17x16 - I'm Still Standing

Episode transcripts for the TV show "Grey's Anatomy". Aired: March 2005 to present.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

A drama centered on the personal and professional lives of five surgical interns and their supervisors.

17x16 - I'm Still Standing

Post by bunniefuu »

Meredith: When we give test results to patients, we often say, “Normal.”

Hydration, and that thing you like with the weirdest meat-to-cheese ratio I have ever known.

It’s called a sandwich, Amelia.

You look good. You feel good? ‘Cause you look good.

So, you have your service, plus you’ve inherited Koracick’s service?

That’s a decadent amount of patients.

And I’m not one of them. So go. Be free.

Hydrate, eat, walk, repeat.

Have fun being of use to the world.

We look and analyze numbers within ranges, highs and lows.

♪ Only give me love when I’m giving it back ♪

♪ But you say you’ll never be my friend ♪

If the patient falls within the range, we’re not worried.

Has anyone seen my keys?

Ugh!

Here.

Oh!

♪ And I know you’re just…

Pancake batter. Nice.

Crepe, actually. But that’s not your point. Sorry.

It’s okay. This place wasn’t built for three people.

Hey, you took pity on me.

Jo: Guests don’t bring other guests. I grew up in my car, and I know that.

[Cellphone chimes]

You’re lucky Helm’s a good cook.

♪ Baby

I got accepted in the vaccine trial.

Oh, my God. This could really end someday.

I mean, he might get the placebo.

[Levi scoffs]

♪ But not with you

Right. Not your point.

Yay!

♪ Ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh

But it’s imperfect. Because if history has shown us anything, one person’s normal is another’s complete chaos.

Ooh! Look at this! Tiny toasts. People just share little memories instead of making some big, huge speech.

Do you care if we get two cakes? Because Nana Ante has this thing about a groom’s cake.

Do you mind if we have threecakes?

How are you gonna do any of this when the world is shut down?

Vision phase. No hating.

♪ This time it’s about me

Do you know of any place with a waterfall by the ocean?

Ohh. Looking. Looking.

♪ I’m too far away to be hurt by you ♪

I am so relieved that you’re on call instead of Koracick.

Koracick no longer works here.

Wait. Really? Who got to fire him?

No one. He got inspired by Avery and went to fight racial inequity and make the world a better place.

Damn. I hate that I have to respect a single thing about that guy.

Paramedic: 25-year-old female, MVC, GCS 12. She has a depressed skull fracture. Right pupil is sluggish. Had episodes of bradycardia en route.

My groceries are s-still in the car. And I f… I found disinfectant wipes. Actually, I-I cried.

She’s probably got an intracranial bleed.

Let’s bring her straight into CT.

My dad… He texted me twice on the way here. Can someone call him and tell him that I’m okay? Tell him he just needs to unplug the router then plug it back in!

[Baby cries]

Luna spit up after every feeding?

And her heart rate dropped. Only slightly, but every b*at counts.

Carmen: Vanell. Nope. Harrison. Nope.

Can we help you with something?

Carmen Delgado from CPS. I’ve been assigned as the legal guardian to Luna Ashton. And I hear she might have gastroesophageal reflux?

Possibly, but little Luna here was intubated for a very long time, so she hardly has any gag reflex.

And your recommendation?

I’d like to order a KUB and labs to rule out necrotizing enterocolitis. After that, we’ll do a swallow study if necessary.

Okay. Run the tests, let me know how she does. I’m off to county.

Do we have to run everything by her?

Not “we.” Just me. You know, Luna’s doctor.

♪♪

Gwen Yates, 51, history of cardiac amyloidosis, presents with worsening shortness of breath and leg edema.

I’ve been on heart meds for years. Not sure why I’m suddenly worse.

Well, the protein deposits have brought on congestive heart failure, which is what’s causing the build-up of fluid in your legs and lungs.

And it’s causing your blood to form clots, so we need to insert a filter to keep any from going into your lungs. Listen. Rest assured. We’re gonna do everything we can.

