02x07 - The Family Ties

All episode transcripts for the TV show "The O.C.". Aired August 2003 - April 2007.*
Watch/Buy Amazon

A troubled youth becomes embroiled in the lives of a close-knit group of people in the wealthy, upper-class neighborhood of Newport Beach, Orange County, California.

02x07 - The Family Ties

Post by bunniefuu »

Opening scene - Cohen kitchen - Ryan is sitting at the kitchen table studying intently and Seth walks in looking at a photo album

Seth: hey man, what's goin on (looks up and sees)

Ryan: studying

Seth: (frustrated) will you punch someone please (Ryan looks at him) for old times sake (Ryan goes back to studying) alright fine algorithms are the new upper cut I got it (pulls out chair)

Ryan: hmm

Seth: (flicks through the photo album) wow (sits down) now I see it

Ryan: (looks up) see what

Seth: i've ben lookin through old photos of my mom (we see the photo he's referring to, Kirsten looks to be about the age Lindsay is now) lookin for resemblances to Lindsay, look at that (shows Ryan)

Ryan: (takes the album) (sighs) are you tryin'a make this more awkward for me (looks at the photo)

Seth: what! it's not like you dating Lindsay's full on incest, your not even really related (Ryan looks at him) (raises his eyebrows) well your not you wouldn't get arrested, you wouldn't have chromosomally challenged children (Ryan nods)

Ryan: Kirsten's like my mom Lindsay is (looks back at the photo) ...clearly her sister

Seth: (screws up his face) it is kinda weird

Ryan: (worried) ugh, the fact that your mom doesn't know that i'm dating her sister (raises his eyebrows) its alot weird

Seth: I think they did a storyline like this on The Valley once (gets up from the table)

Ryan: great, could you tell me how it ends then

Seth: well you just have to ask yourself the question Ryan, is she your girlfriend (points) or is she your aunt

(Sandy comes in)

Sandy: ah yes, the age old question (opens the fridge)

Seth: that's right, its the story as old as time really (Ryan looks at him) boy meets girl, boy likes girl (Sandy smiles) boy finds out girl is surrogate mothers illegitimate half sister (Ryan shuts the photo album, frustrated)

Sandy: i'm guessin its too soon ta joke Seth, even for a Cohen (Seth makes a funny face, as if to say I don't know. he's also now sitting at the counter)

Ryan: (gets up) (sighs) I jus don't know what to do you know, what to say

Seth: well have you talked ta Lindsay

Ryan: (sits with Seth at the counter) nah I wanted'a give her space over winter break, let her figure everything out

Sandy: (holds his hands out) that's all ya can do, an if she comes back an decides she wants to be part of this family-

Ryan: then we're done dating huh

Sandy: unless you wanna move to the South

Seth: mm

Sandy: uh- Kirsten doesn't know your seein Lindsay right

Ryan: she thinks we're just friends

Sandy: good cause I think its best if the Mrs. doesn't find out

(in the background we hear foot steps, Sandy looks towards the doorway. Kirsten walks in)

Kirsten: well that's something that every wife wants to hear... doesn't find out what

(Seth avoids looking at his mom, and Ryan looks down)

Sandy: how much I love you

Kirsten: (looks at Sandy with a 'please' expression) Sandy (Sandy kisses her head) (smiles)

Sandy: yes

Kirsten: you don't have'ta lie to me (Seth looks at Ryan, Ryan looks at Seth) I know that Renee's testimony is today an my fathers going free

at the same time:

Sandy: yeah

Seth: sharp as a tack, it's just like, laser beam

Ryan: that's it, cant get by you

Kirsten: but that doesn't mean I have'ta forgive him, not after what he did to Lindsay, that poor girl (walks passed Seth and Ryan to the kitchen table. Ryan turns to watch her) i've ben thinking, we should do something for her (sits) (Ryan, Sandy and Seth are all looking at her) this girl grew up not knowing wh-who she is or where she's from an we're her family

Ryan: if she wants us

Seth: (to Ryan, teasingly) oh she wants us

Ryan: I mean, you guys

Kirsten: well you too Ryan, your as much a part'a this family as any of us (Ryan looks worried) I mean if she's my sister (points) she's your aunt (Seth smiles)

Sandy: well thanks for clearin that one up honey

Kirsten: (smiles) actually she's so young, she's more like your sister

Seth: (looks at Ryan) oooh, hey (smiles) a sister I always wanted one'a those, Ryan how bout you (Ryan looks at Seth, overwhelmed by it all)

Theme song - California by Phantom Planet

Harbor school - Marissa and Summer are walking and talking in the student lounge

Summer: don't worry about it Coop, its no biggy

Marissa: what're you talking about, when Seth met your dad it almost ended the relationship

(they sit at a table together, with their coffees)

Summer: hm, well DJ meeting your dad can't be worse then when he met your mom (smiles)

Marissa: I suppose this time he will be wearing clothes

Summer: (thinks) hm I don't know, DJ without his clothes on, pretty undeniable (Marissa smiles) (laughs) look it'll be fine, your dads totally chilled, he wont judge

Marissa: it's just, he's the only sane person in my family, the only one who comes even close ta getting me (smiles) an I really want him to like DJ

(Zach walks in and sees Summer and Marissa sitting together, Seth walks passed and Zach stops him)

Zach: oh hey Seth (Seth turns around) what's up man

Seth: (suprised) hey (shakes Zach's hand) what's goin on man

Zach: hey, did you get my Christmas card

Seth: I did, I appreciate the apology

Zach: so uh, we're friends again then

Seth: (macho) we're real men kay, red blooded meat eaters, occasionally from time to time we're gonna brawl (shakes his head) it's our nature

Zach: so we can talk about stuff, confidential stuff an its cool

Seth: yeah listen man, after all the trouble I caused i'm happy to have the chance to help so come on

(they walk away from the student lounge)

Zach: ok um...while I was in Cabot uh with my family uh I ran into an old girlfriend and uh we were at squid row?, late and... an we kinda kissed

Seth: (suprised) (nods) alright well first question um, this old flame d'you still have feelings for her

Zach: well I really like her kids (Seth raises his eyebrows, shocked) uh she's a little older then me, she was my math tutor when I was fourteen (Seth screws his face up, even more shocked)

