02x01 - The Distance

All episode transcripts for the TV show "The O.C.". Aired August 2003 - April 2007.*
Watch/Buy Amazon

A troubled youth becomes embroiled in the lives of a close-knit group of people in the wealthy, upper-class neighborhood of Newport Beach, Orange County, California.

02x01 - The Distance

Post by bunniefuu »

Opening scene - We are inside the Cohen house, there is plastic sheeting everywhere and a shirtless guy climbs down a ladder, as he climbs down the camera goes down with him. we can now see that the Cohen house is full of shirtless builders and the head builder Archie is talking to Sandy

Archie: so we've knocked down the retaining wall to allow for more flow

Sandy: great now...when do you think we will have achieved flow

Archie: when do you think we'll be done tearin your house apart?

Sandy: no my how is torn apart an constructions got nothin'a do with it, ball park Archie ball park

Archie: I-its September now id say two weeks (Sandy looks at him) a month tops...six weeks

Sandy: (nods) well in the mean time-

(Sandy and Archie enter the hallway and just as they do the wall to the right of them busts open, there is debris everywhere)

Sandy: (continues walking) in the mean time could ya please try'to convince the fellas here to wear something in a shirt, my neighbours have started to refer to my home as the man hole

Archie: too uh Village People

Sandy: exactly

(Kirsten comes down the stairs)

Archie: ill talk to my guys

Kirsten: (smiles) hey Archie (smile goes) (barely heard) Sandy (walks into the kitchen)

Sandy: oh...an don't ever get married (Archie nods) an if you do don't ever have kids

CUT TO: The kitchen - Kirsten is in there making coffee and Sandy walks in

Sandy: well...good news Archie thinks the remodel should be done any time between now an...well he didn't say never but there was subtext (walks over) id love some coffee (Kirsten holds out the coffee pot) thankyou, boy am I excited to head into court for day one of this riveting (Kirsten sits at the table) nuisance law suit where one yacht owner feels that this other yacht owner is in violation of the noise ordinance at Crystal Cove (Sandy looks at Kirsten who appears to be ignoring him reading the paper) butter scotch donkey Paso lamp shade truck stop stethescope

Kirsten: (head down) you know your doing that thing where you think that i'm ignoring you so you start speaking in gibberish to see if i'm listening

Sandy: aww, you were listening

Kirsten: nope...i'm distracted by today's paper actually the date of today's paper (looks at Sandy)

Sandy: he's gonna come back

Kirsten: by the time school starts? or by the time Archie finishes the remodel (stands up)

Sandy: what'do you want me to do, tie him up an stuff him in a trunk

Kirsten: at this point...yes (fed up) I have had enough of your hippy parenting psycho-babble

Sandy: ooh so that's the problem, its not your smothering over protectiveness that kept him from ever having a friend until Ryan came along (Kirsten looks at him) sometimes the best thing for a kid is to have some space

Kirsten: (upset) the Pacific Ocean that's not enough space?

Sandy: if ya force him to come home he's gonna wanna run away again

Kirsten: I don't care what he wants! I-I don't care what he thinks is fair, he could've d*ed out there!

Sandy: ok so you can blame me...an he can blame us...an we can keep passin the buck all summer long

Kirsten: summer is over, school is starting!

Sandy: this is where he belongs, he's gonna figure that out

Kirsten: i'm tired of waiting for that bring him home Sandy...bring him home

(Kirsten walks out, Sandy walks out shortly after her)

Theme Song - California by Phantom Planet

(song is the same as last season, the style is the same, the little episode clips that go with the actors are from this season)

Caleb's mansion - Marissa and Summer are sun baking by the pool in the backyard in bikinis, Marissa walks over with drinks for them and sits down

Summer: ugh could it be any hotter, I feel like my flesh is melting, I just hope it melts evenly (sighs) (Marissa puts her head back & closes her eyes)

(Summer looks over at the 'yard guy'. he's watering some plants, shirtless)

Summer: daaammmn girl, break me off a piece'a dat (laughs)

(Marissa looks over, he looks at her and smiles, she looks at him, then Summer looks at him)

Summer: he is totally checking you out (Marissa looks away)

(he looks at them again, then looks down)

Marissa: so my mom's tryin'a drag me to cardio bar again, it's her idea of mother daughter bonding

Summer: cardio bar Coop

Marissa: well she says it's the new Tai Bo so maybe I can (pointed) learn to kick her ass

Summer: I don't think you need'ta do anymore cardio

Marissa: (looks at Summer) what's that suppose'to mean

Summer: nothing, it's just that...well an I mean this in the least scandalous way, but you're lookin a little thin

Marissa: huh, I eat!

