Les Miserables (2012)

Musicals/Concerts Movie Collection.

Moderator: Maskath3

Watch on Amazon   Merchandise   Collectables

Musicals/Concerts Movie Collection.

Les Miserables (2012)

Post by bunniefuu »

Look down, look down Don't look them in the eye Look down, look down You're here until you die No God above And hell alone below Look down, look down There's 20 years to go I've done no wrong Sweet Jesus, hear my prayer!

Look down, look down Sweet Jesus doesn't care I know she'll wait I know that she'll be true Look down, look down They've all forgotten you When I get free You won't see me Here for dust!

Huh!

Look down, look down You'll always be a sl*ve Look down, look down You're standing in your grave

Retrieve the flag.

Now, Prisoner 24601 Your time is up And your parole's begun You know what that means?

Yes. It means I'm free No. Follow to the letter Your itinerary This badge of shame You'll show it till you die It warns you're a dangerous man I stole a loaf of bread My sister's child was close to death And we were starving You will starve again Unless you learn the meaning of the law I know the meaning of those 19 years A sl*ve of the law!

Five years for what you did The rest because you tried to run Yes, 24601 My name is Jean Valjean!

And I'm Javert!

Do not forget my name Do not forget me

24601 Look down, look down You'll always be a sl*ve Look down, look down You're standing in your grave

Freedom at last How strange the taste

Never forget the years, the waste Nor forgive them for what they've done They are the guilty Everyone The day begins And now let's see What this new world Will do for me

Can I help? A day's work?

Papers.

No work here.

Valjean, as a dangerous man, you will be on parole forever.

Failure to report means immediate arrest.

Be in Pontarlier in 30 days.

Follow him.

Let me see your papers.

Monsieur? Papers.

I'll sleep in the stable. Please, I'm hungry.

Get out.

Hey!

Come in, sir, for you are weary And the night is cold out here Though our lives are very humble What we have We have to share There is wine here to revive you There is bread to make you strong There's a bed to rest till morning Rest from pain And rest from wrong

Bless the food we eat today.

Bless our dear sister and our honored guest.

Get in there! Put him down!

Stay there!

Monsignor.

We have your silver.

We caught this man red-handed.

He had the nerve to say you gave him this.

That is right But, my friend, you left so early Surely something slipped your mind You forgot I gave these also Would you leave the best behind?

Messieurs, release him This man has spoken true I commend you for your duty Now God's blessing go with you

But remember this, my brother

See in this some higher plan

You must use this precious silver To become an honest man By the witness of the martyrs By the passion and the blood God has raised you out of darkness I have saved your soul for God

What have I done? Sweet Jesus, what have I done?

Become a thief in the night Become a dog on the run Have I fallen so far And is the hour so late That nothing remains but the cry of my hate?

The cries in the dark that nobody hears Here where I stand at the turning of the years If there's another way to go I missed it 20 long years ago My life was a w*r that could never be won They gave me a number and they m*rder*d Valjean When they chained me and left me for dead Just for stealing a mouthful of bread

Yet why did I allow this man To touch my soul and teach me love?

He treated me like any other He gave me his trust He called me brother My life he claims for God above Can such things be?

For I had come to hate the world This world that always hated me!

Take an eye for an eye!

Turn your heart into stone!

This is all I have lived for!

This is all I have known!

One word from him and I'd be back Beneath the lash, upon the rack Instead he offers me my freedom!

I feel my shame inside me like a Kn*fe He told me that I have a soul How does he know?

What spirit comes to move my life?

Is there another way to go?

I am reaching but I fall And the night is closing in As I stare into the void To the whirlpool of my sin I'll escape now from that world From the world of Jean Valjean Jean Valjean is nothing now!

Another story must begin!

At the end of the day you're another day older And that's all you can say for the life of the poor It's a struggle! It's a w*r!

And there's nothing that anyone's giving One more day standing about What is it for?

One day less to be living At the end of the day you're another day colder And the shirt on your back doesn't keep out the chill And the righteous hurry past They don't hear the little ones crying And the plague is coming on fast Ready to k*ll One day nearer to dying!

At the end of the day there's another day dawning And the sun in the morning is waiting to rise Like the waves crash on the sand Like a storm that'll break any second There's a hunger in the land There's a reckoning still to be reckoned And there's gonna be hell to pay At the end of the day!

At the end of the day you get nothing for nothing Sitting flat on your bum doesn't buy any bread There are children back at home And the children have got to be fed And you're lucky to be in a job And in a bed And we're counting our blessings Have you seen how the foreman is fuming today With his terrible breath and his wandering hands?

It's because tittie Fantine won't give him his way Take a look at his trousers You'll see where he stands!

And the boss, he never knows that the foreman is always on heat If Fantine doesn't look out, watch how she goes She'll be out on the street At the end of the day it's another day over With enough in your pocket to last for a week Pay the landlord, pay the shop Keep on working as long as you're able Keep on working till you drop Or it's back to the crumbs off the table Well, you've got to pay your way At the end of the day!

And what have we here, little innocent sister?

Come on, Fantine, let's have all the news

"Dear Fantine, you must send us more money"

"Your child needs a doctor There's no time to lose"

Give that letter to me It is none of your business With a husband at home and a bit on the side Is there anyone here who can swear before God She has nothing to fear? She has nothing to hide?

Stop making trouble. I'm not making trouble.

Foreman!

What are you doing?

Come on, stop that! Monsieur Madeleine is here!

What is this fighting all about? Someone tear these two apart!

This is a factory, not a circus Now, come on, ladies, settle down I am the mayor of this town I run a business of repute

Deal with this, Foreman. Be as patient as you can.

Yes, Monsieur Madeleine.

Now, someone say how this began.

At the end of the day she's the one who began it!

There's a kid that she's hiding in some little town There's a man she has to pay You can guess how she picks up the extra You can bet she's earning her keep sleeping around!

And the boss wouldn't like it Yes, it's true there's a child And the child is my daughter And her father abandoned us, leaving us flat Now she lives with an innkeeper man and his wife And I pay for the child What's the matter with that?

At the end of the day she'll be nothing but trouble And there's trouble for all when there's trouble for one While we're earning our daily bread She's the one with her hands in the butter You must send the slut away or we're all going to end in the gutter And it's us who'll have to pay At the end of the day!

