01x13 - End of the Tunnel

Episode transcripts for the TV show "Prison Break". Aired: August 2005 to May 2017.*
Watch/Buy Amazon

Brothers Michael Scofield and Lincoln Burrows continue to evade the law.

01x13 - End of the Tunnel

Post by bunniefuu »

ACT 1.

Opening Scene.

(Abruzzi is on a gurney being rushed to an air ambulance. Camera remains on his half-closed eyes as he strains to remain conscious. Sara presses a towel against his neck to stem the bleeding.)

Sara: Stay with me, John. I need you to stay with me. Breathe. Keep breathing. You're gonna be okay. Keep breathing.

(Camera shows what Sara looks like from Abruzzi's point of view; her voice is echoey.)

Sara: Stay with me, John. You stay with me, John. You stay with me.

(Abruzzi's POV: Sara's echoey voice above him says "Keep breathing".)

Sara: All right? Can you do that? Keep breathing. You're gonna be okay. Stay with me. Almost there. Almost there.

CUT TO: The PI team (Michael, Sucre, Westmoreland and C-Note) come running out of the break room up to the fence, watching in shock.

(Abruzzi's POV: Sara: "...be okay...")

CUT TO: Sara, Katie and two COs carry the gurney to the air ambulance.

EMT (o/s): Large laceration to the throat.

Sara: He's lost a lot of blood. He's hypovolemic.

EMT: Got it.

EMT #2: What's his blood type?

Sara: A neg!

EMT #2: His blood pressure's too low. He's definitely hypovolemic. We gotta get him to Chicago.

Sara: Chicago's a 20 minute flight!

(Sara watches as they hook him up to monitors and bags of fluid.)

EMT #2: We gotta go, Doc.

(Sara steps back. The air ambulance takes off: Abruzzi is still conscious but barely. Inmates are watching the air ambulance.)

CUT TO: The PI crew by the fence. T-Bag joins them, peeing through the mesh.

T-Bag: And then there were six.

C-Note: Far as I know, there's five.

[1. INT. The SHU. Day.]

(Geary throws Lincoln into some racking, then onto the floor.)

Geary: Don't you ever step up to me like that again!

(Geary hits Lincoln with his baton, Lincoln yells in pain.)

CUT TO: Lincoln being dragged down a dimly lit corridor by two COs. He is put in a dark, isolated cell and locked behind a metal door.

[2. EXT. Prison yard. Day.]

(Warden Pope walks down the path in the yard, flanked by two COs. Michael comes up the fence to speak to him.)

Michael: Where's my brother?

Pope: He's in a lot of trouble, son.

Michael: You have to let me see him.

Pope: That's not a request I can grant at the moment.

(He starts to walk away.)

Michael: Please!

Pope: We're 36 hours away from his execution. He panicked. He got violent. For that reason, for the rest of his time at Fox River, we're gonna keep him in ADSEG, for his safety and everybody else's.

Michael: But I'm his brother. I deserve to see him. That's my right.

Pope: It's not your right to see him. Until tomorrow. At his execution.

(Michael has tears in his eyes.)

Pope: I'm sorry, son.

(He walks away. Michael grips the fence in agitation.)

OPENING CREDITS.

[3. EXT. Prison yard. Day.]

(Sucre is on the telephone.)

Sucre: The name is John Abruzzi. A-B-R-U-Z-Z...I don't care what protocol is. I just wanna know if he's okay. Hello? Hello?

(He hangs up.)

Sucre: Coño.

(He walks over to the others and shrugs.)

Sucre: The hospital won't give out any information.

T-Bag: Wonder what happened to that boy. Maybe them Mafia chickens came home to roost after all.

Michael: We gotta put this whole thing on hold.

C-Note: Whoa, easy, Fish. We're not puttin' nothin' on hold.

Michael: I don't think you heard me. Until I get my brother out of that hole, no-one's doing a damn thing.

C-Note: God bless Sink, but the man is gone. You go to the tombs, you don't get out, not until they strap you up.

Michael: If you think I'm gonna leave my brother behind, you have massively underestimated me.

C-Note: Really?

Michael: Really.

T-Bag: That ain't my fight. I'm through that hole, Pretty, with or without you, next time I'm on PI.

Michael: We're not having this debate.

T-Bag: We're not?

Michael (firmly): We're not having this debate!

T-Bag: We oughta open the floor to everyone else, huh? See what they all say.

