03x16 - The Road Warrior

All episode transcripts for the TV show "The O.C.". Aired August 2003 - April 2007.*
Watch/Buy Amazon

A troubled youth becomes embroiled in the lives of a close-knit group of people in the wealthy, upper-class neighborhood of Newport Beach, Orange County, California.

03x16 - The Road Warrior

Post by bunniefuu »

Opening scene - Summers bedroom - the first thing we see is a close up of Summer, she has a thoughtful/contemplative expression. we then hear Summers voice only she isn't actually talking

Summer (voice over): some might say as a teenage girl growing up in Orange County everything is ours for the taking (raises eyebrows) but sooner or later we have'ta choose

(we see 2 swim suits lying out on Summers bed, she looks down at them. we then hear a knock at the door and Summer looks over, Marissa is standing there)

Marissa: hey

(Summer holds her finger up to Marissa as if to say hold on. we hear the voice over again)

Summer (v.o): you don't choose ta choose, choosing chooses you

Marissa: (frowns) ok what's that (points)

Summer: (v.o): and when we choose we're left with our choi-

(Summer runs over and stops her stereo. we now realise it's a recording that Summer was actually playing to herself of her own voice/thoughts)

Marissa: (points) oh my god you're listening to your own voice

Summer: you see all the TV shows I watch, all these women have voiceovers they even gave one to April on the Valley (Marissa looks at her) now where most'a these voiceovers (squints) they don't make much sense (points) they do make your life seem more (raises eyebrows) dramatic an meaningful

Marissa: so you think our lives need ta be (raises eyebrows, emphasises with finger) more - dramatic

Summer: (points) no not yours (shakes head) but it's our senior year second semester an I think things should be more poignant, an we don't have much time

Marissa: yeah well your right about that last part we don't have much time, cause we're late so come on (leaves) Seth an Ryan are waiting for us

Summer: (calls) ill be right there

(Summer goes back over to her stereo and pushes a button. the voiceover starts again. Summer goes back over to her bed)

Summer: (v.o): no one said choosing would be easy, but not choosing is even less easy...or something (frowns)

(Summer picks up the red swim suit and looks at it)

CUT TO: Cohen backyard, night - Seth and Summer are opposite each other in the hot tub, we see Marissa get in near Summer

Summer: so where is Atwood anyway

Seth: I don't know, but I don't care

Marissa: yeah I haven't seen him for a while (frowns)

Seth: yeah but look at it this way, the hot tubs roomier (Marissa/Summer look at him) plus, two girls an a guy I like those odds

(Summer and Marissa look at each other)

Summer: you know what (looks at Seth, Marissa does to) your right Cohen (nods) hot tub, house to (looks at Marissa) ourselves

(Seth looks at them)

Marissa: I have been kinda lonely (looks at Summer) and I have kissed a girl before (smiles, touches Summers shoulder suggestively)

Summer: (laughs, smiles, looks at Marissa) (Marissa smiles and shrugs at Seth) an I've always wanted to

Seth: uhhh, you guys are kidding (smiles a little uncomfortably)

Summer: you know what they say Cohen (moves closer, Marissa does as well) what happens (raises eyebrow) in the hot tub

Marissa: stays in the hot tub

(Summer laughs)

Seth: yeah, you guys are really committed to this joke, I commend you (looks down)

(Summer and Marissa are now either side of Seth, they have their hands on his chest/shoulders, and strangely he doesn't seem to be enjoying it)

Marissa: who's joking

Summer: yeah

Seth: oh

Summer: (rubs Seth's chest) Cohen whats'a matter

Seth: nothin

Marissa: (cutesy, touches Seth's ear) your not man enough for two girls

Seth: I gotta call Ryan (leaves the hot tub)

(Summer and Marissa laugh as Seth gets out, they clearly enjoyed torturing Seth. poor guy)

CUT TO: Johnny's house - Ryan is under the kitchen sink and Sadie is there with him holding a flashlight, just not under as far. Ryan is trying to fix the pipe

Sadie: be gentle that pipe is old

Ryan: uh-hh yeah, if you're such an expert why'd you ask for my help

Sadie: (laughs) I didn't ask for your help

Ryan: that's alright, almost got it

Sadie: mm-hmm

Ryan: almost

Sadie: wait hold on, not so hard not so hard, your gonna break it, your gonna break it

Ryan: no its (pulls on the pipe) its not gonna break

Sadie: don't do it so hard

(the pipe breaks and water sprays out over them, Ryan and Sadie quickly get out)

Sadie: quick turn it off

Ryan: I got it I got it

Sadie: (laughs) thankyou for the help

Ryan: here's a towel (playfully puts it in Sadie's face) any time at your service, you're too dry though

Sadie: (laughs) that's mean

Ryan: you ok, fine, oh

(we hear a knock at the door. Sadie wipes the front of her with a tea towel. Ryan motions to the door)

Sadie: ill get that, an some towels

(Ryan wipes his face and Sadie heads to the door, she fixes her top and then looks towards the door. we hear what sounds like police communication and see flashing blue and red lights through the glass panel. Sadie looks worried. back in the kitchen Ryan's phone rings, he sighs and then answers)

Ryan: hey man

(we see Sadie open the door. 2 policemen are standing there. Sadie looks worried)

Officer: is this the Harper residence, got some questions ma'm

(we now see Seth on his phone near the hot tub, we can hear Marissa and Summer laughing)

Seth: you were suppose'ta be here an hour ago

Ryan: yeah I know I'm sorry we just finished painting an the sink got clogged

Seth: I've got two girls in bikinis tryin'a seduce me

(we see Summer and Marissa looking over at Seth, still smiling and laughing)

Seth: which sounds awesome, but I'm scared...an I'm wet an I'm cold Ryan

Ryan: ok alright ill be right there, just gotta towel off

Seth: (frowns) why d'you need ta towel off

(Ryan hangs up and puts his phone down, then looks over towards the door. a dazed Sadie comes back into the kitchen, and the officers are still at the door)

