04x02 - After the Fall

Complete collection of episode scripts from season 1-5. Aired October 2006 - February 2011.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

The trials and tribulations of small town Texas football players, their friends, family, and coaching staff.

04x02 - After the Fall

Post by bunniefuu »

Sammy: Folks, let me tell you, the sky is dry, the fields are brown. This town has been divided.

We need to acknowledge the huge part you played in this redistricting.

We just brought this kid in this morning.

Next stop is juvie for him, and that's a bad path.

If I need you to be here tomorrow morning at 6:00 A.M?

I'll be here.

So, what's it like being the guy who used to be Tim Riggins?

Tim: I'm still Tim Riggins.

Yeah, but you know what I mean, though.

You're all the center of the universe in Texas one year and the next, boom, you fall off a cliff.

Announcer: This is as bad as anything I have ever seen on a football field.

The game is over. Dillon has forfeited.

( Crowd booing )

[EXT. ]

( A solitary truck parked in the open and we cut to see Tim Riggins asleep in the bed. A sheriff approaches, surveying the situation to find Tim asleep. )

Sheriff: Hey, wake up! (bangs on truck) Come on, get up. You can't be here. This is private property.

( Tim rouses awake. )

Sheriff: Hey, aren't you... aren't you Tim Riggins?

Tim: Yes sir.

Sheriff: Hey now, you are going to have to get yourself together and get out of here. You can't be here.

Tim: Okay.

[INT. Taylor House - Eric and Tami's Bedroom]

( Coach asleep alone in bed. )

Gracie (from another room): ...in here!

( This wakes him up with a start. )

Gracie: No, more! No, in here!

Matt: She's gotta eat or she'll be mad.

Julie: Look she's got a little belly.

Matt: She doesn't know how...

Julie: It's okay.

( Coach gets up and heads to the kitchen and we see Matt, Julie and Gracie at the counter. )

Matt: Hey, coach.

Eric: Hey. Morning, Gracie Belle. Morning.

( Pours himself a cup of coffee. )

Julie: We made coffee.

Eric: Did you bring the paper in yet?

( Matt and Julie look nervous. )

Matt: (standing up) I'll go get it.

Eric: I'll get it...

Matt: No, no, no... I'll

Eric: (grumpily) No, I'll get the paper...

Matt: No, I...

Eric: I'll get my own paper.

( Matt surrenders, knowing there's no point fighting this. )

Eric: Thank you for the coffee.

Julie: You're welcome.

( Eric heads down the hall to the front door. )

[EXT. Taylor House]

( Tami is grunting as she pulls up handmade white flags that are staked into the front yard. The signs read "Quitter." )

Eric: Morning.

( Tami turns to look at him. )

Tami: Hey, Hon. (reading Eric's face) Babe, just go on. Come on, let me just do this.

[INT. West Dillon Panthers Coaches Room]

( The Panthers are watching the game tape from the previous game on a projector shouting victoriously. )

Team: Hoo! Hoo! Hoo!

( Lots of congratulating to J.D. and Luke. )

Wade: That's a helluva combo.

Joe: Yeah... Boy, I can smell State.

( Team begins chanting "State! State! State!" )

[INT. East Dillon Locker Room]

( Polar opposite. Stan and Coach are watching their horrible game on an old TV set. )

Eric: (noting empty room) They damn well know they're supposed to be here, don't they?

Stan: I know.

Assistant Coach: Hey, I've looked everywhere. I went to training room, I went to the bus stop, nobody's here, Coach. No where in the building.

( Coach is angry. )

[EXT. East Dillon Football Fieldhouse]

( Coach walks to his truck and gets in, bitter, when Buddy drives up. )

Buddy: Hey friend! Come on, come go with me.

Eric: Buddy, I'm not in the mood. I don't have time right now.

Buddy: I got to show you something, Eric. Please. Come here. Please.

( This gets Coach's attention. )

[EXT. Empty lot of land]

Buddy: Do you know what you're looking at, Eric?

( Address on solo mailbox reads: 2268 Oakdale Rd. )

Eric: No, why don't you fill me in?

Buddy: This is the address for Luke Cafferty. Star Running Back. Dillon Panthers. Future Super Star. Luke. This is the address they have for him.

Eric: Where does he really live?

Buddy: East Dillon. He's supposed to be yours.

( OPENING CREDITS )

[INT. Taylor House - kitchen]

( Coach is holding his coffee and pacing, watching as Tami prepares Gracie's food. )

Tami: (looking at Gracie) There she is. (returning to conversation with Eric) I don't know what they were thinking. That were not gonna notice that it's an empty field out there? Do they think we're stupid?

