01x18 - Weapons of Class Destruction

Episode transcripts for the TV show "Veronica Mars". Aired September 2004 - July 2019.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

After Veronica's father is removed as county Sheriff and best friend is m*rder*d, she helps her father as a PI cracking the toughest mysteries in the fictional town of Neptune, California.

01x18 - Weapons of Class Destruction

Post by bunniefuu »

VERONICA VOICEOVER: Previously on Veronica Mars�

At the rehab centre, as Veronica signs the cheque, Lianne tries to stop her (from 116 "Betty and Veronica").

LIANNE: I can do this. I can kick this on my own. There is nothing twelve weeks in here can do that I can't do myself.
VERONICA: I want you to come home. I miss you.

At Mars Investigations, Veronica slams shut her laptop to stop Logan from seeing more (from 117 "Kanes and Abel's").

LOGAN: God, Veronica.
VERONICA: I don't know what you saw.
LOGAN: A file on Duncan.

Later at Mars Investigations, Veronica and Keith discuss the Lilly Kane m*rder from the same episode.

VERONICA: Obviously Jake and Celeste lied about their alibis. What made you think they were involved in covering up Lilly's death?

Flashback to Keith at the Kanes on the night of the m*rder as he hears the buzzer of the dryer from the same episode.

KEITH: Doing some laundry?

The camera focuses in turn on each of the Kanes. Switch back to Keith.

KEITH: Honey, it was a soccer uniform I found in the dryer.

End previously. Open outside the front door of the Mars apartment. Veronica and Leo are kissing. They break, Leo's hands still resting on Veronica's waist, hers on his arms.

LEO: Any chance I'm ever gonna get to see the inside of your apartment?
VERONICA: And what, exactly, are you hoping to see? Our good china, the screening room?
LEO: Wanted to get a really good long look at your bedroom ceiling.
VERONICA: Wow! College girls must be easy.
LEO: This is my 'A' material. They swoon.
VERONICA: My dad's home. I saw his car outside.
LEO: But he's cool with us, right?
VERONICA: Like, has he made a couple of remarks about the 29 month age difference? He has. On the other hand, he likes the fact that you carry a g*n. Not so much that he's okay to sleepover but, yeah, he likes you.

Leo gently strokes Veronica's hair.

LEO: I'll call ya tomorrow.
VERONICA: Later, deputy.
LEO: Later.

Leo exits and Veronica enters the apartment. She sees Keith.

VERONICA: Ah, the pretend-to-be-digging-in-the-fridge-rather-than-spying-on-your-daughter ploy. Bravo.
KEITH: Veronica, we need to talk.
VERONICA: [In southern drawl] He's a fine gentleman, pa. He'll come up with the dowry to marry me, just you wait.
KEITH: But seriously, folks. Sit down.

Veronica plonks herself down on the stool at the kitchen counter.

KEITH: I know how uncomfortable you are with the idea of me dating and I've done everything in my power to respect that, but�your mom's been gone for over a year now.
VERONICA: [Worried] You met someone?
KEITH: I have. But I didn't want to say anything until I was sure I had feelings for this person. A-Alicia and I talked about it and-
VERONICA: [Shocked] What? Who? Alicia? [Incredulous] Wallace's mom?

Cut to the Fennel house. Wallace jerks up from leaning over the bathroom sink, toothbrush still in his mouth. He is horrified.

WALLACE: Say what?
ALICIA: Well, from your reaction I'd say your heard me just fine.

Cut back to an open mouthed Veronica. Opening credits. Scene opens at Neptune High. Wallace and Veronica are sitting at one of the outside tables. They are not comfortable with each other and are silence for an age.

VERONICA: On the bright side, if our parents get hitched, we could have bunk beds and stay up all night talking.
WALLACE: [Not amused] You're truly sick.
VERONICA: I've always wanted a little brother I could dress up like a little doll.
WALLACE: Yeah? See how that works out for you.

Wallace stacks his books and st*lks off. Veronica watches him go, a sad look on her face. As she looks down at the table, she sees someone has written "KillemAll.net" on it. She looks a little concerned and glances around. Cut to Duncan entering the journalism class. Veronica is already there, seated at the large central table. Duncan smiles and touches her arm as he passes her, heading around the top of the table. Veronica watches him.

VERONICA VOICEOVER: Dear Seventeen Magazine. How can I tell if the super cute boy in my class likes me?

Duncan has reached the top of the table where Logan is sitting on the table. They exchange playful punches. Veronica continues to muse as her eyes follow Duncan.

VERONICA VOICEOVER: No. Scratch that. Dear Seventeen. How can I tell if the super cute boy in my class k*lled his own sister?
MS STAFFORD: [Offscreen, clapping] Come on, buckaroos.

At the front of the class is the new, extremely chirpy, journalism teacher, Ms Stafford.

MS STAFFORD: We're burning daylight here.

Veronica glances at Duncan with a bit of an eyeroll. The corners of Logan's mouth turn up and Duncan stares at Ms Stafford sceptically.

MS STAFFORD: [Offscreen] So a new edition of the "Navigator" comes out tomorrow and we're still short on articles.

Logan takes his seat at the top of the table, next to Veronica.

MS STAFFORD: Let's do something fun.

Logan shares a conspiratorial grin with Veronica.

DUNCAN: How about something on oxycontin replacing ecstasy as the drug of choice for high school students.

Veronica nods at Duncan, impressed.

MS STAFFORD: I'm sure your parents don't want to read about dr*gs at the school where they sent their precious little ones.
VERONICA: I'm sorry. I thought the newspaper was for the students.
MS STAFFORD: Where's your Pirate Pride, y'all, lots of good stuff happens here.

Veronica looks a little depressed and sighs, Duncan leans back in his chair, disgusted and Logan just keeps grinning.

MS STAFFORD: [Offscreen] Did you know that Madame Rousseau's been teaching French here for forty years now? [Onscreen] Maybe someone could do an in-depth profile.
LOGAN: A loving tribute to a sadistic crone.

