02x07 - Life Interrupted

Episode transcripts for the TV show "The 4400". Aired: July 2004 to September 2007.*
Watch/Buy Amazon

4,400 people are suddenly returned to Earth.

02x07 - Life Interrupted

Post by bunniefuu »

Une vie meilleure
(2x07 : Life Interrupted)

Written by CRAIG SWEENEY
Directed by NICK GOMEZ

**Previously on the 4400**

Danny: I'm not your little brother anymore.

Shawn: Then stop acting like a two year old. You're my brother, she's your girlfriend. It's all good.

Danny and Shawn fight.

Danny: g*dd*mn freak!

Susan: Danny stop!

Shawn: Don't blame me for Nikki!

Diana adopts Maia.

Judge: Your adoption of Maia Rutledge is hereby complete

Maia comes screaming to Diana.

Maia: He's gonna die! I saw it. He's gonna die!

Diana: Jordan Collier?

Maia: Someone's gonna k*ll him.

Collier is sh*t

Shawn: No, nooooo!!

His body disappears

Lucy: His body, it's not there.

Kyle returns home.

Kyle: This is your new house?

Tom: It's yours too. I've been looking forward to this moment for too long.

Kyle: There's only one thing missing. Mom.

Tom: I really tried to make it work.

Later.

Tom: How was your first day at college?

Kyle: I didn't have one! Nobody paid my tuition.

Tom: I'm sorry Kyle, I must have forgot.

Kyle: We've been talking about this for months. How could you forget?

Kyle has a blackout.

Tom: You spent three years in a coma, you have no business drinking anything! You told me everything that happened that night, right?

Kyle: Yeah.

Kyle throws a g*n into the lake

**Present time**

Tom comes down into the kitchen to find Kyle sitting at the table. Kyle's wearing a shirt and tie and his hair is different.

Tom: Any coffee left?

Kyle: On the shelf.

Tom: Couldn't find a clean T-Shirt?

Kyle: It's what I'm wearing to school.

Tom: I like it. It looks sharp.

Kyle seems to be a bit hyperactive.

Kyle: So, how you doing, Dad?

Tom: Good. Fine. Why?

Kyle: No reason, you know, just uh, good luck. I'll be thinking about ya.

He throws his arms around him.

Kyle: I'll call you. See how it goes. Ok?

Tom: Yeah

Tom walks into NTAC to a round of applause.

Tom: What's all this?

Nina: Welcome back. The prodigal son returns.

Tom: Returns from where?

Agent: Hey, get your gear on, we gotta roll.

Diana: I am so glad to see you

Tom: Yeah, you and everyone else.

Diana: As soon as we take Dorrity down we're gonna pop the champagne.

Tom: Dorian? Whose Dorrity. Diana, stop! Fill me in here, who's Doritty? Does he have something to do with Collier's death?

Diana: Governor Collier? What are you talking about, he's not dead.

Tom: This is Garritty's idea, right? I gotta admit, it's creative. But screw with Tom Baldwin day is over.

Diana: Hey listen, Tom, don't do this. The Doctors gave you a clean bill of health.

Tom: Doctors? What Doctors? Where's everybody headed? And what the hell's going on around here everyday?

Diana: I think you should probably just stay here. We'll talk when I get back.

She rushes out.

Tom: Diana, just....

Tom follows her outside.

Tom: So this guy Doritty, is he a 4400?

Diana: What's a 4400?

Tom: Please stop this. I don't know, four thousand four hundred people. The future sent them back in a ball of light. Any of this sound familiar?

She walks away to another car and he follows her.

Tom: Diana, I'm not laughing, so whatever game you're playing, stop it, stop it right now.

Diana: Tom, whatever you've been through these past few months, I can't even imagine it and everyone here is pulling for your recovery, but you gotta listen to yourself. You sound delusional. I mean, the future? I never heard of the 4400 and I can promise you that nobody ever came back in a ball of light.