Eric: We wouldn't have known unless Buddy had told us. (shouts down hall) Come on, Julie! And that's another thing, don't say anything about that because he's afraid that half the town's gonna boycott his dealership.

Tami: Well, I don't blame him. I'm a little worried myself.

Eric: Julie, let's go!!

Tami: Considering that in a Mrs. Coach kind of way

Eric: Are you kidding? You don't have to worry about anything, you didn't do anything wrong. Julie, let's go!!

Tami: I know I didn't do anything wrong but these people are all about doing the wrong thing. They don't seem to care. I feel just terrible for poor Luke Cafferty. I mean, that poor boy. I'm gonna have to tell him about this.

Eric: I feel sorry for him. He has to come over to my school and be on my team.

Tami: Honey...

Eric: That's awful.

Tami: Honey, come on now...

Julie: I'm ready!

Julie: Ready to go, dad?

Eric: Yes. I'm very ready to go.

Tami: Are you ready for your big first day?

Julie: Yeah, should be fun. New teachers, new friends, new school...

Eric: (to Tami) Bye.

Tami: (kisses him) Goodbye.

Tami: (to Julie) Come here.

Eric: (mumbling on his way to the door) Come on let's go. Go to school half naked...

Tami: Be careful.

Julie: It's a high school, mom. Not a prison yard.

Tami: Bye. I love you.

Julie: I love you, too.

Tami: Bye honey!

[EXT. East Dillon High School]

( Lots of high school stuff going on. People hanging out by their cars, messing around on the grass, basketball game, people getting off the yellow buses, Rap music playing... )

[INT. East Dillon High School - Hallway]

( sh*t of Julie walking down the hall looking totally out of her element. Cut to Vince strutting up the stairs looking like he belongs there. )

Vince: (to fellow student as he passes) What up?

( He gets upstairs and spots banner that reads: Lions Pride Losers )

( He's upset but keeps walking. He gets to his locker and there's a little white flag sticking out. He yanks it off and looks around, angry. )

Student: What's up, man? Hey, man, what happened?

Vince: You know who did this?

Student: Do what?

Vince: Put this flag in my locker.

Student: I ain't seen nothing. You know I'd tell you if I seen something.

Vince: Alright.

Student: Come on, you know me better than that.

Vince: Yeah, all right.

[INT. Dillon Tech Art Class]

( Matt is sitting at his desk, concentrating on drawing a model draped with a white sheet (hey, this is TV right?) )

Art Teacher: (to another student) ...what you're saying there.

( She wanders the room before quietly approaching Matt. )

Art Teacher: I, um, took the liberty of putting you up in an internship. He's a local artist out here. His name is Richard Sherman and he's selected you.

Matt: He did?

Art Teacher: Mm...hmm. It's quite an honor. The guy's a genius.

Matt: Okay...

Art Teacher: Can you go this afternoon?

Matt: Yeah, yeah, of course. (pause) Why did you put me up for an internship?

Art Teacher: Because you have what every important artist needs.

Matt: What's that?

Art Teacher: Pluck.

Matt: Yeah... oh-kay... Thanks.

Art Teacher: Sure.

[EXT. East Dillon High School - Parking Lot]

( Landry drives up in his old car and starts to pull into a parking space but there are a group of students lingering there. )

Landry: Excuse me! (leans head out the window) Excuse me, I, um... Excuse me, I just need to uh, just squeeze by here...

Student: (slams the hood of his car) Get out of here!

Landry: It's uh, an open--

( The group of students aren't moving so he starts to back up when we hear a scream as he hits something . )

...AAH!

( Landry leaps out of his car and we see a girl trying to get her bike out from under his rear wheel. )

Landry: Oh, my God! Are you okay? Hey!

Jess: Okay, what the Hell, huh?! Look what you did to my bike, you freaking idiot!

Landry: I mean honestly... you're not even wearing a helmet though...

Jess: Okay, come on, are you serious?

Landry: What if...?

Jess: Okay, you know what, junior? I need to expalin something to you.

Landry: Okay, I'm listening.

Jess: It took me a lot of months to save up for that bike. Okay? So it means a lot to me. Because not everybody gets a car bought from their daddy. So you're gonna pay me damages.

Landry: Damages? That's uh...

Jess: For my bike.

Landry: Yeah.

Jess: Okay?

Jess: What's your name?

Landry: Landry Clark.

Jess: Landry Clark?

Landry: What's your name?

