04x15 - Four Stories

Episode transcripts for the TV show, "Dawson's Creek". Aired: January 1998 to May 2003.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

Four friends in a small coastal town help each other cope with adolescence.

04x15 - Four Stories

Post by bunniefuu »

Episode 415 - Four Stories

[Scene: Outside the Ski Resort. Jack and Jen are walking up to the bus talking to each other while Mr. Kasdan is taking role of the people getting on the bus.]

Jack: So we're, uh, we're ok with everything?

Jen: Totally and completely.

Jack: Awesome.

Jen: Heh. But, what if we had gone through with it? What--what if I hadn't put a stop to our ill-conceived fumblings? What--what if I had gotten pregnant, we had to drop out of school senior year to raise our illegitimate love child?

Jack: Well, uh, then there would come a day where we'd have to sit down and explain to our said love child that, uh, mommy and daddy can't have sex unless daddy's thinking about Ryan Philippe.

Jen: Hey, I mean, don't think I wouldn't be thinking about him, too.

[Jack and Jen put their bags in the bus and get ready to board the bus.]

Kasdan: Jennifer Lindley. Are there any other delinquent acts you care to commit before we embark on our journey home?

Jen: No, sir. No. So, uh, what's it gonna be? My punishment.

Kasdan: Punishment is the wrong word, miss Lindley. What I have in mind for you may just be the chicken soup your soul has been so obviously crying out for.

Jen: But, sir, I mean, they're only-- they're only like airplane—[Jack grabs her arm and pulls her onto the bus] what?!

[Drue comes walking up to the bus.]

Kasdan: Kudos are in order, Mr. Valentine. Your tardy arrival has now put us off schedule entirely. Just exactly what part of "we leave at 6:30 A.M. Sharp" were you not listening to?

Drue: That's great... Yeah. But, uh, before we continue this discussion, could we stop at a Starbucks please?

Kasdan: Get on the bus, punk. And where are Joey potter and Pacey Witter? Probably off somewhere sucking face.

Drue: Yeah, tell me about it.

Kasdan: Yes, and now I have to go look for them, which is not on the schedule.

[Drue looks to one of the windows and sees 2 people kissing on the bus.]

Drue: Mr. Kasdan...

Kasdan: Yes?

[Drue points to the 2 people.]

Drue: Looks like you were right.

Kasdan: [Groans]

Drue: it's disgusting, isn't it?

[They board the bus and the 2 people pull apart and we see that it isn't actually Joey and Pacey.]

[Scene: Joey wakes up wrapped in Pacey's arms and she rolls her head over to look at Pacey and he simply smiles at her and she return the smile. Scene fades to black.]

[Opening Credits]

“About Last Night”

[Scene: At the Ski Resort. Pacey and Joey are standing in front of some vending machines and Pacey hands Joey a dollar for the machine.]

Joey: I was thinking more along the lines of something that required silverware, pace.

Pacey: Hey, bus tickets cost money, woman, and you had me pay for that impromptu call to Gretchen, so how does coffee and crackers sound?

Joey: Lovely.

Pacey: So... You tell Bessie?

Joey: Tell Bessie what?

Pacey: Does the word "duh" mean anything to you? About last night.

Joey: What exactly was I supposed to say, pace? And if you say that I'm a woman now, I will projectile vomit on you.

Pacey: Ok, fine. What about Gretchen?

Joey: [Laughs] yeah. Uh, hey, Gretchen, sorry we missed the bus back. By the way, your brother deflowered me last night. Gotta go. I mean, do I really strike you as the type of person who enjoys discussing my boyfriend's sexual prowess with his siblings?

Pacey: Ok, point taken, but... Let me just pose this hypothetical. Let's say that you were the type of person that enjoyed discussing your boyfriend's sexual prowess. What do you think you might say?

Joey: About what? About the prowess?

Pacey: Yeah. About the prowess.

Joey: You know, just when I think you're the antithesis of the typical male, there you are, dragging your knuckles with the rest of the primates.