They get into the car.

Titles

Diana and Tom's car is heading along the road in a convoy.

Tom: Tell me one thing. According to you, what have we been doing for the last year?

Diana: Your serious?

Tom: Humour me.

Diana: It's your case Tom. Dirty bombs, remember? You went undercover and infiltrated an Aum Shinrikyo t*rror1st cell. None of this means anything to you, does it?

Tom: Of course not, why should it?

Diana: Your cover was compromised. They held you for three weeks. Sleep deprivation, t*rture. They'd have k*lled you if you didn't escape.

Tom: So how does Doritty fit in?

Diana: Aum Shinrikyo's been planning an att*ck in the US. They've been sneaking radioactive material into the country in museum pouches. Doritty's the curator. He's been in bed with them all along. Tom, he sold you out. You spent three weeks in hell because of this guy. You've been on medical leave for two months recovering and obviously it should have been three.

The cars pull up outside the Jordan Collier museum of Contemporary Art. Armed NTAC Agents rush in.

Tom: Jordan Collier museum of Contemporary Art?

Diana: Tell me you recognise this place.

Tom: I recognise it alright

It's in the same location as the 4400 center.

Diana: Well that's a start.

They enter the building.

Tom: This is the spot. This is where Collier got sh*t.

Diana: Ok, do me a favour. Don't let anyone else hear you say that.

She runs up the stairs. Tom stay's where he is and Diana turns and quietly calls to him.

Diana: Tom!

He follows her and as she goes one way he bursts through a door into another corridor, checking out doors as he moves along. Another Agent appears and a man runs out of one of the doorways. Tom follows him and finds a door with a glass window. Diana appears.

Diana: Tom! Is he in there?

The door turns into an ordinary wooden one with no window. Tom is confused.

Tom: Yeah, I think so

Diana: Ok.

The door is opened and they head in. Tom pauses for a moment and we see the man from earlier hiding in the room.

Diana: You wanna do the honours?

Tom heads over to the man who is sitting on the floor. He handcuffs him.

Back at NTAC.

Tom is working on his laptop. He stands up in frustration.

Diana: Did you find anything?

Tom: Someone's been messing with my computer. All my case files are gone. I typed 4400 into a search engine and nothing. How could there not be a single mention of them?

Diana: Maybe, because none of it ever happened.

Tom: Something has obviously changed. This is not the same world it was yesterday. But I'm uh, I'm still Tom Baldwin and you're still Diana Skouris, which means that the people they took, they exist too, right? Gary Navarro, we worked with him last month. He could read thoughts.

Diana: Read thoughts? Tom, come on.

He finds Gary's profile on the net. It say's that he's a baseball hero of the 1970's.

Tom: Played for Cincinnati? Lifetime 317. 1973-1984.

Diana: Easy to hit 300 when they know what the pitcher's hitting.

Tom: But he was never taken. Richard Tyler.

Diana: What did he have? Heat vision?

Tom: No, some of them can do things. Some of them can't.

Richards profile is found on the net. Tom is beginning to panic. Tom reads the information.

Captain Richard Tyler, 334th Fighter Interceptor Squadron. 5th Fighter Interceptor Group was officially credited with destruction of 3 enemy MIG-15 type aircraft in arial combat air patrol near Sinarju Korea at 09412 on 18th October 1951. Captain Tyler led his flight in an att*ck on tow MIG-15's. Captain Tyler fired strikes into the fuselageg and observed the enemy canopy shatter. An enemy aircraft engaged Captain Tyler f*ring into his fuselage hitting Captain Tyler. Tyler's plane was observed hitting the ground and exploding. He is presumed dead. December 8th, 1951.

Tom: He's dead His plane was sh*t down over Sinarju, 1951.

Diana: So that's two down. We going to go through all 4,398 more? I'll take my boots off if we are.

Tom: Diana, your daughter! Your daughter! You're daughter, Maia Rutledge, right? You adopted her. She's one of them.

