10x08 - Abandoned

All episode transcripts (season 1-10) for the TV show "Smallville". Aired: October 2001 to May 2011.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

A young Clark Kent struggles to find his place in the world as he learns to harness his alien powers for good and deals with the typical troubles of teenage life in Smallville.

10x08 - Abandoned

Post by bunniefuu »

"Abandoned"

Original Air Date on November 12, 2010

♪ Somebody save me ♪
♪ "Save Me" ♪ performed by Remy Zero ♪ let your warm hands break right through ♪
♪ somebody save me ♪
♪ I don't care how you do it ♪
♪ just stay ♪
♪ stay ♪
♪ come on ♪
♪ I've been waiting for you ♪
♪ just stay with me ♪
♪ I've made this whole world shine for you ♪
♪ just stay ♪
♪ stay ♪
♪ come on ♪

You know, if you'd just admit that you've moved in with me, you wouldn't have to sneak down here in the middle of the night and unpack your things.

Well, they're not my things. I-I mean, they are my things, technically.

What is it?

Something I've been avoiding for 15 years. The General sent it after he left. It's been in the back of my closet growing up. I've never opened it. It's the keepsakes my mom gave me after she found out she had cancer.

Oh, my God.

It's old Blue.

Mom used to keep it in her kitchen window. I haven't seen it since...

I never went to visit her in the hospital, Clark.

What kind of kid refuses to visit their sick mom?

A really scared one.

She was there for 5 weeks, and... I didn't... I didn't say goodbye to her.

But it looks like she did.

This is from the hospital.

Clark, what if she's angry... That I didn't go see her? You know? I'm not sure I can face this.

Lois, you shouldn't feel guilty for not wanting to open up old wounds.

Haven't you felt like something is missing in your life since you cut ties with your dad?

Well, Jor-El really isn't my dad. He's a machine. It's different.

He sent you all the way here. He created an ice house, and he ... he trained you. He wouldn't do all of those things if he didn't care about you.

Look, if I'm up, I really should be on patrol.

I can stay if you need me to.

It's okay, Clark.

Tess. You said you needed help. I thought you meant Watchtower, not scrapbooking.

Clark, I meant when we came in to work tomorrow morning.

Well, since I'm here... Someone broke into the mansion... And left this with a gift tag. It said, "Happy Birthday, Tess."

It's not my birthday. Someone's messing with me, Clark. And I had this nightmare where I was a little girl, and I was holding this exact music box. And then I woke up and I found it... In the library.

I thought that maybe I'd find a picture of it in this old photo album, but... But this just reminds me why I don't like going home for Christmas.

Tess, I may have found something. Does "Saint Louise's" mean anything to you?

This might come as a surprise to you, Clark, but I've never really identified with any Saints. Who is she?

She's the woman who runs the orphanage. She's the Mother Teresa for needy children. They call her "Granny Goodness."

Try to relax, dear. You just trust Granny, and you'll leave your past behind.

But I don't want to forget!

Your memories are just holding you back, my child. You may not see that now, but after we're done... You'll thank me.

Hope I'm doing this right. Lois... My little girl. I've asked that you girls not be brought to visit me at the hospital. I know you don't like being told what to do, but I want you to have happy memories of me.

Mom...

The Colonel is convinced I'll pull through. He packed a bag with my favorite nightgown and sweater. I didn't know your father noticed those things. He even managed to slip in "Blue." Your father got this for me the day we found out I was pregnant with you. We were stationed in Russia, and there, this is considered a symbol of hope. He's going to do a wonderful job raising you. But sometimes... Girls need their mother. So, as hard as these tapes are to make... They're for the days that... I want to be there... And won't be. Play the tapes. Think of me... Because... Losing a parent can create a hole in a person's heart. Someday... You're going to meet someone special. Knowing you, I'm guessing... Tall, dark, and handsome. And you can't commit to that person fully if you think there's a love that you're missing from some old memory... Like me. You can't let someone leaving you stop your future with someone else. You know, the thing about being a parent is... It doesn't end. Not with age. Not with death. I will always be your mother, Lois. And I will always love you.

I swear I've never been here before.

You may not remember, but that was you standing on those steps 20 years ago. And someone broke into your house to remind you of it.

Hello!

You must be the reporters who called.

Welcome.

Welcome.

The girls have been so excited.

They already feel like celebrities, knowing that our humble little home will be featured in The Daily Planet.

♪ Amazing Grace ♪
♪ how sweet the sound ♪

I left my notebook in the car.

