08x02 - Into the Dalek

Episode transcripts for the 2005 TV show "Doctor Who". (Ninth to Twelfth Doctor)*

Moderator: Kitty Midnight

Time and Space traveling adventures of a Gallifreyan Time Lord only known as "the Doctor" and his companions.

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise  Collectibles

Classic Who   Specials  

08x02 - Into the Dalek

Post by bunniefuu »

EXT. SPACE

Space is nothing like an empty blackness, devoid of color and light. The galaxy glows green and red, streaked with golden fire. Stars cluster in bright points of blue and green. A large, bronze planet, glowing as if smelted in a furnace, floats beside a much smaller, iridescent blue orb. A spaceship flies by, resembling a modern airplane with two bright blue lights on the ends of its wings. It performs a spin as it flies toward a reddish-brown planet, through a small asteroid field, leaving behind a trail of smoke spilling from one of its wings.

JOURNEY: (urgent) Aristotle, this is Wasp Delta.

The pilot turns her head away from a bright light and squints into the brightness, while the ship beeps an emergency alarm.

JOURNEY: Do you hear me?

She looks over at her partner, slumped lifelessly, blood around his mouth, and shakes him urgently.

JOURNEY: Stay with me, Kai. Stay with me, please. Aristotle! We have been hit! Major damage!

The cockpit lights up slightly as lasers sh**t past the ship.

JOURNEY: (shouts) Aristotle!

The ship evades asteroids and green laser beams blasted from a large flying saucer; a Dalek spaceship. The Dalek ship is relentless in its pursuit, struggling to land a hit on the small ship as it spins and swerves.

JOURNEY: Aristotle, this is Wasp Delta, do you hear me? Aristotle! The enemy are right on top of us!

The small ship evades for a moment longer, but the pilot shouts as something is hit and the cockpit is filled with orange light. An alarm blares and the pilot gasps for breath. She turns to Kai.

JOURNEY: I'm sorry!

INT. DALEK SHIP

In a pristine, white, domed room, with rectangular lights in the walls, a bronze Dalek inches forward.

DALEK: Exterminate!

EXT. SPACE

A laser beam lands a direct hit. As the spaceship explodes, the pilot’s scream echoes and fades into a white void.

INT. TARDIS

The whiteness slowly clears into orbs of light, curving in three streams above in a metallic room of bronze and silver. The blurriness clears and a shiny lever split into two halves comes into focus. The pilot inhales, lying on a metal floor full of small holes. She lies underneath the TARDIS console, her helmet by her head, and slowly sits up, looking around. The DOCTOR tilts his head as he watches. The pilot gasps when she notices him. She quickly crawls to grab her g*n and stands and backs away, aiming it at the man in a black three-piece suit with short gray hair and a wizard’s eyebrows.

DOCTOR: You'll probably feel a bit sick. Please, don't be.

JOURNEY: Where's my brother?

The DOCTOR is holding a carton of two coffees and puts his other hand in his pocket as he casually approaches.

DOCTOR: Hello, I'm the Doctor.

She looks to either side, searching for her brother.

JOURNEY: He was right beside me.

She points the g*n again with resolve.

JOURNEY: Where's Kai? How did I get here?

She turns and goes down the stairs, keeping her g*n trained on the DOCTOR, still looking for Kai as he follows her around the console.

DOCTOR: I materialized a time capsule exactly round you and saved your life one second before your ship exploded, but do please keep crying.

She points the g*n up at him.

JOURNEY: (almost crying) My brother's just d*ed!

DOCTOR: His sister didn't. You're very welcome. (points with his hand) Put the g*n down.

JOURNEY: Or what?

DOCTOR: Or you might sh**t me. Then where will you be?

The pilot walks past the chalkboard covered in Gallifreyan symbols and equations and comes back up the stairs.

JOURNEY: In charge of your vessel.

The DOCTOR turns and walks casually away.

DOCTOR: You'd starve to death trying to find the light switch. Who are you?

JOURNEY: I'm Lieutenant Journey Blue of the Combined Galactic Resistance.

The DOCTOR leans nonchalantly against the console, still holding the two coffees.

JOURNEY: I demand you take me back to my command ship, the Aristotle, which is currently located-

DOCTOR: (interrupts) No. Hey. (points) Not like that.

JOURNEY: You will take me back to my command ship, which is currently positioned-

DOCTOR: No, n-n-no. Come on. Not like that. Not like that. Get it right!

JOURNEY slowly lowers her g*n.

JOURNEY: Will you take me back to my ship?

The DOCTOR gestures with his hand for more. JOURNEY pauses, confused.

JOURNEY: Please?

The DOCTOR, satisfied, turns to the galaxy displayed on the scanner.

DOCTOR: The Aristotle's the big fella parked in the asteroid belt, yeah?

He pulls the lever and the lights spin around under the floor, indicating the TARDIS is in motion.

JOURNEY: It's shielded.

DOCTOR: (skeptical) More or less.

JOURNEY looks at him, confused by his tone. The metallic groaning of the TARDIS rises in volume.

EXT. SPACE

A large asteroid floats by the golden-bronze planet. A ship glowing with blue light drifts behind the asteroid, avoiding detection.

INT. TARDIS

The TARDIS door opens with a creak. JOURNEY looks out, shocked to be alive and in a familiar place. She looks back at the DOCTOR.

DOCTOR: Dry your eyes, Journey Blue. Crying's for civilians. It's how we communicate with you lot.

The DOCTOR walks past her out the door as she wipes her eyes. She keeps looking at the TARDIS in amazement as she follows him and points in disbelief.

JOURNEY: It's smaller on the outside.

DOCTOR: It's a bit more exciting when you go the other way.

INT. ARISTOTLE, MED SECTION 7

There is what appears to be a m*nled hunk of metal by the TARDIS, next to a teal staircase. Sleek silver shuttles are lined up along the opposite wall. An officer drives a utility vehicle in the background. JOURNEY follows the DOCTOR as he walks past officers at work, canisters of varying sizes, and large pieces of equipment. The back wall is designed like a window, with a pale blue light shining through. A red diamond insignia with the word Aristotle across the center in white letters can be seen on the wall and some equipment.

DOCTOR: This isn't a battleship. Medical insignia. It's a hospital.

MORGAN: We don't need hospitals now.

The DOCTOR and JOURNEY turn to see MORGAN approach, a red-haired man with white in his beard, flanked by two soldiers.

MORGAN: The Daleks don't leave any wounded, and we don't take any prisoners.

The DOCTOR studies the new arrivals carefully. MORGAN is stoic and the DOCTOR is cynical, making for a tense interaction.

DOCTOR: I saved your little friend here, if that's in any way relevant to mention.

JOURNEY: That's true, sir. He did.

MORGAN: Thank you.

DOCTOR: You're welcome. I wish I could've done more.

MORGAN: Then you should have.

DOCTOR: Okay.

MORGAN: But you did save Journey, and for that I am personally grateful.

DOCTOR: Well-

MORGAN: (interrupts) However, the security of this base is absolute. (raises eyebrows) So we're still going to k*ll you.

The DOCTOR pauses to take it in.

DOCTOR: Oh, it's a roller coaster with you, isn't it?

MORGAN: sh**t him, bag him and throw him outside.

JOURNEY: No! Stop!

MORGAN: I'm sorry! He might be a duplicate.

JOURNEY: He's a doctor.

MORGAN is suddenly interested.

JOURNEY: And we have a patient, don't we, Uncle?

INT. ARISTOTLE, CORRIDOR

The crisp, metal, purely functional corridor is only wide enough for single-file. MORGAN leads the way, followed by JOURNEY, then the DOCTOR, while the two soldiers take up the rear.

DOCTOR: Why does a hospital need a doctor?

MORGAN: The Aristotle wasn't always hidden. The Daleks got here before us.

JOURNEY: You don't like soldiers much, do you?

DOCTOR: You don't need to be liked. You've got all the g*ns.

The two soldiers stop to guard the doorway while the others enter a room.

INT. ARISTOTLE, LAB

The lab is full of equipment, various canisters, and many wires and tubes.

DOCTOR: Wow! A moleculon nanoscaler.

The DOCTOR runs his hand along the glass of a large capsule taking up most of the room.

JOURNEY: You know what it does, then?

The DOCTOR leans against it.

DOCTOR: It miniaturizes living matter. What's the medical application, though? Do you use it to shrink the surgeons so they can climb inside the patients?

MORGAN: Exactly.

MORGAN walks away and the DOCTOR and JOURNEY follow, past rows of complex equipment.

DOCTOR: Fantastic idea for a movie. Terrible idea for a proctologist. Are you gonna miniaturize me?

MORGAN: You're a doctor, aren't you?

INT. ARISTOTLE, RUSTY’S ROOM

A pair of blue doors opens in front of the group and MORGAN gestures inside.

MORGAN: And this is your patient.

The DOCTOR looks and his face fills with fear. In the center of a black disk, a blue light slowly pulses, revealing small scratches on the glass.

DOCTOR: No, you don't understand. You can't put me in there.

A Dalek, dented and scorched, sits in the dim blue light, wires and cables all over its casing. The blue lighting in the room is accented with yellow as the Dalek’s dome lights flash.

RUSTY: Doctor?

EXT. COAL HILL SCHOOL PLAYGROUND

DANNY: Atten-shun!

Many feet stamp the ground. DANNY surveys the group.

DANNY: Look at you lot. I've never seen such a miserable bunch. What are you, children?

The camera pans out to reveal a lineup of children.

FLEMING: Yes, sir.

DANNY: You think you're funny, Fleming?

FLEMING: Yes, sir.

The bell rings and some children laugh in the background.

DANNY: All right, me too. Dismissed.

The children jog away amidst the chatter of students going back inside.

BOY: (background) What you doing, Fleming?

CLARA looks back at DANNY as she follows the students. DANNY mouths ‘hi’ and CLARA gives him a smile before following the students inside.

INT. COAL HILL SCHOOL, OFFICE

DANNY walks into the secretary’s office, which looks just as one would expect, with a computer and keyboard, phone, box of scissors and pens, stapler, files, a mug, and a plant on the desk. On the walls hang a poster board full of pinned posters, a whiteboard full of notes, and three posters of exotic places, and a filing cabinet with a row of thick folders on top squats against the wall. Just above it, a window into the next room is open, with more plants on the sill. DANNY holds a notebook while he looks at the posted information.