Pacey: Well, you should never underestimate a primate's desire to hear about his abilities in the sack. Pop tart?

[Scene: The Newsstand at the bus stop. Joey is reading a magazine when Pacey comes up to her holding his two hands in fists out in front of him.]

Pacey: Pick one.

[She picks his right hand, and he opens it and points to the other hand]

Pacey: Pick the other one.

[he opens his other hand and has some chocolate hearts in it.]

Pacey: I know it's not the most equal of exchanges. You know, virginity for chocolate hearts, but I thought I should get you something. Just to commemorate the event.

Joey: Wow, if I had known there were prizes involved, I would've asked for a car. I mean, nothing too expensive, just, you know, something to tool around in.

Pacey: How about the Witter Wagoneer?

Joey: The Witter Wagoneer? Do I look like some two-bit floozy to you?

Pacey: No, you don't.

Joey: No?

Pacey: No. To tell you the truth, I don't think you've ever looked more beautiful.

Joey: You're easy, 'cause I didn't even get a chance to shower this morning.

[She kisses him]

Pacey: Whoa, apparently you didn't get a chance to brush your teeth, either.

Joey: This from the "morning breath" monster himself.

Pacey: Oh, man, I could do this.

Joey: What?

Pacey: This-- the back and forth, the sweetness and the sarcasm. I could do this for the rest of my life, you know? With you as my partner in irreverence.

Joey: Well, have you ever stopped to think that maybe you're just the first of many, pace?

Pacey: Oh. Well, in that case, I guess I just have to be satisfied with being the Neil Armstrong of the bunch.

[Scene: A couch at the Ski Resort. Pacey and Joey are sitting on the couch and look over to see a young couple passionately kissing each other, and look back to each other and smile.]

Pacey: So, typically when couples engage in the sort of activity that we engaged in last night, there is some sort of morning-after discussion.

Joey: About what?

Pacey: Well, it's a bit like a post-game wrap-up.

Joey: I see. You want to know if you were any good.

Pacey: Well, I'd really rather know if it was good for you.

Joey: Of course. You being Pacey Witter, friend to women and all.

Pacey: Precisely.

Joey: It was very nice.

Pacey: Nice?

Joey: Yes.

Pacey: [Clears throat] just "nice," huh?

Joey: What's wrong with "nice?"

Pacey: There's nothing wrong with "nice." I mean, there's nothing wrong with "great," either. Hell, there's nothing particularly offensive with "mind-blowing" or "transcendent."

Joey: Sorry, pace, I left my thesaurus at home. I didn't know I was going to get yelled at for my vocabulary.

Pacey: I'm not too worried about your vocabulary.

Joey: You know, maybe "nice" means everything to me, Pacey. Maybe "nice" is all a girl can manage the morning after her first time, because, as you know, it's not something I've ever experienced before. So I can't really sit here and honestly say that something is "great" or "mind-blowing" or "transcendent" if I have nothing to compare it to.

Pacey: Because there are certain... Benchmarks in the sexual experience.

Joey: What do you mean?

Pacey: There are certain things that happen or don't happen over the course of the evening that—

Joey: Are you asking me if I—

Pacey: Yes!

Joey: Can we please not talk about that?

Pacey: Why?

Joey: Because it's not important.

Pacey: Ok, it might not be important to you, but it's really important to me.

Joey: This isn't all about you, you know. You think you're feeling insecure?! Do you have any idea what it's like to be me this morning?

Pacey: I don't understand.

Joey: Of course you don't.

Pacey: Well, maybe you'd like to enlighten me, then.

Joey: Did you ever stop and think that maybe I might be wondering how I measure up? How I fit into the picture that includes not only one but 2 prior sexual relationships, both of which meant a great deal to you?

Pacey: I didn't even know girls thought like that.

Joey: Does the word "duh" mean anything?

Pacey: Jo, you were great.

Joey: Great?

Pacey: Yes, great. Which is a hell of a lot better than "nice," let me tell you.

Joey: And completely beside the point.

