5x04 - The Little Prince

Complete collection from season 1 to 6. Aired: September 2004 to May 2010.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

The survivors of a plane crash are forced to work together in order to survive on a seemingly deserted tropical island.

5x04 - The Little Prince

Post by bunniefuu »

[A pitch black night with Penny’s boat, the Searcher, illuminated sets the scene. Switch to a close-up of Jack thoughtfully staring into the night's abyss. Kate comes on deck holding a sleeping Aaron swathed in a black blanket, she approaches Jack.]

JACK: [quietly] Hey…

KATE: Ahh you don’t have to whisper. [smiling]When he’s out, he’s out.

JACK: Huh..[returns smile] At least one of us can sleep.

KATE: It’s gonna take more than 2 nights for me to get used to sleeping in a normal bed. (Jack nods in agreement] What are we gonna do about him?...About Aaron?

JACK: I don’t know.

KATE: Been thinking a lot about it. Did you know Claire was flying to L.A. to give him up for adoption?

JACK: No, no I didn’t.

[Both walk to the left corner of the boats aft and sit on a small bench, Aaron is still fast asleep though makes a small baby noise and buries his head further into Kate shoulder.]

KATE: [looking troubled] I think we should say he’s mine.

JACK: What..?

KATE: We could say that I was 6 months pregnant when I was arrested ‘n’ I gave birth to him on the island. No one would ever know.

JACK: Kate, you know you don’t have to.. [pause]There’s other ways to do this.

KATE: After everyone we’ve lost, Michael, Jin and Sawyer…I cant lose him too.

JACK: [compassionately] Sawyer's not dead.

KATE: I know, but he’s gone (meaningful glances] Good night Jack [Kate gets up to leave]

JACK: Kate, if we're gonna be safe, if we're gonna protect the people we left behind, tomorrow morning I'm going to have to convince everyone to lie. If its just me they're never gonna go for it. So I’m going to turn to you first. Are you with me?

KATE: [steps back towards Jack, smiling] I have always been with you.

[Kate leaves the scene. Fade to black, ‘TITLE – Three Years Later’. Kate is checking herself out in the mirror - make up, smart clothes, hair straightened. The sound of an opening door. Cut to a view of Sun walking in towards Kate.]

SUN: How does it feel?

KATE: It’s perfect. Thank you for the loner.

SUN: Looks great on you.

[View changes to reveal posh hotel room, with Aaron seated on a chair near draped curtains.]

SUN: Are you sure you want to do this?

KATE: It was your idea.

AARON: Mommy.

KATE: [walks toward Aaron] Aaron, honey, mommy’s gonna run out and do an errand. I'll be right back, ok, and then we can go home.

[Kate helps with Aarons food.]

SUN: Don’t worry about us Kate. There’s candy and a mini-bar and a 100 channels on TV. We're going to be just fine here.

KATE: Sun, I don’t know what I woulda of done if you weren’t here. Thank you.

SUN: It's what any friend would do.

[Kaye smiles, walks towards door grabbing handbag on her way.]

KATE: OK, well I will be back soon. OK, you be good for Sun. OK honey?

[Aaron nods yes. [Cut to outside hotel room door as Kate opens it to leave whilst Sun stands in doorway.]

SUN: Good luck.

[Kate smiles and leaves walking past a hotel employee who approaches Sun in doorway and holding a neat white large padded envelope.]

DELIVERY MAN DEREK: Delivery for you Miss Kwon.

SUN: Thank you.

[Derek leaves package in Sun's hands and departs. Sun closes door]

SUN: [to Aaron] I’ll be right back honey.

[Cut to Sun sitting on plain looking bed with open envelope. Sun pulls out a white plastic file container, upon opening file, a report is revealed headlined by ‘Surveillance Date Investigations, Inc.’ Sun turns 3 pages and pulls from the back a B&W surveillance picture of Ben & Jack walking passed a car parked up, then a close-up picture with them opening the doors of a black transit van. Behind Jack in a print stuck on a door that only reveals the words ‘Hoffs Funeral.’ Next Sun removes a brownish/gold gift box which upon opening reveals a layer of fancy chocolates. Removing the tray, the box is shown to contain a g*n, a silver and black Glock, with an inscription on side of sz113. Sun doesn’t look surprised. She picks up the g*n and studies it intently. Fade to black].

[LOST identity swoosh sh*t.]

[On island, Miles is filling his liquor bottle with water from a clean running stream. He stands up tightening the lid. Running, scene flips to a portrait of Charlotte's bloodied nostrils, unconscious. Juliette and Dan kneeling, paying attention to her.]

