04x05 - A Family Way

Episode transcripts for the TV show, "Dawson's Creek". Aired: January 1998 to May 2003.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

Four friends in a small coastal town help each other cope with adolescence.

04x05 - A Family Way

Post by bunniefuu »

Episode 405 - A Family Way

[Scene: The Leery Fish House Kitchen. Gale has walked in followed by Mitch and Dawson who are arguing with her.]

Gale: I keep telling you, I'm fine.

Mitch: Do people who are fine spend the entire afternoon in our bathroom throwing up?

Gale: But I'm fine now.

Dawson: Mom. I'm not taking sides, but dad's right. You're not going to get better unless you get some rest.

Gale: I don't believe this. My own son.

[Gretchen enters the kitchen]

Gretchen: Gale, the Guinness tap just ran dry, we're out of Stoli, and somebody just found a hair in the pretzels.

Gale: Ok. Call the beer distributor. Tell him he's a week late. If he can't get his ass over today, he's fired. Give the guy who found a hair a free drink. Put out a fresh bowl of pretzels and then tell my husband and my traitor son to get off my back.

Gretchen: You heard the woman.

Mitch: For the sake of your business go home before your customers catch your stomach flu and we have to rename the restaurant Leery's pending lawsuit.

Dawson: He's right.

Gale: All right. All right. I give up.

Mitch: She promised me she'd go to the doctor last week.

Dawson: I thought she had the same thing you had. Yours didn't keep coming back.

Gretchen: Guys, gale's been throwing up a lot, right? And she's still hungry and putting on some weight? She's tired all the time? Her back hurts? Irritability, mood swings?

Mitch: Yeah. The worst.

Dawson: How'd you know?

Gretchen: Sounds to me like she'll be feeling a lot better in about 9 months.

Dawson: What?

[Opening Credits]

[Scene: Dawson's House upstairs by the bathroom. Mitch and Dawson are standing outside the door as Mitch paces back and forth.]

Mitch: how's it going in there?

Gale: I can't concentrate with you talking out there about what I'm doing in here. Ok, now it's way too quiet.

Mitch: Uh, Dawson, um, so have you started studying for your S.A.T.S, yet?

Dawson: Took the S.A.T.S. Twice.

Mitch: I knew that.

[Gale comes out of the bathroom carrying a pregnancy test.]

Gale: It's pink.

Mitch: All right. All right. First thing we do is, uh, we get you to a doctor A.S.A.P. To confirm your results and make sure everything's ok.

Gale: Where you going?

Dawson: Uh, I'm late. It's my first day painting Mr. Brooks' house.

Mitch: Well, aren't you going to say anything first?

Dawson: Congratulations.

[Scene: Pacey's front Porch. Joey and Pacey are sitting on a chair necking with one another.]

Pacey: Uh-uh-uh.

Joey: What's wrong? Why'd you stop?

Pacey: Uh, well, because every afternoon, we sit out here and we make out, and then inevitably at some point, you stop us, and we just go inside and watch TV for the rest of the afternoon. So today I'm issuing a preemptive strike. And I'm issuing a counteroffensive. [She begins kissing him again.]No, no. Stop right there. Haven't you ever heard the term no means no?

Joey: I don't think I've ever heard that from you.

Pacey: Well, you're hearing it now. I'm serious. It's time for us to watch some TV.

Joey: Let me get this straight. Your girlfriend offers you her lips in the spirit of teenage lust, and you'd rather sit here and watch the e! True Hollywood story on Danny Bonaduce for the fourth time?

Pacey: You always get to stop it. And I never get to stop it. So today, I'm stopping it.

Joey: Stop it, Pacey.

Pacey: I just did.

Joey: You know what I mean.

Pacey: And you know how I feel.

Joey: Are we having a fight?

Pacey: Well, not to the best of my knowledge.

Joey: Feels like one of those times when you say that you're kidding around, but really, we're having a fight, pace.

Pacey: I assure you, everything is perfectly all right.

[Scene: The Capeside Soccer Field. Jack and Andie are walking together talking as they come out onto the field. There are tons of little children running around, attempting to play soccer.]

Jack: How did I get myself into this? I was a mediocre soccer player back in junior high. I know nothing about kids. I've never coached anything in my life.