Diana: Who? Tom. don't include me in your fantasy life. You know I don't have a daughter.

Tom is in a full panic.

Tom: Yes, right here. It's a Seattle address for Maia Rutledge. It's right here. right here.

Tom goes to Maia's home. She answers the door and appears as she is in reality and is still a child.

Tom: Oh, thank God! Maia, it's me.

He's almost crying as he get's to his knee's.

Tom: It's me, it's me. Tom Baldwin.

Zella: I don't know you.

Tom: Don't say that, please. Don't say that.

Zella: My name is Zella. Maia's my grandmother.

Maia: Zella? Who is it?

Zella: Oh, here she is. This is my Grandmother.

An elderly woman comes to the door. Tom get's to his feet and has tears in his eyes.

Tom: You're Maia Rutledge

Maia: Can I help you?

He returns home to find Kyle in the kitchen. Kyle's getting some beer from the fridge and Tom throws his arms around him.

Kyle: Hey! I didn't expect you home so soon. How did you do out there today? Glad to see you too. Everything ok?

Tom: Just tell me one thing. You were in a coma for three years, right?

Kyle grabs the beer.

Kyle: If I have one more of these, I could wind up in a coma right now. Come on, I wanna show you something. Come on!

He pulls him out of the room and pulls back a door to reveal Shawn, Danny and Nikki.

Shawn: Hey, Uncle Tommy. We can eat finally! How you doing?

Tom: Shawn. What are you doing here?

Shawn: Ah, well the band got delayed. We're not going to start recording until Tuesday. Besides, we couldn't miss your big day, or Danny's! Tell him, go on and tell him.

Danny grabs Tom by the shoulders.

Danny: Believe it or not, she actually said yes! We're getting married.

Nikki show's him the ring.

Nikki: Look, he bought me this! Oh! I told him I didn't even want one till he's got a boss.

Kyle: I like that.

Danny: You like that?

Tom is upset and walks away

Nikki: Are you alright Mr Baldwin?

Kyle: Dad, do you need to sit?

Tom: It can't be a joke, there's too many people in on it.

Kyle: Sit, sit down.

Kyle helps Tom to sit.

Tom: So either I'm cracking up or the whole world is.

Kyle: Dad. Doctor's say you're ok.

Tom: I don't wanna scare you, but something's wrong. I don't recognise this place. I mean, I sorta do, but everything's been tweaked.

Tom is losing it.

Kyle: Dad, Dad, look at me.

He takes his face in his hands and tries to get Tom to focus on him.

Kyle: You're not making any sense. You know that, right?

Susan returns home.

Susan: You guys started without us? That's just as well. The airport traffic was insane. Hi Kyle. Hi Nikki. Can you believe my kid, my youngest kid, is getting married? How did we get so old? So, you're back in the saddle. How did it go?

Kyle: I don't think it went too good.

Susan: Really? I was just telling your wife that you were gonna be fine.

Tom: My wife? I'm still married to Linda?

Susan: I said wife, not ex-wife.

A woman with long dark hair walks into the room.

Susan: Alana, you're here.

Tom: I've never seen this woman before.

Alana: I think we need to be alone. Go upstairs? Talk?

Tom: No, I don't know who you are!

Kyle: Dad! Alana's your wife. You've been married to her for two years. She lives here, Dad.

Tom: I don't know what you're talking about, but it's over. It's over ok? It's over. Over.

He leaves and makes his way to NTAC. Entering an unused room, he lay's down to go to sleep. Diana arrives.

Tom: How'd you find me?

Diana: The guy's downstairs called. They said you've been here four hours.

Tom: Yeah, sad, isn't it? The only place I feel normal, is hiding in a storage closet. Guess this is what it must feel like to be insane.

Diana: You're not insane, Tom. You just need a rest.

Tom: Maybe when Keith was telling me I was tortured, maybe they, maybe they broke my mind.

