01x05 - Homecoming

Episode transcripts for the TV show "High School Musical: The Musical: The Series". Aired: November 2019 to present.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

A group of students at East High stages a performance of "High School Musical.

01x05 - Homecoming

Post by bunniefuu »

"Previously on High School Musical The Musical: The Series"

"Well, it's official Nini and EJ are splitsville"

"But you were always there beside me"

"But I kind of missed it because I was dealing with my own drama"

Sweetheart, we've decided to legally separate I'm not stupid. I know couples don't magically get back together. Right?

"Five, six, even, eight..."

Were on the official countdown to opening night This is the moment when the creative team begins to give the show over to the cast which is strangely emotional, actually But Miss Jenn says That's a life in the arts Well, that and almost constant unemployment

Wait, I messed up! Sorry

Come on, dude, I'm just saying, this is your chance The last thing I'm going to do is ask Nini to Homecoming on the day of the dance But she's single and ready to mingle Yes! And I had to hear it from Ashlyn, who heard it from Seb I'm telling you, Nini hardcore friend-zoned me Then ask her as friends! We can all hang out together!

Like the good old days!

Nini, you've been in there for ten minutes Do I need to call the nurse?

Too big... to go down!

Top ten things I never want to hear in a public bathroom What are you do...

I am flushing my Homecoming dress down the toilet

Look, I know you're still mad at EJ but there are healthier ways to move on!

This is not mad This is empowered I'm done with boys who think they can control me and exes who can't even handle being friends. I am done with boys

Nini, you need help No. You know what I need?

Like-Like actually need?

A girl's night Didn't we do face masks and The Bachelorette last night?

No, I'm talking about like a, like a night on the town I miss my bestie So, it's like an anti-Homecoming Homecoming?

I'm down

I'm in

I believe a director's first job is to look out for the well-being of her cast I'm losing my leading lady's focus right when I need it most and I know just the place to put the pep back in Nini's performance

Dad I'm concerned. It smells like my bedroom in here Why aren't you at rehearsal? Why aren't you at work?

I'm... taking a mental health day This is your fifth one in a row That... That's like a mental health week

Ten more minutes, then I'll get up Hey Mom's not coming back this is the way it is now. Okay?

No It's not okay I don't like it either, but, I-I really can't look at you like this You need to, like, take a shower, rejoin civilization I don't exactly see you putting yourself out there post-breakup That, good sir, is where you're wrong because I am going to Homecoming tonight No kidding. With who?

Big Red, okay? I-I'm taking Big Red to his first ever dance

"Friend of the Year over here Give me a ribbon"

Forward. Throw it back

"Who needs a girlfriend when you got a best friend with two left feet?"

He's bringing the mints I'm bringing the moves Oh, boy We're in this together, okay? Think of it as a-a bro pact Does this mean I need to make a dating profile?

First, make your bed Baby steps, Dad. Baby steps!

I don't get it When I dance with you, it's easy But when I dance with Ryan, I've got two left feet You've just got to drill it, Seb I mean, I practice for like an hour every night in our barn My parents think I'm bonding with the livestock I-I need more practice dancing with someone who actually knows how to lead

Well, are you busy tonight? Tonight?

Yes. You know, Homecoming

You mean, like, you and I... dancing together?

In front of, like, all the non-theater kids?

As far as I know, that's how Homecoming works This would be my first time going

Text me a pic of what you're wearing

So, here we are! Tonight's on me, girls Okay, I am so into this, but do not expect Kourtney to bowl Yes, this manicure goes nowhere near a twenty-pound ball There was an incident Yes If only I had a back-up plan

Welcome to the most exclusive karaoke club in town

"I blame it on love, my baby"

Good for him Yes! Respect Just get ready Tonight, we are going to sit back and listen to some of Utah's worst vocalists Seriously?

Seriously. Look around These people?

They have half your talent and twice your confidence I am totally confident! A-Aren't I?

Way to have my back on girls' night, Kourt!

Look, I have been in your position In my biggest high school role, I quit the show before they could figure out that I didn't know what I was doing I thought I was a fraud But... you're amazing!

It takes time to step into the spotlight, Nini That's why we're here tonight Plus, I have a ten-year-old coupon for free sodas and nachos Settle in! Have fun!

"I blame it on love"

"I blame it on you and me"

I can't. I can't Next Last name is Caswell, first name is EJ. There should be two tickets Found it. Wait. When did you become "Nini"?

Good Lord!

There was a... last-minute cast change Whatever Looks like you're at table ten with the other theater kids Snap a photo on your way in Thank you Next!

Come on!

No way I didn't agree to photos Relax. It's all part of the plan Right, and what exactly is the plan?

All will be revealed Look, I agreed to take you here What else did I agree to?

Fewer questions, more nodding Say "cheese"

I don't believe this!

This dude steals my girlfriend and twelve seconds after they break up, he's already playing the field You could take a lesson from that, my man Gee, thanks for defending my mortal enemy The point is, you made a pact with your dad You're putting yourself out there again, right?

