02x09 - The EX-Factor

All episode transcripts for the TV show "The O.C.". Aired August 2003 - April 2007.*
Watch/Buy Amazon

A troubled youth becomes embroiled in the lives of a close-knit group of people in the wealthy, upper-class neighborhood of Newport Beach, Orange County, California.

02x09 - The EX-Factor

Post by bunniefuu »

Opening scene - We see the outside of the Cohen house at night. we hear Kirsten's voice but we can't see her yet

Kirsten: (off screen) i'd like to place an order for a delivery...can I get the crispy noodles with shrimp (on screen) and the calamari salad

Sandy: (in the background) (points) get the Vietnamese rolls (Kirsten turns to face him, nods) an the chicken-the chicken (points) with the spicy curry

Kirsten: just wanna? add uh Vietnamese rolls and chicken with spicy curry

(Ryan and Seth walk into the kitchen from the backyard)

Sandy: you guys want somethin from Typhoon

Ryan: uuuh yeah some pad tai please

Seth: yeah mom (Kirsten looks) mom (points) will you order a couple gallons of the tom young soup? and then the salmon with the chili lime sauce...an dumplings

Kirsten: ok ah could we get some (recalling) pad tai, some tom young soup (Sandy mouths salmon) salmon with the chili lime sauce

(Ryan sits up on the kitchen counter)

Seth: (to Kirsten) dumplings

Kirsten: oh and uh (Seth points at her) the steamed dumplings, yeah...great (hangs up) we have ordered enough for a small army (Seth has a big cheesy grin on his face and raises his eyebrows)

Sandy: I got an idea (to Seth & Ryan) why don't you two invite your female cohorts over

Ryan: Lindsay's with her mom, family therapy intuitry? faux retrospective

Sandy: oooh, that's a hell of a double header (to Seth) well what about Alex

(Seth looks at Sandy)

CUT TO: The bait shop - Alex is stapling flyers to the wall, hard. Seth walks up to her

Seth: howdy

Alex: (looks up) uh w (looks around) what're you doing here

Seth: ok, that's not the...warmest greeting i've ever received but I will take it

Alex: (staples more) (looks down) uh I didn't (looks at Seth) expect to see you here...right now, i'm kind of busy

Seth: I wanted to invite you to have (raises eyebrows) dinner, with the family

Alex: (looks away) uh-hm ah I don't think it's a good idea (staples hard, Seth jumps) (looks at Seth) my ex is in town (Seth has his mouth open in shock) (closes her eyes) actually...in my office (Seth looks away) waiting for me

(we see a sh*t of Alex's office door)

Seth: oooh...ex (nods) well part of the ABC's of the eX is to...step aside for the I an the U (smiles at Alex)

Alex: but the eX isn't technically an ex (Seth looks at her) (avoids eye contact) we never...really...broke up...officially- its part of what we need to figure out (Seth is shocked) but um (happy) I really do wanna come have dinner with your family so...maybe we can do it after the ex leaves

Seth: ok so the ex is leaving, when later tonight (Alex looks at him then walks passed) stayin the night that's cool...stayin the week

Alex: (puts her hands out) I don't know, um I didn't know this was gonna happen an now it has an now I have'ta deal with it so it would be great if you could just uh-hm let me figure it out

Seth: just in other words, stay away while the ex is in town

Alex: unless you're cool with the three of us hanging out

Seth: (not happy) (nods) ok well i'm gonna have'ta get back to ya (shrugs) on that

(Seth walks out of the Bait Shop and walks onto the road, he stops a second then continues walking - back inside the Bait Shop Alex looks upset, a girl comes up behind her and puts her hands around her waist)

Jody: I like the new club

(Alex nods and looks down, not saying anything. Jody pushes Alex's hair behind her ear)

Jody: you ready to get outta here

Alex: (nods) mm-hmm in a minute

(Jody runs her hand down Alex's hair, then turns Alex's head towards her and kisses her on the cheek, she walks away. Alex stands there looking very lost/confused)

Theme song - California by Phantom Planet

Harbor school the next morning - Ryan, Seth and Lindsay are walking together, outside

Seth: so what if Alex has an ex

Ryan: most people do

Seth: that's right, he's probably just some...meat head thug with...her name tattooed on his bicep

Lindsay: (laughs) well no thr*at to you

Seth: unless (Ryan and Lindsay look at him) he's a thug with a heart...he's done his time (points) eighteen months for robbery, he was wrong he understands that...he's mature, he's sensitive (screws up his face) ...seasoned

Ryan: so you're not ok

Seth: (frowns) not at all Ryan... not at all (walks away)

Lindsay: he's spiraling huh

Ryan: Seth, he hasn't even begun

(Marissa walks over to them)

Ryan: hey

Lindsay: hi

Marissa: hi guys

Lindsay: (noticing Marissa's outfit) wow Marissa that's...an amazing skirt an (points) I-I love your shoes

Marissa: (smiles) thanks, I really like your (Lindsay looks at her) your backpack

(Ryan looks from Marissa to Lindsay. Lindsay looks at her backpack)

Marissa: uh-hm where is it from

Lindsay: oh um...LL bean? (nervous smile)

Marissa: (nods uncomfortably) uh well (starts walking away) i'm late for class but maybe this weekend we can all hang (Ryan and Lindsay turn to face her) see a movie or (shrugs) go to Balboa island

Ryan: yeah sounds good

(Marissa nods then walks away. Lindsay watches her)

Lindsay: wow, everyday she looks like she could be on the cover of a fashion magazine

(they are now walking up the stairs)

Ryan: yeah? huh, I guess

Lindsay: good thing i'm not competitive

Ryan: (clueless) what're you talking about

Lindsay: nothing its jus, y'know you said it everyone has an ex an...you seem to hang out with yours alot (looks at Ryan)

Ryan: we do

Lindsay: mm-hmm (nods) you do, like constantly

Ryan: well maybe you two should become friends (Lindsay raises her eyebrows) we can all hang out and it wouldn't be weird

Lindsay: (laughs) yeah me an the Cosmo girl (Ryan smiles/nods) (shakes her head) yeah that wouldn't be weird at all

CUT TO: Cohen bedroom - Sandy is sitting at the end of the bed putting his shoes on, Kirsten climbs onto the bed and gets behind Sandy, she massages his shoulders