The students, including Veronica, laugh.

MS STAFFORD: The janitors work so hard and no one even pays attention to them. Maybe we could do something on them?
STUDENT: [Snidely] Maybe.

Further discussion is cut short by the fire alarm. Duncan throw his hands up.

DUNCAN: Oh, what is with these fire drills? This is the third one this week.
LOGAN: [Quietly, to Veronica] Maybe we should do a story on oxycontin use in the administration office.

Veronica laughs again.
MS STAFFORD: Okay, Pirates. Single file. Straight line. At the front of the room, Ms Stafford is handling the drill in pep squad manner, a fact not lost on Logan. He jumps up enthusiastically.

LOGAN: Heads up, chests out, big smiles. Ready? Okay.

The students file out. In the corridor, Veronica leads Duncan, Logan, the other students out as Ms Stafford catches up with her.

MS STAFFORD: You know what? There's a good story for you, the fire drills.
VERONICA: A fire drill story! Someone alert the Pulitzer Committee.
MS STAFFORD: You'll find a way to make it interesting. I believe in you.

Duncan, close behind them, smiles. Ms Stafford rushes on ahead as Duncan pulls next to Veronica.

DUNCAN: Not exactly Ms Dent, is she?
VERONICA: Not even close. She was overly peppy as my pep squad advisor, as a journalism teacher, she's a nightmare.
DUNCAN: Lots of stories about bake sales and blue ribbons.
VERONICA: Why, oh, why did Ms Dent let herself get knocked up?

Cut to Mr Clemmons at the open drawer of a filing cabinet.

VERONICA: [Offscreen, in hard-nosed journalist mode] So what's the skinny on the fire drills, Mr C? Faulty hotplate in the faculty lounge?

As Clemmons digests the less-than-welcome questions, the camera pans out to reveal Veronica sitting in front of his desk.

VERONICA: Gremlin gumming up the works?
CLEMMONS: No, we're simply following the district-wide policy for mid-semester fire drills. We've let ourselves get a bit behind.
VERONICA: Really? Because if memory serves, it was like one or two a year. There have been three this week alone.
CLEMMONS: [Closing the drawer and heading back to his desk] I'm sorry there's not a more entertaining explanation. It's just district policy. [Sitting] Now if you'll excuse me, I have some paperwork to catch up on.

He looks at her impatiently. Veronica exits. Cut to Ms Stafford at her desk in the journalism room. Veronica enters.

MS STAFFORD: How's the story coming?
VERONICA: I'm blowing the lid off the fire safety policy. Hey, do you know how I can find out what the official district mandate is?
MS STAFFORD: Have you spoken to Miss Roush? She's the Assistant Superintendent; she's definitely your source. [Checking her notebook] Um, I think I've got her number. Here.
VERONICA: [Pointing to the phone on Ms Stafford's desk] May I?
MS STAFFORD: Of course.

Ms Stafford leaves Veronica to it. She perches on the desk and dials. The phone is answered by a woman with a distinctive, raspy voice.

MISS ROUSH: Ellen Roush.
VERONICA: Miss Roush, this is Veronica Mars. I'm doing an article for the "Navigator", the school paper at Neptune High.
MISS ROUSH: How can I help you?
VERONICA: I just wanted to clarify something. How many fire drills does the district mandate each semester?
MISS ROUSH: Just one is our policy.

Cut to Veronica in a school hall empty save for Corny, who is staring blankly into his locker.

VERONICA: Something wrong, Corny?
CORNY: Yeah, I came to get something out of my locker but I can't remember what it was. Mmrraa. [Turning to Veronica] Hey I was thinking of busting out of here. Maybe go to White Castle. Wanna come with?
VERONICA: There's no White Castle in Neptune.
CORNY: It's kind of an expression.

Veronica looks up, over Corny's shoulder, at the sounds of doors opening.

CORNY: What's wrong?

Corny looks round to see a security man with a dog entering the school.

CORNY: Oh, crap!

Corny takes a small bag of what is obviously illegal substances from his locker and sticks it down the front of his trousers. He closes his locker and, scared shitless, walks away from the thr*at only to walk straight into two more security men with dogs.

VARIOUS SECURITY: Here. Okay, well, I'll check that door.

Much to his relief, they ignore him as they pass on either side of him.

VARIOUS SECURITY: How's she holding up?

Veronica is intrigued and takes photos of the security men. Cut to Clemmons office.

CLEMMONS' ASSISTANT: Excuse me, Mr Clemmons? [Pointing to the phone on his desk] That's Ellen Roush from the district office.

Clemmons is uncomfortable as he picks up the phone.

CLEMMONS: Hello.
TELEPHONE: Van, I received a call from a very pushy student of yours who's doing a newspaper story.
CLEMMONS: Yes, I know the girl that you're talking about. She should never have called you.
TELEPHONE: Well, she did and she has quite a fresh attitude.
CLEMMONS: Yes. I spend half my waking hours trying to keep her out of my hair.
TELEPHONE: Mr Clemmons, she gave me the impression that you've been exceeding your fire drill limits.
CLEMMONS: No, uh, look, I've been trying to keep this under my hat but we have had a series of b*mb threats and as a precautionary measure, I brought in the b*mb squad.

Cut to the other end of the conversation. It's Veronica in the journalism room, imitating Ms Roush.

VERONICA: Well that's very disturbing news, Mr Clemmons. Please let us know if there's anything we can do.

Veronica cuts off the phone and ponders. Cut to a mock up of the front page of the "Neptune High School Navigator". The headline reads: b*mb Threats Force Evacuations. It is set against a graphic of a clock and dynamite upon which the headline and two photos, one of the security men and their dogs, the other of students pouring out of the school, are superimposed. It has some editing marks in red. Ms Stafford is holding it, sitting at the large table in the journalism room. Veronica and Duncan are standing behind her, on either side of her.