Pacey: Jo, you were great. You were fantastic. You were every glowing adjective under the sun. I want to run out and tell the entire world what I did last night and who I did it with.

Joey: You're not really planning on doing that, are you?

Pacey: Well, no, but—

Joey: Good.

Pacey: Why is that good?

Joey: Because it's private, and I really want to keep it that way. I really don't want the whole world to know about our sex life.

Pacey: Mmm. I think I get it. By "the whole world," what you really mean is Dawson.

Joey: Why does it have to be about that? Why can't it just be the fact that I don't want to hurt him any more than I already have?

Pacey: I don't want to hurt him, either. Ok? I don't. But I do want to be able to have sex with my girlfriend, whom I adore, without having to worry about the soap operatic repercussions of him finding out. Let me ask you one question, Jo. What would you say to him? You know, if he were here right now and he asked you, what would you tell him?

Joey: Well, I would have to tell him the truth.

Pacey: And you'd do that?

Joey: Yes. Absolutely.

[There is a big pause]

Pacey: Wanna know something funny? You haven't touched me.

Joey: What?

Pacey: You haven't touched me all morning. And here I was thinking that sex brought people closer together.

[Joey gets up and leaves, as the couple who were kissing watch her go and then look back and give Pacey a dirty look.]

[Scene: Outside the Ski Resort. Joey is sitting on the deck with tears in her eyes when Pacey comes out and sits down next to her.]

Joey: You wanna know why it was so nice, Pacey? You probably don't even remember, but... There was this thing. There you were, above me, and you--you brushed my hair over my forehead... And it felt really nice. Made me feel safe. Like no matter what, you were gonna be there and you were gonna protect me. Years from now, when I look back, I'm really not gonna remember the clumsy positioning or the morning-after awkwardness or whether or not the experience itself met the textbook definition of great sex. I'm gonna remember how sweet you were. How you took me to this brand new place. Pace, I'm glad I had sex. And I'm really glad that I had sex with you. But now, I really just kinda wanna go home. So we can do it again.

[Commercial Break]

“The Big Picture”

[Scene: Mr. Brooks' house. Dawson and Gretchen pull up the to house in Gretchen's car, while Dawson is driving. Gretchen looks over to Dawson and gives him a kiss.]

Gretchen: It's gonna get better. I promise. So, what does grams want, anyway?

Dawson: I don't know. She told me to meet her here after the funeral. She said she'd be in the garage.

[They get out of the car and go into the garage to find Grams there holding a g*n.]

Grams: Heh. Prop from one of Arthur's pictures. Maybe I could use this to keep my granddaughter in line.

Dawson: I had no idea he kept all this stuff.

Grams: Oh, he collected all this over the years. Sought it out, piece by piece. You know, no matter what he might have said, Arthur was fiercely proud of what he accomplished in his career. It was a lovely service, wasn't it?

Dawson: Yeah, quite a turn-out, too.

Gretchen: It was a lovely service, Mrs. Ryan. How can we help?

Grams: Arthur mentioned he didn't want this stuff just collecting dust. I thought we might donate it somewhere. If you have any suggestions, Dawson...

Dawson: What's the point? Nobody knows he existed.

Grams: Well, maybe there's something here you would like, something to remember him by.

[Dawson storms out of the garage and Gretchen is about to follow after him, when Grams stops her.]

Grams: No, l-let me.

[Scene: Outside the Garage. Grams comes out to join Dawson who is just looking out into the horizon.]

Grams: I'm sorry, Dawson. I know this can't be easy for you.

Dawson: Oh, it's not, but that doesn't give me any right to be rude. I'm sorry. I apologize.

Grams: Oh, there's no need. Everyone deals with death in his own way. Some cry, some pray, some get angry at the world. There is no right or wrong.

Dawson: Why would you want to be here today? It's completely morbid. Why would anybody want to subject themselves to this?

Grams: Dawson, you and I have lost a very dear friend, and the pain of that loss isn't going to just disappear any time soon. It will pass, slowly, at its own pace, and there's precious little you or I can do about it. You know, if there's anything I've learned at my somewhat advanced age, it's the importance of closure in the grieving process.

