06x04 - Red Listed

Complete collection of episode transcripts for seasons 1 - 7. Aired: September 2008 to February 2015.*

Moderator: Maggiemay19

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

A famous "psychic" outs himself as a fake and starts working as a consultant for the California Bureau of Investigation so he can find "Red John," the madman who k*lled his wife and daughter.

06x04 - Red Listed

Post by bunniefuu »

06x04 - Red Listed
Author: bunniefuu [ 10/22/13 00:23 ]
Updated: MaggieMay19 [14th July 2022]

VO: Previously on "The Mentalist"...

[Excerpts from previous episodes]

JANE: Who's that?

KIRKLAND: Bob Kirkland, Homeland Security.

JANE: Do I know you?

KIRKLAND: No, but I know you.

KIRKLAND: Get me everything.

KIRKLAND: Jane made a lot of Red John connections here. This is good.

LISBON: Why is this a Homeland Security issue?

KIRKLAND: It's complicated.

ACT 1

[Exterior. A crime scene is taped off. LISBON and JANE approach the tape]

LISBON: Agent Lisbon, Jane, CBI.

FBI AGENT: Sorry. FBI personnel only.

JANE: Uh, we don't want to be here, either, but we were invited.

LISBON: Uh, could you tell Agent Reede Smith that we're here as requested?

LISBON: What do you think Smith wants?

JANE: I don't know. What do you think?

LISBON: Every time we go to see one of these Red John suspects, I get edgy.

JANE: Really? Can't tell.

LISBON: Really? Oh.

SMITH: Jane, Lisbon. Thanks for coming.

JANE: Miss this? Who could say no?

LISBON: How can we be of help, Agent Smith?

SMITH: We caught a body. I thought it might interest you.

JANE: And why would you say that?

SMITH: You tell me.

JANE: [Inhales sharply. The face is badly d*sfigured but JANE sees distinctive cufflinks] This is Benjamin Marx.

SMITH: The guy you buried alive.

JANE: Excuse me. The k*ller I buried alive. And I did let him out— eventually.

SMITH: Not bad. That's a tough I.D., considering most of his face is burnt off. What do you think happened to him?

JANE: You're the FBI. I-I'm sure you have the answers already.

SMITH: Okay. Tell me what I've come up with.

JANE: Well, the first thing you'd notice is that he was tortured— with fire and whatever it is people use to cut someone's thumbs off.

SMITH: And what do I think he was tortured for?

JANE: Well, your guess would be sadistic pleasure, but you'd be wrong. More likely he was tortured for information— information that he didn't have.

SMITH: How do you know he didn't have it?

JANE: Because if he had it, the k*ller would only have had to burn off half his face.

SMITH: What else do I think?

JANE: Well, whoever did the torturing took their time, so you would reason that they had somewhere private to do it.

SMITH: Right.

JANE: And I'm sure you saw the, uh, sticky stuff on the leg of the victim, probably sent it off to the lab. (Sniffs) And in three days they'll tell you that it's pine sap, which makes sense, because there's a broken pine needle wedged into the sole of his shoe.

SMITH: Yeah, I see.

JANE: Eventually you'd come to the conclusion that he was kept in the woods someplace before he was k*lled and dumped here.

SMITH: Nice.

LISBON: Uh, why are we here, Agent Smith?

SMITH: Marx was out on bail while he stood trial. Things were looking good for him, too. I mean, you tortured him into a confession, so a little good lawyering, a little luck, and he could walk. Bet that really chapped your hide, huh, Jane?

JANE: Not at all.

LISBON: That's the best theory the FBI can come up with? That Jane k*lled Benjamin Marx and b*rned his face off?

SMITH: We're exploring every angle. He's an angle.

JANE: Listen. If I wanted to k*ll Benjamin Marx, I would have done it the first time. He was a sociopath that stole from widows and orphans, and he got what he deserved. But I didn't do it.

SMITH: We'll see.

JANE: Yes, we will.

SMITH: Thanks for coming.

[JANE and LISBON walk back to their car.]

LISBON: What's going on, Jane?

JANE: Nothing.

LISBON: Tell me.

JANE: I said it's nothing.

LISBON: It's never nothing with you. Do you think Smith is Red John?

JANE: Possibly.

LISBON: Well, if he isn't Red John, he's an idiot for thinking you could have anything to do with Marx's death.

JANE: He's not completely wrong. I mean, I-I didn't k*ll Benjamin Marx, but I might have gotten him k*lled.

♪ The Mentalist 6x04 ♪
Red Listed
Original Air Date on October 20, 2013

LISBON: Okay, no more secrets. Spill it now.

JANE: I was concerned with security when I was working my list of Red John suspects.

LISBON: Obsessively secretive.

JANE: Yeah, well, you say "tomato" but I knew there were people that needed that information. So I planted what you would call misinformation on my crime board.