JULIET: Charlotte. Charlotte.

SAWYER: [Approaches scene] What the hell's wrong with her? She’s been out for over 10 minutes.

JULIET: Stop shouting James.

[Sawyer has a look of indignation on his face.]

MILES: [approaches] Hey man. [hands over water]

DANIEL: Thank you. [dampens cloth/hanky and puts to Charlottes forehead]

JULIET: If there’s something you wanted to tell me, Daniel, now would be a good time.

DANIEL: Not sure what you mean exactly.

SAWYER: [annoyed] She’s asking if you know why your girlfriend had a seizure.

JULIET: Give us some space will you?

SAWYER: She’s like this cause the sky keeps lighting up. [pointing to Daniel] He knew this would happen and he didn’t say squat about it.

JULIET: [calmly] James, go away.

[Sawyer stomps off toward Locke who is keeping a respectable distance.]

JULIET: Did you know this was going to happen?

DANIEL: 7 minutes. [mumbles] I think its neurological. Our brains have an internal clock, a sense of time. The flashes throw the clock off. Its like really bad jet lag.

JULIET: But bad jet lag doesn’t make you hemorrhage Daniel. You wanna tell me why it isn't happening to the rest of us?

DANIEL: I don’t know [Lost chime] Thank God it's not. [Tends to Charlotte]

[Cut to view of city street from above, then close-up of Kate looking out of a window. A door closes. Cut to view of modern tidy office in high-rise, the lawyer, Dan Norton (of the law firm Agostini and Norton) enters.]

NORTON: Thank you for waiting. Did my assistant offer you something to drink?

KATE: Yes, I’m fine thank you.

NORTON: Good. Please, Miss.Austen, sit. [Invites chair, both sit, facing each other] So, how can I help you?

KATE: Mr. Norton, when you came to my house looking for blood samples from me and my son, I asked you who your client was.

NORTON: And I said I couldn’t tell you.

KATE: Yeah, I’m here to offer you a deal. I’ll give you the blood samples, but first I wanna talk to your client. Considering what you're asking for, that’s more than reasonable.

NORTON: Well, I am going to see my client later today and I will be sure to pass along your offer, [Kate looks to leave, Lawyer sternly butts in] but I am pretty sure what the answer is gonna be. No. [Kate squirms] And the reason, of course, is because you're not in a position to be making any kind of deals, and we both know it. I have a signed court order compelling you to let us confirm that you’re the child's mother. I can send the sheriff over there today and make you do it but my client insists that we…handle the exchange of custody quietly.

KATE: What do you mean exchange of custody?

NORTON: You know exactly what I mean.

KATE: No…….Mr. Norton…I just wanna know who is doing this to me.

NORTON: You did this to yourself. Now it is time you prepare yourself Miss. Austen. You are going to lose the boy. [LOST string ensemble]

[Cut to previous on-island scene with Sawyer standing near. Locke is looking back at Charlotte’s drama. Juliette attends.]

LOCKE: [unrepentantly] We have to go back to the Orchid.

SAWYER: S’cuse me?

LOCKE: The Orchid. That’s where all this started. Maybe that’s where it will all stop.

SAWYER: The greenhouse is a long way away.

LOCKE: You said we had a Zodiac raft back at the beach. We could take that, cut around the horn of the island and get to the Orchid in half the time.

SAWYER: And let me guess, you know exactly what to do when we get there.

LOCKE: Not exactly at all but I know Ben used it to leave the island and if I can do the same thing. I believe I can save us.

SAWYER: And how you gonna do that?

LOCKE: This is all happening because they left. I think it’ll stop if I can bring them back.

SAWYER: Bring who back?

LOCKE: Jack, Sun, Sayid, Hugo, Kate.

SAWYER: But the boat blew up and that chopper was probably on it.

LOCKE: [shakes head] They're not dead James.

SAWYER: Says who?

LOCKE: That doesn’t matter. All that matters is they gotta come back. I have to make them come back even if it kills me. Don’t you want them to come back too James? Don’t you want her to come back?

SAWYER: [sullen] Doesn’t matter what I want.

[Shout from of screen]

MILES: Hey! She’s waking up.

[Close-up of Charlotte's face. Groggily she opens her eyes, her head between Daniels hands.]

DANIEL: You ok?

CHARLOTTE: Who are you?

DANIEL: It’s me. It’s Daniel.