Sandy: aaah a massage, wow, you mus really need somethin

Kirsten: (with her head near Sandy's ear) favour...tiny (stops massaging and sits next to Sandy)

Sandy: well ask me while your givin me the massage, i'm much more inclined to say yes

(Kirsten turns on the side, and Sandy turns so he's sitting in front of her, Kirsten massages his shoulders again)

Kirsten: it's about work...as you know the Newport groups reputation is pretty much in the toilet

Sandy: (nods) well deserved

Kirsten: mm, an the board wants us ta come up with a plan to improve the company's image...an I figured who better ta ask then you, the man who practically invented hating the Newport group

Sandy: well you know, I-I was doin it long before it was trendy

Kirsten: yeah, so any ideas

Sandy: yes, as a matter of fac- this is perfect (gets up)

Kirsten: perfects good

Sandy: I jus got a call to start working with the Newport housing initiative, they wanna put up low income housing downtown an I was (puts his hands out) gonna petition the city council (puts his jacket on)

Kirsten: (realises) but the Newport group could come up with the money

Sandy: exactly, the housing board gets a development

Kirsten: an the company could do something good for a change (Sandy nods) honey that's perfect, you've earnt more then a massage (gets up)

Sandy: where I come from tha- (Kirsten puts her arms around his neck) (smiles) that only means one thing

Kirsten: mmm

(they kiss)

CUT TO: Harbor school - Summer is in the student lounge trying to read a book, I think it's in a different language. Zach comes up behind her carrying a fancy silver container with a blue bow on top

Summer: (frowns) www uh

(Zach comes up behind Summer and covers her eyes with one hand, he puts the silver container down with the other)

Zach: hey (Summer touches Zach's hand) I have a suprise for you

Summer: (smiles) I love suprises

(Zach takes the top of the container, and inside on a little plate thing is a cup cake with a 1 candle sticking out, the cupcake has fluro pink icing)

Summer: especially when there named Jimmy Chu?

(Zach lights the candle on the cupcake)

Summer: am I about to get whacked

(Zach gently lifts the cupcake up and holds it near Summer, he has uncovered her eyes)

Zach: here (smiles)

Summer: hey a cupcake (takes it) doesn't have ? but ill eat it anyway, you know it's not my birthday (blows out the candle)

Zach: yes (Summer licks the icing off the candle) an I also know it's our six month anniversary

Summer: (looks at Zach) oh my god it is...god its ben six months, holy mack

Zach: (nods) I know its amazing, i've never ben in a relationship this long (smiles)

Summer: (frowns) neither have I

Zach: well I think we should celebrate, I would like to take you...to a romantic anniversary dinner at the Arches, what'do you say

(Summer kind of smiles, but she doesn't say anything)

CUT TO: Summer and Marissa walking outside together

Marissa: so wha'd you say

Summer: oh you know that i'm fasting for an upcoming colonoscopy

Marissa: hm, i'm sure that was just the answer he was looking for

Summer: hm yes, look Zach is so unbelievably great, but six months, I didn't know id even date Cohen that long, when did we get so old, when did life get so complicated

(they are now walking up the stairs)

Marissa: I know...(reminiscent) remember when we were little (Summer looks at her) and it was just you an me an all boys had cooties (smiles)

Summer: yeeeeah, we would have sleep overs an watch Full House an Step By Step

Marissa: oh my god, I loved Full House, but then my favourite character was named DJ so I guess that's ruined

Summer: noooo, look forget DJ, forget Cohen an Zach an Ryan, you know what we need a break from the boys

Marissa: what you mean like a...girls night out

Summer: I do indeed, you tellin me you couldn't use a night without boys

Marissa: well Full House is on Nick at nite

Summer: (smiles) reeeaaaallllyyy

CUT TO: Julie's office - Julie is on the phone, and Kirsten peeks in the door

Julie: (on the phone) thanks, bye (hangs up)

Kirsten: (walks in) sooooo, great news (sits) Sandy has an aaaammazing idea to kick start an image make over for the company

Julie: I have better news, I have a better idea then him

Kirsten: you haven't heard his yet...

Julie: it would be hard for Sandy's idea to top the best idea ever, (excited) you ready

Kirsten: probably not, no

(Julie gets up from her desk and pulls off a sheet that was covering something, the something it was covering is huge poster looking thing, of Julies face, with the words Newport Living. Julie puts her hands out to Kirsten as if to say 'well')

Kirsten: (stunned) oh my (looks) there's so much you here

Julie: (smiles) a magazine Kirsten, about Newport life, restaurants, events, gossip. selling Newport beach as an aspirational brand

Kirsten: (still stunned) uh well...Sandy's idea which is in a different direction, involves funding a low income housing development

Julie: huh, that's kind'a cute...uh-hm I guess but Kiki we're trying to appeal to the Newport elite, we need to think about who these people are...bored rich gossip mongers who like ta shop, there me an I don't care about low income housing

Kirsten: ...you have a point (nods)

(Kirsten looks back at the poster, Julie looks at it, excited)

CUT TO: Ryan and Lindsay walking to the lunch tables

Ryan: alright this as far as I go

Lindsay: thanks for walking me, have fun at your emergency comic book meeting

Ryan: why do I get the feeling Seth wont be talking about comics (Lindsay laughs and shrugs) yeah, you ok

Lindsay: yeah sure, I like eating alone

Ryan: ohp (points) you know who you could sit with

(we see Summer and Marissa walking to a table together a little away from Ryan and Lindsay. they have fast food bags)

Lindsay: uh no that's ok, really

Ryan: ah come on, sooner you get to know her sooner she'll stop bein my ex an become your friend (starts walking over to them)

Lindsay: Ryan don't ok please, i'm sure they don't even eat

Marissa: hey

Summer: hey

Ryan: uh you guys mind if Lindsay joins you, I gotta meet Seth

(Marissa looks at Ryan, then Lindsay)

Summer: uh no, emergency comic book meeting, Zach was summoned too

Ryan: (nods) so you heard

Summer: hm

Marisa: (shrugs) have a seat Lindsay

Summer: yeah

Ryan: great, thanks you guys, see ya

(Lindsay reluctantly sits across from Marissa and Summer. Ryan leaves)