Gwen, I’m sorry, but we’re gonna have to keep you in ICU for supportive care while we look for a heart donor.

Always knew it could be a possibility, but… wow.

Is there someone you’d like us to update?

My husband d*ed in October, and we didn’t have any family but each other. I adopted a dog to keep me company, named him Jupiter. But the other night, he got out of the house. You know that big storm? The thunder scared him really bad, and… I tried to track him down, but I felt so weak, you know? Guess now I know why. Thank you. I’m sure you have other patients to see.

♪♪

Hey. Ortiz is with the dad.

Mr. Nichols, it’s Dr. Shepherd. I’m one of the surgeons who’s gonna be taking care of your daughter.

Wait, wait. S-Skyler needs surgery?

Skyler’s injury from the crash caused her brain to swell. We may need to remove a piece of her skull to alleviate the pressure build-up and protect her brain from any permanent damage.

Oh, my God.

But if we do, it will be temporary. We will implant the bone fragment in her abdomen, and then we will replant it after the swelling goes down.

I know this is a lot to take in, but Dr. Shepherd has done this many times, okay?

Please. You got to save her. That… That’s… That’s my little girl. You got to save her!

We will give you updates as soon as we can.

♪♪

[Click]

No pressure.

♪♪

Levi: Oh! Yes, I’m avoiding you. Which a lot of people do. Avoiding is normal.

[Door opens]

It’s, uh, reasonable. It’s… It’s like, uh…

Injecting yourself with an unknown substance.

Oh, hi. Schmitt. Levi. My… My name is Levi Schmitt.

I’m Dr. Mason Post. I oversee West Coast vaccine trials for Quimby. And, uh, sorry about the joke. Little vaccine humor.

Ohh. I don’t think that works on me.

Ah. How you feeling today?

Nauseous. Even though I’ve read all the articles about the vaccine… twice. And, yes, I know the research has been around for decades, but I can’t help but feel alone.

I meant do you feel sick? We can’t give you the vaccine if you do.

Oh, that. Uh… nope. All good.

[Both chuckle]

Hey, Dr. Schmitt, trial volunteers often have anxiety. You’re not alone. I’ll be with you for every step. Now, relax your arm for me.

♪♪

♪♪

That’s it. You did great.

Now all I have to do is not die.

[Chuckles] Yeah. Well, it won’t be from this. You gonna wave to your fans?

[Cheers and applause]

♪♪

WEEK TWO

Whoo! You ready?

[Door opens]

D… Oh! Okay! [Laughs]

Hi!

Bailey: Hi! [Laughs]

Don’t throw the ball at the guests.

I’m sorry!

Oh, no. I’m fine, sweetie.

I think your class is gonna start soon, so why don’t you go in, okay?

[Laughs] Aww!

Ah.

Oh, okay, okay.

Whew!

Wait. What do you need?

A time machine. And set it back three months.

[Whimpers]

[Sighs]

Talk.

What about?

Anything.

O-kay. Okay. Um, still no replacement for Jackson. Um… Oh, Joey got an “A” in AP biology.

Hmm!

Think he’s gonna be a doctor. Um, Ben’s tumor needs no further treatment. My dad…

Wait. What tumor?

Yeah, so, we found a lump, and he had an orchiectomy. Path came back cancerous, but we got it in time, so he’s all clear. No mets, no chemo. And I’ve been so stressed out about losing my husband that I haven’t been able to think or talk about it, which is why you’re just hearing about it now.

I’m sorry. [Sighs] I had no idea.

Thanks. And if I don’t want to talk about that and you don’t want to talk about you, then we better get another kid out here or something.

Zola!

[Laughs]

Maggie: Hey, Gwen. How you feelin’?

[Monitor beeping]

What’s going on?

I got your page, Helm. What’s up?

Gwen: I made her do it. [Breathing shallowly]

Wanted to… meet the man you were marrying.

[Laughter]

Winston Ndugu. It’s a pleasure.

Gwendolyn. Now, tell me. Do you have a single, much older brother?

