07x10 - Journey to the Centre of TARDIS

Episode transcripts for the 2005 TV show "Doctor Who". (Ninth to Twelfth Doctor)*

Moderator: Kitty Midnight

Time and Space traveling adventures of a Gallifreyan Time Lord only known as "the Doctor" and his companions.

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise  Collectibles

Classic Who   Specials  

07x10 - Journey to the Centre of TARDIS

Post by bunniefuu »

EXT. SPACE

A large ship travels through the stars. It's a working ship, not one for pleasure. On the side are the words "Van Balen Brothers".

INT. SHIP, LIVING QUARTERS

The computer screen tells us it's scanning. One of the men is sleeping on a bunk. Stuck into the screening where he can see it is a torn photo showing the two brothers and their father. The other brother is also sleeping. A third man is sitting at a table polishing equipment. He has a barcode on his throat and his eyes zoom in on his task like a computer. The computer starts to beep.

COMPUTER: Incoming salvage, please validate. Incoming salvage, please validate. Incoming salvage, please validate. Incoming salvage, please validate.

The second man stands and walks to the screen as does the third. The screen reads "Zero Salvage Value".

MAN 2: Rusty garbage. It's not worth lacing up my boots.

MAN 3: Wasting our time. There's no salvage this far out.

MAN 2: You're a lucky boy, Tricky. You're an android - you don't get bored.

TRICKY: (looks over at sleeping man) He won't turn back. Not with half a cargo.

MAN 2: He's not captain. We're equal partners.

TRICKY: Yeah, right. (takes sip of drink)

EXT. SPACE

The TARDIS spins through space

INT. TARDIS, CONSOLE ROOM

CLARA is walking around the console, arms crossed. The DOCTOR follows eagerly, trying to persuade her.

DOCTOR: You said...

CLARA: I know what I said. I was the one who said it.

DOCTOR: You said it was looking at you funny.

CLARA: I was tired. Overwrought. I didn't mean it. It's an appliance. It does a job.

DOCTOR: It's a pretty cool appliance. (taps on console) We're not talking cheese grater here!

CLARA: You're not getting me to talk to your ship. That's properly bonkers.

DOCTOR: (strokes console) It's OK, it's OK.

CLARA: You're like one of those guys who can't go out with a girl unless his mother approves.

DOCTOR: It's important to me you get along. I could leave you alone together.

CLARA: Now you're creeping me out.

DOCTOR: Take the wheel... not the wheel. I'll make it easy - shut it down to basic mode for you. (starts working switches on the console)

CLARA: Basic! ‘Cos I'm a girl? (leans on console next to him)

DOCTOR: No.

The DOCTOR smirks when CLARA'S not looking but wipes it from his face when she glares at him. He turns a key.

The TARDIS appears on the computer screen. The first man is now awake and walks over to the others.

MAN: Everyone suit up. It's good salvage. I can smell it.

MAN 2: (eats) It's just trash.

TRICKY: No, look. There's something tasty in the magno-field.

The first MAN leans forward and presses a spot on the screen.

COMPUTER: Magno-grab ready. Engaging.

EXT. SPACE

The large aft doors of the ship open and we see energy massing within.

MAN: (to MAN 2) Move yourself.

The men go to their lockers and put on heavy duty books and cover-alls. The first MAN takes a device from the shelf of a locker and presses the button on top.

EXT. SPACE

A beam sh**t out from the ship and encompasses the TARDIS.

CLARA is smiling, enjoying her lesson. She flips a switch and the TARDIS goes dark.

CLARA: What have I done?

The lights start flashing red.

DOCTOR: Er... OK.

The DOCTOR moves to another section of the console and looks at the screen that displays their location. As he looks, the screen starts cracking. CLARA walks over.

CLARA: Doctor?

DOCTOR: (flicks numerous switches) All the electrical impulses are jammed. I can't get the shields back up. (grunts as pushes on a lever) She's completely vulnerable.

CLARA: I swear I just touched it.

The DOCTOR succeeds in moving the lever. However, sparks fly and the TARDIS lurches, throwing the DOCTOR and CLARA backwards. The DOCTOR makes his way back to the console.

DOCTOR: Magnetic hobble-field. We're flying right into it. Clara, stay by me!

CLARA: (grips side console) Please tell me there's a button you can press to fix this.

DOCTOR: Oh, yes. Big friendly button.

CLARA: You're lying.

DOCTOR: Yep.

CLARA: To stop me freaking out?

DOCTOR: Is it working?

CLARA: Not so much.

A device like the one the MAN had on the other ship rolls across the floor. CLARA picks it up and it burns her hand. She drops it with a gasp. There's another expl*si*n and the DOCTOR is thrown back from the console with a scream.

Matt Smith
Jenna-Louise Coleman

DOCTOR WHO
"Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS"
By
Stephen Thompson

PRODUCER
Marcus Wilson

DIRECTOR
Mat King

INT. SHIP, BAY

The TARDIS is brought deeper into the ship by a series of pincers.

INT. SHIP, VIEWING ROOM

The men watch the ship's progress.

TRICKY: What is it, some kind of escape pod?

MAN: Come on.

The men leave the room.

INT. SHIP, HOLD

The TARDIS is lying on an angle atop a pile of wires and other pieces of salvage. MAN 2 is holding a large sledgehammer and the first MAN seems to have a saw of some type.

MAN: cr*ck it open.

MAN 2 climbs up to the TARDIS and stomps on the door. He then moves on to the sledgehammer. When that doesn't work, he uses the laser.

MAN 2: It's doing nothing.

MAN: Use the thermo-charge and blast it. (throws device at MAN 2)

MAN 2 sets the device on the TARDIS.

TRICKY: (runs over) No! No! No! Wait... (puts a hand on the TARDIS) It's like she's alive. She's...she's suffering. I can feel it. I can feel it.

MAN: That's just robot-rant.