Sadie: you should probably go home

Ryan: what're they doing here

Sadie: they have some questions about Johnny

Ryan: an what kinda questions

Sadie: (frowns) there saying his death might not'a been an accident

Ryan: no, I saw what happened I was there

Sadie: I know, so do they, just... go home I got this (pushes Ryan towards the back door)

Ryan: you sure

Sadie: go

Ryan: yeah ok, yeah

(Ryan puts on his jacket and Sadie goes back over to the door. Ryan leaves. we see the flashing lights reflect on the house as he does)

Theme song - California by Phantom Planet

Trailer park, next morning - Marissa and Summer are inside together. Marissa is getting ready for school and Summer is sitting on the bed

Summer: I was thinking of having a party, something small maybe you me Seth Ryan

Marissa: that's not a party, that's a double date

Summer: (thinks) a double date (stands) Coop that's a great idea why don't we do it this weekend

Marissa: can we just play it by ear

Summer: (arms folded) why, so you can come up with some last minute excuse to get out of it

Marissa: (sighs) hey it wasn't me who didn't show last night that was Ryan

Summer: that's true, did you guys come up with some sort of system or something (points)

Marissa: look ill call him later, we'll figure out a time to sit down an talk, ok

(Marissa and Summer walk out of the bedroom area into the kitchen)

Summer: you know, I love our pep talks, so affirming, wish I could have em with my dad

Marissa: (frowns) what's wrong with your dad

Summer: oh he's jus been working hellacious hours ever since step monster left, he was still asleep when I left this morning

Marissa: (shrugs) well maybe he's just busy

Summer: yeah well that's the point, he's been burying himself in his work to avoid staring into the emotional void

Marissa: I'm sure he'll snap out of it

Summer: (looks at Marissa) yeah, so will you an Ryan (smiles confidently)

(Marissa looks at Summer and then her phone rings)

Summer: what did I tell ya, ill be outside (smiles, leaves)

(Marissa sighs and then answers)

Marissa: hello...yeah this is

CUT TO: Johnny's house - Sadie is on the phone to Gwen, Johnny's mom

Sadie: no Aunt Gwen you just stay up there with my mom

(we see Ryan and Seth come in the back door)

Sadie: I don't know, I don't know but ill figure it out

(Ryan looks worried)

Seth: (points to the sink) I love what you've done there (Ryan sighs) probably get a cable show ta pay for that ? TVs extremely sad home makeovers (Ryan nods)

Sadie: no ones taking your house (Ryan/Seth look over) I promise, ok, love you bye (hangs up)

Ryan: hey (Sadie walks over) so I just thought id stop by before school, see how everything's going

Sadie: the banks gonna foreclose on my aunts mortgage, an until the cops figure out how Johnny d*ed...there's no insurance money from his accident, so now the insurance companies frozen the claim

Ryan: he fell off a cliff

Seth: yeah what'do they think Ryan pushed him

Sadie: I guess they've recovered some new evidence

Ryan: (frowns) what evidence

Sadie: I don't know, they wouldn't say (Ryan looks at her, then Seth frowns) don't worry its not you there interested in (frowns) they asked alotta questions about Marissa

Ryan: and

Sadie: an I said they should talk ta her

(Ryan nods)

CUT TO: Cohen kitchen - Julie is sitting at the table which has New Match paper work all over it, Kirsten is standing near her

Kirsten: as you can tell we are over our advertising budget for the month (Julie doesn't appear to be paying attention) maybe we can put something up on (Julie yawns) ocnewmatch dot com, we could call our old Newport publisher an see if he could put New Match (sits) in one of his high end lifestyle magazines

Julie: you want some more coffee (stands)

Kirsten: Julie are you even listening to me

Julie: yes, of course I'm listening you've been talking ever since I got here

Kirsten: (looks at Julie) what's going on with you, you've been zombie-like all week

Julie: ooooh (moves head side to side) another late one with Doc Roberts, in the back of his Maserati no less

Kirsten: I didn't know Maserati's had back seats (Julie looks at her) maybe you two should stop sneaking around an go public

Julie: I don't disagree an neither does my chiropractor (sighs) but you know with the death of Marissa's friend an Summer being left motherless for the second time we just don't wanna make any unnecessary waves

(Julie takes a sip of her coffee and we hear a phone ring. Julie looks at who is calling and then answers)

Julie: hello

(we now see Neil on his phone, heading towards his car)

Neil: good morning gorgeous, how'd you sleep

Julie: all by my lonesome

Neil: yeah well we've gotta do something about that don't we (picks up a note on the car, it reads "Quit working so late! miss you, Sum) just found a note from Summer I think she's getting suspicious (Julie listens) I hate keeping secrets from the kids you know

Julie: yes, well maybe we should discuss that...covertly of course (smiles)

Neil: (now in the car) how bout tomorrow night, I know the perfect hide away

Julie: well I like the sound of that (laughs) ok ill see you tomorrow (hangs up)

(Kirsten looks over at Julie)

Julie: oh Kiks I'm so tired I could really use a quick cat nap, wake me in twenty

(Julie walks off and Kirsten looks at her in disbelief)

CUT TO: The Newport Group - Matt is in his office, on the phone

Matt: well I pulled the permits unfortunately I think I left them at-

(we hear a knock and Matt looks over towards the doorway. Maya is standing there with papers in her hand, smiling)

Matt: uhh scratch that ill fax them from here (hangs up, stands)

Maya: you need'ta start tying a little string around your finger

Matt: do I (kisses Maya)

Maya: mm, yesterday it was your wallet, Monday it was your Blackberry

Matt: well, I find you very distracting in the morning (Maya laughs) in the afternoon, late at night (kisses Maya)

Maya: mm does that mean you're comin over tonight

Matt: mm-hmm (nods, kisses Maya)

Sandy: Matt we are way outta time with the hospital you gotta talk ta-

(Sandy sees that Maya is with Matt now)

Sandy: Maya, what a nice suprise

Maya: morning Sandy your looking well (smiles)