[Laughter]

I’m afraid not, no.

I love weddings.

Is there a date?

We’re working on it.

You are going to be such a beautiful bride. Promise you’ll show me pictures. You know, if I last that long.

Of course. And thank you.

[Laughter]

Helm, don’t page anyone unless it’s about work.

[Gwen laughs]

[Taryn chuckles]

No fever, no chills. Nausea?

Not beyond my normal, base-level nausea.

So I’ll go with no?

[Chuckles]

Okay. That’s it. Maybe have some matzo ball soup before our next check-in.

Does that make the vaccine more effective?

Well, last time, you said it helped settle your stomach.

I did? God. I… I talk so much.

I remember what interests me.

Um, I don’t know why I was so nervous. This is nothin’. Uh, but if you’re looking for recs, Marty’s Deli stuffs theirs with chicken.

Oh, I didn’t mean soup.

♪♪

Oh.

See you next week.

♪♪

♪♪

Hey. Hey. How you feeling?

Um… great. Uh, or, uh, fine. I’m okay.

Any side effects from the vaccine or…?

Oh. Nope. All good there. But I should, um, get back to my patients, so… Bye.

Hey, uh… Did we break up or…?

When would we have broken up?

Levi. Come on. You said you wanted me to make space for you, and I did, and you just walked away, been avoiding me ever since.

I have not been…

But do you want to see other people or…?

I don’t know.

Well, I don’t. Okay? I want you, Levi, and only you. So when you figure this all out, you know where to find me, okay?

Hayes: Some good news… Luna’s results show it is only reflux, and it is mild.

[Ringtone plays]

So we’ll continue to monitor her, feed her upright.

[Ringtone stops]

Smaller volumes, more frequently. Try thickened formulas. See how she does.

[Ringtone plays]Do you need to answer that?

Yeah. Sorry. Either one of you two interested in a 9-month-old from county? Kidding. Poor thing’s foster placement fell through, so I have to go. Anything I need to sign?

The nurses have the latest paperwork.

Thanks. I can’t tell you how nice it is I don’t have to think about Luna because of you two.

You’re her guardian. You could think about her a little.

Well, she’s a social worker, not a parent.

Hey.

[Machine hissing]

She’s still not awake?

Amelia: Nothing. It’s been two days since we closed her skull. Her intracranial pressure’s down. Scans don’t show anoxic brain injury. Nothing. If she doesn’t wake up in a few days, we’re gonna have to consider a trach. And I’m gonna have to call her dad.

No, you don’t have to call him. He’s right outside.

♪♪

[Amelia sighs]

Mr. Nichols?

Hey. Hey.

Amelia: Mind if we…?

Did, uh… Did Sky wake up?

Uh… Her status hasn’t changed. We may need to perform something called a trach and PEG. That’ll give her long-term airway control and keep her getting nutrients.

So you don’t think she’ll wake up for… for a while? You know, when Sky was a kid, I… I worked all the time. Long hours, lot of travel. I was just climbing that career ladder, you know? And I missed a lot.

That’s a hard balance… Work and family life.

This one time, I was rushing back for the last night of this high-school talent show she was in. And, uh, I remember at the cast party, one of her friends came up and said to her, “Who’s that guy?” You know, that kind of haunted me. And I thought, “Geez. I just missed too much.” But then COVID comes along, and Skyler moves back in with me, and I think, “Alright. This is good. You know, I… I get a chance to get to know my daughter.”

♪♪

I’ll consent to that, uh… That trach. You just make sure she’s not in any pain, okay?

♪♪

[Yawning]

Late night?

3:00 a.m. call.

[Laughs] Oh.

Dude snapped both his tendons when he slipped down his basement stairs. Pretty crazy to think we’re all basically just walking around on a pair of matchsticks.

[Cellphone chimes]

[Laughs]

Ugh!

Everything okay?

More paperwork for Luna. Her social worker is just a lot. And before you say it, I know she has a thankless job, but Luna deserves more. She’s not just an item on a checklist.