Summer: ok (drinks her drink) oh god, you definitely drink, what's in this lighter fluid

Marissa: mm (swallows) ahhh this is a Newport Beach ice tea

Summer: this is ten o'clock in the morning, it's a little early

Marissa: (looks at Summer) for who

(Summer looks at Marissa, then puts her head back like Marissa is)

Summer: ugh this bikini is so uncomfortable I need'to go get a new one you wanna go to South Coast

Marissa: (smiles) totally there's a Paul Frank sale there Wednesday

Summer: Wednesday I can't, I have plans with Zach

Marissa: ooo more plans with Zach huh

Summer: yes (looks at Marissa) the more time I spend with Zach, the less time I have to think about (screws up her face) god (clicks) what's his face, built like a bean pole curly hair (emphasised) runs away like a little bitch on a sail boat leaving nothing but a note for his girlfriend who cried an cried over him till the 4th of July when she decided she doesn't cry over b*tches - on - boats

Marissa: Seth (Summer looks at her) his name, its Seth

Summer: I know, i'm jus doing that thing where I pretend I don't an I have'to use alot of descriptive insults to give voice to my inner pain (sighs) so yeah cant do it Wednesday

Marissa: more plans with Zach

Summer: well it's a formality really...I refuse to get close to him...I will never be close to a boy (raises her eyebrows) again

Marissa: yeah I know what you mean (drinks)

(we see them from behind, which also shows just how huge the house is)

CUT TO: Chino - we see a building site, then we see Theresa's car pulls up

Ryan: uh that's good, alright thanks for the ride (gets out)

Theresa: oh don't forget your lunch...I uh peeled your orange for you (smiles)

Ryan: (smiles) thanks but it's probably not the best way to fit in with these guys

Theresa: (nods) right

Ryan: alright well ill uh (motions behind him)

Theresa: yeah y-you don't want the foreman to get angry

Ryan: oh he's always angry, he's an angry man

Theresa: (smiles) maybe tonight we could ah rent a movie or play pool or something

Ryan: yeah, yeah pool sounds good (Theresa nods) see ya

(Theresa waves then drives off, Ryan watches then looks at his neatly peeled orange in its plastic bag,lol he sighs)

CUT TO: The mansion - Julie and Caleb are there. Caleb is in the kitchen, Julie comes in while she's talking

Julie: honey i've gotta pick up Kaitlin from junior life guards, maybe she can save her sister from drowning in self pity

Caleb: (looking out the window) what is that flower truck doing in our driveway, I get the feeling that its ben there every week

Julie: because it has

Caleb: (frowns) we get flowers delivered every week

Julie: yes Cal, there living things they die

Caleb: (goes to the phone) do you hear a clicking on the phone, every time I try'to dial out (listens) I swear I hear a clicking

Julie: (looks at Caleb) ok Nixon...paranoid much...what's going on with you Cal, you're either hopped up on blow or something is seriously wrong

Caleb: its...nothing it's my blood thinning medication sometimes it makes me feel-

Julie: wacko, like all summer long (Caleb laughs) oh I'm taking Kaitlin to go look at new pony's

Caleb: what's wrong with China?

Julie: China...has alopecia (Caleb looks at her) I was hoping that the hair treatments would work but...bald as a baby's ass...oh its jus not right for a little girl to love a hairless pony

Caleb: oh I spose that's fair

Julie: thanks (kisses him on the cheek & walks away)

Caleb: your not...charging that on the company card are ya

Julie: (stops & turns around) (worried) why?

Caleb: because...we can't claim Kaitlin's new pony as a business expense, it's illegal

Julie: oh I know, I was gonna put it on the black card (smiles) bye sweetie

CUT TO: Cohen house - Kirsten has 2 bags full of groceries in her arms and one of the shirtless workers pulls across the plastic sheeting so she can walk through to the kitchen. she puts the bags down then pulls out the juice and takes it to the fridge, when she opens the fridge door we see their family Chrimukkah photo {aww} Kirsten shuts the fridge and looks at the photo then looks down to a post it stuck to the fridge it reads 'Carson (503) 555 0169'

CUT TO: A telephone ringing - Luke answers it

Luke: hello

(Kirsten is on the phone in the kitchen)

Kirsten: uh Luke its Kirsten

Luke: heeey Mrs. Cohen, how you doin...although I think I can answer that one for myself

Kirsten: yeah is uh is he there?

(Luke walks into his living room, we see the back of Seth sitting on the couch playing a video game)

Luke: (holds out the phone) it's for you

(Seth holds his ear to the phone and continues playing, he's holding the phone with his shoulder)

Seth: hello

Kirsten: Seth...its mom

Seth: mom hmm...blonde sharp Anglican features, cute little nose

Kirsten: (sighs) (sad) come home

Seth: did Ryan come back?

Kirsten: Seth Ezekiel

Seth: ok using the dreaded middle name is not the best way to forge a bond

Kirsten: this has gone on long enough

Seth: mm weeell not quite yet I just signed up to teach more sailing lessons through September, Portland needs me mother

Kirsten: (sincerely) so do I

Seth: (sits forward & holds the phone) here's the thing though (sighs) I hate it there (Kirsten is listening) i'm never coming back to Orange County, now if you an dad wanna move to (shakes his head) I don't know say anywhere else on the planet then we can talk

Kirsten: an here I was crazy ta think that a simple appeal from a mother to a son might get some traction

Seth: (holding the phone with his shoulder) yeah well that is crazy, bye (nudges the phone off his shoulder)

Kirsten: so your jus gonna hang up o- (dial tone) (frowns & hangs up)

(Sandy comes in. Kirsten slams the phone down on the base)

Sandy: gave in an called him huh

Kirsten: he use'to be such a sweet kid

Sandy: an he's turning out to be quite the angry young man...I had the same talk with him thi'safternoon

Kirsten: (upset) doesn't he know...that we didn't want Ryan to leave anymore then he did

Sandy: well right now it's...its not about what he knows (rubs Kirsten's arm) it's about how he feels

Kirsten: (looks around) this house jus seems so empty

(a shirtless guy walks through)

Sandy: an yet so full

(3 guys pull down a plastic sheet that is separating the kitchen and dining room)

Sandy: full of sweaty, shirtless men...you'd think you'd be in heaven (Kirsten laughs)

(door bell)

Kirsten: oh that's Jimmy I said that we were gonna have dinner with him but... (sighs)

Sandy: ill talk to him (walks out)

(Kirsten sighs)

CUT TO: The front door - Sandy opens the door and Jimmy is standing there.

