3x01 - Children of Earth, "Day One"

All episode transcripts for the TV show "Torchwood". Aired 22nd October, 2006 to 15th September, 2011.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

"Torchwood" follows the exploits of the members of the Cardiff-based, fictional Torchwood Institute, a secret organization founded by the British Crown, which deals mainly with incidents involving extraterrestrials.

3x01 - Children of Earth, "Day One"

Post by bunniefuu »

CAPTION : 1965, Scotland

EXT COUNTRY ROAD NIGHT

A 1960s bus drives along in the gathering dark with headlights glowing. Close up on one child, blond boy. Child stares out of rain covered window.

INT BUS NIGHT

Child looks around into the bus. He’s silent. Kids in era appropriate clothing sit and talk to each other.

GIRL (quiet under music) : Why am I talking ?

EXT DARK COUNTRY NIGHT

Bus stops. Children get out. Look around. Ominous music is ominous.Children walk forwards as a group. Blond boy hangs back. Bright light ! Very bright, ahead of them. They stop and look. Start walking again. Leave blond boy behind. Blond boy walks forwards, looks back, light behind him. Long sh*t : One adult figure stands in front of the bus, the light glows ahead and the children walk into it. Light flares.

FADE TO WHITE

OPENING CREDITS

Next sequence is a lot of fast cuts and talking over different pictures. Takes longer to read than view.

EXT DAY Cardiff from above

Cardiff bay from the air. Millennium Centre and the Plas and all showing.

Caption says : CARDIFF

EXT DAY A Cardiff clock tower

A location and time stamp : It is 0840.

EXT DAY Cardiff city street

Gwen Cooper at a cash point. Close up on Gwen, voices start out of view.

MOTHER (OS) : Come on, Tyler. Tyler, just stop it.

Gwen looks around.

MOTHER : I haven't got time to muck around.

A mother stands in front of a young boy in school uniform. He stares into space, she tells him off. Close up and he’s staring straight forward, not responding to anything.

MOTHER : Tyler ! All right, I'll just leave you there.

Gwen at the cash point grins.

MOTHER : Is that what you want ? If I just leave you ? In the middle of town ?

FATHER : Suzette ! Suzette. We're going to be late.

Gwen looks in the opposite direction. Different parent and child there, exact same reactions, angry parent and frozen child.

MOTHER (VO) : Come on then, come on.

FATHER : Suzette ! Stop it, you're just looking silly, d'you want other people to see you, looking silly ?

INT DAY Davies house

Laundry basket fills screen, then Rhiannon carries it past to kitchen, busy. She hasn’t noticed yet : Two children, blue school uniforms, boy David and girl Mica, sit staring straight ahead and unresponsive. Kitchen table, plastic cover, breakfast food, Coco Pops ad with the monkey showing, nobody moving to eat.

RHIANNON DAVIES : If he gives you any more trouble, your dad's going round his house to punch his face in. I'll punch his bloody mother. Have you got that, David ?

INT DAY Frobisher house

Man comes down stairs talking, busy.

JOHN FROBISHER : I've booked the car for 7.30, but I might have to leave it on standby.

Walks into kitchen of rather more expensive décor. He talks to a woman, neither notices the kids. Two girls in green school uniforms, sitting staring and not eating.

FROBISHER : If Baxter starts talking, he never stops, so I can't guarantee what time. I'll tell you what, I'll send you a text when I'm on the motorway.

He walks past and two girls seen clearly, along with orange juice, coffee, teapot, jam, bowl of fruit. They pay no attention to any of it, stare. Close up, not blinking.

INT DAY Carter house

Woman walks in background, camera goes close up on child, red uniform, staring straight ahead.

ALICE CARTER : Steven ! If you leave the front door open, those cats are going to get in.

Silent staring.

ALICE : Darling, don't just stand there, you're gonna be late.

He’s standing in the front doorway, not moving.

ALICE : Steven.

Nothing.

ALICE : Steven ?

EXT DAY Cardiff street at school crossing

Still kids stand in front of a truck. Middle of the road.

RHYS WILLIAMS : Stop playing games ! Get out of the way !

Rhys in the truck. Kids in the road. And the pavement. Lollipop lady outside a school, and every kid in sight is still, every adult baffled. Car horns blare.

RHYS : Oi ! I said bloody shift, man !

EXT DAY Davies house

Council house establishing sh*t.

RHIANNON (VO) : David ? Are you listening to me ?

INT DAY Davies house

Kids still staring.

RHIANNON : Mica ? Oi, you two ! Look at me !

Rhiannon looks but no response.

INT DAY Carter house

Same freeze… then blink. Kid starts moving.

STEVEN CARTER : See ya then !

EXT DAY Cardiff street school crossing

Everyone moves again. Run to cross road. Rhys does incredulous : Ha !

INT DAY Davies house

Kids unfreeze, Rhiannon goes back to laundry.

DAVID DAVIES : And you can shut up an' all, you were the one crying, you were like a baby, I seen you.

MICA DAVIES : Was not.

DAVID : Was.

MICA : Was not.

INT DAY Frobisher house

ANNA FROBISHER : You two, you're gonna be late.

HOLLY FROBISHER : We're going ! Look !

LILLY FROBISHER : I'm going round to Polly's later, see ya, bye !

EXT DAY Cardiff street with the cash point again

TYLER : What ?

MOTHER : You are pushing it, you are, young man. Come on !

They walk off. Back of Gwen’s stylish black leather jacket. She’s walking off. Suzette and her father walk past. Gwen looks back. Close on Suzette’s hair. After this the credits are over and it calms down, not so many cuts.

EXT DAY Cardiff bay outside the tourist door

Gwen walking along on the water level, talking to a bloke up at the railing level.

GWEN : All right, Glyn ? What's occurring ?

GLYN : I've been watching the bay. No sea monsters.

GWEN : Ah, still early.

Gwen goes in the Tourist office door.

INT HUB Main area

Dark. Only light comes through the cog door as it rolls open or up through red emergency lights or alien whatsits.

GWEN : Anyone in ?

Goes to switch near cog cage, lights on. Wide sh*t reveal of the Hub. Looking good. Lots of levels, mysterious windows, Torchwood on the wall.

GWEN : You two having shenanigans in the dark ? Jack ?

Gwen goes to her desk. There’s a picture of Tosh and Owen, well worn, taped to her desk. She touches Owen’s nose and greets them.

GWEN : Morning.

Computer makes noises. Searching : Children. Search progress bar, fastest you’ve ever seen. Says Crimint. Emergency services. Government information network. Hospital records. Local Authorities.

INT DAY Hospital A&E

Busy running doctors.

RUPESH PATANJALI : Clear ! And again !

MALE VOICE : Charging 200.

RUPESH : Clear !

Monitor Flatlines.

RUPESH : I think we should call it, everyone agree ? OK. Time of death, 09.17. Sally, I can leave it with you, yeah ? I'll go and tell them.

Follow him to a different area of the hospital. Familiar backs ! Captain coat and stylish suit.

RUPESH : I'm sorry.

Jack and Ianto turn around. Anxious face !

RUPESH : We did everything we could, but he didn't make it.

JACK : Oh, that's a shame.

IANTO : Very sad.

JACK : Poor old Mr Williams.

IANTO : Very sad indeed.

RUPESH : There'll have to be an autopsy, but I'd say his heart gave out.

IANTO : Brave old heart.

RUPESH : You were neighbours, is that right ?

JACK : We live next door.

IANTO : He's got no family to speak of. All on his own. We'd just keep an eye on him, you know.

RUPESH : Well, I'm sure he appreciated it. If only there were more like (pause) you two in the world.

JACK : I know it's an imposition, but with us being such good neighbours... Can we see the body ?

INT DAY Hospital

Different bit, curtain drawn aside, dead dude under a sheet.

JACK : Bless him.

IANTO : God rest his soul.

JACK : Say, d'you think we could, er... ? Just on our own, um...

RUPESH : Course you can. Just come and find me, once you're done. And I'm sorry for your loss.

JACK : Thank you.

