02x16 - The Blaze of Glory

All episode transcripts for the TV show "The O.C.". Aired August 2003 - April 2007.*
Watch/Buy Amazon

A troubled youth becomes embroiled in the lives of a close-knit group of people in the wealthy, upper-class neighborhood of Newport Beach, Orange County, California.

02x16 - The Blaze of Glory

Post by bunniefuu »

Opening scene - Harbor school in the morning - we see kids doing different things then we see Seth and Ryan walking together outside

Seth: hard to believe it but spring is here

Ryan: yep, this years jus flyin by

Seth: yeah, an you know I gotta say this year...not as good as last

Ryan: you think

Seth: I do, I mean look we all tried some new things an that was fun

Ryan: mm-hmm

Seth: uh yard guys, illegitimate daughters, less fighting (Ryan nods) more live music

Ryan: well maybe you remember last year as better cause it was all new

Seth: so you think i've sentimentalised the past all out of proportion

Ryan: yeah, come on I mean, we can't keep livin in last year

Seth: sure we can (Ryan looks at him) an check this out man (they stop walking) things are already goin back to the way they were, I'm back together with Summer, your single again

Ryan: (nods) I think I know where this is going

Seth: yeah ill tell you where it's goin, it's goin to the Harbor school pep rally bonfire (points)

(Ryan turns around and we see a banner being raised up in the air. it is a maroon colour and in big white letters is the word SPRING BONFIRE either side of that in smaller letters is PEP RALLY. and underneath spring bonfire is a line of fire)

Seth: come on (Ryan turns back to him) you could rally a little pep couldn't you (Ryan shakes his head) especially if you invited a-

Ryan: don't say it

Seth: ooooh it would be so last year though

Ryan: there is nothin goin on with me an Marissa

Seth: really

Ryan: yeah

Seth: so, there's jus no feelings there whatsoever you couldn't care less

Ryan: (looks away) it's not about that, besides (points) she's...clearly already taken

(we see Marissa getting out of Alex's jeep. she smiles and waves bye to Alex who is driving. Ryan and Seth are watching)

Seth: I don't know I don't see any chemistry there...maybe we should ask em to kiss...real slow like

(Marissa walks up to them)

Seth: hey

Marissa: hey

Seth: (points) couldn't help but notice the uh bonfire banner

Marissa: oh don't talk to me about it, its ben so stressful, I can't even find someone to design the bonfire

Seth: mm (looks at Ryan)

Marissa: (looks at Ryan) but you guys are coming right

Ryan: (frowns) uh I don't know it's a pep rally (Marissa looks at him)

Seth: yeah a bonfire pep rally (hits Ryan's arm) you bet we are

Marissa: ok cool, well I'm gonna be late (starts walking away)

Seth: ok, hey Ryan your going the way of lockers an classrooms why don't you walk her, might be a nice gesture (Ryan looks at him, not impressed)

Marissa: ok, thanks

Seth: no problem (waves, pleased with himself)

Ryan: (walking away) live in the now Seth

Seth: I'm sorry I'm afraid I can't do that, bye

(Summer walks up from behind)

Summer: hi (hits Seth's arm)

Seth: hey (goes to kiss Summer)

Summer: hey, ohh (puts her hand up) no, don't even think about it Cohen, we have lived through enough of their pain an suffering

Seth: yeah an it was awesome

Summer: do not meddle with Ryan an Marissa their like combustible

Seth: yeah Summer an what better place (Summer sighs) for said combustion...(enthusiastic) then the Harbor school (wiggles his fingers) pep rally bonfire (Summer looks at him) oooooh (wiggles his fingers more)

Summer: (looks at Seth) your kinda creeping me out (walks away)

Seth: I'm ok with that (smiles) (Summer keeps walking) hey Summer (follows) come on

(the camera zooms out and we see the banner from a little away, in the distance Seth has caught up to Summer and puts his arm around her {aww})

Theme song - California by Phantom planet

Golf course - we see an aerial view of the green and then we see a golf ball sitting on a tee, the camera gradually moves up to show the golf club and then the person holding the golf club. Kirsten is dressed in a not so flattering golf outfit, she does have a cute visor on though. Sandy's voice is heard but we can't see him yet

Sandy: (off screen) alright nice an easy now start that shoulder turn, keep your eye on that ball maintain the spine angle, c'mon turn those shoulders (on screen) (Kirsten raises to swing) (excited) finish that turn feel that weight shift, ya feel the (looks at Kirsten who is looking at him) alright I'm jus gonna stand here, nice an quietly (Kirsten nods) but supportively, alright

(Kirsten swings and hits the ball, it doesn't go far or high, she puts her hand on her hip)

Sandy: wow (looks at Kirsten) that was good, your feet were a little busy maybe quiet your feet down, c'mon try it again (pushes a golf ball towards the tee with his club)

Kirsten: no more try's (Sandy looks at her) I hate golf, I suck at golf, I no longer wanna play golf (shakes her head)

Sandy: honey you could only get better

Kirsten: ill have'ta take your word for it

Sandy: c'mon we could play together...an you look so cute in that visor

Kirsten: I do (Sandy nods) I gotta go, we're putting together our first issue (sits) of Newport living an we're tryin'a figure out what photo of Julie to use on the cover

Sandy: talk about Sophie's choice, so who'd ya finally get to edit the Medusa monthly

Kirsten: Carter Buckley (unties her shoes) he's really great, he uh wants to take it beyond gossip an dish, focus on culture, local art scene

Sandy: so it's really more of a pamphlet then a magazine (Kirsten looks at him) (laughs) Carter Buckley, now what's he done before

Kirsten: oh a bunch'a stuff, a magazine uh called the ugly American

Sandy: yeah

Kirsten: National Geographic, GQ, and he self published a magazine called revolution

Sandy: (looks up) you gotta be kidding

Kirsten: (suprised) you know it

Sandy: that was the magazine of Berkeley's left wing, portraits of the misunderstood the marginalised, the crackpots

