03x23 - The Party Favor

All episode transcripts for the TV show "The O.C.". Aired August 2003 - April 2007.*
Watch/Buy Amazon

A troubled youth becomes embroiled in the lives of a close-knit group of people in the wealthy, upper-class neighborhood of Newport Beach, Orange County, California.

03x23 - The Party Favor

Post by bunniefuu »

JETTY

SETH: It's senior prom; it's mythic.

RYAN: Yeah, well, it's ties and dresses and photos with parents. Sounds like any other dance to me.

SETH: Well, it's not. It's a romantic capstone to your entire adolescence, and if Summer and I don't go together, it's over.

RYAN: Well, ask her.

SETH: Oh, she's still not talking to me.

RYAN: Well, have you told her there's nothing going on between you and Anna?

SETH: I tried, but every time we get close, she blows her r*pe whistle.

RYAN: r*pe. Well, you know, I'm not going, so, if you, uh... if you want to hang out, rent a movie...

SETH: Ryan, I love you, but if I have to spend my senior prom playing video games with you, I'm going to k*ll myself. Besides, I left Summer a message telling her I'm going to meet her at the diner tomorrow morning.

RYAN: You think she'll show?

SETH: Kind of pretended I was the Brown admissions guy. It's senior prom; anything goes. Hi, there.

WAITRESS: Hi. What's it going to be?

SETH: Chicken, please.

RYAN: And I'll have the beef.

SETH: Why aren't you going to ask someone, man? What about Tina Woo-- she's been looking really hot lately. What about Theresa?

RYAN: Uh, yeah, I don't think so.

SETH: Why? You said you've been spending a lot of time with her.

RYAN: We have. Actually, she's coming over to the house tomorrow.

SETH: Okay, great-- now that the baby thing's resolved, the pressure's off. It's perfect. Do it.

RYAN: But, I mean, she still has the baby. She can't just, you know...

SETH: One night. They have these new crazy things called baby-sitters. I'm just saying, it's senior prom. She's your childhood sweetheart. You have to respect the romantic symmetry.

RYAN: You know what? I'll think about it and I appreciate you not bringing up the idea of Marissa and I going as friends.

SETH: No, I get it. It's in the past.

RYAN: Plus, I assume she'll be going with the surf n*zi anyways, unless he's selling cr*ck to blind kids, or...

SETH: or fondling some girl at the end of the pier. Ah, maybe that's his cousin. His really... dirty cousin.

GENERIC

COFFEE SHOP

SUMMER: Hi. Leave.

SETH:Okay, Summer...

SUMMER: No, I'm meeting someone here. You need to leave.

SETH: The Brown guy?

SUMMER: How did you know that?

SETH: I'm sorry. It was just the only way I could get you to meet me.

SUMMER: You are sick, you know that? Deranged.

COHEN' HOUSE

THERESA: No.

RYAN: Yes.

THERESA: No.

RYAN: Yes.

THERESA: No, our first kiss was on Halloween. Trust me, it was my sixth birthday, and my mom let me have dancing, but you didn't know how, so you hid in the bathroom.

RYAN: And you tracked me down and kissed me. How did I ever block that out?

THERESA: I don't know.

RYAN: This is crazy. Do you want to go to prom with me?

THERESA: What?

KEVIN'S PLACE

MARISSA: Okay... Wait, that's not why I'm here. So, you're going to think I'm... really lame, but... would you maybe want to go to prom with me?

KEVIN: Are you serious?

COFFEE SHOP

SETH: Just give me two minutes. I ordered pancakes for you-- chocolate chip.

SUMMER: Fine, two minutes, but that is it.

SETH: Okay.

SUMMER: Hey, somebody wrote "prom" on my pancake. That is so weird.

SETH: Weird!

SUMMER: Oh, my God.

COHEN' HOUSE

RYAN: Yeah, it's tomorrow night, so it's kind of late notice, but, um... Or not, or not. You know what? It's-it's probably a bad idea.