SECRETARY: So, Mister Pink, did you have a good weekend?

DANNY: Yeah, I did, thanks.

He opens his notebook and get out a pen.

SECRETARY: Yeah, I'll bet you did. What did you get up to?

DANNY: Er, you know. A bit of reading.

SECRETARY: Oh, I bet you were reading.

DANNY looks at her, realizing she doesn’t believe him.

DANNY: I was, yeah.

SECRETARY: Yeah, I bet you were.

DANNY: Well, yeah, I was.

SECRETARY: (loud whisper) I know your type.

A student interjects from the other side of the window.

COURTNEY: She wishes.

SECRETARY: Be quiet, you.

COURTNEY just smiles.

INT. COAL HILL SCHOOL, DANNY’S CLASSROOM

DANNY stands behind his desk, posters arranged neatly on the wall behind him, and an array of challenges posted on the Challenge Wall beside examples of and information related to Quadrilaterals.

DANNY: So that's all the questions on page 32, except the last one, and then everything on page 33. All that in for Thursday. Any questions?

FLEMING raises his hand.

FLEMING: Sir? Have you ever k*ll ed a man?

The students groan, some of them covering their faces and some rubbing their necks. FLEMING looks confused at the response.

DANNY: (sighs) I was a soldier.

He picks up his satchel and puts it on his desk.

DANNY: There were other soldiers and some of them weren't on our side. I shall leave the rest to your imagination. And, please, think of another question?

FLEMING: (playing with pencil) Okay. Have you ever k*ll ed anyone who wasn't a soldier?

There is a pause. When DANNY speaks, it is with a notable shift in tone to one of melancholy and regret.

DANNY: Just to repeat, that's all the questions on page 32, except the last one, and then everything on page 33. All that in for Thursday. Is everyone clear?

CLASS: (muttering) Yes, sir.

A teardrop sits in the corner of DANNY’s eye. FLEMING still looks curious. The tear drips down to DANNY’s nose.

INT. COAL HILL SCHOOL, STAFF ROOM

The room is abuzz with quiet conversations, phones ringing, and people going about their business. CLARA is speaking with a man with a beard who is showing her some papers.

CLARA: Fine, I'll take that class and then, they can do some of the test.

ARMITAGE: I know.

CLARA goes to pick up her red bag and ARMITAGE starts to move away.

ARMITAGE: Oh, Clara, erm, you've not met Danny Pink yet? New fella, maths. Danny?

DANNY looks up and puts his satchel over his shoulder.

ARMITAGE: Clara Oswald.

DANNY approaches and CLARA joins with a handful of papers.

CLARA: Hey.

ARMITAGE: English.

DANNY and CLARA shake hands, their smiles genuine.

DANNY: Hey, nice to meet you.

CLARA: You too.

ARMITAGE: Want to watch yourself around him. Bit of a lady- k*ll er, but always denies it.

DANNY looks away, embarrassed.

DANNY: I am not a lady- k*ll er.

ARMITAGE: See what I mean? Oh, Beth, can I have a word?

BETH (O.C.): Yeah, yeah, sure.

ARMITAGE walks off. CLARA watches him for a moment and brushes her bangs aside, thinking of something to say.

CLARA: Er, was it you that I saw outside doing the soldiery thing?

DANNY: Ah yeah, probably, the Coal Hill Cadets. Just a bit of fun.

CLARA: (chuckles) What, teaching them how to sh**t people?

DANNY: There's a bit more to modern soldiering than just sh**ting people. I like to think there's a moral dimension.

CLARA: Ah, you sh**t people then cry about it afterwards?

DANNY avoids eye contact.

DANNY: Oh.

CLARA: Something wrong?

DANNY: Nothing, no. Sorry, no, nothing. I just. (sighs) I didn't think they'd say anything, that's all.

CLARA: Sorry?

DANNY: Have they told everyone?

CLARA: (confused and concerned) No, no, no. As far as I know, nobody has told anybody anything. What are you talking about?

DANNY: Why did you just say the crying thing?

CLARA: I was being funny.

DANNY: Why?

CLARA: I just do that.

DANNY: Why?

CLARA: I don't know.

They look at each other awkwardly. CLARA purses her lips and raises her eyebrows.

DANNY: Anyway I, er, (points) I've left some stuff in my class.

CLARA: Okay, (waves awkwardly) see you.

DANNY walks past her.

DANNY: See you.

CLARA considers a moment before turning to address DANNY.

CLARA: Er, are you going to the, er, leaving thing tonight for Cathy?

DANNY turns before he reaches the door.

DANNY: Um.

DANNY walks into his classroom, his face screwed up, clenching his fists. He grunts wordless frustration, then sighs as he leans his hands on the desk. He takes a deep breath.

DANNY: Yeah! I wasn't going, but I am now, because you're going to be there, and suddenly it seems like the best idea ever.

He is talking to an empty room, chairs upturned on desks. He squeezes his eyes shut with another sigh.

DANNY: No, I'm not.

CLARA: Oh, okay, never mind.

DANNY: Good night.

DANNY walks away. CLARA closes her eyes.

CLARA: Change your mind.

DANNY stops and turns.

DANNY: Excuse me?

CLARA: I'm going. Er, I'll give you a lift. Why not?

She inclines her head, waiting for a response.

DANNY: Actually, now that you mention it, seems like the best plan ever. Thank you.

DANNY is now seated, but appears to be rocking slightly to cope with the bubbling frustration.

DANNY: Oh, I've got some reading.

CLARA: Ah, okay. Maybe some other time, then?

DANNY: (growls) Thank you!

DANNY sighs and hits his head on the desk repeatedly. CLARA clears her throat, leaning in the doorway watching him. He hits his head one more time, not hearing her.

CLARA: Is the wooden sound you or- or the desk?

DANNY sits up but doesn’t look.

DANNY: How long have you been there?

CLARA: (smiles) Longer than you would like.

DANNY: Okay.

CLARA: (chuckles) Are you going to look that terrified when you take me out for a drink?

DANNY finally looks at her.

DANNY: I- I ab- absolutely promise I won't.

CLARA: Play your cards right and you might.

She laughs as she walks away. DANNY grimaces in pain and touches his forehead.

INT. COAL HILL SCHOOL, CORRIDOR

CLARA walks down the hall, past two students talking to each other. The walls are almost completely covered with posters and diagrams. She hops up a short flight of stairs and goes through a red door.

INT. COAL HILL SCHOOL, CUPBOARD

She closes the door and turns to see two coffees directly in front of her. She looks up at the DOCTOR in disappointment.

CLARA: Where the hell have you been?

DOCTOR: You sent me for coffee.

CLARA: Three weeks ago. In Glasgow.

The DOCTOR lowers the coffees.

DOCTOR: Three weeks, that's a long time.

CLARA: In Glasgow. That's dead in a ditch.

DOCTOR: It's not my fault, I got distracted.

CLARA: By what?

DOCTOR: You can always find something. Come on.

The DOCTOR gestures for CLARA to follow him and turns to the TARDIS, crammed in the back. He shoves the door open with his foot and CLARA follows him inside.

INT. TARDIS

DOCTOR: Why were you smiling?

CLARA: Was I? (closes door) No, I wasn't.

She touches her mouth to make sure that she isn’t smiling.

DOCTOR: You were smiling at nothing. I'd almost say you were in love, but to be honest-

CLARA: Honest?

DOCTOR: You're not a young woman any more.

He hands her the coffees and she takes them.

CLARA: Yes, I am.

DOCTOR: Well, you don't look it.

CLARA: I do look it.

CLARA turns to put the coffees on the console and the DOCTOR raises his hands.

DOCTOR: Oh, that's right, keep your spirits up.

He repeats her name with fondness as he descends the staircase.

DOCTOR: Clara, Clara, Clara, Clara. Clara, Clara. Clara, Clara.

He hesitates at the bottom by the chalkboard. CLARA looks concerned by the sudden change in his demeanor. He turns to look at her.

DOCTOR: (quietly) I need something from you. I need the truth.

CLARA looks less concerned and more confused.

CLARA: Okay.

She waits for him to continue, but he doesn’t, so she follows him down the stairs.

CLARA: Right, what is it?

They both sit on the bottom step and the DOCTOR licks his lips.

CLARA: What's-

CLARA notices his tense posture and facial expression, avoiding eye contact with his hands folded over his knees.

CLARA: You're scared.

The DOCTOR pauses and takes a deep breath.

DOCTOR: I'm terrified.

CLARA: Of what?

They both play with their hands anxiously, CLARA with her nails and the DOCTOR with his fingers.

DOCTOR: The answer to my next question, which must be honest and cold and considered, without kindness or restraint. Clara, be my pal and tell me, am I a good man?

CLARA, horrified at the question, stares at his face, which is perfectly grave and sincere.

CLARA: I . . . don't know.

The DOCTOR waves his hands and looks away in disappointment. He gets up and goes back up the stairs.

DOCTOR: Neither do I.

CLARA: Er, hey, no offense, but I've got plans.

DOCTOR: I need you.

She sighs as she gets up and joins him at the console.

CLARA: Right. Where are we going?

The DOCTOR pulls the lever and the lights begin their circular journey.

DOCTOR: (quietly) Into darkness.

The DOCTOR stands before the Dalek, watched by MORGAN.

RUSTY: Doc . . . tor!

The DOCTOR approaches, cautious, but antagonistic.

DOCTOR: How do you know who I am?

MORGAN: He doesn't. We promised him medical assistance.

RUSTY: (innocently) Are you my doctor?

JOURNEY: We found it floating in space.

MORGAN: We thought it was deactivated, so we tried to disassemble it.

DOCTOR: You didn't realize there was a living creature inside.

JOURNEY: Not till it started screaming.

RUSTY: Help me.

DOCTOR: (scoffs) Why would I do that? Why would any living creature help you?

RUSTY: Daleks will die.

DOCTOR: Die all you like. Not my problem.

He turns to leave.

RUSTY: Daleks must be destroyed.

MORGAN moves to block the exit and the DOCTOR sighs and turns back in annoyance.

DOCTOR: (mocking) Daleks must be de-

He stops in disbelief. JOURNEY throws MORGAN a glance.

DOCTOR: What did you just say?

Traditional Dalek passion begins to come into its voice.

RUSTY: All Daleks must die. I will destroy the Daleks. Destroy the Daleks. (shivering with conviction) DESTROY THE DALEKS!

INT. TARDIS

CLARA is sat down with her coffee while the DOCTOR leans against the console.