Jess: Jess Merriweather.

Landry: Pleasure to meet you.

Jess: Nice to meet you. M-E-R-R-I-W-E-A-T-H-E-R. Don't forget that when you make out the check.

[EXT: Richard Sherman's House]

( Matt drives up and exits the car. He's wearing a suit and judging by the fact that there's scrap metal everywhere, it's the last thing he should be wearing. He knocks on the garage door where inside we hear drilling. Richard Sherman appears wearing nothing but stubble and gray underwear, a cigarette dangling from his lips. )

Richard: What the Hell's so important out here?

Matt: Nothing, I'm sorry. I was just... I think I have the wrong address I was trying to find this, uh, artist that I thought...

Richard: Who?

Matt: Uh, Richard Sherman, but it's okay. I'm gonna take off, I'm sorry that I bothered you...

Richard: I'm Richard Sherman, dumb ass.

Matt: I'm... I'm Matt Saracen. I'm your new intern.

Richard: (waving him in) Yeah, I gotta bunch a crap in here and I'm gonna need you to start moving it. Come on in.

Matt: Sorry.

Richard: There's shards on the floor and I don't want any crap about it.

( Matt enters, uncertain what he got himself into. )

Richard: You got shoes on?

Matt: Yeah, I wear shoes.

Richard: Then close the door.

[INT. East Dillon Cafeteria]

( Landry is sitting at the table. )

Player: There's coach.

( Landry looks over and excuses himself. )

Landry: Alright, I'm gonna go ahead and take off. See you all later.

Player: Alright.

( He starts to walk away when Eric puts his hand on his shoulder to stop him. )

Eric: Can I talk to you for a minute? Listen, I don't know what's going on with my football players but I need your help, okay.

Landry: Why'd you forfeit the game, coach?

Eric: I'm sorry?

Landry: I said, why'd you forfeit the game?

Eric: I heard your question.

Landry: Well, you have an answer to that cuz I don't understand.

Eric: Listen to me. I don't have to explain my decisions to you, Landry.

Landry: Okay, well I can explain to you that everyone gave absolutely everything they had out there and then you just quit on us? I don't know if you really know what that feels like but it's not a very good feeling.

Eric: Do you understand what I'm saying?

Landry: I'm done and everyone else is done.

Eric: Hey! Hey! Hey, Landry!

[EXT. West Dillon Football Field]

( Practice is in session in the rain and the coaches are yelling out: ) Let's go! Give me some piece! Gimme something to work with! There you go! Tight racing!

( Tami appears on the sidelines holding her umbrella and calls Luke over. )

Tami: Hey, Luke! Come here, son.

Luke: Hey, Principal Taylor.

Tami: How you doing?

Luke: (referring to his play) Did you see that?

Tami: I... yeah, that was amazing.

Luke: Wasn't that great? Thank you.

Tami: Amazing.

Luke: Thank you.

Tami: I need to talk to you for a sec.

Luke: Yes maam.

Tami: I need you tell me where you live.

Luke: 2268 Oakdale Rd.

Tami: Is that really where you live?

Luke: Yes maam. 2268 Oakdale Rd.

Tami: You know that's an empty field with a mailbox in front of it, right? You live on Kilroy don't you? And you know that Kilroy is zoned for East Dillon High isn't that right?

( He nods, looking so sad and heartbroken. )

Luke: Um, I mean, I've worked so hard for the Panthers and this team means everything to me. I mean, there's no team over at East Dillon...

Tami: Well, there is a team there actually. They're starting a team.

Luke: Well, I mean, is there anything that we can do? Can you write a letter to the Governor or something?

Tami: Tell you what the only thing, the only thing you can do is your parents could move. That's the only thing.

Luke: That's not gonna happen.

Tami: I'm sorry son. You're gonna have to go over there, you're gonna have to pack up your stuff. Starting tomorrow you're going to school at East Dillon High.

Luke: What? That's it?

Tami: That's it.

( Luke starts crying, all his hard work and dreams slipping through his fingers. )

Luke: I mean, I will... I will get an 'A' in every single class.

Tami: I know, you're a good student.

Luke: Every one. I promise you that. I will... I will do anything, I swear to you, I will do anything... (sobbing) I'm begging you.

Tami: (sympathetic) I'm sorry, son. I hate that it has to be this way, too.

Luke: (wiping away tears) No, I'm okay, I'm okay... Thank you.

Tami: You gonna be alright?

Luke: Yeah, I'm fine, I'm fine. Thank you very much.

Tami: Go on now.