Marissa: (eating a burger) mm this is so good, great idea hitting the drive thru for lunch

Lindsay: it'll probably be hours on the elliptical trainer (laughs) working those off huh

(Marissa looks at Lindsay like she doesn't follow, then at Summer)

Summer: (eating fries) Coop exercising, now that's funny

Marissa: ha ha ha

Lindsay: so you guys can just...eat cheeseburgers an...look like you

Summer: well sometimes we get chili fries too

Marissa: why, what're you eating

Lindsay: oh um it's a...zone meal its low carb

Summer: (nods) hm

Marissa: oh (points) so we were just in the middle of planning our girl's night out for this weekend, d'you wanna join us

Lindsay: (looks up) me (Summer nods, eating)

Marissa: what'do you say (smiles)

Lindsay: (smiles) ...ok, uh sure

CUT TO: Seth's emergency comic book meeting in the student lounge - Seth is sitting backwards on a chair, in front of 3 geeky looking guys and Zach. Ryan isn't there yet

Seth: so break it down for me guys, an don't be afraid to be honest

Geek1: well what you shoulda done is tell her, take all the space you need, I know this must be hard (Seth raises his eyebrows) boom, your a hero

Geek2: you'll look confident, but like you still care

Seth: yeah that is so the way I shoulda played it

Philip: when do we discuss the new Avengers

Seth: ok Philip, your membership has ben revoked, now your not there for me, i'm not there for you, b*at it (Philip looks hurt)

Zach: Philip he doesn't mean it he's just upset

Seth: now you two I don't care if your still in Junior high, I think your onta somethin an I like it (stands) you know what, i'm gonna give her a call, tell her i'm givin her some space

(Geek 1 gives Seth the thumbs up)

Zach: no, no (gets up) Seth dude don't do that

CUTR TO: Ryan walking to the meeting - as Ryan goes to walk into the building Seth walks out ringing Alex, Zach is behind him

Ryan: (to Zach) what's happening

Zach: he's calling her

Ryan: what! (runs to Seth) whoa, whoa whoa give me that give me that (tries to grab the phone)

Seth: no its going to voice mail, leaving a message

Ryan: no, you are not (hangs up)

Seth: gees man, fine whatever forget calling her anyways i'm gonna go down there

Ryan: no

Seth: yeah I am, if i'm gonna lose her I deserve to see the guy i'm losing her to

Ryan: you are not going down there

Seth: yeah, I have to ok my pay cheques dow- yes, yes, that's perfect, she owes me thirty eight dollars I have'ta go down there, ok how am I spose'ta live without that money...mans gotta eat

Ryan: what if I go down there

Seth: an I come with you, ok

Ryan: look, ill go down there ill say i'm pickin up your pay cheque, sniff around for the ex

Seth: (considers this) ok, check him out, report back to me maybe snap a few photos

Ryan: sure, what'do you say

(Zach comes up behind them)

Seth: alright (to Zach) hey

Zach: listen Seth you gotta apologise to Philip man he took that really hard (points)

(Philip walks passed them)

Seth: Philip, he's always ben the weak one (to Philip) hey Philip come on man, i'm sorry what happened back there, heat'a passion you know how it is, i'm sorry sometimes Bruce Banna turns inta the hulk

CUT TO: Cohen kitchen - Kirsten is sitting at the kitchen table working, the mock up of Julie's magazine is spread out on the table as well. Sandy comes in

Sandy: hey I talked to the guys over at the housing initiative (Kirsten looks worried) they are on cloud nine over there

Kirsten: (gets up) oh...good

Sandy: there gonna draw up a proposal for you to bring to work (sees the mock up) ok honey (Kirsten looks at him) I don't wanna alarm ya...but there is a giant Julie Cooper on the table

Kirsten: its Julies idea for an image make-over, a magazine

Sandy: i'm assumin you nipped this one in the bud

Kirsten: well...she did her homework (Sandy looks at her) ran the numbers (looks at Sandy) the proposal wasn't bad

Sandy: you're not actually considering this are you

Kirsten: well there's alot of ideas on the table Sandy (nods)

Sandy: well when you sh**t down hers be sure to toss this will ya, I-its givin me the willies, ok

CUT TO: The Bait Shop - Ryan comes down the stairs, looks around then walks over to the bar

Ryan: hey, hi i'm here to pick up a pay cheque, names Cohen

Jody: (smiles) so you mus be Alex's new guy...the famous Seth Cohen

Ryan: nooo...i'm his friend Ryan i'm jus...doin him a favour

Jody: oh... (disappointed) I really wanted to meet this Seth

Ryan: yeah

Jody: (nods) i'm Jody (holds her hand out)

Ryan: (shakes her hand) (looks down) ...(realises) you're the ex

CUT TO: The pool house the next morning - we see inside, from through the door. Seth walks passed pacing, then the camera changes to inside and Ryan is reading at the counter

Seth: so ya didn't see anything at the club...I mean there were no shady guys hanging around Alex's office

Ryan: definitely...didn't see any guys (looks up) uh are we meeting Zach here or...at the comic book store (looks back down)

Seth: here, now you must'a seen someone, tell me this, who gave ya the cheque, tell me everything that happened (Ryan turns to face him) infact better yet reenact it word for word, go

Ryan: (has a worried look on his face, then looks to the door, relieved) Zach (smiles, goes over to him) (over enthusiastic) hey, how are you (shakes Zach's hand) so good ta see ya, how are ya

Zach: good (nods) i'm good (Zach looks at Seth) i'm terrible actually, uh uh I think I freaked Summer out (Seth raises his eyebrows) I don't know uh she bailed on our date an n-now she's doin some girls night out thing at the Bait Shop (Seth looks as though he's thinking) she's not returnin any'a my phone calls, I don't know (shrugs) maybe some new comics will ease the pain

Seth: (points) I feel that pain, so why don't we go down to the Bait Shop tonight an give the girls a little talking to (raises his eyebrows)

Ryan: (looks at Seth) or we could forget about the girls (looks at Zach) y'know do our own thing (nods) have a guy's night out (smiles)

(Zach looks at Seth, Seth looks at Ryan)

Seth: I like my plan (points) where we go to the Bait Shop

Ryan: oh come on we've spent every night with the girls, let's try one night without them

Zach: could be kinda fun

Ryan: (points to Zach) aaayy (to Seth) eh?

