03x11 - Live Wire

Episode transcripts from season 2 to 6 and the pilot script. Show now ended.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

Jake Doyle and his father Malachy run a private investigations agency in St. John's, Newfoundland. Their cases involve them in all sorts of dealings - not all of them on the right side of the law.

03x11 - Live Wire

Post by bunniefuu »

[Narrator] Previously on Republic of Doyle.

[Rose] Kathleen seemed, um, out of sorts today.

[Rose] Anything I can do? Because you look like you're about to jump out of your skin.

[Leslie] Walter's dating Jake's sister.

[Walter] He knows about us.

[Rose] Your father says hello. Jody redmond.

[Des] I thought if you knew, then--

[Rose] It's okay. I get it.

[Des] Jake, would you classify me as, oh... An attractive man?

[Jake] Yes, Des. You're very handsome.

[Des] Are you okay?

[Tinny] Could you just shut up for once and give me a hug?

[Tinny] I'm getting the sneaking suspicion that mom is about to bolt again.

[Kathleen] What's the best price that you have on a, uh, a last minute one-way ticket?

[Jake] Did you happen to tell your new boyfriend that you're gonna be leaving, maybe?

[Kathleen] Of course.

[Walter] Kathleen around? She hasn't been answering any of my messages. We got dinner reservations.

(Seagulls)

[Rose] Hey, Des, try and relax, okay?

[Des] Yeah. Okay.

[Des] I just got a case of the jitters, you know? Plus I shouldn't have had those five white heats from hava java. Melted chocolate's really not my friend.

[Rose] He looks like you. Well, obviously.

[Des] Well that's weird, because that's... That's not my dad.

[Rose] What are you talking about? I met with him myself in prison. He had a photo of you.

[Des] Yeah. No, no, no. No, that's Ralph. That's my dad's cell mate. He always pretends to be my dad. He probably stole that photograph. Prison can do weird things to a man.

[Rose] In any case, either way Des, um, it's perfectly okay for you to feel whatever you want to feel. I mean, your dad just got out of jail. It gonna stir up some big emotions.

[Des] Yeah, I know. It's just normally when I see him he's on the inside where he was a c*ptive audience, and now that

[Des] What if he doesn't like me?

[Rose] Oh...

[Des] Jake always says I have a way of wearing on people's nerves, which is totally true because sometimes I even bug myself to the point where I just tune out.

[Rose] Okay, your dad is really looking forward to seeing you. It's okay.

[Des] What if he's disappointed in the way I turned out?

[Rose] Oh my God, he just got out of prison. I'm sure he's not going to judge. Besides, anyone would be lucky to have you in their family.

[Des] Oh, he's coming. He's coming.

[Rose] Okay. Good luck.

[Jody] It's good to see you, son.

[Jody] Pierce.

[Des] Uh, actually, I-- I go by "Des" now.

[Jody] Des. Right. Sorry. Hi Des.

[Des] Hi.

[Des] Uh, oh, this is rose.

[Jody] Oh hi!

[Rose] Hi.

[Jody] Thanks. Uh, thanks for-- for meeting up with me. You look good.

[Des] (Laughs)

[Jody] You look just great. You look just great. And so do you. You look great too.

[Rose] Thank you. Thanks. - I-- I mean, you look nice is all I'm-- - No--

[jody] Uh, sorry. - Thank-- Oh God. It's gonna take me a while to get used to-- to, you know, being out. To everything.

[Des] So what do I call you? Should-- uh, Jody, or Mr. redmond? Or, or maybe a nickname if you had one on the inside?

[Jody] Uh, you could try-- try "dad" if you... you know, if-- if-- if it's not too soon.

[Des] Uh, no. Yeah, dad could work.

[Jody] Right now there's something urgent that we need to discuss.

[Des] Yeah, okay.

(Whack)

[Des] Ah!

[Jody] Geez!

[Harris] Let's go, Jody, if you want your boy to live.

[Rose] What are you doing to him?

[Harris] He's not worth it.

[Jody] He's right. I'm not.

[Rose] Don't do anything stupid.

(Tires squealing)

[Des] (Gasping and panting)

[Rose] Are you okay, Des?

[Des] No, rose. Someone kidnapped my dad.

♪oh yeah (Oh yeah)♪
♪oh yeah (Oh yeah)♪
♪oh yeeah oh yeeah♪
♪oh yeah♪

[Tinny] Des, poppy and Uncle Jake are on this.

[Des] I gotta go.

[Jake] Whoa, whoa, whoa. Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Where are you going? Come on. You can't run off half-cocked here, okay? That's not gonna help your dad.

[Des] Jake, they have my father. You'd do the same thing if they had Malachy.

[Jake] Well, not necessarily.

[Tinny] Uncle Jake, he's right. We have to find his dad. What are the cops saying?

[Mal] Nothing's been reported to the police as of yet. Pretty clean getaway.

[Jake] Alright Des, you need to tell us everything you know. Did Jody mention did anybody have it out for him?

