4x01 - The New World

All episode transcripts for the TV show "Torchwood". Aired 22nd October, 2006 to 15th September, 2011.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

"Torchwood" follows the exploits of the members of the Cardiff-based, fictional Torchwood Institute, a secret organization founded by the British Crown, which deals mainly with incidents involving extraterrestrials.

4x01 - The New World

Post by bunniefuu »

[ EXT. Montrose Hill State Penitentiary ]

( Action Six News are showing helicopter footage of a United States penitentiary in Jacksonville, Kentucky. The caption reads: 'Breaking news, Oswald Danes to be ex*cuted at 6AM.' )

Newsreader: 6AM is the appointed time of death as laid down by the state of Kentucky. Oswald Danes faces his last moments on this earth. Members of the public have gathered outside the Montrose Hill state penitentiary, but the planned protests against the death sentence have failed to appear, which isn't surprising given the nature of the offence...

( A fair haired man in an orange prison outfit stares into space. This is Danes. )

Newsreader: A former schoolteacher convicted in 2006 convicted of the r*pe and m*rder of 12 year old Susie Cabina, Dane will be remembered for his infamous line of defence. Upon his arrest, he told the police "She shoulda run faster."

[ Execution chamber ]

( There are lots of crazy camera angles as we take in the glassed off public gallery, the microphone in the ceiling, the young cop attending Danes and Officer Cole, an older white man with a walrus moustache. )

Cole: The condemned is permitted to make a final statement. D'you have anything to say?

[ CIA Analysts Office / Car ]

( Dane is lying on the bed. He lifts his head from the pillow to make eye contact with a short haired woman in the public gallery. This is Susie Cabina's mother. He says nothing. Cole leaves the room and we see plungers being depressed in close-up as the lethal injection makes its pale green way along the tube to Dane's body. For a moment, it looks peaceful, then his head jerks back violently. He makes choking noises and starts pulling against his restraints. A moment later he has pulled an entire armrest off the table in his frenzy. The cops return to the room. Cole restrains Dane while the younger cop pulls a curtain across the window, blocking the view from the public gallery. We cut to a close up of a woman's mouth )

Esther: Did you ever hear of Torchwood?

( A black man is driving a car through extremely heavy rain. This is Rex Matheson of the CIA. )

Matheson: Never mind that. Guess what I just heard. You know Steve Reynolds? Well it turns out his wife is sick. She has leukemia or something like that. Whatever it is, it sounded long term.

( Back to Esther, a twenty-something CIA employee with her blonde hair in a ponytail. She is staring at a computer screen. In the background we can see her colleagues at their workstations. Everybody looks busy. )

Esther: It's British. The Torchwood Institute.

Matheson: Hello? Are you listening? Y'see if Steve's got to come home, that leaves a space in Venezuela and I spent 18 months working out the Maricaibo routes. So it's mine! Ha ha ha! I get promoted.

Esther: Congratulations.

Matheson: Thank you.

Esther: ( Chiding ) Steve's only been married six months.

Matheson: What do you want from me? It's a tragedy.

Esther: All the same this might be worth following.

( On her screen we can see a single email containing the word 'Torchwood' in a big font. A search results screen on the right lists headlines: "Cardiff Mass Hysteria", "Fire In The Sky Over London Eye", "Government Denies Torchwood Cover Up". She opens the news stories and reads. )

Esther: The word Torchwood has just been emailed to every East Coast section chief completely bypassing security. Just one word: Torchwood.

( The analyst on the next desk is a young black man named Noah Vickers. He tries to get Esther's attention. From the desk behind him we can hear an older, blonde agent names Charlotte Wills on the phone. )

Noah: Following up this Torchwood incident, just wondering if you can access the EU files?

Charlotte: No it's not Touchwood, it's Torchwood. Tee, oh, are, see, aitch double you--

Matheson: So what is Torchwood anyway?

Esther: I've looked it up. There's some pretty freaky stuff, I'll send it to you now.

( She pulls up a dialogue box. "Sending to: R Matheson" but when she hits send, she gets a security alert. )

Matheson: Well it sounds more like intelligence, not clandestine.

Noah: Are you getting this?

( Computers start failing all over the room. )

Matheson: And if it's got the title Institute that means it's been officially sanctioned by the UK government, which is a big hassle, because as we all know, that administration is like kindergarten.

Esther: It's gone. It just got wiped, like a virus. It just vanished.

Matheson: Okay, well I guess that's that. Now go ask around about Steve's wife. Get a proper diagnosis. We need a timeline on this. And pass that Torchwood thing onto somebody else, it has absolutely nothing to do with me.

( An huge lorry is speeding through the rain, then brakes suddenly. We see the wheels judder around as it comes to a stop and four metal poles are flung from the back of the truck and through Matheson's windshield. Three miss him, but we see the fourth come out the back of his seat red with blood. )

Matheson: Eeyargh!

