01x20 - Tonight

Episode transcripts for the TV show "Prison Break". Aired: August 2005 to May 2017.*
Watch/Buy Amazon

Brothers Michael Scofield and Lincoln Burrows continue to evade the law.

01x20 - Tonight

Post by bunniefuu »

ACT 1

Opening Scene.

(Continuing from the last episode, Bellick kneels over the hole in the break room, unable to believe what he's seeing. He's about to stand up when - WHAM - he's hit the face with a shovel. Westmoreland menacingly advances towards a stunned Bellick.)

Westmoreland: You know I can't let you leave here, boss.

(Westmoreland hits him again, before Bellick grabs the shovel and fights back, shoving Westmoreland against the lockers. He wrenches the shovel away and punches him twice in the stomach, then Bellick pushes Westmoreland onto a counter top. Westmoreland lands on top of a glass coffee pot which shatters on impact.)

(Bellick reaches for the shovel, rearing back for a vicious swing, but Westmoreland grabs a nearby metal thermos and smashes it against Bellick's head. Bellick is knocked backwards and unconscious.)

(Westmoreland looks down at himself and realizes he's bleeding: a huge shard of glass is wedged into his abdomen. He pulls it out, doing his best not to cry out in pain. He looks like he's about to collapse. He looks down at Bellick, beginning to panic.)

[1. EXT. Prison yard. Day.]

(Guards walk the fence line, being led by several German Shepherds. The escape crew linger together.)

T-Bag: Dogs. The numerous times I've been apprehended tryin' to allude the authorities, it's always because of the damn dogs.

(Westmoreland exits the break room, pushing a wheeled trash can. He pulls his jacket across him to cover the bleeding wound.)

T-Bag: Turns out you can run from just about everything in your life, 'cept your own particular stink.

C-Note: Yeah, well some of us stink more than others.

T-Bag: Tinto, you can smell like a bouquet of bonbons, but unless you get rid of your smell, you may as well send a note to the police with directions and some cab fare.

Abruzzi: Theodore's right, man.

Michael: We gotta scrub down our cells.

Sucre: What about our bunks?

T-Bag: Pillows, sheets, everything. Either get rid of your smell or change it.

(Camera sh*t of Westmoreland coming closer with the wheeled trash can.)

C-Note: Well, how much time we got?

Michael: John?

Abruzzi: Three days. That's as soon as I can get us into the guards' room for PI.

Michael (to Manche): You think you'll have the extra suits by then?

Manche: Probably. They should be here tomorrow.

C-Note: Good. So we're good to go.

Michael: All we got left is figuring out how to get through that door in the infirmary and how to get Linc out of that box.

Sucre: You can do that in three days?

Michael: Three days should be plenty of time.

(He turns to see Westmoreland has reached them.)

Westmoreland: We gotta get out of here. Now!

OPENING CREDITS

[2. EXT. Prison yard. Day.]

Westmoreland: I don't know how he found it. He just did.

Sucre: The hole's just sitting there?

Westmoreland: I covered it the best I could. But it's just a matter of time before someone discovers Bellick's missing.

Michael: What do you mean 'Bellick's missing'?

[3. INT. Break room. Day.]

(A CO makes a cup of coffee in the break room. There is so evidence of the earlier fight. Camera pans down beneath the table, through the ground to the pipe. In the pipe is Bellick - bound and gagged, and still unconscious.)

[4. EXT. Prison yard. Day.]

Sucre: Okay, okay, okay. Fox River is a big place. Maybe they won't notice for a while.

C-Note: Nothin' happens around here without Bellick's say-so. Somebody is gonna notice that he's missing.

Abruzzi: And when they do, they're gonna close this place down until they find him.

Sucre: What are we gonna do?

Michael: As soon as it gets dark, we go.

Sucre: Tonight?!

T-Bag: Pretty, we ain't ready to escape tonight.

Michael: Escape already started. It started the minute Bellick found that hole.

C-Note: It's gonna end the minute they figure out that he's missing.

Michael (angrily): Then stay! (He gazes at them all) I'll be sure to read the papers in the morning. See how many years you got when they realised which crew was working in that room and dug that hole.

(They all nod slightly, realizing he's right. There's no other way.)

C-Note: So what's the play, man?

Michael (to Abruzzi): Do you think you can have the plane ready by tonight?

Abruzzi: Sure.

Michael (to C-Note): You had kitchen duty, right?

C-Note: Yeah.

Michael: What'd you use to scrub down the floors?

C-Note: I dunno, I think it was peroxide or somethin' like that.

Michael: That'll work. Get as much as you can. I'll work on getting us that key to the infirmary. The rest of you find whatever you can to get rid of the scent in your cells.

Westmoreland: None of this happens if we can't get in the guards' room.