I might have known the bitch could bite I might have known the cat had claws I might have guessed your little secret Ah, yes, the virtuous Fantine who keeps herself so pure and clean You'd be the cause, I had no doubt of any trouble hereabout You play a virgin in the light But need no urging in the night She's been laughing at you while she's having her men!

She'll be nothing but trouble again and again!

You must sack her today! Sack the girl today!

Right, my girl On your way Monsieur le Maven Monsieur le Maven!

Monsieur le Mayor!

Monsieur le Maven Monsieur le Maven!

Please! Please, monsieur!

I have a child! Monsieur!

Please! Please.

Welcome, Inspector.

Monsieur le Mayor.

Please know me as Javert I'm here at your command With honor due to each And justice in our hand No man's beyond our reach Let all beware Welcome, sir Come guard our laws I'm sure we're here In common cause You've done the city proud You're praised by those on high Your success has earned a force The best that Paris can supply Your people thrive The dignity of toil To stay alive

It seems to me we may have met

Your face is not a face I would forget

Monsieur Madeleine! Pardon.

Monsieur le Mayor!

Monsieur le Mayor!

The weight, it's crushing him!

Stay still, stay still.

Hold, hold, hold! Hold that steady.

Hold it steady!

That's it. That's it.

Can this be true? I don't believe what I see A man your age To be as strong as you are A memory stirs You make me think of a man From years ago A man who broke his parole He disappeared Say what you must Don't leave it there

Forgive me, sir I would not dare

How much for this? It's my daughter's.

I'll give you four francs for that.

Four? It's worth 10!

No.

I smell women Smell 'em in the air Think I'll drop my anchor In that harbor over there Five?

Lovely lady I'll love you till I'm broke Seven months at sea and now I'm hungry for a poke!

Even stokers need a little stoke!

Lovely ladies Waiting for a bite!

Waiting for the customers Who only come at night Lovely ladies Ready for the call Standing up or lying down Or any way at all Bargain prices up against the wall!

What pretty hair!

What pretty locks you've got there!

What luck you've got It's worth a centime, my dear!

I'll take the lot!

Don't touch me! Leave me alone!

Let's make a price I'll give you all of 10 francs Just think of that It pays a debt Just think of that What can I do? It pays a debt Ten francs may save my poor Cosette

Lovely ladies Waiting in the dark Ready for a thick one Or a quick one in the park Long time, short time Any time, my dear!

Costs a little extra If you want to take all year Quick and cheap is underneath the pier Go and see them.

Come over here It's 20 francs for a tooth Come here, my dear I'll pay you well for your youth The pain won't last You'll still be able to bite Just the back ones.

I do it fast I know my business all right It's worth a go You'll pay me first what I am due You'll get twice if I take two

Give me the dirt Who's that bit over there?

A bit of skirt She's the one sold her hair She's got a kid Sends her all that she can I might have known There is always some man Lovely lady, come along and join us!

Lovely lady!

Come on, dearie, why all the fuss?

You're no grander than the rest of us Life has dropped you at the bottom of the heap Join your sisters Make money in your sleep That's right, dearie Show him what you've got That's right, dearie Let him have the lot

Old men, young men Take 'em as they come!

Harbor rats and alley cats and every kind of scum Poor men, rich men, leaders of the land See them with their trousers off They're never quite as grand!

All it takes is money in your hand Lovely ladies Going for a song Got a lot of callers But they never stay for long

Come on, Captain You can wear your shoes Don't it make a change to have a girl who can't refuse?

Easy money Lying on a bed Just as well they never see The hate that's in your head Don't they know they're making love to one already dead?

There was a time when men were kind When their voices were soft And their words inviting There was a time when love was blind And the world was a song And the song was exciting There was a time

Then it all went wrong

I dreamed a dream in time gone by When hope was high And life worth living

I dreamed that love would never die I dreamed that God would be forgiving

Then I was young and unafraid And dreams were made and used and wasted There was no ransom to be paid No song unsung, no wine untasted

But the tigers come at night With their voices soft as thunder As they tear your hope apart As they turn your dream to shame

He slept a summer by my side He filled my days with endless wonder

He took my childhood in his stride But he was gone when autumn came

And still I dream he'll come to me That we will live the years together But there are dreams that cannot be And there are storms we cannot weather

I had a dream my life would be

So different from this hell I'm living So different now from what it seemed!

Now Life has k*lled the dream

I dreamed

Have you anywhere to go? No? You need to get warm.

What do you have for me?

Here's our youngest, sir.

I don't want you You've got some nerve, you little slut. You've got some gall.

Ow!

By Christ, you'll pay for what you've done I guarantee I'll make you suffer I beg you, don't report me, sir I'll do whatever you may want Make your excuse to the police

Tell me quickly what's the story Who saw what and why and where?

Let him give a full description Let him answer to Javert Javert, would you believe it? I was lost here in the dark When this prost*tute att*cked me You can see she left her mark She will answer for her actions If you make a full report You may rest assured, monsieur She will answer to the court There's a child who sorely needs me Please, monsieur, she's but that high Holy God, is there no mercy?

If I go to jail she'll die I have heard such protestations every day for 20 years Let's have no more explanations Save your breath, save your tears Honest work, just reward That's the way to please the Lord A moment of your time, Javert I do believe this woman's tale Monsieur le Mayor!

You've done your duty, let her be She needs a doctor, not a jail Monsieur le Mayor!

Can this be?

Where will she end This child without a friend?

I've seen your face before

Show me some way to help you

How have you come to grief In such a place as this?

Monsieur, don't mock me now, I pray

It's hard enough I've lost my pride

You let your foreman send me away Yes, you were there And turned aside

I never did no wrong Is it true what I've done...

My daughter's close to dying

...to an innocent soul?

If there's a God above...

Had I only known then

...he'd let me die instead In His name my task has just begun

I will take her to the hospital.

Monsieur le Mayor.

Where is your child?

With an innkeeper in Montfermeil.

I will send for her immediately.

I will see it done!

Rest.

From Paris, monsieur.

Monsieur le Mayor, I have a crime to declare!

I have disgraced The uniform that I wear I've done you wrong Let no forgiveness be shown I've been as hard On every rogue I have known I mistook you for a convict I have made a false report Now I learn they caught the culprit He's about to face the court And of course he now denies it You'd expect that of a con But he couldn't run forever No, not even Jean Valjean

You say this man denies it all And gives no sign of understanding or repentance?