CHARLOTTE: [Smile] Daniel.. [Groan of pain as Charlotte attempts to sit up] Agh my head. What happened?

DANIEL: There was another flash, you passed out, how do you feel?

CHARLOTTE: Bit dizzy but I’m fine.

DANIEL: Good.

MILES: Hooray. Everything’s back to normal. Now what?

SAWYER: I’ll tell you now what. We're going to the Orchid.

[Miles and Locke exchange glances as Sawyer leads way into jungle. Cut to small finger light. Jack is checking out Sayid’s eyes in the hospital room].

JACK: Dilation's almost back to normal.

SAYID: Good, now take the I.V. out of my arm and let's go.

JACK: Sayid you were unconscious for over 42 hours. You had the equivalent of 3 doses of horse tranquilizer in your system.

SAYID: If you’ve sent that man to Hurley’s house, we have to leave now…

JACK: You need to relax. Ben is not gonna hurt Hurley. Ben is on our side.

SAYID: The only side he is on is his own.

DOCTOR ALISA: [opens door] Dr. Shephard. I’m Dr.Alisa, Director of Clinical Services. A word with you please.

JACK: [to Sayid] I’ll be right back.

[Cut to Jack & Dr.Alisa walking outside Sayid's hospital room]

DR. ALISA: [scolding] What do you think you're doing here?

JACK: I was treating a patient. I apologise. It was an emergency, and I will….

DR. ALISA: You were suspended on charges of substance abuse. Emergency or not Dr. Shepard, you have no business being here.

JACK: I understand and I take full responsibility for my actions.

DR. ALISA: No doctor, the hospital takes full responsibility for your actions and that makes us liable for them.

[Jack's phone rings]

JACK: Excuse me. [Jack wanders off]

HURLEY: [on phone] Jack? It’s me.

JACK: Hurley.

[Cut to close up of Hurley’s face]

HURLEY: Hey, did Sayid get to you? Did my dad drop him off?

JACK: Yes he did. Hurley where are…

HURLEY: [on phone] He ok?

JACK: He’s fine.

HURLEY: Awesome.

JACK: [on phone] Hurley where are you?

[Cut from close-up of Hurley to show the phone area of a correctional facility, Hurley squeezed into bright orange overalls]

HURLEY: Dude, I’m totally cool, I’m in L.A. County lockup. Oh and tell Sayid I did exactly what he said. I’m totally safe. Ben's never gonna get me now.

JACK: What are you talking about? Hurley? (Muffled Hurley on phone] Wait wai, wai….[Hurley hangs up, Jack closes phone frustrated. The sound of a door creaking captures his attention, a dark haired figure approaches]

BEN: Good you’re here. How’s Sayid? [Jack nods]

[Cut to Sayid’s room. Sayid waiting on bed. Male nurse enters room]

MALE NURSE: How you doing today sir? [closes door behind him]. Got your meds for ya.

SAYID: Sorry I think you have the wrong room.

MALE NURSE: Nope, room 133 right? Got the orders right here. Don’t worry. I'm won't have to give you an injection. Put this right in your I.V. line.

[With his back turned to Sayid, the nurse fumbles with some medical equipment and swiftly turns pointing a g*n at Sayid' s bed sh**ting 2 darts immediately which pierce the linen of the now empty space. Sayid appears to his right and jumps the nurse wrapping wire round his neck. The nurse drops the g*n in a struggle where they fall on a bed then roll onto the floor and as Sayid's grip tightens. the nurse ceases to struggle so much.]

SAYID: Who are you? Who are you working for? [Increases pressure on neck] Ok, talk, talk.

MALE NURSE: [gargled] Address is in the pocket.

[Sayid throws nurse to the side, gets up, grabs g*n, spins and sh**t nurse with 2 darts, rendering him unconscious within seconds. Sayid proceeds to search his pockets - keys in left, wallet in right. Upon opening wallet the address ’42 Panorama Crest’ is revealed, scribbled on a small pad. Ben & Jack slam open the door.]

BEN: Hello Sayid.

JACK: [observing scene] What happened?

SAYID: [handing the note over to jack] Do we know anyone who lives at 42 Panorama Crest?

JACK: That’s Kate’s address. [Lost swell]

[Cut to lift opening. Jacks phoning Kate, who is in her car, she pauses at seeing ‘Jack Shepard’ on her screen, then opens phone.]

KATE: Hello?

JACK: Kate? This is Jack, are you ok?

KATE: Yeah I’m fine.

JACK: [on phone] Where are you right now? Are you at home?

KATE: [perplexed] What?