CLARA: A good Dalek?

DOCTOR: There's no such thing.

CLARA joins him at the console.

CLARA: That's a bit inflexible. Not like you. I'd almost say prejudiced.

He sighs and glances away while she takes a sip.

DOCTOR: Do I pay you? I should give you a raise.

CLARA: You're not my boss, you're one of my hobbies.

DOCTOR: Come on.

He walks past CLARA.

INT. ARISTOTLE, LAB

MORGAN and JOURNEY turn as the DOCTOR walks in, CLARA close behind.

JOURNEY: That was quick.

She glances at MORGAN.

DOCTOR: (points) This is g*n girl. She's got a g*n, and she's a girl. (waving abstractly) This is a sort of boss one. Are you the same one as before?

MORGAN: Yes.

The DOCTOR leads the way to the Dalek’s room, CLARA beside him, and JOURNEY and MORGAN follow.

DOCTOR: I think he's probably her uncle, but I may have made that up to pass the time while they were talking. This is CLARA, not my assistant.

CLARA waves.

DOCTOR: She's, er, some other word.

CLARA: I'm his carer.

DOCTOR: (points) Yeah, my carer. She cares so I don't have to.

MORGAN and JOURNEY look at each other.

The door opens into the Dalek’s room, and the DOCTOR stands outside.

RUSTY: Doctor.

He enters.

DOCTOR: Hello again.

RUSTY: Will you help me?

The DOCTOR looks back at CLARA and she slowly enters.

CLARA: Will you?

DOCTOR: A Dalek so damaged, it's turned good. Morality as malfunction. How do I resist?

RUSTY: Daleks must die. Daleks must die.

CLARA rubs her lip, concerned.

CLARA: So, what do we do with a moral Dalek, then?

DOCTOR: We get into its head.

CLARA: Mmm. How do you get into a Dalek's head?

DOCTOR: That wasn't a metaphor.

CLARA slowly looks at him, afraid to ask for clarification.

INT. ARISTOTLE, LAB

JOURNEY is showing CLARA a silver wristband with a blue light, wearing one herself.

JOURNEY: These are nanocontrollers. Once we're miniaturized, they take over the molecular compression. When the mission's over, hit the button.

The button on the side beeps when JOURNEY indicates it. She clamps it around CLARA’s wrist and has three more wrapped over her hand. CLARA studies her new accessory.

JOURNEY: Are you sure you understand?

CLARA: Why wouldn't I?

JOURNEY: Because this is a dangerous mission and you look like a school teacher.

CLARA: I am a school teacher. Still didn't catch your name.

JOURNEY: Journey. Blue.

CLARA: Blue?

JOURNEY glances as someone walks by.

JOURNEY: Blue, yes. Problem?

CLARA: (smiling) No. Er, I just met a soldier called Pink.

JOURNEY: (looks away) Lucky fella.

CLARA: Lucky?

JOURNEY: (shrugs) From the way you smile.

CLARA keeps playing with the nanocontroller.

CLARA: So, er, who makes you smile or is nobody up to the job?

JOURNEY: (stoic) My brother. But he b*rned to death a couple of hours ago, so he's really letting me down today. Excuse me.

She rapidly removes herself from the conversation and gives nanocontrollers to two soldiers who are standing by as the DOCTOR and MORGAN approach.

DOCTOR: What are those ones for? I don't need armed baby-sitters.

GRETCHEN: We're not baby-sitters.

JOURNEY takes the DOCTOR’s arm and attaches a nanocontroller to his wrist.

ROSS: We're here to sh**t you dead if you turn out to be a Dalek spy.

DOCTOR: Well, that's a relief. I hate baby-sitters.

JOURNEY: Okay, listen up. (sighs) Now, remember, do not hold your breath when the nanoscaler engages. You'll feel like you want to, but you must keep breathing normally during the miniaturization process.

CLARA: (nervous) Why?

DOCTOR: Ever microwaved a lasagne without pricking the film on top?

CLARA: It explodes.

The DOCTOR raises his eyebrows.

DOCTOR: Don't be lasagne.

A technician joins MORGAN at the control panel.

MORGAN: Nanoscaler engaging in five, four, three, two. Nanoscaler engaging now.

The technician presses a red button.

INT. NANOSCALER

Everyone is in the capsule, the DOCTOR and JOURNEY on one side, facing GRETCHEN, CLARA, and ROSS on the other. The DOCTOR lowers his head, concentrating on breathing. JOURNEY and GRETCHEN, sitting across from each other, look at each other. CLARA’s eyes are wide as a soft whirring rises in volume.

INT. ARISTOTLE, LAB

An arch containing a wall of blue light slides over the capsule along a track, back and forth, gaining speed.

COMPUTER: Nanoscaling in progress.

MORGAN watches the process on his screen, the capsule represented in blue with the figures inside represented in red, along with various readings and information along the edges of the screen. The nanoscaler on the screen slowly shrinks on its base. The moving arch is now a blur and the capsule with all its inhabitants are slowly reduced in size. As the arch slows, the nanoscaler suddenly experiences a rapid alteration in size.

INT. NANOSCALER

The capsule shakes, rattling those inside. CLARA and some of the soldiers breathe heavily in the tense situation as the whirring dies down.

INT. ARISTOTLE, LAB

The nanoscaler is now positioned on a vast, white surface.

COMPUTER: Nanoscaling complete.

The technician presses some buttons that beep and MORGAN speaks into a microphone.

MORGAN: Nanoscaling successful. Everyone okay in there?

A pair of perfectly enormous tweezers comes down and carefully finds a grip on the capsule, clinking against the glass. The inhabitants are jostled, JOURNEY putting a hand on the wall for stability, as the nanoscaler is lifted off the ground.

INT. NANOSCALER

JOURNEY: (into radio) We made it. Nobody popped.

After the initial jostle, the ride is remarkably smooth. With a smile, CLARA watches the room outside like a planet’s surface below.

CLARA: Whoa. Ha. I can't believe this.

The DOCTOR watches through the floor as the base of the Dalek’s casing appears beneath them.

DOCTOR: (solemnly) No, neither can I.

The nanoscaler is attached to the end of some kind of carrying device, which looks as if it could be repurposed as a g*n, and slowly inserted into the Dalek’s eyepiece.

INT. NANOSCALER

With the rumbling boom of contact, the inhabitants of the nanoscaler are jostled again and CLARA gasps.

A technician releases the nanoscaler and backs away.

INT. NANOSCALER

Everyone looks toward the blue mist inside the eyepiece of a Dalek. The DOCTOR leans forward, mesmerized, and CLARA gets out of her seat for a better look. The DOCTOR slowly reaches out and his fingers pass through the membrane of the eyepiece, which wobbles like jelly.

INT. ARISTOTLE, LAB

MORGAN: (into microphone) We'll be following you all the way, Rescue One. Good luck all of you.

The screen now displays an image of the Dalek, its casing represented in blue and some of its insides represented in red. A yellow dot blinks in the eyestalk, indicating the position of the miniaturized team.

COMPUTER: Integration complete. Dalek levels steady.

INT. RUSTY, EYESTALK

The DOCTOR’s arm is curved and distorted as it reaches farther into the blue jelly membrane. Ripples appear on the outer surface as his head breaks through. CLARA’s hair flows behind her and her blouse ripples as she pushes through the jelly, her face indicating she is not enjoying the experience. The DOCTOR, CLARA, and the soldiers slowly float toward the light at the other end.

CLARA: That was weird.

The group moves single-file down a tight, misty tunnel. Dim circular lights run down like a pulse.

DOCTOR: You've seen nothing yet.

CLARA: What are the lights?

DOCTOR: Visual impulses traveling towards the brain.

CLARA: Beautiful.

DOCTOR: Welcome to the most dangerous place in the universe.

INT. ARISTOTLE, LAB

MORGAN watches the yellow dot as it enters the domed headpiece.

JOURNEY (O.C.): (over radio) Entering the cranial ledge now.

The yellow dot beeps as it blinks steadily.

INT. RUSTY, CRANIAL LEDGE

JOURNEY is the first to enter a curved corridor, the outer wall segmented, each with one horizontal capsule. Many thick cables are suspended along the ceiling and the largest cable runs through the center of the floor all the way around. The inner wall is full of grating, a pale golden light shining through. JOURNEY points her g*n one way, then the other. She gestures for the others to follow.

JOURNEY: (whispers) Here.

The DOCTOR is the first through and doesn’t even look around, heading straight for the space in the grating wall, through which can be seen the Dalek’s central shaft, running all the way down. A mechanical brain is suspended below them, dozens of red cables like nerves connected to every part of the Dalek. A low booming is prevalent, pulsing like a heart. CLARA joins the DOCTOR looking down.

CLARA: Oh, my god.

DOCTOR: Behold, the belly of the beast.

CLARA: It's amazing.

JOURNEY keeps her g*n up, pointing one way, while GRETCHEN points her g*n the other direction.

ROSS: It's huge.

GRETCHEN: No, Ross. We're tiny.

CLARA glances at the DOCTOR.

CLARA: So how big is it, that living part, compared to me and you, right now?

She points at the brain structure.

DOCTOR: You see all those cables?

CLARA: Yeah.

DOCTOR: They're not all cables.

CLARA looks at him. He opens his hand toward her with a gasp, pretending to be frightening. CLARA gives a little laugh. ROSS now has his g*n up.

ROSS: Does it know we're here?

JOURNEY: It's what invited us in.

The DOCTOR studies the grating in the wall and turns to his companions, pointing at it.

DOCTOR: Now, this is the cortex vault, a supplementary electronic brain. Memory banks, but more than that. This is what keeps the Dalek (sarcastic) pure.

GRETCHEN: How are Daleks pure?

DOCTOR: Dalek mutants are born hating. This is what stokes the fire, extinguishes even the tiniest glimmer of kindness or compassion. Imagine the worst possible thing in the universe, then don't bother, because you're looking at it right now. (pointing) This is evil refined as engineering.

RUSTY: Doc . . . tor?

The Dalek’s voice echoes loudly from all directions. CLARA and the DOCTOR look around nervously.

DOCTOR: Oh, hello, Rusty. You don't mind if I call you Rusty? We're going to need to come down there with you. Medical examination, and all that.

GRETCHEN: What, with all those tentacles and things?

GRETCHEN nods toward the central shaft.

JOURNEY: How close do we have to get?

