04x20 - Promicide

Episode transcripts for the TV show, "Dawson's Creek". Aired: January 1998 to May 2003.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

Four friends in a small coastal town help each other cope with adolescence.

04x20 - Promicide

Post by bunniefuu »

#420 - Promicide

[Joey's Room - Bessie is making some final adjustments on Joey's dress, while Pacey lays on Joey's bed watching.]

Bessie: (with pins in her mouth, mumbling) Oh, Joey, you wook wadiant.

Joey: (confused) What?

Pacey: I believe she said, "oh, Joey, you look radiant." And I could not agree more with your wise assessment, Bess. Joey Potter, you do look absolutely radiant.

Joey: I don't look radiant. I look silly.

Pacey: That's ridiculous, Jo. I'm not even gonna dignify that comment with a response.

Joey: Pacey, the prom? What are we, like, in high school?

Pacey: Yeah. We are in high school last time I checked.

Joey: Not to mention I don't have the best track record for these events. I mean, need I remind you, of the debacle that was last year's anti-prom?

Bessie: (mumbling) Oh, God, I forgot to pick up Alexander.

Pacey: Oh, my god. She forgot to pick up Alexander.

Bessie: Pacey, you finish.

Pacey: Ok. (he takes the scissors and Bessie rushes out.) Ok.

Joey: So...you like my dress?

Pacey: Well, I believe I already used the word radiant.

Joey: Well, actually, 'cause I kind of figured that the dress really isn't the part that the guys care about. It's really the after-prom when the dress comes off.

Pacey: Speaking of prom, I need for you to go and pick up the prom tickets.

Joey: I thought you were gonna pick up the prom tickets.

Pacey: Well, I tried to pick up the prom tickets, but my poor academic standing has put me on "the do not sell to" list.

Joey: Did you remember the limo?

Pacey: Yeah. Yeah, I remembered the limo. I told you I'm gonna take care of everything.

Joey: Well, Pacey, you don't have to take care of everything yourself. I mean, I can handle some of the preparations.

Pacey: I want to. Ok? I want to take care of everything. I want to make this perfect for you.

Joey: Sweetheart... you don't have to make this perfect.

Pacey: Well, that's sweet of you to say, but I'd like to try anyway, if that's all the same to you. And speaking of, I really should kind of get on my way. But I love you, Jo. And... You deserve to have the most amazing senior prom that anyone has ever had, and that is exactly what I'm gonna give you, ok? So, from here on out, smooth sailing, I promise. (he turns to leave, but decides to pull one more string off Joey's dress. We hear a rip. Pacey grimaces and Joey tries to look over her shoulder.) Damn.

[Jen's Room - Jen sits on her bed, Jack is on the edge, and Tobey stands talking to them.]

Tobey: It was unbelievable. So there I am. 15 years old. I'm at this girl's senior prom, and I've just confessed to her that I'm gay. And what does she do in response? She sticks her tongue all the way down my throat! It gets worse. She takes my hand, and she sticks it on her crotch, and she says, "you may think you're gay now, honey, but give me an hour, and I'll rock your world!"

Jack: No way! That's crazy!

Tobey: Tell me about it. Hey, but don't let my horror story fool you. I'm sure you guys will have a great time at your prom. I gotta go. I got a doctor's appointment.

Jack: Oh, yeah.

Tobey: Final one after the incident. Bye, Jen.

Jen: Bye, sweetie.

Tobey: Good luck findin' a dress. And, uh, you can keep the magazines. (grabbing one of the magazines off the bed) Ooh--I'm doin' the cosmo sex quiz, though. Jack, give me a call.

Jack: See ya later.

Tobey: And, uh, I want to hear all about the prom-related details.

Jack: You got it. Bye.

Tobey: See ya later.

Jen: Bye-bye! (Tobey walks out of the room and Jen closes the door.)

Jack: That is too funny. Heh. (Jen gives him a smile) Don't even say it.

Jen: I didn't say a thing.

Jack: You don't have to. I know what you're thinking, and the answer is "no, I am not asking Tobey to the prom."

Jen: Why the hell not? Jack, you guys are getting along really well, and it seems like you have fun together. Plus, he obviously wants you to ask him. I mean, every other word out of his mouth is "prom."

Jack: Do you remember last year? Remember with Ethan? All the controversy-- crazy Barbara johns, the whole anti-prom thing?

Jen: Jack, nobody cares. Just take the boy to prom.

Jack: You know what I think? I think you're tryin' to get out of this whole prom thing altogether. That's what this is really all about. Now, just pick a dress, j!

