02x13 - The Test

All episode transcripts for the TV show "The O.C.". Aired August 2003 - April 2007.*
Watch/Buy Amazon

A troubled youth becomes embroiled in the lives of a close-knit group of people in the wealthy, upper-class neighborhood of Newport Beach, Orange County, California.

02x13 - The Test

Post by bunniefuu »

Opening scene - Cohen house in the morning. Ryan comes in from outside. he throws his school bag on the counter and picks up the remote control to turn the TV on, he goes back into the kitchen. the camera moves back so we can see Seth lying on the couch with his head covered by his robe

Seth: (groans) oh dude please turn that off

Ryan: Seeeetttthhh

Seth: shhh I�m sleeping

Ryan: please tell me you weren�t up watching movies all night

Seth: I wasn�t man jus dark man an hell boy an the first two matrix's...m-matrises or w-what�s the plural of matrix

Ryan: (walks over to Seth with coffee) here (Seth doesn�t move) its coffee (Seth slowly uncovers his head) mmmm (waves the coffee around)

Seth: (sits up slightly) mm (takes the coffee)

Ryan: you needa get in the shower we got school (goes back into the kitchen)

Seth: (sits up properly) I took a shower yesterday

Ryan: no you didn�t

Seth: (walks into the kitchen) I took a shower the day before yesterday

Ryan: an I�m makin you a bagel

Seth: no (sits at the counter)

(Seth looks like hell, even worse then the wild storm incident)

Ryan: you need to eat

Seth: my body will tell me when it needs food

Ryan: (looks at Seth) just like its telling you when it needs to shower

Seth: (puts his hands out) do you not see what�s going on here

Ryan: yes your wallowing you've ben wallowing since San Diego an enough�s enough

Seth: no I�m not wallowing Ryan, I�m agonising the two are vastly different

Ryan: really

Seth: yeah see, wallowing that�s like lounging around eating ice-cream watching uh VH1 (Ryan looks at him) but agonising...its more like MTV2 ok its no frills, requires discipline, days of no sleep, no food

Ryan: (points) no showering

Seth: jus sittin there thinkin an wondering hour after hour if Zach an Summer-

Ryan: dont

Seth: had sex in the hotel room right next'a mine

Ryan: an you did, amazing

Seth: Ryan they spent the night in the room right beside mine, how can I not wonder if they had sex

Ryan: because it�s pointless an you can obsess about it for the rest'a your life an you'll never really know

Seth: yeah, no your right, of course your right...I have to let it go cause there�s no way I will ever know...unless I ask Summer

Ryan: what (looks at Seth)

Seth: yeah it came to me last night during hell boy see it�s the uncertainty that�s k*lling me Ryan

Ryan: it won�t be the uncertainty k*lling you if you ask Summer

Seth: no see-

Ryan: (stern) no - Seth you can�t ask her it�s weird an its creepy an its none'a your business

Seth: (clicks his finger) your right (frowns) I don�t know what I was thinkin...its jus lack'a sleep or somethin (stands) ill ask Zach

(Seth leaves the kitchen and Ryan looks at him)

Theme song - California by Phantom planet

Cohen bedroom - Sandy is in there getting ready and Kirsten comes in

Kirsten: have you seen Seth

Sandy: oh I�ve smelled him...it smells like teen spirit to me

Kirsten: (worried) well I tried talking to him but...he jus...shared this long winded review about some movie called (frowns) hell boy

Sandy: oh that sounds like lady drama

Kirsten: well there seems to be alotta that going around (sits on the couch)

Sandy: ...still not ready to forgive an forget (Kirsten doesn�t say anything) (sighs) well I better go an pay my respects to Max

Kirsten: you want...some company...some more (smiles) company

Sandy: iiiiii...I don�t think that'd be such a good idea

Kirsten: well Max Bloom was important to you so he�s important to me I would be happy to go to his service

Sandy: oh there�s not gonna be a service

Kirsten: what

Sandy: well Rebecca could never go, the fed's 'd be there waiting for her you know...its jus gonna be the two of us

Kirsten: (stunned) ...the two of you

Sandy: look I...I kn...I know it sounds a little weird

Kirsten: beyond weird Sandy

Sandy: please just hang in there a little longer (Kirsten doesn�t say anything) please

Kirsten: (avoiding eye contact) give my condolences to Rebecca, I�m gonna see why my dad keeps calling maybe I can help him with his lady drama

(Kirsten leaves the room and Sandy watches, helplessly

CUT TO: Caleb�s office - we see through the blinds a very upset Julie yelling. I can�t make out all of it but she says don�t tell me to calm down Cal. the camera then pans and we see Kirsten watching them argue. Lindsay is also there

Lindsay: (whispers) Kirsten

Kirsten: (turns around) uh Lindsay

Lindsay: hey uh Caleb called me last night an asked for me to come over...d'you know what this is about

Kirsten: uh...no (looks back at Caleb) maybe we should go inta my off-

Caleb: (calls) Lindsay, Kirsten please (motions for them to go in)

(Kirsten looks at Lindsay then they both walk into the office)

Caleb: thankyou both for coming

Kirsten: dad maybe we should come back

Caleb: (waves it off) no that�s� unnecessary, Julie an I are finished (Julie doesn�t look happy) I asked you to come here because I want to tell you (motions for Lindsay to sit) uh as long as Lindsay agrees to it (sits) um I would like to formally adopt her (Julie cringes)