Curtain closes... and sad faces vanish. Springing into sneaky action ! Actions not matching words. Ianto having relationship talk while Jack uncovers the corpse and Ianto unpacks the toolkit.

IANTO : He thought we were together. Like a couple. He said, "You two". The way he said it, huh. "You two".

JACK : Well, we are. Does it matter ?

IANTO : I dunno, it's all a bit new to me, that's all. Laser saw.

JACK : Thank you.

Shudder inducing laser cut into the guy’s abdomen. With gaping wound.

JACK : Tongs.

IANTO : Tongs.

Jack sticks tongs in a dead guy.

JACK : Almost...

Ianto looks around.

JACK : ...got it.

Curtains whip open.

RUPESH : Sorry, one more th...

The look on Ianto’s face is priceless.

RUPESH : ...ing...

Jack whips out a gross blobby organic sack thing.

JACK : There !

RUPESH : What ?

Shock face !

JACK : Now, look at it, that's not human, is it, does that look human ? No, it does not. It's just a hitchhiker he picked up, it didn't k*ll him.

IANTO : Some say they're positively beneficial, they release endorphins into the bloodstream. He d*ed a happy man. And I've got Tupperware.

JACK : And we're very considerate, we don't leave any mess.

Laser saw uncuts, seals up the gaping great wound.

JACK : Thank you very much.

Whoosh past and away.

IANTO : We'll just get out of your way.

Leaves, past still frozen with his mouth open Dr. Patanjali.

RUPESH : Wait a minute, wait a minute !

EXT DAY Cardiff outside hospital

Dr Rupesh is running after them still in hospital scrubs. Jack and Ianto stride off unworried.

RUPESH : Whatever it was, that was mutilation, I should report you.

JACK : Then why don't you ?

RUPESH : But that thing, what the hell was it, that hitchhiker ?

SUV unlocked.

JACK : Try putting it into a report.

RUPESH : You're Torchwood ?

JACK : Never heard of 'em.

While climbing into the Torchwood branded SUV with "Torchwood" written on it in big letter. Jack slams car door. Rupesh runs up and shouts through window.

RUPESH : There are bodies going missing !

Jack winds window down.

JACK : How many ?

RUPESH : This whole city talks about you.

JACK : What bodies, where ?

RUPESH : It started two months ago. Bodies, taken down to the mortuary, then the records just stop. Five of them. Five in two months. And none of them white. One of West Indian decent, one African, three Chinese, all male.

JACK : What was your name again ?

RUPESH : Rupesh. Rupesh Patanjali.

JACK : What d'you think ?

IANTO : NHS.

JACK : Yeah. Too much red tape. Sorry. But good luck with it !

And SUV drives off.

RUPESH : Don't ! Look, wait a minute !

Dr Patanjali left standing in the car park.

EXT DAY London from above

The Houses of Parliament and surrounds.

EXT DAY London street

Black car drives around a corner. Big red bus pulls up behind little red bus. Not in that American "look it’s a double decker !" way but roughly the same effect. Lois Habiba gets off the bus. She’s doing that half-run of I can’t sprint in these heels but I need to hurry. Down the street. Black car pulls ahead. Black car pulls up outside of Impressive Doors. A black man holds the car door open and Frobisher gets out.

FROBISHER : See you.

DRIVER : Yes sir.

Frobisher strolls in to the doors. Hi vis security jacket, police ? standing up straight outside. Lois Habiba hurrying fast. Goes in.

INT DAY Office corridors

Carpet floors, b*at up wood panel walls and doors. Shiny black shoes on Frobisher as he strides along. Lois and her pointy shoes and skirt shorter than her coat hurry hurries behind him. Frobisher walks off to his right. Lois hurries off to her left... wait, back again, right.

INT DAY Office with desks

Frobisher walks in and sees a man in m*llitary uniform.

FROBISHER : Oh, Christ.

BRIDGET SPEARS : Good morning, sir.

FROBISHER : Morning.

COLONEL ODUYA : Morning to you, too.

BRIDGET : Colonel Oduya for you, sir. Unscheduled. I'd remind you, you've got the Category Meeting at quarter past.

FROBISHER : You'd better come through.

ODUYA : Thank you.

Leads him into glass and blinds wall office, doors close.

LOIS HABIBA : I'm late ! I'm sorry ! Oh, my God, I'm really, really sorry !

BRIDGET : Good morning. Bridget Spears.

LOIS : Lois Habiba.

BRIDGET : Right. This will be your desk.

INT DAY Frobisher’s office

Has a big arch and squares window in the back. Cage effect. Frobisher talks before he sits down.

FROBISHER : Just tell me it's something small. Tell me it's a... It's a meteorite ! Or a shadow on the moon. Just for once, tell me it's easy.

ODUYA : Might be nothing, sir. But it's my job to inform the Government, even if it turns out to be a false alarm.

FROBISHER : Then what is it ?

ODUYA : Children, sir. It's the children.

INT HUB Cog door

Ianto and Jack walk in, cheerful and joking.

IANTO : You are gonna get us k*lled !

JACK : No, you get k*lled, not me. You'd die like a dog, like an ugly dog !

The Torchwood sense of humour at its most refined there.

GWEN : Oi, Chuckle Brothers. I found something.

JACK : Yeah well I want a check on St Helen's Hospital specifically the morgue.

GWEN : Well There's a computer, do it yourself.

Ianto chuckles. Jack takes his coat off and hands it to Ianto as Gwen talks.

GWEN : Meanwhile I've been getting reports this morning of 17 road traffic accidents, happening right across the country, all the way from Glasgow to St Ives.

JACK : Is that above average ?

Jack goes to a computer and works.

GWEN : Well, they all occurred between 8.40 and 8.41. 17 road traffic accidents happening in exactly the same minute ? And every single one of them involving children.

Ianto at his computer. There’s three in a row now.

IANTO : That'll be the school run.

GWEN : All of them were just standing in the road. Not crossing the road, just standing. I saw it myself, Jack. Two kids on Market Street. Well, they just stopped.

ODUYA : But the accidents are just one part of a picture. Because every other child stopped at the same time. And not just in Britain.

IANTO (VO) : Same reports from France.

INT HUB Computer area

IANTO : 15 road traffic accidents. All timed around 9.40. They're an hour ahead, so it was simultaneous.

GWEN : All involving children ?

IANTO : Yup. Hold on. Still Cross-referencing. Here we go. Reports coming in, RTAs in Norway. Sweden. Denmark. Luxembourg.

ODUYA : Germany. India. Egypt. Guyana.

INT HUB Computer area

IANTO : Spain. Portugal. Bosnia. Tokyo.

ODUYA : Singapore. At 8.40 GMT, most of America was asleep, but even there, we're beginning to get reports. I think we can assume it's all of them, sir. As far as we can tell, at 8.40 this morning, every single child in the world stopped.

INT HUB Computer area

GWEN : Seen anything like this before, Jack ?

JACK : No way. Kids ?

ODUYA : Until we receive further information, we don't know if it's extraterrestrial in origin. Though the United Nations has taken UNIT up to yellow alert, just in case.

FROBISHER : Bloody hell.

Knock on door. Door opens. Lois walks in. Frobisher hurriedly changes tracks.

FROBISHER : And Colonel Mace ? How is... How is he getting on ?

ODUYA : He's fine.

Lois is bringing coffee.

ODUYA : Wouldn't mind a post in Vancouver myself. Wonderful countryside, so they say.

FROBISHER : Nice for some.

Pause. Stare at Lois.

LOIS : Sorry. My name's Lois, Lois Habiba. Just started today. I'm helping out Miss Spears while they introduce the new computer system.

FROBISHER : Thank you.

LOIS : Oh right.

And now she leaves.

INT DAY Desks outside Frobisher’s office

LOIS : All done. What's his uniform ? That's not British Army, is it ?

BRIDGET : If you could start transferring the names and addresses.

Told. Lois goes to her desk.

ODUYA : You have two daughters, is that right ?

FROBISHER : Yeah. Maybe I should get them home from school.

