07x13 - The k*ller In Me

Episode transcripts for this TV show, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer." Aired March 1997 - May 2003.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

A young girl, destined to slay vampires, demons and other infernal creatures, deals with her life fighting evil, with the help of her friends.

07x13 - The k*ller In Me

Post by bunniefuu »

Trailer

GILES (V.O.)

Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer:

1 INT. LIVING ROOM AT BUFFY'S HOUSE - DAY

Dawn's standing in front of the three girls Giles brought with him. The three girls are lined up against the wall, and Dawn's inspecting them, arms crossed in front of her. Willow, Anya, Xander, Buffy and Giles are also in the room, gathered for a pow-wow.

BUFFY

The First. That's what it wants.

GILES

To erase all the slayers in training and their watchers, along with their methods.

Cut to:

2 EXT. OUTSIDE AN APARTMENT BUILDING - NIGHT

Holding the young woman in an embrace, Spike rears back in vampire face and sinks his fangs into her neck. He drops the woman to the ground and turns his bloody, fanged face to the camera.

WILLOW (V. O.)

Buffy, he's been feeding...

Cut to:

3 INT. BUFFY'S HOUSE - NIGHT

Spike is sitting in a chair, wrapped in a blanket while the others talk in an adjacent room. Buffy, Xander, Anya, Willow and Dawn are all there. Spike's listening to them.

BUFFY

He really didn't know what he'd done. It wasn't in his control.

Cut to:

4 INT. LIVING ROOM AT BUFFY'S HOUSE - DAY

Xander's explaining his ideas to the g*ng.

XANDER

It's a trigger. It's a brainwashing term. It's how the m*llitary makes sleeper agents.

Cut to:

5 EXT. FRONT DOOR AT BUFFY'S HOUSE - DAY

Willow answers the front door—it's Amy.

WILLOW

Amy.

AMY

Can I come in?

WILLOW

If you really are my friend, you better stay away from me.

Cut to:

6 INT. THE INITIATIVE SUNNYDALE HEADQUARTERS - NIGHT

Dressed in m*llitary garb, Riley Finn talks with Professor Walsh, surrounded by other operatives.

PROFESSOR WALSH

Agent Finn, my implant?

RILEY

The implant works. Hostile 17 can't harm any living creature in any way without intense neurological pain.

Show clips of Spike being operated on by the Initiative, being kept prisoner there, and being unable to bite a girl due to screaming fits and a headache when he attempts it.

Cut to:

7 EXT. BUFFY'S BACKYARD - DAY

While in her backyard talking to Xander, Buffy's approached by an angry, g*n-toting Warren.

WARREN

You think you can just do that to me?

Warren sh**t at Buffy. Meanwhile, while running away, Warren fires a random sh*t that goes through the upstairs window into Willow and Tara's bedroom.

Cut to:

8 INT. WILLOW AND TARA'S BEDROOM AT BUFFY'S HOUSE- DAY

Tara is sh*t and falls to the floor. Blood spatters Willow's shirt.

WILLOW

Tara?

Willow is grief-stricken. She is holding Tara's dead body, and when she looks up to heaven, her eyes turn red and black with dark magic because of her anger.

Cut to:

9 EXT. WOODS SOMEWHERE IN SUNNYDALE - NIGHT

Warren is strung up between a pair of trees. He is tied at four points, splayed out like the famous DaVinci diagram. Warren calls for help.

WARREN

Somebody! Help!

Willow, in full dark magic splendor (black hair, black eyes), motions her hand toward Warren, and with a twist of her wrist, removes his skin. Warren screams in agony.

Cut to:

10 INT. STAIRCASE AT BUFFY'S HOUSE - NIGHT

Walking with Kennedy, Willow's holding a stack of bed sheets.

WILLOW

You wanna do the sleeping arrangements? (offers the sheets to Kennedy)

KENNEDY

(takes the sheets) OK. You, uh, better not hog the covers. (smiles)

Fade to black.

End Recap.

The Start Of Episode PROLOGUE:

11 INT. LIVING ROOM AT BUFFY'S HOUSE - DAY

Giles scurries into the living room, where Buffy and Dawn are sitting on the couch.

GILES

Are you sure you'll all be all right?

DAWN

You'll only be gone for two days.

BUFFY

I think we've managed a bit longer than that.

GILES

Right. (looks around nervously, stops) Oh, Dawn, Vi's left her notebook on the mantelpiece. Would you mind running it out to the car?

DAWN

(stands, goes to the fireplace) Sure.

GILES

While you're at it, you smack her in the head with it and remind her not to leave it lying around.

DAWN

(walks out the front door with the notebook) On it.

GILES

(sits on coffee table in front of Buffy) I'm just a bit twitchy about leaving you alone again here while—while things are (takes of glasses, wipes his brow) in such a state of flux.

BUFFY

I know. But you should go. This trip is important for the girls to understand the source of their power, and to know how to use it right.

GILES

Do you think they appreciate the gravity of what we're undertaking? It's frightening, and it's difficult. And then, apparently, someone told them that the vision quest consists of me driving them to the desert, doing the hokey pokey until a spooky Rasta-mama slayer arrives and speaks to them in riddles. (looks at Buffy)

BUFFY

(looks innocent) That's not exactly how I put it, I— (sees Willow come down stairs and enter the room) Hey, how's Kennedy?

WILLOW

Still fluey. Bummed about missing the field trip. (to Giles) She says she wants you to meditate extra hard for her and to bring her back some smores. (grins)

GILES

Ah yes. Smores. I'm going to end up singing campfire songs aren't I? (stands)

BUFFY

Oh yeah.

XANDER

(comes in the front door, followed by Dawn) Giles, you might want to get out there.

GILES

Oh, God, what?

DAWN

Molly and Rona are fighting over who gets to drive the first leg.

