06x01 - The Desert Rose

Complete collection of episode transcripts for seasons 1 - 7. Aired: September 2008 to February 2015.*

Moderator: Maggiemay19

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

A famous "psychic" outs himself as a fake and starts working as a consultant for the California Bureau of Investigation so he can find "Red John," the madman who k*lled his wife and daughter.

06x01 - The Desert Rose

Post by bunniefuu »

Updated: MaggieMay19 [30 May 2022]

Post subject: 06x01 - The Desert Rose

Original air date: September 29, 2013

ACT 1

[LISBON and JANE are in the attic room at the CBI. A video of LORELEI, looking beaten-up, is playing on LISBON’s laptop.]

LORELEI (VO): "I want you to take out your list of Red John suspects and look at the names. I'll give you a moment. Okay. The names are... Bret Stiles... Gale Bertram... Raymond Haffner... Reede Smith... Bob Kirkland... Sheriff Thomas McAllister... Brett Partridge. There. I'm going to start k*lling again. Often. Until you catch me... or I catch you."

JANE: (Sighs) [moves outside. LISBON follows] (Exhales)

LISBON: How did he do that?

JANE: Huh?

LISBON: That tape was made two months ago. Red John knew the names on the list of suspects before you did. I mean, how is that even possible?

JANE: Eh, it's a trick.

LISBON: A trick how?

JANE: I don't know.

(LISBON’s phone rings)

LISBON: Lisbon. Chief! I'll be right there. That was Bertram. We have a case.

JANE: Huh?

LISBON: We have a case.

JANE: Now? Uh, I don't want to work right now, Lisbon. I need to think.

LISBON: We need to carry on as normal. We don't want to look freaked out.

JANE: I'm not freaked out.

[LISBON and JANE arrive at the crime scene.] (Indistinct conversations, police radio chatter) (Shutter clicking) (Speaks indistinctly)

POLICE SERGEANT: Hi, guys.

LISBON: Hey, Sarge. Good to see you again.

POLICE SERGEANT: Nice to see you. How are things?

LISBON: It’s been pretty good.

POLICE SERGEANT (to JANE): Hey there! (to LISBON) He can't say hello?

LISBON: Eh, it's a tough day. So, I understand you got the call about 3 hours ago? What’ve we got?

POLICE SERGEANT: The victim's name is Sandra Helvig. She lives her with her fiancé. That's Cody Benbow, the baseball player. So he comes home from practice and finds her lying right here. Looks like she's strangled with her own scarf. Probably dead for a couple of hours...(voice becomes indistinct)

[We follow JANE through the house, leaving behind the body, POLICE SERGEANT and LISBON. JANE looks around a bedroom, checking in the closet and some drawers]

POLICE SERGEANT: (continuing conversation with LISBON) ...back window is broken. There's both jewelry and cash missing. We're thinking that she came home and surprised a burglar. [JANE re-enters crime scene]

LISBON: Well, besides the forced entry, I don't see any obvious signs of a struggle here.

JANE: Hey, Cody, how much was stolen? Dollar value?

BENBOW: I don't know, sir. Her engagement ring alone was 50 grand. Um... A couple hundred grand in total.

JANE: What's your batting average this year?

BENBOW: .260.

JANE: What about last year?

BENBOW: .312.

JANE: Oh. What happened? (Cracks shell)

BENBOW: You came here to talk about baseball?

JANE: [to POLICE SERGEANT, who is staring incredulously at Jane] Yeah, I'm trying to work here, and you're staring at me like I have two heads. [to BENBOW] Do I look like I have two heads?

BENBOW: Uh, no.

JANE: No.

LISBON: Sarge, why don't you and I go outside, do our paperwork?

JANE: (Cracks shell) Cody, look at me. (Door closes) I think it was you that k*lled Sandra.

BENBOW: Sir, you are flat-out wrong. She is the love of my life. Why would I k*ll her?

JANE: You tell me.

BENBOW: There is no reason in the world, sir. No reason.

JANE: Okay, Cody. Fair enough. I know when a man is telling me the truth. Do you have any g*ns?

BENBOW: Do I have any g*ns?

JANE: Yeah.

BENBOW: Y-yeah, yeah, I-I do.