So, put yourself out there. Like, tonight Speak of the devil Get a load of this player He's texting me for fashion advice. Me!

Excuse us These seats taken?

Miss? Can I place an order? Sir? Anyone?

Pardon me. You're not... Karen, are you?

Who's asking?

Sorry, I'm just waiting for someone... named Karen At least, that's what she told me Isn't online dating the worst?

Hi. Can I get three ginger ales, heavy on the ice and an order of nachos, please?

Thank you Sorry, you were saying?

Actually, I was agreeing That online dating is the worst But, I promised my kid I would put myself out there Am I showing too much chest?

I think you look great

I'm Mike Hi. I'm... not Karen Now, that's a name you don't forget Thank you If you'll excuse me, I have to get back to my table Good luck, Mike

"I've got my own revolution"

I cannot believe this You're telling me She's wearing the lime green sweater What're you talking about?

She's wearing a bedazzled tablecloth And she's with EJ

Girl, I'm talking about Tonya Freeman Wait, what?

The senior who keeps k*lling all my costume ideas?

She's here And she's wearing the exact outfit I chose for Gabriella that she said would make you look like a Teletubby Are you going to say something to her?

No I will! I'll march up there and ask her where she got it Okay. Count backwards from ten Let's not ruin girls' night Kind of too late! EJ and Gina b*at Tonya to it I'm going to say something Nini! I'm serious Sodas are here, nachos on the way. What's up?

Sorry, Miss Jenn could we have a second?

Of course. I'll get napkins And earplugs

He'll show up, okay? Maybe he just hit traffic We live in Salt Lake City There hasn't been traffic since the two-thousand two Winter Olympics Don't assume Seb stood you up!

Okay, maybe he was just in a... farming accident Not helping Could you get me some punch, babe?

S-Sure, babe

Hey, n-not to intrude on date night but you can do better than EJ That guy that guy's bad news You're not exactly one to give relationship advice And when I want your opinion, I'll ask Well, I'm giving it anyway because I sorta thought you were classier than this But, hey, maybe you really are what people say you are And that is? Dude Just a little too ambitious for your own good... or anyone else's

You're back! Still no Karen? Thank you Actually there is no Karen I... I made her up just to talk to you Hold on. I can't decide if I'm offended or flattered Would you maybe want to bowl together sometime?

And, what is your name?

Real name or stage name?

Wait, you're an actor?

That explains the charm Have I, seen you in anything?

Do you remember that gum commercial a few years ago where the girl smiled and then her teeth turned into fireworks?

Are you serious? Of course!

Yes, I was down to the final two for that It went to the other girl. It's been a cold stretch, professionally Personally, too I can relate I'm Jennifer

Was this, like, a huge mistake?

What? Calling Gina out like that? Yes, that was mad harsh, dude You owe her an apology She showed up to the dance with my ex's ex. What's that about?

Maybe it's not actually about you at all Maybe people are allowed to go out with whoever they want to go out with and be whoever they want to be Sorry, I've been falling asleep to Dr. Phil lately Can we just get out of here?

Now? Dude, we're at Homecoming You should be finding eligible hunnies for me to dance with Hold that thought Drama, two o'clock EJ, just go with me on this, okay?

No, I don't just go with things You need to fill me in now

"What is wrong with you, EJ?"

"I'm just intimidated by how fly Big Red looks"

"in that suit he borrowed from Ricky"

"Don't be intimidated, be inspired"

"Big Red is an underrated style legend"

Dude. You're an idiot

Oh, my... Oh!

That's the plan!

There's no plan, okay?

I had a vague idea that Nini was going to be here with Kourtney see me with EJ, and then...

I don't know!

Just get so fed up with all the drama that she just quit the show or something

What can I get you?

Something wet?

Something wrong?

You think I'm actually going to confide in you?

I contain multitudes, Carlos He didn't show up. My date

It's my fault I'm the fool who thought he would actually dance in public with me Well, the night's not over

"I truly see..."

Look, we've all seen your moves You don't need a dance partner to dance

"What can I get you?"

Sorry, I don't, I don't do cash Could you send me a Venmo request?

Sure N-Need to borrow a buck?

You do not want to clap at me right now. I will clap back Wait, wait! I was actually going to apologize Okay, go ahead Oh, that... That was actually it. The apology Look, who you hang out with or don't hang out with isn't any of my business Then why are you making it your business?

Good question I-I don't know It's-It's like I am an outsider to the theater stuff, right?

And-And you're, like an outsider to East High I-I thought we sorta like, got each other I mean, we did until you came for me Yes, I-I'm sorry. My world's been a little upside down lately At home, too It's... It's a whole thing You're not the only one with home drama Well, I d... I didn't need to add to yours

Give me a ride and we'll call it even?

Sure, yes

Question. Why are you so good at sticking up for me but you can't do it for yourself?

Look, I didn't come here for a fight I came here to have fun And there's more than one way to be the bigger person

"And now, with a throwback one-hit wonder"

"please welcome to the stage, Nay-nay!"