MAN 2: No, Gregor, he's right. Looks like there's a broken fuel line.

GREGOR: All right. All right, put it back. No salvage today, boys. Open the bay doors.

They scramble back down to the floor beside GREGOR. TRICKY spots something.

TRICKY: Wait!

TRICKY walks toward the pile of wires and waves the others over. His eyes zoom in on a pair of legs sticking out.

TRICKY: Somebody's under that thing. The crew were still on board when we dragged her in.

GREGOR: (ushers the others out) We did nothing. If anyone asks, that ship was already busted. You got that? (to TRICKY) And you, make sure you keep your oily-mouth shut.

DOCTOR: (sneaks up and whispers) It's rude to whisper. Hi. I'm the Doctor. (shakes MAN 2'S hand) And you are...? (reads nametag) Van Baalen and... (shakes GREGOR'S hand) Van Baalen. Van Baalen and Van Baalen. That's going to get confusing later.

GREGOR: We found you drifting.

MAN 2: Your ship was junked-up pretty bad.

DOCTOR: (whispers) What broke my ship was a magno-grab. (holds up device) Found this remote in your pocket. Eh? What are the chances? Outlawed in most galaxies. This little beastie can disable whole vessels unless you have shield oscillators, (slaps forehead) which I turned off so that Clara could fly... (throws remote back and forth in his hands) Damn it! Clara! Where is she? Girl. (spins around) About so high. Feisty. (looks back at TARDIS) She's still on board!

The DOCTOR starts to run for the TARDIS but TRICKY holds him back.

TRICKY: No, wait, your pod is leaking fuel. If she's still in there, she's dead.

The DOCTOR turns around and looks into the lockers.

DOCTOR: Ah. Respirators. (heads for the lockers)

GREGOR: We can open the doors for a split second, reach in and grab her.

DOCTOR: (grabs respirators and heads back to the TARDIS) Trust me, we can't. Now, please, help me get her out.

TRICKY: I'm telling you, she fried...

GREGOR: Shut it, tin-mouth! (to DOCTOR) What sort of fee are we talking?

DOCTOR: (stands by TARDIS) If you help me get her out, you get the machine, all the scrap, eh?

MAN 2: It's not worth the risk. Four feet of metal? Nah.

DOCTOR: What if I can guarantee you the best haul you've ever had?

GREGOR: Bram, open the bay doors.

BRAM and GREGOR start to walk away.

DOCTOR: No, no, please, stop! Listen, listen. Right behind those doors is the salvage of a lifetime.

INT. TARDIS, CORRIDOR

The corridor is littered with debris. It is glowing red under emergency lights. Wires are hanging from the ceiling. Some are live and sparking. CLARA is lying under a large piece of metal.

CLARA: (looks around) Doctor? (pushes the piece off her and sits up) Doctor?

CLARA stands and takes a few steps. We can hear the cloister bell in the background. She looks at her hand from where she b*rned it on the device and sees marks. She blows on it to cool it. She walks down the corridor to a closed door with a red light flashing above it.

CLARA: Red flashing light...means something bad. Get out of here fast? Or possibly, whatever you do, don't open this door.

CLARA ponders a moment before pressing the button to the right of the door. The door opens and there is an expl*si*n.

CLARA: Bad decision.

CLARA runs down the corridor to escape the fire. She finds herself in another corridor that was clear of debris. She ducks through another doorway and closes it behind her. Something on the wall catches her eye. It is long scratch marks. She puts her hand up to it and the marks line up with her fingers.

INT. SHIP, HOLD

The men are putting on gear for going within the TARDIS. The DOCTOR and TRICKY are at the lockers while GREGOR and BRAM walk away.

BRAM: Hey, are we really going to risk it? That thing is spewing poison. We should blow it back into space.

GREGOR: Get your gear.

BRAM: Hey! I don't take orders from my kid brother.

GREGOR: Don't try and form sentences, all right? Stick to what you do best. (taps BRAM on the cheek before leaving)

BRAM walks back to the lockers, past the DOCTOR who had witnessed the exchange. The DOCTOR watches as TRICKY gets his gear.

DOCTOR: Tell me, since when does an android need a blast suit and a respirator?

BRAM: Flesh coating, same as us. He'd burn up.

TRICKY: No fear, no hate, no pain.

TRICKY puts the respirator over his nose and mouth and follows BRAM. The DOCTOR puts on his respirator and goes over to the TARDIS. He stands on the ledge and inserts the key.

GREGOR: "Salvage of a lifetime?"

DOCTOR: I feel pretty confident I can deliver on that. There we go.

The DOCTOR kicks the door open and smoke billows out. The men slip on their goggles and switch on their torches.

The DOCTOR enters first. Even though the TARDIS is lying on its side, it is not reflected inside.

GREGOR: I don't get it. I thought she was lying on her side.

DOCTOR: The TARDIS is special. She has her own gravity. I'd explain if I had some charts and a board pen. (heads to console)

TRICKY: It's... it's bigger...

DOCTOR: On the inside. Do you know, I get that a lot.

BRAM: Whoa. Awesome!

DOCTOR: Well put. Whoa and awesome. (flicks a switch and the smoke is pulled through the vents) Safe to breathe.

Everyone removes their respirators.

DOCTOR: OK. Now. The last thing I remember, you were right here. (moves to where CLARA had been standing and scans with the sonic) Come on, Clara, talk to me.

BRAM: How big is this baby?

DOCTOR: Picture the biggest ship you've ever seen. Are you picturing it?

BRAM: Yeah.

DOCTOR: Good. Now forget it. This ship is infinite. (walks to console and uses controls)

GREGOR: It could take you hours to find the girl.

DOCTOR: Days! Plus the whole place is toxic. She could be dead by the time I reach her. So. Here's the mission. We're going to find her in one hour.

GREGOR: We?

DOCTOR: You're my guys for this.