Dawson: I don't think it's the lack of closure that's bothering me.

Grams: Hmm...What is it, then?

Dawson: I don't know.

Grams: Maybe you should spend some time with him, with his space, with his things... Find a way to say good-bye. Maybe that will help you figure things out.

[Grams leaves and Dawson goes back towards the garage.]

[Scene: Inside the Garage. Gretchen is going through a box and pulls out a script inside and waves over to Dawson to join her.]

Gretchen: Look what I found.

Dawson: Delia and George by Arthur brooks? This looks like a screenplay. No, it's not. It's a play, actually. It says 1949. He was my age when he wrote this.

[She looks over his shoulder and reads from the script.]

Gretchen: "I'm hopping mad at you, George." Come on. It'll be fun.

Dawson: "Whatever for, dear?"

Gretchen: "Because I find you to be a rather irritating fellow."

Dawson: "Well, is there anything I can do to make it better?"

Gretchen: "You might go jump in that lake over there."

Dawson: "But that would ruin my suit."

Gretchen: "Which would be a fitting punishment."

Dawson: "For loving a skirt like you?"

Gretchen: "Funny, I thought I was a dame."

Dawson: "No, my dear, you're a skirt. Most definitely a skirt."

[Gretchen places her hands on either side of Dawson's face and plants a huge kiss on him.]

Gretchen: Sorry. It was in the script.

Dawson: Damn. I thought you were improvising.

Gretchen: That was sweet. Brooks was sweet.

Dawson: Yeah. Yeah, he was. Once upon a time, before he gave up. 5 people showed up at his funeral. 5--you, me, my parents, and grams, which means that 3 of the people barely knew him. I mean, just think if I hadn't crashed his boat, nobody would have shown up. I'm sorry, I find that...Pathetic.

Gretchen: I don't think Mr. Brooks needs your pity, Dawson. I mean, this is a guy who saw his wildest dreams come true. That's a hell of a lot more than most of us get.

Dawson: Yeah, and this what he has to show for it?

Gretchen: What do you mean?

Dawson: Look around you. This is it. This--this--I mean, this is an entire life. It all comes down to this. Stuff. Stuff! A garage full of stuff.

Gretchen: Now you're starting to sound like him.

Dawson: Yeah, which is exactly what scares me, because at some point he just decided it was easier to stop caring. And he did, and by the time he woke up, it was too late. What's to prevent any of us from ending up like that?

Gretchen: That's not you, Dawson. That would never be you.

Dawson: You don't know that. I mean, h-how can you be sure? I mean, I lost the girl just like he did.

Gretchen: Yeah, and you picked yourself up, you dusted yourself off, and you took a chance. Look, so what if he screwed up, you know? So what if he was a coward for more years than he was a hero? In the end, he got it right. Do you know when I realized that my feelings for you were more than platonic? It was that stupid movie.

Dawson: What movie?

Gretchen: The one we watched in your room that night.

Dawson: Turn away, my sweet.

Gretchen: Watching you watch that movie, seeing you come alive in a way I've never seen you before. I mean, in that moment I just knew I wanted to be a part of your life in this bigger and better way. And in some weird way, Dawson, Mr. Brooks brought us together.

[Dawson just stares at her for a minute.]

Dawson: I like you.

Gretchen: Oh, god. Why?

Dawson: Because you're smart and you're funny and you always know what to say to make me feel better. You're beautiful. You're beautiful in a way that makes me remember those old-time movie stars. You know, like the ones in brooks' movies? You know, all style and grace. Plus, you smell good.

Gretchen: I do?

Dawson: Yeah, not like in a perfumey way, but in a really "pretty girl" kind of way.

Gretchen: You have no idea what you're doing, do you?

Dawson: No...

Gretchen: Good. Keep it that way. 'Cause the second you become aware of just how charming you are, you're gonna use your powers for evil.

