02x23 - The O.Sea

All episode transcripts for the TV show "The O.C.". Aired August 2003 - April 2007.*
Watch/Buy Amazon

A troubled youth becomes embroiled in the lives of a close-knit group of people in the wealthy, upper-class neighborhood of Newport Beach, Orange County, California.

02x23 - The O.Sea

Post by bunniefuu »

Opening scene - The pool house - It's almost pitch black inside, and its early morning. we hear the door open and Seth walks in and then closes the door behind him. Ryan is sound asleep

Seth: (whispers) Ryan (moves closer to the bed) Ryan (sits down beside the bed) (louder) hey Ryan

(Ryan gasps and abruptly sits up in bed, startled. Seth grins {lol})

Ryan: (breathes heavily, frowns) what time is it

Seth: (turns on the lamp) iiiiiiits five thirty...ish

Ryan: showin up earlier an earlier

Seth: yeah well, we have alotta ground to cover (Ryan lies back down) so I figured, since we're both up we may's well...get a jump on it

Ryan: yeah, no, we've ben over this, Summer doesn't want you, she doesn't want Zach, all there is to it (turns the lamp off) goodnight (rolls onto his side, facing away from Seth)

Seth: (turns the lamp back on) something occurred to me, a new wrinkle

Ryan: about? the prom

Seth: yeah, an I have'ta convince Summer to go with me, we (raises eyebrows) as a couple Ryan, must partake in the magical rite of passage known as the prom

Ryan: yeah-yeah-yeah you mean people getting drunk, makin out, throwing up on the gym floor (screws up his face)

Seth: no I mean romance Ryan (Ryan looks at him) I mean tuxedos, corsages, the limousines (claps)

Ryan: I don't know man, I don't see Summer really buyin inta the prom thing

Seth: well you're wrong about that, Summers ben fantasizing about prom since fifth grade

Ryan: (looks at Seth) how do ya know that

Seth: (matter of factly) sat behind her an Marissa in computer class...I really...honed my eaves dropping skills that year, point is, Summers for-ever dreamt of going to the prom an I in turn, would dream of going with her (looks at Ryan)

Ryan: well you need'a get that outta your mind (points) if it helps at all, I don't think I'm gonna go either (leans up on his elbows)

Seth: look jus cause you saw Trey leaving Marissa's does not mean there hooking up

Ryan: yeah, what'does it mean

Seth: maybe he went over to borrow something like a book (claps his hands lightly) or one of her newsboy caps

Ryan: yeah, maybe they hooked up

Seth: ok your jus married to the worst possible scenario huh

Ryan: (sits up, sighs) look I'm gonna talk to her about it today but wh-wh whatever happened she seems deadset on keeping it from me

(the phone rings)

Seth: kinda early for a phone call

Ryan: (looks at Seth) kinda early for alotta things

Seth: (answers) hello, dad where...where are you (Ryan looks at him) oh my god...ok uh yeah (looks at Ryan) we'll be right there (hangs up)

Ryan: (worried) what is it

Seth: (frowns) my mom got in a car accident she's at the hospital (stands)

(Ryan quickly gets out of bed)

Theme song - California by Phantom Planet

The hospital - we see an exterior sh*t of the hospital, and then we see Kirsten lying in a hospital bed. Sandy is watching her but we can only see his reflection in the glass, not actually him. he looks worried. the sh*t changes and we see a close up of Kirsten. she has a big gash on her head a little lower down to where Trey has his. she opens her eyes just as Sandy comes in

Sandy: (Kirsten looks at him helplessly) oh honey, I am so glad your ok (sits on the bed)

Kirsten: (closes her eyes) I'm so sorry

Sandy: we'll get through this (kisses Kirsten's head) I promise

(Kirsten looks down, and Sandy looks down as well. Kirsten opens her hand and we see her wedding ring in 2 pieces, Sandy looks at it then at Kirsten)

Kirsten: (softly) they had ta cut it off

Sandy: well, you were due for an upgrade anyway

(Kirsten smiles. Sandy looks towards the door and Seth and Ryan come in. Seth does a small wave. they both look worried)

Seth: mom, are you ok

Kirsten: oooh, I'm fine (looks at Seth)

Sandy: the doctors say she has a concussion, but fortunately no internal injuries

Ryan: (frowns) what happened

Kirsten: talking on the cell phone, it was stupid (Sandy looks at her) thank god for air bags

Ryan: well is there anything we can do (looks at Seth)

Kirsten: oh not a thing (Seth nods, frowning) ill jus probably spend the day on the couch

Seth: well under the circumstances ill lift my parental ban on my DVD collection (nods, frowning)

Sandy: what an honour (Kirsten smiles)

Seth: it is, you can watch anything you want uh house'a flying daggers, evil dead two (an officer comes to the door and Sandy looks over at him) if you must X-men one and two (Sandy leaves the room) but you gotta do one first, that's-

(Ryan says something over Seth but I can't work out what sorry, that guy mumbles alot! lol)

Seth: sorta the catch (to Ryan) no two's better

(Sandy is now in the hall with the officer)

Officer: I don't know what to tell you Sandy (looks at Sandy) she blew point o eight (Sandy nods) look...maybe...if I read it wrong (Sandy looks at him) maybe it was uhh point o seven

Sandy: (shakes his head) I'm not askin you to do that

Officer: (puts up his hand) jus promise me you'll get her some help

(Sandy looks at the officer)

CUT TO: Harbor school - Marissa and Summer are walking together outside. they walk under a huge banner that is hanging up. in small silver letters it says Harbor High 2005 Junior Prom, underneath that in bigger orange fancy letters with white edging it says Under the O. Sea and the background is like a bluey water colour

Summer: so it's an underwater thing

Marissa: yeah but it turns out that's alot more work then I thought (looks at Summer) d'you have any idea how to make a paper mach'e octopus

Summer: no, but maybe Ryan could bring you one instead of a corsage

Marissa: (sighs) I don't think Ryan's gonna be bringing me anything (drinks water)

Summer: but...you guys are going ta prom together right (frowns)

Marissa: I wouldn't count on it (sits on a bench)

