07x02 - k*lling Time

All TV show episode transcripts for seasons 1 to 9. Aired November 2002 to January 2015.*

Moderator: nomadicwriter

Watch/Buy Amazon

While WWII rages across the Channel, a police detective reluctantly remains on duty in his quiet English coastal town. The battle comes to Foyle in its own way as he probes w*r-related cases of m*rder, espionage, and treason. Mystery blends with history, moral complexity, and period atmosphere.

07x02 - k*lling Time

Post by bunniefuu »

American army base. An underground boxing match is taking place in one of the camp buildings. Two fighters, one black and one white, are bare-knuckle boxing. The surrounding crowd is made up of white GIs, cheering and shouting.

GI: Go on! Get him! Hit him!

GI: Come on!

GI: Upper body!

GI: Go on!

GI: Just hit him!

Sergeant Calhoun, smoking a cigar, counts money at the edge of the crowd.

CAPTION: HASTINGS JULY 1945

A pair of black GIs, Gabe Kelly and Paul Jennings, spy on the match from behind a parked vehicle.

Paul: What's, what's happening?

Gabe: Shh!

They both duck down for a moment, then rise back up. In the ring, the black fighter is beginning to gain the upper hand.

Gabe: That's right! Come on, man!

The white fighter gets a punch in, and the crowd roars in approval.

GI: He's gonna k*ll you!

As the black fighter gets the upper hand again, the crowd begin to boo and hiss. He has his opponent on the ropes in the corner, and Gabe and Paul laugh in delight. As the booing continues, Calhoun straightens up and starts wading through the crowd. The referee breaks the two fighters up.

Referee: That's enough!

The white fighter is still down, and the referee begins counting him out.

Referee: One! Two! Three! Four!

GI: Come on, get up!

Referee: Five! Six!

Calhoun ducks under the rope to enter the ring.

Referee: Seven! Eight! Nine!

Calhoun grabs the white fighter by the arm and hauls him up, raising his arm in a victory salute.

Calhoun: The winner!

The crowd cheers and applauds. Gabe and Paul watch in disappointment.

OPENING CREDITS

Village street. Foyle drives along, passing a group of GIs in a Jeep.

Committee room. Foyle sits down at a table with a group of other men. Harry Delmont, chairing the meeting, takes a seat at the head of the table.

Delmont: Morning. Firstly, I'd like to introduce DCS Foyle and thank him for giving us his time at such short notice. Now, this committee has been convened to discuss a rather sensitive matter. The council has received a request from the commanding officer at the American base to introduce a colour bar in Hastings. I thought we should at least listen to a few thoughts on the matter from people like you, who would have to implement it. Major Wesker here is the new liaison officer at the base and he's happy to answer any questions.

Wesker: Gentlemen. Unfortunately, we've had a growing number of incidents between our coloured and white troops. Fighting has broken out in public and it seems to be getting worse now that everyone is itching to get Stateside. My commanding officer feels a temporary colour bar could avoid, er, trouble flaring up between the troops like it did at Bamber Bridge a while back.

Stuart: Bamber Bridge?

Wesker: Yes, a brawl between white and coloured soldiers in a local bar escalated into a full-blown mutiny.

Hawkins: But why now? The w*r in Europe's over, after all. You boys will be going home soon.

Wesker: Not quite. The truth is, we can't use our coloured troops as part of the occupying force in Europe. Heinies don't take too kindly to being bossed around by them. So our coloured boys are k*lling time till we can free up enough transport to ship them home. They've been here a long time doing nothing, so tensions are rising.

Foyle: How do you see this working, exactly?

Hawkins: Well, we could make some of the bars whites only, some coloureds only. We wouldn't restrict our coloured soldiers, we'd just separate them like we do at the base.

Foyle: Well, that's fine, except this isn't America, it's Great Britain, and we don't practise segregation.

Wesker: Quite right, Detective Chief Superintendent. The world would be a boring place if we were all the same. But these are exceptional times, are they not?

Foyle: Which is why, perhaps, it's important to remember what we've been fighting for. Freedom from oppression, wasn't it? Pointless destroying what we're trying to protect, wouldn't you say?

Wesker chuckles a little and clears his throat.

Later. The group are leaving the committee room. Delmont catches up to Foyle.

Delmont: Foyle? Cheeky business, this colour bar. But it might be for the best. Just for a few months.

Foyle: Right.

Delmont: Let's, er, mull it over. We can reconvene in a few days. You can, er, make your recommendation then.

He walks on.

Hill House guesthouse.

Radio: This is the eight o'clock news from the BBC.

Kitchen. There's the sound of a baby crying in the background as Sam pulls a pan of sausages from the oven. Adam is serving up eggs.

Sam: Here are the sausages. Only one each, remember.

Adam: Yes.

Sam: Eggs ready yet?

Adam: Nearly.

The baby's crying gets louder.

Adam: Oh, you hear that? Kept me up all night.

Mandy Dean enters the dining room with her baby girl, Caroline, who is visibly mixed-race.

Adam: Morning.

Mandy: Morning. Hope she didn't give everyone a sleepless night. She's got colic.

Sam: Oh, I'm sure nobody heard a thing.

Later. The guests are around the breakfast table. They include a young woman, Lucy Jones, an older man reading a newspaper, Mr Duff, and Larry Hains, who has only one arm. Adam sets plates in front of them.

Adam: There we go. Excuse me.

Duff: Who'd have thought rationing would get worse after the w*r.

Hains: Well, gotta keep them poor Germans fed.

Mandy comes over to the table.

Lucy: How's your little girl? She have a bad night?

Mandy: Did you hear her?

Lucy: Just a bit. Weren't that bad.

Hains: Wasn't that bad? Sounded like she was being tortured or something.

Mandy: If she keeps this up we'll get thrown out, won't we?

Lucy: Course you won't, don't be silly. Don't listen to Mr Hains here.

Mr Duff eyes the baby disapprovingly.

Hains: I don't know why anyone would want to have children.

Lucy: Well, that's not something you'll have to worry about, is it, Mr Hains? With your countenance, no woman would have you.

Hains takes a bite of his toast. Lucy winks at him.

Later. Sam is just coming downstairs with the laundry, passing Lucy and Mandy in the lounge. Mandy hurries after her.

Mandy: Sam? Can I have a word?

Sam: Of course.

Mandy: Erm, well, the baby kept Mr Hains awake last night and I think he might say something to Mr Wainwright.

Lucy: I told her to stop worrying about him. He'll be fine once he gets his artificial arm.

Sam: Lucy.

Lucy: Well, you'd think he was the only person who suffered in the w*r.

Sam: He lost an arm!

Lucy: Yeah, I lost a husband.

She heads up the stairs. Sam sighs.

Sam: Don't worry. I'll put in a good word for you.

Mandy: Oh, thank you.

Kitchen. Sam and Adam are doing the washing up as Mr Duff comes in with a suitcase.

Duff: I'll be leaving. I'll pay for last night, but you won't be seeing me again.

Adam: Is something wrong?

Duff: I didn't realise the kind of people you had here. It's a downright disgrace.

Adam: What is, exactly?

Duff: Any establishment that allows loose women and their piccaninnies.

He puts his money down on the table and leaves. Adam sighs and goes over to sit down.

Adam: Mandy and the baby are gonna put people off.

Sam: So? Don't want people like that staying here anyway, do you?

Adam: Well, the way business is, I can't be that choosy. Look, I feel for her, Sam, I do, but... I need every penny I can get or I could lose this place.

Sam: Adam, she's just been chucked out by her own family. Now you want to chuck her out as well. I thought we were all supposed to be in this together? Isn't that what the w*r was all about?

Dean family home. Mandy is waiting outside the building with her baby carriage. Her mother, returning home, slows down for a moment as she sees her, but then keeps on walking.

Mandy: Mum!

Her mother ignores her, going over to unlock the front door.

Mandy: I need- I need to talk to you. Mum. Can, can you lend me some money? For the rent? I promise I'll pay you back.

Mrs Dean: I told you not to come back here. I've got no time for it.

She heads into the house.

Mandy: Well, don't, don't you even want to see your granddaughter?

Mrs Dean: You ought never to have kept that baby. Other girls gave them away. You should've waited for Tommy. He'd have seen you all right.

Mandy: What's this got to do with Tommy?

Her mother slams the door in her face.

Mandy: Mum! Mum, please! I need milk for the baby!

The baby starts crying, and Mandy goes back over to the pram. Behind her, her mother chucks a few coins out of the letterbox. Mandy scrambles to pick them up.

Army base. Some black GIs are sorting laundry on a table outdoors. A group of white GIs run past with their kitbags.

GI: Come on, guys! Let's go!

GI: We're goin' home!

They run past Gabe and Paul, both carrying dustbins.

GI: Don't drop the garbage, boy!

Gabe sets his dustbin down by Paul and they both watch the white GIs getting into a truck.

Paul: Man, I am sick and tired of watching these white boys go home while we stand here clearing the trash.

Gabe: Could be worse. We could still be fighting.

Paul: You don't wanna get back home to the States?

Calhoun walks past the laundry sorters.

Gabe (offscreen): Yeah, sure, I do.

Paul: Damn, Gabe. It's been so long, I can't remember the sound of my girl's voice. How long they gonna keep us here?

Gabe: Listen, Paul, it's nearly over. We'll be out of this man's army soon. Let's just keep our heads down, huh?

Calhoun: You two. Get back to work.

The truck full of GIs starts to drive away.

GI: Hey, boy! Get this place cleaned up!

Gabe: We're on the last transport back to the States, Paul. Get used to it.

Mandy's bedroom at the guesthouse. She's sitting in an armchair with the baby on her lap. Sam knocks and enters.

Sam: How is she? Can I have a peek?

