04x03 - In the Skin of a Lion

Complete collection of episode scripts from season 1-5. Aired October 2006 - February 2011.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

The trials and tribulations of small town Texas football players, their friends, family, and coaching staff.

04x03 - In the Skin of a Lion

Post by bunniefuu »

This is the address for Luke Cafferty.

Where does he really live?

East Dillon.

You're gonna have to pack up your stuff. Starting tomorrow, you're going to be going to school at East Dillon High.

What?

Kind of looking for a place.

I do have this trailer.

Cheryl: I am going to give my daughter a call.

Hey. Don't want you to scare her.

(stammering)

I'm your new intern.

Yeah, I got a bunch of crap in here. I need you to start moving it.

Why did you forfeit the game? You just quit on us?

I have got shame and I apologize to you.

Who wants to finish this fight?

Dallas: Let's do this, fellas! Let's finish it. Let's finish it.

( Park where the Lions are gathered around an old red car, Stan sits inside. )

Eric: Hey, listen! Ten of you are gonna push the car. Once we get out there and everything, the rest of you hold the helmets and collect the money. Understood? Be careful, don't get your feet run over while we're out there. Any questions?

t*nk: Matter of fact, I do have a question.

Eric: What is it Tinker?

Tinker: Why are we pushing this damn car?

Eric: One, you need to watch your language. Two, next time I see you I want whatever that is on your upper lip shaved off. And I tell you why we're pushing the car, cuz it's a fun football fundraiser. And we're all gonna have fun so we're all gonna put smiles on our faces right about now. Team comes out, town comes out, money gets exchanged. It's a good thing. Understood?

Tinker: Got it coach!

Eric: Let's be kind and courteous out there. Let's go.

( The team starts pushing the car out of the parking lot. )

Stan: (into his megaphone) Hello neighborhood! We're the Lions! (he roars) Let's hear it guys! (roars)

[EXT. Dillon Church]

( Tami and Julie exit the church, headed to the car. Tami is holding Gracie. )

Tami: Even at church, everyone is really not being nice to me about this whole Luke Cafferty thing?

Julie: Yeah, well, that's our congregation. All sweet and holy inside the church. Then as soon as they get out the door, bitchy and judgmental.

Tami: Well, welcome to the world, honey.

Julie: It's not gonna be my world.

Tami: What's not gonna be your world?

Julie: Going to church with a bunch of hypocrites.

( Tami starts to load Gracie into her car seat. )

Tami: Honey, hypocrites are everywhere. It has nothing to do with church. That's no way to think about it. There's always going to be some bad apples but church is about you and God and things other than just people..

Julie: So if it's just about me and God, why can't I just worship at home?

Tami: I mean, I think church is also about community and family and you know, there's just a lot to it.

[EXT. Streets of East Dillon]

( The team is pushing the car down the street while Stan yells out. )

Stan: We need your quarters, your dollar bills, your good wishes in monetary fashion! Let' hear it boys!

Tinker: (to Vince as they push the car) I feel the love. You feel the love?

Vince: Shut up, stop sweating on me and push this piece of junk, okay?

Stan: We got forty bucks, people! Thank you, good people of the street!

Eric: (to people donating money) Good to see 'ya! Thank you very much! Thank you very much!

Stan: We are the East Dillon Lions! Speed up! Speed up! Feed us! Roar!!!

( Tim walks up to Coach. )

Tim: I'm out.

Eric: What do you mean you're out?

Tim: I'm out of money.

Eric: What do you mean you're out of money?

Tim: I'm out of money.

( Eric pulls some cash from his pocket. )

Eric: (handing it to Tim) Listen to me. This is all I got left. That's about a hundred bucks. Don't give it all to one person.

Tim: Alright

Eric: Spread it out.

Tim: I'm trying, some are taking it.

Eric: Well, give it to people who won't take it.

Stan: Look at these boys pushing this car for ten miles!

[EXT. Richard Sherman's studio]

( Matt grabs a rusted tricycle and takes it into the studio where loud music is playing while Richard welds. )

Matt: Hey! Here's the tricycle.

Richard: What?

Matt: Tricycle!

( Richard stops working to look at it. )

Richard: That's great. Listen, I need you to drive me to Clearwater on Tuesday. I need to pick up some metal so I can finish this piece of crap.

Matt: Why do you call everything you work on 'crap'?

Richard: Because it is all crap. I call the Mona Lisa crap. In fact, the Mona Lisa is crap. There are better things I call crap.

Matt: Alright, well, Clearwater is like 200 miles away.

Richard: Just about.

Matt: Right. And I gotta shift I gotta do so I... I mean, I can't take the whole day and chauffer you up there.

Richard: Yeah, yeah, you're here to learn about art from an artist! You can't take a day off because you gotta a shift to deliver pizza?

( Matt has no comeback for this so Richard just gets back to work. )

[EXT. East Dillon High School]

( Eric is walking with the Principal Levi. )

Levi: We already have uniforms. Why do we need new ones?

Eric: Cuz I b*rned the uniforms.

Levi: Taylor---

Eric: I b*rned them. That's what you do. They're damn thirty years old. It's not like I just b*rned them for no reason. You end the old cycle, you start the new, Levi. You know, you get rid of the past.

Levi: Uh-huh.

Taylor: Fact of the matter is, the team and I we went out and we made up a good amount of money it's just that...

Levi: That's good.

Eric: We're just... we're just a little shy of what we need and all I'm asking is you and the school, is if you help us with the down payment. Hell, we can pay for the rest of them.

