2x13 - Exit Wounds

All episode transcripts for the TV show "Torchwood". Aired 22nd October, 2006 to 15th September, 2011.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

"Torchwood" follows the exploits of the members of the Cardiff-based, fictional Torchwood Institute, a secret organization founded by the British Crown, which deals mainly with incidents involving extraterrestrials.

2x13 - Exit Wounds

Post by bunniefuu »

Opening credits

JACK (voiceover) : Torchwood. Outside the Government, beyond the police. Fighting for the future on behalf of the human race. The 21st century is when everything changes... And Torchwood is ready.

INT DAY Building gone boom

Flashback to last week, blue tinted.

JACK : The expl*sive devices...

OWEN : Snap !

Boom.

GWEN : Jack, who's done this ?

JOHN : Captain John Hart.

GWEN : Jack, what does he want ?

JOHN : Say hi to the family.

JACK : No, it can't be.

JOHN : Been a while since you've seen your brother, eh, Jack ?

JACK : Gray ?!

EXT DAY Outside the building

Actually they went outside in the flashback, but we pick up where we left off, outside the exploded building. The team, plus Rhys, are heading for building 3 and Rhys' car. Tosh is supported by Owen. Tosh and Ianto are looking at the blue bleepy boxes of info.

OWEN : Bastard John's taken our SUV.

IANTO : Looks like He's driven it back to Torchwood.

TOSH : I'm getting readings of rift activity all over the city. Major rift flares at St Helen's Hospital, the Police Headquarters and the Central IT Server Station.

Phone rings. Gwen gets her mobile out and checks name before answering.

GWEN : Hey, Andy ?

ANDY (walking down stairs in the police station, blood on the walls behind him) : Gwen, you've gotta get here right now ! I'm serious, we need you.

GWEN : Ok, I'm on my way, all right ? This is him, isn't it ? This Captain John, or whatever he likes to call himself.

JACK : Rhys, drop Owen at the hospital. Tosh, Ianto cover the central server building. Gwen, the police station. Then take me to Torchwood.

RHYS : You think we're all gonna fit in here ?

JACK : Yeah, we're gonna have to.

TOSH : Jack, These are traps.

JACK : So be careful. You know what he's capable of.

GWEN : What about you ?

JACK : I'm gonna go reason with him !

OWEN : He just tried to k*ll us.

JACK : I was the only one who could ever control him. That's why the Time Agency partnered us.

RHYS : Did you just say Time Agency ? Don't tell me that's based in Cardiff too ?!

Jack does a sort of eyeroll shrug, and everyone climbs in the car. Rhys is driving. Apparently the Law of Owner Drives overrules the thing where some of the others might have extra training to go real fast. Or, possibly they're tooling around at those speeds with no training. They drive off and we get some voiceover.

OWEN : Why's he doing this Jack ? What does he want ?

JACK : That's what I'm going to go ask.

EXT DAY Cardiff bay from above

New angles I think, lovely view of the fountain and some twirly zoom down, then cut to

INT HUB, main area

Well, starts outside the cog door. Jack walks into sh*t, takes a deep breath, waits as the door rolls open. Clattering and banging.

MUSIC : "I Lost My Heart To A Starship Trooper", by Sarah Brightman.

JOHN (is standing on the upper level waving a scarf above his head, grinning manically) : Come on ! Sing along ! It's our song !

JACK (the look on his face is priceless and entire sentences on it's own) : We don't have a song. And if we did have a song, it wouldn't be this song.

JOHN (scarf droop, pouty face) : You're no fun !

Raises his hand and flips open his wrist band. We get our first glimpse of the ring he's wearing. Bleeps, and the music stops.

JACK : Thank you.

JOHN : I've been here quite a while, what kept you ?

Starts down the spiral stairs.

JACK : We all survived. You know, if you're gonna set an expl*si*n, you need to be more efficient.

JOHN : Oh, them, they were just prototypes, had to test out a theory. How are they all, the little team ?

JACK : What do you want ?

JOHN : I want you to know that I love you.

JACK : Funny way of showing it.

JOHN : No, seriously. You have to understand. (Turns away, face in close up). I really do love you. (Swings around, machine g*ns in each hand, and sh**t the hell out of Jack. Jack falls, off the walkway, into the wet. John walks over to look down at him). Because this... is gonna get nasty.

Opening credits

EXT DAY Cardiff from above

Cardiff City Police HQ. 5.27pm.

INT DAY Police station

Police coming down the stairs, a corpse on the steps, blood everywhere. Two more in the hall. SOCO examining them, taking photos.

GWEN : Andy !

ANDY : They just appeared out of nowhere, across the whole building. They weren't human, least not like any human I've ever seen. The whole station's in shock. Four most senior officers, m*rder*d. Everyone's running round like headless chickens. Woah, woah, woah. Rhys, what you doing here ? This is a crime scene, and a confidential crime scene at that. If it gets out what happened here, there'll be a citywide panic.

GWEN : Rhys isn't gonna go blabbing.

RHYS : I'm keeping more secrets than you'd ever believe.

ANDY : Like what ?

RHYS : Like a Time Agency. Based in Cardiff !

GWEN : Oh, it's not based in Cardiff.

ANDY : Brilliant secret. I ask, you tell, well done.

INT DAY Police cells

Gwen looks through a peephole. Inside, Weevils growl and snarl. There's many in the one cell, bouncing off the walls. One snarls right in Gwen's face.

RHYS : Bloody hell. What are they ?

GWEN : Weevils, they live in the sewers.

RHYS : Tell me you're joking.

GWEN : Don't mind if I subdue them, do you ?