Mandy: Yeah.

The baby yawns and Mandy smiles down at her.

Mandy: Hello. Big yawn.

Sam crouches behind them, shaking a ball with a bell inside.

Sam: Hello!

Mandy talks to the baby as she takes the ball.

Mandy: What's that?

She looks up at Sam.

Mandy: Thank you.

She shakes the ball for the baby.

Mandy: What's that?

Sam: Do you still see him? The father?

Mandy: No, not really.

Sam: Does he know he has a daughter?

Mandy: Yeah.

Sam: But I thought it best I didn't see him. You know, best for him.

Sam: Well, what's best for you?

Mandy: I can't think about myself. Baby comes first. My mum thinks I've ruined my life. She still hopes that I'll, you know, get back with my old boyfriend Tommy. Tommy, Tommy Duggan? He's quite well known round here. He's a boxer.

Sam: Oh, that's right. He was a conchie, wasn't he? The boxer who wouldn't fight. I remember people talking about it.

Mandy: They sent him away to work on the land. Up in Scotland. He's been writing me letters, and... now they're sending him home again.

Sam: Does that worry you?

Mandy: Well, he won't like it that I've been with someone. He always thought he owned me. But I, I never encouraged him. You know, I never wrote back. I, I just don't want him causing trouble.

A country lane. Tommy Duggan walks along with a suitcase. He passes two women, and they stop and look after him, whispering together.

Jimmy's house. Tommy walks through a gate into a garden where an older man, Jimmy, wearing a boxing glove as he polishes it. The shed behind him is filled with boxing equipment.

Tommy: Not thinking of getting back in the ring, are you, Jimmy? Things that bad?

Jimmy laughs.

Jimmy: Tommy!

He pulls the glove off his hand.

Jimmy: Well, well. You're a sight for sore eyes. Last I heard you was up north.

Tommy sets his suitcase down.

Tommy: Forestry and land drainage.

Jimmy: And when'd you get back?

Tommy: I just arrived.

They shake hands.

Tommy: I'm wondering if I get my old room back.

Jimmy: Yeah. Yeah, if, if, er, you need it.

Tommy thumps a punching bag lying nearby a couple of times, and smiles.

Tommy: I've missed this. I've missed the smell of the ring. I'd like to fight again.

Jimmy: Ooh, I dunno. Ha. You'll be out of shape now. It's been a few years.

Tommy: I've never been fitter. You try digging ditches ten hours a day.

Jimmy: Well, I, I've got my hands pretty full down the gym now, you know. New blood.

Tommy: I was your best fighter.

Jimmy: The best I ever had. I'll be honest, Tommy. There's some bad feeling about you round here. We lost some good lads overseas. People don't forget that easily.

Tommy: I need to earn a few quid, Jimmy. I'm planning on getting married.

Jimmy: Oh? Who's the lucky girl?

Tommy: Mandy, who else?

Jimmy: I take it you haven't spoken to her yet? Before you start, er, making plans you should.

Tommy: I will. Don't worry. I've got the ring and everything.

Jimmy: Yeah, well. Like I say, you can stay here till you get back on your feet again. That's all I can do for you.

Dean family home. Tommy approaches the house with a bunch of flowers, stopping to check his hair in a window. He knocks on the door and Mrs Dean answers it.

Mrs Dean: Tommy?

Tommy: Mrs Dean. Mandy in?

Mrs Dean: She's... not with us any more, Tommy. She's at the guesthouse on Highcliffe Street. She won't be coming back here.

Tommy: Why's that, then?

Mrs Dean: You'll have to speak to her about that yourself. Maybe you can knock some sense into her.

She closes the door.

Tommy: (What?)

Guesthouse. Mandy comes down the stairs. She stops as she sees Sam in the hall below, Tommy Duggan behind her.

Sam: Mandy? There's someone here to see you.

Tommy: Mandy.

Mandy: When did you get back?

Tommy: Today.

Sam: Excuse me, I have to go and prepare supper.

Tommy: D'you get my letters?

Mandy: Mmm. Yeah, I, I did.

Tommy: I'm sorry I didn't write more.

He gives her the flowers.

Tommy: Wasn't always easy.

Mandy: It's all right. It's not like we're walking out any more.

Tommy: Well, I wanted to, just the same. There wasn't a day you weren't in my thoughts.

Mandy: Things are different now. I'm different. I don't think about you that way.

Tommy: Well, you did once. I went by your house. Got the feeling you and your mum had had a falling out.

Mandy: Yeah. She didn't say why?

The baby starts crying upstairs.

Tommy: Said you'd explain.

Mandy: I'm sorry, Tommy.

Tommy: What're you sorry about?

Mandy: I have to see to the baby.

She turns and goes upstairs.

Mandy's room. She picks up the baby, who stops crying.

Mandy: There we go. Shh-shh-shh-shh-shh.

Tommy looks in through the door and then walks in.

Tommy: It's yours?

Mandy: Her name's Catherine.

Tommy: She's-

Mandy: She's beautiful. That's what she is.

Tommy: I was gonna ask you to marry me.

Mandy: What makes you think I'd say yes?

Tommy: You won't get any other offers. Not now.

He turns and walks out. Downstairs, Sam watches him leave.

Mandy's room. She sits in silence, holding the baby.

Woods, night. A car is driving along in the dark. The driver is Hawkins, one of the committee members. He sees a woman in the road waving her arms and comes to a halt. He gets out of the car.

Hawkins: Miss? What's wrong?

Woman: It's my husband, he's hurt!

Hawkins: Well, I'm already late. What's happened, exactly?

He follows her into the trees. A man cocks a g*n at him.

Gunman: Don't move.

The woman takes Hawkins' wallet and looks inside.

Woman: Had a good w*r, did we?

She moves off, and the gunman holds the g*n on Hawkins a while longer before following. The woman goes to Hawkins' car and does something to cut the engine before running off.

Hawkins (voiceover): I only saw the girl.

Foyle's office. He stands listening to Hawkins.

Hawkins: Dark hair. I don't think I'd recognise her again. They disappeared into the woods before I could get a decent look.

Foyle: Mm-hmm.

Hawkins: That's what you get for playing the good Samaritan. What is the bloody world coming to?

Foyle: Anything else you remember?

Hawkins: She said something about me having a good w*r. I don't know what she was implying.

Foyle: Well, listen, er, as soon as we hear anything, er, we'll let you know, of course.

Hawkins: Yes, well. Let's make it sooner rather than later, shall we?

He leaves. A young man, Detective Constable Hadley, approaches and knocks on the open door.

Foyle (offscreen): Yeah?

Hadley: Sir?

Foyle (offscreen):Mm-hmm?

Hadley: Er, Detective Constable Hadley.

Foyle turns.

Foyle: Ah, right-

Hadley: I'd just like to take this opportunity to say how much I'm looking forward to working for you.

Foyle: Oh, jolly good.

Hadley comes forward to shake his hand.

Foyle: How'd you do? Mm-hmm.

Hadley: I, erm, I just heard about the stick-up. Anything you need me to do?

Foyle: Well, apart from the obvious, you mean?

Hadley: Of course. Sorry, sir.

He goes to leave.

Foyle: Ah, no. Beg your pardon. Er, check with the locals, see if they, er, saw or heard anything. Yeah?

Hadley: Sir.

He leaves, closing the door behind him.

Outside the Hill House guesthouse. Gabe and Mandy stand talking.

Gabe: I can talk to my CO. You can come back with me to the States.

Mandy: Go and live in America?

Gabe: Mm-hmm.

Inside. Sam approaches the window to look out.

Mandy (offscreen): I love you, Gabe, you know I do.

Sam pulls the net curtain aside and sees the two of them.

Mandy: This is my home. It's where I belong.

Gabe: It seems to me you don't belong anywhere. Not any more.

Sam to go away, but knocks something over with a clatter. Mandy turns to look for a moment, then turns back to Gabe.

Mandy: Please, Gabe, you've got to go.

Gabe: Let me see the baby. Just for a minute.

Mandy: Look, if people find out you're the father something might happen to you. I'm sorry, I couldn't bear that.

Gabe: Mandy. I'm not leaving without you and our baby. You do want to be with me, don't you?

Mandy: More than anything.

They embrace.

Woods. Foyle walks through the trees. He stoops down and picks up a empty packet with the Zippo brand name. Hadley comes up behind him.

Hadley: Nobody heard or saw anything. They must've escaped on foot.

Foyle: Uh-huh.

Hadley: Found something, sir?

Foyle: Er, an empty packet of flints.

He hands it to Hadley.

Hadley: The Yanks use these lighters.

Foyle: Yeah.

Hadley: Hard to get. They only sell them in their PX stores.

Foyle: Mm-hmm. Hmm.

Village. Foyle gets out of his car. He sees a group of black American GIs talking with some young women. A Jeep pulls up beside them Calhoun gets out along with one of the m*llitary police.

Calhoun: Move it.

GI: Bye.

Woman: Bye.

Foyle stands watching a moment longer, then moves away.

Delmont (voiceover): Some locals are saying they won't cooperate with the colour bar if it is passed.

He stands talking to Foyle at the bar of a pub.

Foyle: And?

Delmont: If we agree to it, people must comply.

Foyle: Must they?

Delmont: If you would issue a warning of some kind. Let people know that it's not a matter of choice. I have to go. And I hope we can count on your support.

Foyle: Well, I'll see you at the meeting.

As Delmont leaves, Tommy Duggan enters. People turn and look at him as he approaches the bar. It's another committee member, Fred Stuart, behind it.

Tommy: Pint of bitter, please.

Stuart: Sorry. No bitter.

Tommy: Well, what's that, then?

Stuart: I said no bitter. Not for you.

Foyle: Pint of bitter when you're ready, please.