Kirsten: an entire magazine about losers (smiles)

Sandy: oh but lovable ones, I read it religiously, wow I'm impressed, you know id love to meet him

Kirsten: well uh ill uh ill set something up (walks over to Sandy)

Sandy: (sees Kirsten's hand) you found your wedding ring

Kirsten: uh yeah behind some cushions, thanks for the lesson (kisses Sandy)

(Kirsten leaves and Sandy goes back to practicing his swing)

CUT TO: Harbor school - Seth walks out of a classroom looking frustrated, then he spies Marissa at her locker. he goes to walk over to her but hesitates, he goes again and again shakes his head and turns the other way, he waits a second then mouths 'yeah' and walks over. Marissa puts some books into her bag

Seth: hello Marissa

Marissa: hey Cohen

Seth: you seem stressed, a little distracted

Marissa: yeah well it's this bonfire, it would be really great if we had...you know a (shrugs) bonfire

Seth: well Coop, I think I got what ails ya

Marissa: (looks at Seth) first of all only Summer calls me Coop

Seth: yeah but I figured we're back together now an you know if A=C an B=C then A=B, you know what I'm sayin (raises eyebrows)

Marissa: no, I really don't, so what's your plan, whose your social chair saviour (raises eyebrows)

Seth: (makes a weird motion with his face) Ryan

Marissa: (smiles, shuts her locker) Mr. water polo, I don't think so

(they are now walking)

Seth: (points) yeah but think about this, that guy worked in no-no-no he toiled in an actual construction job (Marissa listens) also he enjoys architecture an burning stuff down

Marissa: he did torch Caleb's model home (Seth nods) but I don't know I mean d'you think he'd say yes

Seth: to you, how could he resist...especially now that Lindsay's gone the kids kinda blue

Marissa: (considers this) might be good for him, distract him and it would be fun

Seth: (a little too enthusiastically) yes, yes (closes his eyes) although I personally don't see the appeal, yes

Marissa: (smiles) alright that's a good idea, thanks

Seth: don't mention it (nods/smiles) seriously don't, especially to Summer (serious/stern face)

(Seth walks away and Marissa's phone rings. she looks at it)

Marissa: oooh (closes eyes, answers) hello mother...no I'm not coming home ok, bye (hangs up)

CUT TO: Julie's office at the Newport group - Julie has the phone to her ear

Julie: please do not (beep) (looks at the phone) she's such a little me

(Julie hangs the phone up and sees Lance standing in the door way)

Julie: (sighs) ok like your not creepy enough your just appearing in door ways now

Lance: (smiles) trouble at home

Julie: like id open up to you

Lance: (walks in) well, here if you need me

Julie: ill keep that in mind, what'do you want

Lance: I want my money

Julie: again, good to know...how'd you get passed security

Lance: charm an good looks, now I know you got this magazine ready to launch

Julie: get out Lance

Lance: this is not the moment when you want your somehow perfect reputation undone (Julie looks at him) by one bad decision an some not so flattering lighting, you got three days to get me my money (Julie looks worried) or everyone in Newport's gonna see alot more then your face

(Lance leaves and Julie looks over at the mock of the magazine, then down at her desk - we then see Lance leaving and Kirsten arriving. she goes over to her secretary)

Kirsten: ohhh traffic was terrible, is Carter here yet

Secretary: Mr. Buckley left a voice mail at around three thirty AM, said don't expect him today

Kirsten: (frowns) three thirty, he say why

Secretary: no but I couldn't understand everything on the message, he was...slurring

Kirsten: your kidding...well I guess Julie an I will proceed without him

(Kirsten turns around and sees Julie)

Julie: oh hey Kiks uh can't make the meeting

Kirsten: something up

Julie: just a critical personal emergency but nothing...important (leaves)

Kirsten: well I guess the meetings cancelled

Secretary: I can try Mr. Buckley, see if he's changed his mind

Kirsten: uh...no ill-ill-ill take care of it (smiles and walks towards her office)

CUT TO: Harbor school - Marissa and Summer are eating lunch together, outside

Summer: so how are you an Alex

Marissa: hmm you know, really great

Summer: really great or (raises eyebrows) really great

Marissa: (same tone as before) really great

Summer: thanks for clearin that up for me Coop

Marissa: oh hey can you tell Seth never to call me Coop again cause he kinda ruined the nickname

Summer: (frowns) Cohen called you Coop

Marissa: uh-huh

Summer: when

Marissa: earlier

(Ryan walks over to them)

Ryan: hey, hope I'm not interrupting

Marissa: no actually I was hoping id run into you

Ryan: oh yeah, you were (sits)

Summer: (looks from Ryan to Marissa) you were

Marissa: (looks from Summer to Ryan) I was, I need someone to build the bonfire for us (Summer listens) an I figured who else has worked in construction, likes architecture

Ryan: has b*rned down a house

Marissa: yeah, exactly

(Ryan looks at Marissa, Summer looks at Marissa and frowns)

Marissa: an I thought it would be fun...working together

Ryan: oh you did

Summer: (frowns) you did

Marissa: yeah, besides if you don't do it then the water polo teams not gonna have a pep rally

Ryan: yeah well we can't have that happen, um (Marissa looks at him) sure yeah ok

Marissa: (happy, raises eyebrows) you'll do it, that's great (to Summer) isn't that great

Summer: it's great

(Seth walks over)

Seth: what's great

Marissa: Ryan's gonna build the bonfire for us

Seth: heeey, great idea you two, I love that (Marissa looks at Ryan) makin it happen on behalf'a the school (smiles)

Summer: yeah, yeah you know the idea is just - inspired

Ryan: (looks at Seth) yeah (grins to let Seth know he knows)

Seth: (looks away) well I've got a big test to study for so looks like ill be eating in the library, so long

Summer: oh come on, d'you have'ta go (to Ryan and Marissa) you know, will you two excuse me (goes after Seth)

Marissa: um, so thanks again ill see you after school (stands)

Ryan: yeah sure

Marissa: ok, my place

Ryan: (frowns) your place with Alex

Marissa: yeah, is that a problem

Ryan: no (shakes his head)

Marissa: ok (smiles, walks off)

Ryan: no problem at all...

