02x10 - The Special Detective

Episode transcripts from season 2 to 6 and the pilot script. Show now ended.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

Jake Doyle and his father Malachy run a private investigations agency in St. John's, Newfoundland. Their cases involve them in all sorts of dealings - not all of them on the right side of the law.

02x10 - The Special Detective

Post by bunniefuu »

[Narrator] Previously, on Republic of Doyle.

[Leslie] Hold your fire! Yeah, I wanted to straighten things out, with us.

[Jake] Sounds pretty complicated.

[Leslie] Not with me.

[Allison] You think this is going where you think it's going?

[Cell phone ringing]

[Allison] It's my husband.

[Jake] How's married life?

[Allison] We should probably talk about that.

[Jake] Does he have a g*n?

[Simon] It's just so great to see you. Maybe we made a wrong move somewhere.

[Rose] Jake, meet Garrison Steele.

[Steele] Jake Doyle.

[Leslie] The author, Garrison Steele.

[Jake] Oh, not you too.

[Steele] How have you gotten this far in life by always taking "no" for an answer?

[Jake] You don't know anything about my life and I don't want you copying it for some stupid dime store novel.

[Steele] I don't "copy" life, I improve on it!

[Jake] Well if I want some self-improvement sometime, I'll give you a call.

[Rose] You know, if you look at the expenses, you're going to see that we are way over. Are you still with us, Jake?

[Jake] Yeah, you divide the big numbers on the top with the little numbers on the bottom, I get it.

[Rose] No, that's long division, dear. Um, this is a budget report.

[Jake] And?

[Mal] We're in the red.

[Jake] Good.

[Mal] Red is bad.

[Rose] Jake, we have to pay for 3 cars that you crashed into.

[Jake] Hey, I didn't crash into any cars, okay? They crashed getting out of my way, so... And we solved that case, what's the problem?

[Mal] Okay, how about reimbursing a woman after you broke down her door and smashed her windows?

[Jake] That was Des's fault, he gave me the wrong address, so bill him.

[Rose] What about all the meals and drinks you've been writing off?

[Jake] Business expenses.

[Rose] Oh.

[Mal] Point is, we need to bring in more business. A lot more.

[Jake] Fine. I'll bring in more business. Or, you know what? Why don't you two bring in more business? I have to go.

[Rose] Think he'll understand?

You should have told him.

[Mal] Not a chance. Let him suffer.

[Crowd laughing]

[Steele] Our special Detective, Jared Boyle, nodded and released the oil baron. He wasn't the guy. Jared was keeping his pathological crying in check.

[Crowd laughing]

[Steele] But his o.C.D. Was overpowering him. He quickly fixed the wrinkle in the oil baron's collar.

[Crowd laughing]

[Steele] The only crime this baron had committed was being a cuckold, but if he didn't k*ll the insurance magnate, then who did? He raced to his vintage muscle car, a subconscious phallic reminder of his many shortcomings.

[Crowd laughing]

[Steele] Like the clothes, the drinking and womanizing, this car was part of an elaborate disguise which covered the very fabric of our hero's... soul.

Well, well, well, ladies and gentlemen, it appears my muse has descended upon us, the original special Detective, mister Jake Doyle!

[Crowd applauding]

[Steele] Good to see you again.

♪ Oh, yeah ♪
♪ oh, yeah ♪
♪ oh, yeah ♪
♪ oh, yeah-e-yeah-e-yeah-e-yeah♪
♪ oh, yeah-e-yeah-e-yeah-e-yeah♪
♪ oh, yeah ♪

[Jake] I can't believe, I can't believe he would do this to me.

If you want his business so bad, you work with him.

[Rose] No, Jake, he insisted on working with you. Jared Boyle is Jared Boyle. It's you, or no deal.

[Mal] And he pays well. I told you, we need the money.

[Steele] That's right Jake, you need the money, and I need to spend time with my muse, it's perfect.

[Jake] What are you doing with scotch? I was saving this!

[Steele] Live in the moment.

[Rose] Garrison, we loved the special Detective.

[Mal] Yeah.

[Steele] Of course you did. That reminds me, I've got signed copies for everyone. Desmond, Rose, Malachy. Doesn't have enough pictures for you?

[Des] "To Desmond, the brains of the operation." Heh-heh-heh.

[Steele] Desmond, please.

[Surprised gasping]

[Rose] Oh!

[Steele] And this is why I'm here. A ripe case, on which I'm basing the next special Detective novel. k*ller choke hold, m*rder in the hexagon.

Thank you so much. A poor gladiator, Murray here, has been m*rder*d and we need to solve it. Desmond, please continue.

[Des] Thank you, Garrison.

Murray Peckford, a champion M.M.A., mixed martial arts, fighter, who turned businessman a couple years ago and formed his own fighting association in Saint John's. But, last week, he was sh*t and k*lled in a break and entry. Now, the r.N.C.

Arrested Vince Bragg, an M.M.A.