Seth: holy...eighties teen comedy plot

Zach: she's in the middle of a divorce, she had had alotta tequila, Chingy was playing

Seth: wh-wh-whoa, Chingy an Tequila (nods, points) seduction has no two finer allies

Zach: it was just a quick kiss an then I like ran outta there but (softer) I feel really guilty

Seth: well man if it was anybody else, I would say keep it to yourself you will lead a much happier life

Zach: (shakes his head) no I-I can't do that

Seth: I know, because you have a conscience or whatever so you gotta be honest with Summer then, tell her you feel terrible (Zach nods) an tell her that all it did was make you realise how much you like her...an definitely do not mention the ex having kids an multiple divorces, you should be fine

Zach: you think so

Seth: yeah it'll be good

Zach: an your not gonna...tell anyone are you

Seth: Zach, even if I wanted to the code (shakes his head) it dictates, I cannot (raises his eyebrows)

(the bell goes. we see Ryan walking in the hall, and he sees Lindsay)

Ryan: hey

Lindsay: (smiles) hey

Ryan: uhh (they hug awkwardly)

at the same time:

Ryan: how was your vacation

Lindsay: how have you ben

Ryan: (looks down) uh

(Lindsay looks down, they both smile and begin to walk)

Ryan: I wanted to call you I-

Lindsay: no...i'm...glad you didn't (Ryan looks at her) (explains) I-I mean, I wanted to talk to you but...I haven't really ben in the fame of mind to talk to anyone about anything

Ryan: (worried) not even your mom?

Lindsay: uhh not until i've completed several hundred hours of intense...psycho-therapy (nods) which was a very thoughtful gift from her by the way

Ryan: well if you need some more time, I mean...if you don't wanna hang out right now uh (frowns) or ever

Lindsay: uh I-I do (Ryan smiles) (laughs) we just need to find our own personal Switzerland (Ryan's still smiling) some place neutral, an we cant hang out at my house cause my moms there an...can't hang out at your house

Ryan: (unsure if he's using the right term) cause your sisters there...

Lindsay: (laughs) she's not...my um...I mean I guess technically she is but-

Ryan: jus so I can be clear on what everybody is to everybody, you an the Cohen's?

Lindsay: friends (nods) there my friends

Ryan: an me an you

Lindsay: more then friends...? (smiles)

Ryan: (nods) more then friends

Lindsay: an definitely not related (shakes her head) I don't want this to be like kissing your sister

Ryan: (looks at her) that thought never crossed my mind

(his expression is saying otherwise, he still looks unsure about the whole thing)

CUT TO: Sandy and Caleb driving in the car - they are driving next to the water, and Sandy is in the passenger seat

Caleb: gotta tell ya Sanford, you are one hell of a lawyer, the charges have ben dropped, the secrets of our situation have ben sealed by the courts, you did it (happy) i'm a free man

Sandy: (looks at Caleb) and a smug one too

Caleb: excuse me for wringing a little joy out of the one bit'a good news I had for some time

Sandy: yeah well never mind the fact that the news came at the expense'a your family (looks at Caleb) or did you fail to notice Kirsten's absence at the hearing thi'smorning

Caleb: no, I know i've got some work to do on my relationship with my daughter

Sandy: now which daughter are we talkin about (looks at Caleb)

Caleb: i'm not saying its goin'a be easy with Kirsten but, once I get back to work I can lighten her load

Sandy: whoa whoa, wait-wait-wait back to work

Caleb: now that the scandals gone there's no reason for me to distance myself from the Newport group

Sandy: (laughs) except for the fact that the woman running the company hates you

Caleb: which woman are we talkin about

CUT TO: Jimmy's yacht - Julie is talking to Kirsten on the phone. Jimmy is standing behind her with 2 drinks in his hands

Julie: (off screen) well I hope he's not expecting a party in his honor (on screen) yeah i'll-i'll see ya back at the office, bye Kirsten (hangs up)

Jimmy: he's free

Julie: (unenthusiastically) he's free (sits)

Jimmy: might have'ta spike these drinks, I don't know if there-there strong enough

Julie: (laughs) he uh he wont serve any jail time that's it it's just-

Jimmy: over...

Julie: (looks at Jimmy) what're we talking about here Jimmy, Caleb...or us

Jimmy: (drinks) hmm definitely not strong enough

Julie: well I (stands) should get back to the office...back to my life huh

(Julie looks at Jimmy, Jimmy looks back at her, Julie walks forward and kisses Jimmy on the cheek then starts to walk away)

Julie: (stops) but what if it wasn't my life (Jimmy looks at her) what if I could just...walk away from it

Jimmy: well that would depend on...what you were walking to

(Julie walks towards Jimmy and kisses him urgently, like she's been wanting to do it the whole time)

Julie: maybe we did need this time apart...to appreciate each other, what we had

Jimmy: but what if we...can't ever have it again

Julie: i'm willing to find out if you are

(Julie kisses Jimmy's neck and Jimmy looks as though he's thinking, Julie kisses him on the lips and Jimmy kisses back, they walk into the cabin while still kissing)

CUT TO: Harbor school - we see Lindsay walking towards the car park and she stops, we see what made her stop which is Kirsten standing next to the range rover. she walks over towards Lindsay

Kirsten: hi, I hope you don't mind me showing up like this, I was wondering if I could give you a ride home

Lindsay: oh uh (points) thanks but I have a car (starts walking, Kirsten walks beside her) a-an there's a better then fifty fifty chance (laughs) it'll actually start

Kirsten: uh I know there's no right way to do this, and FTD doesn't make a-

Lindsay: happy...suprise sister bouquet (smiles)

Kirsten: (nods/smiles) and uh I know your not on the market for any new relatives but, how bout a friend (shrugs) we could go grab a friendly cup'a coffee

Lindsay: yeah a...friendly cup'a coffee would be cool (nods)

CUT TO: The dock - Marissa and DJ are walking towards Jimmy's yacht

Marissa: you have nothing to be nervous about, it's gonna be great (rubs DJ's shoulder)

DJ: (excited) what's he into, does he like sports

Marissa: (fixes DJ's collar) uh he really likes ESPN classics

DJ: (looks ahead) is that your mom (Marissa looks)

