03x10 - One Angry Jake

Episode transcripts from season 2 to 6 and the pilot script. Show now ended.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

Jake Doyle and his father Malachy run a private investigations agency in St. John's, Newfoundland. Their cases involve them in all sorts of dealings - not all of them on the right side of the law.

03x10 - One Angry Jake

Post by bunniefuu »

[Narrator] Previously on Republic of Doyle...

[Jake] Your new boyfriend is becoming a real pain in the ass.

[Leslie] He's beau et charmant.

[Jake] People have told me that I can be very beau et charmant.

[Walter] You have to do everything in your power to get Tinny, or you're gonna die alone.

[Tinny] Are you asking me out?

[Des] What?

[Des] I should have asked you out properly.

[Tinny] I would have said no, Des.

[Mal] I know about you and Kathleen.

[Walter] He knows about us.

[Kathleen] You know, I'm a grown woman and I can make my own choices.

[Mal] Just do me a favour. When you break up with him, don't make it my problem.

[Kathleen] Daddy really wants you to tell Jake.

[Walter] You slept with my sister first.

[Jake] Yeah, but when you found out, you-- you punched me in the face.

[Luke] Sabrina McCarthy needs to go to jail for the m*rder of her husband, Tom McCarthy. All the evidence points to her.

Now I for one will not be held responsible for a mistrial because we can't all agree. Now after all the time we've spent deliberating we should all be on the same page now. So shall we try this again?

Guilty.

[Luke] Not guilty.

[Luke] What? You too, now, Nora?

[Nora] He makes a lot of sense.

[Jake] B'ys, just think about it. Just because Tom and Sabrina had a bad relationship, doesn't mean that she k*lled her husband. How many of us would be in jail if we ended all of our romantic disputes with the odd m*rder?

[Luke] Well how about you listen to the facts, juror number eight?

[Luke] Now let's do this.

(Drilling)

(Construction noises)

[Luke] Now I know why you think she's innocent.

You want to sleep with her. It's pathetic.

[Nora] Who's that guy?

[Jake] No idea, but, you know, he's been here every day of this trial.

[Baliff] All rise.

[Judge Tizzard] B'ys, don't tell me you're still at that stupid renovation. Just cause it's a government job doesn't mean it should take twice as long. Come on! Wrap it up! Alright, sit down.

[Judge Tizzard] I have every confidence that you crowd in the jury will have finally come to a unanimous decision. Get to it.

[Construction worker] (Scream)

(Crash)

(Commotion)

[Sabrina] You wanna be a hero?

[Judge Tizzard] What do you think you're doing, young lady?

[Sabrina] Put down the g*ns.

[Jake] B'ys, don't sh**t me please.

[Sabrina] Put them down and this guy won't die.

[Judge Tizzard] Just do what she says.

[Sabrina] Back up.

[Sabrina] I didn't k*ll my husband. I've never even held a g*n before until right now, so how could I sh**t him?

[Jake] Well, if you've never held a g*n before, the thing that your finger's on is called a trigger. Please don't pull it.

[Sabrina] Help me. Please.

[Judge Tizzard]
Someone do something!

(Commotion)

[Judge Tizzard] Go after her!

♪ oh yeah (Oh yeah!) ♪
♪ oh yeah (Oh yeah!) ♪
♪ oh yeeeah oh yeeeah ♪
♪ oh yeah! ♪

[Judge Tizzard] This will not be a mistrial. We are doing this.

I-- I don't care if we have a defendant or not. Okay, now, where are we?

[Luke] We're deadlocked, my lord. Now I'm sure this one here had something to do with this.

[Judge Tizzard] Did you?

[Luke] He's the lone stand out.

He's starting a mutiny in there!

And why'd she choose you to be the hostage?

[Jake] I don't know. Good taste?

[Judge Tizzard] Until you figure this out, even though this is not a common practice in this province, you are sequestered.

All of ye, fix this.

[Leslie] Randall, I understand you're a regular at these hearings. Your interest for being present at her trial is?

[Randall] To support Tom, my brother. Or at least his memory.

You know, it's been hard since he passed. He's really the brains behind Gallow's. Sergeant I'm sorry, but honestly, I don't have a clue where Sabrina would go.

[Jake] Sorry.

[Leslie] Fine, but we'll be talking again.

[Jake] Hi there. Listen, you happen to find Sabrina yet by any chance?

[Leslie] We'll get her. No one's leaving this building without my permission, seeing as there's a, an alleged k*ller on the loose.

[Jake] Alleged. Exactly. And, you know, I'm sure you will find her because you're excellent at your job, but listen I was just gonna say that this whole case is pretty circumstantial.

You know what I mean? I am dying in there. I could use any bit of information that, you know, you might have.

[Leslie] Bailiff? Take him away please.

[Jake] No, no, look! Leslie!

Leslie, the m*rder w*apon, okay?

You know, you gotta find the m*rder w*apon. We need that g*n, so...

[Leslie] You know, we never thought to look for a g*n.

Thanks Jake.

[Leslie] Bye bye.

[Jake] Okay! Well, I'm comin'!

[Jake] Well that was, that was dramatic. But, uh, don't worry.

I'm okay.

[Luke] Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. That's my seat, number eight. Hand over your phones to the bailiff.

[Jake] Marking your territory, I get it. Don't worry boss, we all know you're in charge.