CUT TO: Sandy's office - Sandy is on the phone, and has a manual in his hands. he has a computer and CD's etc laid out over his desk, and towards the door we can see a cardboard box.

Sandy: oh I looked in the box this computer does not have an access key, look look look all I wanna do is check my E-mail (Julie is standing at the door, Sandy has his back to her) (frustrated) n-no, do not transfer me (hangs up)

Julie: you must'a ben talking ta Marissa

Sandy: (turns around) Julie you scared me...more then usual

Julie: always a pleasure Sanford

Sandy: only Caleb gets to call me Sanford because he wont not, what're you doin here

Julie: official business (walks in) an as a new client I'm not impressed

Sandy: y'know if this is a marital issue I'm goin'a have to decline, Caleb's got me on retainer

Julie: Caleb an I are just fine thanks, and well (pulls out the tape) I'm trying to keep it that way (throws the tape on the desk)

(Sandy looks down at the tape. the picture is Julie with a sweat band on and the words THE p*rn IDENTITY. Sandy looks at Julie, stunned)

Julie: uh-hm

Sandy: (looks back down at the tape) (softly) oh (looks at Julie and picks up the tape) (Julie looks at him) w- um...I uh...I think this is the first time in my life I'm actually speechless

Julie: it was the eighties, I was young I had no money and...it was the eighties (shrugs)

Sandy: well that explains everything

Julie: I'm not gonna give you my whole sob story, needless to say I never thought that it would resurface

Sandy: (looking at the back) so where did this come from

Julie: the artur behind this...masterpiece (sits) his name is Lance Baldwin, he's an ex

Sandy: so you started with a p*rn producer an ya ended up with Caleb, see id consider that a lateral move (sits)

Julie: he wants half a million (Sandy looks at her) or he goes public on the eve of Newport Livings launch

Sandy: oh you gotta go to the cops

Julie: no, Sandy no cops an before you even suggest it no Caleb

Sandy: ...I am so not the guy for this

Julie: (sits forward) Sandy (desperate) please...I am begging you (Sandy listens) forget the company or my marriage...if Marissa ever found out about this I...I mean she's already moved out on me she-she wont take my calls (softly) she would never speak ta me again

Sandy: (thinks) oh it's alright Julie (walks over to Julie) you deal with Marissa an ill...ill deal with the Cournel (Julie looks at him) it's a boogie nights reference, expect alot of em (raises eyebrows)

CUT TO: Harbor school - Seth is in the library with a book up in front of his face. the book is the turn of the screw. Summer comes and stands in front of him, she takes the book off him, shuts it and slams it down hard. Seth looks suprised, he looks at Summer then puts it back up in front of his face, again Summer slams it down hard

Seth: fine don't worry about it I wasn't reading

Summer: (loud) what the hell is your problem Cohen

(everyone in the library says shhh. Summer looks at them)

Seth: (softly) your interrupting very studious people, like me (puts the book in front of his face again) (Summer grabs his arm and pulls him up) ok

(Summer pulls Seth into the stacks away from everyone)

Summer: now no one can hear you scream

Seth: what is your problem woman

Summer: you are, what'did I tell you about messing with Ryan an Marissa

Seth: I was concerned that the water polo team was gonna be without a pep rally this year so I suggested it for the good of the school

Summer: Cohen

Seth: (looks at Summer) (shrugs) they belong together

Summer: no they don't

Seth: yes they do, it is me an you an it is Ryan and Marissa an that's the way its suppose'ta be

Summer: listen up ass hat, Ryan an Marissa separate, both great people that I love, together disaster so stay away from them (Seth rolls his eyes) alright or otherwise more then the bonfire is going up in flames

Seth: I can make no promises (walks away)

CUT TO: Marissa walking up the stairs outside. her phone rings. she pulls it out of her bag and looks at whose calling, she smiles and then answers it

Marissa: hey, what's up

(Alex is on the phone at the Bait Shop)

Alex: nothing I-I jus wanted to see what you were up to after school I feel like we haven't had alotta time to hang

Marissa: I know I just I have this project to work on after school with Ryan

Alex: with Ryan, ah-huh (nods) what thing

Marissa: this bonfire pep rally

Alex: you never mentioned a pep rally

Marissa: yeah well I kind of have a handle on your sense of school spirit

Alex: very good point, um so I guess ill jus see you at home

(Marissa looks over and sees Ryan walking. he looks at her, she holds her phone with the other hand and does a small wave and smiles. Ryan waves and smiles back)

Alex: (waits) hello

Marissa: yeah sorry, ill see you later (hangs up)

(Alex takes the phone away from her ear then hangs up, she looks worried)

CUT TO: Carters apartment - Kirsten walks up to it and all we can hear is music blaring, Carter looks like hell and he's sitting in a chair

Kirsten: (yells) hello, anyone here

Carter: Kirsten, sorry private party

Kirsten: (yells) we had a meeting, you wanna explain what happened

Carter: (swivels the chair so he's facing Kirsten) oh it's just a little thing I like to call (sighs) my wedding anniversary

Kirsten: you're divorced

Carter: no wonder this party sucks...I see you found your ring, must mean your still married...thanks for stoppin by (swivels back)

(Kirsten walks in and turns the music off. Carter gets up and pours himself another drink)

Kirsten: look I'm sorry I just stopped by but you could at least apologise for blowing off the meeting

Carter: (nods) right, yeah, I'm sorry an I'm sorry for all the (sighs) future meetings I'm gonna miss (Kirsten looks at him, shocked) you see now you don't have'ta feel...bad about f*ring me (drinks)

Kirsten: maybe you're not in the best frame of mind to be having this discussion

Carter: an I'm gonna be less self loathing if I'm sober, come on I work for a rag about Julie Cooper...Nichol