Fighter who's gone 0 for 5 lately, and has a reputation of being a dirty fighter. Now, Bragg was caught red-handed, was charged with manslaughter, and, uh, he confessed just a couple days ago, and he's currently awaiting processing.

[Jake] Whoa, whoa, whoa, hold on there pointdexter, manslaughter, so the k*ller confessed? Why do you want to investigate a solved m*rder case?

[Steele] If he's innocent, we save a man's life. If he's guilty, I get into the mind of the k*ller, learn why he committed the crime.

[Jake] Ambulance chaser.

[Cell phone ringing]

[Steele] My publisher. She's the anxious type.

[Jake] You know what, Steele, I have better things to do than have you following me around all day, so...

[Steele] Sorry, Jake, the deal is done. You're stuck.

[Cell phone ringing]

[Jake] Thank God. Perfect timing. I was starting to worry that maybe you lost my number.

[Allison] Yeah, sorry, I ah, I've just been taking some time to think, you know?

[Jake] Thinking is highly overrated. Are you okay?

[Allison] Yeah, I'm fine. Can we meet? Chat?

[Jake] To be honest with you, I will do anything to get out of what I have to do today, so yes, just text me the details later, all right?

[Allison] Okay.

[Cell phone buzzing]

[Steele] Oh, Desmond here has just been filling me in on Allison, or Nikki 2.0 as I like to call her.

[Jake] "Nikki 2.0"?

[Steele] Ex-wife, Nikki, new unattainable girlfriend, Allison, how is the police officer, what was her name?

[Group] Leslie.

[Steele] Ah, Leslie, the hot cop. How's all that going for you?

[Jake] Oh my God.

[Steele] Oh, this will be fun.

We should get going, I've booked an interview with Murray's alleged m*rder*r. Come along, Jared.

[Jake] Don't call me that!

[Group] 'Bye Jared.

[Jake] Ah, listen, thanks for seeing us. My name is Jake, and this is...

[Vince] I know who you are.

You're Jared Boyle, from the book. So, do you really have a crying disorder? I've never heard of that. Man.

[Jake] No.

[Steele] He's sensitive, though.

[Vince] My lawyer doesn't want me talking to anybody, but when the man behind "the k*ller corpse" calls...

[Steele] Thank you. Much appreciated. Obviously, I'll be recording our conversation for my next book.

[Vince] Ah, no, no recording, you can write notes.

[Steele] Oh, well, my assistant will take notes for me, Jake?

[Jake] No he won't.

[Steele] They'd be illegible anyway. So, Vince, would you take us through the night that you m*rder*d Murray, the night of his untimely demise.

[Vince] Uh, I really needed the money, so after my fight I didn't go anywhere, I waited around at the gym, kicked down the door to get at the safe, Murray surprised me, and I, and I sh*t him. Police showed up right after.

[Steele] And now you're facing manslaughter charges. Why did you pull the trigger? sh**t a man in cold blood?

[Vince] Because Murray, he, su-surprised me when he come in.

[Steele] But what were you feeling? What emotions were running through you? How did it feel? Surprise, anger, jealousy that he had the life you didn't, could never have? He was a man in charge of his own destiny.

[Vince] Yeah, I guess, yeah, no...

[Steele] So you had to destroy it, crush it!

[Vince] Yeah, no, it wasn't...

[Steele] Thanks, that's excellent, now let's get back to the beginning, your childhood.

[Jake] When did you decide to rob the place?

[Vince] After I lost my fight.

[Jake] After your fight when you didn't go anywhere?

[Vince] That's what I said. Do you got a problem with my diction?

[Steele] No, of course he doesn't.

[Jake] Where'd you get the g*n?

[Vince] I have a g*n. Carry one around with me. Always.

[Jake] Where did you buy it?

[Steele] Yes, where did you buy the g*n?

[Vince] There's a place, a guy that, uh...

[Jake] A place with a guy that you bought a g*n that you carry around with you always?

[Steele] Or, maybe you were angry with Murray, you wanted revenge, maybe this was premeditated because you can't contain your rage or deep-seeded v*olence!

[Vince] Not what happened!

[Carmichael] What is this? Get out. You want to speak to my client, clear it through me.

[Steele] I knew it. If Vince had the g*n before he lost the case, this is premeditated m*rder.

[Jake] You knew it? You wouldn't know your arse from a hole in the ground.

[Steele] Stop! I pay you to work this case. We need to dig deeper, push the boundaries to find the truth, I thought I taught you that.

[Jake] Taught me?

[Steele] You should talk to the staff sergeant in charge of this case, find out what really went down, how could we get that information? Lovely Leslie. Are we still in touch with her, or has Allison taken centre stage?

[Jake] You know, I forgot what a pompous mook you really are.

[Steele] "Mook"? Call her.

[Policeman] Garrison, can we get a photo?

[Steele] Oh, hello. Garrison Steele.

[Policeman] Nice to meet you.

[Steele] Oh, let's see, ah...

[Policeman] If you don't mind.

[Steele] Ha, ha.