[Des] No! I mean, I don't know. He probably made a few enemies while he was in the slammer. One would be bound to, but, look, I don't know what to do here!

[Mal] It's okay Des. We know your father was involved in a string of jewelry store robberies. Let's start there.

[Jake] Right. First, how did you even know that he was getting out?

[Des] Because I visited him a couple times in the last year. And, and then he calls me, and then he says he's being released for good behaviour, and then... He says he wants to meet up. And he said we have a lot to talk about.

[Mal] We may have to consider that Jody is involved in something criminal here.

[Des] No! No, b'ys, he's changed. Look, I'm telling you-- You gotta trust me on this one, okay? I can feel it.

[Tinny] Des, we do trust you. It's okay. Uncle Jake, what now?

[Jake] Well now I could call Leslie?

[Des] No! No, no, no. No, no. If we rely too much on the cops, then-- then they're going to suspect the worst. And if he's caught violating his parole even by accident, then they're gonna send him back.

[Jake] Okay, no one's gonna send him anywhere. Not yet. Just let us look into this.

[Mal] Rose, did you get a good look at the guy who grabbed Jody?

[Rose] No. I couldn't see his face. He had a mask on. But I got this. Plate number. Image needed work, but I got it.

[Jake] Nice. Alright, can you follow up with this? Dad, let's go check out the penitentiary. Maybe Jody left some belongings there, see if we can find anything that might help us.

[Jake] Des, don't worry, alright? We're on this.

(Door opening)

[Kathleen] You know what Walter? I'm sorry, okay? I just have a lot going on right now.

[Walter] You're not returning my calls. Like, what did I do? That's-- that's all I'm asking. Because if it's me, I can change. Like, I can change big time.

[Kathleen] Look, it's-- it's just me, okay? And-- and, you know, it's not a big deal at all, so...

[George] This whole family. Wow. (Laughs) It's really cute, you know? You all seem so close.

[Walter] Hello? Kathleen?

[Kathleen] Walter, I gotta go.

[Kathleen] Hey.

[Kathleen] George! Hey, you look good. What are you doing in town? This is-- this is a-- a surprise.

[George] And now this has to be your daughter, right?

[George] Yeah, she looks just like her mom. So pretty.

[Kathleen] So what are you doing here?

[George] Kathleen, you know exactly what I'm doing here.

[Kathleen] You know, we'd already broken up, right, when I left? So... I didn't really feel like I, you know, needed to ask your permission or anything.

[George] I think you have something that belongs to me.

[Kathleen] I don't know what you're talking about.

[George] You see, I don't mind that you took my money-- Well, I do mind. It's a lot of money.

[Kathleen] (Laughs) What?

[George] But I have a lot more.

[Kathleen] Come on. You're insane! I didn't steal your money.

[George] Why don't you stop talking now, before the hole you're digging becomes deep enough to bury you in? That money is one thing, we can deal with that later. Right now--

Right now, what I want is my little blue book.

[Kathleen] Hey, come on. You-- (Crash)

[George] You see that book has all the names, and more importantly the money, that each of those names owes me. Now I know you swiped it from my club, so don't try and talk your way out of this Kathleen. I understand why someone would take money. Why would-- Why would you take a book?

[Kathleen] How do I know you're going to leave me alone if I give it back to you?

[George] How about this? I promise you if you don't give it to me, I will never leave you alone. Is that clear enough?

[Kathleen] It's not here.

[George] Clock's ticking.

(Sea gulls)

So, Jody left all this stuff behind-- - Des!

[Des] Look, I know. I know you told me to stay, but I can't. Jake, please.

[Jake] I mean, he's here now, so...

[Mal] This is what remains of Jody's belongings left behind in his cell.

[Des] A whole life on this planet and all my dad has to show for it can fit inside a cardboard box?

[Mal] Better days ahead, son. Quite the eclectic collection.

[Jake] Yeah, like father like son.

[Des] Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. We had one of these when I was a kid. Um yeah, an Australian cattle dog. My dad said that he found him, but I'm pretty sure he won him in a game of poker, so I called him chip.

[Mal] (Chuckle)

[Jake] Look at this. Jody's got the page turned down, and he's got something written here. "Puffin Parts Centre".

[Des] That's, um, uh, that's an electronics company. I bought some stuff off them last year, surveillance gear.

[Jake] You bought-- Who paid for it?

[Des] You. Uh, me. You. You did. It was deadly wicked gear. Expensive.

[Mal] Nice work, Des.

[Des] Yeah.

[Hood] Malachy, a minute? Go away. We all hate you.

[Jake] Me?

[Mal] He's right. They really do.

[Jake] Whatever. Des, come with me.

[Des] What?

[Jake] Come on.

[Des] Ow!

[Mal] What is it?

[Hood] Between us, this just came in. Thought I should give you the head's up.

[Mal] Appreciate it.

[Rose] I don't see a black SUV anywhere.

[Tinny] Nope. I can't believe Des never told me about this; his dad getting out of jail.