JACK: Listen, I'll explain everything once you’ve got out but you’ve got to get Aaron…

KATE: Look, I'm not at home ok. I'm.. Aaron is at a hotel with Sun.

JACK: Sun? Sun’s in L.A.?

KATE: Yeah she’s here on business. [spots car leaving side road car park] Listen Jack this is really not a good time. [on phone] I’m so sorry I picked up the phone. I..

JACK: Kate, do not hang up on me, please? Listen, listen, uh, will you tell me where you are. I need to see you. [pause] Kate, please.

KATE: I’m downtown [on phone] [mumbles] Wishire and Olive.

JACK: OK, alright, I'm on my way.

[Cut to widescreen showing Sayid & Ben waiting patiently to Jacks right]

JACK: She’s not at home but I'm gonna go to her right now. [Walks towards bronco jeep]

BEN: Good. I'll go deal with Hugo.

SAYID: Sorry Ben, I’m not letting you get anywhere near him.

BEN: You have friends in trouble. Let's get them to safety and save the dirty linen until later.

SAYID: [grabs car keys from Ben] I’ll drive.

BEN: [to Jack] After you get Kate, meet us at the Long Beach Marina, slip 23, and Jack, hurry. We're running outta time. [LOST horn s*ab]

[Cut to jungle at night, Locke, Sawyer, Miles, Juliette, Daniel walking in single file]

SAWYER: Hey Locke, what are you gonna say to her?

LOCKE: Sorry?

SAWYER: Kate, what are you gonna say to her to get her to come back.

LOCKE: [thunder] I haven’t figured that out yet.

SAWYER: Well let me tell you something, she was pretty excited to hop on that chopper and get the hell out of here.

[Locke and Sawyer are distracted by something, cut to over shoulder view of the hatch light from end of season 2 shining brightly up into the sky behind 100 meters or so of jungle foliage.]

MILES: What the hell is that?

LOCKE: [look of recognition] What ever it is we better stay clear of it. [Changes direction]

SAWYER: Beach is this way. Now you wanna take the scenic route?

DANIEL: John, you know ‘when’ we are?

LOCKE: We need to keep moving

[Cut to group walking new route through jungle foliage.]

DANIEL: [to Charlotte] Hey, how’s your headache?

CHARLOTTE: Better, nothing like sore feet to take your mind of your head eh.

DANIEL: Hah, well don’t worry, once we get to the beach were gonna take the zodiac round to the other side of the island and you can rest.

CHARLOTTE: You're sweet but you don’t need to baby me. I'm fine.

[Miles follows behind, he takes a swipe at his nose, revealing blood on his finger]

JULIET: You ok?

MILES: I’m peachy.

[Female scream in distance.]

MILES: Now what?

SAWYER: [closest to screams] Nobody move. [unstraps r*fle from shoulder].

LOCKE: James?

SAWYER: I got it.

[Sawyer approaches sounds, faint female voice is stressed, Sawyer perches by leafy foliage and peers around, he sees Kate intently talking to a perched Claire.]

CLAIRE: It knows I don't want it…that I was going to give it away. Babies know that stuff.

KATE: Listen, listen, you want this baby? You want it to be safe and healthy? You're not alone in this. We are all here you. This baby is for all of us, but I need you to push, OK? OK? 1, 2, 3, push! Push! Come on Claire push! [Sawyer looks on, Claire screams] Push! Push! Push!

[A baby cries, Sawyer's emotional. Music swells covering Kate’s speech, high pitch violin like swell and increasingly bright light saturates the scene. It’s daytime, Kate & Claire have disappeared. Locke’s approaches Sawyer]

LOCKE: James, what happened? Did you see something out here James?

SAWYER: Don’t matter. It's gone now.

[Cut to Kate waiting in her car. She sees Jack getting out of his jeep, waving and crossing the road. He comes to her driver window and exchanges smiles.]

KATE: You’ve shaved your beard?

JACK: Yep, huh, I just needed a change.

KATE: Look, Jack, I uh, I don’t know why you called but I can't be dealing with this right now.

JACK: What’s going on?

KATE: Nothing, just… Can you just go.

JACK: Why don’t you just tell me.

KATE: Jack! Please just go.

JACK: Please, tell me.

KATE: [pause] Somebody wants Aaron.

JACK: What?

KATE: There’s a lawyer in there. [darts look] His clients, they know we're lying. They know I'm not his mom and there gonna take him away.

JACK: Who’s gonna take him away?