C-Note: We got a clear sh*t, baby. Every day we don't use that hole is another day the screws can find it.

Michael: The way is not finished.

T-Bag: We're clear to the infirmary, that's all we need. Through that window, over that wire, over that wall.

Michael: The two of you will never make it.

C-Note: Oh, Fish, it's not just to.

(He nods at Westmoreland. Michael turns around.)

Westmoreland: If it's now or never, we gotta go. Go with us, Michael. You've done everything you could.

T-Bag: They're grown men, Michael. They can all decide for themselves.

Michael: You son of a...

(Michael grabs his jacket with both fists and shoves him against the fence. T-Bag holds his hands up, innocently. C-Note and Sucre hurry to pull them apart.)

C-Note: Hey, wait a minute, back up...

Geary (running over): Hey! Who are you separating there?

C-Note: Hey, it's good boss, it's good. We're just playin' around. It's all good.

(Geary walks away. C-Note walks over to the others, Michael is glaring at T-Bag.)

C-Note: You know what, there are two things that everybody needs to get with. First, hillbilly, you have got to learn some respect. The man here made everything possible. And you, Fish? You're gonna have to get with that we are doing this thing this afternoon, as soon as we get on PI.

(Michael chuckles ironically.)

Michael: So you're just gonna make a run for it. In the middle of the day.

C-Note: Well, you gotta do what you gotta do, huh, baby?

Michael: You are gonna screw this whole thing up.

C-Note (laughs): That's not for you to decide anymore. Now, this train is leaving the station, and I suggest you get on it.

T-Bag: Get on the train, Fish. Get on the train.

Michael: Well, you know what? You sons of b*tches? I won't let you do it.

T-Bag: What you gonna do? Blow the whistle on your own escape?

(Michael storms away.)

C-Note: He'll be back.

[4. INT. Lincoln's cell. Day.]

(In the darkness of his solitary cell, Lincoln lights a single match and stares at the flame.)

[5. INT. Michael's cell. Day.]

(Michael stands, head in hands, at the basin. Sucre sits on his bunk.)

Sucre: Those guys, they go before us tonight, they use that hole, it's over. COs will turn this whole place upside down till they find it.

Michael: Well, sounds like you're thinking about it.

Sucre: I'd be lying if I said I wasn't. I wanna be out of here yesterday. I got a kid coming, man.

(Michael picks up a rosary.)

Sucre: Michael, you can't get him out of there.

(He jumps down from the bunk.)

Sucre: Can I say something? I know you're not gonna wanna hear it, but they're strapping him up either way now. Once he's gone, you'll be stuck here for another five years. And if they trace that hole back to you, they'll toss another dime. That's fifteen years, papi. Of course, if I were you, I wouldn't leave my brother behind either. Not to die like that, no. Uh-uh. Worst thing in the world they can do to a man is strap him to a chair like that.

(He puts a hand on Michael's shoulder. Michael's eyes drift down to the inside of his bicep, and he runs his finger over the tattoo of a gravestone.)

(Camera sh*t of New Glarus Hospital - Day.)

[6. INT. Nick's hospital room. Day.]

(Nick hangs up the telephone.)

Nick: We're in business.

Veronica: What do you mean?

Nick: I just spoke to a friend of mine who's a clerk at the superior court. I told him about the informant, that you'd be seeing him at 8. If he gives us any evidence that will warrant a stay, my friend said he'll hear us out. We still might be able to stop this thing.

Veronica: I gotta tell Lincoln.

Nick: You go to that prison, they're gonna be all over you, you know that.

Veronica: They wanted to keep us on the run this entire time because if anybody hears from us, we can do them damage. Maybe it's time we do the exact opposite - go big.

Nick: What do you mean, "big"? You mean media big?

Veronica: We got all the a*mo we need. There's a string of murders a mile long connected to this thing, we expose that...

Nick: Are you ready to show your face again? Huh? Are you ready for that?

Veronica: It's the bottom of the ninth. What else are we gonna do?

[7. EXT. Prison yard. Day.]

(C-Note walks over to the yard phone, puts a cloth over the receiver and dials. A little girl picks up.)

Dede: Hello?

C-Note: Hey. This is Daddy, baby girl.

Dede: Daddy! (To her mom.) Daddy's on the phone! (to C-Note) How are the camels?

C-Note: Oh, well, the camels... (he glances over his shoulder) ...the camels are fine.

Dede: When do I get to see you?

C-Note: Earlier than I thought.

