03x07 - The Anger Management

All episode transcripts for the TV show "The O.C.". Aired August 2003 - April 2007.*
Watch/Buy Amazon

A troubled youth becomes embroiled in the lives of a close-knit group of people in the wealthy, upper-class neighborhood of Newport Beach, Orange County, California.

03x07 - The Anger Management

Post by bunniefuu »

Opening scene - The Diner, we can hear Summers voice but we can't yet see her. the camera pans to show Seth, Summer, Ryan and Marissa sitting in a booth together

Summer: look I'm sorry, that movie sucked

Seth: Master Of The Flying Guillotine

Summer: yes

Seth: It's a classic of the genre, that's like the Madame Bovary of martial arts cinema

Marissa: (frowns, points) oh wait the flying guillotine was that the spiky hat thing he threw

Ryan: yeah, dude I'm sorry but that-that was kinda weak

Seth: (looks at Ryan) head? too Ryan (Ryan shakes head)

Summer: god it didn't even make sense, why was he going after the one armed boxer (sympathises) poor guy

Seth: ah revenge, it's a tale as old as time

Ryan: maybe the girls should pick the movie next time (smiles) what'do you say huh

Marissa: (touched) aww

Summer: yes

Seth: uh do I have'ta remind you about the Bring It On phase (Summer looks at him)

Ryan: what

Summer: now that (points) is an awesome movie (Ryan and Marissa also point)

Marissa and Summer at the same time: (sings, dances) I'm sexy, I'm cute I'm popular to boot I said I'm bitchin great hair

(Marissa stops singing when she sees something)

Summer: (continues) the boys all love to stare, I'm wanted I'm hot-

(we see what Marissa saw which is Volchok and his "bros" entering the diner)

Marissa: (softly) Summer

(Summer stops singing and looks over, Ryan looks over as well)

Volchok: now what is that, ten ta one our boys hang out at that candy ass diner on the pier (grabs a chair and sits on the end of the table) that's what I love about you rich kids, so predictable

Ryan: what'do you want

Volchok: (looks at Ryan) I gotta spell it out for ya, I want a rematch (Ryan shakes his head) somewhere private jus me kickin your ass

(Marissa looks at Ryan)

Ryan: I'm not lookin for trouble (looks at Volchok matter of factly)

Volchok: maybe you should'a thought'a that before jumpin me the other night

Summer: (frowns) what like you didn't start it by (Volchok looks at her) hookin up with someone else's girlfriend

Seth: good point

(Volchok's "bros" stare at Seth, intimidatingly)

Seth: or that's unnecessary continuity...either or

Marissa: look guys this is so stupid

Ryan: (shakes head) look I got nothin against you

Volchok: well that's too bad, cause me an you (leans forward) we got unfinished business (hits Ryan on the shoulder)

(Volchok points, smiles and winks as he walks away)

Seth: (small wave) see ya guys

(Marissa looks at Ryan out of the corner of her eye. Ryan is looking in the direction of the door)

Theme song - California by Phantom Planet

Cohen kitchen - Kirsten is sitting at the table working on the fundraiser and Sandy comes in holding three different ties

Sandy: hey baby (Kirsten turns around) I need your opinion, which of these screams real estate mogul with a heart'a gold

Kirsten: the blue (turns back)

Sandy: insensitive, street smart man of talent...an mystery

Kirsten: (nods, smiles) the blue

Sandy: alright, blue it is

Kirsten: Sandy, your gonna do great, the Newport Groups lucky to have you (smiles adoringly)

Sandy: well, I jus wanna make a good impression on my first day, hey how's that-that charity thing comin

Kirsten: oh it's coming, I've (raises eyebrows) just never thrown together something so quickly

Sandy: (putting on tie) I hope Julie an Charlotte aren't out gettin mystics while your doin all the work

Kirsten: don't worry, there working, there busy with the foundation, oh, good question (looks at Sandy) booze or no booze

Sandy: ooo, tough call (thinks) a fundraiser for poor women with substance abuse problems

Kirsten: I know it's gonna be weird if people are drinking

Sandy: yeah, then again people're alot more generous when they've had a couple'a sh*ts under their belt

same time:

Sandy: booze

Kirsten: booze (nods)

(Seth and Ryan both come into the kitchen at opposite ends)

Ryan: morning

Kirsten: oh hey boys, on Sunday I would love some help with the party

Seth: Sunday...Sunday, yeah It's gonna be tough (frowns) it's gonna be tough

Ryan: (looks from Seth to Kirsten) yeah, no problem

Kirsten: thanks Ryan (smiles)

(Ryan looks at Seth, Seth gives him a "suck up" look back)

Kirsten: uh well I should get going, I have'ta meet Charlotte an Julie at the club

(Kirsten leaves the kitchen. Sandy grabs his jacket)

Sandy: hey, what is so incredibly pressing on a Sunday

Seth: uh it's the Sabbath dad, It's the day'a rest you know, I don't make the rules (kisses his fingers and points up dramatically) talk to the big guy

Ryan: I thought...the Sabbath was Saturday (looks at Seth)

Sandy: listen'a me, this is the first public thing your mother has done since rehab so we are gonna do everything in our power to make it a success, understood (Seth nods)

(Kirsten comes back in)

Seth: mom listen Sunday I'm gonna be there ok (points) provided I don't get struck down by a lightening bolt (nods)

Kirsten: aww thanks Seth that means alot

(Seth mouths something while he's looking up, I think its "I'm sorry")

Sandy: such generosity (hits Seth on the back)

Seth: oh there goes the back (Sandy smiles) no ill be alright, ill be fine I can probably lift stuff

CUT TO: Summers bedroom - Summer is painting her fingernails and Marissa is getting organised for school

Marissa: I just feel responsible, I mean if I hadn't introduced Ryan to Johnny in the first place then he never would've gotten in a fight with that jerk

Summer: yeah well if you wanna blame someone why not Casey (looks at Marissa) for hookin up with the Surf-n*zi to begin with

Marissa: I know, I still can't believe she did that (raises eyebrows)