[Kate spots Norton, the lawyer, leaving in his car, Kate goes to start her car]

JACK: What are you doing?

KATE: I gotta go, either get in or don’t.

[Kate starts carand Jack gets in the passenger seat. Cut to panoramic view of Sawyer's group continuing their walk through jungle. Locke is closing in on Sawyer.]

LOCKE: Hey, you ready to tell me who you saw back there?

SAWYER: Already told ya. It’s nothing.

LOCKE: You and I both know ‘when’ we were before the flash James, so who was it you saw? Charlie? Shannon? Yourself?

SAWYER: And how is it that you knew when we were Johnny boy? That light in the sky was from the hatch wasn’t it?

LOCKE: The night that Boone d*ed, I went up there and started pounding on it as hard as I could. I was [pause] confused, scared, babbling like an idiot, asking why was all this happening to me?

SAWYER: Did you get an answer?

LOCKE: [shakes head] Light came on, sh*t up into the sky, at the time I thought it meant something.

SAWYER: Did it?

LOCKE: No, it was just a light.

SAWYER: [sigh] Why did you turn us around then? Wouldn’t you want to go back there?

LOCKE: Why would I want to do that?

SAWYER: So you could tell yourself to do things different. Save yourself a world of pain.

LOCKE: No, I needed that pain, to get to where I am now.

[Daniel and Miles are at the back of the shuffling file of people. Miles is dabbing at his nose]

MILES: Hey, I just got a nose bleed.

DANIEL: What? When?

MILES: Let's just not freak out the others, ok? Just tell me. Why her? Why me?

DANIEL: I don’t know. Huh, I think it might have something to do with duration of exposure you know, the amount of time you’ve spent on the island?

MILES: Doesn’t make any sense, those yahoos have been here for months. I've never been here before 2 weeks ago.

DANIEL: Are you sure about that?

SAWYER: [from distance] Hello! [cut to group walking into their beach camp]

JULIET: Camp's back.

SAWYER: Finally, anybody for a Dharma beer? Hello? Anybody here? Rose? Bernard?

[As sawyer walks further into camp it is revealed to be desolate and untidy. Sawyer approaches the makeshift dining area where empty, dirty beer cans are strewn across its surface.]

LOCKE: I wonder how long ago this happened?

SAWYER: [frustrated at no beer] Son of a bitch!

[Locke bends to pick up a small noosed frayed old rope]

JULIET: What is it?

LOCKE: It's Vincent's.

SAWYER: [to Locke] Yeah? Well, where is the rest of the dog? Where's the rest of our people?

[Everyone in the party looks about the beach area. Daniel looks at the shoreline.]

DANIEL: The Zodiac's gone too.

CHARLOTTE: Maybe your people took the boat.

[Sawyer passes everyone and goes to where they left the Zodiac raft.]

SAWYER: Why the hell they would they do that?

MILES: To get away from whoever came in those.

[Miles is pointing to two outriggers laying upright on the beach. The group walks over toward them.]

CHARLOTTE: Where did these come from?

DANIEL: That's a good question. They're pretty old.

[Miles picks up a bottle with liquid in it from one of the outriggers.]

MILES: Not that old.

SAWYER: Let me see that.

[The bottle has a label on it that read Ajira. Under the name is written 'water'.]

SAWYER: Adg..uh…ruh.

JULIET: Ajira. It's an airline. It's based out of India but they fly everywhere.

SAWYER: Great. Maybe they got a flight out of here to Vegas tonight.

[Sawyer tosses the bottle back in the outrigger and looks at Juliet.]

SAWYER: Who came in these? Other Others?

JULIET: Don't look at me.

DANIEL: My question is, when are they coming back?

LOCKE: Let's not wait to find out.

[Locke points to the outriggers with his open arms. He looks at the rest of the group, nods and they proceed to take one of the outriggers. They drag the outrigger to the water. Next we see them in the ocean and they are all paddling.]

MILES: This plan sounded a hell of a lot better when we were going by motorboat. How far is this place?

LOCKE: Around that point. Not more than a couple of hours.

MILES: Oh joy.

[Sawyer is seated last in the outrigger. Juliet is sitting in front of him. She turns and looks at Sawyer.]

JULIET: Are you alright?

SAWYER: I saw Kate.

JULIET: What?

SAWYER: Last night, in the jungle [pause] before the last flash. She was delivering Claire's baby.

JULIET: But that was two months ago.

SAWYER: [shakes head] Time travel's a bitch.

[A g*nsh*t is heard from behind the outrigger. Everyone ducks.]