Kirsten: no it's about culture, it's about art

Carter: oh come on Kirsten, this magazine is just a photo opportunity for fifty five year old women with twenty five year old breasts

Kirsten: but this is a chance ta turn this community upside down, be subversive, irreverent

Carter: (drinks) id rather be drunk

(Kirsten leaves, Carter sits back down and turns the music back on)

CUT TO: Cohen family room - Seth is sitting on the couch with Captain Oats watching the Valley

Seth: (sighs) you see Oats it was even the same for the Valley (closes his eyes) last year was just better

(Ryan comes in from outside)

Ryan: you an Captain Oats catchin up

Seth: yeah, does he seem grumpy ta you these days (frowns and looks at Captain Oats)

Ryan: eh I know how he feels, this bonfire thing is a disaster (sits next to Seth)

Seth: oh yeah, you an Marissa workin on the bonfire together, that's pretty cool huh

Ryan: not so far, did a bunch'a designs but they all suck

Seth: yeah well I'm sure whatever you come up with Marissa will love you (closes his eyes and clicks his finger) it

Ryan: (looks at Seth) dude there's nothin goin on with me an Marissa

Seth: oh that's none'a my business (waves it off)

(Sandy comes in)

Sandy: hey you guys cool fendin for yourselves for dinner

at the same time: (they both turn their heads towards Sandy)

Seth: sure

Ryan: ah-huh

Sandy: your mothers at work an I gotta run but I'm leavin you some money for pizza

Seth: thanks

Sandy: are you two alright

Ryan: yeah jus school project

Seth: Ryan's working with Marissa (Ryan looks at him)

Sandy: oooh you an Marissa that's nice, just like last year

Seth: hey you an mom have ben kinda workin alot lately is everything alright

Sandy: yeah yeah everything's fine jus busy

Seth: I feel like there's maybe ben some...kinda tension recently

Sandy: well...listen your married ta someone for twenty years your bound to hit a few speed bumps (Seth nods) it takes work but it doesn't mean we don't love each other

Seth: good

Sandy: ok, ill see ya

at the same time:

Ryan: bye

Seth: bye

Seth: did you hear that Ryan, love takes work (raises eyebrows)

Ryan: (looks at Seth) are you referring to me an Marissa

Seth: no I'm stayin outta that, you go work on your cool bonfire...me an Oats are gonna order in

Ryan: (gets up, thinks) hey can I borrow Captain Oats

Seth: sure, but he's a poor substitute for a broken heart (goes to hand him to Ryan but pulls him back) mm (Ryan closes his eyes and waits) (to Captain Oats) Oats (looks at Ryan then back at Oats) if he touches you anywhere weird, an by weird I mean (whispers to Oats) I want you to neigh, as loud as you can

(Ryan looks at Seth not amused, then punches him hard in the arm. he takes Captain Oats and starts to leave)

Seth: ahhh, see your punchin people that's very last year, its cool though

(Seth picks up the remote and puts it in the hand of the arm that was just punched, he screws up his face and puts his other hand on his head, almost crying {lol})

CUT TO: Alex and Marissa's apartment - we hear a door bell then we see Marissa open the door. Julie is standing there

Marissa: (pointed) what

Julie: well its nice to see you too sweetie (goes to walk in)

Marissa: whoa (puts her hand up) hello I haven't ben vaccinated what'do you want

Julie: well I thought that we could talk, face to face (smiles) may I come in

Marissa: no

Julie: don't you think you're taking this a little too far, you enjoy living in...squalor

Marissa: well you an Caleb don't live here so it can't be that disgusting

Julie: I could make you come home

Marissa: what're you gonna do (shrugs) call the cops, i'd love ta tell them all about you

Julie: I could take away your credit cards

Marissa: ill get a job (shrugs)

Julie: you, doing what

Marissa: or maybe ill jus steal (raises eyebrows) you know I'm really good at that

Julie: oh...Marissa come home, please (Marissa looks away) don't throw away your future jus because you hate me (Marissa looks at her) we've all done things in life that we regret but...it is never too late, the doors always open

Marissa: not this one (shuts the door in Julies face)

(we see Marissa lean up against the door and sigh, she looks lost)

CUT TO: Seth's bedroom - Seth has his closet door open looking through clothes, he pulls down a shirt then puts it back. Alex stands in the door way and knocks

Seth: (suprised) Alex, hey you're in my room which (frowns) never happened when we were dating

Alex: (walks in) I hope I'm not interrupting, what're you trying on new clothes or something

Seth: no actually I'm trying on clothes from last year (Alex sits on the bed) ah come in...hi, what's goin on

Alex: now I know this is weird but um...I need your advice...it's about Marissa

Seth: (raises eyebrows) oh ok, well I'm a little fuzzy on your guys relationship so perhaps you have some photos or video that, or things you-

(Alex throws Seth's pillow at him and it hits him in the face)

Seth: I was jus tryin'a be thorough

Alex: (sighs) it's not about me an Marissa, this is about Marissa an Ryan...I just I have a sense about them

Seth: (avoiding it) yeah I have alot of penguin to try on

Alex: oh so there is something going on

Seth: hey if you were this sensitive an neurotic when we were dating things might'a really worked out

Alex: (closes her eyes and sighs) (sincerely) I just I-I really really have fallen hard for this girl (looks at Seth, Seth looks down) please will you just tell me if I am fighting for a lost cause here, are they just one'a those couples that will always be a couple

Seth: is this about the other night at the mall

Alex: what no...I know all about the mall why

Seth: ok so then, big deal they slept in a tent together (Alex closes her eyes) alot of friends would do that-

Alex: I'm sorry did you jus say (opens her eyes) tent

Seth: (looks at Alex) does that...did you think I said that, no no cause I said (Alex looks at him) what did you think, did you think I said tent (Alex gets up) no cause I was saying that they repented for life? I didn't say tent-

Alex: (turns around) Marissa forgot to mention that part

Seth: well th- probably cause it wasn't a big deal

Alex: well thankyou you've ben very helpful (leaves)