MS STAFFORD: You're positive about this, Veronica.
VERONICA: Mr Clemmons confirmed it. It's accurate.
MS STAFFORD: But is it responsible?
DUNCAN: This is exactly what newspapers are supposed to do.
MS STAFFORD: Then what are we waiting for? We're burning daylight here.

Cut to after the publication of the "Navigator". Students are reading about it, talking about it, worried about it and Veronica catches various conversations as she heads down the hallway.

VARIOUS STUDENTS: It's crazy. Are you kidding me, I mean, is this supposed to be real? Dude, it's right on the front page. Are you staying? Are you kidding me? I'm going home. I'd rather not be here when the school blows up. I'm going with you. Dude, this is serious.
WALLACE: You won't believe how insane the administration office is.

Wallace comes up behind her.

WALLACE: Phones ringing off the hook. Parents going off on Clemmons. He wants to see you in his office, by the way.
VERONICA: He does? I'm beginning to think he has a crush on me.

Cut to the newspaper headline which is dropped to reveal a very unhappy Clemmons, tearing a strip off Veronica and Ms Stafford.

CLEMMONS: Let me be clear as I explain something. The Neptune "Navigator" is not the "Washington Post". You don't have carte blanche to print whatever you choose.
MS STAFFORD: Was story inaccurate?
CLEMMONS: That's not the issue.
VERONICA: It's not?
CLEMMONS: No, it's not. Our very real duty to protect the student body trumps your non-existent right to a free student press.
MS STAFFORD: But Mr Clemmons, isn't a newspaper supposed to be-
CLEMMONS: And what exactly is your journalism background, Ms Stafford?
MS STAFFORD: I was on my high school year book staff.
CLEMMONS: Then what do you say we play to our strengths and stick to pictures of smiling kids engaged in the multitude of enriching activities that Neptune has to offer. And Veronica, who was this highly placed source in the administration that confirmed your story?
VERONICA: Um, that would be you.
CLEMMONS: I most certainly was not.
VERONICA: [Imitating Ellen Roush again] Mr Clemmons, the fresh girl gave me the impression you had been exceeding your fire drill limits.

Clemmons leans back in his chair, appalled.

VERONICA: Where are the threats coming from anyway, a student?
CLEMMONS: Veronica, I did not invite you in here for a follow up interview. This is a disciplinary meeting. You should feel lucky that you're not suspended.
VERONICA: Maybe you'd be doing me a favour.
CLEMMONS: And Ms Stafford. You need to use better judgement in the future. No more stories on this subject. Am I understood?
MS STAFFORD: Completely.
CLEMMONS: I may have made a mistake in allowing a pep squad advisor to substitute for a journalism teacher.

Cut to Veronica's English class. Mrs Murphy paces a room that includes Norris Clayton and, seated next to him, Ben, who is drawing in a notebook.

MRS MURPHY: Who would like to compare the character of the three Karamazov brothers? I'd like to hear from someone who hasn't spoken today. Ben?
BEN: I didn't read it. I thought maybe I'd wait for the mini-series.

Veronica looks over at him.

MRS MURPHY: I don't know where you expect to end up in life with your attitude, Ben.
BEN: Well, I wouldn't worry about it Mrs Murphy. It doesn't matter. In the end we all wind up in the same place. Six feet under.

The class fills with whispered responses as Ben glances at an approving Norris. Veronica is not so impressed and stares hard at him. She then looks up and sees another student, Pete, who shakes his head. Cut to the Mars apartment. Veronica gets two cans of drinks from the fridge and walks uncomfortably back towards her room. She is uncomfortable because Keith and Alicia are sitting close to each other on the couch, Keith's arm around Alicia, watching an old black and white movie, "Storm Warning" on tv.

TV: "And that doesn't include your plan. Your plan m*rder*d him, you know." "It was an accident. We're all sorry about it. You have to think of all the good that came out of it�"

In Veronica's room, Wallace is pacing.

WALLACE: What's happening?
VERONICA: [Handing Wallace one of the cans] They're still watching a movie. He has his arm around her.
WALLACE: Uh, he's not�groping her or anything, is he?
VERONICA: [Retaliating] No, but earlier I saw him cutting a hole in the bottom of his popcorn bucket.
WALLACE: That's not funny.
VERONICA: Yeah, well my dad's not a groper.
WALLACE: Do you think they're serious? What does your dad say?
VERONICA: That's the good thing. We don't have to worry. It won't last long. It can't.
WALLACE: What does that mean?
VERONICA: My mom's in rehab. When she gets cleaned up, she's coming home.
WALLACE: And where does my mom fit into that plan?

Veronica shrugs.

WALLACE: So, I guess she's just a placeholder then? Somebody to keep your dad from being lonely until the woman who dumped him decides she's ready to come back?
VERONICA: What do you expect me to say, Wallace? This is my family. Two minutes ago, you didn't want them dating either.
WALLACE: Yeah, I probably wish Mom would've found a guy who wasn't my best friend's dad, but�Mom hasn't found a decent guy since my dad d*ed and if she's just gonna get b*rned, I need to tell her right now.
VERONICA: You can't.
WALLACE: Why not.
VERONICA: Wallace, wait, do me a favour and just wait a few weeks.
WALLACE: I gotta say, Veronica. I'm getting a little tired of doing you favours.

Unhappy and angry, Wallace heads out to the living room. He stares for a moment at Keith and Alicia, comfortably cosy together.

TV: "You always said that what happened to one of us happened to us all." "Get away from me."
ALICIA: [Softly] She's like the, the private witness.
KEITH: I don't know.
TV: "�figure it out Bits�"
WALLACE: Hey, we need to get going.
TV: "Think it over."
ALICIA: Honey, we're still watching the movie.

Keith and Alicia look up at him, surprised.

WALLACE: It's getting kind of late.
TV: "Oh, Hank, Hank."

Alicia glances up at Keith, both understanding.

ALICIA: Okay.

Cut to Alicia and Wallace walking outside, heading for the car.

ALICIA: Did you and Veronica have a fight?
WALLACE: No.
ALICIA: I know this is uncomfortable for you. But I'm counting on you to be mature about this.