(we see what they are seeing, which is Julie on the deck of Jimmy's yacht, Jimmy comes up behind her and grabs her shoulders. we then see a close up of DJ, then a very shocked/confused Marissa. we see Julie and Jimmy kissing in each others arms. we see another close up of Marissa, she is staring at her parents in disbelief. she grabs DJ's hand and leads him away from the yacht)

CUT TO: Alex's apartment - Seth knocks on the door

Seth: (yells) Alex its Seth (knocks again) come on I came over to welcome you back (knocks) (door opens) (suprised) you've really changed...over break wow

(we see what Seth is seeing, which is a shirtless guy, who looks really out of it)

Guy: who are you

Seth: ahh just um a guy, I probably have the wrong apartment sorry (walks away)

Alex: (off screen) Seth

(shirtless guy goes back inside and Alex stands at the door, she looks just as out of it)

Seth: (walks back) hey

Alex: (frowns) what're you doing here

Seth: I came over to say hi, see how your vacation was...I didn't realise I need to bring my own tourniquet

Alex: sorry (walks outside with rubbish) I just I didn't...expect you to be here...especially so early in the morning I

Seth: it's...three thirty in the afternoon, family vacations really take it out of ya huh

Alex: oh yeah I-I bailed on family early, jus came back to catch up with old friends (puts the rubbish in the bin)

Seth: wait, so you've ben back for a while an you didn't...I don't know call me

Alex: i've ben catching up with old friends

Seth: who? the large shirtless guy (points) that answered the door, ? ass not remotely jealous

Alex: you know I am...so hung over right now I jus think-

Seth: are you (touches her arm) (concerned) well have you-have you-have you eaten anything, you want me ta maybe put some coffee on or fix you a sandwich

Alex: (looks at Seth) fix me a sandwich

(a girl walks out of the door, also out of it)

Girl: hey Alex (Alex looks towards her just as 2 more guys walk out) we're gonna go grab some smokes an some more beer so we'll be right back

Alex: ok

Seth: (sort smiles at the friends as they walk passed) ok i'm tryin'a do the math here and uh (Alex yawns) well I have a few questions

Alex: I will (walks backwards towards the doorway) answer all of your questions tonight at the Modest Mouse concert kay (Seth looks at her) it's just my head (frowns) is...k*lling me an (swallows) so it was nice to see you (Seth gives up) really nice of you to stop by (nods) really nice (shuts the door)

CUT TO: Cohen kitchen - Sandy, Ryan and Seth are all cooking/preparing dinner. Sandy is standing at the counter chopping vegies, and Seth puts a pot of water on the stove. Ryan takes cucumbers to the counter to peel them, Seth stands between Sandy and Ryan near the corn

Seth: nice, she kept saying the word nice, you know what that means don't you

Sandy: aww, she thinks you're nice

Seth: yeah exactly nice, as in lacking any edge, and or danger

Ryan: yeah, well you did offer ta fix her a sandwich

Seth: (cringes) ugh I know, it's like the more edgy an dangerous she became the more I became like a...Jewish grandmother

Sandy: not your grandmother (stern) keep shuckin Seth I want dinner ready by the time your mother gets home

Seth: (slams the corn on the counter and holds it at Sandy like a w*apon) (tries to be a 'bad boy') HEY (Ryan looks up) (yells) maybe I don't feel like shuckin these ok an maybe you should go an shuck'em yourself old man (stomps his foot)

(Ryan looks at Seth, Seth points the corn at Sandy again trying to keep up the bad boy routine. Sandy looks at Seth then begins to laugh, Ryan also laughs)

Ryan: (still laughing) that was good

(Seth puts the corn down on the counter, frustrated)

Sandy: (still laughing) y-ya had me shakin in my boots

Seth: yeah, i'm so screwed, Bruce Banner gets mad he turns inta the Hulk, I get mad I turn inta like a seventy five year old...yenta, named Sylvia

(Kirsten comes in with shopping bags then walks into the kitchen)

Kirsten: hey, look at all this, you guys makin dinner (smiles)

Sandy: (shrugs) we wanted'ta suprise ya

Kirsten: I have a little suprise myself, look who's joining us

(Lindsay comes into view with more shopping bags. Ryan looks over to her, suprised)

Sandy: ooooh

Kirsten: we were having coffee an an (Lindsay smiles) and uh we were talking an then we did a little shopping, alotta shopping

Lindsay: yeah

Kirsten: and uh next thing you know it was dinner time

Lindsay: (unsure) I hope you guys don't mind me crashing

Sandy: no, no no not at all

Seth: no I think dinner with all of us will be really nice (looks at Ryan) don't you Ryan

(Ryan looks at Lindsay, Lindsay looks at Ryan, Kirsten smiles oblivious, Ryan looks at Seth)

Ryan: nice, yeah...

(Lindsay smiles then looks down)

CUT TO: Jimmy's yacht - Jimmy is on the deck and Marissa walks up to him

Jimmy: hey, kiddo

Marissa: (softly) hey

Jimmy: why did you an DJ cancel on me today (hugs Marissa) I was lookin forward'a meetin him

Marissa: it just...wasn't a good time, I had alotta homework an he was really tired... (Jimmy's back is facing her) you were busy making out with mom

Jimmy: (turns around) what (Marissa looks at him) Marissa, that-that what

Marissa: dad! I saw you

Jimmy: (sighs) ok, look (sits) I know how...it must'a looked

Marissa: yeah, it looked alot like it use to when you would kiss mom (Jimmy sighs) but you know that was before she was married ta someone else

Jimmy: look I wanted to talk to you about it, we both wanted to talk-

Marissa: (upset) how could you get back together with her, I mean don't you remember how she ruined your life (raises her eyebrows) an mine

Jimmy: ...well things are different now

Marissa: (tears in her eyes) oh really, so your not back to lying, cheating an sneaking around again (Jimmy looks at her) I thought you were passed that (Jimmy looks down) I thought you were gonna take this new money an start over

Jimmy: please let me-let me-let me explain

Marissa: what's there to talk about (more upset) we already know how it ends, we already lived through this once (Jimmy puts his head down, not saying anything) ...you know for once I wish you would just grow up an be like a real dad (walks away)

(Jimmy watches Marissa leave, then puts his head in his hands)

CUT TO: The pool house - Seth is going through Ryan's clothes, wearing one of Ryan's wife beaters and a pair of jeans. Ryan comes through the door