BUFFY

(to Giles) Bet you wish you renewed that California state driver's license now, huh?

ANYA

(comes in the front door) Rona won. You should probably let Molly out of the trunk. (car horn blows outside, Anya walks to the kitchen with Willow) I never actually realized just how compact Molly really is.

GILES

(sighs, to Buffy) Please be safe while I'm away.

BUFFY

You too.

Cut to:

12 INT. BASEMENT AT BUFFY'S HOUSE - DAY

Buffy walks downstairs to the basement, toward where Spike is sitting on a cot, his wrists chained to the wall.

BUFFY

Hey.

SPIKE

Hey.

BUFFY

Giles is off ...on the retreat.

SPIKE

Give us all a chance for a breather, eh?

BUFFY

From Giles?

SPIKE

From the constant pitter patter of clomping teenage girly feet.

BUFFY

(shrugs) I have no idea what you're talking about.

SPIKE

Come on.

BUFFY

No, I enjoy my responsibility as mentor, role model, life guide—oh, my God, I cannot believe I have my bathroom all to myself for two whole days. (sits on the cot beside Spike)

SPIKE

(leans forward) It's like a bloody w*r-zone up there, and not in a good way.

BUFFY

Have you seen the kitchen since they've been here?

SPIKE

I'm just trying to stay out of their way.

BUFFY

(glances at his chains) I noticed.

SPIKE

(looks at his chains) This is better. Believe me, it's safer.

BUFFY

OK. But you've been fine. In close contact with the girls.

SPIKE

(looks at Buffy) With you by my side, yeah. You won't let me hurt one of them. And that's the way it's gonna be until we're sure the First is done making me its bitch. Either we're together, or I'm on the leash.

BUFFY

We just need to make sure the trigger's deactivated then. We've got a couple of days, lack of pitter-patter and all...

SPIKE

(leans forward, looking at her earnestly) Buffy...

BUFFY

What?

SPIKE

Ow.

BUFFY

Ow?

SPIKE

(his face contorts, twitching) Ow ow ow! (leans back, thrashes against the wall)

BUFFY

What's wrong? (Spike puts his hands to his head) Spike, what is going on?

SPIKE

(calmer now) The chip. God. Why would—? (screams) Aaahhh! (holds his hands to his head, writhing in intense pain)

Cut to:

Opening Credits.

ACT I:

13 INT. KITCHEN AT BUFFY'S HOUSE - NIGHT

A tea kettle whistles as Buffy walks into the kitchen from the basement. Willow's at the stove.

WILLOW

Hey. How is he?

BUFFY

(sits) Oh, in the "goes" part of "comes and goes."

WILLOW

Well there seems to be a definite lack of screaming. That has to be good.

BUFFY

You'd think. (Willow pours hot water into a cup) That for the other patient?

WILLOW

Yeah. Thought I'd bring her some tea, help her feel better.

BUFFY

(smiling, teasingly) Mm-hmm?

WILLOW

It's just tea.

BUFFY

(giggles, then pauses) Will, how much do you know about the chip?

WILLOW

Spike's chip? Well, I remember trying to dig up stuff back then, but, you know, turns out, when a secret government agency studies vampires and puts chips in their brains that keep them from hurting people, they don't really build websites. Why?

BUFFY

Even with the chip, Spike was able to hurt all those people when he was brainwashed.

WILLOW

Yeah, but he was under the control of the First.

BUFFY

Maybe something's wrong with it.

WILLOW

The chip is misfiring all on its own, then. Well this'll be fun.

BUFFY

Remember when things used to be nice and boring?

WILLOW

(shrugs) No. (walks out of the kitchen with tea in hand)

BUFFY

(teasingly, calls after her) Have fun...delivering tea...

WILLOW

(stops, turns around) OK, not when you make it sound all dirty like that. (mumbles as she heads upstairs) It's just tea.

Cut to:

14 INT. WILLOW'S ROOM AT BUFFY'S HOUSE - NIGHT

Willow walks into her room to find Kennedy putting on her shoes.

WILLOW

Hey, I figured the best thing for a cold is a nice hot cup of...(frowns) boots?

KENNEDY

Hey.

WILLOW

For someone who's sick, you look surprisingly robust and casual dressy.

KENNEDY

Well, the lighting in here is good. Maybe it's just—

WILLOW

(shocked) You were never sick!

KENNEDY

No...I was never sick.

WILLOW

Oh, you are so busted. Xander's gonna have to drive you to the desert and—

KENNEDY

Willow, chill. (stands) There's a reason I didn't go. I have a thing. A separate thing.

WILLOW

What?

KENNEDY

(puts on her coat) Something's coming down. I have my own mission. And I need you help.

Cut to:

15 INT. THE BRONZE NIGHT CLUB - NIGHT

A band's playing a song on stage.

BAND

(singing) So I can be happy again...

Kennedy and Willow are having a drink (complete with orange wedge and paper umbrella garnishes), sitting at one of the tables, listening to the band.

WILLOW

This is a mission?

KENNEDY

Oh! Yeah...

WILLOW

And the little pink umbrellas are a signal for what? We're not on a mission, are we?

KENNEDY

Hey, trust me, I told you. I have a thing. (Willow gets up to leave, Kennedy calls after her) Come on, come on. Just hang out with me a little. (Willow turns to face her, sighing) You're sexy when you pout.

WILLOW

Why do you do that?

KENNEDY

(pouts) To get you to stay.

WILLOW

(returns to the table, sits) All right, I'll stay for one drink, then I'm going home.

KENNEDY

OK. One drink. I can work with that. Let's start with the easy stuff. How long have you known? That you're gay.

WILLOW

Wait. That's easy? (fidgets) And you just assume that I'm—I'm gay. I mean, presume much?

KENNEDY

(grins) OK. How long have you enjoyed having sex with women?