[Rose] I'm sure he would have told you in good time. I guess he doesn't want you to think any less of him.

[Tinny] That's not possible.

[Rose] Yeah right. Keep telling yourself that, dolly.

[Tinny] (Sigh)

[Rose] Look, we all love Des, and I know you care about him the most, so why don't we just help him fix this, okay?

[Tinny] Deal.

[Rose] Okay, so no SUV. Now what?

[Tinny] Whoa, check it out. This one's missing a plate.

[Rose] The car doesn't look like it's been used in a while.

[Tinny] Ah, look. Townie car rental.

[Rose] Okay. Looks like they stole the plate off of this one and switched it with the plate on the rented SUV.

[Tinny] But broke the frame off in the rush.

[Rose] Well, I guess we know who to call. Nice work, kid.

[Jake] So the supervisor's never heard of the order number, he has no idea what the parts could be used for, and obviously he's never heard of your father.

[Des] If-- if my training's taught me anything, I would say that this guy is stealing gear from his own workplace. Unbelievable.

[Jake] Nice eyes.

[Des] Eh, they have a nice color, I guess.

[Jake] Not him. You.

[Des] Thanks.

[Des] Oh, maybe he's stealing whatever it is my dad's been trying to order.

[Jake] Hey!

[Des] He's bolting!

(Fence rattling)

[Baxter] Sorry, old man. Too slow.

[Des] Alright... Baxter, if that is your real name. Not only do we know that you're a thief, but you might also have information about this. So spill it!

[Baxter] Cattle dog? Bred in Australia for herding cattle. Why-- why are you asking me about a cattle dog?

[Jake] Des, show him the order number, you dink.

[Des] Yeah, the order number, you dink.

[Jake] Search him.

[Jake] What do ya know? Hey Baxter, maybe we should, uh, you know, talk to your boss about the electronics you've been collecting.

[Baxter] Okay. There's this guy, he's coming by in an hour.

[Jake] An hour? Well, we'll be waiting. Let's go.

[Des] Yeah, come on.

(Police sirens)

(Police chatter)

[Mal] (Sigh)

[Leslie] When was the last time you saw staff Sergeant Reese?

[Mal] Uh, I hadn't seen him in months.

[Leslie] According to his cell phone, you were the last person he called before he d*ed.

[Mal] I didn't speak to him. Now I wish I had.

(Police siren)

[Des] Man, you could build almost anything with these parts. You could-- like a blender, a car radio, a remote control. Or one of those vacuum hair-cutting things.

[Jake] Could be an expl*sive device.

[Des] You think my dad was planning to build a b*mb? Why would he? Why would he be doing this now?

[Jake] Okay, just calm down, alright? Let's just stay cool until we can get a handle on what's actually going on here.

[Des] Whoa, Jake, we gotta go! We gotta move! We gotta go right now!

[Jake] Relax. Sit down. Okay? You gotta trust me. If the kidnapper's here, chances are he didn't bring your father with him.

[Des] Right.

[Jake] So?

[Des] So, okay, yes. We'll follow him and he'll lead us to dad. Okay. I get it. I get it. I totally get it.

[Des] That's the kidnapper's signature move.

[Des] Hey! Hey!

(Tires squealing)

[Des] Was that it? I mean, is-- was that our last chance to get my dad back?

[Jake] Relax, okay? I planted a GPS in one of the boxes. It'll lead us right to him.

[Leslie] They didn't try and hide the body. Whoever k*lled him didn't mind that everyone would think it was a m*rder.

[Mal] You think someone was sending a message?

[Leslie] We're short on leads. There's not a scrap of evidence at the crime scene.

[Mal] So whoever this was, whoever k*lled him, they knew what they were doing.

[Leslie] Do you know anything about Reese that could help? I hear you two were pretty tight on the force.

[Mal] That was a long time ago. Is this an interrogation, Sergeant?

[Leslie] No, I just know that you used him for odd jobs from time to time.

[Mal] He helped us out once or twice, but so do a lot of people. We're PI's

[Leslie] Do you know if he was being threatened? Did he have any habits that could be relevant?

[Mal] Sorry Leslie. Uh, not that I know of. I mean, we all know Reese had some techniques that weren't exactly legit, but... I have no idea what got him k*lled.

[Leslie] Mal, I don't need to remind you how seriously the RNC takes the death of one of our own. I've been put in charge of this case, and I'm not gonna take it lightly.

[Mal] I hope you catch whoever is responsible for this. Keep me posted if you find anything.

(Alarm)

[Harris] What did you just do?

[Jody] I-- I-- I-- I don't know what what I did. Listen, I just-- I-- I-- I-- I connected the red to the-- This should not be happening!

[Des] Dad! Dad!

[Jake] Jody? J-- Dad, what's going on? Dad?

[Jake] What the hell's going on here, eh?

(Whack)

[Des] Dad!

[Jody] Sorry. I'm sorry.

[Des] Why are you doing this? What are you doing?

[Jody] You gotta forgive me son.

