01x14 - That's a Secret

Episode transcripts for the TV show, "Fruits Basket". Aired: 5 July 2001 – 27 December 2001.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

Tohru Honda is 16 year old orphaned girl who gets invited to live in the house of her classmate, the handsome boy Sohma Yuki, and his cousins, 16 year old Kyo and 27 year old Shigure.

01x14 - That's a Secret

Post by bunniefuu »

I was so very happy when you smiled at me, A smile that melted everything away.

Spring is still far away, and within the cold ground, I awaited the time when sprouts would put forth their buds.

Even supposing today there may have been some pain, And though the scars of yesterday remain, You can go on living as much as your heart wants to believe.

You cannot be born again, although You can go on changing yourself, and so Let's stay together, always.

Once May comes, what can we harvest?

Let's see the carrots, the turnips, the leeks and the strawberries! Finally, huh?

I'm looking forward to it! Mm-hmm I'm looking forward too.

Are you okay?

Y- yes.

It's April already, but today is chilly for some reason.

Honda-san, you go on back first.

We're done here for now.

But I'm hungry, too Well then, since you're so kind to say so, I'll go home and make something to eat.

Several days have passed since that day when I met Akito-san at school.

However, Yuki-kun is still as cheerful as ever.

It's really great.

Now then, what shall I make for lunch?

Could this mean the zodiac?

Honda-san! Wha?

T- there's something under my clothes! Ah, dammit.

I'm hungry! Tohru-kun should be coming back pretty soon, shouldn't she?

Fine, already! I'll make something by myself! Hold on there, Kyo-kun.

For the time being, "Miso for everyone" help yourself to these, and let's wait patiently for her to come home.

Why, you!! You just tease people to pass the time, don't you!?

Well! You shouldn't go wasting food like that, Kyo-chan! Grrr! There, you see?

Sounds like they've come ba ck Skin this thing and roast it right now! A- Aya?

If it isn't Aya! What are you doing here, all of a sudden?

Skin this thing right now! Just a minute! Calm down, Yuki-kun.

That was Sohma Ayame, who as you can see, is the Snake.

A- Ayame-san?

Let's let him sleep a little while.

Snakes hibernate, right?

Maybe it's because of that, but Aya is pretty sensitive to the cold.

Sometimes, on days when it's cold, he transforms like this.

Aya and I, as well as Hatori, are all the same age, and we all went through primary, middle, and high schools together! To put it a different way, when the three of us got together, we became the florid buddy trio! Is that right?

You don't say! What do you mean, "florid buddy trio?

" I can just imagine the trouble that Hatori had with you.

So, Yuki-kun, what is it you were so mad about earlier?

It's so revolting, I don't even want to talk about it.

My, my, it's not that bad, right?

How can you say that about your own brother?

B- brother?

Allow me to explain it to you myself.

I am the one who, a short while ago, was terribly chilled the one who was only seeking warmth and when I drew close to the heat of a person's warm skin, I clung to it! That is what we call instinct, isn't it?

Hi, everyone! And have you been well, my little brother?

It's an adult version of Yuki-kun! What do you mean, you clung to her!?

Just be glad I don't take you in to the police! What?

What did he do to you?

Ah, just, um Oh?

Kyonkichi-kun really is here, huh?

I told you to stop calling me that, didn't I!?

Well, Kyonkichi-kun aside I said stop!! It hasn't been since New Year's, 'Gure-san! Not since New Year's! You haven't been unfaithful or anything while I've been absent, have you, 'Gure-san?

There's no way I would do such a thing, as long as I have you, is there, Aya?

All right! What is?

Um it appears that this gentleman's personality is different from Yuki-kun's.

By the way, this is Honda Tohru-san.

You came to see her, right?

Oh, indeed I have! Pardon me about what happened earlier.

I am indeed Yuki's older brother, Ayame.

R- right! Pleased to meet you! I see, I see So you are the so-called queen, are you?

A single blooming flower, in a house of messy boys! You are the queen being held c*ptive here, right?

She's not particularly being held here! Brother! Would you stop making fun of her?

Excuse me, but I mean to pay her every respect! So, queen, first thing we'll need is some tea.

And be quick about lunch.

- That's not respect! - That's no respect! Really, really this is taxing Understood.