LISBON: So whoever saw your crime board got the list of the seven Red John suspects.

JANE: But they would be the wrong suspects.Exactly. And it worked. Someone broke into my office.

LISBON: How do you know?

JANE: Well, I set a trap, and it was sprung. Now this person has a fake list of Red John suspects, and Benjamin Marx was on that list.

LISBON: So somebody is torturing and k*lling the people on your fake list.

JANE: Whoa, whoa. N-not necessarily. Someone tortured and k*lled one person from my list. But theoretically, his death could be about anything. He wasn't a nice man.

[Interior: the CBI office, walking towards JANE's locked-up attic room]

LISBON: I am trying to wrap my mind around this. You put the lives of seven innocent people in danger.

JANE: No. None of them are innocent. Marx defrauded hundreds of people... Then he brutally m*rder*d someone to cover it up. I assure you, Lisbon... [JANE opens the sliding door then locks it behind them after they enter the attic] All of these men are very bad. They just don't happen to be Red John. (Lock clicks)

LISBON: Do you think the real Red John could have broken in here and k*lled Marx?

JANE: Well, Red John is the only person besides us that knows the real list of suspects, so he is the only person that has no motive to do this.

LISBON: Then who broke in here?

JANE: I don't know. Someone with easy access, a lot of resources and power.

LISBON: The FBI. They've been wanting to get their hands on the Red John case for a while. They were not happy when Homeland Security took over.

JANE: True. You know, I've always suspected the FBI are watching me. Personally.

LISBON: As paranoid as it sounds, it would explain how they got the Marx case. But why would they do this to him? And how do we proceed? I can't just go to the FBI and ask them if they k*lled Marx.

JANE: If the FBI has been watching me, I'll bet that someone very high up in the CBI authorized it, or at least went along with it. I need to talk to them.

LISBON: Bertram. But you obviously can't ask him.

JANE: Madeleine Hightower then.

LISBON: Hightower? She hasn't run the CBI in three years. What kind of information do you think she still has access to? And if so, why would she share it with you?

JANE: Well, Red John tried to k*ll her. She's gonna want to help me.

LISBON: Unless she blames you.

JANE: Eh. I'm gonna call her.

LISBON: Fine.

JANE: Oh. What do you have planned for the day? You don't officially have a case, do you? You can relax. Get a massage, mani/pedi.

LISBON: No. I have to go and offer protection to the six people on your list, which you are going to give me.

JANE: I was hoping you'd opt for the massage.

[Interior: RIGSBY and VAN PELT's home. VAN PELT is in bed, RIGSBY closes the bedroom door behind him ]

RIGSBY: Oh, I can't believe it. Finally got him back to sleep.

VAN PELT: Good job, Mr. Rigsby. And we don't have to leave for work for another hour. What are we gonna do to pass the time?

RIGSBY: Well, I don't know, Mrs. Rigsby.

[They barely start kissing when VAN PELT's phone starts buzzing]

RIGSBY: Oh... don't.

VAN PELT Oh... [Checks phone and declines call] It's Lisbon.

RIGSBY: She can wait 10 minutes. Mmm.

[They resume kissing and RIGSBY's phone now starts buzzing. Both groan. RIGSBY checks who is calling]

RIGSBY: Lisbon.

VAN PELT: It must be important. You should get it.

RIGSBY [Answers phone]: Morning, boss.

[Interior: the CBI bullpen. Images of the fake suspects are pinned to a board.]

LISBON: You and Rigsby take these four. I'll take Haibach and Lee.

VAN PELT: Isn't Haibach the guy from the Panzer case with all the photos of the little girls?

LISBON: Yeah. I've dealt with him once before, so maybe he'll be more likely to come with me.

CHO: r*pe charges, drug charges, human trafficking charges.

RIGSBY: Really? We're gonna help these guys?

LISBON: That's the job. We don't get to pick and choose. We need to warn these men that their lives are in danger and offer them protection. Now get on it.

[Exterior: we see RIGSBY and CHO approach the gate of a house from across a swimming pool.]

RIGSBY: And I was watching her brush her teeth this morning, and she does the full two minutes, just like the dentist says. The wrong person, that could be really annoying, but today I just thought, cool. I'm gonna be spending the rest of my life with those really good teeth, you know?

CHO: Nope.

RIGSBY: M-my point is, marriage is even better than I thought. Except... W-well... It's not a big deal. It's only been three days. It's sort of funny, really. W-we haven't done it yet. As a married couple.

CHO: What about at the hotel? After the wedding. I got you that carriage.

RIGSBY: Yeah, we passed out. It was a very emotionally draining day. Plus we drank too much.

CHO: Right.

RIGSBY: Then we had to work the next day. And since then, Sara's at a conference in L.A., so we've had Ben every day, morning and night.