Sandy: oh you too, I'm sorry ta interrupt (to Matt) buzz me when you're free

Maya: oh he's free now, nobody respects company time like a company girl (smiles)

Matt: umm thankyou for uh

Maya: yeah ill have my assistant pick up some string for those fingers (Matt half smiles) (to Sandy) say hello to Kirsten for me

Sandy: you bet

(Maya leaves and Matt looks at Sandy)

Sandy: already with the early office drop in, you two are really hittin it off

Matt: yeah she is really great

Sandy: well I'm glad to hear it, cause if we don't get that proposal to Dr Griffin an the board by Monday (shakes head) we're dead in the water

Matt: (looks down then at Sandy) yeah I know, but the way things are between Maya an I right now I jus cant come out an ask her to get us a meeting with her dad, if I don't do this the right way it could all backfire

Sandy: (looks at Matt) you need to come through (nods)...the clock is ticking

(Matt watches Sandy as he leaves)

CUT TO: Harbor school - Seth and Summer are in the student lounge together, Summer is on her phone and Seth is reading next to her

Summer: um yeah can you just tell him that his daughter called again (Seth looks at her) thanks (hangs up, sadly) oy

Seth: as in vey (Summer looks at him) (clicks) atta girl

Summer: apparently my dads in "surgery" all day, how many calf implants does it take to fill a hole (raises eyebrows) in the human heart

(Taylor comes over and sits between Seth and Summer)

Taylor: hi friends

Seth: hey

Summer: oh hey

Taylor: (looks at Seth) so what're we (looks at Summer) talking about

Seth: Summers worried her dads burying his pain an loneliness in his work

Taylor: oooh (frowns, looks at Summer) that's so sad

Summer: yeah

Taylor: what's the plan

(Seth and Summer both look at Taylor, frowning)

Taylor: you guys don't have a plan

Summer: (shrugs) do you

Taylor: off the top of my head, um (looks at Summer) get him inta therapy to explore the route of why he cant express himself in a lasting partnership (holds up finger) or, find him a hot date, take his mind off being utterly alone

Summer: (nods) huh

Taylor: (softly to Seth) does he still have the things on his thing

Seth: no no no, a little penicillin cleared that right up

Taylor: great

Seth: looks fantastic (Taylor looks at him) (nods)

Taylor: (frowns) good, that's good (Summer looks at her) an you know I would offer up my mom but she's not a big second chancer

Summer: (fakes disappointment) oh

Taylor: what about getting Seth's mom to take your dad as a client

(Summer looks as though she's considering it)

Seth: that's not a bad idea

Summer: yeah but the last person that should be choosing my dads next great love, is my dad but me on the other hand I could make a list of all the stuff that he should (raises eyebrows) be looking for and pick the girl myself

Taylor: that's good, an ill start brainstorming on ideas for fun things for old people to do on a first date (smiles excitedly)

Summer: hm

Seth: hmm

(Seth, Taylor & Summer all look as though they are trying to think, but not having much luck - the next thing we see is Ryan walking over to Marissa at her locker)

Ryan: hey, I've ben tryin'a find you

Marissa: (looks) oh

Ryan: police talk to you

Marissa: (looks at Ryan) yeah, they call you too, they must wanna talk to everyone who was there

Ryan: uh no actually uh Sadie said they only asked her about you

Marissa: me

Ryan: yeah, you want me ta go with you

Marissa: ...no, no it's ok whatever it is I don't wanna drag you into it

at the same time:

Marissa: so how's that j-

Ryan: look I'm-

(Ryan and Marissa look at each other. Marissa half smiles and looks down then at Ryan)

Ryan: look I- I know I haven't been around much lately

Marissa: its ok, you're helping Gwen that's important

Ryan: yeah actually I need'a go over there after school but um...maybe we could get together later, talk

Marissa: yeah of course, ill uh ill call you, tell Sadie I say hi (starts to walk away)

Ryan: you know you might wanna see Sandy about the police

Marissa: (looks) I'm sure it's nothing, but thanks (smiles)

(Ryan watches Marissa as she walks away)

CUT TO: Johnny's house - Ryan comes in the backdoor holding a bucket full of supplies

Ryan: (calls) hey, so I figured we'd start by patchin up the wall (sighs) which is really more fun than it sounds

(Sadie comes out)

Sadie: no its not

Ryan: no its not (looks at Sadie) you look like your on a mission

Sadie: (puts on jacket) that's because I am

Ryan: everything ok

Sadie: uhh it will be, once I get done smacking that stupid bastard around

Ryan: ooo who's gettin smacked around

Sadie: my uncle

Ryan: Johnny's dad

Sadie: if you wanna call him that, so the patching'll have'ta wait until after I get back from Brea

Ryan: yeah, sure, d'you want'a ride

Sadie: I've got a car (smiles)

Ryan: well your gonna need some company

Sadie: (closes eyes) I kinda already have some

(Ryan looks towards the front door just as Volchok comes in)

Volchok: hey what's up you ready to roll

Ryan: what is this guy doin here

Volchok: that's funny (points) because I was just about to ask her (points to Sadie) the same thing about you

Ryan: yeah well you've always been kinda slow

Volchok: yeah but I'm quick at kickin your ass

Ryan: running away is more how I remember it

(Sadie looks from Ryan to Volchok. unimpressed by the so called pissing contest they have going)

Volchok: ah really, well id love to jump back in the ring (Ryan raises his eyebrows as if to say anytime)

Sadie: you know what too much testosterone (Ryan looks at her) Volchok's dad use'ta be drinking buddies with Jack Harper so he knows where we can find him

Ryan: alright (looks at Volchok) then he can give us the address

Volchok: mm well, I'm kinda lookin forward to a road trip (looks at Sadie) you know catchin up

Ryan: (confidently) we'll send you a postcard (raises eyebrows)

Sadie: Ryan (shakes head) don't

(Sadie goes over to get a piece of paper. Ryan watches her and then looks at Volchok. Volchok smiles)

Sadie: (holds out pen & paper to Volchok) why don't you just write down the address

(Volchok takes the pen and paper and starts writing)