Summer: yeah well she had her reasons

Marissa: Summer

Summer: I'm sorry (looks at Marissa) have you asked him yet

Marissa: right ill just say hey Johnny (raises eyebrows) Casey thinks your in love with me, an then best case scenario he says no an our relationship is totally weird if not ruined

Summer: mm but what if he is (raises eyebrows)

Marissa: then our friendship is totally weird if not ruined (sighs) he hasn't done anything to make me think that...so, excuse me for not believing his psycho girlfriend

Summer: hmm (nods) ex-girlfriend, yeah he's single now remember

Marissa: (not amused) ill see ya later (leaves)

Summer: mm-hmm

CUT TO: Harbor school - Ryan and Seth are getting out the range rover

Seth: dude, all I'm sayin is you just got back inta Harbor ok (shuts door) you do not wanna go back to the wasteland of home schooling

Ryan: and I told ya I'm not gonna fight him

Seth: yeah I hear ya an I wanna believe ya but I also know Kid Chino, sometimes when his backs up against a wall his fists of fury

Ryan: Kid Chino is retired, he hung up the hoody so just relax alright (touches Seth's arm)

(Taylor comes up behind them)

Taylor: (calls) Seth

Seth: ah-huh (turns around) uuuuuuh hey Taylor how's it goin

Taylor: uh it's goin great

(Ryan waves but Taylor is oblivious to him)

Taylor: um I cannot tell you how many people have come up an told me how awesome they thought lock in was

Seth: oh

Taylor: you know what every single one mentions capture the flag (smiles, laughs) (to Ryan) did you know he was all camp Takaho

Ryan: he might'a mentioned it

Seth: told you it'd be fun

Taylor: it was, it was an it was-it was all because of you too (Seth looks at her) (to Ryan) he-he took the lead in everything I mean with the-the trust falls an the s'more making an share time (touches Seth's arm) your story about Captain Oats (touches her chest, moved)

Seth: oh (to Ryan) yeah we had'ta-we had'a tell a story about our best friend growin up (Ryan nods)

Taylor: (laughs) an it was so incentive of those guys to laugh too, cause your story wasn't nearly as lame as Derrick Simmons befriending the deaf kid

(we see a close up of Seth's shocked face)

Taylor: but Seth I...wanted to ask you um (stops in front of Seth) what'do you think about planning the Christmas Dance together

Seth: (frowns) the Christmas Dance you an me

Taylor: (nods) we made such a good team (smiles flirtatiously)

(Ryan looks at Seth and raises his eyebrows)

Seth: oh wow, yeah well that (scratches neck) you should talk to Summer (nods)

Taylor: (laughs) your girlfriend...

Seth: (nods, points) mm-hmm

Taylor: ...Summer

Seth: yeah because she did like a fantastic job with the last one an I jus think that you guys would-would (brings hands together, points) there she is right over there so she's you can-you can talk to her about it yourself

(we see Summer heading towards them)

Taylor: (annoyed) ok, forget it, I gotta go (walks away)

(Summer is walking towards them with her arms folded)

Ryan: ooooooo boy you got trouble

Seth: what, what're you talking about

Ryan: your in trouble (raises eyebrows)

Seth: what, I was nice to her so that's what that's what that was about-

Ryan: keep-keep tellin yourself that yeah (nods) sure right

(Summer stands there and looks at Seth, not happy)

Seth: hey

Summer: (hits Seth) what were you doing talking to her, did you forget that she didn't let me inta the lock in, I totally bruised my hand pounding on that door

Seth: she probably didn't know it was you

Summer: no, she knew it was me she just didn't wanna let me in

Ryan: hm, wonder why (walks away)

Summer: (frowns) what

Seth: (takes Summers hand) I don't know

Summer: what's that spose'ta mean

CUT TO: Yacht Club - Kirsten, Julie and Charlotte are sitting at a table together

Kirsten: we should take out half these tables so we can have more flow

Julie: we should also talk to them about the music, the last event I did here they had us on a Kenny G loop

Charlotte: can I just tell you how excited I am (smiles) (Julie looks at her) this is gonna be so wonderful

Kirsten: I'm so glad you suggested it (smiles)

(Julie smiles at Charlotte. Charlotte smiles at Julie and Kirsten)

Kirsten: oh there's the manager, I'm gonna find out what time we can be here on Sunday an set up (stands)

Julie: so where are we

Charlotte: (almost proudly) hundred an thirty RSVP's at five thousand a head, that's over six hundred thousand dollars

(we see a sh*t of Kirsten who is in the background talking with the manager)

Julie: (stunned) three hundred thousand a piece

Charlotte: mm-hmm

Julie: ...tell me again I have'ta do this

Charlotte: (looks at Julie) Julie you have two daughters, no husband an no money, you're about to get three-hundred-thousand-dollars (raises eyebrows)

Julie: oh yeah, I'm totally doing this (smiles)

(Charlotte smiles back at Julie. Kirsten comes back over)

Kirsten: he says we can be here at eight (smiles)

(Julie smiles)

CUT TO: Harbor school - Ryan is at his locker and Taylor is standing there when he shuts the door

Taylor: Ryan, hi

Ryan: hey (starts walking)

Taylor: going this way

Ryan: (looks at Taylor) yeah

Taylor: so you're like Seth's best friend right

Ryan: don't tell Captain Oats

Taylor: that's funny, I didn't know that you were funny, so Seth an Summer seem happy, I mean I know they-they had that trouble last year but um...they seem stable wouldn't you say that they're stable

Ryan: ah-huh (moves head side to side)

Taylor: of course though I mean look at Brad an Jen (Ryan frowns) everybody thought that they were stable but nobody knew how un happy Brad was, that he was just waiting for Angelina ta come an rescue him

Ryan: they're stable

Taylor: (stops in front of Ryan) how stable, one to ten

Ryan: uhhh excuse me (frowns)

Taylor: on a scale of one to ten

Ryan: right

Taylor: how stable are they, six...six point five...