You say this man is going to trial And that he's sure to be returned to serve his sentence?

He will pay, and so must I Press charges against me, sir You have only done your duty It's a minor sin at most All of us have made misjudgments You'll return, sir, to your post

They think that man is me Without a second glance This stranger they have found This man could be my chance Why should I save his hide? Why should I right this wrong?

When I have come so far and struggled for so long?

If I speak, I am condemned If I stay silent, I am damned!

I am the master of hundreds of workers They all look to me Can I abandon them? How would they live if I am not free?

If I speak, they are condemned If I stay silent I am damned

Who am I?

Can I condemn this man to sl*very?

Pretend I do not feel his agony?

This innocent who bears my face Who goes to judgment in my place Who am I?

Can I conceal myself forevermore?

Pretend I'm not the man I was before?

And must my name until I die be no more than an alibi?

Must I lie?

How can I ever face my fellow men?

How can I ever face myself again?

My soul belongs to God, I know I made that bargain long ago He gave me hope when hope was gone He gave me strength to journey on!

Who am I?

Who am I?

I'm Jean Valjean

Monsieur le Mayor!

And so, Your Honor, you see it's true This man bears no more guilt than you!

Who am I?

24601!

Monsieur le Mayor, you are not well.

You must come with me.

If you don't believe me, ask Inspector Javert.

You'll find me at the hospital.

Cosette, it's turned so cold

Cosette, it's past your bedtime

You've played the day away And soon it will be night Come to me Cosette, the light is fading

Don't you see The evening star appearing?

Come to me And rest against my shoulder How fast the minutes fly away and every minute colder

Dear Fantine, Cosette will be here soon Dear Fantine, she will be by your side Come, Cosette My child, where did you go?

Be at peace

Be at peace evermore My Cosette Shall live in my protection

Take her now Your child will want for nothing

Good monsieur, you come from God in heaven

Tell Cosette I love her

And I'll see her when I wake

Valjean, at last We see each other plain

"Monsieur le Mayor" You'll wear a different chain Before you say another word, Javert Before you chain me up like a sl*ve again Listen to me! There is something I must do This woman leaves behind a suffering child There is none but me who can intercede In mercy's name, three days are all I need Then I'll return, I pledge my word Then I'll return You must think me mad I've hunted you across the years Men like you can never change A man such as you!

Believe of me what you will Men like you can never change There is a duty I'm sworn to do Men like me can never change You know nothing of my life No, 24601!

All I did was steal some bread My duty is to the law You know nothing of the world You have no rights You would sooner see me dead Come with me, 24601!

But not before I see this justice done!

Now the wheel has turned around Jean Valjean means nothing now Dare you talk to me of crime I am warning you, Javert And the price you had to pay I'm the stronger man by far!

Every man is born in sin There is power in me yet!

Every man must choose his way My race is not yet run!

You know nothing of Javert!

I was born inside a jail!

I was born with scum like you!

I am from the gutter, too!

There is a castle on a cloud I like to go there in my sleep Aren't any floors for me to sweep Not in my castle on a cloud There is a lady all in white Holds me and sings a lullaby She's nice to see and she's soft to touch She says, "Cosette, I love you very much"

I know a place where no one's lost I know a place where no one cries Crying at all is not allowed Not in my castle on a cloud Now look who's here!

The little madam herself Pretending once again she's been so awfully good Better not let me catch you slacking! Better not catch my eye!

Ten rotten francs your mother sends me What is that going to buy?

Now take that pail My little mademoiselle And go and draw some water from the well We should never have taken you in in the first place How stupid the things that we do!

Like mother, like daughter, the scum of the street

Mama!

Eponine, come, my dear Eponine, let me see you You look very well in that little blue hat Oh.

There's some little girls who know how to behave And they know what to wear And I'm saying thank heaven for that!

Still there, Cosette? Your tears will do you no good!

I told you, fetch some water from the well in the wood Please do not send me out alone Not in the darkness on my own Now shut your face or I'll forget to be nice!

You heard me ask for something And I never ask twice

Wakey-wakey, we're opening.

I love you. I love you so much.

My band of soaks My den of dissolutes My dirty jokes Ugh!

My always pissed as newts My sons of whores No, no, no. Not tonight.

Spend their lives in my inn Wakey-wakey. Good boy, good boy, good boy.

Homing pigeons homing in They fly through my doors

And they crawl out on all fours Daddy, here.

Thank you, darling.

Such a gentleman.

Welcome, monsieur, sit yourself down And meet the best innkeeper in town As for the rest All of them crooks Rocking the guests And cooking the books Seldom do you see Honest men like me A gent of good intent who's content to be Master of the house Doling out the charm Ready with a handshake and an open palm Tells a saucy tale Makes a little stir Customers appreciate a bon viveur Glad to do a friend a favor Doesn't cost me to be nice But nothing gets you nothing Everything has got a little price

Master of the house Keeper of the zoo Ready to relieve them of a sou or two Watering the wine Making up the weight Picking up their knick-knacks When they can't see straight Everybody loves a landlord Everybody's bosom friend I do whatever pleases Jesus! Won't I bleed 'em in the end!

Master of the house! Quick to catch your eye Never wants a passerby to pass him by!

Servant to the poor Butler to the great Comforter, philosopher and lifelong mate Everybody's boon companion Everybody's chaperone But lock up your valises Jesus! Won't I skin you to the bone!

Food beyond compare Food beyond belief Mix it in a mincer And pretend it's beef Kidney of a horse Liver of a cat Filling up the sausages with this and that Residents are more than welcome Bridal suite is occupied Reasonable charges Plus some little extras on the side Oh, Santa!

Charge 'em for the lice Extra for the mice Two percent for looking in the mirror twice Hand it over! Here a little slice, there a little cut Three percent for sleeping with the windows shut When it comes to fixing prices There are a lot of tricks I knows How it all increases All those bits and pieces Jesus! It's amazing how it grows

Sorry, love. I must get something done about that.

I used to dream that I would meet a prince But, God almighty Have you seen what's happened since?

What? What?

"Master of the house" isn't worth my spit!

Comforter, philosopher and lifelong sh*t!

Cunning little brain Regular Voltaire Thinks he's quite a lover but there's not much there What a cruel trick of nature Landed me with such a louse God knows how I've lasted living with this bastard in the house Master of the house!

