04x01 - The Darkest Hour: Part One

Episode transcripts for the show "Merlin". Aired: September 2008 to December 2012.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

The saga of King Arthur and his wizard, Merlin, both young men struggling to understand their future destinies.

04x01 - The Darkest Hour: Part One

Post by bunniefuu »

Episode 4.01 – The Darkest Hour is just before the Dawn (Part One)

“In a land of myth and a time of magic, the destiny of a great kingdom rests on the shoulders of a young man. His name… Merlin.”

---

Plains of Denaria (day)

A cloaked figure struggles to pull a horse cart along a dusty road. Four nights approach on horseback.

Sir Leon: Halt!

The cloaked woman stops.

Sir Leon: Stay where you are.

The woman sets down the cart handles a as the knights dismount, Sir Elyan among them.

Sir Leon: Where are you headed?...

Morgana: The Seas of Meredor.

Sir Leon: What's in the cart?...

Morgana says nothing. Sir Leon motions for the spare knights to search it and Morgana turns around.

Sir Leon: Lady Morgana.

Morgana uses magic to throw each of the knights to the ground. She looks around, pulls off her hood and pulls back a blanket in the cart.

Morgana: You’re all right?

Morgause: Yes, thank you, Sister. But we must hurry. Night is nearly upon us...

Morgause turns her face towards Morgana, revealing a hideous deformity to the right side of her face.

Morgause: … And we still have far to go.

--- New Opening Credits ---

Castle Square

Merlin runs through knights and servants and into the Castle. Servants are decorating the castle with vines and Merlin ducks under one of them as he bolts up the Griffin Stairway.

Merlin: Sorry.

---

Castle Kitchens

Merlin bumps into more servants and nicks some food off a passing plate. The head cook accosts him with a ladle.

Head Cook: What are you doing in my kitchen?

Merlin: Uh, the prince's shirt.

The cook motions to the line above the stove where the pots are hanging.

Head Cook: Keep your dirty fingers off my food, d’you understand?

Merlin grabs the shirt and a hook on a string drops down in front of his face. He looks up, confused. Sir Gwaine and Sir Percival are peering down at him with eager and mischievous grins. Gwaine puts a finger to his lips and Merlin laughs. Merlin attaches the hook to one of the roasting chickens and pulls on the string. The knights pull it up to them as Merlin exits hastily.

Head Cook: Oi!

---

Castle corridors

Merlin weaves through bustling servants. A servant with wine pitchers bumps into him and spills it all over Arthur's newly washed shirt. Merlin picks up the stained shirt and stares at it.

Sir Lancelot: You could try a bit of salt.

Merlin: Arthur is going to k*ll me.

Sir Lancelot: Let's see…

Sir Lancelot looks at the shirt.

Sir Lancelot: …You've faced far worse, Merlin.

Merlin: He needs it for tonight.

Sir Lancelot: I'm sure a man of your talents can think of something.

Lancelot lifts his eyebrows knowingly. Lancelot keeps walking and Merlin checks to see no one's looking.

Merlin: *spell*Fordwin wamm!

Lancelot stops and turns around. Merlin shows him the clean shirt and Lancelot opens his arms as if to say "See, that was easy." The both continue on their way.

---

Arthur’s chambers

Arthur's leaning against his desk and writing, as Merlin enters with his clean white shirt.

Merlin: You’re dressed.

Arthur: Yes, Merlin. I'm not an idiot.

Arthur turns around to walk behind his desk. He didn't manage to pull his shirt all the way through his belt in the back and his skin is showing. Merlin sniggers.

Merlin: Are you sure about that?

Arthur: I beg your pardon?

Merlin: It's just that…

Arthur: Merlin!

Merlin: But you…

Arthur: I am trying to write a speech.

Merlin: D’ you want help?

Arthur: No.

Merlin: You won't want this, then?

Merlin holds up a scroll and Arthur looks up from his desk.

Merlin: … I spent all night working on it.

Arthur takes the scroll and looks over it with exaggerated scepticism.

Merlin: … What do you think?

Arthur hands it back to Merlin.

Arthur: It needs a polish.

Merlin: I'll add it to the list.

Arthur tosses the speech he was working on.

