01x08 - See You When You Get Back

Episode transcripts for the TV show, "Fruits Basket". Aired: 5 July 2001 – 27 December 2001.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

Tohru Honda is 16 year old orphaned girl who gets invited to live in the house of her classmate, the handsome boy Sohma Yuki, and his cousins, 16 year old Kyo and 27 year old Shigure.

01x08 - See You When You Get Back

Post by bunniefuu »

I was so very happy when you smiled at me, A smile that melted everything away.

Spring is still far away, and within the cold ground, I awaited the time when sprouts would put forth their buds.

Even supposing today there may have been some pain, And though the scars of yesterday remain, You can go on living as much as your heart wants to believe.

You cannot be born again, although You can go on changing yourself, and so Let's stay together, always.

Since long ago, whether by Akito or my father's orders, I have come to suppress anyone's memories.

Even knowing that it would hurt Yuki, I erased his friends' memories too.

And so You're as cold as snow! The words Akito let slip out at the time may be true.

Hey! She's left us again! She's nowhere around! If you mean Tohru-kun, she said last night during supper she was going over to a friend's house, you know?

She did?

Can't you listen decently when other people talk?

Shut up! It's her fault for hardly ever going out and stuff.

Well, that just goes to show how accustomed this house has become to her, I'd say.

"Wither hast the flower of the house now gone?

" and all.

What are you talking about?

"Sohma" I- it's so big The Sohmas are indeed a large family.

My coming here is a secret from Sohma-kun and the others, but when I think that it's possible that I might be meeting Akito-san, the head of the family Tohru! M- Momiji-san! You're right on time! It's open, so don't hesitate to come on in.

Excuse the intrusion Come on in! Welcome to the House of Sohma! Wow, it's big on the inside, too.

Inside these gates, it's almost like this is its own town.

It's like I've come to some unknown world.

But it's very still.

Almost as if no one lived here.

The air about this place only serves to increase my nervousness! This way, this way! Ha'ri's house is a way's off.

Are you scared of Ha'ri?

No, of course not I like him a lot! Tohru, I'm sure you'll come to like him too! Don't be so formal, make yourself comfortable, if you would.

R- right.

So he tells me, but this atmosphere does indeed make me tense.

A photograph?

It's a little unexpected that he would have a woman's photograph on display.

He seems to be such a stern gentleman, and all When he said something important to talk about, could he mean to scold me for something negligent I have done!?

After all, a gentleman from a grand family such as this would not find me, who used to live in a tent, good enough to associate with And before realizing it, perhaps I have compounded my impertinence beyond the point of no return! Tohru?

By any chance are you not feeling well?

You want Ha'ri to look at you?

He's a doctor, after all.

I'm all right! No problem! You may call me a doctor, but I am the Sohma family physician, and only see those from among our kin.

And well, half of that is looking after Akito.

He has a special knack for suddenly falling ill, you see.

Is that so?

I do not like to b*at around the bush.

Let me get right to my point.

Okay There are only a few people, even among our own family, that know our secret concerning the zodiac.

It is exceptional that a complete outsider such as yourself should learn of it.

Ordinarily, immediate steps would be taken to conceal this from you.

However, Akito has not instructed me to, and has even allowed you to live together there.

Do you enjoy living in Shigure's house?

Y- yes, very much.

I would recommend that you leave.

Do not have anything further to do with the Sohmas.

Leave Shigure's house, and return to your own relatives.

That is how it would normally be, is it not?

Shigure is the way he is, so he probably wouldn't say anything, but the House of Sohma, as it is continually possessed by spirits, is not as pleasant as you think it to be.

It is mysterious, and shady, and cursed.

Cursed?

Before you come to regret having been involved with the Sohmas, leave them.

Say, Ha'ri, I want to show Tohru around the gardens.

That's okay, right?

Let's go, Tohru! But, um I'll show you to my favorite spot! This way, this way! The House of Sohma is not as pleasant as you think it to be.

It is mysterious, and shady, and cursed.

It's quiet, isn't it?

Y- yes.

Today, the Sohma folks are within the inner gates to prepare for New Year's.

New Year's is the one big event where everyone gathers together, so they're really busy.

Know what?

From the tree-lined road outside the gate to the main house over there, everyone who lives in this whole area are a~Il Sohma folk! That's incredible! Long ago, Shi-chan and Yuki also lived here! The only people who can live here are people like me who are of the zodiac, or those who know the secret.