WILLOW

(taken aback) Hey! (Kennedy chuckles) What you think you have some special lesbidar or something?

KENNEDY

OK, you know there's a better word for that, right? (Willow sips her drink) You really haven't been getting out there much, have you?

WILLOW

Well, I just—can you always tell just—just by looking at someone?

KENNEDY

No. No, of course not. That wouldn't be any fun. The fun part is the process of—of getting to know a girl. It's like—it's like flirting in code. It's using body language and laughing at the right jokes and—and looking into her eyes and knowing she's still whispering to you, even when she's not saying a word. And that sense that if you can just touch her just once everything will be OK for both of you. That's how you can tell. (sits back, grins) Or if she's really hot, you just get her drunk—see if she comes on to you.

WILLOW

Three years ago. That's when I knew. And it wasn't women, it was woman. Just one.

KENNEDY

Lucky woman. (smiles)

Cut to:

16 INT. BASEMENT AT BUFFY'S HOUSE - NIGHT

Spike's lying on the cot on his back, resting his head on a pillow. His nose is bleeding. Buffy sits by him.

SPIKE

Popped another blood vessel, I think. (Buffy hands him a towel; he wipes blood from his nose)

BUFFY

There's gotta be a reason why the chip is going all wonky. Maybe it's related to the trigger or maybe it has something to do with the new soul.

SPIKE

Or maybe I wasn't meant to last this long. (b*at) One more thing you and I have in common, eh, pet?

BUFFY

Well, we'll fix it. We'll hit serious research mode—

SPIKE

Good. Try Behavioral Modification Software Throughout the Ages.

BUFFY

(sighs) OK. You're right. Not a book thing. It's a phone thing.

SPIKE

Who you gonna call? (Buffy looks at him funny) God, that phrase is never gonna be useable again, is it?

BUFFY

Doubt it.

Cut to:

17 INT. THE BRONZE NIGHT CLUB - NIGHT

Kennedy and Willow are having a drink together, talking.

KENNEDY

Do your parents know?

WILLOW

Yeah. My mom was—was all proud like I was making some political statement. Then the statement mojo wore off and I was just gay. She hardly ever even met Tara.

KENNEDY

Classic.

WILLOW

I didn't mind. Tara and I are kind of private.

KENNEDY

I'm sorry. It must've—

WILLOW

Were, I mean. Private.

Cut to:

18 INT. LIVING ROOM AT BUFFY'S HOUSE - NIGHT

Buffy's talking on the phone while Spike sits on the stairs behind her.

BUFFY

Yes, Agent Finn, Riley. Tell him we're having a problem with Spike's chip. No his chip. Spike.

SPIKE

(shakes his head) Listen, pet?

BUFFY

No, no, Finn is his last name. Yeah. Well, did he used to work there and then he got transferred? (Spike's chip goes off again, he thrashes on the stairs unnoticed by Buffy) Oh, is this actually a flower shop, or is this one of those things where I'm supposed to play along to show that I know it's really secret ops? Oh, maybe I shouldn't have said that. Oh, OK, right. Well, if some guy named Finn shows up to buy flowers— Yeah. Thanks. (hangs up, turns to Spike) Wrong number. Or a giant government conspiracy, one or the— (notices he's recovering from an episode) Spike?

SPIKE

This one seemed easier than the others. See? Probably just gonna fade— (screams, holding his head again)

Cut to:

19 INT. THE BRONZE NIGHT CLUB - NIGHT

Kennedy and Willow are having a drink together, talking.

KENNEDY

It was Gone with the Wind. I saw that, and I knew I wanted to sweep Scarlet off her feet.

WILLOW

You were five.

KENNEDY

Well, I'm not saying the sweeping would have been easy... (smiles, eats the cherry off her paper umbrella garnish) What?

WILLOW

I just—I still don't get it. (shrugs) Why you like me. I mean, you don't even know me.

KENNEDY

Have you seen you? (Willow blushes) And we like the same things—Italian, skate punk, Robert Parker mysteries, fighting evil...

WILLOW

(smiles, shakes her head) I don't like any of that stuff. Except the—the fighting evil part. Even then, I prefer a nice foot massage.

KENNEDY

OK, I dig the way you always turn off the Moulin Rouge DVD at Chapter 32 so it has a happy ending. (Willow laughs) I like the way you speak. It's interesting. (Willow smiles) And your freckles...likeable. (Willow blushes) I'm not so into the magic stuff. It seems like fairy tale crap to me, but if it matters to you... You care about it, so it's cool.

Cut to:

20 INT. WILLOW'S ROOM AT BUFFY'S HOUSE - NIGHT

Willow walks into her bedroom, Kennedy waits at the door. The mood is very awkward.

WILLOW

Well, this is my stop. (turns on light) So...glad we talked.

KENNEDY

(walks into the room, toward Willow, nods) Yes. Kinda cleared the air.

WILLOW

(nods) Yeah, totally. Air cleared. Check.

KENNEDY

(standing in front of Willow now) You know, in the spirit of air clearing...

WILLOW

Yeah?

KENNEDY

I feel like I need to be honest about something.

WILLOW

I-is something wrong?

KENNEDY

No. (shakes head) No, it's just— (walks closer to Willow) I think (leans in for a kiss) you should know...

Kennedy kisses Willow slowly, passionately. The camera circles them as they kiss, showing Willow's hair, then Kennedy's hair—then Willow's hair is gone as the kiss ends. Where Willow was, Warren's now standing.

WARREN

Well, that was nice.

Kennedy pulls back from him, panicked. She stumbles and falls as she retreats, knocking over a lamp.

Fade to black.

ACT II:

21 INT. WILLOW'S ROOM AT BUFFY'S HOUSE - NIGHT

Resume. Willow's standing where Warren was a moment ago, talking to Kennedy, who is staring incredulously at her.

