01x06 - What Team?

Episode transcripts for the TV show "High School Musical: The Musical: The Series". Aired: November 2019 to present.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

A group of students at East High stages a performance of "High School Musical.

01x06 - What Team?

Post by bunniefuu »

"Previously on High School Musical The Musical, The Series..."

I heard homecoming was eventful but I am glad Kourt and I had a girls' night with a chaperone who I am pretty sure met somebody Sure, the night had a few bumps but everything is going to be okay Miss Jenn, please come to my office before the opening bell first thing Monday morning

As you can see, this puts the administration in a very awkward position I understand Which is why we have a process for this sort of thing I understand that, too Good morning, Miss Jenn You coming to the photo sh**t?

You go ahead and get started without me, Carlos Okay Here you go. You might want to pack some things up. Just in case

Great, that sounds like a plan Thank you Okay Check on camera Got it Oh my gosh, you look perfect! Yes!

Okay, people, let's do this!

Oh, my God! Ricky What?

I cannot... There's... so much to talk about Wait, what's funny?

Yes, it's picture day for the cover of our program I was in Photography Club for a year in middle school, so... Click!

Oh, my God Hey, you okay with this?

I do not know how to say it Just say it I am home Let's get some air, Wildcats Good morning, Gina Pretty good, right? Troy, you look the best Thank you. I try Okay, guys. We are going to get one in for practice, okay?

We're all going to jump on the count of three Ready? One, two, three Oh, my gosh I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry I'm so sorry, you all. Sorry One, two, three Wait, what happened? Where to begin?

I think you went early Are we jumping on three or after three?

Yes, the count of three, ready?

No, man, you need some new words I think I broke a heel You guys, this is not that hard You smile you leave the earth, you land It is a little hard to smile when we do not even know the plan I cannot look at Ricky Is that a problem?

Okay, let's take a five On five or after five?

I think he is mad at us.

Hi Hi I am a smidge confused I figured What happened to the plan?

You made me take you to homecoming and then you poured a drink on my head Yes, it was pretty complicated Yes, but if there was ever a next step I think I am missing it, because I am still the understudy and you seem pretty happy So, what changed?

Nothing. Everything? Look, I don't know I thought you wanted this as bad as I did It was more like I felt like I had to get it That is the same thing! Guys?

So, do you care about Ricky? And what if I do?

Guys? Not now!

Miss Jenn, I do not think I can stall much longer Are you coming?

Carlos, I was just about to call you Is everything okay? Everything is fine except that I may be out of a job in twenty-four hours Miss Jenn, I cannot see your face so I do not know if you are kidding Oh, my God!

Keep your voice down, honey What happened?

Carlos, I may have exaggerated one or two credits on my resume Principal Gutierrez is a little too literal for my taste, but here we are Where is "here"?

The important thing is that you keep this train on the tracks Hopefully, everything will be cleared up when I sit before the school board tomorrow, okay?

Wait, what?

Keep rehearsal on after school today and do not speak a word of this to anyone In the theater, morale is everything Miss Jenn, if you would Miss Jenn, wait!

Trust the process

Thought it did great, you know? Did you guys have fun?

Have you heard anything from Carlos or Miss Jenn?

They are never late It is weird. He is not responding to texts Did we get a good photo for the program cover?

That is a question I am not ready to answer Hey, jumping on cue is much more complicated than it sounds, okay?

Here Okay Hey, speaking of complicated...

So... What happened with Gina on Friday?

I am not sure yet Okay but did you find out what happened with her and EJ at the dance?

Yes, not sure about that either Okay, should I just live vicariously through someone else?

Guys, let us just start Flip to When there Was Me and You in your script Should we maybe wait until Miss Jenn gets here?

Well, I do not know Apparently nobody is in charge Okay, people, let us stage a number. I am late Is Miss Jenn coming?

Miss Jenn had a small personal matter to attend to and will not be here today Is everything all right? Good question Everything is fine Why would you guys even ask that?

Of course, today is the day I am supposed to stage the boldest concept of the entire show The good news is the idea kind of sells itself Okay. Gabriella, I need you downstage on this mark Troy, stage right Chad, stage left box Other boys, find a box Are they onstage with me while I am singing?

Yes, they will be frozen in various poses to come As the ballad builds, Nini you will be wandering through a forest of boys Wait, what does that mean?

Do you know what a forest of trees looks like?

I do Okay, but with boys And, no, I am sorry, why?

Because your heart has just been shattered and you can not stop thinking about how amazing Troy is Let's go!