Levi: I don't think you understand the financial situation here. We ain't close to talking about more money for football.

Eric: Listen Levi, it's expensive to start up a new football program...

Levi: Starting up a new football program is a little premature. Let's see if we can finish up some games before we start writing some checks.

Eric: What the hell is that supposed to mean?

Levi: You can't finish games, I can't keep this program going. I can't have no students getting hurt. I don't want no jokes down at the school board meetings. I'm tired. Either you turn it around or we're gonna shut it down.

Eric: What do you mean shut it down? You're gonna shut down a football program?

Levi: Taylor! You weren't even supposed to take this job! You weren't supposed to be here. So you're the only who didn't get the joke. Okay?

( CREDITS )

[EXT. Tim Riggins' trailer]

( Becky is knocking. )

[INT. Tim Riggins trailer]

( Tim is crawling out of bed. )

Tim: Yes? Yeah!

[EXT. Tim Riggins' trailer]

Becky: Morning! I made you toast.

Tim: Are you serious?

Becky: Yeah. It's worth it, eat it.

Tim: What time is it?

Becky: Morning. Hey, and since you're up, can you give me a ride to school?

Tim: No.

Becky: Come on. Put some pants on.

( She starts to close the door. )

Becky: Watch your head. Watch your head.

( She closes the door. )

Becky: Hurry up! I'll be waiting in the truck.

Tim: What's wrong with you?

[INT. Taylor Kitchen]

( Tami is feeding Gracie Belle. )

Tami: Here you go, sweetheart. There. Here's your sippy.

Julie: Good morning!

Tami: Hey, Honey.

Jule: Good morning, Grace.

Tami: You know yesterday in church, all that stuff you were saying... Do you feel like we're making you go to church?

Julie: It's not like you're making me go to church it's just... you know, something we all do as a family. It's like a tradition but if you stop going than I don't think I'd probably keep going.

[INT. Restaurant with the West Dillon coach and boosters.]

Joe: Coach Taylor at half-time: We're done! We're b*at up! We can't play anymore!

( Laughter all around when Buddy enters the restaurant. )

Joe: I couldn't believe it!

Buddy: Hey, guys.

( It's quieter now. )

Booster: Hey, Buddy.

Buddy: Well, you're waiting on me. You're backing up.

Booster: We missed you at the game Friday night, Buddy.

( Buddy starts to sit down and Joe is just sitting there smiling like a Prince on his throne. )

Buddy: Yeah, I had to listen to it on the radio. I was really sick, it's terrible.

Joe: Anything you feel like sharing with us, Buddy? Anything about a certain mailbox or an old friend of yours named Eric Taylor?

Buddy: Oh, no. I don't think so. I don't know what you're implying. (all eyes focus on Buddy) I think this Luke deal has made everyone go a little crazy. (he twists his State Ring) You know, Joe, I was a Panther before everybody here. So, I'll just pretend you didn't say that. Go ahead with the agenda, Joe.

( Joe has *that smile* on his face. )

Joe: Alright then. Gentlemen, there is a 13-yr old quarterback in a Pop Warner League down in Little Tree that needs a closer look at. Who's gonna go down there for me?

[INT. East Dillon Locker Room]

( Team just hanging out. Vince is eyeing Luke as he chats with Landry. )

Player: Lions in the house. Let me hear you say, "Oh yeah!"

Vince: (to his friend, referring to Luke) What the hell that dude so happy about?

Player: I don't know what he happy about. I guess he think he gonna come down here and kick our asses or something.

Vince: Something.

Tinker: He's all, I'm a Panther.

Player: We the Lions.

Eric: Let's go, guys. Let's go! Let's go.

Stan: Come on boys! Execute!

( Vince lingers until Luke walks by. )

Vince: You're a long way from home boy.

Luke: I guess so.

[EXT. East Dillon Football Field]

( Practice. Tim is there helping out. )

Eric: Come on, get after him. Pick him up. Pick -- come on, Vince. What are you doing, man? You're dancing out here. Dancing. Don't start my day off like this. Why is it I'm always talking to you? I spend half my day, my practice, talking to you. Get in the front. Do it again. Get in the front. Let me see it. Luke come here. I want you down at the defensive backs.

Luke: I don't play D, coach.

Eric: If I tell you to get down to the defensive backs you do. Get on the defensive backs. Tim, you wanna take him down? If you'd like to hurry that up, that'd be just fine.

Tim: Riggins.

Luke: I knew that. It's a pleasure, man.

Eric: (focusing back on practice) Do it again. Let me see it again. Get after him! Move him! Come on, let me see some of the speed!

Tim: How you doing?

Luke: I mean, I'm alright 'cept I don't play DB.

Tim: It's alright.

Luke: What are you doing here? Coaching now?

Tim: I'm helping out when I can.

Luke: Nice.

Tim: Yeah.

Luke: I saw you win State.

( Luke raises his hand to either high-five Tim or maybe as a gesture to see Tim's ring. Either way, Tim ignores it. )

Tim: Yeah, here. You go DB it up.

Luke: Alright.

[EXT. Panther Pizza]

( Matt is exiting with his deliveries while Julie reads something to him. )

Julie: His last installment at the Austin Museum of Modern Art is nothing short of mind bending. A violent fusion of metal and artistry that invokes somehow both anger and beauty through a complex interplay of architecture and light. Brilliant, visceral, and ultimately, ethereal, this work is not to be missed.

Matt: Are you sure you got the right Richard Sherman?

( Julie opens up the hatchback to Matt's station wagon so he can load the pizza. )

Julie: Yup, it's him.