Esther: Rex? Rex?

( And as Rex stares at the pole sticking through his chest in disbelief, we cut to Gwen waking up in a darkened room in Wales. )

[ Bedroom ]

( She sits up with a gasp and looks around wild eyed for a moment. Rhys is lying beside her still half asleep and doesn't open his eyes. )

Rhys: You okay?

Gwen: Yeah. Yeah. Dunno. Just... bad dream.

Rhys: What about?

Gwen: Oh, what d'you think?

( She flops back down onto the bed. )

Gwen: Torchwood.

Torchwood
Season 4 Episode 1
The New World
Original air date: July 14, 2011

[ City General Hospital in Washington, DC. ]

( Two male paramedics are pushing a gurney. Lying on his side on the gurney is Matheson. He has to lie on his side because the iron bar is still sticking out on either side of his torso, although it's been cut down so that there are now only six inches either side. He's wearing an oxygen mask and is covered in blood. )

Paramedic: His pulse is fast and weak. Systolic BP of seventy. Beats me how he's still alive.

( Matheson is still conscious and does not look comforted by this comment. A Latina doctor joins the team with the gurney. This is Doctor Vera Juarez. )

Vera: Rex, my name is Doctor Juarez, okay? We're taking you straight into surgery. Do you understand?

( Esther appears behind the gurney. )

Esther: Is he okay? His name is Rex Matheson.

Vera:Are you family?

Esther: No I'm just a colleague. We work in the same department.

Vera: Family only.

( Esther is left behind as they head into surgery. )

Vera: He's the second one tonight, DOAs who just won't die.

Paramedic: We had a jumper this afternoon. Twenty two floors. Everything pulverised. Pneumothorax, both sides. Same thing. Just wouldn't die.

( Matheson stares up at the bright lights in the operating theatre. The white overwhelms the screen. Further credits play over the next section. )

[ Welsh Farm ]

( We come back in on ariel footage of a craggy coastline on a grey day. You can tell from the weather that it's Wales. We move in on an isolated cottage. Gwen and Rhys are in the garden. Rhys is raking. Gwen is watching the helicopter flying overhead. )

Rhys: Don't be so suspicious.

Gwen: What they flying past for?

Rhys: Because they can. It's a free country. Just looking. Now stop it.

( A title credit informs us that this is Wales, UK, 8AM. )

[ INT. Farmhouse ]

( Gwen is feeding a baby and talking to her. )

Gwen: So I went outside all on my own. Twas midnight. Not a sound to be heard. And I looked up and a woman came out out of the sky. Ah. Shining she was like moonlight. Her eyes were white. blazing white. And then she started to sing like a thousand choirs. One woman with a thousand voices and it was beautiful.

( Rhys enters behind her )

Rhys: That's enough don't you think?

Gwen: Who's being paranoid now?

Rhys: You promised me you'd keep her away from this stuff.

Gwen: Yeah, well. Be fair. She's too young. She thinks it's all jut a fairy tale.

Rhys: It was a nightmare, Gwen. Your life back then was a living nightmare love.

( There is a knock at the door. They both tense instantly. )

Rhys: ( whispering ) There's somebody at the door.

Gwen: Ssh!

Rhys: ( whispering ) What do we...

Gwen: ( whispering ) You and...

( There is some frantic pointing as they silently communicate their plans. Then there is another knock and they spring into action as dramatic music plays. They both move quickly towards wardrobes that have been converted into weapons stores. Gwen grabs and loads a p*stol. Rhys picks up a shotgun. The baby watches all this with interest. Rhys stands to one side of the doorway with the r*fle at the ready and smiles at the baby. )

Rhys: Ssh.

( Gwen opens the door with the p*stol held behind her back. It's a couple of elderly ramblers in bobble hats and sensible shoes. )

Ramblers: Hi. Hello. Sorry.

( Unseen by the hikers Rhys rolls his eyes and exhales. )

Male rambler: Hope we're not disturbing you. Just wondering. if we're going back to the village is it quicker to go back across the beach or will we get cut off at this time of day? Better to ask I thought just in case.

Female hiker: We have got proper shoes. We can get across nice and quickly.

Gwen: It's private property. I'm busy.

( She closes the door on them. And goes to watch from the window as they leave. )

Rhys: ( putting on a west country accent ) Get off my land!

Gwen: Shh. Oh my god, I could have sh*t them.

Rhys: Hey, hey. We're safe sweetheart. No one knows we're here. All that stuff's long since gone. No more Torchwood, right?

Gwen: Yeah okay.

Rhys: It's gone. Forgotten, eh?

Gwen: Yeah, all right. Sorry okay.

Rhys: Come here.