Master and a half!

Comforter, philosopher Don't make me laugh Servant to the poor Butler to the great Hypocrite and toady and inebriate!

Everybody bless the landlord!

Everybody bless his spouse!

Everybody raise a glass!

Raise it up the master's arse!

Everybody raise a glass to the master of the house I love you, too.

Everybody bless the landlord

Hush now Do not be afraid of me Don't hide Show me where you live Tell me, my child, what is your name?

I'm called Cosette

Mademoiselle. Can I help you with your bucket?

Whoa!

I found her wandering in the wood This little child, I found her trembling in the shadows And I am here to help Cosette I will settle any debt you may think proper I will pay what I must pay To take Cosette away

I love you.

This is a duty I must heed

And there is a promise I have made For I was blind to one in need I did not see what stood before me

Now your mother is with God

Her suffering is over

And I speak here with her voice And I stand here in her place

Come on.

And from this day, and evermore Let me take your coat, monsieur Cosette shall live in my protection You are very welcome here I will not forget my vow Take a drink Take a chair Cosette shall have a father now

What to do? What to say?

Shall you carry our treasure away?

What a gem! What a pearl!

Beyond rubles is our little girl How can we talk of debt?

Let's not haggle for darling Colette Cosette. Cosette Dear Fantine, gone to rest Have we done for her child what is best?

I think so.

Shared our bread, shared each bone Treated her like she's one of our own Yes, our own.

Like our own, monsieur!

The cost adds up.

Your feelings do you credit, sir And I will ease the parting blow Let us not talk of bargains and bones and greed Now may I say we are agreed?

That would quite fit the bill If she hadn't so often been ill Little dear, cost us dear Medicines are expensive, monsieur Not that we begrudged a sou It's no more than we Christians must do Than we Christians may do No more words! Here's your price Fifteen hundred for your sacrifice Come, Cosette, say goodbye Let us seek out some friendlier sky Thank you, both, for Cosette It won't take you too long to forget

Farewell, Courgette!

It's "Cosette." Cosette.

And, open.

It's for you.

Where I go, you will be Will you be like a papa to me?

Yes, Cosette This is true I'll be father and mother to you

Not bad. Not enough!

There's a copper at the door What the devil have you done?

Where's the child Cosette?

She's gone with a gent Didn't tell us where they went Didn't leave his home address

You're a bloody fool Look at what we got Should've struck the iron Struck it while it's hot!

Next time round, I promise I'm gonna get the lot Okay?

Suddenly you're here Suddenly it starts Can two anxious hearts b*at as one?

Yesterday I was alone Today you are beside me Something still unclear Something not yet here has begun

Suddenly the world seems a different place Somehow full of grace Full of light

How was I to know that so much hope Was held inside me?

What is passed is gone Now we journey on through the night How was I to know at last That happiness can come so fast?

Trusting me the way you do I'm so afraid of failing you Just a child who cannot know That danger follows where I go There are shadows everywhere And memories I cannot share Nevermore alone Nevermore apart You have warmed my heart like the sun

You have brought the gift of life And love so long denied me Suddenly I see What I could not see Something suddenly Has begun

Halt! Let's see your papers.

Where are you traveling?

Cosette. Cosette.

Give me the doll.

Come.

Valjean!

Come, Cosette. Come quickly!

Come on.

24601!

Cosette. I've got you. Come, come.

Valjean!

Who's there?

Please, monsieur.

I need your help.

Please, please.

Monsieur le Mayor?

Who are you?

Fauchelevent.

I fell under my cart.

You saved my life, monsieur.

Fauchelevent.

We need a place of sanctuary, this child and I.

We need to disappear.

We'll give thanks for what is granted What the sisters may ordain Come.

Here we pray for new beginnings Here our lives can start again

There, out in the darkness A fugitive running Fallen from God Fallen from grace God be my witness I never shall yield Till we come face to face Till we come face to face He knows his way in the dark Mine is the way of the Lord Those who follow the path of the righteous Shall have their reward And if they fall as Lucifer fell The flames! The sword!

Stars in your multitudes Scarce to be counted Filling the darkness With order and light You are the sentinels Silent and sure Keeping watch in the night Keeping watch in the night You know your place in the sky You hold your course and your aim And each in your season returns and returns And is always the same And if you fall as Lucifer fell You fall in flames!

And so it must be, for so it is written On the doorway to paradise That those who falter and those who fall Must pay the price

Lord, let me find him That I may see him Safe behind bars!

I will never rest till then!

This I swear This I swear by the stars!

Come on, boys!

Come on.

Look down and see the beggars at your feet!

Look down and show some mercy if you can Look down and see the sweepings of the street!

Look down, look down upon your fellow man!

How do you do? My name's Gavroche These are my people, here's my patch Not much to look at, nothing posh Nothing that you'd call up to scratch This is my school, my high society Here in the slums of Saint Michel We live on crumbs of humble piety Tough on the teeth, but what the hell Think you're poor? Think you're free?

Follow me! Follow me!

Look down and show some mercy if you can!

Look down, look down upon your fellow man Wait, Gavroche!

There was a time we k*lled the king We tried to change the world too fast Now we have got another king He is no better than the last This is the land that fought for liberty Now when we fight, we fight for bread!

Here is the thing about equality Everyone's equal when they're dead Take your place! Take your chance!

Vive la France! Vive la France!

Look down and show some mercy if you can!

Look down, look down upon your fellow man When's this gonna end?

When we gonna live?

Something's gotta happen now Something's gotta give it'll come, it'll come, it'll come it'll come, it'll come Where are the leaders of the land?

Where is the king who runs this show?

Only one man, General Lamarque Speaks for the people here below!

Lamarque is ill and fading fast Won't last a week out, so they say With all the anger in the land How long before the Judgment Day?

Before we cut the fat ones down to size?

Death to the king!

Liberty for France!

Before the barricades arise?

Death to the king!

Tell your friends. We come tomorrow.

We meet here at General Lamarque's house. Bring your friends.

Vive General Lamarque!

Marius! Grandfather!

Have you any idea of the shame you bring on our family?

An utter disgrace.

Marius.

Vive General Lamarque! Vive General Lamarque!

Hey there, monsieur, what's new with you?

Plotting to overthrow the state?