Summer: (sits next to Marissa) Coop, did I miss something, cause for like a blip you guys actually seemed happy

Marissa: (looks at Summer) its...complicated (drinks)

Summer: well its you an Ryan its suppose'ta be

Marissa: can we not talk about this anymore

Summer: ...yeah (looks Marissa up and down) Coop, are you ok

Marissa: fine, I'm fine, so everyone's saying your gonna be voted prom queen, isn't that like your fifth grade dream coming true

Summer: no, my dream involved an actual date, a hot guy in a tux with a carnation pinned to his lapel (thinks) instead I'm drawing straws between nerd boy an ass clown

Marissa: so what're you gonna do, not go

Summer: (shrugs) exactly, if I go I have to decide between Seth an Zach, fast forward to prom (frowns) there's me standing alone while the two of them wrestle on the floor like two girls in a mud pit

Marissa: Sum, I'm building the lost city of Atlantis out of streamers an tape you gotta at least show up

Summer: fine, if you work out your mysterious issues with Ryan (tips her head) then maybe ill go

Marissa: (looks away) ...I wouldn't hold my breath (drinks)

(Summer looks at Marissa, frowning)

CUT TO: Cohen house - we see Julie come through the front door, and Sandy is in front of her holding a big gift basket

Julie: so, how is she

Sandy: weeelll the doctor said she'll be fine, she's resting now I (shakes his head) I should'a seen this coming

(they are now walking into the kitchen)

Julie: so she's ben hittin the bottle a little hard lately, its ben a rough couple of weeks for everyone...even me (puts her bag down)

Sandy: (looks at Julie) ok, ill bite...so what's the problem

Julie: Sandy (puts her hand on her hip) I did not come here to talk about myself (Sandy looks at her) but as long as we're on the subject I (squints) could kind of use your advice (pulls out a piece of paper from an envelope)

Sandy: (puts out his hand) hey if this involves you being naked, please y-y you gotta warn me

Julie: (makes a 'very funny' expression) its my pre nup (hands it to Sandy)

Sandy: ooooh (reads) well it says here if you an Caleb 've ben married for a year you get three million dollars at least (Julie puts her hands up to her face) if you have ben married for less then a year you get...nothing (looks at Julie, raises eyebrows)

Julie: eleven months, twenty seven days, why do you think he's in a such a rush to divorce me

Sandy: I'm not suprised, he's a wily old guy

Julie: he's a...cheap son of a bitch who wants to throw me out on the street, Sandy please you've gotta find a loop hole

Sandy: I don't know Julie this looks iron clad to me, all Caleb has'ta do is file the papers by Monday with the county clerk (hands Julie the pre nup) unless you can figure out a way ta stop him...your outta luck

(Julie looks as though she's thinking)

CUT TO: Harbor school - Zach is at his locker and Seth hesitantly goes over

Seth: hey (small wave)

Zach: (turns around) Cohen (shuts his locker)

Seth: dude (sighs) I'm so sorry about the launch, I had a (Zach sighs) Bruce Banna moment

Zach: yeah...eh we're both to blame lets put it behind us (shakes Seth's hand)

Seth: ok look it never happened

Zach: (nods) yep

Seth: ok (points) I'm goin...this way

Zach: (follows) you think Summers willing to forget about it

Seth: sure, if she sees how mature we're bein (Zach nods) right, look how much we've grown since the other day we're shakin hands, we're usin brains instead'a braun

Zach: we're no longer ruled by our Y chromosomes

Seth: no, we're cilvilised gentleman Zach (Zach frowns) we can handle any situation with grace an dignity

(they are now in the student lounge)

Zach: ooo here comes our first test

(Summer walks over to them)

Seth: Summer, hey (Zach smiles) we were both jus talkin an-

Summer: save it Cohen

Seth: ok

Summer: I'm done listening to your excuses

Zach: Summer we're really sorry, are you...willing to forgive us

Summer: nope (shakes her head) don't wanna forgive you (Seth and Zach look at her) but, prom is tomorrow night (raises eyebrows) an I have wanted to go my whole - life, so I'm not gonna let our demented little threesome ruin that for me (smiles) so I'm going (raises eyebrows) with one of you

(Zach and Seth both look happy)

Seth: well which one of us are you gonna take

Summer: don't care, I am too pissed off an tired ta choose (raises eyebrows) so your gonna decide, don't care how, but tomorrow I will be infront'a my house in a dress an one of you (raises eyebrows) will pick me up, got it, good (walks between them then stops) oh, you know my dress is a magenta colour so my corsage should be in that general family (smiles)

Zach: dude, she's totally hanging by a thread

Seth: (touches Zach's arm) yeah ok ill take one for the team ill...take her to prom

Zach: (frowns) no way why do you get to go

Seth: because dude I sssaaawww her first (nods)

Zach: (confused) that...doesn't make sense

Seth: (nods) sure it does

(we hear a beep and Zach looks at his phone)

Zach: I got a text message from Reed, she wants to meet us at the diner for lunch

Seth: dude (shakes his head) the ladies are all over us but not in a good way

Zach: ok listen, I say we go to the diner we meet with Reed, then we deal with this...Summer thing later

Seth: alright one battle at a time

CUT TO: Cohen bedroom - Kirsten is in bed resting and Sandy comes in with a coffee. he sits on the bed beside her and hands her the coffee, and then holds out a brochure

Kirsten: (frowns) what is that

(we see that along the top of the brochure it says SURIAK)

Sandy: it's the best facility on the west coast

Kirsten: (looks at the brochure then Sandy) your sending me to rehab

Sandy: I'm asking ya (Kirsten looks away, stunned) ta get help (Kirsten sighs) nobody needs ta know we could say your...your takin a trip

Kirsten: in this town a trip is always rehab

Sandy: (looks at Kirsten) all I care about is you

Kirsten: then you don't have'ta worry about me, I'm done with drinking

Sandy: (softly) jus like that huh

Kirsten: last night scared me

Sandy: (shakes his head) you don't jus snap your fingers an make somethin like this disappear

Kirsten: well you do when you could lose everything...an last night I almost did (Sandy looks at her) look (sits up) I'm going to the kitchen now an I'm gonna pour out every - drop in this house