Jen: Could you not change the subject? Jack, I can go stag. It's fine.

Jack: We're both aware of Tobey's more-than-platonic feelings. Now, if I ask him to go to the prom, it's like I'm leading him on!

Jen: Jack, all I'm say--

Jack: I don't want to hear it. Jen, drop it! That's it!

Jen: Ah-- but that's--

Jack: That's it! Stop! Shh! No-- pick a dress.

[Clothing Store - The scene switches between Gretchen and Jen are trying on dresses with Joey and Dawson and Jack trying on their tuxes.]

Gretchen: Do you think this one's too tight?

Jen: No, you look perfect. I, on the other hand, look like a big, stupid freak.

Gretchen: Uh, yeah, in what universe?

Joey: She's right. You look... luminous!

Jen: Like a big, luminous freak.

Jack: We are gonna look great.

Dawson: As long as Gretchen thinks so.

Jack: Oh, speaking of which, did you get the corsage?

Dawson: Pacey said he'd pick up mine when he picked up Joey's.

Jack: Limo?

Dawson: Pacey.

Jack: I guess we got everything covered then.

Gretchen: You know, I'm the only one here with a right to feel like a freak. My senior prom was last century. You know, when you think about it, it's actually kind of depressing.

Joey: You don't seem all that depressed.

Gretchen: You know, because I'm not. I-I'm up for that kick-ass job in Boston, which is super exciting, and I feel like the prom will be this fun trip down memory lane on the arm of a guy I'm totally into. What's there to be depressed about?

Jack: Actually, uh, there is one more tradition that I almost forgot about.

Dawson: What's that?

Jack: Come on, don't make me say it. Are you or are you not gonna fulfill the long-standing teenage tradition of after-prom sex?

Dawson: I decline to respond to that line of questioning.

Joey: How are you, miss Lindley? Seems to me that ever since we got back from New York, you seemed a little...

Jen: horribly messed up?

Joey: I was gonna say sad.

Jen: Mmm--I'm sad. And horribly messed up and...You know, terrified of the future and haunted by the past, but other than that, I feel really good about things.

Jack: All I'm sayin' is if you were gonna do it on prom night, just...you know, be careful, man. That's all.

Dawson: I appreciate your concern, but if we were planning on following through in any traditions, I've got my emotional bases covered.

Jack: Ah. Good to know.

Dawson: But I admit to nothing.

Joey: So why don't I feel perfect?

Jen: In the words of my former therapist, "why don't you tell me?"

Joey: Hmm, well, I'm terrified of the future, for one thing. And a couple of weeks ago, I had a little bit of a scare. But that's not even it. I don't know. Maybe it's Pacey. You know what, Jen, it just doesn't seem like he's too eager to... to touch me.

Jen: I'm sure he's just waiting for you to come to him.

Joey: You think? Yeah, it makes sense. I mean, he probably is just waiting.

Jen: Yeah.

Joey: Jen, what if he's not waiting for me?

[Capeside - Gretchen is coming out of a store and Dawson approaches her.]

Gretchen: Hey!

Dawson: I was just thinkin' about you. Hence my ear-to-ear grin.

Gretchen: I didn't get that job in Boston.

Dawson: What? What happened?

Gretchen: The woman from the magazine-- she just paged me, and I called her back. She said that she loved me and that I was perfect for it, but that I didn't have a college degree or the necessary experience.

Dawson: Oh, god, that sucks. I'm sorry.

Gretchen: I really thought I had it. I don't know what I'm gonna do.

Dawson: If you want to skip this whole prom thing, I totally understand.

Gretchen: No. No, Dawson, come on. This is--this is your milestone, not mine. And you deserve to have it be a wonderful and memorable experience. And that's what it's gonna be.

Dawson: Are you sure?

Gretchen: Yes. Yes, it's fine. It's more than fine. It's gonna kick ass. I promise.

[Phone - Jen and Tobey are on the phone talking, Jen at her house, Tobey at his.]

Jen: I'm telling you, Tobey, he desperately wants to ask you. He's--he's just too embarrassed, you know. He's got a really irrational fear of rejection.

Tobey: Mmm, I don't know, Jen. I-it just didn't seem like Jack wanted to ask me to prom.

Jen: Would I make this up? Look, he...is a seething quagmire of neuroses. You--you real-- you just--you don't even want to know. I mean, how somebody so good-looking could be so insecure, it's...beyond me. But I assure you, he really wants you to go to prom with him. He told me so. The guy begged me to come over here and ask you, so just--just call him and say yes. Hmm?