Dawson: Gretchen, would you-- would you mind terribly—

Gretchen: you wanna be alone.

Dawson: How'd you know?

Gretchen: 'Cause I'm an awesome girlfriend.

Dawson: Make that an awesome skirt.

Gretchen: I like that.

[She gives him a kiss]

Gretchen: I'll be outside.

Dawson: Ok.

Gretchen: Just do me a favor.

Dawson: What?

Gretchen: When you remember brooks, remember that great big thumping heart of his. Remember how sweet he was to grams. Remember how, when he saw us under the mistletoe, he told you to "quit flirting and kiss her already." Remember that guy, Dawson.

[Gretchen leaves, and Dawson begins to go through some of the stuff, heading to the upstairs of the garage and finds a box of poster. He pulls one of the posters out and opens it to see it is a movie poster for Turn Away, My Sweet. He is looking fondly at it when a voice startles him. ]

Man: Dawson? Dawson leery?

[Dawson looks down to see a man there holding a brief case.]

Dawson: Uh, can I help you?

Man: Oh, I'm sorry to bother you, but the young lady outside told me I could find you in here. I'm Patrick Felker. I'm handling the Arthur brooks estate.

Dawson: Oh. Uh... Nice to meet you.

Man: My pleasure. Um, I was hoping that you'd come by my office this afternoon.

Dawson: What for?

Man: It's regarding Mr. Brooks' will.

Dawson: His will? What does that have to do with me?

Man: Well, I'll tell you what. Why don't you drop by and we'll talk.

Man: So, who was this guy, anyway?

Dawson: What do you mean?

Man: I don't know, um... Was he some kind of movie star or something?

Dawson: No, he was a, uh...He was a pain in the ass. He was a grumpy, misanthropic, smarter-than-thou pain in the ass. Barely a kind word for anybody who ever crossed his path. But, uh, he was A... He was a friend of mine, and I'm gonna miss him.

Man: Yeah, well... This afternoon, then.

[Commercial Break]
“Excess Baggage”

[Scene: A profession office building. Jen walks into the building and gets inside and walks up to a closed door. She sees a buzzer on the shelf next to the door and buzzes it, when there is no answer she buzzes it again and again. Suddenly the door opens and bumps into her.]

Jen: Oh! Ooh. Hi.

Tom: Jennifer?

Jen: Yes. Jen.

Tom: Tom frost. Nice to meet you.

Jen: Oh. Yeah.

Tom: I apologize for the mess.

[The place is spotless]

Jen: Yeah, you might want to work on it.

Tom: Have a seat. [Jen looks around at all the chairs and simply shrugs her shoulders.] I take it you've never been in therapy.

Jen: Mm-hmm, you take it right. Which is actually quite surprising, given my sordid history and all, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. [Jen goes to sit down but suddenly jumps up.] Oh, this is weird. Ha ha ha.

[She begins pacing around the room.]

Jen: [Sighs]

Tom: so how are you today?

Jen: Fine. Anything else you'd like to know?

Tom: Why don't we talk about why you're here?

Jen: Ha! Do we have to?

Tom: Why do you think you need to be here?

Jen: Actually I don't think I need to be here.

Tom: Then why are you?

Jen: Come on. I'm sure that they told you.

Tom: Well, from what I understand, there have been some disciplinary issues.

Jen: Mmm. All right. See, I was on this ski trip, and a teacher caught me throwing away empty liquor bottles.

Tom: So you were drinking?

Jen: Yeah. Is that bad?

Tom: Depends why you were doing it.

Jen: See, here's the thing. I had just been through this really big ordeal with my best friend jack. We'd almost slept together, but I had the presence of mind to put the kibosh on it, which is good, 'cause he's a h*m*-- he's a h*m*, which is... Ha ha ha. That's not healthy-- not the homsex-- not him being a h*m*, but sleeping with a h*m*-- I keep saying h*m*. I sound like my grandmother. Gay. Gay. Gay. You could be gay. Are you gay?

Tom: Is that important to you?

