03x20 - The Longest Day

Episode transcripts for the TV show, "Dawson's Creek". Aired: January 1998 to May 2003.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

Four friends in a small coastal town help each other cope with adolescence.

03x20 - The Longest Day

Post by bunniefuu »

Episode 320 - The Longest Day

[Scene: A night sh*t over the ocean. The sun is setting. And a voice over by Joey.]

Joey: Ever have one of those days you wish you could live all over again?

[Scene: The docks. Andie, Jack, Jen, Doug and Buzz are sitting by “True Love” waiting for the rest of the group to get there to christen the boat. Dawson and Mitch one riding up in the car to Join them]

Andie: Oh, hey, look. There's Dawson and his dad.

Mitch: Got the champagne?

Dawson: Right here. Oop! Whoa. That was almost a disaster. Hey, guys.

Buzz: Hello.

Dawson: Hey. Buzz.

Andie: So, uh, where's Joey? I thought she was coming with us.

Dawson: She, uh, wanted to stop at a library first and plow through that Watergate history assignment.

[Scene: Inside the boathouse. Joey and Pacey are there kissing and hugging each other quite a bit.]

Joey: Come on. Let's go, Pacey. It's your boat we're planning on christening.

Pacey: I own a boat?

Joey: Mmm. No, we have to stop doing this. It's wrong.

Pacey: Yes. Dead wrong.

Joey: Pacey. Look, we've been in denial all week. I mean, when we're around other people, we pretend like nothing's changed, and then the minute we're alone, it turns into this.

Pacey: This what?

Joey: Well, this... Embarrassing grope fest.

Pacey: Yeah, I guess this is kind of embarrassing, huh? Especially for you, given how much you protested.

Joey: I did not protest.

Pacey: You did too.

Joey: Wait, wait, wait, wait. What?

Pacey: I gotta tell him, Jo. We do. We gotta tell him as soon as possible, because the longer we wait, Jo, the worse it gets.

Joey: No, Pacey. I've tried. I've tried plenty of times to-- every time I see the guy now, I just feel like-- you don't have to bother filling in the expletive, ok? I mean, this isn't exactly the easiest thing I've ever had to do, Pacey-- telling Dawson that while he wasn't looking, I developed this bizarre gravitational pull towards his best friend, and I can't stop thinking about him or wanting to be near him or wanting to kiss him all the time.

Pacey: I'll do it.

Joey: What?

Pacey: I'll tell him.

Joey: No, I can't let you do that. It's--this is my responsibility.

Pacey: Jo, it's not your responsibility. I'm the one that started this, remember? I'm the one that got you into this situation. And, frankly, the only way that I want to save my friendship with Dawson is to be completely honest with him, so I gotta do this. All I need is one day. Just one day.

Joey: One day.

Pacey: Yes. One day.

[Opening Credits]

[Scene: On the Docks. Pacey and Buzz are talking as Doug is slowly walking to Join them.]

Pacey: No, she's not late. She's an hour late. When people are late, they're, like, 15 minutes late.

Doug: All right, here's the deal. There's an apologetic yet somewhat incoherent message on the machine for you from someone named Nora. It seems she got confused, thought you had him for the day. Now she's stuck at work and can't get free until this evening.

Pacey: Speaking of work... You're not on duty today, are you?

Doug: Ah, no, no, no. Little brother, this juvenile is your responsibility.

Pacey: But, Doug, I got this one thing I gotta do, man, and it kind of ranks high up there on the importance list. So...Look, I'll just do this one thing. I'll go, I'll do it, I'll come right back. I swear.

Doug: Have you ever noticed how your one little things tend to multiply?

Pacey: Doug, it's just one thing. I'll be right back. I swear. It shouldn't take—

Doug: Pacey.

Pacey: Dougie.

[Scene: Outside Gram's House. Jen and Grams are carrying some suitcases out to the car and put them into the trunk]

Grams: I know he's a very respectable young man, and we certainly have no reason to suspect him of ill intentions, but... With no one here to chaperone...

Jen: Ah, you never know what sort of high jinks might ensue.

Grams: This is no laughing matter, Jennifer. I established these rules not because I don't trust you, but because the sexual impulses of a teenage boy—

Jen: Ok, grams, I think that you're going out on a limb here for nothing. I assure you that whatever sexual impulses Henry parker may throw at me I am perfectly capable of handling.