Sandy: Jimbo (Jimmy smiles) how goes it

Jimmy: it goes fantastic (Sandy comes outside & shuts the door) you guys still gonna join me an Hailey on the boat for dinner

Sandy: (softly) (shakes his head) no, Kirsten's not feelin so great

Jimmy: Seth still won't come home huh

Sandy: no he'll come home you know he's-he's got no real choice I...i'm jus tryin'a figure out the best way for him to realise that

Jimmy: well if you're too tough on him, I mean bring him back kicking an screaming (sits on the step)

Sandy: oh I know, it'll only make things worse, the last thing anybody wants is (sits next to Jimmy) a bitter resentful teenager in the house (Jimmy laughs) he wont talk ta me, he wont talk to Kirsten

Jimmy: well maybe there's somebody else he'll talk to

(Sandy looks at Jimmy)

CUT TO: Chino - Ryan is on the building site he looks over and sees Sandy getting out of the car

Sandy: (walks towards him) ah I wanted'to make sure you weren't slackin off, tryin'a punch out early

(Ryan smiles and shakes Sandy's hand)

Ryan: I wish, how are you

Sandy: uh pretty good, you

Ryan: that was real nice'a Kirsten to send over those baby clothes

Sandy: oh please Kirsten loves ta shop, even for the unborn

Ryan: how's the remodel goin?

Sandy: alot like this (points) a disaster

Ryan: well as long as it keeps her distracted right

Sandy: well it's not really doin the trick anymore

Ryan: Seth wants'to stay in Portland

Sandy: an school is right around the corner an everybody's diggin in their heels holdin their positions

Ryan: so you goin up there

Sandy: yeah i've always liked Luke he's like a-a big golden retriever (Ryan laughs)

Ryan: actually he-he kinda is

Sandy: you wanna come (Ryan looks at him) 1, 2 punch might be more effective, you an me...unbeatable combination

Ryan: (thinks) he was pretty mad at me the last time I saw him...we haven't talked since so

Sandy: oh he's pretty mad at everybody

Ryan: (unsure) I don't know its- Theresa's got some tests I got...work

Sandy: well (pulls out a plane ticket) just in case (hands it to him) and don't worry if you don't use it I got a great fare

(Theresa pulls up in the car and looks over at them. Sandy and Ryan look over at her, Sandy waves, Theresa waves back)

Ryan: good luck

Sandy: take care kid (touches Ryan's arm)

(Sandy goes to his car and Ryan watches, then walks over to Theresa and puts the ticket in his back pocket. Sandy opens his car door)

CUT TO: Theresa and Ryan's room - the alarm clock says 6:00, on the same table is a photo frame with a photo of Ryan and Theresa together - we see Ryan lying in bed wide awake thinking, he closes his eyes then opens them again. camera changes and we see Theresa lying next to him on her side she's also wide awake and looks worried - Ryan walks out the front door carrying the trash he puts it in the bin then looks towards the street, we see a boy on his bike, then 2 more boys on bikes appear. one of the boys on bikes holds his hand out and a boy high fives him as he rides past. the boy looks like a younger version of Ryan, he's even in a wife beater,lol. the boy looks over at Ryan, and Ryan looks at him. a car drives passed blocking Ryan's view of the boy, then when the car moves out of the sh*t the boy is gone. Ryan walks away - Ryan is back inside, he stands in the doorway and watches Theresa who is in a pink robe standing at the stove. Theresa turns around and Ryan waves and smiles. Theresa smiles then turns back around. the camera pans to a brown paper bag sitting on the table. Ryan looks at it then back at Theresa - Ryan is now sitting on the bed he picks up his pants and pulls the plane ticket out and looks at it, he puts it on top of the alarm clock

(Theresa opens the door)

Theresa: breakfast is ready (Ryan turns around) my mom left early so there's plenty of food

Ryan: thanks (picks up the plane ticket)

Theresa: what's that?

Ryan: nothing uh Sandy needs some help convincing Seth to come home

Theresa: (nods) is that why he came by yesterday, cause you said he was jus checking in (Ryan stands)

Ryan: yeah...nah its I don't know I mean Seth's still angry (Theresa sits) I guess he blames his parents

Theresa: for you leaving

Ryan: yeah

Theresa: I can't imagine what he thinks about me...so are you gonna go to Portland

Ryan: no, I can't

Theresa: you should go if you wanna go

Ryan: it's for them to figure out, as a family

Theresa: your not part'a their family

Ryan: not anymore (kisses her on the cheek) I should get to work

(Theresa watches him leave)

CUT TO: A parking garage - a car drives in and the camera follows it, it stops next to another car. we now see that Caleb is in one car and Sandy in the one that pulls up

Sandy: (puts window down) hey Cal, always a pleasure although if I may w...why're we meetin in a parking garage

Caleb: because my office...might be bugged, my home your home who knows what the feds are up to

Sandy: (smiles) boy you've really flipped your noodle haven't ya, hey I could be wearin a wire...you never know (puts his hand up) sure you don't wanna frisk me

Caleb: I don't have time for your jokes

Sandy: nor do I, I gotta be at the OC airport in half an hour...i'm headin up to Portland