Matt: "Brilliant and ethereal"?

Julie: That's what it says.

Matt: The dude is like an angry, abusive idiot. I don't understand how he can get described as ethereal.

Julie: I don't know. Maybe it's his evil twin.

Matt: Yeah, maybe. Clearwater and back. This is going to be 400-miles of Hell.

[INT. East Dillon Locker Room]

( Coach is working on fixing the lights when a man enters. )

Man: Hey, coach.

Eric: Hey, Doug, how you doing?

Doug: I'm good.

( Eric finishes with the light. )

Doug: Nicely done.

Eric: How is everything?

Doug: Good. Good. The uniforms are look great, they're coming along, look beautiful. You're going to be real happy.

Eric: Look, I know... I know I'm late on payment and all this but...

Doug: Nah, look I know things are rough here right now. It's just we're gonna deliver on Friday.

Eric: I understand we've had a few little hiccups with our fundraising and uh...

Doug: Sure, sure. Well, look Coach. You've been a friend of Under Armor for a long while and that's why we're doing this at our cost and I'm gonna throw in some hats and polos for your staff cuz you helped me out when I was starting off, you know. So I won't forget that.

Eric: I appreciate that, I appreciate the...

Doug: But I'm gonna need a little something to, uh, take back to Baltimore.

Eric: I understand. How much? How much is it that you need - today?

Doug: Five.

Eric: Five thousand?

Doug: Alright, um, you give me three now and two more on delivery and we'll let it go at that.

Eric: Alright.

( Eric pulls out a personal check. )

Eric: Alright. That's good, thank you.

Doug: Yeah, absolutely.

( Eric writes out the personal check and hands it to Doug. )

Doug: Let me get that for you.

Eric: Listen, I appreciate that very much. I appreciate your understanding.

Doug: This, uh, a personal check, Coach?

Eric: Yes, it is.

Doug: This gonna be okay with you?

Eric: If it's okay with you, it's okay with me.

Doug: Oh, yeah. Alright. I'll get it going.

Eric: Thank you. Thank you very much.

Doug: Thank you.

( Doug leaves. )

Doug: Alrighty!

[INT. Coach and Mrs. Coach's bathroom]

( Tami is applying her make-up. )

Tami: Julie the other day was talking about how she doesn't want to go to church anymore. I think she's questioning her faith or something.

Eric: Well, you know what? She's a teenager. You give her a week and she'll turn around. Be a hundred and eighty degrees.

Tami: Yeah but who knows where she'll go from there.

Eric: Well, I don't think she's going to hell anytime soon so I don't think you have to worry about it. Listen, I gotta go meet with Buddy tonight. I'm gonna try and figure out how in the hell you're supposed to beg money from the Boosters.

Tami: Ugh, I hate that. Alright. Hey, listen, did you write a check and not put it in the book because there's a check missing.

Eric: Oh yeah, it's uh, for Reds. It's for the Dry Cleaners. It's for $45.

Tami: Honey...

( Eric starts to leave. )

Eric: Sorry.

Tami: You've got to put that stuff in the book.

Eric: I know.

Tami: I can't keep track.

[EXT. Richard Sherman's Studio]

( Matt drives up in his station wagon when Richard exits acting like he's been waiting all day. Matt starts to get out when Richard gets in. )

Matt: Well, I'm here.

Richard: Come on, let's go. We got 200 miles to cover.

Matt: We're taking my car? I hope you're paying for gas.

Richard: So I'm teaching you the meaning of life and I'm supposed to cover for gas, too?

Matt: Meaning of life, yeah.

Richard: Maybe I should get you a lunch and how about a damn souvenir?

Matt: I'm just saying this is a non-paying internship, okay.

Richard: Smells like old pizza in here, man.

Matt: Well, that's how I pay for gas. Glad you're masking it with cigarette smoke.

Richard: That's cool. That's cool.

[INT. Coach's Office]

Eric: Landry!

Landry: Yes, sir!

Eric: Come here.

( Landry walks in with his helmet put funnily on his face. )

Landry: Yeah, coach?

Eric: I want you on special teams today working on bunting.

Landry: Yeah. I'd love to catch some punts.

Eric: Good.

Landry: That's uh...

Eric: I don't want you catching. I want you punting.

Landry: You want me, like, um, kicking the ball? I don't know if I've ever...

Eric: Yeah, that's what you do when you punt the ball.

Landry: No, I, uh understand...

Eric: You work on it.

Landry: I know what it is.

Eric: Special teams punting. Can you do that for me?

Landry: Yes, sir. I just, I'm only...

Eric: I appreciate it.

Landry: Always considered myself kind of a...hands man.

Eric: I need a punter! So if you would consider hang times and coughing corners, I'd appreciate that. Thank you very much.

Landry: Yes, sir. I'll got start practicing right now. Thank you, Coach.

( Landry leaves and Eric rubs his head when Luke knocks. )

Eric: Yeah?

Luke: Coach, can I have a word please?

Eric: Yeah, sure. Come on in.

Luke: Coach, I think we got off on the wrong foot and I just wanted to clear everything out. I just want to say, I don't hold anything against you. Everything that happened between me and your wife over at Dillon. And I'm not here to give you a hard time. I'm here to play football.

Eric: Well, good. I'm glad. I'm glad.

Luke: Okay.

Eric: Cuz I don't think you should be holding it against me. As far as my wife is concerned, my wife wasn't the one who caused these problems for you. You caused these problems for yourself, isn't that about right? You were doing something knowingly wrong and you got caught. Yeah? That lands yourself right on a plate of responsibility so why don't you take that responsibility. And as far as the rest, we'll see what you got when you're out there.