Michael: We're gonna leave after dinner during tier time when the gates are open. Seven 'o clock, one by one, through my cell.

C-Note: Whoa, whoa, whoa. Now we were supposed to go through the guards' room, that was gonna give us a head start. Hours before they even found out we were missing.

T-Bag: We leave through your cell, we ain't got no lead time. Seven 'clock, count's at 8 'o clock, that's only six...

Michael: Sixty minutes. Sixty minutes to get over that wall and as far away from here as possible.

Sucre: They'll be right on our asses!

C.O. (o/s): Quit your talkin' and start your walkin' ladies, yard time is over!

Michael: They already are.

[5. INT. A-wing block. Day.]

(The inmates file back to their cells.)

Guard: Come on, let's go. Hurry it up. Single file.

Sucre: You know there's one thing we didn't talk about out there. Your brother. I mean, he's under 24-hour surveillance. I'm just saying, if you can't get to him by tonight, we still have to go. You know that, right?

(Sucre goes into the cell. Michael looks across the tier, where he meets Tweener's eyes looking back at him.)

Guard (o/s): Lockin' down.

(The cell doors close. Michael stares over at Tweener, who is staring at him.)

[Camera sh*t of two guards walking by outside.]

[Camera sh*t of the watch tower.]

[6. INT. Lincoln's cell. Day.]

Lincoln: Hey, boss.

(A CO appears at the window.)

C.O.: What do you want?

Lincoln: My brother's in Gen Pop. He's got no clue I was in an accident.

C.O.: So?

Lincoln: Well, is there any way I can get a message to him?

C.O.: Yeah. Put it in your will.

[Camera sh*t of the Chicago rail way line - day.]

[7. INT. Nick's apartment. Day.]

(Veronica is on the phone.)

Veronica: And you're sure all those dots connect? Okay. Thank you.

(She hangs up.)

Nick: Who was that?

Veronica: A friend of mine at the title company. Handled a lot of my firm's business. She dug up an address for that phone number in Blackfoot.

Nick: Where is it?

Veronica: It's not the where that's interesting. It's the how. It turns out our little place in Montana was purchased for $2 million by an offshore holding corporation.

Nick: That's pretty standard for a transaction that size though, right?

Veronica: Sure. Only this holding corporation was bankrolled by a trust. A trust financed by the estate of Terrence Steadman. Looks like you and I are going to Blackfoot, Montana.

[8. INT. Prison pipes system. Day.]

(Bellick snaps back to consciousness and struggles, but he can't get free of his bonds. He cries out but the cries are muffled through the gag.)

[9. INT. Chow room. Day.]

(COs Stolte and Patterson are standing on duty. Behind them, Michael waits in line for his food.)

Stolte: You seen Bellick today?

Patterson: No. Why?

Stolte: Mack was asking. I guess he ain't showed up yet.

Patterson: He's probably just late.

Stolte: Bellick? I haven't b*at that guy to work in eight years.

(He looks over at Michael, who is lingering, trying to listen.)

Stolte: Scofield, this ain't Gibson's. Move.

(Michael moves forward. C-Note is behind him.)

C-Note: They already started askin' questions, man. We're not gonna make it out of here in seven hours without them findin' answers.

Michael: How are we coming with that peroxide? I'm gonna need it before we meet up for yard duty.

C-Note: Probably not till later. You wanna tell me what you need it for?

[10. INT. Chow room. Day.]

(T-Bag zig zags through the tables, looking around. He notices an inmate sitting alone and approaches him.)

T-Bag: Makkos, you gonna be eatin' them there Brussels sprouts?

Makkos: No.

T-Bag: You mind if I, uh...?

Makkos: Take 'em. They smell like crap.

T-Bag: Do they, now?

(He puts them in his pocket and moves away, past Tweener who is also sitting alone. Michael walks up to Tweener's table.)

Tweener (nervously): Wassup?

(Michael stares at him.)

Tweener: Yo, if you got somethin'...

Michael: Tonight.

Tweener (taken aback): What?

Michael: Change of plans.

Tweener: Why? Did somethin' happen?

Michael: Just find Sucre. He'll tell you what you need to do to be ready.

Tweener: But what about...

Michael: Tonight.

(He moves away. Tweener stares after him.)

[Camera sh*t of a large stately government building - day.]

[11. INT. Meeting room. Day.]

(Vice President Caroline Reynolds is in a meeting.)

Suit: What the hell's going on?

Caroline: The President changed his mind.

Suit#2: We were given assurances he would veto the Energy Bill.

Caroline: Assurances can tell you everything that a man is going to do until he wakes up in the morning and changes his mind.

Suit#2: Then change it back.

Caroline: I don't think you understand. The President...

Suit#3: Have you enjoyed our support?