Okay. So what’s the holdup? Oh, sorry. Are we pretending like you’re not gonna adopt her?

Okay. It’s crossed my mind. Which is just crazy because I never pictured myself doing this alone. Maybe it’s the pandemic or the fact that I felt really connected to Luna’s mom.

Or…?

Or maybe it’s that Luna is just… She is so perfect, and I completely freakin’ love her.

Ahh. It’s a pretty great feeling, huh?

What?

Having a kid.

[Both laugh]

I think you can stop asking yourself if you can do it, Jo. I think you already are.

♪♪

Okay. So, hear me out. Uh, so, New Zealand has COVID pretty much wiped out. So, we rent a giant house and… And ask your grandma to wear a mask for 20 hours on planes and then quarantine when we get there?

Okay, so it’s not quite perfect yet, but we’re getting there. Alright. Look. I hate that the pandemic has our hands tied right now, but we are two very smart people. And we both love puzzles. So we’ll get it figured out.

Or maybe we should just wait, you know, until things just open up a little bit more.

Wait, what, like a year?

[Exhales sharply]

Is this cold feet? Because I thought you were all-in.

No, I was. I-I am. You know, I just want it to feel right and not like it’s some big compromise.

“Big compromise.”

That sounded bad. I…

[Cellphone chimes]

Woman on P.A.: Chaplain to Patient Services. Chaplain to Patient Services.

Oh, my God. I have to go. We have a heart donor for Gwen!

♪♪

Owen: Hey. Thought you were off today.

Skyler’s EEG kept showing her brain activity slowing down.

Damn. I was really hoping she’d come through.

Well, she still might. I’m starting serial MRIs to see if I can detect any patterns. And I might even add ultrasonic thalamic stimulation. I’m not sure.

Amelia, some patients just don’t wake up.

She’s someone’s baby, Owen, and I’m a mom now, so I can’t give up.

[Sighs]

♪♪

How you feeling today?

I don’t want to say.

I’m a flirt, and I’m sorry. But I’m a big boy. We can move on.

It’s not that. I noticed a rash on the back of my neck. And you’re gonna need to take a look at it. But that just feels a little… intimate.

Look, if you don’t want me to look at it, that’s up to you. But there are millions of lives at stake.

[Sighs]

[Suction gurgles]

Metz.

Suction.

Taryn: I can’t believe this happened. I still just… I can’t believe it.[Chuckles]

Gwen is very lucky.

I love her. She’s like a mom, you know? But only the good parts. Like, she’s smart and she gives great advice but never tells you your lipstick color makes your skin look green.

Maggie: Specimen coming.

Ready for the donor heart.

♪♪

[Breathing heavily] Oh, my God.

Oh, God. I know.

Your place is so quiet. I can hear myself think.

[Laughs] Yeah? What are you thinking about?

Hmm. Neurons and functional MRIs. And popcorn. You?

Ah, nothing.

Mm.

It’s bone spurs, isn’t it? Honestly, I was thinking what if I just knocked you up?

[Laughs]

I think living at Meredith’s the last few months has broken me. I love being a dad. I think I want more.

More children?

[Chuckling]

Like, of our own?

Yeah! I mean, not tomorrow, but… eventually. Okay. Now I want popcorn.

Link.

Don’t move. I’ll be right back.

WEEK FOUR

[Door closes]

Hello?!

Hey. Suture kit.

So you can get your dexterity back between workouts.

Mm-hmm.

Hey. What you readin’?

My future. Brain fog, neuropathy, fatigue. Some of the many gifts I’ve been plagued with forever due to COVID.

Or you could be just fine. You know, there’s barely enough data.

The data that’s out there is terrifying.

Yeah, it’s looking like recovery can be long, painful, and boring, but the one thing it can’t do is do the work for you. So, up.

No. Come on. Let’s take a walk.

I do not feel like it.

This attitude isn’t gonna get you back in the operating room. And I can’t lose any more surgeons, so come on.

Bailey, I may never get back. I can’t operate if I can’t stand on my feet. I can barely pick up my kids without feeling like I’ve run a marathon.

