Les Miserables (1978)

Musicals/Concerts Movie Collection.

Moderator: Maskath3

Watch on Amazon   Merchandise   Collectables

Musicals/Concerts Movie Collection.

Les Miserables (1978)

Post by bunniefuu »

[Music]

so long as laws shall exist which create hell's in the midst of civilization so long as men are degrading women ruined children afraid so long as they shall be ignorant spa vertie and wretchedness on this earth stories such as this one must be told

[Music]

[Music]

[Music]

[Music] named Jean Valjean occupation thief no your worship I'm a woodturner this court sentences you to five years in prison

please you worship I'm a woodcutter but you see there isn't a worker I can't find work and my sister here and her children are starving take him away please I'm not a thief you worship my father before me was a woodcutter only he's dead now my mother too well my sister's own husband or all of them dead if only I could find work I beg you you worship her bread to eat that's all just to eat just to live remoras

[Music] easy nothing you can do anyway

[Music]

[Music]

[Music]

[Music]

[Music]

where's that prisoner - for 6:01 named Valjean Jean Valjean take him off

continue

[Music] how beautiful is the moon tonight full

you alright sure it was my father's trade was talking about he taught me to be a woodcutter for what for this better he teach you to be a thief

[Music]

go bet you leave her in a wedge there isn't climbing we did no yes he's dying already everyone stay where you are k*ll yourself

[Music]

I'll get back to work

[Music]

[Music] it is the decision of the m*llitary tribunal that five years be added to your sentence I am requested by law to inquire if you have anything to say on your behalf yes well I wish to give you my sacred promise Monsieur one what's that I've tried to live like a man no more if you treat men like animals that is what you'll get three months of solitary confinement in the hole for insolence take him away my sacred promise the next time I'm gonna escape

[Music]

where's that bozo know him yes inspector it is Val Joe

[Music]

[Applause]

[Music] it is the decision of the m*llitary tribunal that 10-years be added to your sentence I am requested by law to inquire if you have anything to say for yourself so they speak up someday I'll k*ll you six months in the hole for disrespect take him away

[Music]

[Music]

[Music]

[Music] because how long have you been here

19 years for what

[Music] we k*ll someone what about him fellas wrong 19 we came here together for what a loaf of bread

[Music] he stole a loaf of bread

[Music] my god

[Music]

ciao hmm you think maybe someday you'll get out I will get out oh you do steal right No not bread you don't k*ll the bed

[Music]

[Music]

[Music]

[Applause]

we should do something what for your fall that's all I'll be k*lled

let me try don't let him break my chains

[Applause]

[Music]

[Music]

not a trace nothing he's dead for certain shall we continue the search

[Music]

[Applause]

[Laughter]

[Music]

[Music]

Oh

[Music]

[Music]

[Music]

[Music]

[Music]

[Music]

[Music]

who's at the door Rebecca Oh monster what does he want to k*ll us I need help food please you will come inside well maybe well you insert another Kn*fe and fork for the guests I'm sure you're welcome here my friend come in I want you to put tin sheets upon the bed idiotic oh you mean to sleep here yes I think our guest could do with a good night's rest hmm what's your I beg you to consider it see to eat advance well my friend perhaps you will wish to wash before supper I

can't pay for any of this money hmm and I wouldn't take it if you did your motto here than myself and all there is here is yours you don't even know who I am huh what I do you're my brother and I can tell that you've suffered greatly even for a priest you're different from the others but there are many more of them than there are of you no man who's created good by God can be made entirely bad by man there is always a spark which evil can never extinguish I don't know anything about that wait to live that's all it's in us for now madam everywhere we are the silver plates we use for guests

[Music]

[Music] you

[Music]

[Music]

[Music]