[Des] Dad! Dad! Talk to me! Dad!

[Jody] Forgive me, please.

[Des] Where're you going?

[Jody] (Grunt)

[Des] Hey! Hey!

[Jake] (Groaning)

[Des] Oh, Jake. Jake, are you okay? Are you alright?

[Jake] Oh, he punched me right between the legs.

[Des] Look, I think it's safe to say, based on what we're seeing, that my dad probably wasn't kidnapped.

[Jake] You think?

[Jake] Obviously those electronics weren't for use for a b*mb.

[Des] But why would my dad be breaking into a-- a party supply shop?

[Jake] I don't think it was the party supply shop that he after.

♪Yeeah♪

[Des] It's a homemade security system scrambler. Some of the parts are really hard to get. You need to be, like... Like a certified dealer.

[Jake] Or you could just get a skeet to steal some for you.

[Des] Dad's like a tech genius. And this, this contraption is like super simple.

[Jake] So what?

[Des] So is my dad a horrible technician? Oh dear lord.

[Mal] A jewelry store next door to the party supply place.

[Jake] Yeah. So what are you thinking, old man? They break into the party supply place, knock down the wall to get into the jewelry store.

[Mal] It's a messy thing to do in the middle of the day.

[Des] My dad wouldn't do this. He wouldn't do this. I don't know how I know, but I know. Something is really, really wrong here. He said he was going to leave this whole life behind him. And as I feel I am really good at seeing man's true intentions... I believe him.

[Jake] Alright, alright. Look, I'll just-- I'll go talk to Leslie and see if she can give us anything on the identity of our kidnapper.

[Des] Don't mention dad's name.

[Jake] Okay, I'll be super vague about our robber too.

[Des] It's my father.

[Des] I-- I'm sorry, Mal. Not that you're not like a father... I mean, you are like a father figure to me. I mean, actually you're more like a grandfather. I think all the stress is really getting to me right now, and now I just gotta pee, so...

[Leslie] I need that ballistics report on Reese now please.

[Jake] (Knocking)

[Jake] Hey. Uh, bad time?

[Leslie] Jake Doyle, when it comes to you, any time is a bad time.

[Jake] What is wrong with everybody? Honestly, it feels like everybody around here is completely contrary. What's going on?

[Leslie] Didn't your father tell you?

[Jake] Tell me what?

[Jake] You know, Leslie, before when you used to always be mad at me it was kind of cute, but now, to be honest with you, it's just coming across as really, really mean. I'm hurt actually.

[Leslie] Well I'm so sorry if I'm coming across as mean, Jake, but a cop's been m*rder*d. Raymond Reese. Your father's old friend and partner.

[Jake] Right.

[Leslie] So forgive me if I don't have time to go chasing after someone's missing ice cream truck or whatever it is you're on about.

[Jake] Well it was nice to see you again.

(Phone ringing)

[Leslie] Out. Now.

[Jake] I'm going.

[Leslie] Bennett.

[Jake] (Clap)

[Jake] Hood! How, uh, how's it going buddy? It's good to see you.

[Hood] What? No bald jokes, no insults? What do you want?

[Jake] Well, I-- well, now that you mention it, I was wondering if you could, uh, just get me a little bit of information on this guy. I'm pretty sure he's a felon of some kind.

[Hood] Why did I bother stopping?

[Jake] No, no, no. Look, I was just talking to Leslie Bennett and she told me to find you and tell you that she said that you help me, you know, get some information on this guy.

[Hood] I don't buy it.

[Jake] Well then, you can ask her yourself if you want, but, uh, she's not in a very good mood today.

[Leslie] I don't want to hear it! Just hurry up!

[Hood] I'll look into it.

[Jake] Good man. Thanks. Appreciate it. Just find out where he works, you know, where he hangs out. Anything like that maybe we should... you know... no.

[Des] That's him. That's my dad.

[Mal] You mean the woman with the black hat?

[Des] Okay, although there isn't much of a resemblance, it could be a disguise.

[Mal] We're gonna find him and get to the bottom of this. Just have patience.

[Des] (Sigh)

[Des] Are some people just bad? I mean, maybe... Maybe some people can't change who they are. My dad only lasted three hours out of jail, and he already is after robbing a jewelry store. Maybe he can't help it. Maybe it's like a nervous tick... Except with alarms and the odd expl*si*n.

[Mal] Don't know the whole story yet. Let's wait and see before we rush to judgment.

[Des] But if this is my dad, I mean if this is really who he really is-- Then what does that say about me?

[Mal] A man can't be defined by who his parents are. A man can only be defined by his own intentions and actions.

[Des] Yeah, yeah, I suppose.

[Mal] And your intentions and actions, Des Courtney, are nothing but admirable.

(Phone ringing)

[Mal] Hello?

[Sonja] Mal, don't ignore me.

[Mal] Hello? Who is this?

[Sonja] We need to talk about Reese. You know we do.

[Mal] (Sigh)

[Des] What's up?

[Mal] Nothing. Let's get back to the office.