Caleb: to see Seth

Sandy: (nods) yeah

Caleb: I don't get it, his best friend leaves so he...runs off with another boy and his gay dad, gotta admit it sounds kinda strange

Sandy: an this comin from a guy who is one click away from wearin a wig an a fake moustache

Caleb: you think my paranoia is unfounded

Sandy: (smiles) it's entertaining but completely unfounded, I haven't heard anything from any'a my friends at the DA's office

Caleb: that doesn't make any sense, DA comes to see me at the beginning of summer, tells me the sky is falling...an he hasn't done a damn thing since

Sandy: well either they've realised they got nothin...or there building one hell of a case...I got a plane to catch (starts the car)

CUT TO: Portland - Luke and Seth are working. Seth is drawing a super hero looking girl in a book (it closely resembles Summer) Luke notices

Luke: that looks just like uh (Seth looks at him) talked to her since your fourth'a July blow out

Seth: no, she stopped taking my calls so I stopped making em she doesn't understand it's not about her

Luke: you've got some will power because she has a k*ller rack (Seth looks at him)

(we see 2 girls through the window, Luke goes over to them)

G: you guys missed the greatest water ski lesson of all time

Jane: this guy must'a ben three hundred pounds an he wanted to drop his skis

(Luke kisses G)

G: i've never seen anyone wipe out harder in my life, he lost everything

Jane: including...his bathing suit

Seth: heeey, i'm sorry I missed that

Jane: (walks over to Seth) hey what happened to you last night we went to saltys an my ID finally worked, it was so much fun

Seth: yeah I don't know, jus wasn't up for it

Luke: Cohen got in a little fight with his mom

Seth: (closes his eyes) thankyou, that was both honest an emasculating

G: parents turning up the heat?

Seth: I guess, its probably time to tell em about the home school plan

Jane: i'm sure that will go over really well, we gotta get back out there...jus wanted'to share

Seth: alright dude (holds out his hand)

Jane: alright

(Luke kisses G goodbye)

Seth: don't drown...oh hey if you see anymore naked fat guys be sure an let Luke know, ok

(they both laugh. Luke looks at Seth)

Luke: dude

Seth: yes

Luke: you need'to close on Jane before the summers over

CUT TO: them walking into Luke's house

Seth: I live here so does she, there's plenty'a time

Luke: whatever you say

(Carson comes in from another room)

Carson: hey guys

Luke: hey dad, what times dinner?

Carson: uh half an hour...and we have a guest

(Seth and Luke look at Carson, Sandy walks in)

Sandy: hi, Sandy Cohen

(Seth stands there stunned and manages a little wave)

CUT TO: Cohen house - Kirsten is at the front door and Marissa and Jimmy are getting out of a cute little red car

Kirsten: oh hey

Jimmy: hey

Kirsten: new car?

Marissa: oh yeah my mom gave it to me, it's my get away car (walks in)

Jimmy: not without me

Kirsten: ah thankyou you guys for coming

Jimmy: Hailey is stuck at work but we're happy to keep you company

Kirsten: yeah well being in the house by yourself isn't as wonderful as I had fantacised

(they are all inside now)

Marissa: so have you talked ta Seth...or Ryan

Kirsten: I talked at Seth, if it qualifies as a conversation...Sandy saw Ryan last night he-he seems to be doing well

Marissa: oh well that's good

Kirsten: do you guys still talk

Marissa: uh...yeah not really, we use to but it jus sorto made everything harder (Kirsten nods) (Marissa leaves the room)

Jimmy: see, your kid doesn't need to be in Portland to be distant (rubs Kirsten's arm Kirsten sighs)

CUT TO: Marissa walking into the back yard. she shuts the door and stares at the pool house, she slowly walks up to the doors. she looks in and we see all the bedding neatly left stacked on the bed. Marissa goes to put her hand on the door handle. she stops and pulls her hand back. she turns around and walks away, sad

CUT TO: Carson's house - Carson, Luke, Sandy and Seth are at the table eating dinner. Carson and Sandy are sitting next to each other and Luke and Seth are across from them

Carson: so the last I heard you were opening a restaurant, how's that goin

Sandy: well...didn't happen I-it's a long story but hey they have plenty'a good restaurants in Newport

Seth: I thought you said all the restaurants in Newport were over priced an over sauced

(Sandy looks at Seth, Seth shrugs)

Sandy: (to Carson) I have this thing about sauces, less is more (laughs) (Carson laughs) (to Luke) so you excited about school or

Luke: its gonna be a little weird I-I gotta meet all the new kids an...they don't have a water polo team

Seth: hey, some would call that heaven

Sandy: the Harbor school jus broke ground on the new gym an you know it-it shou-should be beautiful

Seth: are you-are you workin for the tourism board now

Sandy: watch your mouth, I was tryin'a be polite...you might wanna give it a try

Seth: no thanks id rather be honest

Sandy: you wanna be honest?

Seth: yeah

Sandy: well lets talk about the spoiled brat whose had everything handed to him (Seth listens with his bottom lip sucked in) whose parents have ben bustin their asses to make sure he's happy an how does he repay em

Seth: this isn't about you

Sandy: yes it is! because you're k*lling your mother and she is k*lling me

Seth: ya can't spend my entire life telling me everything that's wrong with Newport an then just expect i'm gonna go back (shrugs) ya can't do that

Sandy: Newport is your home, like it or not, when your eighteen an you've saved up enough money you can move far away from the parents you resent an the town you loathe

Seth: ya let Ryan go, why not me?