Seth: (thinks) (nods) could be jus what I need (dramatic) a reinvestment in my man hood, a time out to reflect on what it means ta be a man (Ryan's smile goes, and he looks worried)

Ryan: Seth

Seth: yeah i'm in

CUT TO: Cohen front door - Sandy opens the door and Caleb is standing there

Caleb: Sanford, Kirsten here

Sandy: uhhhh (shakes his head)

Caleb: (walks in) I was hopin ta have a bit of a chat with you both, it's about this ungodly magazine of Julies, you heard about it

(they are now in Sandy's office)

Sandy: heard about it, I got an eighty foot mock up in my kitchen (points) (frowns) it's gonna haunt me in my sleep

Caleb: well I don't intend to let this thing go ahead...if Julie launches this magazine she'll embarrass herself, the company, the family

Sandy: (smiles) so how you gonna break it to her

Caleb: the woman's a warrior Sanford, i'm not facing her alone (raises his eyebrows)

Sandy: oh so that's where we come in

Caleb: the three of us form a united front, tell Julie that the magazine is a terrible idea that she'll regret it, what'do you say

Sandy: (laughs) how about that I actually agree with ya

CUT TO: Ryan and Lindsay in the car - Ryan is driving, its now night.

Ryan: relax, your gonna have fun

Lindsay: yeah definitely, I mean not only am I spending the night with Marissa, but ill get to see my dad...who barely acknowledges me

Ryan: nope he's gonna be out at dinner, I checked with Marissa

Lindsay: (looks at Ryan) ...so when did you...guys meet, I mean how'd you start going out in the first place

Ryan: (smiles) me an Marissa, come on

Lindsay: what, I mean we're you guy's lab partners...fire drill buddies

Ryan: (smiles) noooo, no (Lindsay laughs) uhhh (thinking back) ...actually it was my first night in Newport...I was uh...I was sittin in Sandy's car...waitin to see if Kirsten would even let me in the house (Lindsay is looking at Ryan, listening) aaaand walked down to the end'a the driveway an...there she was (thoughtful pause) we started talking an {at this point on the windscreen, next to Ryan's head we can barely see footage from that night. Marissa and Ryan are standing together, it's easy to miss but the glow from the cigarette is noticeable} I don't know we just um...connected (scene disappears) (Lindsay is still looking at Ryan) she wasn't like anybody id ever met before (Lindsay looks away, half smiles) (looks at Lindsay) ...until you

Lindsay: right

(they pull up outside Caleb's house. Marissa opens the front door, and nods at them. Lindsay un does her seatbelt)

Ryan: have fun

(Lindsay gets out of the car and walks towards Marissa)

Ryan: (puts the window down and yells to Marissa) hey, do me a favour an take care of her tonight alright

Lindsay: ok...Ryan i'm not eight

Marissa: (to Ryan) I promise ill take care of her dad (smiles) or ill try anyway

(Ryan waves bye, Lindsay waves back and Marissa motions for her to go in. Marissa looks out at Ryan before shutting the door, Ryan looks worried)

CUT TO: Marissa's bedroom - Marissa and Lindsay walk in

Lindsay: uh please don't feel like you have'ta baby sit me

Marissa: oh no, that's just Ryan (shuts the door) he gets very protective, you'll see

(Marissa looks at Lindsay, Lindsay raises her eyebrows. they are both awkward with each other)

Marissa: uh so Summer should be here any second (sits at her dressing table)

Lindsay: (nods) cool...uh so this is...where you live (Marissa nods) I mean...of course it is I mean its-its really nice (nervous laugh)

Marissa: (smiles) thanks (Lindsay points at the bed) yeah, sit

(Lindsay sits on the bed, she looks at Marissa then away, Marissa looks at Lindsay then away. both are clearly uncomfortable. Lindsay fixes her hair then sort of looks around the room)

Marissa: hey you know what (Lindsay looks at her) um (pulls out a flask) how bout an ice breaker (smiles)

Lindsay: oh uh (nervous laugh) (Marissa realises) I dont-i don't really

Marissa: sorry um... that's totally cool

Lindsay: (worried) oh not that I-I judge...anyone who does, its jus not something i do-

Marissa: don't worry about it

Lindsay: ok

(Marissa puts the flask back in her drawer. they sit there uncomfortably again. Lindsay looks at Marissa and Marissa smiles. door bell)

Marissa: (relieved) that (stands) mus be Summer so ill jus go grab the door you know, hang out an make yourself comfortable

(Marissa leaves. Lindsay notices photos Marissa has sitting on a ledge. there are 5 framed photos and we can see some are of Ryan and Marissa. she walks over to them to take a closer look. the first photo is of their heads. their foreheads are touching and both of them look really happy, the next one is of them looking into each others eyes, the Ferris wheel is in the background. the third one looks to be some sort of party, both of them are dressed up, and they are standing next to each other looking at the camera. Lindsay touches this one then slides her hand back to the photo before and picks it up. she closes her eyes)

Lindsay: what am I doing here...

CUT TO: Cohen house - Zach and Seth are standing near the kitchen

Seth: ok it is o seven hundred hours (rubs his hands together) let the record show that guys night out...has officially begun (uses his hand for emphasis)

Zach: ok Seth uh o seven hundred means it's seven am

Seth: ...ok nobody cares that you were an ROTC? now listen'ta me, tonight Newport is our bitch ok so let's go out there an lets do what guys do

(Ryan comes over)

Ryan: (manly) yeah

Seth: Ryan what do guys - do

Ryan: (smile disappears) uh we could head up to LA you know (Seth looks at Zach) hit a club (Zach looks at Ryan) go to Vegas, road trip to Tijuana

Seth: ok that didn't work out so well last time...but these are good shapes of ideas

(Seth looks as though he's thinking, Zach frowns thinking, Seth looks at them both. Ryan looks as though he's thinking)