You still pretending to be poor Come on, I know your grandpa's rich Won't take a franc that I've not earned All of those bridges have been b*rned I like the way you talk, monsieur!

I like the way you always tease

Little he knows Little he sees

Here, take this.

Eponine!

Everyone here, you know your place Brujon, Babet, Claquesous You, Montparnasse, watch for the law With Eponine, take care You turn on the tears No mistakes, my dears

Please, monsieur, come this way Here's a child that ain't eaten today Save a life, spare a sou God rewards all the good that you do Wait a bit! Know that face!

Ain't the world a remarkable place!

Men like me don't forget You're the bastard that borrowed Colette!

Cosette. Whatever.

What is this? Are you mad?

No, monsieur, you don't know what you say!

You know me! I know you!

And you'll pay what we're due And you'd better dig deep

'Cause she doesn't come cheap Brujon.

It's the police! Disappear!

Run for it! It's Javert!

Cosette! Papa.

Another brawl in the square Another stink in the air Was there a witness to this? Well, let him speak to Javert!

Monsieur, these streets are not safe But let these vermin beware We'll see that justice is done Look upon this fine collection Crawled from underneath a stone This swarm of worms and maggots Could have picked you to the bone I know this man over here I know his name and his trade And on your witness, monsieur, I'll see him suitably paid

But where's the gentleman gone?

And why on Earth would he run?

You will have a job to find him He's not all he seems to be And that girl he trails behind him Is the child he stole from me Yeah, and me.

Yeah, both of us.

Could it be he's that old jailbird That the tide now washes in?

Heard my name and started running All the omens point to him In the absence of a victim Dear Inspector, may I go?

And remember When you've nicked him It was me what told you so Let the old man keep on running I will run him off his feet!

Everyone, about your business Clear this garbage off the street

Cosette! Now I remember Cosette! How can it be?

We were children together Look what's become of me

Eponine! Who was that girl?

That bourgeois two-a-penny thing Eponine, find her for me!

What will you give me?

Anything!

Got you all excited now But God knows what you see in her Aren't you all delighted now?

No, I don't want your money, sir

Eponine, do this for me Discover where she lives But careful how you go Don't let your father know Eponine! I'm lost until she's found You see? I told you so There's lots of things I know

'Ponine She knows her way around

The time is near So near it's stirring the blood in their veins And yet beware!

Don't let the wine go to your brains We need a sign to rally the people To call them to arms And to bring them in line!

Marius, wake up! What's wrong today?

You look as if you've seen a ghost Some wine, and say what's going on A ghost, you say? A ghost maybe She was just like a ghost to me One minute there, then she was gone I am agog! I am aghast!

Is Marius in love at last?

I've never heard him "Ooh" and "Aah"

You talk of battles to be won And here he comes like Don Juan It is better than an opera!

It is time for us all to decide who we are Do we fight for the right to a night at the opera now?

Have you asked of yourself What's the price you might pay?

Is this simply a game for a rich young boy to play?

The colors of the world are changing day by day Red, the blood of angry men!

Black, the dark of ages past!

Red, a world about to dawn!

Black, the night that ends at last!

Had you seen her today you might know how it feels To be struck to the bone in a moment of breathless delight!

Had you been there today you might also have known How your world may be changed in just one burst of light And what was right seems wrong And what was wrong seems right Red!

I feel my soul on fire!

Black!

My world if she's not there!

Red!

The color of desire!

Black!

The color of despair!

Marius, you're no longer a child I do not doubt you mean it well But now there is a higher call I know.

Who cares about your lonely soul?

We strive towards a larger goal Our little lives don't count at all!

Red!

The blood of angry men!

Black!

The dark of ages past!

Red!

A world about to dawn!

Black!

The night that ends at last!

Listen, everybody!

General Lamarque is dead.

Lamarque, his death is the hour of fate The people's man

His death is the sign we await!

On his funeral day they will honor his name With the light of rebellion ablaze in their eyes From their candles of grief we will kindle our flame On the tomb of Lamarque shall our barricade rise!

The time is here!

Let us welcome it gladly with courage and cheer!

Let us take to the streets with no doubt in our hearts But a jubilant shout!

They will come one and all!

They will come when we call!

Did you find her?

How strange This feeling that my life's begun at last This change Can people really fall in love so fast?

What's the matter with you, Cosette?

Have you been too much on your own?

So many things unclear So many things unknown

In my life There are so many questions and answers That somehow seem wrong In my life There are times when I catch in the silence The sigh of a faraway song And it sings Of a world that I long to see Out of reach Just a whisper away Waiting for me Does he know I'm alive? Do I know if he's real?

Does he see what I see? Does he feel what I feel?

In my life I'm no longer alone Now the love in my life is so near Find me now Find me here

Dear Cosette You're such a lonely child How pensive, how sad you seem to me Believe me, were it within my power I'd fill each passing hour How quiet it must be, I can see With only me for company There's so little I know that I'm longing to know Of the man that you were in a time long ago Please, Cosette.

There's so little you say of the life you have known Why you keep to yourself Why you're always alone So dark So dark and deep The secrets that you keep In my life Please forgive what I say You are loving and gentle and good But Papa, dear Papa In your eyes I am still like that child who was lost in a wood No more words No more words It's a time that is dead There are words That are better unheard Better unsaid In my life I'm no longer a child and I yearn for the truth that you know Of the years, years ago You will learn Truth is given by God to us all in our time In our turn

In my life She has burst like the music of angels The light of the sun And my life seems to stop as if something is over And something has scarcely begun!

Eponine, you're the friend who has brought me here Thanks to you I'm at one with the gods And heaven is near!

And I soar through a world that is new That is free Every word that he says is a dagger in me In my life There's been no one like him anywhere Anywhere, where he is If he asked, I'd be his In my life There is someone who touches my life Waiting near Waiting here

A heart full of love

A heart full of song I'm doing everything all wrong Oh God, for shame I do not even know your name Dear mademoiselle Won't you Say?

Will you tell?

A heart full of love No fear, no regret My name is Marius Pontmercy And mine's Cosette Cosette, I don't know what to say Then make no sound I am lost I am found A heart full of love He was never mine to lose A heart full of you A single look and then I knew Why regret what could not be?

I knew it, too These are words he'll never say Not to me From today Not to me Not for me Every day His heart full of love For it isn't a dream He will never feel this way Not a dream after all

Cosette?