JANE: Where? What kind?

A couple of hand g*ns or so in the safe.

JANE: Show me.

BENBOW: What does g*ns have to do with anything? I'm sorry, but she was strangled. Can you not see that?

JANE: Who's in charge here, me or you? Um, I just want to see your g*ns. I can search this place from the roof to the basement. I can dig up the garden if I want to.

BENBOW: [interrupting] O-okay, all right. Just chill. I'll show you my g*ns. They're in the safe. It's that way.

(Safe beeps)

JANE: (Clears throat) (Chewing) They loaded?

BENBOW: Just the nine.

JANE: Let me see. (Chewing) (Sniffing) (Releases chamber) Hmm. (Chamber clicks) Well, it doesn't look like it's been fired. (Clip clicks) [JANE hands the loaded g*n to BENBOW as he continues talking] Here's the thing, Cody. Sandra wasn't coming home when she was k*lled, was she? She was leaving. She was just about to walk out the door when... you got home. She was leaving you.

BENBOW: (Scoffs) No! We've never been happier.

JANE: She packed her suitcases, left the engagement ring on the table like you were nothing. But you're Cody Benbow, for God sakes. No one can treat you like that.

BENBOW: No.

JANE: And you got mad, and you k*lled her. Then you had to unpack her suitcase, put her clothes and her makeup away. But you did it poorly, like a man putting away a woman's things.

BENBOW: Are you serious? That's your proof? That—that her closet's messy?

JANE: (Clicks tongue) Yeah, you're right. It's not really much, is it? It's not proof. Proof would be finding the jewelry and the cash that was taken from her. But a sensible man like you wouldn't actually throw that money away, would they? Even if they had the time. A sensible man would hide it someplace that no one would think to look. Someplace close, like the garden. You buried it in the garden, didn't you?

[JANE gasps as BENBOW points the g*n at JANE]

BENBOW: You shut your mouth now! Shut your mouth.

JANE: I will take that as a yes.

[Outside] (indistinct conversations) LISBON: What? Oh, no!

MAN (shouting) He's got a g*n!

(Indistinct clamoring as the cops seek refuge and draw their weapons – “drop it”, “get back”, “don’t be stupid”)

BENBOW: Back off, or he's dead.

JANE: Hey, everyone, just relax. There is no need for v*olence. The g*n doesn't work. I put peanuts in the chamber. So just come on down and arrest him.

[BENBOW unsuccessfully fires the g*n, then drops it on the ground]

MALE OFFICER [training his own g*n on BENBOW]: Don't move! Keep your hands where we can see them! Don't move!

[BENBOW pulls out another handgun, fires at the MALE OFFICER and is in turn fatally sh*t by the other cops at the scene]

(Male VO over a radio)We got an officer down! We need a medevac to this location ASAP!

MALE OFFICER Secure his w*apon.

JANE: I'm sorry.

♪ The Mentalist 6x01 ♪

ACT 2I

[LISBON and JANE are waiting in LISBON’s office. BERTRAM approaches]

JANE: Here he comes.

LISBON: Oh, crap.

JANE: Just act naturally. Breathe.

LISBON: I am breathing.

BERTRAM: Have you gone mad? A-are you insane? I-it's a serious question.

JANE: Are you asking her or are you asking me? 'Cause speaking for myself, the answer is no. Lisbon—sane, not sane... Mnh.

LIBON: Sir, I fully recognize that I failed in my duty to oversee Jane's behavior.

JANE: Oh, stop. You did nothing wrong.

BERTRAM: Agent Lisbon did wrong when she failed to stop you furnishing g*ns to a man who used those g*ns to mow down a SAC P.D. officer.

JANE: It was a good plan that went awry. I said "sorry." She's not responsible.

BERTRAM: That's her job. Being responsible.

LISBON: I am responsible.

BERTRAM: SAC P.D. brass wants your blood. So the question is, should I suspend the both of you for a month or—

LISBON: Sir, that is not fair.

BERTRAM: Allow me to complete my thought. Should I suspend you, or should I just send you on an out-of-town case far away from the SAC P.D.?

LISBON: The second option.

BERTRAM: Oh? I-I thought you might prefer a suspension. It frees you up to focus on Red John. I hear you're getting close.