[Music] yeah I'll tell ya the silver the silver is has gone it has been stolen by that beggar I told you I warned you that scoundrel he took it in the night well I'm madly well I broke fully held back this silver which belongs to the poor and who was evidently a poor man he is a thief we must do something we must inform the police he has come back he would k*ll us don't ah Monsignor if you please one moment what my senior you're not the priest then silence he's a bishop of course maybe enter Monsignor indeed you may have been waiting for you coming what a pleasant surprise I'm so happy to see you again with you what's that you have discovered of course that you forgot the candlesticks candlesticks they are also silver and I think you should fetch you 200 francs at least why didn't you take them with you Monsignor are you saying this man spoke the truth well we thought he was running away but he claimed that he yes yes I know he told you that his silver had been given to him a a good priest so it was you were mistaken in that case we should release him immediately I know you gentlemen try to do your duty and I do not blame you but you may retire now good day

you this is true I'm free here you will take these with you

[Music] no I can't take them

[Music] good now you'll be leaving peace father promise me promise that you will and probably the money from this silver and becoming an honest man do you hear me and I promise you that there is more joy in heaven over the face of a repentant sinner than the white silk robes of a hundred just man if you leave here with thoughts of hatred against your fellow man then you're worthy of pity but if you live with thoughts of kindness and peace well then you you are more worthy than any of us

[Music] go my brother for you no longer belong to evil I bought your soul and I withdraw from it all black thoughts and I give it to God

[Music]

[Applause]

[Music]

[Music]

[Music] we start with to fear it's the new police inspector

as you can see inspector you have arrived on a very special day the pair is only held once a year many a pocket will be picked before the Sun Goes Down you have no police posted the day of the pattern o day of the pair people can do as they wish within reason than for you were our beggars turn today almost everything the Lord is not allowed with special things a crime that is committed must be punished indeed sir I believe we shall have to institute some changes when I take out a very little crime here inspector it is the most part of prosperous times that we can thank our good mayor Monsieur Madeleine you see on the platform over there a truly wonderful man

[Music]

I've seen enough here let's go

[Music]

hey Francois do you want a girl you can have a cheap

[Music]

[Music]

[Applause]

[Music] yes is there anything else yes Monsieur you have a visitor waiting to see you yes he's the new inspector of the lease and he would like to introduce himself to you hmm very well happen coming you may come in sir

Inspector Javert at your service sir how do you do my privilege to serve you Monsieur Le Maire I am your new inspector of police and I trust you will never find me failing in my duty where are you served her before this I have been 21 years a to long prison I became chief of the guards there well we welcome you inspector is it possible Monsieur have we met before no no you have never been in too long never and might I inquire of when you may be free to inspect my men at headquarters inspect your men in two short weeks Monsieur Le Maire I have brought a new discipline to the department and we would be honored by a visit at your earliest convenience tomorrow perhaps I'm busy tomorrow Friday very well in

thank you sir I will not take up any more of your time

[Music] beads said do you make beads here I understand yes Beach

[Music]

how long has this man been mayor three years I see your family know he lives alone that is he has a housekeeper sister Sam please a plain woman but well known in these parts because she never tells a lie he attends no social events only in his duty as man he keeps to himself how long has he lived here five years where did he come from I don't know but we're all grateful that he arrived the town was quite poor you see but he brought within this idea of using gum Lac instead of rosin to make the black bees sir so much cheaper that you could make twice as many at the same price he has doubled the wages of the workers and we're quite prosperous now thanks to Monsieur Medellin

[Music] it is quite plentiful in too long in fact they have used it there I believe in making black beans

[Music] why what is this - German sorry sir but this girl was found soliciting in the street be quiet piggy be quiet I said sit over there I'm good afternoon I'm Superman would you be good enough to inform Inspector Javert I worked hard in your factory but because I have a baby I know husband you got rid of me who did it who discharged you the supervisor months ago I had no money I have nothing nothing to send to the people looking after my child I sold my hair I sawed my daddy I have nothing left I would never strike a gentleman but he was not not a gentle enough be quiet woman you have committed a crime and you will have six months for it but I was protecting myself he struck me first six months your garden or anyone else can alter your sentence take her away one moment please so I would like this person to be set at liberty I'm sorry that cannot be why sir the creature has struck and insulted two gentlemen I'm sorry I've listened to this woman and I know what I'm doing my duty requires that she should go to prison for six months listen to me carefully she will not go for a single day Monsieur mayor I regret bitterly being forced to resist you sir but I believe I am within the limits of my authority No this affair belongs to the Borough Police by the Articles 9 and 11 of the Criminal Code it falls under my jurisdiction I order that she be set free at once if you were commit me sir not another word sir leave the room

[Music]

I knew nothing of what you told me yeah this is to help with your child you know nothing with me I am a stranger to you it was only a stranger who held out a hand to me once let me know if you have any more trouble