Diana: You're gonna come back from this Tom. It's just gonna take some time. And I'm gonna help you. I promise.

She injects him with something, in the neck and he collapses.

Later, Tom is strapped down in a bed with a therapist sitting on a chair.

Therapist: So tell me again about this ball of light. When did you first come to believe it happened?

Tom: August 14th 2004. That's when they came back. Maybe not in the world you know, but it happened in mine.

Diana enters the room.

Tom: Get her outta here!

Diana: No-one's plotting against you Tom. I did what I had to do, to get you better. His wife's here. She's asking to see him.

Tom: I am not married. I am not married.

Tom is taken to a small room to talk with Alana.

Tom: Look lady, I don't know who you are and I don't care what you have to say.

Alana: You have to play along. I need you to get out of here, so we can figure out what's going on.

Tom: What are you talking about?

Alana: None of this is real to me either. Look, I know we're not married. I've never seen you before yesterday. The things you talk about. The ball of light? The 4400?

Tom: You know about the 4400?

Alana: Know of them? I am a 4400.

Seventy-two hours later

Tom has obviously decided to play along and is back in his room, sitting on the bed. Diana, the therapist and Nina Jarvis are also in the room.

Tom: I know my behaviour is totally out of line and I wanna apologise. I got fixated on getting back to work, and obviously the strain, the excitement, it was just too much.

Nina: We're gonna extend your medical leave by another six weeks and then we will see about getting you back out into the field.

Tom: I'll circle a date.

Nina: Ok.

Tom: So I can go now?

Therapist: Your psych hold is over.

Nina and the therapist leave as Tom begins to put on his shoes. Diana pauses by the door.

Diana: I'm sorry for the ambush.

Tom: Desperate times. Desperate measures. See you in six weeks.

He leaves the building and finds Alana waiting for him outside in the rain. He walks over and shakes her hand.

Tom: Tom Baldwin.

Alana: Alana Mareva. So I guess we're married?

Tom: So I'm told.

Alana: Let's go home.

She gives him the car keys.

Alana: See if we can figure out what the hell is going on. Where do you think we are?

They arrive home.

Tom: I don't know. Maybe we crossed into some kind of alternate reality. A different dimension. I know, it sounds insane.

Alana: It sounds impossible.

Tom: Impossible isn't what it used to be and..... you're a 4400.

Alana: You think I'm doing this?

Tom: It's an explanation. A pretty simple one, actually.

Alana: Simple, but wrong! If I were making this up, how would I put myself in the middle of YOUR life.

Tom: I'm sorry. This can't be easy for you, either.

Alana: Yeah, easy. My friends, my family. Everything I know is gone. Erased. I'm trapped in the middle of your life. How do I know it's not you making this up?

Tom: Erased? What do you mean, your life has been erased?

Tom and Alana arrive at the Aion Art Gallery.

Alana: I used to own this place. I bought it four years ago, a few months before I was abducted.

Tom: And none of this looks familiar now?

Alana: I was my own buyer. I flew all over the world and bought mostly sculptures, primitive art.

Tom see's a woman on a ladder.

Tom: Excuse me! Can I talk to the owner?

Female: He's not here today.

Tom: Any idea when he opened this place?

Female: A long time ago. 15, maybe 20, years?

Alana: It only get's worse.

They arrive in a park. Alana stands in front of a bench that has a plaque saying 'For Angus. 1996 - 2005. A good walking companion and a better dog'.

Tom: You sure that's the right bench?

Alana: I used to come here every week. Believe me, I know which bench I dedicated to my husband and son.

Tom: So back in the world we came from....

Alana: They d*ed. In a car accident.

She sit's on the bench.

Alana: Shortly before I was abducted.

Tom: There's a way back home and we're gonna find it.

He holds his hand out to her and she takes it.

They arrive back home that night. Tom and Alana are in the bedroom. He takes some bedding.

