01x04 - Blocking

Episode transcripts for the TV show "High School Musical: The Musical: The Series". Aired: November 2019 to present.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

A group of students at East High stages a performance of "High School Musical.

01x04 - Blocking

Post by bunniefuu »

"Previously on High School Musical"

"The Musical: The Series"

Sure, I did a little "research" into my girlfriend's text history

"But at least I'm not the guy leaving her thirsty voicemails" or deliberately damaging people's faces Luckily, everything is chill with me and Nini now

"It's not like she knows I took her phone"

Okay, so when Miss Jenn asked me to be on the costume crew for HSM I was like but there aren't any costumes in this movie They're just high schoolers But she was like it's a period piece, get creative So, I'm digging through old costume racks seeing what I can repurpose But like what did people in 2006 even wear?

I pretty much wore diapers but hey my job is to make it work We're a team, right? Everybody pulling together That's what makes theater such a safe and loving environment Hey, Nini! Hey, wait up I don't want to be late What's going on?

Where were you at lunch? Had a costume fitting But why haven't you answered my texts?

Could we not do this right now please?

Do what? Are you mad at me?

You're mad at me Look, there was no fitting at lunch Fine, want to know where I was at lunch?

I was at the computer lab bribing some hacker to cr*ck into my phone to recover a message you deleted when you stole it Wait, why do you think that I... Please Gina's not the wonderstudy I need to worry about, is she?

Can we talk about this over the... Don't

Nini, I was spiraling, okay?

I told I loved you and you couldn't even say it back Hey, you said it to Ricky and now I see the way he looks at you... and I know you guys have more history...

Yes, Ricky would never steal my phone No, I know, he just leaves sad-face messages on it asking if you shared a moment over a song Don't make this about Ricky! That is what this is about I'm just trying to hold onto what we had over the summer Yes, I was too but you know what?

Summer's over

Hey, is the door locked or something? Why can't we get in?

Natalie Bagley's missing her emotional-support hamster He got loose Carlos and Gina are helping her find her, him, it

I think they found it

Hey, shouldn't you be at rehearsal?

What are you looking for?

Scene seven, I took the page out to memorize and now I'm thinking Big Red used it as a napkin Is that a hot wing?

I started to clean up but then your mom said she wanted to meet us at the restaurant Straight from the airport? Why isn't she coming home first?

I guess she figured she would be hungry Screw it I'll borrow a script You'll be done by 7:00, right?

I mean, give yourself enough time to get to the restaurant The restaurant is like 10 minutes from school I'll be there

Mom Hey, you God, I have missed you Come here Wait, is that a hot wing?

I thought we were meeting at the restaurant Well, I caught an earlier flight But we agreed we would do this at the restaurant Agreed to do what?

Sometimes a relationship needs one person looking after the other It wasn't divine intervention that got you into Marian the Librarian's costume What does that mean?

You were responsible for Emily Pratt spending opening night with her head in the toilet?

I believed in you Answer the question Take it down a notch I slipped her a bad deviled egg I didn't think it would actually work You got to play the lead didn't you?

Was that going to happen if I hadn't stepped in?

I need a moment Is he dead? No Now she thinks he's in her gym locker Why the screaming?

That was me she stepped on my toe We're ready to begin, people Miss Jenn just talked to Ricky he is running late Who cares?

You might considering you're his understudy We're blocking the Troy Gabriella duet You're on, lovers Really? We don't know... Yes No, I haven't yet Can we do whatever we're doing at dinner now?

We'll have dinner here I'll order in No, we can go out The Thai place delivers You like the spring rolls Not the veggie ones... Guys, talk to me Are we moving to Chicago?

No I am

Sweetheart, we have decided to legally separate I thought you were coming back to see some counselor to make things right Can we sit down? I don't want to sit down The last thing you guys told me... We did see somebody...

While you were in different cities?

How is that supposed to help?

Ricky, this isn't your fault, you're...

You're actually the one thing that has held your dad and I together these past few years We're quoting the counselor You don't agree? What do you want to say?

I don't know I thought I had two more hours You know what? I have got a rehearsal Honey, I'm sorry We'll pick this up at dinner Not sure when I get out It's a musical, lots of scenes could be tomorrow I'll call you

Can I get you to move a little closer to each other?

Little more Come on, guys we're blocking this as a love story not a SARS epidemic I think that chair was over there I can move it over in the scene Feels awkward No it's light I can lift it above my head and walk Sweetie, no one is walking with furniture on their head This isn't The Lion King Strike the chair, please With what? Take it away, remove it

Troy, once the intro begins cross downstage and plant yourself at the piano Which should be further downstage, okay?

No, dear, that would be upstage

Okay, Gabriella you slowly approach the piano and rest an arm on it, naturally Can we make sure her bookbag is off stage right?