Caroline: Yes.

Suit#3: Good. We certainly wouldn't want you to take it for granted.

Caroline: Are you threatening me?

Suit#3: Why? Do you feel threatened?

Suit: Caroline, we've all been through this before. The ebbs and flows of political conscience. But we found at the end of the day we get what we want. It's simply a matter of who helps us get it.

Suit#2: If you can't convince a doddering old fool finishing up his second term what the best thing is for this country's economy, perhaps you're not the kind of helper we're looking for.

(Caroline looks concerned.)

[12. INT. Infirmary. Day.]

(Sara comes into the room to find Michael waiting for her. She locks the door.)

Michael: Sara. I was thinking about something...

Sara: Enough, Michael. Enough with the lies, and the coincidences and the stories. All of it.

Michael: It's not what you think...

Sara: I know what you did. The question is are you man enough to admit it?

Michael: The keys.

Sara: Congratulations. Is it the first time you've been honest with me?

Michael: It's not...

Sara: The second? What are you after, Michael? Is it dr*gs? Is it needles?

Michael: Neither.

Sara: Then what?

Michael: Please understand that I never meant...I never wanted to involve you in this.

Sara: Well, you've done a pretty poor job of that.

Michael: I came here to tell you something. I'm getting my brother out of here. Tonight. And I need your help.

(Sara stares at him, shocked.)

ACT 2.

[13. INT. Infirmary. Day.]

Sara: Michael, honestly, for your own good don't say anything more.

Michael: You know he's innocent.

Sara: Do what you're talking about and he won't be.

Michael: But he'll still be alive.

Sara: You understand that I am required to report everything you're telling me?

Michael: Yes.

Sara: Then why would you?

Michael: Because you're the only one that can help. And because I know you want to be part of the solution.

Sara: Yeah, aiding and abetting is not part of the solution.

Michael: Neither is doing nothing, knowing what you know about his case.

Sara: How dare you put this on me? I did what I could. I gave my father the information...

Michael: No offence to your father, but the people framing Lincoln... let's just say they have a higher security clearance.

Sara: Now it's a conspiracy?

Michael: I didn't come here to have a debate.

Sara: You're asking me to break the law.

Michael: I'm asking you to make a mistake. Not hurt anyone. Not steal anything. Just...forget to lock up. Leave the door unlocked when you leave tonight. That's it. Please.

Sara: This is where you're breaking out of? This room?

Michael: There are alarm contacts in the glass surrounding the door. Otherwise, I wouldn't need you to...

Sara: I was part of your plan. Was it all an act?

Michael: At first. Yes. I needed to be here. But then I wanted to be here. With you.

Sara: Right.

Michael: And it's k*lling me to know that you'll never believe that. Whatever you may think of me, this is about Lincoln. Don't make him pay for my mistakes.

(Sara storms out of the room.)

[Camera sh*t of the Chicago streets - a train going down the tracks - day.]

[14. EXT. Chicago L Station. Day.]

(Maggio's cell phone rings. He answers it.)

Maggio: Yeah.

CUT TO: Abruzzi, in the prison yard.

Abruzzi: Hi, it's me. There's been an acceleration.

Maggio: How fast we talking about?

Abruzzi: Fast. Tonight.

Maggio: Son of a bitch!

Abruzzi: I think what you're trying to say is, 'No problem'?

Maggio: Yeah, of course. It'll be taken care of.

Abruzzi: Good. The van?

Maggio: Waiting on Fitz Street, 200 yards...

Abruzzi: Behind the old mill?

Maggio: Behind the old mill. I got it. One question, John: Don't you want a bigger plane? You only three seats. I thought you said there were seven or eight guys.

Abruzzi: Well, not everybody gonna have a ticket.

Maggio: You gonna tell me who is?

Abruzzi: The three of us still breathing.

[15. INT. Nick's apartment. Day.]

(Veronica rushes around packing, the apartment phone under her ear.)

Veronica: Whatever airport's closer to Blackfoot. Aisle, window, it doesn't matter, just get us on the next flight. Yeah, I'll hold...

(Nick's cell phone rings. He answers it.)

Nick: Hello?

CUT TO: Abruzzi in the yard.

Abruzzi: Change of plans. I'm gonna need you to have the girl at the airstrip tonight.

Nick: Tonight?!

Abruzzi: Was I not enunciating?

Nick: No, it's just that, uh...Look, things could get messy.

Abruzzi: So wear a smock.

(He hangs up. Nick also hangs up, not liking it.)

[16. EXT. Prison yard. Day.]

(The PI team are on yard duty. Michael looks over at the guards' room. The gates are closed and locked. Two COs enter the room.)

[17. INT. Prison pipes system. Day.]

(Bellick hears the break room door close. He struggles, and then hears voices.)