DOCTOR: Well, you know, we're never going to insert a thermometer from up here.

JOURNEY gives him a sarcastic nod, annoyed by his flippancy. ROSS cocks a double-sided harpoon, it whirrs, and he sh**t a hook into the metal floor. A shock of electrical signals emanates outward with a metallic shriek.

DOCTOR: No no no. No, no, no, no!

The DOCTOR runs to stop ROSS as he charges the other end.

DOCTOR: Stop, stop, stop, you idiot!

The second hook is embedded in the floor and ROSS looks up at the DOCTOR in confusion. JOURNEY jumps in the DOCTOR’s way and shoves him back.

JOURNEY: (shouts) We need a way down, the only way-

DOCTOR: (shouting over her) This is a Dalek, not a machine! It's a perfect analogue of a living being, and you just hurt it! (points) So what's gonna happen now?

The DOCTOR slowly backs away, shrinking down.

CLARA: Oh, god.

GRETCHEN points her g*n down the corridor everyone is looking at.

GRETCHEN: What? What is it?

CLARA: (voice shaking) Antibodies?

DOCTOR: (whispers) Dalek antibodies.

A sphere floats around the corner with a droning buzz.

DOCTOR: Nobody move!

The sphere slowly approaches, another following just behind.

DOCTOR: (quickly) Any attempt to help him, or att*ck those things, will identify you as a secondary source of infection. Stay still!

Two panels slide apart like eyelids, revealing a circular blue light remarkably similar to an eyeball, complete with spokes for the iris and a white light for a pupil. Four of the eyeball antibodies float around ROSS with their buzzing, while one more shines a light directly on his face and even more approach. ROSS stands still, but turns his face to watch the one studying his head.

CLARA: But the Dalek wants us in here. Why is it attacking?

DOCTOR: Can you control your antibodies?

The DOCTOR turns his attention to something in his hands.

JOURNEY: Ross, stay calm. We're gonna get you out of this.

CLARA: Can you?

The DOCTOR appears to be messing with some wires pulled out of the wall.

DOCTOR: Ross, swallow that.

The DOCTOR tosses something and ROSS catches it.

ROSS: What is it?

DOCTOR: Trust me. (smiles)

ROSS puts it in his mouth and grimaces as he swallows it, the antibodies still buzzing around him.

ROSS: Now what?

He watches as an antibody buzzes past his face with a higher pitch. They stare at each other, until the sphere sh**t a white beam out of its pupil. ROSS shakes as he cries in pain.

JOURNEY: Ross!

The antibody waves its beam sideways along his body, dissolving his arm, then his head, legs, and torso, to his other arm, and the scream fades. It floats down to the pile of ashes in the corridor full of floating antibodies.

CLARA: (horrified) Oh, my god, what's it doing?!

The antibody sucks up the remains and its eye turns red.

DOCTOR: The hoovering.

JOURNEY gasps as the red antibody flies past her. CLARA watches it buzz down the corridor. The DOCTOR raises the green-tipped sonic screwdriver as it whirrs and he stands triumphantly.

DOCTOR: Gotcha.

CLARA: What did you give him?

DOCTOR: (messing with the sonic) Oh, just a spare power cell, but I can track the radiation signature. I need to know where they dump the bodies.

JOURNEY: (shouts) I thought you were saving him!

DOCTOR: He was dead already! I was saving us.

An antibody watches them suspiciously.

DOCTOR: Follow me. And run!

The DOCTOR runs after the red sphere, sonic screwdriver aloft. CLARA gestures to JOURNEY and GRETCHEN.

CLARA: C’mon!

CLARA runs after him, and the two soldiers follow close behind. JOURNEY glances back at the slow horde of buzzing antibodies keeping an eye on the suspicious intruders. The DOCTOR, leading the way with the whirring screwdriver, ducks under a low-hanging, steaming cable. He stops with his foot on the edge of a large chute leading straight down.

DOCTOR: They've dumped him in here. Organic refuse disposal. We need to get in there.

CLARA: Why?

Light flashes with the sound of antibody laser bolts.

DOCTOR: Those antibodies won't give up until we're inside there. I'd rather go in alive than dead.

JOURNEY and GRETCHEN sh**t at the antibodies, destroying some.

JOURNEY: You don't know where it goes!

DOCTOR: Yes, I do. Away from here. Now in. In! In!

As the f*ring continues back and forth, CLARA sits on the edge and yelps as she slides down into the mist.

INT. RUSTY, ORGANIC REFUSE DISPOSAL CHUTE

CLARA screams as she falls straight down, occasionally lit by circles of light similar to the ones in the eyestalk corridor.

GRETCHEN’s face is scrunched with determination as she sh**t.

GRETCHEN: I can hold them off!

DOCTOR: No, you can't!

The DOCTOR points the sonic screwdriver dramatically in the mist and blows something up in the center of antibody activity, but it doesn’t seem to have an effect. JOURNEY turns to the chute.

DOCTOR: Pull back!

The DOCTOR causes another expl*si*n. GRETCHEN continues sh**ting as she backs away.

DOCTOR: Down! Jump, everyone, jump!

JOURNEY jumps into the chute.

INT. RUSTY, ORGANIC REFUSE DISPOSAL CHUTE

JOURNEY screams as she freefalls, watching the long distance past her waving legs, struggling to avoid knocking against the sides. Light flashes over the DOCTOR’s face as he falls. His shout turns into a laugh. JOURNEY is still screaming, now with her eyes closed. The fall transitions into a slide and the DOCTOR keeps laughing.

INT. RUSTY, ORGANIC REFUSE DISPOSAL CHAMBER

The DOCTOR cheers as he exits the chute and is submerged in suspiciously colored, lumpy liquid, which splashes on the other three. On one side there is a large hole leading to another section full of refuse, and on the other side is a wall full of tiny holes which let in green beams of light. CLARA moans in disgust, holding her arms up due to her soaked blouse. The lower half of her hair is soaked, but she appears to have kept most of her head dry. The DOCTOR catches his breath, floating casually in the gunk.

CLARA: What is this stuff?

DOCTOR: People.

CLARA freezes and looks at the DOCTOR.

DOCTOR: The Daleks need protein. Occasionally, they harvest from their victims. This is a feeding tube.

He starts to get up. JOURNEY, horrified, scoops up a bit of the liquid in her hand and squeezes it out.

JOURNEY: Is Ross here?

The DOCTOR moves over to the wall.

DOCTOR: Yeah.

He waves his hand over the top.

DOCTOR: Top layer, if you want to say a few words.

He uses the wall to stand up, but JOURNEY grabs him and holds him up against the wall with a grunt.

JOURNEY: A man has just d*ed. You will not talk like that.

DOCTOR: A lot of people have d*ed. Everything in here is dead, and do you know why that's good?

JOURNEY thrusts her face within an inch of his.

JOURNEY: There is nothing good about that.

DOCTOR: Nothing is alive in here, so logically this is the weakest spot in the Dalek's internal security. Nobody guards the dead.

JOURNEY lets him go, raising her hands in frustration.

DOCTOR: Mortuaries and larders, (points) always the easiest to break out of. Oh, I've lived a life.

(A reference to the 7 to 8 regeneration.) The DOCTOR lies down in the large hole to stand up in the chamber on the other side.

DOCTOR: Tell Uncle Stupid that we're in. Ah haaa! A bolt hole.

He points the sonic screwdriver at a bolt in the wall at least as tall as he is. It turns with a deep creak as the sonic screwdriver whirrs.

CLARA: He'll get us out of here. The difficult part is not k*ll ing him before he can.

The DOCTOR has gotten the rusty bolt out and leaned it against the wall, and looks down the vacated tunnel.

DOCTOR: Bolt hole. Actually, a hole for a bolt.

He looks for a response.

DOCTOR: (disappointed) Does nobody get that?

He sloshes to the hole.

CLARA: (quietly) Also, there's the puns. (shakes head)

The DOCTOR crawls down the tunnel while the women slide over to the other side.

DOCTOR (O.C.): Watch it, decontamination tubes are hot.

INT. ARISTOTLE, LAB

On MORGAN’s image of RUSTY, the yellow dot flashes in the front center of the Dalek, just above the first row of spheres in its casing. MORGAN is keeping a close eye on the image.

COMPUTER: Anomaly thr*at displaced. Dalek levels returning to normal parameters.

JOURNEY (O.C.): (over radio) Rescue One to Mission Control.

MORGAN turns his head toward the microphone.

MORGAN: This is Blue, Rescue One. Report.
INT. RUSTY, BOLT HOLE

JOURNEY crawls through the tunnel, which is lit with an eerie red light, holding the radio to her mouth.

JOURNEY: The Dalek has an internal defense mechanism.

INT. ARISTOTLE, LAB

JOURNEY (O.C.): (over radio) We've lost Ross.

MORGAN bends down to the microphone.

MORGAN: What kind of defense mechanism?

INT. RUSTY, BOLT HOLE

MORGAN (O.C.): (over radio) That thing knows you're in there to help it.

JOURNEY pauses in the tunnel as the red light pulses slowly, fading to mostly shadow and intensifying again.

JOURNEY: (echoing) Yeah, well, who knows? It's a Dalek. We're going to continue the mission.

She keeps going. The DOCTOR glances back at CLARA.

DOCTOR: Are you all right back there? It's a bit narrow, isn't it?

CLARA: Any remarks about my hips will not be appreciated.

DOCTOR: Ach, your hips are fine. You're built like a man.

CLARA: (quietly) Thanks.

INT. RUSTY, CIRCUIT CHAMBER

The DOCTOR emerges from the tunnel into a dimly lit room, a deep mossy green the predominant color. A point of light travels along what appears to be a clear circuit board, reaching from the floor to the ceiling, and a faint crackling can be heard. The DOCTOR stands up and looks back as CLARA reaches the end.

DOCTOR: What's that noise?

He takes CLARA’s hand and helps her out.

DOCTOR: Are you wearing a Geiger counter?

GRETCHEN: Standard battle equipment. That's just low level radiation.

As GRETCHEN emerges, small light signals continue to travel along various tracks in the circuit board. The DOCTOR walks farther into the room, between rows of enormous circuit boards, all with tiny signals dashing across them.

DOCTOR: But stronger down here, for some reason.

He studies the circuits for a moment before turning back, arm outstretched.

DOCTOR: Gimme.

GRETCHEN hands him the geiger counter and he strides farther into the circuit board forest.