[Scene: Outside Dawson's House. Pacey is standing there staring at the front door. Jen sees him and goes over to Join him.]

Jen: Hey, pace.

Pacey: Hey.

Jen: Nobody home?

Pacey: I don't know, actually.

Jen: Could knock and find out.

Pacey: I could just walk right in, you know. They never lock it. I've been coming here since I was 5 years old, just walking right through the front door, making myself at home.

Jen: She wants to be with you, pace. She does.

Pacey: And you know this how?

Jen: Told me so this morning.

Pacey: [sighs] Why am I not happy to hear that right now?

Jen: Well, because right now you've gotta walk through that front door and tell your best friend that the only girl in the universe he can't live without...

Pacey: Is the same one that I can't live without.

Jen: Yeah.

Pacey: I've had this conversation with him in my head a thousand times.

Jen: Yeah? How's it go?

Pacey: Oh, you know, Dawson saying something along the lines of... "Vaya con dios, pace. "I had my sh*t at making her happy. Now...Why don't you give it a try?"

Jen: It could happen. Just minus the Spanish part.

Pacey: Yeah.

[Mitch walks out of the house carrying some stuff for his boat.]

Mitch: Hey, guys. If you're looking for Dawson, you just missed him.

Pacey: Did he say where he was going?

Mitch: Yeah. He said something about the library.

[Scene: Inside the library. Pacey is looking for Dawson, when he runs into Andie.]

Andie: Pacey. Hi.

Pacey: Hey. You're looking happy. Is this just your usual library glow?

Andie: Yeah, well, you know, free books make me giddy.

[Will walks up to Join them.]

Pacey: Krudski.

Will: Studying on a Saturday, Witter. That's most unlike you. So, uh, I'll see you tonight, Andie?

Andie: Yeah.

Will: See you, man.

Pacey: Tonight, huh?

Andie: Yeah. Uh... We were thinking about getting dinner or something—

Pacey: no, hey, look, look. A girl's gotta eat, huh?

Andie: So, uh, what are you doing here? I mean, you're not studying, are you?

Pacey: No. Not studying. Looking for Dawson. You haven't seen him, have you?

Andie: Nope. Haven't seen him.

Pacey: Well, I'll let you get back to, uh... I'll see you later, Andie.

Andie: Yeah.

[Scene: Inside Doug's apartment. Doug is running frantically around trying to get some order, as Buzz is jumping up and down on the bed.]

Doug: No, no, no, buzz! Listen to me. This is not a toy. All right? This is an answering machine. This was my answering machine. Do you understand? Wh-what-- buzz, where's the tape? Stop bouncing! Stop—

[Pacey enters and picks up something from the end table and Joins them.]

Buzz: yeah! And I thought you were boring.

Pacey: See that? Gameboy. It's Pokemon blue, man. Go to it.

Doug: Yeah, that's really great. Where the hell have you been? Look at this. It's ruined.

Pacey: Doug, I'm sorry. Look, me and Joey came to a really important decision.

Doug: Wait, wait, wait, wait. Since when are you and Joey deciding anything?

Pacey: You're gonna like this one, 'cause it turns out you were right. She's into me, man. That's why she got so freaked out when I kissed her.

Doug: Really?

Pacey: Yeah.

Doug: So then you told Dawson?

Pacey: Uh...No, not exactly. That's what I was trying to do all morning, Doug. Remember the little errand that I had to run, but it just... Turned into this wild goose chase, and... I really didn't think it was going to take that long. I'm sorry.

Doug: Look. Telling Dawson that you kissed Joey in a moment of weakness is a hell of a lot different than sneaking around with her behind his back, don't you think? Look, Pacey, at the end of the day, Joey and Dawson, they're gonna stay friends or whatever it is that they are, and you're gonna end up alone. All right? No girlfriend, no friend, just completely and utterly alone. Think about it.

[Scene: On Dawson's Porch. Pacey is about to knock on the door, when Joey comes running up to stop him.]

Joey: Hey. Hey.

Pacey: Hey, Jo, what's wrong? What's wrong?

Joey: Look, Pacey... We can't do this, ok?

Pacey: Can't do what?

Joey: I have to be the one to tell him, ok? I mean, things are really complicated between me and Dawson, and it has nothing to do with you. It's just...

[She takes him off the porch]

Joey: Look... It has to come from me, or else... It's going to ruin everything.