No. I am sorry but at this point in the show Troy just sold me out to his teammates Well, she has got a point What Troy did was kind of unforgivable Respectfully, Carlos, I think the last thing anyone wants in this moment is four more versions of him Maybe she could chop down the trees Or what if she is surrounded by a forest of loving and supportive sisters, okay?

Hey, that is a good idea Is it better if she just sings a solo acoustic version?

Guys I vote for that!

Okay, you guys this is not a democracy!

Carlos, are you okay? Because it is not that deep We can all just come back when Miss Jenn gets here Well, she is not here, and I do not know if she is ever coming back Wait, what?

Is this a joke?

She is in deep trouble, you guys They are saying that she lied on her job application and there is a school board meeting in less than twenty-four hours and she is probably going to lose her job I was not supposed to tell any of you but I am trying to do my best here I cannot believe it What are we even doing in rehearsal?

Well, wait, how can we have a show if we do not have a teacher?

You know you could have told me Miss Jenn asked me not to Carlos. What else are you not telling us?

Hey, let's all breathe for a second Do you want to be in charge? She did not say that You know what? I need a minute Right there with you Honestly, same Wait. Wait Guys, wait I... Wait This is going to be in rehearsal when?

Guys

I am sorry, Carlos Rehearsals are officially cancelled until further notice!

Well, that fell apart fast Nothing fell apart It is all going to be okay Do you know something I don't know?

She is Miss Jenn She is unstoppable The whole show is unstoppable But what if it does stop?

Let us not go there. It cannot stop We still have too much work to do Yes

Hey... Could I hear that acoustic song idea?

Sounded cool You serious? I mean, got the time

Benjamin Mazzara Carlos... Surname I assume you know what is happening to Miss Jenn?

I may have heard a rumor in the faculty lounge And I assume you are happy?

Not on the outside Look, everyone is fudged on a resume before I have not The real question is who narced on Miss Jenn?

Wait, are you suggesting that I had something to do with this?

Are you admitting that you did?

Of course not Look, kid Has it occurred to you that Miss Jenn is responsible for her own untimely demise?

"Where are we going right now?"

"I want to find Nini"

EJ I do not think you are the person to comfort her right now You are not her boyfriend anymore Yes, I know I am sure it will be fine Just got to give it a minute Yes. Yes, it will be fine Nini, can we talk? Right now?

Yes, I will get to why in a sec, but...

Miss Jenn is not the only person with secrets I really need to get some stuff off my chest Like what?

How much time you have?

I think I am going to... Yes

"I thought you were my fairy tale"

"My dream when I am not sleeping"

"A wish upon a star"

"That is coming true"

"And everybody else could tell"

"That I confused my feelings with the truth"

"There was me and you"

I have been trying to figure out how to apologize for a while now Mostly to figure out how to make you stop hating me I do not hate you EJ, I just do not trust you. You cannot...

No, you do not have to explain yourself. I have messed up More than you know Just hear me out, please Go ahead Okay... Okay, here goes I tried to bribe Miss Jenn into giving me the part of Troy when I thought Ricky dropped out of the show There is more I went to homecoming with Gina because I thought it might put a wedge in between certain people and maybe it would... I do not know end with me and you back together How would that even work?

I never really understood so I guess while I am confessing to things despite the four-point-three GPA I am actually an idiot And I am sorry I do not really know what you want from me Do you want me to forgive you or be instantly okay with all of this or what?

But mostly, I just do not know why you are telling me all of this right now Because it is over, Nini The show My parents used to be on the school board If there is a hearing tomorrow Miss Jenn is a done deal I am sorry that you will not get to play Gabriella The audience does not know what they are missing, but I do

I also wrote you a really weird song once But, I think that is it for now. Okay

"I am only left with used-to-be's"

"And once upon a song"

"Now I know you are not a fairy tale"

"And dreams are meant for sleeping"

"And wishes on a star"

"Just do not come true"

"because now even I can tell"

"That I confused my feelings with the truth"

"because I liked the view"

"When there was me and you"

So, yes There is that That was really good, Ricky Gosh, I would k*ll to play guitar like that Okay, but you are good at like, everything else so I do not want to hear it What's "everything else?"

You know, acting, dancing throwing drinks in people's faces I was sort of hoping you had forgotten about that Yes, I kind of cannot forget about anything that happened at homecoming

Should we be doing something?

What do you mean? Like to help Miss Jenn Like, a letter-writing campaign?

In one night?

Yes I do not know

Miss Jenn, I was so happy to hear from you You said you got something for me. Tell me it's good news It is complicated. Please sit

Carlos, if tomorrow's board meeting goes the way I think it will you guys are going to hear a lot of not great things about me No, we do not... It is all true What is?