( Tami turns to walk away as Luke heads back to his team when he pauses and calls her back. )

Luke: Principal Taylor! Hey! I'm real sorry for lying to you. For the whole time and for lying to you right now to your face. I'm real sorry, okay?

Tami: I appreciate that, Luke. I do appreciate that.

Luke: Okay.

Tami: It'll be alright, son.

Luke: No, I'm fine. I'm fine. I'm fine. Thank you.

( They break away. )

Wade: Luke!

Luke: Yeah, I'll be right there, Coach!

[INT. RIGGINS RIGS Garage]

( Tim is working under a truck. )

Billy: Why hasn't the part for Mrs. Carlson's Taurus come in yet?

Tim: I don't know, Billy.

Billy: The part was ordered ten days ago, Tim. Did you order it from Tahiti? Finish this transmission man. Finish it today. You were working on it all day yesterday.

Tim: Hey, uh, just throwing it out there. It's been well over two weeks. Do you think I'll get paid or...?

Billy: I'm waiting on some money to come in, alright.

Tim: When?

Billy: Seriously, could you back off for two-seconds? Do you have any clue what I've got on my plate right now, Tim? Seriously man. I'm trying to run a garage, I gotta a pregnant wife, and I haven't slept for two weeks because... because Mindy's reading some stupid book about what's supposed to happen every two seconds of your pregnant life and now every time she farts she thinks she's thinking that her water's breaking. Or, or, that's she's going into contractions. So back off!

( Phone starts ringing and Billy answers it. )

Billy: Riggins Rigs.

Tim: Hey, hey Billy! Could you pass me that violin please?

Billy: (moving the phone away from his mouth) Will you shut up!

Tim: You're hogging it.

Billy: Shut up! (back on phone) No, that wasn't directed towards you, maam. Where are you? We'll send a truck out as soon as we can.

Tim: When you're done with it, I need the violin.

Billy: Get your ass up, okay. Get your ass up. We got a tow.

[EXT. West Dillon High School - parking lot]

( Wade and Joe drive up to Tami's car in a golf cart. )

Joe: Principal Taylor.

Tami: Hey y'all.

Joe: What's it gonna take?

Tami: I'm not sure what conversation we're having here. What are you talking about?

Wade: Oh, I think you know.

Tami: Are we talking about Luke?

Joe: Yeah! We're talking about Luke.

( Laughs. )

Joe: Yeah.

Tami: Uh-huh.

Joe: So what's it gonna take? Like, new books for the library, new instruments for the orchestra, what?

Tami: Are you all coming to me in the school parking lot and offering me a bribe?

Wade: No but you need to be reasonable.

Tami: Is that's what happening?

Wade: You need to be reasonable about this, Tami. It's not gonna do anything but hurt this kid. You know, we can't let that happen to him and we can't let it happen to our team and we can't let it happen to the school.

Joe: And we can't let it happen to you, Tami. I mean, what's gonna happen to you if this goes down? I think you're gonna get lynched.

Tami: That is so sweet. You are so sweet to think about me. I appreciate that so much. But I can take care of myself, thank you.

Wade: Okay, but think of this: that first win will have to be forfeited because of this. And if that happens we might not make it back from that. That means we might not make it to state this year. Now do you want that?

Tami: No. That boy was enrolled here in illegally.

Joe: Yes and ironically he just happens to be going to a school where your husband is the football coach. Would you do me a favor? Would you go home and ask your husband one thing: ask him who put up that mailbox. Because the Dillon Panthers have been using that mailbox long before I got here. And if I want to do a little digging around. You know, I think things could come up. I think games could be forfeited. I think rings could be lost.

( Tami mulls this over. )

[EXT. Tim driving up in a Riggins Rig to pick up his tow to find it's the daughter from his one night stand]

Tim: You gotta be kidding me.

Girl: Hey, Tim Riggins who used to be a Panther. Good morning.

Tim: Tell me you need a tow.

Girl: Ha, yeah, no, but I do need a ride to school. Which would be awesome because my mom's not here - I don't know what she's doing, she's MIA for some reason - and I had to find my dog this morning cuz little Squirt got out again and I missed the bus and my hair was doing this weird flip thing that I wasn't really too sure about and it was just a really rough morning altogether so... Let's get this show on the road! Come on! Let's get going. I'm gonna be late.

( He starts driving. )

Tim: Don't ever do this again.

[INT. Matt's Car]

( Matt and Julie are riding in Matt's car as he makes his deliveries. )

Matt: I mean all I did all day was carry big, rusty, dirty pieces of metal around a junk yard. It sucked.