CHARLOTTE: Get down!

[Another g*nsh*t is heard.]

SAWYER: Paddle!

[Everyone begins paddling frantically.]

MILES: I think they want their boat back!

LOCKE: Move!

[Another g*nsh*t is heard. Sawyer looks back and sees an outrigger chasing them. We cannot tell who is in the second outrigger. Another g*nsh*t is heard.]

MILES: These your people?

JULIET: No! Are they yours?

SAWYER: Shut up and keep paddling!

[Another g*nsh*t is heard hitting the water. Everyone paddles harder. Another g*nsh*t takes off the tip of Sawyer's paddle which is on the left side of the outrigger.]

SAWYER: A little help! A little help!

[Yet another g*nsh*t. Juliet takes the r*fle which was lying on the floor of the outrigger, cocks it and aims at the outrigger that is chasing them. She takes three sh*ts. The second outrigger returns a sh*t. It sounds as if it ricochets.]

SAWYER: Paddle harder they're getting closer!

[The buzzing sound that occurs prior to a flash is beginning. Locke pauses a second, looks around and listens. The white light is beginning and Juliet is blinded by it. She stops sh**ting the r*fle. Miles bends over in pain. Daniel covers his ears. The flash starts.]

SAWYER: Thank you Lord!

[The time skip happens and when it is complete the group is still in the ocean, however it is night time. It is raining and we hear thunder and see flashes of lightning. The ocean is rough.] Sawyer looks up to the sky.]

SAWYER: I take that back.

LOCKE: Everybody paddle! Head for the shore!

[Everyone continues to paddle. It is difficult to see where they are going. Switch to the outside of a motel/hotel. There are storm clouds moving across the sky. It has rained. Everything is wet and the sun is shining. Kate and Jack pull into the parking lot in Kate's silver car. She parks.]

JACK: Kate, just because the guy told you that he was meeting his client doesn't mean they are here in L.A. He could've just told you that to, to throw you off.

KATE: Or they're in that hotel right now.

[Dan Norton is climbing stairs to an upper level of the motel/hotel. Jack and Kate watch him.]

JACK: Okay and what if they are? What if the person who wants to take Aaron is sitting in that hotel room right now? Then what?

[Kate bows her head.]

JACK: Come on. Come with me We'll, we'll go get Aaron. We'll put our heads together and we'll figure something out.

KATE: Alright.

[Kate and Jack look up to see Dan Norton knock on a door and a blonde haired woman answers the door. He hands her a folder.]

KATE: Oh my God!

[Jack lets out a deep breath.]

JACK: It's Claire's mother.

[Carole Littleton looks at the folder then turns to enter the room and closes the door. Kate has a look of fear on her face. It is now raining hard. Dan Norton is running to his car holding his attaché over his head. Jack covers the side of his face so Dan Norton cannot see him as the car pulls out of the parking lot. Jack and Kate pause a moment, then Kate releases the emergency brake. Jack puts his hand on top of hers.]

JACK: Wait.

KATE: [angry] What am I waiting for Jack?

JACK: Wait, I, just, let's just think about this for a minute.

KATE: She knows.

JACK: Maybe she doesn't know …

KATE: [on the verge of tears] She knows about Aaron and that's all that matters.

JACK: [sigh] Let me go talk to her.

KATE: What?

JACK: If I can just explain to her why we did it. Maybe if I can get her to understand why [pause] she'll listen to me. I can fix this, Kate. I can fix it.

[Kate looks at Jack with her eyes filled with tears.]

JACK: Hey. Aaron is my family too.

[Kate is crying. She looks at Jack, pauses then nods yes. Jack takes off his seatbelt and exits the car. It is still raining. He runs to the hotel room. Carole Littleton is looking at a framed picture of Claire. There is a knock on her hotel door. She answers the door and finds Jack.]

CAROLE LITTLETON: Dr. Shephard?

JACK: Um, hello Ms. Littleton. Um, may I come in?

CAROLE LITTLETON: Of course.

[Jack enters the room and Carole closes the door.]

CAROLE LITTLETON: You look drenched.

JACK: No, no, no. I'm fine.

CAROLE LITTLETON: Good. I haven't seen you since your father's funeral. How did you even know I was here?

JACK: Um, I knew you were here Ms. Littleton because I followed your lawyer.

CAROLE LITTLETON: Why would you do that?

JACK: I, I did it because um. [pauses] I understand that you feel the need to do this. But I need you to know that everything that Kate and I have done. It was for Aaron.