THERESA: No, Ryan, it's just that... there's this guy that I work with, and we're not really dating or anything, but we've become close.

RYAN: Yeah, no, I understand. Uh, I should probably get ready for school.

KEVIN'S PLACE

MARISSA: So, what, you just... hate prom?

KEVIN: Pretty much.

MARISSA: Why? Did you have a bad prom experience? 'Cause, hey, you know, I've heard there's support groups for things like that, and really, I think you could recover.

COFFEE SHOP

SUMMER: I haven't spoken to you in four days. You think pancakes and chocolate chips are going to make me forget that you and Anna went behind my back?

SETH: We did not...

SUMMER: Or that I saw you guys at the airport, and your long, tearful good-bye?

COHEN' HOUSE

THERESA: You know...

RYAN: What?

THERESA: Did I ever tell you how much my mom loves baby-sitting?

KEVIN'S PLACE

KEVIN: I, uh... I never actually made it to prom. I, um... I didn't get that close to graduation.

MARISSA :Well, all the more reason to go now... 'cause you'll have me there to protect you. Okay?

KEVIN: All right.

COFFEE SHOP

SUMMER: Not only will I not go to prom with you, but if you and I were stranded on a deserted island, I would take the nourishment that your meager frame has to offer, and then I would feed your bones to the sharks.

ANNA'S ROOM

ANNA: So, did she like the pancake?

SETH: Yeah, she loved it, and then she said if we were stranded on a deserted island, she'd feed my bones to the sharks.

SETH: I think it's hopeless.

ANNA: Oh. Wait, she doesn't really think that we...

SETH: She saw us hugging in the airport.

ANNA: Oh, my God, this is all my fault.

SETH: No, it's not your fault.

ANNA: Yes, it is. If I hadn't been there, then you would have made up and you would be going to prom right now. You have to tell her the truth.

SETH: Yeah, I tried, but...

ANNA: No, no, no, not about us. You have to tell her that you lied about getting into Brown.

SETH: I don't think I can do that.

ANNA: But you have to, Seth. You have no other choice. You've done everything else.

SETH: Yeah, I know, but last time I lied, I had to write out this big confession of everything I'd ever done wrong, and my whole drug phase and that...

ANNA: You-you had a drug phase?

SETH: I smoked a couple of joints, but I promised I'd never lie again. I don't think she's going to forgive me.

ANNA: Seth, she wants to feed your bones to sharks. You have nothing to lose.

SETH: Listen, Anna, I appreciate your help, but, uh... I don't know. It's over. I give up. Anyways... I'm going to talk to you later.

ANNA: Man...

SANDY AND KIRSTEN' ROOM

KIRSTEN: You off?

SANDY: Uh, I should be home in time for dinner. Hey, isn't this prom weekend? Weren't you and Julie talking about having everybody over here for pictures?

KIRSTEN: We did... but Ryan doesn't have a date, and Seth and Summer seem to be in some kind of fight.

SANDY: Oh, that's too bad. It's senior prom. It's a milestone. Maybe we should try and convince them to go anyway.

KIRSTEN: Okay. When are we going to talk about us?

SANDY: In public again, or were you thinking about something a little more private this time?

KIRSTEN: I'm sorry I att*cked you, but at least I got you to listen.

SANDY: Well, I'm sorry I made it so difficult for you.

KIRSTEN: So what do we do?

SANDY: Well, we should give the boys the weekend. They're going to be gone in a few months. And then... you and I can figure out how best to proceed. I, uh... I'm going to go.

KIRSTEN: Sandy, there's something else. At the end of that dinner, I... I just wish I'd apologized then.

SANDY: Oh, that's okay. We'll be fine.

HARBOR

TAYLOR: Oh, Summer.

SUMMER: Hey, Taylor.