Sandy: we invited Ryan into our home, you don't get that choice-

Seth: (upset) yeah but you didn't even try an stop him i'm mean u- ya didn't even make an attempt

Sandy: ...Ryan had'a do what he had'a do

Seth: ok well so do I (leaves the table)

(Sandy watches him leave, stunned)

CUT TO: The beach - Marissa is at the life guard tower where Ryan first told them he was leaving. she is sitting down looking lost. she picks up a bottle of alcohol and drinks she then reaches into her bag and pulls out her phone and dials a number

CUT TO: Chino - Theresa and Ryan are in bed, the phone rings. Ryan rolls over and answers it

Ryan: hello

(Marissa is teary, just listening and not saying anything)

Ryan: hello (closes his eyes) who is this

(Marissa looks as though she wants to say something but she cant - Ryan lays there not saying anything, to me the look in his face looks as though he knows its Marissa - Marissa breathes heavily, still not saying anything - Ryan is still listening on the phone - Marissa starts to get upset then pulls the phone away from her ear and hangs up - Ryan closes his eyes and pulls the phone away from his ear, he opens them then hangs the phone up. we see Theresa is awake and looks worried)

CUT TO: Carson's house the next morning - Carson is in the kitchen and Sandy walks in

Carson: mornin

Sandy: morning

Carson: d'you want some coffee?

Sandy: please

Carson: yeah I make it kinda strong

Sandy: oh anything this side'a motoroil(?) I-I didn't sleep at all...i'm sorry about our little family drama last night

Carson: he's a good kid Sandy, he's a smart kid

Sandy: he-he's too smart (laughs)

Carson: (laughs) when is it that the kids get all the power

Sandy: oh they've always had the power y'know when there two years old your runnin after em, tryin'a make sure they don't get hurt an...well this is the teenage version'a that

(Seth comes in)

Seth: Carson, father

Sandy: son

Carson: i'm gonna go see what uh Luke wants for breakfast

Seth: hmm I believe that was just a convenient excuse to leave us to round two

Sandy: oh there is no round two...i'm backing your play

Seth: (confused) what? is this like a...Jedi mind trick or

Sandy: no I...I thought about what you said last night an...an I don't know what else to do...if this is really where you wanna be...I cant force ya to come back

Seth: (nods) so your letting me stay

Sandy: well at least I know your safe here...you know its better then draggin you home...so that when the next time you decide to run away y-y you might not leave a note you might not call

Seth: (nods) ...well thankyou...thankyou uh I you know i'm really sorry ta...drag you all the way up here

Sandy: (smiles) well it was worth it jus to see ya

Seth: (smiles) yeah you too

Sandy: so, look you know that I left home when I was your age and uh an I uh an I wanna say to you what I-I wish my parents had said to me

Seth: ooh (smiles)

Sandy: we love you (Seth nods) an the door is always open

Seth: yeah I know, I know

(Sandy looks at Seth, Seth looks at Sandy)

Seth: got a...sailing lesson at ten an I gotta...

Sandy: alright

Seth: thanks (Sandy nods)

(they hug tightly, Sandy closes his eyes - aww)

Sandy: take care of yourself huh

Seth: yeah, bye (waves)

CUT TO: Chino - Ryan walks out of their bedroom with an overnight type bag and drops it in the kitchen. Theresa is already in there

Theresa: hey, so uh we should probably leave in half hour

Ryan: I don't work Saturdays

Theresa: no, my doctors appointment

Ryan: uh...right

Theresa: (smiles) you forgot

Ryan: no, no I um...yeah I forgot (smiles) sorry

Theresa: (nods, smiles) (notices the bag) w-what's with the bag

Ryan: uh I was...gonna go ta Portland...actually (Theresa nods) before I remembered your doctors appointment

Theresa: ...except you didn't remember

Ryan: well i've ben to every doctor's appointment what're you sayin I don't care?

Theresa: no its jus plane tickets showing up (Ryan looks at her) phone calls in the middle of the night...what's going on

Ryan: look I left Newport to make life easier for everyone but it seems like all I did was make everything more complicated

Theresa: (nods, hurt) that's funny...I thought you left Newport to be with me

Ryan: I did (smiles) alright I jus...i've just gotta make things right with Seth

Theresa: (shrugs) why...it's not like you abandoned him

Ryan: well actually it kinda is...I just...I just took off I didn't really talk to him about it I... (Theresa nods & puts her head down) look i'm only goin'to Portland what are you afraid i'm gonna lose my construction job

Theresa: (smiles) I mean its just a check up y'know there'll be alotto sitting around reading old TV guides listening to bad musak, my mom loves that stuff

(Ryan sighs and walks over to her, he stands behind her)

Ryan: (softly) you sure

Theresa: (turns around to face him) yeah (nods)

Ryan: alright (kisses her on the cheek) I gotta run

(Ryan leaves, Theresa nods and looks sad)
CUT TO: The mansion - Marissa is sun baking by the pool, and listening to music. Julie walks over to her {Marissa has such an 'I can't be bothered' attitude with Julie, it is so funny to watch}

Julie: Marissa... (nearer to her) ugh Marissa you're not even ready

(Marissa shakes her head and makes an ' I can't hear you' motion)

Julie: take your head phones off

(Marissa does it again, lol)