Ryan: ten (moves head on the side)

Taylor: (softly) ten, huh, sucks for Angelina

(Ryan raises his eyebrows then frowns)

Taylor: then again...things happen, don't they (Ryan half laughs) I bet Brad an Jen use'ta be a ten (smiles)

Ryan: hmm

Taylor: (walks away) oh bye

(Ryan does a small wave, he looks confused as to what just happened, lol, poor guy!)

CUT TO: The Newport Group - Sandy and Matt are standing together in front of all the employees. Sandy is making a speech

Sandy: I wanted to welcome you all on our first day (turns to Matt) Matt have you had a chance to meet everyone

Matt: not yet (waves) Matt Ramsey

Sandy: I wanted to go over what's changed, The Newport Group will still develop residential an commercial properties, with this alteration, one quarter of all our new housing projects will be low income, we are not just catering to the mansion crowd anymore

Matt: though we do need their money ta stay in business

Sandy: an the other thing that's changed (looks at Matt) is us, Matt will be a Vice President and director of development (Matt nods) which will leave me as President and CEO, and despite the fact that I've watched my lovely wife do this job for the past fifteen years I'm new at this, an I'm gonna need your help

(Matt claps and everybody else joins in, including Sandy)

Sandy: well stop millin around an get back to work (smiles) (everyone laughs) thankyou everybody

(we hear "thankyou" from the employees as they leave. Sandy sits behind his desk and sighs)

Matt: nice speech

Sandy: that's nothin, catch me with a microphone in my hand (points) you should try to meet everyone, they'd appreciate it

Matt: (raises eyebrows) oh yeah, hi, Matt Ramsey, good to meet ya...your fired

Sandy: so I take it your meeting with the accountant yesterday didn't go so well

Matt: (frowns) the word unsustainable was used...alot (Sandy nods) we have'ta lose nine people

Sandy: nine that's a little extreme

Matt: well (shrugs) you have'ta look at the numbers

Sandy: for now we sit tight, we're here one day, the first order of business is not going to be f*ring half the staff

Matt: alright, your the boss (Sandy looks down) (sighs, looks at watch) I have a meeting about the zoning on Crest Mont uh let me know what you come up with

(Sandy nods, frowning. Matt leaves)

CUT TO: Newport Union - Marissa and Dennis are walking together near the lockers

Marissa: I'm only telling you so you can be on the look out ok cause this guys crazy

Dennis: k gotcha, ill be on amber alert

Marissa: oh an don't tell Johnny he might do something stupid

Dennis: hey say no more, it'll be our little secret

Marissa: ok (nods)

Dennis: (stops in front of Marissa) maybe sharing that secret maybe brings us closer together creates a bond (raises eyebrows) we'll roll with that too

Marissa: (looks at Dennis) ah-huh jus don't tell Johnny ok

(Johnny is standing near them)

Johnny: tell me what

Dennis: Johnny (nods)

Marissa: hey (smiles, looks at Dennis) how are you

Johnny: (looks at Marissa) good, tell me what

Dennis: um no offence man this is kinda jus between me an Marissa

Johnny: (looks from Dennis to Marissa) its Volchok isn't it...what'd he do

Marissa: nothing

Johnny: Chili

(Marissa looks at Dennis)

Dennis: come on man you guys are tearing me apart here

Marissa: oook look he tried to get Ryan to fight him, but nothing happened so

(Johnny starts walking away, clearly wanting to take care of Volchok himself)

Marissa: uh hold these (gives Dennis her books then runs after Johnny) Johnny wait (grabs Johnny's bag) Johnny

Johnny: look this isn't Ryan's fight

Marissa: so what're you gonna do, go knock on this guys door an say hey fight me instead

Johnny: I'm not gonna sit back an let your boyfriend take the heat for my problem

Marissa: I'm not letting either of you guys get in a fight

Johnny: Marissa that's not the point

Marissa: (upset) what is it with you two (Johnny looks at her) I'm so sick of this

Johnny: Ryan has nothing to do with this

Marissa: you know what, its fine, whatever (walks away) jus do whatever you want

Johnny: hey (Marissa looks at him) (sighs) ok...I won't fight him

Marissa: ...seriously

Johnny: (sighs) fightin a guy is one thing, but almost upsetting a lady, I'm a total coward (half smiles) you win

(Marissa looks at Johnny. the bell goes)

Marissa: look we better get to class

(Marissa walks off and Johnny watches her for a few seconds before following)

CUT TO: Harbor school - Seth and Ryan are coming down the stairs outside, heading towards the parking lot

Seth: I'm serious, d'you have any idea what Summer'll do if she finds out

Ryan: yeah I could imagine

Seth: I have'ta tell Taylor it's not gonna happen...even if I didn't love Summer (Ryan looks at him) her an I we're totally incompatible seeing as how she's crazy an I'm not

Ryan: well I thought you said she wasn't that bad

Seth: Taylor Townsend

Ryan: yeah

Seth: in fourth grade she campaigned against makin the school handicap accessible, she said it was reverse Darwinism (Ryan smiles) besides who who wants Dean Hess' seconds

Ryan: (smiles) true?

Seth: oh look there's a picnic on our car

(we see that Volchok and his "bros" are sitting on the hood of the range rover. Seth and Ryan stand in front of them)

Volchok: oh its you guys, finally

Ryan: (sighs) Seth get security

Seth: (frowns) ok well maybe we'll go-go get em together

Volchok: mm security (shrugs) we're jus talkin, I mean nothins gonna ha-

(Volchok purposely tipped his drink over the car. Ryan watches, suprisingly calm, he just bites his lip)

Volchok: oh

Seth: It's alright, that's jus a little soap an

Ryan: (matter of factly) I'm not gonna fight you

Volchok: (to one of his bros) did you hear that, rich boy doesn't wanna get his hands dirty, well is your butler around maybe he'll fight me

(Ryan looks slightly pissed off. Seth touches Ryan's arm to stop him from getting any closer)

Seth: I got it, we're all strangers ok so lets take a step back for a second (puts up hand) I'm Seth, I like comic books (points) you obviously like uh flaming hot tattoos

(Volchok gets off the car)

Volchok: (points) I think you do got it in ya (Ryan looks at him) in fact I think your just itchin ta throw down...I jus gotta find the key (Ryan looks out of the corner of his eye) oh oh (holds up keys) oooh look what I found