Pacey: Ok. Ok. That's ok. It's ok. Just calm down, Jo. It's all right. We'll do whatever you want to do, ok? I mean... If you want to know the god's honest truth... I've been in the process of chickening out the whole way over here.

Joey: Maybe it's a sign, Pacey.

Pacey: A sign of what?

Joey: It's just that for so long, he's been everything to me, Pacey. I mean, this guy has been my family when I haven't had one, and he's the one person in my life that I can always depend on, and--and this? This is gonna k*ll him.

Pacey: You never had any intention of telling him, did you? You didn't come over here tonight to tell him. You came here to stop me from telling him.

Joey: No. I tried to tell him. I went up there and I tried.

Pacey: Of course you did. Let me guess. You failed, right?

[Dawson comes out to see what's going on.]

Dawson: I thought I heard something out here.

Joey: Dawson, uh... We were just, uh—

Pacey: Having an argument.

Dawson: Obviously. What about?

Joey: Mmm...

Pacey: Us, Dawson. We were arguing about us. Me and Joey. There's an us here now.

[Scene: A night sh*t over the ocean. The sun is setting. And a voice over by Joey.]

[Scene: The docks. Andie, Jack, Jen, Doug and Buzz are sitting by “True Love” waiting for the rest of the group to get there to christen the boat. Dawson and Mitch one riding up in the car to Join them]

Andie: Oh, hey, look. There's Dawson and his dad.

Dawson: Right here. Oop! Whoa. That was almost a disaster. Hey, guys.

Dawson: She, uh, wanted to stop at a library first and plow through that Watergate history assignment.

Jen: Oh, speaking of which, I finally got through all the president's men. So if you'd like your tape back, I can return it now.

Dawson: Ok. I'll come by and pick it up. What'd you think?

Jen: Incredible movie. But, uh, Henry didn't feel as though there were enough cute teenage girls.

Jack: Hey, don't look now, but I think that's the captain of this vessel.

Dawson: Oh.

Pacey: Well, I guess we can get started.

Dawson: Not without this, we can't. Hey. Hi. As promised.

Pacey: Hey. Wow. Whoa. Champagne. Thank you. Nice, but, you know, sparkling apple cider would have probably worked just as well.

Dawson: Not for this occasion, man. This is a monumental accomplishment. You took something that was destined for the scrap heap...

Jen: Hi.

Joey: Hey.

[Scene: Next to a Payphone. Jen is talking on the phone as Joey is waiting for her to get off of it.]]

Jen: No, I-- if you come by around 2:00, my grams will be gone, all right? No-- no, no. All right, I'm taking Joey to the library, I'm gonna give grams her car back, and I will see you later. Ok, bye.

Joey: Thanks again for the ride, Jen.

Jen: Oh, god, don't worry about it.

Joey: I was supposed to go by this morning, and I got kind of busy, and...

Jen: You know you don't have to explain. Unless, of course, there's something that you want to explain.

Joey: Recently you and I spoke about unrequited feelings that a certain someone—

Jen: namely Pacey?

Joey: Namely Pacey, uh... May have had for me. And how those unrequited feelings express themselves in the form of a kiss. They're not... Um... Unrequited, that is. They are actually, uh... They're very much requited.

Jen: Ok, so you've kissed back a certain someone, namely Pacey... And... You'd like for that to continue?

Joey: I think so. I mean... Yes. But the thing is, my feelings have been clouded by my fear of what Dawson will do or say once he knows.

Jen: Joey, if you're asking me whether or not you should tell Dawson... The answer's a big fat yes.

Joey: I know. We're going to tell him. I mean, Pacey's going to do it today, and... He wanted to. I tried. I--I did. I tried plenty of times. It's-- it's just that... When we tell him... Dawson gets hurt. And if I tell Pacey not to tell him-- then Pacey's gonna get hurt.

Jen: [Sighs] yeah.

Joey: So... Whatever I do, I'm the villain. I mean, the girl's always the villain, right? In stories like these, she's always some... Wicked, conniving whore who manipulates her way between 2 brothers or 2 best friends.

Jen: Ok, Joey, keep in mind that most of those stories have been written by men.

Joey: I really wish I was more like you.

Jen: Oh, yeah.

Joey: You feel things, and you act on them. Pacey does the same thing. He's...Fearless.