Pulls a canister of Weevil spray.

ANDY : Be my guest.

GWEN (pulls the top off, tosses it through the hatch like a gas grenade. It hisses and spews smoke). Okay. (Checks peephole again). They k*lled the four most senior officers.

ANDY : Almost like it was targeted.

EXT DAY Cardiff from above, stadium and big building with a round thing on top

Team on comms.

GWEN : Tosh, report where you are.

TOSH : Just entering the Central Server. No sign of rift activity yet.

Central Server Building. 5.36pm.

INT Central Server Building

Stacks of computers and normal office lighting, but only Tosh and Ianto wandering around.

TOSH : This building houses servers for the m*llitary, police, NHS, even looks after the server systems for the nuclear station at Turnmill.

IANTO : What problem did they report ?

TOSH : Ghosts in these server stacks.

IANTO : How's the arm ?

TOSH : Owen gave me industrial strength painkillers, seems to be doing the trick.

Ghostly howl.

TOSH : Ianto.

IANTO (turns to look. There's three dudes in monks robes carrying scythes) : Huh.

SPOOKY VOICE : Devils ! Blasphemers ! Pray to your heathen God. While in the Lord's name, we cast you out !

Tosh and Ianto look at each other, look at advancing reapers, pull g*ns, fire g*ns, watch the bad guys fall down dead.

IANTO : There we are then.

TOSH : Sorted.

EXT DAY Cardiff from above, the Hospital

Team on comms.

GWEN : Owen, do you have anything to report ?

OWEN : We've got some activity in the basement.

St Helen's Hospital. 5.39pm.

INT Hospital Basement

Owen and doctorAngela Connolly.

CONOLLY : Coming back from a f*g break, saw the door open and there it is ! Chewing through the cables. So I locked it in.

Someone taps fingers on the door. From inside there's metallic rattling. Then scary teethy thing.

CONOLLY : What the hell is it ?

OWEN : Short answer ? It's an alien.

CONOLLY : Alien ?!

OWEN : Yeah. It's called a Hoix. The only profile we have is that it lives to eat, doesn't matter what. Caught one in Barry last year in a kebab shop, it went through seven doner sticks in 20 minutes. Now, have you got the keys ?

CONOLLY : What's that ?

OWEN : All species sedative. Now, food. You got anything it can eat ?

CONOLLY : Only these.

Holds up cigarettes.

OWEN (takes them) : Right, perfect ! Wish me luck.

Through the door, into a dark room.

OWEN : Hoixie, where are you ? Come on, porkie. Come out, come out, wherever you are.

Creature snarls, visible in the far distance, it comes closer as Owen tosses it cigarettes.

OWEN : There you are. Look what I've got. They're actually very tasty. Get a load of one of these. That's it, good boy, come to me. Come on, that's it, try one of these. (Stabs it in the back of the neck with the sedative). You really are quite stupid, aren't you ?

EXT DAY Cardiff from above, the fountain

Torchwood Hub. 6.03pm.

INT HUB, main area

Jack is chained up by his wrists, hanging on a wall in the Hub. John's been redecorating then. Metal shackles, chains, feet hanging loose, arms stretched in a Y above his head. Jack wakes with the usual gasp but panics more. There's screaming and thrashing around a bit and pulling on chains. John looks on with mild interest. Jack looks way upset. And also wet. John comes down the stairs from the desk area.

JOHN : Comms and weapons have been removed, in case you're wondering, so no chance of rescue.

JACK : This is a little extreme, don't you think ?

JOHN : Oh, what, suddenly you're anti bondage ?

John grabs him somewhere personal. Jack growls, not amused.

JACK : Why are you here ?

JOHN : Well, see... Now you're interested in me. It's always the same, nobody cares until you tie them up. Number of reasons, actually. First of all, you were very rude to me.

Goes back to working on computers.

JACK : What ?!

JOHN : Very rude indeed. In front of people who barely knew me. You belittled me. Can't let that go.

JACK : You're serious ?

JOHN : Second : you have all of time. Eternity, essentially. And you still refused to spend time with me. After all we've been through together, after all I've done for you.

JACK : Where's Gray ? What've you done with my brother ?

Pause of significant staring.

JOHN : You don't realise. Actions, ramifications, ripples in the pond. It's beyond my control.

JACK : Beyond your control ? Please !

JOHN : It is. You need to understand that. So, localise the rift storms, a few short sharp shocks...

JACK : Don't touch those controls !

JOHN : Oi, I'm working here !

Taps control on his wrist.

Jack cries out as buzzy noises and little lights indicate his wrist band has been turned into a t*rture device.

JOHN : If you don't want that again, keep quiet.

JACK : No.

JOHN: So, I think we're ready to find a vantage point. Bit more power.

Plugs a cable into a different hole on the rift manipulator, and the column starts moving.

JACK : Hey !

JOHN : And we're all set.

JACK : Whatever you're planning, we're gonna stop you.

JOHN : Oh. Ok. (Comes around to stand in front of the computers). Go on, then. Stop me. I hope you can, really. (Jack struggles, helpless). No ? All right, let's go get ourselves a good view.

EXT NIGHT Cardiff streets from above

City Centre. 6.28pm.

EXT NIGHT Castle

John drags Jack up behind a wall.

JACK : What the hell are we doing here ?

JOHN : This is a good view.

JACK (tries to go for him, then cries out again, zapped again.

JOHN : I told you, no struggling.

JACK : I can make things right with you.

JOHN : You don't understand. You can't ever make this right. (Bleeps his wristband). Attention... Torchwood employees ! (sh*ts of each of them in their separate locations). Evening all ! Now, stop what you're doing.