WILLOW

Are you OK? (chuckles nervously) I'm not used to literally knocking girls off of their feet with just the power of my own lips.

Kennedy just stares at Willow, confused.

WARREN

OK, you gonna pick that up, or...?

KENNEDY

I don't—what are you?

WILLOW

Is this a freckle thing, 'cause—

Willow starts to panic and goes to look in the mirror; she sees Warren's reflection instead of her own.

TRANSCRIBER'S NOTE::

Until resolution of this plot point, all characters see Willow in Warren's form. On screen, Willow is sometimes shown from her perspective, as herself. To keep track of which form Willow is shown on screen, an asterisk (*) will be used to indicate the form.

WILLOW/WARREN* = shown as Warren

WILLOW*/WARREN = shown as Willow

WILLOW/WARREN*

Oh, God! Oh, God...

KENNEDY

What... is that?

WILLOW/WARREN*

(feeling his face) It's the man that I k*lled.

Cut to:

22 INT. LIVING ROOM AT BUFFY'S HOUSE - NIGHT

Warren comes down the stairs, followed by Kennedy. Xander, Anya and Dawn are in the living room.

KENNEDY

OK, hold up a sec.

When Xander, Anya and Dawn see Warren, they gasp and stand, positioning themselves defensively.

WILLOW/WARREN*

Guys—

XANDER

Get Buffy. Get Buffy. Tell her the First is back.

WILLOW/WARREN*

No, I'm not the First.

ANYA

We're not interested in any of your evil lies. We've heard 'em all.

WILLOW*/WARREN

No, guys it's me.

WILLOW/WARREN*

I'm me. I'm Willow. Guys, come on. As Kennedy— (points to Kennedy) she was there.

KENNEDY

(shakes her head) I don't know. I'm not sure. We were up in Willow's room and we were—-

Carrying a bowl of food, Andrew walks into the living room. When he sees Warren, he freezes in place, dropping his bowl; it shatters to pieces on the ground.

ANDREW

No... No. You're back.

WILLOW/WARREN*

(emphatic) No, I'm not. It's not— I'm not it. Listen to me—

ANDREW

No more listening. I know who you are now. I know what you made me do. Your promises of happy fields and dancing schnauzers and being demigods won't work on me anymore.

ANYA

(yells) Buffy!

XANDER

(whispers, to Anya) The Bringers are coming too.

WILLOW/WARREN*

No, I'm not the First.

ANDREW

You made me do things. Things I can never take back. Ever.

WILLOW/WARREN*

I'm not the First.

BUFFY

(walks into the room) What the hell is going on here—? (scowls when she sees Warren, punches him in the nose. He falls to the ground, writhing in pain on the floor) Ow! (stares at Warren)

SPIKE

(walks into the room, holding his head) Buffy...

ANYA

Wait.

DAWN

But if he's the First...

WILLOW/WARREN*

I'm not the First.

XANDER

You're not the First.

WILLOW/WARREN*

(stands) I know.

ANDREW

(smiles) Oh, my God! (goes to Warren) You're back. (hugs Warren from behind, his hands touching Warren's chest)

WILLOW*/WARREN

(grabs Andrew's hands) Hey, (turns to face him) bad touching!

Spike wanders around, holding his head, moaning in pain while everyone stares at Willow/Warren.

WILLOW/WARREN*

Everyone please stop it.

KENNEDY

It's Willow.

WILLOW/WARREN*

I'm Willow.

XANDER

Are you sure?

WILLOW*/WARREN

There are other stories from kindergarten. Non yellow crayon stories in which you don't come out in such a good light.

WILLOW/WARREN*

An incident involving Aquaman underoos, for example. You want me to start talking?

XANDER

(smiles, walks up to Willow/Warren) Hey, Willow!

ANYA

What happened?

Everyone inches closer to Willow/Warren.

WILLOW/WARREN*

I don't know. We were there, and then I looked like him.

ANYA

Oh, like a glamour.

WILLOW/WARREN*

Maybe, but I probably brought it on myself.

BUFFY

What makes you think that?

WILLOW/WARREN*

Well, it wouldn't be the first time. I have a history with my witchy subconscious making things go kerfloopey. Remember the wacky "I can't see you, you can't see me" spell?

While Willow/Warren's talking, Dawn touches his shoulder, Andrew touches his chest and face.

BUFFY

(to Dawn and Andrew) Guys!

ANDREW

(stops touching Willow/Warren) It's so real.

WILLOW/WARREN*

I'm all too aware. (brushes Dawn's hand away.

BUFFY

OK, say you're right, and you did do this to yourself. Why would your subconscious turn you into Warren?

WILLOW/WARREN*

Obviously because I feel bad—about k*lling him.

BUFFY

We'll deal. We'll get help.

WILLOW/WARREN*

No, I can handle this.

BUFFY

On your own? Why?

WILLOW/WARREN*

I did it. I'll fix it. I don't want you seeing me this way anyway. (walks toward the door)

BUFFY

It's kinda a little late for that. (Spike's moaning in the background)

WILLOW/WARREN*

Seriously, I'm not posing any big thr*at to the world. Looks like you've got your hands full already.

Buffy looks around, sees Spike lying on the floor moaning and twitching.

WILLOW*/WARREN

I'll go, I'll handle it, I'll fix it, I'll be back before you even know I'm gone.

WILLOW/WARREN*

Promise. (leaves through the front door)

BUFFY

(goes to his side) Spike. (kneels down beside him)

SPIKE

Buffy.

BUFFY

I'm right here.

SPIKE

The chip fired again.

Xander, Anya, Dawn and Andrew gather around to watch Buffy and Spike. Kennedy sneaks out the front door unnoticed.

BUFFY

I kinda figured. Maybe they'll call back. Maybe they'll send help.