Arthur: Merlin, there aren't many servants who get the chance to write a prince's speech. Obviously it would be too much for you to say, "Thank you."

Merlin stares at Arthur for a moment and walks out with his laundry without deigning reply.

Arthur smiles.

---

Seas of Meredor

Morgana helps Morgause limp out of the cart in the foggy wood.

Morgause: The Isle of the Blessed.

Morgana helps Morgause to the dock. A ferryman waits for them by a longboat. He holds out his hand. Morgause places a coin in it.

Morgause: You know where we wish to go.

The sisters huddle in the boat, the ferryman at the helm, as it glides across the sea.

---

Uther's chambers

Uther's hand shakes badly as he lowers his goblet to the table in front of his chair. Gwen enters and watches him with a pitying expression before she approaches him.

Gwen: You’ve not eaten, Sire. Sire?

Uther doesn't seem to hear her, lost in his own misery. Gwen takes the tray of untouched food and meets Gaius on her way out. She looks at the potion in Gaius's hand.

Gwen: It doesn't seem to make any difference.

Gaius: I'm not sure it ever will but at least it gives him peace.

Gwen: It's been a year since Morgana betrayed him.

Gaius: (nods) His heart is broken and his spirit is gone. Are you joining us for the feast tonight?

Gwen: I don't think so. I need to stay with the King.

Gaius: You're very good to him, Gwen.

Gwen: I don't do it for him; I do it for Arthur.

---

Seas of Meredor

Morgause and Morgana continue across the sea with the ferryman.

---

Council Chamber

Sir Leon and Sir Elyan ride into the square and report to Arthur and the Council.

Sir Leon: The reports are true, Sire. We caught up with Morgana on the Plains of Denaria.

Arthur: Was she alone?

Sir Elyan: (shakes head) There was someone else.

Arthur: Morgause?

Sir Elyan: I couldn't be sure.

Agravaine: Where was Morgana heading?

Sir Leon: The Seas of Meredor.

Gaius: Isle of the Blessed.

Agravaine steps into the light.

Agravaine: I will send out patrols at first light.

Arthur: Thank you, Agravaine.

Sir Leon: Sire, you should know her powers have grown. Sir Bertrand and Sir Wontague are both dead.

Arthur: Keep me informed of any developments.

The councilmen exit. Agravaine remains.

Arthur: For months, nothing. Why now?

Agravaine: We knew she couldn't stay hidden forever. Today, tomorrow, does it matter? We mustn't live in fear, Arthur. Camelot is strong. If Morgana were to act, we'd be ready for her.

Arthur: You're right, of course. I don't know how I'd've got through these last few months without you. Thank you, Uncle.

Agravaine: I made a promise to your mother. I'll always be there for you.

Arthur nods with a smile and exits

---

Isle of the Blessed (night)

[SCREECHING]

Wyvern shriek as they fly around the fortress as Morgana's boat continues to the isle.

---

Banquet Hall

Arthur and Agravaine sit on either side of the king's chair at the feast. Arthur stands and the laughter dies down.

Arthur: Samhain… It is the time of the year when we feel closest to the spirits of our ancestors. It is a time to remember those we have lost, and to celebrate their passing.

---

Isle of the Blessed – Altar

Morgause: Samhain is almost upon us. We must hurry.

Morgana: I can't do this.

Morgause: Sister… Remember what I’ve told you. It is the only way. What you are about to do will affect everyone, even you. But most importantly, it will bring our enemies to their knees. You must be strong, remember that.

Morgause presents Morgana with a dagger.

Morgause: … Do not be scared.

Morgana takes the dagger.

Morgause: I am not long for this world. There is nothing left for me here now.

Morgause weakly climbs onto the altar stone and takes Morgana's hand.

Morgause: Please, sister, let my parting be my final gift to you.

Morgause lies down on the altar.

---

Banquet Hall

Arthur raises his glass in a toast.

Arthur: To the king.

Everyone stands to toast.

[GONG CHIMES]

---

Morgana: *spell*Eala leofu sweoster, paem gastum befaeste ic pe. Alys pa peoster pe inne onwunap.

Morgana poises the dagger to strike, her eyes glow and she plunges it into Morgause's chest. Morgause gasps.