(Ryan looks at Volchok then looks away. Volchok takes the key and starts keying the range rover. Ryan and Seth, along with a crowd that has gathered watch him. Seth frowns, Volchok watches Ryan as he does it. we hear the high pitched squeal as the key leaves a trail in the paint work. Seth screws up his face. Ryan isn't phased, but we see a close up of his hand which he clenches into a fist, we can even see the bulging vein, eww. Volchok smiles as he continues keying)

Volchok: but you know what I just realised there, she doesn't have a name...I'm gonna call her (looks at Ryan) little bitch

(we see a close up of Volchok with the keys. he makes an L then an I. we then see Ryan unclench his fist and he starts to walk away, Seth follows him)

Seth: jus keep walking

Volchok: (calls) this aint over

(Volchok watches Ryan and Seth with his arms folded)

CUT TO: Cohen backyard, next morning - Ryan comes out of the pool house with tools in his hand. Marissa walks over

Ryan: hey

Marissa: hey

Ryan: (frowns) were...we havin breakfast this morning

Marissa: so Summer told me what happened yesterday with Volchok

Ryan: aaah yes Seth kept a secret a whole twelve hours must be a record (looks at Marissa) yeah you know I jus I didn't wanna worry you

Marissa: well I'm proud of you for not fighting, I know it must'a been hard (raises eyebrows)

Ryan: yeah you have no idea (sighs) guys a total jack ass

Marissa: (picks up tool) what're you doing (Ryan looks at her) what're all these tools for

Ryan: you wanna see (takes Marissa's hand) come on, jus don't overreact

(Ryan leads Marissa to the pool house. we see that there is now a punching bag suspended from the ceiling)

Marissa: a punching bag

Ryan: yeah (nods) Sandy had it in the garage, said I could use it

Marissa: sooo (raises eyebrows) you could train to fight him (looks at Ryan, frowning)

Ryan: no I'm not gonna fight him, I didn't yesterday remember

Marissa: then what's it for (looks at Ryan)

Ryan: ...therapy

Marissa: (walks in, raises eyebrows) ok, I just don't want them fighting (sits on the bed) Johnny wanted to go after Volchok again but I talked him out of it

Ryan: how's he doing

Marissa: you mean about Casey (frowns) well she really hurt him

Ryan: well Seth's goin to the Bait Shop tonight why don't you invite Johnny (Marissa nods) take his mind off things

Marissa: sure (Ryan nods) now what about breakfast (grins)

Ryan: definitely, definitely, ill meet you inside (helps Marissa up) I gotta clean up

Marissa: ok (kisses Ryan's cheek)

Ryan: alright

(Marissa leaves and Ryan heads over to the punching bag, he lifts up a hammer and a piece of material is sitting underneath it. he looks at the punching bag next to him and then wraps the material around his knuckles on the right hand. he hits the punching bag once, hard and then leaves the pool house, with the punching bag swinging back and forth)

CUT TO: Cohen bedroom - Kirsten is on the phone. Sandy comes in

Kirsten: you can't deliver at four, by the time the guests arrive they'll be pudding an I can't have pudding (looks at Sandy) six'll be fine...thankyou (hangs up)

Sandy: aah sweet charity (smiles)

Kirsten: I am here by calling the next three hours Kirsten time, I am going to the gym (closes eyes) I am getting my nails done (smiles) an everything else can wait

Sandy: good for you

Kirsten: you left early this morning (kisses Sandy)

Sandy: mm

Kirsten: mm

Sandy: yeah, you know nothin like a little Dawn Patrol to clear your head

Kirsten: is everything ok, I was so busy yesterday I forgot to ask how your first day went

Sandy: oh it's good it's good its (frowns) uh you know just um...just alot

Kirsten: well you can always come ta me with questions

Sandy: thanks, you go have your Kirsten time

(Sandy looks worried and stressed)

CUT TO: Seth's bedroom - Seth is on the bed reading and we hear a knock on the door

Seth: come in

(Taylor walks in. Seth looks over)

Taylor: hi Seth

Seth: Taylor, hey (stands) what-what're you doin here

Taylor: oh your mom let me in, she seems really really nice (Seth looks at his door in disbelief) wow your room is really cute, look can we talk

Seth: (frowns, points) yeah ok but before you say anything-

Taylor: I like you

Seth: (looks down) ah boy (uncomfortable smile)

Taylor: (nods) I know I its it totally suprised me too because I don't usually go for the R. Crumb type but (Seth looks at Taylor, frowning) the heart has its own logic

Seth: (nods) mm, hmm yeah well I'm with Summer though so

Taylor: I heard you were breaking up

Seth: (shocked) what who said that

Taylor: I made it up (smiles, head on the side) (Seth shakes his head) but what did you feel...when you heard it, relief

Seth: no...listen Taylor even if I was single uhhh sss I'm not so sure that you an I would make a great match I mean

Taylor: is that a Yakuza Prep poster

(we see a close up of the poster on Seth's wall. it has YAKUZA PREP in big yellow writing and above that in white it has Who Will Graduate?. there is a girl in a school uniform holding a w*apon of some sort, we can only see her from the back)

Seth: yeah it's just this Japanese film about these prep school kids who-

Taylor: (nods) yeah yeah it's like my favourite movie of all time (Seth looks suprised) (laughs) I think Kenja Yamamoto was a genius

Seth: (shocked) really

Taylor: yes

Seth: have you seen his Samurai Assassination series

Taylor: Battles At The Edge Of Hell, I own the Criterion Collection

Seth: oh my god, d'you like comic books

Taylor: comics are geek whacking material (smiles) (Seth looks at her) but look Seth (sits) I mean it's obvious that we are soul mates...all you have'ta do is break up with Summer

Seth: (frowns) right well I'm not gonna be able ta...do that so

Taylor: I see

(Seth's phone rings)

Seth: excuse me

(while Seth goes to answer the phone Taylor notices Captain Oats sitting beside the bed)

Seth: hello

(Summer is in her room on the phone)