[Music]

how did it happen it's guys the freezer cart but it sank and he fell underneath hey have you know jack some of you start unloading the cart you come let's use this log as a lever under the answer

no Monsieur Madeleine here we k*lled come out

[Music] what is your name first take them to my carriage

[Music]

I believe I could prove it in court you believe that is all he is Jean Valjean no question mm-hmm for your own sake Nasir you had better be right sir we shall make our own investigation first and we shall inform you yes if the accusation is justified

[Music]

there's a person at the door a young woman she says you gave her money for her child and she must see sure

[Music] forgive me I don't want to bother you but I have no place else to go they want more money they are demanding it who the phone Rd is the innkeeper's who are looking after my little girl till I can't send for they now tell me she is very ill and they must have money for medicine what am I to do we shall send them a note and we shall send the money and ask them to bring the child at once Monsieur they were not another word it's done meanwhile we shall see if there's some work suitable for you to do with the factory sister said please

[Music]

[Music] evening sister

[Music] forgive me for interrupting masseur I will come straight to the point I am sorry to report that an inferior officer has failed you in the gravest manner I am here is is my duty to bring that fact to your knowledge and who is this officer myself and I request that you procure my dismissal at once I could have sent in my resignation but that is not enough I have done wrong and I deserve punishment I must be dismissed please sit down you were severe to me at headquarters unjustly be so justly now you wish to be dismissed why what have you done three weeks ago I took the occasion to go to Paris to see the prefect of police there and to denounce you as a mayor who was encroached upon the authority of the police no I denounced you there's an escaped convict in truth I thought you were I have had these notions for some time a certain resemblance to a man called him a Jean Valjean it may sound absurd I know but I took you for him all the same and I denounced you to the prefect and what was the response you received and first they were uncertain and then they told me I was mad they were right you admit them that you were mistaken indeed or you see saw the real Jean Valjean has been confirmed oh yes the police are certain if they have caught him at the town of Arras they will be tried in when his identity is proven he will be returned to prison for the rest of his life iris you see her yes the trial takes place there tomorrow morning and now Monsieur I ask that you dismiss me from service you exaggerate her error having heard your story I would like you to remain as Inspector don't you understand Monsieur there are two classes of people those who att*cked society and those who guarded we are the guardians and I have failed in my duty my own father spent time in prison indeed that is where I was born the laws of society can never be ignored very well we'll see No a gentleman would not give his hand to a spy good evening sir I will continue when my two teams on my place is filled

[Music]

[Music]

[Music] it's your bow John do you have anything further to say I am innocent I am NOT Jean Valjean you have heard the evidence of these three men these men all served with you at the to long prison and each one was identified doers Jean Valjean Oh in the face of this how can you pretend otherwise my name is Levesque I'm a wheelwright you are indeed a very clever fellow to have so many names they are mistaken I have always been a wheelwright it's a hard trade at 40 a man is finished and and I am telling the truth you you need only inquire I do not know what you want of me the truth your name to the back when I was a boy they called me little now I'm called old and and I have never stolen anything why's everyone so spiteful against me I am NOT the man you seek the defendant is correct

don't you recognize me what's your replies I don't I asked you to equip this prisoner he's not the man you seek I am the convict Jean Valjean yeah we have met before you are the mayor of Nantes you amante who taken leave of your senses you are on the verge of committing a great error I'm the only man who sees clearly here and I speak the truth brother don't you remember me I remember you call to mind the chequered braces you wore as a prisoner she needed you you have on your left shoulder a deep burn over the letters TFP isn't that so and closure pi you have on your right arm a date made in blue letters tonight gentlemen I have my prison identification I will not occupy the time of this court any longer the public prosecutor knows who I am and where I live I presume that all of you here think me worthy of pity but great God and I think I was on the point of doing nothing I consider myself worthy of envy still I should have preferred that none of this had happened

[Music] it's all right little one she's with you my angel soon you'll see her soon but you must get better first please just to look at her she is pretty please I must see her please there now you see you mustn't excite yourself you have to try to rest it's all right don't be frightened he hasn't come for you I know what you want then make haste I said come with me there is no Monsieur Le Maire in this room there is only a scoundrel inspector Monsieur Monsieur the inspector now a wooden plank was that speak up people talk aloud to me