[METAL STRIKES STONE]

Morgause: Uh!

---

Banquet Hall

Merlin senses the magic and everything goes into slow-mo. Image becomes fuzzy and voices are distorted.

Gaius: To the King!

Agravaine: To the King!

The knights toast their glasses as Merlin freaks out.

---

Morgana is blown off her feet.

---

Banquet Hall

Merlin sees a dead-looking woman in a black, hooded cloak with a staff standing in the middle of the banquet hall.

The Cailleach (whisper): Emrys. Emrys. Emrys.

[JUG CLATTERS]

Merlin drops his empty serving pitcher and the whole hall goes quiet and stares at him. He swoons. Lancelot rushes to his side. Arthur rolls his eyes. Merlin shivers on the floor.

---

The Cailleach strokes Morgana's cheek and Morgana wakes. She sits up and sees the cloaked woman standing in front of the rift.

Morgana: Who are you?

The Cailleach: I am the Cailleach, the gatekeeper to the Spirit World. You have torn the veil between the worlds.

[SCREAMING]

The Cailleach: The Dorocha. They are the voices of the dead, my child, and, like the dead, they are numberless.

Morgana looks around in fear.

The Cailleach: You are right to be afraid, Morgana. Your enemies will rue this day and all the destruction it brings, but you must be aware… Tearing the veil between the worlds has created a new world… and you will not walk through it alone. The one they call Emrys will walk in your shadow. He is your destiny… and he is your doom… Emrys.

---

Merlin’s room

Lancelot lays Merlin on the bed.

Sir Lancelot: What happened?

Gaius: I don't know. I've never felt anyone so cold before.

Sir Lancelot: Will he be all right?

Gaius: I'll need Hawthorne to improve the blood flow… and blankets… lots of blankets.

---

Gaius’s chambers

Gaius is grinding something as Merlin steps out of his chamber wearing a blanket. They sit together.

Merlin: When she spoke, her voice...it was as though it came from the depths of the Earth, and her eyes...they were so sad. So much pain in them. (He’s shivering) Who is she?

Gaius: The Cailleach… the gatekeeper to the Spirit World.

Merlin: Why is she there?

Gaius: It was on the stroke of midnight of Samhain's eve. The moment when the veil between the worlds is at its thinnest. It cannot be a coincidence.

Merlin: Why was I the only one to see her?

Gaius: You have great power, Merlin. For someone so gifted, such visions are not uncommon.

Merlin: But you don't understand. It wasn't a vision. She knew who I was. She called me Emrys.

Gaius ponders.

Merlin: What is it? What does it mean?

Gaius: I'm not sure. But if someone has torn the veil between the worlds, then God help us all.

---

Arthur’s chambers (morning)

Merlin brings in a breakfast tray and sets it noisily on the table while Arthur's still in bed.

Merlin opens the curtains, making a lot of noise.

Merlin: What?

[KNOCK AT THE DOOR]

Arthur puts a pillow over his face. Someone knocks at the door.

Arthur: (muffled) Merlin!

Merlin: That's not me.

Arthur takes off the pillow and Sir Leon enters.

Sir Leon: Excuse me, Sire. You're needed in the Council Chambers as a matter of urgency.

---

Council Chamber

[GIRL CRIES]

The Council is gathered around her.

Arthur: What's happened to her?

Agravaine: Her village was att*cked.

Arthur: By who?

Agravaine: It’s not entirely clear, Sire.

[SOBBING CONTINUES]

Arthur: What's your name?

Drea: Drea.

Arthur steps closer and the girl tenses. Arthur puts a comforting hand on her shoulder and speaks tenderly.

Arthur: Drea.

She uncertainly makes eye contact.

Arthur: I'm Arthur. Don't be frightened. Tell me what happened.

Drea: My mother, my father, my litter sister, they're...

She starts weeping again.

Arthur: It's all right. It's all right… Someone att*cked them.

Drea nods.

Arthur: Who?

Drea: There was no one… just...shapes.

Arthur: You didn't see their faces?

Drea: They had no faces.

Arthur looks uncertainly at a few councilmen. Merlin turns at the sound of something behind him. He seems to hear some kind of screeching.