(Kirsten gets out of bed and walks towards the door, Sandy watches her)

Kirsten: (turns around) are you coming

Sandy: right behind ya (stands)

CUT TO: Harbor school - we see Marissa walking up the stairs outside, after a few seconds we see Ryan catch up to her

Ryan: Marissa

Marissa: (looks) hey

Ryan: (sighs and looks at Marissa) look I know there's somethin goin on so jus tell me

Marissa: tell you what

Ryan: I saw Trey leavin your house last night

Marissa: (scoffs) it's not what you think

Ryan: yeah well I asked you what happened when I was in Miami an your not talkin so (looks at Marissa) I'm takin my best guess

Marissa: which is

Ryan: ...you an Trey

Marissa: what, you think we hooked up (Ryan doesn't say anything) you know what thanks alot (walks away) for the vote of confidence

Ryan: (follows) hey look you've ben acting strange ever since I got back anTreys avoiding me what...what am I spose'ta think

Marissa: (angry) your suppose'ta give me a little more credit

Ryan: (moves in front of Marissa) ok fine (Marissa looks at him) tell me

Marissa: (scoffs) I didn't hook up with him (walks away) (Ryan looks over his shoulder) (looks back) an if you don't believe me why don't you ask your brother what happened!

(Marissa walks away and Ryan watches, frowning)

CUT TO: The diner - Seth and Zach are sitting opposite Reed in a booth. Reed is looking at them both

Seth: I understand your probably...a little bit upset about the launch, well, I think one day pretty soon, we're all gonna have a good laugh about this , ha-ha-ha (Zach looks at him) I know that day feels far off, but comedy is jus tragedy...plus time (Reed looks at him, unimpressed)

Zach: Reed we're really sorry, we had a huge opportunity an we blew it...I hope we can make it up to you

Reed: thankyou Zach

Seth: (looks at Zach) I was gonna say that (points)

Reed: look I hate ta give you guys good news but unfortunately I have some...George Lucas (raises eyebrows) is interested in Atomic County (Seth looks shocked) he might wanna make it into his next movie

Seth: oh my god

Zach: (mouth open in shock) this is incredible (huge smile)

Seth: (looks at Zach) oh my god it's happened we're this decades uh-uh (points) Matt an Ben

Reed: look he's coming to town an he wants to sit down with you guys, but here's the deal (puts up a finger) only one'a you can take the meeting

Seth: (smile goes) what

Zach: (frowns) Reed

Reed: face it, you two can't do anything together except whine about Summer, I can't face another debacle I can't handle another debacle (puts up her hands) I (closes her eyes) no, one (hold up one finger and raises her eyebrows)

(Seth and Zach look at each other)

Seth: well which one of us do you want

Reed: unfortunately I am pissed off enough that I don't even care (Zach listens) but George is coming to town tomorrow night so he an I will be at Al Forno's an one'a you will be there (stands) an if either of you utter the name Summer, so help me god (clenches her teeth)

(Reed leaves)

Zach: dude this is amazing, I have'ta go to that meeting, d'you realise what this could do for me

Seth: hold on buddy I've ben dreaming about meeting George Lucas since I was like a fetus

Zach: I thought you wanted to go ta prom with Summer

Seth: (points) I think you said that to, I think you did (looks up, thinking) yeah ya did

Zach: alright uh (thinks) so one of us takes the meeting, the other one goes to prom

Seth: alright

Zach: d'you have any ideas how ta settle this (holds his hands out)

Seth: (sighs) no (frowns, shajes his head) not even one

CUT TO: Cohen front door - Sandy opens the door and Caleb is standing there

Caleb: how is she

Sandy: well she's doin alright, a little rattled (shuts the door)

Caleb: I hope she'd be rattled, drunk driving at her age...is a disgrace

(they are now in the kitchen)

Sandy: what Kirsten needs right now is a little support, if ya can't give her that then (motions with his head) show yourself out

Caleb: I see your employing your usual soft ball approach, that might be appropriate when your son runs off ta Portland but this is a tad more serious

Sandy: I know how to help my wife (looks at Caleb)

(Kirsten comes in)

Kirsten: Sandy (Caleb looks at her) I uh I can-I can handle this

Sandy: ok, ill be outside (Kirsten nods) (to Caleb) behave yourself

(Sandy leaves)

Caleb: I'm glad to see your still in one piece

Kirsten: dad I know you're worried, but I'm fine...see, a couple of sprained fingers, not the end of the world...so (shrugs) how're things at the office

Caleb: (moves closer to Kirsten) you could'a ben k*lled (raises eyebrows)

Kirsten: I learned my lesson, always eat dinner

Caleb: is that the lesson to be learnt here

Kirsten: (looks at Caleb) I made an error in judgment...you should be familiar with that

Caleb: this is not about me Kiki you have a problem (Kirsten looks at him) an my god, did you give any thought to your kids

Kirsten: (upset) I am a good mother

Caleb: (stern) your also an alcoholic (Kirsten looks at him, stunned) your mother was one to, she did her best to hide it but I always knew

Kirsten: (yells) why do you think mom drank the way she did! why do you think Hailey left the house at seventeen, IF THIS FAMILY IS SCREWED UP IT'S BECAUSE OF YOU!

Caleb: (yells) I gave you everything you ever wanted

Kirsten: I may like my chardonnay but I am not gonna die alone AN THAT'S MORE THEN I CAN SAY FOR YOU!