I asked you to give me three days in which to go and fetch the child of this poor woman I'll pay whatever you want and if you don't trust me then come with me you think me a fool who can be bought three days in which you can bolt to pretend that you would fetch this creatures brat now that is fine fine

be quiet wench you think a streetwalker can be nursed like royalty no more there is no more Monsieur Le Maire

[Music]

[Music] you have k*lled this woman and our gods without come quickly or they will take you by force you to let me be for a moment

[Music] my solemn vow my sacred promise the child will be cared for

[Music]

now sir I am at your service

[Music]

[Applause]

[Music]

[Applause]

[Music] nothing inspector not a sign keep searching yes sir

[Music]

what's your machine

[Music] evolved for men to come with me at once

[Music] yeah take this to pay for a proper burial the rest you may use as you wish I can't tell you if I did you'd have to tell them and I don't want to put you in the position where you're forced to betray me listen they're coming Emily all around the house I must hide

[Music]

it's vector it's very late where you step away from the door please sister

where is Monsieur man are you deaf sister where is Monsieur Le Maire I do not know you're alone in the house must I ask every question twice

[Music]

I'm alone it is my understanding system that you have never told a falsehood in your life never then forgive me for asking but it is my duty you have not seen the man who calls himself Monsieur Medellin within the last hour

[Music]

I must humbly beg your pardon

[Music]

[Music] god bless you sister I've lied I'm a this forcibly placed to your credit in paradise got me with you miss you indeed

[Music] you miss toad more water now for the night miss you know I would like to speak to your husband my dad about the child you have living with you because I do what has she done now rest assured Monsieur she will be severely punished is she a problem for you I can't even b*at Romani stage work out of the child how would you like to be rid of her it may I be of some assistance for sure the gentleman wants to take the little toad away with him are you talking about can you think like that oh no I'm sorry Monsieur that's impossible see ya I adore the child don't I my dear we're really very attached to her I mean of course to offer you money for her you can put your money away Monsieur I'll consent to that did not the child out we couldn't bear to part with her oh yeah my wife is quick with her sometimes but she loves her too you won't accept money then well we are very poor Monsieur well I can't just give the child up to the first passerby and unless well we would have to know where she's going so we could see her from time to time 500 francs but when we leave here you will not see her again no I'm sorry Monsieur the sacrifice is too great unless yes well if you could see your way to make in two thousand francs done here and we will never meet again I

[Music]

brought this for you we're going to Paris to the largest city in the world

imbecile stupid stupid he would have given fifteen thousand francs who is this man

498 he is the manager of an inn he and his wife but does he know where they're gone he followed them to the road out of town a road that couldn't lead them here to Paris and I request a transfer here at once do you think you can find him if he is here I will find him

[Applause]

[Music]

good you did exactly what I told you to do never open unless you're here to mourn ox now because it's just such a good people we're gonna start our lessons lessons yes reading but I can't reach exactly that's why I'm going to teach you we've covered the entire Cartier Pula here cover it again and again and then the Cartier moved on you'll find that most thieves are not attracted to the Cartier move to Jean Valjean is not most thieves do it

[Music]

[Music] you see anyone answering the description please notify us immediately I use his name is Jean Valjean you may be using

[Music]

wake up my child we must leave here at once

[Music] are you leaving Monsieur Oh a little morning walk my angel and I tell me did I see the police here a while ago they are looking for someone they may question you as you leave oh I see

[Music]

[Music]

[Applause]

[Music]

[Music]

[Applause]

[Music]

[Music]

[Music]

you mustn't cry he must be very brave

[Music] now you understand when I get to the top of the roof you come stand over here all right

[Music]

[Applause]

[Music]

[Applause]

[Music] when you search that have it open every door he must be here somewhere lieutenant there's a charms

[Music]

[Music] nothing at all but he's here he's got to be

[Music] mr. bristle watching the neighborhood until further notice

[Music]