Jen: All right, I'll let you in on a little secret about the so-called fearless. We're not as tough as you think we are. And Pacey's heart can break just as easily as the next guy. Maybe even more so, considering it was already broken when you got there.

[Scene: Inside the Library. Joey is on an upper floor, and she sees Andie talking to Pacey. Cut to a little later when Joey is at a computer when Andie comes up from behind.]]

Andie: Hey. Lady. 20-minute time limit on these things, right?

Joey: Sorry, Andie. I was just finishing up the Watergate assignment. How about you?

Andie: Oh, nowhere near done. But I'm taking off anyway. I have a date tonight.

Joey: Will?

Andie: Yeah. I like him. I do. And he's smart, way smart. And he has no idea how cute he is. Which is key, 'cause god save us from the ones who do.

Joey: So what's the problem?

Andie: He's... He's not Pacey. Ohh! Pathetic. I know. I know. And I thought I was over him. I really, really did. But then I bumped into him a little while ago, and...I mean, technically we're friends, right? And that's how I played it. But then it's, like, when I saw him, every irritating/adorable thing he ever did flashed before my eyes, and... I mean, that's the true test, right? When you just bump into somebody... And if you're not over him, then boom--floodgates.

[Scene: Outside Downtown on the sidewalk. Dawson runs into Joey on the street.]

Dawson: Hey.

Joey: Dawson. Uh—

Dawson: You hurried much?

Joey: Yeah. I just, um... I must have lost track of time. I was supposed to meet Bessie at home by now. I-- ok. I wanted-- I was gonna call you.

Dawson: Do you want to do a movie night tonight? I've got to help my mom with something, but I could pick up a movie on my way home.

Joey: You know, I really don't think I'll be able to. Maybe some other time, ok?

Dawson: Ok. Are you all right?

Joey: Yeah. Oh, yeah, I'm fine. I just-- I have to, uh... I have to, uh... Uh... Uh...

Dawson: Go?

Joey: Yes. I gotta go. Bye.

Dawson: All right. I'll see you.

Joey: Bye.

[Scene: Inside Doug's Apartment. The camera is focused on the Answering machine. We can hear Joey's voice on it as it records her message.]

Joey: Pacey? Doug? Ok, you're not there. Um... Look, Pacey, um, don't do what you said you were going to do today, ok? Dawson's not even home. I just kind of ran into him, and--and I think you should wait. I think you should wait until you talk to me, 'cause... I really think that I should be the one to tell him. Ok. [Joey hangs up]

[Scene: Dawson's Bedroom. Dawson is sitting watching a movie as Joey climbs in through the open window to Join him.]

Movie: ...Nothing to you. You wait. She's not your girl, and she-- she is my girl. I don't care if we did break up. You don't even live here anymore. That don't make no difference. I've always lived here. I'm gettin' her back. I'm telling you right now, she's gonna marry me one of these days when I get a little bit more money. She won't marry you. Sure she will. We always meant to get married. She's going off to college soon. I doubt...

Dawson: You changed your mind.

Joey: Kind of. Um... I--I wanted to talk to you, Dawson. Um... Pacey hasn't been here, has he?

Dawson: No. Is he supposed to be?

Joey: Uh, no. Actually, uh... Um...No. What are you watching?

Dawson: The last picture show.

Joey: Isn't that the movie that we saw when we-- our first date.

Dawson: Yep. Yes, it is. It wasn't exactly a successful evening, was it? At least not movie-wise.

Joey: What do you mean?

Dawson: We never got to see the end.

Joey: So, uh... How does it end, Dawson?

Dawson: Well, there's 3 friends that grew up with each other. Jeff bridges is in love with Cybill shepherd... And she dumps him and breaks his heart, and he's devastated... Um...And she's not. Ha. She, uh...She just kind of moves on to the other guy. And, um...It destroys their friendship. And...That's pretty much how it ends-- everyone, uh, alone, everyone hating each other. It's--[laughs] it's really depressing, actually. I don't--I don't know why I'm watching it. Um... So what'd you want to talk about?

Joey: You know, I just-- I actually-- I just remembered that, um, I promised Bessie that I would help... Watch Alexander tonight, and she's probably waiting for me, so, um... Bye.

[Scene: On Dawson's Porch. Pacey is about to knock on the door, when Joey comes running up to stop him.]

Joey: Hey. Hey.

Pacey: Hey, Jo. What's wrong?