Cosette, what are you doing?

I told you to stay inside.

Who is this hussy?

It's your brat Eponine! Don't you know your own kid?

Why's she hanging about here?

Eponine, get on home You're not needed in this We're enough here without you I know this house, I tell you There's nothing here for you Just the old man and the girl They live ordinary lives Don't interfere You've got some gall Take care, young miss You've got a lot to say I'm gonna scream! I'm gonna warn them here!

One little scream and you'll regret it for a year!

My God, Cosette!

You wait, my girl! You'll rue this night!

I'll make you scream!

You'll scream all right!

Police!

Must be Javert He's found my cover at last I've got to get Cosette away We'll go to our apartment at Rue de I'Homme Armé, it's safer there.

Then I'll arrange our passage to England. No.

Hurry, Cosette! Prepare to leave Say no more Tonight we'll away Please, Papa, we can't! Hurry, Cosette!

It's time to close another door and live another day!

Get dressed, we're leaving. Now!

Please, no!

On my own Pretending he's beside me All alone I walk with him till morning Without him I feel his arms around me And when I lose my way I close my eyes And he has found me In the rain The pavement shines like silver All the lights Are misty in the river In the darkness the trees are full of starlight And all I see is him and me forever and forever

And I know It's only in my mind That I'm talking to myself And not to him And although I know that he is blind Still I say There's a way for us I love him But when the night is over He is gone, the river's just a river Without him the world around me changes The trees are bare and everywhere the streets are full of strangers I love him But every day I'm learning All my life I've only been pretending Without me, his world will go on turning A world that's full of happiness That I have never known

I love him

I love him

I love him

But only on my own

One day more Another day, another destiny This never-ending road to Calvary These men who seem to know my crime will surely come a second time One day more I did not live until today

How can I live when we are parted?

One day more Tomorrow you'll be worlds away And yet with you my world has started

One more day all on my own Will we ever meet again?

One more day with him not caring I was born to be with you What a life I might have known And I swear I will be true But he never saw me there One more day before the storm Do I follow where she goes?

At the barricades of freedom!

Shall I join my brothers there?

When our ranks begin to form Do I stay and do I dare?

Will you take your place with me?

The time is now!

The day is here!

One day more!

One day more to revolution We will nip it in the bud We'll be ready for these schoolboys They will wet themselves with blood!

One day more!

Watch 'em run amuck Catch 'em as they fall Never know your luck when there's a free-for-all Here's a little dip There a little touch Most of them are goners So they won't miss much!

One day to a new beginning Raise the flag of freedom high!

Every man will be a king!

There's a new world for the winning!

There's a new world to be won Do you hear the people sing?

My place is here!

I fight with you!

One day more!

We will join these people's heroes We will follow where they go One more day all on my own We will learn their little secrets We will know the things they know One day more!

Tomorrow you'll be worlds away One more day to revolution What a life I might have known We will nip it in the bud And yet with you my world has started We'll be ready for these schoolboys Tomorrow will be far away Tomorrow is the judgment day Tomorrow we'll discover What our God in heaven has in store One more dawn!

One more day!

One day more!

Do you hear the people sing Singing the song of angry men?

It is the music of a people who will not be slaves again When the b*ating of your heart Echoes the b*ating of the drums There is a life about to start when tomorrow comes!

Will you join in our crusade?

Who will be strong and stand with me?

Beyond the barricade is there a world you long to see?

Then join in the fight That will give you the right to be free!

It is the music of a people who will not be slaves again!

When the b*ating of your heart echoes the b*ating of the drums There is a life about to start when tomorrow comes!

Will you give all you can give So that our banner may advance?

Some will fall and some will live Will you stand up and take your chance?

The blood of the martyrs will water the meadows of France!

It is the music of a people who will not be slaves again!

When the b*ating of your heart echoes the b*ating of the drums There is a life about to start when tomorrow comes!

Halt!

Draw!

She's an innocent woman!

m*rder*r!

Come here, you!

Charge!

Push them to the right.

Thank you, sir. Thank you, monsieur.

To the barricades!

Vive la France!

Get to the barricade!

Come on!

Get down! Get down!

Go, go, go!

Get off your arse! It's begun!

The barricade!

Sorry, madame. Thank you. What are you doing?

We need as much furniture as you can throw down!

Throw everything you have!

Below!

Watch yourself, watch yourself.

Go on, boys!

No!

Thank you, madame.

I need a volunteer!

Someone who can find out their plan and when they will att*ck.

I can find out the truth I know their ways Fought their wars Served my time In the days Of my youth See? The people unite!

I pray you're right Dogs will bark Fleas will bite!

They will do what is right

Red, the blood of angry men!

Black, the dark of ages past!

Red, a world about to dawn!

Black, the night that ends at last!

He's back!

Listen, my friends I have done as I said I have been to their lines I have counted each man I will tell what I can Better beware They have armies to spare And our danger is real We will need all our cunning to bring them to heel Have faith!

If you know what their movements are we'll spoil their game There are ways that a people can fight We shall overcome their power!

I have overheard their plans There will be no att*ck tonight They intend to starve you out Before they start a proper fight Concentrate their force Hit us when it's light Liar!

Good evening, dear Inspector Lovely evening, my dear!

I know this man, my friends His name's Inspector Javert!

So don't believe a word he says because none of it's true This only goes to show what little people can do Bravo, little Gavroche You're the top of the class So what are we going to do with this snake in the grass?

Take this man and throw him in the tavern in there The people will decide your fate, Inspector Javert sh**t me now or sh**t me later Every schoolboy to his sport!

Death to each and every traitor!

I renounce your people's court!

We keep looking forward!

To your positions.

Move!

Now, hold your fire. Hold your fire.

Front rank, kneel!

Save your gunpowder.

Take aim!

Get down.

Who's there?

French Revolution!

Fire!

They're coming!

They're coming over the barricades!

Get back!

Marius! No!

Marius! What are you doing?

Get down!

Marius, watch out!

Get down!

No!

Fall back!

Fall back, or I blow the barricade!

Blow it up and take yourself with it!

Christ!

And myself with it.

Back! Back!

Man the barricade!

What were you thinking, Marius?

You could have gotten us all k*lled!

Marius, you saved us all.

My life is not yours to risk!