Jen: Ha. Just making conversation.

Tom: Back to the drinking. Why do you think you drink?

Jen: Well, I don't usually.

Tom: But you do sometimes?

Jen: Yeah, sure, sometimes. Not like I'm an alcoholic.

Tom: But you like to drink?

Jen: Yeah, who doesn't? [Tom starts to take a note down.] Ok, what are you writing?

Tom: I'm taking notes.

Jen: Oh. Do I get a copy?

Tom: No.

Jen: So how long do these things go for?

Tom: 50 minutes.

Jen: 50 minutes, give or take?

Tom: No, 50 minutes precisely.

Jen: What happens if we dig up some real juicy stuff?

Tom: That's what next week is for.

Jen: Excuse me, but that seems kind of cold. I wonder what it is you do with those extra 10 minutes.

Tom: I take a break, rest up for the next patient.

Jen: Wait a minute. You rest? Well, excuse me, but you don't seem to be exerting yourself that much. Where'd you go to school?

Tom: Why is that important to you?

Jen: Well, it's not. Really, actually, it's not really important to me at all. I'm just curious. High school senior. College on the brain. You don't want to answer... It's fine with me. [She looks over and sees his diploma on the wall.] Ooh, Boston! You know, I think that's kind of crooked. Why don't I fix it for you? I don't want you breakin' out in no rash.

[She goes to adjust the picture and it begins to fall.]

Jen: Oh, my god! Oh, sh**t! [Crash] oh, my god, I'm so sorry.

Tom: It's ok. It's ok, Jennifer. I'll take care of it later. Please, leave it.

Jen: Really, I really apologize.

Tom: Leave it.

[He stops Jen from cleaning up the mess.]

Jen: You know, you're-- you're a lot younger than I thought you would be. How--how old are you? Ugh! I know. Why is it important to me? Forget I asked.

Tom: Why don't we talk about your parents?

Jen: Oh, yeah, um... Well, I was a bit of a wild child, so my parents, they shipped me off to live with my grandmother.

Tom: How's that been for you?

Jen: Fine. Fine, but crappy. Ha ha ha. But I'm over it, honestly. I've dealt with this stuff, and so my parents are less than perfect. What am I going to do? I've got my grandmother and my friends. They help me through all the rough spots. Hmm. You know what? I'm going to be perfectly honest with you. I don't think that I'm the kind of person that benefits from therapy. I feel as though I'm relatively self-aware.

Tom: Yes, well, teenagers often confuse knowledge with wisdom.

Jen: Ha. Well, what's that supposed to mean?

Tom: What do you think it means?

Jen: I think it means that you think I'm stupid.

Tom: Is that what you heard me say?

Jen: Yeah, pretty much.

Tom: Well, I'm sorry if you feel like I've offended you.

Jen: Whatever.

[Tom looks from his note pad up to the clock and back down again.]

Jen: Busted.

Tom: Excuse me?

Jen: I just saw you look at the clock. Am I boring you?

Tom: Of course not.

Jen: Oh, 'cause if I'm boring you, you should really let me know. [Sighs] you know what? This is not going to work. This is not going to work out.

Tom: What do you mean?

Jen: I mean that we're not a very good match for each other. You're not a very warm person.

Tom: Is that the kind of relationship you expect from your therapist?

Jen: Well, I don't know if you've noticed or not, but what we're trying to do here is based around talking, and--and you're not very easy to talk to.

Tom: Well, perhaps that's something we need to work on.

Jen: No, perhaps that's something that you should work on.

Tom: Perhaps.

Jen: Uh--well--wow! A victory!

Tom: Is that important to you? To win?

Jen: I knew that was coming.

Tom: You didn't answer my question.

Jen: Well, because there's just another, more irritating one looming on the horizon.

[Tom goes over to his desk and sits down.]

Tom: You should go.

Jen: And I'd like to, but I can't.

Tom: Of course, you can. I'll tell your school that you fulfilled the requirement.

Jen: Really? You're-- you're going to do that?

Tom: Absolutely.