JANE: Oh, yeah? Where'd you hear that?

BERTRAM: Well, you can't keep secrets around here. There's a buzz all around the building. Jane's getting close, or thinks he is. Well, are you?

JANE: Eh, we have some fresh leads. We're trying to keep them a little quiet.

BERTRAM: Oh, yeah. Mum's the word. But if you do get close, you will tell me first, 'cause I need to be on the boat when you catch that fish. Do we understand each other?

LISBON: Yes, sir.

BERTRAM: I know that sometimes I must appear calculating, even duplicitous to you, but please understand it—it comes with the job description. I am many things to many people.

LISBON: We understand.

BERTRAM: In the meantime... (File thuds) Get out of town. Way out of town.

[LISBON and JANE are in a CBI car, driving to SALTON SEA]

LISBON: Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

JANE: No. You're thinking that if Bertram is Red John, he sent us out to the middle of nowhere for a reason. To get us out of the way for when he makes his next move. I am thinking about... Trains. (Train clattering on tracks) Toot toot!

LISBON: So what do we do?

JANE: I don't know.

LISBON: Well, we have to do something. Arrest them all, release the names publicly—something.

JANE: Well, maybe that's what Red John wants us to do.

LISBON: (Sighs) We could at least keep Bertram and the other seven suspects under surveillance if the rest of the team was involved, if they knew.

JANE: No, no. We tell no one about the list. No one.

LISBON: Well, if Red John knows about the list already—

JANE: Anyone else that knows about the list will be in danger. We tell no one. I shouldn't have even told you. (Inhales and exhales)

[At the crime scene: Bombay Beach, Salton Sea, California]

(Indistinct conversations, police radio chatter) (Flies buzzing)

PARTRIDGE: Kind of beautiful and weird, huh? All the flowers.

LISBON: Hey, Partridge.

JANE: How long's the body been here?

PARTRIDGE: About 18 months, probably. Uh... We think he was a large male, early 40s, maybe. No teeth, no fingers. Probably removed by whoever brought him here to prevent identification. But I bet if you cross-reference that frat ring—

JANE: That's what she's doing.

PARTRIDGE: Got you. Yeah.

VAN PELT (VO): Hey, boss. Brooke Yardley.

VAN PELT: He was a Los Angeles real estate developer, 46. His wife reported him missing in August of 2011.

LISBON: I-I want you to run a full profile on this guy ASAP.

VAN PELT: Will do.

PARTRIDGE: Hello, Mr. Yardley. (Buzzing continues) Who did this to ya? Hmm?

LISBON: How long until you're done with forensics and you pull this guy out of here?

PARTRIDGE: Delicate job. Oh, we'll be out of here by tomorrow morning, probably. (Buzzing continues) Something wrong?

JANE: Wrong?

PARTRIDGE: You've been really sullen with me recently, and now you're staring at me strangely, and I don't know why.

JANE: You truly don't know?

PARTRIDGE: (Scoffs) No.

JANE: Hmm.

[JANE and LISBON are in the car while on the phone to VAN PELT]

VAN PELT: Yardley was a wheeler-dealer salesman type. No criminal record, but he had his share of law and tax problems. Bankrupt twice. His car was found abandoned in Los Angeles a couple weeks after his disappearance.

LISBON: Any standout enemies?

VAN PELT: Not off his paper trail. Cho and Rigsby are driving to L.A. in the morning to talk to the wife and son.

LISBON: All right. Jane and I need to stay out here near the crime scene till the body's dug up. We'll give you a call when we find someplace to stay.

VAN PELT: Sure.

LISBON: (Sighs) What's your take on Partridge?

JANE: If he is Red John, he's a very good actor.

LISBON: He would have to be, wouldn't he?

JANE: Wait, slow down. Let's turn here. This looks interesting.

[Inside the Borrego Gap Diner]

(Grill sizzling) WOMAN: Thanks, hon.

MAN: See you tomorrow, Sonya.

SONYA: (chuckles) Hey, folks. Hey, what can I get you?

JANE: Tea, please. Oolong, preferably.

SONYA: Uh...

JANE: Just tea, some loosely scrambled eggs on rye toast, one strip of bacon, and one sausage, thanks.