Julie: (yells) I said take your head phones off

(Marissa lays her head back down completely ignoring Julie. frustrated Julie pushes a button on the music player)

Marissa: (annoyed) uh I was listening to that mom

Julie: we were suppose'to leave for cardio bar fifteen minutes ago

Marissa: oh, right (lays back again,lol) sorry (starts her music again)

Julie: (had enough) (un plugs the player from the ear phones) fine, i'm taking this away an your grounded

Marissa: (stands up) what're you talking about! (takes off her sunnies) you can't ground me

Julie: I most certainly can because I will not spend another minute living like this, all summer long you've ignored me acting like I don't even exist

Marissa: (scoffs) I wish

Julie: (shocked) what'did you say (Marissa just looks at her) (closes her eyes) why do we have'ta keep doing this, honey instead of shutting me out just tell me what's bothering you

Marissa: you really wanna know what's bothering me, do you, do you really wanna know what's on my mind

Julie: yes

(Marissa looks at Julie and screams as hard as she can {for anyone that's seen the preview of season 2. this is that incredible scream} Marissa does one long scream, then one short one. Julie watches stunned. Marissa screams again and throws the sun lounge she was sitting on, into the pool. it scares Julie. then Marissa picks up the table and throws it into the pool here I think she screams 'good' or 'god' I cant work out which. Marissa turns and glares at Julie with a very angry look, then walks away. Julie just watches helplessly)

CUT TO: Carson's house - Sandy is on the phone to the DA in the living room

Sandy: ok well thanks for the heads up Otis, i'm gonna talk to Caleb as soon as I get back into town

Carson (at the front door) Sandy, your cabs here

Sandy: (softly) alright thanks (Sandy picks up his bag - camera changes and he is now outside headed towards his cab, Ryan gets out and Sandy is suprised)

Sandy: oh, I had a feeling i'd see you here

Ryan: what, are you leavin?

Sandy: (shrugs) I took my sh*t...good luck (walks to the cab) an thanks

(Ryan looks at him then walks towards the house)

CUT TO: Cohen house - Kirsten opens the front door and Summer is standing there with a pink crate full of stuff

Kirsten: Summer, hello

Summer: (smiles) hey Mrs. Cohen, can I come in

Kirsten: y- sure (Summer walks in) is everything ok

(Summer puts the crate down on the stairs)

Summer: i'm here to get over Seth!

Kirsten: excuse me

Summer: well my therapist said the best thing I can do to move on in my life is to divest myself of all of Seth's - material - possessions (Kirsten looks at her confused) I gotta dump off a bunch of his crap

Kirsten: (understands) oh right, got it

Summer: my therapist said that it's uh my best chance at ever again vibrating at a high frequency

Kirsten: (confused) vibrating at a high frequency

Summer: Lynn Grabhorn (Kirsten still doesn't follow) excuse me your life is waiting...(explains) human beings have an electro-chemical currency running through us which is effected by our emotions, when your feeling happy or joyful that current or energy (Kirsten is listening) is vibrating at a higher frequency then when your feeling...sad or angry at lets say Seth Cohen, when your vibrating at a higher frequency your more likely to attract happy people then when you are vibrating at a low, sad, bitter at Cohen frequency, its the law of attraction and physics (picks up the crate)

Kirsten: you know where'to find his room

Summer: (on the stairs) thanks

Kirsten: Summer, for the record, if he wasn't my son...i'd do the same thing (smiles)

(Summer smiles then goes up the stairs - the camera changes and Summer is now entering Seth's room. she walks in slowly and stops. she puts the crate down on the floor and picks up Captain Oats from the table)

Summer: (softly) I hope we can still be friends

(Summer sighs and puts him back on the table, she bends down and lifts the crate over to Seth's bed. she dumps everything out on the bed then sadly looks around his room, after a little while she walks out and shuts the door)

CUT TO: Carson's house - Luke and Seth are walking inside

Luke: what'do ya say Cohen first up madden football

Seth: dude when're you gonna give up the sports games

Luke: why would I do that (to Carson who is in the kitchen) hey dad is dinner ready yet

Carson: got the grill goin...and we've got another guest

Seth: yeah who is it this time, my mom

(Ryan walks out. Seth slowly looks up, Ryan looks at him)

Seth: you I would not have guessed (waves)

Luke: what's goin on Chino?

Ryan: how're you guys (smiles)

(Luke and Ryan shake hands)

Seth: uh y'know good (shakes Ryan's hand) i'm sure your probably here to do my fathers bidding...but um I don't know you might as well stay for a burger right

Ryan: yeah (smiles)

(Seth is now outside cooking on the grill, Ryan is inside looking out at him, he walks out)

Ryan: hey man

Seth: hey

Ryan: ah so you learned how ta work a grill, you got a step up on your mom

Seth: oh i've learned alot this summer Ryan

Ryan: Portland seems nice

Seth: yeah

Ryan: from the airplane anyway

Seth: yeah its awesome, real people real weather, cute girls to

Ryan: so you an Summer...