Drea: I… I keep telling you. They were there, but...they weren't there. They moved so quickly… It was as if they weren't real, but...they must've been. I could hear the people screaming. And then...silence. They were all...dead.

[SHE SOBS]

Arthur: Hey. Thank you.

Arthur turns her to cry on Gaius's shoulder.

Arthur: Where is this village?

Agravaine: Hawden. to the east of the White Mountains, no more than half a day's hard ride.

Arthur: Ready the men.

---

Forest

The Round Table Knights ride out of Camelot. Merlin is startled by the sound of a woodpecker.

Arthur: Merlin… you need your comfort blanket?

Merlin: What do you mean?

Arthur: You're making ME edgy.

[HORSE WHINNIES] Merlin jumps.

Arthur: That's a horse.

Merlin: Maybe it sensed something.

Arthur: Yes, that you're a clot pole.

Merlin: That's my word.

Arthur: Yeah, and it suits you perfectly.

The knights look at a deserted village from the top of a hill.

Arthur: It's too quiet.

---

In the village (night)

They enter the village on foot, night has fallen. All is silent.

A door creaks loudly and they freeze until a goat bleats and wanders out. They split up in pairs to search.

[CRUNCHING] They all jump.

Sir Gwaine: Sorry.

Sir Elyan: Here!

Gwaine drops the apple and they all run to Elyan. Inside one of the houses, they stare at frosted corpses. They all turn as something whips past behind them.

Arthur: You saw it?

Sir Gwaine: We are literally chasing shadows.

Arthur: Come on.

They exit the house and search the village at night, bearing torches.

[DISTANT WAILS]

Merlin splits off from Lancelot when he hears a door shut in a barn. [RUSTLING] He walks around cautiously [SQUAWKING], a chicken jumps out at him. He sighs in relief. Something shrieks quietly behind him and he sees a wisp of it as it exits the barn. Merlin chases the shrieking wisp and loses it.

[DISTANT SCREECHING] [GROWLING] Screaming is getting louder.

Merlin: *spell* Leoht!

Merlin shines a light from his hand. The light fades.

Merlin: *spell* Leoht! Leoht

The light shines briefly and disappears.

Merlin: Leoht

Nothing happens. Screams echo around him. A wisp sh**t straight for him.

Merlin: *spell* Fleoh nu on moras!

Merlin's eyes glow, but nothing happens.

Sir Lancelot: Merlin!

Lancelot uses his torch to repel the wisp.

Merlin: (tears in the eyes) My magic...I couldn't use it.

The others come running.

Sir Lancelot: There's something out there!

Arthur: You saw it?

Sir Lancelot: When it saw the light, it fled.

Sir Gwaine: It scared the horses.

Merlin: It's not something you can chase or something you can k*ll.

Arthur: We need to get out of here.

[DISTANT WAILING]

---

Castle Square (night)

[BELL RINGS]

People are screaming and running into the Castle. Gwen rushes down a hallway with blankets and a torch.

Agravaine: Gwen! Warn Gaius there are more victims by the western gate.

Agravaine continues down another hallway and Gwen rushes on until a window behind her smashes in right behind a knight. The skull wisp rushes in and the knight screams. Gwen takes cover behind a column and brandishes her torch at the skull wisp. The skull wisp leaves and she crouches to check on the knight. He's frozen solid.

---

Morgue

Guards exit with a stretcher and Gaius pulls a cloth over the face of one of many victims.

Merlin: Gaius.

Gaius: Merlin…You saw them.

Merlin nods.

Gaius: Here, help me. Give me some more sheets.

Merlin's still acting strangely.

Gaius: Merlin?

Merlin: My magic is useless against them. I've tried. I have never felt so powerless. Something deep inside… When it came for me, I felt this emptiness. I couldn't breathe… I'm scared.

Gaius: Merlin, it's all right. It's not your fault.

---

Agravaine’s chambers (morning)

Agravaine: We've suffered fifty dead, maybe more. Mainly in the Lower Town.

Arthur: And there's no way of fighting them?

Agravaine: No, our only weapons are torches. And the light doesn't k*ll them, it only repels them.

Arthur: What are they?