Summer: hey, what time do we have'ta be there tonight

(while Seth is talking Taylor puts Captain Oats into her bag)

Seth: yeah I think we-we should be at the Bait Shop by like eight

Taylor: (stands) ill see you later Seth (leaves)

(Seth looks at Taylor with his mouth wide open)

Summer: (frowns) who was that, that sounded like a girl

Seth: did it be- yeah, well, sure because i I'm listening to the radio an this American life is on an so there was a girl talking

Summer: oh, is that that show by those hipster know it alls who talk about how fascinating ordinary people are, ugh (rolls eyes) god

Seth: ah-huh, yeah yeah (smiles)

CUT TO: The yacht club - Charlotte is there and on the phone

Charlotte: so'd you get the tickets

(we see Glen on the phone, while packing)

Glen: yep, San Juan Puerto Rico, where your ill gotten dollar goes further, how's your roomy holdin up

Charlotte: oh she still thinks she's gettin half the money an a free condo

Glen: wow, you almost feel bad for her

Charlotte: yeah, almost, ill see you tomorrow night (hangs up)

(Charlotte walks over to join Julie and Kirsten who are sitting at the bar)

Julie: (worried) I jus don't think we should sign

Charlotte: hey, what's the matter

Kirsten: oh they want us to sign a liability agreement

Julie: but then you'd be responsible

Kirsten: I'm happy to do it

Charlotte: what could happen

Kirsten: (signs) exactly

(Julie looks at Charlotte then down at the form)

Kirsten: there, it's done, I'm gonna give this to the manager

(Kirsten walks away. Julie glares at Charlotte)

Charlotte: its if somebody stubs a toe, it doesn't mean anything

Julie: I know I'm just...nervous

Charlotte: look as soon as I skip town everybody is gonna blame me (Julie looks at her) your gonna be fine

Julie: (softly) an what about Kirsten

Charlotte: well she is gonna be very hurt (nods) an she's gonna need her best friend (raises eyebrows)

Julie: right...

(Julie looks over at Kirsten who is talking with the manager. Kirsten looks over and smiles at Julie, Julie smiles back. Kirsten looks back at the manager and then Julies smile goes and she looks worried)

CUT TO: The Newport Group - Sandy is in his office and Matt knocks and goes in

Matt: you wanted to see me

Sandy: yeah, I spent the morning with our accountant going over the numbers an your right, in order for this company to be...as strong as possible we have'ta lose nine people

Matt: for once I wish I was wrong

Sandy: but I'm still not doin it (Matt looks at him) I came up with a plan (grabs paper) we restructure our loans, eliminate the perks, cut my salary by thirty percent...we let four people go, it'll get us by

Matt: (reads) but this-this leaves us no margin, if one deal goes down

Sandy: (raises eyebrows) then we go down, but as long as I'm running this company, that's how we're gonna do it

(Sandy sits back down. Matt nods)

CUT TO: The Bait Shop - on stage we see the Subways performing Rock & Roll Queen, after a few seconds of the band we see Marissa and Johnny watching, Ryan and Summer are also there but we can't see them yet

Marissa: hey, it was not a pity invite ok

(Johnny looks at Marissa, unconvinced)

Marissa: (hits Ryan) tell him

Ryan: (looks) yeah no we uh we-we thought you might like to see the band (Summer smiles)

Johnny: right, so you weren't worried id be home alone all weekend thinkin about Casey

same time:

Marissa: (scoffs) nooooo no

Ryan: (waves it off) what, that's crazy

Marissa: no but seriously what're you doing tomorrow because my moms having a fundraiser

Ryan: yeah if you wanna, Seth an I could use your help settin up

Summer: yeah well if there counting on Seth they definitely need your help

Johnny: wow, you guys are so not subtle (Ryan and Marissa looks at him) but I appreciate it, thanks

(we now see Seth trying to buy drinks at bar. poor guy, it's like old times)

Seth: hey ok buddy

(the bar tender walks away)

Seth: (hits bar, frustrated) c'mon- I use'ta work here

(Taylor comes up behind Seth)

Taylor: hello Seth

Seth: (looks) Taylor...hey

Taylor: is Summer here

Seth: (looks at Taylor) ok look I love Summer, I always have now while you an I may share an appreciation for ultra violent Asian cinema (Summer comes up) there is no way

Summer: what's goin on

(Taylor looks at Summer. Summer looks at Taylor then Seth. Seth looks at Summer)

Seth: tell me you just heard what I was saying

Taylor: hi Summer, you look really cute

Summer: I know, but more importantly why are you always talking to my boyfriend

(Taylor just blinks)

Seth: (tries to explain) she likes Yakuza...nevermind (Summer glares at him)

Taylor: well maybe I should just get going (goes to walk away, stops) oh oh um I almost forgot (pulls out Captain Oats) here

(Summer watches unimpressed as Taylor hands Captain Oats to a confused Seth)

Taylor: thanks for letting me borrow him (Seth frowns) (touches chest) really means alot ta me that you trust me

(Seth looks at Taylor, shocked. Summer looks from Seth to Taylor)

Taylor: bye (walks away)

Summer: (hits Seth) you let her borrow Captain Oats

Seth: I didn't let her borrow anything, she must've taken it from me when she was in my room

Summer: (frowns, more upset) when was she in your room (Seth doesn't answer) (realises) wait that was her when I was on the phone the- ...something happened at the lock in (Seth shakes his head enthusiastically) you are such a jerk (hits Seth, walks away)

Seth: (follows) Summer wait...Summer

(we see Seth walking away and Captain Oats sitting on the bar where Seth left him. Seth realises then runs back and quickly grabs Captain Oats. Taylor smiles, pleased with herself. we then see a little more of the band. we see Ryan looking up towards the entrance as Summer then Seth walk out, he then looks over at the bar and sees one of Volchok's bros talking to the bar tender. Ryan says something to Marissa, then Marissa says something to Johnny and they start to leave. Heather and Volchok stand in front of them, blocking their path)

Volchok: you leavin already bro

(Ryan Marissa and Johnny look at them, not saying anything)

Volchok: hello Harper what's up...how's your girlfriend doing

(Johnny goes to move closer to Volchok but Marissa stops him)

Marissa: no whoa hey he's not worth it

Ryan: just get outta the way man

Volchok: or what, your not gonna fight me I know that

Heather: but she might sh**t you, she has before

Marissa: yeah...

