21x22 - The Twin Dilemma - part 2

Episode transcripts for the 1963 classic TV show "Doctor Who". Aired November 23, 1963 to December 6, 1989. (First to Seventh Doctor)*

Moderator: Kitty Midnight

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise  Collectibles

What began as an encounter in a London junkyard in 1963 was to become a national institution in the United Kingdom. The crotchety old man - a renegade Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey - who calls himself "The Doctor" has regenerated several times, traveling with several companions for over five decades.
NuWho   Specials  

21x22 - The Twin Dilemma - part 2

Post by bunniefuu »

THE TWIN DILEMMA

BY: ANTHONY STEVEN

Part Two

Original Air Date: 23 March 1984
Running time: 25:09

PERI: We didn’t do it. The Doctor rescued you. Please, put down the g*n. Please put it down.

LT HUGO LANG: No. He deserves to...

(He collapses.)

DOCTOR: He was going to k*ll me, Peri.

PERI: Yes, he was. Poor guy.

DOCTOR: Peri!

PERI: He didn't know what he was doing. I mean, think what he must have had to suffer to act like that.

DOCTOR: Quite beside the point, for all you seem to care, I could be lying dead at your feet this very moment.

PERI: But you're not. You're safe. The point is, can you save him?

DOCTOR: Easily. But I'm not going to.

PERI You must!

DOCTOR: You never cease to amaze me. All you're asking me to do is revive a man who had every intention of murdering me.

PERI: We can't let him die.

DOCTOR: If it's a question of his life or mine, I certainly can.

PERI: Lieutenant Hugo Lang, interplanetary pursuit ace squadron.

DOCTOR: Oh, a sort of policeman.

PERI: Which hardly makes him a homicidal maniac. Here. Disarm the g*n, I'll hide the power pack. He can't do much harm then.

DOCTOR: I wouldn't like to count on it. Oh all right, have it your own way. Fetch the medical kit.

(Back to Azmael.)

AZMAEL: Well?

DRAK: We found the remains of two bodies. The others must have been destroyed with their ships.

AZMAEL: Mm. What about our own ship?

DRAK: No sign of damage.

AZMAEL: All the same, you'd better go out and check it. I don't want to be stuck here with a malfunctioning ship.

DRAK: At once. We can't use the transmat, the radiation level is too high.

AZMAEL: It's only the side effect of the energy beam that Mestor used to destroy the fighters. It'll clear soon.

NOMA: If we go out again, we risk radiation sickness.

AZMAEL: Use the service ducts. They'll provide protection for most of the way through the ship.

(They leave.)

AZMAEL: Is that the best speed you can manage?

ROMULUS: Is this the best speed we can manage?

REMUS: As it happens, yes.

AZMAEL Not good enough.

ROMULUS: How do you expect anyone to work like this?

REMUS: Our arms are practically dropping off.

ROMULUS: My fingers are so sore I can hardly hold the pen.

AZMAEL: Look, don't expect any sympathy from me. You brought this on yourselves. If you hadn't rigged that stupid distress beacon when we came here, I would have let you use electronic equipment. As it is I can't trust you. Now get on with your work.

TWINS: No.

AZMAEL: Pick them up.

TWINS: No.

AZMAEL: I warn you.

REMUS: Warn away.

ROMULUS: You can't force us to work.

AZMAEL: I can if I have to.

(They sit again.)

REMUS: Why don't you tell us what this is all about?

ROMULUS: If we knew, then we might cooperate.

AZMAEL: It's too soon to tell you everything. Have you heard of a planet called Jaconda?

REMUS: No. What happens there?

AZMAEL: It's new master... it's new master is a creature of infinite ambition. He requires the gifts of your genius to further that ambition. I cannot say more.

MESTOR: But I can. Professor Edgeworth is a merciful being. He believes in the sanctity of life. I do not. Fail to obey him once more, and I will have your minds removed from your bodies, and use them as I wish. Have you understood? I see that you have.

AZMAEL: Pick up your pens.

(In the TARDIS.)

DOCTOR: Ah. Post operative shock occluded, wounds closed, no internal hemorrhage. This deep healing beam's a small marvel. Great improvement on the old laser scalpel. Did you hide the power pack for his g*n well?

(In the wardrobe room.)