CAROLE LITTLETON: Who's [pause] Aaron? I, I'm afraid I am not following you.

JACK: Ms. Littleton, um. [pause] What are you doing here in Los Angeles?

[There is a rumble of thunder. Carole looks at Jack confused. Switch to outside the motel/hotel. Jack is running in the rain back to Kate's car and gets in.]

JACK: Let's go! Drive! Then call Sun and tell her to bring Aaron to the Long Beach marina. We'll meet her there.

[Jack puts on his seatbelt. Kate is confused.]

KATE: Wh, what are you talking about?

JACK: Kate we have to go now.

KATE: I'm not going anywhere until you tell me what just happened.

JACK: She doesn't know anything.

KATE: What?

JACK: She doesn't know. She still thinks that Claire is dead. [deep breath] She doesn't even know that Aaron exists.

KATE: But the lawyer?

JACK: She sued Oceanic and she is in town to pick up her settlement.

KATE: What? And it is just a coincidence that her lawyer happens to be the same lawyer that's trying to take my son?

JACK: I don't know. But whoever is trying to take Aaron, it's not her.

KATE: Then who is it?

[Switch to a street where a blue van is driving. The side reads Canton-Rainier Dry Cleaning. Ben is in the passenger seat and Sayid is driving. It is raining.]

BEN: Can I ask you something.

[Sayid looks at Ben then turns and continues driving.]

BEN: Why'd you take it upon yourself to rescue Hugo?

SAYID: I had to make sure Hurley was safe.

BEN: [points] You can pull in over here.

[Sayid enters a parking garage. We hear tires screech a bit. Sayid stops the van, puts it in parking gear and turns off the engine. A man sitting in a car next to the van exits and walks over to Ben's side of the van. Ben has the window open. As they talk, Ben puts on his glasses.]

DAN NORTON: Mr. Linus.

BEN: Mr. Norton.

[Dan Norton hands Ben a folder. Ben opens it and reads.]

DAN NORTON: I looked into it and they don't have kind of solid case against Reyes. The M.E. said that the man found outside Santa Rosa was k*lled before Reyes escaped.

BEN: That's very good news.

DAN NORTON: We have a prelim hearing in the morning. The judge will never let it get past that and Reyes will be a free man.

BEN: Thank you Dan.

DAN NORTON: Any time.

[Dan Norton looks at Sayid and Sayid returns the look. Dan pats the van then walks back to his car.]

SAYID: Who was that?

BEN: That's my lawyer.

[Switch back to the island. It is night time. Locke, Sawyer, Juliet, Miles, Daniel and Charlotte are pulling the outrigger ashore. They are all grunting and panting.]

LOCKE: Ah, okay!

MILES: [put of breath] Remind me never to do that again.

DANIEL: Where are we?

LOCKE: It's hard to say until it gets light.

[There is thunder and flashes of lightning. Everyone is tired and begin walking away from the outrigger. Juliet is sitting next to Sawyer.]

JULIET: We didn't get a chance to finish our conversation.

SAWYER: What conversation was that?

JULIET: The one before they started sh**ting at us. Where you were about to tell me how it felt to see Kate again.

SAWYER: I wasn't about to tell you anything.

JULIET: Why don't you tell me now?

SAWYER: [long pause] I was close enough to touch her. [long pause] If I wanted to, I could've [pause] stood right up and talked to her.

JULIET: Why didn't you?

SAWYER: [pause] What's done is done. [pause then touches his nose] Juliet.

JULIET: What's wrong?

[Juliet touches her nose and it is bleeding.]

CHARLOTTE: Oy! Come and look at this.

[The group gathers around Charlotte. There are various items on the beach.]

CHARLOTTE: It's wreckage. Looks like it just happened.

[Thunder is rumbling. Locke looks around and turns over a metal can with his foot Bésixdouze painted on it.]

LOCKE: Anyone speak French?

[Switch to the ocean. There is a hexagonal raft in the water. It is still stormy. The group speaks French.]

ROBERT: Mais je te l'ai dit! On n'aurait dû jamais suivre tes maudits chiffres!

MONTAND: Mais c'est pas de ma faute, Robert! C'est Brennan qui a pris mon sonar!

BRENNAN: C'est ce que je faisais, Montand! Je vous l'ai déjà dit, les instruments ont mal fonctionné!

FRENCH WOMAN: Un homme à la mer!

ROBERT: Quoi?! Mais je pensais qu'on était tous là!

MONTAND: On EST tous là. Ce n'est pas un des nôtres.