SONYA: Okay.

LISBON: Coffee and muffin.

SONYA: Okay. Coming right up. (Tears paper)

JANE: You've heard about the dead guy, I guess.

SONYA: (Clicks pen) Yeah, sure. Everybody has.

LISBON: We're with the CBI. We're investigating the case.

JANE: Yeah. Sorry, I— I didn't mean to scare you.

SONYA: Oh, no, no. I— I'm not scared. I just... I've had a bad feeling forever, like I knew there was something evil out there. I knew it. Didn't I, Hec?

HECTOR: Uh-huh.

SONYA: Hunh. (Grill sizzling) Come to think that I'm right? My gosh. (Pouring coffee) I mean, I always knew I had a psychic gift, but this is damn spooky.

JANE: Psychic gift? Excellent. Tell me, uh, will I enjoy your eggs?

SONYA: You betcha. (Giggles)

JANE: We'll see.

JANE [A little later, eating]: Mmm. You're right, Sonya. These are enjoyable eggs.

(SONYA chuckles)

JANE: Room for improvement, but very enjoyable.

SONYA: Good.

LISBON: What are we doing, Jane?

JANE: I'm eating eggs. You're staring at a dry muffin.

LISBON: We need a plan.

JANE: I've been thinking about that.

LISBON: In the meantime, Red John is gonna k*ll again.

JANE: Yeah, probably.

LISBON: Jane, I'm scared.

JANE: He's not psychic.

LISBON: Well, that's not what scares me. Well, no, that scares me, too.

JANE: There's no such thing.

LISBON: I'm scared because I've never seen you like this before. It's like you don't know what to do next.

JANE: Next? Well, pecan pie.

LISBON: Funny. Funny. I'm serious.

JANE: So am I.

LISBON: We need help.

JANE: No.

[Borrego Gap motel, after sunset]

(Insects chirping, wind whistling) LISBON (Sighs) (Dials) (Sighs)

VAN PELT (Cell phone buzzes): Hey, boss.

LISBON: Hey, we need to talk. Are you alone?

VAN PELT: Y-yeah. Well, I mean, Wayne's with me.

LISBON: Call me back as soon as you're on your own.

VAN PELT: Hello? Hello? Lost her. Bad signal in the desert.

RIGSBY: She'll call right back.

VAN PELT: Yep. (Paper in file rustles) Give me a moment, huh?

RIGSBY: Sure. You okay?

VAN PELT: I'm fine. (Door closes)

[VAN PELT calls LISBON back from an empty room. RIGSBY has seen VAN PELT is calling someone]

LISBON: You cannot tell anyone what I'm about to tell you.

VAN PELT: Okay.

LISBON: Jane has worked out that Red John is one of seven men. But Red John also knows the seven names on Jane's list.

VAN PELT: How?

LISBON: We don't know. It's like he's read Jane's mind, which has made Jane paranoid, understandably he doesn't want anyone to know about the list of names. He doesn't know I'm talking to you right now. He thinks whoever knows about the names is in danger, and he's probably right. But I have a strong feeling we need to do something, and I need your help. Do you want me to continue?

VAN PELT: Yes.

LISBON: Thank you. I'm gonna give you the seven names, and I need you to put a G.P.S. bug on each of their cell phones. But you need to do it secretly. Tell no one. Can you do that?

VAN PELT: Yes, I can, but when are you gonna tell Jane?

LISBON: When the time is right.

VAN PELT Okay, I guess. Um... Let me get a pen and paper.

No, I don't want you to write anything down.

VAN PELT: (Takes a deep breath and exhales)

[VAN PELT returns to RIGSBY in the bullpen]

RIGSBY: (Sighs) Everything okay?

VAN PELT: Sure, of course. I, um... spoke to Lisbon. I have work to do.

RIGSBY: Work? Now? What's so urgent?

VAN PELT: Oh... you know Lisbon. No sense of time. You go on home. I'll see you there.

RIGSBY: What's going on, Grace?

VAN PELT: Nothing.

ACT 3

[CHO and RIGSBY are waiting to interview the m*rder victim’s family]

CHO: (Inhales and exhales) Something wrong?

RIGSBY: No.

CHO: (Sighs)

RIGSBY: What do you mean?