( He kisses her. At the bottom of the drive, the ramblers look back up at the cottage. We hear another helicopter as we cut to ariel footage of the capitol building at night, making the title card saying "Washington DC, USA, 3AM" at least partly redundant. )

[ Hospital ]

( Esther is sitting in a darkened waiting room with her head in her hands. Juarez appears in the doorway. )

Vera: Popular man, Rex Matheson. We've had three different station chiefs on the phone. No sign of his family?

Esther: We only have a number for his father. I left a message, but nobody's called back. Is he..?

Vera: No. No, he made it. He's alive.

Esther: God, I... Thank you, I... The paramedics said he didn't stand a chance.

Vera: Well, looks like sombody's changed the rules. Miracles got... easy.

( They walk through the hospital together )

Vera: It's not only Rex who's still alive. So is everyone else.

Esther: Sorry, I don't get you.

Vera: It started last night. First I knew, they called up from the morgue, they were laughing. They said 'What's happening up there, you on strike?' Turns out no one had d*ed. 24 hours since this hospital had a death. Not one. Not from old age, not from injury, not from sickness. All day long.

Esther: Just a coincidence I suppose.

Vera: That's what I said, yeah. Then I was on a call to St Jude's in Chicago. And they said 'Well, here's a funny thing: Past 24 hours, we've registered no deaths, not one.' So I called my ex-husband. He's at Cedarbrook. Same story. All day, no deaths. I tried London. I have this friend at the Royal Free Hospital. I called her, she said 'That's weird. It's the same thing over here.' Twenty four hours. No one's d*ed. What do you think of that? Hmm? One lucky day.

AWM Reporter: The survival of Oswald Danes turns out to be the first incident in a much bigger story breaking live this morning.

Male Anchor: When the Kentucky Medical Authority made a chance comment that it hadn't recorded a single death over twenty four hours...

Senior male anchor: Seventeen more authorities immediately reported the same thing. The story exploded on social network sites.

( Speaking Spanish )

AWM Reporter: .. miracle trending as the number one topic. From Maine to California, the story is the same.

Male Anchor: For the past thirty six hours...

Both: .. no fatalities have been reported.

Reporter: No one has d*ed.

Male anchor 2: Not one person in the United States...

Male Anchor: Not a single death.

All: Miracle Day.

Senior male anchor: Miracle Day. That's what's being called.

Male Anchor: Miracle Day.

[ Montrose Hill State Penitentiary visiting room ]

( Buzzer sounds )

Peterssen: Mister Danes, I'm Alexander Peterssen representing the governor's office.

Danes: What, I don't get a personal visit?

Peterssen: I'm afraid not, given the circumstances. But the governor's office would like to offer its condolences without an admission of liability for any physical distress caused by events beyond its control.

Danes: Condolences? He can't just say sorry?

Peterssen: You have to respect his position. You're a convicted pedophile, sir, and a convicted m*rder*r. By your own admission, you took the life of a twelve year old girl, so the governor's apology is always gonna be within certain limits.

Danes: When are you gonna let me go?

Peterssen: Well, I don't think that's possible.

Danes: I've served my sentence.

Peterssen: Granted, the execution was flawed, but that doesn't defer the sentence. With respect, you don't reprieve a man you failed to hang because the rope snapped.

Danes: Indeed. And with respect, that particular aphorism applies only for an execution which has failed.

Peterssen: And that's you.

Danes: On the contrary, I would maintain, and my lawyers would maintain, my sentence was carried out successfully. Nothing went wrong absolutely nothing. The fact that life and the laws of life on this Earth have changed is hardly my fault.

Peterssen: Society is full of out there laws, Mister Danes. Nonetheless, they still apply.

Danes: That's right, Mister Peterssen. And when considering the persistence of the law, then the Eighth Amendment clearly forbids the application of cruel and unusual punishment such as mine alongside the Fifth Amendment and I quote, "Nor shall any person be subject for the same offense twice." The Founding Fathers practically had me in mind when they wrote the Constitution. Don't you think though? Don't you think? Because I can guarantee, Mister Peterssen, that when I talk of lawyers, I mean the team who will be suing the governor and I mean the governor himself. Not his office, but the actual man. They will be suing him for wrongful imprisonment. And I promise you that they will sue his ass to high heaven till angels sing songs of him in their laments. Is that clear?

Peterssen: Perfectly.

Danes: Then go tell him, because with every passing second that's a million dollars more. Mister Peterssen, thank you. Thank you very much.

[ CIA Analysts Office ]

Charlotte: Hey. Heard about Rex. Is he okay?

Esther: Yeah. Thought it was a miracle, turns out it's everyone. Did you get any more on that Torchwood thing?

Charlotte: No, it's been shut down. Orders of Brian Friedkin? Goes through his office only. Case closed.