GREGOR: That wasn't the deal.

DOCTOR: 'Tis now.

GREGOR: What makes you think we'll help?

The DOCTOR flips two levers and a countdown starts on the screen.

DOCTOR: I just activated the TARDIS self-destruct system. One hour until this ship blows.

BRAM runs for the door but it slams shut.

DOCTOR: Don't try to leave. The TARDIS is in lockdown. I'll open those doors when Clara's by my side.

BRAM: You crazy lunatic!

DOCTOR: (turns on BRAM) My ship, my rules!

GREGOR: You'll k*ll us all. And the girl.

DOCTOR: She's going to die if you don't help me. Don't get into a spaceship with a madman.

The men run to the door to try and force it open.

DOCTOR: Didn't anyone ever teach you that? OK. A little gentle persuasion. Say 30 minutes.

The DOCTOR flicks some switches and presses a button. The countdown changes to 30 minutes.

BRAM: She'll die even quicker now!

DOCTOR: We all perform better under pressure. Anybody want to go for 15 minutes? (his finger hovers over the button)

BRAM: Whoa!

GREGOR: Whoa!

DOCTOR: It's your own time you're wasting. Salvage of a lifetime. You meant the ship. I meant Clara.

INT. TARDIS, CORRIDOR

CLARA hears growling, spots a door and opens it.

INT. TARDIS, STORAGE ROOM

CLARA closes the door behind her. Immediately to her right is the cradle that had been River's. She touches the mobile and runs a hand along the edge. Further in the room, she sees a toy TARDIS Amy made as a child. She spins it in the air before putting it down on a table. She picks up a magnifying glass and an umbrella. She is not alone in the room. There is a shadowy figure with glowing red eyes. CLARA sees it and runs from the room.

INT. TARDIS, CORRIDOR

The DOCTOR is leading the way with the sonic screwdriver. GREGOR lags in the back with his hand-held scanner.

GREGOR: Report. What's on board this thing?

COMPUTER: 'Dynomorphic generators, conceptual geometer, beam synthesiser, orthogonal engine filters.'

GREGOR: (catches up to the others) Guys, guys, look. I think we should split up. It's our best chance of finding the girl. You know it is.

DOCTOR: (checks watch) Don't touch a thing. The TARDIS will get huffy if you mess.

GREGOR: (to TRICKY) Keep in radio contact, all right?

TRICKY nods and leaves with the DOCTOR.

GREGOR: (to BRAM) Get back to the console. Strip it apart. All right?

The brothers split up.

INT. TARDIS, CORRIDOR

CLARA runs through the corridors followed by the same creature. We see a little more of it this time. It is ossified, one of its hands stuck to its face. As she runs from it, she passes the observatory with large telescope and the swimming pool. She runs through an open door.

INT. TARDIS, LIBRARY

CLARA ducks behind a shelf bearing some small bottles. She looks at her b*rned hand and can see letters forming. She blows on it and looks up distractedly. She steps forward, stunned.

CLARA: Now that's just showing off.

She sees she is in a large library consisting of five ornate levels.

BRAM re-enters the room. He walks straight up to the console and tries to open one of the panels. He finally succeeds, setting it on the floor. We hear voices from the past as he walks around the console.

SUSAN: (V.O.) I made up the name TARDIS from the initials. Time and Relative Dimension in Space.

THIRD DOCTOR: (V.O.) The TARDIS is dimensionally transcendental.

JO: (V.O.) What does that mean?

ELEVENTH DOCTOR: (V.O.) You sexy thing!

IDRIS: (V.O.) See, you do call me that! Is it my name?

ELEVENTH DOCTOR: (V.O.) You bet it's your name!

FOURTH DOCTOR: (V.O.) That's trans-dimensional engineering. A key Time Lord discovery.

NINTH DOCTOR: (V.O.) The assembled hordes of Genghis Khan couldn't get through that door. Believe me, they've tried.

BRAM makes his way to the level underneath the console.

MARTHA: (V.O.) It's just a box with that room crammed in!

AMY: (V.O.) We are in space!

IAN: (V.O.) It can move anywhere in time and space?

FIFTH DOCTOR: (V.O.) You've changed the desktop theme, haven't you?

INT. TARDIS, CORRIDOR

GREGOR is still scanning as he slowly walks the corridors.

COMPUTER: Everything.

GREGOR: What? Report. (stops)

COMPUTER: Everything. Behind that door.

GREGOR: (faces door) "Everything?"

COMPUTER: Sensor detects everything you could possibly want.

GREGOR pushes the button to the side of the door and it slides open.

INT. TARDIS, ROOM

GREGOR enters the room. In front of him, hanging from the centre, were tendrils that look to be both organic and metallic. On some of them were glowing crystals. It looks almost like a tree. GREGOR'S eyes widen.

COMPUTER: Everything.

GREGOR: I don't understand. Give me a price tag.

COMPUTER: Incalculable.

GREGOR: What?

COMPUTER: More valuable than the total sum of any currency. Living metal. Bespoke engineering. Whatever machine you require, this system will build it.

GREGOR puts the computer away. He looks around carefully and edges his way towards one of the crystals. He puts his hands on it and it goes dark. He picks up his laser and begins to cut away at the tendrils. The DOCTOR runs in followed by TRICKY. GREGOR lowers the laser.

DOCTOR: No! No, no. Stop! Please! Don't! Don't touch it. Please. She won't let you touch it. I can feel a TARDIS tantrum coming on. (strokes one of the crystals)

GREGOR: What the hell is this place?

DOCTOR: Architectural Reconfiguration System. It reconstructs particles according to your needs.

GREGOR: A machine that makes machines?

DOCTOR: Yes. Basically.

GREGOR picks up the laser once again.

TRICKY: What are you doing?

DOCTOR: No, no, don't! Don't! If you walk out of here with that circuit, the TARDIS will try to stop you! Now listen to me. Look, the clock is ticking. We must find Clara!