Julie: (laughing) I still can't believe you were naked.

Matt: No, I wasn't naked. He was naked.

( Julie laughs. )

Matt: Whatever. He never even asked me about my art. I mean, why does he think I'm there? Does he think I like doing manual labor?

Julie: Well, maybe he thinks, you know, you're not a great artist cuz you go to community college.

( Matt clenches his jaw and nods. )

Julie: I mean, no offense. I didn't mean it to sound...

Matt: It's fine.

Julie: I'm just saying you need to get him excited. You need to show him who you are and your art and just take the bull by the horns.

Matt: Well, you know I have been told I have pluck.

Julie: Really?

Matt: Yeah, I don't know what that means.

[EXT. Apartment Complex - kinda sketchy]

( Eric drives up and walks up a flight of stairs. Sirens in the background and a woman yells something I can't decipher. Eric knocks on one of the doors. A haggard looking woman answers it. )

Eric: Um, maam. I'm Coach Taylor from over at the high school. Are you Vince's mother by chance?

Mother: Yeah? Why?

( In the background we see Vince walking up to see the exchange but Coach doesn't see him. )

Eric: Yeah, why? Well, I just wanted to... I just wanted to talk with him, that's all. I just came by to talk him. He hasn't been at practice the last few days.

Mother: Well, that's his business. Ain't no laws about missing no practice.

( She starts to shut the door but he pushes it back open. )

Eric: Ma'am, I'm just trying to help your son.

Mother: You got tweenty bucks? Please?

( Eric hands her a twenty. )

Mother: Lincoln and Victory almost every night.
[EXT. Gas Station]

( Eric is sitting in his truck, eating a burrito while his t*nk fills with gas. The man at the car next to him calls out. )

Man: Hey, do you know how to get to Lubbock?

Eric: You gotta take 61 up to 23.

( The man seems to recognize Eric. )

Man: Hey, Dillon East right? You're the coach at Dillon East. You lost your inner pirate. Uh, have you ever heard 'swing your sword'? You're supposed to swing your sword like this (motions with is hands high up). You're swinging yours like this. (motions with his hands limply) I mean, uh, you gotta find your inner pirate. (Eric is looking at this man like he's nuts) A lot of times, things just happen for a reason. We don't know why God wants it that way? But you can't make the best out of it until you get back your inner pirate. You might be the luckiest man alive and not even know it.

( The guy drives away leaving Eric dumbstruck. )

[INT. Taylor Kitchen]

( Tami is at the counter cutting up cucumber when Eric comes home. )

Eric: Hey, babe.

Tami: Hey.

Eric: Smells good.

Tami: Babe? Babe?

Eric: Yup? What?

Tami: Did you know that that mailbox was out there by that empty field? Did you know that?

( Eric pauses way too long. )

Eric: What are you talking about?

Tami: I'm talking about Joe McCoy told me today that that mailbox has been out there since you were head coach of the Panthers. Did you know?

Eric: Listen, I don't follow what the boosters and parents in town do. That's not my job. You know there's a lot of different ways that... that people try and get kids on the team.

Tami: Um... hum.

Eric: What does that mean?

Tami: That means you sure were paying a lot of attention the last couple of days when you were trying to get Luke Cafferty on your team. And you know now I'm in a bad position because Joe McCoy is about to go out and do all kinds of research and all kinds of digging into things like State Titles...

Eric: Don't talk to me like that.

Tami: Well, honey, I'm talking about your State Title. And not just you but your team.

Eric: Well, you know what, honey? I may not even have a team.

Tami: Of course you have a team.

Eric: No, I might not have a team. I'm surprised your friend Joe didn't inform you that my team hasn't been showing up for practice since the forfeit.

Tami: Well, I didn't know that. I'm sorry to hear that.

Eric: Well, I'm glad you're sorry. I'm sorry, too.

Tami: Why didn't you tell me?

Eric: Hell, I tried to get Landry to get together to try and bring the team out there and you know Landry did? In the middle of teh cafeteris, Landry looks at me and basically says, "Hey, Coach, go to Hell."

Tami: Babe, I'm sorry to heat that but I still don't think you should've lied to me.

Eric: I didn't lie to you.

Tami: Well, I wish you had told me...

Eric: But I didn't lie!

Tami: Well, you should have told me that you knew that...

Eric: Knew what? I don't know who put the mailbox there! You saying I put the mailbox there? Does anyone else say I did? Cuz I didn't! I don't know who put it there.