Ryan: (points at Seth) you wanna stay home an play video games don't you

Seth: (makes a praying motion) so bad

Zach: yeah this Summer things got me tied in knots man I vote we stay in

Ryan: no, we should get you outta the house, it'll take your mind off things

Seth: (points) or, or, we could let the fun come to us ok we have everything we need here for a perfect night ok (Ryan frowns) we've got a working television, a bevy of comic books (Zach looks at Seth) lamps...right, ok that's all ya need for a rollicking good time so my proposal is guys night in

(Seth and Zach both look at Ryan, hopeful)

Ryan: guy's night in (half smiles)

(Seth claps his hands)

CUT TO: The Bait Shop/Girls night out - Marissa, Summer and Lindsay walk into the lounge area

Summer: so here we are, just us

Marissa: right

(Lindsay and Summer sit on the long lounge and Marissa sits across from them on an single chair. Marissa smiles at them both, Summer and Lindsay smile back)

Marissa: this is so much fun

(Lindsay nods/smiles and looks at Summer, Summer smiles)

Lindsay: so...what happens now

(Marissa looks at Summer)

Summer: well we could walk by the bar, see if anyone checks us out

Marissa: hello, no boys tonight that's the whole point

Summer: ok well we can at least talk about them right, lets face it without that we got nothin...so boy talk, who wants to start

(Marissa and Lindsay look at each other, Lindsay looks down, Marissa looks away. Summer looks at Marissa then Lindsay)

Lindsay: (to Marissa) you know um (Marissa looks up) i'm rethinking...the whole sobriety thing (Summer looks at Marissa)

Marissa: you read my mind

(Marissa takes her flask out, Summer rolls her eyes. Marissa takes a drink then passes it to Lindsay. Lindsay sighs, toasts then takes a drink. Lindsay swallows and then coughs)

Marissa: ooh (Lindsay coughs more) (frowns) maybe some tonic an...lots of ice would help (goes to the bar)

Summer: (pats Lindsay on the back) are you ok, burns you a little?

Lindsay: uh yeah (Summer takes the flask)

(we now see the bar. Alex is working and Jody is talking to her. its more like a fight actually)

Jody: do what you want if you need ta call him so bad (Jody moves in front of Alex and we see Marissa is standing behind them)

Alex: what, look I had no idea that you were gonna show up out of nowhere an I didn't have any chance ta tell him anything about us

(Marissa is listening in)

Jody: why, are you embarrassed about us

Marissa: sorry to interrupt (Alex turns around) but uh there's no paper towels (raises her eyebrows) in the girls bathroom

Alex: uh...i'm all over it

(Alex looks at Jody then walks away. Marissa looks at Jody then walks away to. we see Marissa and Alex walking together now)

Alex: thanks, that was a conversation I did not wanna have

Marissa: yeah I know all about those, I have em with my mom all the time

CUT TO: Cohen living room - Ryan is lying on the couch, Seth and Zach are sitting in beanbags in front of the TV

Seth: I mean the nerve of Alex, she has a secret boyfriend the whole time (Ryan is bored, he's balancing the TV remote on his nose) and she jus never gets around ta telling me

Zach: I know man, all I wanted was ta celebrate our six month anniversary an Summer heads for the hills

Seth: you an Summer have ben going out for six months

Ryan: (eyes closed) this is so not how I imagined our guy's night out

Seth: I say we go to the club an we put up a fight

Ryan: (points) no, bad idea

Zach: (looks at Ryan) why, our girlfriends bailed on us to go drinking at a club (Seth points at Zach, then looks at Ryan) have you seen the infomercials for girls gone wild cause this is exactly how they begin

Seth: (gets up) he's right i'm goin

Zach: (gets up) me too

Ryan: (jumps up) no Seth, i'm tellin you as your friend don't do this

(Seth looks at Ryan, Ryan looks at Seth)

Seth: (points) you know something don't you

Ryan: no, no I don't, don't ask me (walks away)

Seth: (follows) dude (dramatic) I am a man in the desert, i'm dyin of thirst you have a thermos full'a cool aide, come on give me a sip did you meet the ex, I know ya did

Ryan: (gives in) alright, yes I did

Seth: and who is he

Ryan: he (eyes wide) (Seth looks at Ryan as if to say 'well') he's a she

Seth: ...what

CUT TO: The Bait Shop - we see the Thrills performing on stage for a bit, then we see Lindsay sculling her drink

Marissa: (tipsy) who needs a little more

Summer: (also tipsy) somebody's gotta drive

(Lindsay holds her cup out to Marissa, Marissa pours drink from the flask)

Lindsay: (more tipsy then the other two) noooot me (Marissa smiles/laughs)

Summer: why don't I go track down some coffee

(Summer gets up and Marissa hits her on the bum, then Summer leaves. Marissa and Lindsay look at each other, they seem more comfortable now. Marissa smiles)

Lindsay: you're not scary

Marissa: uh...thanks...I think

Lindsay: no I mean like before you were like (makes claws) scary, not like like boogie man scary, y'know but-

Marissa: Lindsay...you've got nothing to worry about...Ryan really likes you

Lindsay: (sits forward) yeah, can a guy ever get over a girl like you

(Marissa looks away - we now see Summer at the bar getting a cup of coffee. a guy is watching her, when she walks away he follows)

Matt: Summer right (Summer looks at him) uh we're in the same comp lit class together

Summer: right...i'm sorry i'm usually asleep

Matt: oh Matt Miller (holds hand out, Summer shakes it) so where's uh where's Zach (looks around)

Summer: (raises her eyebrows) I...don't know, it's a...girls night out (frowns) you know about me an Zach

Matt: oh we're on the water polo team together, Happy Anniversary

Summer: ...you know about our anniversary (frowns)

Zach: well yeah, he brought it up in the locker room, six months is big, we were all talkin about it

Summer: (nods) Zach's turning the locker room into a life time movie

Matt: (laughs) the water polo team is very sensitive (Summer frowns) its tough to see from here

Summer: yeah uh, always tough to see from here

Matt: you wanna try upstairs

Summer: yeah uh (puts her hands out) sure why not, haven't scoped it out yet

CUT TO: Ryan, Zach and Seth in the car driving - Seth is driving, Ryan is on the left and Zach is in the back

Ryan: so Alex hooked up with a girl, it's not a big deal Seth

Seth: Ryan, my girlfriend dated a girl it's a very big deal, there's only one thing I can do to make it ok