The DOCTOR reaches out a hand slowly. GREGOR yanks the crystal free. The others go dark for a moment before flickering back on. A high-pitch whine causes the DOCTOR and TRICKY to cover their ears. GREGOR puts the crystal into his pack and heads for the door – or where the door had been.

TRICKY: What the...? (walks over) Where's the door gone?

DOCTOR: Ever see a spaceship get ugly?

TRICKY: This isn't happening. (tries to find a way out)

DOCTOR: She won't relinquish it. Her basic genetic material.

GREGOR: Torch it.

GREGOR throws a device at TRICKY. TRICKY catches it but hesitates.

GREGOR: I said torch it!

TRICKY: Can't you feel it, Gregor? The ship's in torment, like it's a living thing. You can't hurt it.

GREGOR activates the device and approaches the wall. The door appears and slides open.

GREGOR: What's the matter, TARDIS? Scared to fight me?

GREGOR strides out followed by TRICKY. After a moment, the DOCTOR follows.

INT. TARDIS, LIBRARY

A book on a stand catches CLARA'S attention and she walks towards it. The title is "The History of the Time w*r". She opens it and turns a few pages. She leans in as she reads.

CLARA: So that's who...

She hears the growling again and ducks behind a bookshelf. The creature enters the room. CLARA crawls over to another row of shelves. On one of the shelves above her are bottles containing the Encyclopedia Gallifreyae. She peeks out and sees the creature getting closer. She pulls back, knocking one of the bottles loose. She hears whispers from the spilled bottle and stands to fan it away. The creature comes closer but then runs past her. Quickly, CLARA runs back out the way she came in.

INT. TARDIS, CORRIDOR

The DOCTOR leads GREGOR and TRICKY through the corridors. They soon end up in the same intersection.

TRICKY: It's the same. It's just the same.

DOCTOR: It's diverting us, spinning a maze around us. We will never reach Clara in time.

GREGOR glares at the DOCTOR and takes the right corridor.

DOCTOR: Hey! Hey!

The DOCTOR and TRICKY follow GREGOR and enter the same spot from the left.

TRICKY: It's just the same, again.

DOCTOR: No point in building walls. You'll just know how to smash them down. It's found other ways of controlling you. Smart bunch, Time Lords. No dress sense, dreadful hats, but smart. If you want to get out of here, let that circuit go. It is creating a labyrinth.

TRICKY: (into radio) Bram? Bram? Can you hear me?

BRAM opens a section under the console to reveal a shaft with a ladder down one side. Running down the center are glowing wires.

TRICKY: (over radio) Bram, the ship is alive. Get out of there. Bram, don't touch anything.

BRAM: You're just the sweetest thing ever. (enters the shaft)

CLARA finds herself in the console room and smiles. This does not look like the one BRAM was in as its panels are intact.

CLARA: Oh, thank you. (spins around and clasps her hands) Thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you! (laughs, runs up to the console and kisses it) Ah! Mwah! (looks around) No! The door? (runs to where the door should be) Where's the door gone now? You can't do this! (yells at TARDIS)

INT. TARDIS, UNDER CONSOLE ROOM

BRAM climbs down the ladder.

TRICKY: (over radio) Bram? You've got to get out of there fast.

BRAM'S back touches the wires and he grunts in pain. He falls to the floor below. He slowly stands up and brushes himself off. He looks up and sees a creature in the corridor. The creature rushes towards him with a growl. It knocks him to the floor. BRAM screams as he struggles. He soon falls silent and still. Steam rises from the body.

INT. TARDIS, CORRIDOR

TRICKY is listening for a response from BRAM. The DOCTOR pulls out the sonic and begins to scan ahead.

TRICKY: Channel's dead. We've got to help him. Gregor, do something. Do something!

GREGOR: It's too late. He's gone! Let's just worry about the salvage!

TRICKY: (shoves GREGOR) You care more about the circuit than you do about him!

The DOCTOR comes back and pulls them apart.

DOCTOR: Your concern for your brother is really touching. The android is more cut up about it than you. Now will you two stop bickering and listen! There is something else down there.

The DOCTOR starts scanning again.

TRICKY: We've got to get out of here! Gregor, give it back. Give it back to her. (reaches for the pack)

GREGOR: What are you doing? (pushes TRICKY against the wall) You're always on the side of the machines!

DOCTOR: Fellas! Multiple life forms on board the TARDIS with us. (backs up until he's level with the others) I am getting a massive signal.

TRICKY: Where are they?

DOCTOR: Oh, you're not going to like the answer. About two steps away. One step.

They slowly turn around and scream as they see the creature. This one seems to be two fused together. It reaches for them and growls.

DOCTOR: Gregor, look out! Careful! Gregor! (GREGOR runs down the hall opposite) No! We have to stay together. Come on. Tricky, run! (TRICKY runs) I'm sorry. (runs after TRICKY)

INT. TARDIS, CORRIDOR

CLARA makes her way down a red-lit corridor until she finds herself in…

…the same console room as before. She points at the entrance and then at the console before leaving again, puzzled.

INT. TARDIS, CORRIDOR

CLARA walks away from the console room entrance and down another corridor. She turns a corner and she's in…

…the console room again. She runs back out.

INT. TARDIS, CORRIDOR

CLARA stops and scratches her head before running down another corridor.

CLARA runs into the room and up the steps.

CLARA: Why are you doing this?

TRICKY and the DOCTOR enter the console room. It is not the one BRAM was in and it is not the one CLARA is in.

TRICKY: Back where we started.

DOCTOR: No. It's an echo. (runs up to the console) The console room is the safest place on the ship. (circles the console) It can replicate itself any number of times. It's trying to protect us.

TRICKY: Because I tried to give back the circuit?