Volchok: (to Ryan) is that true bro, d'you let your girlfriend do your fighting for ya

(Ryan glares at Volchok. Marissa walks between them and Volchok grabs her arm)

Volchok: no hold up girl

(Ryan grabs Volchok by the shoulders and slams him hard against the bar. Marissa looks worried. Volchok grins, pleased with himself for getting a reaction out of Ryan)

Ryan: don't you touch her

Volchok: so that's what gets you going

(Johnny pulls Ryan off of Volchok)

Security: (points to Volchok) you, out

(Ryan and Johnny look at Volchok, Marissa still looks worried. Volchok leaves reluctantly. Marissa watches Heather and Volchok leave. Ryan goes over to Marissa to make sure she's ok. we see Volchok and Heather now on the stairs. we then see the crowd now dancing again)

CUT TO: Cohen living room - Sandy is on the couch reading the newspaper. the front page says "Orange County Beaches Voted Best in the State". Ryan comes in from outside

Sandy: hey

Ryan: hey

Sandy: hey Kirsten's already over at the Yacht Club once you an Mr. Sabbath have breakfast we should head over there an start setting up

Ryan: (nods) great (frowns) can I talk to you about somethin (sighs)

Sandy: (closes paper) anytime

Ryan: (sits) there's this guy an he's gotten it in his head that he's gonna fight me (looks at Sandy)

Sandy: (looks at Ryan) does this have anything to do with the fact that my car is now...the little bitch (raises eyebrows)

Ryan: maybe, I was gonna fix that

Sandy: forget about it (shrugs) that there's enough to go to the cops

Ryan: yeah (looks down)

Sandy: d'you want me ta talk to em

Ryan: no, no offense but uh I don't see this guy getting scared

Sandy: (sits forward, shakes head) you know you can't get into another fight

Ryan: no I know an I've ben tryin'a walk away

Sandy: you're usin your brain instead'a your fists, good

Ryan: but, I mean how's that help me with this guy

Sandy: well you gotta keep walking away, cause whatever is makin him angry (shakes head) it isn't you

(Ryan looks as though he's thinking. phone rings)

Sandy: ohp hang on just a minute (looks at who's calling, frowns, answers) hey Matt its a little early on a Sunday morning...today (raises eyebrows) no you don't do anything till I get there...alright (hangs up) (Ryan raises his eyebrows) you an Seth are gonna have'ta go to the club without me ill catch up later (stands) ill have my phone if you need me
CUT TO: The Beach - Dennis and Marissa are in the car together. Dennis is driving

Dennis: I can't believe you dragged me outta bed for this, this is the worst idea ever

Marissa: there's no other way

Dennis: ok but seriously you don't know Volchok, last year some guy snaked his wave so he went up on the pier an dropped a kitchen sink on him, where do you even get a kitchen sink (parks)

Marissa: yeah well if you're so concerned (gets out) why don't you stay in the car (shuts door)

Dennis: (gets out) I'm jus saying maybe we could bring some muscle (follows Marissa) besides the muscle that I already provide

(we see one of Volchok's bros and Volchok standing at the back of an open van)

Bro: yo yo yo yo ?

Volchok: oh hey hey look who's here (puts hands up) now don't sh**t

(Marissa smiles and half laughs as if to say "so funny" Volchok laughs at her reaction)

Volchok: hey dork

Dennis: (nods) hey

Marissa: look I want you ta leave Ryan alone (holds out a watch)

Volchok: oh so its bribes now (Marissa looks at him) well I got a watch (holds up wrist) K-Mart, fifteen ninety nine (raises eyebrows)

Marissa: well this is Cardiay, an I got it for my sixteenth birthday (looks at the watch then Volchok) its worth like four grand

(Dennis looks at Marissa)

Volchok: damn (takes watch) you must really think I'm gonna hurt him

Marissa: do we have a deal

Volchok: (looks at Marissa) ...sure, ill leave your little boy alone

Marissa: alright (starts to walk away, then matter of factly) if I see you around again I'm gonna tell the cops you stole that (points)

Volchok: you do that

(Marissa looks back at Volchok as she and Dennis walk towards the car. Dennis waves at them and Marissa hits him)

CUT TO: The Yacht Club - Kirsten is there getting everything organised for the fundraiser. a woman wheels in some flowers on a trolley

Kirsten: don't put them in direct sunlight because then the water starts to heat up an then the flowers they-they wilt (unsure) do-do you think there's too much red

(Julie comes in)

Julie: hey Kirsten

Kirsten: oh hey

Julie: what's up

Kirsten: just giving final instructions, oh I know I'm going a little crazy but I just want everything to be perfect (looks at Julie) it will be wont it (frowns)

Julie: yeah of course I-it'll be fantastic (smiles)

Kirsten: thanks Julie, I am so glad we're doing this together (smiles)

Julie: (smiles) me too

(Kirsten walks away. Julie looks as though she is having second thoughts)

CUT TO: The Newport Group - Matt is there by himself. Sandy comes in

Sandy: what the hell are you doin

Matt: (stands) let me explain

Sandy: forget going behind my back (frowns) you called people in on a Sunday to fire them, is that what they teach ya in business school what so you don't lose time during the week

Matt: eh listen I just thought it would be better now than on Monday when they have'ta face the humiliation of packin up infront'a their co-workers an I didn't go behind your back

Sandy: really, because as much as I appreciate the heads up phone call that your about to fire four of our employees, I don't recall ever agreeing to this

Matt: we agreed we had'a let em go...I jus thought that if I did it myself I would spare you the pain, that's all

Sandy: for the record, I don't let people do my dirty work for me (Matt looks down) where are they

Matt: (motions) they're in your office

(Sandy looks at the door unhappily and then walks over)

Matt: look Sandy

Sandy: oh it's alright Matt, now go home, its Sunday

(Matt nods and leaves. Sandy waits a few seconds before opening the door. we get a glimpse of the employees already in there)