Stuart: Certainly, Mr Foyle.

Foyle waits for Stuart to draw the pint, then gestures to Tommy.

Foyle: It's for him.

He gives Stuart the money.

Foyle: Thank you.

Stuart gives Tommy the pint.

Tommy: Do I know you?

Foyle: You don't. I know you. I saw you b*at Eric Hanson. Knock-out in the third, wasn't it?

Tommy: Second.

Stuart: Pity you couldn't be bothered to knock out a few Germans.

Tommy: Boxing's a craft. k*lling, that's different.

Foyle: A lot of people think the Nazis has to be stopped. Don't you?

Tommy: Well, put Mr Churchill and Herr h*tler in the ring and let them sort it out themselves. Saved a lot of lives that way.

Foyle: Well... not if h*tler had won with a knock-out in the second, it wouldn't.

Tommy: My old man fought in the last w*r, d'you remember that one? The w*r to end all wars?

Foyle: Yep.

Tommy: When I was three he went into the garden shed and blew his brains out with his old Army r*fle. Not long after that they found my mother dead with her head in the oven. All that suffering. And nothing changed, and it'll be the same again this time. If men said "No. I'm not gonna fight, not for anybody," then people like h*tler wouldn't have an army to do his k*lling for him, would he? Someone has to draw the line. Thanks for the pint.

Foyle: It's a pleasure.

He leaves.

Committee room. The same group sit around the table.

Delmont: Now, it is with some regret that I say this, but... I think we should recommend the colour bar be introduced. I know there is some concern about legality, but the feeling is we can get round that in a short time. Does anyone else have any thoughts?

Stuart: Well, I don't want no trouble in my pubs. So it's fine with me.

Delmont: DCS Foyle? You'll have to enforce this. How do you feel?

Foyle: Well, we'd probably agree that, er, the gratitude we owe our American friends is considerable. Many of them d*ed on the Normandy beaches, er, fighting for freedom and protecting these islands in the process, and it's probably a good moment to remind ourselves that not all of them were white. Major Wesker assures us that, er, coloured troops won't be discriminated against, only separated, but it's my opinion that whatever you call it, it sets a very shabby precedent. Er, these people are guests in our country and should be treated, at the very least, with respect.

Delmont: Shall we take a vote on it? A show of hands, perhaps? Those in favour of the temporary colour bar?

Everyone except Foyle raises their hands.

Delmont: Those against?

Foyle raises his hand.

Delmont: We recommend to accept the American proposition. Thank you all for your time.

Later. The group are leaving the room. Delmont pauses in the doorway to let Foyle catch up.

Delmont: Sorry things didn't go your way, Foyle.

Foyle: Well, that's democracy for you.

He leaves.

Street. Tommy is out in the pouring rain. He spots Mandy under a shelter in front of a church, with the baby in her pram.

Tommy: Mandy!

He jogs over to join her.

Tommy: I'm sorry about what I said yesterday. It's just the shock, that's all. I do love you. And I do want to marry you. But I can't take on someone else's child. I just can't do that. If you got the baby adopted, I'd feel different.

Mandy: She needs me. She needs a mother. You of all people should know that. I'm sorry, I've got to go.

She pushes the pram away.

Tommy: Mandy...

She doesn't look back.

Mandy's room. She lies on the bed, rocking the baby in the cradle and sobbing to herself.

Hallway. Sam hears Mandy's crying as she's passing and knocks on the door.

Inside. Mandy sits up and turns away to compose herself as Sam opens the door.

Sam: Everything all right?

Mandy: Uh-huh.

Sam: I know it's none of my business, but I couldn't help overhearing you and that young soldier. Is he the father?

Mandy nods.

Sam: Very handsome. And do you... love him?

Mandy: Yes. But I can't see a future, can you?

Sam: Why not? That's what this ruddy w*r was all about, wasn't it? A better future for all of us. So... if you love him, really love him, you ought to follow your heart.

Mandy: Why? Why's everyone so against us being together? I mean, who cares about the colour of his skin? I keep thinking, you know, what if... what if something happens to Gabe just 'cause I'm his wife? I couldn't live with myself. See, things would be simpler with Tommy. I could... give the baby up. And we could start again.

Sam: But you don't love Tommy.

Mandy: At least the baby and Gabe would be safe, wouldn't they?

Sam: You don't want to do anything you regret.

Mandy: I don't know what to think any more.

Sam: Tell you what. Lucy's going to the dance tonight. You and I could join her and... cheer ourselves up.

Mandy: I can't. The baby.

Sam: Mr Hains could keep an eye on her.

Mandy: Mr Hains?

Sam: Why not?

Kitchen. Adam and Hains are playing cards at the table. Sam enters carrying the baby in a basket and a baby bottle, followed by Mandy and Lucy. She sets the basket down on the table.

Sam: Coat on, Adam. You're going to trip the light fantastic.

Adam: What?

She leans over to speak to Hains.

Sam: If she wakes, it'll be because she wants her bottle.

She pats Adam on the shoulder.

Sam: Come on.

Adam: Good luck.

He stands up.

Sam: Back by ten.

Lucy gives Hains and amused look as they all turn to leave. In the basket, the baby gurgles. Hains sets his cards down and peers at her.

Dance floor. GIs are dancing with local woman to the Andrews Sisters' "Rum and Coca-Cola" as the group from the guesthouse enter.

Lucy: Ooh, I love this song. I fancy a dance, don't you?

She draws Mandy along with her. In the corner of the room, Calhoun stands smoking a cigar.

Adam: So, what does everyone fancy to drink? It looks like lemonade or squash.

A group of women are sitting the dance out on the side benches.

Sam: Oh, lemonade for me, please.

Mandy: Why isn't anyone dancing with those girls?

Lucy: Oh, the wallflowers? Also dared to be seen with a coloured GI, the white Yanks won't go near 'em now.

Mandy: Maybe I don't wanna dance with 'em anyway.

Sam: Oh, rats to them. I'll dance with you.

Mandy: I want to be Fred and Ginger, not Ginger and Ginger!

The music changes to the intro of "Sentimental Journey". Paul and Gabe enter the room together with another black GI.

Paul: Come on, Gabe, enjoy yourself for once.

As they stand at the edge of the dance floor, everyone stops moving, and the white GIs give them threatening stares.

Paul: Maybe this wasn't such a good idea. Come on, let's blow.

Gabe: No.

Black GI: Come on, let's get outta here.

Gabe: I'm staying.

Paul: Gabe...

Gabe: I said I'm staying.

Paul: You don't want no trouble.

Black GI: Come on, man, let's go.

He draws Paul with him and the two of them leave. Gabe walks in through the motionless dancers and towards the refreshment table where Mandy is standing. Calhoun walks past behind Sam.

Calhoun: Don't be alarmed, ma'am. That's just one of our night fighters. When he gets back to the States, we'll give him an injection and it'll turn him white again.

Sam: Is that what passes for humour where you come from?

Calhoun: Yeah.

Gabe approaches Mandy, who at first looks away as if they're not together.

Gabe: Hey. May I have this dance?

She looks around at the motionless group watching from the edge of the dance floor, then gives him a small nod. He leads her out onto the floor and they start dancing by themselves. The white GIs move in around them.

Adam: These chaps don't look too happy.

Sam: No, they don't, do they?

Adam: Fancy a dance?

He takes her hand and leads her out onto the floor to join Gabe and Mandy. Lucy turns to the man standing next to her, a civilian.

Lucy: Come on.

Other civilian couples join them on the floor as well. The white GIs and Calhoun stand watching.

Country road, daylight. Foyle is driving along in the casual clothes he wears to go fishing. Then he spots Gabe lying face-down by the side of the road. He stops and gets out, looking around for any sign of anyone else, then goes over to kneel by him. Gabe's face is bloody.

Later. Gabe sits on the edge of car's passenger seat, dabbing at his face with a handkerchief. Foyle walks back up to the car.

Foyle: You'll live.

Gabe: Thanks. That was very kind of you.

He hands the handkerchief back to Foyle.

Foyle: Not at all. So they were all soldiers?

Gabe: Yeah.

Foyle: And why would they do this?

Gabe: They didn't like me dancing with my girlfriend. She's a local girl.

Foyle: I see.

Gabe picks up a box of fishing flies from the seat.

Gabe: Is that a Black Dog?

Foyle: It is. Do you fish?

Gabe: Yeah. When I was a little boy, I'd fish all day if I could. And you got Lady Caroline. And that's a Ribs Flat.

Foyle: That's right.

Gabe: Mmm.

He spots another box.

Gabe: Oh, and these ones are... hmm!

Foyle: I made those.

Gabe: Man. Look at that.

He picks one up.

Gabe: Long hackles, small neat hair. That, that's beautiful.

Foyle: Isn't it? You can have those.

Gabe: No!

Foyle: No, no, no. You're welcome. I'll make some more. We should get you back to base.

Gabe: Thank you.

Army base. Gabe stands to attention outside Major Wesker's office as Calhoun approaches. Calhoun stands against the opposite wall and regards him in silence.

Major Wesker's office. Gabe stands before Wesker at his desk.

Wesker: We did make it very clear it was in everybody's best interests if you coloured boys stayed away from the local girls.

Gabe: I know, sir. But I have feelings for the girl, sir. I'd like your permission to marry her, sir.

Wesker sighs.

Wesker: All right, what's this girl's name?

Gabe: Mandy Dean, sir.

Wesker: And what are you gonna do when you get back home? You gonna take her back down to South Carolina? Interracial marriage is illegal in twenty States, private.

Gabe: We could live in New York, sir.

Wesker: Really? And do what?

Gabe: I'm a musician, sir. I know how to earn a living.

Wesker: All right, listen to me, Kelly. There is no point you making a mistake you are gonna regret for the rest of your life. Request declined.