Luke: Alright. Thanks, coach.

[EXT. Junkyard]

( Matt and Richard are loading metal into the back of the station wagon. )

Richard: (holding up a piece of metal) You see stuff like this, okay? Get that, too.

Matt: Alright. You know, when you're looking at all this rusty, metal stuff, you know, it's all dirty and stuff, do you see something in it?

Richard: Do I see something in it?

Matt: I mean, like something, like you know, like, for your art.

Richard: (picking up a piece of safety glass) Oh, oh... shh. Oh my, oh, oh, I see the face of God.

( He drops it. )

Matt: Alright.

Richard: I don't know, man! I don't know. You ask too many damn questions. Questions.

Matt: It was one question.

Richard: Gonna take a little break. Not you but... Let's get the rest of that stuff in there, alright?

Matt: Yeah.

[INT. Bartender's House]

( Tim exits the bathroom with a toothbrush in his mouth and heads to the living room where he sees Girl. )

Tim: Hey. I had to borrow your bathroom cuz mine's not working.

Becky: Okay.

Tim: I talked to your mom about it. She said it's cool, so...

Becky: (laughs) Okay, I don't care. Hey, which one do you like better? (she holds up two dresses) The red one or the pink one?

Tim: For what?

Becky: I have a pageant coming up and these are kinda old but I don't think they're too short. What do you think?

Tim: Yeah, I don't think I'm qualified. I think it's best to ask your mom about this kind of stuff.

Becky: She's not here. And you don't need to be qualified, it's just a dress. Which one do you prefer?

Tim: Where's your mom?

Becky: She's working.

Tim: Every night? She can't help out with this ever or what?

Becky: Yeah. It's not a big deal. Okay, I can try it on for you if that's easier?

Tim: What?

Becky: I can try them on for you.

Tim: I don't know. (he starts walking out) I don't think I....

Becky: Wait! Which one?

Tim: Just, you're good. Pink for sure! Get the pink! You'll win with that. Good luck.

( And with that, he leaves. )

[INT. BAR in Clearwater]

( Richard is playing shuffleboard. )

Richard: Dah!

Matt: Alright, so how about I just throw my last two pucks and then we just take off?

Richard: What's your hurry?

Matt: I got stuff to do. I got people I got to take care of. It's not like we're doing anything here. We're just playing shuffleboard.

Richard: Alright, let's talk then.

Matt: You want to talk now?

Richard: I can talk. You know, I'm not a d*ck all the time. So talk. Talk.

Matt: I don't know what to say.

Richard: Start anywhere.

Matt: Fine. What would you say is the most important tool for an artist to have?

Richard: What's with you and all these questions?

Matt: You just told me to talk.

Richard: I meant, you know, talk about yourself while I secretly mock you inside my head.

Matt: Oh, okay, alright, you know what? How about I just settle up our tab and then we'll take off.

( Matt sits down at the bar when Richard sits down next to him. )

Richard: Alright. Okay. Watch out. The most important tool an artist can have is selfishness.

Matt: Selfishness?

Richard: Yeah. It means you're gonna spend your life trying to express some quiet dark corner, deep, deep inside you. You will put aside love, God, life! In order to follow this craving. So my advice to you is to just screw everybody else and maybe you got a chance.

[EXT. A bar elsewhere...]

( Eric and Buddy are sitting at a bar. )

Eric: I wrote a personal check. I've got to get that money together and I've got to get it quick. I don't know how to talk to a boosters, you do. I don't know how to ask for money. You're get at asking for money. All I'm doing is asking for your help.

Buddy: I know and I'd like to Eric but I got Joe McCoy and the other guys breathing down my neck. I mean, they think I'm the one who told you about the mailbox.

Eric: You are the one who told me about the mailbox.

Buddy: I know! But I've got to unknow that right now. I mean, they may be having me followed! They probably got my phone tapped or maybe bugged for all I know. You know these guys, they're crazy!

Eric: Yeah, they're crazy all right. Let me tell you something: Levi, now, Principal Burnwell, has informed me he's willing to shut down the football program at the high school if need be. That's what I'm up against. I'm asking you for your help.

Buddy: That's terrible. And I'm sorry to say this but I cannot help you right now. I just can't.

Eric: You know what, Buddy?

Buddy: What?

Eric: You need to polish that ring of yours. It's looking a bit tarnished.

( Eric gets up and leaves Buddy looking at his ring. )

[INT. Taylor Bathroom]

( Julie is brushing her teeth (are we sure we're not sponsored by Colgate???) while Tami stands nearby holding Grace, trying to put on the little girl's shoes. )

Julie: An earthquake in West Texas?

Tami: Yeah, they have 'em. Odessa. Odessa's on the permian basin and that's a fault line, honey. They have 'em. What would you do? Would you pray?

Julie: Well...

Tami: (to Grace) One more, one more.

( Julie spits. )

Julie: I'd probably check on you and Gracie and Dad and then I'd stand under a doorway.

Tami: Alright, I know, I hear you. That's great. That's all good but would you pray?

Julie: How 'bout next time there's an earthquake in West Texas I'll let you know?

[EXT. East Dillon Football Field]

( Usual suspects plus Tim. )

Eric: Come on now! Yeah!

( Focus is on Luke's POV. )

Stan: Way to bring the wood, Cafferty! Way to bring that wood!

( Some applause by various team members but Coach is distracted. )

Stan: All right!

