21x19 - The Caves of Androzani - part 3

Episode transcripts for the 1963 classic TV show "Doctor Who". Aired November 23, 1963 to December 6, 1989. (First to Seventh Doctor)*

Moderator: Kitty Midnight

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise  Collectibles

What began as an encounter in a London junkyard in 1963 was to become a national institution in the United Kingdom. The crotchety old man - a renegade Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey - who calls himself "The Doctor" has regenerated several times, traveling with several companions for over five decades.
NuWho   Specials  

21x19 - The Caves of Androzani - part 3

Post by bunniefuu »

THE CAVES OF ANDROZANI

BY: ROBERT HOLMES

Part Three

Original Air Date: 15 March 1984
Running time: 24:36

CHELLAK: Salateen, what in thunder?

SALATEEN: I'll explain later, General. One escaped prisoner, sir.

CHELLAK: The android?

SALATEEN: She's real enough. Android's legs don't blister. Sharaz Jek smuggled in copies of this girl and her friend, the Doctor, and I'm afraid, sir, that he also copied me.

CHELLAK: Copied you?

SALATEEN: I've been held prisoner at his camp for months now, sir, and what you thought was me is in fact an android, a spy for Sharaz Jek.

CHELLAK: You mean I've had an android as my ADC without knowing it?

SALATEEN: When he made that copy of me, sir, it was like looking into a mirror. He's incredibly clever.

CHELLAK: What a blind fool I've been.

JEK: So, you thought to follow me. I expected that you would, and now you've learned the price of your curiosity.

STOTZ: Is that think back there one of your pets?

JEK: The Magma creatures never ascend above Blue level, and they have, in any case, no taste for my androids, only flesh and blood.

KRELPER: You tricked us into that!

JEK: No, you were led by your own cupidity. Greed, heedless of caution, lures many a man to his death.

JEK: Whoever you are, come out. Doctor! I hadn't expected to see you again so soon.

DOCTOR: Life often springs these little surprises.

SALATEEN: The android has a cortex with over five million responses programmed in. Jek boasts about it as his finest creation.

CHELLAK: So Jek has known every move, every plan we've made for months now.

SALATEEN: Within seconds, sir. The android is linked to his main computer.

CHELLAK: We'll soon put a stop to that. (into comm.) Major Salateen!

SALATEEN: There is a better way, sir.

CHELLAK: What?

SALATEEN: I thought of it on the way back.

R-SALATEEN (OOV.): Salateen here, sir. You called me?

CHELLAK: It's all right, Major. I've found what I wanted.

R-SALATEEN (OOV.): Very good, sir.

CHELLAK: You said there was a better way?

SALATEEN: Disinformation.

CHELLAK: Using the android.

SALATEEN: So long as Jek doesn't discover I've made it back here, he'll believe everything the android relays him to the terminal.

CHELLAK: You're a wily fellow, Salateen, I've always said so. But how will that help?

SALATEEN: We can make him think we're moving in one direction when in fact we'll be moving in on his base. I know the way to it.

CHELLAK: I like that idea. It means you and the girl will have to stay out of sight, of course. You can use my private quarters.

JEK: How is it that you were able to walk past my androids?

DOCTOR: I don't know. Maybe they just liked my face?

JEK: Well? Take your Spectrox.

STOTZ: The suppliers aren't going to like this, Jek.

JEK: Tell them if they will supply gas weapons as agreed, and deliver them safely, I will pay eight kilos for the next shipment.

JEK: When I ask a question, I do not expect flippancy. Where's the girl? Where's Peri?

DOCTOR: I wish I knew.

JEK: Take him.

JEK: Tear his arms out slowly. You know the power an android can exert, Doctor. After your arms, they will remove your legs. Now, where's the girl?

DOCTOR: I don't know. We got into a sh**t with one of your androids and then she disappeared.

JEK: You can't protect her. I shall tear the truth out of you.

DOCTOR: I think she's with Salateen.

JEK: Salateen? In that case they've probably reached the army camp. Release him.

DOCTOR: If they have, it's round two to the army, I'd say.

JEK: You know nothing. I must get the girl back, I must.

STOTZ: Jek, what about him.

JEK: He's no further use to me now.

STOTZ: I'd like to take him back to Major. I think the boss might want to question him.

JEK: Why?

STOTZ: We think he's a spy. I mean, why else should he be snooping around?

JEK: He told me he was, it's no matter who he is. Take him. I must find the girl.

STOTZ: When we get back to Major, you're going to wish those androids had finished the job. You'll be worked over by experts there.

PERI: What

SALATEEN: Shush.

CHELLAK: No further orders, Major.

CHELLAK: I said, there are no further orders, Major.