Tami: Don't raise your voice at me. Don't raise your voice. You're being ridiculous.

Eric: I'm not reaising my voice! I don't want to come into my damn house and be accused first thing before I sit down

Tami: Well then don't lie to me next time!

Eric: I didn't lie to you! I didn't put the mailbox there!

Tami: Where are you going?

Eric: I'm going to get some milk.

[EXT. Park and Victory and Lincoln]

( Eric drives up to a baseketball game, pauses to consider what he's going to do before stepping out. )

Calvin: (seeing Coach) Oh, what the hell, man? Say, V. Vince!

( Eric walks up. )

Calvin: (to Eric) You came to the wrong gym, homie.

Eric: (ignoring Calvin) Vince, let me talk to you.

Calvin: Can't you see we hooping, man?

Eric: Yeah, I can see.

Calvin: Talk to him at school.

Eric: I can see and I understand. He's not in school now is he? (returning attention to Vince) You're making a mistake, man. Hey! Officer Shaw keeps calling. I can't keep him away forever, man. I've been watching those game tapes, man. You're running the forty in under five, a full pass and you got all the moves, man. You gotta a lotta talent, I'm telling you. Don't throw it away.

( Vince looks over once in awhile but doesn't stop playing. )

Eric: You gonna talk to me? Hey, Vince! You gonna throw it away? You gonna throw that away? Last chance. I'm not going to waste my time anymore.

( Eric waits a b*at but Vince just keeps playing B-ball so he walks away. )

Eric: Your choice Big Man.

[INT. Richard Sherman's Garage/Studio]

( Richard is flipping through some of Matt's drawings while Matt stands there, waiting for input. Richard isn't pausing or talking, just going through them. When he's done, he hands them back to Matt. )

Richard: There's some Chevy parts out in the back, I want you to move them here in the front because I gotta start cutting them.

Matt: Yes, Sir.

( Richard returns to his sawing. )

[INT. Ray's BBQ Restaurant]

( It's a small dive. The kind of place the locals know and love but an outsider is not likely to know about. We see Jess working her butt off bussing tables. )

Jess: (to an older man serving BBQ as she passes) Excuse me. Hey, Pops.

Pops: Babe, can you get me the sausage from out back?

Jess: All right. You want the spicy kind?

Pops: Yeah. That'll do.

( She dumps her bin of discard and as she moves back, he hands her a new tray of food to deliver. )

Pops: Here you go.

( We suddenly spot Landry sitting at a nearby table and observing as Jess delivers the food. )

Jess: (serving) Maam. Extra BBQ sauce. For you. Here you go. Enjoy.

( After she's done, she delivers to another table. )

Jess: Here's your pickles, man.

( She opens a refrigerator, looking spent. She grabs a large heavy pot and starts carrying it back, pausing to bus a table. She drops something. )

Landry: (gets up from his table) Here, I got it. I got it.

( Jess looks over but keeps going, taking the pot to Pops. )

Pops: (helping to take the pot from her) Yeah.

Jess: You wanted the spicy kind, right?

Pops: Yeah.

Jess: Okay.

( Landry starts bussing his own table and a few others. )

Jess: (to Pops) I can... You want me to...?

Pops: No, no, no, no... You're good.

Jess: Okay.

( Landry walks up with his trash. )

Landry: Here you go.

Jess: What you doing?

Pops: What's your problem?

Landry: I don't have a problem. I was just... uh, she looked busy and I just thought I'd help her out. We go to school together.

Jess: Oh, uh, this is, uh...

Landry: I'm Landry.

Jess: Yeah Landry.

Landry: Nice to meet you.

Jess: Landry, my dad.

Landry: Oh, he's your...

Pops: Yeah.

Jess: Yeah.

( Pops hands him a garbage bag. )

Pops: Yeah, Landry. Take that out back. Thanks for the help.

Landry: Yeah. (starts going to the back) Nice kitchen.

Pops: (giving Jess a pointed look) Landry?

Jess: (at a loss to explain or comprehend herself - starts walking away) Yeah, I'll get that...

( Pops turns around to see customers. )

Pops: Yeah? What'cha want?

[INT. East Dillon Coach's Office]

Eric: Here's what we're going to do: we're going to call a speical practice for Saturday night.

Assistant Coach: Saturday?

Eric: If it doesn't work out, we're gonna start over.

Stan: What exactly does that mean - 'start over'?

Eric: I don't know, Stan. (he gets up from his chair) I don't know what 'start over' means.

( He leaves the office. )

Eric: Saturday night!