Gaius: The Dorocha, Sire. The Spirits of the dead. On Samhain's eve in the time of the Old Religion, the high priestesses would perform a blood sacrifice and release them.

Agravaine: But who would do such a thing now?

Gaius: Morgana.

Arthur: You see her hand in this?

Gaius: We know she was travelling to the Isle of the Blessed.

Arthur: How do we defeat these creatures?

Gaius: I don't know, Sire. No mortal has ever survived their touch.

---

Arthur’s chambers (night)

Merlin lights candles.

[CREAKING]

He drops his basket of candles; one rolls near the curtains. Arthur looks up.

Merlin: I thought I saw something.

Arthur: What was it, a spider?

Merlin sees the curtain move and stares at the candle on the floor. Arthur watches Merlin's hesitation. They both look at the candle on the floor.

Arthur: Just pick it up.

Merlin doesn’t move, they both stare at the curtain.

Arthur: Do you want me to get one of the maids to do it for you?

Merlin: It's not a joke.

Arthur: Yeah.

Arthur approaches the curtain, uses his sword to whip it open. Nothing's there. Merlin sighs in relief.

Arthur: You see, Merlin, I could never be like you. I could never let myself look so spineless.

Merlin: Oh, you see I'm different. I could never let myself look heartless.

Arthur: What?

Merlin: All right. Thoughtless.

Arthur: Never.

Merlin: Definitely humourless.

Arthur: That’s because you're not funny.

Arthur hands Merlin the candle.

[SCREAMING]

Merlin: You're not scared?

Arthur: Oh, I am, Merlin. Maybe more than you.

---

Camelot (night)

The guards light fires in grates all over the city. The Dorocha sweeps past some candles in the Gaius's Chambers and blows out some of them. Gaius snaps up from his work.

---

In the lower town.

Knights patrol the streets with torches. Sir Percival lags behind when he sees/hears something. He walks over to some barrels and finds three small children huddling behind them.

Sir Percival: Hey, hey, hey. It's all right. It's all right, you're safe now.

Percival hears the Dorocha and checks to see the knights walking in the distance.

Percival leaves the torch and runs through the street with the children in his arms. The Dorocha streaks right for them and Elyan jumps in with a torch just in time. Elyan takes one of the kids and they bring them to their parents in a house.

Sir Percival: Thanks.

Sir Elyan: Couldn't let you have all the glory, could I?

They grin at each other.

---

Castle square (morning)

The square is packed with refugees carrying their belongings. There is a huge line of people waiting to get some help.

---

Council Chamber

Gaius: They're coming from across the kingdom. They're looking to Camelot for protection.

Arthur: And we will give it to them.

Agravaine: We cannot house them all.

Arthur: We have to try.

Agravaine: How? We cannot live like this forever, Arthur. We must find a way to vanquish these creatures.

Arthur: Somewhere in all your books, Gaius, there must be something. All I'm asking for is a way to fight them.

Gaius: I fear the Dorocha cannot be defeated by swords and arrows, Sire. If I am right, and the veil between the worlds is torn, then there's only one path open to us… To travel to the Isle of the Blessed and repair it.

Arthur: And how do I do that?

Gaius: I'm not sure. But for the tear to be created it would have required a blood sacrifice. To seal it… will require another.

Arthur: We ride before nightfall.

Gaius: And who will be the sacrifice?

Arthur: If laying down my life will spare the people of Camelot, then that is what I must do.

Forest

Agravaine rides through the woods.

---

Morgana’s cave

Agravaine enters without knocking. She puts a dagger to his back.

Agravaine: My lady?

Morgana: My lord… I trust you bring me good news.

She lowers the dagger and walks further into her home.

Morgana: Tell me.

Agravaine: The kingdom is on its knees.

Morgana: How terrible.

Agravaine: (chuckles) Indeed.

Morgana: What of the poor people?

Agravaine: More fall every night.

Morgana: Such a shame.

Agravaine: You should know that Arthur intends to vanquish these creatures.

Morgana: (scoffs) Impossible.

Agravaine: He makes ready to go to the Isle of the Blessed as we speak. And if the Dorocha don't k*ll him on the way, our brave little lamb intends to sacrifice himself to repair the veil.