DOCTOR: Team TARDIS. (pats him on the face)

The DOCTOR stars fiddling with the controls and knocks a piece loose.

CLARA is sitting disconsolate as a piece falls from the console.

TRICKY: Where did... where did that go?

DOCTOR: There's more than one echo room. (sees a shadow move and points) Hey, look, look!

CLARA walks slowly around the console.

DOCTOR: The TARDIS has got Clara safe. That was her. That was her there. (kisses his fingers and presses them against the column) Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

TRICKY: Why can't we see her?

DOCTOR: It's like a light switch. Two positions. Flickering at super-infinite speeds. We're only together for a brief second.

CLARA backs away slowly.

DOCTOR: Shh!

CLARA gasps.

The DOCTOR walks slowly around the console.

DOCTOR: I can hear her.

CLARA backs away towards the stairs.

The DOCTOR listens for CLARA.

CLARA opens the door and there is another creature there. It runs in and CLARA screams as she runs up to the console.

The DOCTOR hears the scream.

DOCTOR: She's let it in. She's let it in! (works the controls)

CLARA keeps the console between herself and the creature. The creature seems to mimic her movements.

The DOCTOR works different controls.

DOCTOR: Ah... if I can just isolate her position, I can nudge the alternation - reach in and grab her.

CLARA tilts her head and the creature tilts its head.

CLARA: Who are you?

COMPUTER: Console room, echo imprint of the original.

The DOCTOR and TRICKY turn around to see GREGOR directly behind them, the computer in his hand.

GREGOR: You're coming with me. I need you to get me out of here.

The DOCTOR uses the sonic on the computer.

COMPUTER: Scanning for female human.

The creature charges at CLARA and she finds herself backed against the wall where the external door would be.

GREGOR walks around with the scanner.

COMPUTER: Scanning for female human.

The creature slowly approaches CLARA, steam rising from its hand.

GREGOR walks around with the scanner.

COMPUTER: Unidentified human.

The DOCTOR takes the computer from GREGOR.

DOCTOR: It doesn't know Lancashire.

TRICKY: What?

DOCTOR: It doesn't know sass. Yes! It's found Clara! It's found her. She is right there.

The DOCTOR uses the sonic and an image of CLARA pressed against the wall starts to come through.

CLARA screams as the creature comes towards her.

The DOCTOR puts the sonic into his other hand and pulls CLARA free. She screams as he holds her. She pulls away and spins around, taking deep breaths.

DOCTOR: It's all right. Clara, I'm so, so sorry. Please, please forgive me...

CLARA punches him in the shoulder and walks away.

DOCTOR: Ow! (rubs shoulder) OK, so we're not doing hugging, I get that now.

CLARA: What do you keep in here?! Why have you got zombie creatures? Good guys do not have zombie creatures. Rule one. (hits him again) Basic storytelling.

DOCTOR: Not in front of the guests.

CLARA looks over and TRICKY gives a little wave.

CLARA: Who are they?

DOCTOR: Friends. Well, people who aren't trying to k*ll us, so I don't need punching again!

CLARA glares at him and walks off to lean against the rail.

GREGOR: All right, all right - a deal's a deal. You got the girl back. Now cancel the self-destruct.

DOCTOR: Ah. Ah. You know, (claps a hand on GREGOR'S shoulder) I've got to tell you, I won't be needing you in my quiz team.

GREGOR: What?

DOCTOR: There is no self-destruct. (joke-punches GREGOR) Hey! Hey! Hey! Had you going, though, boys, didn't I? (rubs GREGOR'S head) I just wiggled a few buttons. The old wiggly-button trick. And the face. You've got to do the face. "Save her or we all die." I thought I rushed it a bit, but...

TRICKY: So you're telling us we're safe?

DOCTOR: Ish. Apart from the monsters and the TARDIS reinventing the architecture every five minutes. Guys, don't worry, the countdown's a fake. Look, just give me just a second. I'll turn it off. (flicks switches) I only made it look as though the engine was actually exploding. (alarm goes off) Ah. (screen reads Engine Overload) That's not good. OK, don't panic, or maybe panic.

CLARA: Something you want to share with the rest of us?

DOCTOR: It appears the engine is damaged. We're in trouble, Clara. Proper trouble. It needs fixing or we're toast. (runs to the lower level)

CLARA: So now would be a good time to use that big friendly button, right?

CLARA, TRICKY and GREGOR run after him.

DOCTOR: Yeah, sorry, I should have had one built in.

He uses the sonic on one of the panels.

TRICKY: Where are we going?

The panel falls inward.

DOCTOR: Detour. (kneels) The centre of the TARDIS.

INT. TARDIS, CORRIDOR

The DOCTOR leads the way with the sonic down a green-lit corridor. CLARA walks closely behind him followed by GREGOR and TRICKY. A shadow passes the corridor in front of them.

CLARA: Shush! Something's in here.

TRICKY: Those... things. They've followed us.

CLARA: Doctor, what are they? What aren't you telling me?

DOCTOR: Trust me. Some things you don't want to know.

One of the creatures passes behind them.

GREGOR: They're on the move again!

DOCTOR: Run! Move, move!

They run away.

INT. TARDIS, CORRIDOR

CLARA runs and stops when she realizes she's lost the others.

CLARA: Doctor? (retraces her steps) Doctor? Again!

CLARA continues on and stops at an intersection. She spins around, unable to decide which way to go. She looks down at her b*rned hand and the letters seem a little clearer. She looks up and sees herself stride down the corridor in front of her.

CLARA 2: I know what I said. I was the one who said it.

DOCTOR: (V.O.) You said it was looking at you funny.

CLARA turns around to go the other way and sees herself.

CLARA 2: Now you're creeping me out.

CLARA can only stare.

CLARA 2: Please tell me there's a button you can press to fix this?

CLARA backs away and heads down another corridor. She gasps when she sees the DOCTOR.