[18. INT. Guards' break room. Day.]

C.O. JJ: Patterson and Pope's secretary? Come on, man, like you wouldn't hit that.

C.O. Coco: I don't know. Vegas, 2am, maybe but...if she didn't have such a big booty.

C.O. JJ: Man, the booty is a man's biggest weakness. I know I would've hit it.

CUT TO: Bellick in the pipe. The COs continue their conversation. Bellick tries to cry out to them but they can't hear him.

[19. EXT. Prison yard. Day.]

Sucre (to Michael): You find a way into the infirmary yet?

Michael: I'm working on it.

(He watches the two COs exit the guards' room, open the gates and come through to the yard, locking them again. He checks his watch: it turns 2:17pm.)

[20. EXT. Prison yard. Day.]

(Tweener approaches Patterson.)

Tweener: Yo, have you seen Bellick today?

Patterson: Not yet.

(Westmoreland watches them.)

Tweener: I need to talk to him. You know if he went somewheres, or...?

Patterson: Do I look like his mother? The guy hasn't shown up yet.

Tweener: You sure he ain't showed yet? 'Cause, uh, I thought I saw him here this morning.

Westmoreland: Tweener! Need a hand over here.

Tweener: Yeah, I'm on it.

(Tweener walks over to Westmoreland, and notices he's hunched around his rake.)

Tweener: You a'ight?

Westmoreland: Fine. Just sore, that's all. You live to my age, you'll know all about it.

[21. EXT. Prison yard. Day.]

(Abruzzi picks up handfuls of fertilizer from a sack and puts them in his pockets. T-Bag walks by him, making eye contact. C-Note walks over to Michael.)

C-Note: You know you got a couple of foxes in your henhouse, right?

Michael: Who are we talking about?

C-Note: The bastard and the born-again.

Michael: They both want out of here. They'll behave till then.

(Camera shows Abruzzi and T-Bag keeping an eye on each other.)

C-Note: You think so? I just picked this off of T-Bag yesterday. (He furtively shows Michael the shank.) I would have been there ten seconds later, they'd have been serving Abruzzi with red sauce over at the morgue. I know you wanna be sh*t caller and everything, and that's cool, but you gotta handle things, man. Are you picking up what I'm putting down?

Michael: Yeah.

C-Note: Look, this is it, man. Ain't no do-overs this time. Can't be no complications. We break out tonight, or we ain't never gettin' out.

(He holds his hand out to Michael. Michael shakes it, taking the shank.)

[22. INT. Infirmary. Day.]

(Sara stares out the window. Nurse Katie enters.)

Katie: We got that paperwork in from the county. Sara?

Sara: Yeah. Sorry.

Katie: The paperwork from the county...

Sara: Right, I got it. Um, do me a favour, could you take care of that for me? I gotta get outta here.

Katie: Sure.

Sara: Thanks.

Katie: Where are you going?

Sara: Out.

[23. INT. Locker room. Day.]

(Westmoreland secretly changes the bandage on his wound, putting the bloody one in a locker. He walks round the other guys.)

Michael: Put your blues on over your PI gear.

Sucre: What?

Michael: Just do it.

Abruzzi: You wanna tell us why?

Michael: If we don't have time to get the suits we need we're gonna have to make 'em.

C-Note: Yo, what the hell are you doin', man? We got company.

(He gestures to Tweener, who looks nervous.)

Michael: It's okay. He's coming with us.

(The other inmates are stunned.)

Abruzzi: Whatever happened to 'We got too many people'?

Michael: When the plan changed so did the timing. We'll make sure we all get through.

T-Bag: Well, for health reasons, information like that should be disseminated a little more pronto.

C-Note: Nuh-uh, Fish. One more person means there's one more thing that can go wrong. He is not coming.

Michael: It's not up for discussion.

C-Note: The hell it ain't.

Michael: I owe him. I don't owe you a damn thing.

C-Note: You're gonna, if we get nailed 'cause you didn't wanna cut down on the damn guest list.

(The inmates glare at Tweener. Michael walks over and puts his hand on his back briefly.)

Michael (to Tweener): Don't worry, it'll be fine.

(Abruzzi stares at Michael. Michael meets his eyes.)

[24. EXT. Prison yard. Day.]

(The escape crew walk in single file: Tweener, T-Bag, Sucre, C-Note, Abruzzi, Michael and then Westmoreland. A CO officer calls to them.)

C.O.: Hey, hold up, cons.

(They stop, standing silent.)

C.O.: I saw some drops of blood on the floor of the PI locker room. Now, who's gonna tell me what's going on?

(Michael looks back at Westmoreland. Nobody says anything. The CO glares up and down the line. Michael thinks fast, and slices his thumb on the shank in his pocket.)

