09x11 - Heaven Sent

Episode transcripts for the 2005 TV show "Doctor Who". (Ninth to Twelfth Doctor)*

Moderator: Kitty Midnight

Time and Space traveling adventures of a Gallifreyan Time Lord only known as "the Doctor" and his companions.

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise  Collectibles

Classic Who   Specials  

09x11 - Heaven Sent

Post by bunniefuu »

The Doctor (O.C.): As you come into this world, something else is also born. ( Rumbling ) You begin your life, and it begins a journey... towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow. Never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run. It will walk. You will rest. It will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long. You will sit too still or sleep too deep... and when, too late, you rise to go... you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.

[ Teleport Chamber room ]

( Gasping )

( He coughs and gasps for air )

[ Flashback ]

( Raven caws )

[ End Flashback ]

The Doctor: If you think because she is dead, I am weak, then you understand very little. If you were any part of k*lling her, and you're not afraid, then you understand nothing at all. So, for your own sake, understand this. I am the Doctor. I'm coming to find you, and I will never, ever stop.

Doctor Who
Season 9 Episode 11
Heaven Sent
Original air date: November 28, 2015

[ Tower ]

The Doctor: The equipment in that room is consistent with an augmented ultra long-range teleport. So, I'm not more than a single light year from where I was, and I'm in the same time zone. When the sun sets, I'll be able to establish an exact position by the stars. Then you'll have a choice. Come out, show yourself, or keep on hiding. Clara said I shouldn't take revenge. You should know, I don't always listen.

Oh, what's this? Well, are you gardeners? I hate gardening! What sort of a person has a power complex about flowers? It's dictatorship for inadequates. Or to put it another way, it's dictatorship. Come on! Chop, chop! The Doctor will see you now! Show me what you've got! I just watched my best friend die in agony. My day can't get any worse. Let's see what we can do about yours!

( Static hisses )

( Loud thump )

( Thumping footsteps )

( Footsteps get louder )

( Flies buzz )

( Flies buzz )

( He groans )

The Doctor: I know you. I've seen you before!

I used to know a trick, back when I was young and telepathic. Clearly, you can't make an actual psychic link with a door, for one very obvious reason - they're notoriously cross. I mean, imagine life as a door. People keep pushing past you. All of that knocking, but it's never for you. And you get locked up every night, so if you're just a little bit nice...

( Lock clicks )

The Doctor: See, Clara? Still got it. But I... ( He murmurs ) Um... I can't actually see a way out of this... I've finally run out of corridor. There's a life summed up. Now, this is new. I'm scared. I just realised that I'm actually scared of dying.

( Clang )

( Silence )

The Doctor: Something I said? What did I say? Why did you stop?

( Creaking )

( Loud crashing and rumbling )

[ Bedroom ]

( Springs creak )

The Doctor: Old. Very old.

( Footsteps thump )

The Doctor: Possibly very, very old.

( Fly buzzes )

The Doctor: When I was a very little boy, there was an old lady who d*ed. They covered her in veils, but it was a hot, sunny day, and the flies came. It gave me nightmares for years. So, who's been stealing my nightmares? What am I here for? You've known about me for a very long time, right?

So, what is it? Is it a trap? Is it a prison? No! Is it a t*rture chamber? Am I right? Somebody really should know better. Anyone who can put all of this together and steal my bad dreams, they should know better.

The secrets I have - no chance. No telling, not me. I told you I was scared of dying. And I wasn't lying either. Advantage - me! Because you won't see this coming!

[ INT. TARDIS ]

The Doctor: Sorry, I'm late! Jumped out of a window. Certain death. Don't you want to know how I survived? Go on. Ask me! No, of course I had to jump! The first rule of being interrogated is that you are the only irreplaceable person in the t*rture chamber. The room is yours, so work it. If they're going to thr*aten you with death, show them who's boss. Die faster! You've seen me do that more often than most. Isn't that right, Clara?

Rule one of dying - don't. Rule two - slow down. You've got the rest of your life. The faster you think, the slower it will pass.

Concentrate! Assume you're going to survive. Always assume that. Imagine you've already survived. There's a storm room in your mind. Lock the door and think! This is my storm room. I always imagine that I'm back in my Tardis, showing off, telling you how I escaped, making you laugh. That's what I'm doing right now. I am falling, Clara. I'm dying. And I'm going to explain to you how I survived.

I can't wait to hear what I say. I'm nothing without an audience.

( Booming )

The Doctor: One hope - salt! Thought I smelled it earlier. When I broke the window, I was sure. Salty air. This castle is standing in the sea. Diving into water from a great height is no guarantee of survival. I need to know exactly how far I'm going to fall, and how fast. Why do you think I threw the stool? Fall time to impact...