CHO: You know, I read a study on the Internet. It said women lose interest in sex almost immediately after marriage. It's Darwinian.

RIGSBY: Nah, not Grace. She's always been super into... M-my point is, I don't believe it. It's not true.

CHO: I'm just telling you what the Internet said.

CHO: Rick Dort? CBI. Open up.

RIGSBY: Anyone can say anything on the Internet. Doesn't mean it's true.

DORT [Opens door]: Yeah?

RIGSBY: Mr. Dort? Agents Rigsby and Cho from the CBI. We want to talk to you about—

[DORT, who is bigger and heavier than RIGSBY, pushes first CHO then RIGSBY away, pushes and runs down the stairs towards the pool. RIGSBY leaps over the handrail and both fall into the pool. CHO draws his g*n, walks around the pool, aiming at DORT]

CHO: Hands in the air, or I'll sh**t you in the head.
DORT: Hey, man, don't sh**t.

RIGSBY [indistinct - he is still in the pool]: We have reason to believe your life's in danger. We came to offer police protection.

DORT: What?

Your life is in danger.

DORT: It is? You're not here about the meth... other thing?

CHO: The meh... other thing?

DORT: There is no other thing. Slip of the tongue.

CHO: Get out of the pool.

[Interior: the CBI office kitchen]

JANE: Hey, Grace. You look a little piqued.

VAN PELT: I found out why you haven't been able to get in touch with Hightower.

JANE: What is it? Tell me.

VAN PELT: I spoke to her aunt, and she said Hightower and the kids had an accident. They're dead.

JANE: What? When?

VAN PELT: Two weeks ago on vacation in Mexico. They drowned.

JANE: How come we didn't hear about it sooner?

VAN PELT: It's very strange. Apparently, they never found the bodies, and authorities have called off the search and rescue.

JANE: Hmm. Wh-what did you say her aunt's name was?

VAN PELT: Ruby. Ruby Hightower.

JANE: Yeah, well, I-I'm gonna need an address. I need to send her some flowers. That's terrible.

[Exterior: at this morning's crime scene. SMITH is on his phone]

KIRKLAND (VO): This is Bob Kirkland.

SMITH: Kirkland. This is Agent Reede Smith, FBI.

KIRKLAND [We see KIRKLAND in some woods walking from a dilapidated building towards his car]: What can I do for you, Smith?

SMITH: I think it's what I can do for you. My superiors asked that I fill you in on a case I'm working. It involves Patrick Jane.

KIRKLAND: I'm listening.

SMITH: It's a m*rder/kidnapping thing. Vic's a guy named Benjamin Marx. Jane dealt with him before. Used some... shall we say, over-the-top techniques to get Marx to confess?

KIRKLAND: That sounds about right.

SMITH: Marx was on trial, could have gone free. Frankly, I like Jane for it. He's got a vigilante beef with Red John. Maybe this is his thing.

KIRKLAND: I think you might be on to something. Nice work.

SMITH: Thanks.

KIRKLAND: And, Smith? Keep me in the loop.

SMITH: Yes, sir.

[Exterior: JANE, holding some flowers, approaches a suburban house and rings the doorbell]

RUBY: Yes?

JANE: Mrs. Hightower? I'm so sorry for your loss. I used to work with your niece Madeleine, and, uh, well, I was hoping that maybe we could talk. These are for you.

RUBY: Oh, please come in. Thank you. They're very nice.

[Interior: RUBY's sitting room. JANE has a cup of tea on the coffee table in front of him]

JANE: When was the last time you saw your niece?

RUBY: A few weeks ago, right before they went on vacation. They made a point to come and see me. At least I got a chance to say good-bye.

JANE: Yeah, well, there— there's that. (Inhales and exhales sharply)

RUBY: What is it?

JANE: Oh, it's just, uh... (Inhales and exhales) I just wish that there was some way I could... (Sighs) Let her know how I feel.

RUBY: There is. My neighbor is very good with the computer. He set up a private memorial site on the Internet just for friends and family.

JANE: I'd love to see that.

[In another room, RUBY sits at her computer]

RUBY: Okay, here you go.

JANE: Oh, d-do you mind? I'm not very good with computers.

RUBY: Sure. Just say what you need to say.

JANE: Write this. In death... you have found new life... And I want to shout it from the mountaintops. (Continues typing) (Voice breaking) I know in my heart, dearest Madeleine... That when sunset comes, I will find you waiting for me... (Typing continues) in the heavenly gardens. Love, Patrick.

RUBY: (Sighs) Oh... that was, um... that's lovely. (Hits key) Very poetical.

JANE: Thank you. Feels a lot better. I should—I should go.

RUBY: Oh, you poor lamb. You were a little sweet on her, weren't you?