Lindsay: (happy suprised) oh my god

Kirsten: dad that�s I...I�m speechless

Caleb: well you may ask why now...isn�t it kinda sudden

Julie: yeaah

Caleb: well actually its quite the opposite (Lindsay listens) after my heart att*ck I realised that something could happen to me at any time (Kirsten smiles) this way Lindsay will be an legal heir an ill know that she'll always be taken care of (Lindsay is stunned)

Julie: an I told you you have nothing ta worry about (Caleb looks at Julie) I will take care of her (Kirsten shakes her head) I saw that Kirsten

Caleb: this is about more then financial security (Julie looks away) (to Lindsay) all through my illness you stood by me...now its my turn (Lindsay half smiles) I would be proud to tell the world that I�m your father

Lindsay: (teary) I don�t know what to say (smiles)

Caleb: (stands) it�s a big step, but should you decide you want to take it I think a party would certainly be in order (Kirsten has a huge smile) don�t you Juju

(Lindsay looks at Julie)

Julie: if you'll excuse me I have work to do...(cold) welcome to the family Lindsay

(leaves)

(Lindsay looks stunned, Kirsten and Caleb look at each other)

CUT TO: Harbor school - Zach is in the student lounge sitting on a couch by himself, reading. from over near the counter Seth watches him. Seth STILL looks like hell, he has wide eyes, he�s holding a pen in his mouth and holding a coffee. he walks over to Zach slowly, spits� the pen onto the table and sits next to Zach

Seth: hey man

Zach: (looks up) hey

Seth: (waves) hey

Zach: Seth how you doin

Seth: good...good...fantastic, so listen I know we haven�t had a chance to talk...since San Diego an I figured I would take this opportunity to clear the air

Zach: you know...don�t worry about it, you me Summer working on a comic book together, it�s probably not the best idea in the first place

Seth: absolutely, I couldn�t agree more an this way...you know we can still be friends so

Zach: (nods) exactly

Seth: yeeeaaah...soooo...(Zach looks at him) you guys have a...good time the rest'a the weekend

Zach: yeah you know we-we had a great time

Seth: great

Zach: yeah

Seth: great, glad to hear it, so what I�m guessin uh...couple good meals, a trip to Sea World (Zach smiles) maybe a trip to the zoo...a little (raises eyebrows) sex

Zach: (frowns) what

Seth: what (desperate) is that a yes

Zach: Seth

Seth: what, you can tell me its ok you don�t even have'ta vocalise it just blink once if you did

Zach: (looks at Seth) what're you doing

Seth: nothing I�m jus making conversation

Zach: oh...because I thought you were trying to figure out if Summer an I had sex in San Diego

Seth: what, I would never do that that�s totally creepy an-an boundary crossing an I would never do that

Zach: (looks at Seth) good

(Seth studies Zach�s face, Zach looks at him and Seth whispers come on)

Zach: (had enough) I gotta go ta class (stands)�

Seth: (desperate) Zach Zach-Zach-Zach Zach (puts his hand out desperately) jus wait a sec

Zach: Seth, go home an get some rest (Seth looks at him) seriously (walks away)

(another guy comes over and sits next to Seth. Seth looks at him creepy and the guy leaves)

CUT TO: The pier - Sandy and Rebecca are leaning against a railing that looks out over the water. Rebecca is holding Max's urn

Rebecca: it meant alot to him...that you were tryin'a help me but...now that he�s gone you don�t need to try (shakes her head)

Sandy: I am gonna help you with your case...tomorrow I�m meetin with a guy involved with the FBI things are finally happening...but we gotta let go of the past (looks at Rebecca) focus on your future...what happened the other night...it cant happen again

Rebecca: (nods) I know...I understand...he always wanted to be scattered over the ocean (smiles and takes the lid off the urn)

Sandy: well...Newport Beach is honoured to have him

Rebecca: (nods) goodbye dad

(Rebecca leans over the railing and tips the ashes towards the camera. the falling ashes fade away and we see an aerial sh*t of the pier {it�s done really well!})

CUT TO: Harbor school - Ryan is at his locker and Lindsay runs up to him, excited

Lindsay: you are not going to believe this (smiles) (Ryan looks at her) my dad wants to adopt me

Ryan: what

Lindsay: (laughs) yeah, he told Kirsten an me this morning, isn�t that great

Ryan: (thrown) yes, its great (smiles)

Lindsay: ooo you don�t think so

(they are now walking)

Ryan: no I jus, well that�s a little fast

Lindsay: well I know an he totally admitted that we still have alotta work to do but (smiles) he was so sweet about...wanting to provide for me an...have everyone know he was my dad I mean I don�t know it was amazing (huge smile)

Ryan: it sounds it, was uh was Julie there

Lindsay: ugh yeah, you should'a seen the look she gave me like I was some scheming fortune hunter

Ryan: well that�s what she understands (smiles)

Lindsay: why should I care...its not like she�s adopting me

Ryan: no its jus you don�t want Julie Copper as an enemy...and I say that having had Julie Cooper as an enemy (worried smile)

Lindsay: ...so you don�t think I should do it

Ryan: no I didn�t say that

Lindsay: Ryan I�ve ben dreaming of this...for my whole life...that id-id find my dad an-an he�d really wanna be my dad...I mean that�s what matters right

Ryan: yeah (smiles)

Lindsay: thankyou (smiles) that means alot

(Lindsay kisses Ryan then walks off. Ryan looks worried)

CUT TO: Cohen front door - we hear the door bell then we see Kirsten open the door. a man and a woman in suits are standing there

W: Mrs. Cohen

Kirsten: (worried) yes can I help you

W: we're agents Stonerock an Tudor (holds up her FBI badge and the man does the same) from the FBI, d'you have a minute