Esther: But what was it? 'Cause the way those files disappeared...

Charlotte: The world changed overnight, yeah? Some old British thing is not on the top of the list.

Esther: Torchwood. If that wasn't a virus, it's got to be some sort of malware.

Noah: It's like nothing I've ever seen. The word Torchwood is vanished. It's been eradicated. If you search for Torchwood, you get no results. Nothing gets no results.

Esther: Then there's got to be something on paper.

Noah: The shelves are bare. It's all gone to Friedkin. I asked Yvonne. ( Clears throat ) She said it was classified under the 456 regulations. She said you want to stay away.

Esther: Why?

Noah: They all d*ed. So the story goes. Anyone that worked for Torchwood was k*lled in action. And they d*ed young.

[ Hospital room ]

Nurse: Seen the TV? ( Gulps ) It's not just you.

( TV turns on )

Woman on TV: This goes beyond America. It's worldwide. You've got the same reports from Europe, from Asia, from Africa.

Man: Every death is different. You can't suspend death like it's a fixed concept. This goes against the fundamental rules of life on Earth. They sh*t him! They sh*t my brother like bam, bam, bam, but you know, he's still alive and his heart's still going. He reached out.

WNKW: Whether it's a disease or an experiment or a project gone wrong, it's obvious we're the victims now. We're the lab rats.

Angry nurse (on TV): These people are dead. That's what they are. Dead people sitting up in bed. They terrify me. I'm not touching them. I'm sorry, but they should be corpses. That's what they are, living corpses.

( Velcro rips )

( Groans )

( Beeping )

( Groans )

( Beeping faster )

( Sobbing )

Vera: The metal missed the spine, but the pericardium was lacerated and a coronary artery was crushed and thrombosed. That's the one in your leg. I had to transplant a section of vein from your thigh.

Rex: But how did I survive?

Vera: I... don't know. But even when your heart stopped b*ating, the process continued. The process of life, the viability of the flesh, the transfer of oxygen. It just didn't stop.

Rex: But do I get better? Do I heal? Or do I just hurt for the rest of my life? Because if this thing keeps going, the rest of my life is forever, right?

Vera: Rex, now listen to me. 'Cause you might want to take something under consideration. That maybe you were lucky. ( Scoffs ) You should've d*ed last night, but when this thing happened, the miracle, it gave me time to fix you. Without the miracle, you'd be dead.

Rex: It's like someone cast a spell over the whole world. But what happens when it stops, huh? What happens to me then? Do I die?

[ Farmhouse ]

Rhys: Oh, you are so cheating.

( Laughs )

Gwen: Cheating? How can I cheat painting a wall? Only a man could turn this into a competition.

Rhys: You just went whoosh.

Gwen: Well, look, whoosh.

Rhys: With one stroke. That's hardly a coat.

( Phone rings )

Gwen: Oh, bollocks. Oh bollocks, bollocks.

Rhys: It might be nothing.

Gwen: There's only one reason why that phone could ring. Look, where have you put it? Where have you put it?

Rhys: It's in here, it's in here.

Gwen: What is it? What is happened?

[ Cardiff ]

Andy: This is Sergeant Davison with a phone-in report of one suspect, male, in the vicinity of Saint Helen's Hospital, Cardiff City. Suggest rendezvous at 02:00 hours in the agreed position.

( Beeps )

[ Farmhouse ]

Gwen: It's my dad. He's in hospital. Uh, I've got to see him. I'm sorry, Rhys. We've got to go back.

[ CIA Archive ]

Archivist: Friedkin's office took all the Torchwood files, cleared us out.

Esther: I know. He sent me the double check. 'Cause files get left behind, and especially if there's a hard copy inside an associated pile. That sort of thing always gets missed. Just need to check on all the associations.

Archivist: Okay.

Esther: Not sure where to begin.

Archivist: Better find out then.

Esther: Right. Okay. Thanks.

( Sighs )

( Rips )

Esther: ( Softly ) 456. 456. 456. 456!

( Rips )

Jack: Come with me.

( Gurgles )

( Clangs )

Jack: Down!

( Groaning )

Esther: Oh, my God. Is he gonna die?

Jack: Don't worry about it. No one dies these days.

Assassin: You want to bet?

( Pants )

( Coughing )

Jack: Whoa. Anyway, Captain Jack Harkness. Nice to meet you.

[ Outside the CIA Archive ]

( Sirens blaring )

Jack: Here you go.

Esther: That man...

Jack: He was after me, not you.

Esther: Why? Why would he want you dead?

Jack: On the very day that no one's dying? Wish I knew. And what got you so involved?

Esther: I'm not even authorized for this, but this friend of mine, I was telling him about Torchwood and he crashed his car while I was talking to him. And I can't help but thinking that it's all my fault.