Andie: Come on, coaching peewee soccer is a great opportunity to help mold young minds, teach them about teamwork and sportsmanship. Ok. The only reason to do it is because it looks good on your college apps. But don't worry. I take full responsibility should it turn out to be disastrous.

Jack: Damn straight.

Andie: Oh! Hey, kids. I'm Andie, and this is my brother jack. And together, we are all about to embark upon a soccer experience that will enrich your lives for years to come.

Kids: Ohh.

Andie: Ok. Everybody who wants to have some fun, raise their hands.

Jack: What's your name?

Boy: Her name is molly, coach jack.

Jack: Molly. You don't want to talk, molly? How come?

Boy: 'Cause she hates soccer.

Molly: Shut up.

Boy: She hates soccer.

Jack: Why do you hate soccer, molly? Ok. You don't want to talk, that's fine. You don't have to talk if you don't want to talk.

Molly: Gee, thanks.

Jack: I heard something. I think she talked. Anyway, what molly doesn't know is that by the end of the season, no one is going to hate soccer, 'cause we're going to have so much fun runnin' around, winning some games, and eating plenty of pizza afterwards. So who's with me?

Kids: Me! Yeah!

[Scene: Mr. Brooks House. Dawson is standing on a ladder painting the same spot over and over without even realizing. He is deep in thought when Mr. Brooks comes outside.]

Mr. Brooks: I think you have that space covered, Mr. Leery. Unless you'd like to be working off your debt into the next millennium.

Dawson: Sorry about that, Mr. Brooks.

Mr. Brooks: What might be prompting such a distracted performance? Worried which pompom girl to ask to the pep rally? Might I remind you that although I'm not paying you, it is you who owes me the debt of service. So I suggest you work it off to the best of your ability and leave the juvenile angst on the playground where it belongs.

Dawson: Will do, Mr. Brooks.

[Mr. Brooks turns to see some photos hanging out of Dawson's bag.]

Mr. Brooks: Well, well, what's this? Fancy yourself a photographer, an artiste? Let's have a look at these.

Dawson: Could you leave my personal property alone, please?

Mr. Brooks: Surely the boy who stole and wrecked my boat is not giving me a lecture on the sanctity of personal property? Pedestrian. Wholly uninteresting. Amateurish and terrible composition, too. You--you didn't take this on purpose? Whew! As a photographer, you're a mediocre house painter, Mr. Leery. Do you know what your problem is? Those photos are cold, unemotional. There is no spark.

Dawson: Thank you for the cogent analysis. I will keep that in mind next time.

[Scene: The Capeside High Cafeteria. Joey is sitting at a table thinking when Jen comes up to join her. Joey is very deep in thought.]

Jen: Hey, there. Well, looks like we were both robbed on that history test. "B-", my ass. What did you get?

Joey: I think I set the curve.

Jen: Well, I can see how that would be aggravating. [Giggles] jeez! What's wrong?

Joey: Nothing. Mashed potatoes are cold.

Jen: I got you. So, it's just been one tragedy after another today, huh?

Joey: Mashed potatoes are cold, and so am I.

Jen: Is this about sex?

Joey: Is it that obvious?

Jen: Heh! No, not really. It's just-- it's just that it always is.

Joey: I think Pacey is starting to get impatient.

Jen: Joey, he loves you. He'll wait.

Joey: But, Jen, Pacey's not the problem. It's me. I mean, let's face it. The waiting just goes on and on, and at this point, even I'm getting impatient, but...For some reason, I just keep waiting.

Jen: Joey, let me ask you something. Are you sure that you really wanna have sex?

Joey: Of course I wanna have sex. The question is am I ready? Because I don't know how you know. I mean... Everyone just says that you just know, but what if that's just what they say and they never really know?

Jen: Joey, I think that you'd feel more ready if you were actually prepared.

Joey: What do you mean?

Jen: Listen...For girls in New York, a visit to the free clinic to get birth control, safe-sex advice-- it's a rite of passage. It's like getting a bat mitzvah or, you know, your learner's permit test.

Joey: The free clinic.

Jen: Yeah. The truth is I don't think that anybody ever really knows if they're ready, but you do know if you're prepared, and you're not.

Joey: You're right.