(Kirsten glares at Caleb and then leaves the kitchen. Caleb just stands there)

CUT TO: Treys apartment - Ryan knocks on the door

Ryan: (calls) Trey (no response) Trey you in there

(Ryan takes his phone out and dials a number and then puts it up to his ear)

Ryan: Trey look its me

(we now see a close up Treys answering machine, and can hear the message from Ryan, without actually seeing Ryan)

Ryan: I know you're avoiding me but I need to talk to you so...do me a favour call me back, bye (beep)

CUT TO: Harbor school - Summer is lying on her stomach, on a blanket, on the grass. with headphones on her ears and she's reading some sort of magazine. Zach and Seth walk over

Zach: Summer

Summer: (looks up and puts the head phones around her neck) what d'you want

Seth: we both wanna take you to the prom, now I know it feels like deep down ya hate us both equally, but somewhere, if you look inside yourself (points to his chest) you've gotta hate one of us less

Summer: I've tried choosing, when Seth went to Portland I chose Zach, when Zach went to Italy I chose Seth (frowns) somehow it jus doesn't seem to stick so I'm done deciding I am leaving it up to you guys (smiles)

Seth: well what if we can't decide

Summer: rock paper scissors, flip a coin I don't care how you do it (looks at them both, grins) bye (motions with her hands for them to leave)

(Zach and Seth walk away)

Zach: (frowns) so heads I go ta the prom, tails you go...?

Seth: (frowns) ok fine (pulls out a coin)

Zach: no wait wait wait hold on

Seth: no, no chang'ies

Zach: no I think we should wait (Seth listens) if we flipped a coin right now we're both gonna try an get out of whatever we're spose'ta do, but if we wait till right before the prom

Seth: neither of us will have a chance to back out

Zach: so meet you at your house before the prom

Seth: alright

(they both walk off in opposite directions)

CUT TO: The pool house - Seth walks in the door and Ryan is in there, sitting in a chair. he waves to Seth, he doesn't look happy

Seth: (sits on the step) somethin tells me you talked to Marissa

Ryan: yeah, said she didn't hook up with Trey

Seth: which is...good news right

Ryan: somethin happened between em I know it

Seth: well have you tried talkin ta Trey seein what he says

Ryan: (nods) yeah I went over to his place today he wasn't there, an he's not takin my calls

Seth: alright then your options are A you can sit here an you can spin conspiracy theories about Trey an Marissa or B, you can believe her, now my personal recommendation

Ryan: let me guess B (closes his eyes)

Seth: yes B believe her, an might I add first of all that you have no reason not to, but if you believe her you can put this weird...non fight behind you guys an you can go to prom together (points)

Ryan: (laughs) I don't really think I'm in the mood to go to prom

Seth: you have'ta go, an look, I mean maybe I've seen too many saved by the bells but if its taught me anything it sure has taught me that prom is a seminal moment, ok, its meant to be shared (looks at Ryan)

Ryan: this about you an Summer (raises eyebrows)

Seth: no...maybe, I don't- yes but only because Summer an I aren't gonna go to our prom cause of some stupid fight (Ryan listens) so you should really learn from the error of my ways please, somebody...really should

(Seth looks at Ryan, Ryan looks as though he's thinking)

CUT TO: Caleb's mansion - we hear a doorbell and then we see Julie answer the door, Caleb is standing there

Julie: oh, well (puts her hand on her hip, smiles) is this a booty call

Caleb: not in the least...I've come for my sleeping pills

Julie: oh, well there upstairs (motions)

(Caleb goes in and Julie shuts the door. Caleb motions to Julie 'after you' and Julie goes up the stairs, Caleb follows behind her - they are now upstairs)

Julie: yeah I haven't ben sleeping very well either, this divorce it's so...ugly

Caleb: oh its not that, I had an argument with Kirsten, our worst yet (sighs) I just can't stop thinking about it

Julie: oh, well, I'm jus thinking outside the box here but you could apologise (looks at Caleb)

Caleb: no, couldn't face her

Julie: so write her a letter, say all the things your too stubborn to say to her face (Caleb looks at her) come on, we both know you can't stand ta fight with her

Caleb: sometimes...you suprise me Juju (smiles)

Julie: (smiles) hang on ill get your pills

(Julie goes into the bathroom and opens the drawer)

Caleb: orange bottle, blue an white label, little black an white things

Julie: I know just a second (looks at a bottle)

(we see Julie looking at the label, then the label on the bottle goes out of focus and Kirsten's reflection in the mirror comes into focus. she looks as though she's considering something)

Caleb: I could've found them in half the time without my glasses

(Julie comes back out)

Julie: ok ok, here (hands the bottle to Caleb) now make sure you only take one

Caleb: yeah yeah I know (goes to leave)

Julie: wait Cal wait, would you like to do something tomorrow night, maybe get together (raises an eyebrow,. hopeful)

Caleb: you asking me out on a date

Julie: is that so odd (Caleb raises his eyebrows) alright I guess it is but just think of it as one last hoora, it'll probably be the last night we ever spend together

Caleb: Julie, your not gonna seduce me out of this divorce I'm meeting my lawyer tomorrow to finalise the paperwork an I'm filing bright an early Monday morning

Julie: so send me the papers, ill make the margs, we'll make a party out of it (smiles)

Caleb: (smiles) oh why not, fitting end to a bizarre marriage like ours

Julie: so ill see you tomorrow

Caleb: (walking away) see ya tomorrow (waves)

(the next thing we see is Julie back in the bathroom, she pulls back the top of a hand towel and underneath is a pile of blue and white pills. we hear the sound of the front door closing, and Julie looks as though she's thinking)

CUT TO: Harbor school - Ryan is walking by himself outside and he sees Marissa

Ryan: hey

Marissa: ...hi

Ryan: (sighs) so (Marissa looks at him) I'm sorry...I went off on you yesterday I was confused

Marissa: I get it, you know I've ben kind of all over the map lately to

Ryan: no no you say nothing happened an I believe you (Marissa nods) you feel like going to prom

Marissa: (smiles, excited) you mean it!

(Marissa hugs Ryan and then they kiss)

Ryan: thought you weren't inta PDA at school

Marissa: hm I'm coming around (kisses Ryan again)

(the camera pans passed Ryan and Marissa kissing to show Jess watching them near by, she has a smile on her face)

CUT TO: Cohen kitchen - Kirsten is in there by herself looking exhausted and Sandy walks in

Sandy: morning

Kirsten: (looks up) morning

Sandy: did you sleep at all last night (touches Kirsten's head)

Kirsten: not a wink (Sandy kisses her head)

(Kirsten rests her head on Sandy's chest, and Sandy rubs her arm)

Sandy: listen I'm an expert at fighting with your father (Kirsten half smiles) an believe me every time you think you've driven him away...he comes roarin back askin for more you couldn't b*at him off with a stick (smiles)

Kirsten: oh, but the things I said...