[Joey's Room - Pacey and Joey sit on the bed studying. Joey keeps giving looks at Pacey like she wants to get busy. Pacey keeps his nose in his book.]

Joey: You want to know what? Nobody's home. Bessie, Bodie, Alexander--all gone. And there are no guests here. So, basically, that means we have the whole place to ourselves.

Pacey: (still reading) Mm-hmm. (Joey moves in to kiss him, but just before their lips touch,) Are you thirsty?

Joey: No, I'm not thirsty. (she goes to kiss him again, but Pacey moves quickly and kisses her cheek.) Try again. (trying again to kiss him)

Pacey: You know what I could go for? Turkey sandwich on rye bread. You want one?

Joey: (disappointed) No, thank you.

Pacey: (getting up from the bed) Ok. Well, I'll be right back.

[Phone - Jen is at her house when Jack calls from his.]

Jen: (answering the phone) Hello.

Jack: Hello there.

Jen: Uh--Jack, ok. Um, listen, you cannot be mad at me, because I want you to remember a little relationship called me and Henry which you completely orchestrated against my will, not to mention the whole college application thing.

Jack: I'm not mad, Jen.

Jen: You're not?

Jack: No. Now, I'll admit I was a little... surprised when I emphatically stated my strong desire not to go to the prom with Tobey, to have him then call me up and say, "Jen told me everything, and my answer's yes, Jack. I would love to go to the prom with you." Now, yes, I'll admit, I was slightly... peeved. But then I remembered what you said-- that you would go to the prom anyway, even if I brought Tobey.

Jen: Yeah, of course I'm still going to the prom.

Jack: So you promise and solemnly swear, no matter what.

Jen: (confused) Yes, I promise and solemnly swear.

Jack: No matter what?

Jen: (a little nervous) Jack, what are you talking about?

Jack: Oh, nothin'. It's just that, uh, well, I realized... (looking at his watch) why get mad when you can get even? (the doorbell rings at Jen's house. She moves to it and answers the door. Drue is standing outside.)

Drue: Jack told me everything, and my answer is yes. Jen, I'd love to go to the prom with you. (Jen looks scared and just closes the door on him.)

[Dawson's Front Yard - Dawson walks out of the house where Gale, Mitch and Lillian are waiting. He is dressed for the prom.]

Gale: Oh, my god. Look at my little boy.

Mitch: Looks like a man to me.

Gale: Oh, I think I'm gonna cry. Oh, here, let's get one with Dawson and Lily.

Mitch: Good. (he hands Dawson Lily) Here you go.

Gale: Oh, honey, you are the spitting image of your father. Do you realize that?

Mitch: Much more handsome. Ah.

Gale: I cannot believe this is our baby boy's senior prom.

Dawson: (to Lily) Pay no attention to them, Lily. I know they seem like they're a little strange sometimes, but they're actually very good parents. Just a little emotional.

Joey: (walking up) Hey, everyone.

Dawson: Joey.

Gale: Oh, Joey, honey. You are breathtaking. Here, let me get one of the two of you.

Mitch: I'll take lily. Yeah, there you go. Whoa, thanks. There's my girl.

Dawson: All right. My mom's right. You look breathtaking.

Joey: Thank you. So do you.

Dawson: Well, thank you.

Gale: Smile. Maybe one more. Happy, happy.

Mitch: (Lily starts to cry) Uh-oh. Uh-oh. All right, easy there. Honey, shh. (Gale and Mitch tend to the baby so Dawson and Joey turn to talk)

Joey: So--

Dawson: You know--

Joey: Go ahead.

Dawson: I was just gonna say, given everything that's happened in the 12 months since last year's prom, I'm just really glad we ended up here.

Joey: Me, too.

Dawson: God, we're so healthy, it just makes me wanna puke.

Joey: Yeah. It is quite sickening, right?

Mitch: Hi guys!

Gale: Hello, you two!

Dawson: (to Gretchen) Hey.

Joey: (to Pacey) Hey.

Gretchen: (to Dawson) Hey.

Dawson: You look beautiful.

Gretchen: Thank you.

Dawson: Come here.

Gretchen: You're lookin' pretty handsome yourself.

Dawson: So, uh...how you doin'? Better?

Gretchen: Much.

Gale: Ok, um, let me see. How about we do the ceremonial pinning of the corsage?

Pacey: Ready?

Dawson: All right.