ODUYA : I'd be careful, sir. I wouldn't do anything to draw any attention. Right now, this thing's random enough to go unnoticed, and if anyone files a news report, we'll be crushing it. But, so far, we're the only ones with the software clever enough to piece this all together. Well, us and Torchwood.

FROBISHER : D'you want me to talk to them ? They're a pain in the backside, but they can be helpful.

ODUYA : We're on to them, right now.

INT HUB Jack’s office

Jack, seen through his window, on the phone.

JACK : OK, find out anything, let me know immediately.

Lowers phone as Gwen walks in.

JACK : Of all the times for Martha Jones to go on holiday. I get Sergeant Grunt. I'm talking to a sergeant !

GWEN : Don't you dare phone her, she's on her honeymoon. What did they say ?

JACK : UNIT base in Washington has run some tests on a couple of kids.

Ianto, out at his computer, grins and runs to Jack’s office.

JACK : Brain scans, blood sugar, checking for radiation. Nothing.

IANTO : You were right ! He's back !

JACK : Ha ! Ha ! I said so !

Jack gets up and goes to look at the computers. Gwen trails after.

GWEN : Who's back ?

Someone wearing dark trousers, tall, skinny, and a doctor. Rupesh, on the monitor, wandering the Plas.

JACK : What's he doing ?

IANTO : Waiting. Just like you said. He's been there 20 minutes.

JACK : Persistent.

IANTO : Good sign.

JACK : Dogmatic.

IANTO : Always a plus.

GWEN : Oh, Christ, never work with a couple, you two talk like twins ! Now tell me who he is.

IANTO : Rupesh Patanjali. He saw the hitchhiker, he's the bodies-going-missing man.

JACK : Dr Patanjali. We need a doctor.

GWEN : What you let just him follow you ?

IANTO : Ask about Torchwood, and most people point towards the Bay.

GWEN : Oh.

Rupesh still wandering around out there.

GWEN : You bastards, that's exactly what you did to me the first time we met ! Well, sod that, I'm promoting myself to recruitment officer !

Gwen walks off. Jack and Ianto sort of reorient so they’re standing together. Camera goes further away.

IANTO : She's calling us a couple now.

JACK : What's your problem ?

IANTO : Just saying.

JACK : I hate the word "couple".

Walks off.

IANTO : Me too.

Woobie face of lying his arse off. Sounds like Jack shuts himself in his office. Ianto looks at the monitor again. Rupesh still there.

EXT DAY Plas Roald Dahl

GWEN : Hey. Rupesh, isn't it ?

RUPESH : Yeah.

GWEN : Gwen Cooper. I'm Torchwood.

EXT DAY Plas near the fountain

Gwen and Rupesh seated at tables.

GWEN : Three of the bodies were Chinese ? Were they related ?

RUPESH : No, one was 27-years-old and the other two were in their 50s. But not from the same family.

GWEN : Bit odd, though, statistically. In a city this small.

RUPESH : That's what I thought. Mind you. Nothing compared to that hitchhiker.

GWEN : Freak you out ?

RUPESH : Oh, yeah !

GWEN : Yeah, me too. Apparently, anyone could have one. (Pause). Don't ! I know !

RUPESH : This place ! Ever since I moved here, it's just weird.

GWEN : Where you from then ?

RUPESH : Me ? I'm from Chesterfield. Came down here, 18 months back.

GWEN : Enjoying it ?

RUPESH : Very much, yeah.

GWEN : I bet it doesn't pay you much though.

RUPESH : Not at first. Could be worse.

GWEN : Torchwood's paid by the Crown. First pay cheque, I almost fell over. Had to hide it from my boyfriend. I was buying clothes, had to stash them under the bed.

RUPESH : What's it like, inside Torchwood, I mean, what do you do ?

GWEN : Why are you so interested ?

RUPESH : Well. From what I've heard, just sounds... I dunno.

GWEN : Exciting ?

RUPESH : I suppose.

GWEN : Glamorous ?

RUPESH : No, more, sort of... The thing is, we've all seen it now, the past few years. Alien life. Even though half the world's still denying it. For me... OK. It's the suicides. The past few years, su1c1de rates have doubled, and that's ever since the first alien. My first case, my first death, was a su1c1de. D'you know why she did it ? Cos she'd written all these letters, she'd been a Christian all her life, and then alien life appears. She wrote this bit, she said, "It's like science has won".

GWEN : Lost her faith.

RUPESH : More than that. She said she saw her place in the universe, and it was tiny. She d*ed because she thought she was nothing.

GWEN : I went through that. Even now, I get terrified. But at the same time, it is brilliant, and, and beautiful, and completely bloody magic. It's bigger, y'know ? It's like... It's like the whole wide world is bigger. My life is bigger.

She grins at him, then looks past. A mother tugs on the arm of a child, who stands stock still.

GWEN : sh*t !

Gwen gets up and runs over. Rupesh grabs his files and follows her.

MOTHER 2 : Sasha, love, come on, look, I haven't got time. I've got to be in work.

GWEN (into phone but still yelling) : Jack ! Get up here ! Right now ! It's happening again ! The children !

INT HUB Computer area

Jack, in coat, heads out.

JACK : They're doing it again !

Ianto falls in behind him.

EXT DAY Plas

GWEN : Are you all right ?

MOTHER 2 : We're fine, she's just playing a game.

GWEN : OK.

MOTHER 2 : Now come on, sweetheart, people are staring at you ! Sasha, stop it.

Rupesh breathes hard and stares.

EXT DAY Assorted Schools

Children in blue uniform tops with a tower block behind them stand still in the playground. Children in red blazers with school buildings behind stand very still. Including Steven. Children at a road crossing stand still and stare.

CHILDREN High-pitched screaming.

EXT DAY Plas

Jack and Ianto run in.

JACK : What's she doing ? What’s that noise ?

GWEN : I don't know !

MOTHER 2 : Sasha ! Stop it ! Sasha ! Please help her !

RUPESH : There's another one !

Two kids in yet another different uniform, grey jumpers this time.

RUPESH : It's all right, it's all right, I'm a doctor.

Ianto starts filming the kids. As you would. Screaming stops.

EXT DAY Red blazers kids

STEVEN / CHILDREN : We... We... We...

EXT DAY Red tops kids

CHILDREN : We... We... We... We... We... We...

EXT DAY Plas

IANTO : Whoa !

CHILDREN : We are. We are.

EXT DAY Red blazers kids

STEVEN / CHILDREN : We are. We are. We are.

EXT DAY Blue tops kids

CHILDREN : We are coming.

EXT DAY Plas

GWEN : Oh, my God !

EXT DAY Red blazers

CHILDREN : We are coming. We are coming. We are coming.

INT DAY Frobisher’s office / desks outside

FROBISHER : Who's got children ? Find me a kid, find me a bloody kid, now !

INT DAY Mental hospital corridors

Hospital people running. Chanting is an emergency apparently.

EXT DAY Mental hospital

NURSE : He won't stop, he keeps saying the same thing, over and over.

CLEMENT MAC DONALD as Timothy White : We are coming. We are coming.

A nurse starts filming him.

CLEMENT : We are coming. We are coming. We are coming. We are coming.

EXT DAY Plas

MOTHER 2 : Sasha, please, my God !

GWEN : Who are you ? Who's coming ?

Silence... Kid blinks.

SASHA : Come on then.

EXT DAY Blue school

Kids playing again.

EXT DAY Plas

Ianto and Rupesh watching.

BOY : Why is that man filming us ? Are we gonna be on telly ?

EXT DAY Mental hospital

Clement, uniquely, collapses after the chanting stops.

NURSE : You all right ?

CLEMENT : They've found me.

EXT DAY Water outside tourist office

Jack, Gwen and Ianto make dramatic dash for the office. Followed by Rupesh.

JACK : Gwen, I'll get on to the Home Office. This thing has gone public. They're gonna need us. Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa ! Where'd you think you're going ?

RUPESH : Um. I dunno. I could help.

JACK : Doing what ?

GWEN : You're bleeping.