Michael: That'd be me, boss. I, uh...I did it while I was loading some equipment back into the shed.

C.O.: You make sure and get that patched up.

Michael: Will do.

C.O.: Okay. Move it.

(He joins Tweener at the front, and the others follow. Michael lingers to speak to Westmoreland.)

Michael: Are you okay?

Westmoreland: Okay enough to make it out of here tonight. I swear.

[Camera pans over Chicago - day.]

[25. INT. Sara's car. Day.]

(Sara mutters under her breath. Then she pulls out her cell phone and makes a call.)

Sara: Hey, Shelley, this is uh...it's me. Listen, I know I'm supposed to call you as my sponsor in case I have a, um...

(She looks across the street at an Irish bar.)

Sara: Um...

(She hangs up and gets out of the car.)

[Camera sh*t of Fox River Penitentiary entrance - day.]

[26. INT. Pope's office. Day.]

(Michael reaches underneath the model and takes out an L shaped support beam. He puts it in his pocket. Pope enters.)

Pope: Whoa! Right. I think we should break a bottle of champagne across its bow.

Michael: If you're intending to get this thing home for your anniversary tonight, I wouldn't recommend it.

Pope (laughs): No. Listen, I want you to know that I...well, I feel very fortunate to have met you.

Michael: Yeah. I guess not that many structural engineers make their way into Fox River.

Pope: No, no. I don't mean because of your vocation. I mean because you're a decent young man, and there are not many of those who make their way into Fox River.

Michael: Well, for what it's worth, there are a few down there.

Pope: Well, that's good to hear. Listen, I know this goes without saying, but, uh...if there's anything you need...well, let's just say that I owe you one.

Michael: Actually, there is one thing you can do for me.

[27. INT. Lincoln's cell. Day.]

(Lincoln, sitting on the floor chained to the wall, talks while Michael checks about Lincoln's cell anxiously trying to find a way out.)

Lincoln: So this whole thing, this whole time, it was never about me. It was about Dad. Can't believe it. Michael? Michael!

Michael: What?

Lincoln: Got something you wanna tell me? I just told you everything we knew about Dad was a lie and you barely blinked.

Michael: We have to go. Tonight.

Lincoln: What are you talking about?

Michael: Bellick found the hole, so either we go now, or it's over.

Lincoln: Michael...

Michael: Look, I know it's gonna be tight, but I can do this...

Lincoln: Michael, stop it.

Michael: The chains on your locks, they're, uh...

Lincoln: Michael. Michael!

Michael: I can do this!

Lincoln: Listen to me. Go. You gotta go.

Michael: Don't say that.

Lincoln: Look at me! You can't do this. There isn't enough time. If you stay here, they'll nail you and you'll rot in here. I'm not asking you, man, I'm telling you. Leave me behind. Go.

(Both brothers lapse into silence, Michael finally sitting still, knowing Lincoln may be right.)

[28. INT. Kitchen. Day.]

(C-Note ties bags of peroxide to his leg and pulls his trouser leg down on top of them. He opens another bag and pours peroxide into it.)

Trumpets: What the hell you think you're doing?

C-Note: Nothin', man.

Trumpets: You tryin' to run somethin' for those Wonder Breads you been runnin' around with?

C-Note: No, it ain't even like that.

Trumpets: Tell me somethin', boy. Is you steppin' or is you fetchin'? I thought I made myself clear when I said your punk ass was no longer in business.

C-Note: This ain't business, all right? This is personal.

Trumpets: What you got there anyway? Some kind of cleaner? What you tryin' to clean up...Sergeant Franklin?

(C-Note chucks the bag of peroxide all over Trumpets' face. C-Note punches him several times before shoving him to the floor and stomping on him. Finally, he spits on him and backs off.)

ACT 3.

[29. Bar in Chicago. Day.]

(Sara sits alone at the bar, her eyes trained on an untouched glass of scotch in front of her.)

TV: Breaking news: local implications in the race for the presidency. Political correspondent Nancy Lu has the details. Nancy?

Nancy (o/s, on TV): And rumours coming out of Vice President Reynolds camp detail a preliminary short list of running mates should she, as expected, win her party's nomination. Perhaps the biggest surprise is the inclusion of Illinois Governor Frank Tancredi.

(Sara snaps to attention, looking up at the TV.)

Nancy (on TV): His consideration is attributed to his reputation for being tough on crime and some point to his recent refusal to grant clemency to Lincoln Burrows, the m*rder*r of the Vice President's brother, which was welcomed with deep appreciation from within the Oval Office.

TV: Thanks, Nancy. In local news...

(Sara is thinking, adding things up. She gets up and walks away, leaving her glass untouched.)

[Camera pans over the A-Wing cells.]