[Exterior: LISBON drives up and parks, caption reads Richard HAIBACH's house, Sacramento, California. Inside, a music box plays while HAIBACH fusses around a little girl's empty bedroom.]

(Knock on door)

[When HAIBACH leaves the bedroom, we see the door is concealed behind a hinged two-foot-thick false panel, which muffles all sounds coming from the room. There are more knocks on the house door. HAIBACH finally opens it]

HAIBACH: No. I remember you. Talk to my lawyer.

LISBON: Mr. Haibach. (Sighs) It's not what you think. Just hear me out.

HAIBACH: I think you've wanted to pin something on me for a long time. I won't be your patsy, Ms. Lisbon.

LISBON: It's Agent Lisbon. And we have reason to believe that your life is in danger. I am here to offer you police protection.

HAIBACH: So if I go with you, nothing bad will happen to me? Sounds like police state trickery, Agent Lisbon. The Stasi would be proud.

LISBON: I am legally and morally bound to inform you that—

HAIBACH: Please don't try to stake out the moral high ground here. If you had your way, I'd be in jail for a crime I didn't commit. I think I'll take my chances.

LISBON [Returning to her car, on phone]: How's it going, Jane?

JANE [Also on phone. Both are getting into their respective cars]: I just visited with Hightower's aunt.

LISBON: That's so sad. Did you find anything out? I mean, do you think Red John had anything to do with it.

JANE: I don't think so. Not his M.O.

LISBON: So you think it's just an accident?

JANE: Looks like it. How's the roundup going?

LISBON: Haibach wouldn't come with me. I think he's hiding something.

JANE: Well, a guy like that probably takes issue with lady police. Ladies in general.

LISBON: Uh, you're right. You know what? I'll send Cho and Rigsby.

JANE: Or not. Would the world really miss him if something happened?

LISBON: And that's the difference between you and me. And good-bye.

[Exterior: the window of a house. When there is another knock on the door we see an annoyed HAIBACH look out, then answer his front door]

HAIBACH: If you are from CBI, I'm—

[An unseen assailant with gloved hands uses a tazer on HAIBACH. He falls, hitting his head on a piece of furniture.The gloved hands drag him away, leaving a spilled beer bottle and a bloody drag trail across the floor]

ACT 2

[Exterior: a car drives up to HAIBACH's house. LISBON and JANE get out, meeting CHO on HAIBACH's porch ]

LISBON: What happened?

CHO: We found the door open, bl*od and beer bottle on the floor. No Haibach. Rigsby's canvassing the neighbors.

LISBON: This is bad.

JANE: Not really. Confirms the theory that someone is going through my list trying to find Red John.

LISBON: Haibach has been abducted, and he's probably gonna be tortured to death.

JANE: Yeah, he's in for a rough night.

LISBON: And we have to tell Smith and the FBI. That he's been taken and that it's connected to the Marx case.

JANE: No, we don't.

LISBON: We can't lie.

JANE: We do it all the time.

LISBON: He's gonna put it together eventually, and it'll be worse.

JANE: Okay, fine. Tell him. But do not mention the list. Just tell him that someone else connected to an old case of ours has gone missing.

LISBON: Agreed. What do we do now?

JANE: I will have the answer for that very soon.

[Exterior: KIRKLAND is sitting on a park bench. SMITH approaches and joins him]

KIRKLAND: I have black, milk... and milk and sugar. I'll take whatever you don't want.

SMITH: You always this thorough?

KIRKLAND: I like to cover all my bases.

SMITH: (Chuckles) Milk and sugar. Thanks.

KIRKLAND: So you said you got something for me?

SMITH: (Clears throat) There's been an interesting development in that case I was telling you about. Looks like another man's gone missing that's connected with Jane. A, uh, Richard Haibach.

KIRKLAND: That is interesting. Thank you.

SMITH: Look, it's none of my business, but, uh... Can I ask what the deal is with you and Jane?

KIRKLAND: Long story.

SMITH: Whatever. I'm not looking to pry.

KIRKLAND: I like that. I've done some research on you.

SMITH: On me?

KIRKLAND: Yeah. You're a good agent. Real straight sh**ter.

SMITH: Why would you research me?

KIRKLAND: I have some other business I want to discuss with you. Delicate business.

SMITH: Okay. sh**t.

KIRKLAND: Tiger tiger.

SMITH: Huh?

KIRKLAND: Tiger tiger.

SMITH: What, are you messing with me? What—what is that? "Tiger tiger"?

KIRKLAND: You really don't know?

SMITH: Know what?

KIRKLAND: Nothing. That's a test.

SMITH: Okay. I'm totally in the dark here. You want to fill me in? (Exhales)

KIRKLAND: While investigating Red John, Homeland Security's begun to suspect the existence of a powerful secret organization within California law enforcement. Police, CBI, D.O.J. Strictly high-level, we think.