Joey: Look, Pacey... We can't do this, ok?

Pacey: What? Can't do what?

Joey: I have to be the one to tell him, ok? I mean, things are really complicated between me and Dawson, and it has nothing to do with you. It's just... Look-- it has to come from me, or else... It's going to ruin everything.

Pacey: Ok. Ok. Just calm down. We'll do whatever you want, all right? Do whatever you want. [Chuckles] do you wanna know the god's honest truth?

[Cut to a little bit later off the porch.]

Pacey: You didn't come here tonight to tell him, did you?

Joey: No, that's not true, Pacey. I tried to tell him. I went up there, and I tried. Of course you did.

Pacey: Let me guess. You failed, right?

[Dawson comes out to Join them]

Dawson: I thought I heard something out here.

Joey: Dawson, we were just—

Pacey: having an argument.

Dawson: Obviously. What about?

Joey: Uh...

Pacey: Us. We were having an argument about us. There's an us here now. I'm sorry, man. We didn't wanna tell you this way.

Dawson: You didn't tell me.

Joey: You know, don't you?

Dawson: Yeah, I know.

Andie: Oh, hey, look! There's Dawson and his dad.

Dawson: Right here. Oop! Whoa! That was almost a disaster. Hey, guys.

Dawson: She, uh, wanted to stop by a library first and plow through that Watergate history assignment.

[Scene: Inside the boathouse. Joey and Pacey are there kissing and hugging each other quite a bit.]

Pacey: So we're agreed?

Joey: Agreed.

Pacey: Ok.

Joey: Pacey.

Pacey: Right.

Joey: You go first. I'll catch up with you later.

[Scene: The Boat Docks. Everyone is ready to watch the christening.]

Jack: Hey, don't look now, but I think that's the captain of this vessel.

Andie: Well, then I guess we can get started.

Dawson: Not without this, we can't. As promised.

Pacey: Whoa! Champagne. Ha ha. You know, sparkling apple cider would have worked just as well, Dawson.

Dawson: Not for this occasion, man. This is a monumental accomplishment. You took something that was destined for the scrap heap and managed to turn it not only into a thing of beauty, but also a viable mode of transportation.

Jack: Witter, come on, man. Let's get the show on the road.

Pacey: Be right there, man. Uh... Look, Dawson, you gonna be home after all this?

Dawson: Yeah. For a little bit. I've got to work later.

Pacey: Cool. Uh... All right, well, look. I know you guys are all on tight schedules, so I'm gonna keep this thing short. It's a beautiful day and all.

Dawson: Hey.

Joey: Hey.

Pacey: Um... First and foremost, I should probably thank hurricane Chris for enabling a poor schlub like me to actually be able to afford a boat like this. But, uh, secondly and more importantly, I'd like to thank everybody who pitched in... Everybody who scraped and sanded and polished and painted and otherwise helped out to get this boat back in the water. Some, of course, did that more willingly than others. So, uh... Without further ado... I christen for you... True love. That's it.

[Scene: Inside the School Library. Dawson is looking through the racks when he sees Will on the other side looking around.]

Dawson: Will?

Will: Hey. Dawson, hey. Um, look, I was wonderin' if you could help me out. I'm lookin' for some secret room Andie says is, like, ideal for studying.

Dawson: Um... She probably means the genealogy room. It's usually pretty dead in there.

Will: Cool. Guess I'll try that.

Dawson: All right. Good luck.

Will: Thanks.

[Will leaves but comes right back.]

Will: Hey, Dawson. What did, uh, you and Joey do on your first date?

Dawson: Excuse me?

Will: You know, if you don't want to tell me—

Dawson: No, it's fine. It's just-- I'm kind of surprised. It's a left field question.

Will: Yeah, but, uh, not if you just asked someone out.

Dawson: Andie?

Will: Yeah. Um, so, what should I do?

Dawson: Well, Joey and I went to the movies, which is a really terrible idea because you can't talk to the person. You can't even really look at 'em. So, what would you suggest? Um...There's always the creek. The night sky overhead, moonlight reflected in the water. It's one of those things that's achieved cliché status 'cause it actually is that romantic.

Will: Oh, uh, where would I get a boat?

Dawson: Uh, my house.

Will: You sure?

Dawson: Yeah, absolutely. You know where it is. Just come by and get it.

Will: Great. So, what are you up to tonight?

