07x07 - I and Love and You

Episode transcripts for the TV show "One Tree Hill". Aired September 2003 - April 2012.*

Moderator: UsuallyAlly

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

This series follows the eventful lives of some high-school kids in Tree Hill, a small but not too quiet town in North Carolina, where the greatest source of pride is the high school basketball team, the Ravens.

07x07 - I and Love and You

Post by bunniefuu »

Previously on "One Tree Hill"

Alex : I stripped naked, and that boy didn't even flinch.

Julian : I'm sorry. What did I do?

Brooke : What you didn't do is tell me that ho bag got naked for you.

Julian : Oh, that.

Brooke : You -- couch. You -- fired.

David : Did you go home with that guy last night?

Quinn : Yeah.

Clay : Nathan doesn't want us hanging out, and I, uh, I have to respect that.

Clay : How'd you like to stay the night tonight? Like old times.

Sara : That's up to you, isn't it?

Dan : I'd been given only days to live. That was 14 months ago. I have a proposition for you.

Renee : Nathan's your son. It could ruin him.

Rachel : He's doing this because he wants to bury Nathan. And the deeper Nathan is buried. The more money he'll have to pay you to dig himself out.

Renee : Okay. I'm in.

One Tree Hill – Season 7 Episode 7

AT TV BROADCAST

Rachel : They're excited. And I didn't even have to pay them this time.

Dan : It's gonna be a big show.

Rachel : Dan, you reached out to Nathan, and he hung up on you. He was never gonna forgive you, anyway.

Dan : Sometimes the truth is all we have.

* information's wrong * * communication's lost * * I got to find what's keeping me up * * problems on the line * * I got no map this time *

AT SCOTT’S HOUSE

Haley : Hey. Skills is gonna take Jamie for the day, just to keep him away from the TV.

Nathan : Yeah. You know, the first memory I have is sitting on my father's lap holding a basketball. He spent my entire life trying to get me into the NBA. Now he's gonna take it away.

* no matter what I do, it all comes apart with you * * you're such a menace, and you're no good *

AT CLAY’S BEACH HOUSE

Clay : What are you looking at, goof?

* beginning tonight, under my skin * * it's waiting, waiting, waiting * * you'll be another one before all of this is done * * don't keep the menace too long, no * * no matter what i do, it all falls apart with you * * you're such a menace, and you're no good *

ON BACKSTAGE

Renee : How you doing? Uh, you didn't tell me that this show was live.

Dan : Oh, it's better this way. Bigger audience, bigger ratings. After today, everyone will know your story.

Renee : I’m nervous.

Dan : Don't be. Just speak from your heart, and don't forget to smile. You'll be fine.

Renee : Mr. Scott?

Dan : Yeah?

Renee : What happened between you and Nathan?

Dan : I m*rder*d his uncle... Among other things. I'll see you out there.

AT CLAY’S BEACH HOUSE

Clay : This should be the last of it.

Quinn : I'm so sorry about all this.

Clay : It's fine.

Quinn : No, it's not fine. You've been amazing about everything, and it just -- I'm sorry. I'll talk to him.

Clay : These aren't mine.

Quinn : Awesome.

Clay : Awesome.

Quinn : Are you coming to watch the show?

Clay : No, I need to watch it here. I told Nate I’d call him after.

Quinn : Okay.

Clay : See ya. Drive safe.

Quinn : Thanks. Hey, clay? I hope everything turns out okay. You and Nathan are both really great guys, and you deserve better.

Clay : So do you, Quinn. I'll see you later.

Quinn : Bye.

Sara : So, let's run down the list. There's Blondie from the body-wash commercial.

Clay : She has a name, you know. It's Kylie.

Sara : Of course it is. There's the actress who can... be in your bed in 20 minutes. Make it 30. And there's this one, Nathan's sister-in-law. It's a little early for a beer, isn't it? You know what I want? Grape kool-aid.

Clay : Stop it.

Sara : It's okay if you like her.

Clay : No, it's not.

Sara : Why not?

Clay : Because she's somebody's wife.

Sara : So? I was your wife.

Clay : Yeah. But you left me.