Alright, well, can you at least take a break?

That’s all I’ve been doing. And I know everybody means well, but I don’t want suture kits and everybody hovering and asking how I’m doing every five minutes. What I want is my life back.

♪♪

♪♪

Amelia: Still no activity.

[Cellphone rings]

[Beep]

Hey.

Hey. I didn’t hear you leave.

Yeah. Skyler’s just… nothing.

Well, you want to say good morning? Scout and I are just having a little jam sesh.

[Guitar playing]

[Computer beeping rapidly]

Hey, Link, stop.

[Scout coos]

Why? He loves this.

But just stop.

[Guitar playing stops, beeping stops]

Okay. Start again.

[Guitar playing resumes]

[Beeping resumes]

[Guitar and beeping continue]

♪♪

Maggie: Gwen, you’re a rock star. Great ejection fraction on echo, the fluid build-up in your lungs is almost resolved, and your labs show no signs of organ rejection.

Well, you keep this up, you’ll be home in no time.

[Laughter]

What’s wrong?

Well, you’re all so happy, I hate to tell you. I woke up with a headache, and it’s getting worse. I’m seeing double.

Transplants can cause perioperative strokes.

Or it could just be a… A headache.

Yeah, we’ll page neuro to make sure. Hang in there, Gwen.

I will, dear. Thank you.

[Door opens]

Hey.

Okay. We know different parts of the brain process different things, right? Math problems, emotion, spatial relationships, and, as we’ve seen with Skyler, music. So we can take it a step further. First what we needed to do was isolate distinct parts of her brain. A clear differentiation.

Okay. Skyler, hi. This is Dr. Shepherd. I am going to play you some music.

[“Flower Duet” plays]

[Computer beeping rapidly]

♪♪

Great.

[Click, music stops]

Okay. Now I would like you to imagine your bedroom at home. Imagine yourself walking through it.

[Scoffs] We… We know that she can hear you. That doesn’t put her any closer to waking up.

Maybe not, but watch this. Just wait.

I’m gonna ask you some questions. If the answer is yes, I want you to think about music. If the answer is no, I want you to think about your bedroom. Now, is your name Michelle?

[Beeping]

Is your name Skyler?

[Beeping]

Wow. [Chuckles] Amelia, that is… Wow. That is incredible.

Yeah, it’s not bad. [Laughs]

Woman on P.A.: Code blue.

[Monitor alarm beeping]

Code blue. Room 4850.

Jo: I got your page. What the hell happened?

She turned blue after feeding. Probably aspirated.

Are you in?

Not yet. Have the CO2 detector ready. I’m in. Start bagging her.

Okay, Wilson. CO2 detector.

What?

CO2 detector.

Sorry.

[Alarm continues]

♪♪

She’s still bradycardic. Let’s resume compressions, have epi on standby.

Why aren’t you pushing epi?

Shush, please.

[Beeping]

Hayes!

Stop.

Come on. Come on. Come on.

[Beeping]

[Alarm stops]

We got it.

Hayes: Oh, Luna, you gave us a little scare. Okay, let’s start her on IV fluids. I want a chest X-ray, STAT. We’re holding enteral feeds.

Hayes: Wilson? I’m her mom. I’m gonna… I want to be her mom.

♪♪

WEEK FIVE

I’ve been doing neuro exams on Gwen for a week. Completely normal. I even did a CT and an MRI. There’s no sign of edema or clots. I can’t find any reason for her headaches. I’m sorry. And I hate to consult and run, but I’m about to make a father very happy.

I don’t want to keep telling Gwen to wait, but we really are out of tests. It’s a good thing she doesn’t seem to mind.

No, she doesn’t. Does she?

♪♪

She sounds perfect, dear. Why didn’t you go on the date?

Her name is Taryn, too. And as hot as she was, I just don’t think I can make out with myself.

Mm.

Maggie: Hey, Gwen. Well, your brain imaging and neuro exams haven’t revealed any abnormalities. Your headaches are a mystery.