GWEN : Jack, what's going on, are you OK ?

JOHN : Jack can't come to the comms right now. But if you leave a message, I'll be sure and pass it along.

GWEN : What've you done to him ?

JOHN : No, no, wrong question. You should be asking, what am I about to do to you ?

sh*ts of each of them thinking about it... except Owen's on the roof already, which is a blink and you'll miss it continuity error.

IANTO : Put Jack on right now !

JOHN : Eye Candy ! That was so masterful, so bossy, so basically powerless. (Ianto eyeroll). Get up to the roofs of your buildings. Quickly now, spit spot.

Ianto goes.

OWEN : Why ?

Runs out the basement door, into corridor, past doctor.

CONOLLY : Owen !

JOHN : 'Cos if you don't, you'll miss all the fun. Hold on a minute, do I mean fun or do I mean carnage ? I get them confused. Are you running yet ? No dawdling now !

In the police station Gwen legs it.

RHYS : Gwen !

ANDY : Where's she going ?!

Back on the roof John gets a blinky box out.

JACK : What're you doing ?

JOHN : I'm sorry.

John talks over sh*ts of everyone getting up to their separate roofs to look over the darkened city. Rhys and Andy follow Gwen, Owen is on the roof, Ianto and Tosh too. Jack gets up to look.

JOHN : Now...Cardiff ! Isn't it pretty ? Doesn't it twinkle so ? Take a good look. Remember this... because it all goes so quick.

Somewhere between 9 and 12 explosions, some close together, some moments apart. Huge great kabooms. All over Cardiff, distant fires and explosions, some of them close enough to rock Team Torchwood. Ianto falls.

GWEN : Oh, my God...

ANDY : Gwen ?

GWEN : Oh, God...

Sirens wail, alarms sound, and the team looks out over the burning wreckage, all back on their feet but looking shell shocked.

JACK : You've destroyed the city.

JOHN : Jack, hold me.

Goes up to Jack and hugs him, which Jack pretty much ignores. On her roof Gwen and Andy survey the damage.

GWEN (whispering, stuck on repeat) : Oh, my God, my God.

ANDY : Oh sh*t. Oh my God. What do we do, what do we do ?

GWEN : OK, keep everyone calm, tell them to get every officer in. Run !

Back at the castle.

JACK : What've you done ?

JOHN : It's OK. It's all gonna be OK.

Gold glow grows behind them, riftglow. Jack starts to struggle.

JACK : Stop ! Get off me !

And then they disappear. A flash of gold light, a long sh*t of the castle, and nothing. Meanwhile on Gwen's roof, we get use of jumpcuts to convey disorientation.

GWEN : Jack ? Jack ? Jack, can you hear me ? Are you there ? Jack !

TOSH : I'm tracking a huge rift flare over at the castle. It's been generated by the rift manipulator at Torchwood.

GWEN : Tosh, Ianto, Owen...are you, er, are you OK ?

TOSH : Yeah, we're fine.

IANTO : Still here.

OWEN : Me too.

GWEN : Good, OK, good. Tosh, do we have the scale of the damage on the city ?

INT Server room, now redlit

TOSH : Fifteen major explosions, at strategic points across the city. There's currently a surge in traffic trying to leave the city but the explosions have cut off all major routes in and out. Landlines, mobile phones and IT networks all down, TV and radio off air. He's completely crippled us Gwen.

GWEN (still on her roof, whispers) : sh*t.

IANTO : Not wanting to be the harbinger of doom but the systems which serve the Turnmill nuclear plant have all gone off-line.

GWEN : Right, Tosh, Ianto, you have to stabilise the nuclear power station, make that a priority. Owen, what's it like at the hospital ?

INT NIGHT Hospital

OWEN : Lost all power. The backup generators gave out in the blast. Every single machine in this hospital is down. It's a disaster.

GWEN (still on her roof) : OK, all of you, listen to me. We're gonna fix this, We're gonna put this city back together, we're gonna find Jack and we're gonna punish John. Now, I need you to be careful. OK ? (Reaction sh*ts). Where are you, Jack ? Where are you ?

EXT DAY

Close up on Jack's face. Pull back to crane sh*t, watch him getting up, shield his face from sunlight, look around. Big grassy field, some trees, very middle of nowhere. Cardiff. 27AD.

JOHN (walks out from trees) : We're safe. Now, before you do anything rash, you have to hear...

JACK (punch in the face interruption) : Take us back now !

JOHN : No way. We have to be this far to escape the trigger signal !

JACK : What ?

JOHN : Look at it ! Go on. It's bonded to my skin. I can't get it off. Open it.

JACK : Whoa.

JOHN : Ninth generation detonator.

JACK (lets go, backs off, points with both hands) : You're a walking b*mb !

JOHN : Add to that a surveillance circuit, to monitor my every word and action, and he has me doing anything I'm told. Cos if I don't... boom ! I'm not my own man. I thought you'd see that. But oh, no, you're so self-obsessed you thought I'd want to blow up your stupid city ! When I could be experiencing 17 simultaneous pleasures in the Lotus Nebula ! (Peers behind Jack). Uh-oh... just run.

JACK : Oh, please, that is the oldest trick in the book.

GRAY : Jack ?

The man from last week's hologram walks towards them across the field. We get Gray's theme on the music and lots of little flashback images from 1-05 that are going to be a pain to write out clearly.

JACK : Gray ?!

GRAY : I never stopped believing. I always knew we'd find each other again.

Big hug.

JACK : I'm sorry.