Jen: To responsible sexual gratification.

Joey: To womanhood.

Jen: Cheers.

[Scene: The Doctor's Office Waiting room. Gale and Mitch are sitting on a couch waiting for the doctor and talking.]

Mitch: You ok?

Gale: I'm fine.

Mitch: Look, I've been thinking about it. I know this is terrifying. There's so many cards stacked against us, but it's gonna be ok. And don't worry about Dawson. He's just shocked, but he'll be fine. It's a good shock.

Gale: Now, Mitch, have you thought at all about how we can possibly send Dawson to college and raise another child? We're already in debt as it is. And what about the fact we're not exactly 25-year-olds anymore? Do we even have the stamina to be parents all over again? That's 20 more years that we would have to commit to another child. Not to mention what we put Dawson through these past few years. What if that happens again?

Mitch: That's not gonna happen again.

Gale: I don't know. I can't help thinking that we should have thought about this before.

Mitch: Maybe that's true... But you're pregnant now. I mean, that's the reality.

Gale: Um... Mitch, you're avoiding one thing. Just because I'm pregnant doesn't mean that I have to stay that way. And if I were to make that decision right this second... I wouldn't.

[Commercial Break]

[Scene: The Capeside Soccer Field. Jack is watching some of the kids play when a woman comes up to stand next to him.]

Jack: Hey, guys.

Caroline: So tragic. All these adults pushing their kids out onto the field in order to make one last grasp at vicarious glory.

[Both chuckle]

Caroline: I'm Caroline, by the way. Caroline say. Molly's older sister. Mom had me when she was 21, molly when she was 40. Mm-hmm. That would make me 28, in case you were wondering.

Jack: Gotcha.

Caroline: And how old would that make you?

Jack: I'm 18.

Caroline: Hmm. Girlfriend?

Jack: Uh, sister.

Caroline: Oh. Cool. Heh heh heh. Coach jack, am I making you uncomfortable?

Jack: [Laughs] no. Why would you say that?

Caroline: Oh, I just thought maybe you thought I was flirting or something.

Jack: Flirting? Why-- why would I think you're flirting?

Caroline: Because I am flirting.

Jack: Heh! Um... Caroline? Mm-hmm? Uh, look, I-I'm flattered and everything, but, uh—

Caroline: I'm coming on too strong. And you're shy.

Jack: Yeah, see, I--I am. I'm shy and-- and I'm—

Caroline: shy and what?

Jack: Shy and...

Caroline: All right, you mull that one over, and I'll just be seeing your sweet face tomorrow. Until then, au revoir, coach jack.

[Scene: Outside the Leery Fish House. Gretchen and Dawson are standing at one of the tables outside, and Gretchen is looking at Dawson's Pictures as he plays with his camera snapping pictures of her.]

Gretchen: That old man is clearly nuts. These are great, Dawson.

Dawson: Actually, he's right. They suck.

Gretchen: No, they most definitely do not suck.

Dawson: Oh, it's ok. [Shutter clicks] one has to suck before you can stop sucking. True genius begins in mediocrity.

Gretchen: Well, I appreciate the humble artist bit.

Dawson: It's way preferable to self-described genius.

Gretchen: But even you cannot deny your natural abilities. Ok, if you don't stop taking my picture, I'm gonna smack you.

Dawson: Am I making you uncomfortable?

Gretchen: Yes.

Dawson: Good.

Gretchen: [Giggles] stop it! I mean it! Stop!

Dawson: I'm just gonna finish this role of film.

Gretchen: No!

Dawson: Come on.

Gretchen: Aah! [Both laughing] stop!

[Shutter clicks]

[They sit on a bench across the street. After almost getting hit by a car crossing it.]

Dawson: [huffs] so... You know, you're right about my mom. She's pregnant.

[Shutter clicks]

Gretchen: I figured.

Dawson: Maybe you can help me. I'm-- when I found out... Heh. I was upset.

Gretchen: Really? Why?

Dawson: Well, they're in their forties. They're about to send a kid to college. They barely have any money in the bank. Their relationship the past couple of years hasn't exactly been rock-solid. Everything's so unstable. It just seems... Completely irresponsible.

Gretchen: It is.