Morgana thinks it over and turns away.

Agravaine: Something's troubling you… Morgana!

Morgana: Something the Cailleach said. She spoke of someone called Emrys. Called him my doom.

Agravaine: Your doom? What did she mean?

Morgana: I don't know.

Agravaine: Morgana, we should be celebrating. Arthur will be dead within the week, leaving the throne open for Camelot's rightful heir.

Morgana smirks.

---

Uther’s chambers

Arthur sits by his father.

Arthur: There are many things I have to thank you for. You've taught me so much. Most of all, you have taught me what it is to be a prince. I hope that this time you'll be proud of me.

Arthur cries as Gwen walks in the doorway. Arthur stands up, cups his father's chin and kisses his forehead. Arthur turns to leave and Uther grabs his arm.

Uther: Don't leave me.

Arthur: I have to, Father.

Uther: Please.

Arthur squeezes his father's hand, then wipes his tears and leaves. He sees Gwen and goes to her.

Arthur: Promise me you'll look after him when I'm gone.

Gwen: What is it?

Arthur doesn't respond.

Gwen: … You don't have to go.

Arthur: I do.

Gwen: Please, Arthur, take care. You are precious, not just the kingdom.

Arthur: Smile.

Gwen: I can't.

Arthur: D’you remember...the first time I kissed you?

She smiles.

Arthur: There. That's the memory I want to take with me.

They embrace. Gwen holds him tight.

---

Outside, the Knights are getting ready to leave. They walk their horses out of the castle in slow-mo.

---

Agravaine’s chambers

Arthur hands Agravaine a ring bearing the Pendragon seal.

Arthur: You have to take this. It bears the royal seal. In my absence, responsibility to the kingdom rests with you.

Agravain: What about your father?

Arthur: Should he die, you are to assume the throne.

Agravaine: Arthur…

Arthur: You're the only person I trust, Uncle.

Agravaine: I beg you, for the sake of the kingdom, there must be another way.

Agravaine presses the ring back into Arthur's hand.

Arthur: My mind is made up. I'm just grateful you're here.

Arthur leaves Agravaine with the ring.

---

Merlin’s room

Gaius enters while Merlin is packing.

Gaius: Merlin. What’re you doing?

Merlin: It’s my destiny to protect Arthur.

Gaius: How? Your magic is powerless against the Dorocha.

Merlin: Then I must sacrifice myself in his place.

Gaius: No.

Merlin: My life has always been marked out by destiny. If this is meant to be...I'm not afraid. I will gladly die, Gaius, knowing that one day...Albion will live.

Gaius hugs Merlin.

---

Outside the castle

Lancelot watches Gwen walking to him. He smiles.

Sir Lancelot: Gwen.

Gwen: Will you grant me a favour?

Sir Lancelot: Anything.

Gwen looks over at Arthur exiting the city gate with Merlin.

Gwen: Look after him. Bring him home.

Lancelot looks disappointed.

Sir Lancelot: I will protect him with my life. You have my promise.

Gwen: Thank you.

---

The forest

The knights ride out. After dismounting, they prepare to make camp.

Arthur: Elyan, look after the horses, they need watering. I need someone to volunteer to get wood.

Merlin: I'll do that.

Lancelot watches Merlin go and follows.

Sir Lancelot: You shouldn't be here. You have no powers.

Merlin: Doesn't matter.

Sir Lancelot: You're not a warrior, Merlin. I don't want to see you hurt. If you leave in the morning, I'll cover with Arthur.

Merlin: It's your duty to protect Camelot no matter what the cost… Well, it's my duty to protect Arthur. Surely you can understand that.

Sir Lancelot: I can understand that very well.

---

Morgana’s cave

Morgana is dreaming. Red and black banners lie strewn on a b*ttlefield with knights’ corpses. A raven sitting on a helmet takes flight. Excalibur is stuck in the ground (or in a knight's chest) Emrys walks on the field with a white cane.

Morgana: Help me, Emrys. Please.

Morgana's wrinkled hand reaches up to Old Merlin from her position on the ground.

Merlin: Is this really what you wanted, Morgana?

Morgana: Please...

Morgana wakes in her bed. At first she seems afraid, then angry.