DOCTOR: Excellent. Oh, the satisfaction, Peri. Knowing how to save the life of a brave young man.

PERI: Or anyone, come to that.

DOCTOR: Hm?

PERI: Is he gonna be all right?

DOCTOR: Are you questioning my skill?

PERI: No, not your skill, Doctor.

DOCTOR: In that case, the short answer is yes. His heartbeat's slow but steady as a drum. An hour's rest and he'll be right as rain, whatever that means. Ah. An hour. An hour to k*ll. How to turn it to account? We must make plans, Peri. My full powers are returning.

PERI: Plans? Do you think that wise?

DOCTOR: My perceptions sharpening. I can sense some massive danger threatening the universe.

PERI: I thought you were the danger to the universe.

DOCTOR: Me?

PERI: That's what you said. That's why we came here, so that you could meditate.

DOCTOR: Words spoken in the sickness of transition. Now. There is a sickness in the air, I can feel the vibrations. I cannot yet detect their source, but it is there. I am never wrong. the life force itself is in danger of extinction. We must find this evil and destroy it.

PERI: How?

DOCTOR: Yes. Yes, that is the problem. It's odd Peri. The indications are very strong. I think the clue we need is here on Titan Three. That's it, of course, the children!

PERI: Children?

DOCTOR: He said something about children.

PERI: So he did.

DOCTOR: Now, an interplanetary space corps on a mission, his spacecraft crashes, he talks about children. Abducted children, that's it, Peri. Children of great importance, kidnapped by aliens, brought here to Titan Three, held for a kings ransom.

PERI: That's absurd.

DOCTOR It's nothing of the kind.

PERI: You said yourself there wasn't any life here.

DOCTOR: There wasn't. But we're here, he's here. Things change, Peri.

(She turns on the scanner.)

PERI: You think so?

DOCTOR: Hm. What's that?

PERI: What?

DOCTOR: That.

DOCTOR: That!

PERI: A bump.

DOCTOR: A bump? A bump, a bump? That is something which has no business on an uninhabited asteroid. Look at that symmetry. That's no part of nature's handiwork.

PERI: Is it far?

DOCTOR: Quite a distance. Let's get going.

PERI: Have you noticed the radiation level?

DOCTOR: What's a little radiation when we have a purpose, a mission in life?

PERI: Silly me. What's a little radiation sickness between friends.

DOCTOR: Brave heart, Tegan. Tegan?

PERI: I'm Peri.

DOCTOR: Yes, of course.

PERI: Look, Doctor, um, even if you are right about the radiation level, even if there are abducted children, you're talking about aliens. I mean, we can't even defend ourselves.

DOCTOR: Don’t worry, Peri. I won’t be putting your life at any risk, or mine either for that matter. This is just a simple reconnaisance.

PERI: But Lieutenant Lang?

DOCTOR: Who? Oh! Oh, the patient. Don't worry, he'll still be here when we get back. Come on, Peri. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

(He opens the door, they leave. Azmael checks work.)

AZMAEL: I'm about to transmit.

ROMULUS: Do you know what you are doing?

AZMAEL: Yes.

REMUS: If you transform all those equations into terms of power, you'll have enough energy there to generate a small sun.

AZMAEL: I know, but this is passive power for transportation. Now you've done extremely well, go and rest.

(Outdoors again.)

DOCTOR: The shades of night were falling fast, as through an Alpine village passed a youth who bore 'mid snow and ice, a banner with the strange device...Excelsior!

PERI: Oh Doctor, stop it!

DOCTOR: I was only trying to cheer you up. One of your primitive American versemakers. Longfellow, wasn't it?

PERI: Who cares. You're making enough noise to raise the dead. I'm so tired.

DOCTOR: Courage, Peri! Just follow in my footsteps. Apprez vous the deluge.

DOCTOR: Right, of course. Hello. Perhaps a way to enter the dome undetected.

PERI: Are you sure?

DOCTOR: Would you rather I walked around and knocked on the front door? I'm a knight errant, not an errant fool.

(Back to the boys room, euww.)

REMUS: It's something to do with these circles. That's how he must have done it.

ROMULUS: What?

REMUS: Taken our memories away.

ROMULUS: Hm, I spose so.

REMUS: I'm scared, Romulus.

ROMULUS: That awful creature. I've never been so frightened in my life.