Dawson: Yeah, but I can't feel that way. I mean, I don't wanna feel that way, you know? I wanna be happy for them. Any idea how I can swing that?

Gretchen: You mean how can you make yourself feel something that you're not? Heh heh! I don't know. All I know is I can't help but wonder how your mom feels right now. I mean, she's the one with the baby growing inside of her, you know, the one who doesn't have any money in the bank, the one whose kid is about to go off to college, the one who just got back together with her husband.

Dawson: I--you know. I knew you were the right person to talk to. I'm starting to feel bad already.

[Gretchen is a little uncomfortable about something.]

Gretchen: I gotta go.

Dawson: Why?

Gretchen: Break's over. I'll see you later.

Dawson: Ok.

[Scene: The Capeside Free Clinic. Joey is waiting in one of the examining rooms when the Nurse comes in to join her.]

Nurse: Have a seat. Did you schedule a pelvic exam with the doctor?

Joey: Mm-hmm.

Nurse: Ok, I'm gonna ask you a few questions, and I apologize ahead of time if they are a little bit unsettling. Are you ready? Are you currently sexually active?

Joey: What do you mean?

Nurse: Are you currently having intercourse?

Joey: Oh! I'm--I'm sorry. I wasn't sure. Never mind. I-- no, I--but I'm going to be having intercourse. It's--that's why I'm here.

Nurse: Are you aware that there is a chlamydia epidemic and that syphilis cases are on the rise?

Joey: Syphilis?

Nurse: Are you aware that there is currently no cure for the sexually transmitted diseases herpes, HIV, and HPV? And are you aware that while the pill offers excellent protection against pregnancy, it does not protect against sexually transmitted diseases? Have you had sexual relations in the past, and if so, were there any instances of unprotected sex?

Joey: No, I'M... A virgin, 100%

Nurse: and are you currently in a monogamous relationship?

Joey: So far as I know.

Nurse: Is there any reason why you'd think your partner's not being monogamous?

Joey: Oh, no, no! I-- I was just kidding. He's definitely monog—

Nurse: you know, Joey, sometimes we think our partner is being monogamous—

Joey: no, he's definitely monogamous. There's really no doubt in my mind.

Nurse: Regardless, it's important to practice safe sex. Now, is your partner willing to wear condoms?

Joey: Yes.

Nurse: Ms. Potter, these aren't even the hard questions. What if you become pregnant or contract an std? I mean, these are the potential consequences of sex.

Joey: Ok.

Nurse: Maybe you should know the other side of the coin, Joey. I mean, sex can be a wonderful, fun, fulfilling part of life. There's nothing to be ashamed or afraid of. I just... Want you to approach it with a certain level of maturity and responsibility, that's all.

Nurse: So you scheduled your pelvic exam for next week. In the meantime, here you go. Condoms, spermicide, some information about birth control, Depo-Provera, other birth control options. And Joey?

Joey: Yeah?

Nurse: Smile.

[Scene: The Capeside Soccer Field. Jack and Andie are on the field. Jack is playing Goalie as Andie is playing with one of the balls and they are talking about the coaching thing.]

Jack: Hmm! You know that girl molly, the one that never wants to talk?

Andie: Yeah?

Jack: I don't know. I feel like I'm-- I'm bringing her out of her shell or making a difference or something. You think that's stupid?

Andie: Nah, I think that's pretty awesome.

Jack: There is one problem. You know that girl Caroline who comes to practice with molly? I think she propositioned me yesterday.

Andie: What? No! Ok. Was she just flirting? I mean, maybe she was just flirting.

Jack: No, no, no. No, she was one step away from reaching her hand down my pants and checking out the merchandise.

Andie: Eww! Ok, I do not need to hear that.

Jack: I know, but you gotta help me, 'cause she won't take no for an answer. I mean, I think the word "no" just turns her on even more.

Andie: So just tell her you're gay.

Jack: Andie... The word "gay" is kind of controversial when you're talking about working with kids.

Andie: Oh, that's crap.

Jack: I know it's crap, but it's a reality. I mean, all I wanna do right now is just put "soccer coach" on my college apps, not "gay civil rights crusader."

Andie: All right, all right. I'll help you out with this.

Jack: Yeah, thanks.