Sure Which way is that?

Why do these people talk in code?

Up means down strike means move She says break a leg and I'm like, what did my leg ever do to you?

I never should have joined the crew Okey-dokey Take it from Now, that's really nice Now, that's really nice

"It's hard to believe that I couldn't see"

"You were always there beside me"

"Thought I was alone with no one to hold"

"But you were always there beside me"

"This feeling is like no other"

"I want you to know"

"I have never had someone"

"That knows me like you do"

"The way you do"

"I have never had someone"

"As good for me as you"

"No one like you"

"So lonely before"

"I finally found"

"What I have been looking for"

Well, this is a choice Okay, I have more chemistry with the woman and definitely doesn't color my hair What's up with these two?

Okay, freeze Nini, sweetie This reprise comes at a decisive moment in the story once your hearts have joined It's a love song Were you not getting that?

I would like you to get to his heart without cracking his rib cage Sorry I'm late My mom she caught an earlier flight Where are we?

Scene seven Right I don't have it, could I borrow...

You need your script, Ricky and a pencil It's a blocking rehearsal Could I borrow a pencil?

You can share mine No actually he can't When you come to rehearsal people, you come prepared

Was he in your gym locker? No, just my cherry lip balm But it had Elliot's teeth marks in it I'm sure that wouldn't hurt him It's sparkly Then it'll be easier to find him If he smiles Natalie, we feel your pain but I was just explaining what a constructive rehearsal requires Focus, and honestly another day like this and I am showing up with my emotional support coyote Miss, Jenn, I know the scene Would you wait for me in my office please?

Thank you Wait, are we done?

We are, Ms. Darbus Take a note This is what a frustrated drama teacher looks like Go, scoot Come back when you are ready to be punctual park your distractions at the door and take the work in here seriously

The bottom line is you made a commitment to be here, Ricky A big role comes with big responsibility You and Nini set the tone for the rest of the cast Understood Really?

Well, unless it's a family emergency...

My parents are splitting up

For real

I'm so sorry to hear that

I know exactly how you feel I went through the same thing When I was 14, my mother and father called it quits Well, not my father, my stepfather I never knew my real dad He was a telephone repairman who fell in love with long distances It's not my line, Tennessee Williams, but you get my drift My real father sold pagers But Jack, my stepfather, he was a pivotal figure who inspired me He was so gentle and soft-spoken Miss Jenn He loved poetry and music hated v*olence of any kind Miss Jenn, I think there's a rat eating your protein bar

Hey! Hey, Miss Jenn, stop I could just catch it and take it outside Take it to Natalie Bagley it's her hamster He escaped from his box can you blame him?

That girl is so needy Wait, where did he go?

Might be under the sofa?

Can I lure him with that protein bar?

Absolutely not that is my dinner I can stay here and catch him Ricky, you can't stay here You should go home and be with your family

Now you have a chance to be a hero Stay away from me Girls like her love a comeback You set me up and then sold me out So if I were you, I would cool it Please Don't waste your energy hating on me Start thinking of the long game Opening night is six weeks out, dude Follow me, and you'll have the part of Troy and the girl I hate to tell you this but around here, seniors don't follow sophomores

How do people like that live with themselves?

How do they sleep at night?

Like a shark, eyes open He's always looking for his next victim We have been dating for, like, two months and I don't even know this person Neen, it's called a blind spot everybody has got them Why do you think I flunked my driver's test?

If he's willing to do that to somebody how long before he tries to poison me?

Hey! Yes, excuse me, over here Yes, I know you don't know me very well, but guess what?

You probably know him even less

Have you eaten today?

Is that him? Is that EJ?

Did he text you because I'm not answering?

This fool is working my last nerve Just tell him I went out shopping for a lie detector It's not EJ, it's Tonya Freeman Who's that? This senior on costume crew She made herself head designer and vetoed every one of my suggestions Treats me like a child Did you tell Miss Jenn?

I don't need Miss Jenn to fight my battles If Tonya wants to trash my turtlenecks I'll T-bone her track pants Who's wearing track pants?

If it were up to Tonya, everybody You want me to say something?

You can't keep a senior from acting like a senior This attitude comes with the territory I'll just shut my mouth and focus on make-up crew No, don't do that you need to fight You need to demand respect you need to call him out Tonya is a her and I'm going to get you some food

Don't

Whose tent is this?

Shiggy, the tall guy who hangs the lights Right, real quiet, never speaks?

