01x01 - The Auditions

Episode transcripts for the TV show "High School Musical: The Musical: The Series". Aired: November 2019 to present.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

A group of students at East High stages a performance of "High School Musical.

01x01 - The Auditions

Post by bunniefuu »

"Together, together together everyone"

"Together, together, come on..."

What the... No Oh, come on

Sorry! Our bad!

All good! No bad

Great, first costume change

Today's the day, Big Red it's happening Hell yes, Junior year, baby Might grow a mustache might do a lot of things Dude, I'm talking about Nini Today's the day we start over Oh, wait, I have to show you pictures Okay Okay, Oh, and this was my costume in Act Two Flawless, love it This is the wig that almost fell off in the middle of my ballad We texted, she sounded neutral Nothing about bad news or needing to have a big talk Just, "Hey"

That's good, right?

Summers are no man's land, Ricky I don't know what "Hey" means and neither do you I think it's good, yes And this...

Oh, I know who that is, Nini Girl, I am like 0.2 seconds away from making that my lock screen I can't tell if you're glowing or you're sunburnt Definitely glowing yes, I had the best summer, ever And what does you-know-who have to say about this?

I'm waiting for the right time to tell him Nini! What's good?

How do you feel about right now?

Hey Hey

Can we talk?

It was my idea to take a pause okay?

Nini was going to theater camp and... Not to brag but I'm not exactly intimidated by guys who voluntarily wear tights I didn't want to take a pause It was only for a month We could have Face Timed every day I mean, fine Did I hang out with a couple girls this summer?

Possibly Did I talk about Nini the entire time?

Absolutely I met somebody else at camp I didn't plan... Wait, wait, is this a joke?

Still talking here Oh, snap!

I met someone at camp I didn't plan for it to happen but it happened He was the Music Man I was Marian, the librarian It's called a showmance Wait, you went to librarian camp? That's a thing?

Please... Tell me you're joking I'm not I'm not Come on, Ricky you know what you did!

Or what you didn't do Do my feet stink?

Because I feel like my feet stink No Sort of Yes?

I think it's cute Yes? Okay And that's why we work Check your Instagram What?

Okay Happy almost-one-year anniversary, baby I... I wrote this for you, so...

What is this? Just watch it, I made it for you Watch it I'm watching

"So much has happened think of what we've done"

"In the time that the Earth has traveled Round the sun"

"Winter, spring, summer and we're back to fall"

"We've been together hand-in-hand through it all"

Just watch it

"From the minute we kissed and my heart skipped a b*at"

"To the night that we danced I was swept off my feet"

"Sure as every year has to come to an end"

"I would go spinning around the sun with you, again and again"

"And again and again"

"I think I kind of, you know..."

"Like the way that we flow"

"Like the way that we go"

"And I love... I think I kind of, you know..."

"I think I kind of, you know... You know, you know"

"Can't help dreaming of you"

"Guess I'm saying I don't not love you"

"You know, you know, you know..."

I do, Ricky I love you

"Good morning, students"

"Please make your way to the gym"

"for our annual back-to-school kickoff"

I don't believe this You're blowing me off for some theater punk you met four weeks ago? At a lake?

You kind of dumped me!

It was a break it wasn't a break-up I'm sorry, Ricky But it's a break-up now Pop off, girl Stay out of it, Kourtney You stay out of it I'm dismantling the patriarchy this year and I'm not afraid to start with you

You crushed it That could not have gone better Hey, Kourtney I feel good about this It's a fresh start everyone's on the same page This is a nightmare Everything is terrible love is dead And I am also pleased to announce that this year seniors will be allowed to wear baseball hats on Fridays

"Go, seniors! Friday!"

And now for a special introduction This year, East High has a new drama teacher with an announcement that she swore in writing, would not cost too much money

Why, Big Red? Why do things have to change?

Some things never change, dude I've been wearing the same socks for three days Please hold your applause

Go, Wildcats!

Yes

My name is Ms. Jenn and when I heard that the high school where High School Musical was sh*t had never staged a production of High School Musical, the musical I was shocked as an actress inspired as a director and triggered as a millennial "Millennial"?

Auditions are tomorrow after school This show could change your lives and I'm saying this as a background dancer from the original movie Third from the left back row, red headband and those are my real teeth so...

Oh, and meet your student choreographer, Carlos You know him as captain of the color guard I know him as an unpaid rising star But seriously, I have no budget I've spent two years in the chorus at East High I mean, it would be insane to think I might actually have a sh*t at playing Gabriella

Right?