Seth: (frowns) mm not so good actually she'll uh she'll probably never speak to me again (Ryan looks at him sympathetic) ah it's probably best she moves on though I mean I don't think we're gonna be seeing to much of each other that I live here now

Ryan: listen man i'm sorry if I-if I caused y-

Seth: (waves it off) dude honestly stop, you did not make me leave Newport ok (Ryan looks at him) if anything the truth'a the matter is, you probably made me stay a year longer then I should have (shrugs) honestly like boarding school Portland whatever, I was outta there sooner or later, I mean me an The O.C are a truly beatable combination

Ryan: well its still a pretty big deal, I mean droppin outta school living up here

Seth: I don't know, it use'to be perfectly normal for teenagers to board tram(?) steamers an travel the country

Ryan: that was the depression, they were looking for work

Seth: hobos are hot again

Ryan: so there's no chance of you goin back to Newport

Seth: ...are you (Ryan doesn't say anything) well then y'know (goes back to grilling)

Ryan: yeah but Seth I can't

Seth: (turns around) neither can I (walks away)

(Ryan stands there thinking)

CUT TO: The mansion - Jimmy is standing out the front near the stairs and Julie goes over to him with a drink

Jimmy: I gotta admit Jules, you've done well for yourself, its everything you always wanted

Julie: (smiles) be careful what you wish for

Jimmy: thanks (drinks) so whats'a matter what's goin on

Julie: aside from our daughter being the spawn of chucky an Keith Moon

Jimmy: (shakes his head) she is definitely goin through a hard time right now

Julie: m Jimmy, you have no idea the level four melt down I witnessed, there was lawn furniture in the pool

Jimmy: sounds like it constitutes a level five

Julie: sad part is, its the most honest conversation we've had yet (Jimmy listens) thank god Kaitlin's going away to boarding school this is no environment for a child, Marissa however is going to be seriously screwed up for the rest of her life, permanent damage Jimmy, unless we do something

Jimmy: like what

Julie: provide her with some semblance of a normal family dynamic, maybe Sunday dinners you can come over here with um (thinks)

Jimmy: Hailey

Julie: right, right...you two are still...

Jimmy: yeah we're doin great she's fantastic, sweet, limber...how bout you an Caleb

Julie: not so limber (Jimmy laughs) (smiles)

Jimmy: uh...ill help the best I can ok

Julie: thankyou, and for the record...I am...happy for you

Jimmy: (laughs) for the record I don't believe you but...for Marissa's sake ill-ill pretend to

CUT TO: Cohen house - Sandy answers the door and Caleb is there. he walks in, agitated

Caleb: I can't believe you talked to the DA's office yesterday and we're just talking now

Sandy: I was tryin'a bring your grandson home, he's staying...thanks for asking

Caleb: he's staying...w-would you like me to talk to him, I can be quite persuasive

Sandy: you better rest up, an stock pile some'a that persuasiveness

Caleb: why, what'did the DA say

Sandy: (nods) the clouds have gathered Cal, it's about to rain down on ya...on all of us (Caleb looks at him) so put your storm windows in if you know what I mean

Caleb: that bad huh

Sandy: get your house in order, the Newport group, the family, do it soon

(Caleb stands there thinking)

CUT TO: Carson's house - we hear the phone ringing, and see an ice hockey video game on the TV. Luke, Seth and Ryan are sitting on the couch together

Luke: c'mon Chino, try an hurt me...huh...make me feel pain (Seth looks at him) wound me

Seth: (to Ryan) think of all the money Luke saves on therapy playin these games

Ryan: (softly) mm I think he should still consider therapy

Luke: (heard) oooh your gonna pay for that

Carson: Ryan, telephone

Ryan: uh (hands the controller to Seth) (stands) good luck

Seth: (to Luke) ill wound you

Luke: (in the background) show you what i'm made of Cohen

Seth: (in the background) ok

Ryan: (takes the phone, answers) hello

(Theresa is sitting on their bed)

Theresa: Ryan

Ryan: hey (frowns) what's wrong

Theresa: ...I went to the doctors...for the check up (teary) and they couldn't find a heart b*at...I lost the baby Ryan (Ryan listens, stunned) I guess in the first couple months this can happen

Ryan: ok uhh, ok i'm comin back i'm uh i'm gettin on the next flight and uh-

Theresa: no

Ryan: what

Theresa: I think...(upset) that maybe we should see this as a sign (Ryan listens) you know I think its a sign...Ryan your not happy with me, you haven't ben happy...the only reason you stayed is because of this baby...an now there isn't a baby

Ryan: you don't want me to come home

Theresa: ...you don't wanna come home

(we see Seth and Luke on the couch, Ryan comes into the sh*t just barely)

Seth: (turns around) hey, everything alright

(Seth and Luke both look at him)

Ryan: ...Theresa lost the baby...

(Ryan walks out of the room and Seth watches - camera changes and Ryan is now in a bedroom, he walks in and shuts the door, he walks over to the bed and sits down. he rubs his arm firmly. he's breathing heavily and his eyes are shut. he puts his head down, then lifts it up and opens his eyes, he has tears in his eyes {aww} we hear a knock then Seth walks in. he sits next to Ryan. Seth touches Ryan's back then just sits there with him not saying anything {you can tell Seth wants to be there for Ryan, but he's not sure how})

CUT TO: Theresa is still in their bedroom - she's upset and her mom opens the door

T's mom: did you tell him

(Theresa sniffs, then nods)

T's mom: (walks closer) did he believe you

Theresa: yeah I think so (sniffs) (T's mom sits next to her)

T's mom: it's for the best, for you an him, and for the baby

(Theresa nods then gets more upset, she hugs her mom and cries into her shoulder)

CUT TO: Carson's house - Ryan is outside on the balcony and Seth walks out and sits on the railing

Seth: what times your cab gettin here?