Seth: ok wait I wasn't even tryin'a meddle I was staying (looks down) Summers gonna k*ll me

CUT TO: Alex and Marissa's apartment - Ryan is walking up to the door carrying a paper bag, he walks up the stairs and looks as though he's thinking, he knocks. Inside we see Marissa look around the apartment, it's a little messy. she picks up some clothes and puts a cushion on top of them to hide them, then she breathes out and looks around before opening the door

Marissa: (smiles) hey

Ryan: hey

Marissa: oh come in

(Ryan says something about nice, I think he's referring to the apartment but I couldn't catch the first bit cause he says it softly)

Marissa: uh sorry about the mess we're between maids

Ryan: ah how do you survive, ah so where's-where's Alex

Alex: uh working (puts some newspapers from the table up out of the way)

Ryan: got it, its-its

Marissa: just us

Ryan: (near the couch) uh

Marissa: yeah, go ahead (points)

Ryan: ok (puts the bag down on the table and sits) lets see (pulls out Captain Oats) dun da da

Marissa: (sits) Captain Oats (smiles and takes him)

Ryan: yeah Seth let us borrow him for the bonfire

Marissa: ooooh we're not gonna burn him though are we

Ryan: (looks at Marissa) no, no he's our inspiration, figured we'll build a uh scale model so we know how much wood to use for the real thing

Marissa: oh a Trojan horse

Ryan: exactly, so what'do you think (looks at Marissa)

Marissa: I think its perfect (smiles)

Ryan: (looks at Marissa then looks away) yeah it's not bad, so um lets get started, how are you with popsicle sticks (holds them out)

Marissa: (takes them) really good (Ryan smiles)

CUT TO: Sandy getting out of his car - in the window we can see the reflection of a neon sign so we know it's a motel type place. Sandy knocks on the door and Lance answers in a wife beater

Lance: ah, you got a warrant

Sandy: whoa your not suspicious are ya, I'm Sandy Cohen, I'm Julie Coopers attourney...an I'm a huge fan'a your work

Lance: you got my money

Sandy: I'm here to negotiate

(Lance and Sandy walk in the room. a hooker is sitting on the bed)

Hooker: is this gonna be a three way (stands) cause my rate doubles

Lance: why don't you grab some more smokes at the store (hands her money) we got business

(the hooker walks passed Sandy and leaves, she shuts the door)

Lance: you know the offer, five hundred grand makes this thing go away

Sandy: oh well that's no offer that's extortion, she's willing to pay ya fifty thousand dollars, which could finance a handful of your masterpieces

Lance: you need to add another zero ta that offer...otherwise this thing is streamin live on the internet in seventy two hours

Sandy: d'you really think anyone's gonna care

Lance: oh I think Julie will, enough ta save her magazine, her marriage

Sandy: (nods) well...you'll be hearin from me

Lance: its ben a pleasure (smiles)

CUT TO: Outside Alex and Marissa's apartment - Ryan comes out the door followed by Marissa

Marissa: this is gonna be great

Ryan: ah glad you liked it

Marissa: yeah an I'm glad Seth suggested you for the job

Ryan: Seth...suggested me

Marissa: yeah, why

Ryan: nothing, he's um...kinda stuck in the past, thinks that now that he's back with Summer that...y'know

Marissa: (realises, smiles) ah (looks down)

Ryan: yeah, crazy

Marissa: totally (shrugs)

Ryan: yeah

(they both stand there awkward, Marissa shrugs then they hug. it's a loose hug)

Marissa: goodnight

(Ryan starts walking away. we see Alex in her jeep watching them, and drinking beer. Marissa goes inside. we see Alex drink more then she gets out of the jeep. we see Ryan walking towards his car and the beer can comes flying at his head, he leans back and it only just misses him)

Ryan: hey (Alex looks at him) you almost hit me

Alex: I'm sorry, ill try again (slams the car door)

Ryan: what'do you think your doin

Alex: (walks over to Ryan) let me try'ta put it in a way you'll understand (shoves Ryan hard) stay away from her (points)

Ryan: (laughs) Alex there's nothin goin on

Alex: (yells, upset) what're you talking about studying late together sharing a sleeping bag yeah there's nothing going on (shoves Ryan again) at all Ryan

Ryan: hey hey, listen to me

Alex: no-no-no you listen ta me, (points) don't - go near - my girlfriend - again (Ryan looks at her) you understand (shoves Ryan again) me now

Ryan: (moves closer to Alex, clearly losing his patience) (Alex glares at him) walk away

Alex: I'm gone

(Alex walks over to the apartment and Ryan just watches)

CUT TO: Cohen bedroom the next morning - Sandy comes out of the bathroom in a robe with a towel around his neck and wet hair. Kirsten is sitting at the table reading

Sandy: ah I'm sorry I missed you last night

Kirsten: oh sorry I missed you to

Sandy: mm (kisses Kirsten on the cheek)

Kirsten: mm

Sandy: the all consuming magazine (sits)

Kirsten: and you were

Sandy: also at work, on a new case

Kirsten: another Newport calamity

Sandy: no this is one id never seen before (almost laughing) I hope to never see it again

Kirsten: oh

Sandy: hey how bout you an I log a little quality time today

Kirsten: id love to, but I have'ta work

Sandy: ah with Carter Buckley

Kirsten: actually without (Sandy listens) it turns out that Newport Living wasn't for him after all, when he didn't show up for work yesterday I went by his place an I found him...drowning in self pity and...Tequila

Sandy: only a couple'a weeks in Newport an already his spirit is crushed, I never would'a thought that'd be possible, here's a guy who built the whole magazine around people who fought the system, no matter the cost (Kirsten looks at him, thinking) the guy was an inspiration to me (stands)

Kirsten: you know uh that magazine of his, that you loved in college, do you happen to have a copy

Sandy: revolution, yeah I probably do, it's probably in the office or y'know maybe the garage

CUT TO: Ryan coming into the kitchen from the pool house - Seth is already in there

Seth: hey man, how'd it go last night with Marissa

Ryan: things with Marissa went great (sighs)