As the school's resident High School Musical historian I basically have zero chill about this right now I've seen the original movie 37 times and the first 15 minutes of both sequels

Excuse me?

Is there somewhere you're supposed to be?

Broadway Oh, no, I'm all for the arts like, I pay for ad-free Spotify I would just rather see our students practicing skills for the real world, you know?

Sue me Yes, no, I know, Mom but if you can just float me one car payment The principal says it takes two weeks for payroll to kick in, and...

Great, no, not you, Mum got to go Hey, there I know you're new here but FYI, your assistant needs a hall pass if he's going to be late for class Oh, Lord, hall passes are still a thing? What is this, prison?

No, it's a professional learning environment Sweetie, I'm the ultimate professional For instance, we don't call colleagues "Sweetie"

Knock-knock, Ms. Jenn Just wanted to report that the High School Musical hashtag I started is already trending Well, of course it is Your generation deserves to make its own mark on this classic Watch out, world And by "world," you mean the greater Salt Lake region

I just want to be clear This new drama teacher may live in a Hollywood dream world where we're the "Wildcats" but we're not We're the East High Leopards Always have been

And so I say to my mom

"Looking this fabulous while also fighting for intersectional feminism"

"is my summer job"

And that's how I spent my break Wow! Did I not tell you she's amazing?

She is amazing, you're amazing Thank you, yes Okay, so, crazy idea What if we went in costume to the auditions tomorrow?

Okay, I'm listening Okay, whatever you wear I'm doing your makeup Okay So I was thinking, like a basketball jersey for me and then, for my leading lady it is time to go full V. Hudge Okay, no, no let's not get ahead of ourselves I mean, obviously you're going to get Troy but I don't want to... jinx anything that doesn't sound very Nini 2.0 to me Babe, we're a package deal here And all the talented senior girls graduated last year This one is ours to lose Literally, how did we not speak until this summer?

EJ, my man!

Hey Hey, there he is!

Hey! There's the guy!

Okay, is he the best or is he the best?

He is, he is But? No "but", I just...

I don't want to see another boy hurt you Remember how crushed you were after Ricky?

"Crushed" is a little dramatic You didn't leave your bedroom for 48 hours I had to slide pizzas under your door, girl, it was dark This is different, that was then I'm my own person now Hey, Nini?

I called it, I called it early Hi!

Two years ago at East High Nini played the back end of the cow in Gypsy and I was like "who is the cute chorus cow"

"and why is she not playing a human?"

And then, this summer happened and she, like, completely came out of her shell And her cow costume I mean, she's just amazing She's meant for greatness Dude, are you seeing this?

I'm seeing it, I'm hearing it I'm hating it I can't believe it she's dating EJ Caswell Yes, I have eyes I mean, co-captain of the water polo team Yes Senior class treasurer That's correct I mean, what are the odds that the guy she hooks up with at camp goes to East High?

Apparently, the odds are exceptionally good I'm sorry, dude what are you going to do?

I don't know No offense, but the one person I go to for advice is currently on her honeymoon in the cafeteria

Can I just say this? Sure, Nini's a nice girl I was a stage manager for last year's production of Brigadoon and Nini was the only cast member who gave me an opening night card which is, like, a pretty big gesture from a girl who was literally playing a tree But, like, how does a tree get to date a senior?

All right, your turn, Grandma So, how was your first day back?

Oh, we got a new drama teacher she announced the musical and there's this part that I really, really want My shining star!

Thanks But, I fell asleep on the bus ride home and I had this dream I've been having since I was little It's, like, this stress dream where I'm all alone on this big Broadway stage and I open my mouth and nothing comes out Yes, that's a common one Okay, so what does it mean?

Well, I don't think you need a psychoanalyst to tell you that Honestly, I think any grandma could handle this It's a good thing you're both Nini...

There's obviously something about being heard that feels off-limits to you Do you not think you've earned it?

Well, I don't know How do you stop having a dream?

You live it Hi! Sorry we're late Oh! Hi, Mama D The car broke down again, again Luckily, it was in front of the donut shop Oh! Thanks, Mama C What's the score?

Grandma's letting me win You're doing that on your own sweetie Why, yes, I would love a vanilla donut with sprinkles Thank you very much for asking Sweetie, sweetie! No, I want to split that one

I'm doing something wrong I mean, you're cooking, so...

This chicken's been in here for 10 minutes It's colder than when I put it in Call Mom How is that possible? Did I hit a freeze-dry button?