Jack: I know the feeling.

Esther: So what is Torchwood?

( Sighs )

Jack: Torchwood no longer exists.

Esther: Then what was it? Because there were photos in that file of a man who looked just like you, but it said 1939, then 1925. Is he your father?

Jack: I suppose it must be.

Esther: Are you all right?

Jack: Yeah. I hurt my arm.

Esther: Considering what we just went through, I would say that was a miracle.

Jack: Yeah, another one. The Torchwood Institute was set up by the British royal family in 1879 to defend the realm of Great Britain by investigating the unusual, the strange and the alien.

Esther: I'm kind of guessing "alien" doesn't mean foreign.

Jack: Alien as in extraterrestrial.

Esther: Oh, my God.

Jack: This whole situation worldwide, that's exactly the kind of thing we used to investigate.

Esther: Torchwood, they said that people d*ed, but there was that other photo. Gwen Cooper. There was no date of death.

Jack: She's still alive. The last one left. And I'm gonna keep her safe, which means making sure that the Institute stays dead and buried.

Esther: So that first email last night, the one that just said Torchwood?

Jack: Wasn't me. God knows who it was. But that was enough to call me back, and I got to work releasing the malware, destroying hard copies, removing all traces of the word, using Retcon. What's Retcon?

Esther: What's Retcon?

Jack: It's a smart drug. Selective amnesia.

Esther: No.

Jack: You won't remember a thing. Nice to meet you, Esther.

[ Hospital room / Corridor ]

WVBS Reporter: The fire at the CIA archive is now under control...

Rex: An expl*si*n right at our doorstep. It's a gift. Now take a look at the victims. Are they dead or not?

Vera: You're not the first to think of it, Mister Matheson. Now, you can stop running the case from a hospital bed.

Rex: Wait, wait, wait, what are you talking about? Who else is there?

Vera: I really can't talk.

Rex: Who else is onto this?

Vera: I'll check the Ringmain.

Rex: The what? Hello?

Jack: FBI.

[ Hospital room ]

Rex: Hey, my man, what the hell is the Ringmain?

Male Nurse: It's the internal cameras. Security system, that's all.

( Huffs )

( Phone keys beep )

( Groans )

Rex: Yeah. Yeah, this is Rex Matheson with the CIA. Put me on with your chief of security. Yeah, right now.

[ Mortuary ]

Santini: Session begins supervised by attending surgeon Professor Victor Louis Santini and witnesses to be listed in the hospital register. The purpose of this enquiry is to determine. Well, as you'll see, following the expl*si*n at the CIA archive...

[ Hospital room ]

Rex: Got it.

[ Mortuary ]

Santini: One of the victims has been...

( Man groaning )

( Squishing )

Santini: Yes, I think we can. I'm sorry. They brought me in as an expert, but I don't know what the hell this is.

Santini: We think this man was right at the centre of the blast, and yet he's still alive. Clearly, the skin is burnt. He's not indestructible, just undying. ( Groans ) Everliving. We're going to need a new vocabulary. But we're getting the same results from all over the world.

Vera: Is that actual consciousness? It seems like he's still aware.

Jack: Excuse me, I was wondering. Owen Harper, FBI. But what if you detach the head? I mean, would he stay alive without his head?

Santini: I suggest we find out.

Vera: Excuse me. you can't do that. I mean you literally can't. This man is not dead. He's our patient.

Santini: Your comments have been noted, Doctor Juarez. Now, shall we begin?

Vera: ( Whispers ) Oh my God.

Santini: Don't tell me this is a virus or evolution or whatever. This is deliberate intervention. I mean, all of us have been changed by design.

Vera: But how? Who could do this?

Santini: Well, who's got the technology? Simple answer: No one on this Earth.

[ Cardiff ]

( Sirens blaring distantly )

( People speaking softly )

Gwen: What the hell?

Andy: Long time no see.

Gwen: Oh, my God. Hey.

Andy: And you, big lunk. Daddy Day Care. Look at her. So your father had a mild heart att*ck on Saturday night and then a second on the Sunday, and that was quite bad, to be honest. But he's stable now. He's out of ICU. Funny thing is, if you're gonna get sick, he didn't half choose the right day.

Gwen: What do you mean?

Andy: Look at them. They're all gathering around the hospitals like they're the new churches. I'm not kidding. We've had doctors being worshipped since Miracle Day.

Gwen: What's Miracle Day?

Andy: Are you kidding me? Haven't you heard?

Gwen: Heard what?

Andy: Come on. It started two nights ago. People stopped dying. They still get hurt, sick, they just won't die.

[ Cardiff hospital room ]

Mary: Oh, you silly girl. I said stay away.

Gwen: How could I do that, Mam?

Mary: What if someone sees you? It's not safe. You told me. What if someone's watching?