[Cell phone ringing]

[Leslie] Hey. What is it?

[Jake] Oh hey there, is this a bad time?

[Leslie] Uh, no. Not at all, just getting ready for work.

[Clarke] You're not even in here! I mean, I'm surprised, I totally thought you'd be in here, but...

[Leslie] What do you want?

[Jake] Just looking for some info on a case I'm working on.

[Leslie] I'm hanging up now.

[Jake] No, no, no, wait, wait, wait, look, I'm working the Murray m*rder case, I just need to know who the officer in charge was.

[Leslie] Really, that's why you're calling me? To find out who worked a closed m*rder case?

[Jake] You know, what? Forget it. Say "hi" to the Mayor for me.

[Policeman] Nice to see you.

[Steele] You know, for a fleeting moment I thought you might have matured, but no.

Allison, and Leslie is so in the picture.

[Jake] I thought I made myself very clear, I don't want you messing in my private life.

[Steele] You are immortalized in the fiction of my novels, there is no such thing as a "private life" anymore. And ah, you forgot this inside. Some investigator, Jared would never do that.

[Jake] Jared would never do this.

[Steele] He will now.

[Clarke] So you sad?

[Leslie] What?

[Clarke] That you're not in the book!

[Leslie] No, of course not.

[Clarke] And I think that the o. C.D. Crying Detective could have used a love interest. We'll meet in the shower, okay?

[Leslie] Okay.

[Carmichael] Who the hell were they?

[Vince] Just some guys, a writer...

[Carmichael] You want to go to jail forever? Look, we discussed this. You talk to no one but me.

Stick to the story, otherwise I'll let the boss know. I'm meeting with him today.

[Jake] That's it. That's when they took my jacket out of the room.

[Mal] Nicely done. Who's this "boss"?

[Jake] I don't know, but I've got Rose looking into the lawyer, see who might have hired her.

[Steele] S we have nothing?

[Mal] Leslie called. Staff sergeant Banfield ran the m*rder case. She doesn't know much about him, but she gave me an address where he likes to hang out.

[Steele] Interesting. Leslie called Malachy, and not you.

[Jake] Dad, how would you like to look into Banfield and I'll go check out the crime scene?

[Mal] Fine, just keep your head on straight, right?

[Jake] Hey, here's an opportunity for you. You get to watch an ex-cop interrogate a current cop, that is once in a lifetime, blue moon stuff.

[Steele] Oh, not so easy to get rid of me, Jakey my boy, the readers love it when the protagonist returns to the scene of the crime. I'm with you.

[Mal] Hey, how you doing?

[Banfield] Good.

[Mal] Are you staff sergeant Banfield? Mind if I have a word?

I'm Malachy Doyle.
[Banfield] I know who you are.

[Mal] Really?

[Banfield] You got a good reputation at the station, but I've got to wonder, anyone who would resort to becoming a private Detective?

[Mal] Have to keep busy somehow.

[Banfield] Yeah? So how you keeping busy today, what do you want?

[Mal] I'm looking into the Murray m*rder, and I was hoping you could answer a couple questions.

[Banfield] Questions from who?

[Mal] Just me. I'm curious.

How'd it go down?

[Banfield] Simple. Vince Bragg broke down a door, triggered a silent alarm on his way to the safe, we found Murray dead, and Vince holding the g*n.

[Mal] And he just confessed?

[Banfield] He confessed because he's guilty. It's a good collar.

[Mal] Sounds like.

[Banfield] Do me a favour, and stick to taking dirty pictures of old ladies. Leave the real police work to those of us actually on the job.

[Clint] That's it, come on, take him to the ground! More turns, more turns, hold up, come on!

Go, go! That's it.

[Jake] What are you doing?

[Steele] What?

[Clint] All right, good, good, take a breather guys. Hey guys, Clint Wallace, I'm the ah, co-owner here at crunch M.M.A., what can I do you for?

[Jake] I'm Jake Doyle, this is...

[Steele] Garrison Steele. And I too like to throw punches, but usually they are contained within the pages of a novel.

[Clint] Oh, yeah? Anything I know?

[Steele] Oh, let's see, ah, 666 o'clock, to k*ll a ghost, innocent until proven dead, tinker tailor soldier dead, dead man crawling, guilt by innocence, half past m*rder, knock-knock you're dead!

[Clint] That's amazing! I love some of those.

[Steele] Really?

[Clint] You're a literary genius.

[Steele] Yes, I know.

[Clint] Wait, are you hear to write about Murray's m*rder?

[Steele] I promise to be respectful.

[Clint] Oh, it's cool, it's cool, Murray would have dug that, he was always into that kind of stuff. So what, you guys, you got some questions or somethin'?

[Steele] Did Murray have any enemies, anyone who might want to hurt him?

[Clint] Nah, nah, everyone loved Murray, I mean, he gave a lot of these guys their first break. I don't know anyone that had a beef with Murr.

[Jake] What about Vince Bragg?