Dede (to her mom): Daddy said he's coming home soon!

C-Note: Hey, hey, put mommy on the phone.

(Dede hands the phone to Kacee Franklin.)

Kacee: Thanks sweetie. (To C-Note) First Sergeant Benjamin Miles Franklin, how are you?

C-Note: Oh, baby. Just driving trucks, eating dates, trying to keep the sand out of my eyes.

Kacee: I saw on the news the other day it was 110 in Kuwait. You must be melting over there.

C-Note: You have no idea.

Kacee: What's this I hear about you coming home soon? You're not getting your daughter's hopes up, are you?

(She picks up a postcard off the side: it's one from Iraq that C-Note acquired in the previous episode.)

C-Note: You sitting down?

Kacee: Sure.

C-Note: Your man is coming home this week.

Kacee: This week? What are you talking about? They said you were gonna be there for another year.

C-Note: Hey, the orders just came down the pipe. And the hell if I care where they came down from. The only thing that matters is that we're gonna get to see each other.

Kacee (excited): When? When is this happening?

C-Note: Thursday, Friday. I'm not sure yet.

Kacee: Oh my...do you...do you need me to pick you up from the airport?

C-Note: Oh, no. No, no. The army's got that all arranged. You know, you just be waiting for me.

Kacee: Well, you know I got that down.

(C-Note laughs.)

Inmate (behind C-Note): Today, C-Note.

(C-Note covers the receiver.)

C-Note: Would you back up? (to phone) Hey, hey, uh...you know, comm. is only letting me use this linkup for a few more minutes, so, uh...Is Darius there? I need to speak to him.

Kacee: Yeah, yeah, I'll go get him. I love you.

C-Note: I love you more.

Darius: Yo.

(C-Note takes the cloth off the receiver.)

C-Note: Yeah, what's up, money? Your sister out of the room?

Darius: She is now. So, how is it out there, man? Fox River all that they say it is?

C-Note: Oh, man, it ain't all that. Not for long anyway.

Darius: What do you mean by that?

C-Note: I need you to do something for me.

Darius: Yeah, all right.

C-Note: You still driving that Escalade?

Darius: Is Michael Jackson still white?

C-Note (laughs): You got jokes, son. How many does it hold?

[8. INT. Michael's cell. Day.]

(Michael leans on his cell door, thinking. Sucre is on his bunk, reading.)

Michael: Okay.

Sucre: Okay what?

Michael: Let's do it.

Sucre: What, you mean tonight? What about Linc?

Michael: I need a razor blade.

Sucre: Michael, a razor blade ain't gonna get him out.

Michael: Do you have one or not?

[9. INT. Michael's cell. Day.]

(Michael uses a lighter to sterilize a razor blade.

Sucre: Careful, bro.

(He rolls up his sleeve to reveal the gravestone tattoo again. He looks at the ceiling, takes a deep breath and presses the edge of the blade into his skin, cutting along a line drawn under the gravestone. Sucre winces.)

Sucre: Ay, Cristo amado.

(Michael rubs his finger over the cut, blood running over his hand. Finally a small bead-shaped object emerges from the incision. He pinches a small black pill between his bloody fingers and puts it in the palm of his hand.)

ACT 2.

[10. EXT. Outside Fox River. Day.]

(The anti-death penalty protests have started outside Fox River, and the press is there to cover it.)

Protestors: Thou shalt not k*ll! Thou shalt not k*ll! Thou shalt not k*ll!

[11.INT. Lincoln's cell. Day.]

(Lincoln is in his dark cell, he lights another match and prays quietly.)

Lincoln: ..."leadeth me beside the still waters, restoreth my soul. Leadeth me in the path of righteousness for Your sake"...

[12. INT. Michael's cell. Day.]

(Michael prays with Reverend Mailor, both kneeling beside his bunk. An open bible and the rosary beads are on the bunk.)

Michael/Reverend Mailor: Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For Thou art with me.

Michael: Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies.

Michael/Reverend Mailor: Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life.

Reverend Mailor: And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Amen.

Michael (very upset now): Amen.

Reverend Mailor: He does hear our prayers, the Lord...

Michael: Yes.

Reverend Mailor: ...on behalf of Lincoln. All who seek forgiveness will be delivered.

Reverend Mailor: If your brother accepts the Lord, he'll be free of this cage forever, it can't find him.

Reverend Mailor: I'll be available through this whole thing if you need me.