CLARA: Oh, thank God. Doctor, what's going on? (waves her hand when he doesn't acknowledge her) Say something.

The DOCTOR walks up behind her.

DOCTOR: Clara, stop. (points) Don't touch it. There's a rupture in time somewhere onboard the ship. A small tear in the fabric of the continuum. It must have happened when the TARDIS was pulled in by the salvage vessel. (takes her hand and pulls her along) The TARDIS is leaking.

CLARA: Leaking what?

DOCTOR: The past. You and me. Everything we've done, everything we've said. Recent history. It's not real, it's a memory.

They stop when they see a creature in front of them.

CLARA: (whispers) What about this?

DOCTOR: (whispers) If you're giving me the option, I'd say, "This one's real."

The DOCTOR pushes CLARA ahead of him as they run away. The creature chases them.

DOCTOR: She's right onto us.

CLARA: (stops) She?

DOCTOR: Clara, don't ask me anymore.

The DOCTOR yanks her by the hand and pulls her into a small niche to the side. They press themselves against the wall behind a girder as the creature pauses. On the opposite side, PAST DOCTOR and PAST CLARA walk down the corridor.

PAST CLARA: You're like one of those guys who can't go out with a girl unless his mother approves.

PAST DOCTOR: It's important to me you get along...

The creature follows the past selves. The DOCTOR and CLARA step out from their hiding place. There is a groaning sound and the DOCTOR looks up at the ceiling.

CLARA: What's that noise?

DOCTOR: We're right under the primary fuel cells.

CLARA: So? So? So what?

DOCTOR: So... so the fuel has spilled out. So the rods will be exposed. Means they'll cool...

CLARA: And start to warp.

DOCTOR: And start to warp. Maybe even...

CLARA: No. You don't say it. Don't you dare say it.

DOCTOR: Maybe even break apart.

A large rod sh**t down at an angle directly in front of them. They back away.

CLARA: Run?

DOCTOR: I'm liking how you're thinking.

CLARA: Yeah.

They turn and run down the corridor behind them, ducking and dodging rods as they sh**t through the walls.

INT. TARDIS, CORRIDOR

We hear a groan of pain and see that TRICKY has been impaled through his shoulder by one of the rods. GREGOR is trying to pull it free.

TRICKY: Cut it off. Just cut my arm off.

GREGOR: No!

TRICKY: It's the quickest way to release me. No fear, no hate, no pain. I can get a new one. Disposable parts, just do it. It won't hurt me.

GREGOR: Tricky, you don't understand.

TRICKY: I'm an android. Cut me!

CLARA and the DOCTOR find them.

CLARA: You made it through.

TRICKY: What's the matter with you? Why won't you cut me?

The DOCTOR tries to help GREGOR.

DOCTOR: Tell him. (lets go)

TRICKY: Tell me what?

DOCTOR: You can't, can you? You're a coward. You won't save him, but you're scared to tell him why.

TRICKY: What's he going on about?

DOCTOR: Robots don't need blast suits. They don't need respirators. They don't get frightened of monsters in the dark.

TRICKY: What's he talking about?

The DOCTOR shines the sonic in TRICKY'S eyes.

DOCTOR: Two bionic eyes and a synthetic voice box. (puts a hand on TRICKY'S uninjured shoulder) But you, my friend, are human. Flesh and blood.

TRICKY stares at GREGOR, hurt and lost.

GREGOR: It was a joke.

TRICKY: Wha...?

GREGOR: It was just a stupid joke. We did it to relieve the boredom.

DOCTOR: Well, it was very funny. They lied to you. Changed your identity. Just to provide some in-flight entertainment!

GREGOR: I'm sorry. You're human, Tricky.

DOCTOR: Cut the metal. Cut the metal! (claps his hands) Go!

GREGOR picks up the laser and starts cutting the rod.

INT. TARDIS, CORRIDOR

The DOCTOR leads them down the hall. TRICKY staggers along at the back, his arm bandaged. The DOCTOR looks through the round window in the door.

CLARA: Where are we?

DOCTOR: Power source. Right, you lot, wait here. I'll check it's safe. We can only survive for a minute or two in there.

CLARA: (taps the DOCTOR on the shoulder) Um...what happens if we stay longer?

DOCTOR: Our cells will liquefy and our skin will start to burn.

CLARA: I always feel so good after we've spoken.

DOCTOR: Marvellous. Keep this door shut. (opens door)

CLARA: That will not be a problem.

The door closes behind him.

INT. TARDIS, POWER ROOM

The DOCTOR looks around and takes a few breaths as he gets his bearings in the heat-filled room.

INT. TARDIS, CORRIDOR

CLARA leans against the wall by the door. GREGOR is diagonally across the corridor from her and TRICKY is leaning against the wall and little ways down from CLARA. GREGOR holds the computer up and it scans CLARA.

COMPUTER: Lancashire. Sass.

GREGOR: Intelligent sensor.

TRICKY: (angry) Ever pointed that thing at yourself, Gregor? What would it see? What sort of person does this to another human? Made them believe they're made of metal! (grabs GREGOR by the arm and turns him around) Who am I?

GREGOR rips the patch off his sleeve and hands it to TRICKY. TRICKY looks at it and walks to the end of the hall.

INT. TARDIS, POWER ROOM

The DOCTOR runs across the catwalk to the far door while using his sonic. It unlocks and the DOCTOR tugs on it and it finally opens. He looks up.

INT. TARDIS, CORRIDOR

GREGOR: My mouthy little kid brother.

TRICKY: (turns around) Why... why can't I remember?

GREGOR: Salvage accident. There was a big expl*si*n. You lost your sight, voice and your memory.

TRICKY: And you... you thought of a way you could have some fun with me? (walks closer) I just wanted a brother beside me.

GREGOR: You were always the smart one, Tricky. He wanted you to take over. He made you captain.

TRICKY: He?

GREGOR: Dad.