CHO: You're acting weird, like you're keeping something from me.

RIGSBY: (Scoffs) What? No, dude. What would I be keeping from you?

CHO: (Exhales) You're acting weird.

RIGSBY: Weird, like how?

CHO: Like you can't look me in the eye.

RIGSBY: Yes, I can. You happy now?

CHO: No. What's going on, Wayne?

[MRS YARDLEY appears at the top of the stairs]

MRS YARDLEY: Am I intruding?

[RIGSBY and CHO are sitting talking with MRS YARDLEY in another room]

MRS YARDLEY: Are you sure it's my husband?

RIGSBY: Mrs. Yardley, we—

MRS YARDLEY: Madison.

RIGSBY: Madison. I'm sorry. We're dealing with a skeleton here, so we can't be sure of I.D. until D.N.A. test results are done. But we think so, yes.

MRS YARDLEY: Oh, thank God. (Sighs) Mm! (Inhales sharply) Oh, don't get me wrong. I loved Brooke very much, but I've known in my heart he's been dead for some time now. He would never have run away without a word. (Breathes deeply) It's just good to finally know the truth. I've been in the most hellish limbo.

CHO: Records indicate he had started divorce proceedings.

MRS YARDLEY: Yes. It was a mutual decision. You can love someone very much and not be able to live with them.

CHO: What was the problem?

MRS YARDLEY: Oh, Brooke was a dog. Pathological womanizer. Knew it when I married him. I'm his third wife. Duh. But he was so charming and witty and handsome.

CHO: He cheated on you.

MRS YARDLEY: Cheating would involve deception. He never tried to deceive me.

RIGSBY: Some would call that good motive for k*lling him.

MRS YARDLEY: Well, I didn't. But I know who did k*ll him, if you want to know. I told the police two years ago, but they weren't interested. "No body, no crime, " they said.

RIGSBY: So you know who k*lled him.

MRS YARDLEY: A man called Arek Green. He owns nightclubs across the border. Brooke went to a meeting with Arek in Mexicali, and that was the last anyone ever saw Brooke.

RIGSBY: And why would Mr. Green have reason to k*ll your husband?

MRS YARDLEY: Arek owed Brooke something around $100,000 on a property deal and didn't want to pay. Brooke was going to sue him. That's motive, isn't it?

[Door opens and a man enters]

MRS YARDLEY: This is my stepson Gavin. He lives here also. These are police of some kind. They found your father's body.

GAVIN: Oh. Really. Where? (Drink pouring, lid clatters)

Buried in the desert.

GAVIN: How squalid. m*rder, was it?

That's our supposition, yes.

GAVIN: Well, I'd take a good, long look at this one. She's perfectly capable of m*rder. Too lazy, perhaps, but she could have summoned a burst of energy. She did so despise my poor, dear father.

MRS YARDLEY: You are a bitter, twisted little fantasist. We had our battles, but I loved that man.

GAVIN: Oh! Dishonest crap. These are professional policemen, Madison. They can see right through you.

RIGSBY: Okay. Returning to Arek Green, when was this meeting in Mexicali, exactly?

MRS YARDLEY: July 10, two years ago. I apologize for my stepson. When Brooke is officially dead, his will is enforceable, and Gavin will have to leave my house. (Whispers) Finally. (Normal voice) Hence the anger.

GAVIN: Oh, don't think for a second I won't dispute every inch of that will.

MRS YARDLEY: Oh, I know you will. You're such a child. (Laughs) God, I can't believe I ever let you have sex with me.

GAVIN: (laughing) Please. You were practically begging me.

MRS YARDLEY: (Laughs) I am so sorry. I blame his mother. Now she was a piece of work.

GAVIN: Don't you say a word about my mother, you conniving little slut.

RIGSBY: Hey, folks—

MRS YARDLEY: I will talk about who the hell I like. Your mother was a cold-hearted bitch!

GAVIN: (Starts to reply, RIGSBY speaks over him, breaking up the fight)

RIGSBY: Okay. Whoa, whoa, whoa! Let's just take a breath.

[Back at Borrego Gap Diner]

(Sizzling)

JANE: Low heat, then a little water keeps the eggs nice and loose.