Dawson: I think I might try and hook up with an old friend.

[Scene: Grams' Porch. Jen is sitting reading a book, while Henry is standing by the door of her house.]

Henry: So I'm really not allowed in the house?

Jen: Sorry. According to grams, you're public enemy number one.

Henry: What if I have to use the bathroom? Or the phone? What if you start to choke and I need to call 911?

Jen: Well, then we'll just have to consult an etiquette book from 1955.

[He sits down next to her and kisses her.]

Jen: What are you doing?

Henry: I don't know. Stuff.

[Jen sees Dawson outside starting to head over to her house.]

Jen: You know what, Henry? Why don't you go inside?

Henry: You just told me I couldn't.

Jen: Well, I changed my mind. No, I know. It's ok. Go.

[Dawson walks up to the porch.]

Dawson: Hey. I'm sorry. I can come back if it's a bad time.

Jen: Oh, god, no, no. I was expecting that you'd come by anyway. How ya doin'? You all right?

Dawson: I'm fine.

Jen: You know, if you wanna just come inside and hang out with Henry and I... We could use a chaperone.

Dawson: As tempting as that sounds, I think I'm just gonna go watch a movie, relive better days.

Jen: I know this must seem like the hardest thing in the world right now, but, you know what? In the long run, it's better that Pacey told you.

Dawson: Told me what? Tell me what?

Jen: That--nothing.

Dawson: If it's nothing, then why were you so concerned about me?

Jen: No, I wasn't concerned.

Dawson: Yes, you were. You were concerned because you assumed Pacey told me something. Told me what, Jen? The fact that you're unwilling to answer my question speaks volumes. It has to do with Joey, doesn't it? It does, doesn't it?

Jen: God, I'm so sorry.

Dawson: You've known about this?

Jen: Dawson, it wasn't my place to say anything. I didn't want to interfere. I wanted to protect you. Wait, Dawson. Wait, stop, say something. Please.

Dawson: I'm fine, all right? I'm fine.

Jen: No.

Dawson: I'm fine.

Jen: No, you are not fine. What can I say? What can I do?

Dawson: You can do me the same favor that you did them. You can keep this to yourself, all right? Thanks for protecting me.

[Scene: Dawson's Bedroom. Dawson is sitting watching a movie as Joey climbs in through the open window to Join him.]

Movie: Just never thought you'd do me that way. I thought we were still best friends. We are. What you so mad for? I never done nothin' to you. I guess screwin' my girl ain't nothin' to you. I ain't screwin' her. The hell you ain't.

[Rustling at window]

Dawson: Hey. You changed your mind.

Joey: Kind of. I wanted to talk to you, Dawson, um... Pacey's not here, is he?

Dawson: Uh, no. Is he supposed to be?

Joey: No.

Movie: She'd never let you screw her, that's for sure.

Joey: What are you watching anyway?

Dawson: The last picture show.

Joey: Isn't that the movie that we saw when-- our first date.

Dawson: Yep. Yes, it is. Wasn't exactly a successful evening, was it? At least not movie-wise.

Joey: What do you mean?

Dawson: Well, we never got to see the end.

Joey: So, uh, how does it end, Dawson?

Dawson: Well, it's 3 friends that grew up with each other. Jeff bridges is in love with Cybill shepherd, and she dumps him and breaks his heart. He's completely devastated... And turns out she's not. She just kind of moves on to the other guy, and it destroys their friendship. It's never the same after that, and that's how the movie ends. Everyone alone. Everyone hating each other. It's pretty depressing, actually. I don't know why I'm watching it. [Turns off movie] So what was it you wanted to talk about?

Joey: You know, I just, I actually-- I just remembered that I promised Bessie that I would help watch Alexander tonight, and she's probably waiting for me, so, um... Bye.

[Dawson is trying to fight his tears after she leaves. Shortly he hears some voices from his window.]

Pacey: You didn't come here to tell him. You just came here to stop me from tellin' him.

Joey: Look, that's not true, Pacey. I tried. I tried to tell him. I went up there, and I tried.

Pacey: Of course you did. Let me guess. You failed, right?

[Scene: Outside Dawson's House. Pacey, Joey are Dawson are there arguing about what has happened.]

Pacey: I'm sorry, man. We didn't want to tell you this way.

Dawson: You didn't tell me.

Joey: You know, don't you?