SPIKE

Maybe we can't wait.

Cut to:

23 EXT. RANDOM STREET IN SUNNYDALE - NIGHT

Willow/Warren's walking purposefully down the street. Kennedy walks up to her, surprising her.

KENNEDY

OK. Safe to say no one will ever accuse you of being too butch.

WILLOW/WARREN*

Kennedy, go home. (walks away)

KENNEDY

(follows) Come on. I mean, you turned into a guy. I mean if you take a step back, seriously, there's a certain element of humor here, right? (Willow/Warren stops walking, turns and glares at her) Well, a really, really big step.

WILLOW/WARREN*

I k*lled him. It's hard to see the chuckles. (walks away)

KENNEDY

(follows) So you got a plan?

WILLOW*/WARREN

Yeah, get some help reversing it.

KENNEDY

I thought you were gonna try it yourself.

WILLOW*/WARREN

I did try. Something's blocking me.

KENNEDY

All the more reason for me to go with you. Plus, I was there when it happened. Lemme come to try to help too.

WILLOW/WARREN*

(stops walking) I really think I'm fine with the handling.

KENNEDY

By yourself? Why?

WILLOW*/WARREN

I'm the one that k*lled him. I— It's hard to understand.

KENNEDY

Given. How 'bout I just tag along anyway. Keep you company. (Willow/Warren sighs) I'm taking that as a yes.

WILLOW/WARREN*

(walks) Fine. Come.

WILLOW*/WARREN

Try not to get in the way.

KENNEDY

You know where you're going?

WILLOW*/WARREN

To see some old friends of mine. It's been a while, but maybe they can help.

Cut to:

24 EXT. WOODS SOMEWHERE IN SUNNYDALE - NIGHT

Buffy and Spike are walking through the woods together in the moonlight holding flashlights.

SPIKE

Are you sure you still wanna go back in this place with me?

BUFFY

Eh, nothing good on TV tonight.

SPIKE

(stops walking) Here we are.

Yep, here we are. (they kneel on the ground) You think the stuff's still good?

SPIKE

I don't know. (digs through the dirt) Worked pretty good when the Initiative held me c*ptive here. Every time I'd get a little...rambunctious, the chip'd kick in. I feel like my head was gonna explode. They'd dope me up, and everything would be all daffodils and teddy bears. For a couple of hours anyway.

BUFFY

Maybe we should search for files and stuff. Find out everything we can about the chip—shelf life.

SPIKE

I'll take whatever I can get. (grabs a chain in the dirt)

BUFFY

(grabs the chain Spike's holding) Ready?

SPIKE

Yeah.

Together, they pull the chain, hoisting up a metal grate.

Cut to:

25 INT. THE INITIATIVE SUNNYDALE HEADQUARTERS - NIGHT

Buffy and Spike jump down through the opening in the ground into a dark hallway.

Cut to:

26 INT. LIVING ROOM AT BUFFY'S HOUSE - NIGHT

Anya and Dawn are sitting on the couch. Xander's sitting in a cushy chair, propping his feet up on the coffee table. Andrew's sitting on the floor between Xander and the fireplace. The phone rings.

ANDREW

I'll get it. (stands) I'm supposed to get a call when the new League of Extraordinary Gentlemen comes in. I gave them this number.

XANDER

Ooh. Can you see if you can get two?

ANDREW

Summers residence, this is Andrew speaking. How can I help you?

XANDER

(realizes that Dawn and Anya are staring at him, looks at Andrew) Loser.

ANDREW

(holds his hand over the phone) Hey, do we know some British guy named Robson?

Time passes. Xander hangs up the phone and reports to Dawn and Anya.

XANDER

He was att*cked, this Robson guy in England. (sits) And Giles was there helping him. And there was a Bringer.

ANYA

(leans forward) Xander...

XANDER

Robson blacked out, but the last thing he remembers is Giles's head about to get really familiar with a Bringer's very sharp axe.

DAWN

Oh, my God!

ANYA

Giles never mentioned any of this.

XANDER

Robson said by the time he came to, there was no Giles.

DAWN

So, what are we saying?

XANDER

Maybe Giles just didn't want to talk about it.

ANYA

Or maybe he didn't make it. Look, I'm not saying it's a happy scenario, but we're dealing with a big bad that can be any dead person it wants.

XANDER

Because if you want to infiltrate the inner circle of the slayer...

ANYA

Become the one person she trusts more than anybody else.

DAWN

But there's no way that we can know.

ANDREW

Actually that's not true. The First can't take corporeal form, so it can't touch anything.

ANYA

Oh, it's not like Giles hasn't touched anything, right? (thinks, looks expectantly at everyone else) Ha-has anyone seen Giles touch anything since he got back? Hold anything? Has anybody hugged him? Think very hard.

Xander stands and walks toward the door. Anya and Dawn follow.

ANDREW

(stands, follows them toward the door) Wait—where're you...?

XANDER

The desert. We're gonna find Giles.

ANDREW

Oh good. Let me just get some tapes for the car. I've been working on this mix—

XANDER

You're not coming.

ANDREW

What? Why? 'Cause I used to be evil?

XANDER

No, actually, 'cause you're annoying, but that's a good reason too. (turns toward the door)

ANDREW

(panicked) Wait, I—don't leave me here alone. I keep getting att*cked in this house.

DAWN

Actually, Xand...

ANDREW

What if this is all part of the plan? Drive you guys away so it can have its way with me? Ever think of that?

XANDER

I'll risk it. (puts his hand on the doorknob)

ANDREW

OK, well, if you leave me here alone, I'll do something evil, like burning something or gluing things together.

ANYA

For crying out loud, Harris, let's just take him. At least we can keep an eye on him. (Xander waves to Andrew to join them; Andrew and Dawn go out the door) Xander...