Ryan: (confused) what - are you doing

Seth: hey I just uh I needed ta borrow a wife beater for tonight an I thought you had several so

Ryan: yeah, yeah-yeah (frowns) an why are you wearing it

Seth: well, Alex she called me nice Ryan so what i'm tryin'a do is cultivate more of a...more of a bad boy image

Ryan: (looks at Seth {he looks rediculous, lol}) yeah I don't think that's gonna get the job done

Seth: your right (clicks his fingers) I need to borrow your wrist cuff, oh hey also (points) d'you remember that choker you use to wear

Ryan: (puts out his hand) no, just...no

Seth: alright, your extra (sits on the step) broodish, what's up man is the Lindsay thing still bothering you

Ryan: not at all, I mean (sighs) we had a really nice (sits) family dinner

Seth: I know, I thought so (Ryan nods, then looks at Seth) which is part of the problem, right, got it

Ryan: there shouldn't be a problem, I mean Lindsay wants to hang out with the sister she never knew she had I can't stand in the way...or make it all about me right

Seth: no, that's somethin I would do (thinks) which is perfect because your becoming more like me (Ryan looks at him) which paves the way for me ta become the brooding bad boy (points)

Ryan: you realise we're both screwed

Seth: dude, i'm wearin a wife beater

CUT TO: The Bait Shop - we see a bit of Modest Mouse performing on stage and then we see Seth, Lindsay and Ryan enter up the top. we see more of the band then we see Seth walking towards the bar down the bottom, which Alex is working behind

Seth: hey

Alex: ah, hello (looks up)

(Seth is holding a silver flask and Alex notices)

Alex: what's that

Seth: what's what, oh this (opens the flask and sniffs it) (plays it cool) this is my good friend John

Alex: John...

Seth: yeaaah, he's a good friend'a mine

Alex: (frowns) what's John

Seth: no I said, I said I said Jim...or uh no, no, I meant, what I meant to say was Jack, there all my friends

(Seth takes a drink and Alex watches him, enjoying it. Seth turns away from her and screws up his face {because he doesn't like it} then swallows before turning back to face Alex)

Seth: yeaaah (puts the lid back on) that ought'a take the edge off right there

Alex: (sarcastic) yeah you guys seem real friendly

Seth: super friendly, so if you need me i'm gonna be drinkin by the speaker (shakes his head) cause I don't care about tonight its, ok

(Alex looks at him, then Seth does some weird motions with his hands, including the piece sign, then walks off. we see a bit more of the band performing)

CUT TO: Cohen living room - Sandy and Kirsten are sitting on one couch, and Jimmy is sitting opposite them on another

Jimmy: uhhh i've got terrible news...really i've fallen in love with my ex wife

Sandy: (suprised) you were married before Julie

Kirsten: (understands) your in love with Julie

Sandy: (to Kirsten) I don't believe that

Kirsten: (to Sandy) oh unfortunately I do (to Jimmy) Jimmy, after everything she did to you before

Jimmy: I know, that's what Marissa said

Sandy: (suprised) Marissa knows

Jimmy: ...she caught us

(Kirsten and Sandy both look at Jimmy, worried)

Jimmy: an the things she said (shakes his head) well...there all true (Kirsten looks at him) look heres the deal (Sandy looks at him) I cant be here an be with Julie...but right now (sighs) I...(shakes his head) I cant be here an...not - be with Julie

Kirsten: (softly) what're you saying

Jimmy: (sighs) when Hailey left...I felt adrift (Kirsten looks at him, concerned) so I made some calls ta see what was out there and I came across this company that charters yachts, for sale (Sandy closes his eyes) ...in Maui

Kirsten: (shocked) your leaving!

Jimmy: yeah...I need to get away from here before I do anymore damage to myself, or to my kids (Sandy looks at him) or ta-ta Julie (Kirsten looks away) I love Newport but its-its (shakes his head) no good for me right now (Kirsten still wont look at him) in the last year i've nearly ben arrested an bankrupt for stealing from my clients (Sandy closes his eyes) I got punched out at my daughters cotillion, I lost my house (raises his eyebrows) my family (to Kirsten) I tried to kiss you (to Sandy) which I-I I still feel terrible about (Sandy looks down) I spent the summer drunk on a boat with your twenty five year old sister (Kirsten still wont look at him) an now i'm getting back together with the woman who-who started this in the first place... (Sandy looks at him) I just can't stay here any longer I-I just can't do it (Kirsten still isn't looking at him, but she looks upset)

Sandy: so, when would you go

Jimmy: well they faxed over a contract a couple'a weeks ago all I have'ta do is sign it an...its mine (Kirsten looks at him) couple'a days an (Sandy looks at him)...i'm history

(we change to a close up of Jimmy looking at them both)

CUT TO: The Bait Shop - we see the band still performing on stage, then we see Ryan and Lindsay together watching the concert, the camera shows a close up of their hands just as Lindsay tries to hold Ryan's. Ryan sticks out his little finger so that's all she can hold, they raise their hands up so we can see their faces and Lindsay looks at their hands as if to say 'you've gotta be kidding me?'

Lindsay: you're giving me the pinky

Ryan: (looks at Lindsay) i'm...not really inta public displays of affection

Lindsay: alright (grabs Ryan's hand) lets go, outside, we gotta talk

(Lindsay pulls a reluctant Ryan out of the sh*t. we then see Summer and Zach coming off the stairs)

Zach: so, too bad Coop couldn't make it

Summer: um Zach only I can call her Coop its kinda weird when you say it

Zach: got it, too bad Marissa couldn't make it

Summer: i'd be freaking out to if my mom an dad were getting back together an like kept this huge secret from me

Zach: yeah, so um we haven't had a chance to talk about our winter breaks yet

Summer: (enthusiastic) I know

(a very drunk Seth comes up to them)

Seth: (screams) oy, Modest Mouse (claps his hands)

Summer: (yells) ok - volume - Cohen, it's not Metallica

Seth: (still loud) no its-it's not Metallica its Modest Mouse

(Summer looks at Seth, Seth puts his arm around her shoulder)

Summer: eww your like so sweaty (frowns) come here, wait (smells his breath) your breath smells like Marissa, you are so drunk!