Joey: Pace, when did you pick those up?

Pacey: I got these yesterday.

Gretchen: Pace, you were supposed to refrigerate them.

Pacey: Well, nobody told me that.

Dawson: You know what? That is not a big deal at all. Mom, can we pick some new ones from your garden? (Dawson follows his mom.)

Gale: Great idea. I'll go get my shears.

Dawson: Just tell me you didn't forget the limo.

Pacey: Of course I didn't forget the limo.

Mitch: Joey, here. Why don't you take Lily, and we'll get a picture of you and Gretchen. (Gretchen and Joey fawn over Lily. Pacey starts to walk away.)

Joey: Pacey, where are you going?

Pacey: I'll be right back.

Drue: Hey, everyone. Happy prom. (everyone looks at Drue like he's an alien) You're all probably wondering what I'm doing here. Well, I'm here to meet my date, of course-- the one and only Jen Lindley. Oh, cool. A baby. Can I hold it?

Everyone: No!

[Tobey's House - Jack nervously walks up the steps and knocks on the door. Tobey answers it and he looks very nice. No glasses, either. Jack just stands there in shock with his mouth hanging open.]

Tobey: Hey, Jack. You look good. We should probably be going. My parents are hiding upstairs. They're not too keen on this whole "prom date with a boy" thing. You'd think they would have loosened up and gotten a clue by now, but... what are you gonna do? Are you all right? (Jack nods) Ok, 'cause we can't leave unless you stop blocking the door.

Jack: Right. Sorry.

Tobey: It's ok.

[Dawson's House - Jen has arrived and goes over to greet everyone.]

Dawson: Hey.

Joey: Hey.

Gretchen: Hi. Look at you, gorgeous.

Jen: (hugging them) Thank you. Look at you. (to Dawson) Hi, handsome.

Drue: Darling, you're a vision.

Jen: (making a face, then noticing Jack and Tobey have arrived) Excuse me. (going over to them.)

Drue: (yelling after her) You're adorable when you're angry.

Jen: This has gone too far.

Jack: Oh, well, it must be stopped, then, before it destroys us all. (Jack and Tobey laugh)

Jen: Ha ha ha.

Joey: Look, don't come crying to me just 'cause you chose not to think of the consequences of a certain action before you went and performed said action.

Jen: Well, excuse me, but I don't think that the punishment fit the crime.

Jack: Oh, I think it did.

Jen: Well, I think that my revenge on your revenge is imminent, so there.

Tobey: What are you guys talking about?

Jen: Nothing.

Jack: Nothing.

Tobey: Oh.

Jack: Don't worry about Drue, Jen. You can hang out with Tobey and I all night. We'll help you avoid him.

Jen: Great, 'cause I really plan on having fun tonight.

Jack: Good. So do I.

Jen: Good. So do I.

Tobey: So do I.

Jack and Jen: Good.

Jen: Excuse me.

[Dawson's House - Pacey is standing off by himself when Joey approaches.]

Joey: Pace?

Pacey: Hey.

Joey: Wanna help me with my corsage?

Pacey: Sure. Yeah. That dress looks fantastic, Joey. You can't even tell where I ripped it.

Joey: It wasn't your fault.

Pacey: Well... tonight's gonna be good. I promise.

Joey: I know.

Gale: (from off) Hey, kids, I think the limo's here.

Pacey: Ok. That's us. (they gather around and we can hear a car approaching. It sounds like a clunker and even backfires. They finally show this white ugly t*nk with this scroungy chauffer. Everyone kinda makes a face and pretends to not be upset.)

Mitch: Ok.
[Liquor Store - The g*ng make a pit stop.]

Drue: (walking up to Gretchen with two cases of alcohol) Oh. Hello.

Gretchen: How exactly do you plan on purchasing that?

Drue: Well, your advanced age is about to come in handy, dear.

Gretchen: Oh, sorry, but I don't plan on being responsible for unleashing a drunk Drue onto the prom. Better luck next time.

Tobey: (seeing those Hostess pink Snowballs) Ooh. All right, don't think me a total freak for what I'm about to do, but-- (grabbing a package)

Jack: Dude, I love those.

Tobey: Are you serious? Nobody loves these.

Jack: I do.

Tobey: You know what this means?

Jack: Yeah. We both enjoy somewhat unpopular snack foods.

Tobey: No. We got more in common than you think.

[Limo - Jen and Pacey sit inside. Jen pulls a tiny bottle of vodka out of her purse and offers some to Pacey.]