(Kirsten looks at them, worried)

CUT TO: The Bait Shop - Alex is standing behind the bar and Marissa comes up from behind her, suprising her

Marissa: (in Alex�s ear) hey

Alex: (gasps and turns around) oh (smiles) don�t you know your not suppose'ta sneak up on people

Marissa: oh yeah whys that

Alex: because (moves Marissa so she�s up against the bar, and Alex is in front of her) they might be angry (puts her hands either side of Marissa on the bar) (Marissa smiles) so my friends are coming down this weekend an I was gonna have a little party

Marissa: wow, how very Newport of you (smiles)

Alex: no I was thinking that maybe...you would want to invite Summer

Marissa: ...sure, ok

Alex: (smiles) ah no, you haven�t told her about us have you

Marissa: (smiles) I was going to

Alex: its (shrugs) I don�t- I just assumed cause she�s your bestfriend but it�s no big deal you've gotta wait till your ready

Marissa: (leans forward and runs her hands down Alex's face, stopping near her neck) I�m ready (moves her hands around the back of Alex�s neck) ok, like you said she�s my best friend (shrugs) I tell her everything, jus make sure your party doesn�t suck ok (smiles)

(Alex smiles/laughs and Marissa walks off. Alex bites her lip)

CUT TO: Cohen house at night - we see Sandy pulling up in the drive way then we see Kirsten sitting by herself in the kitchen, drinking. Sandy walks in

Sandy: hey...do we have guests (Kirsten motions towards a card) (reads) special agent Jill Stonerock, the FBI was here

Kirsten: well it wouldn�t be the Cohen house if there wasn�t a visit from someone in law enforcement

Sandy: (almost accusingly) what'd you tell em

Kirsten: so now your cross examining me (Sandy shakes his head) I told them Professor Bloom came here two weeks ago an asked you to clear Rebecca�s name

Sandy: that�s it

Kirsten: you mean did I tell them where Rebecca is staying...no I did not

Sandy: I�m protected because I�m her lawyer (raises eyebrows) but if you withhold information your obstructing justice, you could be prosecuted

Kirsten: are you worried about me with holding information or telling them too much

Sandy: it�s not a choice between protecting you, an protecting Rebecca

Kirsten: oh I think it is, an I think you've made that choice Sandy

(Sandy looks at Kirsten, and Kirsten leaves the room)

CUT TO: Caleb�s office - Julie walks in the door and Caleb is sitting at his desk

Caleb: what is it Julie I have alott'a work to do

Julie: we need to talk about this

Caleb: if you mean about my adopting Lindsay I think you've made your position very clear

Julie: oh you mean that I seem to be the only one trying to protect you

Caleb: as I recall, after my heart att*ck it was Lindsay at my bedside you were at a spa in Nice

Julie: you can hold that against me for the rest of our lives but I am not going to let you rush inta this...now for starters an this may be painful, you need to redo the paternity test, the medical advancements in the past-

Caleb: there was no paternity test

Julie: (shocked) what

Caleb: there was no need

Julie: you�re kidding

Caleb: do I need to tell you how transparent your motives are

Julie: after all the money you've paid out over these years with no proof, I jus thought you were a better business man then that

Caleb: Renee is an honest woman

Julie: the kind of honest woman who has an affair with a married man (Caleb looks down) (sighs) look, Lindsay...probably is your daughter but don�t you think you have a responsibility (Caleb looks at her) ta this family you�re sure about before diving inta this

Caleb: ill think about it

Julie: (shrugs) all I wanted (smiles)

(Caleb looks as he�s thinking and Julie turns around to leave, pleased with herself)

CUT TO: Summers bedroom - Summer is in there holding a pair of boots. Marissa is sitting on Summers bed reading a magazine

Marissa: hey so you never told me how San Diego was (Summer looks at her) two nights in a hotel

Summer: hm, well lets jus say (sits) little Zach is full of suprises

Marissa: wow, I see

Summer: (frowns) but I feel really bad I left you alone on valentines, i mean what kind'a friend am I

Marissa: oh its ok (smiles) (sits forward) don�t worry about it (bites her lip) actually I...wasn�t alone

Summer: what, have you ben holding out on me who were you with

Marissa: (goes to tell Summer, but hesitates) no, no I was uh...I was with my mom that�s all

Summer: (frowns) oh

Marissa: (bits her lip and gets off the bed) so listen um...what're you doing tomorrow night

Summer: mm nothing why

Marissa: well uh there�s this thing, a party thing

Summer: hmm well there�s always a party thing, who's throwing it

Marissa: (hesitates) (Summer looks at her as if to say 'well') Caleb

Summer: party at Caleb�s, that sounds awesome yes (claps) maybe a little shuffle board (Marissa looks down) a little bingo

Marissa: (smiles) I jus thought you'd help keep me company that�s all

Summer: (nods/smiles) sure, no prob

(Marissa nods. Summers phone rings)

Summer: oh, sorry it�s Zach

(Marissa looks as though she�s thinking)

Summer: yeah, crab shack sounds perfect, my stomach is about to eat itself (looks at Marissa) (Marissa nods) no I haven�t seen Cohen why, well he always smells kinda weird what'do you- ...what...he asked you what (Marissa looks at her) ewww (looks at Marissa) oh (closes her eyes) my god- yeah ok (Marissa raises her eyebrows) bye (hangs up) hm lunch is gonna have'ta wait Coop I have'ta go kick Cohen�s pervy little ass

CUT TO: The pier - Sandy is there meeting a guy in a suit

Sandy: (runs over) hey Ross its good to see ya, an thanks for makin the trek all the way from LA (sits)