Gabe: She has a child, sir. My child.

Wesker: Forget the child. I know it sounds harsh, but I'm doing this for your own good, private. I have seen this too many times. Girls like Miss Dean try and trap Americans into marrying them.

Gabe: You don't know her, sir. She's not like that.

Wesker: Private Kelly, I will arrange a transfer for you as soon as possible. In the meantime, you will not see this girl, do I make myself clear?

Gabe: I don't want a transfer, sir. I wanna get married. And nobody can make that decision for me. Not you, not the army, not nobody.

Wesker laughs and shakes his head.

Wesker: Oh, well. She must be something special, this girl.

Gabe: She is, sir.

He takes out a photograph of Mandy and Wesker studies it.

Wesker: Very pretty. You know, I'll have to interview her before I sign any papers, as will the chaplain. There is a mountain of paperwork to get through, and even then, they might still refuse her visa.

Gabe: I'll do whatever it takes, sir. And so will Mandy.

Wesker: All right, private.

He hands the photograph back.

Gabe: Thank you, sir.

He salutes and leaves. Outside, Calhoun watches him go.

Churchyard. Gabe stands waiting among the gravestones. Mandy arrives, and they exchange waves.

Later. Mandy touches Gabe's injuries on his face.

Mandy: I knew this would happen. This is exactly what I meant.

Gabe: Mandy, I'm gonna be fine.

Mandy: You see? Look at you.

Gabe: Listen, I'm gonna be fine. Mandy. Mandy? I need to know if you'll be my wife.

Mandy: Gabe, I love you more than anything. Of course I'll be your wife.

Gabe: Oh!

He laughs in relief, and she laughs too as they embrace.

Gabe: Hot diggity damn! Okay, okay, first...

She kisses him.

Gabe: Okay, listen. We, we gotta meet Major Wesker. You could see him today. And we're gonna need, er, a British passport and two copies of your birth certificate. I've gotta write something called an Affidavit of Support, which-

Mandy: Hang on, a what?

Gabe: An Affidavit of Support, which he's gotta sign. Then-

Mandy: Well, wait a minute, Gabe.

Gabe: What, what, what?

Mandy: Well, I dunno if I can get my birth certificate.

Gabe: Why's that?

Mandy: Well, because my mum's got it, and she's not talking to me, is she?

Gabe: Relax, relax. Before you know, we're gonna be in New York, and we're gonna get a place in Harlem.

He kisses her forehead.

Mandy: Harlem?

Gabe: Mm-hmm.

Mandy: Like the Cotton Club and all of that?

Gabe: Yeah, that's right.

Mandy: Well, are there any white people there?

Gabe: Of course there are gonna be white people there, Mandy. We'll have all kinds of friends, Mandy. Trust me.

Mandy: Gabe...

Gabe: What?

Mandy: I'm scared.

Gabe: Oh, it's okay to be scared. But sometimes you just gotta close your eyes and jump.

As they kiss, Tommy Duggan enters the churchyard. Mandy sees him over Gabe's shoulder.

Mandy: We'd better go. You go first.

Gabe: Mandy, we don't need to sneak around no more.

Mandy: Please. Please, for me.

Gabe: Okay.

He kisses her forehead, then leaves. Mandy looks over her shoulder at Tommy. Then she turns to move after Gabe.

Guesthouse. There's a loud banging on the door. Sam walks through the hall to answer it. It's Tommy Duggan.

Tommy: Where is she? Where's Mandy?

He walks in.

Sam: She's not here.

Tommy: You're lying. Mandy! Mandy!

He starts up the stairs. She chases after him.

Sam: Mr Duggan, please, you'll disturb our guests.

Tommy: Mandy, I wanna talk to you!

Hains comes down the stairs.

Hains: What's all this noise about?

Tommy: Is she up there?

Hains: No. Now go home and sober up. What's wrong with you, anyway? You should be happy enough you're still in one piece.

Sam: Mr Duggan, don't make me call the police.

Adam comes out into the hall. After a moment, Tommy turns and leaves the house. Adam looks at Sam.

Adam: She's causing more trouble than it's worth.

He leaves again.

Jimmy's garden. Tommy sits tending a fire. Sergeant Calhoun enters the garden.

Calhoun: Tommy Duggan, right?

Tommy: What's it to you?

Calhoun: I hear you're a fighter. You wanna make some money?

Tommy: How?

Calhoun: Bare knuckle.

Tommy: Go on.

Calhoun: At the barracks. We run a book. Keep it under your hat. If our Major finds out, we'll all end up in the can.

Tommy: What do I get?

Calhoun: Five pounds. Everything else is mine.

Tommy: Just tell me when and where.

Calhoun: I'll let you know.

He leaves.

Guesthouse. Sam opens the door to find Foyle on the other side, wearing his fishing gear and holding a wrapped cloth-wrapped package.

Sam: Sir!

Foyle: Hello. Thought you might like these.

He unwraps the package, which contains several fish.

Sam: Good golly.

Foyle: Too much for me. Thought you and the others might like, er, a decent meal.

He hands the fish over.

Sam: That's very generous. What a catch. See you at seven?

Foyle: Beg your pardon?

Sam: Well, I can't possibly take your fish and not invite you to share it. There'll be tons for everyone.

Foyle: Very kind. See you at seven.

He tips his hat to her and turns to go.

Sam: Thank you.

Village street. Calhoun is just getting out of the Jeep. Foyle pulls up and parks behind. Calhoun heads towards the pub opposite and pins a sign to the door that reads 'WHITE GIs ONLY'.

Major Wesker's office. Mendy and Gabe sit opposite him at his desk

Wesker: Any member of your family ever been in prison?

Mandy: No.

Gabe nudges her.

Mandy: Sir.

Wesker: Any member of your family ever been affiliated with or a member of the Communist Party?

Mandy: I don't think so.

Wesker clears his throat.

Mandy: No, sir. Sorry. Definitely not.

Wesker: Okay. And you... genuinely love this man?

Mandy: Yeah, I do.

Wesker: Are you prepared that you might not be accepted by white people in America?

Mandy: Yes.

Wesker: Or coloured people, for that matter?

Mandy: Yes.

Wesker: And you have the ten pounds for the visa?

Gabe: She has.

Wesker: Good. Okay, so, look, I have to be sure no coercion is involved in your decision, Miss Dean. You may have to see me again.

Gabe: She'd be glad to, sir. Wouldn't you, Mandy?

Mandy: Yeah, yeah, course.

Wesker: Good. Well, I can see why you wanted to marry her, Kelly. She's, um, well, she's very beautiful. Do you have your Affidavit?

Gabe: Sir.

He hands it over.

Wesker: Thank you.

He looks at the paper for a moment.

Wesker: Okay, good. Let me think it over.

Guesthouse. Sam enters the lounge.

Adam (offscreen): I'm sorry, Mandy, that's my final word. You have till the weekend.

Mandy (offscreen): Oh, please...

Sam: What's going on?

Lucy is there too, in one of the chairs.

Lucy: She can't pay this week's rent.

Mandy: You don't understand. I need an address so that I can apply for the visa.

Adam: Yeah, I'm sorry. I have my own problems. I need to pay my mortgage.

Sam: Well, then. I'll pay Mandy's rent for this week.

Adam: Sam.

Lucy: Yeah, and I'll pay next week's.

Adam: I'm trying to run a business here, Sam, not a charity. She has till the weekend.

He leaves. Mandy sits down and puts her face in her hands.

Army base, Gabe's quarters. He takes out the box of fishing flies that Foyle gave him and admires one. There's the sound of a bouncing basketball, and he turns to see Calhoun enter. He dribbles the ball over towards Gabe and stops in front of him.

Calhoun: You might like sleeping with white trash limey girls, boy, but you better not be doin' it when you get home, or you will get a lot worse than a b*ating.

Gabe steps up closer to him.

Gabe: You'd know all about white trash, wouldn't you, sergeant?

Calhoun looks amused and shoves him in the chest with the ball. He turns away and dribbles it back out.

Guesthouse. Sam is escorting Foyle through the building to the dining room.

Sam: Everyone's in the dining room.

Foyle: Oh, right.

Sam: Food should be ready soon.

Foyle: Good.

Gabe is visible at the table behind them along with the three guests.

Sam: Can I get you a drink?

Foyle: Please.

Sam: It'll have to be cider, I'm afraid.

Foyle: Oh, I see. All right.

Sam: Let me introduce everyone. Um, this is Miss Mandy Dean.

Foyle: Hello.

Mandy: Hello.

Sam: Miss Lucy Jones.

Foyle: How do you do?

Lucy: Hello.

Gabe stands up.

Gabe: Mr Foyle.

Foyle: How are you?

They shake hands.

Sam: You two know each other?

Foyle: We do.

Sam: Oh. Mr Larry Hains.

Foyle: How do you do?

Sam: Excuse me.

She heads through into the kitchen. Adam is at the table, prodding the mashed potatoes with a spoon.

Sam: What are you doing?

Adam: Mashing potatoes.

Sam: With a wooden spoon?

Adam: I couldn't find the masher.

Sam: That's because you don't have a masher.

Adam: There's no need to be snippy with me.

Sam: To be honest, I'm pretty browned off with you. Threatening to chuck Mandy out like that just doesn't seem like you.

She turns and notices something behind her.

Sam: That and the fact you haven't turned the oven up.

Adam: Ah.

She pulls the tray of fish out to take a look.

Sam: Look at it. It's raw.

Adam: Well, they're all so hungry, maybe they won't notice.

Sam shoves the tray back into the oven.

Adam: I'm sorry, Sam. I feel awful about the way I treated Mandy. Wasn't my finest hour, I admit that. I'm just- I'm worried about losing this place.

Sam: I understand.