MORGAN (O.C.): (over radio) Was that him?

INT. ARISTOTLE, LAB

MORGAN: How's he working out?

JOURNEY speaks quietly so the DOCTOR can’t hear.

JOURNEY (O.C.): (over radio) It's hard to say.

INT. RUSTY, CIRCUIT CHAMBER

JOURNEY: (into radio) He's-

DOCTOR: (interrupts) I've got it. I know what's wrong with Rusty.

CLARA: Okay, that's good. Is that good?

DOCTOR: Well, you know how I said this was the most dangerous place in the universe? I was wrong. It's way more dangerous than that.

He turns and continues with the geiger counter. JOURNEY hurries to catch up.

INT. ARISTOTLE, LAB

MORGAN watches RUSTY from behind, through a window in the back of his room.

JOURNEY (O.C.): (over radio) Colonel, we have radiation indicators red-lining in here. Could be that the Dalek is more badly damaged than we thought.

MORGAN: Copy that.

The yellow dot blinks just below the second row of spheres, closer toward the red mass of organic matter in the center of the casing.

DOCTOR (O.C.): (over radio) Old Rusty here is suffering a trionic radiation leak.

INT. RUSTY, INNER CASING

The spheres, only half-visible on the outer shell, are half-visible on the inside as well, towering high above. Masses of cables stream along the inside of the casing, wrapping around scaffolding and piping. The DOCTOR and companions walk across the long floor of what looks just like an industrial factory, toward another small tunnel at the other end.

DOCTOR: It's poisoning the Dalek and us. Just as well we're here.

JOURNEY: Really? Perhaps we should get out while we can. Why should we trust a Dalek? Why would it change?

Her voice peters out with hopelessness.

INT. RUSTY, ORGANIC COMPARTMENT

The pink Dalek brain pulses with blood as it watches a screen directly in front of it. The scanner follows the DOCTOR through its own innards, apparently able to see anything it wants.

DOCTOR: (on viewer) Good question. Rusty? What changed you?

RUSTY: I saw beauty.

DOCTOR: (on viewer) You saw what?

The DOCTOR stops, listening in disbelief. RUSTY’s one functioning eye stares as he relives the moment.

RUSTY: In the silence and the cold, I saw worlds burning.

JOURNEY: (on viewer) That's not beauty, that's destruction.

RUSTY: I saw

INT. RUSTY, INNER CASING

RUSTY (O.C.): (echoing) More.

The DOCTOR looks afraid to ask, afraid to even consider the truth of his words.

DOCTOR: What? What did you see?

RUSTY (O.C.): (echoing) The birth of a star.

The DOCTOR starts to climb up some layered panels which function conveniently as a staircase.

DOCTOR: Stars are born every day. You've seen a million stars born. So what?

RUSTY (O.C.): (echoing) Daleks have destroyed a million stars.

CLARA and the soldiers start to follow the DOCTOR up the makeshift staircase.

DOCTOR: (on viewer) Oh, millions and millions. Trust me, I keep count.

RUSTY: And yet, new stars are born.

INT. RUSTY, CENTRAL SHAFT

DOCTOR: Every time.

The DOCTOR stands up in a deeper blue-green lighting.

RUSTY (O.C.): (echoing) Resistance is futile.

The DOCTOR pauses, confused and still suspicious.

DOCTOR: Resistance to what?

RUSTY (O.C.): (echoing) Life returns. Life prevails. Resistance is futile.

The DOCTOR is standing at the bottom of an enormous shaft, in the center of four flat walls with thick piping evenly spaced. Above the walls, the circular shaft rises endlessly, one side consisting entirely of dozens of pipes rising straight up. An orange light repeatedly travels up the wall through the mist.

DOCTOR: (sarcastically) So you saw a star being born, and you learned something. Oh, Dalek, do not be lying to me. (to companions) Come on.

INT. ARISTOTLE, LAB

MORGAN is once again at RUSTY’s window.

JOURNEY (O.C.): (over radio) Heading for the Trionic power cells, Colonel.

MORGAN has moved to the control panel, tapping buttons on the keypad.

MORGAN: Radiation approxing two hundred Rads. Danger levels.

The yellow dot still blinks in the center of the casing, near to the red organism inside.

COMPUTER: Radiation levels increasing.

INT. RUSTY, POWER CELL

The DOCTOR steps out of another hole into another curved corridor, the angle of curve much tighter than the first. There are a couple of pipes, but it is mostly clean, lit with an orange light.

DOCTOR: We're at the heart of the Dalek.

CLARA climbs out with a gasp of wonder.

CLARA: It's incredible.

As they start to walk around the box in the center of the room, it flashes with electricity, causing the DOCTOR to flinch. They keep an eye on it and keep back as they walk around it. The large box is topped with many large cables leading into the ceiling, surrounding a bright orange light, which flashes brightly and erratically.

JOURNEY: Geiger counter's off the scale. Looks like it's about to blow.

A fuse sends off a shower of sparks and CLARA jumps back.

DOCTOR: Good.

JOURNEY: How is that good?

DOCTOR: Well, I like a bit of pressure.

CLARA flinches, ducking her head down, when there is another bright flash. She rushes to catch up with the DOCTOR. JOURNEY and GRETCHEN follow him around the box.

DOCTOR: Rusty, can you hear me?

RUSTY (O.C.): (echoing) Doctor?

The DOCTOR rushes to a flaming cr*ck in the wall behind the box.

DOCTOR: Rusty, we've found the damage.

The sonic screwdriver whirrs as he holds it up to the top of the cr*ck.

DOCTOR: I'm sealing up the breach in your power cell.

Through the black smoke, the green glow of the sonic screwdriver cancels out the orange glow of the flames, leaving behind a black scar.

DOCTOR: No more radiation poisoning. Good as new.

GRETCHEN and JOURNEY watch anxiously. The last flame dies out. The DOCTOR turns off the sonic screwdriver and surveys his work. He looks to his companions.

DOCTOR: There. Job done.

CLARA: (nods) That's it? Just like that?

DOCTOR: An anti-climax once in a while is good for my hearts.

He walks past CLARA.

DOCTOR: Rusty? How do you feel?

The DOCTOR’s query is greeted with only silence, and the deep background thrumming of a Dalek’s inner workings.

DOCTOR: (concerned) Rusty?

He walks around a hanging cable, as if a different spot would improve audibility.

DOCTOR: (quietly) Rusty?

Fear comes into the DOCTOR’s face and he takes a step back.

DOCTOR: (frightened) Rusty.

The power cell sparks and JOURNEY jumps back, shielding her face.

RUSTY (O.C.): (echoing) The malfunction is corrected.

JOURNEY: What's happened?

DOCTOR: Not entirely sure.

The light dims, then rises beyond its former brightness to nearly blinding, as a whirring like a recharge rises in pitch.

JOURNEY: (nervous) But it- it's like it's waking up.

The light faintly pulses healthily, and the whirr of recharge reaches its completion.

DOCTOR: Rusty, come on, talk to me! What's going on?

More lights come on, higher and higher, revealing their position at the very bottom of the central shaft.

RUSTY (O.C.): (echoing) The malfunction is corrected. All systems are functioning.

INT. ARISTOTLE, LAB

MORGAN looks up as RUSTY rotates his head to face the window.

RUSTY: Weapons charged.

INT. RUSTY, POWER CELL

DOCTOR: (disappointed) Oh, no, no, no.

RUSTY: Exterminate!

RUSTY turns as the door opens, revealing two soldiers just outside.

RUSTY: Ex-ter-min-ate!

A laser beam sh**t out and the soldiers’ skeletons glow as they are thrown back. RUSTY slides along the floor, pulling out the cables connected to him, causing a thick gas to pour out of them.

INT. ARISTOTLE, LAB

MORGAN frantically pushes buttons to combat the thr*at.

INT. RUSTY, POWER CELL

The DOCTOR is shaking his head and waving his arms in extreme disappointment.

DOCTOR: No, no, no!

CLARA holds onto a large cable for support as the room shakes with RUSTY’s movement.

RUSTY (O.C.): Exterminate!

INT. ARISTOTLE, LAB

MORGAN picks up a g*n at an expl*si*n around the corner.

INT. RUSTY, POWER CELL

DOCTOR: Nooo!

JOURNEY falls against a cable as the room shakes harder.

RUSTY (O.C.): The Daleks will be victorious! The rebels will be exterminated.

The DOCTOR, staggering, holds a hand to his head in shame and defeat. JOURNEY stands up against the wall for support.

JOURNEY: (into radio) Colonel? What's happening out there?

INT. ARISTOTLE, LAB

Sparks and debris fly across the room from the expl*si*n. MORGAN backs away past two soldiers behind him as they sh**t red laser beams. Another soldier appears around the corner behind them.

RUSTY: Exterminate! Exterminate!

As RUSTY rolls up, their weapons have no effect. The two soldiers advance.

RUSTY: Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate!

The soldiers run toward the enemy and are cut down.

RUSTY: Exterminate! Exterminate!

One of the soldiers behind MORGAN is k*ll ed.

MORGAN: Pull back! Pull back!

MORGAN and the soldiers back away, still sh**ting. RUSTY slides up to the vacated control panel and places his sucker arm on the communication box.

RUSTY: Dalek fleet. Communications open.

INT. DALEK SHIP

DALEK 1: The rebel ship has been identified.

DALEK 2: Prepare fourteen Daleks.

EXT. SPACE

The Dalek saucer remains floating in the asteroid field, ready to descend upon the Aristotle base which floats in the nook of an asteroid not far away.

INT. RUSTY, POWER CELL

The DOCTOR leans against a pillar, arms crossed. The room is no longer shaking.

CLARA: Doctor, what happened?

DOCTOR: You see?

CLARA: I see what?

DOCTOR: Daleks don't turn good. It was just radiation affecting its brain chemistry, nothing more than that. No miracle.

JOURNEY: (approaches angrily) Let me get this straight. We had a good Dalek, and we made it bad again? That's all we've done?!

DOCTOR: There was never a good Dalek. There was a broken Dalek and we repaired it.

JOURNEY: (quietly) You were supposed to be helping us.

DOCTOR: I gave it a sh0t. It didn't work out. It was a Dalek, what did you expect?

JOURNEY: No more talking. You are done! (walks away) Okay, new objective. We are taking this Dalek down.

The DOCTOR looks away, frustrated and defeated. CLARA stares at him in disbelief, almost betrayal.