Tom: If you need anything, I'll be right down the hall.

Alana: What, you're sleeping in the guestroom?

Tom: Under the circumstances? Yeah.

Alana: I don't think that's a good idea. We have to play along. We're supposed to be happily married. You don't want your son asking questions.

Tom hesitates for a moment in the doorway and re-enters the room.

Tom: Um, I'll uh, find a spot on the floor.

Alana: Are you sure you won't be more comfortable in the bath tub?

He looks into the bathroom.

Alana: I'm kidding Thomas. It's a big bed. I'm sure we can keep in our own sectors.

Later, they lie in bed. Both are as close to the edge as they can get.

Alana: Do you think we're the only ones? Are there other people out there like us? Wondering how they got here?

Tom: If there are, well find them. We'll take out classified ads in every single major paper.

Alana: Remember the 4400? Drop us a line.

Tom: Well, we'll check out every returnee we can find. Tell me something about yourself.

Alana: What do you want to know? Favourite records? Where I went to school?

Tom: About your husband and son. What were they like?

Alana: Paul was a radiologist. We met while he was on vacation in Tahiti. That's where I'm from.

Tom: Linda and I thought about going there for a honeymoon. We uh, we picked Haiti instead.

Alana: Two years later, after we were married, we had Billy. He was so quiet, sweet.

Two weeks later. Kyle and Alana chat in the kitchen.

Kyle: This is unbelievable. I think this was the interview where I said I wanted to go into medicine because nurses are sexy.

Alana: You did not say that!

Tom arrives home.

Kyle: I got into medical school! Stanford, baby!

Tom: Congratulations.

Kyle leaves and goes to his room.

Tom: The real Kyle used to talk about being a Doctor all the time. Right up until he went into a coma.

Alana: The real Kyle? I know that's not exactly your son, but he seems pretty real to me. He get's happy when he hears good news, cranky when he get's tired and he forgets to put the toilet seat down.

Tom: He's a good kid.

Alana: He was raised well.

Tom: I got a response from our ad in the post.

Alana: Phillip Kendrick. He wants to meet us.

The Collier Museum Of Contemporary Art.

Kendrick: Phillip Kendrick. Tom Baldwin.

Tom: What do you remember about the 4400?

Kendrick: It was the best Sedan Citroen ever put out. Hydraulic's came standard on every model.

Tom: You're talking about a car?

Kendrick: Yeah! Mine's parked outside. Where's yours?

Tom: It's in the shop. I'll send you a picture.

Tom leaves.

Kendrick: Tom! I don't have your address.

Alana: Well that was productive.

Tom: Yeah.

Alana: Shall we check out the Blake exhibit while we're here?

Tom: Uh, why don't you uh, why don't you go ahead. I'll catch up with you in a minute.

Alana heads off to look at the painting's while Tom heads to another room. Walking in he looks around and the door slams behind him. Something is in the center of the room and he walks towards it. He reaches the object and pulls back the cover. As he does so the glass roof explodes and shards of glass fall down. Alana's voice can be heard.

Alana: Thomas. Thomas. Thomas? Thomas!

Alana shakes Tom by the shoulders and he snaps out of what seems to have been a vision.

Tom: It's gone.

Alana: What's gone?

Tom: A door. It was back and I opened it this time. It was some kind of operating room, I think.

Alana: I didn't see anything like that. You were just standing there like a statue.

He grabs her head.

Tom: That rooms the answer. It has to be. It's the only thing that doesn't fit! It's not part of this reality.

Alana: If it even exists. You're the only one who can see it.

Tom: I have to get back there. I have to get back there.

One month later

Diana: Hey partner. Black, two sugars.

Tom is sitting on the floor at Museum, staring at the door.. Diana tries to hand him the coffee, but he doesn't take it. She places it on the floor.

Diana: So the guards tell me that you spent five hours here yesterday. Three, the day before that and one Saturday. You logged up 12.