Dawson: Yeah, I know. So were you planning on telling me, or was this just gonna be a secret fling?

Joey: Look, it's not like that.

Dawson: Then how was it? 'Cause Jen was short on details.

Joey: She told you?

Dawson: Well, she thought I knew. I mean... I had to be pretty frickin' stupid not to know, right? That the 2 people I trusted most in the world were lying to me? So are you bored? Are you confused or just malicious?

Pacey: Hey, look, I started this thing, ok? If you're gonna get angry at somebody, you get angry at me.

Dawson: I don't think you're in any position to talk about what's fair. You were my best friend.

Pacey: I still am.

Dawson: I'm finding that a little hard to process right now.

Pacey: It's the truth, Dawson.

Dawson: So I guess it's safe to assume that friendship doesn't come above sex in your list of personal priorities.

Pacey: This has nothing to do with sex.

Dawson: Oh, what, are you in love? Is that what this is? Oh, god, don't look. Don't look at her, all right? Don't. I-- you know what, Pacey? I feel sorry for you. Because when all this is over, you're really gonna need your friends, and you're not gonna have any. You are not gonna have a single one.

[Andie and Will come walking up from Dawson's pier.]

Andie: Hey, guys. What's goin' on?

Dawson: Why don't you ask Pacey? Ask him how long he and Joey have been sneakin' around behind my back, or better yet, ask Joey. Ask her how long she's been lying to me and to you. Go ahead, ask 'em because I can't stand to look at 'em anymore.

[Scene: Jen's Porch. Jen is standing there holding the door open trying to get Dawson to stop from leaving.]

Jen: Wait, Dawson. Dawson, wait, stop. Say something, please.

Dawson: I'm fine, all right. I'm fine. I'm fine.

Jen: No. No, you are not fine. What can I say? What can I do?

Dawson: You can do me the same favor that you did them. You can keep this to yourself, all right? Thanks for protecting me.

[Henry comes out of the house to stand next to Jen.]

Henry: So, where were we?

Jen: Henry, I just did the most awful thing.

Henry: It couldn't have been that awful.

Jen: Believe me, it was. God, I totally screwed up. I accidentally told Dawson something he wasn't supposed to know and really hurt his feelings in the process.

Henry: But you didn't mean to do it.

Jen: Yeah, but it's still my fault. I mean, I'm the one who messed up.

[Henry tries to kiss her.]

Jen: Hey, no. I'm not sure what it is that you're doing right now, but it's not helping matters any.

Henry: That's 'cause you're not giving it a chance.

[Henry tries to kiss her again.]

Jen: I mean it.

Henry: Look, I'm just trying to make you feel better.

Jen: No, you're not. You're trying to make yourself feel better.

Henry: What did I do that was so terrible?

Jen: Don't you even want to know what just happened?

Henry: Maybe I don't. Maybe for once I want to put us before whatever little mini-drama you and your friends have whipped up this week.

Jen: Ok. You know what? Why don't you leave? I'm not kidding. Leave.

Henry: Now you're being irrational.

Jen: No. No, just irritated. Irrational is when I get violent, which is gonna happen in 2 seconds if you don't get your horny freshman ass out of here.

[Scene: Late at night on the Creek. Andie and Will are out on the creek and Will is rowing the boat as they talk.]

Will: A little much maybe, for a first date?

Andie: No. No, I mean, it's beautiful.

Will: Come on, admit it. I did kind of go...

Andie: Overboard?

Will: Plan b. Pretend we're not on a date.

Andie: Ok. Um, you're rowing us across a body of water. What do you want me to pretend? That this is something from Greek mythology?

Will: Orpheus and Eurydice. Do you know that one?

Andie: Uh-uh.

Will: They were a couple of kids, totally in love, but then she d*ed. Snake bite. He couldn't deal, so being the ancient world's most kick-ass musician, he goes to the underworld, located the proper authorities and played for 'em... All about Eurydice and how he had to have her back.

Andie: And? What happens?

Will: It worked... But there was one condition. He wasn't allowed to look at her until they were back in the real world, so they set out, and as they were just about to make it, he looked back.

Andie: So, she d*ed all over again?

Will: He went to grab for her, and all he got was air.

[Scene: Outside Dawson's House. Andie and Will come walking up the pier to Join the argument already going on between Pacey, Joey and Dawson.]

Andie: Hey, guys. What's goin' on?