Volchok: whatever, any chance to avoid Johnny's dad sounds good to me, I hate that guy

Sadie: thanks, ill send him your best

(Volchok heads towards the door then stops and points at Ryan)

Volchok: so if your gonna be with her (points to Sadie) does that mean your girlfriends all alone (Ryan looks at him) what goes around comes around

(Volchok looks at Ryan and then closes the door behind him. Ryan doesn't look happy with the notion of Volchok going after Marissa)

CUT TO: A desert road - Sadie is driving and Ryan is in the passenger seat

Ryan: (off screen) you wanna tell me the deal with you an Volchok

Sadie: (off screen) I was visiting Johnny one summer, when I was younger, stupid, it didn't work out

Ryan: (off screen) hard ta believe (on screen) you wanna take the five to the fifty seven, its faster

Sadie: (laughs) oh right because you know so much about driving inland, when was the last time your parents (Ryan looks at her) eighty thousand dollar SUV was east of South Coast Plaza

Ryan: (looks at Sadie) the Cohen's are my guardians, not my parents...grew up in Chino, dads in prison my mum...couldn't make it work

Sadie: I just knew there was something about you that didn't quite fit in

Ryan: mm

Sadie: (smiles) in a good way (Ryan half smiles) I wonder if your dad knows my Uncle Jack

Ryan: why would he

Sadie: from prison, he's ben in a couple times (Ryan nods) id put him back if I could (Ryan listens) he owes my aunt years of child support, he's her last hope, now she needs that money

Ryan: so you think you can turn him?

Sadie: if I don't try who will

(we see Sadie's hair blowing in the wind as the car drives past and then gets further away)

CUT TO: The Newport Group - Matt is in his office writing something and Sandy walks in

Sandy: what would you feel about dinner

Matt: (looks up) sure, whatever you feel like

Sandy: tomorrow night (Matt looks at him) me you Kirsten an Maya

Matt: (sits forward) sounds good (Sandy sits) have you been locked in your office all day plannin our social lives

Sandy: let me ask Maya about the proposal

Matt: ...Sandy I said id do it

Sandy: no its better this way, ill bring it up, it'll be easier

(before Matt has a chance to respond there is a knock. Marissa is standing in the doorway)

Sandy: (stands) Marissa, come on in

Marissa: hey, I went by the house (hugs Sandy) Kirsten told me you were here

Sandy: oh the doors always open honey (points) you remember Matt

(Matt waves)

Marissa: I think I need some legal advice, the cops wanna talk to me about Johnny...they don't seem ta think it was an accident

Sandy: did they suspect Ryan's to blame for this

Marissa: no, I actually think there tryin'a blame me

Sandy: (suprised) you

Marissa: yeah I don't know what's going on (frowns) I just know I'm suppose'ta be at the station right now giving them a statement

Sandy: (nods) well ill call an get that rescheduled, we'll do it at the house

Marissa: eh oh if you don't mind id kind of like to keep Ryan outta this

Sandy: of course (raises eyebrows, nods)

Matt: feel free to use my place

Sandy: thanks Matt, but before that we'll need to sit down an go over what your gonna say, an your gonna have'ta tell me everything you know about Johnny...an you...an that night

(Marissa looks worried)

CUT TO: Cohen kitchen - Kirsten and Julie are still at the table with New Match paperwork all over the table. Summer comes in

Kirsten: oh hey Summer I didn't know you were joining us tonight (Julie looks) Seth just went out ta pick up dinner

Summer: oh, actually I came to see you guys

Kirsten: oh, is everything ok

Summer: (frowns) well no, not really, it's my dad he needs like serious an immediate help with his love life

(Kirsten and Julie look at each other)

Julie: really what-what (looks at Summer) makes you say that

Summer: I've never seen him so miserable, he's barely ever at home he's either at work which is so lame (Kirsten looks at Julie) or at the gym which is just weird (frowns) he's already dropped like twenty pounds

Julie: well, maybe he's getting into shape incase he meets that special someone

Kirsten: or maybe he's already met her

Summer: oh please don't say that (shakes head) my dad has disastrous taste in women, if I don't step in he'll wind up with the first money grubbing slut bag that gets into the back seat of his Maserati

(at this point Summer goes out of focus in the foreground and Julie comes into focus in the background, she has her mouth wide open in shock)

Kirsten: Julie would you like to take this

(Summer turns and looks at Julie. Julie holds out her hand but doesn't say anything, speechless perhaps, lol)

Summer: actually, all I need is like a list'a candidates cause I did all the work myself

(Summer holds out a folder to Kirsten. Kirsten takes a look at some photos)

Kirsten: there all blonde (Julie looks at Kirsten, worried) Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct

Summer: the look my dad goes for

(Julie takes the folder from Kirsten and looks through it herself)

Summer: um an this is a list of non negotiable qualifications that she must possess

(Summer holds out the list to Kirsten, Kirsten goes to take it but Julie grabs it first)

Julie: (reads) mental stability, crossword enthusiast (worried) (Summer nods) love horses (shows Kirsten)

Kirsten: (reads) must have own money, plastic surgery free, fluent in Italian, this doesn't leave much wiggle room Summer

Summer: its just that my dad didn't have much in common with his first two wives an they left so...its just not fair to (shrugs) him or me

(Julie and Kirsten look at each other)

Julie: ok well we'll see what we can do

Summer: really, thankyou guys so much this means so much to me (Kirsten smiles) (points)I'm gonna go see if my dads actually coming home tonight (smiles) bye

(Summer leaves .Julie looks at Kirsten worriedly)

Kirsten: (smiles) what're you gonna do Julie

Julie: I don't know, is it possible I'm not enough woman for him, do I really need to be all these things (points)

Kirsten: Julie you are never gonna be any'a these things (Julie looks at her) ok blonde maybe, fluent in Italian (shakes head) not so much, you have'ta tell Summer the truth

(Julie looks very reluctant)

CUT TO: Brea - we see Ryan and Sadie out the front of a house, the yard has debris all over it