Jen: All right then.

[She grabs her bag and coat.]

Tom: It was good to meet you, Jennifer.

Jen: Nice meeting you, too.

[She goes and opens the door to leave, and stops before going through the door.]

Jen: Ok, I'm just going to ask. Ha. Am I totally screwed up?

Tom: It's probably too early for me to guess.

Jen: Take care.

Tom: But were I to hazard one, I'd say that the smart, sarcastic exterior masks a scared, lonely young woman who's relationship with her parents has scarred her in ways she hasn't even begun to process. She has a hard time trusting people-- men, especially, and who can blame her? When parental ties are severed early on like that, it can send a young person searching for love and acceptance in a variety of destructive ways, which may explain your relationship with dr*gs, alcohol, and a best friend whose sexuality prevents him from ever fully returning your affections. But all that is really just dime store psychobabble. Truth is, we don't really know why you're here yet. But I would love to help you find out.

[She closes the door again and comes back into the room.]

Jen: You got me for the hour. I'm not promising anything. [She sits down in the chair.] And don't think I didn't catch that whole none-too-subtle reverse psychology thing you just pulled.

Tom: Why don't we start with your friends?

Jen: Ok. Friends. Um... Well, I guess it really just started about 2 years ago. Um, it was the day before my first day of my sophomore year, and I'd just moved from New York City and, um... I don't know, I got out of the cabin and there they were. They were right in the middle of making this movie. This costume had things on it and Dawson, I had the biggest crush on the guy, like...

[Commercial Break]

“Seems Like Old Times”

[Scene: Outside the movie house. Dawson is waiting to get into the movie, when Joey comes walking by.]

Joey: Dawson?

Dawson: Joey.

Joey: What are you doing here?

Dawson: Uh, I just kind of felt like getting lost in a crowd, I guess. What about you?

Joey: I guess I had the same impulse. Look, I'm so sorry about everything.

Dawson: Yeah, thanks. These past few days have sucked in ways I didn't know were possible. But, hey, how was the ski trip?

Joey: Oh, uh, you know, it was fine.

Dawson: Did I miss anything exciting?

Joey: Uh... Jen bruised her foot.

Dawson: Ah, well, as brooks was fond of saying, "I'll alert the media." You and Pacey have fun?

Joey: Yeah. Like I said, you know, everything was fine.

Dawson: Good.

Joey: Mm-hmm.

Dawson: Good. Um... Shall we?

Joey: Dawson?

Dawson: Yeah? What?

Joey: Never mind.

Dawson: No. What were you going to say?

Joey: Would you rather maybe go someplace and talk?

Dawson: Yeah. I would like that.

Joey: Me, too.

[Scene: At a local diner. Joey and Dawson are sitting across from each other at one of the booths talking.]

Dawson: Can I tell you something? It's not exactly a secret, but I haven't told anybody yet.

Joey: Of course.

Dawson: Mr. Brooks put me in his will.

Joey: Really?

Dawson: Mm-hmm.

Joey: Does that mean—

Dawson: That he left me money? Yeah.

Joey: You're kidding me.

Dawson: I could not be kidding you less.

Joey: What are you gonna do with it?

Dawson: Apparently, I have to do something great with it. The proviso in his will reads, and I quote, "Mr. Leery, this is the money "with which one achieves greatness, "so don't go blowing it on women and booze. "But should that be your choice, make sure it's great women and great booze."

Joey: Well, no pressure there.

Dawson: I guess I could... Pay my entire college tuition.

Joey: You could make a movie.

Dawson: Yeah, I could. Wow. It feels weird thinking about how I'd spend it, though. It'd be one thing if I'd won the lottery. This is...

Joey: I understand. [Dawson just is staring at her smiling.] What?

Dawson: You seem different.

Joey: I do?

Dawson: Yeah. You look different, too. Is it your hair or something?

Joey: No.

Dawson: No. It's not bad different. It's good different. It's just...I don't know.

[Joey just smiles awkwardly and turns to look out the window for a second.]