Seth: good

Ryan: mm...things with Alex (looks at Seth) no so much

Seth: (looks at Ryan then turns away) Alex was there

Ryan: yeah, she threw a beer can at my head

Seth: what

Ryan: then shoved me a couple times, yeah pretty hard actually

Seth: that is one angry lesbian

(Seth turns around and Ryan is looking at him)

Seth: ok, here's the thing...I may have accidentally let a little something slip about you know

Ryan: a tent

Seth: no I didn't, yeah ok maybe, yes I did but I don't understand why she's makin such a big deal out of it, like there's somethin dirty about camping

Ryan: an before Alex an I had our friendly little chat Marissa (Seth raises his eyebrows and walks away) mentioned that it was your idea that we work on the bonfire together

Seth: uh I might've ben the one ta mention it but I don't think I should hog all the credit

Ryan: (means it) stay out of it...just cause your back with Summer doesn't mean me an Marissa

Seth: I know (Ryan looks at him) you were jus a lot happier back then ok so

Ryan: well that was then

Seth: alright

(Ryan puts Captain Oats down on the bench then leaves, Seth watches then looks at Captain Oats)

CUT TO: Alex and Marissa's apartment - we hear a phone ring and we see the scale model of the bonfire. it looks really good. Marissa opens the phone

(Marissa presses a button then listens)

Ryan: hey uh I'm not gonna be able ta make it tonight (Marissa closes her eyes) but uh the woods ordered and you have the plans so everything should be fine, have fun

(Marissa hangs up, disappointed and Alex walks in from the hallway)

Alex: who was that

Marissa: (looks at Alex) oh, my mom (shrugs) more empty threats

Alex: (moves closer) you were asleep last night when I got home

Marissa: yeah, yeah I was really tired

Alex: (sits) you should try sleeping in a tent, with Ryan (Marissa looks at her) (closes her eyes) oh but you (opens her eyes) already did that

Marissa: (closes her eyes) look I'm sorry I was goin'a tell you that its jus, I didn't wanna make it a big deal

Alex: well it wasn't until you lied

Marissa: I didn't lie (Alex looks at her) I just-

Alex: lied (Marissa doesn't say anything) (softly, hurt) no big deal (walks back up the hallway)

(Marissa watches her helplessly, we hear a door slam and Marissa jumps then sighs and closes her eyes, she puts her hand up to her head)
CUT TO: Sandy's office - Julie walks in and Sandy is sitting behind his desk

Julie: please tell me you have some good news

Sandy: well unfortunately Lance is as sleazy as he looks, but not as dumb (stands) he owns the rights to the movie in perpetuity an you were a consenting adult when it was sh*t so if he wants to make money off it it's his prerogative

Julie: Sandy, there's gotta be some way to stop him

Sandy: yeah we could charge him with extortion (shrugs) an get an injunction but that would involve the authorities

Julie: no, even if I paid him off there's nothing to stop him from leaking it anyway

Sandy: look ill figure somethin out, you worry about Marissa ill handle the rest

Julie: I can worry all I want, doesn't seem to help anything, why is it that the one person who knows what's best for their child is the last person that child wants to hear from

Sandy: yeah we had a similar situation with Seth last summer an...all I can say is that sometimes it's not the message...it's the messenger

(Julie looks as though she's thinking)

CUT TO: Carters apartment - we can still hear the music blaring, Kirsten walks up and puts revolution in his mail box, with a post it note attached, she waits a second then walks away

CUT TO: Summers bedroom - Summer is doing Marissa's hair and they are talking

Summer: I don't know Coop, it sounds like a pretty bad fight I mean (shrugs) maybe you should just move home

Marissa: I can't

Summer: because you love Alex an where ever she is that's your home

Marissa: cause it would make my mom too happy

Summer: oh

Marissa: god, what was I thinking

Summer: well ya cant go to the bonfire with Ryan, then go home to Alex (shrugs) you cant ride two horses with one ass (Marissa looks at her) its a proverb (pushes Marissa's head to face forward again)

Marissa: ok well Ryan's not going ta the bonfire

Summer: what why, I thought it was like his idea

Marissa: he didn't say but I know it's because of Alex

Summer: I mean I'm confused I thought Alex wasn't going

Marissa: she's not (raises eyebrows) but Ryan an I were working late at the apartment the other night and well somehow she found out about the mall an the tent (Summer frowns) and well I hadn't exactly told her about it

Summer: (frowns) well if you didn't tell her then who did

Marissa: mm (shrugs)

Summer: (realises) oh I am going ta kick his ass back to last year (leaves)

Marissa: whoa hello Summer (touches her hair) who's ass

CUT TO: The pool house - Ryan is lying on his bed throwing a ball up in the air and catching it one handed. there's a knock at the door

Ryan: not now Seth I'm (we hear the door open) busy

Julie: hi, uh sorry to interrupt you (Ryan sits up) doing whatever it is you were doing, brooding is it

Ryan: (now standing) yeah an right now I'm in the middle of a major session so if you could jus (Julie looks at him) ...what's goin on

Julie: well actually (moves closer) I'm very glad that I caught you before you go to the bonfire

Ryan: ah-ha (smiles) I'm not goin to the bonfire

Julie: oh but you have'ta go

Ryan: what're you an Seth workin on the same team now

Julie: no I'm on my own mission I need help...with Marissa (Ryan listens) for whatever reason that I don't quite understand...she listens to you...she needs help

Ryan: maybe she's happy where she is

Julie: do you honestly think that Marissa knows what she wants right now, she is in so far over her head with this relationship, she's skipping school she's staying out all hours risking everything that's important to her jus to prove a point

Ryan: ok, so what'do you want me ta do about it

Julie: well I know that she wants ta come home, but if she does it for me its like she's letting me win, but if she does it for you-

Ryan: no I'm not getting in the middle of Marissa's life...alright, not again, an especially her relationship with Alex