( Distant splash )

The Doctor (O.C.): .. seven seconds.

The Doctor: Because you won't see this coming! The wind resistance of the stool, the atmospheric density... the strength of the local gravity. Am I spoiling the magic? I work at this stuff, you know? Should hit the water in about... 0.02 seconds. The chances of remaining conscious are...

( Loud splash )

( Chalk taps on chalkboard )

The Doctor: Can't I just sleep?

( Chalk taps )

The Doctor: Do I have to know everything?

( Chalk taps )

The Doctor: Clara, I can't always...

( Chalk taps )

( Echoing screeches )

( He breathes deeply )

( Boots squelch )

( Breathing )

[ Storeroom ]

The Doctor: It keeps coming, Clara. Wherever I go, it follows. Why? Why does it do that?

( Chalk taps )

The Doctor: Always the teacher. What's the right question, then?

( Tapping )

The Doctor: It's following me. Wherever I go, it's tracking me. Slowly though. Scary lurching.

Scary!

These screens everywhere... It's showing me exactly where it is all the time, how far it's got, how near.

Because it's trying to scare me! Putting its breath on my neck. That's the point! That's what it's doing. This is theatre! It's all about fear. Working hypothesis - I'm in a fully automated haunted house. A mechanical maze.

( Clattering )

The Doctor: It's a k*ller puzzle box designed to scare me to death, and I'm trapped inside it. ( chuckles ) Must be Christmas!

( Door thuds and creaks open )

( Dripping )

( Door creaks open )

[ Grounds ]

( Door slams )

( Faint bells chime )

The Doctor: Another spade? Someone wants me to dig. What do you think, Clara? Is someone trying to give me a hint? What would you do?

( Chalk taps )

The Doctor: Yes. Yes, of course you would. Which, let's be honest, is what k*lled you. So, someone is trying to tell me that there's something important buried in this garden. That's almost the first thing they tried to tell me. Could be a trick. Could be one of my predecessors. Because I'm not the first prisoner here, am I?! All those skulls! Wonder where they all went wrong. Building this height, creature that slow, so what...?

An hour.

( He breathes heavily and pants )

( Fly buzzes )

( Flies buzz )

( Creature screeches )

( Flies buzz )

( He pants )

( Thudding, he grunts )

( Rumbling )

( He pants )

The Doctor: Physics of a triangle. You lose!

( Footsteps thump )

The Doctor: So? It can set traps. That's OK. I'm good at traps.

So, where are you off to?

Only one way in and one way out. Well, seeing as you're going...

( The Doctor digs )

The Doctor: No, no. That's not right.

( Crickets chirp )

CLUNK!

( Scrapes ground )

( Flies buzz )

( Flies buzz )

( Screeching, The Doctor yells )

[ INT. TARDIS ]

The Doctor: Well, that was another close one. Or it will have been, once I've been and gone and got myself out of it. So, how am I going to do that? Come on, teacher, ask me questions!

( Chalk taps )

The Doctor: I'm actually scared of dying.

( Chalk taps )

The Doctor: The truth, yes. But not any old truth, Clara. This whole place is designed to terrify me. I'm being interrogated. It's not just truth it wants. That's not enough. It's confession. I have to tell truths I've never told before. That's the only thing that stops it.

You see, the problem is... Clara... there are truths that I can never tell. Not for anything. But I'm scared and I'm alone. Alone... and very, very scared.

I confess.

[ Grounds ]

I didn't leave Gallifrey because I was bored! That was a lie! It's always been a lie!

Not enough? You want more?

I was scared! I ran because I was scared! Is that what you want me to say? Is that true enough for you?

( Creaking )

( Quiet snarling )

( Wind howls )

( Masonry rumbles )

( Loud rumbling )

( Clanking )

[ Bedroom ]

( Clock ticks )

The Doctor: It's funny, the day you lose someone isn't the worst. At least you've got something to do. It's all the days they stay dead.

( Flies buzz )

The Doctor: 57 minutes.

This is how my world works, Clara. I tick off the seconds as they pass. ( Door thuds ) My life is a countdown. If I draw the creature to one extreme of the castle, and I run to the other extreme, I can earn myself a maximum of 82 minutes.

82 minutes to eat, sleep and work. My work is finding Room 12. The castle wants me to. It's luring me.

The numbering is a bit confused, as if the rooms are all jumbled up. Maybe they move around.

I saw the whole castle move... when I made the creature stop.

( He sighs )

The Doctor: Every room, if I leave it long enough, reverts to its condition at the moment I arrive. It tidies up after itself. Automated room service.