[Rose] Okay, so there was one SUV rented from townie car rentals in the last week to a Mr. Michael rowe.

[Jake] Michael rowe? Hood told me our guy's name is Lionel Harris, a career criminal with no known whereabouts.

[Mal] So who is Michael rowe?

[Rose] Well, he's been dead for about, uh, five months.

[Des] Wow. He's gonna owe a fortune in rental fees.

[Jake] Why would Harris be pretending to be Michael rowe? What did this guy do for a living?

[Rose] Uh, well, he was a government employee... who seems like he had a pretty high clearance level.

[Jake] Okay. They order two of every electronics part. Why?

[Des] In case one broke.

[Mal] Or the party shop was a dry run.

[Jake] They were testing the scrambler out. Des, give me a list of every business in town that would have that exact same security system.

[Des] I'm way ahead of you, dude. Okay, so they're a small security system, and according to their site their... their clients include "Party Time", "The Glacier" "Mount Pearl", uh, "Dr. Snelgrove's Office", "The Customs Way Station"--

[mal] The Custom's Way Station? There'll be all kinds of valuable items there awaiting clearance before being shipped off to anywhere in the world.

[Rose] Yeah. And a high-level clearance job would make sure you had access to whatever's coming into town and when.

[Des] That's gotta be the target.

[Rose] Okay. Nice work Des. I'll track down the address.

[Jake] Des.

[Des] Jake, we gotta go. In most kidnapping cases not involving a ransom, the victim is k*lled within the day. The day, Jake. The day!

[Jake] Yeah, I know, but I'm pretty sure we established that your father hasn't been kidnapped.

[Des] That is a good point.

[Mal] Look, just breathe buddy.

You need to stay here--

I know! I'm too close! Yes, I get it! I--

(Bang)

[Des] I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'll-- I'll clean all that up after.

[Kathleen] Rose.

[Rose] Hey Kathleen.

[Kathleen] Hey. Do you have a minute? I-- I just wanted to ask you some advice. Just--

Mom. There you are. We've been trying to get a hold of you.

[Kathleen] Yeah.

[Tinny] Des' father has been kidnapped.

[Kathleen] What did you say?

[Rose] Yeah. Jake and Mal are running down a lead.

[Tinny] Can you come with us? We could use your help.

[Kathleen] No. No, I can't actually. I, uh, I have to stay right here. I-- I'd like to.

[Tinny] What do you mean? Des is a total mess.

[Kathleen] Honey... you know what? I'm gonna catch up with you later. Okay? I promise. I will.

[Tinny] Mom, what's going on with you?

[Kathleen] It's a long story. I'm gonna explain it to you later. Alright?

[Kathleen] What?

[Rose] Not good, Kathleen. Really not good.

(Cell phone ringing)

[Des] Hello?

[Jody] Son? Hi. Hi there, uh, Des.

[Des] Dad!

[Jody] So, uh, are you okay? I mean, are you-- are you keeping okay?

[Des] Dad, why are you doing this?

[Jody] Listen to me, Des. I, uh, I have screwed up your life enough, okay? You deserve better. God, I am so proud of you Des--

[Harris] Tell your friends to keep clear, or your father is dead.

[Harris] I thought you were smarter than to get your son involved.

(Door opening)

[Tinny] Where are you off to?

[Des] I gotta go. My dad's life is at stake. And please don't try and stop me.

[Tinny] Okay, for the record if I wanted to stop you I would. You can go, but only if I come with you. As back up.

[Des] Sold. Come on.

[Tinny] Now what?

[Des] Look, Tinny, um... I want you to know that no matter what happens in there, I think you're... You're awesome.

[Tinny] (Laughs)

[Des] I mean with your support in the time of my dad's kidnapping.

[Tinny] Des, we're all here for you. The whole family. And... I'm here for you.

(Click)

[Tinny] What the hell is this?

[Des] I'm sorry. I learned that from Jake. This is too dangerous and I can't take the chance of losing you too. I'm sorry.

[Tinny] Are you kidding? Get back here!

[Des] Just for the record, we were totally gonna kiss, right?

[Tinny] Uncuff me or I am going to fill your eyes with crazy glue.

[Des] I'll take that as a maybe. Okay.

[Tinny] Des!

[Tinny] What the hell?!

(Footsteps)

(Phone ringing)

[Jake] What's on fire?

[Kathleen] What? Nothing.

[Jake] Oh, so you just calling for a good old brother-sisterly chat, did you?

[Kathleen] Okay, fine. You know what? I need your help with something, but it's not a big deal. Kathleen, I want to help you, I do... I can't right now. Okay? I'll call you back and I'll deal with whatever the hell you want me to deal with. Okay? Bye.

[Kathleen] No, J-- No, it's nothing. I can handle it.

(Doors slamming)

[Jody] You don't understand.

[Harris] Never mind what you think I do or don't understand. Let's move it.

[Jake] Hey, fellas! Planning another little B and E, are we?