XANDER

I know, they're out there all alone. All of 'em. (Xander and Anya go out the door)

Cut to:

27 EXT. DESERT - NIGHT

Giles is sitting by the campfire alone.

Cut to:

28 INT. LECTURE HALL AT UC SUNNYDALE - NIGHT

A group of ten women is sitting in circle formation with candles lit in front of them and glowing crystals hung around their necks.

CIRCLE LEADER

(praying) Instill us, oh, great one, with peace, with strength, with compassion, with hope. The path we seek is yours. Keep us on that path.

WILLOW*/WARREN

(walks to the open doorway) OK, wow, this is new.

CIRCLE LEADER

Um, hi, we're—

WILLOW/WARREN*

Oh, hey. I'm sorry—Willow. We actually met when I was a Freshman. And also not a boy. This is Kennedy.

KENNEDY

Hey.

CIRCLE LEADER

You're Willow?

WILLOW/WARREN*

Yeah. Wow, look at you guys. Campus Wiccans. Guess you got past the whole bake sale phase.

CIRCLE LEADER

Uh, no, we still do that too. Second Tuesday of every month. I'm sorry, I'm kind of having a hard time with the whole guy event thing...

WOMAN

(off camera) Um, it's actually her. I can tell. (turns toward the camera—it's Amy) I know her.

WILLOW*/WARREN

OK. Whoa...

WOMAN/AMY

OK, here's the thing. Hi. Here's the thing. I'll just get this out of the way. I'm sorta screwed up, but I mean you already knew that 'cause you lived it. Gotcha.

CIRCLE LEADER

But she's doing so much better now. Amy...

AMY

It's OK, Vaughne, I wanna do this. It took me a long time to really see myself. But I did. Because you know that's the crazy thing about hitting rock bottom, you get to relive all the crappy things you did. And I wanted to come find you and tell you that I was here working on things with these guys. And that they're good. And that I'm sorry. But you're here, looking like— Wow. How did this happen?

KENNEDY

That's what we're here to find out. I mean, if we're done with all the group hugging.

WILLOW/WARREN*

I got hit with this, like, glamour thing, and I can't seem to shake it myself. I was hoping someone here might be able to help.

AMY

Yeah, see the thing is we're more about healing spirits and nurturing our life force here.

WILLOW/WARREN*

Oh...

AMY

(looks at group, then back at Willow/Warren) But we'll try.

Cut to:

29 INT. LECTURE HALL AT UC SUNNYDALE - NIGHT

Kennedy and Vaughne (the circle leader) are sitting in chairs watching Amy and Willow/Warren do a spell at the front of the classroom.

AMY (O.S.)

(chanting) Her spirits true, its shell a lie...

KENNEDY

(whispers, to Vaughne) What if she can't handle this?

AMY (O.S.)

(chanting) We draw upon your very light.

CIRCLE LEADER / VAUGHNE

(whispers, to Kennedy) Do you have a better idea?

AMY

...Give back the form the soul requires. See that the balance is put right.

Willow/Warren is holding a crystal as Amy performs the spell, holding her hands underneath Willow's. As Amy completes the spell, the crystal glows and becomes hot. Willow/Warren screams, drops the glowing crystal, and stands.

AMY

(stands) It didn't work?

WILLOW*/WARREN

No it didn't, you dumb bitch! (slaps Amy across the face)

KENNEDY

Willow!

AMY

You slapped me!

WILLOW/WARREN*

No, I didn't. It wasn't me. (eyes growing wider) It was Warren.

Fade to black.
ACT III:

30 INT. LECTURE HALL AT UC SUNNYDALE - NIGHT

Amy's holding her face where Willow/Warren slapped her. Willow/Warren runs out of the room.

KENNEDY

(stands, goes after Willow/Warren) Willow...

Cut to:

31 INT. HALLWAY AT UC SUNNYDALE - NIGHT

Willow/Warren runs out into the hallway, followed by Kennedy.

KENNEDY

Willow! OK, you're upset.

WILLOW/WARREN*

Upset? Upset! Are you just tuning in? Did you not see that?

WILLOW*/WARREN

I'm turning into him.

WILLOW/WARREN*

It's not a trick, it's not a glamour. I'm becoming him. A murderous, misogynist man. I mean, do you understand what he did? What I could do? I k*lled him for a reason.

KENNEDY

Getting angry isn't helping. We can still try to—

WILLOW/WARREN*

You understand nothing about magic. In case you hadn't noticed, our little date—it's over. (walks away)

KENNEDY

Willow! (tries to follow, but is blocked by a magical barrier) Willow, wait!

Cut to:

32 INT. THE INITIATIVE SUNNYDALE HEADQUARTERS - NIGHT

Buffy and Spike are wandering around the dark hallway, deeper into the complex.

BUFFY

Be careful. (shines flashlight on rotting bodies on the floor) Oh, God. They just left them.

SPIKE

(also shines flashlight on rotting bodies on the floor) They just sealed the place off. Left everything as it was.

BUFFY

I'm thinking brief stay.

SPIKE

Yeah, you're not wrong. (shines his light on a door) I think I can get us to the med lab, find the drug.

Spike walks to the door and opens it. Buffy goes through it first, followed by Spike.

Cut to:

33 INT. THE INITIATIVE SUNNYDALE HEADQUARTERS - NIGHT

The door opens to an area lit dimly by red light that leads to a large, dark room. Buffy and Spike walk slowly through the room when they hear a noise behind them. They turn their flashlights to investigate, but they don't see anything there.

Cut to:

34 EXT. XANDER'S CAR - NIGHT

Xander's driving the car with Anya in the passenger's seat, and Dawn and Andrew in the back seat. They all look tense.

ANDREW

OK, I'll go. "R". (Xander glances back at him, but no one answers) Ghost is is hard to play by yourself.