Monsieur please have no fear I I have no wish to haunt me it's miss you're nothing how do you know me but you're not remember me you pull me out from under the car to remember and first of all first of all uh-huh first of all what are you doing here well I'm working here in the convent lets you you must have fallen out of the sky convent you're a man Monsieur they never let you in here how did you get in oh no matter my purpose now I used to stay here you must understand Monsieur the sisters can't afford to employ anybody else well I wouldn't want to be paid I do the work for nothing just to stay here with my little one of course I'll speak to the mother Prioress but I'm gonna tell her but tell her that you have a brother newly arrived and that you want him to help you with a look brother I'll do it

you are the brother he is mother what is your name you team first you are a gardener yes he is yet another are you a good Christian oh yes he is and this little girl is yours yes she is he answers well yes oh thank you reverend mother that would be all soon the child she will stay now with us

don't be frightened my child they'll take good care of you and I I'll never be far away

[Music] the transfer will be effective immediately the district of abuse massara I'd like to remind you we have not as yet apprehended the fugitive Jean Valjean he is still at large we do have other considerations here and foremost among them is the rate of crime in the beus but if we stop the search now he may slip through our fingers inspector I am ordering you to the district of abuse do you attempt to argue with me never sir you leave tomorrow morning Monsieur well what is it now I will never give up the search for Jean Valjean if it takes me the rest of my life I will find him and that is a sacred promise

[Music] sure Reverend Mother have you thought it over have you searched your heart I have but I have not changed my mind our education here is complete now and for that I am greatly indebted to you but I feel now that she has grown she has a right to know the life outside before announcing it

[Music]

[Applause]

[Music]

I tell you quite frankly Monsieur that she's a bright child and obviously quite comely we shall miss her very much I can well understand that and after all having taken care of it as you have I would like to offer a gift to the convent the son of five thousand francs Monsieur some that I am inherited please accept it from me with my gratitude I will see that Cosette gets her things ready down with the boar bones why do we need a king parasites down with the bull balls down with the monarchy destroy the restoration create a new government you join us today together we will lay our hand on the sword hilt of God and shout done with the boar bones down with the monarchy we can't do it only together can we bring these murderers to their needs we are advancing we should be victorious we shall not despair we who believe what can we fear we have brains the dream heads the talk freedom freedom to the king to the monarchy lawmakers at people

why why do the police want to arrest them look how's their revolutionary they want to destroy the monarchy monarchy bad well it doesn't listen to the poor if it never has but then commands to the French army to fight it is useless will he I mean will they come back to the park again I doubt it anything will stop them until they're k*lled you are now official agents of the government you will no longer wear police uniforms until the leaders of this insurrection are apprehended I want you to infiltrate every district question anyone who has a knowledge of these traitors find the ringleaders and bring them in they resist sh**t them on the spot inspector you will assign the district of defeat

[Music]

[Music] the park

[Music] the human race is rising the lowest strata will come out from all its distress we are advancing we shall be victorious we who believe what can we fear we have brains the dream heads the torque passions that burn souls that suffer and miseries that yell freedom freedom what are we we are all nameless men men of wretchedness and nothingness bare arms bare feet but every man who has in his soul a secret revolt against the forces of repression belongs to us we are lifted by the whirlwind which will make a cannonball of stone a general of a porter riot insurrection his name's Angela Wyatt and I'll be speaking for others but we have reasons so I say to you again today death to the king death to the monarchy long live the people what do we want an end of oppression the end of tyranny the end of the I want you to follow her and I find out where she lives how much do you give me I'll give you a swift kick little brat if you don't follow come along now

[Applause] do you want him taken in not yet the other one the young one daddy's name he lives alone perhaps if we question him regard from I'll be talking about

[Music] did you see a gentleman go by here with a pretty young lady Monsieur I do not speak to strangers I hope Chief Inspector shall there are the Katia moved on did you see them yes Monsieur just a moment ago where did they go up there to the end of the park

[Music]

father

I wait without please do not send me away I cannot live as I was I cannot go on without speaking to you I am your devoted servant

what is your name Marius I am cadet Mademoiselle you are paradise and I will never be the same again

[Music]

good morning father what a beautiful morning sit down cause it I have something to tell you but must you look so serious of that it's a serious matter well I'm afraid too we must leave Paris for a while leave why it's getting too dangerous for us the insurrection is growing every day but but surely it's nothing they'll be fighting in the streets it's not safe for us here where would we go London perhaps for a year you know I've always done what's best for us you can't dear god you can't there must be some way you could follow me I have no money Cosette you can't leave me now it's no choice I owe everything in the world I swear by all that is holy if you leave here now I will die