Michael: Reverend... (he picks up the rosary beads) ... Reverend, would you give this to my brother? It'd mean a lot to him knowing it came from me.

Reverend Mailor: I will.

(He leaves the cell. Sucre comes back in.)

Sucre: That was my mother's.

Michael: Tell her it's gonna save someone a lot of pain.

Sucre: You sure you know what you're doing?

Michael: It's in God's hands now.

[13. INT. Infirmary. Day.]

(Sara dresses the self-inflicted Kn*fe wound on Michael's arm.)

Michael: It feels like you've been the clean-up crew for me the whole time I've been in here. Toes, contusions, insulin sh*ts.

Sara: Well, somebody's gotta do it.

Michael: Well, I'm grateful. You ever think, in another life...

Sara: I won't be that woman, Michael.

Michael: I wasn't asking you to be. But it is something to wonder about. What if? Anyway. Just wanted to make sure it was said.

Sara: Why do I feel like you're saying goodbye to me?

Michael (smiles): I don't know. I guess in a place like this, you never know which day is gonna be your last.

(Sara looks at him. The door opens and Katie looks in.)

Katie: Sara, we got a backup out here.

Sara: Okay. You're set. I, um...I'm sorry about your brother.

(They gaze at each other for several seconds. Then Sara begins to walk away. Michael catches her arm.)

Michael: Doctor...

(He moves his hand down her arm until he is holding her hand.)

Michael: Thank you.

(He looks at her for a lingering moment, before walking out of the infirmary. Sara also leaves.)

(When the room is empty, a janitor walks in to refill some supplies and clean the counter. He walks to a garbage can located near the grate where Michael had been dumping corrosive chemicals. He takes the trash, eyes the grate briefly, then turns and leaves.)

[14. INT. Michael's cell. Day.]

(Michael checks his watch. It reads 3:59pm. Michael and Sucre are waiting for the cell door to open.)

Sucre: This is it, bro. Hey...

(He offers his hand, and they hug.)

Sucre: Good luck to both of us.

CUT TO: Bellick enters the wing.

Bellick: PI! Let's do it!

(A buzzer sounds and all the cell doors slide open.)

[15. EXT. Prison yard. Day.]

(The PI crew - Michael, Sucre, T-Bag, C-Note and Westmoreland walk across the grounds.)

T-Bag: Came to your senses did you?

(Michael ignores him.)

T-Bag: What, you figure some magic way to get your brother out of that hole and into the guards' room?

Michael (coldly): He's not gonna be there.

(The rest of the men share a look as they walk behind Michael.)

[16. INT. Lincoln's cell. Day.]

(The door to the cell slides open. He shields his eyes against the light.)

Reverend Mailor (to a CO): Could you put the light on? (to Lincoln) Are you okay?

Lincoln: What do you think, Rev?

(The CO shuts them both in the cell.)

Reverend: I spoke with your brother today. He's been praying for you.

Lincoln: He must be desperate.

Reverend: What about you? Are you feeling desperate?

Lincoln: No. Just for everyone else.

Reverend: The ones you leave behind.

Lincoln: The ones I never got to say goodbye to.

Reverend: I can be with you all day tomorrow, you know. Right up to the time.

Lincoln: Thank you.

Reverend: Oh, he wanted me to give this to you. Michael.

(He hands over the rosary. Then he knocks on the door to be let out. Lincoln stares at the cross.)

[17. EXT. Prison. Day.]

(The anti-death penalty protestors are still chanting 'Thou shalt not k*ll'.)

(Camera pans over the parking lot to an empty space. A car pulls up into it.)

(As Veronica gets out, the camera moves to another car. Agent Samantha Brinker is sitting inside, along with Agent Tangrin, who visited Lincoln before under the pretence of being a reporter.)

Brinker (to Kellerman, over cell phone): She's back in play.

CUT TO: Kellerman.

Kellerman: Good. Who's there with you?

Brinker: Tangrin.

Kellerman: What about Hale?

Brinker: Nope. MIA.

Kellerman: He's supposed to be there. What do you mean, MIA?

Brinker: I think it's a fairly concise term.

(Kellerman hangs up and immediately dials Hale's number.)

[18. INT. Hale's house. Day.]

(Hale's cell phone is on the table, ringing. Hale and his wife Allison are packing.)

Hale: Don't get it.

CUT TO: Kellerman, who hangs up, annoyed.

CUT TO: Hale's house.

Allison: What time's the flight?