Yes, it's called rolling electrocutions

These are your choices A very sad-looking bran muffin or some really shriveled-up carrots

Don't look now but your shark's cousin is here

Hey

Hey! Ashlyn! You don't have to avoid me No, I'm not avoiding I just decided to make a half-caff mocha frappe at home Listen, no matter what happens between me and EJ there's no bad blood between us I mean, you might have some because you are related to him but that is not your fault Nini, I really don't want to be in the middle Wait, you're not It's not like you knew what he did

You knew what he did And you knew about the hot egg and Emily Pratt?

Not till today but I'm not totally surprised Are you totally disgusted?

A little, but he's EJ He tends to do the wrong things for the right reasons No, you cannot possibly defend him No, I'm not, I'm not Look, I know what he did sucks but he loves you and he's hurting right now and... Yes, and what?

What am I supposed to do with that?

Find some way to forgive him?

Tell me when to stop Do you like it hard or soft?

Are you sure this is even a bed?

Can you sleep on a pool toy?

Leave it I can just sleep on the floor

Your parents even know you're staying over?

Are they cool with this?

I texted them but I'm not asking for permission

They're going to work it out No, they're not

Okay, cool Do you want to play Fortnite? No Watch a movie? Not tonight Great, we'll YouTube I found this insane video of a girl in Delaware who says she got rid of her psoriasis by eating her dog's kibble Gross What is all this?

That's a C-PAP machine My mom got it for me for my sleep apnea It's loud but I drown it out with this There's a rainforest setting that's pretty dope

There's also raging storm You're not scared of thunder are you?

Do you think you should call your mom?

At least say good night or goodbye, or...

I don't know

I'm really sorry, dude Let's watch kibble girl

Look, I know this happens people change, parents drift apart I just... I really thought they were on the mend, you know?

And after everything that has been going on with...

I guess I'm not good at rolling with stuff when everything feels different

Hey, Kourt Hey, just checking to make sure you are okay Yes, I'm fine You sure? Yes It happened, it's over, life goes on Plus, I just blocked EJ's number so... Problem solved You know it's okay to be sad too, right?

Yes, I know Nini, it's okay to be sad

Yes Okay, thanks, Kourt Call me anytime, okay?

I will, you are the best Bye-bye!

"I found a boy told me I was a star"

"Held the door held my hand in the dark"

"And he's perfect on paper but he's lying to my face"

"Does he think that I'm the kind of girl who needs to be saved"

"Thanks, Carol"

Hey, Mom! Hi, there

Whose are those?

Ricky's Why are they here?

Because the rest of him is in the bathroom changing into pajamas or whatever else I gave him to wear Mom Hold on, hold on There's something going on at home His mom is back, but I don't think she's going to stay very long And I talked to his dad and he said he's fine with him spending the night here...

Spending the night?

Mom, no, I can't deal with any more drama today please Nini... I have had the worst day ever Sweetie, I'm guessing not as bad as his Yes

Hey Well, I got to say that looks better on you than it does on me It's kind of comfy So are my Birkenstocks but let's draw the line here

Yes, well... Sleep tight Hey, thanks again for letting me stay Thank you

I probably should have called you and asked how you felt about me being here, I didn't...

It's okay, you wouldn't have reached me I turned my phone off

So, what's going on at home?

How long is your mom staying?

I don't...

Well, if things ever get really tense you know you can always hang here I'm really scared I'm really scared this time

It feels different already But...

I mean, that's all it is, right?

Different? I mean that's not necessarily bad It's really hard to talk about it, you know?

Not with you but anyone else, it's like...

Well, you can always talk to me about anything anytime, okay?

I know, things are kind of weird between us but, we're friends, right?

Yes You know that

Do you need another pillow?

Or... Yes No, no, that's great Yes, thank you Okay, no problem Good night, Ricky Good night

No, I shouldn't Yes Yes, right, no, yes I get it, friends You know what? These pillows get really flat They're more of a placemat So, I'll go get you a better one from upstairs, yes

Hey, I got your text

Yes, I still want her back more than anything What's your plan?

You are taking me to the homecoming dance What?

Don't ask questions

"And there's one more boy he's from my past"

"We fell in love but it didn't last"

"Because the second I figure it out he pushes me away"

"I won't fight for love if you won't meet me halfway"

"And I say that I'm through but this song is still for you"

"All I want is love that lasts"

"Is all I want too much to ask?"

"Is it something wrong with me?"

"All I want is a good guy"

"Are my expectations far too high?"

"Try my best but what can I say?"

"All I have is myself at the end of the day"

"But shouldn't that be enough for me?"

Hey It's after 11:00 I thought you were spending the night...

Yes, that didn't work out decided to come home Well, I'm glad did you have dinner?

I had some chips at Big Red's Well, that's not dinner So, I'll make you something to eat

Hey, Mom?

Yes?

How long are you staying?

I'm not sure But at least until the end of the week Good

"It's hard to believe that I couldn't see"

"You were always there beside me"