BRENNAN: Alors, qui est-ce?

MONTAND: Pagaie!

ROBERT: Pagayez! Allez! Gardez la lampe de poche sur lui!

FRENCH WOMAN: Faut tenir la lampe. Brennan, aide-les à pagayer!

MONTAND: Allez, dépêchez-vous! Nous dérivons avec le courant.

ROBERT: Non, y'a que lui. Pas de bateau. Rien.

BRENNAN: (inaudible)

FRENCH WOMAN: For God's sake, Brennan, shut up!

MONTAND: Allez, remontez-le dans le bateau!

BRENNAN: Aide-moi. Il est lourd..

MONTAND: Putain, il respire encore.

[Switch to the marina dock. Kate and Jack drive into the parking lot and park the car and turns off the engine]

KATE: Jack, why did you call me today?

JACK: I told you. I was, I was worried.

KATE: But why? Why were you worried? Why today?

[Jack takes a piece of paper out of his jacket pocket, unfolds it and hands it to Kate. Kate reads 42 Panorama Crest.]

KATE: I don't…

JACK: Right before I called you, Sayid was att*cked. And the guy that did it, your address was in his pocket.

KATE: Sayid? What's he doing here?

JACK: That's not important right now. What matters is that we get you and Aaron someplace safe.

KATE: Safe from who?

[The van approaches and parks. Jack and Kate get out of the car. Ben exits the van. Kate looks at him in astonishment.]

BEN: Hello Kate.

[A car door shuts. Sayid walks around the van and is standing next to Ben. Kate says nothing.]

JACK: [points to Ben] It's okay. He's with me.

KATE: He's with you?

JACK: I know this is gonna be hard to understand. But he's here to help us. To help everyone we left behind. We all need to be together again.

KATE: [angry] It's him.

JACK: What?

KATE: It's him. He's the one who's trying to take Aaron.

JACK: No, no you don't understand.

BEN: [interrupting] No Jack. She's right. It was me.

[Jack looks at Ben astonished.]

BEN: Sorry.

KATE: [to Ben] Who the hell do you think you are? Why don't you just stay away?! Why don't you leave me and my son alone?!

BEN: Because he's not your son Kate.

[As the conversation continues we see Sun sitting in a car watching what is transpiring. She is not within hearing distance. She turns to see Aaron sleeping in the backseat. Sun looks down at her purse on the passenger seat then takes the g*n out. She cocks the g*n so it is ready to fire and exits the car. Switch to the island. It is daytime. Jin is lying on the beach unconscious. He is very sunburned. As he awakes he sees four men and 1 woman around an orange raft. One man notices that Jin is awake and takes a r*fle from the raft.]

MONTAND: Robert! Viens, le signal vient de l'île.

ROBERT: Tu peux déterminer la source?

MONTAND: Bien sûr que oui. Regarde.

ROBERT: Tu crois qu'elle est habitée?

FRENCH WOMAN: [to Jin] Ça va? Comment tu te sens?

MONTAND: Je sais pas.

JIN: No understand.

FRENCH WOMAN: You speak English?

JIN: Little.

FRENCH WOMAN: Are you okay?

[Frenchman walks over to Jin and the woman. He is carrying a transceiver.]

JIN: Yes.

FRENCH WOMAN: How did you get here?

JIN: Boat.

ROBERT: Qui est-ce?

MONTAND: On s'en fout, qui c'est. Qu'est-ce qu'il fait ici?

FRENCH WOMAN: Il dit qu'il est venu en bateau.

ROBERT: What boat?

JIN: It's gone. [pause] Sink.

FRENCH WOMAN: He must've been caught in the same storm as ours.

MONTAND: Who are you? How long you in the water?

JIN: I don't know.

MONTAND: How do you not know how you wound up in the middle of the ocean, hein?

FRENCH WOMAN: Montand, laisse-le, il est en état de choc. On a de l'eau à lui donner?

ROBERT: Ouais.

[She takes off her jacket and we see that she is pregnant. Robert returns with a canteen and hands it to her.

ROBERT: Tiens.

FRENCH WOMAN: Merci, Robert.

[She returns to Jin and hands him the canteen to drink from. He quickly accepts and drinks. He hands it back to her.]

JIN: [lets out deep breath] Thank you.

FRENCH WOMAN: What is your name?

JIN: Kwon Jin Soo. [pause] Jin.

FRENCH WOMAN: Hello Jin. I'm Danielle. Danielle Rousseau.

[Jin looks at her in disbelief. She is a young woman.]

END