Ross: no problem (shakes Sandy�s hand) (sits) any excuse to get outta the office (Sandy laughs) how�s Kirsten

Sandy: (nods) she�s fine...despite the nice chat she had last night with two'a your colleagues

Ross: you think I sent em, come on you asked me to enquire about Rebecca Bloom (Sandy looks at him) people got curious

Sandy: oh, fair enough (sits forward) so what'd you find out

Ross: even if she turns herself in, co operates she�s still gonna do serious time

Sandy: even if we can prove she wasn�t there

Ross: a man d*ed Sandy, an it was her key that let him in the lab...what'd you expect a judge is gonna let her walk, no chance...can we talk as friends for a second

Sandy: I thought we were

Ross: ...I did my homework...you were involved with Rebecca Bloom

Sandy: I was...over twenty years ago

Ross: that�s right, a woman who's ben on the run for twenty years suddenly meets this white knight from her past who wants to help her, d'you have any idea what your getting yourself into

Sandy: o'course I do...her father was a dear friend'a mine...I owe him

Ross: what about what you owe your family...your wife...if you think you know this woman you don�t (Sandy looks at him) she could bring you down

Sandy: well thanks for your help (stands) ...an keep your people away from my wife

CUT TO: Lindsay�s house - we hear a door bell then we see Renee open the door. Julie is standing there

Julie: hi, Renee right...Lindsay�s mom (Renee nods) I�m Julie Cooper-Nichol Caleb�s wife

Renee: uh h-how can I help you (frowns)

Julie: well actually I thought I could help you...its this adoption business I wanted to give you a heads up (Renee listens) it looks like Caleb is going to ask for a DNA test after all

Renee: what

Julie: look no one is suggesting that Caleb isn�t the father I mean after all you would've said something right, all these years you've ben taking his money (Renee looks at her) ...god otherwise that would be like fraud wouldn�t it

Renee: what exactly are you implying

Julie: oh nothing, nothing at all just...well if you do have any doubts, about how the test might affect Lindsay...maybe this adoption isn�t such a great idea, I�m sure you could come up with a diplomatic way to talk her out of it

Renee: (had enough) you know thankyou for advice but if you don�t mind

Lindsay: (calls out) mom who�s there (comes to the door) Julie

Julie: (smiles) Lindsay, I jus came by to remind your mom about the party tomorrow night, I hope she can make it

Renee: ill try

Julie: you do that (smiles) well anyways I should run you two take care (looks) ...what a cute little house

(Julie walks down the path and turns around and waves/smiles. Rebecca looks at Lindsay)

Lindsay: we should put garlic up incase she comes back

Rebecca: definitely (shuts the door)

CUT TO: Seth�s bedroom - Seth is lying on his bed tearing up a drawing of Little Miss Vixen, he dramatically throws the 2 halves over his head. he rolls over and picks up another picture. then we hear a knock on his door

Seth: yeah (rips the picture and throws it)

Summer: (walks in and picks up a pillow) you asked my boyfriend (hits Seth) if we had sex (hits again) ewww (hits) what is wrong (hits) with you

Seth: (cowering) alright I�m sorry

Summer: (hits) that is so creepy (hits) do you know how creepy (Seth grabs the pillow) that is

Seth: ? with the pillow

Summer: ow, seriously what is wrong with you

Seth: what�s wrong with me, Summer look at me (Summer folds her arms) since I got back from San Diego I�ve eaten like seven raisins an a pack'a corn nuts (Summer frowns) I haven�t showered, slept like four hours in the last five nights

Summer: Cohen

Seth: what

Summer: look Zach is my boyfriend, your not, that part of my life does not belong to you

Seth: yeah I know that...ok I know (Summer looks at him, worried) an its weird an it�s creepy i know an you know what I�m sorry (points) I am...very sorry

Summer: well good, you should be (Seth looks away) you�re ripping up your drawings

Seth: (softly) yeah why not

Summer: (closes her eyes) I�m only saying this for the people that have'ta live with you...take a shower Cohen (Seth shrugs) (quickly) Zach an I didn�t have sex (leaves)

(Seth watches Summer leave, and slowly smiles. he lays back on the bed triumphantly)

CUT TO:� The inn where Rebecca is staying - Rebecca is sitting on the couch reading and there is a knock at the door. she gets up and opens it

Rebecca: hi, I had'a feeling id see you again (motions) you wanna come in

(Kirsten walks in with her arms folded, she looks at a photo of Rebecca and Max together)

Kirsten: I�m really sorry about your father

Rebecca: thankyou um Sandy didn�t tell me you were coming by

Kirsten: are you in love with my husband

Rebecca: wow...direct...I�m guessing Sandy doesn�t know your here (sits)

Kirsten: I�m sorry I just-

Rebecca: um...yes I am (nods) I always have ben

Kirsten: wow (smiles) direct

Rebecca: if ya came by to find out if anythings happened between us...the answers no

Kirsten: I�m really sorry for everything that you 've had'ta go through (Rebecca listens) but while you've ben running...we've ben building a family, a life...an he�s putting all that in danger for you (Rebecca looks at her) so you just gotta ask yourself, how much are you willing to let him sacrifice

(Rebecca looks at Kirsten not saying anything, Kirsten leaves and Rebecca sighs)

CUT TO: Cohen front door - we hear the doorbell and then we see Ryan opening the door. Renee is standing there

Ryan: Ms Wheeler

Renee: Ryan hi, uh is Kirsten or Sandy here

Ryan: uh...no but if you wanna wait (motions for Renee to come in)