REMUS: Same here. But it's everything else that's wrong. This place. What they’re forcing us to do, and whatever it is they aim to do with it when we're finished. I feel... well, I don't feel grown up anymore.

ROMULUS: There's nothing we can do, Remus. Just carry on. We daren't stop now.

AZMAEL: Transmission completed. Any problems?

MESTOR: None. You have done well.

AZMAEL: Thank you.

(In the service ducts.)

PERI: This is madness, you have no idea where we're going.

DOCTOR: To our destiny.

PERI: Well, can’t we rest? Our destiny can wait a moment.

DOCTOR: Peri, quickly! Now what did I tell you, listen.

PERI: Machinery? Let's get out of here.

DOCTOR: The perpetual cry of all cowards. We must investigate!

PERI: But do you think that wise? There could be enormous danger, even worse.

DOCTOR: Worse? Yes. Yes, well, perhaps you're right. The purpose of reconnaisance is after all is to gather information, not to finish up face down in a pool of one's own blood. Especially blood as noble as mine. We've found out what we want to know.

PERI: There's one thing, though.

DOCTOR What?

PERI: The children Lieutenant Lang mentioned.

DOCTOR: Yes. Yes, of course. But children are such survivors! Besides, we have only the word of a delirious man that there are any children.

PERI: Well if you didn’t believe him what are we doing here?

DOCTOR: An unthinking act of foolish bravado, you know my current state of mind.

PERI: Don't you think we should just look, just in case?

DOCTOR: No, Peri. Discretion is always the better part of valour. We should return to the TARDIS and rethink the situation.

PERI: If that's what you want... D-Doctor?

DOCTOR: What is it now? Aliens? Oh no! No no no don't sh**t, it's not my fault, I'm just a poor pilgrim, it's all her fault! Mercy, mercy mercy don't sh**t me! Don’t sh**t me!

MESTOR: The loss of five ships was sufficient. They've called off the search. You will return at once.

AZMAEL: Very well. I must revitalize.

(He does some stuff and enters a triangle and turns into the visible man.)

DOCTOR: Look, I'm sure we can sort this out.

DRAK: Move.

DOCTOR: None of this is my fault, I'm an innocent party, it's all her fault. She's forever leading me off the straight and narrow.

PERI: Oh thanks a lot, Doc.

DOCTOR: Kindly refrain from addressing me as Doc, Perpugilliam.

(They enter the room.)

DOCTOR: Some of this technology looks familiar.

PERI: Why don't you just keep your big mouth shut?

DOCTOR: Oh my sincere apologies, a momentary lapse. I am now in total control. Leave everything to me.

AZMAEL: Who are these?

DRAK: Survivors.

AZMAEL: But you said there were none.

DRAK: I can’t explain it.

DOCTOR: But I can. We are in no sense survivors. We came to Titan Three of our own free will.

AZMAEL: Who in their right minds come to Titan Three of their own free will?

DOCTOR: Pilgrims in search of peace.

NOMA: They were spying.

DOCTOR: Silence, wretch!

NOMA: I will not be silent. Look at them, unmarked, unhurt. They're not survivors from the wreck. They're spies, put them to death.

AZMAEL: Hold your tongue, Noma. You say you're pilgrims?

DOCTOR: Yes, and pilgrims need a place in which to meditate. We were searching for a cave when we happened to stumble into your service duct.

AZMAEL: And your companion?

DOCTOR: My disciple.

AZMAEL: A pretty one.

DOCTOR: A most devout young person. Now sir, whoever you are, I demand an explanation for this disgraceful treatment. Now there's a face that floats upon my memory. Impossible. I'm hallucinating! As I live and breathe, Azmael you old dog! What in the name of wonder are you doing here? Peri, it's my old friend and mentor the master of Jaconda!

AZMAEL: I am nothing of the kind, I never saw you in my life.

DOCTOR: Forgive me old friend, of course you don't recognize me. I've regenerated twice since our last meeting. The twin hearts that b*at as one? I'm a Time Lord, just as you are. In case you still pretend not to know who I am, let me remind you. The last time I stayed, that last night? When you drank like twenty giants and I had to put you in the fountain to sober you up?

AZMAEL: I must concede, you have to be the Doctor!

DOCTOR: Thank heaven. For a minute you almost had me worried there. You don't seem overjoyed.