Adam: I've told her she can stay until she gets her visa. How's that?

Sam: That's wonderful. Thank you. Now, let's bat on before they all faint with hunger.

Later. Sam and Adam brings the plates out to the guests around the table.

Adam: Don't stand on ceremony.

Lucy: It looks delicious.

Sam: All Adam's work. No end to his talents.

Lucy: I haven't had a meal like this in an age.

Hains: Pity you can't feed the 5,000 with it.

Lucy: You should just be thankful for what you have, Mr Hains.

Gabe lifts the lid off a covered dish for Mandy.

Sam raises her glass of cider.

Sam: A toast. To Mandy and Gabe.

Adam: Mandy and Gabe.

All: To Mandy and Gabe.

Gabe: Thank you.

He raises his own glass.

Gabe: It's good to be amongst friends.

Later. Foyle is just coming down the stairs.

Mandy (offscreen): Isn't she beautiful?

Gabe (offscreen): She looks just like her mum.

Foyle stops for a moment, seeing the two of them with the baby in the lounge. Gabe kisses Mandy's forehead. Foyle smiles and walks on.

Later. The group, apart from Mandy, are back around the table. Adam is pouring out coffee.

Lucy: Well, thank you, Mr Foyle. That was the tastiest fish I've ever had.

Adam: And the coffee, Gabe. Haven't had real coffee in an age.

Gabe: It's the least I could do. But I think Mr Foyle's contribution was more impressive. He had to catch those fish.

Lucy passes Hains the sugar bowl.

Lucy: Yeah, well, I'm glad he did, that's all I can say.

Foyle: Don't. No, really, not necessary. Where did you lose your arm, Larry, if you don't mind me asking?

Hains: Normandy.

Adam: It's a disgrace how long he's been waiting for a prosthetic.

Foyle: Where did you land?

Hains: Sword.

Foyle: 6th Division?

Hains: That's right.

Foyle: Well... you landed first, didn't you? Took quite a hammering.

Hains: Yeah.

Foyle: Well, if it, er, wasn't for men like you, I don't know quite where we'd be.

Adam: A bloody concentration camp, no doubt.

Hains: Thank you.

Mandy returns to the table.

Gabe: Baby all right?

Mandy: Mmm. She's fine. Sleeping.

Adam: You were at Normandy, Gabe. How was it for you?

Gabe: Lost half the company, but I guess it's supposed to make the world a better place, huh?

Foyle: Well, let's hope so.

Lucy: Can't get much worse.

Hain: Still don't know why you wanna fight for America. The way they treat coloured people over there.

Gabe: Mmm. Yeah, I know what you're saying. I know a lot of musicians that kept movin' to avoid the draft. They didn't give a damn about the w*r. Wasn't the Germans kicking their butt every day. No, sir. It was their fellow Americans. But as for me, I wanted to go overseas to fight for democracy. Now all we gotta do is fight for it again back home.

He clasps Mandy's hand.

Kitchen. Sam and Adam are cleaning up.

Adam: That's the last of them to bed. Would you like a nightcap?

He turns to face Sam.

Sam: Oh. I thought you'd never ask.

They're very close, and both lean in tentatively, as if about to kiss.

Adam: I've got some Empire port somewhere.

He moves away.

Woods, night. Delmont is driving along. He sees a woman lying slumped in the road and gets out of the car.

Delmont: Miss? You all right?

He goes over to kneel beside her.

Delmont: Miss?

There's the sound of a g*n cocking. Delmont slowly rises and puts his hands up.

Foyle's office. Hadley brings Delmont a drink.

Delmont: This is the last thing we need now, what with local businesses trying to get back on their feet. You'll have to catch these people, Foyle. Soon as possible.

Foyle: Did they say anything?

Delmont: As a matter of fact, they had the audacity to call me a w*r profiteer. Ridiculous thing to say.
What? You think they're picking on people who've done well out of the w*r?

Foyle: Well, Hawkins, now you.

Delmont: I wasn't a w*r profiteer. My factory helped build tanks, for God's sake!

Foyle: And I'd agree.

Hadley: Er, sir, this conchie called Duggan arrived back in town the same time as these hold-ups started. It might be worth checking out his whereabouts at the time of the robbery.

Foyle: Er, call Eastbourne and Brighton, er, first, see if they've had any similar incident, would you?

Hadley: Yes, sir.

He leaves his office.

Jimmy's garden. Tommy practices hitting a punching bag with bare knuckles.

Village street. Calhoun is driving along in his Jeep. He spots Mandy pushing her pram past the church. He screeches to a halt and gets out, approaching her.

Calhoun: If you think it's bad here, just wait till you get to the States. He will never be able to see...

He shoves the pram forward and Mandy tries to halt it as she backs away.

Mandy: Oh!

Calhoun: ...his family again. If he does, they will lynch him, and believe me, you do not want that. Back in '33, in my home town, there was a coloured boy who was accused of seeing a white girl. Just seeing her, that's all. And a mob of about 40 men dragged him out of his house and into a town square. Well... word come there was gonna be a lynching, there was practically a stampede to see it. They strung him up to a poplar tree. But before they did, they deprived him of his ears, his fingers, his toes. And this guy's pleading for his life all the time they're torturing him. And then they castrated him. I can still hear his screams like it was yesterday. I've never heard anything like it since. No more thought given to his death than that of a dog. Now, is that what you want for Gabe?

Mandy grabs the pram and pushes it away without responding to him.

Boxing ring. Tommy is fighting another man in the ring while the crowd roars. Calhoun and two of the m*llitary police stand by the entrance. Gabe looks in through the door. One of the MPs blocks his way with a nightstick. Paul comes in behind Gabe.

MP: Sergeant?

Calhoun gives a small nod, and the two of them are let through along with some other black GIs. They make their way through the cramped crowd.

GI: Hey, where you going?

The two boxers grapple. Tommy's opponent knocks him down and the referee steps in to count him out.

Referee: Right, step back, step back. One! Two! Three! Four!

The opponent is already raising his arms in celebration of his victory.

Referee: Five! Six!

Gabe: Come on, get up!

Referee: Seven! Eight!

Tommy manages to get back up. There are cheers and whistles from the crowd.

Referee: All right, box.

Outside. An army vehicle drives back towards the base. The guards open the gate to let it through.

Boxing ring. The two fighters are slugging it out. Paul and Gabe are in the crowd. One of the MPs tugs at Paul.

MP: Get outta here, boy. Move!

Paul turns round and punches him in the face. Another MP grabs hold of Paul and cracks him over the head with his nightstick.

MP: You stay all the way down!

As the MPs b*at up on Paul, Gabe rushes forward.

Gabe: Paul!

MP: That's it, you're done! Stay down!

Members of the crowd shout and kick at Paul while others hold Gabe back.

GI: Drag him up.

MP: Go on boy, get back up!

GI: Come on! Come on!

GI: Drag him up!

In the ring, Tommy sees what's happening and lowers his fists. The crowd boos as he head so the corner.

MP: Darkie, you're going down!

Tommy grabs the towel from his corner and throws it down into the ring, surrendering.

MP: Get up, scumbag! Come on!

Outside. The car approaches the base.

Boxing ring. Tommy watches the fighting in the crowd from his corner.

GI: Get back in there!

Gabe breaks loose from the men holding him back.

GI: Get Kelly!

Gabe: Paul!

He manages to haul Paul back up off the floor, but then the crowd manage to restrain him again.

GI: Kick him! Kick him!

Calhoun starts shoving his way through the rioting crowd.

Calhoun: Get outta my way!

As Gabe throws punches, Calhoun wades in and strikes at him with his nightstick. Gabe punches him in the gut and shoves him down.

MP: Sarge!

Gabe runs off through the crowd, a GI shoving him along his way.

GI: Get out!

Calhoun: Get off me! Get Kelly! Get him!

He and the two MPs run through the building after Gabe.

Outside. The Jeep parks. A soldier gets out with a briefcase and takes it over to a door. As he reaches for his keys someone comes up behind him and holds a p*stol to the back of his head. The soldier slowly sets the case down on the ground. A woman hurries forward to take the case. Her partner hits the soldier over the back of his head with the p*stol. He slumps against the door and falls to the ground.

Woods around the base. Gabe runs into the trees. He looks back to see Calhoun and a group of four MPs coming after him, shining torches ahead of them. He turns and runs deeper into the woods.

Calhoun: Kelly! We're gonna find you, boy.

MP: Kelly, you better come back here, boy.

MP: You hear, lover boy?

Gabe hides among the trees, panting. He sees the search party pass close by.

Calhoun: You two, head north. You follow me.

Gabe starts running again. The searchers make their way through the trees more slowly. Then Calhoun shines his torch down at something on the ground. Mandy Dean lies dead on the ground, partly covered with branches.

Calhoun: Colley.

Colley: Sir?

Calhoun: Go get Major Wesker. We got a real problem here.

American army base, daylight. The guards open the gate to let a m*llitary truck out. A moment later Foyle drives up with Hadley. He shows his warrant card to one of the guards.

Foyle: For Major Wesker.

Guard: Okay. Over there on the right, sir.

They open the gates again, and Foyle drives through.

Woods. Foyle and Hadley stand with Wesker and Calhoun amid the trees.

Wesker: So, this is where we found Miss Dean's body. Um, moved it about an hour ago.

Foyle: Without informing us?

Wesker: Er, yeah, thought that was best. Technically, this is US soil.

Foyle: Well, technically this soil is irrelevant. The, er, victim was a British civilian. You had no right to move the body.

Wesker: Right, well, with all due respect, detective, this is not your investigation.

Foyle: Visiting Forces Bill, 1942, Chapter 31, in fact, says it is. Where is the body?

Wesker: Er, back in the base. In the sick bay.