CUT TO: The Yacht Club - Seth and Summer are standing at one of the tables together. Summer is putting something on the table

Seth: listen to me, nothing happened at the lock in

Summer: ah-huh, an yet you still felt the need ta lie about her being in your room

(Summer moves to another table and Seth follows)

Seth: because I knew how you would react (Summer looks at him) not that it's your fault I'm saying it's my fault (points to himself) it's definitely my fault

Summer: you know what is my fault

Seth: what

Summer: (slaps Seth hard on the cheek) that (walks away)

Seth: (touches cheek) ooooowwwww

(Seth follows Summer. in the background Ryan and Johnny are setting up tables together)

Johnny: listen man I'm really sorry about the...whole Volchok thing

Ryan: ah it's not your fault, guys like Volchok are lookin for any excuse

Johnny: sounds like you've ben in this situation before

Ryan: yeah, feels like every week

Johnny: look...if anything goes down (looks at Ryan) I'm there

Ryan: (nods) yeah, thanks, but I'm hoping it doesn't come to that

Johnny: sometimes you don't have a choice

(Ryan looks as though he's thinking)

CUT TO: Charlotte and Julies condo - Charlotte comes out all dressed up for the fundraiser, she stops when she sees Julie sitting at the table not ready

Charlotte: Julie, you're not dressed, we need to leave in a few minutes

Julie: I don't think I can do this (drinks)

(Charlotte walks over to Julie)

Charlotte: you're worried about Kirsten getting hurt

Julie: Kirsten, Marissa (nods) even if they blame you...

Charlotte: (nods) I see, well what if they blame you

Julie: (looks at Charlotte) what

Charlotte: (shrugs) what if I call the police an tell them how we (frowns) created a fake charity ta defraud your friends

Julie: Charlotte they'd arrest you

Charlotte: yeah but they'd have'ta find me first, I somehow think you'd be a little easier to track down (Julie looks at her, shocked) (sits on the table) could you do jail Julie, an if you did which one of your former friends would be there ta help you when you get out (leans closer) now get - dressed (raises eyebrows) or we'll be late for the party (Julie looks at her)

CUT TO: The Yacht Club - Marissa and Summer are now dressed up. Marissa has flowers in her hand and puts them down on a table

Summer: d'you think Taylor's pretty

Marissa: Summer

Summer: well I mean I know she's not prettier than me but like objectively speaking

Marissa: objectively speaking I think Seth loves you an you've got nothing to worry about

(Marissa sees Heather enter the club)

Marissa: (hands Summer flowers) go put these on a table

(Summer walks away. Marissa walks over to Heather)

Heather: (holds up watch) he told me to give you this, he changed his mind, he wants cash

Marissa: but he can sell that

Heather: tell him yourself, he's in the parking lot

(Marissa looks at Heather. the next thing we see is Marissa and Heather going out to the parking lot. Volchok is sitting in the van with the side door open

Marissa: we had a deal

Volchok: pawn shop aint open an I need cash now, I owe a guy some money

Marissa: well I don't have four thousand dollars

Volchok: well lucky for you all I needs' a couple hundred, c'mon you got an ATM card don't you (Marissa looks at him, reluctant) screw it (gets out) your boyfriend inside hm

Marissa: ok, fine ill go

(Marissa gets in the van then Volchok gets in after her. the door shuts)

CUT TO: The Yacht Club - we see a tray with 7 glasses of wine on it. the tray gets carried away and we can see Julie talking to a couple

W: party's really wonderful Julie

M: yeah it really is

Julie: I am so glad that you both could come, but you know what you should watch those ahe rolls? Chuck or we'll be treating you for substance abuse (laughs) oh excuse me (smiles) nice to see you

(Julie goes over to Kirsten)

Kirsten: well you don't miss a b*at (smiles)

Julie: oh well you know just like riding a bike

Kirsten: (smiles) Julie I really wanna thank you

Julie: (suprised) for what

Kirsten: making me do this, I wasn't sure that I was ready, but having your support (smiles, shakes head) I just wish...my dad could see us (raises eyebrows) he'd be so proud

(Julie smiles, Kirsten smiles at her and then walks away. Julie sighs, worriedly - we then see Taylor standing with her mom)

Ts mom: I thought you said you'd have friends here tonight

Taylor: (looks) well there jus...not here yet (shrugs)

Ts mom: I don't want another evening of you sitting alone in the corner reading the economist, it's embarrassing

(we see Seth standing in the background watching with a frown on his face)

Taylor: there gonna be here

Ts mom: well excuse me if I don't hold my breath

(Seth walks over)

Seth: Taylor

(Taylor and her mom look over)

Seth: I'm sorry I'm late it was uh (to Ts mom) hi Seth Cohen

Ts mom: (smiles) Veronica Townsend nice to meet you (Seth nods) Taylor is this the young man you bought the present for

(Seth looks at Taylor)

Taylor: (horrified) mom (raises eyebrows)

Ts mom: well give it to him (to Seth) she must'a wrapped it an re wrapped it four times before we left the house

Taylor: (softly) oh my god (Seth frowns) um ok (pulls out present) fine (hands it to Seth)

Seth: oh wow, you didn't I mean that's you know (opens it, looks at Taylor) Yakuza demon (Taylor looks down shyly) how did you get this I thought they only released it in Japan

Taylor: (nods) yeah my cousin um works for Krustys? in Tokyo and...he sends me DVDs I don't know I jus thought you would like it

Seth: it's amazing

Ts mom: well ill just...let you two be alone (smiles)

(Taylor's mom walks away)

Seth: Taylor this is like so-

(Taylor runs outside upset. Seth follows her)

Seth: Taylor

Taylor: (upset) go away Seth, I don't need you feeling sorry for me

Seth: I don't

Taylor: (scoffs) oh my god (looks at Seth) well why not, you heard her she's horrible she's (touches forehead) always saying the same things why don't people like you Taylor why aren't you popular Taylor why don't you have friends Taylor