Pacey: No, thank you. I have to take a breathalyzer later. (Jen laughs) It's part of a ridiculous "tough love" ploy by deputy Doug and my dear old father.

Jen: Well, all the much better for me. I've only got 10 left.

Pacey: Oh. You wouldn't be drowning your sorrows because of a certain unwanted prom date, would you?

Jen: Oh, god, no. Drue's the least of my worries.

Pacey: You know what I don't understand?

Jen: Hmm?

Pacey: How these guys can be so happy and carefree. I mean, who knows what the future holds, but I do know that it doesn't hold what they expect it to.

[Liquor Store - Dawson grabs a box of condoms quickly off the rack and starts to move when Joey bumps into him.]

Joey: Oh! (Dawson drops the box)

Dawson: Hey. Sorry.

Joey: (Joey picks up the box and hands it to Dawson.) Here. (As Dawson takes it, she realizes what it is) Oh.

Dawson: (shyly) Thanks.

Jack: (calling across the store) Guys. We gotta go if we're gonna catch the boat.

[Prom Boat - Everyone jumps out of the limo and rushes on board. Later on the boat, Gretchen scans the dance floor with Dawson.]

Gretchen: Oh, my god.

Dawson: Well, not only am I here with an older woman, but I've got the most beautiful date in the whole room.

Gretchen: Well, your charm is a perfect antidote for the complete wave of weirdness that just crashed over me.

Dawson: Oh, you know what, if it makes you feel any better, nobody really notices anybody else at these things anyway. They're all so caught up in their own melodramas.

Gretchen: It doesn't really make me feel any better.

Dawson: Well, in that case, if anybody asks, you can just tell them you're chaperoning.

Gretchen: Ok. I don't know whether to hit you or to kiss you for that comment.

Dawson: Let's work our way up to the kinky stuff.

Jen: Ok, if you keep following me around, you're gonna lose a testicle.

Drue: Oh, come on, now, Jenny penny.

Jen: Drue, why are you doing this? You can't possibly be enjoying yourself.

Drue: No, but Jack offered me 50 bucks to follow you around all night, so I plan on getting paid in full. (kisses Jen on the cheek) I'm gonna go get some punch, honey.

[Prom - Jack and Tobey sit at a table talking.]

Jack: Yeah, and then there was--there was Ethan. I mean, this guy was so good-looking. You know, he was like-- he was like one of those Disney character versions of a human, you know, like the prince from snow white or something.

Tobey: Tell me about it. The first guy to break my heart, he looked just like Ted Danson. (Jack snickers) Is that funny?

Jack: Ted Danson, huh?

Tobey: Yeah, he's a handsome man.

Jack: Yeah, yeah, what is he, like, 50 now?

Tobey: Y-y-you know what? I mean a young Ted Danson.

Jack: Ok, becker.

[Prom - Joey pulls Pacey up a stair case to another level of the boat that isn't as crowded.]

Pacey: Hey, where are you taking me? (Joey sits him down and leans down and starts kissing him.) What's that for, Jo?

Joey: I don't know. I guess I just got caught up in the moment. And, uh... now that that's out of the way... you can tell me what's going on.

Pacey: A prom.

Joey: I'm serious.

Pacey: Uh, well, look, I absolutely would tell you if something was actually bothering me, but I hate to disappoint you, Jo. There's nothing bothering me.

Joey: Come on.

Pacey: What? I just told you. Everything's great. So, what's the problem?

Joey: Pacey, that is the problem. The "everything's great" is the problem. I mean, ever since you got back from that fishing trip or whatever it was, it's like you've been walking around like the Stepford boyfriend or something. You know, talking about how everything's perfect and that's the problem.

Pacey: Ok, fine, look... it's not me, but the way I understand it, this is your time to be happy. All right, Jo? This is your time to be out there and have fun. So I'm just trying to be who you want me to be.

Joey: But I don't want you to be anything but yourself.

Pacey: Oh, come on, you want the perfect corsage, and you want the perfect limo, and you want the perfect dress, and you want the perfect prom, and you want the perfect boyfriend--

Joey: That is so untrue, Pacey. Did I say anything about the limo or the corsage or anything else? No. 'Cause that stuff doesn't matter to me, Pacey. You know that.

Pacey: Well, then why don't you just tell me how you want me to act? 'Cause I can't win with you, Jo. If I act like I'm unhappy, you get angry with me. But if I act like I'm happy, you get angry with me.

Joey: Well, maybe you should stop acting and just talk to me.