RUSTY (O.C.): (background) Exterminate. Exterminate.

DOCTOR: What's that look for?

He walks up to her. She is now full-on glaring.

CLARA: It's the look you get when I'm about to slap you!

She slaps him and he staggers aside with a groan, holding his hand to his face. He stands and faces her, a hand on his cheek

DOCTOR: Clara!

CLARA: (glaring) We’re gonna die in here. And there is a little bit of you that's pleased. The Daleks are evil after all. Everything makes sense. The Doctor is right!

DOCTOR: Daleks are evil. Irreversibly so. That's what we just learned.

CLARA: No, Doctor, that is not what we just learned!

She turns and walks away, and the DOCTOR watches, confused.

INT. ARISTOTLE, CORRIDOR

MORGAN bursts through a door as Dalek laser beams sh**t past and runs down the corridor, followed closely by the soldiers.

SOLDIER: Secure the door!

MORGAN rushes to a communication panel on the wall as the sounds of f*ring pervade the background.

MORGAN: (into communicator) Wasp fighters to action stations. Wasp fighters to action stations.

SOLDIER (O.C.): (over communicator) The security systems have been hacked. We don't have access to the Wasps.

MORGAN: Then God save us all.

INT. RUSTY, POWER CELL

JOURNEY has a cylindrical grenade in one hand and two in the other.

JOURNEY: We need to place these charges for maximum effect. I'm gonna scan the rest of the architecture for weaknesses.

She walks off, but CLARA follows.

CLARA: One question.

JOURNEY: No time.

JOURNEY places an expl*sive charge on the ledge of a wall.

CLARA: Why did we come here today? What was the point? You. You thought there was a good Dalek. What difference would one good Dalek make?

DOCTOR: Oh, all the difference in the universe, but it's impossible.

CLARA looks at everyone, but no one disagrees.

CLARA: Is that a fact?

The DOCTOR looks intrigued and slowly approaches.

CLARA: Is that really what we've learned today?

She walks over to the DOCTOR and gestures emphatically.

CLARA: Think about it. Is that what we've learned?

The DOCTOR stares at her.

INT. ARISTOTLE, CORRIDOR

The battle continues in the background, blue and red flashes of light streaking back and forth.

MORGAN: (into communicator) Journey, what the hell's happening? That thing's set the Daleks on us.

INT. RUSTY, POWER CELL

JOURNEY listens in dismay.

MORGAN (O.C.): (over radio) And it's locked us out of our defenses.

INT. ARISTOTLE, CORRIDOR

MORGAN: (into communicator) Journey, you're the Aristotle's only hope.

INT. RUSTY, POWER CELL

JOURNEY sways anxiously, constantly adjusting her grip on the radio.

MORGAN (O.C.): (over radio) I need you to destroy that Dalek.

INT. ARISTOTLE, LAB

RUSTY: The rebels will be exterminated!

RUSTY engages rapid fire.

INT. ARISTOTLE, CORRIDOR

Quiet falls as the soldiers are cut down, while MORGAN speaks quietly to his niece.

MORGAN: (into communicator) Whatever it takes.

INT. RUSTY, POWER CELL

JOURNEY: (into radio) Understood, Uncle. (voice cracks)

INT. ARISTOTLE, CORRIDOR

MORGAN: (into communicator) I'm sorry.

INT. RUSTY, POWER CELL

JOURNEY: (into radio) Yeah. Me too.

DOCTOR: (softly) Clara Oswald, do I really not pay you?

CLARA: (softly) You couldn't afford me.

The room shakes and the DOCTOR rushes over to JOURNEY.

DOCTOR: Whatever you're gonna do, don't do it! This Dalek must not be destroyed. We can do better.

JOURNEY: (yells) Are you out of your mind?!

DOCTOR: No, I'm inside a Dalek. I'm standing where I've never been. We cannot waste this chance. It won't come again.

JOURNEY: (shouts) What chance?! I have my orders.

She grips the pin of a grenade.

DOCTOR: Soldiers take orders.

JOURNEY: And I'm a soldier.

DOCTOR: A Dalek is a better soldier than you will ever be. You can't win this way.

JOURNEY breathes heavily while she prepares to pull the pin. She throws down her hands with a shout and takes a few steps away. She turns back, panicking.

JOURNEY: So what do we do?!

DOCTOR: Something better.

INT. DALEK SHIP

A Dalek looks through a transparent screen displaying thin blue rings.

DALEK CAPTAIN: Prepare to board the rebel ship. We must find our comrade Dalek. Spare no humans.

The Dalek appears to be some kind of Captain, standing in the middle of the room on a raised platform, behind what is probably a control panel decorated with Dalekanium spheres. Two officers are on either side with smaller control panels, all looking out at a Dalek audience.

DALEK CAPTAIN: Exterminate them all.

EXT. SPACE

Every single Dalek cries in unison as the enormous saucer descends upon the Aristotle’s asteroid.

DALEKS (O.C.): Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate!

CLARA grunts as she pulls herself up a section of what functions as a giant ladder straight up the shaft. The bottom is far below and wind blows her hair. JOURNEY, just below her, looks up for the next handhold. CLARA reaches up.

INT. RUSTY, SHAFT LEDGE

CLARA’s hand catches the top edge and her other hand appears. As she pulls herself up, the DOCTOR’s hands reach down to help. CLARA grabs his hand and he takes hold of her elbow and pulls her up. The DOCTOR stands, apparently leaving JOURNEY to fend for herself.

DOCTOR: The Dalek isn't just some angry blob in a Dalekanium t*nk.

CLARA crouches down to catch her breath and JOURNEY paces.

DOCTOR: If it was, the radiation would have turned it into a raging lunatic.

JOURNEY: Er, it is a raging lunatic, it's a Dalek.

DOCTOR: But for a moment, it wasn't.

A view from the central shaft reveals the DOCTOR and companions have only reached the ledge of a tunnel in the wall, and the shaft continues much higher.

DOCTOR: The radiation allowed it to expand its consciousness, to consider things beyond its natural terms of reference. It became good. That means a good Dalek is possible. That's what we learned today. Am I right, teach? (points at CLARA)

CLARA: Top of the class.

JOURNEY: But now it's back to how it was.

DOCTOR: But what it saw, what it felt, is still there.

JOURNEY: (nodding sarcastically) Yeah, I'm not really seeing that.

DOCTOR: Not here. There.

The DOCTOR points straight up. CLARA follows his finger.

JOURNEY: You mean in the cortex vault?

CLARA: (stands) The evil engineering?

The brain structure seen in the beginning from above is now seen from below. A bright light shines down from above and some wires are faintly silhouetted.

DOCTOR: Every memory recorded. Some suppressed, but all still intact. We need to show the Dalek that star being born again. Recreate that moment. (pointing at CLARA) You need to get up there, find that moment and reawaken it.

CLARA glances at him and does a double-take.

CLARA: Me?

DOCTOR: (points) Yes, you. Good idea.

CLARA glances up again.

CLARA: How?

DOCTOR: Haven't the foggiest. Do a clever thing. And then once you've done it, the Dalek will be suggestible to new ideas. It will be open again. And I will show it something that will change its mind forever.

JOURNEY: What?

DOCTOR: Not a clue.

EXT. DALEK SHIP

The Dalek ship rumbles as it makes contact with the Aristotle.

DALEK 1 (O.C.): Docking initiated.

INT. ARISTOTLE, DOCKING BAY

At the end of a long corridor, an expl*si*n sends a pair of double doors hurtling inward.

DALEK 1 (O.C.): Pressures equalized. Boarding corp, begin att*ck.

INT. ARISTOTLE, MED SECTION

Soldiers stand at the ready, attaching their face masks.

Dalek eyestalks and dome lights glow through the smoke and flame in the exploded corridor.

DALEK 2: Advance. Exterminate the humans.

A soldier using a barrel as an anchor for his g*n lowers his goggles into place.

DALEKS: Seek, locate, destroy!

(This appears to be a callback to the 4th Doctor’s serial, Destiny of the Daleks, when the Daleks chanted ‘seek, locate, exterminate.’)

DALEK 2: Surrender is not accepted.

Light shines behind the Daleks as they emerge from the smoke, red flames leaping from the floor and black ashes raining from the ceiling.

INT. RUSTY, SHAFT LEDGE

JOURNEY: This is crazy. (points) There is no way that we can get back up there in time.

GRETCHEN cocks the double-sided grappling hook.

GRETCHEN: Yes, there is.

JOURNEY: No, Gretchen. It'll bring the antibodies back down on us.

GRETCHEN: Tell me the truth. Is he mad, or is he right?

CLARA looks over at the DOCTOR when no one responds. The DOCTOR turns away and bites his thumb.

GRETCHEN: I've come this far. Probably gonna die anyway. Wouldn't mind something to do for the rest of my life.

She tries to smile ruefully before sobering.

GRETCHEN: Is he mad, or is he right?

CLARA puts her hand over her heart.

CLARA: Hand on my heart? Most days he's both.

GRETCHEN pauses before turning to the DOCTOR.

GRETCHEN: One question, then. Is this worth it?

The DOCTOR slowly turns, his face grim. CLARA and JOURNEY watch in the tension.

DOCTOR: If I can turn one Dalek, I can turn them all. I can save the future.

GRETCHEN: Gretchen Alison Carlisle. Do something good and name it after me.

JOURNEY shakes her head.

DOCTOR: I will do something amazing, I promise.

GRETCHEN: Damn well better.

She charges an end and fires.

JOURNEY: No, Gretchen!

The hook clangs with an echo as it digs into the metal. The unnerving metallic shriek rings out and the DOCTOR turns away. GRETCHEN charges the other side and fires it much higher up the shaft.

GRETCHEN: Go!

JOURNEY looks at GRETCHEN one last time.

A horde of antibody eyeballs floats up the central shaft with a low buzz.

INT. RUSTY, SHAFT LEDGE

CLARA: They're coming. They're coming!

JOURNEY unfolds handles on a cylinder and connects it to the grappling hook’s rope.

JOURNEY: Grab onto the rope.

CLARA puts her hands on top of JOURNEY’s and looks at her nervously.

JOURNEY: Don't look down.

GRETCHEN: Good luck.

GRETCHEN fires red laser bolts at the approaching antibodies.

CLARA screams as she and JOURNEY rapidly ascend the central shaft.