Renee: (walks in) actually I was hoping to talk to you

(they are now in the living room. Renee is sitting opposite Ryan)

Renee: I need you to help me talk Lindsay out of the adoption

Ryan: (sits forward) what

Renee: she wont listen'a me, she thinks I�m jealous...then we got inta this fight, I mean we never fight just if you talk to her

Ryan: uh w-why would she listen'a me

Renee: because she trusts you...an you know Caleb...you know what he�s like

Ryan: well I don�t know I mean, I know what you mean about Caleb but...he has seemed different since his heart att*ck...an Lindsay wants this so badly, what is it

Renee: ...if she goes through with it...Caleb is gonna ask for a DNA test

Ryan: (looks at Renee) does Lindsay know

Renee: not yet, I love my daughter Ryan an I...I don�t regret anything I�ve done but...(softly) she cant take that test

Ryan: (realises) ...is...is Caleb-

Renee: he (Ryan looks at her) I really don�t know

(Ryan looks at Renee, stunned)

CUT TO: The Newport Group - Caleb and Sandy are there together

Caleb: Sandy thanks for coming in

Sandy: oh I don�t know Cal, meetin at an empty office on a Sunday (laughs) looks suspicious

Caleb: what I have to talk to you about is very private

Sandy: oh who wants to arrest you now, the DEA, immigration oh the parks service, you ben poachin elk at Yosemite

(they are now in Caleb�s office)

Caleb: what can you tell me about getting a DNA test

Sandy: nooo (sits) the adoption party is in eight hours

Caleb: well the papers won�t come through for a couple'a weeks (sits) surely that�s enough time

Sandy: so you didn�t do a test when Renee got pregnant

Caleb: no I didn�t, it was an affair I was trying to save my marriage the last thing I wanted was a medical record of my infidelity

Sandy: yeah for seventeen years you've ben fine payin the bills now on the day your gonna announce her to the world, all of a sudden you want proof, how'dya think Lindsay�s gonna take this

Caleb: I would think she would wanna know the truth as much as I do

Sandy: oh cut it out, she thinks she�s gettin a father...not a blood test (Caleb stands) you brought me here for my legal opinion here it is, ask for the test, you know your a wealthy man with a large family you'd be irresponsible to do otherwise (Caleb nods) but as a father (stands) I say ask yourself if you love the girl, if you do...nothin else matters

(Sandy leaves and Caleb looks as though he�s thinking)
CUT TO: Alex�s apartment - Marissa runs up to her door and knocks

Alex: (smiles) hello

Marissa: hey (they kiss each other on the cheek) I know you weren�t expecting me till later (sees Alex's friends already inside) w-what�s going on

Alex: oh party got started a little early, I thought they weren�t coming till tonight but um hey everyone this is Marissa

(everyone says hey and hi then goes back to what they were doing. they appear to be all girl couples)

Marissa: hi (shocked)

Alex: come in let me get you a drink

Marissa: (panics) oh no you know I actually can�t stay

Alex: what're you talking about

Marissa: well I jus...came by to say hi, ill call you later (Alex is confused) (waves) it was nice meeting you

(Marissa walks away from the door and down the stairs, relieved. Alex follows her)

Alex: Marissa what're you doing, stay

Marissa: (stops near her car) no no I cant I�m...gonna be late

Alex: but wait your gonna come back later right because I really really want you to meet my friends an that in there didn�t really count

Marissa: oh well ill try but Caleb�s having this party at our house

Alex: wait, your ditching me for Caleb

Marissa: well not jus Caleb I mean...my mom will be there too

Alex: oh, wow, now its Caleb an your mom (Marissa looks at Alex) listen Marissa I understand if your freaked out, that�s ok you just have'ta tell me but this hanging with your parents that�s not you

Marissa: ill jus be there for a little while, ok ill jus go score some points (shrugs) that way they can�t bitch when I come an see you, right

Alex: yeah

(Marissa kisses Alex on the cheek quickly and walks to her car, completely freaked out)

Alex: have fun at your party...an tell Caleb an Julie I said hi

(Marissa shuts the car door, lost)

CUT TO: The diner - Seth is stuffing his face with a huge hamburger. he wipes his mouth with a napkin then takes a sip of his drink. he looks much more normal now! he sees Zach come in the door

Seth: mm Zach hey (waves) over here (Zach walks over) hey thanks for comin

Zach: (sits) no problem

Seth: mm I meant to wait (laughs) but I�m starving

Zach: uh you look like your feelin better

Seth: yeah, I am I am (drinks) um, listen I jus wanted to apologise about the other day, ok, I feel like I was outta line

Zach: no Seth its ok man, I don�t blame you, look the fact is Summer an I didn�t have sex in San Diego

Seth: Zach (puts his finger to his mouth) shhh (shakes his head) I don�t think we should talk about it

Zach: no I know its just...you know after you asked me I started thinkin about it (Seth eats more) an its like there we were you know, the two of us in a hotel room on Valentines Day it seemed like the perfect moment, so why did I hold back (Seth looks at him) I mean I know why I held back...its this no sex before marriage thing which (Seth puts his hand to his mouth and frowns) not that I�m like a crazy religious guy or anything like that its jus...I don�t know its always somethin I sorta believed in

Seth: (frowns) but I thought you an uh the tutor (motions with his hands)

Zach: no, no I didn�t say we had sex man, I was fourteen she was thirty...but look, Seth what you made me realise is I wasn�t waiting for marriage, I was jus waiting for the perfect moment, a harmony of girl an place