SMITH: What do they do?

KIRKLAND: They do dirt. They protect each other with major cover-ups, get away with m*rder.

SMITH: What's the tiger thing?

KIRKLAND: We think that's the password.

SMITH: Spooky. Is Red John a member?

KIRKLAND: It's too soon to tell.

SMITH: What about Jane?

KIRKLAND: We're just starting to put this thing together. We're looking for partners within the FBI. Lower level guys that... we're sure we can trust.

SMITH: That's me. Happy to help.

KIRKLAND: Thank you. I'll be in touch.

SMITH: Thanks for the coffee.

[Night. At the Heavenly Gardens Chinese restaurant, JANE is alone at a table drinking tea.]

HIGHTOWER: Hello, Patrick.

JANE: Madeleine. Thank you for coming. Tea?

HIGHTOWER: Yes, please. Just so we're clear, I have a g*n pointed under the table. And it's pointed at something important.

JANE: Fair enough. How are the kids?

HIGHTOWER: They're safe. That's all you need to know.

JANE: Your aunt is a delight. Wonderful actress.

HIGHTOWER: I had to do what was best for me and my kids. I knew that Red John was cleaning house after Lorelei Martins was k*lled. I did not want to be next.

JANE: No, I got it. He's already tried to k*ll you once. It's not something you ever really get over.

HIGHTOWER: So what's so damn important you had to bring me out of hiding?

JANE: I'm getting close to catching Red John, and I need your help.

HIGHTOWER: Unh-unh. I'm not putting my family in danger to help you. Besides, I've been out of law enforcement for three years. How can I help you? I don't know anything.

JANE: Really? Because I think you've been holding something back for a very long time. Yeah, there it is. I'm right. The FBI— they've been watching me, haven't they? Please, I wouldn't be here if it weren't important. Tell me.

HIGHTOWER: Well, I guess there's no reason not to tell you now. But obviously you did not hear this from me. When Minnelli was chief of the CBI, he struck a deal with FBI Director Schultz.

JANE: What did Schultz want?

HIGHTOWER: She wanted reports. On you. Minnelli provided them. When Minnelli retired, that became a part of my job. But the intel wasn't exactly going to the FBI. I found out that Schultz was passing it on to Homeland Security.

JANE: Bob Kirkland?

HIGHTOWER: Yes.

JANE: Why?

HIGHTOWER: He thought you were Red John.

JANE: Of course. How long have Homeland Security been watching me?

HIGHTOWER: Eight, nine years. I did what I thought was best at the time. Don't expect me to apologize.

JANE: No, no, I-I won't.

HIGHTOWER: Jane. You cannot tell anyone you saw me. Even Lisbon.

JANE: And I won't. I meant what I said. I'm gonna k*ll Red John, and you're gonna get your life back.

HIGHTOWER: I hope so. So what's next?

JANE: Well, I'm gonna go see Bob Kirkland.

[Interior: a corrugated iron barn. We see HAIBACH is tied up to a chair.]

KIRKLAND: What I'm looking for is an open and honest dialogue. 100% transparency.

HAIBACH: (Breathing nervously) I don't know what you want from me. I didn't do anything wrong.

KIRKLAND: Maybe not yet. But... that room in your basement. Come on. You are a depraved man. At minimum, a pedophile. But frankly, that's not why we're here.

HAIBACH: Why then? Please just tell me... Why.

KIRKLAND: I brought you here to ask you some questions. [KIRKLAND lights a blowtorch and holds it up. HAIBACH is visibly scared.]

HAIBACH: Anything. I'll—I'll tell you anything.

KIRKLAND: All right then. Tell me— do you recognize me? Have you seen me before?

HAIBACH: No... I don't think so.

KIRKLAND: Okay, we'll come back to that. Next question.

HAIBACH: What?

KIRKLAND: Are you Red John?

HAIBACH: Weakly) What? (Louder voice) What?

KIRKLAND [Getting slowly closer with the blowtorch]: Are you... Red John?

HAIBACH: (Panting) (Stammers) No...

KIRKLAND [Shouting]: Are you Red John?

HAIBACH: No!

ACT 3

[Exterior: caption reads Dept. of Homeland Security, Sacramento Regional Office. Inside, some people are waiting for the elevator. Jane approaches]

JANE: Agent Kirkland?

KIRKLAND: Hey... Jane, what are you doing here?

(Elevator bell dings)

JANE: Uh, can I have a quick word? It's nothing private. Your friends can stay.

KIRKLAND: I'll catch up, guys.

JANE: I have a pet theory I was hoping you could confirm or deny.

KIRKLAND: I'll see what I can do.

JANE: Has Homeland Security been investigating me?

KIRKLAND: Yes.