INT. RUSTY, SHAFT LEDGE

As GRETCHEN continues f*ring, the DOCTOR runs farther down the corridor, along a row of large, vertical cables. GRETCHEN still fires as the antibodies surround her.

CLARA still screams, wind whipping her hair. JOURNEY looks down silently at GRETCHEN’s final stand.

INT. RUSTY, SHAFT LEDGE

GRETCHEN takes out as many antibodies as she can, but there are far too many. One finally stares her down and the white beam sh**t out of its pupil. GRETCHEN screams, her face contorted, and it all fades to white.

INT. THE PROMISED LAND

GRETCHEN is still screaming, but her face is lit with a pale organic light, as if she is suddenly standing outside. Her scream fades and she opens her eyes. She breathes heavily as she takes in her surroundings. She is sitting in a room before a large window.

MISSY: Hello.

GRETCHEN looks at the woman sitting across from her, her face still blank with shock.

MISSY: (grinning) I'm Missy. Welcome to heaven.

She takes the teapot on the table between them which is immaculately set.

MISSY: Would you like some tea?

There are other tables, but no one else in the room. Beside them stretches an incredibly long table covered in cakes, muffins, and treats.

MISSY: Little splosh?

She makes the decision for herself when GRETCHEN doesn’t respond and pours a ‘little splosh’ for her.

MISSY: Lovely.

The door to the med section explodes.

MORGAN: Fire!

The air fills with the sound and light of laser bolts, soldiers rapidly pulling triggers. Sparks fly off a Dalek as it emerges from the flames. As soon as the expl*si*n dies down, there is another burst of flames as the Daleks slowly surge inside. The soldiers’ fire seems to have no effect.

DALEK 1: Exterminate. Advance. Seek, locate, destroy.

The Daleks begin to fire back and more explosions blast into the room.

DALEK 2: Seek, locate, destroy.

Rounds are fired back and forth, bolts bouncing off Dalek casing, but the soldiers are well protected behind cover.

DALEK 3: Exterminate.

A Dalek explodes. More explosions throw the soldiers back, forcing them to break cover. Soldiers fall as fires burn and colored beams sh**t back and forth.

DALEK 1: Advance. Seek, locate.

The soldiers are cut down and Daleks continue to stream into the base, gliding through the leaping flames.

DALEKS: Exterminate! Exterminate!

The DOCTOR slowly steps along the ledge, over cables and wires, in front of RUSTY’s screen, which is blank for the moment. The DOCTOR stands directly in front of the pulsing, slimy mass and the golden eye in the center. If you look closely, you can see the second eye, below to the diagonal, shrunken and permanently shut. (Now the Doctor appears to be at least twice as tall as Rusty’s eyeball, making him at least a couple inches in height, while they couldn’t have been more than half a centimeter tall when first miniaturized, and this type of inconsistency bothers me in most stories where characters have their size altered.)

DOCTOR: Well, Rusty, here we are. Eye to eye.

RUSTY: You cannot save the humans. They will be exterminated.

INT. ARISTOTLE, CORRIDOR

RUSTY stops in a corridor to converse with the DOCTOR, wires still attached to his casing and his dome.

RUSTY: I shall join the Dalek units in the final att*ck.

JOURNEY and CLARA jog down the curved corridor of the cranial ledge.

JOURNEY: So what do we do?

CLARA: (voice trembling) Errr, a clever thing, quickly.

She looks at the grated panel in the wall; the supplementary electronic brain containing the Dalek’s memories. Some of the holes in the grating are lit up, but many of them are dark.

CLARA: (sighs) Think, think, think, think, think.

She touches some of the darkened spaces and looks back at JOURNEY.

CLARA: Some of the lights are out.

JOURNEY: Yeah, we've got a damaged Dalek. You want to complain to someone?

CLARA: But it's not damaged, look at them.

JOURNEY: So?

CLARA: So, the Doctor said that this was a memory bank and some of the memories were suppressed. What if . . . (squats down) What if the dark spots are hidden memories? (waving at the lights) What if one of those is the Dalek seeing a star?

She looks at JOURNEY, wiggling her fingers in anticipation.

JOURNEY: Seriously?

CLARA: Yeah. (puts a hand on her forehead) Well, maybe. It's either that or the bulbs need changing.

JOURNEY: It really could be the bulbs.

CLARA: Got a better idea?

JOURNEY: Really wish I had.

CLARA: Yep, me too.

CLARA touches a grate and it wiggles.

CLARA: Ah-ha.

She pulls it out and the lights turn magenta as a metallic screech echoes down the corridor, different but similar to the sound of the Dalek being harmed.

CLARA: Watch out for antibodies.

CLARA rests the panel on the ground and holds it up as she crawls to the other side of it.

CLARA: Let's see if there's an on switch.

DOCTOR: I saved your life, Rusty. Now I'm going to go one better. I'm gonna save your soul.

The DOCTOR has to watch where he goes, stepping over the mess of cables along the ledge, and glances up when RUSTY speaks.

RUSTY: Daleks do not have souls.

DOCTOR: Oh, no? Well imagine if you did. What then, Rusty? What would happen then?

RUSTY half-closes his eye, listening stoically.

INT. RUSTY, CORTEX VAULT

CLARA appears to have climbed behind the grated panels and is on her hands and knees in a tight space lit only by dimly glowing translucent cables along the walls, floor, and ceiling. A couple of glowing blue orbs fire along some cables.

CLARA: I'm in the cortex.

JOURNEY stands guard just outside, keeping watch for antibodies.

JOURNEY: If there's a pack of spare bulbs, break it to me gently.

INT. RUSTY, CORTEX VAULT

CLARA finds something by the wall and touches it. The corridor lights up with electricity and she collapses with a shout, covering her head.

A couple of dark spaces light up.

Electrical impulses run down the cables to the central brain structure.

The DOCTOR looks up, sensing something has happened. Some images of soldiers dying by RUSTY’s w*apon appear on the screen.

DOCTOR: Your memories. I'm about to give some back to you.

The DOCTOR excitedly bundles up some tubing off the floor.

JOURNEY, swaying in distress, cannot lose anyone else.

JOURNEY: Are you okay? Clara!

INT. RUSTY, CORTEX VAULT

CLARA pushes herself up with a grunt.

CLARA: Yeah. I think there was some sort of energy charge.

JOURNEY: You got the first lights on.

INT. RUSTY, CORTEX VAULT

CLARA: Of course, it's a brain. (excited) Brains work with electrical pathways linking up memories!

She excitedly resumes crawling through the tunnel of cables.

CLARA: It's working! It's working, we're turning the memories back on!

The DOCTOR is sitting, and pulls the sonic screwdriver out of his pocket.

DOCTOR: See, all those years ago, when I began . . .

He is breathing heavily as if he has been working hard, and slowly runs the sonic screwdriver along a cable as he tells his story.

DOCTOR: I was just running. I called myself the Doctor, but it was just a name. And then I went to Skaro.

He puts the sonic screwdriver away and gives RUSTY a glare.

DOCTOR: And then I met you lot and I understood who I was.

He growls as he pulls apart the tubing, which stretches surprisingly far, but he manages to break it open and pulls out some slimy, organic inner cables.

DOCTOR: The Doctor was not the Daleks.

MORGAN’s face shines red and green with the various colored beams being fired. A fire springs up, throwing a soldier back. The Daleks continue to rumble on.

DALEKS: Exterminate.

A group of soldiers are showered with debris. MORGAN keep his w*apon on the Daleks as he retreats past his soldiers.

MORGAN: Fall back. All of you, back.

The Daleks trundle through the flames, never speeding up and never slowing down.

DALEKS: Exterminate.

MORGAN kicks open a door and leads his soldiers down a corridor.

INT. ARISTOTLE, CORRIDOR

MORGAN: Fall back.

He stops to give his soldiers cover as they run past him. The Daleks pursue down the corridor, keeping up their neverending chant.

DALEK: Exterminate. Exterminate.

MORGAN: Fall back.

The soldiers scramble to escape, f*ring hopelessly at the Daleks.

Antibodies with their glowing blue eyes buzz straight up the central shaft.

JOURNEY notices the light from the antibodies dancing on the wall and lifts her g*n, ready to fire.

JOURNEY: You'd better get a move on! There's company coming.

The stream of antibodies floats down the cranial ledge corridor.

A soldier glows and collapses with a scream.

The few remaining soldiers back away from three advancing Daleks.

DALEKS: Exterminate. Exterminate.

MORGAN: Fall back, fall back.

DALEKS: Exterminate. Exterminate.

MORGAN and the soldiers manage to get through a heavy, metal, sliding door just in time to close it between them and the Daleks.

JOURNEY fires at the antibodies, grunting with determination, and some are destroyed.

JOURNEY: Hurry up!

INT. RUSTY, CORTEX VAULT

CLARA struggles to crawl through a mess of tubing.

CLARA: Show me a star, Rusty.

She raises her hand and smacks another panel of memories, shouting and ducking her head as it zaps again.

More signals run down to the central structure.

The DOCTOR can see on RUSTY’s scanner memories of battle; Daleks flying everywhere and a spaceship exploding.

DOCTOR: Oh, look. It's your memories again.

The flashing lights reflect on RUSTY’s enormous eyeball as he watches.

DOCTOR: It's like somebody's mucking about up there. Memories, all those memories. Do you remember the star you saw being born?

INT. RUSTY, CORTEX VAULT

CLARA: Almost done. One more to go.

JOURNEY: (shouts) Hurry up, Clara! Hurry up!

INT. RUSTY, CORTEX VAULT

CLARA slams the last panel with a grunt.

The final lights come on.

INT. ARISTOTLE, CORRIDOR

The blue light in RUSTY’s scarred eyestalk dims to darkness.

JOURNEY listens for a moment as all goes silent. The antibodies begin moving backwards down the corridor.

JOURNEY: Clara, you did it! It's rebooting!

INT. RUSTY, CORTEX VAULT

JOURNEY (O.C.): The antibodies have reset.

CLARA smiles with a sigh of relief.

INT. ARISTOTLE, CORRIDOR

RUSTY’s eyestalk glows brightly before fading to its normal dim blue. The cold, blue, mechanical eye is transposed over RUSTY’s warm, red, organic eye, glowing with the memory of the reborn star.

RUSTY: I . . .

A bright golden expl*si*n of light is reflected in RUSTY’s eye. If a Dalek ever looked beautiful, it is now.

RUSTY: I remember.

DOCTOR: You saw the truth, Rusty. Remember how you felt.