GRAY : Sorry's not good enough. (Big stabbing. Jack falls, still reaching for Gray, who just stabbed him. Lies twitching with sword in chest. Dies, while John and Gray watch. Gray tells John,) Get a shovel.

INT NIGHT Police HQ entrance hall

Cardiff Police HQ. 7:39pm.

GWEN : This was a targeted att*ck, designed to cause maximum panic. Usual emergency procedures won't cover what's happened here. This is where we find out how good we really are. Cover the whole city, knock on doors, check on people, tell people that they are safe and that it is being dealt with. Get out there and do your jobs.

RHYS : Bloody impressive, man.

ANDY : She is that, yeah. Lucky sod.

Rhys has the grin of one who knows that. Gwen is busy telling police what to do.

INT Server place, red lit still

Central Server Building. 8:01pm.

IANTO (torch held in mouth, fiddling with wires) : Go !

TOSH : It won't work !

IANTO : Nothing, sorry.

TOSH : We need to re-start the Turnmill servers.

IANTO : What if you can't ?

TOSH : Then the reactor goes into meltdown.

IANTO : Then I'm going up there.

TOSH : What ? Ianto !

IANTO : Look, if we can't fix the remote servers, there must be something I can do on-site to prevent nuclear meltdown.

TOSH : That could be su1c1de.

IANTO : Are we gonna discuss it, or are we gonna do it ?

TOSH : Ok, but we both go.

EXT DAY A field

Shackles close around Jack's ankles with a bleep. We see he's standing next to a freshly dug grave. Gray walks off, John fixes the handcuffs on. Jack pretty much ignores him, talking to Gray's back.

JACK : I looked for you. I searched for you for years. You were my first thought, every day.

GRAY : What are you expecting, mm ? A loving reunion ? Absolution ? Me to say, "It's OK, brother, I forgive you".

FLASHBACK VOICE : Take Gray and keep him safe. (To flashback from 2-05). I got to go get your mother. Run !

Young Jack and baby Gray run away.

GRAY : Those creatures, (flashback) they lived to t*rture. They kept us just on the verge of life. I'd lie there, hemmed in by corpses, praying to become one. Because you... let go... of my hand, remember ?

JACK : If I could swap with you, I would.

FLASHBACK VOICE : Gray. (assorted FB images of different people calling). Gray ! Where's Gray ? Where is he, son ? Where is he ? Gray !

GRAY : Remember it again.

FLASHBACK VOICE : Gray, where are you ?

GRAY : I believed you'd come, but you never did. How long before you gave up, hm ? Months ? Years ? Decades ?

JACK : What do you want from me ?

GRAY : I want you to suffer. I want your life. This is Cardiff. 27AD. The city will be built here, over the next 2,000 years. Your grave will be the city's foundations. Your blessing of life becomes a curse. (Reaction from John, looking considerable upset). Each time you revive, with a throatful of earth, each time it chokes you afresh, and you thrash on the edge of death, you think of me.

JOHN : All right, calling a halt now I can't let you do this.

Walks towards Gray, but Gray shoves Jack back and he falls. POV sh*t up from the hole.

GRAY : Fill the grave.

JOHN : No way.

GRAY : Then the detonator on your arm gets activated.

Conversation in eye contact happens. John, unhappy, looks down at Jack. Jack is zen. John is puzzled. Jack nods. John twitches half a smile. Then John takes his ring off, kisses it. Jack lets out a breath and relaxes some. John tosses it down onto Jack's chest.

GRAY : What's that ?

JOHN : It's, er, sentimental value.

John goes to work with the shovel. Jack closes his eyes and gets dirt thrown on him. Gray stares down at them. Fade to black. Buried. Fade in again.
INT HUB The cells

Torchwood Vaults. 9:07pm.

Rift flare, gold, and Gray steps out. He turns and looks in a cell. Inside are three Weevils together.

INT NIGHT Police station

Rhys walks in. Gwen is on the floor, sitting scrunched up behind the desk.

RHYS : Skulking, is it ?

GWEN : Still no word from Jack.

RHYS : Hey, it's gonna be fine.

GWEN : What if it's not ? What if this is how it all ends ? I can't do this, Rhys. I'm not up to it.

RHYS : Rubbish. Those coppers are out there now, because of you. Even if you don't believe in yourself, they did. And I do. You're a bloody hero, Gwen. So you keep going, cos we need you.

GWEN : Will you marry me again ?

TOSH : Gwen...

Cut to EXT NIGHT in the middle of a sentence, Tosh with Ianto in an alley somewhere.

TOSH : ...I've got a rift alert from inside the Hub, mirroring the pattern from earlier when Jack disappeared.

GWEN : D'you think it could be him ?

TOSH : I can't check it out, I've got to get the Turnmill servers back online.

GWEN : Tosh, I can't leave the police station.

RHYS : Yes, you can. If they need you. We'll be fine.

GWEN : Are you sure ?

RHYS : I'll see you when it's all over. (She twitches a smile at him. He nods to the door). Go !

INT HUB Door

Cog rolls back to reveal Gwen with her g*n out and down. She raises it and heads in, looking very competent and focused. Checks out different angles, searches room visually. Steps out slowly along the walkway. John steps out behind her somehow.

JOHN : You took your time.

GWEN (spins, aims) : On your knees !

JOHN: Honestly, it's just sex, sex, sex with you people !

GWEN (pumps the g*n) : Now ! (John raises an eyebrow and complies, casual and slow). Hands behind your head ! I'm gonna need a really good reason not to sh**t you within the next 20 seconds.

JOHN : I know where Jack is.

GWEN : You're lying.

JOHN : He's buried alive, somewhere beneath this city. I came back to help you.