JANE: I'm surprised you're allowed to tell me that. I mean, you guys are usually so cloak and dagger.
KIRKLAND: Well, it's no secret that Homeland Security has the Red John case. Yeah, your name has come up in various ways.

JANE: Right. So then did you guys break into my office and steal my list of suspects?

KIRKLAND: Absolutely not.

JANE: No? Why not?

KIRKLAND: Because we don't care who you think Red John is. We have the case.

JANE: Point taken. Thanks for your time.

KIRKLAND: That's it?

JANE: Uh, yeah. I just wanted to make sure you weren't on a wild goose chase, because whoever it was that broke into my office, they stole a fake list of suspects.

KIRKLAND: Well played.

JANE: Thank you. I thought so.

KIRKLAND: Maybe you should come work for us.

JANE: Maybe not.

[Interior: Homeland Security underground car park. As JANE approaches his car, KIRKLAND drives up]

KIRKLAND: You need a ride somewhere?

JANE: No, I'm—I'm good, thanks.

KIRKLAND: Well, we should talk some more. Get in the car.

JANE: Do I have a choice?

KIRKLAND: No.

JANE: By all means... Let's talk some more.

KIRKLAND: Let me see your phone.

JANE: Hey, you don't have to do this. I actually want to talk to you.

KIRKLAND: Just hand me the phone. [KIRKLAND removes the SIM card] Seatbelt, please.

[Interior: CBI bullpen]

LISBON: (Clears throat) Hey, have you guys heard from Jane?

RIGSBY: Nope.

VAN PELT: I haven't seen him since yesterday morning.

LISBON: His phone just keeps on going straight to voicemail. Can you ping it for me?

VAN PELT: Sure. It'll take me a little while.

LISBON: Thanks. It's probably nothing.

[Exterior: the barn where KIRKLAND was torturing HAIBACH. KIRKLAND is holding a g*n on JANE as they approach it]

KIRKLAND: And here we are. Keep moving.

[They enter the barn]

JANE: Oh, I love what you've done with the place.

KIRKLAND: Come on, I'll give you the 10-cent tour.
[KIRKLAND opens a closet and HAIBACH is inside, still bound, his face b*rned and masking tape over his mouth, clearly in pain and terrified. KIRKLAND peels the tape off]

HAIBACH: Help me... please.

KIRKLAND: Richard Haibach, Patrick Jane.

HAIBACH: (Panting) Help me.

KIRKLAND: I just wanted you to see the face of the man who got you into this mess. It's a funny story, actually— a comedy of errors.

HAIBACH: Please let me go.

KIRKLAND: No.

HAIBACH: Please.

KIRKLAND [replacing the tape]: But don't worry. Jane'll get his, too.

[HAIBACH whimpers as the door slams shut. JANE looks alarmed]

KIRKLAND: So, let's talk about that real list of Red John suspects.

[Interior: LISBON'S office. VAN PELT enters]

VAN PELT: I couldn't get a hit on Jane's phone. Wherever he is, he has no cell service.

LISBON: Hmm. [Cell phone rings] That's probably him now. [VAN PELT leaves as LISBON answers phone] This is Lisbon.

HIGHTOWER (VO): Hello, Lisbon. Do you know who this is?

LISBON (Lowered voice): Yes. I thought you were dead.

HIGHTOWER [Calling forger car]: I met with Jane yesterday.

LISBON: (Normal voice) He didn't say.

HIGHTOWER: I asked him not to tell you, but I think I might have gotten him into trouble. I've been trying to call him all day.

LISBON: Me, too.

HIGHTOWER: I gave him some information yesterday. Did he say anything to you about who he was going to see?

LISBON: No. Should he have?

HIGHTOWER: Yes. We need to talk. I think I might have caused Jane to do something very dumb.

[Interior: KIRKLAND's barn. JANE is now tied to a chair]

JANE: Funny thing about the list. Uh, I'd... rather not share it with you.

KIRKLAND: I get it. It's been your pet project for a long time. Mine, too. But you will share it with me.

JANE: What if I just give you one name to start? (Breathes deeply) Robert Kirkland.

KIRKLAND: Interesting. Makes sense, actually. But it doesn't really help me with my cause, though, does it?

JANE: No, I suppose not. I was wrong about you. You're not Red John. You're hunting him, same as me.

KIRKLAND: Not exactly the same. I'm willing to k*ll seven people to get the job done.

JANE: Touché.

KIRKLAND: Why aren't you?

JANE: 'Cause that would make me a m*rderer.

KIRKLAND: You're planning on m*rdering Red John. That doesn't make any sense.

JANE: Okay, so we—we both have different approaches, but the important thing here is that we share a common goal. We can help each other if we work together.

KIRKLAND: I'm not interested in working together, and I doubt you are, either. We both want our revenge, and only one of us is going to get it.