Sara : Things change, Clay. She's beautiful... And you like her.

Clay : She's not you. Look, I have to watch Nathan's and my career possibly ends on this nightmare TV show. You can go if you want.

Sara : No, don't be silly, babe. I'm not going anywhere.

AT SCOTT’S HOUSE

Haley : Oh, hey, hey, hey, here.

Quinn : Thanks.

Haley : Oh, what is all this?

Quinn : David dropped off some of my stuff.

Haley : In the garage?

Quinn : Not exactly. Look, Hales, I thought I’d just watch from my room. You know, to give you and Nathan some space. But I’m here if you need me.

Haley : I know, Quinny. Thank you.

Haley : Nathan... Hey, um, it's gonna start soon.

Nathan : It's been a good life, huh?

Haley : Yeah. It's been a wonderful life. You know, when this show is over, it's still gonna be a wonderful life because I love you and your son loves you, and nothing that happens in the next hour is gonna change that.

Nathan : God, I needed to hear you say that.

Haley : Good. I really needed to say it.

AT TV BROADCAST

Dan : My guest tonight's grown rather infamous Over the last few weeks. Her name is Renee Richardson, and she's nearly 4 months pregnant. And she claims that this NBA player Is the father of her unborn child. That player happens to be my son. They say that truth is the best vindication against slander. So what is the truth? Is she lying, or am I about to become a grandfather again? We'll meet her and hear her story when we come back ... Believe nothing just because a wise man said it or you read it in a book or it's of divine origin Or simply because your mother told you. It doesn't make it true. Believe only what you yourself can test and judge to be true. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome my guest, Renee Richardson.

AT CLAY’S BEACH HOUSE

Clay : Here we go.

AT TV BROADCAST

Dan : Hi, Renee.

Renee : Hi. Thank you for having me.

Dan : She's pretty. Crazy-looking as all hell, but...pretty. We're gonna talk about a lot of things tonight, but just to set the stage, can you tell us a little bit about the night of the alleged affair, the first time you met Nathan?

Renee : Um, we had been to a lot of the same parties and clubs, but we hadn't really been introduced.

Dan : And that was, what, nearly four months ago?

Renee : Um, that's right. Uh, I remember because it was the night of the Memphis game, and Nathan scored his season high that night. 35 points, 11 assists, and six boards?

[Flashback – at the party]

Clay : You k*lled it tonight! Here is to your contract year and to making my job a hell of a lot easier. Cheers.

Renee : Excuse me? I'm sorry. I don't mean to bother you, but could we get a picture?

Clay : Absolutely. just give us one second. Dude, having you around is so much better than a puppy. But seriously... I'm proud of you, and I love you, and you absolutely deserve this. Whew. Oh, yeah, that's the one. all right, let's do this. Nathan Scott, the girls. The girls, Nathan Scott.

Renee : Hi. Nathan. Nice to meet you.

Nathan : How you doing? Nathan. All right. All right.

Renee : Mmm. Somebody smells good.

Nathan : That's the rainstorm body spray.

Clay : All right, let's make it look sexy. And on the count of 2. 1...2.

AT CLAY’S BEACH HOUSE

Clay : We were really hammered that night. It was the longest road trip of the year.

Sara : You were lonely.

Clay : I'm always lonely.

Sara : On the count of 2.

[Flashback – near the river]

Guys : Whoo!

Clay : That's a long way down.

Sara : Thanks. That really helps me right now.

Clay : Sorry, I’m -- I’m just not a huge fan of heights. Yeah -- You know, beer bongs I can do. I think they are a beautiful college tradition. Streaking through the quad -- that's another one.

Sara : Well, I could do that.

Clay : Yeah? Man, did I pick the wrong school. I'm clay.

Sara : Hi. I’m Sara.

Clay : How about we do this together?

* and just like that, it's over *

Clay : On the count of 2.

Sara : Wait! On the count of 2? Nobody goes on the count of 2.

Clay : Yeah, I know. I’ll be our thing -- Something we can tell the grandkids about.

Sara : Well, I’m gonna tell them about streaking on the quad.