Ryan: guy really keeps up on his yard work

Sadie: yeah Uncle Jack is a really good neighbour

(Sadie knocks on the door and a scruffy looking guy answers)

Sadie: hi (looks at Ryan, Ryan looks at her) we're looking for Jack Harper but...your not him

Guy: what he in some kinda trouble

Ryan: n- no no no no, no trouble

Sadie: n-no g-good news actually

Guy: too bad, I frikkin hate that guy

Sadie: he owes someone money an we're tryin'a collect

Guy: he moved to Indio, that's all I know

Ryan: uh phone number (shrugs) forwarding address

Guy: no one around here is lookin to keep in touch

Sadie: ok, thankyou for your help

Guy: you find Jack Harper you won't be thanking me

(the guy shuts the door. Ryan and Sadie walk away)

Ryan: so we're goin ta Indio

Sadie: Ryan Indio's like two hours inta the desert, we wont even be able to start looking until morning

Ryan: yeah, so we spend the night

Sadie: (looks at Ryan) you know I think you might be missed

Ryan: I will make some calls

(Sadie looks at Ryan and hands the car keys to him)

Sadie: (shakes head) you don't have'ta do this

Ryan: I want to

(Ryan heads back to the car and Sadie follows him)

CUT TO: A restaurant - we see Neil walk in and the guy at the front motions to where Julie is. the camera then moves to Julie, we see her legs and then gradually the rest of her. she is sitting at the table dressed like Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct, right down to the cigarette in her hand. she is doing a crossword on the table

Neil: Julie

Julie: (looks up) Buona sera doctor

Neil: (looks at Julie suprised) Buona sera

Julie: what's a thirteen letter word for secretive

Neil: surreptitious, I don't think you can smoke here (sits)

(Julie shrugs and puts the cigarette down)

Neil: Julie what is all this

Julie: oh do you like it (un crosses legs and re crosses them towards Neil) (smiles) because tonight is all about you

Neil: ...I didn't...know you do crosswords

(Julie smiles - over at the door we see Taylor on the phone. I apologise in advance for my poor skills here but I can barely understand what they say led alone write it)

Taylor: no mom there out of bibimbap

Guy: settle down?

Taylor: uh how bout pogo oui?

Guy: (nods) two'a those

Taylor: (nods) szesnan taru jutsao (the guy nods and smiles) mom next time let me call in the order (laughs) I know that's why they call it Korean barbeque, ok goodbye (hangs up, frustrated) amunindey

(the guy laughs and says something which I can't hear properly, and nods to Taylor)

Taylor: ne

(the guy walks off and Taylor notices Neil inside. she can't see that Julie is with him. she starts walking over and then stops)

Julie: (off screen) so what'll it be hm, blonde Italian philanthropist, I can be all of them (we see a close up Taylor's shocked face) tell me in your wildest dreams what would you do with a willing woman

Neil: (off screen) ok

(Taylor makes an oh sound and keeps watching them)

CUT TO: Trailer park - Marissa is sitting on the verandah leaning against the trailer, she's also on the phone to Summer

Summer: (off screen) so did you guys make plans to talk or what

Marissa: yeah, we agreed we'd talk we just didn't pick a time or a place

(we now see Summer on the phone in her house)

Summer: Coop, usually a time an place are crucial aspects to any plan

Marissa: I know

Summer: look don't be scared, you an Ryan have been getting along ok

Marissa: (scoffs) yeah that's because we haven't been talking

Summer: (frowns, worried) just call him (Marissa doesn't say anything) do it!

Marissa: fine, bye (Marissa hangs up and stares off in the distance)
CUT TO: A motel - we see Ryan looking out of the window before closing the curtains. Sadie comes out of the bathroom with wet hair

Ryan: (holds up cards) you play poker

Sadie: what's the pot

Ryan: uhhh well I got like twenty bucks on me

Sadie: mm that's not gonna do it

Ryan: (laughs, looks at Sadie) then what

Sadie: ...you ever play strip poker

Ryan: (raises eyebrows suprised) yes, yes I have (Sadie smiles) played strip poker, I think I'm wearing more clothes than you are though

Sadie: yes but I think I'm a way better player

Ryan: you think so

Sadie: mm-hmm, yeah, just deal

Ryan: ok

(Ryan and Sadie sit on the bed across from each other)

Ryan: uh-hm

Sadie: loser sleeps on the floor, which basically means your gonna be sleeping on the floor

Ryan: sure, sure, sure

(Ryan shuffles the cards just as his phone rings. he looks over at his phone which is lying LCD side down, he turns it over and we see that it says CA MARISSA, Ryan just stares at it ringing)

Sadie: your bookie (smiles)

Ryan: no, no it's just Seth...I'll call him in the morning

(Ryan goes back to shuffling - we then see Marissa with her phone to her ear and she hears this msg:

Ryan: hey its Ryan, leave a message

Marissa hangs up without leaving a message, we see a close up of her face, she almost looks sad, that fades to a sh*t of waves crashing on the beach and then that fades to Ryan and Sadie laughing with each other, this fades to a sh*t of the motel from outside)

CUT TO: Motel, next morning - we see the door open on a dark room, the light that the door lets in lets us see that Ryan is on the floor. he opens his eyes a little. Sadie is standing in the doorway with food and coffee

Sadie: room service

Ryan: (leans up) what's on the menu (squints)

Sadie: black coffee an jelly doughnuts, courtesy of the circle k, full set service?