AZMAEL: There's nothing to rejoice about. I wish I could extend the hand of friendship.

DOCTOR: Why don't you?

AZMAEL: Well, the old times are gone forever.

PERI: Oh, Doctor, look!

DOCTOR: Earthlings. Children. By heaven, Peri, I was right!

(Back in the TARDIS with Hugo. He wakes up and looks around.)

LT HUGO LANG: My ship... my ship... oh no. No. Where have they hidden it?

(Back to Doctor's g*ng.)

DOCTOR: I see. You abduct these children, deprive them of their memories, bring them to this screaming wilderness and won't disclose your motives? That hardly sounds in character.

AZMAEL: We are wasting time.

DOCTOR: What's time to us? You're in trouble, Azmael. Grave trouble.

AZMAEL: There is a point beyond trouble, you can't help me now.

DOCTOR: Don't be absurd, you and I together? What an infallible combination.

(Noma sets the destruct.)

AZMAEL: Let this at least be clear, Doctor. I am no longer master of Jaconda but I can still save my people. I will do so whatever the cost, even the price of friendship. You were always full of good intentions Doctor, I cannot risk your interfering now.

DOCTOR: What does that mean?

AZMAEL: You must stay here.

DOCTOR: As prisoners?

(The TARDIS wardrobe, then back to the ship.)

AZMAEL: The lock on the main door has ten million million combinations. Now will you please move over there? You too. Into the transmat area. Don't try to follow us. Once we've gone, the transmat will become random. Try to use it and your remains will be spread across the surface of this miserable rock. If it's of any comfort, Doctor, I too remember that evening by the fountain. Farewell.

(They leave.)

DOCTOR: Poor fellow. He's not a bit like that really.

PERI: I don't care what he's like. He's left us here forever.

DOCTOR: No Peri. Few days at most.

PERI: Did you hear what he said? Ten million million combinations!

DOCTOR: That's what I mean. It may take even me a few days. Well, no time like the present, let's get started.

(Lang puts on something ugly and finds his power pack. What a coincidence.)

(Peri finds the b*mb.)

PERI: Doctor? Doctor? Doctor quickly.

DOCTOR: It's vital you don't interrupt the sequence.

PERI: It's vital you see this, I don’t like the look of it one bit.

DOCTOR: All right, I'm coming.

PERI Oh!

DOCTOR: Hm? Oh no. Come... He wouldn't have... We haven't got a few days, or even a few hours. In fact we haven’t got that many minutes.

PERI: It's a self destruct mechanism, isn't it?

DOCTOR: That I can't switch off.

PERI Are we'sa gonna die?

DOCTOR: Not yet. It means we've got to find another way out of here and very quickly indeed.

(In the TARDIS)

LT HUGO LANG: Now, how do I get out of here?

(Back to Doctor)

DOCTOR: Eureka! I can do it, Peri! I can do it!

(To Azmael's ship)

AZMAEL: Everything in order?

NOMA: Everything in order.

AZMAEL: Stand by for takeoff.

NOMA: Standing by.

(Their ship takes off.)

DOCTOR: That should do the trick.

PERI: What trick?

DOCTOR: I'll be brief, I must be very brief. That is known as a revitalizing modulator. It breaks down your molecular structure and puts it back together again, a most refreshing process. Until now that's the only purpose it served. I have improvised. It will take you back in time.

DOCTOR: Ten seconds to be precise. You'll find yourself in the TARDIS.

PERI: Are you sure?

DOCTOR: Absolutely, in you go. No, wait a minute, awkward. I won't be able to see the computer clock when it's my turn and I need to be able to compensate for the time factor so I arrive back at the TARDIS at the same time as you do. Your watch, Peri, lend me your watch,. Come on, quickly. When I stand clear, press the internal button. Do hurry Peri, in precisely one minute I'm going to be blown to pieces.

(It activates.)

DOCTOR: It worked. It actually worked. Oh no, it's stopped.

(He pushes buttons and gets in, and rubs his p*ssy.)

PERI: Doctor?

LT HUGO LANG: Who are you?

(The dome blows up real good.)

PERI: Doctor where are you?

(Snort snort.)

PERI: No. Oh no. Oh no Doctor.

`
The Doctor
Colin Baker

Peri Brown
Nicola Bryant

Professor Edgworth / Azmael