[Luke] Rules, all meals will be brought in. Bathroom breaks, only one person out of the room at a time. And there will be no phone calls unsupervised. If we come up with a unanimous verdict, we all get to go home.

It's that simple. Any questions?

[Jake] Yeah. Say you've got, like, a medical condition and you need medication. It's a life or death kind of thing, you know? So what do you do then?

[Luke] Someone could bring it in for you.

[Jake] Deadly. Because I've got this allergy thing that's happening to me. I-- I don't know if it's happening to anyone else, but it's really hitting my head. Your cologne is triggering it. It smells horrible. It's like "au de karate brutal".

Anyways, I'll go make a call and, uh, get someone to bring it in for me, eh b'y?

[Luke] Supervised.

[Jake] You got it... boss.

[Jake] Bailiff?

(Door opening)

(Slam!)

[Mal] Hard at it, son?

[Des] Yes, I'm studying, uh, because a man with an education goes to places where there are no bounds.

(Phone ringing)

[Jake] Dad? Hey, how ya doing?

Listen, I, uh, I need a favour.

[Mal] Sorry son. Not in the mood to talk to you right now. I won't bother to make up an excuse. Bye.

[Des] Jake, do you think I'm handsome? I mean, would you classify me as, oh...

An attractive man?

[Jake] Yes, Des, you're very handsome. Now listen to me, carefully. I'm at the court house. I need you to come down here and, and bring me my allergy medication in the bathroom by the cabinet.

[Des] What? You-- you have allergies? That's another thing that we have in common! I don't even know how to take this. When did they start?

[Jake] Des, shut up. I am currently sequestered on a jury, and I can only have access to life and death medication, do you understand me?

[Des] Oh my God. You're talking to me in code. I've always dreamed of this moment.

[Jake] Shut up and get down here. I'm timing you.

[Des] Okay.

[Luke] You all saw what happened. Sabrina did not help her case. If you had any doubts before, this should erase it.

Only guilty people run!

[Jake] Oh come on. Desperate people run too, right?

[Nora] She held a saw to your throat and a g*n to your back.

And even after all that, you're still convinced she's not guilty?

[Jake] Well, it's possible that maybe she didn't feel like she was getting a fair shake in here, especially with, uh, tool-hand Luke here at the helm. Let's piece this together bit by bit.

[Luke] No, no! Hey, look, I'm the foreman here.

[Jake] Okay, relax buddy. We all know that you're the foreman.

Yes. Now the police say that whoever k*lled Tom used a pillow to muffle the g*nsh*t. So let me ask you, does Sabrina McCarthy strike you as the type that would k*ll someone... (Click)

Execution style?

[Nora] No.

[Jake] Me either. That brings me to my next point. Sabrina says she came home, she tripped over Tom's dead body, and that's how she ended up covered in blood, right? If you came home late at night, decided to k*ll your spouse, would you just sit there, wait for the cops to show up, covered in your victim's blood?

[Nora] I wouldn't.

[Jake] I wouldn't either. That brings me to the g*n. Humor me, mister, uh, foreman. Did they find the g*n?

[Luke] No they didn't. Which means she did a great job of getting rid of it.

[Jake] Not in the house, she didn't. The police checked everywhere. You see, if you don't have a g*n, then you don't have any proof.

[Luke] Motive. She stood to gain a fortune from the Gallow's brewery now that her husband is dead.

[Jake] Now let me ask you, let me ask all of you. Is there anybody else, anyone in the world besides Sabrina, who could benefit from Tom's death?

[Jake] Looking for me? Okay, I gotta go. I'll, uh, see you around. File those for me.

[Des] Oh, hey, hey. I brought you some decent food.

I know how bad prison food can be.

[Jake] I'm not in jail, Des.

[Des] The security around here is intense. They were gonna pat down the sandwich.

(Laughing)

(Clears throat)

[Jake] Colon care pills?

[Des] Well that's the only thing I could find in the office bathroom. So--Uh, oh, FYI, they are expired.

[Jake] Okay, listen, I don't have enough information on this case and I'm gonna need your help.

[Des] I'm the man of the hour.

And hours. Well, whatever you need me to be really. I'm on it.

[Jake] Just don't tell anyone you're helping me.

Okay look. You see this guy behind you? Don't stare right at him! I need you to go over to him right now and find out anything you can. Go. Now.

Go, go, go.

[Des] Okay.

[Jake] Go.

[Des] (Clears throat) Hey!

Hey... Gerry.

Hey man! Gerry, it's me.

Ricardo. Hey!

[Owen] I don't know you.

[Des] Gerry! Ger-man! Ger!

[Owen] Buddy, my name's Owen.

Now go away, will ya?

(Cell phone beeping)

[Jake] That was... pathetic.

[Des] Hey, at least I found out that his name is Owen, and that he is a very tense man.

[Jake] Hey, you got a photo.

Goodbye now.

[Des] My phone, my phone.

My phone!

[Jake] Well, Owen, buddy.

What is your story?

(Creaking)

[Sabrina] I was wondering when you were going to show up.

[Sabrina] Look, I'm sorry about before. I need your help.

[Jake] Ha. You are in some serious trouble here.

Shh! Do you hear that?

[Jake] Now, I want to help you.

I do, but I really don't appreciate having a g*n stuck in my face.

[Sabrina] Sorry, but if you don't give me back that g*n...

I don't know what I'm gonna do.