[Harris] Who is this guy? Let's go.

[Jody] No. Look, no--

[Harris] Let's go!

[Jody] Harris, what about the customs crates?

[Harris] We'll come back.

[Jake] You have a son, okay? You have a son!

(Engine starting)

[Jake] And for some reason he's the only person in the world who cares about a jerk like you, and all you want to do is put him in danger?

[Jody] You don't understand. Harris said that he's going to k*ll me and Des unless I give him--

[Jake] Get out of the way!

(Tires screeching)

[Des] What, wait-- Dad! Dad!

[Harris] I'm not your dad, kid.

[Des] (Grunt)

[Jake] (Panting)

[Jody] He's got my son.

[Jody] Des!

♪ Oh yeah ♪

(Door opening)

[Rose] Mal! Thank God. It's Des.

[Mal] What happened? Where is he?

[Rose] Harris grabbed him.

[Mal] My God! We need to find him, now! We need--

[Jody] Hello! I'm, uh, I'm Jody.

[Mal] Oh.

[Jake] Okay, everyone just stay calm. Alright? We'll find Des. Why would Lionel want to kidnap your son?

[Jody] Well, I owed him... Some money from years ago, and you know how it is, I couldn't pay it back. So, uh...

[Mal] And he wanted you to help him pull another job.

[Jody] Exactly. My plan was to get out of jail and then leave town with Des before Harris got to me.

[Rose] Well you miscalculated that one.

[Mal] Yeah. Slightly.

[Jody] I really thought that if I could just get a step on Harris, but he was there so soon-- You've got a lovely office here.

[Rose] Yeah, thank you. M-- Mal, honey, you okay? We're gonna find him you know.

(Phone ringing)

[Mal] I'm fine, I'm just--
I should have been there.

[Jake] Guys. It's Des.

[Jake] Dessie, you okay?

[Des] Jake, I'm sorry. I shoulda listened to you. I'm really sorry I let you down, but there was a chance I could have made this work.

[Jake] Never mind about that. Where are you?

[Des] Oh, and can you unlock Tinny out of the surveillance van, because she's really not going to be happy-- Jake!

[Jake] Des?

[Harris] There you go. I got the kid. If you want to see him again you'd better get me my customs crates.

[Jake] And how am I supposed to do that?

[Harris] Not my problem. But you don't have much time. They're shipping out tonight.

[Jake] How's this for an idea? You give Des back and I won't gut you while you sleep.

[Harris] Just do the job, hot sh*t.

[Jake] He's not going to give Des up unless we break into the custom way station and steal his crates.

[Mal] How do we know which crates he wants?

[Jody] Well, I should be able to help with that. I, uh, I got the tracking numbers.

[Rose] Oh, okay. I'll see what I can do.

[Mal] Can you tell us anything else about Harris?

[Jody] Well, uh... I, uh, I know a place where he squats.

[Jake] Well let's go!

[Rose] Mal? Bring him back, okay?

(Phone ringing)

[Mal] What do you want?

[Leslie] Sorry, Malachy? It's Leslie. Sergeant Leslie Bennett? Who'd you think I was?

[Mal] Sorry. How can I... What can I do for you, Sergeant?

[Leslie] I was hoping you could come and see me. As soon as possible would be great.

[Mal] This couldn't be worse timing. Can it wait?

[Leslie] I don't know how to put this to you any more clearly, this is not a request.

[Mal] Oh. Alright. I'm on my way.

[Mal] Something's come up. I've got to run out and take care of it. Tell Jake I'll meet up with him.

[Jake] Hello?

(Door creaking)

[Jake] Well this looks like Harris', uh, hide-out.

[Jody] Uh, Jake, do you mind if I ask you something, a few things?

[Jake] Yes, I do.

[Jody] What are some of Des'

favourite books?

[Jake] You really think this is a good time to be asking me questions about Des?

[Jody] Does he still like food?

[Jake] What?

[Jody] Skateboards and computers were a passion for Des. Is it still so?

[Jake] I don't know.

[Jody] Does he have a girlfriend? Does he still sleep upside down... In the bed, I mean?

[Jake] Jody... Why are you asking me all this?

[Jody] Well, Des never wants to tell me anything about himself. All he ever talks about is you.

[Jake] Really?

[Jake] Well obviously Harris isn't here.

[Des] Jake! Help!

(Tires screeching)

[Jody] What now?

[Tinny] Well, if he hadn't handcuffed me he wouldn't be missing now, would he?

[Rose] Okay, well there's no way for us to tell that now.

[Tinny] Rose, we need to find him so I can make him pay for that little stunt.

[Rose] Tinny. Okay, I know you're worried. Just stick to the plan, alright? Here we go.

(Ding)

[Employee] May I help you?

[Rose] Yes, um, I was hoping to send this package to my family in Cambridge. It's-- it's very important. It's urgent.

[Employee] We don't send packages. It's a highly secure government facility, not a post office.

[Rose] What? No. I-- I was sent here by a very reliable source, okay? I would like to speak to your manager and I'm not leaving until I do.