[Clint] Well, I didn't really know much about him, I mean, Murray trained Vince. When I think about it, those two did have some run-ins. And Murray wouldn't let Vince get in the ring because he was injured, and Vince was pissed. Heh. Look guys, I've got to go, we're short of trainers, lots to keep on top of without Murray, but you call me if you need anything.

[Steele] Thank you so much.

[Jake] What door did Vince kick in?

[Clint] What?

[Jake] What door did Vince kick in? Vince said that ah, he kicked a door in the night that he k*lled Murray. That one doesn't look like it's been repaired, and neither does this one.

[Clint] Well Vince must have misspoke. Well, call me if you guys need anything, all right?

All right guys, again form the top.

[Steele] Nice guy.

[Jake] Vince is lying, there's no way he broke into that gym, at least not how he said he did.

[Steele] So he confessed to the b. And e. To cover up a planned m*rder.

[Jake] Maybe it was Banfield.

[Mal] A cop? He's a jackass, that's for sure. Was he too lazy to check the facts to his own case?

[Jake] Yeah, it doesn't make a lot of sense, I mean it didn't take us very long to figure out that Vince's story was bogus.

[Steele] He's got a slam-dunk conviction, why look a gift horse in the mouth?

[Jake] I don't know, for the truth?

[Steele] You're such an idealist.

[Mal] Maybe Banfield's dirty, not all cops are squeaky clean, he could have framed Vince.

[Steele] How can you frame someone that's confessed?

[Jake] Dad, I told you, he has the deduction skills of poo, please ignore him.

[Steele] You lash out like a 12 year old girl, what's the alternative, what's your grand theory?

[Jake] They're both lying.

[Steele] Well, that can't be good.

[Mal] Looks like we're going in the right direction.

[Jake] Yep. Looks like it.

[Jake] What the hell are you doing, Des?

[Des] Preparing clues.

[Jake] I just made that, give me my sandwich.

[Des] Oh sorry boy, I didn't...

[Steele] Don't worry Des, he's just trying to re-establish his Alpha-male status after his territory was invaded, I'd stay away from the corners if you know what I mean.

[Rose] Well, it doesn't look like anything was stolen.

[Steele] Who would break in just to hang up a cut-out?

[Jake] A novel idea if you ask me.

[Mal] Someone trying to tell us to stay away from the Murray case.

[Rose] Yeah, speaking of which, I've been looking into Vince's bank account, it's been on life support for months.

[Mal] So, he did need money.

[Rose] Yeah, and this is weird too, he hires Neve Carmichael, a very defence attorney, to represent him. Now, she usually only represents the rich and powerful.

[Steele] And Vince is neither rich, nor powerful.

[Jake] So the boss that Carmichael was talking about on the dictaphone, that must be who's bankrolling Vince.

[Mal] Vince's wife, we should talk to her, see what she thinks of all of this.

[Steele] Meanwhile, we should really get some legal advice.

Oh! Anyone here know an attractive lawyer maybe?

[Steele] Oh, I'm Garrison Steele, you are divine.

[Jake] Just shut up, shut up, shut up.

[Steele] You know, one thing I can say for you Jake, you have excellent taste in women.

[Allison] Thank you. So, what can I do for you?

[Jake] I just wanted to ask you about a lawyer? Her name is Neve Carmichael, you ever hear of her?

[Allison] She's a pit bull.

She's good, she's not as good as me, but she's expensive.

[Steele] And you know anything more, whether friends are perhaps, ah, where she frequents?

[Allison] Ah, well I've seen her at the Preston bean, the restaurant, she likes to do her meetings there.

[Steele] The Preston bean.

[Jake] Could you give us a minute, please?

[Steele] Well, of course, by all means! Note to self, Jared looked longingly at the beautiful lawyer, his life, his love, nothing could be straightened out.

[Jake] Forget about him. How you doing?

[Allison] I just really miss you. It's just, it all feels so stupid. Heh.

[Jake] Your marital bliss, it ain't always so blissful, is it?

Does your husband know that you're seeing me?

[Allison] I didn't mean to make your life complicated with all this. He's my husband. I should try! Give it a chance, you know, let it play itself out, right?

[Jake] Some purely non self-interested advice here? If it ended, it was probably supposed to. A lot of people spend a lot of money and a lot of time trying to figure that out.

[Allison] Maybe you're right.

[Jake] Or maybe I'm the last person in the world who should be giving relationship advice, so...

[Allison] I've got to go.

[Jake] Nice seeing you.

[Car engine starts]

[Allison] Where's your car?

[Jake] Oh, s...

[Steele] Here's my yacht number, my home number, and my mobile.

Feel free to call me any time of day or night, and another drink please. Don't worry, I won't be driving!

[Jake] Do you even have your license?

[Steele] See, that's your problem. You don't trust anyone, same for Allison and Leslie.

[Jake] Oh my God, you never, ever shut up, do you?

[Steele] Why complicate your life with two women when you're really in love with one of them?

And we all know which one you're really in love with.