Julie: this is not about Alex, its about Marissa and her future which we can both see is slipping away from her (Ryan listens) Ryan please help me...convince her to come home...(softly) you know that's what's for the best

(Julie leaves and Ryan stands there)

CUT TO: Ryan driving on the road - we then see him outside of Alex and Marissa's. he gets out of the car and knocks. Alex answers the door, drinking

Alex: what the hell are you doing here

Ryan: (pushes in) I'm lookin for Marissa

Alex: this is you staying away

Ryan: it's not about me I'm here cause of her mom

Alex: (frowns) w-what, you an Julie Cooper a team now

Ryan: yeah, where is she

Alex: she's at her little bonfire

Ryan: alright (goes to leave)

Alex: (goes up to Ryan) no-no-no you remember what I told you last night (pokes) you stay away from her

Ryan: or what

Alex: you wanna find out

Ryan: sure (smiles)

Alex: you go down there, its - on

Ryan: great, you know this sorta thing use'ta be my specialty (Ryan walks to the door then stops) oh, a little word of advice (Alex looks at him) you gotta work this hard, its not workin

(Ryan leaves and Alex slams the door)

CUT TO: The beach - the banner from earlier is attached to two long sticks holding it up in the air. there are kids everywhere and the bottom part of the bonfire is built. Marissa has a clipboard

Guy: is this wood for the hind legs or the front it's just labeled leg

Marissa: um...front I think

Guy: (goes to walk away but stops) uh right or left

Marissa: (puts her hands out) guess, the odds are fifty fifty (smiles)

Girl: Marissa...uh the horses head seems to only fit the...hind quarters what'do we do uh we're running out of time

Marissa: (lost) I don't know ok, I picked the font for the banner, I colour co-coordinated the balloons (pouting) this is not my area of expertise

(Ryan walks up behind them)

Ryan: maybe I can help

Marissa: (turns around) hey (smiles)

Ryan: hey

Marissa: I thought you weren't coming

Ryan: yeah well Captain Oats was concerned that he be well represented

Marissa: mm-hmm

Ryan: he's very self conscious he is...Seth's horse

Marissa: so you gonna stick it out

Ryan: uh...yeah if I'm needed

Marissa: oh yeah, hang on (yells) hey everybody this is Ryan (points) he's gonna answer any an all of your questions (smiles) thanks

(all the kids gather around Ryan holding pieces of wood and talking over each other. Marissa stands back. Ryan stands up so he can see over everybody)

Ryan: (yells) hey (everyone quiets) great, that horse is gonna have its head up its ass if we're not careful, we need'a rotate the neck over to the other side (points) you guys in back you guys take care'a that, I need you ladies (points) right over there, you need'a hoe that area, hoe that thing down (Marissa watches him take charge and smiles) we need to uh we need to set the tiki torches over here (turns around) hey you with the gasoline, away from the fire what're you doin man, alright (claps) (Marissa is still watching) the suns gonna be down in about an hour, we can make this happen ok people lets go lets go (claps)

CUT TO: Kirsten's office - Kirsten is sitting at her desk working and Carter walks in

Carter: well that was a dirty trick (Kirsten looks up) haunting me with my past (holds up the magazine)

Kirsten: (smiles) I was trying to inspire you

Carter: you know lookin this thing over...it feels like a life time ago...what was I thinking making a magazine all about losers

Kirsten: well at least they were lovable ones

(Kirsten and Carter look at each other for a second)

Carter: where'd you find this

Kirsten: oh a crusading idealist who remembers every word of that magazine like it was yesterday (Carter looks at her) my husband (smiles)

Carter: (nods) well ill have'ta meet him

(Kirsten and Carter look at each other again)

Kirsten: so what'do you think (smiles) you in

Carter: you say subversive an irreverent I say Julie Cooper-Nichol, where's that leave us

Kirsten: pretty much lost

Carter: (smiles) well that's pretty much my favourite place to start (sits) I've got an idea, ok it's not really my idea

CUT TO: The Cohen house - there is a knock at the door and Seth opens it. Summer is standing there with her hands on her hips

Seth: Summer hey how are you (puts his arms out for a hug)

Summer: I hope you have some Motrin in the house cause you are about to feel (twists Seth's arm behind his back) some pain

Seth: ow, I jus wanted everyone ta be happy

Summer: yeah well nice going cause now everybody is miserable

Seth: ok (screws up his face)

Summer: you need to start apologising starting with Ryan

Seth: ok

Summer: (pushes Seth) go (follows)

(they are now in the pool house. they walk in but it appears empty)

Seth: Ryan, you around...I'm here to...apologise

Summer: he's not here

Seth: yeah I know I can see that

Summer: well where is he

Seth: (puts his hands out) you think he went to the bonfire

Summer: if so we have a four alarm emergency on our hands, break out your hose Cohen

(Seth looks down towards his uh-hm "hose" {lol})

Summer: (closes her eyes) it's a metaphor

Seth: (laughs) I know

CUT TO: Lance's room - Sandy knocks on the door and Lance opens it

Lance: you got me my money

Sandy: I got this (holds up paper)

Lance: (reads it then looks at Sandy) you're starting your own film company

Sandy: what better star to hitch my wagon to then Julie Cooper

Lance: so you're buyin the film from me

Sandy: the master, the film an the negatives, we're gonna meet your offer (hands Lance money)

Lance: (takes it) a hundred bucks

Sandy: consider it a good faith deposit, I need two weeks to raise the rest

Lance: I sign this...I get half a mill in two weeks

Sandy: that's right

(the next thing we see is Lance signing the contract. he stands up and gives it to Sandy)

Sandy: an Lance jus so you know, if one frame of this leaks onta the internet (looks at Lance) an I'm not sayin that would happen cause you seem like a stand up guy, we're comin after ya for ten times the amount alright (Lance looks worried) for copyright infringement an piracy...and you could go to jail (hands Lances copy of the contract over)

(Sandy leaves and Lance looks like he just got screwed {lol}

CUT TO: Caleb's mansion - we hear the phone ringing and Julie answers it

Julie: hello

(we see Sandy in the kitchen on the phone)