GWEN : You bombed this city !

JOHN : Listen to me ! You have to believe me. It's Gray, Jack's brother, that's been doing all this.

GWEN : Don't talk rubbish.

JOHN : He placed a b*mb on me, molecularly bonded the detonator to my skin, I had to do what he wanted. (Gets up and walks towards Gwen, who lets him). Look ! He forced me to bury Jack and then he freed me, he told me I could go anywhere I wanted. I could've run, but I chose to come back here.

GWEN : Why should I trust you ?

JOHN (pause where he looks down and takes two starting-breaths before he can actually start). They were separated as children. Gray was abducted. When I found him he was chained to the ruins of a city on the Bedlam Outlands... surrounded by corpses. He was the only one left. The creatures had long since gone. Dunno how long he'd been there. He thought I was the rescuing hero. (b*at). So, it took me too long to realise he'd learned terrible things watching those creatures. He let me trust him... Argh ! The molecules are unbonding. Just like he promised. (Sticky squishy noises and John starts undoing his wrist strap. It comes off, sort of. So does quite a lot of skin, by the sticky stretchy look. John laughs and scream). Aargh ! Oh, God. (Pulls it free with such force his arms spread wide). See ? Free man. Apparently. (Pause of deep breaths). I didn't have to come back here. I could've run.

GWEN : You find Jack, I'll let you live. But you'd better be quick.

JOHN : Fine. Toshiko. I need you to run a trace for an etheric particle signal NME transmitting at 200 betacycles.

TOSH : Gwen, where are you ? What's he doing ? Where's Jack ?

JOHN : Trace that signal, we'll find him.

GWEN : It's OK, Tosh. I've got him covered. Just do as he says.

TOSH : No signals even vaguely resembling that.

JOHN : Uh, no, There must be. That transmitter was guaranteed for five millennia through three ecological permalayers, it has to still be transmitting. If not, we'll never find him. He'll be buried... forever.

Piercing tone sounds, and sounds very much like a fire or smoke alarm, so making me jump a lot. Gwen and John flinch, scream, and cover their ears. Big loudness of noise. And not just in the Hub, Ianto and Tosh react too.

GWEN : What the hell is that ?

Out in the city, Weevils emerge from the sewers. Many weevils. And in the church from 2-08 too. Many, many. They're out in residential streets. Screaming and snarls and they att*ck civilians. In the Hub cells too, they wake up, get up, and snarl.

CLOSE UP on a time agent wrist strap, Gray's. His finger on the button, he watches the doors open and weevils escape. They don't att*ck him, run past. Up in the main Hub we see the computer monitors, with internal security cams showing.

GWEN : Oh, there's weevils loose in the lower corridors. (Gwen must know this psychically, cause she hasn't got to the screens yet. Says to John, moving around him). Stay there, stay there. (Sees more and more weevils). Oh, my God, what's going on, how did they get out ?

JOHN : It's Gray. He must be here in the city, he said he was gonna take Jack's life, destroy it from the inside out. A weevil wake-up call could be just the beginning.

EXT NIGHT, alley behind Jubilee Pizza.

You can tell cause there's signs up. Tosh and Ianto flatten themselves against a door, look worried.

IANTO (whispers) : Stay there.

POV sh*t of the street, lots and lots and lots of weevils. Some come towards them... run past. Ianto taps his comm.

IANTO : Owen, Gwen, can you hear me ? The streets are flooded with weevils, they came out of nowhere. There's no chance we'll get to the nuclear power station in time.

INT NIGHT Hospital, dark

Nurses with torches are dealing with patients while Owen runs around handing stuff out.

OWEN : Manual life support, get them round the hospital. Ianto, leave it to me. I can get there.

IANTO : How ?

OWEN : King of the Weevils, remember ?

EXT NIGHT Street full of Weevils

Weevils growl, Owen runs out... they back down and kneel just like before. Owen runs through and past.

INT NIGHT Police station

Weevils at the door on one side, humans on the other. Rhys closest and lowest, trying to get it closed.

RHYS : Push, will you ! Have none of you ever been in a scrum !

They all push together, get it closed enough, push the bolt home.

RHYS : Bloody hell, how many were there ? It's like Fort Apache the Bronx in here.

ANDY : Apart from the fact that the surrounding forces are savage aliens and we could all die, it's almost exactly the same, yeah. Thanks for that.

Weevil growls. Andy looks O.O at door and takes hand off quickly. Leaves.

INT HUB, Computers

GWEN : I am telling you I have run every scan possible, there is no signal traceable.

JOHN : Then try it again, it's got to be there. Oi, I'm talking to you. (Gwen and John back up, backs together. g*ns are now the other side of Weevils). You know you've got a real pest problem around here.

Bang and more bang ! Tosh and Ianto appear from around the fountain, presumably via invisible lift or the door in the armoury that leads to the SUV park. Good timing either way. They sh**t, Weevils go down.

GWEN : Oh, God, I'm so pleased to see you !

Ianto strides forwards, focused but not on her, raises g*n, aims at John, Gwen grabs and pushes arm up.

JOHN : Don't start, I'll make things right, Eye Candy.

TOSH : Then start by getting those Weevils down the vaults before they recover. It takes more than a b*llet to stop them.

Tosh starts tapping computers one handed, the other three comply.

INT HUB Cells

The three drag three Weevils in through three separate solid cell doors.

IANTO : You did what ?!

GWEN : Ianto !

JOHN : I didn't have a choice!

IANTO : There's always a choice.

GWEN : Okay can we just get these Weevils into the cells please !