Mary: Oh, look at her. Come here. ( Chuckles ) Oh, good God, she's enormous.

Rhys: That's your grandma, remember?

Mary: How could she? Never sees me, does she? Not since the day she was born. ( Fussing ) Oh, hey, come see your granddad.

Gwen: Hi, Dad. Hey. It's me. Hello.

Geraint: You shouldn't have.

Gwen: Well, there we are, then. Tough. ( Chuckles ) And you can stop all this nonsense, okay? I want you up and out this bed, lazy old thing.

( Laughs )

( Baby coos )

Geraint: Ah, there she is. Princess.

Mary: Look at her though. She's huge.

Gwen: She's perfectly normal, Mam.

Mary: I thought you were being frugal. What are you feeding her, lard?

Gwen: Yes, Mam. I'm feeding her lard. Keep telling her that, and by the time she's thirteen, she'll have a complete psychological complex.

Rhys: Stop it now, you two.

Mary: Sorry.

Gwen: It's okay.

Mary: What do you think it is, Gwen? What happened to us? This never-ending life, what is it?

Geraint: Should I be dead, sweetheart?

Gwen: I don't know, Dad.

Geraint: It's the sort of thing your lot used to tackle.

Gwen: Yeah, but Torchwood's gone, Dad. There's no one else left on Earth, just me. ( Sobs ) Okay? And I'm sorry, ( weeping ) because I don't know what to do. I don't know what to do, Dad.

[ Nurse's station ]

Gwen: It's all over the world the world. Look. Look at this. Somalia has stopped fighting.

Andy: Warfare is even worse when the bodies refuse to die. But take a look at North Korea. Huh, spoiling for a fight. They've got a lot of soldiers who think they're immortal.

Gwen: But this miracle, it's specifically human. I mean, it's got to be. This website says if insects stopped dying, we'd be overrun within forty eight hours flat. And that hasn't happened. So this thing is being targeted at us.

Andy: Have a look-see. Budge over. I've missed all this.

Gwen: I haven't.

Andy: It's quiet without you.

Gwen: Oh, tch.

Andy: Here we go, look. Planet Earth. On average, three hundred thousand people die every day. So if they stop dying, that's an extra what, million people in just over three days. Add to that five hundred thousand people born every day.

Gwen: That's another million every two days plus the first million. Bloody hell.

Andy: That's the fastest population boom in history.

Gwen: We're gonna run out of room.

Andy: We'll run out of food first. A guy on the telly was saying we've got four months like this. Just four months, and then that's it, society just collapses. Everyone fighting each other for food, like animals.

Rhys: Oi, what are you two doing?

Andy: Uh, I was just asking for some advice.

Rhys: Yeah, don't you start. Gwen?

Gwen: Yes?

Rhys: No more investigations. You promised. We're here to see your Dad. That's it, yeah?

Gwen: Do you want to come and have a look? Come on, bright eyes, follow me.

[ Hospital basement ]

Gwen: Look, intensive care overflow. They've got twelve beds with seventeen patients already. What's gonna happen tomorrow? And the day after that? And the day after that? And the day...

Rhys: Listen, now. Every time you investigate something, you end up in danger, Gwen.

Gwen: 'Cause I can help.

Rhys: Don't you dare.

Gwen: So you just...

Rhys: I said don't you dare! Have you got that? Don't you bloody dare, Gwen! ( Panting ) See, the thing is, right, if you think Miracle Day is like a Torchwood case, others are going to think the same, aren't they? They're gonna come looking for you with g*ns like they did the old days.

Gwen: I suppose, yeah.

Rhys: We shouldn't even be in the city. There are cameras everywhere, man. And it's different now. You've got a daughter, and you can't go putting her into danger. That is why we live in the back of beyond, to keep her safe. We've got to go back.

Gwen: My dad is sick.

Rhys: Oh, think about it! People aren't dying. He's gonna survive.

Gwen: Shush, now. Shush.

Rhys: Think about Anwen. ( Laughs ) Maybe our daughter's going to live forever.

Gwen: Don't, okay? Don't make her part of this this thing, okay? Don't. Do you think she could?

Rhys: Possible, yeah. See, maybe you should let this happen for once.

Gwen: Let's go home.

Rhys: Yes.

Gwen: Let's go home.

( Laughs softly )

[ Esther's apartment ]

( Groans )

( Groans )

( Coughs, grunts )

( Exhales )

( Groaning )

( Gasps )

Esther: ( Whispers ) What the hell?

[ CIA Analysts Office ]

TV Reporter: The search or suspects continues after last night's massive expl*si*n at the CIA archives...

Charlotte: Nice for some, having the morning off?

Esther: Yeah, I, er had things to do. Missed all this.