Stopping at the car..

WALLACE: I am. I'm just looking out for you.
ALICIA: Well, you don't have to, 'cause I'm a big girl.
WALLACE: Yeah, I do. There's something you need to know.
ALICIA: Wallace.
WALLACE: Just listen.
ALICIA: I don't want to hear it.
WALLACE: Well you need to hear it.
ALICIA: No, I don't. What I need is for you to see how happy I am. This is the first time that I actually feel at home in this town. Keith is a very good man and that is all I need to know right now. Let me have this. Please.

Cut to Veronica at school, walking down the hallway. She can hear Pete's voice and on rounding the door, can see Pete in deep discussion with Mac. She waits a bit before interrupting.

PETE: Wait, how can you even have an opinion on Ubuntu if you haven't tried it? Two six kernel, Live CD, they even had GNOME 2.O the day Warty Warthog came out.
MAC: I'm sorry. I'm perfectly content with OS X. I have all the awk/grep-ance that I want without any need for that pitiful font de-uglification.
PETE: But the fonts are de-uglified and it's free. You know, fine, you know, live in the dark ages.
MAC: I know what I like and I like what I know.
VERONICA: Hey, that iPod Mini is something else, isn't it?
MAC: Hi, Veronica.
VERONICA: Hey. I'm sorry to interrupt. Mac, would you mind taking a look at my computer? I can't get it to boot up.
MAC: Sure, um, could I take it with me though, I gotta boogie.
VERONICA: Yeah, everything important is password protected.
MAC: Like I really care who you have a crush on.

Mac exits.

PETE: Hey, Veronica, can I talk to you about something.
VERONICA: Yeah, sure.
PETE: I have some information for you. Confidential information.
VERONICA: My favourite kind.
PETE: It's about your story, about the b*mb threats.
VERONICA: Yeah?
PETE: Well, it got me thinking. The other day I was riding my bike to school and I passed by this vacant lot and I saw Norris and that new kid, Ben. They were throwing tennis balls at stray cats.
VERONICA: Uncool, but�I don't get it.
PETE: [Dramatically] The tennis balls were exploding.

Veronica closes her locker and waits as Wallace arrives and opens his.

VERONICA: Hey, last night, you said something. Am I really your best friend?
WALLACE: Who else you seen around?

Veronica smiles broadly.

WALLACE: [Without looking at her and smiling despite himself] Quit smiling at me.

Veronica lets out a soft laugh. Looking beyond Wallace, she sees Ben and Norris.

VERONICA: Hey, what do you think of this new kid, Ben? Heard anything?
WALLACE: You're unbelievable.
VERONICA: Why? What makes you say that?
WALLACE: 'Cause you want me to go get his file, don't you?

Veronica smiles guiltily.

WALLACE: You're so predictable.
VERONICA: It's for the greater good, Wallace. Doesn't he look like total b*mb thr*at material.
WALLACE: I'd check out his friend. Clemmons made him turn his shirt inside out.
VERONICA: Why? What'd it say?
WALLACE: "k*ll 'em all. Let God sort 'em out."

Wallace shuts his locker and leaves as Veronica continues to watch Ben and Norris. Cut to Veronica at a computer. She pulls up KillemAll.net. To the accompaniment of a demonic laugh, the screen shows a countdown.

VERONICA VOICEOVER: Forty six hours, fifteen minutes�until what?

Cut to lunch. Wallace is at a table with some of the other basketball players. Veronica, at a table by herself, watches, in a bit of a hump. Duncan and Meg pass and on seeing Veronica, Meg brings them to a stop.

MEG: Veronica's sitting by herself.
DUNCAN: No, Meg.
MEG: Come on, be nice.

Virtually dragging Duncan behind her, Meg approaches Veronica.

MEG: Hey, you mind if we�
VERONICA: Yeah, sit. Carlita, Biff, Rocco, make some room. Imaginary friends.

Meg sits next to Veronica. Duncan sits opposite Veronica but will not look at her and is clearly very unhappy.

MEG: So the whole school is talking about your article. You think the threats are real?
VERONICA: Let's hope not. Ice cold fries, anyone?

Veronica smiles at Duncan who resolutely refuses to look at her or engage.

MEG: No, thanks. So, ar-are you working on any interesting cases with your father?
VERONICA: Well, that Maltese Falcon is still eluding us, but I'm not allowed to talk about the cases. A confidentiality thing.
MEG: Duh. Course.

Meg laughs. Veronica looks over at Duncan and comes to a decision.

VERONICA: You know, there is one case that's sort of interesting. I'll just leave out the names. Successful entertainment attorney, divorced his wife, owed her like half a million dollars in alimony and child support money, literally erased himself off the face of the earth.
MEG: How do you go about doing that?
VERONICA: First, you get your hands on all the cash you can. Using cash is key. Ditch your cell phone for a pre-paid jobber, move around in a rental car paid for with a debit/credit card and a fake driver's license, cross over the border if possible. If you're really adventurous, you buy an old passport off eBay and do an extreme makeover on it.
DUNCAN: Excuse me.

Duncan picks up his books and walks away.

VERONICA: Ah, the shop talk buzz k*ll.
MEG: It's not you. He's been acting weird all day. Well, I'll catch you later.

Meg exits. Veronica looks over to another table, where Norris and Ben are in deep conversation.

VERONICA VOICEOVER: Ben and Norris. Is it possible these two are just biding their time, waiting for the moment they can blow the school sky high? Norris earned his reputation as a thug and bully back in junior high.

Flashback. Post-Lilly, pre-r*pe Veronica is staring at Duncan, sitting at an 09er table with Logan. A spitball lands on the book open in front of Veronica. She brushes it away and look at another 09er table next to Duncan from where the spitball has come. Another boy from that table blows another spitball, this one landing in her hair. She runs her fingers through her hair, trying to get rid of it .

VERONICA VOICEOVER: But, I have seen another side.