R-SALATEEN: Very good, sir.

CHELLAK: Was there anything else?

R-SALATEEN: The magma pressure is still increasing, sir.

CHELLAK: Yes, well, it's been high before and nothing happened. I'm sure if there's a mud burst on the way the engineers will give us ample warning.

R-SALATEEN: There will be time to get the barriers down, but a sudden burst could wipe out our forward patrols.

CHELLAK: Well, that's a calculated risk. We can't suspend operations because some time in the next month there might be a mud burst.

R-SALATEEN: No, sir.

CHELLAK: Very well. Carry on, Major.

CHELLAK: That android suspects something.

SALATEEN: They can detect human body heat even through a wall.

CHELLAK: I'll have to get it off the base, it's the only thing for it. How are you doing now?

PERI: Pretty awful, not that you care.

CHELLAK: I don't think she's any use to us.

SALATEEN: I'll give her another injection in an hour. She'll make it.

PERI: You're all heart, you two.

CHELLAK: If you weren't dying, I'd have you sh*t anyway. You may not have been gun-running, but treating with the enemy is punishable by death.

PERI: Treating with the enemy?

CHELLAK: Sharaz Jek went to great lengths to save you and your friend the Doctor from execution. He didn't do that out of kindness.

PERI: Look, the Doctor and I were just as much Sharaz Jek's prisoners as he was, and if it hadn't been for the Doctor, we'd all still be there.

SALATEEN: That is actually true, sir.

CHELLAK: Yes, well, it's academic now, anyway. I just want her fit enough to guide the first as*ault.

PERI: Some hope, the way I feel.

STOTZ: Come on, keep moving, you.

DOCTOR: What's that?

STOTZ: My ship, right on time, so hurry it up.

DOCTOR: My legs are going numb. I suppose that's stage three.

STOTZ: Stage three of what?

DOCTOR: I believe it's called Spectrox toxaemia.

STOTZ: You've been messing around with raw Spectrox?

DOCTOR: Yes.

KRELPER: Come on!

DOCTOR: Why don't you leave me here to die?

STOTZ: You'll last long enough for questioning. Take his arm, Krelper. We'll be at the ship in three minutes.

KRELPER: Come on.

CHELLAK: How does it work?

SALATEEN: Apparently it emits some low frequency signal that the androids recognise as friendly.

CHELLAK: Seems simple enough. If our artificers could knock up a couple of hundred of these

SALATEEN: That's what I thought, sir.

CHELLAK: Yes, well, we'll attend to that just as soon as I've got that android off the base.

SALATEEN: How do you intend to do that?

CHELLAK: Send it on a fools errand well out of the way.

SALATEEN: Anything you tell the android will be known to Jek within seconds. It will have to sound convincing or he'll get suspicious.

CHELLAK: Yes, I realise that.

SALATEEN: You could reinforce it, perhaps, by putting a call through to Trau Morgus.

CHELLAK: Morgus?

SALATEEN: If you tell Morgus that you've located Jek's headquarters and give him a set of bogus coordinates.

CHELLAK: Yes, then we circle around and catch the beggar napping. That's very good, Salateen.

SALATEEN: Well, I think Jek will automatically believe anything he hears you discussing with Morgus. He has a tap on the interplanetary vid. He can pick up all the transmissions between here and Major.

CHELLAK: How long has he been intercepting our vid transmissions?

SALATEEN: I think the android put the tap in, sir.

CHELLAK: It's little wonder this campaign has got nowhere. Jek has had advanced warning of every operation we've planned.

SALATEEN: You'll catch him cold this time, though.

CHELLAK: I think so, Salateen. And before he's ex*cuted, I'll see that evil renegade is dragged in chains through every city on Major.

STOTZ: Height?

KRELPER: One twenty metres.

STOTZ: Lock on course.

KRELPER: Course set.

MAN: Lock on.

STOTZ: Okay, close the jumps.

KRELPER: Closing jumps. Androzani Major, here we come.

STOTZ: You lads go and get some rest.

KRELPER: Well, I reckon we deserve that.

STOTZ: I'll just tell the boss we're on our way.

DOCTOR: Are you afraid of intruders?

STOTZ: When I talk to the boss, it's got to be just the two of us. That's the way he likes it.

DOCTOR: Something wrong with his face, or mine?

MORGUS (on monitor): You're late, Stotz.

STOTZ (on screen): We ran into some trouble, sir. The army intercepted the consignment.

MORGUS: I know that, but the weapons were untraceable.

STOTZ (on screen): I made doubly sure. Anyway, we att*cked them and wiped them out. But then we had trouble with Sharaz Jek.

MORGUS: He refused payment, I suppose.