[Exterior: HIGHTOWER is parked in her car, LISBON is in the passenger seat]

LISBON: Robert Kirkland. (Exhales) I know I should be surprised, but—

HIGHTOWER: but he's a creepy guy, that's why. Where would he take Jane?

LISBON: Probably the same place he took Benjamin Marx. Jane saw a pine needle in Marx's shoe. It was like he'd walked through a pine forest before he was k*lled.

HIGHTOWER: Lots of pine needles in Northern California.

LISBON: Kirkland would be keeping up appearances. He'd be going to the office every day, so... Pine forest within a hundred-mile radius of Sacramento?

HIGHTOWER: Sure, sure. If that's all we got.

[LISBON makes a phone call]

VAN PELT(VO): Hey, boss.

LISBON: Van Pelt, I need you to run something for me. Properties or businesses owned by Robert Kirkland within 100 miles of the capitol... In close proximity to a pine forest.

VAN PELT [Who is in the CBI bullpen]: Robert Kirkland?

LISBON: It's a long story.

VAN PELT: Nothing for Robert Kirkland within a hundred miles. (Typing)

LISBON: Ah, crap.

VAN PELT: But there's a Michael Kirkland. Owns a cabin up near El Dorado State Park.

LISBON: Oh, is he a relative?

VAN PELT: I don't know. I can check.

LISBON: All right, text me the address.

VAN PELT: Sure.

LISBON: We should call local authorities for backup.

HIGHTOWER: No. No. No cops. Nobody can know about me. Please.

LISBON: Okay. How do we do this?

HIGHTOWER [Switches on the car interior light and pulls back a blanket on the rear seat, revealing an arsenal or weapons]: That's how.

[Interior: KIRKLAND's barn]

KIRKLAND: Do you have siblings, Jane?

JANE: No.

KIRKLAND: I had a twin brother— Michael. We were very close growing up.

JANE: I hear that's a strong bond.

KIRKLAND: And our father was a sadistic drunk. He b*at the crap out of us and our mother. B*at her till she couldn't take it anymore.

JANE: She left?

KIRKLAND: With a razor blade. After that, it was just me and Michael. I was all he had.

JANE: You were the stronger one.

KIRKLAND: Yeah. Uh, I grew up. I got away. But Michael couldn't do it. (Inhales) He stayed at home and watched our father drink himself to death.

JANE: The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

KIRKLAND: You're right. Michael turned to the bottle, drank like his life depended on it. I paid for treatments. I took him to meetings. Nothing worked.

JANE: Until?

KIRKLAND: Until one day he met someone, a man who could help him.

JANE: More than a man. A savior.

KIRKLAND: Yeah. Red John. He only asked for a few simple things in return.

JANE: Devotion and sacrifice.

KIRKLAND: Michael drifted further and further away until one day he was gone. I never saw him again.

JANE: You think Red John k*lled your brother.

KIRKLAND: Yes. I never found him, but in my heart, I know. (Inhales and exhales) Look at me blab. I-I... you're not my therapist. I didn't bring you here to talk. Please tell me who the suspects are.

JANE: No.

KIRKLAND: (Sighs) Have it your way. [KIRKLAND picks up a pair of tin snips] You understand, I'm gonna have to t*rture you.

ACT 4

[Interior: KIRKLAND's barn]

KIRKLAND: You don't seem like someone who deals well with physical pain.

JANE: Uh, not particularly.

KIRKLAND: A name then.

JANE: I can't do it.

KIRKLAND: Fine.

[KIRKLAND walks to the closet, then uses the snips to remove HAIBACH's thumb. HAIBACH screams are muffled by the tape over his mouth. JANE can do nothing but watch, horrified]

JANE: Okay, okay, okay. [KIRKLAND slams the door on a sobbing HAIBACH and approaches JANE] You... you—you have to understand, this is hard for me... Emotionally. I've never said any of these names out loud to anyone.

KIRKLAND: A name.

JANE: Turtmee. First name—Don.

KIRKLAND: Don Turtmee? (Chuckles) "Don't hurt me". Ha. You got me. Why, I oughta...

[Door slams open]

LISBON: Put your hands in the air!

HIGHTOWER: Keep 'em where we can see 'em!

LISBON: Jane, you all right?

JANE: Oh, never better. I'm just fine. Dandy.

[LISBON handcuffs KIRKLAND, HIGHTOWER approaches JANE]

HIGHTOWER: Thanks to us. You were foolish to come here alone.

[HIGHTOWER uses the snips to cut the zip ties binding JANE to the chair]

JANE: You taking pleasure in this?

HIGHTOWER: Don't get me wrong. You are a pain in the ass.

JANE: Well, thank you.

HIGHTOWER: But I wouldn't want anything bad to happen to you, especially when it would be my fault.

JANE: Well, I'm sure your conscience is clear now.