Seth: (to Zach) so hey, you guys are hangin out that's cool (Summer smiles) I guess she was cool with it right (Summer's smile goes) (Zach looks at Seth)

Summer: (confused) cool with what

Seth: the tutor

Zach: (looks at Summer, then Seth) thanks Seth

Seth: (oblivious to what he just did) you're welcome! (puts his arm around Zach) welcome (puts his arm around Summer again)

(Summer looks at Zach, confused. Zach looks at Summer worried. Seth says something about vomit but I can't make it out, sorry. we see more of the band)

CUT TO: Outside the Bait Shop - Lindsay comes out and Ryan follows her

Ryan: uh th-there really good so whats'a matter

Lindsay: no, you're the matter, I mean you've ben weird all night, you've ben weird pretty much since I showed up for dinner which (laughs) by the way was weird for me too

(they stop next to a railing)

Ryan: well what happened ta Switzerland

Lindsay: (shakes her head) I don't know Kirsten wanted to hang out an an...she's really cool

Ryan: she is an if you wanna hang out with her you should...but...if the Cohen's are really my family then... (Lindsay looks at him) you...are my family

Lindsay: which means kissing me...was like kissing your sister or (frowns) (Ryan frowns) step aunt

(Alex comes out of the bait shop)

Alex: (yells) Ryan, you have'ta take Seth home right now, he is wasted an leaving a path of destruction in his way

(Lindsay looks at Ryan, Ryan looks at Alex and puts his hand up as if to say 'ok, got it'. Summer and Zach come out, fighting)

Summer: (angry) I - cannot - believe you, an I cannot believe that you told Cohen

Alex: (behind Summer & Zach) see, and he puked all over the merchandise table which I now have'ta go an mop up

(Alex goes back inside, Ryan looks at Lindsay, Lindsay sort of makes a 'go, its ok' motion at him)

CUT TO: Cohen drive way - Ryan and Seth pull up in the drive way. Seth is still very drunk (not to mention hilarious)

Seth: oooh, I know who lives here

Ryan: yeah that's right

Seth: it's the Cohen residence in the hezee

Ryan: (leans over towards Seth) shhh (whispers) ok ok we gotta be really stealth here

Seth: hey, I was all camp capture the flag (Ryan tries not to laugh) camp Takaho I invented the stealth

Ryan: that's right, you did

Seth: I sure did

Ryan: (whispers) but your yelling, you need'a be quiet

Seth: I haven't ben this wasted (laughs) (whispers) since your first night in Newport (opens the door) when we b*at up those kids (louder) with a little bit, a little bit'a that (puts his fists up) (Ryan nods) an a little bit'a that (Seth tries to get out of the car) little bit'a that, that

Ryan: (leans over) ? your seatbelt, seatbelt

(Seth falls out of the car, and there is a huge bang. Ryan quickly gets out of the car. just as he does Sandy comes out of the house)

Sandy: what's goin on (Ryan looks at him) you guys are ok (we hear more crashing) Seth

(Seth appears from beside the car, Ryan looks at him)

Seth: (to Sandy) shhhh (puts his finger to his mouth) (whispers) we're being stealth (Sandy looks at him, not impressed) shhhh

(Ryan looks at Sandy, Seth gets up on the hood of the car and sort of rolls over it then comes off and does like a pose {its soooo funny to watch!}

CUT TO: Jimmy's yacht the next day - Jimmy and Marissa are there together. Marissa is sitting down and Jimmy is standing near her

Jimmy: look everything you said yesterday (sighs) you were right, i'm making the same mistakes all over again with your mom

Marissa: (looks at Jimmy) so your gonna end it (hopeful)

Jimmy: (nods) yeah, yeah I am (sits next to her)

Marissa: (happy) well that's great dad (hugs him)

Jimmy: but its uh its-its it's more complicated then that, I um I-I need to get...some perspective on the world or- or something (sighs) your right, I need to learn how'ta be a real dad (Marissa looks down) ...so i'm...uh leaving

Marissa: (looks at Jimmy, stunned) ...what

Jimmy: yeah i'm moving ta...Maui

Marissa: (looks at Jimmy, then looks away upset) that's your idea of being a real dad, abandoning me an moving to Hawaii

Jimmy: (looks at Marissa) its not forever, its only for six months maybe (sighs) you can come visit any time you want (Marissa looks down then closes her eyes)

Marissa: (scoffs, stands) well good luck with that...I mean I hear Maui's beautiful (Jimmy looks at her, Marissa walks passed him)

Jimmy: uh you know there's gonna be a (Marissa stops and looks at him) a goodbye party, tonight at the Cohen's (Marissa looks at him) (worried) are you ok

Marissa: ah-huh (shrugs) totally (Jimmy looks at her) I mean you were the last thing keeping me sane so when you leave it should be interesting to see how things go (raises her eyebrows) (Jimmy looks at her) but uh ill see you tonight (walks away)

(Jimmy sighs and looks worried, then he watches Marissa leave)

CUT TO: The pool house - Ryan is sitting in the chair reading and a very hung over Seth comes to the door in his pj's and robe. in the background we can see caterers etc preparing for Jimmy's party

Seth: hello (walks in) (Ryan looks up) (over dramatic) jus came by to tell you i'm dying an...thankyou for your friendship (sits on the bed) ooooooh (slowly lies back) slowly, slowly, an also to apologise for whatever happened last night

Ryan: well you don't have to apologise to me...did you...talk ta Zach

Seth: no, why

Ryan: ah you kinda destroyed his relationship with Summer

Seth: (realises) ooh I violated the code of man

Ryan: (amused) ah (points) talked to Alex

Seth: she won't answer my calls

Ryan: hmm might have somethin to do with all the vomit

Seth: all the vomit, how much vomit...like the little girl in Sixth Sense or the fat guy in Monty Python

Ryan: well, you wanted'a be a bad boy (stands) you did bad

Seth: yeah but not in a good way, I gotta talk to Alex (sits up) show her I can be good bad boy, not a bad bad boy (stands)

Ryan: (takes asprin out of the cupboard) mm-hmm, good luck with that, aspirin (throws them to Seth, but he doesn't catch them)

Seth: (looks at Ryan) thankyou
CUT TO: Cohen kitchen - there are caterers in the cleaning glasses. Kirsten comes in

Kirsten: you have lobster rolls right (girls nod) he loves lobster rolls

(Seth slowly comes into the kitchen from the backyard)