It is exceptional that a complete outsider such as yourself should learn of this secret.

Ha'ri, you know, can hardly see out of his left eye.

Ha'ri had a girlfriend.

Her name was Kana.

She was Ha'ri's assistant.

She was a very nice person.

Even when she learned that Ha'ri was possessed by a spirit, she said she didn't care, and laughed.

They were even engaged to get married.

But Akito got angry.

He got really mad, and said he was opposed to the marriage, and wouldn't allow it, and became unruly, and injured Ha'ri's eye.

But Ha'ri didn't blame Akito.

It was Kana that blamed herself.

She said it was her fault for what happened to Ha'ri's eye.

She went on blaming herself, until finally she became heartsick.

And so and so Ha'ri erased Kana's memories.

He couldn't bear to watch Kana falling apart, so he erased the time when the two loved each other.

Kana then left.

Ha'ri cried.

However, he didn't blame Akito.

Why?

Because that is the curse.

That's why I can understand a little bit of what Ha'ri feels.

Ha'ri doesn't want to have anyone else end up like Kana did.

He doesn't want you, Tohru, to be hurt the same way Kana was.

Huh?

Tohru?

Are you crying?

Did I did I make you cry?

I'm sorry I'm sorry, okay?

That's not it It's because Hatori-san is such a considerate gentleman He was just kindly worrying after me.

Here, when Hatori-san is probably the one that needs to be shown kindness.

I'll go get something warm for us, okay?

Wait here.

You can go on inside.

Snow I knew it would snow! Forgive me.

I don't know anything about the Sohmas There's no reason you should have known.

You're better off forgetting about it.

Have you forgotten about her as well, Hatori-san?

It's all in the past.

I'm sorry There's nothing for you to apologize for.

When I have the opportunity, I even meet and talk with Kana.

But that's all.

I wonder if I could have you excuse me now.

I've already said too much for today.

T- that's not at all so! Besides I, um still haven't had anything in that house that Hatori-san?

Water! No! S- seawater!?

Water!?

Which one!?

Hatori-san! Pardon me.

Pleased to meet you.

I'm Sohma Kana.

Starting today, I shall work hard as your assistant, so please accept my regards.

Something about all this seems strange, huh?

Here we are kin and all, but we've never spoken.

Still, Hatori-san, my friends said you were handsome, and you're quite popular with them.

This will be your desk.

This is today's work.

Get started on it right away-- Ah! It's snowing! I knew it would snow! Oh, yeah.

May I ask you a question?

When snow melts, what does it become?

It becomes water, of course.

Bzzt-bzzt! It becomes spring! I like spring the best.

People can romanticize others to any lengths with their emotions They can but still, she was as spring to me.

If I had at some point become the freezing snow among the dark, closed-up world of the Sohmas, then she was the fresh, vivid spring.

It was nearly inevitable that we loved each other It was the beginning of a dream.

And then she found out.

W- water! No! Seawater!?

Which is it!?

Which one!?

Hatori! Let me just say that if you threw a real sea horse into the tub, it would probably die.

I was afraid of that.

I was so shaken up, I couldn't think! However, now I finally know the reason-- I wondered why it was you would never hold me.

Of course, you were afraid, huh?

You didn't want to be found out.

You keep your distance from strangers, and even more so from the one you love.

But don't be afraid.

Don't reject me.

I'm glad to have met you, Hatori.

I'm happy to have fallen in love with you, Hatori.

I want to be at your side.

Tears came forth.

For the first time in my life, I felt as if I had been allowed something-- as if I had been saved from something.

I could not stop the tears- they were like frozen snow being melted by the breath of spring.

I was in a dream I laughed, feeling as if dozens of years of happiness had been compressed down to one moment.

We wish to be married.

It was the end of the dream.

No! I will not allow you to marry! I will not allow it! Hatori, what's wrong?

Hatori This is your fault! If Hatori loses sight in his eyes, it's your fault! It's your fault! Akito! Hatori! Can you lift the Sohma curse?

Can you!?

Kana-chan, hurry and see to Hatori! Let me go! Let me go! You can't even lift the curse! We don't need the likes of you! We do not need the likes of you! It's your fault! It's your fault! It's your fault!! No matter what I said, no matter what I did, she just broke down crying.

And then, she fell ill It's especially at times like this that your concealing technique comes in useful, isn't it?

Her memory ought to be erased.