[Jake] Which one am I really in love with? I'd love to hear it from you.

[Steele] See, there you go again, terrified to admit the truth.

[Jake] You don't know anything about me, and you don't know anything about how I feel, so why don't you do us all a great big favour and take a vacation somewhere else.

[Steele] Please keep your voice down. Look who's lunching over there.

[Jake] Is that Neve the lawyer with...

[Steele] Clint. The boss. Murray's partner. My guess is Clint is paying Vince's legal fees.

[Jake] Why would he be paying for his legal fees?

[Steele] Thank you. Excellent question, Jared. Good afternoon. The dead Murray on your minds? Or Vince, the man accused of k*lling him.

[Clint] Mr. Steele, what are you doing here?

[Steele] Getting to the truth, while writing a novel.
[Carmichael] Excuse me?

[Jake] I'm really, really very sorry.

[Steele] You're Neve Carmichael, the lawyer for the man who k*lled Murray. Clint, are you paying Vince's legal fees? Why?

[Carmichael] Clint. You don't have to answer any of these questions.

[Steele] In my book, the advocate's advocate, the protagonist is the lawyer for a sex ring, but it turns out he's actually conspiring with them to commit m*rder.

[Jake] See, he actually has a habit of doing this kind of thing.

[Carmichael] So, what are you insinuating?

[Clint] No no, guys, come on.

That's not what's going on here at all.

[Jake] Really? Then enlighten us, what is going on here?

[Clint] Well, the truth is, I felt bad for Vince. Look, both Murr and I made a lot of coin off him before he got injured, so I thought I'd give something back.

[Steele] You told us you didn't know Vince.

[Clint] Well I don't. Not personally, but, I know what Murray would want, and if it was an accident, he wouldn't want his friend locked up in jail forever, right? Now, if you'd please, uh, excuse us?

[Steele] Bon appetit. Nice to see you. Enjoy your lunch.

[Kelsey] His name is Nico. We were so happy to bring him home, it seems so long ago now.

[Rose] Oh, you all look so beautiful.

[Kelsey] That's sweet of you.

He's with a friend from work, I haven't got much time to myself since Vince's arrest.

[Mal] Don't apologize, and thank you for seeing us.

[Kelsey] So what can I do to help you?

[Rose] Well, we're looking into Vince's case.

[Kelsey] Is it true that Garrison Steele is writing a book about my husband?

[Mal] Yes it is, but he's...

[Rose] Well, we're, we want to find out the truth, see if we can help Vince out somehow.

[Mal] We've been looking into Murray's death and the facts, and something isn't lining up.

[Kelsey] I don't know what I can do to help you, I mean, I mean, I never thought Vince was... I... could k*ll anyone, least of all a friend, but he confessed and...

[Mal] We're here to help Vince, so if there's anything you know, anything you're not telling us.

[Kelsey] You're good people, right? I can trust you? I mean, I feel like I can trust you.

[Rose] 'Course you can. What is it honey?

[Kelsey] It's $50,000 exactly. I counted. I don't know where it's from, but I think, I think my husband was paid to k*ll Murray.

[Jake] So what, Clint is just paying for Vince's legal fees out of the goodness of his heart?

[Steele] It'll make a great chapter, "I know what Murray would want, and he wouldn't want to see one of his friends locked in jail forever", heartstrings!

[Cell phone ringing]

[Jake] Dad.

[Steele] Speakerphone please.

[Jake] Hold on for a second.

[Steele] Kelsey, Vince's wife, found 50 grand after Vince was arrested for Murray's m*rder.

[Steele] It was m*rder for hire.

[Mal] That's the working theory.

[Steele] So Vince was paid 50 grand to m*rder Murray, got caught, and confessed to robbery and manslaughter instead to serve less time.

[Jake] That is like, the worst hit job I've ever heard of. He gets paid 50 grand to k*ll a guy and then he confesses to it?

[Steele] But who paid Vince the $50,000?

[Mal] Why don't you guys get back here, we'll figure out our next move.

[Jake] Aye-aye, skipper.

[Cell phone ringing]

[Steele] Oh! My publisher, obviously wondering about the new best seller.

[Jake] Now who's avoiding thin? Every time that woman calls you, you press ignore.

Why?

[Tires squealing]

[Steele] Friend of yours?

[Jake] Staff sergeant Banfield, right?

[Banfield] I told your father to stay out of the Murray case.

[Jake] Look buddy, what can I do? My dad's a terrible communicator.

[Banfield] Oh yeah? Maybe I can help.

[Jake] What are you doing? What?

Oh!

[Steele] We're not stopping.

[Jake] Steele, would you... Oh!

[Steele] No matter what you do.

[Jake] What the hell is wrong... Ah!

[Steele] We're getting to the bottom of this.

[Jake] Shut up!

[Banfield] Stay out of it, or next time, it won't be a cardboard cutout hanging from your ceiling.

[Jake] Ah. Let go of me.

[Steele] Now that's how you end a chapter.