Hale: 11. Speaking of which, I gotta head up to Wrigleyville. I'll be back in a couple hours to collect you. Make sure you pack everything. Once we're out that door, we're not coming back.

Allison: What are you gonna do?

Hale: There's a letter I gotta deliver.

(Camera pans down to the letter in Hale's hands.)

[19. EXT. Prison. Day.]

(The press are getting ready to report live from the prison. The protestors are still chanting. Veronica walks up to the news van.)

Reporter: Lady you're gonna have to step away, we're about to go live...

Veronica (to the Producer): Listen to me, my name is Veronica Donovan. I represent Lincoln Burrows.

Reporter: Great, but this isn't the time for it.

Producer: Ma'am, you're gonna have to step aside.

Angela West: I'm sorry, Miss Donovan? Did you say that you represent Lincoln Burrows?

Veronica: That's right.

Angela: Angela West. I'm a producer with News Six.

[20. INT. Lincoln's cell. Day.]

(Lincoln examines the cross closely. He turns it over and notices the back of the cross is loose. He picks it until the back comes off, revealing the small black pill and a tiny piece of paper. Lincoln picks it up to look at it. It reads: "EAT. 8.10.")

[21. INT. Break room. Day.]

(T-Bag is working on the drywall.)

T-Bag: So, Mr. Pied Piper, what's the play?

Michael: We do what we always do. Pretend to be working. Be model citizens, till the time comes.

T-Bag: And that'd be?

Michael: Nine 'o clock.

T-Bag: You seem to be forgetting the fact that PI shuts down at five 'o clock, Pretty.

Michael: Well, we have to make sure it doesn't, don't we?

[22. INT. Break room. Day.]

(Michael removes a piece of drywall, then rips out some insulation to reveal a water pipe. The rest of the team watch him.

Michael: Hammer.

(Michael grabs the sledge hammer from Sucre and swings at the pipe.)

C-Note: Whoa! What the hell are you doing, man?

(Michael ignores him and hits the pipe again. After a couple of good blows, the pipe splits and water sprays out, soaking the room as well as the team.)

[23. INT. Break room. Day.]

(Two COs stand over the soaking wet PI team, sitting on the floor. Camera pans over them: T-Bag, C-Note, Michael, Sucre, Westmoreland. Then Bellick comes storming in.)

Bellick: What the hell happened here?

Michael: Messed up. Hit a pipe. Should've k*lled the water before we started.

Bellick: Should've, huh?

Michael: It's not that big a deal, we can fix it in the morning. I don't think mould should be a problem before then.

Bellick: Mould?

C-Note: Scofield, shut up, man!

Bellick: No, you shut up. What are you talking about?

Michael: You get drywall and insulation soaked like this, you run the risk of stachybotrys mould.

C-Note: Boss, that's just like, one time in a thousand, for real.

Bellick: Tell you what. You and all your Compañeros here aren't stepping outside this door until every damn molecule of water is out of this place.

(The PI team mutter and moan.)

Sucre: Well, then it's gonna take all night.

Bellick: Well, then it's gonna take all night. Don't catch a sniffle.

(He walks out, and all the COs go with him. The PI team all smile and Westmoreland shakes Michael's hand.)

C-Note: Man!

(Michael sighs.)

[24. EXT. Prison. Day.]

Protestors: Free Burrows! Free Burrows! Free Burrows!

Angela (to the Producer): A lot of it checks out.

Producer: Put her on.

Angela: All right. (to Veronica) Miss Donovan, if you don't mind, we'd like to put you on.

Veronica: That's why I'm here.

Angela: Great. Holly here will be asking the questions, just watch his hand (indicating the producer). Okay?

(Veronica nods and stands next to Holly. The producer counts down on his fingers from three to zero.)

Holly: Evening, Peter. I'm with Veronica Donovan, the lawyer for Lincoln Burrows. You're petitioning for a stay, is that right?

Veronica: That's right.

Holly: On what grounds?

Veronica: On the grounds that my client's been framed.

CUT TO: Angela in the van.

Angela (in Holly's earpiece): Get specifics out of her.

Holly: Miss Donovan, do you have any proof to that effect?

Veronica: There's a whole string of proof. Murders - Leticia Barris, a potential exculpatory witness. Lisa Rix, the mother of Lincoln's child. Bishop McMorrow, the man who could have petitioned the Governor for clemency.

Holly: You're saying someone's k*lling these people off?

Veronica: I'm saying somebody's trying to hide what really happened, what the truth about Terrence Steadman really was.