ANYA

How long since they left?

XANDER

A few hours.

ANYA

If it is the First, and I'm not saying it is, what're we expecting to find?

XANDER

He didn't bring them out there to meditate.

ANDREW

(to Dawn) Kinda makes you grateful you weren't a potential after all, doesn't it? Safer.

ANYA

Not so fast with the big "phew".

XANDER

He might know we're coming.

ANYA

Which means we're already too late, and we're heading out to the middle of nowhere.

DAWN

With no slayer, no powerful witch...

ANYA

Just a teenager, a powerful former demon, and two big geeks.

Everyone's silent.

ANDREW

OK, license plate game, maybe?

Cut to:

35 EXT. RANDOM ALLEY IN SUNNYDALE - NIGHT

Willow/Warren's walking down the alley. She stops behind the dumpster and rests her head against the wall. She sinks down to the ground, crying, hiding her head in her hands. Then, as Warren, she starts, looks up, and starts talking to herself.

WILLOW/WARREN*

Look at me. Crying like a little girl.

Willow/Warren stands and walks purposefully down the street.

Cut to:

36 INT. THE INITIATIVE SUNNYDALE HEADQUARTERS - NIGHT

Buffy and Spike are walking through the large, dark room side by side. Something makes a sound like groaning metal. They both stop in their tracks, putting their backs together.

SPIKE

You hear that?

BUFFY

Yep. (they shine their flashlights around the room, but can't see anything)

SPIKE

Think something survived?

BUFFY

Sounds like.

SPIKE

You see where?

BUFFY

No, it sounded like it was coming from over there. Whatever it is, it's not—

Something whooshes behind them. They turn to look, but see nothing. They continue walking around. From out of nowhere, something grabs Buffy. She drops her flashlight.

SPIKE

Buffy!

Cut to:

37 INT. LECTURE HALL AT UC SUNNYDALE - NIGHT

Amy's packing up supplies from the ritual when Kennedy walks back into the lecture hall.

KENNEDY

Where'd they go?

AMY

They took off. It was a little too creepy, even for us. You're really worried about her. (stands) Look, she's gonna be fine, really. She's good at this. She's strong. And she's dealt with a lot worse. Long before she ever went out and found herself a big old potential slayer bodyguard, OK? Just have a little faith in her.

KENNEDY

I never said I was a potential slayer.

AMY

(innocently) Oh, no, I think you did. When you first got here, you told us—

KENNEDY

No, I didn't. (walks closer to Amy) How did you know who I was?

AMY

(smirks) Oops.

Cut to:

38 INT. THE INITIATIVE SUNNYDALE HEADQUARTERS - NIGHT

Spike helps Buffy fight off the demon that's attacking her when his chip misfires again.

SPIKE

(holding his head) Not now... (collapses on the floor)

BUFFY

Spike!

The demon drops Buffy and goes to Spike, grabbing him by the heel and dragging him out of the room.

Cut to:

39 INT. PAWN SHOW - NIGHT

Willow/Warren's looking into a glass display case, grinning.

SHOP KEEPER

So, same model as last time? How'd that work out for you?

Pan down to show the case is displaying handguns.

WILLOW*/WARREN

(stands, grinning maniacally) You'd be amazed.

Fade to black.

ACT IV:

40 EXT. DESERT - NIGHT

Giles is sitting by the campfire. He stands and walks around, only to be att*cked from behind by Xander, Anya, Dawn and Andrew. He screams as they tackle him, pushing him to the ground.

XANDER

Touch him. Touch him.

DAWN

(feeling Giles's shoulder) Oh, I feel him. I feel him.

XANDER

(feeling Giles's chest) Me too.

ANDREW

(feeling Giles's leg) Me too.

GILES

We all feel each other. Including some of us who don't know each other well enough to take such liberties, thank you. (glances at Andrew) I assume there's a perfectly reasonable and not at all insane explanation here.

ANYA

We thought you might be non-corporeal evil.

DAWN

We got a call. We couldn't remember you touching anything.

XANDER

We had to make sure you were OK. We were worried.

GILES

Oh. That's very sweet. Now wait a minute—you think I'm evil... if I bring a group of girls on a camping trip and don't touch them?

Cut to:

41 INT. THE INITIATIVE SUNNYDALE HEADQUARTERS - NIGHT

Buffy is looking around with her flashlight trying to find where the demon took Spike.

BUFFY

(calls out) Spike?

The demon pounces on Buffy. She grabs a nearby snow shovel and swings it at the demon. He throws her across the room. She gets up and kicks at it with both feet, pushing it away. When it comes at her again, she thrusts the shovel into the demon's chest. It growls and falls to the floor.

Buffy drops the shovel and goes to Spike.

BUFFY

Hey. Are you still with us?

SPIKE

(inaudibly) Yeah.

BUFFY

That guy was— (the lights come on in the room, and Buffy looks up at a half-dozen army men are pointing g*ns at her and Spike) just the beginning.

SPIKE

(still lying on the floor) What's happening?

SOLDIER

Miss Summers. Agent Finn reported that you tried to contact him earlier today.

BUFFY

I knew it! (whispers to Spike) Government conspiracy.

SOLDIER

(waves the other soldiers off; they put down their g*ns) He indicated you might be needing our assistance. We're to provide you anything you need to help assface here. (Buffy and Spike stare at him) Those were his exact words, ma'am.

Cut to:

42 EXT. RANDOM STREET IN SUNNYDALE - DAY

Willow/Warren's walking down the street, g*n in hand, with a determined look on her face.

Cut to:

43 INT. THE INITIATIVE SUNNYDALE HEADQUARTERS - DAY

Buffy's standing outside the examination room where Spike is lying on a table. The lead soldier comes up to her. She turns to look at him.