RUPESH : sh*t, yeah, sorry.

JACK : Whole city's coming to a standstill, they're gonna need you in A&E.

GWEN : We'll get back to you, I promise.

RUPESH : What's in there ?

GWEN : Big science-fiction superbase. Honestly ! See ya.

All in to the tourist office, door swings closed. Rupesh on his own seen through bars. He reluctantly turns and hurries away.

EXT DAY London from above

Establishing sh*t of that building opposite the London Eye that probably has a name.

INT DAY Desks outside Frobisher office

Everyone on phones. More phones ringing. There’s a mass phones thing going on. Frobisher walking and being talked at.

BRIDGET : I'm sorry, we've got no comment. Can we leave it for now ?

LOIS : I'm sorry, he's not seeing anyone at the moment.

WOMAN : The Home Secretary's demanding information, sir... and he’ll liaise with UNIT.

LOIS : No, I'm sorry I don't know who that is. I'm new.

FROBISHER : Anyone else, just tell them no, Bridget. No more calls.

He goes in to his office. Closes the door behind him. Bridget is being talked at by several people.

BRIDGET : Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.

INT DAY Frobisher office

He sits down and throws a folder down in front of him. And sits there staring.

INT DAY Desks outside Frobisher office

Bridget gets up from her desk and goes over to Lois with a post-it.

BRIDGET : I'll have to abandon the press list, can you set up an autoreply ? You'll have to get into my account, that's the username, spears, password Hastings, capital H, rest of it lower case.

LOIS : Right.

Through the office window Frobisher is doing facepalm with a possibility of headdesk. He has worried. Dekker walks in head up and confident. He interrupts at least two people clustered around Bridget’s desk.

Mr DEKKER : Bridget, I want to see Mr Frobisher.

Conversation stops. Pause. Bridget gets up.

BRIDGET : Will you excuse me, please.

Knocks, opens office door.

INT DAY Frobisher's office

BRIDGET : Sir ?

He doesn’t even look up.

FROBISHER : I said, no-one.

BRIDGET : Mr Dekker, sir.

She gets out the way, Dekker walks in. He sits down. Frobisher only slowly looks at him.

DEKKER : Four, five, six.

Frobisher face of frozen.

DEKKER : I warned you.

INT HUB Computer area

JACK : Just Tell him it's Captain Jack Harkness, he'll take the call.

LOIS (on phone) : I'm sorry, I can't. If you could just leave your number or...

JACK (on phone) : Tell him it's Torchwood.

LOIS (on phone) : Right, and how do you spell that ?

INT HUB Computer area

JACK (on phone) : You’re working for the Home Office and you've never heard of Torchwood ?

LOIS (on phone) : I'm new. Started today.

INT HUB Computer area to Jack’s office

JACK (on phone) : Just what I need ! Sorry. Not your fault. You picked a hell of a day. Listen.

JACK (on phone) : Just tell him Torchwood, w-o-o-d.

INT HUB Jack’s office

JACK (on phone) : We might be able to help, OK ? What was your name ?

LOIS (on phone) : Lois, Lois Habiba.

INT HUB Jack’s office

JACK (on phone) : Good luck to you, Lois Habiba.

Jack bleeps phone off.

Lois looks at the phone and puts it down. Turns to computer call log system. Types in Name Captain Jack Harkness, Company Torchwood. Red flag ! Click flag : Classified Security Level Two. Post it note of convenient security breach. Lois looks at Bridget… decides to go for it. Username and password. Office door opens, Bridget looks up. Dekker leaves and Frobisher follows. Bridget looks down. Pause. Back to work.

BRIDGET : Right. Too many people here...

Lois gets on with her espionage. Displayed on her monitor : Government Information Network. Torchwood. Founded by HRH Queen Victoria in 1879 its prime purpose is to defend the Earth against extraterrestrial thr*at. Initially established as an institute to investigate matters of the paranormal and extraterrestrial, the organisation has developed over the years in both activity and constitution and is currently operating as a remote team working from Torchwood 3, Cardiff. Funded directly and independently by the Crown, Torchwood was established by order of decree. Torchwood is not beyond the Government however, with her Majesty stating that : "Torchwood is also to administer to the Government thereof in our name, and generally to act in our name and on our behalf, subject to such orders and regulations as Torchwood shall, from time to time, receive from us through one of our Principal Secretaries of state". The Torchwood Charter, Dec 31st 1879.

Lois looks shocked. Screen zoom right in on "extraterrestrial thr*at". In case we missed that.

EXT DAY London street

Same black car as earlier, BP08 XGF, probably a different corner. Frobisher driven across London. Drives past a big building on a roundabout.

INT DAY Underground car park with security door

Frobisher’s car drives in. Police with an actual g*n goes to stand in the door while it closes.

INT DAY Corridor Thames House

Dekker and Frobisher walk down an ordinary modern corridor.

DEKKER : Been a while since we had visitors down here. Thought you'd forgotten about us. It's hardly the glamorous side of Thames House, my little domain.
INT DAY Dekker’s Domain Thames House

Crowded with equipment, Dekker leads Frobisher to a particular area.

DEKKER : We converted the readings onto digital, years ago, but I kept the original equipment. Call it nostalgia. Then this morning it woke up. 8.40, and again at 10.30, transmitting on the 456.

(Dekker presses a button on the nostalgic equipment. Whooshing and whirring). Just five seconds in duration. But that's enough.

FROBISHER : What's it saying ?

DEKKER : Well, I think it's a burst of compressed information. I'm running it through the translators, might take a while.

More alien noise.

DEKKER : But the point is, the 456 was open.

FROBISHER : But why would they change ?

DEKKER : That's your job, to find out.

FROBISHER : I'll have to tell the Prime Minister.

DEKKER : Elected officials ?! They just come and go. The 456 was here before him, it'll be here long after he's gone. And so will we. The Civil Service, John, the cockroaches of government.

FROBISHER : Have you got kids ?

DEKKER : Too busy working. Turns out to be a Godsend.

INT HUB Computer area

JACK : So I think it's a transmission, a pulse, a broadcast.

IANTO : Like the Mosquito alarm, the one that only kids can hear.

JACK : Something unique to prepubescents.

IANTO : Maybe testosterone interferes with the signal, and oestrogen...

GWEN : Oh, no, no, no, hold on. We're being dumbos, we're missing the bleedin' obvious here, look.

TAIWANESE CHILD (on computer) : We are coming. We are coming.

GWEN : Recorded in Taiwan. The point being, anyone ?

TAIWANESE CHILD (on computer) : We are coming. We are coming.

JACK : It's English.

IANTO : They're speaking English.

GWEN : Exactly ! And all the footage is the same. So every single child in the whole wide world is speaking English, so why's that ?

JACK : I guess if you scanned the Earth from the outside, you'd register English as the dominant language.

IANTO : Actually that would be Chinese, well, Mandarin. There's about a billion people speaking Mandarin. That's three times more than English.

GWEN : Oh, my God.

JACK : What ?

GWEN : OK, ready ? So every single child in the world is talking in unison, yeah ?

JACK : Yeah.

IANTO : Yup.

GWEN : Every single child... And one man.

CLEMENT (on computer) : We are coming. We are coming.

JACK : What the hell ? Who's he ?

GWEN : Name's Timothy White. He's a patient in a psychiatric ward at the Duke Of York Hospital, East Grinstead.

JACK : How did you get this footage ?

GWEN : Staff e-mailed it to the police. But every police force is swamped with mums and dads going absolutely mental, so it's just waiting in line. I reckon no-one else has noticed him yet.

IANTO : East Grinstead.

JACK : That's what, two hours ?

GWEN : I'm on it !

EXT DAY Garden of a swish house

Rhys is on the phone, standing in front of a Frost Lynch Estate Agents Grange Farm Road Cardiff CF9 6YY FOR SALE sign. Alternates between there and Gwen’s location.

GWEN (on phone) : I know I promised, shut up. Change of plan.

RHYS (on phone) : Oh, s'all right, I thought you'd be busy. "We are coming !"