[30. INT. A-Wing cell block. Day.]

(Stolte looks over the monitors in the guard shack outside A-Wing. The clock shows almost ten to four. He glances at the sign-in board: all the COs have an 'x' next to their name except for Bellick. Stolte looks worried.)

[31. INT. T-Bag's cell. Day.]

(T-Bag crushes the Brussels sprouts he acquired earlier and spreads them over his bedspread and pillow.)

[32. INT. Abruzzi's cell. Day.]

(Abruzzi kneels by his bottom bunk and spreads it with fertilizer.)

Cell Mate: What the hell are you doin', John?

Abruzzi: The Lord's work.

Cell Mate: The Lord wants you to spread horse crap all over your mattress?

Abruzzi: It's not our place to question His will. Are we clear?

[33. INT. Westmoreland's cell. Day.]

(Westmoreland scrubs a bar of soap over his cell walls.)

Guard (o/s): Hey, hey, hey, let's cut the noise.

(Westmoreland stops as the guard passes by his cell.)

[34. INT. Tweener's cell. Day.]

(Tweener stands by the cell door. Stolte appears in front of him carrying a package.)

Stolte: Open on 88!

(Stolte enters the cell and puts the package on the top bunk.)

Tweener: Yo, what's that?

Stolte: Avocado's gear. He's getting out of the infirmary tonight.

Tweener: Tonight?

Stolte: So you got plenty of time to bake him a cake. Hey, I heard you were asking Patterson about Bellick. Said you thought you saw him this morning?

(Tweener looks across the tier at Michael, who is standing by his cell door watching him.)

Tweener: Yeah, I was.

(He looks at Michael again and hesitates.)

Tweener: No, it was yesterday. That's when I saw him.

Stolte: Are you sure?

Tweener: Yeah. You know, time just sort of blends together up in here.

Stolte: All right. (He walks out.) Close on 88.

[35. INT. Michael's cell. Day.]

Sucre: What am I supposed to do with this?

(He holds up a bag of peroxide.)

Michael: Pour it in the toilet.

Sucre: You had C-Note steal some peroxide from the kitchen so we can clean the toilet?

Michael: We gotta get into Psych Ward tonight to access the pipes. A bunch of cons wearing their prison blues would stick out like a sore thumb. But the inmates in the Psych Ward all wear...

Sucre: White.

Michael: Peroxide acts as a bleach.

Sucre: Camouflage!

(Sucre stuffs the jumpsuits in the toilet. Michael stands holding the L shaped piece he stole from the Taj Mahal.)

Sucre: Just a few hours now. Looks like we got everything we need. Everything except your brother.

Michael: You worry about the suits. I'll worry about Linc.

[36. EXT. Street. Day.]

(The President shakes hands with several foreign dignitaries as Vice President Caroline Reynolds approaches.)

President: Would you give us a couple of minutes?

Aide: Of course Mr. President.

Caroline: You probably know why I'm here.

President: If I were a betting man, I have a pretty good idea where I'd lay my chips.

Caroline: The Energy Bill, Richard. Why did you change your mind? You've been saying for months it's so full of pork the damn thing's ready to squeal. And now, all of a sud...

President: Yes, the Bill is flawed, but it's better than doing nothing. Frankly, I find it a little curious that you're here telling me to veto a bill you voted in favour of.

Caroline: You're on the way out. Some of us need to think ahead.

President: Actually, I've been doing some thinking ahead as well, Caroline. Specifically about my endorsement.

Caroline: What?

President: I'm considering making a switch, and throwing my weight behind Senator Challis.

Caroline: You can't do that!

President: Can't I? Caroline, you are everything that's wrong with politics. You vote, not to legislate change, but to profit. You run, not to make a difference, but to make demands.

Caroline: You put me on your ticket, not because I share your views, but because I didn't share your gender. So don't take the moral high ground. We all know how this game is played.

(The President makes to walk away. Caroline hurries to stop him.)

Caroline: Richard, please, I...

President: Good day, Caroline.

Caroline: Richard. Richard...

[37. INT. Pope's office. Day.]

(Pope stands with CO Patterson and another CO.)

Patterson: You know what I got my wife for our anniversary? A scarf!

Pope: Well, this is a big one for me. I had to do something special. Okay, let's get this thing down to the car. We'll do it all together, on three. Ready? One...two...three...

(They all lift it, but the dome collapses inwards.)

Pope: Oh, no! Oh, no! Put it down, put it down, put it down. Ohh, all right, um, get Scofield up here, right away!

[38. INT. Michael's cell. Day.]

(Sucre checks the suits in the toilet.)

Sucre: It's working.

Michael: All right, get 'em out and get 'em dry. We gotta get 'em on under our clothes before tier time which is in...45 minutes.