Tohru-kun, let's go out to eat! Uh but Not to worry! It's my treat! There's no use getting angry at me.

"Chinese Number Three" "Chinese Number Three" Now, you may order anything that you like.

I should say that I'm ordering the potsticker plate.

If it's about Yuki and the others, don't concern yourself.

They aren't children, they can manage something on their own.

B- but still, I am putting them out Are you saying you can't eat if it's my treat?

N- no! Don't be ridiculous! Very well! In that case, shopkeep, two potsticker plates! You got it! I'm being swept away! Still, It's surprising.

Yuki-kun never once mentioned anything about a brother, let alone that you were a member of the zodiac.

It's only natural that Yuki hasn't said so.

As you can see, we don't get along.

No, it's more accurate to say we aren't very close, I suppose.

We're ten whole years apart, and right after Yuki was born, he tended to be sick a lot, and as a result, it was almost as if he was always quarantined.

Quarantined?

Me being who I was, I grew up doing whatever I liked, with only an "I have a brother, eh?

" Degree of awareness of him.

By the time I realized it, a deep, precarious gap between us brothers had been formed.

That's our story.

I heard that Yuki saw Akito at school, didn't he?

You met him too, right?

How do I put this?

Coming from me, I'm not all that familiar, but for Yuki, Akito is an object of fear.

These days, I thought it might have sunk way down I came to see you, but even more so, I came to see how Yuki was doing.

And now that I have, he seems to be pretty much doing all right, huh?

To be honest, I was a bit disappointed.

If there had been an opening, I was going to play the big brother for him.

Do you regret that?

Having created the gap between you?

Oddly enough, the more the years go by, the more I come to understand those things I didn't understand when I was a child.

"When that happened, I should have done this,"or"When that happened, I should have said this" That sort of thing, you know?

I've come to realize some of it.

More so than regret, I think maybe it's closer to say I feel penitent.

Penitent, in that maybe I wish I could make it so the things I was ignorant of as a child had never happened.

Maybe that's why they say that adults are so arbitrary.

Still, my mother my mother always told me that when she first became a parent, it was the first time she understood how a parent feels.

However However, what you really must understand what you must not forget, is yourself when you were a child.

The day when you were first able to turn a flip on the monkey bars, or those days when you first got upset by a lot of things, if you make sure to keep from forgetting the feelings you had when you were a child, then when you become an adult, you will still be able to understand each other.

And even if 100 percent is asking too much, you can always compromise, she'd say.

And besides, thinking in that way is more fun, you know?

No, I mean! You see, what it is I'm trying to say is that in other words Both Yuki-kun and you, Ayame-san have to meet each other halfway from now on! Hey, here you go! I beg your pardon No, not at all Some people sure say terrific things.

Yes! My mother was the best in the universe! No, I was talking about you, but oh well But still I get it, I get it I understand quite well now why Yuki is doing so well.

I get it.

Both of us from now on Maybe we will try harder, huh?

And you too, keep on getting along well with Yuki for me.

At that moment, Ayame-san Honda-san, are you okay?

Yes! Has everyone had something to eat?

Never mind that, did my brother give you any trouble?

Oh, no! He bought me a potsticker plate! Um, Yuki-kun Yuki-kun, do you dislike your brother?

I mean, I just wanted to ask about it P- pardon me Do I dislike him, or is it just hard to get along with him, I wonder?

I never know what it is he's thinking.

If it's just hard for us to get along, we can overcome that! Now more than ever is the time when we should make concessions! My brother! Um, what happened was, as soon as we left the restaurant, it suddenly became chilly, and he transformed, and I heard that if a snake gets too cold, they could die I am a snake, after all! You are no brother of mine, or anything else! You cannot change the truth, Yuki! Ah, both of you, welcome back! But Yuki-kun, at that moment, Ayame-san made a brotherly face, and smiled! 'Gure-san, where would it be okay for me to sleep tonight?

Oh?

Are you planning on staying over?

I'm still sleeping.

I'm gonna k*ll you!! There was nothing I could do about my actions.

Yuki locked the door to his room, so I can't go in there.

In that case, you could have slept in Shigure's room, right?

Like you did yesterday?

As it happens, 'Gure-san doesn't let me sleep.

