01x02 - The Read-Through

Episode transcripts for the TV show "High School Musical: The Musical: The Series". Aired: November 2019 to present.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

A group of students at East High stages a performance of "High School Musical.

01x02 - The Read-Through

Post by bunniefuu »

"Previously, on..."

"High School Musical: The Musical: The Series..."

The new drama teacher is forcing innocent children to stage a production of High School Musical

"My best friend, Ricky crashed the audition"

"His ex-girlfriend, Nini was not impressed"

"Her new boyfriend, EJ" who's basically a Hollister model was even less impressed Somehow my boy scored the lead what could possibly go right?

No, that... No I'm not my grandpa, no Wait, no, sorry keep your head still Yes, but there's pizza sauce I know

"I have dreamed about playing the lead"

"at East High since ninth grade"

I auditioned, okay I guess I didn't really audition They were doing Beauty and the Beast and the old drama teacher

"asked me to be a fork"

"after that I was the back of a cow in Gypsy"

"But in my heart, I was Dainty June"

And now, I'm Gabriella And Ricky is not going to ruin this for me He's already ruined this for me I'm not turn this around with Nini... With pheromones What you smell is more important than what you see Last spring, we were at the mall and this chick, like, ambushed me Sprayed this on me I was, like, " back off!"

But Nini was like...

"What is that? Never wash that side of your neck again!"

One more, that's good Yes

I sprayed all of me what's up?

I'm trading in my East High Leopards gear to be a Wildcat starting today because it's the day of the read-through!

Blessed to be playing Chad Swipe up for a link to tickets Hi! Hey, say hi to my cousin and bye to my cousin she's the b*mb, peace You're in a good mood That's just for the fans, Ash inside I'm a bucket of sad You're still not over the not-getting-Troy thing?

I put three years into this drama department and now I have to understudy my girlfriend's ex?

I know, it sucks But maybe it'll be good for you to not get what you want for once?

Why would that be good?

Then again maybe you are who you are

You guys!

Oh, my God! Wow!

How are you going to get through 74 rehearsals with him?

I won't make eye contact

Could everyone take their assigned seats?

Who is Natalie and why do I care if her glands are swollen?

Our stage manager guess she's not coming

Ginger boy can you read?

Not really Well, you're reading now Just the stage directions Thank you, excuse me Do you know what that means?

Don't forget to silence your phones!

I realize that you all walked in here as strangers Actually, EJ's my cousin!

But after today, you're a family One tribe, committed to lifting this classic film to new heights

Please take your neighbors' hands Hand

Hand

Hands

Feel each other's energy Let the silence speak volumes In a world full of no this is a space full of yes Nice, did you just come up with that?

I did

We're all in this together Once we know that we are We're all stars And we see that We're all in this together And it shows when we stand Hand-in-hand Make our dreams come True

Thanks Did I just join a cult?

"Sharpay heads for class hears singing"

"opens the door to the biology lab"

"She finds Gabriella and Taylor washing their hands"

"They turn to find there are no paper towels in the dispenser"

Stop, don't run it all together read the punctuation

"Sharpay comma heads for class period"

There's an old adage in the theater

"Abysmal read-through a brilliant opening night"

Or something like that The important thing is to have patience and trust that a breakthrough will happen

"And they are hearing the songs in their heads period"

And that's Act One let's take a break, come here That was hands down the worst experience of my life I would take the SATs every week if I never have to do that again

If that kid's our stage manager we'll be lucky if the curtains open Oh, hey, give him a break First time reading loud since the fifth grade Science Fair No, no, no, don't get me wrong I like the guy I was hoping we would get through Act One by Christmas I was also hoping we would get to sing the songs I don't know. Guess Miss Jenn just really wants us to pay attention to the lyrics Well, yes, but, I mean... I mean she can't sing them like you can Oh, wait

Who's that from? Oh, no, it's nothing

Cool glasses Thanks, they're my grandma's I have the same ones at home Really? Why?

So, I can see when I'm milking Milking?

I'm obsessed with musical theater I stand out a little bit in my family They raise cattle and sheep I just want to raise the roof What happened to our Troy and Gabriella?

Where are the sparks from that audition?

Should we think about re-casting?

Absolutely not My instincts are impeccable and I'm not scared of a challenge This one might be impossible she won't even look at him Don't underestimate me I come from strong stock My mother bounced back from an autopsy Okay, people, we're back!

Do you follow Zac on Instagram?

No, but clearly I should Yes Hi, I'm so sorry I'm late I promise it won't happen again Thank you both for an early start today, let's begin Wait, it's just the two of us?

We're diving into page 97 You mean the last scene?

You want to rehearse this? It's not even a scene It's just one line Yes, I've got one, too And then there's the kiss There was no...

I don't remember a kiss in what we read yesterday It was very much there in the original film I only remember a hug The kiss ended up being cutting room floor Little racy for its time Too far It makes no sense Why would you start at the end of the play?