It's pronounced "Nee-nee"!

No, it... It's... It's pronounced "No way"

You signed me up to sing? In the middle of our dual crisis?

Hey! Step away from the phone Come on, this used to be our jam back in the day I can't do it Why?

Because it just hit me The only reason I got the lead at school is because I played the lead at camp, and the only reason I got the lead at camp is because my boyfriend...

Ex-boyfriend Took out the girl who got the actual lead That part was never mine These past couple months this whole Nini two-point-oh thing, it's all built on a lie I'm a fraud Well, that sounds familiar

"Last call for Nay-Nay"

I can't do it Nini!

"Next" "Okay"

"Hey, that's it, girl. I don't know what to do with this"

Nice sweater

Where do you think you're going?

Not on that stage I'll tell you that much I don't get it What happened to the seventh-grade Nini who used to belt this song out in the backseat of my mom's minivan?

She grew up She met Ricky What?

Ever since you discovered boys, you've spent way too much time trying to see yourself through their eyes Come on! No, that is not true No, I... No All right, it might be a little bit true Okay You know what?

Miss Jenn's wrong. You didn't lose your confidence You just... You just forgot why you love to sing in the first place

Excuse me, can-can you start this song over again please?

What are you doing?

Practicing what I preach

"Don't need a king"

"I got my crown"

"Don't need a hero to lift me off the ground"

"I built this heart"

"It's b*ating loud"

"Won't let no bad blood ever bring us down"

"Keep flying" "Higher"

"Fight like a..." "Fighter"

"What if I'm everything that I will ever need"

"A queen messiah"

"A strong survivor"

"Even the worst days won't get the best of me"

"Because I was"

"Born to be brave"

"I know who I am inside"

"And I won't apologize"

"Made my mistakes"

"And they gave me wings to fly"

"To my castle in the sky"

"I used to feel like I was lost"

"It's like my phone's navigation was turned off"

"But it's the road I stumbled on"

"That led me right to the place where I belong"

"Keep flying higher"

"Fight like a fighter"

"Yes, I am everything that I was meant to be"

"A blazing fire"

"That's getting brighter"

"Don't need nobody here that don't believe in me"

"Cause I was..."

"Born to be brave"

"I know who I am inside"

"And I won't apologize"

I actually kind of feel bad for the guy

"Made my mistakes"

"Like castles in the sky"

"Let my hair down and let it go"

"No more running I run this show"

"From way up here yes the view is gold"

"Born to be brave"

"Now I'm standing miles high"

"Bosses and queens Stand up on your throne"

"Know who you are This is your kingdom"

"Legends at heart Individuals"

"Go make your mark Be original!"

"Because I was..."

"Born to be brave"

"I know who I am inside"

"And I won't apologize"

"Made my mistakes"

"To my castle in the sky"

"Let my hair down and let it go"

"No more running I run this show"

"From way up here yes the view is gold"

"Because I was"

"Born to be brave"

"Now I'm standing miles high"

I mean, that was amazing

It's great to be in love on Looks like I missed a lot The dance started three hours ago We lost one of our cows You could have texted We have bad reception at the barn I-I'm really sorry about being so late

I'm really sorry about your cow Hey. At least our ties match

"On valentine's day"

"On valentine's day"

There you are!

I've been texting you, but then I realized your phone was right here Wait. Hold on, did you upgrade your makeup in the bathroom?

Because you are serving ageless glow What? Stop Miss Jenn. Did you meet someone in the bowling alley?

I...

You did!

It was a momentary flirtation He offered to give me a ride home But trust me, men come and go, but girlfriends are forever So, this is where I live Ta-da. Let me guess you pictured a wrought iron gate and a bunch of gargoyles?

Kind of. No, you're not that scary I kind of owe you a thank you, actually For what?

You're the reason I stayed with the show That night at the skate park?

You set me straight and...

It's been a big deal for me The T-Troy thing Well, it suits you I still don't know all the theater terms I don't know It's just nice to have somewhere to go after school every day you know?

I know Believe me Yes

"Yes, we're going to Bop bop bop, bop to the top"

"Slip and slide and ride that rhythm"

"Bop bop bop..."

Well, girls, did we get what we came for?

No Not really What?

But, I think I got something even better Well, you know what they say Karaoke works in mysterious ways You, we should do this next year instead of senior prom Oh, my gosh. That would be so cool. Oh my gosh, yes I'm not down for, like, big parties Me either And everybody thinks that's... I don't know I don't know either, but...

"Miss Jenn, please come to my office before the opening bell"

"first thing Monday morning"

"I've gotten some..."

"information that I would like to discuss with you face-to-face"

Miss Jenn, is everything okay?

Never better Let's call it a night Okay Hey, before you head inside what was that big blow-up all about with you and your, date?

I already forgot about it And I don't do dates, by the way It's hard enough to make friends Try moving five schools in seven years How's that working out for you?

I should probably...

Yes. Yes

You know, I... I meant what I said At the skate park. About you having your own style I don't even think I knew how much I meant it when I said it Good night, Ricky