Joey: You wanna get out of here?

Dawson: Sure.

[Scene: The swing sets where Dawson and Joey had their second kiss. Joey and Dawson are sitting in the swings talking to each other.]

Joey: The last time we were here...

Dawson: Was a very different time.

Joey: And to think we thought things were complicated then.

Dawson: [Laughs] Oh, boy. Little did we know, huh?

Joey: Dawson, I'm really sorry.

Dawson: Jo, it's ok. I've... I've dealt with it from every conceivable angle.

Joey: No. Not about that. Um... I should've been there for you this weekend.

Dawson: It's ok. Please, don't worry about it. Really.

Joey: Dawson. You've been in hell the last 3 days, and I should have been there giving you everything that you've given me. Where was I? It's just, uh... I've made some... Some big choices and some big decisions, and sometimes I feel like I'm gonna wake up one day and realize that all there ever really was was friendship. And if I wasn't any good at that, then...Where does that leave me?

Dawson: Jo, you're not a bad friend. I don't get to say it much anymore, but... You're my best friend. You always were. No matter where you are, no matter where your life may take you, and no matter who you're with...

Joey: You'll always have a piece of my heart.

Dawson: Something like that.

Joey: Yeah. Doesn't have to be a huge piece.

Dawson: No, no, no, no. Not a huge piece. Just enough. You know, tiny piece.

[Scene: Several scenes of Joey and Dawson walking with each other sharing some fun moments together. They walk around a corner to run into a lady walking several dogs on leashes and one them come loose.]

Dawson: Oh. You lost one of your dogs. Hold on. Excuse me. Excuse me. Miss.

[Joey picks up the dog and brings it to the lady.]

Dawson: Wasn't that funny?

[They come walking out of a coffee house, and Dawson takes a drink of his coffee and pulls it from his face.]

Dawson: Joey, this is your coffee. More sugar, with a little bit of coffee mixed in.

[Back to the movie house. It is closing up for the night and the light go out. Dawson turns back to Joey.]

Dawson: Well, I, uh... I guess this is good night. It may sound silly, but... Thank you for a lovely night.

Joey: Yeah. We'll have to do it again sometime.

Dawson: Yeah.

Joey: Good night.

Dawson: Good night, Jo.

Joey: Dawson—

Dawson: Joey—you first.

Joey: No. You first.

Dawson: [Sighs] did something happen on the ski trip?

Joey: What do you mean?

Dawson: Well, I have this feeling-- kind of unshakable feeling-- that, uh, something happened. It's just a feeling. And you don't have to answer me if you don't want to, but...

Joey: What are you asking me?

Dawson: I'm asking you if you slept with Pacey.

Joey: It's kind of personal, don't you think?

Dawson: I think it's really personal.

Joey: I mean, what if... What if I was to stand here and ask you if you've slept with Gretchen.

Dawson: The answer would be no. But you're right. It's very personal and it's none of my business and I apologize. I'm sorry. Ok. I, uh... You know, Jo, I guess I just-- I want you to know that I'm not holding you to anything that we might have said in the past. Ok? I mean... I want you to live your life and be happy and enjoy everything that goes along with that. And--and... I know that sometimes you make a promise and you mean it at the time, but then life gets in the way and it makes it impossible to keep.

Joey: A couple of years ago, if someone were to tell me that we'd be standing here having this conversation, I would have referred them to the nearest asylum. But things aren't exactly turning out the way that I necessarily thought they would. A couple of years ago, if you would've asked me who the first person I was going to have sex with was, I would've answered unequivocally... Dawson leery, that's who. And the possibility of sleeping with anybody else never even occurred to me. Especially not Pacey.

Dawson: So what are you saying, Jo?

Joey: No. I have not slept with Pacey.

Dawson: You-- oh. Uh... Oh. I'm sorry. That was a sigh of relief you just heard. I... Um...

Joey: Ah, well, good night.

Dawson: Good night, Jo.

[She walks away and Dawson watches her go with a relieved look on his face.]