Foyle turns to Hadley.

Foyle: Get the coroner out here, establish the time of death, will you?

Hadley nods and leaves.

Foyle: Anybody check for... travel paths?

Wesker: Tra...? I'm sorry, I'm not with you.

Foyle: Travel paths. Animals, foxes in particular, pick up evidence - hair, clothing - take it with them. Anybody check for this?

He looks at Calhoun, who shakes his head a little.

Wesker: Right. Er, no, none of my men checked the travel paths. Er, I can see that we should have perhaps waited for you, but we've had quite a busy night here. Our payroll got h*jacked last night. Think it might be the same people that robbed your friend Delmont.

Foyle: Was the body found before or after the robbery?

Wesker: Er, she was found after, but he could have k*lled her before.

Foyle gives him a questioning look.

Wesker: We've arrested Private Gabe Kelly for the m*rder.

Later. The three of them are walking through the base together.

Foyle: Has he confessed?

Wesker: No. Maintains he didn't do it.

Foyle: Don't you think you might be being a bit hasty, then?

Wesker: He was the only person in the woods at the time of her death, detective. Listen, I think she was getting nervous about becoming a GI bride, I could see that. I think she changed her mind, Kelly took it badly and he k*lled her. Look, I like this kid. But between you and me, the top brass, really, not gonna look much further. A lot of men in this division are from the south. I'm ashamed to say their opinion of the n*gro is extremely low. This will just reinforce their prejudices and they will want this wrapped up as soon as possible.

Base lockup. Foyle stands inside the cell with Gabe, who's sitting on the bed.

Gabe: I went to see the fight. Tommy Duggan was taking on one of our boys. I was- I was a little drunk, but I was happy. Celebrating. But then there was some trouble. I thought Calhoun was gonna k*ll me, so... I ran into the woods. He'd been looking for an excuse, you know? He didn't like the fact that I was with Mandy and she's white.

Foyle: Was he one of the group that att*cked you after the dance?

Gabe: Can't say.

Foyle: Go on.

Gabe: Woke up at first light. Walked back to the base. They arrested me at the gates. I thought it was 'cause I'd hit Calhoun. I didn't know what happened up until that point.

Foyle: You and she on good terms?

Gabe: She was a little worried about goin' to the States but... she just needed time. I didn't k*ll her, Mr Foyle. I loved her.

Outside. Foyle is walking through the base. Hadley hurries to catch up.

Hadley: Coroner's on his way, sir.

Foyle: Good. Well, listen, you stay here, see what he has to say. I'll send somebody to pick you up. And find out as much as you can about the wages robbery as well, will you?

Hadley nods, but looks rather worried.

Foyle: You'll be fine.

Hadley turns to walk away. Foyle shakes his head a little and moves to get in the car.

Guesthouse. Foyle is in the kitchen with Adam and Sam.

Adam: Can't believe he'd do that. k*ll the mother of his own child.

Foyle: Either of you see her last night?

Adam: No. No, I didn't see her at all. I, I thought she was up in her room.

Lounge. Sam sits listening while Foyle questions Lucy.

Lucy: She'd asked me to check on the baby, erm, from time to time. She said she needed to talk to someone. I presumed it was Gabe. She seemed, er, terribly anxious.

Later. Foyle is at the table with Hains.

Hains: I was in my room till about ten. I went for a walk. Got back at about 10.30. I did get a glimpse of Mandy. She was walking towards the base, alone, as far as I could see.

Sam is standing listening to this as well.

Foyle: And happy to make a statement to that effect?

Hains: Yeah.

Foyle: Good.

He stands up.

Foyle: Any news about your arm?

Hains: Not yet.

Foyle: Can't come too soon, I'd imagine.

Hains nods. Foyle leaves the room and Sam: follows him out.

Sam: It isn't Gabe.

Foyle: Isn't it?

Sam: Well, it's obvious, isn't it? It was Tommy Duggan.

Foyle: Why would that be?

Sam: Tommy k*lled her in a fit of jealousy, then went to the barracks to fight. Good way to cover up any cuts or bruises he might have got during the struggle.

Foyle: I wonder what was so important for her to go out so late and leave the baby like that. Don't you?

He turns to leave.

Jimmy's shed. Tommy is slumped face-down. The door opens behind him.

Jimmy (offscreen): He started drinking as soon as he heard about Mandy.

As Foyle watches Jimmy steps in to wake Tommy up.

Jimmy: Oi! Tommy! Tommy! Come on, there's somebody here to see you.

Tommy pushes himself up, groaning.

Foyle: Come on. Tommy. Mr Foyle wants to ask you a few questions.

Tommy sits up.

Tommy: Oh, she's dead.

Foyle: Yeah. And there are one or two out there think you might well have had something to do with it. You see her last night?

Tommy: No. I was at the barracks with a fight. I waited for Calhoun to give me the money. He never showed up. I walked back here.

Foyle: Is it true that she'd, erm, changed her mind about going to America?

Tommy: I dunno. She never said anything to me. Do you think I k*lled her? I didn't.

Major Wesker's office. Foyle enters the room.

Wesker (offscreen): Thank you. Okay. Bye.

He sets the phone down.

Wesker: Detective. Didn't expect to see you again so soon.

Foyle: Hoped it might be possible to have a word with your sergeant.

Wesker: Er, yeah, sure.

Outside. Foyle and Wesker stand with Calhoun.

Foyle: You organised this fight, is that correct?

Wesker: It's all right, sergeant. Go ahead. Got more important things to worry about than your little sideline.

Calhoun: I did.

Foyle: Did you see Mr Duggan after the fight?

Calhoun: No. Had my hands full. Some men get a little bit out of control, and there was the robbery. I'll take the rap for that.

Wesker: Normally Sergeant Calhoun would be there to escort the payroll inside. Detective, I thought this was about the m*rder of Mandy Dean?

Foyle: Oh, it is. Er, they could well be connected.

Calhoun: Really? In what way?

Foyle: Hmm, I'm not sure. Yet. Thanks for your time, sergeant. Where can I find the wages driver?

Wesker: Follow me.

Foyle (voiceover): So, too dark to see either of them, is that what you're saying?

Motor pool. Foyle and Wesker through the building with the driver.

Driver: Yeah, they came up behind me and held a g*n to my head. Er, thought I was a dead man.

Foyle: They say anything?

Driver: He just said to put the box down and then he knocked me out.

Foyle: Mm-hmm. The wages are always delivered at the same time?

Driver: Er, no, it varies.

Foyle: And... that's as much as you can tell me?

Driver: Yeah. I'm sorry.

Foyle: All right. Thank you.

Wesker: Thank you, private. Detective.

Major Wesker's office. He leads Foyle inside.

Wesker: Please, come in.

Wesker sighs and takes a bottle and glasses from the filing cabinet to pour himself a drink.

Wesker: I'm off duty. You?

Foyle: I'm afraid not.

Wesker: So, is it possible the same people who robbed our payroll k*lled Mandy Dean?

Foyle: It is.

Wesker: But, you don't think so?

Foyle: Well, I don't know. Er, whoever it was took a big risk, don't you think?

Wesker: You mean, they knew about the fight?

Foyle: Can't be discounted.

Wesker: Well, seems everyone knew about these fights except me. I would really like to get this cleared up before I ship out.

He sits down and starts undoing his tie.

Wesker: Not that I particularly wanna go home or anything. Kind of enjoyed the w*r, you know. In many ways, I don't really want it to end. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to be flippant. I lost friends, but it's just that, you know, back home, I was a junior advertising executive, trying to figure out ways to get people to buy stuff they don't really need. A nobody, really. And here, in the army, I, I've had men relying on me, I've had responsibilities. Anyway. Can't say I'm looking forward to going back home to become nobody again.

Foyle: Being a bit hard on yourself, I'd say.

Wesker: Well, maybe. Did have plans to start my own business. So who knows? Maybe banks will look more favourably on... returning veterans. In the meantime, if you could solve this for me, I would greatly appreciate it. Ha. Seriously though, I got the top brass breathing down my neck. They wanna put Kelly on trial as soon as possible and... I don't think I can stall them much longer.

Guesthouse. Adam walks through into the kitchen with the baby. Sam comes into the room.

Adam: I'm not very good at this. I couldn't stop her crying.

Sam: Oh. You look like a natural to me.

Adam: Well, it was this abacus that did the trick.

He picks it up from the table to show her.

Adam: Think she might be a mathematician.

Sam: Do you?

Adam: I'd love to have kids. Wouldn't you? Lots of them. Enough for a cricket team.

Sam: Really?

Adam: Er, I wasn't suggesting that we... that you and I, that, that we...

Sam laughs.

Sam: Give me the baby. You carry on with the supper.

She takes the baby from him.

Sam: Hello, darling..

The baby starts crying.

Sam: Ooh. Oh.

Base lockup, night. Gabe is sitting on the bed as Calhoun unlocks the cell and enters, locking it behind him. He goes to stand over Gabe.

Calhoun: Now it's time you told the truth, boy. Otherwise, I swear to God, I'm gonna make sure that daughter of yours never grows up. You don't believe me? I am a soldier. I don't remember how many children I've k*lled in this w*r. What's the difference between throwing fire onto a child and throwing a child onto the fire?

He pokes Gabe in the chest with his nightstick.

Calhoun: Do you understand me?

Gabe nods very slightly. Calhoun pushes him further back, then swings the nightstick up to rest on his shoulder.

Foyle's office, night. The phone rings and he picks it up.

Foyle: Hello?

Wesker (phone): Detective Foyle? Er, Major Wesker here.

Foyle: Yep.

Cut to Wesker in his office.

Wesker: Yeah, I have some interesting news. Private Gabe Kelly just confessed.