[Jake] Alright, remember what I said about not liking having a g*n stuck in my face? Well, there's one thing I like a lot less than that, and that's anything sharp stuck in that region.

[Sabrina] The g*n.

[Jake] Copy.

[Sabrina] Thank you.

Let's go.

[Jake] You know, you are taking a bit of risk, showing your face in public like this. I mean, you're plastered on every news station in the province.

Plus, we're literally returning to the scene of the crime.

You know that, right?

[Sabrina] I need to find a m*rder w*apon. Something, anything to clear me. Before he was k*lled, Tom had complained to the cops that someone was after him.

[Jake] I'm sorry, but isn't that Randall? Is that your brother-in-law? What's he doing?

[Sabrina] Looks like he's cleaning me out.

[Jake] He's stealing from you?

What, does he need money or something?

[Sabrina] He gets everything from Tom's will if I go to jail.

Okay?

(Car engine)

[Jake] Wow.

This is a nice place.

[Jake] That's quite the brother-in-law you have.

[Sabrina] Yeah. I never really liked him. I didn't think he'd stoop so low though.

[Jake] There is something wrong here.

[Sabrina] What?

[Jake] I can't figure out what it is, but I studied those crime photos and, and, and there's something missing in this room.

[Sabrina] I need to get changed, but obviously I need to keep an eye on you too, so look away Jake.

[Jake] Of course. I, uh... yeah.

(Clears throat)- Looking...
[Sabrina] - Thanks.

[Jake] There's no b*ll*ts in this g*n.

[Sabrina] Yeah. I hate g*ns. But mostly b*ll*ts.

[Jake] Me too.

[Jake] Oh, sorry. Just... I'm not looking. You know, you should get changed in the other, in the other room.

Sorry.

[Rose] Hey, Des, what are you up to?

[Des] Oh hey, um, uh, nothing.

Uh, this it's just a, uh, um, uh--

Isn't that Sabrina McCarthy?

[Des] Yeah. Yeah. Jake has me helping him from the outside.

[Rose] Jake's got you investigating the case he's a juror on?

[Mal] What else does he have you doing for him?

[Des] Nothing. That's it. Just the pic. Zero. Nada.

[Rose] Well, I suppose it's kind of nice that he's trying to help this girl out.

(Phone ringing)

[Rose] Not too bright, but nice all the same.

[Mal] How is it that you're calling me right now, Des?

[Des] Um, Jake commandeered my phone, I was bound by law...

[Mal] You are something else, you know that?

[Jake] Listen, I need your help.

[Mal] Isn't Sabrina's lawyer supposed to be handling this?

[Jake] Yeah, well I'm kind of at Sabrina McCarthy's house...

With Sabrina McCarthy.

[Mal] Oh good. Running around with a fugitive m*rder*r now.

Excellent. I hope you're very happy together.

[Jake] Dad, my gut is telling me she didn't do this, okay? I need you to check Randall McCarthy's alibi the night that Tom was k*lled. I mean, I just saw the guy stealing from his dead brother's house. There's something not right with him.

[Rose] Okay, done.

[Des] Oh, uh, so Owen... Disgruntled employee from Gallow's and Tom McCarthy, who fired him just a few days before he was m*rder*d.

[Rose] Owen tried to file a worker's comp claim for an eye injury, but McCarthy wouldn't sign.

[Owen] Turn around. Now.

[Des] And this Owen guy looks like a total sketch bag if you ask me.

[Jake] Yeah, that sounds pretty accurate.

[Owen] Put the phone down. And the g*n. And the phone.

I said that. Look, just do it, luh!

Okay, I'm putting the phone down. I'm...

Jake?

[Jake] You're Owen. Am I right?

[Jake] You--

[Sabrina] (Scream)

(g*n sh*t)

(Smack!)

(Scuffling)

[Jake] Sabrina, get out of here!

(Scuffling)

(Whack!)

[Jake] (Thud)

♪ Yeeah ♪

[Jake] We gotta find Sabrina, alright? This Owen guy? He's a real wing-nut, and I think he's out to hurt her.

[Des] You know, if Owen is a disgruntled employee-gone-madman, he might have designs on the whole family, and he got a taste for it when he k*lled Tom McCarthy in a fit of rage.

[Rose] Check this out. This is weird. Owen is still on the payroll at Gallow's and Randall is the one signing his paychecks.

[Jake] So what are we thinking, this is some kind of pay off?

[Mal] Whatever it is, we'll figure it out. You get back to that courthouse before there's a city-wide search out for you too.

[Jake] Dad!

[Mal] No Jake. The best chance she has is a solid defense in that deliberation room, and there's no one else fighting for her besides you. Now go.

[Jake] Alright, fine. But first, I need you to give this to Leslie.

[Rose] (Scoffing noise)

[Jake] No, there's a... There's a g*n in here, and I think it might be the m*rder w*apon that k*lled Tom.

[Mal] Okay. Go.

[Jake] (Sigh)

[Des] You up for a drink and a chat with Mr. Randall McCarthy?

[Rose] Why Des Courtney, are you asking me out on a date?

[Des] Uh...

(Door opening)

[Jake] (Groaning)

[Judge Tizzard] You're not in here trying to get some candid snaps of me for the scope magazine or something, are you?

[Jake] Oh no, no, no, your precious. No.

[Judge Tizzard] The, uh, the bailiff tells me that you've been in here for over an hour.