Seth: well she doesn't know what she's talking about

Taylor: (laughs) yeah but that's just it she does...I live in this dream world where I think that Summer is my friend and I think that you like me (Seth looks at her) an the truth is that I don't have anybody, oh my god even the Grinch had that stupid little dog

Seth: (frowns, nods) you think Summers your friend

Taylor: yes I know I'm crazy

Seth: (leans forward) you know what I like you

Taylor: no you don't

Seth: yes I do

Taylor: (raises eyebrows) you pity me its different

Seth: (shakes head) no I really do I think your (shrugs) funny

Taylor: (laughs) stop teasing me

Seth: I'm not listen'a me I'm serious (puts hand on Taylor's shoulder) you got great taste in movies, I think your smart, I think your interesting

Taylor: (puts hand on top of Seth's) really

Seth: yeah, an if you just relaxed a little bit I think other people would see that

(Taylor nods and brings Seth's hand to her cheek)

Seth: you know they'd see that your one of a (thrown) kind...yeah but I've actually gotta head back in (points, takes hand off Taylor's cheek) right now so

Taylor: Seth I

(Seth un hooks Taylor's fingers from his)

Seth: no no it- just because uh I think Summer may be looking for me

Taylor: oh (smiles)

Seth: an you know if she was to come out here an see us talking (motions stabbing) so uh we're gonna talk at school

Taylor: ok (smiles)

Seth: ok, ok good (starts walking away, stops) but I feel really good about this

(Seth goes inside and Taylor squeals excitedly. she cups her hands over her mouth)

Taylor: it's happening

(Taylor smiles, cups her hands again and laughs while walking away - inside Johnny is sitting at the bar. Ryan goes over to him)

Ryan: what's up man (touches Johnny's back, nods to the bar tender)

Johnny: hey, this party's unbelievable, feels like I'm in a movie

Ryan: yeah I know the feelin (smiles) you haven't seen Marissa have you (drinks)

Johnny: no, no but I just got here (looks at Ryan) why what's up

(phone rings)

Ryan: nothing, I just saw her a while ago but (looks at who is calling) guess who (answers) hey where are you

(we now see that Marissa isn't the one on her phone, its Volchok. Marissa is standing between Heather and one of Volchok's bros)

Volchok: well right now...I'm with your girlfriend

(we see Ryan's stunned face)

Volchok: are you there little bitch

Ryan: yeah I'm here

Volchok: she's fine (laughs) but she does miss you so why don't you come get her, we're underneath the pier (hangs up)

(Ryan hangs up)

Johnny: what's up

Ryan: uh...Volchok's got her

Johnny: we should call the cops

Ryan: yeah, you call em I'm gonna finish this (leaves)

(Johnny sits there for a few seconds and then follows Ryan - Sandy walks in looking depressed. Kirsten sees him)

Kirsten: hey (smiles)

(Sandy goes to wave and say hey but Charlotte calls Kirsten. Sandy waves it off and motions that it doesn't matter)

Charlotte: Kirsten, I've raised over three hundred thousand dollars in pledges

Kirsten: oh that's great, I think Julies doing even better

Charlotte: yeah

Kirsten: I wouldn't be suprised if we hit a million

Charlotte: oh, where is she I haven't seen here in a while (looks around frowning)

Kirsten: I don't know

Julie: (into mic) excuse me

(we see that Julie is standing in front of everybody holding a microphone)

Julie: uh excuse me may I have your attention over here please (waves) I'm Julie Cooper-Nichol, its so great to see all your face an I just wanna thank you so much for coming here, with your assistance we are going to be able to help a great many women in need (everyone claps) (Charlotte and Kirsten watch) thankyou um however as you write your cheques I would ask that you make them out to the National Foundation For Substance Abuse (Charlotte looks stunned) as it so happens your generosity has somewhat overwhelmed our small organisation an with the National Foundations network your money will go alot further (quickly adds) and still be tax deductible (everyone laughs) so thankyou very much (more clapping)

(Julie glares at Charlotte. Charlotte looks almost angry)

Kirsten: did you know about this

Charlotte: no I...ill go talk to her (smiles)

Kirsten: ok

(Charlotte walks over to Julie and grabs her arm as she's walking)

Charlotte: Julie, what the hell do you think your doing

Julie: (nonchalantly) oh could you not hear me, I always hold the mic too far away (looks at Charlotte)

Charlotte: I wasn't kidding about the police, Julie, now you get back over there an you tell everyone it was a mistake

Julie: call em

Charlotte: what (frowns)

Julie: call the police (Charlotte looks at her) I thought so

Charlotte: oh what you think your back in society now so you don't need the money, wake up...Julie, these people are never gonna accept you, you don't have any friends here

Julie: wrong, I have Kirsten (shakes head) an I wont do this to her (Charlotte looks at her) now, I think its time you left don't you, this towns only really big enough for one (raises eyebrows) manipulative bitch (kisses Charlottes cheek, Charlotte turns away) take care sweetie

(Julie walks away - we then see Summer come up behind Seth)

Summer: where've you ben (Seth turns around) just because I'm not talking to you doesn't mean your allowed outta my sight

Seth: no I was in the (points) parking lot

Summer: (frowns) you were in the parking lot, why were you in the parking- (looks down and takes the present) Yakuza, were you with Taylor

Seth: she's having an emotional crisis

Summer: yeah well she's about to have a physical one

Seth: Summer, she thinks you're her friend

Summer: what (frowns) she is crazy I hate her

Seth: I know you along with everyone else look (Summer raises her eyebrows) this whole thing started because the other day I was at the lock in an I saw how awful her mother is so you know what I was nice to her

Summer: (nods) ok, so that's the problem that you were too nice

Seth: well she's just not use to it an I think she's overreacting a little bit (Summer frowns) she's jus really lonely

(Summer looks at Seth, Seth looks at Summer)

Summer: well she doesn't make it easy to be nice too

Seth: I know

Summer: (sighs) ...just don't ever lie to me again ok

Seth: I wont I swear

Summer: (smiles) how badly d'you wanna go home right now an watch that movie

Seth: so bad it may actually k*ll me

Summer: c'mon

(Summers walks away and Seth follows her)