Holly: Is this all just speculation, or is there hard evidence that can substantiate your claims?

Veronica: I have a source.

CUT TO: Angela: Get a name.

Holly: Could you elaborate on that?

Veronica: Not at this time. But somebody on the inside claims they can exonerate Lincoln. That Terrence Steadman wasn't even in the car that night.

[25. INT. Vice President Reynolds' office. Day.]

(Caroline has been watching the report on the television. She is composed but irritated.)

Caroline (darkly): Someone's been talking.

(Camera pans over to Kellerman, who is standing in front of her desk.)

[Camera pans over the prison.]

[26. INT. Prison. Day.]

(An electrician is examining the electric chair as Bellick and the Pope look on.)

Electrician: Is there a reason you're on direct current?

Bellick: Sorry?

Electrician: You know, AC/DC. Alternating current, direct current. DC's kinda yesterday's news for this sort of thing. You can k*ll a man with half the energy if you go AC.

(Bellick and the Pope don't know how to respond to that.)

Electrician: Okay. Let's see what we've got.

[27. INT. Lincoln's cell. Day.]

(Lincoln examines the pill under a feeble stream of light coming through a vent in the dark cell.)

[28. INT. Electric chair room. Day.]

Electrician: You ready to run one?

(A CO in the next room switches on the generator.)

[29. INT. Lincoln's cell. Day.]

(The lights in the prison flutter on and off, as electricity crackles. When they go back on, Lincoln closes his eyes, realizing the significance of that surge of energy.)

ACT 3.

[Camera pans over the prison. The inmates are out in the yard.]

[30. INT. Prison - ADSEG block. Day.]

(Two COs escort Veronica towards Lincoln's cell. One of them opens the door. Veronica looks down at Lincoln, sitting on the floor in the dark, and is horrified.)

Veronica: I think you'd better turn these lights on, officer.

C.O.: I can't do it, lady. Your client's being disciplined.

Veronica: You're violating my client's Eighth Amendment rights. Either you turn those lights on in the next five seconds, or you're gonna be the first defendant named in a lawsuit.

(The CO nods to the other, and the lights go on. Veronica enters the cell. The door closes behind her as Veronica hugs Lincoln tightly.)

Lincoln: You okay?

(Veronica nods.)

Lincoln: LJ?

Veronica: He's good. He's scared but he's good. I found someone who's gonna talk.

Lincoln: Who?

Veronica: I don't know, but he knows things. I'm gonna go and meet him in a few hours.

Lincoln: A few hours is cutting it close, V.

Veronica: We don't have any other choice. You have to have faith, okay? Nick's already primed the court to hear our case. Whatever Michael's doing, he doesn't need to do it now. We're gonna b*at this thing the right way.

Lincoln: What if you're wrong?

Veronica: I'm not.

Lincoln: What if you are?

Veronica: You gotta trust me, okay?

(They stare at each other, then Veronica leans in to kiss him.)

Veronica: Don't give up on me. Promise?

[31. INT. Hale's house. Day.]

(Allison brings suitcases out into the hall. She picks up her keys from the side, then opens the front door. Kellerman is standing there. Allison is very startled, and laughs nervously.)

Kellerman (smiling): Didn't mean to scare you.

Allison: Oh, it's all right. Paul, how are you?

Kellerman: I'm good. I'm good. You? (He glances down at her very pregnant belly.)

Allison: Oh (she laughs.)

(Kellerman looks around the room inside, noticing that nearly all the belongings are packed.)

Kellerman: Where you going?

Allison: Vacation. Bahamas.

Kellerman: Packing kinda heavily for the Bahamas.

Allison: You know women.

Kellerman: Yeah. So, um...(seriously now) Where's Danny?

Allison: Uh, running errands, I think.

Kellerman: Errands, huh?

(Allison nods.)

Kellerman: Where, uh...where might those errands be?

[Camera sh*t of the prison as the clouds in the sky move fast above it, quickly fading to night.]

[32. INT. Lincoln's cell. Night.]

(Lincoln sits by the vent in the feeble light.)

Lincoln: Louis, you there?

Louis (o/s): Yeah. Yeah, I'm here, Linc.

Louis: A little after 8.

(Lincoln looks at the pill in his hand, sighs and shifts himself to sitting position. He gently bangs his head against the wall.)

[33. INT. Break room. Night.]

(Michael is also gently banging his head against the wall. He is sitting next to Sucre, on the floor.)