CHEF MAC: I've been cooking eggs for 20 years.

JANE: Oh, so your cup's full. Can't learn any more, huh?

CHEF MAC: Not about eggs.

JANE: Okay. Bon appétit.

[JANE serves the eggs, the CHEF MAC tries them]

CHEF MAC: Damn.

JANE: Mm-hmm.

SONYA and HECTOR: (both laugh)

LISBON: Jane.

[LISBON beckons JANE over to her table]

LISBON: So both Yardley's son and wife are still possible suspects. But the wife says the last time she saw Yardley, he was heading down to Mexicali to demand money out of some shady businessman— guy named Arek Green. He's got a criminal record, underworld connections, and right now, we're about a hundred miles from Mexicali.

JANE: Sounds like a lead.

LISBON: Yeah, I'm thinkin' we should go and talk to this guy, Arek Green.

JANE: Yeah, I-I'm gonna stay here. You go. You can manage on your own, right?

LISBON: Of course I can, but—

JANE:Well, I-I like the quiet here. The desert helps me think.

LISBON: You know what? I'll stay. Cho and Rigsby can go to Mexicali.

JANE: Don't trust me alone, huh?

LISBON: I never have. I'm gonna go and run some calls.

JANE: Sure.

[LISBON is working in her motel room.] (Cell phone vibrates)

VAN PELT (VO): Boss, the wires are up.

LISBON: All of them?

VAN PELT: Yep. G.P.S. and audio, on all seven Red John suspects.

LISBON: Good work. Okay, we watch them like hawks. We log everywhere they go, 24/7.

VAN PELT: Will do.

LISBON: And remember, do not—

VAN PELT: I-I know. (Sighs) Tell nobody.

[CHO and RIGSBY drive across the Mexican border to interview Arek Green in his nightclub]

GREEN: That's a shame. Yardley was good people.

CHO: Mr. Green, we're told you and Yardley were in a business dispute.

GREEN: Yeah, I mean, you know... Yard loved drama. But we're old friends— ten years now— and it was nothing.

RIGSBY: It seems like you were the last person to see him alive.

CHO: And you owed him $100,000.

GREEN: Which I gave to him. In cash. Last time I saw him, he was a happy man. Very happy.

CHO: You get a receipt?

GREEN: You know, it wasn't that kind of transaction.

RIGSBY: Uh-huh. Go on.

GREEN: Look, I pay my debts. I heard he vanished, I thought he went somewhere like Brazil or something so he didn't have to share the money with the old lady. Now you're telling me he's dead. I gotta assume the loopy bitch did it. Or that wacko son. Have you met those two? Oh, you did? So you know!

[Borrego Diner. Rooster crows]

JANE: So you think it's either the greedy wife, the angry son, or the shady business partner?

LISBON: Mm-hmm. Looks that way.

JANE: I think we should get them out here, take a look at them.

LISBON: How are we gonna do that, arrest them all?

JANE: Well, tell them we're gonna find out where the $100,000 cash is. They'll come.

LISBON: Well, what if there was no 100 grand in cash?

JANE: Well, if there wasn't, the wife and the son don't know it, and the shady business partner has to pretend there was, right?

LISBON: I guess.

JANE: Yeah.

[Wordless scenes: VAN PELT is driving MRS YARDLEY and GAVIN; CHO and RIGSBY bring GREEN, they arrive at the Borrego Diner]

LISBON: They're here. Now what?

JANE: I think a simple seance should do the trick.

LISBON: Seriously?

JANE: Seriously. Welcome. Madison. Gavin. My name is Patrick Jane. This is Agent Lisbon. Thanks for coming all the way out here to help us. Hey, Van Pelt.

VAN PELT: Hey, Jane.

MRS YARDLEY: So where's the money you promised?

JANE: Have a seat. Um, try the eggs. All will be revealed in very good time. I just need to have a quick word with my colleagues.

[They move to the kitchen]

JANE (to CHEF MAC): Could you give us a minute, please?

LISBON: What?

JANE: She knows about the list.

LISBON: Yes, but only Grace. Nobody else. Now we can keep an eye on the suspects.

JANE: You bugged their phones.

LISBON: Yes.

JANE: Red John will know what you've done, and he will use it against us. He will lead you wherever he wants to.