Kirsten: oooh, if it isn't my son the wino

Seth: you guys found out

Kirsten: you weren't exactly stealth

Seth: damn, lost a step? since Takaho

Kirsten: your dads ben waiting for you to leave the room so he can send you back to it

(they are now in the hallway)

Seth: that's great, um I know I should probably be use to this at this point but uh, why are we having a party

Kirsten: oh, its Jimmy Coopers going away party

Seth: oh, ok wow great then i'm gonna run a quick errand real fast an i'm gonna come straight home

(Sandy comes in)

Sandy: you're not goin anywhere

Seth: dad i'm grounded, I get it, I deserve it ok, uh even though this headache is jus far worse then any punishment that you could administer

Sandy: (shakes his head) no

Seth: I need to go, see a girl, very fast then I will come straight home

Sandy: now which girl is this, the one who thinks you're too nice, the one you were tryin to impress by drinkin a fifth'a Jack

Seth: (frowns) I think his name is John but yes an dad it went horribly ok so I jus need'a talk to her really fast an I need'a you know sorta may-

Kirsten: go upstairs an get dressed

Seth: (sighs) you know what maybe if i'm grounded I shouldn't go to this party (Kirsten and Sandy both look at him, Sandy motions up the stairs) i'm gonna go get dressed (looks at the stairs) stairs (sighs)

CUT TO: Summer's room - Summer is getting ready for the party and there is a knock at the door. Summer opens the door and Zach is standing there

Zach: (smiles) hi (Summer isn't happy to see him) I got you something (hands a book to her) it's the novelisation of the Valley season one

Summer: hmm, I have the hard cover signed by Grady Bridges (hands it back) I should go

Zach: no (walks in) that's why i'm here I wanted'a give you a ride

Summer: um actually i'm gonna go alone

Zach: you're goin by yourself

Summer: Han-Solo (raises her eyebrows) ok but if I change my mind ill have Cohen get drunk an let you know (walks passed Zach) bye

Zach: Summer come on

Summer: (stops and turns around) hooking up with your tutor, Zach, not even that cool in the eighties, I mean she could of at least ben a hooker an helped ya get inta Princeton (cheesy grin) (leaves)

(Zach watches her leave, and then closes his eyes in disbelief)

CUT TO: Cohen backyard/Jimmy's party - we see all different people standing/sitting around with food and drink, we then change to the front door. Kirsten opens it. Julie and Caleb are standing there

Kirsten: hey Julie

Caleb: Ki- err Kirsten (Kirsten drinks her drink) sad day saying goodbye to Jimmy Cooper hm (Kirsten starts to walk away) why I remember when he was a boy, taking him out on the boat (Julie follows Kirsten) inviting him over (laughs, raises his eyebrows) ta have dinner

(Caleb walks away and we see Seth coming down the stairs, Ryan walks passed)

Seth: so, listen ill see you in a few i'm gonna slip out for a while, try an fix things with Alex

Ryan: what about your parents

Seth: there scary, which is why I need you (points) ta cover for me, ok just throw up the smoke screen, give em some'a that famous Ryan Atwood double talk (nods)

Ryan: I...barely talk

Seth: good point, the less said the better (goes to leave)

Ryan: I-I don't think this is a good idea man

Seth: (looks at Ryan, shocked) an you call yourself a bad boy (walks out the door)

CUT TO: The backyard - Sandy goes over to Jimmy

Sandy: Jimbo (Jimmy smiles) i'm sorry we couldn't get a better turn out for you (hands him a drink)

Jimmy: well, considering I defrauded most'a my closest friends (Sandy laughs) it's not bad

Sandy: (nods) i'm gonna miss ya Jimmy

Jimmy: uh well, thanks Sandy (holds up his drink to Sandy)

(they book look over to where Julie is standing by herself inside)

Sandy: how'd she take the news

Jimmy: iiiii haven't...talked to her yet (sighs)

(Julie starts walking towards them)

Sandy: good luck with that (to Julie) hey Julie (walks away)

Jimmy: uh-hm

Julie: (upset) we're you jus gonna send me a postcard, I wouldn't of known you were leaving if Kirsten hadn't invited me to your going - away - party

Jimmy: of course I was gonna tell you (touches her shoulder) can-can can we talk about this (Julie is angry) some place a little more private, please

(Jimmy leads her inside and Ryan walks passed them into the living room. Kirsten and Lindsay are together)

Kirsten: oh hi, look who stopped by (points to Lindsay)

Lindsay: (waves/smiles) hey Ryan

Ryan: (waves back) hey Lindsay (smiles)

Kirsten: uh i'm gonna go grab some champagne, you two have fun

Lindsay: thanks

Ryan: alright

(Kirsten leaves. Ryan and Lindsay start walking)

Lindsay: now we're...waving at each other

Ryan: I thought you agreed, Kirsten can't find out about us right

Lindsay: right, cause then it might be weird

(Caleb comes up behind them)

Caleb: (to Ryan) Ryan have you seen-

(they turn around and look at Caleb)

Caleb: Lindsay, hello

Lindsay: (softy) hi (waves)

Caleb: excuse me I didn't mean to interrupt, ill find Julie myself, good to see you (Lindsay looks at him)

(Caleb walks away)

Lindsay: (whispers) bye dad

Ryan: yeah, this isn't gonna be weird at all (looks at Lindsay out of the corner of his eyes)

CUT TO: Sandy and Kirsten's bedroom - Julie is sitting on the seat in front of the bed, and Jimmy is standing in front of her

Jimmy: did you really think that this was going somewhere

Julie: (upset) I don't know Jimmy, I was under the impression that this meant something

Jimmy: oh it did (Julie looks at him) it...does...but, did you really think it was gonna last

Julie: (hurt) you really think that I would leave you again

Jimmy: well...history isn't exactly...working in your favor on that one (Julie looks down) plus you deserve ta be happy with Caleb

Julie: oh yeah that's a story book romance with our illegitimate children an our tapped phone lines

Jimmy: at least it's real

(Julie looks at Jimmy, Jimmy looks at Julie. Julie looks at Jimmy then puts her head down and starts to cry)

Jimmy: Jules (sits next to Julie, and holds her) Jules

(Julie puts her head on Jimmy's chest, and Jimmy puts his arms around her, rubbing her back)

Julie: you gotta go so soon

Jimmy: (sighs) I think it's probably best I go before anyone knows why i'm going

(Kirsten comes in. Julie sits up and rubs her eyes)

Kirsten: oh uh i-i'm-i'm s-sorry I didn't mean ta...