[Tires squealing]

[Mal] What happened to you?

[Jake] It's a long story, but I'm pretty sure banfield doesn't want us looking into this Murray m*rder.

[Steele] My guess is he paid Vince the 50 grand to whack Murray.

[Mal] Okay, where would a cop get 50 grand, and why would he whack anyone?

[Steele] Well, he destroyed my cutout so obviously he's guilty of something.

[Jake] Dad, just ignore him, all right? Someone paid Vince to k*ll Murray.

[Mal] Clint, or banfield?

[Jake] Hard to say.

[Mal] Neither of them has a motive.

[Jake] Yeah, maybe we should take a closer look at both of them. You take Clint, and I'll take banfield.

[Steele] Anything interesting at all?

[Mal] No, nothing much, just a couple of fighters came in and that's it.

[Cell phone ringing]

[Steele] Ah! My publisher, she's driving me nuts! She wants pages, pages, pages. I'm an artist. Pages come when my assistant writes them!

[Mal] Heh. So, this the way you write all your books? Hands on like this?

[Steele] Mmm, not quite, but this gets a certain energy, translates to the page, I feel.

[Mal] Dangerous though, I'd say.

[Steele] What's life without a little spark? You ever think of trying something different? You don't want to look back later in life and wish you had.

[Mal] Yeah, well, tell that to the bank. Hard to try something new when you've got a mortgage and your own business.

[Steele] Hmm, I can sympathize.

Sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith. Speaking of which, do you have a bug?

[Jake] Sorry, sorry to interrupt, can I talk to you for a sec?

[Leslie] What do you want?

[Jake] Hi.

[Leslie] Jake, be quick, I'm working here.

[Jake] Do you know a guy, his name is staff sergeant banfield?

[Leslie] Yeah.

[Jake] I'm pretty sure he's a dirty cop.

[Leslie] That's a big accusation to be making.

[Jake] I know, but he has a briefcase full of cash in the trunk of his car.

[Leslie] And you know that for a fact it's not just evidence for a case?

[Jake] I don't know, you tell me.

[Leslie] This is something, but Banfield's got a sterling reputation, okay? It's gonna be tough.

[Jake] An innocent man might go to jail for the rest of his life. Can't you do anything?

[Leslie] It's a closed case.

You're going to have to get the crown to sign off on it. Talk to Allison.

[Jake] Ah, so how you doing? You okay?

[Leslie] Yeah, I'm fine. Great.

I dunno. I might have something that...
[Jake] What?

[Police radio] Sargent Bennett, come in please.

[Leslie] Nothing. It's nothing.

This is sergeant Bennett.

Goodbye, I'm working here.

[Mal] So, you think Banfield's a dirty cop?

[Jake] Hard to say. I checked with Leslie, but she's gonna need more info.

[Mal] How'd it go with Leslie?

[Jake] Fine. Why?

[Mal] Anything else going on there?

[Jake] Like what?

[Mal] Jake, I hate to say this, but I want you to be happy, you deserve it. You've got the chemistry, you and Leslie.

[Jake] You've been spending too much time with Steele. He's starting to rub off on you.

[Mal] What? It doesn't take a mystery writer to see you've still got feelings for the girl.

Real feelings.

[Jake] Oh my God, I wish everyone would just mind their own business, you know?

[Mal] Last time I'll say something nice to you.

[Jake] Speaking of Mickey Spillane, where the hell is he?

Did you ditch him? Oh, please, tell me that you ditched him.

[Mal] He's inside. He's got a plan.

[Jake] Are you out of your mind?

He's gonna blow the whole frigging operation.

[Steele] I know you did it.

[Clint] Excuse me?

[Steele] I know you did it.

Murray's m*rder! We both know you're behind it!

[Jake] Steele, just take it easy, all right? Okay hey, he's a writer, he's not a fighter, so... Steele! What is wrong with you?

Okay look, I'm really sorry about... ah! I'm not in the mood for this!

[Clint] You're mistaken. That might be a good little story for your book, but I loved Murray, like a brother.

[Jake] Just... Oh! Not in the face! Ooh! Not the gut either.

[Steele] That's what Cain said about Abel.

[Jake] Oh!

[Clint] Look, if you guys don't leave, I'm going to call the police.

[Steele] Good! We can explain how you paid Vince $50,000!

[Jake] Ah! All right. Okay. You don't want to talk about it. I get that.

[Steele] And we both know, it's only a matter of time before we prove everything.

[Jake] Sorry. Steele. What were you doing?

[Steele] I had a plan.

[Jake] You mind telling me what the hell we're doing out here, Steele?

[Steele] It's a plan, dear Jake.

[Jake] Oh a plan? Like your plan to pick a fight with a trained fighter and watch me get the crap kicked out of me?

[Steele] Look, obviously I am much too refined to succumb to petty v*olence.

[Jake] Oh, right, so, what are we doing here?

[Steele] See? I was bugging our little friend Clint. Impressed, Jared Boyle?