I think this whole place is inside a closed energy loop, constantly recycling. Or maybe I'm in Hell? That's OK. I'm not scared of Hell. It's just Heaven for bad people. But how long will I have to be here?

( Food trickles off spoon )

The Doctor: Forever?

( Distorted clattering )

The Doctor: It's always coming.

( Footsteps thud )

The Doctor: Always closer. The countdown never stops. But the countdown to what?

( Door opens )

The Doctor: There are two events in everybody's life that nobody remembers, two moments experienced by every living thing. Yet, no-one remembers anything about them. Nobody remembers being born... and nobody remembers dying. Is that why we always stare into the eye sockets of a skull? Because we're asking, "What was it like? Does it hurt? Are you still scared?"

"Bird"? What's "bird" got to do with it? Are there birds here?

( Clanging )

( Loud grating )

( Pattering )

The Doctor: There's something I'm missing, Clara, and I think it's something terrible.

[ Tower ]

( Door creaks open and shut )

The Doctor: Hello? Hello, is there someone there? Hello!

It's a trap, Clara. A lure and a trap.

I'm following breadcrumbs laid out for me. This is somebody's game... and I can't stop playing, a game everybody else has lost. I know how to move that wall, Clara, so long as I don't run out of confessions. But what I really want to know is... ( Flies buzz ) .. who's been playing about with the stars? They're all in the wrong places, for this time zone, anyway. I know I didn't time travel to get here. I can feel time travel. If I didn't know better, I'd say I've travelled 7,000 years into the future. But I do know better. So, who moved the stars?

( Flies buzz loudly )

The Doctor: The Hybrid. Long before the Time w*r, the Time Lords knew it was coming, like a storm on the wind. There were many prophecies and stories, legends before the fact. One of them was about a creature called the Hybrid. Half Dalek, half Time Lord - the ultimate warrior. But whose side would it be on? Would it bring peace or destruction? Was it real, or a fantasy? I confess, I know the Hybrid is real. I know where it is, and what it is. I confess, I'm afraid.

( Creaking )

( Loud rumbling )

[ Room 12 ]

( He pants )

( Clock ticks loudly )

The Doctor: Of course! The last square on the board. What else would it be? The Tardis. One confession away.

( Sonic sunglasses hum )

The Doctor: Azbantium. 400 times harder than diamond. 20 feet thick. The way out. Bird!

( Loud whooshing )

( Clap echoes loudly )

[ INT. TARDIS ]

The Doctor: That's when I remember! Always then. Always... then. Always exactly then! I can't keep doing this, Clara! I can't! Why is it always me? Why is it never anybody else's turn?!

( Chalk taps )

The Doctor: Can't I just lose? Just this once?! Easy. It would be easy. It would be so easy. Just tell them. Just tell them, whoever wants to know, all about the Hybrid.

( Footsteps thud and flies buzz )

The Doctor: I can't keep doing this. I can't... I can't always do this! It's not fair! Clara, it's just not fair! Why can't I just lose?!

But I can remember, Clara. You don't understand, I can remember it all. Every time. And you'll still be gone. Whatever I do... you still won't be there.

Clara (O.C.): Doctor... you are not the only person who ever lost someone. It's the story of everybody. Get over it. b*at it. Break free.

Clara: Doctor, it's time. Get up, off your arse... and win!

[ Room 12 ]

The Doctor: Hello again. No more confessions, sorry.

( Footsteps thud and flies buzz )

The Doctor: But I will tell you...the truth.

( He screams )

The Doctor: The Hybrid is a very dangerous secret. A very, very dangerous secret and it needs to be kept!

( He shouts )

The Doctor: So, I'm telling you nothing. Nothing at all. Instead, I'm going to do something far worse.

Argh!

I'm going to get out of here, and find whoever put me here in the first place, and whatever they're trying to do, I'm going to...stop it!

Argh!

( Footsteps thud )

The Doctor: But it might take me a little while, so do you want me to tell you a story? The Brothers Grimm, lovely fellas... They're on my darts team.

Argh!

According to them, there's this emperor and he asks this shepherd's boy... "How many seconds in eternity?"

( Hissing, he shrieks )

( Flies buzz )

( Whooshing )

( Powering down )

( Silence )

( Whirring )

( Powering up )

[ INT. TARDIS ]

The Doctor: People always get it wrong with Time Lords. We take forever to die. Even if we're too injured to regenerate, every cell in our bodies keeps trying. Dying properly, can take days. That's why we like to die among our own kind. They know not to bury us early.