Sandy: he'll forgive you, give it some time (Kirsten looks at him)

Kirsten: I guess so (small smile)

Sandy: (leans down to Kirsten's level) how bout we lay low tonight...we'll order some take out...maybe watch one'a Seth's DVDs

Kirsten: (looks at Sandy) I should try an talk to my dad (nods)

Sandy: if we're gonna get through this all by ourselves...we need'ta get back on solid ground

Kirsten: well I've never seen the house of flying daggers (smiles)

(Sandy kisses Kirsten and Kirsten looks at him lovingly)

CUT TO: Harbor school - Ryan is at his locker and Jess is standing near him. Ryan shuts his locker and notices her

Jess: (smiles) scared you

Ryan: Jess

Jess: walk me to class, feel like we haven't chatted in a while

Ryan: (looks at Jess) what'do you want

Jess: a date for the prom, you taken

Ryan: yeah

Jess: let me guess, Marissa Cooper...does it bother you...getting your brothers sloppy seconds

Ryan: look nothing happened between Marissa an Trey ok

Jess: your getting your chain yanked Atwood, bad

Ryan: alright fine, you got the story id love to hear it

Jess: ask your brother, although I don't think he's to anxious to share since he took off for Chino last night

Ryan: (looks at Jess then leans in closer) (softly) you better not be screwin with me

Jess: apparently, I'm (raises eyebrows) the only one who's not

(Jess smiles and walks away, Ryan looks as though he's thinking)

CUT TO: Seth's bedroom - we see Zach's hand holding the coin, and then we see Seth and Zach standing opposite each other

Seth: ok, I'm prepared for whatever fate throws my way tonight, I have a tuxedo pressed incase I'm goin to the prom

Zach: mines in the trunk

Seth: alright, and if I am in fact meeting with George Lucas (turns and holds up a shirt) I have my boba fett t-shirt

{sorry to all the Star Wars fans, if that name is wrong!}

Zach: (looks at the little shirt Seth is holding up) dude it's a little small (frowns)

Seth: I got it when I was eight (puts the shirt down) hopefully it'll stretch (motions to the coin) shall we

Zach: you do the honours (holds out the coin)

Seth: ok, heads I go to the prom tails you

Zach: great

(Seth flicks the coin into the air and looks up as it falls back down. Zach's eyes follow it as Seth catches it with one hand, Seth turns his hand over and down onto the top of his other hand, keeping the coin covered. they are both looking at Seth's hands. Seth looks at Zach, and Zach looks at Seth and then they both look back down, they lean forward to see the result. we unfortunately don't get to see it! we just see there expressions)

Zach: works for me

Seth: just as I hoped

Zach: good luck tonight man, have fun (touches Seth's arm)

Seth: yeah (nods) same to you

(Seth drops the coin into Zach's top pocket and Zach leaves. Seth waves to him and then we see him frowning)

CUT TO: Caleb's mansion - we see 2 hands breaking open a tablet and the contents fall into a greeny coloured drink. we can now see that it was Julie's hands, she puts the opened tablet with a whole bunch of others sitting on a tray, and then she stirs the green drink {which turns out to be margaritas}

Caleb: (off screen) Julie

(Julie looks worried, she picks up the tray that has all the opened tablets on it, and takes it over to the counter - outside by the pool we see Caleb)

Julie: (off screen, calls) just a second (on screen) I-I'm coming

(Julie takes a breath in to compose herself and then joins Caleb outside, carrying the jug of margaritas)

Julie: oh, your early (smiles)

Caleb: (referring to Julies outfit) I see you've pulled out all the stops (Julie looks at him) one last ditch effort to stop this divorce from going forward

Julie: god, paranoid much, I jus wanted one last night with you (Caleb looks at her, skeptical) an if you don't believe me (picks up a piece of paper) here

Caleb: (reads) you signed

Julie: told ya, so now maybe you can relax...have a drink take a dip, hm (pours the margarita into a glass) here I made it jus the way you like it...on the rocks, plenty of salt

(Caleb takes the glass, and Julie looks almost anxious)

Caleb: (goes to drink, then changes his mind) I think ill start with a scotch

Julie: ok, no hurry on the margs (smiles) scotch it is (takes the glass back)

(Julie goes back inside with the margarita, she looks frustrated)

CUT TO: Chino - we see Ryan walk into that bar/pool hall place from the earlier episode where Trey runs to Chino and Marissa and Ryan had to go save him. {217} Ryan sees Trey at a pool table, he walks over and stands in front of him

Trey: (sees Ryan) Ryan, good ta see ya man

Ryan: cut the crap Trey, you got somethin you wanna tell me

Trey: what'do you mean

Ryan: about Marissa (looks at Trey)

Trey: ...alright, fine let's uh take a seat, get a drink

(Ryan and Trey go over to the bar and sit down)

Trey: uh two seven sevens uh...one seven seven an one just seven (points) (Ryan looks at him) ...when you were in Miami Marissa an I we got drunk together

Ryan: an you came onto her

Trey: (offended) man why do you always assume that it's my fault

Ryan: (looks at Trey) cause it always is

Trey: anyway we were both wasted, really wasted (nods) on the beach an your girl she can drink but she can't hold her liquor (Ryan looks at him) ...look I'm sorry, Ryan (Ryan looks at him) ...she threw herself at me

Ryan: I don't believe you

Trey: look she an I agreed not ta tell you because we thought it'd be better if you didn't know

Ryan: there's no way

(Trey looks at Ryan, Ryan looks at Trey. Trey looks at Ryan)

Ryan: (looks at Trey) d'you swear

Trey: on mom (Ryan looks at him) I wouldn't lie to you Ryan (raises eyebrows, seriously) not about this (drinks)

(Ryan turns around to leave)

Trey: Ryan I-

Ryan: I gotta go

Trey: (stands) man I'm so sorry

(the next thing we see is Ryan walking down the street by himself. he takes out his phone and dials a number)