[Mal] Not a bad plan, you ask me.

[Steele] Finally a man with taste. And there is our friend, Clint.

[Jake] There's banfield, how do you turn this up?

[Banfield] Before we make this happen, I need to know you're the kind of guy who can get things done. Can you go all the way if I need you to?

[Clint] Ask Vince Bragg, or ah, Murray Peckford.

[Banfield] Do you want to tell me what happened there?

[Clint] You wanna sample or you wanna talk?

This checks out, I'll meet you later in my gym, okay?

[Jake] What the hell?

[Mal] Banfield didn't pay Vince to k*ll Murray, Clint did.

[Steele] We know Clint paid you to k*ll Murray.

[Vince] I don't know what you're talking about. I broke in, Murray surprised me...

[Steele] Then where did you get the $50,000?

[Vince] It's prize money.

[Jake] Really? From what, a beauty pageant? You haven't won a fight in months, Vince. Why you doing this? You have a wife.

You have a little kid.

[Steele] We're giving you a choice. Come clean and turn in Clint, or we go to the r.N.C.

With our evidence, and you never see your kid again.

[Vince] Please, leave.

Kelsey?

What are you doing here?

[Kelsey] I'm sorry baby, I am.

They want to help you.

[Vince] You showed them the money, didn't you? Why? I had it covered, I, I told you I was handling it.

[Kelsey] We don't need that money, we need you. Tell them what happened. Please, they'll help us. Please.

[Vince] Clint knew about my cold streak, that I needed the money.

The night of Murray's death he showed up with an envelope full of cash.

[Steele] You accepted it. k*lled Murray and confessed to a b and e to get a lighter sentence.

[Jake] No, no, no. That's not what happened.

[Vince] No.

[Jake] Why don't you tell us the real story, Vince?

[Vince] Clint paid me to confess to Murray's m*rder. I Neve k*lled anybody. I'm innocent.

[Jake] Vince Bragg is innocent.

[Allison] Well, his lawyer took the first plea agreement that I offered. Vince is gonna serve 10 years for manslaughter.

[Jake] Someone paid him to take the fall, all right? He didn't do it.

[Allison] Do you have any evidence?

[Jake] Vince's testimony, and ah, there's a deal of some kind going down tonight, money for something.

[Allison] For what?

[Jake] I don't know, but it's connected.

[Simon] So who's your friend babe?

[Jake] Jake Doyle, babe.

[Simon] Oh, so you're the guy who's trying to break up my marriage.

[Jake] Ook, buddy, I don't know what your problem is, but...

[Allison] Hey, Simon, why don't I meet you back at the hotel?

[Simon] I think you're done here, so, muck along. Find your own lady.

[Allison] I'm sorry about that.

[Jake] No, no. Don't be. He's a charming guy, little weird that you brought him here though.

[Allison] I didn't want to, believe me. My hands are tied with Vince, okay? Bring me something that I can use.

[Jake] Anything?

[Mal] No, nothing. Hasn't left the gym since he got there this morning.

[Steele] Though he cowardly cancelled all training sessions.

[Jake] Anyone ever think about the fact that maybe he left through the back door or something?

[Mal] Well, the g.P.S. In the bug that Mr. Steele planted this morning is still functioning, and he hasn't moved anywhere.

Ooh, sound's still broken though.

[Steele] Gotta stretch my legs.

[Jake] Well here's an idea, maybe they moved the meet to another location. Ever think of that?

[Mal] Nope.

[Jake] Dad, it's Banfield's cruiser. The meet, it's happening now. Let's go.

[Mal] Where's Steele?

[Steele] Son of a...

[Cell phone ringing]

[Jake] Leslie.

[Leslie] Hey look, I know you were looking into staff sergeant banfield. Don't, okay? I need you to back off. It's trouble, big trouble.

[Jake] Why?

[Banfield] I told you man, I'm clean.

[Clint] So you got the stuff?

[Banfield] Of course. Where's yours?

[Clint] It's right here.

[Banfield] Boxing bags.

[Clint] Everything you asked for is right in here.

[Banfield] Smart. You use them to smuggle the merch into the country.

[Clint] So, I assume this is satisfactory.

[Banfield] Oh yeah! But this doesn't have to end here. We have jobs and we can always use people like you.

[Clint] Well, I'm interested.

[Banfield] I just need to know, before you meet my friends, what you can pull off. That Murray Peckford m*rder, that was you?

[Clint] You asking as a cop?

[Banfield] Yeah, a cop who deals dr*gs, right. I just need to know if you've got the balls for some bigger stuff. My position in the r.N.C.
, I can get us much more than this.

[Clint] Well, let's just worry about this, we'll talk some other time about my balls.

[Clint] Looks like your next book's coming out posthumously.

[Steele] I am so stealing that line.

[Clint] Look who's eavesdropping.

[Steele] I was just doing research for my book.

[Clint] Well, I'm about to create another mystery for you.

The disappearance of Garrison Steele.

[Steele] That's corny, even r me.