Andie: Oh, and, uh, jack? You know, I just hope that you're a better coach than you are a player, because you suck! Ha! Yes, another one!

[Scene: Dawson's House Dinning Room. Dawson comes out of the Dark room when he hears his parents, and joins them in the Dinning room.]

[Faint talking]

Dawson: good. You guys are home. Uh, I want to talk to you.

Mitch: What is it, Dawson? It's about how I reacted when I found out that mom was pregnant. Um... I was really shocked and, um... Maybe a little bit disappointed, but I've been thinking, and I've just-- I've realized that... Heh! This is amazing. I mean... God, I'm-- I'm gonna have a little brother or sister. I mean, how cool is that?

Mitch: Dawson... We're not gonna have the baby.

Dawson: What?

Gale: I know. Believe me, this isn't exactly the way that we wanted to tell you.

Dawson: You know, w-wait a sec-- j-just... Just like that? You make a decision like this in a day?

Gale: Uh, well, no, actually, Dawson, it wasn't just like that. I had suspected that I was pregnant for some time. I just didn't wanna deal with it because I knew what my decision would be if I was.

Dawson: I can't believe this.

Gale: Well, honey, you should be happy. Your lackluster attempt at excitement just now wasn't exactly Oscar-worthy.

Dawson: Mom, I meant everything that I said. I'm trying to be supportive. Dad, you actually agreed to this?

Mitch: Yes, I did.

Gale: No, Dawson. He's lying to protect me. It was my idea and my suggestion. And yes, I know. I'm a terrible mother, aren't I?

Dawson: Th-that's not what I said.

Gale: Let's not pretend it's not what you think, honey. It's no lie that I have messed up at being your mother at every turn, that I'm the one that tore your family apart—

Dawson: wait a-- d-don't use me as the excuse for making this decision. That's not fair.

Gale: It's not an excuse, Dawson. No, I sat down, and I considered all the facts. And the fact is... I can't do it again. I can't handle the mistakes. Now, you put that together with the money issues and my age and everything else, and the only answer is... I can't have the baby. Now, honey, maybe you're gonna hate me forever because of this, or maybe you'll never be able to understand, but the fact is... This is my decision, and I have made it. And now this discussion... It's over.

[Commercial Break]
[Scene: Dawson's Beedroom. Dawson is sitting on his bed going through some of his pics when his father comes upstairs to get him.]

[Knocks at door]

Mitch: hey, your mother wanted me to tell you that breakfast is ready.

Dawson: Well, tell my mother I'm not hungry.

Mitch: She also wanted me to tell you that she's sorry you're upset. And I can personally attest to her not sleeping a wink last night.

Dawson: Is she really gonna do this?

Mitch: Yes.

Dawson: What about you? What do you want?

Mitch: I don't know what I want. But I do know that I don't want her going through with the pregnancy if it's not the right thing for her to do. Ultimately it's her body, her decision. I respect that.

Dawson: What if it's the wrong decision?

Mitch: Did I ever tell you that we tried for 3 years to get pregnant before we had you?

Dawson: No.

Mitch: Yeah. We'd just about given up. And then, after you were born, we tried again. 5 years of hope and disappointment. I had always wanted a big family, you know. A house filled with love and all that. Admitting that it would never happen... That was devastating. But then, one morning, I woke up... I realized that it did happen. My house is filled with love, and my life is full. I don't know. Maybe for the rest of my life, I'll wonder, "what if?" But now... I am just so grateful to have you. And your mother. Makes all the rest easier to deal with.

[Scene: Joey's Bedroom. No one is in it when Bessie comes in carrying some laundry.]

Bessie: Joey, would you please tell your stupid boyfriend to stop sneaking his smelly clothes into our laundry. I'm trying to run a business here. And I'm talking to an empty room.

[Bessie begins to put the laundry away when she opens Joey's top drawer and sees the packet of condoms and stuff in it. And she closes the drawer after putting some stuff in when Joey comes in.]

Joey: What are you doing?

Bessie: Nothing. Just laundry. I gotta go.

[Joey goes to the drawer and opens it and then looks devastated.]

[Scene: The Capeside Soccer field. Caroline comes up to stand next to Jack. Standing actually very close to him.]

Kid: Aw, man, we stink.

Caroline: Ready for the game this afternoon?