Because if you don't know what Hedda Gabler does in the last scene how play her in the first?

But I do know what happens in the last scene. It's a hug, not a kiss And who is Hedda Gabler? What musical is that?

One that very few people would pay to see, it's very dark Miss Jenn, did you put that kiss back in because...

Sweetie, I added the kiss because our production needs it I've also added a cow bell, a power ballad for the drama teacher and a Wildcat cheer for the curtain call That all sounds great, but I...

I just can't kiss Ricky right now Or not yet anyway I have a new boyfriend He's playing Chad Nini, trust the process Your character only has eyes for Troy

Hey, what's up? Go away No, you go away you're in front of my locker

I can't believe this She's around Ricky's finger Who? Miss Jenn!

She added a kiss between them!

EJ, stop he's not bribing our director He's trying to break us up, Ashlyn You're paranoid Really?

Then why did he text Nini at the read-through?

And why wouldn't she tell me who it was?

She doesn't have to tell you Dating her doesn't mean you own her

I need you to borrow her phone for me Borrow? As in steal?

Okay, you've just gone up three levels of scary Ashlyn... If she ever found out...

She won't! She could And if she did Nini would never forgive you Or me, you want to take that risk?

Ashlyn, please, she's not like the other girls I've dated Nini is real she makes me better

God!

I'm kind of lost If the play's over why would we still be dancing?

It's a curtain call You're the last two to come out We want to bring the audience to their feet Teach them the dance Carlos? Can we wait for Miss Jenn?

Miss Jenn is busy tracking down a prop She's asked me to create a crescendo, people so let's stop swirling and start twirling But why are we practicing the bows when we haven't even practiced the play?

Because you start with the hardest dance that takes the longest to learn It's in The Big Book of Broadway Page 374

Okay, people, let's take it from three counts of eight right before Troy and Gabriella's entrance for the bows

A five, six, seven, eight

I can't do this I'm sorry What is he doing?

You're talking to him? I'm here Because you're not here Not for the right reasons What's that mean? What I said, Ricky You hate musicals You're doing this so we're in each other's grills Back to the dance, please!

Now you're rubbing some weird cologne on your neck Hey, you love Throb!

And wasting everybody's time by making fun of something that the rest of us take seriously!

Okay, that's a five! On a break people! Everybody out! Get out!

No, come on Hey, I take this seriously No! No, you don't You don't take anything seriously You just, you coast When someone asked you to make a commitment you make a joke or you...

You sink into some imaginary hole in the floor I didn't sink, Nini I just wasn't ready to say it then I went to that audition to show you...

Because I had met someone else!

You wanted to drag me back into tenth grade like my summer never happened

7ut if you really cared about me, Ricky you would let somebody who wants to play this part play it

Like EJ?

Can we at least try the dip?

What just happened? Why aren't we dipping?

Mission accomplished!

A precious piece of the original HSM is on its way Where are you going, Troy? It's Ricky!

Get him back, now

Dude, what did she say? Why are we leaving?

Because Operation Troy was a huge mistake it just made things worse There you are!

Miss Jenn wants everyone back in the room Tell Miss Jenn I'm done, okay?

Sorry, I can't dance like Fred Rogers It's Fred Astaire Fred Rogers is Mister Rogers He never danced he potty-trained puppets Seriously? I was impressed they made dolls that could cry Ricky, please, you have to... Nini's right!

I'm taking up space I don't belong on stage So untrue, you... Save it, Carlos You don't want me in this if I go back, Nini will probably quit And you need her a lot more than you need me

Do you want to come to my house?

I'll go to yours No, it's weird there right now Is your mom back from Chicago yet?

No, and I don't think she's there just for work Why would she want to be there?

Because my dad's not If you wanted to... Look...

Thanks, bro, really I just need some alone time, okay?

Look, I'm a musical theater person I've got really good ears And if Ricky staying in the show means Nini's out?

Well, I think we all know the next verse to that song

It means I step into the role of Gabriella, in case that wasn't clear Okay Big Red says Ricky's going to quit the show About time, should've done that after they posted the cast list No, I didn't tell him off to make him quit Sure you did I should've just minded my own business, I just...

Can I ask you a question?

Do you want to be with EJ or not?

Why ask me that?

Because, newsflash your boy just booked leading man You should be doing right now is a cartwheel They make me dizzy

Yes, of course, I want to be with EJ I'm totally over Ricky I just... It's messy Well, if I were you I would listen to Miss Jenn Trust the process

Hey, you Gina? What are you doing here?

Babysitting, my neighbor asked me to watch her kid Where is he?

Somewhere So, is it true?

You dropped out?

Haven't made it official yet but, yes, I guess so That sucks Having you there kind of gave us all street cred I mean, you're not a drama geek you've never sang outside your shower Did Miss Jenn send you here?