♪ ...Me ♪
♪ I once was... ♪

Are you all right?

Hurry, before Granny comes back!

Granny did this to you?

She said she was gonna make me forget my parents. My mom and dad just d*ed in a car crash. I can't lose my memories of them, too.

Okay, let's go.

That's what Granny turns us into.

Don't worry. I won't let that happen. Just wait in here. I'll be right back. I'll be right back. I'm here to help you.

No one here needs saving... Except you.

Do you know, I've always been able to tell an abandoned soul when I see one? It's a gift.

Do the girls come here as ... as babies?

Unfortunately, tragedy strikes as it pleases.

They come at any age.

It must be difficult to find the older ones permanent homes.

Well, the truth is, by the time I get my hands on the lost souls, they no longer have that cute baby scent childless couples yearn for.

The children don't spend their entire childhoods here, do they? Mercy me.

You make it sound like punishment.

I've been training my girls for decades not to blend into society but to conquer it ... here... And around the world. My girls know I'll always be here for them. And I know they'll never desert me.

I do hope you enjoyed the birthday present.

That music box brought such comfort to you when you were young. I knew it would draw you back to me.

Don't look at me like that.

I just spent some quality time with my mom, and the light bulb... Finally turned on.

Smallville and I can't move forward until he deals with the supersized hole his dad left in his heart.

Come on, I am Watson to his Holmes, Cher to his Sonny?

Just like you're Scooby to his Shaggy.

Fine. Be that way. I'm still gonna try for a thaw in the cold w*r between Clark and his dad.

If this is the door... Where would Clark hide the key?

No going back now.

In my photo album, there are no photos of me before I was 5.

That's because they didn't have you then.

I did.

That dream ... that was a memory. You were chasing me. You were hurting me.

My child, I could never hurt you. I've always loved you.

Stop it! And tell me the truth. Who am I? What happened to me?

Do you think I wanted to say goodbye to you? I was already training you. You had so much promise. Then your birth parents found you a home, forced my hand. They wanted you sent far away, told me to forget about you.

My birth parents... Who were they?

They were powerful. They would have closed us down if I had fought back, but I never... Stopped watching over you. When I heard you were in that hospital, I couldn't let you die. I had to save my dear girl.
Cadmus Labs.

You brought me there?

The scientists did a remarkable job. You can't even see the scars.

Abuse...Is a horrible cycle to break, even for a strong woman. But nothing can break you. I've always known you were stronger than any girl I'd ever chosen before. You've always been my favorite. You see, I'm your true family.

Why don't I remember? Why don't I remember my real parents?

You don't need to remember. Look at everything you've become on your own.

Why are you coming after me now?

With your power, we'll accomplish great things, and, my brilliant girl, very soon, lines will be drawn. Believe me, you'll be glad to have me on your side, of course, it would have been better if you'd come alone. But my girls will take care of your friend.

Where is he? What have you done to him?

I've had quite enough of that behavior. None of my girls ever leave me. I lost your broken soul once. Trust me, I'm not going to let you go again. I have plans for you, Tess. You will be my most valuable soldier in the coming w*r... Whether you want to be... Or not.

Night-night!

It's good to have you home ... back in your old room!

You don't have to do this. I can get you out of here.

Help your younger sisters find real homes!

No one could ever love us as much as Granny.

She controls you. That's not love.

She will never leave us. We'll never be lonely or afraid.

Someone who loves you doesn't make you forget who you are and where you came from.

This is our family now. And you don't know Granny the way we do. Her power is absolute. And she is smarter than any human. Just as these green fire rocks temper our weapons, making them stronger, she makes us stronger. She's preparing. Soon, a great fury will consume this world, and no one will be able to stop us.

Harriet!

I told you to look after our lost lamb... Not slaughter him. Take your sisters to their rooms while I bring peace to our visitor.

I don't care how powerful you are. I won't let you ruin any more lives.

You are in no position to stop me. Once I bury your memories, you'll see life can be so much better without a painful past.

Move it or lose it, sister.

Not exactly home sweet home.

When Clark said you gave him the cold shoulder, he wasn't kidding.

Hello.

Mister...El?

I'm here to talk about your son... Clark.

Kal-El.

Look, I know as a parent, you had to make the hardest decision ever... To save your son and... Send him here alone. When my mom was dying, she tried to protect me, too. And I love her, but she was wrong. I will never get to hold her again. But you ... you can still be there for Clark ... I mean...Kal-el. Your son needs a father who believes in him.