( Pass to Vince who drops it. )

Eric: Come on! Hey, Vince, what are you doing man? You've got to make that play. You gotta catch that ball. How can you miss that? You're not gonna make that play out here today how are you gonna make that on Friday? Look at me! You can't make that play, what are you out here for?

( Whistle blows. )

Eric: Hey guys, let's bring it in!

( Tim approaches Luke. )

Tim: Luke! Hey, uh, good job.

Luke: What am I, the Invisible Man out here? Did you see that? It's not like he's even seeing me work my butt off out there.

Tim: What do you mean?

Luke: Coach didn't even look at me.

Tim: He's got a lot on his plate, that's why.

Luke: I...

Tim: Keep doing what you're doing though.

Luke: Thank you. Thanks for noticing.

( Cut to "Girl" henceforth known as "Curly" thanks to Anmodo - standing nearby. )

Becky: Hey, Tim! I'll see ya later.

Luke: Who's that? Hi!

Tim: I'm renting a room from her mom, that's it.

Luke: You're what?

Tim: I'm renting a room from her mom.

Luke: Wish I was renting a room from her mom.

( Tim stares at him. )

Luke: Just joking.

[EXT. Park]

( Calvin and Vince are playing basketball. )

Calvin: Look man, you make sure he know the difference between coach and dad.

Vince: He's always yelling at me you know, on the field. Telling me what to do. Pushing me. Grabbing my jersey. Trying to embarrass me in front of the rest of the team, you know what I'm saying. That's now how I get down, dude. That white boy sucks. Why's he all up in my face? Coming up where I hang out, at my house, knocking on my door, talking to my moms. And you already know my mom's situation right now. You know how I feel about that. It's alright though, it's cool though cuz he's bringing that white boy Luke on the team. He think he gonna take over supposed to be some kind of Panther's superstar or something like that. Yo, that's my spot! That's my team. I'm the Running Back, you know what I mean.

Calvin: Look man! At the end of the day the white gonna stick with the white man. They're gonna look out for each other. That's what we gotta do. We gotta look out for us. A'ight.
[INT. East Dillon Lions Locker Room]

( Tim is monitoring Luke doing crunches. )

Tim: Twenty-five more.

Luke: Dang! Hey, Rigs. Why don't you wear your Panthers State Ring?

Tim: I don't know. That's a good question. I guess I don't like rings.

Luke: What was it like, going to State and winning that ring?

Tim: It's pretty good, man. You gotta give this team a chance.

Luke: Dude, be serious. This team is not the Dillon Panthers. The Coach doesn't like me. I mean, he's been pretty clear about that out on the field. In practice, sticking me on D, no disrespect but that's not what I do. He's mad about his wife getting all backlash for throwing me off the Panthers. I want to play football, man. I want to win a State ring.

Tim: Like I said, give it a chance. Trust the coach.

( Luke looks doubtful. )

[INT. different part of weight room]

Tim: Hey, Coach!

Eric: What?

Tim: How are ya?

Eric: Good. What's up?

( Tim notes that Coach is wearing nice slacks, crisp white shirt and a red tie hanging loose around his neck. )

Tim: Where you going?

Eric: I'm going to drum up some business from local business leaders in the form of cash. What do you need?

Tim: Uh, as you know I've been working with Luke - a lot. And he's good.

Eric: Excellent.

Tim: Damn good.

Tim: And I think he's worth getting a tougher look at.

Eric: What's that supposed to mean?

Tim: I think, I don't know where to go, he thinks you hate him is what I'm trying to say... And I'm trying to work with him...

Eric: I don't have the time or resources for sensitivity training. That kid's got to get rid of the concept that we're gonna kiss his ass 24-7 cuz he's gracing us with his presence. You tell him to show up, shut up and just work him hard. I'm gonna deal with the rest later. Thanks.

Tim: Yes, sir.

[EXT. Park]

( Landry tries punting when Jess Merriweather walks up with some little boys. )

Landry: Ugh.

Jess: Hey! Can we play?

Landry: I mean, I was supposed to be working on my punting but if you all want to play afterwards or if you want to watch...

Jess and Boys: Yeah! Let's do it!

Landry: Okay.

( Landry tries punting a ball and it doesn't go well. )

Landry: AUGH!

Boys: (laughing) Nah! You suck!

Landry: That's nice.

Jess: (laughing) I'm sorry.

Boy: The ball's supposed to go straight.

Landry: See that was actually all planned...

Jess: Want some pointers?

Landry: Um, do you know a lot about punting?

Jess: Yeah, actually I do. Here look, you wanna... Okay, I can show you three steps alright? You wanna make sure that you keep that lean forward position so keep your head down. Make sure you hit the meat of the ball with this part of your foot, okay. So point your toes, okay. And make sure you follow through all the way with your leg. But don't be stiff. Like, loosen up, okay. But don't think!

Landry: Okay.

( Landry poised to make the punt - it's waaaaay better! )

Jess: Okay!

Boys: Wow!

Boy: Now that was better!

Boy: Yeah!

Jess: (high fives to boys) I'm good, right? Yeah.

Landry: How'd you know that?

Jess: Right!

Landry: I don't think that's ever going to happen again.

Jess: It will.

Landry: Especially not whenever all the thousands of screaming fans are around.

Boy: What fans?

Landry: I mean, one away game or something.

( Jess laughs. )

Jess: (to boys) Can you all go get the balls and stuff?

Boy: Let's go!