I never told you guys my real last name because I was embarrassed at how little I have actually accomplished

I am a fake teacher, Carlos Most of the learning that has been happening in that rehearsal room has been all of you teaching me

No, that is not true It's the only part of this that ever was Here It is my director's file Audition notes, staging ideas everything. It's all there But I cannot direct the show It is not for you, honey It is for your next teacher Wh...

I just hope she loves you guys half as much as I do

It is weird not being at rehearsal How stupid is that?

What if we just did the show without her?

We cannot even take a picture without her. No offense No, you are right, dude Down here, Kaden!

Hope it is cool I invited Stef and Rico

What is up, guys?

When you did not text back I reached out to some peeps I wanted some company tonight. It is open?

Hey, guys Okay, how many people are coming?

That should be it Actually, give it a minute

This is a terrible party There are not even pretzels What are we all doing here?

We all ended up in the same basement after a really bad day so someone should say something Fine. I will say something I am mad at Miss Jenn Why?

Because she has got a couple skeletons in her closet?

No, because she is giving up She was the first teacher to not see me as a punchline and now she is not even a real teacher?

Define "real teacher" He has got a point Does he, though? Guys So, why are we all here then?

Yes, good question This is a waste of time Honestly? Because she gave me a sh*t And it has been a long time since someone gave me a sh*t Yes She gave me a voice Yes, and now nobody is going to get to hear it because Miss Jenn screwed up Okay, does anyone here actually care if her past is a little bit sketchy? Anyone?

I do Seriously, dude?

What, because you live some perfect life?

Not at all. Because she put our show in jeopardy And now we are all here, maybe for the last time, together And for some of us, this has become... I do not know Family

What team?

Wildcats Okay, Wildcats So, what are we doing about it?

Jennifer?

Mike. Hi What are you doing here?

Just came to support my kid There is a school board meeting and the new drama teacher is in hot water Your kid? Yes His name is Ricky Would you believe he scored the lead in the play?

Good luck in there, Miss Jenn Miss... Jennifer Let's talk after maybe?

Yes. Sounds good Okay, okay

Miss Jenn, it may not surprise you to learn that we have heard earfuls about your unorthodox style ever since you got to East High Personally, I always chalked it up to the well-known fact that people in the dramatic arts are insane

Thank you But now, we have news that your resumé is exaggerated Your teaching credential is from some obscure online university and even your official name might be some version of a stage name What do you say to this charge?

I have always done my best by these kids Just answer the question Excuse me Can I say something?

I am sorry. We are not opening up the floor to parents on this Let him speak

Go ahead, Mister Bowen I am a little late to this party but I got to say the real crime here would be booting a teacher who is making a positive impact I have never seen my kid this invested in anything and I do not think that is something we should punish Your... Honor Mister Bowen, I appreciate your statement but I think we can all agree that theater is not unique in this regard It does not have some special fairy dust that cannot be filled by another extracurricular

What is that? Who is humming?

"Do not say another word"

"Some of us need to be heard"

"You want her big confession?"

"She never saw Dear Evan Hansen"

"Whatever you think about her"

"The show cannot go on without her"

"Maybe her class could be a little more classy"

"Maybe her head is not in the game"

"Maybe her past is just a little bit sketchy"

"We need her all the same"

"She is the one who cheers us on"

"So what if she is dropping the ball?"

"She stands for truth justice, and songs in our key"

"She stands for us and we believe"

"Before she got here we were so off track"

"Then Miss Jenn gave us a chance"

"We used to fall asleep in chemistry class"

"Now it makes us want to dance"

"She is the show that must go on"

"So we are putting in a good word, because we heard"

"She stands for truth justice, and songs in our key"

"What is my motivation?"

"She provides the inspiration"

"Whatever about her reputation"

"Seems about time for a modulation"

"She stands for truth, justice and songs in our key"

"Jazz squares in the choreography"

"Sharpay and Ryan you know they would agree"

Settle, people! Settle down Settle down Do we have any further questions?

Just one

So, how do I snag two tickets for opening night?

"We did it!"

How did you do this? We stayed up all night

Thank you

"I cannot believe it! You know I am surprised. Really!"

Oh my gosh, we did that. You were amazing You k*lled it Come on! All right

This meeting is adjourned All right, see you later Well, I guess the show is back on

That was some speech Honestly, it is the least I could do. Thank you for everything You, too I just wish I would have known earlier. At the bowling alley I am a little bit glad we did not