Pacey: Maybe I just don't have anything left to say. (Pacey walks away)

[Prom - Jen and Drue are on the top deck. Jen is very drunk.]

Jen: (giggling and throwing her arms up) I'm the queen of the world.

Drue: Yeah. Wow, are you ever drunk.

Jen: And how.

Drue: I think you've had enough of that. Now, why don't you give me the bottle? (she gives it to him) That was easy. (she pulls another bottle out of her purse. They both laugh.) You're a riot, you know that? You know, though, if you're not a little more careful with your public intoxication, you're gonna get caught.

Jen: Oh, please. Like you don't want me to get caught. Like you don't just live for other people's misery. (she climbs up on the railing.)

Drue: Not yours.

Jen: (losing her balance a little, Drue reaches for her, but she catches herself.) Whoa! I'm fine.

Drue: Jen, seriously, what's the matter?

Jen: Drue, seriously, you don't care.

Drue: Pretend I do. Why don't you tell me?

Jen: Did you know I went to go and visit my dad a few weeks ago? (looking overboard) I wish I could jump in there... and disappear. That'd feel good.

Drue: Jen? Jen, maybe this isn't the best idea--

Jen: Drue, go to hell.

Drue: Jen, come on. This isn't funny.

Jen: (getting mad) Seriously, back off. (she starts laughing) Gotcha.

Drue: Yeah.

[Prom - Dawson and Gretchen sit at a table laughing. Dawson looks over and see Joey alone walking over towards the bar. Gretchen sees where he's looking.]

Gretchen: Maybe you should go over there. See if she's ok.

Dawson: Maybe we should go over there.

Gretchen: You know what? I think I'm gonna go get some fresh air. But why don't you go talk to her?

Dawson: Ok.

Gretchen: Ok. (she walks off. Dawson goes to Joey.)

Dawson: Where's Pacey?

Joey: Uh...I don't know.

Dawson: Do you want to talk about it?

Joey: Mmm, I don't think so.

Dawson: Ok.

Joey: And that whole mini-mart thing. I--I don't really want to talk about that either.

Dawson: That's fine with me.

Joey: How long have you guys been--

Dawson: We haven't... yet. I mean, you know, we might tonight for the first time.

Joey: You in love with her?

Dawson: All I know is that it just... it just feels right.

Joey: You know what? I know that this may sound weird, but if you're gonna cross a milestone in your life... I'm glad it's with Gretchen.

Dawson: If not you. Don't worry. That wasn't a question.

Joey: I know.

Dawson: You know, I think for the longest time, I was just waiting to find somebody I loved as much as I loved you. I realize that's not gonna happen, you know. You were my first love.

Joey: I don't think I'll ever love anyone the way that I loved you, either. And that's a good and a bad thing.

Dawson: You want to dance?

Joey: It's our senior prom.

Dawson: Heh heh. Come on. (they walk off towards the dance floor.)

[Prom - Gretchen is standing looking over the deck when Pacey approaches. She's sipping out of a bottle, what looks to be a wine cooler.]

Pacey: Where did you get that?

Gretchen: Some drunk football guy. You want some?

Pacey: No. I think I'll pass. You want to tell me what's wrong? 'Cause I know it has to be big if you're drinking that.

Gretchen: I'm at the prom, Pacey. I'm at the prom again. I mean, I graduated 4 years ago, and I'm still here. You know, tonight, for the first time... I didn't just feel older than Dawson... I felt old. I mean, too old to be here. Too old to be doing what I'm doing.

Pacey: You want pathetic? How's this for pathetic? I'm technically still a junior. I'm not even supposed to be here.

Gretchen: A brother who's too young and a sister who's too old. We're quite the lot there, Pacey.

Pacey: And you want to know what the worst thing about a prom boat is? You're trapped.

Gretchen: Yup.

Pacey: You know what? It's the strangest thing, but ever since I got back from that trip with Doug, I've been feeling... really angry. But not angry at myself. It's actually worse than that. I've been feeling really angry at Joey. And I don't know why I'm angry at Joey. And that makes me feel guilty, and then the guiltier that I feel, the angrier I get, and I still don't know what to do about it.

Gretchen: Well, maybe if you, um... maybe if you try talking to her, you can start to figure out a reason.

Pacey: Uh... I don't really know how to start talking.

Gretchen: That's the great thing about being trapped. You gotta try.

[Prom - Jack and Tobey are still talking at their table.]

Jack: I never knew you were so funny.

Tobey: I guess there's a lot about me you didn't know.