[Jake] Yeah. Yeah. I have, uh, colon issues. Like you said, I've been gone a long time, so I should get back into that room and get you a verdict.

[Randall] Alright ladies, pack it up, the crowd is gonna be here soon.

[Des] Okay, let me handle this.

[Des] Excuse me, Randall.

[Randall] You must be the guy who called about the car. Let's go take at look at her. Brand new beemer, man, all the bells and whistles. A complete steal for 15 grand.

[Rose] We're independent private investigators. We're looking into the death of your brother.

[Randall] Really? I thought that investigation was over a long time ago.

[Des] Officially, yes, but can we ask you a couple of questions?

(Clears throat)

Do you think Sabrina k*lled Tom?

Sabrina? Well, the cops think so, but--

Are you sure you didn't k*ll him?

[Randall] No I didn't. What's wrong with his voice?

[Rose] You know, I'd say it's puberty, but I don't think he's reached it yet.

[Des] I'm sorry. Where were you the night Tom was k*lled? We just need location and details and all that.

[Randall] I was at the Gallow's promo til about 3 A.M. and then you can go and ask the rest of the 200 people that were there.

[Rose] What about, uh, Owen banks?

[Rose] You know him?

[Randall] Owen? He lost his job at the brewery. Haven't seen him since.

[Rose] Really?

[Randall] Sorry.

[Rose] Oh, that's wild, because he's still on your payroll.

[Randall] Guess I'll have to ask accounting about that. Linda, you're k*lling me here. Stack those kegs!

[Rose] I guess we'll let accounting tell him his company assets have been frozen. Go to the office and fill Mal in. I gotta grab something from the house.

[Des] Roger that.

[Des] Sorry.

[Luke] You've been gone for over an hour.

[Jake] Yeah. Uh, sorry everyone.

Sorry. I-- I kinda got lost, but it's all good now.

[Luke] No. There's nothing good about this, Doyle. You know what? I'm gonna get you gone off this jury. You mark my words.

[Jake] Why would you do that now, Luke?

[Nora] Hey, can we just back to it please?

[Jake] Absolutely.

(Cell phone ringing)

[Luke] Is that... Is that a phone?

[Jake] Phone? Phone? A phone?

Oh my... look at that!

It-- There is-- It is a phone.

[Luke] Gimme... Give me the-- Give me the phone!

[Jake] Alright, b'y, alright.

Relax. You are uptight, but you're-- you're very, very good at your job. I should hire you.

You know, I... I own my own business.

I'm a private detective.

[Jake] What is this foolish mathematical equation doing up here? What happened to all the pictures? Here's the good news.

I think I've found two more people who may have a motive to k*ll Tom. Randall McCarthy... And Owen banks.

[Nora] Nice art work.

[Jake] Well, they're obviously not exact likenesses, but they'll do. Now Owen banks was fired from Gallow's brewery just two days before Tom was k*lled.

And Randall McCarthy--
Now Randall is the deceased's brother, but guess what. If Sabrina is convicted for the m*rder of Tom McCarthy, Randall inherits everything.

[Jake] Motive?

[Luke] Washroom break.

And Mr. hot-sh*t here had a phone.

[Jake] Yeah, I found it in the bathroom. I was gonna return it.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I propose we go back and we start at the very beginning.

What do you say?

[Nora] Oh man. Again?

[Mal] Got a bit of a situation, eh?

[Leslie] That's putting it mildly. How can I help you Malachy?

[Mal] This came my way today and I thought I might bring it to you.

[Leslie] Where'd this come from?

[Mal] I don't know. Anonymous.

Weird things just happen sometimes.

[Leslie] I saw Jake earlier. He said I needed to find a missing g*n, and then you suddenly show up with a g*n.

[Mal] I know. Weird.

[Leslie] What are the odds this has something to do with the McCarthy trial? Tell me what all this is about Malachy.

Start talking.

[Kathleen] Hello? Anyone home?

[Kathleen] Where can I put this so the braintrust can't find it?

(Door opening)

[Kathleen] Hey!

[Rose] Hey, what are you doing home?

[Kathleen] Oh, I was just looking for dad actually. Uh, have you seen him around?

[Rose] No, I think he's at the office.

[Kathleen] Oh.

[Rose] Anything I can do?

[Kathleen] No. Just, uh, it was a small thing. Just...

[Rose] Really Kathleen, because you look like you're about to jump out of your skin?

[Kathleen] Oh. You know, I didn't sleep at all last night.

It was just... yeah, I think I'm over-tired or something. Yeah.

(Phone ringing)

[Rose] You gonna get the phone?

Your phone.

[Kathleen] (Nervous laughter)

Yeah.

[Kathleen] Walter. Again.

[Rose] Oh.

[Kathleen] I gotta run, Rose. It's been a lot of-- I'll see you later.

[Rose] Okay.

[Kathleen] See you later, Rose. Bye.
[Jake] Okay, who here still thinks that Sabrina is guilty?

[Nora] Honestly, I never really believed she was guilty.

[Jake] Well, seven of these people do, and if we count our good foreman's vote, that brings us to eight.

[Luke] Get out of my seat.

[Jake] Man, what is with you and the whole seat thing? And tell us all, why are you so intent on convicting Sabrina?

[Luke] And why are you so intent on letting her go? Huh? You're the only hold out. Everybody else here was with me.