The reflection fades into a single point of light. The screen behind the DOCTOR shows the newborn star, surrounded by rings of dust and gas.

DOCTOR: (extravagantly) You saw a star being born! The endless rebirth of the universe!

RUSTY: No.

DOCTOR: (points) And you realized the truth about the Daleks!

INT. ARISTOTLE, CORRIDOR

RUSTY begins spinning uncontrollably in the corridor, waving his eyestalk.

RUSTY: Truth? What is the truth?

DOCTOR: Let me show you the truth. I've opened your mind and now I'm coming in.

The DOCTOR is making squidgy sounds as he pulls on the organic cables removed from the plastic tubing.

INT. ARISTOTLE, CORRIDOR

A red point of light appears on the inside of the metal door. MORGAN stands in the center, his soldiers beside and behind him, holding cover behind pillars.

MORGAN: That door is never gonna hold. But I'm damned if I'm going to make it easy for them.

He raises his g*n. The red point spreads outward as the door melts. Soldiers are motionless, trained on the door. The point begins to cave, glowing white and steaming. One soldier shifts nervously. The door is about to be penetrated.

The DOCTOR brings together two ends of organic cables. Electrical signals pass between them as they near each other and the DOCTOR crams them tightly together. His body screams as a bright light flashes with electricity, but his mind is perfectly stable, appearing calmly in RUSTY’s mind.

RUSTY’S MIND

DOCTOR: I'm part of you. My mind is in your mind.

Dozens of points of light like stars penetrate the darkness of RUSTY’s subconscious.

INT. ARISTOTLE, CORRIDOR

RUSTY: I see your mind, Doctor. I see your universe.

As he speaks, his dome lights only flash occasionally.

RUSTY’S MIND

DOCTOR: And isn't the universe beautiful?

RUSTY: I see beauty.

The lights in RUSTY’s mind shift into billions of points making up colorful galaxies swirling by.

DOCTOR: Yes, that's good. That is good. Hold on to that.

RUSTY: I see endless, divine perfection.

The galaxies shift into a sun, silhouetting the perfectly spherical forms of planets.

DOCTOR: (intense) Make it a part of you. Remember how you feel right now. Put it inside you and live by it.

RUSTY’s eye glows with enlightenment.

RUSTY: I see into your soul, Doctor. I see beauty. I see divinity. I . . . see . . . hatred.

RUSTY’S MIND

The DOCTOR is taken aback. The image in RUSTY’s mind becomes a ravaged planet, explosions and Dalek spaceships and laser bolts cluttering outer space.

DOCTOR: (whispers) Hatred?

The Dalek ships in the imagery begin to explode.

RUSTY: I see your hatred of the Daleks and it is good.

INT. ARISTOTLE, CORRIDOR

RUSTY’s dome lights glow brightly.

RUSTY’S MIND

Explosions flash all over the planet until it ruptures into a billion pieces.

DOCTOR: No, no, no. You must see more than that, there must be more than that.

A series of images flash through RUSTY’s mind, of explosions, Daleks, and exploding Daleks.

INT. ARISTOTLE, CORRIDOR

RUSTY’s dome lights flash normally.

RUSTY: Death to the Daleks.

The orange light of flames reflects in RUSTY’s eye.

RUSTY: Death to the Daleks. Death to the Daleks.

RUSTY’S MIND

DOCTOR: No, there must be more than that. There must be more than that. Please!

INT. ARISTOTLE, CORRIDOR

RUSTY resumes moving down the corridor with a new obsessive cry.

RUSTY: Daleks are evil. Daleks must be exterminated. Daleks are evil.

The Daleks wait patiently as the door is almost b*rned through.

INT. ARISTOTLE, CORRIDOR

The point is flaming as it melts. MORGAN takes a step forward.

MORGAN: God save us all!

Melted metal drips around the hole, through which is seen the eyestalk of a Dalek.

The Daleks rotate, hearing RUSTY’s approach. The mad Dalek, dented and covered in wires, att*cks with a mad cry.

RUSTY: Daleks must be exterminated.

A beam from his g*n arm sh**t directly into the grating below a Dalek’s dome head, k*ll ing it instantly. The Dalek beside it just turns to look, too confused to respond. RUSTY ruthlessly releases bolt after bolt, not ceasing his rapid approach. Daleks are blown up one after one. A Dalek is showered in sparks from its exploded mate and one explodes spectacularly, throwing out a wave of debris. RUSTY is unhindered as he razes the Dalek force.

DALEK: Under att*ck from a Dalek!

RUSTY continues his rapid fire with no resistance.

DALEK: Ex-!

The Dalek’s innards are blown out by RUSTY before it can finish its cry. Dalek after Dalek explodes as RUSTY fires beam after beam. A Dalek shuffles side to side as if unable to determine a course of action. It is hit with a bolt and screams as it explodes, its dome head sent flying. RUSTY glides through the mess of smoke, debris, and lower halves of exploded Daleks. He raises his eyestalk proudly as he shouts to the sky.

RUSTY: The Daleks are exterminated!

RUSTY’S MIND

The DOCTOR is downcast, helpless in RUSTY’s mind.

DOCTOR: (whispers) Of course they are. That's what you do, isn't it?

Goop pours out of a dead Dalek’s head where a quarter of its dome has been blown off.

MORGAN cautiously leads the soldiers through the door, blown wide open, holding their g*ns aloft, confused, but ready to defend themselves. MORGAN lowers his g*n.

MORGAN: Journey.

JOURNEY: Uncle Morgan.

JOURNEY is back to normal size and stands beside her uncle, taking his arm for comfort as they stare at RUSTY.

RUSTY: I have transmitted a retreat signal.

The DOCTOR and CLARA also stand aside, watching RUSTY as he speaks.

RUSTY: The Daleks will believe the humans have initiated the ship's self-destruct.

MORGAN and JOURNEY hug. CLARA smiles at them.

CLARA: What about you, Rusty?

RUSTY’s dome head creaks as he turns it.

RUSTY: I must go with them.

DOCTOR: Of course you must. You've unfinished work, haven't you?

RUSTY: Victory is yours, but it does not please you.

DOCTOR: You looked inside me and you saw hatred. That's not victory. Victory would have been a good Dalek.

RUSTY: I am not a good Dalek. You . . . are a good Dalek.

The DOCTOR stoically holds RUSTY’s gaze at this comment. RUSTY turns his body, but keeps his eyestalk on the DOCTOR until he slowly slides away down the corridor. With no one facing him, the DOCTOR allows himself to look disturbed by the comment. MORGAN and the soldiers watch RUSTY as he leaves. He reaches the end of the corridor and swivels his creaky head to look at them. The DOCTOR walks out the door.

DOCTOR: Till the next time.

JOURNEY takes a step forward.

JOURNEY: Is he leaving? Isn't he gonna say goodbye?

CLARA: I think that was it.

CLARA goes to the window in the door.

CLARA: Yep, that was it. Sorry. (opens the door) Got to run!

She goes after the DOCTOR. RUSTY turns his head back and hums around the corner. JOURNEY goes back to MORGAN and touches his arm.

JOURNEY: I'm sorry.

She kisses his cheek and gives him one last look before following the DOCTOR and CLARA. MORGAN just watches her, confused.

MORGAN: Sorry?

INT. ARISTOTLE, MED SECTION 7

The DOCTOR and CLARA walk through the med section, the floor now covered in debris. JOURNEY catches up with them.

JOURNEY: Doctor.

The DOCTOR stops by the TARDIS and turns, but his face is less welcoming than usual. JOURNEY takes a breath, hesitant to speak her mind.

JOURNEY: Take me with you.

The DOCTOR slowly approaches and gives her a smile.

DOCTOR: I think you're probably nice. Underneath it all, I think you're kind and you're definitely brave. I just wish you hadn't been a soldier.

They look at each other a moment. CLARA keeps her head down as the DOCTOR turns away and walks into the TARDIS. CLARA can’t help it and looks up at JOURNEY. JOURNEY puts on a smile. CLARA gives her a sympathetic smile back and follows the DOCTOR into the TARDIS. JOURNEY’s attempted cheer is immediately replaced with gloom.

EXT. SPACE

The Dalek saucer slowly moves away from the Aristotle’s asteroid.

INT. TARDIS

CLARA rushes up the stairs with a new change of clothes and a purse, and bends down to tie her shoe.

CLARA: How do I look?

The DOCTOR has his elbows on the console and looks up from covering his face with his hand.

DOCTOR: Sort of short and round-ish, but with a good personality, which is the main thing.

CLARA: I meant my clothes, I just changed.

DOCTOR: Oh, good for you, still making an effort.

He looks away. CLARA smiles at him as she stands up and the TARDIS rumbles. The DOCTOR walks around the console.

DOCTOR: Okay, right. You're back in your cupboard, thirty seconds after you left.

CLARA wanders toward the door.

CLARA: When will I see you again?

DOCTOR: (looking around anxiously) Er. Soon, I expect. Or later. One of those.

CLARA goes to the door and opens it, but stops for a moment.

CLARA: I don't know.

The DOCTOR turns to face her, waiting for her to continue, confused.

DOCTOR: I'm sorry?

CLARA: You asked me if you're a good man and the answer is, I don't know. But I think you try to be and I think that's probably the point.

DOCTOR: (slightly cheered up) I think you're probably an amazing teacher.

CLARA: Hm. I think I'd better be.

She steps out and closes the door with a smile. The DOCTOR turns back to the console with a fond little smile.

INT. COAL HILL SCHOOL, CORRIDOR

CLARA opens the cupboard door and looked around as she walks out.

DANNY: Ah, hey.

CLARA is startled and quickly closes the door when DANNY appears behind her. She smiles brightly and tries to act normal.

CLARA: Hey! (awkward pause) Danny.

DANNY: Have you changed your clothes?

CLARA: Yes. Yes, I- I have. (points) Well noticed.

DANNY: Okay, good.

CLARA: (points) Yes, good. Very good. Good work. You passed the test.

DANNY chuckles as they go up the small flight of stairs and down the corridor together.

DANNY: Are you really gonna go for a drink with me?

CLARA: (chuckling) Yeah. Course I am. Why wouldn't I?

DANNY: I just thought-

CLARA: Thought what?

DANNY: (stops) I thought you might have a rule against soldiers.

CLARA: No. No, not at all.

DANNY goes into his classroom and CLARA keeps walking.

CLARA: Not me.