Seth: oh yeah no ha-harmony that�s fun

Zach: I mean I liked the hotel room in San Diego but...a villa in Tuscany (smiles) (Seth isn�t eating anymore) I mean that�s pretty perfect

Seth: that�s jus awesome, so what you�re saying is then that when you two go to Italy you will achieve uh this...harmony (raises eyebrows)

Zach: look I jus wanna be straight forward with ya Seth ok so you can plan your freak out accordingly (Seth looks sad again) if you wanna punch me in the face right now id be ok with that

Seth: (pushes his plate towards Zach) enjoy (puts money on the table) gonna go home watch some VH1, I think best week ever is on (leaves)

CUT TO: The pier - Ryan is standing against a railing and Lindsay is walking up behind him. Ryan has his back to her

Lindsay: hey

Ryan: (turns around) hey (kisses Lindsay) mmm (Lindsay laughs) thanks for meetin me

Lindsay: yeah I was...happy to get outta the house, my mom an I got in this huge fight so I figured id get ready for the party at my dads, what�s up

Ryan: eh, jus wanted to talk to ya for a minute, before everything (Lindsay nods) are you sure this adoptions the best idea

Lindsay: (looks at Ryan then looks away) (sighs) what

Ryan: right now I mean, I know...Caleb seems like he�s changed an I know I�ve said this before but it jus seems like its a little fast

Lindsay: (shakes her head and sighs) this is uh great...first my mom an now you (Ryan looks at her) what is everyones problem he�s my dad, he wants to adopt me

Ryan: if you jus gave it a little more time

Lindsay: why, wh- so uh what we can go bowling...attend a father daughter picnic I �ve ben waiting for seventeen years

Ryan: I get it jus (looks away)

Lindsay: you think it�s fast...that uh...uh I don�t know Caleb that Julies evil I�ve heard it all (Ryan looks at her) what else is there...I mean what don�t I know Ryan

(Ryan doesn�t say anything. Lindsay sighs and starts walking away)

Ryan: Lindsay

Lindsay: (stops) you know, tonights probably one'a the most important nights of my life (Ryan looks at her, helplessly) an I only want people there who support me so...maybe ill see you

(Lindsay walks off. Ryan watches her then looks towards the ocean. he puts his hands in his pockets and looks down. the camera zooms out on him leaning against the railing again)

CUT TO: The party - it�s now night an there are people everywhere outside. Julie and Caleb are standing with a woman

W: so guys what�s the big mystery, why're we all gathered here

Caleb: well if I told you it would no longer be a mystery would it (looks at his watch) excuse me (walks away)

Julie: you should get another glass'a champagne, cause this is one suprise you won�t already find posted on the internet

CUT TO: Inside the party - Lindsay and Kirsten are together

Lindsay: (worried) is it weird that nobody knows why there here

Kirsten: well that�s my dad, he loves the suprise announcement (Lindsay smiles nervously) well you know I haven�t seen your mom yet

Lindsay: oh yeah uh (shakes her head) she�s not coming

Kirsten: oh no is she ok with everything (Lindsay shakes her head. Caleb comes over to them)

Caleb: Kirsten, is Sandy here yet

Kirsten: no no yet uh he-he�s coming with the boys why

Caleb: oh I there�s something I wanna discuss with him (Lindsay looks at him) business

Lindsay: oh its a...it�s a really nice party (smiles)

Caleb: yeah thanks um...enjoy yourselves (walks away)

Kirsten: oh, looks like everyone�s a little nervous

(Lindsay looks at Kirsten, worried)�

CUT TO: The inn - Sandy opens the door to Rebecca�s room

Sandy: hey Rebecca (holds up bag) brought you some Chinese

(Sandy shuts the door and looks around, the room is spotless. he walks over to a desk and picks up a letter. he reads it then frowns)

CUT TO: Cohen family room - Seth is back on the couch in his robe, not looking quite as bad as before yet. he�s playing the playstation. Ryan is dressed for the party

Seth: seriously what was I thinking, that Summer was in the hotel room saying no Zach I cant I�m still in love with Seth

Ryan: (fixing his tie) well weren�t you

Seth: uh that was kind of a rhetorical question, thanks

Ryan: (sighs) why don�t you come to the party, get your mind off it

Seth: my mind off the fact that Summer an Zach are going'ta Tuscany to have sex...an fall even more in love then they already are

Ryan: (sits) your right, why don�t I stay here we can hang out

Seth: (looks at Ryan) dude you cant skip the party

Ryan: eh why not Lindsay doesn�t really want me there

Seth: course she does, besides you know what I�m fine now (Ryan looks at him, skeptical) I really am I finally realised that it�s over between me an Summer I�m jus venting

Ryan: d'you think maybe you should be venting this to Summer

Seth: (closes his eyes) hell - no, last time I tried to talk to her about things she nearly decapitated me with my favourite pillow

Ryan: I�m jus sayin if you want closure

Seth: no I think closures over rated, I�m more of a fan of open ended unrequited love, ok fine ill go talk to her but if I don�t come back alive (dramatically stares) my blood is on your hands (Ryan looks at him) (wiggles his fingers) my blood, your hands (stares)

Ryan: I�m gonna go now (looks at Seth)

Seth: it'll never wash off (Ryan leaves) your hands (wiggles his fingers)

CUT TO: Marissa�s bedroom - Marissa is sitting on her bed reading a book. what I can make out on the cover says PLEASE k*ll ME, then PUNK. we hear a knock on the door

Marissa: come in

(Summer walks in)

Summer: well there you are (Marissa sits forward and lowers the book) what�s up with inviting someone to a party (sits on the bed) an then hiding in your room

Marissa: sorry I jus couldn�t face it (Summer nods) where�s Zach

Summer: (looks down) I don�t know, confession

Marissa: what�s wrong

Summer: ...remember how I said that in San Diego Zach was full'a suprises (Marissa nods) well suprise (raises eyebrows) Zach doesn�t believe in sex before marriage

Marissa: (shocked) what!