Eponine. What are you doing?

I kept it from you.

It's from Cosette.

The rain's going to ruin the powder.

I'm sorry.

What have you done?

'Ponine.

Don't you fret, Monsieur Marius I don't feel any pain A little fall of rain Can hardly hurt me now

You're here That's all I need to know And you will keep me safe And you will keep me close And rain will make the flowers grow But you will live, 'Ponine Dear God above!

If I could close your wounds with words of love Just hold me now, and let it be Shelter me, comfort me Hush-a-bye, dear Eponine So don't you fret, Monsieur Marius You won't feel any pain I don't feel any pain A little fall of rain A little fall of rain Can hardly hurt you now Can hardly hurt me now I'm here That's all I need to know And I will stay with you And you will keep me safe Till you are sleeping And you will keep me close

And rain Will make the flowers

Grow

Gavroche, will you do something for me?

Anything. Without you, I'd have bitten the dust.

Letter from the barricade.

From the barricade?

I'll take it.

Something for me, something for you. Who needs charity?

Boy.

You stay away from there, you understand?

"Dearest Cosette, you have entered my soul"

"And soon you will be gone"

"Can it be only a day since we met and the world was reborn?"

"If I should fall in the battle to come let this be my goodbye"

"Now that I know that you love..."

"You love me as well It is harder to die"

"I pray that God will bring me home to be with you"

"Pray for your Marius"

"He prays for you"

Oh, God.

This is the day that most I feared Now a young man has appeared to change my life This Marius will take away the treasure of my autumn days to be his wife But he could die tonight

I must find this boy

Don't sh**t! Don't sh**t!

I come here as a volunteer.

You see...

You see that prisoner over there?

A volunteer like you!

A spy who calls himself Javert!

He's going to get it, too!

Get in there. Get inside.

Don't k*ll him. I know him.

Enemy marksman!

On the roof! On the roof!

On the roof!

Where are they? Where are they?

We'll take the left.

We'll take the right.

Eyes forward!

Eyes to the roofs, eyes to the roofs.

Thank you, monsieur.

Give me no thanks, monsieur There's something you can do If it is in my power Give me the spy Javert! Let me take care of him

Do what you have to do The man belongs to you No. Enjolras.

We meet again You've hungered for this all your life Take your revenge How right you should k*ll with a Kn*fe

Get out of here Don't understand Clear out of here

Once a thief, forever a thief What you want, you always steal You would trade your life for mine Yes, Valjean, you want a deal sh**t me now for all I care!

If you let me go, beware! You'll still answer to Javert!

You are wrong and always have been wrong

I'm a man no worse than any man And you are free and there are no conditions No bargains or petitions There's nothing that I blame you for You've done your duty, nothing more

If I come out of this alive...

You will find me at Rue de I'Homme Armé, number 5

No doubt our paths will cross again.

Courfeyrac, you take the watch They may att*ck before it's light Everybody, keep the faith For certain as our banner flies We are not alone The people too must rise Marius.

Rest.

Drink with me To days gone by!

To the life that used to be At the shrine of friendship never say die Let the wine of friendship never run dry Here's to you and here's to me!

Do I care if I should die now she goes across the sea?

Life without Cosette means nothing at all Would you weep, Cosette, if I were to fall?

Would you weep, Cosette For me?

God on high

Hear my prayer In my need

You have always been there

He is young He's afraid Let him rest Heaven blessed Bring him home

Bring him home

He's like the son I might have known If God had granted me a son The summers die One by one How soon they fly On and on And I am old And will be gone

Bring him peace Bring him JOY He is young He is only a boy

You can take You can give Let him be Let him live If I die

Let me die

Let him live Bring him home

Bring him home

Bring him Home!

Enjolras, the rain has damaged the gunpowder.

We're low on amm*nit*on.

We're the only barricade left.

What?

We're the only ones left.

The people have not stirred We are abandoned by those who still live in fear Let us not waste lives Let all who wish to Go from here

It is the music of a people who will not be slaves again When the b*ating of your heart echoes the b*ating of the drums There is a life about to start when tomorrow comes!

Enjolras, we need more amm*nit*on.

I'm going into the colonnade. There are dead bodies there, dry amm*nit*on.

The gunpowder is wet through.

Let's round it up. Let's get everything out here.

Little people know when little people fight We may look easy pickings Gavroche.

But we've got some bite!

Come here.

So never kick a dog because he's just a pup

Gavroche!

We'll fight like 20 armies and we won't give up Gavroche! Gavroche, what are you doing?

Someone pull him back!

You dirty bastard!

So you'd better run for cover When the pup...

Grows...

You at the barricades, listen to this!

The people of Paris sleep in their beds!

You have no chance No chance at all Why throw your lives away?

Let us die facing our foes Make them bleed while we can Make them pay through the nose Make them pay for every man Let others rise to take our place Until the Earth is free!

Cannons!

Quick as you can! Come on!

Look lively!

Far right first.

Wait for it!

Fire!

Marius.

They're bringing in replacements.

Second cannon!

Fire!

Fire!

Take aim!

Fire!

Take cover, boy!

There's more men! There's more men, Enjolras!

Cannons ready!

Fire!

Cannons ready!

And fire!

Advance!

Watch out!

Please!

Open the door!

Please!

We need the door! We need to barricade the door!

Marius! Marius!

Take positions!

Steady, lads!

Go! They're coming!

Thank you!

Long live the revolution!

Here's a pretty ring.

Oh.

Hello.

You're alive! I saved you!

You!

How do I get out of here? It's that way!

All the way down and to the left!

It's you, Javert I knew you wouldn't wait too long The faithful servant at his post once more This man's done no wrong He needs a doctor's care I warned you I would not give in! I won't be swayed!

Another hour yet Then I'm yours All our debts are paid The man of mercy comes again And talks of justice!

Come, time is running short!

Look down, Javert He's standing in his grave!

One more step and you die.

Who is this man? What sort of devil is he?

To have me caught in a trap and choose to let me go free?

It was his hour at last to put a seal on my fate Wipe out the past and wash me clean off the slate AH it would take was a flick of his Kn*fe Vengeance was his and he gave me back my life!

Damned if I live in the debt of a thief!

Damned if I yield at the end of the chase!

I am the law and the law is not mocked!

I'll spit his pity right back in his face!

There is nothing on Earth that we share!