( Clears throat )

Noah: You owe me. Yasmin works in Friedkin's office. She got me the last remaining copy of the Torchwood file. Now you can take me to dinner.

( Phone rings )

Esther: Esther Drummond. Hello.

[ Hospital room / CIA Analysts Office ]

Rex: Is there a database correlating mortality rates from every single hospital in the world?

Esther: Are you on your cell phone? Because you're not allowed to be using it.

Rex: And is anyone talking to morticians? Because, I mean, they've got to be the first to notice, right?

Esther: There's nothing. There's no news. The whole thing, it's kind of intangible. How do you investigate something not happening? And all that Torchwood stuff that's gone up to Friedkin.

Rex: Oh, yeah? ( Pants ) So what's Torchwood got to do with it?

Esther: I don't know. It's sort of connected, isn't it?

Rex: No. No, it's not. It's a completely different case.

Esther: Sure. Of course it is.

Rex: Then why'd you mention it?

Esther: Don't know. I suppose it just happened at the same time?

Rex: So what is Torchwood, anyway?

Esther: Er, some kind of British intervention agency. Closed down. Used to specialise in 456 cases and above.

Rex: So that first email with Torchwood, you know, the security breach, when did that come through?

Esther: Sunday night, 22:36.

Rex: ( Groans ) 22:36, huh?

Esther: Yep.

Rex: ( Softly ) 22:36. 22:36 was the last reported death. The last death on planet Earth.

Esther: Well, that's disputable. They said that the last death was on Monday.

Rex: No, no, no. Monday in Shanghai. ( Beeping ) At 11:36. Washington, D.C. is 13 hours behind at 22:36. Both those things happened at the same time. Don't you see? You were right. ( Grunts ) It's all connected. Torchwood's the key to this whole thing.

Nurse: Rex, I've warned you. You're gonna k*ll yourself!

Rex: I can't. That's the point. ( Grunts ) All right, so give me those names again.

Esther: Captain Jack Harkness and Gwen Cooper. Zero information on him and no sightings of Cooper for the last twelve months. It's like she's gone underground.

Rex: Yeah, that's them.

Esther: The case details have been censored by UNIT Headquarters. This file's got referrals going all the way to Geneva and above. It's way beyond top secret.

Rex: Yeah, yeah, yeah. CIA. Move out of my way.

Doctor: You can't take them.

Vera: Rex, what do you think you're doing?

Rex: Sorry, Doc, I'm too busy.

Vera: You are in no condition to leave.

Rex: Oh, I'm not just leaving. ( Grunts ) I'm flying all the way to the United Kingdom. Esther, book me a flight. ( Grunts ) Hey, CIA. I'm taking that cab. Move the hell out of the way. Move! ( Pants ) Now, make sure you get a hold of supplies, because I'm gonna need a requisition fifteen.

Esther: ( Softly ) What do you need that for?

Rex: You do know what a requisition fifteen is, right?

Esther: Of course I do. It's clearance to take a handgun on a plane.

Rex: Well then, I'm taking a handgun on a plane. Now book that flight.

[ CIA Analysts Office / Airport ]

Esther: Okay, your flight departs at oh two hundred hours, but your requisition has been refused.

Rosita: Tengo tu pasaporte.

Rex: If requisitions won't move, then get me a handgun from UK security.

Esther: How am I supposed to do that?

( Speaks Spanish )

Rex: Shush! Get me the g*n. Rosita, Rosita, here. I don't know when I'm coming back, all right? I don't want you letting your husband into my house. You got that? No husbando. ( Speaks Spanish ) No husbando.

[ Aeroplane / Esther's apartment ]

( Dings )

Attendant on P.A.: Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to your flight to London Heathrow.

Rex: All right, now concentrate. The life of Gwen Cooper. What do we know?

Esther: Ex-police. It says that she joined the Torchwood Institute in October 2006.

Rex: All right, now hold on, hold on. Go through her police records. Find out everyone she worked with, everyone she trained with.

Attendant: I'm sorry, sir. I have to ask you to turn your phone off now.

Rex: CIA, and I'm sick. Gwen Cooper. Find out everything.

Esther: I can't get into the database. I'll need your password.

( Phone clicks )

Esther: Rex!

( Sighs )

[ Heathrow Airport / Esther's apartment ]

Rex: Hi. So where the hell was I? Right. The password's "Madrid 6-6-2-1-1." That's "Madrid" with a capital "M." Now go through that list and scan through their records using a level one filter. You should highlight anything with a red flag or a caution pertaining to Homeland Security.

Esther: I've got one positive response. Police Sergeant Andrew Davison, Cardiff resident. There's a note in his file says he was Gwen Cooper's unofficial liaison. I can access his private calls.

[ Car / Esther's apartment ]

Esther: ( Sighs ) I've got to filter this through Whitehall.