Maybe it’ll just work itself out in a few days?

There is a rare complication with some transplant patients. It’s acute borderline cerebral dysplasia.

Huh?

Quiet, Helm.

It’s not life-threatening, and there is a simple test for it. Patients with this condition experience weakness in downward movement of their left arm. So what I want to do is I want to raise your arms, and I want you to try to keep them in the air, okay?

Oh. Well, looks like we found our culprit.

Dr. Webber, I think it was right-sided weakness.

Oh, oh, y-yes, yes. Of course. You’re right, yeah.

Wait. Gwen. You’re faking?

I’m not ready to leave.

Gwen. What you have survived, you are a miracle. [Chuckles] Take the miracle.

But I have friends here. The nurses and doctors. You tell me about your lives, and you don’t get bored when I talk. I’m not very good at people. My husband was. Not me.

♪ I lay next to myself

I’m not funny. I’m not outgoing. I’m not… not that interesting.

♪ Car crash in rewind

And now I don’t even have my dog to go home to.

♪ There’s nothing you could have done ♪

I’m sorry… for wasting your time. I’m sorry.

♪ You will survive

♪ And the world got a little more dim tonight ♪

♪ Ohh-ohh-ohh

Her chest X-ray still shows aspiration pneumonia.

[Jo sighs]

We’ll keep her on antibiotics and see if we can extubate next week.

Should probably call Carmen.

Ah. It can wait. Wouldn’t be a normal day if a parent or guardian wasn’t mad with me about something.

[Chuckles]

Of course, when you become her legal guardian, I’ll deny that I said that.

If she lives long enough for the paperwork to go through.

♪ The world got a little more dim tonight ♪

Were you here again all night?

If I went into cardiac arrest and had a tube shoved down my throat, I wouldn’t want to be alone.

Hmm.

♪ Days come, just like our friends ♪

♪ With a soft glow

♪ A warm touch that slowly fades ♪

♪♪

♪ You’re just out of my reach

♪ Oh, in the shadows Thanks.

We got to the bottom of Gwen’s headaches. Turns out she was faking them because she didn’t want to go home. Spent all that time looking for a solution, and it was a big waste of time.

Pretty frustrating, huh?

What’s that supposed to mean?

You really don’t know?

♪♪

I wasn’t saying I don’t want to get married. I meant that I want it to feel right.

Yeah, I heard you. Loud and clear. But look, I, um… I need to be in surgery. And this can wait. Clearly.

♪♪

♪ The world got a little more dim ♪

[Sighs]

♪ Tonight

Amelia: And remember… It’s yes-and-no questions.

[Machine thumping softly]

Sara: You’ll have a seat just right here.

Alright. Thank you.

And then you’re gonna speak into this microphone.

Okay.

[Door closes]

Hey, sweetie. It’s Dad. Can you hear me?

[Beeping]

[Inhales sharply]

♪♪

You take all the time you want.

♪♪

You know I love you to the moon and back, right?

[Beeping]

[Laughs] I know you do.

[Siren wails in distance]

Hey. You ride to work.

No. Um, sometimes. It’s… U-Usually. I, uh… It’s exercise.

Wow.

I know. I need to buy a car. I just…

No, no, the rest of your face is really cute. Did you cut your hair?

I did.

I like it. So, you want to get out of here?

Uh, now?

Oh, no, sorry. I meant later. Do you… Do you want to see each other, like, out of the hospital? Like, my place, tonight?

Um…

I get COVID-tested three times a week, and I only go to work and home, and I don’t even set foot inside a grocery store. So, um… Yeah, you know, I’ll just text you my address and see how the rest of your day goes. But I hope I’m at the end of it.

♪♪

[Monitor beeping]

Hayes: We have tried extubating, but she is not responding. Modified barium swallow shows that she is aspirating with swallowing.

She’s getting worse.

I want to operate.

She just reached full term.

We’re aware.

A Nissen fundoplication could help stop the reflux and protect her lungs for the future. It’s where I wrap the upper part of the stomach…

Yeah, I’m familiar. I’ve taken care of children who have had this procedure. And the county and I respectfully disagree.