TRICKY: I don't... remember him.

INT. TARDIS, POWER ROOM

The DOCTOR runs back across the catwalk.

INT. TARDIS, CORRIDOR

TRICKY: You did this to me, just to be captain of a heap of junk.

TRICKY charges his brother but the DOCTOR arrives to push them apart.

CLARA: Stop!

DOCTOR: Tricky, listen to me. Ask yourself why he couldn't cut you up. He has just one tiny scrap of decency left in him. You just helped him find that, OK? Now you. Don't ever forget this.

INT. TARDIS, POWER ROOM

The DOCTOR holds the door open for the others.

DOCTOR: OK, move, move, move.

The others stop and look up as the DOCTOR moves along the rail. We see what powers the TARDIS.

DOCTOR: The Eye of Harmony. Exploding star in the act of becoming a black hole. Time Lord engineering - you rip the star from its orbit, suspend it in a permanent state of decay. This way. (motions with his arm) Quickly.

TRICKY and GREGOR follow the DOCTOR. GREGOR is helping his brother across. CLARA stares at the Eye of Harmony a little longer. The DOCTOR opens the far door and a creature is there waiting for them. GREGOR helps him close it. They run back to the other side and GREGOR opens the door and another creature is there. He slams it shut.

GREGOR: There's no way out. We're trapped.

The DOCTOR runs for the other door and CLARA confronts him.

CLARA: You're going to tell me now! If we're going to die in here, tell me what they are. (grabs his arm)

DOCTOR: I can't.

CLARA: Tell me! What's the use in secrets now?

DOCTOR: (grips her head) Secrets protect us. Secrets make us safe.

CLARA: (pushes his hands away) We're not safe!

GREGOR uses the scanner on one of the creatures as it pounds on the door.

COMPUTER: Sensor detects animal DNA, human core element. Calculating data. Calculating data.

The DOCTOR hears and runs over.

DOCTOR: No, no. Turn it off!

COMPUTER: Lancashire. Sass. Identifiable substance. Clara.

The DOCTOR turns slowly to look at CLARA. GREGOR and TRICKY head back to the other door.

CLARA: That's me. (takes a few steps towards the DOCTOR)

DOCTOR: I'm so sorry.

CLARA: (looks through the window) It's me. I burn in here.

DOCTOR: It isn't just the past leaking out through the time rift. It's the future. Listen, (holds her face) I brought you here to keep you safe, but it happened again. You d*ed again.

CLARA: What do you mean, again?

The DOCTOR runs a hand over his face and hair. One of the creatures has his hand fused to his face. The DOCTOR takes his hand from his face and stares at it. TRICKY and GREGOR stand side-by-side at the door. One of the creatures is made of two joined together at the side.

DOCTOR: Hang on. As long as we interrupt the timeline, this can't happen. (runs to the other door and pushes the brother apart) Don't touch each other, otherwise the future will reassert itself.

The DOCTOR pulls them to the centre of the catwalk as the creatures push through the door. One grabs GREGOR'S pack. The DOCTOR helps TRICKY.

DOCTOR: Gregor! Gregor, let go of the circuit.

TRICKY: Just let it go!

DOCTOR: Gregor!

TRICKY: Gregor!

GREGOR slips out of the pack and backs away to the others. TRICKY takes a swing at the creature and it falls over the rail. They rush towards the door and pull away when the "double" creature appears at the door. They run towards the other and the last creature punches a hand through the window. They group in the middle of the catwalk.

DOCTOR: OK. Er... er...

TRICKY goes at the creature with a crowbar, When it's down low, he kicks it off the rail. It falls and TRICKY nearly falls off himself, holding onto the ledge. GREGOR goes to help him.

GREGOR: Tricky!

The DOCTOR and CLARA look back.

DOCTOR: Don't touch him, or time will reassert itself.

GREGOR helps TRICKY back onto the catwalk but they soon become fused together and turn into the creature. They come after the DOCTOR and CLARA who run out the other door and close it behind them.

INT. TARDIS, CORRIDOR

The DOCTOR sonics the lock on the door.

DOCTOR: The engine room. The heart of the TARDIS.

The DOCTOR takes CLARA by the hand and leads her through another door.

INT. TARDIS, ENGINE ROOM

They go through the door and nearly fall off a cliff ledge.

CLARA: We're outside.

DOCTOR: No, we're still in the TARDIS.

CLARA: There's no way across.

DOCTOR: No. OK, you're right.

CLARA: So what do we do? Time for a plan. Do you have a plan?

DOCTOR: Well, no. No plan, sorry.

CLARA: If you don't have a plan, we're dead!

DOCTOR: Yes, we are. So just tell me.

CLARA: Tell you what?

DOCTOR: Well, there's no point now, we're about to die, so just tell me who you are.

CLARA: You know who I am.

DOCTOR: No, I don't! I look at you every single day, and I don't understand a thing about you. Why do I keep running into you? (heads for the door)

CLARA: Doctor, you invited me - you said...

DOCTOR: (walks back) Before that. I met you in the Dalek Asylum. There was a girl in a shipwreck, and she d*ed saving my life. And she was you.

CLARA: She really wasn't.

DOCTOR: Victorian London. There was a governess who was a barmaid, and we fought the Great Intelligence together, she d*ed, and it was my fault - and she was you.

CLARA: You're scaring me.

DOCTOR: What are you, eh? Are you a trick, a trap?

CLARA: I don't know what you're talking about.

CLARA backs away from the DOCTOR and almost falls off the ledge. The DOCTOR grips her in a huge hug. She grips him back and gasps.

DOCTOR: All right. All right. (ends the hug) You really don't, do you?

CLARA: I think I'm more scared of you right now than anything else on that TARDIS.

DOCTOR: You're just Clara, aren't you?

The DOCTOR laughs as he touches CLARA'S face and pinches her cheeks. He takes her in another hug.