Hey, hey, would you stop?

Not in front of the children Now, stop that! I'm ignoring them I'm ignoring them I'm ignoring them And how long are you going to be here, anyway?

Not to worry! Tonight, I'll be staying in Tohru-kun's room.

GO HOME!! It's the morning of the third day since Ayame-san came over.

However, the gap between himself and his brother, Yuki-kun, only seems to be growing deeper.

Is that right?

Aya is over?

I haven't seen him since New Year's.

Is that so?

Maybe I'll go see him! Then again, I'd just be coming between brothers, and I better not get in the way.

How's Yuki?

Does he seem happy?

Ah, yeah Yuki! Is Yuki sick?

Um I get it.

So that's it.

Mm-hmm, gotcha.

But still, is it okay for Aya to leave his shop alone like this?

He is the owner, after all.

Ayame-san runs a shop, then?

He sells clothes for nurses, and stewardesses, and maids, and stuff.

He's a dressmaker?

Well, how shall we say?

Aya says it's a store that sells romance for men! Oh?

This is great, you guys! He's still here.

Welcome back! For you to be coming straight home from school is that how much you want to talk with me?

As for me, I'd rather pair up with Tohru-kun again, just the two of us.

That's what we were worried about! What is that you were looking at?

Albums from when we were in our younger, high school years.

See?

'Tori-san is there as well, right?

Both Shigure-san and Hatori-san have such young faces! Ayame-san too! Exactly the way Yuki-kun looks today Squeezable, aren't we?

Yes! Ayame-san, has your hair been long ever since then?

Indeed it has! It was in violation of the school rules, though.

Come on, Yuki! You look at these too! This is a chance for you to learn about your brother! I'm fine, all the same.

In that case, I have no choice.

I'll just have to explain to you how it is that I was allowed to have long hair, won't I?

- Why!?

- Let's see Yes, it was right after I entered school - You just want to talk, don't you?

- I was stopped by the principal.

I gave permission for the color of your hair, but I don't remember giving permission to having it be long.

Have it cut before you come tomorrow.

Principal-sensei I come from a royal family.

I had kept it hidden up to now, but there is a country to which I must return.

- What?

- Lf you must know why our royal family has to have long hair, the grand high king Rurubara-sama, after he had reigned for four years, is said to have received a divine message.

It was Kandra-sama, with lights of golden and red shining on all sides "Ma Rudu Muni," chanted Kandra-sama, and as his forehead began glowing blue, Rurubara-sama was released, like a colt that had been struck with a whip, and together with waves of his burning love, as though they were trees swaying in a light breeze, his graceful hair began to spread forth! It was at this same time that Kasipaloo-sama, secure in his bedroom, sleeping like a flower, waiting to blossom, suddenly let forth a cry, as his chest began to throb! "Kanpanil!" he shouted.

Um, hold on, excuse me, but I have an appointment to meet with someone I still have not explained about Kandra-sama! Fine! Your long hair is fine! And that's how I persuaded him to allow me to have long hair.

Y- you're a member of a royal family!?

That's obviously a lie! You fool! That sure takes me back! Unbelievable Well, let me tell you something even more unbelievable.

Aya was the student council president! That's incredible! Stop goofing around, and let's go.

Well, there was the way he looked, but more importantly, Aya's unheard-of behavior drew everyone along, and under his term, the school rules and functions changed greatly, and even became more enjoyable.

Could it have been because of your abilities?

You know, I always thought that 'Tori-san would have made a better president than me.

Do you remember that incident on the class field trip?

Yeah, I couldn't forget that! What?

What happened?

T- this sounds like Yuki-kun is taking an interest in Ayame-san! This is your chance! Right now is your chance to substantially fill in the gap, Ayame-san! Mm-hmm, you see now, there was a group of students who, during that trip well, let's say they went into the red-light district.

Oh, please don't blame me until I have a chance to explain.

Any healthy boy would find it hard not to go to this place.

And besides, we weren't the ones who went! Though it wasn't all that unusual, you know.

Just now it's as if he openly said something amazing The truth is, we were unfortunate enough to have a teacher find out about it.

"Conference Room" And then! It was announced that they were all to be punished by being expelled from school.

Naturally, as student council president, I objected! And as a result, there was a discussion held between those students, their guardians, the principal, and the teachers.