Just call Mom Yes, we're not bugging your mom It's, like, 9:00 p.m. in Chicago She can't still be in a meeting Okay, I'm calling Mom Don't! She doesn't want to hear from me right now, okay?

What? She just...

She just needs a couple more days in Chicago to think things over What is there to "think over"?

It has nothing to do with you okay?

It's going to be fine, bud I mean, is he kidding with this?

Shouldn't he be on an airplane right now to Chicago?

Shouldn't he be fighting to save this?

Hey, how was school today?

Ricky?

No, absolutely not Okay, I know it's crazy, dude but she has to see me in a whole new light But we hate musicals I don't hate musicals I just think it's weird when people, like burst into song in the middle of the street Dude, that's a musical Okay, look, I'm auditioning for this thing tomorrow and nothing is going to stop me Do you even know the plot of High School Musical?

Of course! It's about Zac Efron dancing with a basketball Wrong, it's about the character Troy having to choose between being true to his friend, Chad or following his heart with Gabriella Why do you know so much about High School Musical?

They, play it on a loop at my allergist's office Look, the point is, you're out of your league here, man, all right?

You can't pull this off Yes? Yes

And you don't have the hair for it!

"Oh, yes"

"Now, who would have ever thought that..."

"Ladies and gentlemen, a reminder"

"that auditions for the musical will begin"

"in the auditorium in five minutes"

Come on! Come on, come on!

Is there a problem, Mr. Bowen?

People! Make sure your audition number is clearly visible on your clothes This isn't a game

You know, I'm actually kind of bummed that we don't have any competition here It would make getting the leads all the sweeter Could you stop tempting fate?

You know what? You're right, whatever

Okay, theater people let's do this Good luck! I get it I get why she didn't want to come in costume, she's nervous She wanted to wear her good luck sweatshirt You know, honestly she could wear a burlap sack and she would still be a star

"A-five-six-seven-eight!"

Yes! Come on, One!

Look at her go! I know, she's amazing

She's going to kick you in the face!

Yes Great! That's it for the warm-up That was the warm-up?

Everyone, pair up not with a friend Theater is a community Hi! I'm Nini Wow! can I borrow your high kicks sometime?

Oh, my God! You are the cutest So, have you played leads here before?

No Not yet, but, this summer at camp, I went on for the lead when she got low-grade salmonella, so I'm ready Great story You know, I've never been to a camp or been an understudy

You'll have to tell me all about it Gina, sophomore Transfer student And we're back

It's the second day of school and you've already damaged equipment in my new lab In my defense, I was studying Really Studying?

Troy's songs, high School Musical That's what you were studying?

Stop wasting your time You don't need to massage Ms. Jenn's bruised ego just because her lights went out on Broadway That's not why I'm auditioning I would love you to read for Ryan You are giving major Taylor vibes You're probably a Chad Oh, yes!

You "Nice"

You're giving me uncommon depth. Ms. Darbus?

I'm dying, I'm deceased, yes Oh, your application says you play piano?

I dabble You ever written a song?

I mean, nothing I've ever shared with anyone I always thought the drama teacher should have an Act Two power ballad We'll sidebar Gabriella You got it Oh, I'm good I'm already off-book

Give him the Troy stuff who are we kidding?

And how about we have you read for Kelsi?

Gabriella I want to audition for Gabriella Okay You're reading for Ryan, right?

I think he would rather play Sharpay

I love that, that is so fresh People think a theater teacher's job is to put on a good show And they're not wrong But we're really in the business of saving lives Give us your tired, your poor your chosen-last-for-dodgeball You're safe here

"Just get your head in the game just get your head in the game"

This is my nightmare Look, I've really got to go but, if you get the DVD out just know that I borrowed it From the library Without checking it out wish me luck!

"Okay, our last Troy"

And he comes with props! Love it Whenever you're ready Okay, what do I need to know?

EJ Caswell Most Instagram followers Wakes up looking like that Doesn't know I exist I hope he can carry a tune

"This could be the start of something new"

"It feels so right to be here with you..."

"And now looking in your eyes"

"I feel in my heart"

"The start of something new"

Well, excuse me Armie Hammer just called He wants his jawline back!

We're moving on to the Gabriellas

"I know that something has changed Never felt this way"

My mom always says that if you can't be number one at something it isn't worth doing Which isn't at all intimidating At all

"It feels so right to be here with you"

Okay, I could really use some last-minute tips, like, now Hey, you're doing the thing What thing?