Ryan: I gotta remember this place (gets up)

(the next thing we see is Ryan sitting at the outside table on the verandah, Sadie comes out with the yellow pages in her hand)

Sadie: so I flipping through the yellow pages...an I found this

(Sadie puts the yellow pages down on the table and taps on a specific add. it says 24-HOUR BAIL BONDS underneath that it has BIG and a fancy H in a circle, there is more details etc underneath but they aren't important)

Ryan: (looks) hmm, think that's him

Sadie: when we were kids he was big H an Johnny was little H so I think its gotta be

Ryan: alright (sighs) I'm gonna shower (sniffs) wake myself up (stands) I didn't actually sleep so well last night

Sadie: hey if you wanna sleep in a bed, don't bluff with a pair

(Sadie smiles, Ryan starts to go inside)

Sadie: did you call Seth back

CUT TO: The pool house - we see Seth rolling around on Ryan's bed, in the covers etc. his phone rings and he answers it

Seth: dude, where are you

(we now see Ryan on his phone, on the verandah of the motel near the pool)

Ryan: Indio (sighs) how much trouble am I in

Seth: uhh none yet mom an dad think your helping inner city kids paint a overpass mural, I'm rolling around in your bed right now so it looks slept in

Ryan: yeah you'd probably do that anyway

Seth: so, how bout a little gratitude

Ryan: your right I owe you uh (sighs) but trust me it's for a good cause

Seth: any chance you wanna clue me in on what that cause is

Ryan: the less you know the better, uh jus keep doin what your doin, except the bed thing that's just creepy (hangs up)

(Seth hangs up, thinks for a few seconds and then pulls the covers back over himself as he rolls. Taylor walks in)

Taylor: Seth what're you doing

Seth: Ryan's painting a mural (sits up quickly, he has bed hair, lol)

Taylor: what're you doing

Seth: hey (frowns) what're you doing here, how'd you get in

Taylor: you know never mind all that this is an emergency (holds up hand) Summers going to majorly wig when she finds out who her dad is dating

Seth: yeah well whoever it is, stayin out of it

Taylor: (matter of factly) Julie Cooper (Seth frowns) I caught them having an illicit liaison an the way they were talking was totally perverted (shakes head)

Seth: wow, wait perverted how

Taylor: (screws up face) just what are we gonna tell Summer

(Seth points to Taylor and mouths "you". Summer of course comes in)

Summer: what's who gonna tell Summer

Seth: (looks at Summer then Taylor) do I need'a call a locksmith

Summer: (arms folded, looks at Taylor) what're you doing here T bad?

Taylor: uhhh (looks at Seth) you know what she's your girlfriend you should tell her

Summer: oh puhlease, not you two again (Seth frowns and shakes his head)

Taylor: oh no, no no no I'm totally over that weirdness no (Seth frowns, nods) uh your dad an Julie Cooper are doing it

(Summer blinks and turns her head, stunned)

Taylor: yeah it's a shock to me to (Seth holds his hands out & shrugs) I wouldnt'a believed it myself if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes (Summer looks at her) it was all very mid nineties overwrought thriller, a sort of a Verhoeven shape

Summer: (frowns) it's like a Sharon Stone movie, oh my god

Seth: ok but hold on this kind of broad reveal requires independent confirmation (raises eyebrows)

Taylor: fine, you can see for yourself, I happen to know where there next tryst is going to be

CUT TO: Driving range - we see a golf ball sitting on a tee

Neil: (off screen) keep your eye on the ball and (swings golf club) swing through it, ok

(we can now see that Neil and Julie are there together, Julie has a cute little red and white golfing outfit on, she looks quite the part)

Neil: go ahead, your turn, come on

Julie: oh (reluctant) Neil I am not very athletic

(Julie stands near the tee and Neil stands behind her, aww)

Neil: spread your feet a little bit, ok, let the grip rest gently in your hand (Julie smiles) you keep your eye on the ball an your gonna swing through the ball, ok

Julie: ok

Neil: raise the club gently (raises the club with Julie)

Julie: (stops) now if I break a nail, your next fantasy better involve a French manicure

Neil: are we gonna do this now

Julie: mm-hmm (nods, smiles)

Neil: look at the ball

Julie: ok, ok, yes

(we see Julie and Neil swing together and she actually hits the ball. we then see Summer and Seth nearby in a golf cart, Seth is driving)

Summer: there's no way, this is my dad's favourite place he would not bring a woman here

Seth: maybe he doesn't think of Julie as an actual woman, just a golf buddy

(Summer looks through binoculars just as Neil and Julie share a kiss and then a hug)

Seth: who he makes out with

Summer: (screws up face) I cannot believe this (looks at Seth, hits him) lets go

(Summer looks through the binoculars again and we see Julie in Neil's arms, her feet are actually off the ground, you know that kind of hug)

Seth: (mesmerised) ok

Summer: let's go!

(Seth reverses the golf cart and they start to leave)

Summer: that's so horrible

Seth: I think there cute

CUT TO: Bail bonds in Indio - Sadie and Ryan walk up to the door. Ryan opens it and motions after you to Sadie. the next thing we see is the inside of the shop, as Sadie and Ryan walk in we can see a g*n being cleaned in the foreground

Ryan: (shuts door) Jack Harper in

(there is a scruffy looking guy sitting at a far table. Ryan and Sadie are near him)

Guy: he's out on a job, if you need a bond i can-

Ryan: we're not here about a bond, we uh we're lookin for him (guy looks at him)

Sadie: when d'you expect him back

Guy: who wants to know

Sadie: well his dead son (raises eyebrows) for starters

Guy: (scoffs, shakes head) get outta here

Ryan: we- we don't mind waiting

Guy: (stands) I got authority to protect this property with lethal force (Sadie/Ryan look at him) you know what that means

Ryan: means we'll be out in the car

Guy: yeah

(Ryan opens the door for Sadie and they leave. the guy picks up the phone and starts to dial)

CUT TO: The cliff where Johnny fell - we see a yellow police line has been set up which is being held in place by several white barriers. we hear Johnny's voice very echo'y and distant, from that night

Johnny v.o: hey Marissa, come up here, you gotta check this view

(we see that Marissa is standing near the barriers, in a thoughtful daze. we then hear a mans voice more clearly)

Detective v.o: was your friend Johnny a big drinker

Marissa v.o: no

(we are now with Sandy, Marissa and a man in Matt's apartment. the man that asked the question is a Detective and it seems Marissa is thinking back to the deposition)

Detective: but he was drinking that night, any idea why

Sandy: your asking her ta speculate

(we see Marissa at the cliff again. she's looking out towards the water with her arms folded. we are seeing mainly the back of her)