Up to now, you would do it in a flash, wouldn't you?

Right now, it's her memories with you, her feelings for you, that are making her suffer.

You're the only one who can save her from that suffering.

It is your final duty, Hatori.

We In truth, she too wants to be released would have been better off never meeting.

she wants to forget.

better off never meeting.

Even if it would harm someone, or make someone cry, I had no choice but to erase the memories of anyone, if I was ordered to.

How could I have known that by my hand, the person most dear to me would come to have the memories most dear to her erased?

This is my reward.

Thank you, Kana.

Everything is all right now.

There's nothing to be troubled over any more.

I hope that some day, you meet someone who will make you happy.

All I can do is pray you will.

Hatori Forgive me I wasn't able to protect you Forgive me I'm the one who should apologize.

I'm the one who was unable to protect you.

I'm glad to have met you, Hatori.

I'm happy to have fallen in love with you, Hatori.

I will go on living the rest of my life in unmelting snow, so that the dream we had together will never melt away.

Sorry to be so much trouble.

What I was able to learn from you, Hatori-san, will be my pride as a doctor.

Though I'm still in the making Hatori-san Please help Hatori-san.

I'm glad to have met everyone.

I do not regret it.

I couldn't possibly think of not being involved with them Kana--san must have been like that, huh?

So, if you would, please help Hatori-san I- I didn't look! Um I wasn't sure what I should do, but first I moved you up into the room and laid you down there, and I knew it was ill-mannered of me, but I had you permit me to cover you with my dirty coat.

And then I then I Did you see it?

No! You see, I My zodiac form Yes.

It was most adorable, and my amazement was beyond belief.

At any rate, I am relieved that you are all right.

Here Excuse me, I helped myself.

And here, for some time, I haven't had any dreams Is it because of this snow?

Oh, yeah.

May I ask you a question?

When snow melts, what do you think it becomes?

Let's see It becomes spring, right?

Right now, no matter how cold it is, spring will come again.

Curious, isn't it?

The snow is certain to melt.

It's certain to I like spring best of all! Aren't you cold?

Take this.

Still, you can't do without the appetites of autumn.

While I'm at it, shall I go buy something warm for you?

Something warm?

Is this déjà vu?

Ah! There they are, there they are! Shigure-san! I've been looking for you! I found a little lost bunny.

Momiji-san! It's not déjà vu, you have drinks! Thanks for waiting, Tohru! Ha-san! What have you come for?

Here you go, Tohru! Thank you very much! I thought that maybe you were scaring Tohru.

It's my artist's intuition you know.

You're a liar.

You just came to see the New Year's preparations, right?

Despite how it looks, those two have been friends since childhood.

Oh, right, right.

Tohru-kun, did you ask Ha-san what year he was?

Shigure, I'll spread stories of the embarrassing things you did from the time you were four throughout the publishing world.

Understood.

I won't say anything else.

She'll find out soon enough anyways.

Momiji! I don't think it's something to get all that embarrassed over.

It's so warm! Today must have been troublesome, huh?

Still, Hatori isn't a bad guy, after all.

That's right! He was a very kind gentleman! Could that just now have been?

Tohru-kun, if we get separated, you'll get lost too! Shigure-san, the curse What is the curse?

Is there anything I shouldn't be doing?

It's all right.

If you'll just be yourself, that's enough! It's been a strange day, where it seems like I learned a lot, but then seems as though I haven't really learned a thing.

I'm home! I'm home now! I'm sorry for being so late That'll do it, all right.

The Kotatsu table is effective for putting even an ogre to sleep, isn't it?

It sure is.

It'd be dangerous to wake them now.

How about we leave them alone a bit longer?

In any case Yes, in any case The feelings you wish to hold dear will not change.

All the days I live in this house are dear to me dear to me Now let us circle together, around a pleasant dinner.

Come, take today's tears, and make them tomorrow's strength.

La, la, la Wonderful love and life La, la, la Adorable love and life La, la, la Wonderful love and life On the next Fruits Basket Episode 9 On the next Fruits Basket Honda-san, what are you going to make?

New Year's cakes! New Year's cakes?

I just hope they agree with everyone's tastes.

We'll be going back to the main Souma house, from today Is that right?

Okay, it's about time we left.

Both of you, get ready.

I'm not going back.

It'll be fine! Please let me watch over the house! I'll be sure to-- Aah! The bathwater! I left it running! We really have left it to you, Tohru-kun.