Jack: I guess so. Heh heh.

Tobey: So, do you want to dance?

Jack: I thought we were having a good time.

Tobey: Right.

Jack: Right. So, why do you always have to ruin everything by misinterpreting it?

Tobey: Jack, I--I--I just asked you to dance. I didn't ask you to have sex with me on the table.

Jack: It doesn't matter, Tobey. I mean, how many times do I have to tell you that this is strictly platonic before you're gonna believe me?

Tobey: You know what? I don't buy that. Nothing that has happened tonight has been platonic. Not from the way we've been laughing or flirting, and certainly not the way you looked at me when you came to pick me up tonight.

Jack: You're wrong.

Tobey: No... I'm not. Look, I don't know what you're afraid of, but it's not me. And I suggest you figure it out, or risk losing a chance at something really good someday.

[Prom - Dance floor. Pacey goes to find Joey and he sees her dancing with Dawson, laughing and having a good time. Gretchen joins him and also gets a serious look on her face. Joey finally notices Pacey and she stops dancing. She gets a serious look on her face and Dawson looks over his shoulder and see them approaching.]

Pacey: What's going on?

Joey: Pacey, we were just dancing.

Pacey: Yeah, that's what it looked like to me, just dancing.

Joey: Oh, come on. This isn't about Dawson, and you know it. Pacey, why don't you just tell me what is going on?

Pacey: You know what I actually realized when I saw the two of you dancing there together? That is the happiest I have seen you all night. I mean, I think it's actually the happiest I've seen you in weeks. You want to know what's worse than that? I don't care. I saw the two of you dancing together, and I just don't care. I'm not angry. I'm not jealous. I'm not upset. I'm really not much of anything.

Joey: Pacey, fine. Let's just take this nothing outside.

Pacey: Why--why because you want to clean up my mess again? No. You wanted me to take off the happy mask, and the happy mask is off. So answer me this one question because this is what I've been wanting to ask you, Jo. Why are you with me?

Joey: Pacey.

Pacey: Why are you with me? Because I don't know why I'm still with you. I mean, I used to know, but I don't anymore.

Joey: I'll make a note of that.

Pacey: What I do know, Jo, I feel like I'm Josephine potter's little charity project. I feel like I'm the designated loser, the fail (Dawson starts to move in) --just back off!

Joey: Pacey, I never said that, but this isn't about me. This is about you.

Pacey: No, it is about you! It's about you and how you make me feel when I'm with you! Ok? I feel like I'm stupid and I'm worthless and I'm never right. But you know what I realize? That it's not my fault! That it's not my fault. Because I'm with you, it's poor Pacey. He didn't get into college, and it's stupid Pacey forgot the limo and ripped the dress and messed up the corsage.

Joey: I told you I didn't care about any of that.

Pacey: But I want you to care! I want you to care! I don't want you to just accept it like that's the way it's supposed to be. We are not trapped on this boat. You and I are trapped in this relationship. I can't take it anymore, Joey. When I'm with you, I feel like I'm nothing. I feel like I'm nothing. That's why I flinch when you come to touch me. It's why I never touch you. Why I never even think about it. Because when I start to, it just reminds me that I'm not good enough.

Joey: You done?

Pacey: Done? Oh, no, I'm not done. I am just getting started.

Joey: Well, you can stop right now. You can go to hell. (Joey walks out and Dawson follows her.)

[Prom - Jen and Drue are still out on the railing.]

Drue: Jen, just come on down, and we'll get you a great big bottle of tequila. What do you say? Yeah. Jen, you know how cold this water is? We're talking about snot icicles dripping from your nose, ok? Come on.

Jen: I said no, Drue. (she loses her balance and starts to fall completely off the boat. Drue catches her handing body and pulls her back over onto the deck. Jen immediately gets up and leans over the railing to throw up.)

[Prom - upper deck. Joey is crying. Dawson walks up behind her and covers her shoulders with his coat.]

Joey: He humiliates me in a room full of people, and it's not even true. It's not who I am.

Dawson: I know.

Joey: I mean, I don't understand why he would say all that because that's not who I am.

Dawson: I know.

Joey: I just want to go home. (she leans against Dawson and continues to cry.)

[Prom - Deck. Drue and Jen sit on the floor.]

Drue: You've become a lightweight. You gotta get back to New York. It can toughen you up again.

Jen: What if I told you I don't want to go back to New York? That I hate New York. I don't know. I just-- I feel like I've--I've changed, and I've just been too afraid to admit it, and I've been pushing myself so hard this year to toughen up so that I can go back to school there next year, but, um, I don't-- I don't think I really want to. God, you think I'm weak, don't you?