SOLDIER

Med team tells me they took a look at the chip. (nods) You were right. (crosses arms) It's degraded. Leave it as it is much longer, it'll be fatal to him.

BUFFY

(swallows) OK. So, how long t—

SOLDIER

Now.

BUFFY

(breathes out heavily) Right, of course. Um, what do we do next?

SOLDIER

Agent Finn said it was your call, ma'am.

BUFFY

My—what was my call?

SOLDIER

All decisions regarding Hostile 17 are to be left in your hands. This chip...we can either repair it... or remove it.

Buffy blinks, looks down, and takes a deep breath.

Cut to:

44 INT. LECTURE HALL AT UC SUNNYDALE - DAY

Amy and Kennedy are still talking.

KENNEDY

(angrily) Tell me why you did this to her.

Kennedy leans forward menacingly, but Amy waves her hands causing Kennedy to be magically thrust across the room where she lands among the chairs.

KENNEDY

What did you do to her? (stands)

AMY

(smiles cockily) What, to Willow? Oh, just your standard penance malediction is all.

KENNEDY

(walks back up to Amy) OK, and that's magic crazy talk for what?

AMY

(smirking) I put a hex on her.

KENNEDY

I got that part. But why Warren? And why did it happen after we kissed?

AMY

Oh, (chuckles) that's rich. (slinks closer to Kennedy) That must've been some kiss. You must be good.

KENNEDY

Answer me.

AMY

The hex I cast lets the victim's subconscious pick the form of their punishment. It's always better than anything I can come up with. Elegant, you know?

KENNEDY

(threateningly) Undo it. Let her out.

AMY

OK. Oh, wait, I forgot—no.

KENNEDY

Why would you do this to her? You really hate her that much?

AMY

(sighs) This is not about hate. It's about power. Willow always had all the power, long before she even knew what to do with it. Just came so easy for her. The rest of us—we had to work twice as hard to be half as good. But no one cares about how hard you work. They just care about cute, sweet Willow. They don't know how weak she is. She gave in to evil—stuff worse than I can even imagine— She almost destroyed the world! And yet everyone keeps on loving her? (in Kennedy's face) So what's wrong with having a little fun, huh? Taking her down a peg or two?

KENNEDY

Fun? (Amy nods) She's disappearing. Fading away in that creep, and you think it's fun.

AMY

It was just a game. It's not my fault if she's losing herself.

KENNEDY

I'm gonna stop you now, you know.

AMY

(smirks) Hey, I'm not the bad guy here. But I wonder where he'd be right about now. (snaps her fingers)

Cut to:

45 EXT. BUFFY'S BACKYARD - DAY

Kennedy suddenly finds herself in the backyard of Buffy's house.

KENNEDY

(to herself) Well, that was a hell of a thing.

Still carrying a handgun, Willow/Warren storms into the backyard through the gate exactly as Warren did the day he sh*t at Buffy and k*lled Tara.

WILLOW*/WARREN

Think you can just do that to me? That I'd let you get away with it?

KENNEDY

Do? Get away with— (Warren/Willow points the g*n at Kennedy; Kennedy backs up slowly, calmly) OK, let's not get excited.

WILLOW*/WARREN

(walks closer to Kennedy) It's too late for that. This is what I am. I made it happen, and I'll make it stop.

KENNEDY

Willow, what did you make happen?

WILLOW*/WARREN

You were there, bitch! You saw it!

WILLOW/WARREN*

I k*lled her.

KENNEDY

You mean him?

WILLOW/WARREN*

Her, him— (points g*n at Kennedy again) You know what I mean.

KENNEDY

You said her.

WILLOW/WARREN*

No, that was Warren.

KENNEDY

No, no it wasn't. You said I was there. Who did you k*ll, Willow?

WILLOW*/WARREN

It was your fault, slut.

WILLOW/WARREN*

You tricked me. Got me to forget.

KENNEDY

Tara...

WILLOW/WARREN*

Shut up!

WILLOW*/WARREN

(crying) Shut up! You do not get to say her name. Offering it up to whoever's there. Tricking me into kissing you. (looking lost) I didn't—I didn't mean... what I'm saying, I—I can't make— (pleading) Kennedy, I can't hold on... he's winning.

KENNEDY

(takes a step toward Willow/Warren) No...

WILLOW*/WARREN

I'm being punished. I k—I kissed you just—just for a second, but it was enough. I let her go. I didn't mean to.

KENNEDY

Kissing me didn't mean th—

WILLOW*/WARREN

No, she was never gone. She was with me. We should have been forever, and I— (cries) I let her be dead. She's really dead. (breaks down into tears) And I k*lled her. (falls to the ground sobbing)

KENNEDY

(goes to Willow/Warren's side) Willow, no.

WILLOW*/WARREN

(looking up to the sky) Please, baby, I'm so sorry.

WILLOW/WARREN*

Come back. I'm sorry. I'm sorry! Come back... (sobs)

KENNEDY

(kneels in front of Willow/Warren) Willow, I don't think you did anything wrong. This is just magic. And I think I'm figuring the whole magic thing out. It's just like fairy tales. (leans in for a kiss)

WILLOW/WARREN*

(recoils) What are you doing?

KENNEDY

Bringing you back to life.

Kennedy kisses Willow/Warren and the camera circles them as before—alternating between Kennedy's hair and Warren's hair. When the kiss is done, it's Willow's red hair is where Warren's was before. Kennedy sits back and looks at Willow.

KENNEDY

(smiles) Hmm. I am good.

WILLOW

It's—it's me? (touches her face) I'm back? Oh, God...

KENNEDY

Are you all right?

WILLOW

I have no idea. (they stand) I'm so tired.

Kennedy supports Willow and walks her into the house.

KENNEDY

Yeah. I'll make you some tea.

Cut to:

Closing credits.