[Music]

[Applause]

excuse me sir your grandson is here yes yes will you receive him well what is it you want young man sir come to your senses at last have you come to ask my forgiveness I suppose no sir I I wish you to take pity on me sir pity you take sides with the scum of the streets against the government against the monarchy against your own family expect to receive pity from me I'm well if my presence here displeases you say no so that's what do you think is it but I have come to ask just one thing of you and then I shall go away at once be a fool boy who said anything about going away why don't you ask my forgiveness eh why don't you come here and embrace me now

you broke my heart you know sometimes I've been glad your father mother d*ed before you could break their hearts - well what is it you want of me speak up man I have come to ask your permission to marry Hey Oh so you have a profession have you learned to trade and earning your living I tutor in science as often as I can but no I don't have a weekly income indeed and I presume the young woman is wealthy no sir I shall need money oh you will will you twenty Louie for you and you can buy yourself a hat please why don't you leave the ridiculous life you're leading with this rabble and come back to us I beg you sir her father means to take her to England and I need just enough money to follow just enough money to go to England oh if only you knew how wonderful she is and how much I love her well if that's the case My dear boy why don't you make the silly girl your mistress

[Music]

[Applause]

[Music]

Marius why are you so unhappy doesn't she love you go away leave me alone you so unhappy that you can desert them now what what are you talking about they've started fighting they've built a barricade where on the roofs and Ernie wait I'll go with you

stay here

[Music]

[Applause]

[Music] what is your name we shut out the Chief Inspector of the Cartier mu star well visual inspector I have the honor of telling you that you will be sh*t two minutes before the barricade is taken or another it works you have to save our gunpowder your time will come as it will for all of us

[Music]

Debraj take this letter to 16 here in Italian it's urgent I know you want to stay and die with us but believe me little friend your death would save the Republic live to fight another ways go

[Music]

come in come in come in come in what is it I have a message for Cosette oh because that really well I'm her father you can give it to me but he told me only to give it to Cosette who who told you Marius Marius oh yes of course it's alright then here Marius wait

where is he now this marries on the rusyn Denis at the barricade they are fighting now I go back to join them you that's ridiculous long live the Republic

[Music] you can't make

[Music]

I'll k*ll you too

[Music] don't sh**t he's enormous

[Music] his name is Monsieur Madeleine don't sh**t about Roy

[Music]

[Applause] why why have you come here I came to take your place it's a fool's errand Monsieur I couldn't leave her now if I wanted to unless you surrender it's out of the question before we have to ask them as the protest of our corpses we shall do it but you must you have walked into a trap they've seen you join us you're one of us now

[Applause]

[Music]

I should have learned the scoundrel joins up with the fools how did you cut diamond troublesome spy you needn't be concerned that they will blow out my brains but is shortly and you were supposed to be certain to watch you are welcome to

[Music] how much longer can you hold by the next att*ck let me be the one to k*ll the spy as you wish but I will not rocking [ __ ] near ours take him to the montage shake on the barricades lower

[Applause]

[Music] well go on take your revenge I'm waiting

[Music] overnight of course that suits a country better turn around

you're free

[Music] begone

[Music] me I would sooner be k*lled I said be gone

[Applause]

[Music]

[Music]

[Music]

[Music]

[Music]

you must be here you must nothing you can see for yourself sir what about the roof collapsed in the last cannon fire and where where

[Music] each end

[Music]

[Music]

[Music] bring some torches

[Music]

[Music]

[Music]

[Music]

[Music]

[Music]

[Music]

[Applause]

[Music]

[Applause]

[Music]

[Applause]

[Music]

[Music]

you and you

[Music]

[Music]

hold

why did you let me go I had no choice choice once many years ago her mark of a man bought my soul he removed from it all evil thoughts and gave it to God there is no God there is only the law guilt and innocence do not exist outside the law if that is what you believe then you must k*ll me

k*ll me now

turn around

[Music]

[Music]

[Applause]

[Music]

[Music]

[Music]

[Music]

[Applause]

vomiting arteries it's outside

[Music]

thank you for coming I've been a fool sir we're all fools most of our lives it's unavoidable

[Music]

[Applause]

[Music]