EXT DAY Car on a motorway

Gwen is driving, in the fast lane, other cars swish past going t’other way.

GWEN (on phone) : Eh, but what's it like ?

RHYS (on phone) : The estate agent hasn't turned up. (Rhys goes in the gate to have a poke around). Fair dos, she's probably got kids. So, what do you think's causing it ?

GWEN (on phone) : I can't say. Top secret.

RHYS (on phone) : You haven't got a clue, have you ?

GWEN (on phone) : No idea.

RHYS (on phone) : Tell you what, it looks nice from the outside. And I reckon we could knock ten grand off the asking price. Three bedrooms. One could be a nursery.

GWEN (on phone) : Oh, stop it !

RHYS (on phone) : One day !

GWEN (on phone) : You can adopt a Filipino and get her to clean the chimneys.

RHYS (on phone) : Thing is I was thinking though, right ? Those kids went off at 8.40, when everyone's on their way to school, then at 10.30, that's break time. It's like it was timed. You know ? So you'd get maximum kids out in the open, visible to everyone.

GWEN (on phone) : Suppose.

RHYS (on phone) : Yeah, but that means it's timed around Britain. Specific British hours, yeah ? It might be worldwide, but I reckon someone's looking right at us.

GWEN (on phone) : That's brilliant. That is brilliant, you're not bad, you, are you ?

RHYS (on phone) : I'm bloody superb.

GWEN (on phone) : Oh, my God, Severn Bridge ! I'm going into England ! Farewell forever !

RHYS (on phone) : Good luck ! Have you got currency ?

GWEN (on phone) : Yes, and I've had my injections ! See ya !

EXT DAY Plas in front of a building

Jack and Ianto sit on really big steps. Right next to each other with big empty all around them.

JACK : Lunch time. This place should be buzzing with kids.

IANTO : Everyone's taken them home.

JACK : We need a child.

Close on Ianto’s face

JACK : Cos we need to test those frequencies. Find the right frequency, and we can find out who's transmitting.

IANTO : Where d'you get a child, though ? I could find you lasers and weevils and hitchhikers. But kids...

Pause. Jack has think face. Jack stands.

JACK : See you later.

IANTO : Where are you going ?

JACK : Now who's a couple ?

Ianto a bit woob faced again. Looks away and down.

INT DAY Prime Minister’s Office

All books and wood and leather. Globe near the camera, very old and yellowed. Prime Minister, older man in glasses, reads a file.Track across, and Frobisher is sitting in one of the leather chairs. He perches. On the front edge. Waiting. Prime Minister reads. Frobisher looks tense. Big Ben strikes ? Clock music, then bongs between sentences.

Prime Minister as Brian Green : When I was a kid, it was the b*mb. Iron Curtain. Reds under the bed. It was all so bloody simple. Now it comes raining down from the skies. Made of metal, stinking green and God knows what. I find myself running a country under siege from above.

FROBISHER : What d'you recommend that we do ?

Prime Minister : You tell me.

FROBISHER : Given that this is now worldwide, Prime Minister, it might be best if certain historical events were taken off the record.

Prime Minister : So Britain gets a clean sheet ?

FROBISHER : Yes, sir.

PRIME MINISTER : How do we know if these... what do we call them ?

FROBISHER : The 456. They never gave a name. We just called them the 456 after the frequency allocation.

PRIME MINISTER : Then how do we know that the 456 will keep quiet ?

FROBISHER : We don't. All we can do is hope to cover ourselves.

Prime Minister looks away. Not a happy bunny.

FROBISHER : You'll have to issue a Blank Page.

PRIME MINISTER (sharply) / No.

FROBISHER (pause) / Then, what do we do ?

PRIME MINISTER : I'm not having my name on this. You never told me. I was never a part of it. I never knew. Is that understood ?

FROBISHER : Yes, sir. Then I take it that that leaves the Blank Page with me ?

PRIME MINISTER (b*at) / Just don't tell me about it.

INT DAY Carter's house

Front hall with pretty stained glass. Doorbell rings. Alice walks up talking over her shoulder.

ALICE : Tell her it's in the bottom drawer, I put them there yesterday, yeah ?

She opens the door. Smiling Jack !

ALICE : Oh, I thought so.

JACK : Good to see you. How's things ?

ALICE : Terrifying.

STEVEN : Uncle Jack !

Boy runs in, Jack scoops him up and holds him so he’s taller than Jack.

JACK : Steven ! Hey, soldier, how you doing ?

Jack carries Steven in.

STEVEN : I was talking like an alien ! Everyone was ! It was brilliant !

ALICE : You'd better come in.

Eyeroll and swings her door closed.

EXT DAY Davies's house

Ianto gets out the SUV. Closes door and bleeps it locked. Car alarm beeps. Ianto walks up the path past abandoned bikes to... is it a semi detached or an end of terrace ? There’s a terrace behind them. And a lot of city. There’s rubbish bags around a lamp post and only one other car in sight, silver grey, parked right in front of Ianto.

INT DAY Davies's house, kitchen

Close up on Rhiannon packing "Lose a stone in 21 days !" leaflets into envelopes. Rhiannon is pink and leaflets are pink and something plastic looking in a bowl on the table is pink and there’s a whole pink theme. Messy is another theme. Stacks and boxes. Again starting in close up with Rhiannon with her hands full and busy.

IANTO (out of sight) : Only me.

So he’s a just walk in visitor.

RHIANNON : Oh, bloody hell. We must be in trouble. Or is it Christmas ?

Mica is on the games machine playing something loud. Ianto in his suit oddly matches the curtains. And lampshade. But only in color, the style is his own.

IANTO : How are they ?

RHIANNON : Yeah, it was a bit of a scare. I brought them home, just in case.

Ianto walks over and gets his wallet out. As Rhiannon talks he extracts a £10 and hands it over, Mica takes it without comment.

RHIANNON : But I reckon it's that group hysteria thing, like when lots of girls all faint at the same time. Did you say thanks to your uncle ?

MICA (already back to her game) : I did.

RHIANNON : David ! Your Uncle Ianto's here !

Ianto has another £10 out ready.

IANTO : I was thinking. I missed Mica's birthday. I thought I could take her to McDonald's or something.

David runs in, grabs the £10, runs out, all without interrupting Ianto’s sentence.

RHIANNON : That's all of £3.95, you big spender.

IANTO : All right, cinema.

RHIANNON : Yeah, that'd be nice. You'd like that, wouldn't you, Mica ?

Mica nods.

IANTO : I thought maybe this afternoon.

RHIANNON : No chance. What about Saturday ?

IANTO : I'm kind of busy on Saturday.

RHIANNON : You're a civil servant, they don't work weekends. They invented weekends. And I'm not having her going out, not today, not with all that voice thing. I want 'em where I can see them.

IANTO : But she'll be with me.

RHIANNON : She's staying put.

IANTO : Right. Fine. Just an idea. I won't bother you.

Pause. Rhiannon looks up at him all big eyes.

RHIANNON : Oh, that's it, is it ? You're just gonna go now ? Oh, sit down, you daft sod. I've got some of that spinach dip. And you and me, well, ahem, we've got things to talk about.

IANTO : What things ?

RHIANNON : You've been seen.

Ianto makes think face.

INT DAY Carter's house, kitchen

Jack and Alice are in the kitchen. Jack sits, Alice busies.

ALICE : They said on the news that we should send them back to school tomorrow. D'you think it's safe ?

JACK : Well, I don't know any more than you.

ALICE : Oh, come on.

JACK : I don't.

Pause of disbelief and pouring the tea.

JACK : Any word from Joe ?

ALICE : In Italy. With her. They finally got married. But he, er... He phones every now and then, and sends Steven postcards. Remembers his birthday. There are worse fathers.

Pause of awkward.

JACK : How are you off for money ?

ALICE : Don't worry about that. You give me enough. Kind of easy, writing cheques, huh ?

JACK : Alice, you're the one who asked me to stay away. I'd come round here every week, if you wanted me to. Every day.

ALICE : Yeah.

Pause of not looking at him.