HIGHTOWER: It is. Now leave me alone. Next time I hear from you, you better be telling me Red John is dead.

JANE: Deal. That is a deal. Thank you, Madeleine.
[JANE kisses HIGHTOWER on the cheek]

HIGHTOWER: You're welcome, Patrick. Good luck. Lisbon... You good here?

LISBON: Yeah.

HIGHTOWER: You can call for that backup now.

[Later, still at the barn, paramedics take HAIBACH away on a stretcher as JANE watches]

HAIBACH [to JANE]: Ahh! You'll pay for this! I won't forget! This is on you! Aah! Aah! Aah!

LISBON: You sure you're all right?

JANE: The list is down to five names. That is a very manageable number.

LISBON: Somehow that doesn't reassure me.

JANE: We're in the home stretch, Lisbon.

SMITH: Hey guys. So, uh, looks like I got it wrong about you.

LISBON: Yeah. Looks like you did.

JANE: Ah, it's all right. We all make mistakes.

SMITH: I mean, a... A Homeland Security agent? Who would have thought, right?

JANE: Not me.

SMITH: It's gonna be a jurisdictional cluster b*mb. But we'll book him first at county. In a few days he'll get transferred to a federal detention center.

JANE: I'd like to talk to him for a sec.

SMITH: Sure. Hey, Jane. No hard feelings, huh?

JANE: No. No hard feelings.

SMITH: Lisbon.

JANE [to KIRKLAND, with a lowered voice]: If you have anything else to say, now would be the time.

KIRKLAND: Oh, I might know some things. But this isn't the best place to talk. Come see me sometime.

JANE: I will.

KIRKLAND: Are you gonna finish this thing?

JANE: Yes.

[Interior, CBI bullpen. VAN PELT, wearing a fastened trenchcoat and red high heels with straps running up her calves, approaches RIGSBY. His back is turned]

VAN PELT: Hey.

RIGSBY [Not turning around from the paperwork he is examining]: Hey. Lisbon called. They're not coming back into the office tonight.

VAN PELT: Okay.

RIGSBY: You can probably go, too. (Sighs) There's nobody else here.

VAN PELT: Sure.

RIGSBY [Turning around]: Did you change?

VAN PELT: What, this old thing? [She pulls something from her coat pocket and holds it up] Wait. What's this?

RIGSBY: It looks like a hotel room key. Wait. You didn't, did you? [He grins]

VAN PELT: I did. The honeymoon suite. Mrs. Capello is watching Ben.

RIGSBY: That's amazing. Thank you. (Chuckles) You know, I was beginning to think—

VAN PELT: I know what you thought.

RIGSBY: And am I crazy?

VAN PELT: Yes. [She opens her trenchcoat to reveal she is just wearing lingerie underneath]You shouldn't think so much, Wayne.

RIGSBY: [Eagerly grabbing VAN PELT's hand and running to the elevator] Come on.

[RIGSBY and VAN PELT kiss in the back corner of the elevator. A JANITOR enters the elevator and they spring apart. He turns to face forwards and they both laugh]

JANITOR [As the elevator doors close]: Don't mind me.

[Exterior: a prison transfer van is driving along an empty road at night. Another vehicle approaches from behind, flashing it's headlights and honking it's horn. Inside KIRKLAND looks around as both vehicles stop. SMITH approaches the driver]

SMITH: Let me speak to him.

[SMITH opens the rear doors.

KIRKLAND: What's going on? What are you doing here?

SMITH: You hit the nail on the head, Bob.

KIRKLAND: About what?

SMITH: There is a powerful organization within law enforcement. But it's a lot bigger than you thought. It's not just the big boys, either. They even let lower level guys like me in.

KIRKLAND: I know what you're doing.

SMITH: We've had our eye on you for a long time. We just want to help. It's what we do.

KIRKLAND: Help me how?

SMITH: Listen to me closely. That's the address of a safe house. It's 2 miles due east of here. When you get there, someone will contact you, get you some money, I.D., clothes.

(Crumpling address)

KIRKLAND: I don't believe you.

SMITH: (Sighs) Come on, Bob. Get out of the van.
[KIRKLAND looks around the van, at the driver who is resolutely ignoring what is happening behind him, then he exits the van]

SMITH: Start running.

KIRKLAND: Just do it here.

SMITH: Actually, I'd prefer it if you ran. You know... protocol.

[KIRKLAND runs as best he can in prison shackles. SMITH walks to the front of the vehicle, takes the van driver's g*n and sh**ts the entire clip into KIRKLAND's back. KIRKLAND falls to the ground. SMITH returns the g*n to the driver's holster]

SMITH: Agent Kirkland tried to escape. You had no choice but to use deadly force. Do you understand?

DRIVER: Tiger tiger.

SMITH: Tiger tiger.