The thing where you talk in a vague British accent when you get nervous Babe, why am I so awkward? Listen to me You've got this All right? There's nothing for you to be nervous about You went on this summer for the lead role with 20 minutes notice You didn't miss a b*at And you did that yourself You've got this I really appreciate... Oh, my God! I'm doing it again Yes, you are you're a total weirdo And a hundred percent real And that is why I love you I do, Ricky I love you

Yes, I... It's just...

That's a really big thing to post online

Look...

I've been thinking, and...

You're just going to be out of town for like a month, right?

And you'll probably have no reception in the woods Maybe we should just like, chill for a minute You know? Like, take a temporary pause

"Pause"?

Yes... Yes, no, I totally get that

I should... It's my mom She's been out of town working for, like, ever, so...

I'll text you

"Any intel on this one?"

"Nini Salazar-Roberts"

"Harmless chorus girl"

Usually plays farm animals and trees Okay, Nini! Whenever you're ready Am I too late? Am I too late?

We're all set on Troys we're low on Chads You can read after the Gabriellas I only studied the Troy scenes in the movie Troy would have arrived on time Thanks, let me do the talking Okay, Nini, let's try this again You got this, babe!

Nobody panic!

Nini, let's wait for the lights to come back on I don't want this to throw you

I'm not thrown

"Living in my own world"

"Didn't understand"

"That anything can happen"

"When you take a chance"

"I never believed in"

"What I couldn't see"

"I never opened my heart"

"To all the possibilities"

"I know that something has changed"

"Never felt this way"

"And right here tonight"

"I feel in my heart"

"I never knew that it could happen 'til it happened to me"

"Oh, yes"

"I didn't know it before but now it's easy to see"

"It's the start of something new"

"I feel in my heart"

Okay Well, thank you, Nini I only needed 32 bars but I appreciate your commitment You, late boy Let's do the Chad sides

Hey, there, I'm Ricky Bowen I'm a junior And... Here goes Total wildcard here

"I don't get it, Troy"

"What kind of spell has this elevated IQ temptress-girl cast"

"that suddenly makes you want to be in a musical?"

I don't know Maybe it's the way Gabriella always had your back And maybe you can't stop b*ating yourself up for totally blowing it with her Was this in the movie?

And look, Troy Even if you never said the L-word to Gabriella because that's, like, not even a word your parents say to each other anymore...

That doesn't mean that you don't Maybe it just means you were waiting for the right time to say it...

So that everyone could hear it

No

So that she could

Okay, kiddo, time to sing Oh, no, actually if you don't mind I kind of prepared my own song?

Sure

I don't know What is he doing?

Oh, no, he is not doing this

"So much has happened think of what we've done"

"In the time that the Earth has traveled round the sun"

"Winter, spring, summer and we're back to fall"

"We've been together hand-in-hand through it all"

"It's just three little words yes, it's not a big deal"

"It's not like I can help feeling all that I feel"

"And by now, I'm sure you're thinking it's so obvious"

"But just in case it's not what I'm saying is this"

"What I'm saying is this..."

"Like the way that we flow"

"Like the way that we go"

"And I love... I think I kind of, you know..."

"I think I kind of, you know You know, you know..."

"You know how we can talk all night"

"And not run out of things to talk about?"

"It's rare that something feels this right"

"It feels so right"

"I think I kind of, you know you know, you know..."

"I think I kind of, you know"

"I think I kind of, you know you know, you know..."

"I can't help dreaming of you"

"Guess I'm saying I don't not love you"

"You know, you know, you know"

Hashtag, "UltimateComeback"

That happened I thought it was good Hey!

What are you doing here?

I'm auditioning You hate musicals That's a little harsh We got kicked out of The Greatest Showman because you kept yelling

"That's not realistic!" at the screen That was the old me The new me thinks musicals... are awesome Okay, well, let me tell you about the old me All right? The old me had her heart broken Okay? And then she went away and she found herself And you don't get to show up now just to try and... confuse things You think that's why I'm here?

No, no, Nini I always believed in you, in us Even if I sucked at showing it That's why I'm here Clear!

Carlos is posting the cast list!

I don't not love you Okay, okay, okay, okay In the old days, teachers would wait two, maybe, three days to announce the cast But when you know, you know It's called instincts

And when in doubt always bet on the underdogs

Congrats

"Chad"? She thinks I'm a Chad? It's okay

Holy crap, dude

"Buckle up, Wildcats" about to get real

"Five, six, seven, eight!"

"What team?" "Wildcats!"

"What team?" "Wildcats!"

"What team?" "Wildcats!"