Jack: Uh... Well, our defense sucks, and our offense is merely terrible.

Caroline: Ha ha! I'm sure they'll do great. So, jack, listen, I was thinking maybe tonight, we could—

Andie: oh, uh, jack, we've got that thing we've gotta do tonight.

Caroline: And who are you?

Andie: I'm jack's girlfriend.

Caroline: Really? I thought you were his sister.

Andie: Oh, yeah, um, well, actually, I am. Heh heh! I'm just making sure no one lays a hand on Jackers here, 'cause, uh, Natasha-- that's his girlfriend-- uh, she's a black belt, and she'd get really pissed.

Caroline: Really. Natasha? Natasha who?

Andie: Natasha...Boyardee.

Jack: Natasha Boyardee?

Caroline: [Chuckling] look, I really appreciate the overprotective sibling thing. I do. But I think jack here can make his own decisions.

Andie: And he's decided. He's not interested.

Caroline: Or maybe he's decided that it's none of your business and you should butt out and let him speak for himself.

Jack: Ok, you know what? It's just not gonna happen, ok?

Caroline: And why is that?

Jack: Because.

Caroline: That's why? Because?

Jack: Because I'm gay. All right?

Caroline: Wait a minute. Oh! N--[laughing] you didn't think I meant-- because I knew that. Heh heh! Of course I knew that.

[Scene: A Distant Capeside Dock. Gretchen is standing there looking out into the water when Dawson comes walking up to join her.]

Dawson: Hey.

Gretchen: Hey.

Dawson: Um, thank you for meeting me here. I didn't wanna go to your place for obvious reasons.

Gretchen: Understood. What's up?

Dawson: My mom is having an abortion. And, uh, I-I'm not sure that I'm dealing with it too well. And on-- on top of that, I feel awful about what they must be going through.

Gretchen: Well, what's the problem, really, Dawson? Are you worried about them? Or is it that your illusions of parental infallibility are finally shattered?

Dawson: Well, they were pretty much shattered during my mom's affair. But, um... What's your problem?

Gretchen: What do you think my problem is, Dawson?

Dawson: I think you went through what my mom's going through.

Gretchen: Heh. You're good.

Dawson: Uh, y-you don't have to talk about it if you don't want to.

Gretchen: Well, isn't that why you called me here?

Dawson: [Exhales] I need to understand why she's doing it. And I know that your situation is probably completely different, but-- I thought you might be able to help me. Otherwise, I never would have brought it up.

Gretchen: Heh! It's ok. I get it. You're right. I did get pregnant last semester. In the backseat of my--my boyfriend's Geo Prizm in the dorm parking lot while my roommate was studying for finals. Lynyrd Skynyrd was on the radio. And I hate Lynyrd Skynyrd... Which made me even madder when I found out that I was pregnant. So, there I was, you know, 20 years old, piles of student loans, a--a 2.9 GPA. So I made a decision. It was the hardest decision that I ever made in my life. [Exhales deeply] but it didn't matter, because... A week later, I woke up, and it was over. I had a miscarriage. And you'd think that I'd be happy, you know? But I wasn't. I felt really guilty. You know, for-- for getting off easy, for--for feeling relieved, and for putting myself in a position where I even had to make that kind of a decision.

Dawson: Does that mean that your decision was the same as my mom's?

Gretchen: Does it really matter?

Dawson: No. Thank you.

Gretchen: For what?

Dawson: For trusting me. I won't tell anyone.

Gretchen: I know you won't.

[Scene: The Potter B&B Dinning area. Joey, Bodie, Bessie, and 3 customers are sitting down to dinner.]

Bessie: I'm so glad you're having a nice visit. Did you take the tour yet?

Joey: Hey, I got an "a" on that English test.

Bodie: Oh, good for you, Jo.

Joey: Yeah, I was up all night studying at Pacey's. I'm exhausted.

Bessie: I'm sure you are.

Joey: Excuse me?

Bessie: Nothing. Pass the potatoes.

Joey: Not until you tell me what that meant.

Bessie: Bodie, dear, will you please pass the potatoes?

Joey: You'll get the potatoes when you tell me what that meant, Bess.