IANTO : If we don't find him, I'll k*ll you. (Gets weevil settled, presses against glass looking out). Very slowly.

Doors slam behind them.

GWEN : Whoa ! What's happening ? Tosh ? Tosh ! Ianto, my comms are dead.

JOHN : Gwen ?

GRAY (outside John's cell) : I let you go. I gave you one trip, you could have gone anywhere.

JOHN : Question of honour.

GWEN : Gray ? You're Gray, right ? There's no need for this, we can help you. Just tell us where Jack is.

GRAY : His life's mine now.

Walks past Ianto's cell and away.

IANTO : Where's Jack ? What've you done with him ? What've you done with him ?!

EXT NIGHT, square well lit building with a chimney

Turnmill Nuclear Power Station. 9:42pm.

INT Control Room

Red light of doom and frantic beeping of alarms. Owen runs in and finds someone working.

NIRA : What are you doing ? Get the hell out of here !

OWEN : What the hell are you doing here, more like ! The systems going into meltdown.

NIRA : A soldier never leaves her post.

OWEN : OK, Well you can now, OK ? I'm with Torchwood and we're dealing with this.

NIRA : Yeah ? What d'you know about nuclear containment structure ?

OWEN : Well, you know, I'm only a layman, but I'm presuming if you've run out of power, then the containment structure's over pressurised. The containment spray and cooling systems aren't working so the fuel probably can't be cooled down, it's overheating. So sooner rather than later there'll be a meltdown and radioactive material will be released into the atmosphere. Yeah ? Roughly ?

NIRA : Roughly.

OWEN : Right, you need to go. Be careful, there are creatures out there on the loose. Take this, it's a kind of mace.

NIRA : It sounds more dangerous out there than in here.

OWEN : Yeah, I'd say it's pretty much even. Go.

NIRA: Thank you.

She leaves. Owen taps his comm and goes to look at screens.

OWEN : Tosh, you're going to have to help me out here, I haven't got a bloody clue what I'm doing.

TOSH : OK, I don't want you to panic, but the reactor's already hit the critical point.

OWEN : You're telling me it's going into meltdown, aren't you ? And I'm at the eye of the storm.

TOSH : Yes. Sorry.

OWEN : Right, can you fix it ?

TOSH : Of course I can, I'm brilliant !

OWEN : Yeah.

TOSH : I'm gonna try and divert power from the auxiliary source back to Turnmill. If that works, I can talk you through restoring the coolant system. (Picks up glowy blue box of knowings). Right. Now...

Muffled bang. Tosh pain face and gasp.

OWEN : Tosh !

Gray lowers his g*n. Owen taps his comm twice. In the Hub, Tosh looks down. Hand pressed to stomach wound, bleeding. She falls.

TOSH : Help me... Please.

OWEN : Tosh ! Can you hear me, are you there ?

GRAY (pulls wires out of all sorts of things on the way past. Computers go dark) : I've heard people say death is such a waste. I imagine it more as a relief.

OWEN : Tosh ! Can you hear me ? Tosh !

GRAY : What's it like ? How does it feel ? (Throws box away into autopsy area). Are you afraid ? Are you sad ? (Touches her face). You can tell me. The battle's done.

Thudding noise fills the Hub.

GRAY : What's that ?

The noise continues. He looks around and then leaves. Tosh looks at her stomach wound, keeps her hand pressed on it, turns over.

OWEN : Tosh, talk to me. I need your help here, babe.

She starts to crawl after the box.

INT HUB Cells

We see Gwen and John and Ianto react as the noise continue.

IANTO : What's that banging ?

GWEN : Something's wrong.

JOHN : Never mind that, I've got an idea.

He fiddles with some gadget box he happened to have on him.

INT HUB Main area

There's a blood trail from where Tosh was lying, a thick one. Tosh rolls down the steps, grunting in pain. The scanner box is half a dozen steps below. Seems a long way. The thudding continues.

INT HUB Morgue

Thuds louder and more persistent. Gray walks through corridors and into the morgue. Drawer 003 is glowing gold. Gray opens it, pulls the cryo t*nk out. It slides open and...

JACK : I forgive you.

GRAY : How did you survive ?

Jack sits up, laughing. Screenwipe to

INT HUB Old office

Torchwood Hub 1901. The woman from 2-12 and a new to us black man are bending over something on a desk. Alice Guppy and Charles Gaskell, says the end credits.

CHARLES : How long since you first discovered it ?

ALICE: Three days now. Just one signal, regular as clockwork. But I haven't told you the best bit, I can track it to a physical location.

CHARLES : Where ?

EXT DAY Grass beside buildings

She leads him to a particular patch.

ALICE : It's here. 20 feet down, but it's definitely here, start digging !

INT HUB Office again

Still in the past. Jack looks all dirty. And is wearing the stuff he got buried in. 1900 years later. Neat trick.

JACK : Please, can we just stop with the questions ?

ALICE : We found you in a 20-foot grave ! Do you want us to just accept that ?

JACK : Yes, I do.

CHARLES : You're supposed to be out there working for us ! Who gave you this ring.

JACK : I've crossed my own timeline. I can't be allowed to meet myself, a lot of lives depend on this. You'll be protecting the future. That's what you're here for, isn't it ? And now I need you to put me in the morgue. Freeze me, set the alarm to defrost in 107 years time.

INT HUB Morgue

Jack, now standing, faces Gray.

JACK : I forgive you, Gray.

GRAY : Don't you walk away from me. Don't you walk away from me !

INT HUB Tunnels

GRAY : Stop ! Stop !

JACK : I've forgiven you, I gave you absolution, now do the same for me !