Norris approaches the 09er table. He takes the loaded straw of the one who last taunted Veronica and spits the ball into the 09er's face. Norris drops the straw, leans over the table and glares. The 09er leaves. Norris looks over at Veronica and smiles a little. She responds in gratitude. Cut back to present.

VERONICA VOICEOVER: So let's check in, see where his head space is these days.

Veronica approaches Norris and Ben.

VERONICA: Hi. I'm doing a poll for the Neptune "Navigator".
BEN: [Sarcastic] Wow, how vital.
NORRIS: What's the question?
VERONICA: Okay. World w*r III starts tomorrow. You can share your b*mb shelter with three other people. Who would they be?
BEN: You know what? I actually think I'd be a casualty of w*r so I don't think the question really applies to me.
NORRIS: Bruce Lee, Joe Strummer, Sam Kinison.
VERONICA: They're all dead. Okay, other.

In the school hall, Wallace catches up with Veronica.

WALLACE: You could have sat with me.
VERONICA: I thought you were making a point.
WALLACE: I wasn't. There's no school file on Ben.
VERONICA: Strange.
WALLACE: Maybe he's too new. [Pulling it from under his jacket] I got you Norris's file.
VERONICA: You're saintly.
WALLACE: I get the top bunk.

Veronica inspects the file. She frowns.

VERONICA: Suspended for violent behaviour a bunch in middle school but that's what I thought. But nothing since high school.
WALLACE: Maybe he's trying to keep his record clean. 'Cause he's planning something big.
VERONICA: That's scary. [Genuinely] Hey, Wallace, thanks. For what it's worth, you're my best friend too.
WALLACE: I'm glad you found your mom and got her some help. Should have told you that sooner.
VERONICA: I should have told you that sooner.

They bond. Cut to Veronica as she enters the darkened journalism room. Duncan is staring at a computer screen. He turns his head slightly to see who has entered and then turns back to looking at the screen. Veronica leans against the central table.

VERONICA: That was either a really poor warm welcome or an excellent cold shoulder.
DUNCAN: Logan told me you've been carrying on your own investigation of Lilly's m*rder. That you have files of everyone in your computer.
VERONICA: That's true.
DUNCAN: Is there a file on me?
VERONICA: There's a file on everyone who was connected with Lilly.
DUNCAN: What does mine say?

He turns to look at her.

VERONICA: It says that you have Type IV epilepsy, that you have mood swings, violent outbursts, that you're taking medication.
DUNCAN: How do you know that?
VERONICA: Doesn't matter.
DUNCAN: It does matter. [Standing, angry] You've been prying into my private life. If I wanted you or anyone else to know about that, I would have told them. Who the hell do you think you are?

Duncan storms off but doesn't make the door before Veronica speaks.

VERONICA: I am Lilly's best friend.

He turns back to look at her again. Their voices are increasingly loud as they argue.

DUNCAN: Lilly is dead, her k*ller is in jail.
VERONICA: Abel Koontz didn't k*ll Lilly.
DUNCAN: He confessed.
VERONICA: He was paid to confess.
DUNCAN: Oh my god. I mean, do you even hear yourself? Who would pay?

Duncan turns to go again but then stops as he realisation strikes him.

DUNCAN: Us. Of course. You think someone in my family paid him. Now why would they do that, Veronica?
VERONICA: I don't know.
DUNCAN: To protect�me?

Again he goes to leave the room until stopped short by Veronica's next question.

VERONICA: Do you remember what happened that day?

He is slow to turn around.

DUNCAN: [Quietly] You think I k*lled Lilly. [Much louder, very angry and upset] How could you think that, even for a second?

Duncan has marched right up to Veronica.

VERONICA: Duncan, calm down.
DUNCAN: [Screaming] What, do you think I'm gonna have another episode and k*ll you too?

Veronica is shocked by not more so than Duncan, who blinks and becomes confused and terrified. He runs out of the room. Cut to Veronica, very thoughtful, as she comes back out to the lunch area. She can hear Norris and Ben have their own argument.

NORRIS: All you talk about is g*ns. All you're talking about here is death, heavy metal music and bombs and stuff like that.
BEN: It's no big deal. Just relax.
NORRIS: But I can't keep hanging out with you if you're gonna keep doing that.
BEN: Fine.
NORRIS: Fine.
BEN: Fine.

Ben leaves Norris at the table. Veronica follows Ben.

VERONICA VOICEOVER: A girl must prioritise. Wallowing in the grief of betraying an ex-boyfriend or following the guy most likely to blow up Neptune High.

Ben gets in his car and Veronica hurries to get into hers.

VERONICA VOICEOVER: Hell, give me a stick of gum to chew and I'll do all three at once.

She pulls out. Cut to her parked outside the Camelot.

VERONICA VOICEOVER: The Camelot Motel, premium accommodations for adulterers and rent by the half-hour hookers. Now it appears to be the destination of choice for teen Kazinski.

Veronica takes pictures as Ben comes out of the motel and gets in his car. She slides down in her seat as he passes her. Cut to a large car park at a garden centre. Ben is seen with a trolley-load of fertilizer, heading for his car. He loads the back of his vehicle as Veronica watches and snaps. In the course of loading, Ben moves a large g*n.

VERONICA VOICEOVER: Oh my god.

Veronica snaps away until her cell phone rings. She puts down the camera, glances at the caller ID and gives a wry grin.

VERONICA: Yeah?

Logan is outside the school.

LOGAN: Hey, it's Logan. Hey, uh, just a-a heads up for you. Duncan knows about your files.
VERONICA: He knows because you told him.
LOGAN: [Uncomfortable but laughing] Well, yeah, I mean, what was I supposed to do? He's my best friend.
VERONICA: Yeah, well, he took my head off. You would have loved it. Have you talked to him since school let out?

Veronica is startled by the sound of her passenger door opening. She gasps, seeing a g*n in Ben's belt and drops the phone.

VERONICA: [Loudly] Oh my god, what do you think you're doing?
BEN: Let's go for a ride.

Logan is still listening. Cut to Veronica's car pulling out and then into the car.