( Boys race off. )

Jess: My little man. (to Landry) You just gotta keep doing it. Just keep doing it. Over and over. Do it thousands of times cuz you'll get that muscle memory. Just forget about the guys, the big guys charging at you, the fans, the chaos... (she closes her eyes and goes Zen) Just like zone in, inside yourself and forget it all. Let it all, the chaos just... you know, just let it go. Let it go, you know.

Landry: Where'd you learn so much about football?

Jess: Um, my father. He used to play football, he was a quarterback. He almost went pro, too, but now he can't stand it. Thinks its a big waste of time.

Landry: Where'd you learn so much about the (he mimics her Zen look)... Did you study Buddhism?

Jess: No, no, no. It's my life, you know.

[INT. Taylor Living room]

( Tami's at the computer looking like she's going through the bills when Eric enters. )

Tami: Hey. How'd it go trying to get the Boosters together and all that what not?

Eric: I went to about twelve of the local businesses and found out that they either don't know there's a football team or they could give a damn less.

Tami: Sorry about that, honey.

Eric: Yeah. Stopped over at the bar and I had a drink and I left the car over there and Alan gave me a ride home. So if you could take me...

Tami: Oh, Lord.

Eric: ... in the morning to get it, I'd appreciate it.

Tami: All right. Okay.

Eric: You know that check yesterday, you asked me about the check for the Dry Cleaners...

Tami: Yeah.

Eric: It wasn't for the Dry Cleaners. It wasn't for $45 dollars. It was for Under Armor. It was for gear for the team and it was for $3,000.

Tami: You wrote a check for $3,000? We don't have $3,000 in our checking account!

Eric: I know that but when I wrote the check, it's not a check that's gonna be run through right away so you don't have to worry about it.

Tami: Well, I really would have appreciated it if you had talked to me about this.

Eric: Well, I didn't have time to talk to you about this...

Tami: You didn't have time to talk to me about it?

( Tami is sitting there, calmly as she can, listening to his rationale and excuses. )

Eric: No, I didn't have time to talk to you about it. I'm telling you about it now.

Tami: Listen, I know that you're having a hard time but come on now, why would you not talk to me about that?

Eric: Listen, if I don't write the check I don't uniforms for the team. If I don't have uniforms for the team I don't make money anyways so what the hell does it matter? If I can get the money from Burnwell who I've been talking to - which I think I can do - everything will be fine. It's just a matter of doing it. I just need time. I'm just telling you for the sake of not...

Tami: Don't raise your voice. Don't raise your voice.

Eric: I'm not raising my voice. Why don't you just stay calm and stop getting all riled up?

( Tami can't take anymore and stands up. )

Tami: You're gonna get your damn uniforms but in the meantime what about our accounts? you write yourself a check for $3,000 without talking to me about it, you lie to me about it, we don't have that money and then you come in here and yell at me? I don't think so.

( She exits the room leaving Eric standing there feeling the foolish man he is! )

[INT. Taylor Bedroom]

( Clock on the night stand reads 2:02 a.m. and Eric is wide awake. )

( Clock on night stand now reads 6:20 a.m. and Eric is gone as Tami wakes up. )

( She goes to the kitchen and there's a note on the coffee maker: "Went to pick up the car. Have a good day. Love, Me!" )

[EXT. Eric driving down a road]

( Eric has a note that reads: "Cafferty 1018 RR X18" )

Mr. Cafferty: Hey, Luke! Your football coach is here.

( Luke is bailing hay and we see his daddy is an authentic looking cowboy. Suddenly it makes sense on why his parents won't move. They won't leave the family farm/ranch. )

Mr. Cafferty: (to Coach) He's got quite a lot of work to do before he gets to school.

Eric: I won't take much time at all.

Mr. Cafferty: I appreciate it.

Luke: Good morning, coach.

Eric: How you doing?

Luke: I'm alright, how you doing?

Eric: Good, good.

Luke: What can I do for you, Coach?

Eric: I understand you're not happy at practice. Want to talk about it?

Luke: Well, no disrespect, Coach but I just feel like I'm not being used. I feel like you're not even giving me a chance out there.

Eric: What do you want from me?

Luke: Well, first of all, I haven't even gotten a chance to play offense which is what I do.

Eric: You'll get your chance. You'll get your chance when I give it to you. Listen to me, I'm trying to put a team together here. I got eighteen other players I'm trying to pay attention to here. I can't put you up on a pedestal and pay all the attention to you.

Luke: Look, I want to get out of here, all right? That's why I'm playing football. I mean, this is it for me. This is all I care about, Coach. It's all I ever cared about. My parents don't help me out with stuff. They don't care football. So I was on my fast track, got to Dillon Panthers and I'm not there anymore. We don't need to talk about that. But here I am, I'm willing to k*ll myself cuz I want to get out of here, Coach. That's all I'm saying. I just want a chance to play ball. I want a chance to get noticed.

Eric: I understand that you're a helluva player. Hell, you can run circles around most of the people out there. I understand everything you've been through. I understand what it's like to want to be a Panther. Believe me, that's not lost on me. Anything else that you need?

Luke: What I need? I need a scholarship to a good school so I can get out of here. That's what I need.

Eric: Listen, I'll tell you what. I will do everything in my power to get you just that if you do one thing for me.

Luke: What?

Eric: I need you to lead.

Luke: All right.

Eric: Do you understand what I'm saying?

Luke: Yeah.

Eric: Lead.

Luke: Yeah. Alright, thank you.

( Luke extends his hand and they shake. )

Eric: You want a slap on the back, you earn it.

( Eric then pats his shoulder. )

Eric: See you out there this afternoon.