[Rose] (Typing)

[Tinny] Hurry up. I think I hear them coming.

[Rose] Almost done.

[Rose] Wow. Hey! Sorry. You know what? You were right. Um, I must have confused waybill with way station.

[Tinny] Ha!

[Rose] Yeah. Oh gosh, you know what? I'm going to have to make a million calls if I'm gonna get this bottled moose to Cambridge by Wednesday. Thank you so much for your time.

[Rose] Hey, it's done. I'll text you the information. You sure this is going to work?

[Jake] Yeah, well hopefully we won't need it.

[Rose] Okay, any luck with Des?

[Jake] Not yet, but don't worry. We're gonna find him.

[Jody] The clock's ticking. In most kidnapping cases not involving a ransom, the victim is k*lled the first three hours, Jake. Three hours!

[Jake] Okay, I know! Relax. Alright? There's no sign of the SUV. Obviously Harris is gone.

[Jody] I never should have tried to reconnect with my son. What are we gonna do? Harris will k*ll Des if we don't give him what he wants.

[Jake] It's time for plan B. We gotta break into that customs warehouse.

♪Yeeah♪

[Jake] Nice job, by the way, disabling those security cameras.

[Jody] Oh, hey, thanks a lot.

[Jake] Just, can you hurry this up please?

[Jody] Now Jake, just-- I'm going as fast as I can. Des said you were the impatient type.

[Jake] He said what now?

[Jody] Oh well, he just casually pointed out that you have issues with, uh, not getting exactly what you want, exactly when you want it, you know? It's just something for you to work on. I can, uh... (Lock beeping)

[Jody] I can help you meditate on that if you'd like.

[Jake] I'm good, thanks. So this, uh, this is what sent you to prison, huh?

[Jody] Well, not so much the breaking in. More for what I stole once I got in there.

[Jake] Just make sure you do it right this time, alright?

[Jody] Oh, I-- I set that last one off on purpose.

[Jake] You rigged it?

[Jody] Yeah. Oh, I just-- I figured if the cops arrested us, at least Harris would get put away, and, uh, he'd never get to Des.

[Jake] Even if that meant you going to jail yourself?

[Jody] Uh, freedom is a lot more important than family, Jake.

[Jake] Wha-- Sorry?

[Jody] I mean-- No, no, wait. Uh, family, much more important than freedom. Family.

[Jake] Come on.

(Beep)

(Door opening)

[Jake] Alright, now you stay here, okay, and I'll go inside.

[Jody] No, no. This is for Des. I'm going in.

[Jake] If you get caught, you're definitely going back to jail.

[Jody] I'm going in.

[Jake] (Sigh) Fine. Let's do this.

(Door opening)

[Mal] I thought you forgot about me.

[Leslie] Do you recognize this woman?

[Mal] Uh, sorry. Some of these security cameras are not worth the money you pay for them.

[Leslie] Looks a lot like Sonja Sterling. She was a rookie when you were on the force. You, Reese and her were pretty tight.

[Mal] Haven't heard from Sonja in years. Last I heard, she was living in Boston.

[Leslie] What was Sonja meeting with Reese about?

[Mal] Gonna have to ask her that.

[Leslie] We will when we find her. Listen, Mal, we know Reese called you last, and now I see that your trainee was meeting with him.

[Mal] Leslie... Sergeant Bennett, what is it you think I'm guilty of here? m*rder? Conspiracy? What?

[Leslie] I don't know Malachy. You tell me.

[Jody] You see, every a-2157 alarm system is different--

[jake] Shh! I don't care!

[Jody] ...Depending on the network connection, you can either get it to boot up in four or five minutes, or it can take as much as 20. So-- I don't care.

[Jody] What you do is you take an-- an average of those numbers and then you divide that into the amount of time--

[Jake] Jody. Let's just find this thing and get the hell out of here. Hold on. It's a text from rose. Okay. She's located the crates.

[Jody] Oh my-- They're somewhere in the southwest end of this building.

[Jody] God, look at technol-- I've missed so much.

[Jody] You know what? Wow. You have got to learn to release your stress in a-- in a more positive atmosphere, man.

[Jake] Shut up. Okay, look, let's hurry up and get the hell out of here. You search down there and I'll search that way, separate.

[Jody] Fine.

[Jake] Oh for--

[Jody] Sorry!

[Jake] Would you just watch yourself?

[Jody] Sorry!

[Jake] Where'd he go?

(Sigh)

[Jake] Do you hear that?

[Jody] What?

[Jake] Shh! Someone's coming.

(Footsteps)

[Jake] That was close.

[Jody] Hey!

[Jake] Shh!

[Jody] I think I found it.

[Jody] Come here.

[Jake] What are you doing?

[Jody] (Laughing)

Wild or what, huh?

[Jake] Shh. That's it.

[Jody] That alarm's gonna reboot any minute.

[Jake] Alright, well just keep your voice down. Let's get out of here.

[Jody] Alright.