Hill House. A woman in a suit, Mrs Philips, approaches the guesthouse with a man beside her. She knocks and Sam opens the door.

Sam: Can I help you?

Philips: Good morning. I'm Mrs Philips, the welfare officer, from Hastings Children's department. We're here for the baby.

She hands Sam some paperwork and Sam looks at it.

Base lockup. Wesker stands by as Foyle enters Gabe's cell.

Foyle: I understand you've confessed.

Gabe says nothing. He looks up at where Calhoun is also standing in front of the cell. Foyle looks over at Calhoun, then back at Gabe, who nods silently.

Foyle: Anything you wanna tell me?

Gabe stays silent.

Foyle: This is a hanging offence, you do know that? And there's still nothing you want to say?

Gabe looks up at him and shakes his head. Foyle leaves the cell and Wesker follows him. Calhoun lingers behind, watching Gabe.

An MP lets Wesker and Foyle out of the cell block. Calhoun follows a little way behind.

Wesker: Looks like we found our k*ller.

Foyle: It doesn't concern you that this confession might have been forced out of him?

Wesker: Well, if that was the case, he would have told you, wouldn't he?

Foyle: Depends who forced it.

Wesker stops walking. Foyle turns and looks back at Calhoun. Wesker turns too.

Wesker: Sergeant.

Calhoun: I never laid a hand on him, sir.

Wesker: Really? I know you think you can treat men like Kelly the way you do back home but not here. Not on this base, not in my outfit. Do I make myself clear?

Calhoun: Yes, sir.

Wesker: You can go.

Calhoun leaves, and Wesker and Foyle resume walking.

Wesker: I will try to get to the bottom of this. If Kelly doesn't retract his confession, then... my hands are tied.

Outside. As Foyle walks through the base, Paul runs over to catch up to him.

Paul: Are you Mr Foyle?

Foyle: Yeah.

Paul: Yeah, Gabe mentioned you.

Paul: Said you were a good man.

Foyle: Who are you?

Paul: I'm Private Paul Jennings, sir.

Paul: We heard Gabe confessed. Is it true?

Foyle: It is.

Paul: No, you see, that just can't be. He wouldn't touch a hair on Mandy's head. He was nuts about her.

Foyle: We understand she changed her mind about going to America, isn't that right?

Paul: No. No, no. He was trying to find somewhere for them to live in New York.

Foyle sees Calhoun passing by.

Paul: That's all.

Foyle: Were you at the fight?

Paul: Yes, sir.

Foyle: And how did all that start?

Paul: Er, some guys just started pushing us around. They were mad at us being there, I guess. Normally we wouldn't get past the Snowdrops, you know? It was always white only.

Foyle: But not this time.

Paul: No. I swear to you, Mr Foyle, Gabe did not do this. His only crime is to see the best in people.

Foyle: Well, unfortunately, the facts appear to suggest otherwise. Good afternoon.

He walks away, and Paul looks disheartened. Calhoun stands watching, his arms folded.

Guesthouse kitchen. Adam comes over to sit next to Sam at the table.

Adam: I suppose it's for the best. She couldn't stay here, could she?

Sam: No.

Adam: They said it's very nice, this children's home. 24 little ones. Most of them under eleven. On Sundays they get to read Mee's Encyclopaedia. No. I don't suppose it's ideal.

Sam: She's not an orphan, Adam. She has her own family, they just don't want her. She needs a... a young married couple to adopt her. Kind-hearted and open-minded.

Adam: Somebody like us.

Sam: Except we're not a couple.

Adam: No. No, we're not.

Army base. Calhoun drives his Jeep out through the gates. He stops as he sees Tommy Duggan walking along the road towards him. Foyle drives out through the gates behind and stops as he sees the two of them. Calhoun gets out of the Jeep.

Calhoun: Well, well, well. If it isn't gentleman Jim Corbett. What can I do for you?

Tommy: Where my money?

From his vantage point, Foyle can see the two of them talking but not hear what they're saying.

Calhoun: You didn't finish the fight.

Tommy: You owe me.

Calhoun: No, I don't.

Tommy steps closer.

Tommy: I said, you owe me.

Calhoun: Oh, that's right, I forgot. You're a real tough guy. I just wish I had you with me on Omaha beach.

Tommy: Just give me my money!

Calhoun: You could have told your grandchildren about it. Told them how all along the sand men lay dead, crushed by their own landing craft, or drowned in water red with their friends' blood. Yeah, you should have been there, Tommy. You could have k*lled a few Krauts for us. But that would have taken guts, something you haven't got.

He turns away and Tommy grabs at him. Calhoun hits him in the gut with his nightstick, and then across the back of the legs. Tommy collapses to the ground.

In his car, Foyle is still watching.

Mandy's room at the guesthouse. Lucy is folding clothes away into a box. Sam enters the room.

Lucy: Oh. Just thought I'd put some of Mandy's things away. We could give them to the jumble sale, for the refugees. Think she'd approve.

Sam: Her family may want them.

Lucy: I doubt that, don't you?

Dean family home. Sam approaches the house and knocks on the door. Mrs Dean opens it.

Sam: Mrs Dean? I'm a friend of Mandy's. I was wondering if I could talk to you about her daughter, your granddaughter.

Mrs Dean moves as if to shut the door, but hesitates.

Sam: Catherine. That's her name. Did you know that? The council have put her in a children's home.

Mrs Dean: Best place for her.

Sam: She's just a baby. She should be with her own family.

Mrs Dean: Give her to the father. We don't want her.

She shuts the door.

Pub. Tommy and Jimmy sit at a table together.

Jimmy: Drinking won't solve anything, lad. It's not gonna change what's happened.

Sam enters and spots the two of them.

Sam: Mr Duggan, might I have a word with you?

Jimmy: The lady's speaking to you, Tommy.

Sam approaches and sits at the table.

Sam: I was wondering, well, hoping really, that you might help Mandy's little girl.

Tommy: In what way?

Sam: I understand Mrs Dean thinks quite highly of you. You could get her to see sense and give her a loving home. Every child deserves that. Don't you agree?

Tommy: That baby's got nothing to do with me.

Sam: You loved Mandy. You wanted to marry her. Well, that baby is part of her.

Tommy: I said it's got nothing to do with me.

Sam: She'll grow up in an orphanage. None of us want that, do we?

Tommy: It's got nothing to do with me.

Village. Hadley is walking past a past of common ground in front of the church. A group of boys are playing cricket, using a prosthetic arm as a makeshift bat.

Boy: Grab it!

Boy: I'm bowling.

Boy: You've already played.

Boy: I'm bowling, I'm bowling!

Boy: I'm bowling.

Hadley stops to watch as the boy batting hits the ball with the arm.

Boy: Oh, what?

Boy: Sixth run!

Boy: Jack, come on!

Hadley approaches the boys, pointing at the arm.

Hadley: Hello! Mind if I have a look at your bat?

The batter drops it and the boys all run.

Hadley: Hey! Wait a minute!

He runs forward, but stops and bends down to pick up the arm, studying it.

Mandy's room. Sam enters and lifts the lid off one of the boxes on the bed to put a pair of gloves in it. She notices a dark brown wig tucked at the bottom of the box.

Kitchen. Sam enters the room, where Adam is going through accounts.

Adam: These figures aren't good. We're just covering costs and no more.

Sam holds up the wig.

Sam: I just found this in Mandy's room. I didn't know she wore a wig, did you?

Foyle's office. Hadley is showing him the prosthetic arm.

Hadley: Said they found it in a disused shed wrapped up in a blanket. Who'd throw away something like that? There aren't enough to go round as it is.

Foyle taps the serial number on the arm.

Foyle: Check that, would you?

Guesthouse. Sam opens the door. Foyle and Hadley are outside.

Foyle: Mr Hains in?

Lounge. Mr Hands is inspecting the arm.

Hains: Nothing to do with me. I wish it was. And if nobody claims it, I'll have it.

Foyle: Right. I see. Because you've been waiting for yours, er, how long?

Sam is watching from the corner as Foyle questions him.

Hains: I got measured up months ago. Every time I ask them what's going on, I get, "Well, you have to wait your turn, Mr Hains. There's a lot of people in the same boat."

He lights a cigarette. Foyle points at the lighter.

Foyle: Have a look at that, please? D'you mind?

Hains hands it over.

Foyle: Thank you. Invicta? Latin?

Adam: That means 'invincible'.

He's standing in the doorway.

Foyle: Right. Er, RWK?

Hains: No idea. Got it from a Yank.

Foyle: Well, since you, er, lied about losing your arm on the Normandy beaches, it'd be a mistake to assume you're telling the truth about this, wouldn't it?

Hains: What d'you mean?

Foyle: Well, if you'd been there, you'd have, er, known it was 3rd Division who landed first on Sword beach, not the 6th, as you agreed the other night.

Hains: It was mayhem. Nobody knew what was going on!

Foyle: Invicta is the, er, motto of the RWK, the Royal West Kents, and this is the Africa Star. You lost your arm at Alamein, didn't you... Mr Cole?

Hains: The name's Hains.

Hadley hands Foyle a ration book.

Foyle: Well, this, er, arm, serial number 3736, was issued to Private Edward Cole, Royal West Kents, April the 2nd. You've been using the name Hains and only wearing this prosthetic during the robberies you committed in the belief that nobody would suspect an amputee.

Hains: No, I dunno what you're talking about. My name is Hains. I've never heard of Edward Cole.

Foyle: Astonishing coincidence, then, that his ration book has just been found in your luggage.

Sam: Sir. There's something else you should see.

She stands up.

Hadley: I'll keep an eye on him, sir.

Foyle follows Sam out.

Kitchen. Sam leads Foyle into the room.

Sam: I found it in Mandy's room.

She opens a cupboard and pulls out the wig.

Sam: Was she his accomplice, do you think?