CLARA: OK. I don't know what the hell this is about, but the hug is really nice.

DOCTOR: (ends hug) We're not going to die here. This isn't real! It's a snarl. (throws a rock over the edge)

CLARA: What?

DOCTOR: What does a wounded animal do? It tries to scare everyone away. We're close to the engine. The TARDIS is snarling at us, trying to frighten us off. We need to jump.

CLARA: You're insane.

DOCTOR: We'll cross a portal to the engine.

The DOCTOR claps his hands and he and CLARA back up to the door.

CLARA: How can you be so sure?

DOCTOR: Well, I can't.

CLARA: OK, well, that's watertight.

DOCTOR: (wags his finger at her) Hey, now, Clara, I've piloted this ship for over 900 years. Trust me this one time, please. (she arches an eyebrow at him) OK. OK. As well as all the other times. Ready? Geronimo.

They run and leap off the cliff only to land in a white room. Suspended throughout the room are pieces of machinery. The DOCTOR and CLARA walk through it.

DOCTOR: The heart of the TARDIS. The engine - it's already exploded. It must have been the collision with the salvage ship.

CLARA: We're not dead.

DOCTOR: She wrapped her hands around the force. Froze it.

CLARA: So... so it's safe?

DOCTOR: Temporary fix. Eventually, this whole place will erupt. There's no way I can save her now. She's just always been there for me, taken care of me. And now it's my turn and I don't know what to do. It... it just...

CLARA comes up and takes the DOCTOR'S hand in hers. The DOCTOR feels the burns and looks at her palm.

DOCTOR: (smiles) Oh, Clara. Oh. You are beautiful.

The letters on CLARA'S hand spell out "Big Friendly Button".

DOCTOR: (cups her face) Beautiful fragile human skin. (kisses her palm) Like parchment. Thank you. (takes out sonic) The rift in time. All the memories leaking out. I need to find the moment we crashed. I need to find... the music. (music fills the room)

The DOCTOR takes CLARA by the hand and runs from the room.

The DOCTOR and CLARA enter the console room using the sonic screwdriver to guide them. He spots a cr*ck in the wall under the console and walks over to it.

DOCTOR: The time rift. Recent past. Possible future.

CLARA: What are you going to do?

The DOCTOR has the remote for the magno-grab and uses the sonic to write on it.

DOCTOR: Rewrite today, I hope. I've thrown this through the rift before. I need to make sure this time. Going to take it in there myself. There might be a certain amount of yelling.

CLARA: It's going to hurt?

DOCTOR: Things that end your life often do that. (heads for the rift)

CLARA: Wait! All those things you said. How we've met before. How I d*ed...

DOCTOR: (walks back to CLARA) Clara, don't worry. You'll forget. Time mends us. It can mend anything.

CLARA: I don't want to forget. Not all of it. The library. I saw it. You were mentioned in a book.

DOCTOR: (pulls back a little) I'm mentioned in a lot of books. (starts back to the rift)

CLARA: You call yourself Doctor. (he points at her) Why do you do that? You have a name. I've seen it. In one corner of that tiny...

The DOCTOR hurries back and presses a finger to her lips.

DOCTOR: If I rewrite today, you won't remember. You won't go looking for my name.

CLARA: You'll still have secrets.

DOCTOR: (gently pats her cheek) Better that way.

The DOCTOR psychs himself up and then steps into the rift. He screams in agony before disappearing for CLARA'S view.

Sparks fly and the TARDIS lurches, throwing the DOCTOR and CLARA backwards. The DOCTOR makes his way back to the console.

DOCTOR: Magnetic hobble-field. We're flying right into it. Clara, stay by me!

CLARA: (grips side console) Please tell me there's a button you can press to fix this.

DOCTOR: Oh, yes. Big friendly button.

CLARA: You're lying.

DOCTOR: Yep.

CLARA: To stop me freaking out?

DOCTOR: Is it working?

CLARA: Not so much.

The DOCTOR reaches through the rift and calls to his past self who has been knocked against the rail.

DOCTOR: Doctor. Doctor. I'm from your future. We haven't got long. It's a reset dial.

The DOCTOR dissipates into air and the device falls from his hand and rolls across the floor. CLARA picks it up and it burns her hand.

DOCTOR: No! No!

CLARA lets go of the device and the DOCTOR dives to catch it. He looks at the device and laughs as he reads it.

DOCTOR: Big friendly button.

The DOCTOR laughs and presses the button. The screen goes white.

The TARDIS disappears from the screen.

TRICKY: I don't get it. It was on screen, then it was gone.

BRAM: Hey, robot, go get me some food, I'm starving.

GREGOR: Oi, leave him alone.

BRAM: What's the matter with you?

GREGOR: Maybe I've just got a little tiny scrap of decency.

BRAM scoffs and walks away. GREGOR claps TRICKY on the shoulder and leaves. TRICKY smiles. We see the photo from before but this is no longer ripped and includes TRICKY.

EXT. SPACE

The TARDIS spins through space

The DOCTOR is polishing the centre column as CLARA enters having changed and showered. She leans against the console.

CLARA: I feel exhausted. I feel...

DOCTOR: We've had two days crammed into the space of one?

CLARA: Why would you say that?

DOCTOR: (works controls) I don't know. I say stuff. Ignore me. (pauses) Do you feel safe?

CLARA: Of course.

DOCTOR: (spins to face her) Give me a number out of ten. Ten being whoo-hoo, one being aarrrggh!

CLARA: You're being weird.

DOCTOR: I need to know if you feel safe. I need to know... you're not afraid.

CLARA: Of?

DOCTOR: The future. Running away with a spaceman in a box. Anything could happen to you.

CLARA: That's what I'm counting on. Push the button. (leaves)

The DOCTOR smiles and tosses the cloth onto the console with a hook sh*t. He then pulls the dematerialization lever.