Ryan: any minute

Seth: ...what're you gonna do now

Ryan: I don't know, get my stuff outta Theresa's an...then i'm homeless again

Seth: have I sold you on the wonders of Portland (smiles) we could take our show on the road(?)

Ryan: I can't impose, besides I got this job...pays pretty well so...ill figure somethin out, what about you man

Seth: uh you know...jus keep teachin sailing, hang with Luke...his dads dating someone new so (laughs) that should be interesting

Ryan: sounds fun

Seth: plus you know...my parents are kinda ok with this now so its good cause y'know I don't have'to feel guilty or uh

Ryan: that's great man

Seth: (un convincingly) yeah its awesome (softly) it's awesome

(Luke comes to the door)

Luke: Chino your cabs here

(Seth looks at Ryan, the same look he had when Ryan left in 127 {aww - i also want to mention the song that plays through this scene is All The Arms Around You by Halloween Alaska, it is just so perfect for this scene and their situation})

Ryan: alright well (walks towards Seth) I guess this is it

Seth: (nods) hey don't be a stranger

Ryan: ...alright...see ya

(Ryan grabs his bag and walks away. Seth stays on the railing - we see Ryan walking out the front door, he starts walking towards the cab - Seth is thinking - Ryan walking to the cab - Seth thinking - we see Ryan from above getting close to the cab, as if Seth is looking at him from the balcony - Seth looks the other way and fidgets a little, we see his foot is going up and down like mad - we see Ryan from above, he's almost at the cab - Seth's foot still moving up and down - we see a close up of Ryan's head, then we see his hand on the cab door - we see Seth's foot quickly move out of the sh*t, and then we just see that Seth has jumped down from the railing, we then see inside the house, Seth runs through the kitchen and to the front door. he opens it and Ryan is standing on the other side - aww)

Seth: uh (laughs)

Ryan: (smiles) hey so uh I was thinkin

Seth: I was thinking too

(they both nod)

Seth: you know they don't even have a water polo team here, an that's jus gonna be a problem for me (nods) (Ryan blinks his eyes and nods) we don't have'to hug or anything like that right

Ryan: (shakes his head) nup

Seth: ok come on (motions for him to come inside)

(Ryan walks in and Seth has a huge smile on his face, he shuts the door)

CUT TO: Cohen kitchen - it's now night and Sandy and Kirsten are eating their dinner, neither are happy

Sandy: (swallows) I kinda like eating amongst the furniture it's...its cozy (Kirsten looks at him not impressed)

Seth: (heard in the background) hmm so we leave for like (Sandy and Kirsten both look up) three months you tear the whole place apart (Sandy gets up)

Kirsten: (suprised) your back! (Seth and Ryan both smile)

(Kirsten laughs, screams, runs and hugs both of them at the same time, they each have one hand on her back. Kirsten rubs both their backs)

Seth: there's a uh two for one special on brooding young men

Sandy: (to Ryan) are you comin back too

Ryan: uh yeah, yeah it's a long story but I figured this is where I belong so

Seth: yeah (hugs Sandy) (smiles) ah what he said (laughs)

(the four of them have huge smiles on their faces - aww)

Sandy: good, cause nobody leaves this family twice (Ryan and Sandy shake hands) welcome home

Ryan: thanks

CUT TO: The pool house - It is completely dark and Ryan opens the door. he walks in puts his bag down then turns the lights on, he turns around and shuts the door, just as he does Seth goes to walk in and the door squashes him,lol

Seth: hey, what's goin on (shuts the door)

(Ryan walks in and looks around)

Seth: alright (Ryan sighs) so, good to be back

Ryan: yeah, yeah it is, you

Seth: (shrugs) my room felt...so much smaller to me, I don't know or perhaps i've grown quite a bit in the last few months (Ryan frowns) Summer had ben there though she um... dumped everything an anything that reminded her of me so that should be really fun come Monday

Ryan: yeah, Mondays gonna suck (sighs)

Seth: do you need anything, want me to um (raises his eyebrows) fire up the grill because Ryan (points) I can do that

Ryan: no i'm good, i'm good, tired but good

Seth: well then (waves, and goes to leave)

Ryan: hey wait wait uh (Seth turns back) how'd you make it all the way to Portland from Newport in that little catamaran

Seth: (nods) mm (motions for him to sit) well Ryan si'down my son

(Ryan puts his hands together and nods his head, then sits on the bed)

Seth: (dramatic) it was a long an torturous journey and i'm not gonna...i'm not gonna sugar coat any'a the details for you

Ryan: please don't

Seth: cause we're friends (sits, sighs) first uh-hm I sailed to Catalina

Ryan: hm

Seth: then I sailed to Santa Barbara (Ryan raises his eyebrows) Santo Barbara I ran outta snacks, freaked out a little bit, pawned my boat for cash, took a grey hound ta Portland

Ryan: you took a bus

Seth: yeah, but don't say it like that it was a local ok have you ever ben on one'a those, not for the faint of heart

Ryan: (softly) I can't believe after all that you took a bus

Seth: yeah I think we're definitely gonna have'ta...come up with a better story for school though, that'd be good

Ryan: no, no I like the bus idea it's cool

Seth: ok but what about maybe um...(sniffs) boat sank saved by whales, its very whale rider

Ryan: what else you got?

Seth: I-I took the boat, boat sank saved by mermaids (heard as we fade out from the pool house) boat sank stranded on a desert island uh

(we fade out to a wide sh*t of the pool house and you can only just see them through the glass windows - fade out)