Detective v.o: are you aware of anything that happened to Johnny that day, anything that might of made him want to drink

(we see a grey scale flashback of Johnny standing on the cliff with the bottle in his hand, motioning for Marissa to join him. from 314 of course)

Detective v.o: a fight with a friend or

(we then see Marissa and Kaitlin looking up at Johnny terrified, at the same time we can hear Johnny's voice in an echo)

Johnny v.o: as bad as I wanna be with you, I love you an I think you love me too

(we see a sh*t of Marissa thinking, this is still the deposition Marissa and not the one at the cliff. it then flashbacks to the scene from 306, the moment when Johnny confides in Marissa about what he did. we then see Marissa with Sandy and the detective guy again. Marissa looks at Sandy, Sandy looks at her)

Detective: (off screen) yes or no

Sandy: excuse me detective we need a minute (stands) alone please

Detective: (reads) what we're doing here

(we can now see that the detective is reading the burnt letter which is inside an evidence bag)

Detective v.o: isn't only unfair to you it's unfair to

(while the detective talks we see a flashback of Johnny reading the letter by the fire, we then see Johnny screw it up)

Detective v.o: this next parts b*rned here

Marissa: Ryan (closes eyes) to Ryan (looks over at the letter)

(we then see a flashback from 306 of Johnny and Marissa standing together after Johnny confides in her, the sun has just started to set)

Marissa v.o: I'm with you

Ryan v.o: but that's not the whole story is it

Detective v.o: recovered from a fire pit on the beach

(we see a flashback of Johnny throwing the letter into the fire. then we see Marissa starting to look upset and hear more of the detective reading the letter)

Detective: (off screen) I'm not in love with you (Marissa closes her eyes, its clearly hard for her to hear it) and I never will be

Sandy: may I see that

(the detective hands Sandy the evidence bag, we then see another flashback from that night, Marissa is looking up at Johnny just before he fell)

Detective v.o: seems like Johnny took the news pretty hard

Johnny: (echo'y) Marissa...Ryan Atwood saves the

Detective v.o: I can't imagine that it made your boyfriend very happy either

Marissa: (scared) Johnny

(we then see Ryan trying to convince Johnny to come down)

Marissa: Ryan didn't even know this existed (looks at Detective) he has nothing to do with this

Sandy: jus let him ask his question

Marissa: no its ok I wanna tell him (looks at Detective) Ryan didn't push him

(we see another flash back of Johnny standing close to the edge)

Johnny: (calls) hey Marissa

Marissa v.o: and Johnny didn't commit su1c1de

(we see Marissa and Kaitlin looking up at Johnny, and then Johnny with his hands outstretched just before he falls)

Marissa v.o: if you really wanna know what happened he slipped

(we see Johnny's feet slide down the rocks and Johnny fall out of the sh*t, the camera goes down a little like we are following the fall but all we see is the rocks of the cliff face)

Kaitlin v.o: (echo'y) Johnny

(we now see Marissa at the cliff again, the reliving/remembering everything has upset her and she kicks one of the white barriers down which knocks another one over. she moves closer the edge and then turns to walk away, as she does she stops. Volchok is standing there looking at her. Marissa looks at him and pushes hair behind her ear, he looks at her and holds out a flask)

Marissa: no thanks

Volchok: you know uh Johnny an I use'ta be friends...yeah he an Chili use'ta follow me an the guys around, try an get us to teach em how'ta surf

Marissa: ...(shrugs) yeah well what happened

Volchok: he got better'en me, an I didn't like that

Marissa: your secrets safe with me (starts to walk away) I should go

Volchok: look (Marissa looks) if you ever wanna kick it or hang out or somethin...I'm around

Marissa: I'm not interested

Volchok: you sure about that (Marissa looks at him) I can keep a secret too

(Volchok turns towards the water and Marissa looks as though she's thinking)

CUT TO: Cohen bedroom - Kirsten is in there and Sandy comes in

Kirsten: how'd it go

Sandy: well there were a few suprises, but there doesn't seem to be any material evidence pointing ta su1c1de or foul play so if that's the case (shakes head) they'll have no choice but to rule it a- an accident

Kirsten: I'm glad (looks at Sandy, moves closer) honey you look exhausted

Sandy: well thankyou darling you look beautiful as always (Kirsten smiles) I was up most'a the night putting the finishing touches on this hospital proposal

Kirsten: maybe we should reschedule this dinner with Matt an Maya for next weekend

Sandy: oh I wish we could (takes off jacket, sighs) but it'd defeat the whole purpose

Kirsten: I thought the purpose was dinner

Sandy: well dinner, an Maya's our only chance at getting a second hearing at the hospital board

Kirsten: (looks at Sandy then walks away) well the way those two have been getting along I think he really likes her, I thought you abandoned this idea weeks ago

Sandy: why would we abandon it, she's not naive, she might wanna help

Kirsten: (puts on jacket) well she might wanna re think the relationship if it doesn't go well, I know I would

Sandy: oh honey we're all adults here...an this project has the potential to do an awful lotta good

(Sandy walks past Kirsten, Kirsten looks worried)

CUT TO: Bail bonds Indio - Sadie and Ryan are sitting in the car waiting for Jack to show up. Sadie has a big drink

Sadie: stakeouts are so much cooler in movies

Ryan: (takes drink) yeah that's cause they cut right to the part where the guy shows up

(a black nice looking truck pulls in front of Sadie's car and stops closer to the shop)

Sadie: that's him come on

(Ryan nods and they both get out of the car. Jack gets out of his truck and heads towards the shop)

Ryan: (off screen) (calls) Jack Harper

(Jack turns around and looks at Ryan and Sadie. he looks like the typical deadbeat dad)

Jack: who's asking

Ryan: friend'a your sons

Jack: I don't have a son (keeps walking)

Sadie: I know Uncle Jack, It's why we're here

Jack: (turns around) Sadie

Sadie: Aunt Gwen says thanks for the card you sent

Jack: I didn't send her a card

Sadie: yeah an you know what else you didn't send, child support for like the last three years