[Scoffs] Wait. You’re saying no? You ca…

I truly believe that you have Luna’s best interests at heart, but until Luna is adopted, I am as close as she’s ever gonna get to a legal parent. I’m sorry. And, Dr. Wilson, I’m sorry to hear that your application was denied. It was a nice idea.

♪♪

You were denied?

I didn’t pass the background check. And explaining it won’t change anything.

[Baby cries]

[Sighs]

♪♪

Meredith: Hey. I’m surprised. You came.

Yeah, I’m surprised, too. You look better.

I think Koracick and Avery had the right idea.

Oh, Grey, no! No, they did no… I mean, yeah, they did, but look. If I lose any more surgeons, then we just might as well turn the hospital into a clinic.

I’m not talking about quitting. I’m talking about learning. And growing. And getting better. Anyway, I have spent the last few weeks worrying about how to get back to normal, but look where normal got us. Sexism, racism, inequality, substandard care. What has just happened, we should never want to go back to that.

Okay. I came here today with an idea, Grey. And… And you can say no, but you can’t say no right now. Because you’re gonna want to. Y-You’re gonna think that you aren’t right for this. You’re gonna think that I’m desperate. [Chuckling] And I am. Because I’ve just lost too much. This hospital has lost too much, so… I want you to take over the residency program.

Richard Webber runs the residency program.

Richard Webber isn’t going anywhere, but he’s got too many jobs, okay? He’s… He’s still operating, he’s chief of chiefs, and one day… a day I hope is in the distant future… He’s gonna want to step back, so we need a plan in place. And we need allies. And I need somebody who thinks like me. So this is my plan. You. You are my plan. I need you to put together a team that reflects our world and then take over this class and choose every class after this one, and… and… and you shape them, you set everything. You can throw out the whole curriculum if you want to, and then we will sandblast the bias right out of ’em. And you can make sure that this world doesn’t go back to normal. Well?

Am I allowed to say yes?

I will allow that.

[Banners’ “Heads and Tails” plays]

I gave you my number, right? Twice, dear.

You can call me anytime you want. Residents don’t sleep anyway.

[Dog barks]

Jupiter! [Laughing]

♪ Don’t lose your faith

[Laughter]

Aww!

How did you find him? He was lost.

Well, we called every shelter we could find. It helps to have a team of interns at your disposal. This guy was halfway to Tacoma.

Oh, Jupy. My baby! I missed you. [Chuckles] Thank you. Thank you so much.

I’ll grab your bag.

Okay. You ready? Let’s go.

♪ Hope

Oh, good boy. Oh, hi. Bye-bye. Bye, Jupiter.

♪ Fight against the tide

♪ Let it rise and fall

How is it I feel better about this than about replacing her heart?

I’m not sure. But I feel the same.

[Laughs]

Ohh.

♪ ‘Cause we’ll hold it together, hold on together ♪

♪ Pushing on the wheel until it turns ♪

♪ ‘Cause everything is us against the world we’re here ♪

♪ Whatever you do, I’ll be with you, ooh ♪

♪ Don’t lose your faith

I panicked. Because I love you. I’m just [Sighs] really used to you not feeling it back.

I’ve always felt it back. I just… I don’t know. I just couldn’t say it back.

What changed?

Me. I changed. Because of you.

♪ Whatever comes our way

Look.

♪ It’s all just heads and tails ♪

I think about you all day long. And I know you get anxious, so I’ve been worried now that you’re part of the trials. But I don’t know. I just want to make you tea and… A-and take care of you a-and watch “Lord of the Rings” with you even though I told you I’d rather s*ab my eyes out with a fork.

[Both chuckle]

♪ Don’t lose

Levi, I never want to be without you, okay? I love you. I’m in love with you.

♪ …and tails

Wait. H-How did you know I was coming over tonight? Oh, no, I didn’t. I’ve been lighting these candles almost every night, hoping you’d come over.