Ryan: Marissa hey its me um...I'm not feelin well so...I'm not gonna make prom...sorry (hangs up)

(Ryan goes to walk away, and he stops when he hears Theresa's voice)

Theresa: Ryan

(Ryan looks over and we see Theresa standing across the road with a grocery bag covering her stomach. a truck drives by passed covering her, and then we see her closer up. she's staring at Ryan)

Ryan: Theresa
CUT TO: Theresa and Ryan walking together - he's carrying the groceries for her and they are walking along the footpath

Ryan: so what're you doin back huh

Theresa: I'm visiting my mom for the weekend...believe it or not...I miss it here (laughs to herself) I mean it might not be paradise but its home

Ryan: and Atlanta

Theresa: its fine, for now (nods)

Ryan: (turns to Theresa) you know I uh I wrote you all those letters

Theresa: (nods) I know...I needed a clean break

Ryan: or you were mad cause I left

Theresa: I wanted you ta leave, you belong in Newport I mean...which doesn't explain, why are you back here (looks at Ryan)

Ryan: Trey (smiles)

Theresa: he's outta jail

Ryan: yeah he was crashin with the Cohen's for a little while, everything was going good but

Theresa: let me guess...Trey got inta trouble

Ryan: he hooked up with Marissa (looks at Theresa, Theresa looks at him) Trey says she came onta him, she says nothin happened I don't know who to believe

Theresa: I do (nods) (Ryan looks at her) Ryan, Trey has ben jerking you around you entire life I mean, an Marissa-

Ryan: has made mistakes

Theresa: she would never hurt you like that (shakes her head)

Ryan: how do you know (frowns)

Theresa: cause last year when I needed you, you know she...she let you go (Ryan listens) even though it broke her heart...they both love you but...of the two of them Marissa is the one that you can trust

(Ryan looks at her, Theresa shrugs)

Theresa: well, this is me (points)

Ryan: oh is your mom in ill say hey

Theresa: yeah but um well its getting kind of late

Ryan: alright, let me help you in (goes to go to the door)

Theresa: no it's ok, I got it (smiles, takes the groceries)

Ryan: yeah, you sure

Theresa: yeah

Ryan: ok

Theresa: talk ta Marissa (nods) make this right

Ryan: yeah I will

Theresa: ok (kisses Ryan on the cheek) take care

Ryan: yeah

(Theresa goes to the door and opens it)

Theresa: (waves) bye

(we see Theresa go inside and then Ryan walk away - the next thing we see is Theresa coming in the door, inside. Theresa's mom is there holding a baby {but we can only see it from the back, and only really the blanket} we can hear baby noises as well)

Theresa: (puts the groceries down then has a big smile on her face) hi

T's mom: somebody missed you

(Theresa goes over to her mom and the baby. her mom holds the baby up a little, we see the arms but nothing else)

T's mom: oh he looks more an more like his daddy every day

(Theresa looks at her mom, then back down at the baby)

CUT TO: Summers house - the limousine pulls up out the front. we see Summer waiting. she looks at the door as it begins to open, after a few seconds the door is fully open and Zach steps out. Summer definitely looks disappointed for a second, she smiles but its a sad one. Zach smiles and walks over to her, holding a box

Summer: I'm glad its you

Zach: I didn't know what magenta was so I got you white (holds out the corsage)

Summer: perfect (smiles)

CUT TO: The prom - we see a sculpture of a mermaid sitting in front of a huge clam shell, with a big underwater back drop behind it. and different fish, sea horses etc around. a couple stands in front of this and has their photo taken by a photographer. the camera zooms out to show Zach and Summer walking in

Zach: (points) we're suppose'ta get our picture taken with the mermaid, I think its mandatory for the year book

Summer: ok um

(Summer sees Marissa standing by herself, looking bored)

Summer: jus give me a second, ok

Zach: ok

(Summer goes over to Marissa)

Summer: Coop (smiles) (Marissa turns around, smiles) hey

Marissa: hey

Summer: under the O Sea is awesome

Marissa: thanks

Summer: where's Ryan

Marissa: (looks down) he...couldn't make it...he's sick

Summer: sick, too sick to take you ta prom, well he better be really sick, like dead because if he's not I'm gonna strangle him with his own wife beater

Marissa: its ok, you know I mean I've got plenty ta do anyway (Summer looks at her, worried) ill be ok (smiles and walks off)

CUT TO: Al Forno's- we see Reed, Seth and George Lucas sitting at a table. the waiter is also there

GL: ill have a seltzer on the rocks with a twist'a lemon

Seth: I'm gonna have the same (fascinated) seltzer on the (points) George Lucas drinks seltzer, every-everything you do every little detail to me it's just uh (smiles) I don't know its fascinating

GL: you're to kind (Reed smiles)

Seth: let me ask you jus one question (puts up a finger) an then I promise we'll get into the...book, um (thinks) how'did you first come up with the light saber (George looks at him)

Reed: I'm sure Mr. Lucas doesn't have time for such large scale questions (smiles at George)

Seth: ok, fine ill go smaller (frowns) ...did you go to your prom

GL: prom (looks at Seth, Seth nods)

Reed: (puts her hand to her head) oh my god

GL: as in, prom

Seth: I just uh it's a personal thing an I was kinda wondering if you went to yours, it'd really help me out

GL: well, actually I didn't (Seth puts his hand up as if to say 'I see') I spent my time being creative, drawing ewoks, jar jar binks

Seth: good to know, if George Lucas can skip his prom, I can skip mine (Reed looks at him)

GL: no now wait a minute, I do regret not going to my prom

Seth: really, because it's like a seminal moment

GL: exactly (nods)

Reed: Mr. Lucas I am so sorry we can get back to the point now

GL: (puts up his hands) no no no wait, it would be good for me to talk about this, the prom is a great American tradition (Seth listens) its important to experience the things of being a teenager, when your a teenager (Seth nods) when I went off an made my film American graffiti id never had the experience of a prom an I had to make a movie about it, I felt... hopelessly inadequate without having...really done it myself (Seth looks at Reed) not having ben part of that pivotal moment in teenage life uh I felt very sad an...alone