STOTZ (on screen): Two kilos instead of five.

MORGUS: It should have been four, at least.

STOTZ (on screen): I forced him to agree more for the next delivery, sir. He's desperate for those gas weapons, so I said eight kilos or no deal.

MORGUS (on monitor): Eight? Did he agree?

STOTZ: Oh, of course. He could see I meant business. And another thing.

STOTZ (on screen): I think I've got a fix on where that Spectrox is stored.

MORGUS: Ah, that information be very valuable. Who is that?

STOTZ (on screen): Government snoop, sir.

MORGUS: Take off the blindfold.

DOCTOR (on screen): Ah, I thought I recognised the voice.

MORGUS: Something is happening I don't quite understand.

STOTZ (on screen): He calls himself the Doctor, sir.

MORGUS: I know that, Stotz. Be quiet. I need time to think.

MORGUS: The execution was a hoax. The General is obtuse, but he is a loyal Government servant. He would not have deceived me unless, unless his orders came from a higher authority.

MORGUS: Who's your employer, Doctor? Who are you acting for?

DOCTOR (on screen): I'm not acting for anyone. I was just passing through. I happened to get mixed up in this pathetic little local w*r.

MORGUS: I am the richest man in the whole of the five planets. You tell me the truth and I will reward you beyond your wildest dreams.

DOCTOR (on screen): I am telling the truth. I keep telling the truth. Why is it no one believes me?

STOTZ (on screen): He's a Government snoop, sir. Stick a few electrodes in him, he'll soon talk.

MORGUS: If he'd been sent by the Government, I'd know. My people on the Praesidium would have told me. No, somebody in a very high position told Chellak to fake the execution.

DOCTOR (on screen): How do you know it was faked? Maybe they were just bad sh*ts.

MORGUS: It could only have been the President. Something must have aroused his suspicion. Stotz, I want you to lock your ship in geostationary orbit, and I don't want you back here until I've had time to consider the implications of this.

STOTZ (OOV.): Geostationary orbit! If it wasn't for you we'd be well on our way home.

STOTZ: I should have wiped you out the minute I first saw you.

CHELLAK: Ah, Salateen. I have a treat for you. It's some time since you've been out on field operations, isn't it?

R-SALATEEN: Yes, sir.

CHELLAK: I know how bored an officer of your temperament gets with HQ duties. Now, as you know, we've had a satellite monitoring radio signals here for some time. We've now located a transmitter, must belong to the rebels, just here. Make a note of the coordinates.

R-SALATEEN: That's several miles, sir, and bad narrows all the way.

CHELLAK: Probably the reason Jek chose it. Anyway, I'm sure it's his main base. Take a small team, good men, do a quiet recce. As soon as I receive confirmation, I'll follow up in force. All right?

R-SALATEEN: Of course, sir.

R-SALATEEN: Keep the men moving, Sergeant. I'll catch you up.

JEK: Chellak is sending you north. He's trying to deceive me as to his intentions.

R-SALATEEN: Yes, master.

JEK: Have you seen the girl?

R-SALATEEN: Chellak has her hidden in his private quarters. And Major Salateen.

JEK: But now that you are out of the camp, Salateen will be free to move about. Excellent. The girl will be alone.

MORGUS: Yes, General, what is it?

CHELLAK (on screen): Good news, Trau Morgus. Our radio satellite has pinpointed Sharaz Jek's base.

MORGUS: Are you certain?

CHELLAK (on screen): I'm mobilising to att*ck now. In approximately six hours, we'll be in a position for a full-scale as*ault.

MORGUS: If you know where Jek's base is, why wait six hours?

CHELLAK (on screen): There are many difficult narrows to traverse. It'll take that time to assemble our men.

MORGUS: Have you informed the President?

CHELLAK (on screen): Not yet. I believe his Excellency is at a meeting of the Praesidium.

MORGUS: Yes, he is. I'm seeing him myself after the meeting. I will tell him the good news. Thank you for reporting, General.

CHELLAK (on screen): Thank you, sir.

JEK: You must come with me.

DOCTOR: Autohold, off. That's it. Now, vertical descent pattern.

PRESIDENT: An attempt to assassinate me? Who told you this, Morgus?

MORGUS: A man in my position, I have sources all over the world. It is of course only a whisper, but I think it would be wise to act with caution.

PRESIDENT: Yes, indeed. You've no idea who the miscreants are?

MORGUS: Not at the moment, Excellency, but I'm hoping to have more information soon.

PRESIDENT: I must strengthen my bodyguard.

MORGUS: I would take other precautions, sir. Vary your routine, stop announcing forthcoming engagements. In fact, for the time being, it might be well for you to cancel all public appearances.