Clay : Yeah, nobody wants to hear that from their grandparents. Actually, I take that back. Everyone would love hearing that from their grandparents Atta girl. You ready? You okay? On 2. 1... 2.

* that song you softly sing is keeping you from breaking *

Clay : How badass were you?

Sara : Tell that to the grandkids.

AT TV BROADCAST

Dan : Let's back up a little bit to when you were younger. We did our research and found out you were once... A cheerleader...

Renee : Uh, yes. ...

Dan : And a homecoming queen... And, more recently, a hostess in a club.

Renee : Uh, yes, but there was no nudity or anything.

Dan : I understand. my wife was a stripper – a little nudity. Have you ever been married?

Renee : No.

Dan : But you knew Nathan was married.

Renee : I-I felt bad about it. I mean, obviously, I-I wish that he wasn't, But...I was attracted to him.

Dan : And attraction is not a choice. It just is. Have you ever been in love, Renee?

Renee : Yes.

Dan : It feels good, doesn't it? Falling in love is the easiest thing you're ever gonna do. It's the most exciting thing. It's the most powerful thing. That's why falling out of love hurts like hell. But falling in love -- there's nothing better. It’s the best it ever gets.

[Flashback – at Quinn’s house]

Quinn : Hey. Mm.

David : Did I ever tell you how amazing you are?

Quinn : Mnh-mnh.

David : You're amazing... and beautiful... and talented. And one of these days, I’m gonna get you a real darkroom, not just some cramped apartment bathroom.

Quinn : Stop. Come here. Look at this. Look how happy you are. I don't need a big darkroom. I just need you to always be that happy, 'cause you deserve that.

David : How'd I get so lucky with you?

Quinn : Technically, you haven't gotten lucky just yet. But I think you're about to.

David : Oh! We got to get a bigger darkroom.

AT TV BROADCAST

Dan : And then you kissed.

Dan : And the kissing escalated.

Dan : When we come back, We're gonna talk a little about love and loss and how we're sometimes our own worst enemies. And then we're gonna find out if Renee is telling the truth, after this.

David : You awake?

Quinn : Depends. Good news or bad news?

David : That video position came up at work again. And I took it.

Quinn : David, why?

David : Because I'm tired of being poor.

Quinn : We're not poor. We're frugal.

David : Mrs. Padilla said she's been driving you to work.

Quinn : It's just sometimes the car won't start.

David : How do you get home?

Quinn : I catch a ride or I walk.

David : Quinn.

Quinn : I like walking. Baby, what about your documentary? I stopped at the library and got the grant forms. It's what we've talked about. It's what you've always wanted.

David : And I’ll still want it a year from now. But this is good money, Quinn. I want to get you a house... and that darkroom.

Quinn : I don't need those things. I need you to be happy and inspired.

David : Well, this will make me happy and you'll keep me inspired. Please? Say it’s okay? Say, "Okay."

Quinn : Okay, okay, Okay, okay, okay. Promise me you'll fill out the forms.

David : Of course.

Quinn : And if something comes up, then, that you'll take it.

David : Of course, of course, of course, of course. I promise.

David : I love you, you know that?

Quinn : I love you, too.

AT TV BROADCAST

Dan : Falling in love is easy. But a lifetime of love -- now, there's a miracle.

NEAR THE RIVER

Brooke : You know I love you. And you know I fired Alex, but you're still working with her.

Julian : I like her script, Brooke.

Brooke : You like her script or you like her?

AT TV BROADCAST

Dan : Relationships aren't always easy. I should know. I’m on my second marriage. Yep. How many of you are divorced? Divorce doesn't just happen and relationships don't just end in an instant.

AT CLAY’S BEACH HOUSE

Sara : What'd you do with your ring, anyway? Your wedding band. Where is it?

Clay : I don't know.

Sara : You don't know, or you don't want to remember?

[Flashback – at Clay’s beach house]

Clay : Hey, Sara... What do you think?

Sara : I think you look like a boy playing dress-up.

Clay : Come on. This is my sh*t. I got to get in the mailroom, I become an assistant, they make me junior agent, And I’m in. And you're in. Help.

Sara : The person interviewing you -- it's a woman, right?