[Jake] Yeah, well I'm not with you because you're a bully, and like all bully d*ck-heads, whenever you are confronted you will back down.

[Jake] (Thud)

Oh my God!

(Chatter)

[Jake] It's alright everyone.

It's okay. He's a bully, remember? And any minute he is gonna run away.

(Whack!)

(Shouting)

This is ridiculous, I'm leaving!

Who's in charge here?

(Chatter)

[Nora] Okay. Stop. I think we should ask the bailiff if we can take five. It's getting a little testosterone heavy in here.

[Jake] Ah... okay, that's a good idea. I, uh... bathroom break!

[Nora] Yeah.

[Luke] This ain't over.

[Jake] Yeah.

[Des] Hey Mal? Hey, uh, is Mal around?

[Tinny] Don't know. Don't care.

[Des] Are you okay?

[Tinny] Of course I am. I always am.

[Des] Oh my God, you're... You're like actually sad.

[Tinny] Can you just shut up for once and give me a hug?

[Des] Okay.

[Des] Um... it'll be okay.

There there.

[Tinny] Shut up.

(Sigh)

[Des] Okay, so what exactly are we not talking about?

[Tinny] I don't know, I'm just... I'm getting the sneaking suspicion that mom is about to bolt again.

[Des] Oh, Tin-- No, she's happy here, Tinny. I'm-- I'm sure it's fine.

[Tinny] Thank you. Tell anyone you saw me like this, and I'll tear your skin off.

[Des] Nice.

Please don't tear my skin off.

[Tinny] (Sigh)

[Des] There there.

[Tinny] Shut up.

[Des] Okay.

[Luke] Look, mostly everyone's on my side except for this one moron. He's making it difficult for me... I understand. A guilty verdict is the best outcome, but it shouldn't change our deal...

Okay, okay, fine, fine. I'll do my best.

[Jake] Now who were you on the phone with?

(Door opening)

[Judge Tizzard] Again with the bathroom, Mr. Doyle?

[Jake] Yeah. The medication I'm on, it's really, you know, causing a lot of problems with my system. What's your excuse?

[Judge Tizzard] Jurors are not meant to have contact with the presiding judge during deliberation Mr. Doyle. And you may wish to leave before you face a contempt of court charge.

You may not have noticed, but I'm not exactly the most patient of men.

[Jake] Judge Tizzard, I am not trying to be difficult here.

[Judge Tizzard] Who-- who do you think you are, Henry Fonda? In there trying to change the minds of a bunch of people who just don't care?

[Jake] Look, I'm pretty sure that, uh, someone in there is really pushing hard for a guilty verdict.

[Judge Tizzard] That's odd, as my sources tell me that you are the squeaky wheel in there, holding up a perfectly sound verdict.

[Jake] I just feel like there's some agenda against Sabrina and this entire case.

[Judge Tizzard] (Laughing)

And you don't have an agenda, Mr. Doyle? Now just tell me, what, what are you doing right now--
Right here-- Talking to me? Huh?

[Jake] (Groan)

I am so sorry. Oh! This whole medication thing that I'm on, it's really causing havoc--
[Judge Tizzard] - Just get out!

Get out of this bathroom! Just get out!

[Jake] Okay. Listen, you're doing a great job, by the way.

Sorry. Coordination's off, it's...
(Clears throat)

[Leslie] Mal, you gotta tell me where you found the g*n.

[Mal] You may want to talk to a man named Owen banks. He may have had it last.

[Leslie] Jake told you this?

[Mal] Leslie, I know more than most how much of a mess Jake can be, but he wouldn't be trying to prevent this girl from going to jail if he wasn't sure she was innocent. Look, you have the m*rder w*apon now, so you can talk to this Owen banks character.

[Leslie] Except this isn't the m*rder w*apon. This is the g*n that sh*t McCarthy in the arse.

[Mal] There were two g*ns?

[Leslie] Yeah.

(Phone ringing)

[Leslie] You'd better get that.

And you can go. Please.

[Jake] Dad.

[Mal] J.B. Tizzard? You stole the judge's cell phone?

[Jake] Stop. Please. Okay? I'm hiding in a broom closet. I need you to look into Luke Shaw. I know he's up to something.

[Mal] That g*n you found isn't the m*rder w*apon. There's a second g*n.

[Jake] You mean the g*n that k*lled Tom is still out there?

[Mal] And there are two sh**t. Maybe.

[Jake] Alright. Listen, I gotta go. Hopefully when we talk next time you'll have found our friend Sabrina. Alright?

Goodbye.

[Mal] Okay.

(Chatter)

(Knocking)

(Door opening)

[Sabrina] Hi.

Hi. Uh--

Is this where Jake Doyle lives?

[Kathleen] Uh, yeah. Sometimes.

Are you a friend of his?

[Sabrina] He's actually working a case for me. Some... who are you?

[Kathleen] Kathleen. I'm, uh, his sister, actually. You want a drink or something?

[Sabrina] Oh my God, yeah. I'd love a drink. Thank you.

[Kathleen] Great.

[Sabrina] (Yelp)

[Kathleen] (Scream)

[Sabrina] What do you want?

[Owen] You're coming with me this time.

[Kathleen] You get out of my house, buddy, or I will cut you.

(Door opening)
[Kathleen] I swear.

[Rose] I wouldn't call her bluff, Owen. Cops are going to be here in about 45 seconds.