Sucre: You think everyone else will be ready?

Michael: We don't have a choice. As soon as the gates open, we go. We're gonna need every second.

C.O. Mack Andrews (o/s): Open on 40.

(Sucre hurries to hide the suits by pulling down his pants and sitting on the toilet.)

Andrews: Scofield, Pope needs to see you, ASAP.

Sucre: Now?

Michael: What for?

Andrews: Your Bar Mitzvah. Let's go.

Sucre: It's 6:15, bro! You can't...

Andrews: Now.

(The COs escort Michael through the floor of A-Wing. C-Note, Abruzzi, T-Bag and Westmoreland watch him pass from their respective cells. Their apprehension is evident.)

T-Bag: Hey, Pretty...tick-tock.

[39. INT. Pipes system. Day.]

(Bellick is beginning to tire from struggling. When he finally relaxes he feels something behind him with his hands. Camera shows its a jagged bolt. Bellick rubs the restraining rope against it.)

[40. INT. Restaurant. Day.]

(Sara approaches a table full of well-dressed men and women. At the head of the table is her father, Governor Frank Tancredi.)

Frank: Excuse me a minute...

(He gets up and walks over to her.)

Frank: Sara. To what do I owe the pleasure?

Sara: I guess to congratulations. I can't believe I had to hear about it on the news.

Frank: Oh, the VP thing. Well, that's just talk.

Sara: Is it?

Frank: Yeah, what was it your mother used to say? "It's always nice to be invited to the dance even if you don't have the right shoes"?

Sara: Yeah, she also used to say, "Your father's a lying bastard", but I figured that was just the booze talking.

Frank: Yeah, it's always nice to see you, Sara. Is there something that you needed or did you just come by to...

Sara: Just tell me something. Did you...did you look at the information I gave you from Lincoln Burrows' attorneys?

Frank: Sweetheart, move on. The man's attorneys had a window to present new evidence. They didn't. Now that window is closed.

Sara: I just need to know, did you look at the information?

Frank: Come on, Sara.

Sara: Answer me!

Frank: I swear, working at Fox River has changed you. You're always saying you want to make a difference? At that place? It's too late. You should be a teacher, so that you can get to these people before they become...

Sara: Did you look at the information?

Frank: I didn't need to! I supported the findings of the court. Now, if you have a problem with the verdict, go after them. But before you do, I suggest you look at the guy's rap sheet. And ask yourself if the world will be a better place with Lincoln Burrows walking the streets.

Sara: Just tell me one thing. Did they promise you the vice-presidency before or after you signed his death warrant?

Frank: I will not discuss morality with an addict and a thief. You wanna talk reality, Sara? How many times did I use my influence keep you and one of your junkie boyfriends out of jail? How many? Was it three, four times?

(Sara starts to walk away.)

Frank: I swear, Sara, it's funny, you know? You have no trouble whatsoever with me bending the law, especially when it's bent in your direction. Grow up.

[41. INT. A-Wing cell block. Day.]

(COs Stolte and Patterson debate about Bellick; Abruzzi listens in from his cell.)

Patterson: You talk to that Tweener kid?

Stolte: Yeah, he says he got his days mixed up. But I dunno.

Patterson: What?

Stolte: Something about the way he said it.

Patterson: Oh, come on, man, if Bellick's just takin' a personal, I don't wanna get the guy busted.

Stolte: And if he's not? I'm just saying. It's 6:30 and no-one's heard from the guy. We gotta tell Pope.

Patterson: Okay. I'll tell him.

[42. INT. Nick's apartment. Day.]

(Veronica rushes around getting ready.)

Veronica: Did you call a cab for the airport?

Nick: No, not yet.

Veronica: Why not? Come on, the flight leaves in an hour!

Nick: Yeah, I, uh...I'm starting to think that us going to Montana might not be a good move.

Veronica: What are you talking about?

Nick: What if...what if you are right, and the smoking g*n is in that house? You think they're just gonna let us walk in there and make a citizen's arrest?

Veronica: Look, Nick, I don't know what your deal is lately, but I'm getting on that plane with or without you.

(Nick moves behind her and pulls out a g*n from his waistband.)

Nick: I can't let you do that.

(Veronica turns around to see Nick aiming the g*n at her.)

ACT 4.

[43. INT. Nick's apartment. Day.]

Veronica: All this time, you were one of them? Who's pulling your leash, Nick? Steadman? Kellerman? Look at me. I want you to remember my face when you do whatever the hell it is you're gonna do.

(Nick can't do that.)

Veronica: Look at me! You're a coward.

[Camera sh*t of the inmates walking outside to the yard.]

[44. INT. Outside Warden Pope's Office. Day.]

(Pope comes out of his office with Patterson.)

Becky: Oh, Scofield's outside, sir.