Clay : Yeah.

Sara : Jean sand a button-up shirt, and go heavy on the boyish grin.

Clay : You sure?

Sara : Hey, it got you me, didn't it?

Clay : You don't think that will be too casual?

Sara : Here. Married says mature, stable, and dependable -- Everything they'll want to see in a future agent.

Clay : Only I’m not married.

Sara : Then marry me, you knucklehead.

Clay : Yes. Yes!

Sara : Well, there's that boyish grin!

AT TV BROADCAST

Dan : We all want to be loved, to be happy. So why aren't we? Because we've become experts at sabotaging our own happiness... ...feeling like victims, when, in fact, It's the choices we make. The bad habits, the vices, The inability to show love and compassion -- These are the things that tear us down. We're not... Victims. We're assassins when it comes to love and happiness. Renee is beautiful, and she's smart, and she wants love in her life, And yet who did she choose to sleep with? Allegedly. A man who was unavailable to her. Now, she may be telling the truth... And she may deserve compensation, but she is no victim. Oh. We applaud the sentiment, but we don't change. Why? Because we want what we want. So we do it, we say it, try it, and we victimize ourselves, and we hire an attorney, and it has to stop. Renee... You say Nathan Scott, My son, is the father of your unborn child, right?

Dan : I believe you. I think you're telling the truth and more than that, I'm going to prove it... With the help of this lie-detector machine...when we come back.

AT SCOTT’S HOUSE

Nathan : This is just -- This is unbelievable.

AT TV BROADCAST

Rachel : Two minutes, guys.

Renee : What is this about?

Rachel : What's what about, honey?

Renee : No, I-I didn't agree to this.

Rachel : Relax. It's great television.

Renee : No, you don't –

Rachel : here's the thing -- If you're lying, science will prove it eventually, and if not, you have nothing to worry about. Don't forget to smile.

AT SCOTT’S HOUSE

Haley : Nathan.

Nathan : Do you believe this? Do you realize how ridiculous this is? The guy sh*t his brother at point blank range, and now he has a hit TV show. He's rolling out some rigged-up lie-detector machine, And I have to sit 3,000 miles away and just take it.

Haley : Screw him. I mean it. Let's not even watch the rest of the show. It's a nice day. It's a nice life.

Nathan : How can you be so strong?

AT TV BROADCAST

Dan : It's a question of character. It's really about who has better character. Is it Renee... or Nathan?

Clay : And if you sign with me, I promise you that the energy and resources That I’ll dedicate to you and your career will be unmatched.

Sara : Okay. I’m in! Can I give you my two cents?

Clay : Sure.

Sara : This is all still about that wide receiver, right?

Clay : Yeah.

Sara : I think... you can do better.

Clay : Babe, this guy is a big deal. I mean, he can change everything for me.

Sara : But you said it yourself -- he's a bad guy.

Clay : And if I only represent good guys, I may have no clients at all.

Sara : No, I don't believe that. I don't think you do, either.

Clay : The guy is great, Sara.

Sara : He’s not great. He's just a great player. And the man I love knows the difference. That's what's gonna make you a great agent. You'll find players that you can believe in and clients that become friends. You'll find someone Who has integrity and character and heart. And that will change everything for you. And that's the man I fell in love with.

NEAR THE RIVER

Brooke : I love you, you know that.

Julian : I know.

Brooke : You really hurt my feelings when you said we weren't getting married.

Julian : When did I ever say anything about marriage?

Brooke : When your dad came to town. You said we weren't getting married like it was some sort of completely ridiculous notion to you.

Julian : No. Brooke, I was venting. It had nothing to do with the actual concept of marrying you. I think about that all the time.

Brooke : Really?

Julian : Yeah.

Brooke : Well, good, because that's what I wrote in the sand. That night you said you were gonna take that movie in New Zealand, I-I wrote "marry me" in the sand, and then I didn't tell you because you said you were leaving. Surprise.

Quinn : David? David. What is this?

David : Surprise.

AT TV BROADCAST

Dan : I know this is a surprise, but we have an expression on this show -- Step into the light...

Public : Together and get yourself right! ...