BEN: Make a left at the next stop.
VERONICA: Where are we going?
BEN: Well, you should know. You must have followed me there.
VERONICA: The Camelot?
BEN: Yep. I'll say this, Veronica. You're a pesky one. You're screwing everything up.
VERONICA: Listen, I really think you're making a mistake, I don't know anything.
BEN: Quiet. I-I-I need to think for a minute.

Cut to the Camelot. Ben has a firm grip on Veronica's arm and, though she is reluctant, forces Veronica up the steps to the balconly of the motel second level.

VERONICA: My dad's a private detective. If I don't check with him after school, he freaks. There will be people looking for me, armed people.
BEN: I wanna show you something.

Without slowing, Ben reaches into his back pocket.

VERONICA: Why can't we do it someplace public. Frappacino anyone, my treat?

They've reached the balcony, Ben still firmly holding Veronica.

BEN: I know you think you're being a hero, but a lot of people might die 'cause of you.

Logan, waiting at the top, behind the corner made by a room, punches Ben, who never saw it coming. Ben goes down and Veronica is thrown forward. The wallet that Ben retrieved from his pocket is also thrown forward. As Logan grabs the supine Ben and punches him a couple more times, Veronica looks at the wallet.

VERONICA: Logan, stop.

Logan stops and Veronica holds out the wallet which is in fact a badge.

VERONICA: He's a federal agent.

Cut to a room in the motel. Ben is gingerly touching his jaw, seated on the bed. Logan is watching him like a cat from the corner, flexing his used fist. Ben looks at him and Logan, glancing in at Veronica wetting a towel in the bathroom, moves to another corner. Veronica comes out and hands the towel to Ben who holds it up to his busted lip.

VERONICA: You're undercover at Neptune High?
BEN: [Looking at Logan] Is it all right if he goes outside? I'd like to talk to you.
LOGAN: Dream on, Jump Street. I'm not leaving you alone with her.

Veronica walks over to Logan.

VERONICA: [Softly] Logan, he's the real thing. Just give us a minute, all right.

Logan looks a moment longer at Ben, a nasty smirk on his face, then complies.

LOGAN: Fine. Don't close the door all the way. Yeah, I'll be right out here.

Logan exits the room to wait on the balcony. Veronica closes the door behind him but leaves it a little open and returns her attention to Ben.

VERONICA: So why Neptune?
BEN: Well, part of my job at the A*F is monitoring internet traffic. Norris kept a website that was�troubling. We discovered countless emails he'd sent to other students, lots of red-flag words.
VERONICA: Red-flag words?
BEN: Retribution, b*mb, arsenal, g*n show, fertilizer, Waco, Columbine. We think that he's the leader of scores of likeminded misfits who are waiting for his signal to att*ck.
VERONICA: Is this signal a countdown clock?

Ben nods.

VERONICA: If he's such a thr*at, why haven't you brought him in yet? Having too much fun smarting off to teachers, cat k*lling, kidnapping.
BEN: Cat k*lling?
VERONICA: I hear things.
BEN: If there's been any cat k*lling, Norris has acted solo. It makes sense though.

Ben stands and takes the towel back to the bathroom.

BEN: Sociopaths normally get their start taking out their aggression on animals.
VERONICA: Why don't you just pick him up?
BEN: [Leaning against the bathroom door, arms folded] Oh, I will bust him. Be sure of that. I've got more arrests on my record than any A*F agent my age, ever. Failure's not an option.
VERONICA: Wow.
BEN: Problem. If we pick him up now, we can hold him for 48 hours, then we either have to charge him or release him. Now I either need evidence that he's hoarding banned weapons or I need to get my hands on the list of the names of the people he's been corresponding with.
VERONICA: Why are you telling me all this?
BEN: [Fingering his jaw] I need your help. I need you to get close to him.
VERONICA: Isn't that your job?
BEN: I pushed him too hard. Spooked him. Now I'm screwed if I don't get him off the streets by tomorrow. I've been to his house but I haven't been in his bedroom or the garage.
VERONICA: And how do you expect me to swing an invitation to his bedroom and/or his garage?
BEN: Easy. He likes you.
VERONICA: He likes me? "Likes me" likes me?

Ben comes into the room and stops in front of Veronica.

BEN: Yeah, he's mentioned it on more than an few occasions. Veronica, your school needs your help. Your government needs your help. If you need an in, he loves talking about his ancient w*apon collection.

From outside the room, the door opens as Veronica steps out onto the balcony. "Momentary Thing" from Something Happens starts up as she pulls the door to behind her. She walks up to the waiting Logan, the look on her face soft and grateful.

LOGAN: You okay.
VERONICA: Um-hm.

She stands in front of Logan and he leans back against the wall. She pauses and the lyrics kick in.

SONG: She's cutting off her hair again�

Veronica leans forward to kiss him. Wherever she intended, she actually kisses him on the corner of his mouth and Logan instinctively puckers his mouth, surprised. He straightens, staring down at her intently. Veronica, equally surprised, stares back and then shakes her head in disbelief at what she has done.

SONG: �Says "This is all of me".

Veronica turns to walk away. Logan reaches out and takes her arm and as she spins round, he lowers his head to kiss her. She meets him in a long, hard, passionate kiss, their arms pulling each other close, their hands uncertain, the full length of their bodies leaning into each other. The music swells.

SONG: �After all, well, isn't this just a momentary thing It's not like it's permanent or any heavy thing�

They break the kiss and for a brief moment continue to hold each other. They part a little further, Veronica's face is a mix of wonder and disbelief, while Logan's eyes dart over her features as if etching them in his soul.

SONG: �Shut me up, I guess, I guess, I guess�

Logan's hands are on Veronica's waist and as he starts to gently circle his hands, the movement seems to alert him to the uncertainty of her reaction and he drops his hands awkwardly. Veronica is brought to her senses by this and turns, hurrying away. Logan nearly takes a step forward to follow before thinking better of it but his eyes never leave her as she makes her way down to her car.
SONG: �Stirring me up, yes, yes, yes�

At the car, Veronica pauses, looking up at Logan whose stare has lost none of its intensity. With something between a shiver, a shudder and a shrug, Veronica gets in her car and drives out of the motel, Logan gazing after her.