[EXT. East Dillon Football Field]

( Coach surveying the land when Tim passes by and spots him. )

Tim: Coach?

Eric: Huh. Tim, how you doing? I heard... How come you're not back at college?

Tim: I, uh...

Eric: You what?

Tim: I'm working full-time with my brother now. Making some money. You, uh, you look different.

Eric: It's the color.

Tim: Yeah, it's pretty red.

Eric: (adjusts cap) Yeah. Well.

Tim: Well, I mean, I heard about the forfeit. And, uh, it's a shaky start so. I mean, I'd love to be a part of it if I can help in any way.

Eric: You're offering your help to me?

Tim: Yes, sir.

Eric: (smiles) Come with me. Come on.

[INT. Restaurant with Dillon Panthers on the wall]

( Wade and Joe are meeting with the Boosters when Tami enters. )

Joe: Hey, do we have the latest injury report for Rural Rock? Is that middle linebacker of theirs still messed up? Cuz if he is, boy, it's gonna be party time... He's out?

Booster: Left knee...

Joe: Now, Buddy, are we looking to talk to that Quarter...

Tami: Sorry, I hate to interrupt. How are you? Good to see you, Sam. Don't mean to interrupt, I just... (looking at Joe) Can I have a quick word with you, Joe? Talk amongst yourselves. Um, I just wanted to make sure that we didn't have any understanding the other day when we had that conversation in the school parking lot... you know with the golf cart and all of that... And I just wanted to make sure we're clear that my decision has been made and is made and that Luke Cafferty is going to East Dillon High.

( She looks around at the not happy faces. )

Joe: Are you clear about what I told you?

Tami: Yeah, I think I heard you. You mean about doing an investigation and retroactively taking away Panther State titles. That's the thing you're talking about? Because I just want to actually make sure that your also going to check with all these gentlemen here about that because as you said, that's going to mean rings being taken away and things like that and I can betcha there are a lot of rings in this group, you know. Family and what not. So, you do what you have to do. I know you're going to do what you have to do but I just wanted to make sure that I am very clear with you on where on stand on it. So, I'll let you all get back to it. Thank you so much. Than you all so much! You all enjoy!

( As she walks away, all the eyes at the table shift to Joe McCoy. )

[EXT. Richard Sherman's Garage]

( Matt is moving around large pieces of scrap metal as Richard welds when he cuts himself. )

Matt: Hey, hey, I cut my hand and I don't have a tetnus sh*t. So I'm gonna have to go get one.

Richard: (under his welder's mask) That was brilliant.

Matt: Thank you, that was brilliant. (He's frustrated.) Thank you, thanks for everything. I'll see you later.

Richard: What the hell's your problem?

Matt: You... I don't know what your deal is. You're rude, nasty and that's fine, that's your thing, that's okay, you're an artist. And I'll carry all your crap but the reason I'm here and that I'm doing this is cuz I want to be an artist. Alright, so, the least you can do is say something about it.

Richard: You want me to say something?

Matt: I would like you to say something.

( Richard reaches for Matt's portfolio. )

Richard: Alright, I'll say something. (He pulls out the drawings.) Whoa...

Matt: That's very helpful. Yeah, just wrinkle them up.

( Richard pulls out one and starts tearing it in half. )

Matt: Are you...?

( Richard keeps tearing and hands Matt a piece. )

Richard: Alright, this part here doesn't make me wanna puke. Try working from this place.

Matt: Alright

[INT. East Dillon Coach's Office]

( Coach is working when Vince enters, looking defiant, and puts a twenty on Coach's desk. )

Vince: You're not my father. I support my family. She had no business taking that from you. You shouldn't have gave it to her.

Eric: Sit down. Sit down. (Vince sits.) I'm sorry. Don't quit on me. Don't quit on yourself. I'm gonna ask you to do me a favor. This team is broken all to hell. I could use somebody to help me put those pieces back together again. I don't know where I'm going but I'll get another job. This job doesn't work out for you, we both know where you're going. Bring 'em to me. Talk to 'em and bring 'em to me. Talk to 'em for me. Talk to 'em and bring 'em to me tomorrow night. Special practice. Ten o'clock out here - at the field. (Vince stands up and starts walking out.) Hey! It's just us. Just the Lions. Hey, talk to 'em!

[INT. West Dillon Auditorium Pep Rally]

( It's wild and exciting! People are pumped up. )

Students: We are Panthers! We are Panthers! We are Panthers!

( Tami walks up to the podium. )

Tami: Welcome Panthers! We have a big game coming up with West Ambria...