ALICE : I just can't stand it, Dad. I look older than you do and it's never gonna stop. I get older and older and you stay the same. One day, you're gonna be standing at my funeral. Looking just like you did when you were standing at Mum's. No wonder she was so furious. You make us feel old.

Pause of long and not looking at each other.

JACK : Actually, I found a grey hair.

ALICE : Oh ! Well, that is the end of the world.

Jack laughs. He looks out the window. Steven is playing in the garden, wearing a red coat.

JACK : You ever gonna tell him ?

ALICE : What do I say ? That you're his grandfather ?

JACK : He's too young to notice, right now. That I don't age. But one day, he's gonna realise.

ALICE : And that's another reason for you to stay away.

JACK : I suppose. I could make the most of it while he's still young. Take him out. Buy him stuff. Me and him, sort of thing.

ALICE : You mean today ?

JACK : While I'm here, may as well.

ALICE : Ah You bastard. Something happens to kids, and you want to spend time with him on the same day. You are not experimenting on that boy, Dad. Not ever. That's why I want you to stay away, because you're dangerous.

INT DAY Hospital

Rupesh runs through corridor and gets to a counter with a phone. Phones where his pager tells him.

RUPESH : Dr Patanjali. You were paging me ?

EXT DAY Carter's house

Jack closes the door behind him, he was phoning before he even left, and strides into the street.

JACK : Rupesh ! Captain Jack Harkness. You've got a children's ward, haven't you ? I need a kid.

INT DAY Davies's house, kitchen

Rhiannon and Ianto at the table opposite each other.

RHIANNON : Susan on the corner was in town and it was her anniversary, so they went to that posh French place in town by the memorial, and there was you.

IANTO : So... ?

RHIANNON : There was you, having dinner with a man.

IANTO : So ?

RHIANNON : Having dinner, with a man, in a restaurant.

IANTO : So ? You have dinner with Tina.

RHIANNON : Not in town. Susan said he was gorgeous. Like a film star. Like an escort.

IANTO : He's my boss.

RHIANNON : She said it was intimate. I said, "Well, he's had girlfriends," and she said, "Well, no girl was getting her feet round that table, no chance." Have you gone bender ?

IANTO : Mica's hearing this.

RHIANNON : She's not bothered. Her friend Sian's got two mothers.

Pause of awkward and Ianto looking down away.

RHIANNON : Go on.

Pause of Ianto making deer headlight eyes at Rhiannon.

RHIANNON : You never tell me anything these days. Dad d*ed, that was it, you were off. You couldn't wait. Like I did something wrong. I didn't, did I ?

IANTO : It's not that. It's my job, it's difficult, it's... (exhale, closed eyes. Open eyes look at her). He is very handsome.

RHIANNON : No !

IANTO : Now stop it.

RHIANNON : You're kidding me ! Really, though ? Really ?

Ianto is not keeping eye contact and is looking round more nervously than he did while extracting body organs.

RHIANNON : Christ almighty ! He's nice, though ? Is he ?

Ianto biting his lip.

RHIANNON : Is he ? Oh, my God. I mean, since when ?

IANTO : It's weird. It's just different. It's not... men. It's... it’s just him. It's only him. And I don't even know what it is, really. So... So I'm not broadcasting it.

RHIANNON : Oh, no, honest, I won't say. If you want it kept quiet, I swear, I won't say a word, I promise.

Door closes behind them. Johnny Davies walks in.

JOHNNY DAVIES : Aye aye, gay boy, she says you're taking it up the arse.

The look on Ianto’s face is priceless.

JOHNNY : Mica, will you get off that thing.

Rhiannon rubs her nose hide a bit of a grin.

IANTO (quietly) : Thanks.

JOHNNY : How've you been then, you smart bastard ?

Ianto gets up. Johnny grabs and bear hugs him. Ianto stands up straight and tries not to make argh noise. Johnny holds him at arms length. Car alarm wails.

JOHNNY : Eh, whose car is that outside then, is that you ? Black thing ?

IANTO : Oh, that’s the... That's the company car.

JOHNNY : You want to watch it on this estate, boy.

IANTO : No, it's fine, top of the range, it's got a triple-deadlock.

JOHNNY : Oh, aye, sounds like it.

Ianto turns. Big eyes. Pushes past Johnny and runs ! Car alarm and tyres screeching.

EXT DAY Davies's house

Ianto runs outside. More oh noes !

IANTO : Oh ! (Hands on head). But it's got a triple deadlock, they can't have !

JOHNNY (collecting loose bricks) : Nah cause what they do is see they drive round the block, then they come back for a lap of honour. The victory parade ! We get ‘em.

Brings bricks for Ianto.

IANTO : Uh, we should phone the police.

JOHNNY : Nah It's more fun this way.

Car horn.

JOHNNY : Right, here they come ! Get ready !

SUV comes around the corner. Someone moons them out the window. They’re yelling stuff, probably rude. Johnny shouts and chucks a brick.

DAVID (from upstairs window) : Yay !

RHIANNON : David ! Get inside ! Now !

IANTO : That's my car !

RHIANNON : Close the window I'm not telling you again, get inside. I'll take your computer off you, get in.

IANTO : That's my car.

INT DAY Mental hospital, office

Gwen and a uniformed lady nurse are watching Clement on a monitor.

NURSE : Timothy White. 52 years old. He's been with us three months. But he's got a history of being in and out of care all his life.

GWEN : Timothy White's. My mum used to shop there.

NURSE : Well If he's got a different name, he's never said. He spent 40 years living in Leeds, that's where he first came on record. Found homeless, living on the streets, at the age of 11.

GWEN : 11, bloody hell.

NURSE : No-one ever reported him missing. Apparently though, he did have a Scottish accent, back then. Gone now, but he was a long way lost.

INT DAY Mental hospital, interview room on camera

First a view through the security camera, Clement looking over his shoulder, seated at a table. Then Gwen and Clement opposite sides of that table. There’s pauses between most sentences, Gwen leaving room for Clement. He sits sideways on his chair and don’t look at her except out the corner of his eye.

GWEN : Can you remember the voice ? You said, "We are coming." Can you remember why ? D'you know what I think it was ? Aliens.

Clement reacts, looks at her. Looks away fast. Gwen tries to keep eye contact.

CLEMENT : There's no such thing.

GWEN : Those days are gone. I don't mean to scare you, because you're perfectly safe, but I think aliens are using you to speak. What d'you think ?

CLEMENT : No such thing. Isn't it, isn't it ?

GWEN : I've met aliens. It's part of my job. But I'm not the authorities, or the police, or the army. So anything you say is just between me and you. And I will believe you.

CLEMENT : Give me your hand.

Uncertain Gwen tries showing her hands above the table, empty. Pulls them back. Then offers one. Clem grabs, puts his face to it, sniffs loud and repeated. Gwen pulls her hand back but he follows across the table. Lets her go. Sits back down.

CLEMENT (surprised) : You're telling the truth.

GWEN : How can you tell ?

CLEMENT : I can smell it. You've... met them ?

GWEN : Dozens of them.

CLEMENT : Still not safe. Isn't it, isn't it ? They're watching.

Looks to blinking light on security camera. CCTV in the nurse office monitor. Nurse in her office reading something. Then back to Gwen, looking at that camera.

GWEN : Well, I can do something about that.

Pulls something from her pocket.

GWEN (finger on lips) : Shh, shh.

Her shiny pen thing makes the CCTV break.

CLEMENT : What's that thing ?

GWEN : The technical name is a gizmo.

He laughs. And then some more. A bit too much.

CLEMENT : Isn't it ?

GWEN : I think you've seen aliens too. What's your name ? What's your real name ? When did you last say your name ?

CLEMENT : Never.

GWEN : Then tell me.

CLEMENT : I was a kid.

GWEN : What happened ?

CLEMENT : They took us out. In the night. In the dark. Isn't it ? Isn't it ? They told us, they said we were going to a new home.

GWEN : Who did, who said ?

CLEMENT : The staff.

GWEN : A care home ?

CLEMENT : They drove us away for miles and miles.