Foyle: Well, if that were the case, she'd be able to pay the rent, wouldn't she? No, it wasn't her.

Lucy walks in.

Lucy: Afternoon, Sam, Mr Foyle.

Foyle: Mrs Cole. This yours?

He holds up the wig.

Police interview room. Hains sits at the table.

Foyle: Well, no, it's not looking good, because it looks as if, er, you k*lled her after she found out that you and your wife had committed the robberies. No? Er, the men you robbed were all successful businessmen. Is that a coincidence?

Hains: They made money while our lads were dying.

Foyle: Well, Delmont's factory makes parts for tanks. Where would you have been in the western desert without tanks?

Hains: What would you know about that?

Foyle: Well, that much.

Hains: Oh, right. We were on patrol west of the Alamein line. Nobody told us there was minefields out there or what compass bearing we were working on. Nobody told us much. And then the sky lit up. And we thought it was Jerry. And shrapnel was coming down like rain. And in the dark we could hear our sergeant, a big bear of a man, crying for his mother. And then our 25 pounders opened up. And I stood there... the sky turning red, thinking this is what the end of the world'll look like. And in the panic, an order was given to att*ck a machine g*n that had opened up. So we did. And it was our bloody machine g*n. Half the platoon was k*lled. And my mate Alfie took four b*ll*ts in the gut. And I held his hand and I laid him down and he said "Do something, mate. So something." And I pretended I don't know what he's talking about. But he's screaming at me, "Do something." So I took my g*n. And I put it next to his heart. And I pulled the trigger. They told me later I fell on a mine. Doctor, he said it was a miracle it was only my arm I lost. Well, I don't know about that. Because wherever God was that night, he wasn't at Alamein.

He shakes his head.

Later. Lucy is at the interview table.

Lucy: How did you know we were married?

Foyle: I didn't. I could see you were a lot closer than, er, you were pretending to be.

Lucy: How?

Foyle: Little things. Erm, the way you knew he takes sugar in his coffee at dinner the other night.

He sits down opposite her.

Foyle: Why did you k*ll her?

Lucy: I liked Mandy. She was good girl. People let her down, that's right, but it wasn't me.

Foyle: No?

Lucy: No, it was Tommy, her family, this town. They let her down.

Foyle: Your husband thinks the robberies were justified because he was punishing w*r profiteers. Is that the way you see it?

Lucy: Yes. What kind of a world are our boys coming back to? Same old rules. Same old people making all the money.

Foyle: Well, new government. Some people seem to think that's all going to change now.

Lucy: It'll be just the same for the toffs. You won't see them down the dole. I've got a husband to look after. He's crippled now. What was I supposed to do?

Foyle: Doesn't explain the wages robbery. Robbing rich businessmen is one thing, stealing from soldiers is something else entirely. Not your idea?

Hallway. Hadley and a uniformed officer escort Hains along the corridor.

Interview room. Now Hains and Lucy are both sitting at the table.

Hains: We didn't k*ll Mandy and we had no intention of robbing the payroll. We'd never have got involved in anything like that. He blackmailed us into it.

Hadley stands listening as Foyle leads the questioning.

Foyle: Who?

Hains: Sergeant Calhoun. After Delmont, we thought we'd do one more robbery, then move on. We'd been pushing our luck around here. We didn't expect an army Jeep, not on that road. He held a g*n to my wife's head. There was nothing I could do about it. And he had a proposition. He'd make sure there was trouble, a brawl, and whilst everyone was distracted, we'd rob the payroll. He said we'd get our fair share. It was simple, really. But we didn't see Mandy that night and that is the God's honest truth.

Foyle: And why would I believe that?

Lucy: She said there was a soldier at the base who could pull some strings, um, help her and Gabe get permission to marry quickly. But I don't think the favour was gonna come free of charge.

Foyle: And she didn't say who this was?

Lucy: No. But I've got a pretty good idea. Calhoun. Who else?

Major Wesker's office. Hadley escorts Calhoun into the office, where Foyle is watching.

Foyle: Er, we've got two people at the station who'll testify that you set up the wages robbery.

Calhoun: Who?

Foyle: That's insulting my intelligence. And there's enough circumstantial evidence to link you to the m*rder.

Calhoun: I didn't k*ll anybody.

Foyle: Well, it certainly doesn't look like that. Any jury's going to see that you despised this girl because she slept with a black GI. You offered her help in exchange for sexual favours. You strangled her when she refused. And you forced Private Kelly to confess to your crime by threatening him with the thing he cares most about, his daughter. And if they don't hang you for it, I'll be very surprised.

Calhoun: That isn't what happened.

Foyle: What do I care? For the likes of you, it's a fairly satisfactory result. So, if you're gonna tell me what did happen, it had better be good.

A building on base. Wesker is sh**ting hoops with a basketball in the otherwise empty building.

Outside. Foyle approaches the building. As he reaches the doorway, Wesker turns to face him.

Wesker: Done with my office?

Foyle: I have.

Wesker: And you're done with Sergeant Calhoun?

Foyle: I have. And you won't be surprised to hear that he's not gonna take responsibility for the m*rder you committed. It was you she came to for help, wasn't it? Wasn't it?

Wesker: Yeah. Yeah. She was desperate to get in the States. Be part of a family. She was a pretty girl. What's a guy supposed to do?

Flashback to Major Wesker's quarters, night. Calhoun approaches Wesker's quarters and knocks on the door. Wesker opens it in his undershirt.

Wesker: What is it?

Calhoun: We need to know when the payroll is arriving, the exact time.

Mandy is visible in the bathroom behind him.

Wesker: Well, I'll let you know as soon I can. You just make sure that diversion happens when we need it.

Calhoun: What is she doing here?

Wesker: Never mind. Just make sure those guys know what they're doing, all right?

Calhoun: Does she know anything?

Wesker: Sergeant, she won't be a problem, all right? Trust me, she won't.

Calhoun leaves.

Wesker (voiceover): Yeah, I strung her along. I took advantage.

Wesker closes the door.

Cut back to the present.

Wesker: I had no intention of signing Kelly's affidavit because I knew it couldn't work. I was doing them a favour, really.

Flashback to Mandy leaving the bathroom and heading for her clothes to get dressed.

Wesker: Where do you think you're going? Come back to bed.

Mandy: I've got to leave.

Wesker: No, no, you don't. You have to come back to bed.

Mandy: You do what you promised. Give us permission to marry now, right?

Wesker: Well, I will if you... if you come back to bed.

Mandy: I did what you asked. Now you have to stick to your part of the bargain, all right?

Wesker: Really? And if I don't? Look, I got what I want. Why should I?

Mandy: We just want to be a family. Why can't we do that? Why is everyone trying to stop us?

Wesker: Oh, come on!

Mandy: I heard what you said about the payroll. I'm not stupid. I know what you're gonna do. I'll tell the police. I will.

Wesker: Are you threatening me now?

Mandy: You just make sure that Gabe and I get our fresh start in New York.

Cut back to the present.

Foyle: And she didn't die in the woods, did she?

Wesker: No. No, she didn't.

Flashback to Wesker's quarters. He watches Mandy getting dressed in the bathroom. As she puts her scarf around her neck he comes up behind her and begins to strangle her with it.

Later. Wesker is leaving the base in a Jeep.

Wesker (voiceover): I waited till everyone was on their way to the fight. Smuggled her out. And I dumped her body in the woods.

Flashback to Wesker laying Mandy's body down on the ground.

Wesker (voiceover): I figured by the time they found her, I'd be long gone.

Cut back to the present.

Wesker: Back home. New life.

Foyle: Well, for someone, er, who doesn't want to be a nobody, we're not gonna forget you in a hurry.

Wesker: I never intended for anyone to die, detective. Really, I didn't. I just wanted something at the end of this, just something for myself. Is that really too much to ask? After all we've been through, I... Is it?

Foyle turns away to where Hadley is arriving outside in a covered Jeep full of m*llitary police. They get out and approach Wesker, and after a moment, he goes over to get into the Jeep with them. Foyle and Hadley watch the Jeep drive away.

Army base, later. A group of black GIs are boarding trucks with their kitbags. Gabe stands in front of the truck, looking back. Paul is helping others climb up behind him.

Paul: We're getting outta here. Let's go. Gabe, we're shipping out. Let's go! Gabe, come on. We gotta move. Let's go.

Gabe stays where he is. He sees Foyle's car approaching, shoves his kitbag onto the back of the truck, and turns towards the car. Sam is in the passenger seat, and Mrs Philips and her male partner are in the back. Sam gets out with the baby and brings her over to Gabe.

Sam: Here she is.

Gabe sighs happily as he takes the baby from her.

Gabe: Thanks, Sam. I didn't think I'd see her again.

Sam: I just happen to know someone with friends in high places.

Foyle is still standing back beside the car, watching the two of them.

The baby gurgles, and Gabe looks down at her.

Gabe: Oh. I'm going now, but don't you worry, I'll be back to take you home as soon as I can. You hear me, Catherine Kelly?

The two welfare officers stand watching from a distance.

Paul: Gabe? We gotta go.

Gabe: You take good care of her now.

Sam nods. Tommy Duggan comes up behind her.

Tommy: You don't need to do that. I'll take her. Jimmy and his wife will help me look after her until you get back. If that's what you want, of course.

Gabe: Okay. I'll come back when I get my discharge.

Tommy: She'll be waiting for you.

Gabe hands the baby over to him, and Gabe climbs aboard the truck. He gives Foyle a nod. Sam heads back over to join Foyle by the car. As the truck drives off, Gabe waves from the back. Sam and Foyle watch him go.

Sam: It's gonna be different now, isn't it? The country, I mean.

Foyle: Well, let's hope so.

Gabe's truck drives away.