Dan : and get yourself right. During the break, we hooked Renee up to a lie detector, And here's how it works. I'll ask Renee a question, and depending on her answer, the words "TRUE" or "LIE" will appear on the screens behind me. For instance, is your name Renee Richardson?

Dan : Excellent. let's begin. Did you, in fact, meet Nathan Scott at a party, as you described earlier?

Dan : Did you flirt with Nathan Scott?

Dan : Did Nathan flirt back?

Renee : You smell good.

Nathan : That's my rainstorm body spray.

Renee : Oh.

Dan : Believe only what yourself test and judge to be true. Renee, is Nathan Scott, my son, the father of your unborn child?

AT CLAY’S BEACH HOUSE

Clay : Hey, it's Clay. It's my third time calling, buddy. Look, I’m watching the show right now, And I, um...I just want to talk to you. So, please call me back, all right?

AT SCOTT’S HOUSE

Quinn : Hales? Nathan?

* I won't do what you told me * * I won't do what you said * * no, I’m not gonna stop feeling * * I’m not gonna forget *

Quinn : Hey, David, do you know where --

David : Hey, babe.

Quinn : Uh...what is this?

David : Okay, okay, I-I know it's expensive, but I just had a thought --

Quinn : Screening room.

David : Okay. I’m just saying -- I go to work, I come home, I sit here -- I'm happy.

Quinn : Remember that old car that we had... And the futon? We were really happy then.

David : Yeah, that futon sucked, baby.

Quinn : I love this picture of you.

David : Really? 'cause that guy was struggling, foolish, and broke.

Quinn : That's not true.

David : Quinn...you've got some crazy, romantic notion of who I used to be of who we used to be. We were just naive kids. God forbid I ever go back to that. Can you hand me a Phillips screwdriver? It's in the box over there.

Quinn : Sure.

David : How great is this room, by the way? No windows. It's perfect.

Quinn : It's a really dark room.

NEAR THE RIVER

Julian : Did you mean it when you proposed?

Brooke : Yeah. I did that night.

Julian : But not anymore.

Brooke : I don't know right now.

Julian : I'm sorry. I didn't know. I'm sorry I hurt your feelings.

AT TV BROADCAST

Dan : Sometimes we fall short of the people we are meant to be, and sometimes people do things they're ashamed of. Thank you, Renee. And usually, after the guilt sets in, We make things worse. My son, Nathan Scott, is a good man, But sometimes people do funny things In the face of pressure and desperation. And the truth... Well, truth is an absolute, and the truth can set you free. My name is Dan Scott. I love my wife, Rachel.

Rachel : What is he doing?

Dan : My son, Nathan, loves me. I'm president of the United States. I'm Santa Claus. I didn't k*ll my brother.

Quinn : Hey, you guys got to get in here!

Dan : Life is funny, isn't it? Sometimes bad things happen to good people, and it isn't fair. This is a still frame of the moment i told you we were gonna do the lie-detector test. Your pupils are dilated. your eyebrows are arched. It means you were surprised. This is a still frame of the moment after you said Nathan had slept with you And the monitors said "true." You were surprised again, weren't you? Sometimes bad things happen to good people. I think you're a good person, Renee. I think something bad happened to you, and you were clever enough to see a way out.

Nathan : All right.

Renee : Mmm. You smell good.

Nathan : Oh, that's the rainstorm body spray.

Clay : All right. Let's make it look sexy. Okay -- ooh, easy. Not too sexy. That'll cost us $20 million next year. On the count of 2. 1...2.

Dan : I don't think you wanted to. I think you were afraid... and lost and desperate. You knew Nathan was in a contract year, and you knew he had too much to drink that night. Maybe someone lied to you, Maybe someone took advantage of you, or maybe... Being a good person just wasn't paying off.

Renee : I don't want to do this anymore.

Dan : I know. But here's the good news. You can stop it -- Right here, right now. You wanted to get some money, some security. What's so little to someone who has so much? And then you got angry, and then the press got involved, And then there was no turning back. Renee... We have a team of experts backstage Who study body language and heart-rate response And all of it. You were at that party that night, And you had sex, didn't you? And you got pregnant. But you didn't have sex with Nathan Scott, and you never had sex with Nathan Scott, did you?