CUT TO: The prom - Summer and Zach are slow dancing together. we hear a buzzing noise

Summer: you're buzzing

Zach: uh yeah Reeds sending me text messages (frowns) I don't have'ta check em

Summer: go ahead

(Zach takes his phone out and reads the messages)

Zach: oh my god, she's saying George Lucas is checked out, god Seth is totally ignoring the talking points (Summer looks at Zach) he-he always (looks at Summer) I'm-I'm sorry

Summer: it's ok

Zach: no, its not, this is ridiculous, I'm here...with you at prom, jus like I wanted

Summer: if you have'ta talk yourself inta this (frowns) it probably means (shakes her head) you shouldn't be here

Zach: I'm your date, even though you didn't want me to be

Summer: (looks at Zach) I did want you to be

Zach: no (shakes his head) you didn't...I saw your face when I got outta the limo

Summer: and I saw yours (nods) you wanna be there talking about your comic book with Reed (Zach looks at her) look my prom fantasy it didn't quite happen but (smiles) you've ben dreaming about this comic book your whole life, this is your sh*t you should go

Zach: I can't abandon you

Summer: (looks at Zach, softly) I did it to you

Zach: good point (smiles)

Summer: go, save Cohen from himself (smiles)

(Zach smiles and kisses Summer on the cheek, then he leaves. Summer watches him go with a sad smile)

CUT TO: Al Forno's

Seth: so we ended up, well we flipped a coin

GL: (suprised) you flipped a coin

Seth: yeah an you know I know it sounds crazy but at the time-

(Seth looks over and sees Zach motioning for him to come over)

Seth: will you excuse me for one second, ill be right back (puts up a finger)

(Seth gets up from the table - the next thing we see is Seth and Zach out the front together)

Seth: hey, you didn't have'ta come here

Zach: look, we need'a settle this thing once an for all and I think for the first time you an I both know where we need to be

Seth: (realises) you want the comic book (points)

Zach: an you want Summer (Seth looks at him) alright (takes his jacket off) ok you don't have much time, so take this

Seth: alright (puts the jacket on) wow thanks man

CUT TO: Cohen family room - a tired looking Kirsten walks in. . Sandy is already in there

Sandy: so movie time, now Seth recommends shaun of the dead, he says it's a very funny romantic zombie comedy (sits on the couch)

Kirsten: (laughs) actually I'm pretty wiped out, I'm gonna go soak in a hot bath

(we hear the doorbell)

Sandy: the foods here

Kirsten: (reluctant) ill wait then, I can take a bath later

Sandy: (thinks) you know what, go ahead (stands) we can heat the food up when you're done

Kirsten: mm thanks (kisses Sandy on the cheek)

(Sandy answers the door)

Sandy: hey (feels his back pocket) you know what I don't have my wallet, hang on a second (puts up a finger) let me grab some cash

(Sandy goes to Kirsten's bag which is nearby. he looks in and pulls out a small bottle of vodka, he looks at the bottle then looks up, shocked)

CUT TO: Caleb's mansion - we see Julie swimming underwater in the pool. she comes up near the edge and sits there. still in the pool but closer to Caleb who is sitting on the edge with his legs dangling in. the margaritas from earlier are also sitting near by

Julie: mmm (laughs) (Caleb looks at her) so uh, you about ready for this marg (picks it up)

Caleb: why not (goes to drink and stops) you know (Julie looks at him, anxiously) I've never ben in this pool before

Julie: well your...more of a land shark

Caleb: (laughs then goes to drink) we should've done this...sort of thing more...enjoyed each other more

Julie: well we had our moments

Caleb: (smiles) I spose this calls for a toast (Julie picks up her drink) you know I-I really did love you, Juju

Julie: ooooh, past tense, that stings (looks at Caleb)

Caleb: sorry, grammatical error (raises eyebrows) to us

(Caleb clinks his glass with Julie, and Julie is just staring. Caleb goes to finally drink)

Julie: (panics, yells) wait stop!

Caleb: (looks at Julie) what

Julie: uh (frowns) I didn't put lime in your drink (takes the glass from Caleb) let me make you a new one

Caleb: oh, there's no need (laughs)

(Julie ignores him and gets out of the pool. Caleb watches her, almost lovingly. Julie goes over to the sink and tips the drink out)

CUT TO: Prom - Marissa and Summer are standing together

Summer: well, it looks like we're both flying solo up on prom night

Marissa: why what happened to Zach

Summer: oh, he went to go save his comic book

Marissa: (looks at Summer) are you ok

Summer: yeah (nods) so (shrugs) prom was a let down, you know but I bet it is for everybody, it's like new years

Marissa: well we could always go back to your house

Summer: yeah, curl up with Princess Sparkle, watch the season one of The Valley on DVD

Marissa: mm that sounds perfect

Summer: yeah (nods)

Marissa: come on

Summer: alright

(they turn around to leave when a guy on stage starts speaking into the mic. they both turn around to look)

Emcee: alright it's the moment we've all ben waiting for, its time to announce Harbor schools prom king an queen

(everybody cheers and claps. Summer and Marissa look at each other)

Emcee: and your prom queen tonight...Summer Roberts, Summer come on up here

(more cheers and clapping. Summer closes her eyes in disbelief, Marissa looks worried for her)

Summer: oh no, get me outta here (Marissa claps)

Emcee: and your prom king...Zach Stevens

Summer: I'm makin a run for it (Summer goes to leave but the spotlight gets shone on her)

Emcee: now if the king an queen could join me on stage they'll kick off your spotlight dance

(Summer slowly turns back around, reluctantly)

Emcee: (points) there's the queen we've found her (Summer smiles, Marissa smiles) we're half way there, Summer Roberts come on up here

(Summer goes onto the stage with the emcee. we hear whistles and "alright Summer" "yeah Summer" from the crowd. Marissa watches as the emcee places the tiara on Summers head. everyone claps. Summer turns around and smiles. Marissa claps, happy for Summer)

Emcee: Zach Stevens we're waiting

(Marissa looks worried for Summer. and from the crowd we hear "where's Zach" "Zach where'd you go)