Tom: Yeah, so I like art.

Diana: It's a nice functional door Tom, but I wouldn't call it a work of art. Now maybe if it were made of black obsidian. I read your psych file.

Diana: You planning on having me locked up again, Diana?

Tom has tears in his eyes.

Diana: You know, this other reality that you're anxious to get back to. I mean, even if you could get back to it. It doesn't sound that great, Tom. Back there, you're divorced, here you have a beautiful wife. Back there, your son, Kyle, spent four years in a coma. Here, he's about to spend four in medical school. Back there, your sister's family is completely dysfunctional. Your nephew is in a cult and the future of the world is in jeopardy.

Tom: You make it sound so.....bleak. It's just uh, just life.

He's crying.

Diana: This is life and it's a better life for you and everyone you care about. Just accept what you have. Cos if you don't, well, you're gonna spend the rest of your life just sitting in this hallway.

Tom returns home to find Alana sitting on the sofa looking at photographs.

Tom: Alana? What's the matter?

Alana: Have you seen these pictures? Look at all the things we've done together. You know, you would think if we're trapped here, they would give us these memories.

Tom looks at photo's of their time together, which include visits to various countries.

Alana: No? Look, we've been to China. I've wanted to go my entire life to China.

She's crying.

Tom: Look, look, Alana. I don't know how long it's gonna take for us to get outta here. I don't know.

Alana: Who say's we will? You keep talking about that door. It's been a month already. What if it never comes back?

Tom: Then we're trapped, ok? Then we're trapped. But if we are Alana, I promise you we will make new memories just as good as these. Better than those.

She takes his hand and they hug.

Alana: I believe we could, Thomas.

Tom: I like it when you call me that. Thomas.

They kiss.

Later that night, we see them naked in bed.

Eight years later.

Tom is standing in front of a mirror wearing a tuxedo. He's having difficulty with the tie.

Tom: And this goes up and then...uh, I can never get these things right.

Kyle: Let me take a sh*t. Come here. Hold still. Gotta remember to make big loops. Leave yourself a little something to work with.

Kyle helps him with the tie.

Tom: Hands of a surgeon.

Kyle: Hands of a resident more like.

Tom: Nah, you'll get there. So how do you like it over at St Pete's.

Kyle: The hours are a k*ller. Doctors treat me like a glorified candy striper, a good nights sleep is a distant memory, I love it!

Tom: Well, I look like I belong on the top of a wedding cake.

Kyle: Well you brought this on yourself. Some people go to Fiji for their tenth anniversary. You two wanted to renew your vows.

Tom: Yeah well, the first time just felt like pictures in a book. This one, this one is for me and Alana.

Kyle: Ready to go, champ?

The ceremony takes place. All their friends and family attend.

Priest: And do you, Alana Baldwin, also renew your commitments to honour, obey and love your husband, Thomas. until death do you part?

Alana: I do. I do.

Priest: Then by the power vested in me, I now pronounce you STILL man and wife. Go ahead. You may kiss your beautiful bride!

They kiss and everyone claps.

Kyle and Shawn hug Tom.

Shawn: Ah, I love you guys!

Later, Tom and Alana dance.

Tom: So how do you feel, Mrs Baldwin?

Alana: Married finally.

Tom: It feels real now, huh?

Alana: Well it felt real for a long time. It's hard to believe we resisted it.

Tom: Yeah.

Alana: Do you miss it? Your old life?

Tom: Ah, I still think about it. After all these years, that life, that world, that feels like the de;usion.

Alana: I now have to concentrate to even remember a life without you.

Tom: See, I'm good now. A self owner tivo? Once you've got me, you can't imagine not having me?

Alana: I love you Thomas

Tom: It still kills me when you call me that. Come here. Hold me.

Back at NTAC.

Tom: You're resigning.