You're already outnumbered. So make the right choice. Get out of my house.

[Owen] I'm not finished with you.

[Rose] Get out!

[Rose] You ladies okay?

[Sabrina] Yeah, I think so.

[Rose] Probably should get you back to the office, Sabrina, right? Hey, not the first guy who realized he couldn't mess with Kathleen Doyle. You did okay, dear.

[Jake] Thank you for the use of your phone, Judge Tizzard. Now what are you--

(Door opening)

[Nora] (Laughing)

[Luke] Yeah.

[Nora] Oh!

[Nora/Luke] (Kissing)

[Luke] I've been waiting for this all day.

[Nora] Oh, me too.

[Nora/Luke] (Kissing)

[Luke] - Mmmm...

[Nora] - What if someone comes in?

[Luke] They won't.

[Jake] Hi!

This is a surprise I have to say.

Carry on.

♪ Oh yeah ♪

[Jake] You realize you're not in the backseat of your car at a drive-in in mount pearl. You know that, right?

[Luke] Under the circumstances, it's-- it's not unusual for-- for this kind of thing to happen.

[Jake] Oh, when you tense, stressed, your pants just spontaneously drop to the floor, do they?

[Nora] It's just being together in that little room all day, side by side, it was bound to happen.

[Jake] Uh, we've only been sequestered for, like, a few hours.

[Luke] L-- l-- look, what happens on the jury trial, stays on the jury trial.

And it's our word against yours.

(Door slamming)

[Nora] Please don't say anything, Jake.

[Jake] I don't know, Nora. From the outside it looks like you two might be in on something together.

[Nora] No, no. Nothing like that. Just...

Trying to change his mind.

[Jake] I'm not convinced.

[Nora] Wait! Okay, look. What about money? I can get you money. Um, I know a guy willing to pay for not guilty votes.

[Jake] What? Would you, um... Sorry. Would you mind, uh, repeating that?

[Nora] I know a guy willing to pay for not guilty votes.

[Jake] Really? How much money are we talking about here?

[Nora] 15 thousand a piece. At least that's what he promised.

[Jake] $15,000? You got a name?

Who is he?

[Nora] I don't know. He called this morning. He sounded real panicked.

[Jake] Oh. That's one way to change someone's mind, huh?

[Nora] 15 thousand is 15 thousand.

[Jake] And here all this time I thought it was my sound logic and possibly a little bit of charm that brought you around.

Anything else you want to add for the record?

[Nora] Damn.

[Mal] Who is this Owen banks to you, Sabrina?

[Sabrina] No one. I don't know the man.

[Rose] Not even from the brewery?

[Sabrina] I didn't go there often. It was Tom's place.

[Mal] So you don't know why Owen is after you? Because he's pretty determined. And relentless.

[Sabrina] I have no idea, Mr. Doyle.

[Mal] I think she's telling the truth.

[Rose] Yeah, me too. Maybe we should go stake-out her house again. If Owen found her there before...

[Mal] ...He may expect to find her there again.

[Mal/Rose] (Kiss)

[Mal] Des?

[Des] Yes?

[Mal] We're gonna go watch Sabrina's house for a bit. Hold down the fort, okay?

[Des] You got it.

[Des] Okay, so, uh, what do you want to do? I mean we can talk personal matters, money matters, case matters, or we can play cribbage. What do you think?

[Nora] 15 thousand a piece. At least that's what he promised.

[Judge Tizzard] Do you have any idea of the number of charges you're facing, young lady?

Obstruction of justice, taking bribes, interfering with a jury?

[Nora] I'm so sorry, my lord.

Please, I'll do anything.

[Judge Tizzard] Clearly. Nora fleet, you are excused from any further duty. Now go home.

[Jake] I'm pretty sure that the jury tampering doesn't end with our friend Nora there.

[Judge Tizzard] On that we agree. You want to tell me why you were recording a jury?

[Jake] That isn't mine. Okay? I brought it to you. I found it in the deliberation room.

[Judge Tizzard] Sure you did.

And-- and you got something on it that you thought was worth sharing with someone. Uh, you were clever enough to erase the history, but I checked my phone records online and there was one call there about-- about a minute-and-a-half to Malachy Doyle. I guess you were missing your daddy, were you?

[Jake] We're very, very close.

And, uh, uh... you know, he's really old. He could die any minute, so...
[Judge Tizzard] - I warned you.

You're off this jury. I could still get a verdict from 10 jurors, and I intend to.

Goodbye.

[Jake] Hi everyone. Don't worry.

I'm just here to say goodbye and, you know, sign up for the jury reunion or whatever.

[Luke] Yeah, well, good riddance. Finally some justice being served.

[Jake] I see news travels fast, don't it?

[Luke] Yeah, well finally we can wrap this bad-boy up.

[Jake] Yeah, well I wouldn't rest on my laurels yet buddy. I think our jury is still out on this one. Ladies and gentlemen, it's been a pleasure-- Oh my God, look at that!

[Jake] Thought something.

See ya. Nice to see you again.

Cheers.

[Rose] You would have been very proud of your daughter today, Malachy.

[Mal] I am every day.

[Rose] You know what I mean. You got some pretty fearless kids.

[Mal] Yeah. And historically that isn't necessarily proven to be a good thing.

[Rose] Kathleen seemed, um, out of sorts today.

[Mal] Yeah, I suppose she was since that maniac walked into our house.