Luke: Alright, see you out there.

[INT. Tim Riggins' Truck]

( Tim is giving Becky a ride. )

Becky: Thanks for the ride.

Tim: Yeah, you got a boyfriend?

Becky: No, why?

Tim: Cuz that's the guy who should be doing this. Giving you rides everywhere.

Becky: Well, since you're already doing it, maybe it would be more efficient if you were my boyfriend.

( Tim gives her a look like 'you freaking kidding?' )

Becky: I'm just kidding.

Tim: Hey, you ever run into that Luke Cafferty kid?

Becky: Luke?

Tim: Yeah, Luke. He likes you. I've been working with him on field and everything and, uh, he's just non-stop talk about you so...

Becky: And?

Tim: I'm just giving you a heads up you know, just in case you're interested in having a boyfriend. He's a pretty good guy.

Becky: Yeah, I'll talk to him.

Tim: Do it.

( She has this look on her face like she's interested in having a boyfriend but it ain't Luke. )

[INT. Coach's Office]

( Eric is at his desk when Tami enters. )

Tami: (knocks on door) Hey.

( Eric has this priceless fearful look on his face. )

Tami: Just thought I'd swing by on my way home from work.

Eric: I'm sorry.

Tami: I appreciate that.

Eric: Doug called from Under Armor. He said he's willing to wait for the school to pay for the two thousand and the other three thousand, he's gonna take it easy on me and I will get it paid.

Tami: Good. Honey, don't ever do that again.

Eric: I won't.

Tami: And I'm sorry you're having such a hard time.

[EXT. Joe McCoy's House - Poolside]

Lester: Sounds like Coach is moving up Sobel to take Luke's spot tonight.

Bill: Yeah, meanwhile Luke Cafferty's on his way to being massacred in his first Lions game. What a waste.

Lester: I can tell you one good things gonna come out of this, Bill, alright. McCoy's gunning for Principal Taylor.

Buddy: What are you talking about, Lester?

Burl: McCoy will figure out a way to get that bitch outta there.

Lester: There you go.

Buddy: I can't even believe you, Burl.

( They laugh as Buddy walks off. )

Buddy: Hey! I got something to say to everybody!

( All eyes shift to Buddy - including Joe with that smug smile of his. )

Buddy: I hate to spoil the party but this is to everybody. You know what? I'm not a Panther anymore. You used to be my friends but I don't know who you are. I don't know what you believe in but its not the Panthers. It's not the Panthers I believed in, it's not the Panthers we grew up with. I'll tell you that right now. You what to know another thing? I'm the one who told Eric about the mailbox.

( Joe and a few Boosters exchange murmurs that their suspicions were right on. )

Buddy: Hey, I can't live with myself anymore. I put that mailbox in twelve years ago. In the middle of the night, I dug that hole and put it in. It's my mailbox! I'll do whatever I want to with it! And Joe, I tried. But ever since you got here you have been a cancer to me, you've been a cancer to my friends, and you've been a cancer to this team. And just one more thing I want to say is, clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

( And that said, Buddy walks out. )

[EXT. Richard Sherman's Studio]

( Matt pulls up in a car with Julie and gets out. )

Matt: Sorry, I just gotta drop this off real quick.

Julie: Yeah. No problem. Take your time.

( Matt disappears inside and we see he walked past Richard who's working in his yard. Julie gets out of the car and wanders around when Richard spots her. )

Richard: Who the hell are you, little girl?

Julie: Um, hi, I'm Julie. Matt's girlfriend. He went inside to drop off that tool you asked him to pick up.

Richard: So you're the ball and chain that keeps dragging him down. I think I married you about twenty-years ago, babe.

( He walks off and Julie stands there stunned before getting back in the car. )

[EXT. Football Field for Other Team]

( The Lions exit the bus. )

Tinker: Hey, Coach! Hey Coach, I thought we were getting new uniforms. What are we doing? Playing in our practice stuff or what?

Eric: Tinker, why don't you do less talking and more thinking about the game, son. Let's go.

( Fan holds up signs mocking the team "No Lion, They're Quittin" )

[INT. Locker Room]

Eric: Come on, gentlemen, let's go! Let's go!

( New uniforms are proudly presented just outside the lockers and the team is thrilled. )

Tinker: Whoo Boy!

Vince: Oh, these are official right here.

Players: Alright!

Eric: Hey, hey, listen up! Hey, listen up, gentlemen. Listen up! They may be new but they're still work clothes. Let's go to work. Let's go, let's go to work!

( Team cheers and starts roaring. )

[INT. Restaurant]

( Matt and Julie are eating. )

Matt: All of sudden he was actually talking to me. It was the first time I had a real conversation with him. He's actually a really smart guy. He had real interesting things to say. It was crazy.

Julie: Do you think I'm holding you back?

Matt: No. Why?

Julie: I was outside waiting for you and Richard Sherman came out and started talking to me.

Matt: 'bout what?

Julie: He said I was the ball and chain holding you back.

Matt: No, that's... that's stupid. Hey, you're the most important thing in my life.

Julie: What if that's the point?

Matt: No, that's not the point. The point is he's stupid. The point is he was drunk. He don't know about us. Eat your bean curd.

Julie: Alright.

Matt: Alright.

[EXT. Football Field]

Announcer: The Lions down 27-nothing, late in the fourth. They are definitely gonna finish this one folks. Luke Cafferty on the Bronco Blitz. Hits him in the backfield. Luke Cafferty has been bringing it all night.

Eric: Nice hit!