Sucre: It's 8:15.

CUT TO: Lincoln, in his cell. He looks at the pill again, then quickly eats it.

CUT TO: Michael, in the break room, still banging his head.

Sucre: You okay?

Michael: No.

[34. INT. Lincoln's cell. Night.]

(Lincoln begins to convulse, fighting the urge to vomit. He grimaces and writhes in pain on the floor. Then he turns to the side and throws up.)

CUT TO: Michael, silent, in the break room.

CUT TO: Lincoln, groaning on the floor in pain.

Lincoln (through his teeth): Oh, Michael, what have you done to me?

[35. INT. Prison corridor. Night.]

(Three COs and a doctor rush Lincoln on a gurney down a hall. His face is contorted with pain.)

[36. INT. Break room. Night.]

(Michael looks at his watch. It turns from 8:59 to 9:00pm.)

C-Note: Nine 'o clock, Fish. Showtime. Let's go, man.

[37. INT. Infirmary. Night.]

Orderly: Tancredi leave yet?

Stolte: I don't think so.

Orderly: You'd better call her.

(Lincoln, still crippled with pain on the gurney, turns to his side and notices the grate in the corner.)

[38. INT. Break room. Night.]

(The PI crew pull back the carpet to reveal the hole. Westmoreland closes the door and jams it by putting a crowbar through the handle. The team stand around the hole, smiling, all looking at Michael.)

Michael: See you on the other side.

(Michael gets into the hole: The camera watches from the bottom of the hole, with the other men staring down at him.)

ACT 4.

[Camera pans over the prison - night.]

[39. INT. Infirmary. Night.]

Sara: Well, everything tells me it's food poisoning. Which means you should be feeling better in a couple of hours. But uh...I wish that I could say that this would be enough to forestall the execution. It's not gonna be.

Lincoln: It's all right.

Sara: I can stay with you if you want.

Lincoln: No. It's fine. Thank you.

Sara: Okay.

(She smiles gently and leaves the room. Lincoln looks over at the grate.)

[40. EXT. Alley. Night.]

(Veronica waits in a dark alley. Hale walks slowly up to her.)

Hale: We got a lot to talk about and not a lot of time to do it. Your boyfriend, he can still be saved. Burrows was chosen a long time ago. Hand-picked to be an assassin. But he never pulled the trigger.

Veronica: Who did? Come on. Who k*lled Terrence Steadman?

Hale: Nobody.

Veronica: What?

Hale: Terrence Steadman's still alive.

(Hale pulls out an envelope from his jacket.)

Hale: There's three sheets of paper inside. You'll find all the names you need are on them. Everyone that started this whole thing, from top to bottom. (He looks up, alert.) You need to take two steps that way. Right now.

(Veronica looks confused.)

Hale: Behind the car, get behind the car. You want to stay alive, do as I say. Now.

(Hale puts the envelope away. Veronica ducks behind the car, scared. A car comes down the alley, slowly.)

[41. INT. Prison pipes system. Night.]

(The team crawl through the pipe until they get to the pipe that slides into the vertical drain. Michael slides through first, then Sucre.)

T-Bag: Your boys better be there, rughead.

C-Note: They'll be there, Cletus. Don't you worry.

[42. EXT. Prison. Night.]

(Darius and his friend Spider get out of the SUV. They look up at the watch tower.)

Spider: This is crazy.

(Darius pops the hood of the SUV to make it look like they have broken down.)

[43. EXT. Alley. Night.]

(Kellerman gets out of his car. Hale watches him.)

Kellerman: So, uh...what are you doing here, Danny? Where's the lawyer?

Hale: I don't know what you're talking about.

Kellerman: Allison told me. I got it out of her.

Hale: You didn't touch her?

Kellerman: Why would I do that? Why would I do that? We're partners, right? We're on the same side. No. Allison's fine. She's just...well, I guess you're gonna have to ask yourself who you want to give up. Your wife, or this lawyer? Just tell me where she is. Is she here? Has she been? What exactly have you told -

Hale: Don't do this.

(Kellerman shrugs, resignedly.)

Kellerman: Give me your g*n.

Hale: I can't do that.

Kellerman: Yes, you can. I'm your superior. I give you a command. You obey it.

(Kellerman pulls out his own g*n and trains it on Hale.)

Kellerman: Give me your g*n.

(Hale raises his hands slightly, Kellerman leans forward and reaches into Hale's pocket, taking out the g*n. As he does, the envelope falls to the floor.)