Sandy: I got some good news an some not so good news

Julie: the good news first, always

Sandy: you don't have'ta worry about the movie surfacing...as long as we pay him which is the bad news

Julie: an where am I gonna get this money

Sandy: your gonna have'ta talk ta Caleb...an hopefully he'll understand

Julie: (laughs) oh yeah sure he will, I am so screwed

Sandy: oh I know, I saw the footage

(Julie doesn't look impressed)

CUT TO: The beach - we see the Trojan horse now completed. it looks great! there are cheerleaders dancing, music and clapping. everyone's having a good time. Marissa is wearing a Harbor sweatshirt. she walks over to Ryan

Marissa: (smiles) this is going great

Ryan: (turns around and smiles then it goes) not for long

(Marissa turns around to where Ryan is looking. we see Alex walking up with 2 rough looking guys)

Marissa: (smiles) hey, what are you doing here (Alex looks at Ryan) are these your friends

Alex: yeah, there here to see Ryan

Ryan: (smiles) you've gotta be kidding me

Guy: (walks over to Ryan) why do you think this is funny

Marissa: hey

(the 2 big guys push Ryan)

Marissa: guys stop it, guys seriously stop it (stands in front of Alex) (yells) ok cut it out

(the cheerleaders stop dancing and everyone goes quiet. Ryan is standing between the 2 guys with his arms out keeping them away from him. Marissa sees that everyone is looking at them)

Marissa: oh no not you guys, you guys are great (claps) go Harbor (puts her fist in the air)

(the cheering, dancing etc starts again)

Marissa: (turns around to Alex) this is between you an me

Alex: fine then lets talk, you an me

Marissa: fine

Ryan: (to one of the guys) I like the wrist cuff

(Alex and Marissa walk away from everybody to a deserted spot further down the beach)

Marissa: you wanna tell me what the hell is going on

Alex: I jus wanna talk

Marissa: you wanna talk, why don't you tell me why you brought two skeazy ex cons to my school bonfire

Alex: (yells) I am sorry if I interrupted your bonfire it jus seems like that's all you ever do lately

Marissa: (yells) well I didn't realise moving in with you meant giving up my life

Alex: I didn't ask you to give up your life, all I ever wanted was to be apart of it

Marissa: well this (points) is my life ok...that's it...so what'do you think

(Alex looks at Marissa, Marissa sits down on a log. Alex goes and sits across from her)

Alex: (upset) ...I think...this is your life...(almost crying) an I don't fit in (Marissa looks away) pep rally's, cheerleaders...boys

Marissa: nothing happened with Ryan

Alex: yeah not yet but what'do you give it a week, a month

(Marissa looks down, upset. Alex is looking away as well, teary)

Marissa: (upset) I really wanted this to work between us (a tear falls) (Alex nods) look I'm sorry if I hurt you

Alex: (closes her eyes) I'm sorry...that I brought two skeazy ex cons to your bonfire (Marissa smiles) actually one of them ever really served time but

Marissa: (nods, looks at Alex) ...so what happens now

Alex: who knows...think I might go back home (Marissa looks shocked and heartbroken) save some money, go back to school (nods) that actually looks kinda fun

Marissa: (turns around) yeah, from really far away (smiles)

(Alex looks at Marissa, teary. Marissa looks at Alex just as sad then they both stand up and hug. Alex holds onto Marissa tightly. Marissa holds onto Alex tightly, another tear fall and she sniffs. Alex has her head buried in Marissa's shoulder with her eyes closed, after a little while they pull apart)

Alex: come on...your gonna miss the human pyramid (laughs) (Marissa laughs)

(they both walk back over towards the bonfire together. we see the cheerleaders making the pyramid. everyone claps and cheers)

Ryan: (to one of the guys) pretty good huh (the guy doesn't say anything) not inta the school spirit thing that's cool

(Ryan looks at his watch and Alex touches his back. he turns around. Marissa is standing behind Alex)

Alex: I'm sorry (sniffs) it wasn't about you

Ryan: I know, that's ok

(Alex turns around and looks at Marissa, Marissa looks at Alex one last time. they both half smile then Alex walks off with the 2 rough guys. Marissa watches Alex leave for a second then moves closer to Ryan)

Ryan: you ok

Marissa: yeah (nods and looks down, sad {it reminds of when Jimmy left and she's in the Cohen kitchen, that's the look she has})

(Ryan puts his arm around her shoulder and they turn and face the bonfire)

Marissa: now all that's left is lighting the bonfire (Ryan looks at her)

(Seth and Summer arrive further up the beach, they watch from a distance)

Summer: (frowns) well I don't hear any screaming

Seth: I don't see any ambulances

Summer: maybe we're here just in time

Seth: or maybe someone was right (we see Ryan and Marissa walking over to the bonfire together, Ryan still has his arm around her) all along (points) (Summer looks at him)

(a guy dressed as a pirate hands the torch to Marissa. Ryan is standing next to her with his arm around her shoulder still {awww}

Marissa: thanks (to Ryan) you know what this honors yours (hands Ryan the torch)

Ryan: (thinks) we built it together, lets burn it together

(Marissa smiles and holds the torch as well. they lean forward and light it, both smiling. we see the fire start to go up the wood then we see them walking away. Summer and Seth walk down towards them just as the fire gets bigger and more intense)

Seth: hey, I think Captain Oats would be very proud (Marissa smiles) or deeply disturbed by this visual

(Marissa and Ryan turn around to watch. the fire is much higher now and starting to burn the horse)

Summer: you guys it's so good

Marissa: thanks Seth, for making it all happen

Seth: (to Summer) oh see that there thanking me, that's nice

Summer: so what'do you guys wanna do now

(Marissa looks at Ryan)

Ryan: (looks at Marissa) feel like goin home

(Marissa closes her eyes and nods and smiles. they look back at the fire. Seth puts his arm around Summer and we see the bonfire burning. we see it from a bit away, and we see the four of them standing