Renee : No.

Sara : Well, what do you know? Character changes everything.

Dan : It's okay. It's okay. It's over now.

AT SCOTT’S HOUSE

Nathan : It's okay. It's over …Thanks. He says she's dropping everything.

Haley : I'm so sorry you had to go through this.

Nathan : I shouldn't have been drunk at that party, Haley. I just --

Haley : You -- You're still young. We both are. I think -- I think we just forget that sometimes.

AT CLAY’S HOUSE

Sara : What are you listening to?

Clay : You know. I never changed it.

Sara : Play it.

Clay : I can't.

Sara : For me?

[Willie Nelson's - Angel flying too close to the ground" plays] * if you had not have fallen... *

Sara : I love this song.

Clay : You look beautiful.

Sara : Well, thank you, handsome. Dance with me.

* and I patched up your broken wing *

Sara : You know what I want?

Clay : What?

Sara : Grape kool-aid.

* trying to keep your spirits up * * and your fever down * * I knew someday... *

Clay : You know what I hate? I hate these pens. It's either way too much fluid or not nearly enough, but it's never the right amount. And they cost, like, a fortune. What are you looking at, you goof? Sara, hey. Hey, Sara! Hey!

* so leave me if you need to * * i will still remember * * angel flying too close * * to the ground * * leave me if you need to * * i will still remember * * angel flying too close * * to the ground *

Sara : Clay.

Clay : Sometimes I can't see you anymore. I forget things about you, and I’m afraid that I’m losing us. Like the way you smelled and, uh... The sound of your voice and how you felt in my arms, and, um...

Sara : If you let someone in, you'll erase me. You won't.

Clay : I can't.

Sara : Open the door, clay. Clay... It's okay. On the count of 2. 1...2.

Quinn : Hey!

Clay : I think you need to go home.

Quinn : Oh, okay. I’m sorry. I didn't know it was a bad time.

Clay : To David. I think you should go home to David. And I’m sorry, too.

* load the car and write the note * * grab your bag and grab your coat *

AT SCOTT’S HOUSE

Nathan : I love you so much, my beautiful wife.

* tell the ones that need to know * * we are headed north * * one foot in, one foot back * * but it don't pay to live like that * * so I cut the tires, and i jump the tracks * * for never to return * * ah, Brooklyn, Brooklyn, take me in *

IN THE BACKSTAGE

Rachel : "A team of experts backstage"? Nice touch. So how'd you know she was lying?

Dan : He's still my son. I raised him. I know what kind of man he is. Besides... Takes a con to know a con.

Rachel : It was a good show. I love you.

Dan : Yeah.

* with him and her and you and me * * ah, but it's just a waste of time * * yeah, it's such a waste of time *

AT BROOKE’S HOUSE

Julian : You okay?

Brooke : No. I need to know that you feel the same way that I do, that you can...see yourself doing this with me forever, Because if not, what am I doing? What -- what are we doing? What --

Julian : Hey.

Brooke : Who are we?

Julian : Hey. Look at me. We're us, Brooke. You're the girl I love with all my heart, and I'm the boy who's gonna be with you forever. We don't have to rush into anything. Forever is a very long time.

* ah, Brooklyn, Brooklyn, take me in *

AT CLAY’S BEACH HOUSE

Clay : It's not fair. We were supposed to have more time.

Sara : And you still do. I don't want you to be alone, honey. You like her -- Quinn. Why'd you send her away?

Clay : I don't want to lose us.

Sara : No, you can't erase who we were or what we had. No one can. We b*rned so bright together. You won't lose that.

Clay : I loved you so much, Sara.

Sara : You were perfect with me... And you always will be. But now it's time to let go. It's okay, honey.

* are you aware of the shape I’m in? *

Sara : I love you.

* my hands, they shake, my head, it spins * * spins * * ah, Brooklyn, Brooklyn, take me in * * dumbed down and numbed by time and age * * your dreams that catch the world the cage * * the highway sets the traveler's stage * * all exits look the same * * three words that became hard to say * * “I" and "love" and "you" *