Flashback image, blond boy on the bus from the teaser : Clement.

HIGH-PITCHED GIGGLING

Bus in the dark, boy at the window.

CLEMENT : They were there. In the sky.

GWEN : What did they look like ?

CLEM : Light.

White bright, flashback to the kids walking into the light.

CLEM : The light... took them.

GWEN : Took who ?

CLEMENT : My friends.

GWEN : But not you ?

CLEMENT : I ran. There was something, there was people, there was...

Flash : Soldier g*ns in the dark.

CLEM : Isn't it, isn't it, isn't it, isn't it ?

GWEN : You're all right, you're safe. OK ? You're safe now.

CLEMENT : But they're coming back. I've been smelling them for months. In the air. Long time coming.

GWEN : Tim, I can help. Look at me. I can help. If kids went missing, something's got to be written down and I will find it. But to do that, I need to know your name.

Cute hands fingers game conversation going on while she says that. He knocks hands back.

CLEMENT : I was Clem. Clement MacDonald.

GWEN : Hi, Clem.

Shakes hands.

CLEM : Hi.

GWEN : Where were you from ? It was somewhere in Scotland, do you remember ?

CLEM : Holly Tree.

GWEN : Holly Tree, now then is that a town, or a place, or... ?

CLEM : The Holly Tree.

GWEN : The Holly Tree is that where it happened ? Clem ? Was it ? What was the Holly Tree ? What was the Holly Tree ?

Sniff, loud.

CLEM : You're pregnant.

Gwen nods sympathy then... freeze.

GWEN : Sorry ?

CLEM : Yes, you are.

GWEN : No, I don't think so.

CLEM : Yes. I can smell it. Three weeks.

Run feet door slam open quick.

NURSE : Oh... Bloody hell, I've been running. That camera's gone off, it just went dead ! Still. No harm done, eh ? (Pause). Everything all right ?

GWEN : Yes. I'm fine, thank you.

NURSE : Right, well, I think you've had long enough. Time for your meds, isn't it, Tim ? If you don't mind.

GWEN : No. (whisper). Not at all.

CLEM : Congratulations.

She turns and leaves.

EXT DAY Mental hospital car park

Gwen walks out with phone pressed to ear.

GWEN : Ianto, I need a search on Clement MacDonald, could be M-C or M-A-C, and try the words "Holly Tree" and Scotland. We're looking at the 1960s, got that ?

INT HUB Computer area

Ianto hurries to computer and starts typing.

IANTO : Yeah.

GWEN : Then try the words Timothy White, with the option of Timothy White's, apostrophe S, like the shop.

IANTO : I lost the car.

EXT DAY Mental hospital car park

Gwen striding uninterrupted by actual listening.

GWEN : Yeah, and if you find anything, let me know straight away, don't wait for me to get back.

IANTO : These kids nicked it.

GWEN : Yeah, I'll see you later.

She stares big eyed blankly and opens her car door. He puts his phone away and does deep breaths. Computer screens doing squiggly lines.

INT DAY Mystery call centre, Ashton Control

Bloke in black with a headset sits at a computer desk; we always see him through a Greater London Map made of clear plastic and black print.

OPERATIVE : I've got a red flag on a Torchwood intercept, the name Clement MacDonald, can you trace it ?

MALE VOICE : Roger, Ashton, control initiating trace now.

EXT DAY London again

Closer on big building windows this time.

Lois looks suspiciously at stuff. Through the glass and blinds Bridget is meeting with Frobisher, her standing in front of his desk, him seated. Lois narrows eyes. She’s probably trying to lip-read. Staring.

FROBISHER : You'll find the names under 456.

BRIDGET : And what d'you want me to do ?

He has a beige folder and hands it over. She opens it. Ominous music ! Ominous blank piece of paper ! In a Classified folder. Bridget looks up. Looks at Frobisher. Mouth firm. Sharp nod. Closes folder and goes out. He stares straight ahead for a long time. Then he picks up his pen and caps it. Presumably from not writing on that blank page.

Bridget sits down and types some stuff. Two fingered. Lois watches. Bridget finger stabs the enter button decisively. Gets up and walks away. Curious Lois still has post it of we’re all getting fired for computer security. Logs in as Bridget. Gets her emails. Sent messages and really tense music.

Subject : Blank Page. To : (?) ORDER TO k*ll : Colonel Michael Sanders (ret.d). Ellen Hunt. Captain Andrew Staines. Captain Jack Harkness (active).

EXT DAY Hospital car park

Pretty blue sports car with no lid. Jack swooshes in to a parking space. Climbs out. Rupesh runs to meet him. Jack starts the conversation loudly in the car park.

JACK : I promise, we can zap these kid's memories so they won't remember a thing, no side effects.

RUPESH : But There's been another death.

INT DAY Hospital corridor with metal cage thingies for storing stuff in.

Rupesh briefs Jack as they walk.

RUPESH : Mr Chow Lee Jee, chinese again. He came in with a nosebleed that wouldn't stop. Next thing you know, it's been diagnosed as a brain haemorrhage, he d*ed at 16.25.

INT DAY Mortuary room with stylish plastic curtains

A black man in a hospital uniform steps up to stop them.

RUPESH : Sorry, he's with me. Dr Patanjali, A&E. We just need to check Mr Chow Lee Jee.

JACK : Well, he hasn't gone missing.

RUPESH : I can see that.

JACK : Need to run a toxicology scan. Not on the NHS, we've got much better equipment. Pupil's blown, that corresponds with a brain haemorrhage, though it could be induced artificially. No sign of trauma to the skin, apart from bruising, but that’s...

Rupesh with g*n and g*nsh*t. Sudden Jack death. Jack falls onto the other dead guy, then slumps to the floor. Close up of g*n. Rupesh’s hand is shaking a lot. He lowers the g*n. Breathing heavy.

RUPESH : Get them in. Seal off the area.

Black man in uniform leaves through plastic. A lot of black clothed men with weapons and helmets run in. They carry lights and biohazard tape to seal the place. Some pick up dead Jack and put him on the newly vacated morgue table.

RADIO VOICE : Mission move out.

INT DAY Ashton Control

Headset guy is watching his screens again.

HIGHER RADIO VOICE : All units.

OPERATIVE : The name Clement MacDonald hasn't been active for 44 years, but here he is. Torchwood's found him under the name of Timothy White.

INT DAY Hospital corridor

A woman equipped like the men but without the big g*n and helmet walks with a soldier man on each side. She holds the front of her jacket to speak to Ashton Control.

JOHNSON : That's way beyond coincidence. Bring him in.

INT DAY Mental hospital

Clem sniffs. Significantly. Sniff, sniff, sniff.

INT DAY Hospital mortuary

Johnson swishes through the plastic curtains. Many black uniforms are standing on guard with their big g*ns. Rupesh is slumped against the wall with his little one. He sees her, stands, follows her in. Hands his g*n off to a soldier.

RUPESH : Who changed the plan ? I spent months researching that. And they believed me ! Perfect infiltration, I thought you wanted me inside Torchwood to see what they've got in there.

JOHNSON : Who k*lled the Chinese man ?

RUPESH : I did, I had to, it was perfect timing, he just fitted the story.

JOHNSON : Then get off your high horse, yeah ? Any sign yet ?

RUPESH : Not so far. D'you think it's true ? What they say about him ?

Jack revival ! Jack’s dramatic timing great as ever. Johnson draws and fires before Jack’s finished his second breath. Cold.

RUPESH : He was dead.

JOHNSON : Now he's dead again. And we'll keep k*lling him till he's ready. Get him prepared.

HOSPITAL UNIFORM : Yes, Ma'am.

RUPESH : How the hell does he do it ?

Close-up. Unbutton Jack’s shirt from the trouser line up.

JOHNSON : No-one knows. Theory would suggest it's connected to the Torchwood Hub. That Rift thing. Which makes the whole place a target.

Jack shirt being pushed up, belly on display.

RUPESH : What changed the orders ?

JOHNSON : The children.

She gets out a laser saw and has a go at Jack’s abdomen. Great big gaping slice.