Julie: it's fine, we're just...saying our goodbyes (stands)

(Jimmy stands)

Julie: see ya James (holds her hand out)

Jimmy: so long Jules

(Kirsten watches, sad. Julie leaves the room and Jimmy watches)

CUT TO: The backyard - Summer is sitting at a table by herself, clearly bored. Ryan and Lindsay come over to her

Ryan: hi

Summer: (looks over) hey, people I know

(Lindsay sits down, Ryan sits between her and Summer)

Ryan: yeah (Lindsay smiles) where's Zach

Summer: he couldn't - make it, where's Cohen

Ryan: uh he's hurting, from last night

Summer: well i'd like to hurt him for last night

(Ryan and Lindsay look uncomfortable)

Summer: (raises her eyebrows) kind of a boring party

Ryan: yeah

Lindsay: yeah

(we see Marissa come out into the backyard, pulling DJ behind her. Marissa looks out of it. when she talks, you realise she's drunk)

Ryan: (notices) not for long

(Summer and Lindsay look over. Marissa and DJ walk over to Julie. DJ tries to stop her)

Marissa: (to DJ) i'm fine (DJ looks at her, worried) (to Julie) well if it isn't (puts her arm around Julies shoulder) the wicked witch'a the West Coast

Julie: (looks at Marissa) are you drunk

(Marissa laughs/smirks at Julie, DJ looks at Marissa then Julie looks accusingly at DJ)

Julie: (to DJ) let me guess Tequila

DJ: she was like this when I picked her up

Marissa: (to DJ) you don't have'ta defend yourself to her

Julie: (to Marissa) no but you do young lady

Marissa: (scoffs) oh come on lets go DJ (pulls him away) before she tries to sleep with you next

Julie: what'did you say

Marissa: (stops and turns around) you heard me you whore

(Julie stares at Marissa, stunned by what she said. Marissa glares back at Julie {you can see she meant every word} Julie looks at Marissa. Summer looks at Marissa, worried. Ryan stands up. Jimmy goes over to Marissa and Julie)

Jimmy: (softly) hey hey guys not here

Marissa: (to Jimmy) no lets do it here ok

(Jimmy looks at Marissa, Julie looks at Marissa then Jimmy, DJ looks at Marissa worried)

Marissa: you know what lets tell everyone why you're leaving dad, why don't you tell everyone why you're leaving (Jimmy sighs) huh

(Summer, Ryan and Lindsay watch, worried)

Jimmy: please Marissa just-

Marissa: (yells) hellloooo everybody (waves her arm in the air)

Julie: (grabs Marissa's arm) let's go Marissa, your drunk

Marissa: (pulls her arm away) (yells at Julie) get off'a me (pushes Julie)

(Julie stares at Marissa, stunned. Marissa stares at Julie with hate in her eyes)

Jimmy: (softly) guys, come on

Julie: (to Jimmy) do you see what your leaving me with, you see how screwed up she is

Marissa: (to Julie) well of course i'm screwed up, i'm the daughter of a thief an a slut

(Jimmy and Julie stare at Marissa, stunned by what she said)

Marissa: (upset) you know what I just... (Jimmy & Julie both look at her) I just hate you both so much

(Marissa walks away, and DJ follows her. Summer looks over at Marissa, worried. Ryan watches Marissa leave, helpless. DJ runs after Marissa. Jimmy looks in Marissa's direction then looks at Julie. Julie looks at Jimmy)

CUT TO: Sandy's bar - Kirsten and Jimmy are there together

Kirsten: you wanted a good old fashioned OC party

Jimmy: (sighs) I jus hope she's ok, an she calls...as bad as I thought she'd take it that was...worse

Kirsten: (pours them both a drink) well its gonna be hard for her...for all of us (smiles)

Jimmy: I was hoping that while i'm gone (Kirsten looks at him) you'd go over to the house an check up on her

Kirsten: my father lives in that house Jimmy

Jimmy: I know, that's why I want you ta go there (Kirsten drinks) I need to know that someone is watching over her

Kirsten: (looks at Jimmy) for my oldest friend...anything

(Jimmy looks at her, Kirsten sighs then hugs him)

Kirsten: (laughs) I cant believe this, if we had gotten married...i'd be moving to Hawaii (laughs)

Jimmy: no (shakes his head) if i'd married you (sighs) there's no way I would'a left

(Kirsten looks down then smiles, she takes another drink of her drink)

CUT TO: Outside the front of the Cohen's - Julie and Caleb are waiting for Caleb's car to be brought around

Julie: I jus wanna get the hell outta here

Caleb: (looks at his watch) where did they park my car, Irvine

Guy: uh excuse me Mr. Nichol uh...there's a problem with your car

Caleb: you've scratched my Aston Martin

Guy: ...uh your car has ben stolen

(Julie looks at Caleb, Caleb doesn't look impressed)

CUT TO: Outside of Alex's apartment - there is a silver sports car in the driveway, and Seth and Alex are standing near it

Alex: wow, whose car is that

Seth: this (points) its mine Alex I stole it

Alex: you stole a car

Seth: yep, I do that sometimes Alex (Alex looks at him) I do it for kicks

Alex: are you tryin to impress me or something

Seth: what

Alex: you know with getting drunk an stealing cars an, it's just...Seth...i've ben with alot of bad boys...and...you...are not one of em

Seth: (screws up his face) right (Alex smiles) (sighs) (starts to leave) well i'm jus gonna make a bun cake an put on some tea, see ya later

Alex: no, Seth, you're a good guy...an that's why I like you

Seth: really (Alex smiles/nods) well that's good because I don't think this whole bad boy things really workin out for me (Alex smiles)

(police cars pull up in the background. Seth and Alex see)

Alex: me neither...