Nina: I'm moving on, Tom. I've been here for eleven years. The private sector beckons. Dennis Ryland offered me a partnership in his consulting firm.

Tom: Nice gig. So you're moving to Virginia?

Nina: Three weeks. Look, DC has asked me to submit a list of names as potential replacements. I'm giving them one. Yours.

Tom is surprised and Nina laughs.

Tom: Um, I'm flattered, but you might need a backup or two. I mean, somewhere in my personnel file are measurements for my straitjacket.

Nina: Nah! You were convalescing from injuries received in the line of duty. Your service in that case was heroic. I think you can talk your way around the fallout. That is if you want the job.

Tom: Oh, chance to sit in the big chair? Yeah, yeah, yeah, I want it alright.

Nina: Good. Then practise saying 'nice to meet you too, Senator' Best way to prep for your confirmation hearing.

Tom: I'll spring for a new suit.

Nina: Mmmm hmmm. My last act as head of this division will be to make sure that this happens. Congratulations Tom. You've earned this.

Tom: Thankyou.

He returns to his office.

Tom: Guess what?

Diana: Don't tell me. You just spoke to Jarvis.

Tom: You knew!

Diana: She might have mentioned something.

Tom: And you didn't tell me? I'm transferring you to Greenland.

Diana: Ah, look. He's not even confirmed yet and he's mad with power.

The phone rings and Tom picks it up.

Tom: Baldwin!

Alana: You are not going to believe this. They've just asked me to join the board of directors at the Collier Museum.

Tom: Wow! That's quite an honour.

Alana: You think I should take it?

Tom: Best museum on the West Coast. You gotta take it.

Alana: There's a benefit at the Seattle intercity art's council on Friday night. They wanna introduce me around.

Tom: I'm glad I didn't put my tux back into storage. So it looks like we both got a little surprise at the office today.

Alana: What do you mean?

Tom: Are you sitting down?

Alana: Just tell me Thomas.

Tom: Not here. I'll see you at home tonight.

The night of the benefit and Tom and Alana stand watching the crowd of guests.

Alana: London Ritter. CEO of Stradovik pharmaceuticals

Tom: Isn't he President of the Art's Council? Why don't you go say hello.

Alana: Come with.

Tom: No, no, no. You go. I'm all out of small talk. Go ahead.

Alana walks to Ritter and shakes his hand.

Alana: Mr Ritter. I'm so happy you could make it.

Tom walks out to the room he has been watching over the years. The door is once again black and as he looks through the glass he see's men inside. He touches the glass.

Alana: Thomas?

Tom: Do you see it?

The door has changed back again.

Alana: No. Why, you do?

Tom: It's been gone for eight years. Why now?

Alana: Come back downstairs with me.

Tom: It's the way out. It has to be.

Alana: And if it is and you walk through it, what happens to all this? To us?

Tom: I don't know.

Alana: Then I don't wanna find out. I want to go to Washington next month and I wanna watch you get promoted. I wanna see who Kyle marries.

Tom: So do I. But this door is back for a reason. It's like it wants me to walk through it.

Alana: But do you want to walk through it?

He shakes his head.

Alana: I don't want you to, either. Come on Thomas. Let's go home.

They walk away from the door, with Alana leading Tom by the arm.

It's night and Tom is walking towards his home. Police cars race by with flashing lights. He runs towards the house and finds Kyle being pushed up against a police car. His face is covered in blood.

Tom: Kyle! That's Kyle, he's my son!

The officers hold him back.

Tom: Leave me alone! He's my son!

Kyle is in the back of the car, looking out at Tom.

Tom: Kyle! Let go of me!

Tom suddenly wakes up in bed. He returns to the door in the museum and looks inside. He see's the table in the middle of the room which is covered. Opening the door, he walks towards the middle of the room and removes the sheet. It's Alana. Her eyes are open.

Alana: Congratulations. You made it.

Alana sit's up.

Tom: Where are we?

Alana: I think you know.