PRESIDENT: Yes. Yes, that might seem prudent in the circumstances.

MORGUS: I'll have your floater brought round to the side entrance. You may leave the building by my private lift.

PRESIDENT: Thank you, Morgus. I cannot say how much I appreciate this.

MORGUS: Your Excellency's safety is my sole concern.

TIMMIN: Sir?

MORGUS: Krau Timmin, the most appalling thing has happened. His Excellency

TIMMIN: Not the President?

MORGUS: Yes, it was all over in a second. I had no time to stop him. This is a tragic loss to the world.

TIMMIN: It's dreadful, sir. And that it should have happened in this building.

MORGUS: Yes, yes, I am deeply distressed, Krau Timmin.

TIMMIN: Naturally you must be, sir.

MORGUS: Still, it could have been worse.

TIMMIN: In what way, Trau Morgus?

MORGUS: It could have been me. You had better tell the members of the Praesidium the sad news.

TIMMIN: Yes, sir.

MORGUS: In the absence of the President, I am myself flying off immediately to Androzani Minor on a peace mission.

TIMMIN: Peace mission, sir?

MORGUS: Yes. As Chairman of the Conglomerate, I will negotiate with Sharaz Jek to try to end this horrible carnage.

TIMMIN: The world will be for ever in your debt, Krau Morgus.

MORGUS: Yes, quite so. Have my private jet ready in ten minutes.

TIMMIN: Yes, sir.

MORGUS: Oh, and Krau Timmin? Have the lift maintenance engineer sh*t.

JEK: Good. Return to your positions.

JEK: Drink this. You'll feel better.

PERI: Back again?

JEK: I'm sorry it was necessary to drug you. The aftereffects will soon pass.

PERI: Have you seen the Doctor?

JEK: The Doctor? Yes, he's gone to Androzani Major.

PERI: What? I don't believe you.

JEK: You'll soon forget him, Peri.

PERI: But he wouldn't leave me here. He wouldn't.

JEK: He had no choice. Some people I do business with decided to take him with them.

PERI: Why?

JEK: They believed he was spying for the Government.

PERI: That's ridiculous.

JEK: These petty criminals are invariably paranoid, their twisted little minds infested with distrust and suspicion.

PERI: You didn't have to let them take him. You could have stopped them.

JEK: To think that I, Sharaz Jek, who once mixed with the highest in the land, am now dependent on the very dregs of society, the base perverted scum who contaminate everything they touch. And it is Morgus who's brought me to this! Morgus destroyed my life! Do you think I'm mad?

PERI: No.

JEK: I am mad. Do I frighten you?

PERI: N-no.

JEK: You're so important to me. I've lived so long in these caves, alone, like an animal. Now I can feast my eyes on your delicacy. I can forget the pain and blackness in my mind. It's all in the past. We could think of the future.

PERI: What future?

CHELLAK: She's gone!

SALATEEN: She must have been stronger than I thought.

CHELLAK: Well, she can't get far, can she? We'll pick her up again, unless she dies first.

PERI: You know the army are planning to att*ck?

JEK: I know.

PERI: But your androids won't fire back because the soldiers will be wearing belt plates.

JEK: The belt plates are emitting a signal on eighty beta-cycles. I've changes the recognition code to fifty beta-cycles. General Chellak, my dear, is in for a shock.

STOTZ (OOV.): Doctor, unlock this door! What are you doing in there?

STOTZ: Are you going to open this door or not?

DOCTOR: Ah, Stotzy, have you had a good rest?

STOTZ (OOV.): Damn you, Doctor, open this door!

DOCTOR: Sorry, seems to be locked.

STOTZ: Krelper, go and get the cutting gear. Now listen, Doctor.

STOTZ (OOV.): Be reasonable. This won't do you any good.

DOCTOR: Stotzy, we'll be touching down in a couple of minutes, or more likely crashing down. You see, I'm a bit out of practice with manual landings, so if I were you, I'd find something firm to hang on to!

STOTZ: I'll m*rder you when I get in there, Doctor!

STOTZ (OOV.): That'll do.

STOTZ: All right, snoop. Hands in the air and over here.

DOCTOR: Why?

STOTZ: Because I'll k*ll you if you don't.

DOCTOR: Not a very persuasive argument actually, Stotz, because I'm going to die soon anyway. Unless, of course

STOTZ: I'll give you to a count of three.

DOCTOR: Unless, of course, I can find the antidote. I owe it to my friend to try because I got her into this. So you see, I'm not going to let you stop me now!

`
The Doctor
Colin Baker

Peri Brown
Nicola Bryant

Sharaz Jek
Christopher Gable

Morgus
John Normington

Salateen
Robert Glenister

Stotz