Summer: yeah, but now apparently he�s changed his mind...an guess who's going to romantic Tuscany next week

Marissa: well I mean that�s ok isn�t it, you (shrugs) said you wanted to

Summer: well I did its jus that when we were about to (motions with her hands) (Marissa nods) there was this voice in my head

Marissa: Seth (raises eyebrows)

Summer: an I couldn�t get rid of him (Marissa laughs) ooh an then Zach said he couldn�t have sex an I didn�t wanna explain it (frowns) so I made him believe that I still wanted to but now-

Marissa: well hey look (touches Summers shoulder) tell him you've changed your mind, Zach'll understand

Summer: (nods) I know...I should just trust him...I mean he at least deserves that right (Marissa looks as though she�s thinking) right

Marissa: I�ve ben dating Alex

Summer: what

Marissa: I mean (worried) Alex an I we've ben dating

Summer: (takes it in) w-what!

Marissa: jus for a couple of weeks

Summer: (nods) Alex...(frowns) Seth�s Alex

Marissa: mm-hmm

Summer: girl Alex (frowns)

Marissa: yeah (unsure)

Summer: (nods) huh

(Summer looks at Marissa, Marissa looks at Summer. she looks scared about losing their friendship)

Summer: well who knows

Marissa: uh (shrugs) just you

Summer: oh...so you an Alex

Marissa: ah-huh

Summer: so are you...are you like a-

Marissa: no, no I don�t know I�m jus (sincerely) I really like her (shrugs)

Summer: well she is pretty hot (makes an I don�t know motion)

Marissa: hey look you don�t have'ta say anything I just...I really needed to tell you (Summer nods and closes her eyes) (unsure) we're still friends right

Summer: (looks at Marissa) course we are (Marissa looks worried) come here

(Summer and Marissa hug)

Summer: ohhh (Marissa rubs Summers back) this isn�t turning you on (screws up her face) right

(they stop hugging and Marissa laughs and playfully pushes Summer, Summer laughs)

CUT TO: The party - Ryan pulls up in the car. he gets out and lets the valet take it. he looks over and sees Renee arrive, he walks over to her

Ryan: Ms Wheeler, what're you doin here

Renee: I have'ta tell her

Ryan: (stands in front of Renee) uh...alright, alright...ill go get her, bring her out it'll be less public that way

(we are now inside the party. Ryan is walking around looking for Lindsay. Lindsay sees him and goes over)

Lindsay: Ryan (smiles) hi, you came (hugs him)

Ryan: (smiles) hey, of course I did

Lindsay: um everyone�s out by the pool

Ryan: oh great uh wait can you um can you come out front with me for a second

Lindsay: what

Ryan: uh its jus your mom (sighs) ...she�s here she-she wants to talk to you

Lindsay: (looks down) so what are you an my mom working as a team now

Ryan: she�s upset alright

Lindsay: ah-huh ok well um since your just here delivering messages you can let her know that in a few minutes my dads announcing he is adopting me and (laughs) id really like it if she was there...but if she�s not at least I have one parent who supports me (goes to walk away)

Ryan: (holds her arm) ok you cant-you can�t let him adopt you

Lindsay: what're you talking about

Ryan: ...he might not be your dad

Lindsay: (looks at Ryan) what

Ryan: your mom told me yesterday (shakes his head) I-I di- I didn�t know how to say anything

Lindsay: (shocked) no that�s not true, no stop it

Ryan: Lindsay

Lindsay: (louder) stop it, why are you doing this

(Ryan looks at Lindsay helplessly, Lindsay walks away)

CUT TO: Outside at the party - Sandy walks up to where Kirsten is with a group of ladies

Sandy: hello folks, hi w-will you excuse us for a second

Kirsten: (smiles) excuse me (looks at Sandy) is everything ok

Sandy: (upset) well you tell me, Rebecca is gone, what'did you say to her

Kirsten: what

Sandy: you went to see her what'did you say to her

Kirsten: Sandy this isn�t the time or the place

Sandy: (pulls out the letter) dear Sandy I talked to Kirsten an I cant allow you to put your family at risk (Kirsten doesn�t say anything) you have no idea what you've done

Kirsten: don�t put this on me, you could've gotten her another lawyer, you could'a sent her to another town but you couldn�t let go

Sandy: I was trying to clear her name...tell me what ya said

Kirsten: I asked her if she was in love with you an she said she was...an you knew it, you knew it the whole time

Sandy: I can�t help how she feels, it�s not how I feel

Kirsten: Sandy you�re asking me ta believe you, trust you...so do you trust me

Sandy: at the moment, I�m not so sure

Kirsten: then we have much bigger problems (walks away)

(Sandy stands there)

CUT TO: Caleb�s study - Caleb is sitting at his desk drinking. Lindsay walks passed his door and knocks

Caleb: (looks over) yes

Lindsay: hi (smiles) sorry I was looking for you

Caleb: (stands) would you sit down (motions)

Lindsay: (nervous/worried) uh I just thought...maybe we could make the announcement...now you know just (laughs) just get it over with (Caleb looks at her) I mean that�s...that�s alright isn�t it