Emcee: Zach Stevens we're waiting

Summer: (softly) no ones coming

(Summer looks down sadly. Marissa looks sad for her. Summer stands on the stage by herself. the sh*t changes and we see Seth run into the room. Summer notices him and she looks suprised, Marissa also notices him. Seth pushes his way through the crowd and jumps up onto the stage with Summer)

Summer: Cohen

Seth: (out of breath) I'm sorry I'm late I was...caught in traffic (Summer sort of smiles, while looking at him) I'm on stage

(in the crowd we hear a guy yell out "that's not Zach Stevens)

Seth: (points) no I'm not

Emcee: I think you should step down, you're not the prom king

(in the crowd we hear "Seth Cohen's a tool)

Seth: (takes the mic) ok, I know I'm not, who you all imagined...as prom king (swallows) seeing as how I'm not who any of you actually voted for but (points) she's the queen (looks at Summer) an I love her...so I guess that that makes me king (points)

Summer: Cohen

Seth: no I'm jus the guy standing next to you, your the queen (raises eyebrows) alright I'm...the jester, perhaps, if that works (Summer looks at him) so let me ask you this your highness (sincerely) ...what can I do to make it up to you

Summer: (smiles) well you-

Seth: uh (holds the mic out to Summer)

Summer: (touches Seth's hand) well (smiles/laughs) you can start by dancing with me

{at this point the song Fix You by Coldplay begins to play. I mention this because it is an amazing song, and it complements the following scenes absolutely perfectly! I will be including the lyrics heard in italics. this song plays through to the end, with a brief break in the last Kirsten/Sandy scene}

(Summer smiles, and Seth takes her in his arms as he puts the mic back on its stand. he then gives her a big kiss. in the crowd we hear something like "god he's a tool". they then start to slow dance)

Heard over the above scene: When you try your best but you don't succeed

(in the crowd Marissa's watches them, sadly. all the couples around her start dancing together and after a few seconds she decides to leave)

Heard over the above scene: When you get what you want but not what you need

when you feel so tired but you

cant sleep, stuck in reverse

(we now see Seth and Summer still dancing on stage together. Seth has his hands just above her butt, and she has hers around his waist {aww} the camera zooms out to show all the couples dancing)

Heard over the above scene: An the tears come streamin down your face

(we are now outside of the prom - Marissa is standing on the grass behind a familiar bench {its the same setting as 104, when she is upset at the Cotillion} Marissa is standing there with his arms folded, looking very lost and lonely. the camera pans to the right and we see Ryan standing near the stairs. Marissa has her back to him)

Ryan: Marissa

Marissa: (turns around) Ryan

(Ryan slowly walks over to Marissa, smiling. Marissa smiles back, almost shyly. Marissa puts her hands around Ryan's neck and Ryan puts his hands on Marissa's waist. Marissa's puts her head on Ryan's shoulder, and Ryan has his buried in Marissa's. they slowly dance together. Marissa has her eyes closed and her hands resting on Ryan's back)

Ryan: (softly) sorry I missed prom

Marissa: (opens her eyes and then closes them, contently) you're just in time

(Ryan wraps his arms around Marissa tighter, and closes his eyes. they continue dancing as the camera zooms out {aww})

Heard over the above scene: When you lose somethin you cant replace

when you love someone but it goes to waste, could it be worse

Lights will guide you home, and ignite your bones, an I will try to fix you

CUT TO: Caleb's mansion - we see a close up of Caleb still sitting beside the pool, he looks almost happy! we then see inside with Julie. she's remaking Caleb's margarita for him - we see Caleb again, he has a smile on his face and then all of a sudden it goes. he looks worried and he grabs his chest and starts leaning forward

Caleb: (strained call) Julie (screws up his face)

(we see Julie drinking alcohol straight from the bottle)

Caleb: (stands, still holding his chest) (a little louder) Julie

(Caleb lets go of his chest and tries to grab hold of the side of the pool, he grabs his chest again and falls into the pool head first. we see him fall to the bottom and just lie there. Julie comes out carrying his new margarita)

Julie: (stops) Cal

(Julie sees Caleb at the bottom of the pool)

Julie: (screams) CAL!

(Julie drops the margarita and we hear the glass smashing on the concrete, she runs to the pool and dives in. she swims to the bottom and grabs Caleb around the waist, pulling him towards the surface)

{ I just have to say, Julies scream really shows you how much she cares about him. it gives you chills! and makes you sad}

Heard over the above scene: An high up above or down below

when your to in love to let it go

but if you never try you'll never know

just watch an learn

Lights will guide you home, and ignite your bones

CUT TO: Cohen kitchen - Sandy is in there by himself and Kirsten comes in

Kirsten: oh, that moo shoo smells great (smiles)

Sandy: what're we gonna do about you

Heard over the above scene, then the music stops all together: and I will try to fix you

(Kirsten looks at him)

Sandy: I found your stash (takes out the bottle of vodka)

Kirsten: its just incase

Sandy: an I trusted you...I believed you when you said you were done

Kirsten: Sandy, I'm doing this my own way

Sandy: how...by sneakin around...by lyin to me

Kirsten: I jus don't want you ta baby-sit me like I'm some wayward child

Sandy: well maybe that's exactly what you need (Kirsten looks at him) right now I feel more like your dad then I feel like your husband

(Kirsten looks away from him. the phone rings. Kirsten looks over to it and Sandy gets up to answer it)

Sandy: hello...what, Julie...huh (Kirsten looks over, worried) (frowns) wait-wait-wait calm down, wh- say that again (Kirsten looks more worried) oh my god...I understand...of course (hangs up then turns around to face Kirsten, stunned) it's about your father

Kirsten: well what is it...(shaky voice) he's alright isn't he (looks at Sandy)

Sandy: (moves closer) ...he's dead (Kirsten looks away) I am so sorry (touches Kirsten's arm)

(Sandy looks at her helplessly. Kirsten pulls her arm away from him. Sandy puts his hand on her back. Kirsten turns around and picks up the 'just incase' bottle of vodka. she slowly walks passed Sandy and out of the kitchen. she looks emotionless and numb. Sandy just stands there watching her, helplessly) - Fade out