( Boos and jeers from the crowd and we see signs "We Want Luke." A conflicted Buddy Garrity is leaning against a wall. )

Tami: I will wait.

Students: We want Luke! We want Luke! We want Luke!

( Joe McCoy is watching smugly as Tami just stands there. )

[EXT. East Dillon Football Field - Saturday Night]

( The coaches are on the field waiting. Luke Cafferty walks up to the field wearing a West Dillon t-shirt. )

Luke: Hey coach, I'm, uh, I'm Luke Cafferty. I'm here for the special practice Coach Taylor called.

( Luke goes to shake hands with the Asst. Coach and he's very polite. )

Assistant Coach: Luke, nice to see 'ya. Welcome to East Dillon.

Luke: Thank you, thank you.

Eric: Luke, how you doing?

Luke: Hey coach.

Eric: Good to see you.

Stan: Stan Traub.

Luke: How are you?

Stan: Great admirer.

Luke: Nice to meet you, coach.

Stan: Big fan of yours.

Luke: Thanks. (looks around empty field) Uh, where's the team?

Stan: Coach?

( Team walks up lead by Vince. )

Eric: How you doing folks? Vince?

Vince: Coach.

Eric: How you doing, Tankard?

Assistant Coach: Good evening gentlemen. Good to see you.

Eric: Listen, last week we got our asses b*at doing our best. And there is no shame in that, gentlemen. But I'll tell you what, I got shame in me. I have got shame and I apologize to you. I apologize for not giving you the chance to finish your fight. I want to finish that fight with you. And I'm asking you, right here, right now, to allow me to help you finish that fight.

( The team is quiet as Eric starts a fire in an old can. He picks up a plastic bag of old videotape and pulls one out. )

Eric: See this gentlemen? This right here, this is the past. (He throws the tape into the fire and grabs one of their bloodied jerseys from a large pile.) Who wants to finish this fight? Who will finish this fight with me?

( Vince walks up, sharing a look with Eric and burns his jersey. Landry soon follows. )

Landry: I will, sir.

( Landry shares a look of understanding with Eric and takes the jersey from him, tossing it into the fire. t*nk follows. )

Eric: Glad to have you on board, Tankard.

( Luke takes off his W. Dillon t-shirt and burns it. )

Eric: Let's finish it. (The rest of the team joins in.) Let's finish it. Let's finish it! Let's finish it!

Team: Let's do this boys!

Eric: Let's finish it.

[INT. BAR]

( Tim is back at the bar, drinking his woes. )

Bartender: Hey, sailor. Looks like you haven't slept in a week.

Tim: Feels that way.

Bartender: Well...

Tim: Kinda looking for a place if you know any.

Bartender: That shouldn't be so hard.

Tim: It is when you don't have first and last.

Bartender: Well, I do have this trailer in my backyard. I'll charge you a $100 a month. You can stay there until you find a place.

Tim: (considering) That's very sweet but...

Bartender: Don't get me wrong, that was unbelievable but I'm not really that into you and more importantly, I can tell you're not that into me so who really needs to go there. I'm not gonna come banging on your door in the middle of the night, know what I mean? But I can use the cash.

Tim: When?

Bartender: Start right now. Let me get you the keys.

Tim: Like tonight right now?

Bartender: Remember where I live? I'm gonna give my daughter a call. She's not gonna know you from Adam. I don't want you to scare her.

( Tim just stares at her thinking this woman is clueless. She pulls off the key and hands it to him. )

Bartender: Here you go.

Tim: Thank you.

[EXT. Bartender's house]

( Tim drives up as girl is hanging up laundry. )

Girl: Hey.

Tim: Hey.

( Tim enters the trailer and closes the door while girl watches. She enters the house. )

[INT. Taylor Living Room]

( Tami is lounging on the sofa, sipping wine, when Eric wanders in. )

Eric: What are you doing?

Tami: Drinking wine.

Eric: Oh?

Tami: How are you?

( Eric plops himself down next to her. )

Eric: Hmm? How'd everything go today?

Tami: I got booed at the pep rally.

Eric: What do you mean booed?

Tami: I mean booed. Boo. But I did get one little bit of satisfaction. Just being able to stand up to those good old boys so I got that going for me. And wine. How was your day?

Eric: They showed up.

Tami: They did?

Eric: It's a start.

Tami: That's right.

Eric: You know, I'm sorry I lied.

Tami: I know.

( They sit there, taking in the moment. )

Eric: Now I just gotta find us a way to get some new uniforms.