LISBON: I am not naive. We'll act with that possibility in mind. But it's better to have the information available to us. It's better than doing nothing at all.

JANE: No, no, no. I-I told you— tell no one! I told you!

LISBON: You told me? You are not my boss. This is my case. Red John is my case. You work for me.

JANE: Oh, come on, please, Lisbon, don't be childish.

LISBON: Don't be arrogant!

JANE: You are out of your depth. You can't—

LISBON: You can't tell me what to do, because I don't think you know what you're doing yourself. I have to do what I have to do to do my job. Now I'm going back to Sacramento to keep an eye on the suspects. You can do whatever you want. Grace, you're in charge until Cho gets here. After that, he's in charge.

VAN PELT:Okay, boss.

JANE: Wait!

[Outside](Engine starts)

JANE: Hey. Hey. Lisbon. [LISBON drives away] Lisbon!

ACT 4

[CHO and RIGSBY arrive, with GREEN]

RIGSBY: (Sighs) Mr. Jane, Agent Van Pelt, this is Arek Green.

JANE: Good. Nice to meet you, Mr. Green. Why don't you go inside the diner, take a seat? I just need to talk to my colleagues. [to VAN PELT] You told them about the list.

VAN PELT: No. (Exhales) I told Rigsby. Look, AT I had to. He thought I was having an affair.

RIGSBY: She was acting weird.

JANE: You told Cho.

RIGSBY: Well, he can't be the only member of the team that doesn't know. Come on, that's not fair.

CHO: I'm not gonna tell anybody.

VAN PELT: Lisbon was only doing what she thought was best. You have to make up with her.

JANE: Thanks. (Sighs)

[They re-enter diner]

VAN PELT: So what's the plan?

JANE: Well, if anyone tries to k*ll me, sh**t them. (Sighs) Okay, hello, everybody. My name is Patrick Jane. I'm with the CBI. We're here to solve a m*rder. Uh, Sonya, will you help me? I need your psychic gifts.

SONYA: Me? Oh, no, no. I don't think so.

JANE: Yeah, please. Come take a good look at these three people. They all had reasons to k*ll Brooke Yardley.

GAVIN: Are you kidding me? What reason did I have?

JANE: If you're innocent, hush, please. Uh, you knew that Yardley was out there, didn't you? You heard him. He spoke to you.

SONYA: I... guess, in a way.

JANE: Yardley can tell us which one of these three is the guilty one, just like he told you that he was out there.

SONYA: He can?

MRS YARDLEY: Uh, this is very amusing, but I'm...

CHO: Quiet.

JANE: Thank you, Cho. He spoke to your subconscious, and we need to speak to him in that way. This will do. Uh... would you just put your hand just like that? Just... relax. Just like that. Okay. Now close your eyes. Think about Brooke Yardley. Ask him to tell us what he wants to tell us. Think deeply. Okay, and when you're ready... Let your hand fall. "L." Uh, Van Pelt, would you write these down, please? Keep thinking about Yardley. What does he want to say? And when you feel it... Do it again. (Breathes sharply) "U." And again. "K"... "E"... "12"... "27."

VAN PELT: Luke 12:27?

JANE: Is there anyone connected to the case named Luke?

GREEN: Maybe it's the, uh, Bible verse?

JANE: Luke 12:27. Wh what does that say?

RIGSBY: "Consider the lilies, how they grow. They toil not...”

CHO: “Neither do they spin."

JANE: What does that have to do with anything?

RIGSBY: I don't know.

Wait a minute. "How they grow." Yardley had lilies on his grave. Well, flowers, anyway. Uh, not—not the normal kind of flowers you'd see in the desert. And grass, for that matter. That's what he's trying to tell us. How did those flowers end up there? And—and how did they get water? Well, there's only one logical explanation. The body was in a block of ice. A block of ice that was carried in a flat-bed truck that normally carries garden supplies, like flower and grass seeds. Seeds that stuck to a block of ice.

GREEN: Clever.

MRS YARDLEY: Yes, but...

JANE: But ice melts very fast in the desert, so that block couldn't have been moved very far from where it started. What we're looking for is someplace close to the crime scene where they have a large commercial freezer.