GRAY : I prayed for death. Those creatures, the things they did to us, because of you, the favourite son, the one who lived, who'll always live. The only strength I have is my hatred for you.

JACK (goes to hold Gray, but he pulls away and shrugs him off) : I didn't know. I didn't realise until it was too late.

GRAY : I begrudge you everything. I want to rip it all from you, to leave you screaming in the dark. I will never absolve you. All of it, it's your fault.

JACK (reaches out tentatively, and this time is allowed. Pulls him close. Big hug. Whispers to him, probably "sorry". And... cloth over mouth, knocks Gray out). I know. I know, Gray.

Holds him and rocks.

INT HUB Cells

Close up of John's tech toy, him fiddling with it.

JOHN : Got it !

Loud noise like the weevil signal.

JOHN : Sorry !

GWEN : (?)

JOHN : Recall signal. Time for all the pets to return home.

Which worryingly involves twitchy cellmates... but then weevils in the street climb down the sewers again.

EXT NIGHT Police station roof

Rhys and Andy look down.

RHYS : What happened ? Where have they all gone ?

ANDY : Abergavenney ?

INT Red nuclear power place and INT Autopsy room

Owen in the red light waiting for Tosh. Stairs in the Autopsy bay covered in blood, big pools of it. Tosh on the floor with the scanner box... and a big pond of her own blood. She's fiddling with the scanner.

OWEN : Tosh, come on girl. (Lights come up, normal white). Here we go. Right, you've done it Tosh, you've got power ! Are you OK ?

TOSH : Yeah, I'm fine.

Now she reaches for medical stuff, pulls a tray of syringes down.

OWEN : Right, what's going on there ?

TOSH : Just a... machine malfunction.

OWEN : Are you hurt ?

TOSH : Who, me ? No ! I'm fine, it's just my arm.

OWEN : OK.

TOSH : I'm sorting out another painkiller.

OWEN : Good.

TOSH (stabs painkiller into her thigh with a gasp, then throws the empty aside) : OK.

OWEN : Come on, let's do this together.

TOSH : Right... okay... (Bleeping, and she looks up at the screen). Oh god. Owen...

OWEN : What's the matter ?

TOSH : There's no way to stop the meltdown. It's too far gone.

OWEN : OK, OK, that is not good, is it ? But come on, Tosh, there's got to be something, there's always something. Come on.

TOSH : The only option is to vent the flow channels internally.

OWEN : Vent them where ?

TOSH : The area you're in is the containment building.

OWEN : Yeah ?

TOSH : You need to set up a time-delay programme, channel the fuel into that bunker and instigate permanent lockdown. Seal the building and the meltdown will be contained within. And, obviously, remember to get out.

OWEN : Yeah, I think I can remember that bit.

TOSH : I'll open the system protocol, you just need to enter the timeframe and authorise, OK ?

OWEN : OK, Tosh. Let's do this thing. And, Tosh, thank you.

TOSH : That's what I'm here for.

She looks down at her stomach wound and then up again. Face of oh no. Bites lip.

INT HUB Cells

Jack strides in, on his way through... no, looking, he looks in the little cell window.

GWEN : Jack !

Handy wrist strap of opening gets it done.

GWEN : Oh God. (pouncehugs Jack). Oh, thank God !

IANTO (walks up more wearily) : I thought we'd lost you.

JACK : Never. (Grabs Ianto and hugs him in to the side Gwen isn't covering. Ianto turns his face in to Jack's shoulder. Snuggle time). Never.

JOHN : Quite a queue for the hugs.

Ianto un-hugs, turns and gets behind Jack's shoulder, keeps his eyes on John.

JACK : Always has been, always will be. Nice use of the ring.

JOHN : Thank you. Least I could do. Listen, Gray's in the Hub.

JACK : I know. It's done.

INT Nuclear power place, all lit up and working

Screens say something about flow channels diverted, as per plan.

OWEN : Yes ! Rock and roll !

Tosh smiles... then computers start beeping.

TOSH : Oh no... Owen, get out of there ! (He looks up and looks at dials for about the next ten seconds). There's a power surge in the system ! When that hits, it'll trigger an emergency lockdown !

Red lights flash, alarms happen, the door starts to close, and Owen starts running. Too late.

OWEN : No ! No ! Tosh ! Toshiko ! I can't get out ! Not like this. Not like this ! I'm not going yet. Get me out of here, Tosh ! Get me out of here ! I've d*ed once, I'm not doing it again ! Where's Jack ? Where's Gwen, Ianto, John ? You want to watch the dead man die again ?

TOSH : Owen, just stay calm.

OWEN : Oh, why should I do that ? Where's the fun in that ? I'm gonna rage my way to oblivion. Starts screaming.

TOSH : Please stop.

OWEN : Why ? Give me one good bloody reason why, one good reason why I shouldn't keep screaming.

TOSH : Because you're breaking my heart.

Pause of panting and sliding down cabinets.

OWEN : I'm sorry.

TOSH : It's my fault.

OWEN : No, no, no, it isn't. No, it isn't. Don't you dare go there, Tosh. I'm really sorry.

Pause of Tosh panting now.

OWEN : What's gonna happen to me, Tosh ?

TOSH : I can't.

OWEN : Please. OK, I need to know.

TOSH (long pause) : The containment chamber will be flooded with the irradiated coolant.

OWEN : Ah. My body will slowly decompose, as I watch.

TOSH : I should've been able to stop it.

OWEN : Oh, come on, Tosh. There's no way you could've anticipated that power spike, come on. Besides, you've saved... my back so many times in the past. Right from the moment I joined.