Tom: This is where they brought you and the rest of the 4400.

Alana: Yes this is where they altered us. Gave me the ability to create the world we've been living in for the last eight years.

Tom: So it is you. You've been doing this the whole time.

Alana: We've been living in my mind. But the instructions for your reality, came from them. They created a sanctuary for you. An easier, less complicated world.

Tom: But none of it's real.

Alana: You are. I am. The feeling's we have for each other are as real as anything we have experienced.

Tom: Is that why they did this? Kept us here for eight years because they wanted us to fall in love?

Alana: Moments. That's all that's passed. But in those few seconds, we've accumulated years of memories that will bond us in the real world.

Tom: Thought they were worried about saving the world, not playing matchmaker.

Alana: They're worried about you. Your life is about to plunge into crisis. Your mission will be threatened. They can't allow this to happen. They gave you this relationship as a source of strength. To sustain you in the trials that lay ahead.

Tom: What crisis? What? What is it? Why can't they just tell me what it is? I could stop it from happening.

Alana: It's already begun. But now you won't have to face it alone.

Tom: No, if it's started, I have to get back there.

Alana: Only your wife can get you home.

Tom: You are my wife.

Alana: No. I'm part of the program they placed in her mind. She has no idea she's creating this. If she did, it would interfere with the bonding.

Tom: So what, I'm supposed to just fill her in and tell her what?

Alana: Whether she knows or not, she's willing this world into existence. She can will it out of existence.

Tom: And what if she doesn't want to?

Alana: You'll have to convince her. That will be the first test of your relationship.

Tom: They've created a damn near perfect world for me. What if I don't want it to end. Huh?

Alana: Then the future picked the wrong man.

Tom: No, no.

The real Alana and Tom talk at home.

Alana: What about Kyle? He spent nine years becoming a Doctor. What, I'm supposed to get rid of him? Wish him away?

Tom: It's not really Kyle.

Alana: Ah! I don't see that! If it's not Kyle, who's moving downstairs in the kitchen?

Tom: Kyle, Shawn, Danny, none of them are real. They're just projections.

Alana: You've spent eight years with these people. They're as real to you as they are to me.

Tom: I love my family. I really do love them. It's not that I wanna do this, it's that we HAVE to do it.

Alana: But they're my family, too. Back there, I'm just a stranger to them.

Tom sits on the bed with her.

Alana: What about you and me? Our life? Is that a projection, too?

Tom: No! What we have, our memories, they'll carry over into the real world.

Alana: It won't be the same. It can't be.

Tom: Maybe not! But whatever we have, it'll be real.

Tom stands up and places a chair in the middle of the room.

Alana: What are you doing?

Tom: Make it go away.

Alana: And what do I do? Stare at it until it disappears?

Tom: No. Just believe it's not there.

Alana stares at the chair and it disappears.

Tom hugs her.

Later, Tom and Alana invite the family and Diana over. They stand in the living room.

Tom and Alana leave the house.

Tom: No, don't look back.

The house disappears.

Tom is back in his office

Diana: Tom. Tom! Are you with me Tom?

Diana throws a pen in his face

Diana: Can you e-mail me the Mareva file?

Tom: Alana Mareva?

Diana: AKA returnee 2155? She was just here doing her med eval. It's my week to do reports, remember?

Tom rushes out of the room and rushes back in.

Tom: Diana. The 4400 ball of light. It happened, right?

Diana: Should I be worried about you?

Tom: Just tell me it happened!

Diana: Yes, yes! Of course it happened! What else have we been doing here the last year?

He leaves the room and comes back in.

Tom: That's right!

He kisses her on the head.

Tom: Thankyou. Thankyou.

Tom searches the building for Alana and see's her get into an elevator. He chases her outside.

Tom: Alana, wait!

She turns.

Alana: Thomas.

He takes her face in his hands and hugs her. Placing his arms around her shoulder, he gently leads her away.

The End