Zach: (frowns) your gonna hook up with a guy

(Seth and Ryan both look weirded out)

Seth: (frowns) I repeat, there's only one thing I can do to make it ok, I need to see this girl...cause right now my imaginations just...running wild

Zach: (smiles) dude, so's mine (to Ryan) she's hot right (Ryan doesn't know what to say)

Seth: listen I know i'm suppose'ta be attracted, ok, an i'm spose'ta be turned on i've read Maxim, i've read Stuff but you know what, all its making me feel like is Alex is even more outta my league

Ryan: maybe you jus wait to talk to her till you calm down a little bit

Seth: nope, got alotta testosterone pumpin right now Ryan, testosterone bein (points) the key ingredient missing from Alex's previous relationship, I jus need'a remind her of that (honks the horn) (yells) come on

Ryan: ...this should go well

(Seth hits the horn frustrated)

CUT TO: Al something. it's a restaurant - Kirsten, Sandy, Caleb and Julie are sitting at a table together

Julie: (off screen) but you have to think big picture because this (on screen) magazine could go national, why wouldn't America be fascinated with the lives an loves of Orange County's rich an fabulous...we're all beautiful an we're all dysfunctional, surf sex an scandal, its a recipe for a cultural phenomenon don't you think Cal

Caleb: well I would rather hear what uh Sandy an Kirsten have'ta say

Kirsten: lets-lets not talk about work anymore

Sandy: Kirsten, why don't we put her out of her misery

(Kirsten looks at Caleb, Caleb looks at Kirsten. Julie looks at all of them)

Sandy: Julie, it's a lousy idea

Julie: (looks at Caleb) thanks for rushing to my defense Cal really very touching

Caleb: uh it's uh...my job to remain impartial, objective

Julie: an cowardly, fine ill jus sit here an get insulted by a man so ignorant about business he chose as a career to work for free

Sandy: (confused) I-I I don't work - that's pro bono work Julie, why am I defending myself. if you want a business perspective ask Kirsten

Julie: I did, she called Newport Living jus the thing to keep the Newport Group living (smiles at Kirsten)

Sandy: she said that (looks at Kirsten)

Kirsten: uh I-I wasn't that...poetic (Caleb looks down, Sandy looks away from Kirsten, in disbelief) oh honey I-I I did some research (Sandy looks at Kirsten) this has promise i'm so sorry it had to come out this way

Sandy: no (looks away) its my fault (Kirsten looks at him, she feels bad) i've once again let myself get caught up in the middle of this nasty game of hungry hungry hippos well this time i'm out (Kirsten closes her eyes) your all on your own (stands) waiter he'll take the cheque (points to Caleb)

(Caleb looks at Julie, Julie looks at Caleb clearly unhappy)

CUT TO: Outside the Bait Shop - Zach, Ryan and Seth walk up to the entrance

Seth: kay i'm gonna check the bar

Zach: i'll look upstairs

Ryan: Seth, we can still turn around

Seth: (points) yeah that's a good idea Ryan

Seth: (points) you take the lounge

(Seth walks in, Zach follows. Ryan stands there - inside the Bait Shop the Thrills are still performing on stage. the next thing we see is the bar, Alex is still working and Seth goes over to her)

Seth: hey (Alex looks over) so where is she (looks around) cause I will totally fight a girl

Alex: I have a job, which i'm busy doing so if you came down here for some big dramatic confrontation, its gonna have'ta wait (walks away)

Seth: fine, I will wait

(we see more of the band on stage. then we see Summer and Matt standing together up the top)

Summer: I don't know what my problem is I jus get so...claustrophobic

Matt: sounds to me like maybe you don't want a boyfriend

Summer: oh if he is not right for me then nobody is

(we see Zach coming up the stairs, he looks over and sees Summer and Matt, Summer walks over to him)

Summer: Zach, what're you doing here, I thought tonight was the night for the girls, without the boys

Zach: it doesn't look like it, what are you doing here with Matt Miller that guy'll hit on anything that move

Summer: oh thanks for the news flash O'Reily (frowns) what are you like, making your rounds

Zach: yeah (nods) yep that's what i'm doin, i'm checkin up on ya

Summer: ok, then why are you here

Zach: (upset) I don't know, bad idea

(Zach walks away upset, Summer closes her eyes and puts her hands on her head, frustrated - we see more of the band then we see Ryan looking for Lindsay in the crowd)

Ryan: hey (Lindsay and Marissa look over) there you are

Lindsay: (still tipsy) heeey, there you are (points)

(Ryan looks from Lindsay to Marissa, accusingly. Marissa looks at Ryan then looks away)

Lindsay: (Ryan sits next to her) (laughs at Marissa, Marissa smiles) my numb is tongue (laughs more)

Ryan: (to Marissa) drunk (Marissa shrugs)

Lindsay: (puts her head on Ryan's shoulder) mm I think that I need some fresh air

Ryan: (clearly not happy) now that's a good idea, lets get you outta here

Lindsay: (waves) bye

(as Ryan helps Lindsay up she bumps into the table and laughs more. Marissa put her hand behind her neck, and looks worried - we see more of the band)

CUT TO: The restaurant - Kirsten is sitting at the table by herself. Caleb walks over

Kirsten: Julie took off

Caleb: she insisted on me putting her in a cab, apparently it is my (sits) husbandly duty to support her ideas

Kirsten: she's got a point...support each other no matter what...it's the name of the game

Caleb: hm

Kirsten: which is why i'm gonna support Sandy at the board meeting

Caleb: putting the marriage ahead of the company (smiles) bold move

Kirsten: (smiles) go with Julie on this one, you won't regret it

Caleb: hm

Kirsten: you know...your not as stubborn as everybody thinks you are

Caleb: nah, its jus too much wine

Kirsten: mm

CUT TO: The beach - Ryan and Lindsay are walking on the sand, near the pier

Ryan: so how you feelin

Lindsay: oh I feel...so great

Lindsay: lets go swimming (tries to take Ryan's jacket off) come on (excited)

Ryan: ahhh swimming...in the ocean...at night

Lindsay: yeah

Lindsay: whats'a matter, are you scared (pushes Ryan back)