[Rose] Well actually I saw her before that. She seemed--

I don't know, strange.

Everything alright, Mal? Do you know?

[Mal] Probably something to do with work.

(Phone ringing)

[Mal] Jake. Fired again.

[Jake] Yeah, yeah, yeah. Listen, that judge? He wanted me gone.

[Mal] I know the feeling. So now who's going to be on Sabrina's side in that jury room?

[Jake] I don't know, but we gotta find more evidence.

[Mal] It looks like Randall might be trying to blow town, trying to raise some cash. He tried to sell his $80,000 car to Des for 15 grand.

[Jake] Did you just say $15,000?

There was a, uh, there was a juror being bought off for that exact amount.

[Mal] So Randall was trying to ensure Sabrina goes to jail?

[Jake] No, I don't think so. I think he was buying an innocent vote.

[Mal] He's trying to help Sabrina?

[Jake] Dad, I gotta go.

(Car engine)

(Door shutting)

[Des] (Muffled pleas)

[Jake] Des!

[Des] (Muffled pleas)

[Des] Ow! Ow! Why would you--
Oh, actually that's probably good for exfoliation. Do it again.

[Jake] Where is Sabrina?

[Des] Man, I-- look, I-- I don't know. I did not see her coming.

She-- she-- she was super strong, moves like a cheetah--

[Jake] Des.

[Des] She's gone. Sabrina escaped.

[Des] (Groan)

♪Yeeah♪

[Jake] So, what do we got on Luke, the foreman?

[Rose] Not much. No criminal record. Squeaky clean.

[Jake] He's working some kind of angle. We just gotta figure out what.

[Mal] Why is he still taped up?

[Jake] Well, he's, you know, gotta think about what he did wrong.

[Mal] Untape him.

(Rip!)

[Des] Oooow, b'y!

Although the exfoli--
[Jake] - Shut up.

[Rose] Okay guys, check this out. I was talking to my friend over at the sh**ting range. She says that Tom McCarthy was there almost every day before he d*ed.

[Mal] Looks like Tom did own a g*n.

[Rose] Yeah, but Sabrina insisted that they didn't.

[Jake] Maybe she didn't know.

[Rose] Okay, so maybe Randall is paying Owen after he's fired.

Maybe the two of them conspired to k*ll Tom and frame Sabrina.

[Mal] Why would Randall pay for a not guilty vote? Guilty conscience?

[Rose] Also got Owen's cell phone records. Calls made to Tom before he d*ed. Dozens and dozens of calls lasting only seconds.

[Jake] Were they hang-ups?

[Rose] Looks like it. It's the kind of thing that'll make you paranoid, like someone's after you.

[Mal] So much so that you might buy a g*n.

[Des] Wait, wait, wait! Sabrina was, uh, she was yelling at someone on the phone, on the landline.

[Rose] Uh, okay.

[Jake] Put it on speaker phone.

[Rose] Alright.

You've reached The Highway Lounge on George Street. Tonight we're hosting a Gallow's beer event--

[Des] That's the same bar that, uh, we-- we talked to Randall.

He must have taken Sabrina there.

Please let me go with you, Jake.

I already got a read on this weasel. Come on!

[Mal] Take him. Untape him.

[Jake] Okay. You can go.

[Des] Aw, thanks.

[Mal] Des.

(Police siren)

[Des] Most dark.

[Jake] Turn on the light.

[Des] Okay, so Randall pays off Owen, and then he tries to buy Sabrina's innocence, and then she runs to Randall... well what do you think? Do you think they're all in cahoots to try to, uh-- in Tom's m*rder?

[Jake] - Des. [Des] - What?

(Footsteps)

[Jake] Well look at this.

[Sabrina] Jake, I'm really sorry. Des. Sorry for tying you up.

[Des] That's cool.

[Sabrina] I'm in love with Randall. Doesn't mean I k*lled my husband.

[Jake] You're in love with Randall? That is not fit. So I'm guessing that, uh, you don't realize that this guy, your new boyfriend here, he paid Owen to terrorize your husband.

[Des] Randall, we got proof that you paid Owen to harass Tom.

[Sabrina] Randall, did you k*ll my husband, your own brother?

[Randall] No! No, no. Uh, Owen wasn't supposed to k*ll Tom.

I just wanted to scare him so he'd sell his share of the business to me.

[Sabrina] Owen was the reason that Tom was so freaked out. He was sleeping with a baseball bat under his bed. And now he's dead? For the business?

[Randall] I know. But he-- he wasn't supposed to die.

[Sabrina] You let me go through a trial. All that time that I spent locked up, and you knew that I didn't k*ll Tom.

[Randall] I did. And I tried to pay off a juror, and-- and I went broke doing it.

[Jake] Wait, wait. You decided to pay off the juror as opposed to, I don't know, use that money to help her get a better lawyer maybe?

[Sabrina] That would have been a better plan. Or maybe just tell the cops that Owen is guilty.

[Jake] - Well, yeah, I'm not so sure--

[Owen] - Alright.

[Des] Oh God!

[Owen] Nobody is going nowhere now. Not without that one going back to trial. She's my ticket out.

[Randall] You k*lled my brother.

[Owen] I didn't mean to k*ll him. You knows that. It was an accident. I stood in the doorway and I aimed for the lamp, and--

[Jake] It's okay buddy. I know.

It was an accident. You didn't mean to sh**t him... in the ass.