Bessie: You wanna know what it meant? Fine. It meant either you were at Pacey's having sex all night or you've started your own mail-order birth-control business out of your bedroom.

Joey: I knew it! I can't believe you snooped in my room.

Bessie: It was hard to miss, Jo. You've got enough in there to fill a warehouse. And I'll tell you what. I'd lock you in there if it was legal, because you're not ready to have sex.

Joey: Oh, so now you're playing ms. Responsible caretaker? Bessie, you let me spend an entire summer sailing around on a boat with Pacey alone.

Bessie: I didn't let you. You just went. What could I have possibly said?

Joey: Nothing. Just like there's nothing that you can say about this.

Bessie: There is one thing I can say about it, young lady. You're making the biggest mistake of your life.

Joey: Bessie, for your information, I'm not having sex, ok? But at some point, I probably will, and there's nothing you can do to stop me.

Bessie: You're a 17-year-old girl who doesn't understand the first thing about consequences and responsibility. You are not ready to have sex!

Joey: I am the oldest 17-year-old in Capeside, Bessie. My whole life is consequences and responsibility, ok? So, if you'll excuse me, I think I'll go to my "birth control warehouse."

[Scene: The Capeside Soccer Field. Jack is there with the team. Molly is standing looking like she is sad about something.]

Jack: Break! Break! Break! Go get 'em. Good luck. What's the matter, molly? You nervous about the game?

Molly: Billy and Todd aren't coming. We're definitely gonna lose.

Jack: They're coming. They're just a little late, that's all.

Molly: Their dads called my dad. They said they had to quit the team because you're dangerous. They're not coming.

Jack: Ok, um... Molly, I want you to remember something. Whether or not Todd and Billy quit the team or if, for that matter, everybody quits the team, you and me are gonna play some soccer, and then we're gonna get some pizza. Ok?

Molly: Don't worry, coach jack. They're all just jerks. I know you're not dangerous.

[Commercial Break]

[Scene: Outside the Potter B&B. Later that night. Joey is sitting on the bench in the yard when Bodie comes out to join her carrying Alexander with him.]

Bodie: Interesting floor show earlier, though I'm not sure it's good for repeat business.

Joey: You know, sometimes I don't get her. I mean, it's not like I'm perfect by any means, but there are a lot of kids out there doing a lot of stupid things, and I just think that she lucked out with me.

Bodie: I'd say you're right.

Joey: So why is she being so irrational?

Bodie: Your sister worries about you, Jo... All the time, in fact. She doesn't want you to end up like her. She wants more for you. You know, you're the one who's supposed to get outta here. She just wants to make sure that happens.

Joey: I know. I haven't made my decision yet. About sex, I mean. I... I just thought that if I got prepared, then I would be ready, and then afterwards, I got really scared. And then this morning, I felt like I was ready again, and then... This afternoon, I... I wasn't so sure.

Bodie: You know, Jo, I can't tell you what to do. No one can. For now, all I can say is if you're not ready to be prepared for sex, then you're probably not ready for sex.

[Scene: Dawson's Living Room. Gale and Mitch are sitting together on the couch, when Dawson comes down sstairs he is in somewhat of a hurry when he stops to talk to them.]

Dawson: Um... I just got a few minutes before I gotta go to Mr. Brooks', but, um... Uh... I wanted to say something about how I feel about your situation. Mom, you said that when you sat down to make this decision that you considered all the facts. But I think you're forgetting the most important one, and I just want to make sure that you have it before you make your final decision. You are the best mother that I know, and you're wrong if you think you've disappointed me at every turn, mom. All you've done is make me proud. You're not afraid to make mistakes and then to pick up and to keep going and keep trying new things, and I owe so much of who I am to you... To both of you. I... I used to idealize this perfect childhood with this perfect little house, and then... You guys gave me something so much better. You gave me something real. And were I to do it over again, I would not change a thing. And if you guys are even half the parents to your next kid that you were to me, he would be the luckiest kid in the whole world.

Gale: Thank you, honey.

Dawson: It's gonna be ok, mom.

[Scene: Pacey's living room. Joey and Pacey are sitting on the couch necking once again, when Pacey pushes away.]

Pacey: You know, I think we should probably slow this down a notch.

Pacey: What?

Joey: Let's turn it down a notch. I mean, if that's what you want, I respect that.