Announcer: Now if the Lions could just get on the board tonight, it'd make a whole heck of a lot of difference to this football team. And it drops back in the pocket. Oh! And Howard gets b*rned on the wheel route ... He's got a man open! He's got the outside! OH! And Luke Cafferty makes another touchdown saving hit. Vince Howard has just gotten smoked all night long. A real disappointment after such a promising start.

Stan: Stay in it!

Luke: Huddle up, defense. Huddle up, defense. Vince, don't jump on the front. That's the third and ten.

Vince: Who made you coach?

Luke: Think about it.

Vince: That's what I thought.

Player: Hey, guys.

Luke: Four-three, code two. Four-three, code two.

Team: Ready, break!

Announcer: Never say die. Never quit. 37 seconds left in the game. Let's see if Cafferty and Howard can put some pressure on this Rattler offense and make something happen. And back to pass.

Eric: Stick it!

Announcer: Looking to cross the middle... Fires! Ho my! Luke captured it. Interception! He's bringing it the other way!

( Crowd goes wild. )

Tami: Go!

Eric: Go! Go!

Announcer: Here we go, folks. He's got a line up the sideline.

Jess: Go on!

( Luke is running with the ball, headed to a touchdown, with Vince just ahead as his blocker. )

Announcer: Oh man, is this kid fast. One man to b*at. He's got a blocker on front! He could go!

( Suddenly Vince stops, allowing Luke to get tackled. )

Announcer: Oh, mercy me! Vince Howard pulled up.

Eric: Hey! What the hell was that?

Announcer: Luke Cafferty, he's up and I'll tell you what: he's not happy about it. Vince Howard is getting an earful folks.

Luke: Vince, what the hell was that?

Vince: (holding up his hands) You're too fast, man. You're too fast!

Luke: You're your own problem, V. You're your own problem.

Eric: Vince, what was that?! What was that?

Vince: I didn't have the angle, coach.

( Vince removes his helmet and argues with coach. )

Eric: What do you mean you didn't have an angle?

Vince: I didn't have an angle!

Eric: You could've run circles around him!

Vince: ...don't waste no energy, huh, Coach?

Eric: Hey, let me tell you something. You know what, you know why I always pick on you? Cuz you're good, that's why. You know why you have a problem? Cuz you're your own worst damn enemy! That's why!

Vince: Fine! Get out of my face!

Eric: No! You get out of my face and let me tell you something: put that damn helmet on right now. (he pulls Vince close and growls) Don't you dare talk to me like that out here. You change it right now. Or you will be out of this game so damn fast you will not ever...

( Vince pulls on his helmet. )

Vince: Yes, sir.

Eric: You understand me?

Vince: Yes, sir.

( Tami is watching from the stands (wearing her Lions red) watching with wide, worried eyes at how pissed Eric is at Vince. )

Eric: Landry!

Landry: Yes, coach.

Eric: Get out there. Get us a field goal. Get out there.

Landry: Field goal! Here we go! Here we go!

( Eric shoves Vince back to the field. )

Eric: You're on the field goal team. Get in there, then! Don't you ever take that helmet off in front of me. Do you understand me?

Announcer: Coach Taylor lining up for the field goal. Trying to get on the board. Clock is ticking folks. There's the snap. Oh, and it's over his head! Bouncing around the carpet. That was not pretty. Landry Clark picks it up. I don't know what he's going to do with it. Oh, he shovels it forward. Vince Howard on the outside. Oh, what a move! Just on the edge! Howard could go. This could be it folks! Oh my, touchdown! Touchdown East Dillon! Vince Howard has scored. Coach Taylor and the East Dillon Lions are on the board.

( The Lions are thrilled to score one goal!! They are so excited you wold think they hadn't just lost the game. )

Announcer: Touchdown Hallelujah.

[INT. Julie's Room]

( Julie's reading in bed when Tami enters. )

Tami: Hey, how was your date?

Julie: It was good.

Tami: It was?

Julie: It was good.

Tami: I've been thinking. I think I want you to come to church with me cuz it makes me feel like family. And cuz I like having you sit next to me there, at least for a little bit longer. And I think it's good that you're questioning your faith. I just want you to have faith in something. Something that can hold you when I'm not going to be able to hold you anymore.

Julie: Okay. I'll be there Sunday.

( Tami snuggles with Julie in the bed. )

Tami: I'm sorry but you're always going to be my little girl.

[INT. Richard Sherman's Studio]

Matt: Richard! Richard!

( Matt is scanning the area looking ready for an argument when he spots Richard's sculpture hanging up above. He stares at it in awe. Behind him he hears a snort and snore and looks over to see a passed out Richard. )

Richard: (mumbling) Hey, huh... Jesus...

Matt: Hey! Get up!

Richard: Ah, screw you.

Matt: Alright, screw you, too.

Richard: Ah...what are you doing?

Matt: I'm just looking at this thing.

Richard: That's a piece of crap.

Matt: Yeah, well, it's a beautiful piece of crap.

Richard: Thank you.

Matt: Yeah, yeah.

[INT. Coach and Mrs. Coach's bedroom]

( Tami enters carrying a glass of water as Eric dozes in bed. )

Eric: (his eyes closed) We'll get the money together somehow.

( Tami gets into bed, facing him. )

Tami: I know you will.

Eric: I love you.

Tami: I love you, too.

( Eric shuts off the light. )

Tami: And you know what?

Eric: Hmm?

Tami: Now that you've gotten all the way through the game, you gotta feel pretty good about that. Bet you'll sleep better tonight.

( Eric just lies there with his eyes wide open. )