EXT NIGHT Mental hospital

Black jeeps with blue lights pull up outside. Pretty clock tower above. On my screen resolution I can’t tell if it’s 8pm or midnight.

INT NIGHT Mental hospital

Clem sniffs. Stands up. Looks up into camera directly above him.

Police get out the black jeeps, putting their uniform hats on.

INT NIGHT Mental hospital

Clem twitches and stares up and is very worried. Run ! A Nurse in uniform leads the two police in to a room with only people who are not Clem.

Reckon it’s the back way cause there’s a wheelchair ramp. Clem escapes through the clever expedient of running away.

INT NIGHT Hospital mortuary

Jack still pretty dead.

JOHNSON : Sealing him up.

Laser saw blue does the party trick uncutting again.

JOHNSON : Closing down.

Hands saw to a soldier.

JOHNSON : Everybody out ! Put him back where he was.

Busy yet coordinated action, everyone leaving.

RUPESH : He’s gonna wonder where I've gone. How are we gonna cover that ?

JOHNSON : How d'you mean ?

RUPESH : Well, he's gonna try and trace me.

JOHNSON : You're not disappearing.

RUPESH : Yeah, but I've got to, he's gonna...

Face of "oh sh*t" as Rupesh slowly realises. Stare at each other. Rupesh is Scared. Runs ! Out through the plastic ! Johnson turns around unhurried.

INT NIGHT Hospital corridor

Rupesh legs it, towards soldiers. Johnson steps out and gets her g*n.

JOHNSON : Sides !

Soldiers step to sides smartly. Johnson aims, fires. Dead Rupesh. g*n down. g*n away.

Soldiers carry Rupesh back in and dump him next to Jack. Chinese man is back on the table. Neat and tidy. Soldiers leave fast, Jack’s eyelids twitching. Jack gasp back to life.

Soldiers take the biohazard tape down. Johnson leaves last. All neat and efficient, quick march.

Jack, panting, turns over : Dead Rupesh.

Johnson takes one last look back.

Jack checks for pulse.

JACK : Oh, no.

Gets up, runs out.

INT HUB Computer area

Gwen walks in. Ianto is at his computer.

IANTO : Result ! There was a Holly Tree Lodge just outside Arbroath. It's a hotel now, but, up until 1965, it was a state-run orphanage. And they had a Clement MacDonald !

Gwen has walked straight past Ianto without a speck of attention paid. She heads for the autopsy bay. Ianto just keeps talking. She gets equipment out.

IANTO : He was taken into care, april 1965, after his mother d*ed. No father on record. In november 1965, he was transferred, along with... Oh.

EXT NIGHT Outside the tourist office entrance

Jack goes down steps heading for the door. A man leaning on the railing watches. And talks to his watch.

RAILING MAN : Over to control. Harkness now approaching door one, over.

EXT NIGHT Black jeep full of Johnson

Johnson in passenger seat.

JOHNSON : He's inside ! We don't know how deep that place goes. Give it five. Over.

INT HUB Autopsy bay

Gwen is very focused on medical equipment. Gwen puts her hand on a flatbed scanner. The light bar goes across. It is magic and can see her whole body that way. Gwen does headtilt. On the wall projection there’s a little red blip. A little red blip in the pelvic region.

INT HUB Cog door

Jack comes in.

JACK : We need damage control at St Helen's. One body. Dr Rupesh Patanjali. sh*t in the back.

IANTO : What happened ?

JACK : I don't know. He was just left there right beside me. Like someone's gloating.

IANTO : Did they k*ll you ?

JACK : Yeah.

Ianto moves in for Awkward manly hug with back patting.

JACK : Maybe we're being targeted. Whether it was him or me, we should be careful, better tell Gwen.

IANTO : She's back, she's in the lab.

JACK : Gwen !

INT HUB Autopsy bay

Jack walks in.

JACK : Boy, have I had a day.

Blinky shock face. Joining Gwen’s big eyed shock face. Hand still on the scanner, little red blip clearly in the hip type place on a female figure on the wall projection.

JACK : Oh, my God. Is that... ?

Gwen takes her hand off the scanner. She’s still staring at the wall. Jack comes down the steps to her. She looks round at him with seriously big eyes.

JACK : How long ?

GWEN : Three weeks.

Turn together to look at the wall again.

JACK : That's good, isn't it ?

Her flat mouth and big eyes of shock are not an obvious good yet. Looking at each other and back, checking.

JACK : From where I'm standing it... looks good to me.

GWEN : Yeah. Bloody hell. It's brilliant !

Smiles break out ! Big Jack smiles !

JACK : Ianto ! We're having a baby !

Ianto runs in all happy too.

JACK : Have you told Rhys ?

GWEN : I've only just found out myself.

JACK : Oh, you told me before you told him, he is gonna love that.

IANTO : Congratulations.

Gwen still staring with puzzle face and happy.

IANTO : Would now be a good time to tell you I lost the car ?

JACK : You did what ?!

GWEN : That is just bloody spectacular ! But what about this place, and my job ?

Jack puts reassuring hand on Gwen’s on the scanner.

JACK : We'll manage. We always do.

Scanner scans. Siren.

GWEN : What the hell is that ?

Big red death star in Jack’s hips... it’s that or go for a big red balls joke… Sirens and alert on the screen.

JACK : Oh, my God.

IANTO : There's a b*mb, there's a b*mb inside your stomach.

Everyone there can see that, but I guess some announcements just need saying.

JACK : Get out.

GWEN : No !

JACK : Both of you.

GWEN : No !

JACK : Right now !

IANTO : It has a blast radius of one mile !

JACK : Right now ! Get out !

GWEN : Look there must be something we can do. Look We can stop it. We can fix this OK, we can rip it out of you.

JACK : I'm telling you. Get out !

IANTO : It's active. Two minutes !

GWEN : I can't just run, Jack.

JACK : You're pregnant.

She stares, steps back, and just runs.

INT NIGHT Frobisher's house

Kids in matching girly pink bathrobes now. Mum Anna and dad Frobisher do Worry.

HOLLY / LILLY : We are coming. We are coming.

ANNA : John ! John !

HOLLY / LILLY : We are coming. We are coming.

INT NIGHT Carter's house

Steven stares. Alice is worried.

STEVEN : We are coming. We are coming.

INT NIGHT Davies's house

Concerned Rhiannon and Johnny watch David.

DAVID : We are coming. We are coming. We are coming.

INT HUB Computers

Ianto typing away.

RECORDED VOICE : Lockdown.

JACK : Ianto, you're going to get locked inside.

COMPUTER VOICE : Torchwood lockdown.

Big cog door Made in Wales rolls closed solidly.

JACK : Ianto ! Then you...

Jack grabs Ianto and drags him. Both desperate.

IANTO : There must be a way to override the mechanism.

JACK : For God's sake, get out !

IANTO : There'll be nothing left of you !

JACK : I can survive anything.

Bundles him onto the invisible lift. As he swings round Ianto grabs and kisses. Serious intense kiss with grabbing. But fast. Jack lets go and backs away. Hits buttons. Invisible lift rises. They keep eye contact all the way up. Ianto rises up towards the complicated roof mechanism.

RECORDED VOICE : Torchwood lockdown. Torchwood lockdown.

JACK : I'll come back. I always do.

INT NIGHT Carter's house

ALICE : Stop it, Steven. Stop it.

FROBISHER : Stop it !

FROBISHER : Stop it ! Stop it !

Frobisher collapses to his knees, frantic and frightened.

EXT NIGHT Tourist entrance

Gwen is out and running. Heavy breathing.

INT HUB Lift

Jack looks up, Ianto rises. Ianto reaches down to him. Jack has his hand on his wrist strap. Long longing sort of look. Jack looks down, to the computer. 00:04. 00:03. Jack closes his eyes.

EXT NIGHT Cardiff

Gwen runs in the night. BOOM ! Really giant exploding ! Gwen flies forward and falls ! Lands, gasping, fire around her.

CHILDREN : We are coming... back.

END