Ryan: no

(Lindsay falls on the sand, and Ryan falls on top of her, Lindsay laughs)

Ryan: (concerned) you alright, ow my knees (Lindsay laughs) how much you drink huh

Lindsay: I don't know, as much as Marissa

Ryan: (nods) that's alot

Lindsay: well I am on a liquid diet tonight

Ryan: no dinner too huh (Lindsay nods) well in that case, you hang tight for a minute (touches Lindsay's nose) i'm gonna go grab some greasy fries an alotta coffee

Lindsay: oooh

Ryan: the Dawn Atwood special

Lindsay: fries sound sooo good

Ryan: (nods) don't they

Lindsay: an then we'll go swimming it'll be fun because when the weather is cold the water is warm

Ryan: alright, we'll talk about it when I get back

Lindsay: ok

Ryan: (kisses Lindsay's forehead) alright

Lindsay: ok (laughs)

Ryan: bye, stay there ok, you alright (walks away)

(Ryan looks back and Lindsay waves at him, smiling)

CUT TO: The Bait Shop - Seth knocks on Alex's office door. we see that Alex is inside ignoring him, she closes her eyes. Seth keeps knocking so she gives in and opens the door, she does not look impressed

Seth: are you tryin'a wait me out cause it's not working

Alex: yeah it is working that's why your not waiting...ok lets jus get this over with, come on in (Seth walks in) an tell me everything that i've done to wrong you (shuts the door)

Seth: ok uh for one you lied to me (raises his eyebrows)

Alex: I did not lie to you, I told you that my ex was in town an you filled in the blanks

Seth: blanks that you left blank...you know, its part'a your move, its kinda part'a what ya do (Alex looks away) you got your whole too cool Jem an the Holograms thing happening an I feel like you consistently blowing me off is part'a your act

Alex: so now you think it's an act (turns away)

Seth: I think it's a crutch? (Alex glares at him) with the hair an the tattoos an the whiskey an cigarettes for breakfast, you know i've actually seen the banger sisters... part of it on cable, an I know how the story ends

Alex: (upset) well ill make sure to net flix that this weekend so that I can be up'ta speed on your little theory

Seth: great, you do that (Alex sits down) point is this was really fun for a while but (means it) (closes his eyes) it is jus not worth it so...I will see ya (leaves)

Alex: ...so what're you gonna do

Seth: I don't know, might go find a new girl to walk all over me, or...maybe even be cool to me

(Seth looks at Alex then walks out, Alex closes her eyes, then leans on her hands)

CUT TO: The Beach - Ryan comes back with coffee and food. he sees Lindsay's shoe wash ashore with the waves. Ryan runs towards the shoe and looks around for Lindsay

Ryan: (yells) Lindsay (looks around) (more urgent) Lindsay! (looks around)

(Ryan notices her bag and jacket on the sand. he looks towards the pier where the water is rough)

Ryan: (yells again) Lindsay (takes off his jacket) (urgent) LINDSAY!

(Ryan throws his jacket and runs into the water)

CUT TO: Seth walking outside the bait shop, he hears the echo of Ryan calling for Lindsay underneath him. he looks around, he hears it again, he looks more and hears it again. he walks over to the railing and looks down. we see Ryan thrashing about in the water, calling for Lindsay still. Ryan goes under then comes back up and yells again. Seth heads down to Ryan. Ryan yells again and gets knocked over by a wave. he comes back up and we see Seth standing on the beach with his hands cupped around his mouth

Seth: (yells) Ryan, what are you doing (puts his hands out)

Ryan: (yells) Lindsay, she's out here somewhere (a wave knocks him over) get help

Seth: (yells back) Lindsay's fine

Ryan: (yells) what

Seth: (points/yells) I jus saw her she's fine, she's passed out in Alex's office

(Ryan stares at Seth, another wave hits him)

CUT TO: Inside the Bait Shop - Ryan and Seth walk down the stairs. Ryan is soaking wet and frustrated

Seth: maybe she went lookin for you, ran inta Marissa who was doin the same thing

Ryan: yeah (pointed) can't wait to see her

(we are now inside Alex's office, Lindsay is asleep and Marissa is kneeling next to her, Alex is leaning on her desk. the boys walk in)

Marissa: (to Ryan) what happened ta you

Ryan: ...is she ok

Alex: she'll be fine, she's jus sleeping it off

Seth: we should get her home

(Ryan walks over to Lindsay)

Marissa: (stands) I...can do that

Ryan: (pointed) I think you've done enough

Marissa: (looks at Ryan) oh ok, so this is the part where you blame it all on me

Ryan: (looks at Marissa) your right, it was Lindsay's idea to pound straight Vodka an pass out, feel good ta see someone else mess up for a change

Marissa: it was her idea, an ok so it got a little outta control b-

Ryan: (yells at Marissa) it always does with you (Marissa jumps) you spent all last year tryin'a drag me down with you, an now her

(Marissa looks at Ryan, Seth looks at them both, Alex looks at Marissa worried. we see Ryan glaring at Marissa and then Lindsay, still passed out)

Ryan: you wanna make a mess outta your own life FINE (Marissa looks at him, upset) your doin a pretty good job of it if you ask me (Ryan turns away)

Alex: no one, asked you

Ryan: (yells at Alex) what'did you say (glares at Alex, Alex looks at Ryan)

Seth: hey Ryan lets-lets go

Ryan: no, i'm not leavin her here

Alex: ill take care of her, you go

(Marissa looks away, with tears in her eyes)

Seth: yeah come on, it'll be fine (Ryan doesn't move) Ryan lets go

(Ryan looks at Marissa, Marissa doesn't look at him. he walks over to Seth. Marissa is still upset. Alex looks at Marissa, Marissa looks up when Ryan leaves)

Seth: just call an let us know if she's ok (Alex nods) (shuts the door)

(Alex looks at Marissa, Marissa puts her hand behind her neck and sighs)

Alex: (sighs) let's get her outta here

Marissa: yeah

CUT TO: The diner - Summer walks in and sits at a booth by herself

Summer: (to girl) hi uh black white milk shake please...one

(Summer looks around and sees Zach sitting at a table by himself, she walks over to him)

Summer: Zach (Zach looks up, then motions for her to sit) (sits) uh-hm...so...i'm sorry for being ultra bitch 2000 tonight