[Chuckles][Exhales sharply]

That is, so unlike you.

♪♪

It’s like you.

♪ Ooh, ooh, ooh

♪ Ooh, ooh, ooh

♪ Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh-ooh ♪

[Door opens]

Hey. Amazing progress on Skyler. It’s always good to see you in your element.

Thanks. Feel like I haven’t been in my element for a while.

I think a lot of us feel that way.

I don’t want any more kids.

Okay. Wha… Are you…

Oh, no. No. God, no. I don’t think so.

But Link wants them.

Uh-huh.

You should have seen the excitement on his face, thinking about it.

Kind of know that feeling.

I don’t. I thought I would. I always thought I wanted four or five kids, like my family, but…

Amelia, is everything okay?

I love Link, and I love Scout. But I don’t know if I can love more than them without losing myself. Owen, I got so involved with Skyler, I have not been to a meeting in two weeks. And I don’t know if I can wrap my mind around bringing another kid into this messy world. My world is messy.

[Sighs]

[Sighs]

I loved having a sister. And I love my kids more than anything, okay? But having another kid, it’s… It’s not just twice the work, Amelia. It is… Oh, it’s exponential. It’s not gonna work unless you both want it. Okay. Let’s try this. I’m gonna ask you if you want more kids, okay, and if the answer is yes, then you think music, and if no, then bedroom.

[Both chuckle]

You want me to come to a meeting with you? I could call Teddy and tell her I’m gonna be late. It’s fine.

No, they’re virtual now.

Oh, yeah, right. [Chuckles]

But thank you.

Just be honest with him. He’ll understand.

[Kaleo’s “I Want More” plays]

♪ Homegrounds

♪ Feels like the weight Bye.

♪ Has been lifted away [Door opens]

♪ But if she leaves me there

TV announcer: Point line. Willard sh**t.

♪ I won’t run

Negative off the rim, rebounded by Milken and…

♪ Please pass it on

♪ Carry me down

Meredith: No one likes being an outlier.

♪ All you need to know

Hey.

♪ Is I want more

♪ More

Is everything okay?

[Voice breaking] Yeah. Great.

Are you sure? Because…

Helm, you can either live here, or you can talk. But you can’t do both.

Patients constantly ask, “Have you seen this before? How common is it? Is this normal?”

♪ Wait until it’s right

[Crying]

♪ But then you fold your hand into mine ♪

♪ Watch as the waves fall back into place ♪

[Cellphone chimes]

For so long, we’ve been conditioned to think if we aren’t normal, it’s a bad thing.

♪ More

♪ Like before

♪ More

♪ I want more

[Message bloops]

♪ More, I want more

Maybe it’s time to rethink what the rules of normal are.

♪♪

None of your ideas are perfect.

Did you forget you told me or…?

I finally figured out what’s been bothering me.

♪ Like before, more

[Sighs]

♪ I want more

Perfect is never gonna be an option because my mom won’t be here.

♪ I want more

The something that was wrong, it never had anything to do with you. I just really wish she could be there, that she could have met you.

Yeah, I wish that, too. You know my mom taught me how to dance, right? And you better bet she would’ve worn out that dance floor, too.

[Laughs]

[Breathes deeply]

Okay. So… here’s my idea. We take the engagement ring that my mom gave me and we turn it into my wedding band. And we don’t wait. We get your grandma and my dad out here as soon as we can, and we just do it with family. And then someday, sometime, when it’s safe, we will have a party that sets the world on fire.

Okay. I’m good with that.

That is such a relief.

Why?

♪ Yes, I want more, more

Hello, my sweet Winston!

Ahh! Nana Ante!

Hey, no, no! No hugging for 10 days!

[Laughter]

Hey, uh, so, what’s this I hear about you wanting to marry my little girl?

Oh, Dad. Stop it.

I can’t believe you did this. I can’t believe it.

Me neither.

Nana Ante: My darling baby.

Maybe it’s time to rethink everything.

♪ Don’t you leave me there, wanting more ♪

♪♪

♪♪

♪♪