SONG: �'Cause we'll get along, yeah, we'll get along-

Cut to Veronica exiting her car in front of a modest house. She goes up to the door. Cut to the hallway of Norris's home as he and Veronica head for his bedroom.

VERONICA: Thanks for doing this, Norris. My dad's really been struggling with this case.
NORRIS: It's no problem at all.
VERONICA: I brought some pictures of the stolen weapons if that helps.

Veronica is startled to see that Norris's bedroom door is padlocked.

NORRIS: [Unlocking the padlock] My parents are a little nosy.
VERONICA: It's probably more effective than the "Mind Your Own Beeswax" sign I have on my door. Although it does have a picture of an angry kitty on it.

Veronica wrinkles her nose and pulls her hand into a claw. It's lame and she knows it. Norris gets the door open and they both enter his room. A life sized poster of Bruce Lee graces the door. He has weapons all over the room, on the walls, on display stands, leaning against bookcases. Veronica's eyes widen.

NORRIS: So, this is my w*apon collection.
VERONICA: You must feel really safe at night, when the dragons come. Uh, here are the pictures.

Veronica hands Norris a photo album.

NORRIS: Do you, uh, wanna sit down?
VERONICA: Are you kidding? I wanna look at these weapons. They're so pointy.

Norris sits down at his desk, in front of his laptop. He pulls up a page: Dragon Slayer. Veronica is looking at a long sword leaning against the bookcase.

VERONICA: This one's very "Braveheart".
NORRIS: [Chuffed at her recognition] That's a replica of William Wallace's sword. I've seen that movie like 50 times.
VERONICA: A-anything you recognise?
NORRIS: Yeah, the Tachi Sword. I'll write down the price.
VERONICA: [Spotting his computer] Is that wireless?
NORRIS: Yeah. My dad's a programmer over at Kane Software, so we get all the latest technology. We were one of the first household in the country to have Wi-Fi. [Referring to one of the pictures in the album Veronica produced] I have a replica of this. [Pointing to an empty space on the wall behind him] It's, uh, it was right over there but I think it-I think it fell.
VERONICA: I'll look for it.
VERONICA VOICEOVER: Now if I were a pipe b*mb, where would I be?

Veronica moves to the wall, against which Norris's bed rests. She bends down and feels under the bed. She pulls out a magazine. It is "Taut Blonde".

VERONICA VOICEOVER: Great! I'm his type.

She quickly pushes it back under the bed just as it occurs to Norris that he might have things that he wouldn't want her to see. He turns to look at her.

NORRIS: Ah, actually, don't even worry, I'll find it later.
VERONICA VOICEOVER: Maybe he keeps his arsenal in the garage. So how do I get into the garage without playing dungeon with this whack job?

Veronica picks up a throwing star..

NORRIS: Uh, you ever throw one?
VERONICA: Can't say that I have.
NORRIS: I got a target in the garage if you wanna try it.
VERONICA VOICEOVER: Huh. That was easy. I think it, it happens.

Veronica smiles and nods. Norris is thrilled by her interest. Cut to the garage. Veronica is poised to throw the star.

VERONICA: Detention? Me? I think not, Mr Clemmons.

She throws. The star hits the hand of a target.

VERONICA: Try filling out that form left handed. How come these are rubber?
NORRIS: Um, they're just for practice. Uh, next time, I'll let you try a real one.
VERONICA VOICEOVER: Am I crazy or is b*mb boy flirting with me?
VERONICA: No question about it, the Japanese have the coolest weapons.

Veronica spots a chest at the side of the garage and opens it.

VERONICA: Shall I just put these in here?
NORRIS: [Scarily approaching and standing over her] No, you can just hand them back to me. [Happily] My dad said that if I keep my grades up, I can tour Japan this summer. You know there's a Kurasawa retrospective over at the Paragon this weekend. You think, maybe you'd like to go? [On Veronica's stare] It's cool. It can just be like�a friends thing.

Veronica smiles and nods. Cut to outside Norris's house, where Veronica uses her (? So what did she give Mac?) laptop in the car.

VERONICA VOICEOVER: Okay, I came up empty on the weapons search but there's one place I can check for his address book. If I can access the Clayton family wireless system from out here, I'm gold.

Veronica manages to link to the Clayton Wi-Fi.

VERONICA: Exxxxcellent.

She grabs her cell and punches in a number.

MAC: [Offscreen] Hello?
VERONICA: Hey, Mac, it's me. I need you to walk me through something.
MAC: What did you ever do before you met me?
VERONICA: Ever see the first ten minutes of "2001: A Space Odyssey"? It was a lot like that.

Mac smiles but does not respond.

VERONICA: [Explaining further] Monkeys clubbing each other-
MAC: No, I�I got it.
VERONICA: Mac, if you were planning the Apocalypse on Friday, would you ask someone out on a date for that weekend?
MAC: Me? That's the only way I'd ask someone out.

Veronica spots Pete, heading for the house next door to Norris.

MAC: [Offscreen] Veronica?

Pete turns and spots Veronica.

MAC: [Offscreen] Earth to Mars.

Pete waves and Veronica gives a small wave back. She is thinking.

MAC: [Offscreen] Dude, where'd you go?

Pete enters his house. Cut to Veronica's bedroom. She has some school records spread on the desk. She is using the phone.

VERONICA: [Urgently] Norris, pick up, pick up, pick up. It's Veronica. [Pause] Okay. If you get this, call me before tomorrow.

Veronica opens her laptop. The demonic laugh rings out for the KillemAll.net page, the count down showing 18 hours, 8 minutes and 34 seconds. Cut to Veronica exiting her car in the school parking lot. Norris has also just arrived.