Zach: (smiles) tonight

Summer: fair enough (closes her eyes) its just that...my whole dating experience...(frowns) amounts to a six month angst fest with coo coo for Cohen (raises her eyebrows) (Zach looks down) so when i'm with you someone who is, sane an normal...its like I was raised by wolves

Zach: ...do you need the drama

Summer: well...if by that you mean do I miss the wolves...no (raises her eyebrows) see wolves they pee all over the place marking their territory...gross (Zach smiles) but...while i'm learning how to not howl...at the moon, I need to take baby steps...like this anniversary thing

Zach: I get it...an don't worry, if we're still together when we hit the one year mark, i'm gonna totally blow it off

Summer: I think that is the sweetest thing anyone has ever said to me (smiles)

(Zach picks up a second straw and puts it in his milk shake, they both drink from his milk shake at the same time {aww})

CUT TO: The pool house - Ryan comes out of the bathroom and Seth is sitting on the end of the bed

Seth: Alex called...Lindsay's home

Ryan: (sighs) everything ok

Seth: I assume so, we didn't...really have a long talk she...hung up on me...which is maybe a hint that I really screwed things up tonight

Ryan: I don't think me an Marissa 'll be hanging out anytime soon...mm (dries his hair) I was probably too hard on her huh

Seth: (makes an 'I don't know' expression) there were flashes of the old Ryan Atwood

Ryan: its jus it brings back old issues you know...Marissa (raises his eyebrows) my mom

Seth: yeah, I don't think you have'ta lump Lindsay in that category though, she's probably jus tryin'a let loose

Ryan: or Marissa pressured her into it

Seth: (reluctant) I think that if Lindsay was feelin any pressure it was probably comin from you (looks at Ryan) I mean ya kinda ? them inta that relationship? but I mean the girlfriend an the ex as friends, I think that goes against nature

Ryan: hm, sounds like someone could follow their own advice

Seth: yeah...yeah I should apologise its jus my pride

Ryan: (looks at Seth) what pride

Seth: yeah I guess there's nothin standin in my way

Ryan: so do you wanna drive or me

Seth: you (stands)

Ryan: alright (stands)

CUT TO: Cohen living room - Sandy is watching an old horror movie, Kirsten comes in

Sandy: hey

Kirsten: hey (sits next to Sandy) if your still angry you have every right to be

Sandy: oh well that-that's good ta know, but here's the thing (shakes his head) i'm not angry at all, ever since I left the law firm your fathers ben groomin me to be his henchmen...an i've ben lettin him, I think in some way...i've jus ben postponing the inevitable

Kirsten: an that is

Sandy: figurin out what ta do next

Kirsten: Sandy we can still make your housing idea work i'm gonna go on record recommending the project

Sandy: oh I appreciate that (rubs Kirsten's leg) but id rather ya didn't...Julies magazine is always gonna give me the heebie jeebies an business wise its probably your best bet, besides if I work with you your father will ambush us every time we try to have a date

Kirsten: that was the worst date we've ever had wasn't it

Sandy: a double date with your father an Julie Cooper (Kirsten laughs) sounds like the plot'a this movie

CUT TO: Outside Alex's - Ryan and Seth are walking up her drive way, Marissa's car is there

Seth: maybe we shouldn't both be here I mean it's potentially too much apologise for one door step

Ryan: we're not doin it at the same time

Seth: that's good cause I don't think the synchronized apology will work

(Seth and Ryan both knock at the same time, they both stop, then they both knock again. Seth knocks by himself. Alex opens the door)

Alex: (sees Seth) it's like your stalking me

Seth: yeah but i'm stalking with good intentions, I came to apologise

Ryan: so did I

Alex: (to Ryan) Marissa's inside

Ryan: thanks (goes in)

Alex: an so is Jody so you an me (shuts the door) are outside (nods)

CUT TO: Inside Alex's - we see Ryan waiting for Marissa, she walks into the lounge room passed Ryan and sits on the couch

(Marissa doesn't say anything, she settles on the couch then looks at Ryan. Ryan looks at her and Marissa looks down)

Ryan: look I don't know I-I (sighs) I guess I was hoping this could be easy...for you an me to stay friends (Marissa looks down) for you an Lindsay to be friends

Marissa: an have us all live happily ever after

Ryan: (frowns) yeah somethin like that

Marissa: I know it seems like a million years ago we dated but it wasn't

Ryan: I know that

Marissa: an ok maybe you're over it (Ryan looks down) maybe it doesn't mean anything to you anymore (Ryan looks up) maybe it never did (Ryan looks at her) ...but it meant alot ta me, you meant alot to me...still do

(Ryan looks at Marissa, Marissa looks away)

Ryan: ...it's not like that I...I don't know what its like (Marissa is still avoiding eye contact) an thinkin you an Lindsay should be friends was a bad idea

Marissa: why, I like her...an if you do the math she's my step sister so

Ryan: (frowns) I guess

(Marissa looks at Ryan, Ryan avoids eye contact now)

Marissa: look clearly it's gonna be strange for us for a while

Ryan: yeah I know, your right (goes to leave) ...i'm sorry (Marissa half smiles, then looks down) that's what I came here to say

Marissa: (looks at Ryan) i'm sorry too

(Ryan leaves, Marissa looks down)

CUT TO: Outside - Alex and Seth are sitting together on a bench outside

Seth: so you an Jody, gettin back together

Alex: (shakes her head) uhhh I doubt it, she's kind of a pain in the ass, but maybe that's my type

Seth: right...so then I mean...does that mean that we can go back to before cause I can forget this ever happened (Alex looks at him) ok ill wait, cause that's what adults do they wait, so i'm waiting, adult style

Ryan: hey (Alex and Seth turn around) you ready

Seth: (waves at Ryan) (looks at Alex) yeah, I guess so (stands)

Alex: (stands) um...thanks for coming by...an i'm sorry too (kisses Seth on the cheek)

(Seth walks over to Ryan. Ryan puts his hand on Seth's back and they leave. Alex heads back inside.

CUT TO: Inside Alex's - Marissa is watching the same horror movie Sandy and Kirsten were, Alex walks in

Marissa: hey, Jody went to sleep