TOSH : Your second week I had to cover for you, pretend I was a medic, cos you were hung over and unreachable.

OWEN : What was it, Space Pig ?

TOSH : Space Pig.

OWEN : Yeah.

Pause of smiling.

OWEN : We never did get that date, did we, you and me ? We sort of, er, missed each other. It was my fault. I didn't... didn't notice until it was too late. I'm sorry.

TOSH : Me too.

At the power station Coolant Venting comes up on screen and machines bleep.

OWEN : It's starting.

TOSH : Owen...

Power plant displays start to white out, radiation damaged.

OWEN : It's all right. Really, Tosh. It's all right.

FADE TO WHITE

TOSH : Oh, God. Owen... Owen...

The little cross on the screen representing him wiggles... and goes out. Power plant fuzzed, radiation everywhere. Tosh turns away. Jack comes in to the main computer area... and sees the blood. There's only one of his unaccounted for that can bleed. He runs along the trail.

JACK : Toshiko ? Toshiko ?! Gwen, I need help down here ! (He runs down to her, not down the blood smeared steps, the other ones. He reaches for her. Very softly says). Okay ?

Gwen runs in, grabs a syringe and starts trying to help. John is looking down from the walkway, looking like this matters for once. Ianto comes down and looks at the screen. He sounds real upset.

IANTO : The nuclear plant at Turnmill. Owen's there.

TOSH : Sealed in. Re-routed the blast. (Looks to Jack). I couldn't save him.

Jack looks up at the screen, or possibly at Ianto, can't figure the eyelines. Gwen looks to Jack. He looks back at Tosh. Gwen injects her with something.)

JACK : Tosh ?

GWEN : There you go, darling. Talk to me now, come on. Hey ! Tosh !

Tosh only looks to Jack. He holds her, smiles. She smiles. And then... face goes slack. She isn't in there any more. Jack breaks down crying. Gwen sobs. Gather round in misery. Ianto leans heavily on a cart to one side.

EXT DAY Cardiff, fountain from above

INT DAY Gwen's flat

Rhys holds Gwen, snuggled up on the sofa.

ON TV : And Cardiff city centre is today recovering from a series of devastating explosions. City leaders say it's too early to account for the full scale of the damage that also saw sightings of vicious animals on the streets of the city.

Gwen face of misery.

INT HUB Autopsy bay

John goes down the steps. Jack is bent over a cryo chamber, with Gray in it. He's fussing, touching, nothing technical, personal.

JACK : My whole life I was looking for him. Now I have to lose him all over again.

JOHN : You cryo-freeze him and then what ? Wake him up in a 100 years and he's miraculously better? Cos that's not gonna happen. Maybe k*lling him would be the release he needs.

JACK : There has been enough death.

JOHN : You didn't struggle... when I buried you. Like...you were allowing it.

JACK : It was my penance.

JOHN (steps closer. Speaks more softly) : It's not your fault.

Jack looks at him. A long, long moment of eye conversation, Jack mostly saying pointed nothing. Then he looks down into the chamber again. He moves awkwardly, hesitantly, then goes to kiss his brother's forehead. He stands, hits controls on his wrist. The chamber seals. He steps back and closes the door on it. Crouches in front of the door a moment, hands still on it. Then stands abruptly, turns, puts his hands in his pockets and stares at John.

JACK : Need help with those rift predictions ?

JOHN : Lot of this planet I haven't seen. You like it so much, thought I might take a look. Maybe see you around. (Jack goes to walk past him, John stops him with a hand on his chest. There's an awkward shuffle, quite unlike their first meeting, as John goes for the kiss. Jack turns away and John kisses him on the cheek. It might even be what he'd intended. He steps back, and says sort of slow). I'm sorry for your losses.

Then John walks away, leaving Jack alone in the autopsy room.

INT HUB Computer desks

Ianto is working a computer. From the angles, probably Toshiko's. He's done that before but now it's... different. He's changing personnel records. Owen's first. Jack is packing things away. He's got a steel suitcase and he's putting things in. Medical equipment, first. Ianto types on Owen's record : "Inactive – Deceased". Jack holds a folded coat to his chest in much the way we've seen him hold Owen before. He's crying, now. It's Owen's coat of many buttons. He slides it into a T marked bag. Computer screen says "Final logout procedure Dr Owen Harper Are you sure you want to continue ? Jack puts the coat in the box. Ianto clicks Yes. Jack has tears on his face now. He wipes them with his hand, sniffs, then closes the lid on Owen's things and seals the clasps. Deep sigh. Gwen is clearing Tosh's desk. Ianto is on to her personnel file, her final logout. Clicks yes. Gwen has to put Toshiko's glasses in the box, and she's crying now. On the computer a window pops up : Toshiko, wearing those glasses. She takes them off and faces the camera.

TOSH (on camera) : OK. So... if you're seeing this, I guess it means, I'm... well, dead. Hope it was impressive ! Not crossing the road or an incident with a toaster. I just wanted to say... it's OK. It really is. Jack, you saved me. You showed me all the wonders of the universe and... all those possibilities. And I wouldn't have missed it for the world. Thank you. And Owen, you never knew. (All three of the others look extra sad like their insides fell again). I love you. All of you. And... I hope I did good.

Gwen smiles through her tears. Computer Tosh reaches forwards and hits a key... and fades out forever.

JACK : Now we carry on.

GWEN : I don't think I can, not after this.

JACK (hugs her) : You can. (Hugs Ianto). We all can. The end is where we start from.

Camera back on crane, see the three of them standing there, together, small in the Hub.

EXT DAY Cardiff

Over the bay, flies away from the buildings, over the water, which fades to black.

End