Cop: is this your vehicle sir

(Alex looks away, Seth just looks at the police officer)

CUT TO: Summer's room - Zach is sitting on her floor listening to the 'happy high vibrations' cd. Summer opens the door and is suprised to see him there

Summer: what're you still doing here

Zach: um (turns off the cd, stands) your step mom blocked my car in (Summer looks at him) I tried to wake her up but is she like...alive

Summer: (closes her eyes) yeah, just heavily medicated

Zach: uh h-how was the party

Summer: I don't know, maybe I should hire you a tutor an she can catch ya up on everything (walks passed Zach)

Zach: ...look, i've had alotta time ta sit here vibrating at a very high frequency an think and...I realised (walks closer to her) this is a really important moment for us (Summer is listening) this is our first fight that wasn't about Cohen, I mean he helped but this fight its ours

Summer: I guess that's true

Zach: i'm really sorry, it didn't mean anything, believe me

Summer: (sincerely) it's not about what happened Zach, its jus that you didn't tell me you told Cohen

Zach: an from now on ill tell you everything

Summer: why (raises her eyebrows) planning on screwing up again

Zach: (smiles) only one way ta find out (raises his eyebrows)

(Summer shrugs then smiles at him, Zach smiles back)

CUT TO: The pool house - Lindsay and Ryan walk inside

Lindsay: we finally have a moment alone

Ryan: yeah, maybe a (motions for her to sit) chance to talk about everything

(they both sit on the end of the bed. the camera is angled so that we can see the backs of them)

Lindsay: (turns to Ryan) you know what (Ryan looks at her) I don't want to...we keep hypothesising how kissing me might be like...kissing your sister and...I think we should just find out

Ryan: (looks at Lindsay) ...so you...want me to kiss you as an experiment (smiles)

Lindsay: (laughs) yeah, and if it truly is weird...well then that's our answer

Ryan: ok

Lindsay: uh (closes her eyes) no uh pressure

Ryan: right

(they both slowly lean towards each other, they kiss lightly then all of a sudden it becomes heated {clearly its not like kissing his sister} they get more urgent and then there is a knock at the door. they pull apart and try to act as if nothing happened. Lindsay chews on her finger. Kirsten opens the door and stands in the door way)

Kirsten: oh hey guys, I was wondering if you've seen Seth

Ryan: no

Lindsay: uh we were jus looking for him ourselves

Ryan: mm-hmm

Kirsten: ok, thanks (leaves)

(Lindsay puts her head on her hands, relieved)

Lindsay: that was close (laughs)

Ryan: yeah maybe we should just...keep this to ourselves for now

Lindsay: at least...till we find out if we're breaking any laws (nods)

(they stare at each other for a second before kissing again, its as urgent as before, they lay back on the bed together still kissing)

CUT TO: The front door - Sandy opens the door and sees Seth standing there with 2 police officers

Seth: (waves) hey dad (Sandy looks dissapointed) how was the party (points to the 2 police officers, whispers) I think somebody called the cops

(Sandy stares at Seth, not impressed)

CUT TO: The lifeguard tower - we see Jimmy walking up to it barefoot with a sweatshirt draped over his shoulders, then the camera changes and we see Marissa sitting with DJ in the tower. DJ is looking at Marissa, Marissa is sitting there upset, staring blankly. Jimmy slowly walks up to them

Jimmy: hey

(they both look over and see Jimmy)

Marissa: what're you doing here

DJ: (to Marissa) I called him (stands)

Jimmy: thanks DJ, appreciate it (he shakes DJ's hand)

(DJ leaves)

Jimmy: you mind if I join you

(Marissa shrugs, not looking at him. Jimmy sits down next to her, where DJ was)

Jimmy: oooh (looks at Marissa then looks out at the water) I never thought i'd leave this place...I guess...life doesn't always turn out the way you think it will huh (looks at Marissa, Marissa doesn't say anything, tears are in her eyes) ill take that as a...as a no... i'm sorry Marissa...I am so sorry i'm sorry I...I let you down (a tear rolls down Marissa's cheek) ...i'm sorry that I...I couldn't (looks at Marissa) give you the life...that you deserve (Marissa closes her eyes, tears falling) although I-I I nearly went to jail trying, I mean you've gotta give a guy credit for that

(Marissa breaks down, crying uncontrollably into her hands. Jimmy looks at her helplessly) {its similar to when Marissa broke down with Ryan, in Chino after the whole Luke/Julie thing}

Jimmy: sweetheart…

Marissa: (through tears) don't go, please (puts her head on Jimmy's chest) (Jimmy puts his arm around her, holding her close) (desperately) don't go, don't leave, don't leave me!

Jimmy: oooh (rubs her arm) I gotta go, I gotta-i gotta get a life (Marissa is still crying) I know, I know it stinks but

(we see a close up of Marissa crying into Jimmy, she is really upset) {i just want to acknowledge Mischa for doing an amazing job in this scene! it brought me to tears, lol}

Jimmy: but listen, anytime you wanna come live with me (pulls her hair away from her face) you jus let me know ok, an I will send a boat or a plane whatever ok

Marissa: (calming down a little) ok (sniffs)

(Jimmy kisses Marissa's head, Marissa wipes her face)

Jimmy: its gettin...its gettin kinda cold, i think we should-we should head back huh, wanna get outta here

Marissa: (sits up) no, wait...can we jus...can we jus sit here for a while

Jimmy: (looks at Marissa) sure kiddo (takes his sweatshirt and puts it over Marissa) here put this on, you must be freezing (Marissa leans back on Jimmy's chest, and Jimmy puts his arm around her) oooh, ill sit with you (kisses her head) all night

(Marissa closes her eyes, not crying as much anymore. Jimmy looks at her, lovingly. the camera pulls back so we see them from a distance)

FADE TO: lots of yachts on the water. this changes to one yacht sailing by itself - we hear a door bell. we are now inside the Cohen's. Sandy answers the door and Marissa is standing there wearing Jimmy's USC sweatshirt from the beach, and she's holding a brown paper bag

Sandy: hey

Marissa: hi

Sandy: (concerned) are you ok

Marissa: yeah, I was just uh...seeing my dad off (looks down) (Sandy looks at her) he left thi'smorning

Sandy: i'm sorry

Marissa: (holds up brown paper bag) I brought bagels (smiles)

Sandy: well that's the secret password inta the Cohen house, come on in

(Marissa smiles and goes inside. we then go to the kitchen where Kirsten, Seth and Ryan already are)

Kirsten: hey sweetie

Marissa: hey

Sandy: (takes the brown paper bag) Marissa brought bagels

(Ryan is holding a bagel in his hand, he looks over at Marissa)