Caleb: Lindsay (points) sit, please

Lindsay: or um...we can wait (sits) a little th-that's (shrugs) that�s fine too

Caleb: I know how much (sits) that you've ben looking forward to this day...but I�ve ben thinking...I believe that it would be best for everyone if...we postponed this adoption

Lindsay: (teary) (softly) what...why, I mean...what'did I do

Caleb: nothing, but you have to understand for a man in my position why I would require that we do a few (sighs) tests (Lindsay is upset) for safety

Lindsay: (looks down) you don�t think I�m your daughter, have you talked to my mom

Caleb: Lindsay I need you to stay calm

Lindsay: (breaks down) no she�s just afraid she doesn�t know you like I do an she'll saying anything ta keep this from happening

Caleb: you are (stands) mis reading my intentions, this doesn�t mean that I don�t want to adopt you (Lindsay looks at him) its jus that I...I believe in taking every precaution...and I insist that we do...for everyones sake

Lindsay: (laughs in disbelief) I don�t need to take a test (Caleb looks at her) cause I know that my real dad would not treat me this way (leaves, upset)

Caleb: Lindsay

(Julie appears from around the corner, she looks at Caleb and Caleb looks down)

Julie: oh honey...you stay here, ill cover for you ok

(Caleb just looks at Julie not saying anything, Julie leaves)

CUT TO: Lindsay leaving in her car - she drives off and we see Ryan run after her

Ryan: (calls) Lindsay, Lindsay, Linds-

(the car disappears and Ryan stops running after it. he just watches breathless and helpless)

CUT TO: Outside - there are people gathered near the pool and Julie is standing in front of/above them on like a balcony

Julie: excuse me may I have your attention please, thankyou, I know your all wondering why we've asked you here this evening, well (smiles) it is my pleasure to announce that the Newport Group under my leadership is about to launch its very own life style magazine (everybody claps) Newport living will profile hot Orange County trends, events an fashion as determined by me an my staff of...well me (laughs) (everyone laughs and claps) thankyou, thankyou so much for coming (puts her hands on her chest, touched)

CUT TO: Alex�s apartment - Alex is sitting outside on a small brick wall, she has her head down and looks very depressed. Marissa walks up to her slowly

Marissa: hi (Alex looks up and manages a small smile before putting her head down) where is everyone

Alex: (doesn�t look up) oh um turns out I wasn�t really in the mood for a party so the girls went out (looks up) how was Caleb�s

Marissa: pretty much...awful (smiles) (sits with Alex) (sighs) listen...I got freaked out

Alex: I know

Marissa: (explains) its just I tried to tell Summer an I couldn�t (shrugs)

Alex: oh (nods)

Marissa: yeah and then I came here thinking we'd talk about it

Alex: an you got even more freaked out

Marissa: I jus figured if I can�t even tell my bestfriend then...maybe I�m not ready for this

Alex: (sad) so your here ta break up with me

Marissa: but then I told her (smiles)

Alex: wait- y-you told Summer about-about us

Marissa: (huge smile) mm-hmm (nods) (Alex smiles, suprised) so where'd your friends go

Alex: seriously (smiles)

Marissa: (puts her hand on Alex�s knees) well you still want me to meet them don�t you (smiles) (Alex smiles)

CUT TO: Summers bedroom - Summer is lying on her bed watching something on TV

TV: relationships are like geese, they fly north in the winter

Summer: so true

(knock at the door)

Summer: (yells) huh what

(Seth walks in and waves)

Summer: (frowns) Cohen (turns the TV off) what're you doing here (gets off the bed) I thought I told you to shower

Seth: yeah I jus came by so you can get one long final look since you will never ever see me like this again

Summer: gee, promise (raises eyebrows)

Seth: yeah I do, listen I was under the illusion that there may still be something here but I know now that it was Zach who didn�t wanna have sex in San Diego so I was suffering for nothing (Summer looks down) have a great time in Italy, have all the fun you want, I�m cool with it...I�m over you

Summer: ...well good (nods) good cause um well I think that�s where we both need to be

Seth: I do too which is you know why I...came down here, I jus wanted to lay it all out�

Summer: (bites her lip) well I�m glad you did because now I can leave knowing that you�re ok

Seth: yeah I�m fine (nods) huh so um uh-hm parting amicably which is-is good its nice (nods)

Summer: see ya Cohen

Seth: yeah alright, see ya Summer (goes to the door) (Summer looks almost sad) hey uh

Summer: hm

Seth: send me a postcard

Summer: (smiles) ok

(Seth nods and leaves. Summer does not look very sure of herself)

CUT TO: Cohen family room - Seth and Ryan are sitting on opposite ends of the couch watching TV, Sandy comes in

Sandy: hey

(Seth and Ryan both mumble)

Sandy: is your mother home

Seth: no

Sandy: (looks at the TV) what're you watching

at the same time:

Seth: hell boy

Ryan: hell boy

Sandy: oh, what�s it about

Ryan: see hell boy was adopted by this scientist an raised to be a hero

Seth: but...turns out his destiny is ta open the gates'a hell so

Ryan: so he tries to do good but...he usually ends up destroying everything

Sandy: well that�s my kinda hero (puts the Chinese down) (Seth moves closer to Ryan) so (sits, taps Seth�s leg) how was your night

Seth: uh sucks, Summer hates me

Sandy: an yours

Ryan: (looks at Sandy) Lindsay hates me

Sandy: (nods) well how bout some Chinese, take the edge off

Seth: (screws up his face) I can�t

Ryan: its (screws up his face)

Seth: ick

Sandy: (laughs) yeah, me neither

Fade out