Jack: see I needed that money to start my business

Sadie: really, so is this truck here (points) apart'a your business

Jack: yeah, matter'a fact it is

(Ryan looks at Jack. Sadie is over at Jacks truck)

Sadie: oh, its nice (Jack nods smugly) you must be doin pretty well so I'm sure you wont mind just paying her whatever you owe her

Jack: (points) I don't owe that bitch, anything

(Jack turns and heads towards the door to the shop. Sadie takes a pipe out of the back of the truck)

Ryan: (sees) Sadie

(Sadie quickly goes to the front of the truck and hits it hard. Jack laughs but its more of an you've gotta be kidding me kind. Ryan looks from Sadie to Jack)

Jack: (points) your jokin right

(Sadie looks at Jack with a determined look and then smashes the side mirror. by this point everyone in the shop has come out to see what's going on. Jack runs over to Sadie and Ryan tries to stop him)

Jack: come here, give me (grabs Sadie from behind)

Ryan: get off her

(Ryan tries to pull Jack off Sadie, Sadie says something but I can't make out what it is)

Ryan: get off'a her!

(Jacks friends try and get Ryan off him. Ryan grabs one of them around the waist and slams him into a car. the guy from inside earlier, is holding Sadie and Jack goes over to Ryan)

Sadie: get off me, let go of me, let go

Jack: you know what, this aint high school kid

(Jack's buddies hold Ryan for him and he punches him hard in the face. Ryan's head flies back)

Sadie: (screams) stop!

(we see Jack laying into Ryan through a reflection near the car)

Sadie: stop it, get off of me (jumps, tries to wriggle free) Ryan!

(after a few punches Jack and his buddies throw Ryan to the concrete and he just lays there. Jack steps over him and we can see his bloody face)

Sadie: get off me, get off, get off me (upset, screams) Ryan! let go, Ryan!

(the guy holding Sadie doesn't let her go, then we see Ryan's face again. his nose, mouth, cheek and eyebrow are covered in blood and he breathes in but it looks painful. his eyes are closed. poor guy!)

CUT TO: A diner in Indio - Sadie and Ryan are sitting at a table together. Sadie dabs at Ryan's wounds

Sadie: I'm sorry

Ryan: (closes eyes) no its (laughs, pulls away) not that bad, except when you do that

Sadie: no I meant I'm sorry that I dragged you inta this

Ryan: (raises eyebrows) yeah well if I remember you kinda begged me not to come (looks at Sadie)

(we see a close up of Sadie taking ice out of a bowl on the table. next to the bowl are the car keys

Sadie: I just wish we had gotten the money

Ryan: yeah what'do you think Johnny's moms gonna do now

Sadie: I don't know, Jack was kind'a her last chance

(Ryan looks down)

Sadie: (frowns) I bet it's kind of hard for you to imagine Gwen married to a guy like that

Ryan: (raises eyebrows) easier than you think...turns out Johnny an I kinda had alot in common (looks down)

(Ryan swallows and grabs something from the table, he stands to leave)

Sadie: are you ok

Ryan: (points) I will be

(Ryan walks away and Sadie watches him. she then looks down at the table and moves the ice bowl, realising the car keys are gone. we hear the sound of a car starting and Sadie looks out of the window next to her just as Ryan drives off without her)

CUT TO: A restaurant - Sandy, Kirsten, Matt & Maya are sitting at a table together, they are all smiling and happy

Maya: first time I laid eyes on Matt was at a tailgate party, he was doing a cake stand

Matt: no you see I thought it was when you rushed my house as a little sister?

Maya: no (raises eyebrows) that's the first time you saw me, I was stalking you for months (smiles) (Matt raises his eyebrow and smiles)

Sandy: I use'ta walk behind Kirsten on her way home (Kirsten smiles) she lived on the opposite side'a campus but I lived to watch her walk

Kirsten: an I called campus security (raises eyebrows) (Maya smiles)

Sandy:ah it was worth every minute I was detained an questioned (Maya laughs, Kirsten smiles at him) now here we are, I'm running Kirsten's fathers company, Matt here has ben workin like a dog (Matt looks at Maya) on a proposal for your dads hospital

Maya: (smiles at Matt) yeah, I wish that had worked out

Sandy: well (Kirsten looks at him) we don't give up that easily (Maya looks at him) we were hopin you could help us get one more sh*t with your father (Matt looks uncomfortable) we listened to what he had'ta say an we completely reworked the proposal

Maya: well your a (raises eyebrows) passionate man Sandy ill give you that (shrugs) why don't I take a look at it, if I like what I see ill pass it along (nods) we'll set up a meeting for next week

Sandy: well we can't wait that long, the board is moving forward on Monday

Maya: (looks at Sandy then away) I see

Matt: Maya its not a big deal don't worry about it

(Kirsten looks uncomfortable)

Sandy: it really is that big'a deal, your our only chance (Maya looks at him) (shrugs) I'm sorry in advance if this is putting too much pressure on you (Maya looks away) but this hospital could help alotta people, that's the only reason we're asking...but we are asking, we need your help

Kirsten: Sandy we're eating can we at least wait until after dinner

(Kirsten looks at Sandy, clearly not happy with him. Sandy looks at her. Maya looks at Matt)

Maya: Matt, d'you want me to show the proposal to my father too

Matt: ...yeah, I would

Maya: ...then id be happy to Sandy (smiles) will you excuse me

(Maya leaves the table. Matt follows her. Kirsten looks at Sandy unimpressed)

Sandy: she said she'd be happy to

(Kirsten looks down, almost disappointed in him)

CUT TO: Summers house - we hear kissing sounds and see legs intertwined on the couch. the camera moves up to show Seth on top of Summer, we hear a few giggles from Summer

Summer: wait but (Seth kisses her) wait Seth

(we hear more kissing and then Summer pushes Seth to the side)

Seth: what

Summer: (worried) what if her evil plan works an my dad actually falls for her

Seth: would that really be the worst thing, you an Marissa are already like sisters (raises eyebro