Rex: How long's it gonna take?

Esther: Any minute now.

Rex: And what the hell is this bridge? The Severn Bridge?

Esther: It connects England to Wales.

Rex: What, you mean Wales is separate? ( Pants ) It's like the British equivalent of New Jersey.

Esther: Hold on, hold on. I think I've got something. Sergeant Davison made one call on Tuesday at seventeen oh eight to a number that's on the UK Hickman register. That's a list of cell numbers allocated to witness protection schemes.

Rex: That's it then, we've got her.

Esther: I can request that through MI5.

Rex: Now what is this? Wait a minute, I've got to pay for this bridge? ( Sighs ) g*dd*mn Wales.

Esther: I've traced the handset. Sending you the coordinates... ( Keyboard keys click ) ...Now. It's at 51°, 34'N; 4°, 17'W.

Rex: I got it.

[ Welsh Farm ]

( Groaning )

( g*ns cock )

Rex: CIA!

Gwen: Yeah? So what?

( Coughing, wheezing )

KCNU: Extraordinary scenes in Kentucky as the governor's office releases Oswald Danes on parole. The charity Freedom and Liberty has employed a force majeure ruling to define Danes' survival as an act of God, with liability now on the state to prove otherwise.

( Angry clamoring )

( Engine starts )

( Buzzer sounds )

( Clamoring continues )

( Pounding on car )

[ Farmhouse ]

Gwen: Right, we're off. We're gonna get a good head start and phone you an ambulance. Don't follow us. Don't even try. We just want to be left alone, okay?

( Grunting )

( Groans )

Gwen: Hold it right there, mate. So much for tying him up.

Rhys: I've never tied up a person.

Gwen: Men are good at knots. How many times have you told me that?

Rhys: Yeah, at Christmas.

Rex: Hey! Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey. I had a pole through my chest. I was dead, then I wasn't. I had to pay for this Bridge and now I want to know what the hell is going on, all right? ( Helicopter whirring ) Because I was dead and now I'm not. And if that has anything to do with Torchwood or you or anyone, then I need.

( Whirring intensifies )

Rex: You know, it would really help if could hear myself think. What the hell is he doing?

Rhys: It's a tourist thing.

Gwen: No. No, I don't think it is. ( Whispers ) Sweetheart.

Gwen: Get back!

Gwen: Get in the car. Come on!

Jack: Can't leave you alone for a minute.

Rex: It's you.

[ Flashback ]

Rex: Gwen Cooper. Find out everything.

( Grunts )

( Beeps )

Jack: She said to turn off the phone.

[ End Flashback ]

Jack: Never annoy me again. ( Helicopter approaching ) Now get in.

[ Land Rover ]

Jack: Duck!

Rhys: Jack, for God's sake, there's a kid here!

Jack: I got a present for you in the back.

Rhys: Give her to me, Gwen, the baby.

Jack: You there, CIA, do something useful.

Rex: Wales is insane. Get down!

Rex: Who the hell are you people?

Gwen: Torchwood.

[ Roald Dahl Plass ]

( expl*si*n )

( Panting )

( Phone rings )

Gwen: Right, so that's sorted. Rhys, take Anwen to my mother's and keep her safe and sound. Jack, if you've got access to any weapons, what else have we got? I've still got the old Eye 5s, but everything else is gone.

Rhys: I knew it though. Didn't I say? First sign of trouble, you go running off with Captain Jack Bollocks.

Gwen: What choice have I got? I mean, they rebuilt to the tower, now we're rebuilding Torchwood. Isn't that right, Jack? You even listening to me?

Jack: I cut my arm.

Gwen: Okay. Can't help but thinking there's more important things to be worrying about here.

Jack: No. I cut my arm. Look at it. It's not healing.

Gwen: Do you mean...

Jack: I'm staying hurt.

Gwen: Oh, my God.

Jack: I know.

Gwen: Seriously, though.

Rhys: It's only a cut.

Gwen: But it's Jack. Don't you see? The whole world becomes immortal...

Jack: And I mortal. I don't mend. I'm normal again. I'm plain old human.

Rex: You're what?

Jack: Doesn't concern you.

Rex: ( Scoffs ) You talk some crazy sh*t, you know that?

Gwen: You should get that seen to.

Rex: Yeah, any minute now. ( Sirens blaring ) Ah, here comes my ride.

Gwen: Andy, you can't do this.

Andy: Orders from above. I'm sorry. He's in charge.

Jack: Since when?

Rhys: He can't arrest us. He's American.

Rex: I hate to bust up your sweet little tea party, but this isn't an arrest. This is a rendition. And on behalf of the CIA, under the 456 amendments to US code 3184, I'm extraditing this so-called Torchwood team to the United States of America. Now, get me out of here. Take me home.

( Theme music playing )