It is either Valjean or Javert!

And my thoughts fly apart Can this man be believed?

Shall his sins be forgiven?

Shall his crimes be reprieved?

And must I now begin to doubt Who never doubted all these years?

My heart is stone and still it trembles The world I have known is lost in shadow Is he from heaven or from hell?

And does he know That granting me my life today

This man has k*lled me even so?

I am reaching but I fall And the stars are black and cold As I stare into the void of a world that cannot hold I'll escape now from that world From the world of Jean Valjean There is nowhere I can turn There is no way to go on

Did you see them going off to fight?

Children of the barricade who didn't last the night Did you see them lying where they d*ed?

Someone used to cradle them and kiss them when they cried Did you see them lying side by side?

There's a grief that can't be spoken

There's a pain goes on and on

Empty chairs at empty tables Now my friends are dead and gone

Here they talked of revolution Here it was they lit the flame Here they sang about tomorrow And tomorrow never came

From the table in the corner They could see a world reborn And they rose with voices ringing And I can hear them now The very words that they have sung Became their last communion

On this lonely barricade At dawn

Oh, my friends, my friends, forgive me That I live and you are gone There's a grief that can't be spoken There's a pain goes on and on Phantom faces at the windows Phantom shadows on the floor Empty chairs at empty tables Where my friends will meet no more Oh, my friends, my friends Don't ask me What your sacrifice was for Empty chairs at empty tables

Where my friends will sing No more

Every day you walk with stronger step You walk with longer step The worst is over Don't think about it, Marius!

With all the years ahead of us!

I will never go away And we will be together every day

Every day We'll remember that night And the vow that we made A heart full of love She was never mine to keep A night full of you She is youthful, she is free The words are old but always true Cosette, Cosette!

Love is the garden of the young I saw you waiting and I knew Thank God you are here Waiting for you Let it be At your feet Thank God you are home Let it be A heart full of love And it wasn't a dream This I give you this day Not a dream after all

Monsieur, this is a day I never can forget Is gratitude enough for giving me Cosette?

Your home shall be with us And not a day shall pass But we will prove our love To you, whom we shall call A father to us both A father to us all Not another word, my son

There's something now that must be done

There lived a man whose name was Jean Valjean

He stole some bread to save his sister's son

For 19 winters he served his time

In sweat he washed away his crime

Years ago He broke parole and lived a life apart How could he tell Cosette and break her heart?

Marius...

It's for Cosette this must be faced If he is caught, she is disgraced The time has come to journey on And from this day he must be gone

Who am I?

Who am I?

You're Jean Valjean Monsieur, you cannot leave Whatever I tell my beloved Cosette She will never believe Tell her I've gone on a journey A long way away Tell her my heart was too full for farewells It is better this way Promise me, monsieur Cosette will never know What I have spoken Why I must go

For the sake of Cosette

It must be so Thank you, Marius.

Where's he gone without a word?

That wouldn't be his way to go Why so sudden, why so strange?

Oh, did he say how long he'll be gone?

AH he asked for me to say is he's on a journey far away He can't leave us now How he breaks my heart And we will never be apart

I promise you.

The Baron and Baroness du Thénard.

Go away, Thenardier!

Do you think I don't know who you are?

He's not fooled Told you so Show monsieur what you've come here to show Tell the boy what you know Pity to disturb you at a feast like this But 500 francs surely wouldn't come amiss In God's name, say what you have to say He speaks You pay!

What I saw, clear as light Jean Valjean in the sewers one night Had this corpse on his back Some boy he had k*lled in a vicious att*ck I was there, never fear I even found me this fine souvenir I know this This is mine This is surely some heavenly sign Then it's true Then I'm right Jean Valjean was my savior that night Jean Valjean, the old con You pay up or I'll say where he's gone Where is he?

Where is he?

The convent!

Cosette, come with me. Come with me.

Watch the buggers dance Watch 'em till they drop!

Keep your wits about you and you'll stand on top!

Masters of the land Always get our share Clear away the barricades and we're still there We know where the wind is blowing Money is the stuff we smell And when we're rich as Croesus Jesus! Won't we see you all in hell!

How dare you!

Alone I wait in the shadows I count the hours until I sleep

I dreamed a dream Cosette stood by It made her weep to know I die

Alone at the end of the day Upon this wedding night I pray Take these children, my Lord, to Thy embrace And show them grace

God on high

Hear my prayer

Take me now

To Thy care

Where You are Let me be

Take me now

Take me there

Bring me home

Bring me home

Monsieur, I bless your name I am ready, Fantine Monsieur, lay down your burden At the end of my days You raised my child in love She's the best of my life And you will be with God Oh!

Oh...

Fantine.

Papa, Papa, I do not understand Are you all right? Why did you go away?

Cosette, my child! Am I forgiven now?

Thank God, thank God I've lived to see this day!

It's you who must forgive a thoughtless fool It's you who must forgive a thankless man It's thanks to you that I am living And again I lay down my life at your feet Cosette, your father is a saint When they wounded me He took me from the barricade Carried like a babe And brought me home to you

Now you are here

Again beside me

Now I can die in peace For now my life is blessed You will live, Papa You're going to live It's too soon Too soon to say goodbye Yes, Cosette, forbid me now to die!

I'll obey

I will try On this page I write my last confession

Read it well when I at last am sleeping

It's the story Of one who turned from hating A man who only learned to love When you were in his keeping I know it, Papa.

Come with me Where chains will never bind you I am ready, Fantine.

All your grief At last, at last behind you Lord in heaven Look down on him in mercy Forgive me all my trespasses And take me to Your glory

Take my hand I'll lead you to salvation Take my love For love is everlasting And remember The truth that once was spoken To love another person Is to see the face of God

Do you hear the people sing lost in the valley of the night?

It is the music of a people who are climbing to the light For the wretched of the Earth There is a flame that never dies Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise We will live again in freedom In the garden of the Lord We will walk behind the plowshare We will put away the sword The chain will be broken and all men will have their reward!

Somewhere beyond the barricade Is there a world you long to see?

Do you hear the people sing?

Say, do you hear the distant drums?

It is the future that we bring when tomorrow comes!

Somewhere beyond the barricade Is there a world you long to see?

Do you hear the people sing?

Say, do you hear the distant drums?

It is the future that we bring when tomorrow comes!