NORRIS: Hey. I got your message late.
VERONICA: Listen, something's up. Ben isn't who he says he is and he thinks you're behind the b*mb threats.

As Veronica talks, a blacked out SUV pulls up behind him. Agents get out. From behind Veronica, Ben gets out of a parked car.

BEN: Don't move. Put your hands where I can see 'em. Drop the keys.

Norris stretches out his arms and drops his keys.

VERONICA: This is crazy, you have the wrong guy. It's a joke. A hoax.
BEN: I have a warrant to search your vehicle.
NORRIS: Fine. Search away.

One of the A*F agents picks up the keys and opens the boot of Norris's car. It is full of bags of fertilizer, a large g*n resting on top.

AGENT: There you go.

Ben looks at Veronica in triumph.

BEN: A hoax, huh?
NORRIS: That's not my stuff, man.
BEN: Cuff him.
NORRIS: He lying, that's not my stuff.

The agents circled round Ben move in.

AGENT: Hands behind your back.
NORRIS: I didn't do this.
VERONICA: You set him up?
BEN: Step back, please. [Louder, to the crowd] People, this is a crime scene.

Veronica gets out her camera as Norris is led into the SUV, shouting his innocence.

NORRIS: He's lying to you.

Veronica takes pictures of events. Cut to Veronica in the journalism classroom, at a computer, flipping through her photos.

VERONICA VOICEOVER: Agent Ben used me. I know it. Ten to one he planted the r*fle and fertilizer in Norris's trunk while I was inside playing with throwing stars. All I need to do is prove it.

She comes across the pictures of Ben loading his car with fertilizer.

VERONICA VOICEOVER: Gro-Time Fertilizer?

Ms Stafford walks the room as Veronica uses her phone.

PETE: Hello.
VERONICA: Pete Kamiski please.
PETE: Speaking.
VERONICA: Pete, it's Veronica Mars. Got a minute?
PETE: Yes, yeah.
VERONICA: Tomorrow, we'll be publishing a story in the "Navigator" that says you created false internet traffic through Norris Clayton's wireless internet accessible to you because you reside within a hundred feet of the Clayton house.
PETE: What?
VERONICA: The story goes on to say that you created the Killemall dot net website with its countdown clock and called in the b*mb threats to the school in order to implicate Norris even though there was never an actual b*mb. Additionally, you lied to this reporter about Norris and a young A*F agent k*lling stray cats. Would you care to comment on this story?
PETE: Are you crazy? Do you think this is something I just do for kicks?
VERONICA: You did it because you were the frequent victim of Norris's bullying you in junior high. He was expelled once for holding you down and letting a tarantula crawl across your face in earth science and again for taking your lunch money. [Pause] Pete, still there?
PETE: Every day.
VERONICA: Excuse me.
PETE: He took my lunch money every day before we got on the bus. For two years I scrounged off my friend's plates. I finally told my dad. You know what he said? He said, "Be a man. Just pop him in the mouth once, son, and he'll back off." So I did. I popped him. Norris sent me to the hospital. You wanna know what my dad said then?
VERONICA: What?
PETE: He said he'd wished he'd had a son.

Pete hangs up and Veronica sadly puts down the phone.

MEG: Veronica?

She turns and sees Meg at the door. She gets up and follows Meg out into the corridor. Meg is tearful.

VERONICA: Meg, what's wrong?
MEG: You haven't seen Duncan tonight, have you?
VERONICA: No. He never showed�which is weird.
MEG: He's missing. His parents think he may have run away.
VERONICA: What? Why would they think that?
MEG: His mother says that yesterday he withdrew ten thousand in cash from the bank. No one's seen him since.
VERONICA: That's�bizarre.
MEG: Yeah. I don't understand it, I mean, what would make him do that?

Cut to Veronica and Ms Stafford in the journalism classroom.

MS STAFFORD: So the A*F agent set him up?
VERONICA: The photos show clearly that the same fertilizer bags I saw the agent purchase where the ones found in Norris's car and the same with the r*fle.
MS STAFFORD: Well, I guess we have no choice but to print it, do we.
VERONICA: I was thinking about that. Maybe I could take this story down to the city paper, see if they'll publish it or maybe just put it on a website.
MS STAFFORD: What fun would that be?

Cut to Wallace reading the "Navigator", the headline of which reads: b*mb thr*at Hoax: A*F Arrests Wrong Student. He drops the paper and joins Veronica walking down the hall.

WALLACE: In case you were wondering, Mr Clemmons? Not pleased.
VERONICA: I've lost sleep over it.
WALLACE: Did you have to mention Norris's school records? Someone could have put two and two together.
VERONICA: They will have to really speak sharply to me before I reveal my sources.

Wallace laughs as Veronica heads into the journalism classroom. As she enters, Veronica's smile fades and she stops short when she sees Logan. They hold each other's gaze for a long moment until Logan breaks by looking down. He looks up at her again. Veronica is not giving anything away. Ms Stafford walks into the classroom.

MS STAFFORD: Listen up everybody, I have an announcement.

Veronica pulls her gaze from Logan and walks along the wall of the classroom, looking now at Ms Stafford at the front.

MS STAFFORD: I just heard that Norris Clayton is being released later today.

Veronica casts another glance at Logan before resting against one of the side desks. Logan sits at the large central table, watching Ms Stafford.

MS STAFFORD: The charges have been dropped thanks to a certain high school newspaper's front page story.

Veronica sneaks another look at Logan.

MS STAFFORD: [Sadly] And I'm sorry to report that today is my last day teaching at Neptune High.

Veronica is deeply affected by this announcement.

MS STAFFORD: It's been a real kick working with all of you.

Ms Stafford looks directly at Veronica, who smiles in response, showing genuine respect.

MS STAFFORD: Now, I'd appreciate it if you could work independently. Your sub will arrive shortly.

The camera follows Ms Stafford out into the hallway. Behind her, she hears Veronica's voice from the open classroom door.

VERONICA: Okay buckaroos, we're burning daylight in here. We need stories. Who's got something?

Ms Stafford grins. End.