Pacey: Oh... Well... Thanks.

Joey: Perhaps you were hoping that if you turn the tables on me, I might get paranoid, 'cause I'm always the one that's stopping things, and now, suddenly, you're stopping things, so maybe I need to go further, maybe even, you know, pay a visit to the free clinic, stock up on goodies, and bring 'em back here, and then we'd have sex.

Pacey: Wait a minute. Did you actually go to the free clinic to stock up on goodies?

Joey: I can neither confirm nor deny such reports.

Pacey: All right, hold on. Uh, Jo... I really was-- I was just kinda kidding about the whole thing. All I wanted to do was to jump-start the conversation.

Joey: I'm actually really glad that I went. So it's... You know, it's fine.

Pacey: No, it's really not ok. I don't want to make you do anything that you're not ready to do.

Joey: I know. And, Pacey, I get it. Just as long as you realize that if you do turn into some typical hormone-filled, silly-ass boy and try to manipulate me again, I'm out the door.

Pacey: Jo, I'm sorry.

Joey: I know. You know, pace, just because we're not having sex yet, it... Well, there are certain things that we can do.

Pacey: What kinds of things?

Joey: [Whispering] I could kiss you.

Pacey: Hmm. Or... Perhaps I could just come over there and...

Joey: [Pacey starts tickling her.]No, no, Pacey. Pacey, no! Pacey, stop it! Stop it!

[Scene: The Capeside Soccer Field. It the end of the evening and Jack and Andie are cleaning up from the days event.]

Jack: What the hell was I thinking? What possessed me just to blurt it out like that?

Andie: Come on, jack, it's not like it's a big secret. Anyone can find out if they want to.

Jack: I know, I know. But it's naive to think that people aren't going to care, you know? It's naive to think that people aren't gonna be small-minded and bigoted and ignorant and that this whole thing isn't just gonna get worse from here on out. Maybe I should just quit.

Andie: Wh--ok, now that is ridiculous, jack, because you did the right thing. I mean, the alternative is not to tell people who you are, and who wants to live like that? And besides which, you are great with these kids. So what you need to do is stick with the coaching and just stop worrying about the parents and their stupid hang-ups, ok? Because it will blow over.

Jack: But I'm a good person, Andie. When people look at me, they see something awful. Do you know how that feels?

Andie: Give it time. It will blow over, I swear.

Jack: Nah, it never does.

Andie: It will.

Jack: Do you mind if I, um, finish up alone?

Andie: You sure?

Jack: Yeah.

Andie: Ok.

[Scene: Mr. Brooks house. Dawson is painting the porch when Mr. Brooks comes out to bother him some more.]

Mr. Brooks: Each time I step out onto this porch to watch you at work, Mr. Leery, I breathe a sigh of relief that I'm not paying you. This way, I can still hire a professional to paint over your mess.

Dawson: You know, Mr. Brooks, I actually think I'm doing a pretty good job.

Mr. Brooks: We all have our illusions. Ah, I see you've been hard at work adding to your collection. Ah, trite. A naked attempt to evoke sentiment. Why not just sh**t a photo of a puppy in garbage can, huh? Hmm.

[He stops at one of the pictures.]

Dawson: "Hmm"? That's the best scathing criticism you can muster?

Mr. Brooks: Sometimes honesty is scathing, Dawson. I can't help that. But this last one... Ah... This last one is actually not bad. It's the first picture that makes a connection with the subject, as if you're not only sh**ting her melancholy but your own. This is the first one I've seen with a bit of you in it. This one has potential. I don't see you painting, Mr. Leery.

[Door shuts]

[Dawson gets up and grabs his book of pictures and opens it to the picture he was talking about. It is a picture of Gretchen. The scene fades into Jack walking on the empty Soccer field at night with a dejected look on his face. Then into a scene with Joey washing the dishes when Bessie comes up from behind and takes the dish from her hand and begins drying it. They just look at each other and smile. Then the scene fades to Dawson in his Dark Room, developing pictures, and he takes one of Gretchen out of the solution and just looks at it. Then the scene fades into Gale sitting at the kitchen table looking at some pictures when Mitch comes up to join her. She is looking at some baby pictures of Dawson, and then the scene fades to black.]