I-I wish knowing that I loved him was enough. But Clark can't fully hear it with the ghost of your disappointment haunting him.

You're stopping him from fulfilling his potential.

He's an amazing man.

He's a hero.

Really?

Nothing?

You know, you may not care about anybody else but yourself, but Clark does. And you are not 1/10 the Kryptonian he is. He's lucky to be rid of you!

Don't fret, my child. I'm here to ease your pain.

I have no pain.

Oh, but you do. You are an abandoned soul. It's not your fault your parents didn't want you. Let me help push all that anger away.

You're way off.

It's tempting, though, isn't it?

No.

Challenges are what make us who we are. The people that I've lost, the things that I've learned ... I wouldn't be the same without them. We've all had moments we regret and people who have let us down. I can take that all away. You just ask any of my girls. I'm the most compassionate one of all.

Thanks.

I thought I could handle that on my own.

I'm so used to... Looking after myself.

You're part of my team now. I wasn't gonna abandon you.

Lois.

Jor-El, let her go! I may not have lived up to your expectations, but if you hurt her, you will have failed all of mine!

Lois, are you all right?

I guess I need to work a little on my dismount.

Jor-El!

He's here!

Clark is here.

Come out, come out, wherever you are!

Lois, he's not talking.

I'm fine with that.

After what he did to you, I'm done.

No.

Wait. I love you too much to let you and your father give up on each other. Just... Try one more time. Please.

My son... I've only had the joy of knowing you a few weeks. I wish I could be with you always to guide you and protect you.

We don't have much time.

My dearest Kal-El, our love will always be with you. I can already see you carry within you your father's independent spirit. But more importantly, your mother's never-ending bravery and her compassionate heart.

Your father tells me the new world you're journeying to, Earth, is full of complicated beings capable of great emotion.

My wish is for you to live a full and wonderful life, but I need you to know, you were born of a great love.

And your brilliant father has devised a way for you to carry on that love... Without us.

The ship I designed to carry you to your destiny can only hold one Kryptonian ... one who has so much potential ... so unlike your father.

No.

Your mother and I cannot come with you.

To do so would be to burden your innocent soul with our frailties and failures.

But you have within you the best of both of us.

And I am sending with you all my knowledge and none of my ego or regrets.

They will die with me here on Krypton.

Whatever trials I put you through, I will never lose faith in you.

Quickly, before it's too late.

We may not have been able to save our planet... But we are confident you will become Earth's greatest savior. And never doubt that, just as you are a part of us, we will always be a part of you. Farewell, my son.

Hello, Granny.

Desaad.

Ah, Godfrey.

Godfrey has been chosen.

Our... Dark Lord... Has anointed him... Made him like us ... a prophet.

He is Darkseid's third minion.

So I do have a higher purpose.

Yes, Godfrey. Your golden voice is broadcast around the world.

Not impressed.

And you ... I see you're enjoying your clubs. They seem more popular than ever.

Our unholy trinity is complete.

I bind their bodies, Godfrey breaks their spirit, and you, my beloved friend, you clear their minds, preparing the way for Lord Darkseid.

Yes and no.

Yes, I think your mother is still watching over you, and, no, I don't think you're crazy.

She didn't want me to see her because she was afraid she would look weak. I think she felt like she had failed me by leaving.

Clark, she's the bravest person I know.

Maybe our parents thought that their mistakes would be some sort of... Burden on us.

I would have liked to have said goodbye. I think I could have handled it.

Maybe they couldn't.

I used to think Jor-El was this strong, unshakable force, kind of like I thought I was supposed to be.

I don't think he's the easiest guy to read, being that he's an Ice Fortress and all. But there's part of him that's very human.

Yeah.

He blames himself for losing our home.

All the weight I thought I had on my shoulders, he was carrying something so much heavier. And he didn't want you to carry it with him. I'm glad that you got to see him.

Thank you for showing me that.

Thank my mom.

Oh, and, um... You can thank her for this, too.

A toothbrush.

My toothbrush.

I'm in.

Why don't you let me take you out? It's power-ballad night at the Ace of Clubs.

Clark Kent and karaoke.

Isn't that one of the signs of the apocalypse?

I'll go get our coats.

Are you blushing?

No! I'm...just happy.

But if we don't, uh, get there soon, someone is gonna steal all the Whitesnake songs.

Hurry up, Clark. It's gonna start soon.

Sooner than you think, Lois.

Daddy?

Daddy, wait! Don't leave me!

Daddy, I love you!

Happy Birthday...

...Lutessa.