( He groans )

The Doctor: I think, in my current condition... it'll take me about a day and a half to reach the top of the tower. I think. If I'm lucky... I have a day and a half.

( He strains )

The Doctor: I have to do this, Clara. It's the only way. I have to be strong.

The Doctor: I should have known from the very beginning.

Of course. The portrait of you, the creature from my own nightmares...

The Doctor: This place is my own, bespoke t*rture chamber...

The Doctor: .. intended for me only, and all those skulls in the water... How could there be other prisoners...in my hell? The answer, of course, is there never were any other prisoners. And the stars... They weren't in the wrong place... and I haven't time travelled.

The Doctor: I've just been here a very, very long time.

Every room resets. Remember I told you that? Every room reverts to its original condition. Logically, the teleporter should do the same. "Teleporter" - fancy word. Just like 3D printers, really, except they break down living matter and information, and transmit it. All you have to do is add energy. The room has reset, returned to its original condition when I arrived. That means there's a copy of me still in the hard drive. Me, exactly as I was... when I first got here... 7,000 years ago.

All I have to find is some energy. And all you need for energy... is something to burn.

( Electrical buzzing, he groans )

( Static crackling )

( He groans )

( Clanking )

The Doctor: How long can I keep doing this, Clara? Burning the old me... to make a new one?

( Hissing )

( He gasps for air )

( Clanking )

The Doctor: If you think because she's dead, I am weak, then you understand very little. If you were any part of k*lling her and you're not afraid, then you understand nothing at all. So, for your own sake, understand this. I'm the Doctor. I'm coming to find you, and I will never, ever stop.

( Door grates shut )

The Doctor: Because you won't see this coming!

( Splashing )

The Doctor: If I didn't know better, I'd say I've travelled 7,000 years into the future.

Aah!

"How many seconds in eternity?"

( Hissing, he yells )

( He groans )

( Hissing )

( He gasps for air )

The Doctor: If I didn't know better, I'd say I've travelled 12,000 years into the future.

"How many seconds in eternity?" And the shepherd's boy...

( He yells )

( He gasps for air )

( Tinkling )

( Creature screeches )

The Doctor: .. 600,000 years into the future.

Argh!

"How many seconds in eternity?" And the shepherd's boy says...

Argh!

( He gasps for air )

( Screeching )

The Doctor: .. 1,200,000 years into the future.

..And the shepherd's boy says...

Argh!

( He gasps for air )

The Doctor: .. Two million years into the future.

..And the shepherd's boy says...

( He gasps for air )

( Creature screeches )

The Doctor: .. 20 million years into the future.

Ow!

And the shepherd's boy says... "There's this mountain of pure diamond. It takes an hour to climb it, and an hour to go around it!"

( He gasps for air )

( Creature screeches )

The Doctor: .. 52 million years.

"Every hundred years, a little bird comes and sharpens its beak on the diamond mountain..."

( He gasps for air )

The Doctor: .. Nearly a billion years.

Argh!

"..And when the entire mountain is chiselled away, the first second of eternity will have passed!"

( He gasps for air )

The Doctor: .. Well over a billion years.

Argh!

You must think that's a hell of a long time.

The Doctor: .. Two billion years.

Personally, I think that's a hell of a...

( He gasps for air )

[ Room 12 ]

Aaargh!

( Cracking )

( Crumbling )

( Wind howls )

( Creature screeches )

( Metallic clattering )

The Doctor: Personally, I think that's a hell of a bird.

[ Planet surface ]

( Loud crash )

( Wind howls )

( Whooshing )

( Mechanical clinking )

( Light footsteps approach )

The Doctor: Go to the city. Find somebody important. Tell them, I'm back. Tell them, I know what they did, and I'm on my way. And if they ask you who I am, tell them, I came the long way round.

You can probably still hear me... so just between ourselves... you've got the prophecy wrong. The Hybrid is not half Dalek. Nothing is half Dalek. The Daleks would never allow that. The Hybrid destined to conquer Gallifrey and stand in its ruins... is me.

[ Next time... ]

The Hybrid. I think it's time to tell the truth.

I heard the Doctor had come home. One so loves fireworks.

What's he up to?

The Hybrid is a creature thought to be crossbred from two warrior races.

The Doctor: I know I went too far.

You have broken every code you ever lived by.

On my command!

Is it true?

The Doctor (O.C.): She's my friend.

Fire!

Team to Sector 52, extraction chamber seven. Regeneration in progress.

`
The Doctor
Peter Capaldi

The Veil
Jami Reid-Quarrell

Writer
Steven Moffat

Director
Rachel Talalay

Producer
Peter Bennett

Executive Producer