Please, I think I scare her You are a little scary You got to be, dude I'm a transfer student You either eat or get eaten That's why I was stoked when she cast you Outsiders keep everyone else on their toes I mean it, you kept us real It's better to have someone there who can keep time That five-and-six stuff You don't need Carlos to tell you how to move He bites other people's styles

You have your own

"So we're breaking free we're breaking free"

"Yes, I've got my own style"

It's called I'm a skater not a theater person What am I supposed to do? Stay up all night practicing the steps?

Actually prove to Nini that I'm not a quitter at this so she realizes I'm not a quitter at us?

"We're all in this together"

"Once we know, that we are"

"We're all stars and we see that"

"We're all in this together"

Ricky, it's midnight Thought you had a test tomorrow I do This is for a test? Most important one of my life

Everybody now Hey, Dad, if you can't sleep you can hang here, with me

Come on, yes

"Together together..."

Well, this is definitely a new one for you

"Come on..." "Let's do this right"

"We're all here and speaking out with one voice"

If you plan on assaulting me I have to warn you my mother plays Bunko with the librarian and we will press charges I want to show you something okay? Check it out

six, seven...

Wow! You've been practicing I thought you quit Not doing that anymore Still not sure on this last part You're doing spirit fingers I want jazz hands Jazz hands, okay Here, try it again Five, six, seven, eight

Ricky, that's it

"Okay, all right" and then you just don't screw up all right? All right?

Yes, yes, yes All right

"Don't screw it up don't, dude, let's go"

"So, but, I mean..."

Oh, hi Hi Didn't know anyone was here Gone in seven seconds Six, if I don't zip my bag No, no, no, don't go what was that?

What was what? The song you were playing Oh, that, it's...

Miss Jenn asked me to compose a song for my character It's probably way too much But I'm playing Ms. Darbus the teach...

I know who you're playing, Ashlyn I sat across from you at the read-through Besides, you're EJ's cousin We don't have to talk about EJ I don't want to talk about EJ do you want to talk about EJ?

No, I mean, I... I do, but just not right now

Jeez, this has to stop Doesn't matter who texted no one's business No, one of my moms has been sending me these fortune cookie messages every day to keep me "balanced"

"True test of character is what you do when no one's looking"

Why would someone send that?

She seriously needs to stop it's like the 15th one today I can't discuss the water bill right now Why? Because baths keep me sane, Mother and I am tracking a package that was supposed to be delivered two hours ago Have to go, EJ? Why are you lurking?

Oh, sorry, I was going for loitering Well, room to grow. Right?

What have you got there?

I scored a collector's edition of HSM I was hoping you would sign it Look, I'm a professional actress I know what's going on here I once cornered Andrew Lloyd Webber on a transatlantic flight made him autograph my forehead I just thought since you were part of the original cast...

Where would you like me to sign?

Wherever you would like just not under Zac Hoping I can get him to write something special if I meet him You know, one Troy to another

EJ, Ricky hasn't quit the show What?

"Why don't you play me some more of your song?"

"Seems like a part of me will always have to lose"

"Every single time I have to choose"

"Swore that it felt right but was I wrong?"

"Is this where I'm supposed to be at all?"

"I don't have the answers, not today"

"It's like nothing makes the questions go away"

"What I would give to see"

"If the grass was greener"

"On the other side Of all I've had and lost"

"Would it be enough"

"Or would I still be wondering?"

"If I could go back and change the past"

"Be a little braver than I had"

"And bet against the odds"

"Would I still be lost?"

"Even if I woke up in my dreams"

"Would there still be something I'm missing?"

"If I had everything"

"Would it mean anything?"

"Maybe I should turn around and take the other road"

"Or maybe I'm just looking for what I already know"

"I'm just wondering"

"It feels like I might have broke the best thing that I had"

"I said too much to ever take it back"

"I'm scared I'll never find something as good"

"And would I even know it if I could?"

"If I could go back and change the past"

"Be a little braver than I had"

"And bet against the odds"

"Would I still be lost?"

"Even if I woke up in my dreams"

"Would there still be something I'm missing"

"If I had everything"

"Would it mean anything"

"To me?"

We're back What?

Downstairs. Miss Jenn wants to see everyone in the b*mb shelter

Hey. I missed you where have you been?

What? Before you came here I was hanging with your cousin Really? Why? That's great Don't be weird, I'm just trying to get in good with the family

Here it is, people Is that a garage-door opener?

No, Seb This is Gabriella's phone From the film I plan on creating a time-capsule display in our lobby If they can have 40 sports-ball trophies we deserve a little movie museum Okay, people, enough dazzle fetch your scripts, please

Is that really her phone?

Hold it to your ear like a sea shell You'll hear echoes of V-Hudge crushing the B flat on when There Was Me and You Or you can let me disinfect it first Just... Okay Yes Nini's phone?

Thank you You're welcome

We want the same thing But it's going to take a little teamwork

Places for the top of the ski lodge!