For those of us who are underage to set foot into red-light districts such an act is definitely not something to be praised.

The laws are there to be obeyed, and when they are not, we lose order.

However, I can't help but feel regret over how we are denying the sexual drive itself, as if it was evil.

The reason being, most people are born bearing the great task to have children, and I believe that the sexual drive is a part of the inclination put in place for the purpose of this great task.

Is that shameful?

A sin?

President Ayame-kun, I've never seen you as serious as you are today! Then all of his regular foolish behavior has been intentional, after all?

Consequently, I now hereby make a proposal! That we extend a hand of rescue to those youths who would embrace the dead-end desires, on the ambiguous rail that we call minority! From now on, you may direct your lust toward me! As the student's representative it is only natural that I should serve to accept the desires of the students! On top of that, since we will all be boys, their parents and guardians will likely be at ease and feel secure! So, proceed to desire me! Indeed, if you must liken us to offense and defense, then I am on defense! You fool!! He really is a fool! Regardless, he's a fool! Not to worry! Despite how it looks, I am quite tough! And that is my wonderful story! It was a stupid story! Excuse me! Because of that, everyone avoided being expelled.

How come?

Afterward, Ha-san followed up with a bunch of other things.

And Aya kept being president up until the very end.

How come!?

What do you think, Yuki?

Has this allowed you to understand your older brother somewhat?

Get out.

The gap! The gap! Not even this will do, huh?

In that case, let me tell you about the incident with the statue of the chairman! You don't have to.

Get out.

It was on a summer day - Get out! - Shigure! Do something with him! - Oh, why?

This is fun! - Yes, yes! This is fun! I'm in pain, I tell you! Even so, he essentially doesn't listen to what I say, either.

The only one he does listen to is Hey.

The door was unlocked, so I let myself in.

Hatori-san?

How about that?

'Tori-san! What's up with you coming unexpectedly?

Hatsuharu said to come take Ayame home.

How about we call it a day, and go home, Ayame?

Well then, bye-bye.

It seems like with all the commotion, we didn't have time to have a long talk, huh?

- You're the one who raised the commotion, weren't you?

- But not to worry, I will come again, my beloved little brother.

Okay then, 'Tori-san, shall we go?

'Gure-san, see you again sometime.

Mm-hmm! I'll go pay you a visit next! Farewell, everyone! - 'Tori-san, did you walk here?

- No, by car.

- I'll drive, by way of apology! - No.

W- what was all that?

Since long ago, Aya has only really listened to what Ha-san tells him to do.

He said he admires him.

Since Ha-san has those things that he wants, but doesn't have, he admires him.

He said he makes much of him.

A long time ago, he told me so with a straight face.

Well, anyway, that's how Ha-san came to be in charge of looking after Aya.

Hey, sorry about this putting you to this trouble.

If that's how you feel, then think a little before you act.

I do think.

But I just can't seem to get Yuki's heart to open up.

Yuki is no fool.

It's just He's still just a child.

He still has many things that he's not willing to give in to yet, that's all.

There's no need to rush.

Tohru-kun seems a little bit like you.

All she does is think about others as much as she can.

I'm really not very good at that.

Why?

Why does she say the words I want to hear?

Ayame-san's stories were very enjoyable! There's no helping that man.

The gap! Um, but still, Ayame-san is However For him to be able to openly show kindness to someone who has something he doesn't have I think that's great.

You can always compromise.

Haru Um so, thanks for worrying about me.

Thinking in that way is more fun, you know?

Come to think of it I forgot to ask which store it was where he sold clothes for nurses and maids! What are you talking about?

Do you mean an Image Club?

Now let us circle together, around a pleasant dinner.

Come, take today's tears, and make them tomorrow's strength.

La, la, la Wonderful love and life La, la, la Adorable love and life La, la, la Wonderful love and life What's up?

Are you going out somewhere with Saki-chan and them?

Yes! It's the anniversary of Mother's passing, so we're going to go pay respects at her grave.

Would it be okay if I came too?

Hey, I'm going too! To visit the gravesite! What are you telling me for?

What are you drawing?

Mother, I am enjoying every day living together with everyone in this house, so you can continue to not worry, and keep watching over me, okay?