Hale: Paul, it's nothing. It's not...

Kellerman: Don't. Back up!

(He picks up the envelope, keeping the g*n on Hale, and looks at the pages.)

Kellerman: It's...It's amazing. You got it all on only...three pages. You know what would happen if this fell into the wrong hands?

(Kellerman looks at the pages again, and his smile fades.)

Kellerman (upset): You named me? Right there along with the rest of them?

Hale: I got scared! That's all it was...

Kellerman (furious): You name me?! Danny?!

Hale: Please, man! Allison's due in one month!

(Silence. Kellerman doesn't lower his g*n. Hale has tears in his eyes.)

Hale: Paul, you and me, we-we've been friends since the academy.

(Kellerman shakes his head, consumed by this ultimate betrayal.)

Kellerman: You named me.

(He fires a single sh*t. Hale drops down to the floor, feet from Veronica who shudders in silence.)

[44. INT. Maintenance room. Night.]

(Michael comes up from the floor in the maintenance room, directly under the infirmary. He unties the end of the rope from the grate and ties it to a metal rack.)

Michael: Okay. Let's go!

[45. EXT. Prison. Night.]

(Steam rises from the open hood of the SUV's engine. Spider is nervous, and pulls out a g*n from his belt.)

Darius: Hey, hey, hey. Put that away, man. What you doing? Put that away, man!

(Two COs come round the corner, raising their flashlights.)

CO#1: Hey, Yoyos. This is a state penitentiary. You can't park here.

(Camera shows Spider's g*n, hidden behind his back.)

Darius: Oh, you think we meant to park here?

(CO#1 moves to look at the engine. CO#2 looks at Spider.)

CO#2: Put your hands where I can see 'em.

(Darius looks at Spider, panicked, and raises his hands.)

CO#2: I said put your hands where I can see' em!

(Spider slowly raises his hands as well. The g*n is gone.)

(Camera pans down to show its stashed in the waistband of his jeans.)

(The first CO reconnects the radiator hose that Darius sabotaged.)

CO#1: All fixed. What do you say you two hit the road?

(Neither Darius nor Spider moves.)

CO#1: You two hit the road right now, or we're gonna have a problem.

(Darius and Spider are forced to get back in the SUV and drive off.)

[46. INT. Maintenance room. Night.]

(Michael helps the other inmates up one by one.)

Michael (to Westmoreland): You all right?

Westmoreland: I'm good. Haven't been this good in years.

(Michael turns to look up at the grate and freezes in panic.)

[Camera pans up to show the grate is no longer accessible: a new pipe has been attached.]

(Michael stares in stunned disbelief. He climbs up a metal rack to inspect it.)

Michael: They replaced it!

[47. INT. Infirmary. Night.]

(Lincoln pulls out his IV line, and goes over to the grate.)

Lincoln: Michael?

CUT TO: Michael in the maintenance room.

Michael (to the others): He's there.

(Michael grips hold of the pipe and tries to pull it off the wall.)

Michael: Son of a bitch! He's there...he's there...

(Westmoreland grabs a piece of industrial pipe and hands it to him.)

Westmoreland: Here, Michael. Use this!

(T-Bag keeps watch at the door. Sucre, C-Note and Westmoreland move to help Michael.)

Michael: Come on. You ready?

CUT TO: Lincoln in the infirmary. He grabs a mop and pokes it down the grate.

CUT TO: Maintenance room.

T-Bag: Shhh!

(The inmates fall silent. They hear keys jingling in the corridor outside.)

CUT TO: A pair of feet walking down the corridor.

CUT TO: Maintenance room. The inmates stay stock still. Then T-Bag listens and gives them the nod.

Michael: Ready?

(He and Sucre pull on the pipe to try and get the large pipe off.)

CUT TO: Lincoln, hammering downwards with the handle of the mop.

(The inmates strain but the pipe won't budge. The industrial pipe comes away and drops on the floor with a clang.)

CUT TO: The corridor. The CO stops, having heard the pipe falling.

[48. INT. Maintenance room. Night.]

(Michael stares up at the pipe.)

Sucre: What? Talk to me.

Michael: It can't be done.

Sucre: What?

Michael: It's too thick. I'm so sorry. We're not getting out of here.

(T-Bag reaches down and pulls a shank out of his boot.)

T-Bag: Unfortunately, Pretty, that ain't an option.

(Michael rests his head on his hand, devastated.)

END CREDITS.