Just give me the Kn*fe.

Give me the Kn*fe.

[Jake] I don't think that this guy k*lled Tom.

[Sabrina] Then who did?

♪Oh yeah♪

(Chatter)

[Leslie] The jury will be back with a verdict within the hour.

[Des] So you think she's gonna go down for m*rder that she didn't commit?

[Jake] I don't know. Look, Tom was hiding a g*n somewhere in that house. I need to go have another look.

(Phone ringing)

[Des] Then let's go, right now, double time, because we don't have much... time.

[Jake] Rose?

[Rose] Hey, listen. There's this new cable network premiering a new show next month called "For Whom The Gavel Tolls". It's a docuseries about Canada's most notorious m*rder trials.

[Jake] And let me guess. Someone I know is involved?

[Rose] Well, the show happens to be written by a Luke Shaw, your foreman.

[Jake] Unbelievable. Okay, thanks a lot.

[Des] (Clap) Let's go!

[Jake] This way.

I came... Whoa, is this police tape?

Whoa, hey, hey, are we allowed in here? I don't know if we can come in. The place--
Oh, did you steal those?

[Jake] I, uh, borrowed them.

[Des] Tsk, tsk, tsk, tsk, tsk.

[Jake] The last time I was here with Sabrina, I could just sense that something was off.

[Des] Of course. You could sense that something was off.

[Jake] I can't help but feel like we're just overlooking something.

[Des] Yes. I agree.

[Jake] For some reason this photo was always bothering me.

And it's not the blood. I think... It's the scuff mark.

[Des] The scuff mark.

[Jake] Wait a minute. There was a dresser right there. Randall must have sold it. Des, go move that chair.

[Des] (Grunt)

[Des] Whoa. The vent, and there's no grate! Brilliant!

[Jake] Dessie, I think you're gonna have to stick your hand in that hole.

(Rattling)

[Judge Tizzard] Has the jury reached a verdict?

[Luke] We have finally reached a unanimous verdict, my lord.

[Judge Tizzard] Pass it onto the bailiff who will read it aloud.

[Jake] Whoa! Hey! Oh! Sorry to, uh, interrupt. Sorry Your Honour, your lord, daughter's... Lord.

[Judge Tizzard] For God's sake!

[Leslie] I think you're gonna want to talk with me, in private.

[Judge Tizzard] You think I'm going to what?

[Jake] We have what you would call, uh, relevant, new, pertinent information.

[Judge Tizzard] Get out of my courtroom! Get out, both of you!

[Jake] I have a g*n.

(Gasps)

[Jake] Ha, ha. Don't worry.

Don't sh**t. It's a, uh... It's the m*rder w*apon that k*lled Tom McCarthy. But guess what. It only has one set of prints on it.

[Leslie] And they belong to the deceased.

[Sabrina] What? What-- what are you saying?

[Leslie] Tom was the only person to sh**t that g*n.

[Sabrina] He committed su1c1de?

[Jake] No. No, not exactly. You see, Your Honour, lord, apparently Tom used to like to sleep with a g*n under his pillow, and the night that Owen broke in and sh*t him in the...

Arse, Tom woke up with a start, like he would, and uh...

[Leslie] ...Accidentally sh*t himself.

[Jake] And then when you came into the room, you accidentally kicked the g*n into a vent. And that's where we found it. So that's when they'd say, uh, "voila".

[Sabrina] Thank you.

[Jake] Oh. There's just one more thing, You Honour. I don't want to take up too much of your valuable time, but you should know that your foreman, Luke, here, he has some kind of court TV deal. Apparently the deal gets even sweeter if he brings home a guilty verdict.

[Judge Tizzard] Interesting.

[Mal] Where'd this come from?

[Jake] What do you think? It was a gift from Sabrina for helping her. She, uh, now officially owns the brewery.

[Mal] If this is payment, this could be the best job we ever took. Don't mind if I do sir.

[Kathleen] Yeah, what's your best price on a-- a last minute, uh, one-way fare? Yeah, and so what time-- That super-saver ends... I gotta call you back.

[Jake] Planning a little trip there, sister?

[Kathleen] (Laughs) No.

A job opportunity, actually.

Just weighing the options.

No decision yet.

Is it okay if Tinny, I mean... I should probably fly her out with me, but, you know, I-- I don't know if I'm gonna be staying, or, you know, I'm not sure exactly what's gonna be happening.

[Mal] No, no, no, no.

Absolutely. But we should see what she feels first.

[Kathleen] Yeah. Let's just, uh, let's talk about it later. I think she'll be safer with you, I mean here, than anywhere else.

Anyway... so...

Safer from what exactly?

[Kathleen] Nothing. See you later.

[Mal] - Yeah. [Kathleen] - Bye.

[Jake] Kathleen?

[Kathleen] Yeah?

[Jake] Did you happen to tell your new boyfriend, you know, Walter, that you're going to be leaving maybe?

[Kathleen] Of course. I just got off the phone with him actually.

See you later.

[Mal] Yeah.

[Jake] Bye.

[Jake] And you call me flighty?

[Mal] At least she leaves me alone for large stretches of time.

[Jake] Go away with you. If I was gone, you'd cry yourself to sleep every night.

[Mal] I would shed many tears... Of joy.

[Walter] Nice. Um, Kathleen around? She hasn't been answering any of my messages. We got dinner reservations.

[Walter] What?