Dawson: Why don't you ask Pacey? Ask him how long he and Joey have been sneaking around behind my back, or better yet, ask Joey. Ask her how long the two of them have been lying to you and to me. Go ahead, ask 'em 'cause I can't even stand to look at 'em anymore.

[Dawson leaves and goes into his house and Joey runs after him.]

Andie: So, is this true, Pacey? You and Joey?

Pacey: Yes.

Andie: I don't know what to say.

Pacey: Me neither.

Andie: You must really, uh... You know, to give up your friendship with Dawson, to give up everything. God, how could you be so stupid, Pacey? You know you're gonna get hurt. She is never going to love you like she loves him, ok? He is her first love, Pacey. Her first love.

[Scene: Inside Dawson's Bedroom. Dawson enters and Joey Joins him.]]

Joey: Look, I didn't intend for this to happen, Dawson.

Dawson: What you intended does not provide me any solace. What? Do you love him? Are you-- you just want to sleep with him?

Joey: No. How could you say that?

Dawson: It's what he's gonna expect.

Joey: We're not together, Dawson, and we haven't been for a long time. Almost a whole year has—

Dawson: Are you punishing me? Because I didn't want to get back together with you?

Joey: Why would you think that I would—

Dawson: Why, Joey? Because you keep on saying that you want to go find yourself. Is this what you've been looking for the whole time? Is Pacey what you've been looking for?

Joey: No.

Dawson: Then explain it to me, Joey. Explain to me how 2 people who can barely stand to be in the same room with each other end up outside my window arguing about the future of their relationship.

Joey: I can't, ok? I can't explain it. It happened. Everything between you and me is so complicated.

Dawson: Joey, if things are complicated between us, it's because you made them that way, all right? You. And you think that... Whatever was wrong when you were with me is gonna magically get better when you're with him?

Joey: I don't know, Dawson. I don't know, ok? I just know that I-- I need him.

Dawson: You need him like you need me? Joey, it's a simple question. Do you need him like you need me?

Joey: No. Look, you can't do that, Dawson. You can't. Those 2 things have nothing to do with each other, and you know that. The way that I feel about him is completely separate from the way that I feel about you and our friendship.

Dawson: Joey, we don't have a friendship right now. As of right now, we do not have a friendship.

Joey: That is not fair!

Dawson: You can't have both of us! You can't have him as your boyfriend and me as your consolation prize. You're gonna have to make a choice, and I'll tell you right now, if you choose him, I'm not gonna be around to pick up the pieces when it all falls apart. This ruins everything. There's no goin' back.

Joey: Ok. What do you want me to say, Dawson? Tell me what you want me to say. What do you want to hear?

Dawson: I don't want you to say anything. I want you to leave.

[Joey leaves through the window.]

[ A little later there is a knock on door and Jen is at the Door to his bedroom.]

Jen: Hell of a day, huh?

Dawson: I have no desire to rewind and live it again, if that's what you mean.

Jen: You shouldn't be alone right now.

Dawson: Why not? I am alone. I might as well get used to it.

Jen: You're not alone, Dawson. Don't ever think that.

Dawson: Jen, why didn't you tell me?

Jen: If 2 people are on a crash course for each other and you throw yourself in between... It's only gonna bring them all that much closer.

Dawson: So, what am I supposed to do now? Am I supposed to just accept this? Am I supposed to just wake up tomorrow like nothing's changed?

Jen: You just have to let things run their course, and you have to let her decide what it is that she really wants.

Dawson: I can't let her go.

Jen: What else can you do?

Dawson: You can fight. You can fight for what you want.

[Scene: The boat docks. Pacey is sitting there and Joey comes up to Join him.]

Pacey: Yeah. You?

Joey: Yeah.

Pacey: So, what would you have done differently?

Joey: I don't know. Everything. Nothing at all. We'd still end up right back here, and I don't think I know where here is.

Pacey: Here is right where we started.

Joey: Well, she looks beautiful in the water.

Pacey: This morning was really just a formality. I still don't know if she's sea-worthy.

Joey: She looks pretty solid.

Pacey: I don't know. I think I see some stormy weather ahead.

Joey: Pacey...

Pacey: It's over, isn't it?

Joey: It has to be.

Pacey: Maybe you should be the first one to go this time.

[Joey walks down the pier and then turns back only to see a light on in the boat house.]