Morgana: Emrys.

---

The knights ride by a field littered with peasants corpses.

Arthur: We need to reach Daelbeth by nightfall.

The knights pick up the pace.

---

Ruined fortress (dusk)

Arthur: Pair off. Find any wood you can. Get the fires burning.

The knights collect firewood while carrying torches. Gwaine hears a man's scream and drops his firewood. The nights gather together as screams start to surround them. The Dorocha launches at them and Arthur wards it off with a torch.

Arthur: Let's go!

Sir Percival: We haven’t got enough!

Arthur: Go!

The knights are back at the fire pit with Merlin and Lancelot. Merlin pretends to use the flint.

Merlin: (whisper)*spell* Bel onbryne.

The fire lights instantly. Lancelot looks at him. Merlin makes a cute shrug face. Lancelot grins in amusement. The knights stand around the fire with torches. Percival looks at the fire, then at Arthur.

Sir Percival: It won't get us through the night.

Arthur: It’ll keep the area safe for a while.

Later, Gwaine throws a log on the fire.

Sir Gwaine: The last one. Maybe we should draw lots, see who gets some more.

Arthur: I'll go.

Sir Lancelot: You'll need help.

Merlin: I'll go with him.

Arthur: You sure you're the right person?

Merlin: Well, since when have you known how to collect firewood?

The knights chuckle. Lancelot watches as they walk off. Merlin collects firewood while Arthur stands guard with a torch. The Dorocha charges them from behind.

Arthur drops the torch to tackle Merlin out of the way. They fall off the wall.

Arthur: Let's go!

They rush through some passages and close a door behind them. The Dorocha seems to lose them. The knights back at the fire pit shuffle around anxiously.

Sir Lancelot: They should have been back by now.

Sir Elyan: Someone needs to go and look for them.

Sir Percival: We've only one torch between us.

Lancelot grabs the torch and starts walking off.

Sir Lancelot: Who's coming?

Elyan follows, then the other knights. Gwaine grabs his sword belt and puts it on as he follows.

Arthur and Merlin hide behind a corner in one of the fortress rooms. Merlin ties a cloth around Arthur's injured arm. They are shivering.

Arthur: It's cold.

Merlin: Right.

Arthur: You're not feeling it?

Merlin: I…

Merlin shrugs his shoulders and shakes his head.

Arthur: You know, Merlin, you're braver than I give you credit for.

Merlin: Really? Was that a compliment?

Arthur: Don't be stupid.

Merlin chuckles and then Arthur does, too. Back in the passages, Lancelot leads the knights through the fortress, warding off the Dorocha with the torch. Back in the hiding chamber, Merlin and Arthur listen to the screaming spirits.

Arthur: Of all the things I've faced...I never worried about dying.

Merlin: I don't think you should now.

Arthur: Sometimes you puzzle me.

Merlin: You never fathomed me out.

Arthur: No.

Merlin: I always thought if things had been different, we'd've been good friends.

Arthur: Yeah.

Merlin: That's if you hadn't been such an arrogant, pompous, dollop head.

Arthur chuckles.

Merlin: We will defeat the Dorocha. We will, Arthur, together.

Arthur: Well, I appreciate that. You know, you're a brave man, Merlin… between battles.

Merlin chuckles.

Merlin: You don't know how many times I've saved your life.

Arthur: If I ever become king, I'm going to have you made court jester!

They chuckle. Then they hear the Dorocha. In the passages, Lancelot and the knights continue the search. Back in the hiding chamber, Merlin and Arthur wait.

Arthur: They say the darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Merlin: Feels pretty dark now.

Arthur: It can't be long.

[SCREECHING]

The Dorocha finds them and sweeps through the door. Arthur starts to rush out from around the corner, but Merlin pulls him back and stands up himself, running straight for the Dorocha.

Arthur: Merlin, no!

[SCREECHING]

Merlin jumps at the Dorocha. It catches him in the chest, stops him mid-air and throws him back against the stone wall.

Lancelot enters and wards off the Dorocha with the torch, then hands it to Percival and turns to Arthur.

Arthur and Lancelot go to Merlin. They turn him over, his face is covered with frost.