[Banfield] Whoa! Hold on, this isn't the place to k*ll someone, especially a fringe celebrity.

[Steele] "Fringe"?

[Jake] Don't k*ll him.

[Steele] What are you doing?

[Jake] Saving your ass.

[Steele] He has more than one b*llet!

[Clint] I've got enough b*ll*ts for both of you, believe me.

[Banfield] Just back off!

[Jake] So what's the plan, Clint? Huh? You gonna k*ll us, like you k*lled Murray?

[Banfield] What is this?

[Jake] You're pathetic, you know that? U used Murray's gym as a front to sell your dr*gs, Murray finds out so you off him?

[Clint] What does this got to do with you?

[Jake] An innocent man is gonna go to jail.

[Banfield] You k*lled Murray, you did it?

[Clint] Well Vince needed the money. I paid him to take the fall. The world's full of suckers.

[Jake] You're a real scumbag, you know that?

[Clint] Yeah. Now don't move, 'cause I gotta k*ll you too now.

[Steele] How many more people have to die, Clint?

[Jake] What about you, huh? You were a cop! A good cop, what happened to you?

[Banfield] What are you doing, Doyle?

[Steele] Yeah, what are you doing?

[Jake] Shut up.

[Clint] Enough!

[Steele] Hey Clint!

[Jake] Steele!

[g*n f*ring]

[Clint] Aah!

[Steele] Well, that was dramatic.

[Banfield] What the hell are you two trying to do here? Idiots, I'm on a case!

[Jake] You got your confession, didn't you?

[Clint] Yah!

[Steele] Well, well, well. Dirty cop isn't so dirty after all, nice plot twist.

[Jake] Thanks for the save.

[Steele] Good work, Jared.

[Steele] Whoa, steroids!

[Jake] Classic mister big scenario, huh? So this whole dr*gs thing was a ruse to get Clint to confess to m*rder?

[Banfield] And this is the only way we could get a conviction, because Vince had confessed.

Couldn't get him to talk until your friend showed up.

[Steele] I seem to have that effect on people.

[Banfield] Hopefully with our testimony we can put Clint away and get Vince out.

[Jake] Testimony, what are you talk wearing a wire or something, did you get any of this on tape?

[Banfield]Lint checks for wires.

[Jake] Oh, well um, maybe you could use this. Should have everything on it.

[Steele] I'm so impressed, Jake Doyle.

[Jake] Yeah well, you owe me one.

[Vince] Best of luck.

[Leslie] You okay? You didn't get sh*t?

[Jake] No. Thanks for the tip about banfield.

[Leslie] You're... you're welcome.

[Jake] So I guess I'll see you around.

[Leslie] Yeah.

[Leslie] Uh, nice... Nice work Doyle.

[Jake] Yeah, ooh, absolutely, you too. It, it was, a pleasure as always, you know.

[Steele] A parting gift.

[Jake] Thank you.

[Steele] It's not for you, it's for Rose and Malachy.

[Jake] Right, of course, well... So this is goodbye, you're leaving then?

[Steele] Yes, and with me goes my newest work. You know, it may be my best yet. I think I've dug deeper into the heart of Jared this time.

[Jake] Hmm, whatever.

[Steele] But what does our hero do in the end? Does he rid himself of his longing and follow his heart?

[Jake] Man, I, I, I've gotta be honest with you, I am really looking forward to you leaving.

[Steele] Jake, you and the married Allison, if these things end, it's a sign they are supposed to. And if you don't mind me saying, life is short, don't waste it in the margins with inadequate lovers. Best of luck.

[Jake] Steele.

It was fun. Sort of.

[Steele] All right, you are going to love this.

[Mal] Well Garrison, it was a real pleasure working with you.

It was.

[Steel same here, Malachy Doyle, and it will be nice for my second book to have the proper details of Jared's father figure, Mal Boyle. Hmm-hmm! And let us not forget his vixen and sickeningly attractive wife.

[Rose] Garrison!

[Steele] Cheers!

[Mal] Cheers.

[Rose] Cheers!

[Clarke] You ready?

[Leslie] Yeah, sure.

[Clarke] You okay?

[Leslie] Absolutely.

[Clarke] Great.

[Knocking on door]

[Allison] Jake.

[Jake] I just wanted to say goodbye, and let you know that I'm not gonna make this complicated for you.

[Simon] Who the hell is it?

[Allison] It's nothing.

[Jake] What happened to your arm?

[Allison] It's nothing, Jake, look, I can handle it.

[Jake] Excuse me.

[Simon] Who do you think you are? A tough guy? Huh? Oh!

[Allison] Jake!

[Jake] Where's his stuff? Does he have a... Is this his suitcase?

[Allison] Yeah.

[Jake] Hey, Simon. Time for you to crash somewhere else. Ciao.

♪ Well you may throw your rock and hide your hand ♪
♪ workin' in the dark against your fellow man ♪
♪ but as sure as God made black and white ♪
♪ what's done in the dark will be brought to the light ♪