Pope: Okay. I want you to try every number we have for Brad Bellick. Try his home first. His mother usually answers.

(Michael watches nervously as Becky dials.)

Becky (on phone): Mrs Bellick? Hi. One moment please, I have Warden Pope here for you.

Pope (on phone): Mrs Bellick? No cause for alarm, no, no. We just...we haven't seen him, and we were wondering if he might be home under the weather.

(Michael fidgets with the L-shaped support piece anxiously.)

Pope (on phone): So Brad called you when he pulled in this morning? And he said he was here? Okay, well, uh, thank you, Mrs Bellick. We'll keep you posted. I'm sure he's fine.

(He hangs up and speaks to Becky.)

Pope: Radio Mack, have him check the parking lot for Bellick's truck. If he finds it, have him call me immediately.

(He beckons to Michael, sitting outside. Michael comes in.)

Becky (on radio): 457, this is Base. What's your 20?

[Camera sh*t of Fox River - exterior - sky turning darker.]

[45. INT. Michael's cell. Night.]

(Sucre looks down at a photograph of himself and Maricruz.)

Maricruz (v/o): I'm pregnant, Fernando. I'm gonna have your son.

[Flashback: In the visitation room.

Maricruz: All I know is, I'm really scared. I'm really scared to do this alone.

End Flashback.]

(Sucre strokes the photograph tenderly.)

[46. INT. Abruzzi's cell. Night.]

Reverend Mailor (v/o): John, it's never too late. If you agree to accept Christ into your heart and turn from your sin, He will forgive you and save you in eternity.

(Abruzzi takes off his cross necklace.)

[Flashback: Michael and Abruzzi in the yard.

Michael: I'll give you Fibonacci. When the time is time.

Abruzzi: The time is right now.

Michael: No, the time is right when you and I are both standing outside those walls.

End Flashback.]

(Abruzzi puts the necklace under his pillow.)

[47. INT. T-Bag's cell. Night.]

(T-Bag sits on his bunk and unfolds a napkin. Written on it is Susan Hollander's name and address.)

[Flashback: Visitation Room.

T-Bag: I'm gonna get out of here some day. And when I do, don't think I won't remember what your front steps look like.

(Susan spits on the glass and storms out.)

End Flashback.]

(T-Bag gets up off the bunk angrily.)

[48. INT. C-Note's cell. Night.]

(C-Note paces the floor.)

[Flashback:

C-Note: I'm being shipped back off.

(His young daughter Dede hugs him.)

End Flashback.]

(C-Note walks to his cell door. On the opposite tier, Trumpets and Trumpets' cell mate are staring back at him threateningly.)

[49. INT. Tweener's cell. Night.]

(Tweener stands by the cell door.)

[Flashback:

Avocado: How many times I gotta say it? You only got one thing I need.

(He drops the sheet across the cell door.)

End Flashback.]

(Tweener looks at Avocado's gear on the top bunk. He grabs his jumpsuit, stuffs it in the toilet and covers it with peroxide.)

[50. INT. Westmoreland's cell. Night.]

(Westmoreland looks at his daughter's picture in his gold pocket watch.)

Pope (v/o): I've got some bad news, Charles. Your daughter's got oesophageal cancer and she wants to see you while there's still time.

[Flashback:

C-Note: How long does she have?

Westmoreland: Hospital says a week.

End Flashback.]

(Westmoreland lifts up his sweatshirt, revealing a soaked bloody bandage. He takes it off and puts a new one on, fighting the urge to scream in pain.)

[51. INT. Lincoln's cell. Night.]

(Lincoln sits on the floor, handcuffed, and shackled to the wall.)

[Flashback: Lincoln remembers being strapped into the electric chair.]

[52. INT. Infirmary. Night.]

(Nurse Katie comes out of the room and locks it behind her.)

[53. EXT. Lake. Night.]

(Sara walks along the lakefront alone, thinking.)

Pope (v/o): I read somewhere where the actual Taj Mahal appears pink in the morning, milky white in the evening and golden when the moon shines. It changes, they say, to depict the different emotions of a woman.

[54. INT. Pope's office. Night.]

Pope: I can tell you something, if we don't get this thing fixed tonight, I don't wanna know what kind of emotion my wife is gonna have if I walk through that door empty-handed. It's strange, I mean, it just gave way. We lifted it up and then a support beam snapped.

(Michael puts the L shaped support beam down on the table.)

Pope: What's this?

Michael: The support. The one that holds up that beam.

Pope: You took it?

Michael: I'm sorry...but I needed to get back in here.

Pope: I...I don't understand, why would you...?

(Michael reaches out a hand: he's got the shank in it.)

Michael: I'm breaking out. And you're gonna make sure my brother goes with me.