(Alarm)

[Jake] Come on!

(Alarm)

(Thud)

[Mal] More tough love.

[Leslie] No Malachy, you're free to go. Listen to me. If there's something going on here, you gotta tell me now, before it's too late for me to help you.

[Mal] Don't worry about me. I can look after myself.

[Jody] Where is Harris? What's taking him so long?

[Harris] Open it.

[Jake] Alright, b'y, alright. Why don't you just, uh, let Des go first? Okay?

[Harris] You heard me.

[Des] Ow, why-- Jake, just open it. You heard him, b'y.

[Jake] Fine. I'm opening it.

(Wood creaking)

[Harris] Open the one inside.

[Jake] Yes b'y.

[Harris] Good. Now pass me the diamonds.

[Jake] These diamonds?

(Crash!)

[Des] Dad! Dad! Dad! Dad!

[Jake] (Thud)

Ah!

[Jody] Go after my son!

[Jake] (Grumble)

[Jake] Stop!

(g*n sh*t)

(Sirens approaching)

(g*n cocking)

(Police sirens)

[Jody] I might not be worth it, but my son is.

♪Oh yeah♪

[Leslie] We can cut Jody a bit of a deal given the circumstances, but he will be going back to prison.

[Jake] Well Des is not gonna like that. Although I think this whole experience has brought the two of them even closer together, so that's good.

[Leslie] Listen, I have to ask you. When was the last time your father talked to Reese?

[Jake] Reese? What are you talking about? Ask dad yourself.

[Leslie] Well I already asked him everything I needed to when I had him in for questioning.

[Jake] Whoa, whoa, whoa. You had my father in here for questioning? Why?

[Leslie] You're gonna have to ask him that.

[Jake] Well I'm asking you!

[Leslie] I'm following a lead, okay? And Mal isn't exactly being forthcoming. That's all I'm gonna say.

[Jake] Right, well... If I find anything out, I'll let you know.

[Leslie] Good.

(Phone ringing)

[Jake] Yeah?

[Rose] Everything go okay?

[Tinny] Where's Des?

[Jake] He's fine. And I want you to know you all did great work.

[Rose] Oh, what a relief. Now what about Jody?

[Jake] Looks like he's gonna have to head back to prison for a while, but... it's fine. Listen, I gotta go.

[Jake] Hey!

[Jake] Hey.

[Mal] Father and son reunited. Not a bad day's work.

(Phone chiming)

[Jake] What the hell is Leslie questioning you about Reese's m*rder for?

[Mal] He was an old friend. Thought I might know something. I don't. End of story.

[Des] How's the face?

[Jody] Fine. How's the knee?

[Des] It'll live.

[Jody] (Laugh) I'm a total klutz.

[Des] Oh my God. Me too. I once fell off a bench from the sitting position. Actually, it happens... Really often.

[Jody] It happens to me all the time!

[Des] Cool.

[Jody/des] (Laughing)

[Jody] Des, listen. I-- I am so sorry for dragging you into my mess.

[Des] It's not your fault. And I know that it's totally good.

[Jody] I guess I'll be going back inside for a while.

[Des] It's no problem. I know the routine. And I'm fully grown now, so you won't be missing any milestones.

[Jody] (Laughs)

You're a great kid. I just wish I'd had something to do with it, you know?

[Des] No, you're a good guy. And you have lots of time to make it up to me. I'll make a list.

[Jody] The Doyle's, they're a good bunch. You should stick close to them.

[Des] Oh, they're awesome. Dad, I'm glad. I'm really glad that I have you.

(Bar chatter)

[George] Interesting choice for our little meeting. Good scotch though.

[Kathleen] Yeah, well I wanted as many people around as possible.

[Kathleen] Here.

[Kathleen] Tell me we're good.

[George] We're golden, doll.

[Kathleen] So you're heading back west, and I'm never going to see you again, right?

[George] You know what? I kind of like it here. This town's got lots of potential. You know, this George Street place has more bars--

Hey! We have a deal.

[George] Well maybe I'm changing our little deal, Kathleen.

[Jake] Uh...

[Kathleen] Hey.

[Jake] Who are you?

[Kathleen] This is George. He's uh... He's a friend from back out west. This is my brother, Jake.

[George] Oh, second date, I'm already meeting the brother, huh?

[Walter] Second date? Wow. Didn't, uh, waste any time, did you?

[Kathleen] Hey, come on. We gotta go. Got, uh, dinner reservations.

[George] See you around.

[Kathleen] Okay.

[Walter] Ha. Well, I am an idiot.

[Jake] Oh, you're not an idiot. She's just not right for you, buddy. Listen, uh, you haven't seen my father around lately have you?

[Walter] Uh, nope. No. I'm not gonna be seeing anyone, uh, pretty soon. Uh, could I have two pints, please. What are you having?

[Jake] (Sigh)

(Door shutting)

(Door creaking)

(g*n cocking)

[Sonja] (Sniffling)

[Sonja] Good to see you.

(Crying)