Drue: You know what I think? I think you should never go backwards when you can go forwards. Anyway, Jen... you're pretty damn strong. Besides, you know... I was kind of thinking you should look into Boston. It's a real up-and-coming town, the spot to be in, in fact, and, you know, yours truly's going to be there. So right there, you know--

Jen: Strike one for Boston.

Drue: Yeah.

[Prom - Deck. Tobey is standing out on the deck when Jack sees him through the door. He goes out to join him.]

Jack: Hey. Whatcha doing?

Tobey: Contemplating swimming for shore.

Jack: I don't blame you. Look, Tobey, I'm sorry about earlier... what I said. What I didn't say. The feelings that I've been having for you are so much more than platonic, and they took me by surprise, and I was afraid. The thing is when we first met, you were just so--

Tobey: Just say it. I was so gay.

Jack: No. No, you were so out, you know, and so ok with it, and I--I admit I was put off by it. That's all I could see, but tonight, I looked at you, and I really looked at you, and you're--you're funny, and you're handsome and nice and, yes, out. But now it's like the one thing that put me off is just one more thing that I like about you. I'm so not afraid anymore. (Jack leans over and kisses Tobey, a sweet long kiss.)

Tobey: (smiling) How about that dance? (Jack smiles)

[Prom - deck. Dawson walks over to where Gretchen is standing looking out at the water.]

Dawson: Hey.

Gretchen: Hey. How's Joey doing?

Dawson: Not so good. I'm sorry I took off back there.

Gretchen: Dawson, you don't need to explain. And it doesn't matter anyway because I know what I have to do. I've got to go on with my life. Go back to college, figure out who I am and what I want. This is not my place, not here and not with you. You're still chasing after Joey, I mean, literally and metaphorically.

Dawson: You--you told me to go to her. I thought you understood about our friendship.

Gretchen: I do. I do, and watching you chase her, it just made everything more clear. I mean, Dawson, there are so many loose ends, so much that the two of you haven't resolved... and as much as you think you're beyond the drama of high school and the prom, you're a part of it. You're smack in the middle of it and that's right where you should be. You're a senior in high school... and I'm not.

Dawson: Right, but that doesn't mean that this--us has to be over. Gretchen, I'm not ready for this to be over yet.

Gretchen: What we have is an impossible situation.

Dawson: I'm good at impossible situations.

Gretchen: I'm not. I'm just not. I'm sorry. (she kisses him and walks away)

[Prom - deck. Joey sits at a table alone. Pacey walks over and sits next to her. She doesn't look at him.]

Pacey: You know... last year... I felt like I could give you something that no one else could give you. I could give you that wall to paint your mural on. I could take you away on a sailboat for a summer. I could even give you that night in the ski lodge. But I don't feel like I have anything left to give you now, Jo. I guess I'm spent. I've become a man who hates himself so much he can't even look at his own reflection in the mirror, and I wish that I could tell you that being with you doesn't make that worse, but it does... because the more that you love me in spite of that, the angrier that I get at you... and the more that I stop loving you back.

Joey: How long have you felt this way?

Pacey: I don't know, but I know it's not right, and I know that, that my failures and my shortcomings don't really have anything to do with you, but I-- I also know that if we stay together I am going to continue to take them out on you.

Joey: You know, I've got news for you, Pacey, how you treat me is actually totally in your power.

Pacey: You know... our senior year is over now, and you and I are just 2 very different people on 2 very different paths, and for us this summer there is no boat, and there is no sunset. There is just Boston and Capeside.

Joey: But, Pacey, they're less than an hour apart.

Pacey: And are more than a world apart, and you know it. You've spent your entire life trying to get out of Capeside, Joey, because you felt like you deserved better. Well, I am Capeside. That's why I didn't get out and you did, and you do deserve better. You deserve better than this place, and you deserve better than me.

Joey: You break my heart into a thousand pieces, and you say it's because I deserve better? Just... leave me alone.

Pacey: Ok. (he gets up and walks away.)

[Limo - everyone is sitting quietly in the limo. Dawson and Gretchen on completely different sides of the seat. Pacey and Joey on completely different sides of the limo. Jen is passed out, leaning her head against Drue. Tobey and Jack acknowledge the silence and keep quiet.]

Driver: You kids want to go to that after party? (Joey, who sits in the front seat next to him, shakes her head no.)