GAVIN: Like in a diner.

JANE: Yes. But why would anyone at the diner want to k*ll Brooke Yardley?

SONYA: Yeah, I... (Chuckles) Hello.

JANE: Well, unless, of course, he was... Flashing all that money he had. And he was that kind of guy. You know, a showoff and a ladies' man, right?

MRS YARDLEY: Yes.

JANE: I bet he hit on you, Sonya. Yeah? Well, you said no, of course. Then he offered you money. And you're a good woman, but everyone has their price. Your boyfriend Hector is the jealous type. But Brooke was a big man, so probably he got Mac to help out. Then the three of you argued over what to do next. Do you let Yardley go, or do you k*ll him and take the money? Your biggest mistake— you let him hear you.

[Flashback]

SONYA: What are you doing?

CHEF MAC: We have to k*ll him.

JANE (VO): He knew he was gonna die, so he made sure his body was identifiable by swallowing his ring.

HECTOR: Mac's right. We gotta k*ll him!

SONYA: No! Mac! No! (Thud)

[Present day, in diner]

HECTOR: (Scoffs) This is garbage. A fantasy. You have no evidence.

JANE: This from a man wearing a hat that says "landscaping and gardening supplies."

HECTOR: There's plenty of other guys that work at garden supply stores. And plenty of other diners that got freezers.

JANE: Yes, but this is the only one with a fancy new sign on the highway. How much did that cost you?

SONYA: I-it was them! They k*lled him and - to try to keep me quiet - I had nothing to do with it. (Sonya gasping)

JANE: Book 'em, guys.

ACT 5

[JANE is driving back alone. He calls LISBON]

(Phone line ringing)

[Night. In LISBON’s office her cell phone vibrates]

LISBON: (sighs) Not now, Jane. (Beeps)

[JANE in car listens to LISBON’s voice mail message]

LISBON (VO): This is Teresa Lisbon. I can't take your call right now. Please leave a message after the beep. (Beep)

JANE: Uh, hi, Lisbon. Um... call me. Uh... I'm sorry we argued. I just, uh... I realized, um... Yeah, just—just call me. We'll chat.

[LISBON’s office]

(Desk phone rings)

LISBON: Lisbon.

WOMAN (VO): We have an anonymous tip directed to your unit. A person or persons in distress at 5570 West Huron.

LISBON: At 5570 West Huron. Okay, I got it. Huh. That’s weird. Brett Partridge is there. (Dials number on desk phone) This is Agent Lisbon with the CBI. I need SAC P.D. to roll code to 5570 West Huron. Immediate assistance, 5570 West Huron.

[LISBON is on her phone outside a dark ramshackle house]

LISBON: Yeah, no, I understand. When do you think they're gonna be here? All right. [Ends call] Thanks for nothing.

(Sighs) (door slams inside house) LISBON: Damn it. (Door creaks)

[LISBON searches apparently long-abandoned house]

(Cell phone vibrating)

[JANE is calling LISBON again from the car]

LISBON (VO): This is Teresa Lisbon. I can't take your call right now. Please leave a message after the beep. (Beep)

JANE: Where are you? Call me.

[LISBON continues search]

(Indistinct noise) (Door creaks) (Wings flap, pigeons coo) (Chirping continues)

[LISBON approaches another shut door but hears...]

(Groaning)

[LISBON turns from the door towards the sound]

(Groaning and panting)

LISBON: Oh! Oh, my God. Partridge? Partridge?

PARTRIDGE [Bleeding, barely conscious]: T... (Gasping) T... tiger. T... tiger. [PARTRIDGE stills]

[LISBON stands, sees the door is now open and is then grabbed from behind]

[JANE arrives in CBI office]

JANE: Uh, excuse me, have you seen Lisbon?

COP: Nope. Haven't seen her.

JANE: Ah, great. (Cell phone rings) Lisbon, finally.

RED JOHN (VO): Sorry, Patrick. Teresa can't come to the phone right now. Can I take a message? [We see a Kn*fe, a gloved hand wipes the blood from it] No? Well, I'll tell her you called.

JANE: Wait— (Click, dial tone) (Dial tone continues)

[A gloved hand paints in blood on LISBON’s still, pale face]

END