TAYLOR: Summer, wait. I have a big surprise for you. But first, business. Here are yours and Marissa's prom tickets, and I need $50 from each of you for the after-party. I rented out the Bait Shop. It is going to be such a rager.

SUMMER: You know what? I don't think I'm going to go.

TAYLOR: You were prom queen last year. You have to go.

SUMMER: Yeah, well, the queen is dead.

TAYLOR: I see. Well, perhaps you would like to hear who your date is.

SUMMER: What are you talking about?

TAYLOR: I got you a date.

SUMMER: Taylor!

TAYLOR: Quiet. You know how I'm going with Sung Ho?

SUMMER: The guy from the Korean barbecue?

TAYLOR: Oh, yeah, we, like, totally found each other at the sweatshirt party. He's got this wonderfully hairless body. It's like hooking up with a seal.

SUMMER: I have to go.

TAYLOR: So, it turns out his cousin Young Nam is visiting from Seoul. And his English is a little... but Sung Ho says he is huge on the K-pop scene.

SUMMER: What the hell is K-pop?

TAYLOR: Korean pop-- K-pop. Anyway, his band's called Big Korea, and he's a model, too. They actually based a couple of anime characters on him.

SUMMER: Taylor, I'm not going to go to prom with some Asian pop singer that barely speaks English.

TAYLOR: Summer.

SUMMER: Ow.

TAYLOR: Cohen deceived you. It is your duty as a woman to make him feel pathetic and small by going to prom with the hottest guy you can find.

SUMMER: That's a good point. Are you sure he's hot?

TAYLOR: Sung Ho said at his last concert, a g*ng of crazed school girls torched a cop car.

SUMMER: Big Korea.

____

RYAN: Hey. How you doing?

MARISSA: Hey. Good. Are those prom tickets?

RYAN: Yeah. I asked someone. Theresa, actually.

MARISSA: Oh, well, that's great.

RYAN: Yeah.

MARISSA: So, the baby...?

RYAN: Really cute, but not mine. Well, what about you? Are you... are you going? I can't remember whether you and Volchok are still together or...

MARISSA: Yeah, on both counts.

RYAN: Yeah?

MARISSA: He wasn't exactly enthusiastic, but he said yes.

RYAN: Oh, that's-that's, uh... that's great.

MARISSA: Yeah. Okay, I should be getting to class. Um, congratulations on the Theresa thing. See you.

RYAN: See you.

COHEN HOUSE

ANSWERING MACHINE: Hey, it's Summer. Leave a message.

SETH: Summer, hey. I just, I just want to apologize for what happened in the girls' bathroom today. I didn't mean to follow you in, or spook Mrs. Rushfield. I'm just trying to explain the idea of a romance between me and Anna so insane that...

ANNA: Hello, Seth.

SETH: I had to go.

KEVIN'S PLACE

KEVIN: Yeah, yeah. All right, all right, all right. Well, well, look who's here.

RYAN: I want to talk to you.

KEVIN: Hmm. Yeah, I'm not really in the mood to talk, but try me later.

RYAN: Ken, listen. I saw you on the pier last night.

KEVIN: Huh. Last night, last night... Yeah, I don't, I don't remember that far back.

RYAN: Maybe you remember the girl you were with? Long hair, tattoos, not much like Marissa?

KEVIN: You know, you are something else, man. But tell me this-- why would I cheat on Marissa? I mean... that girl's hot, right? In every way. But then you already knew that, didn't you? You want to see how far you can push me, keep at it. I already fell for that Lethal w*apon psycho bit once. It's not happening again.

MARISSA: Hey, Kevin. I think there's like a snake in the shower... What are you doing here?

KEVIN: Yeah, Ryan. What are you doing here?

RYAN: Uh... Uh, Kirsten called. She's having people over for photos tomorrow, and I just thought I'd invite you.

MARISSA: Oh, that's really sweet.

KEVIN: Yeah, so sweet.

MARISSA: Okay, ignore him. We'll be there.

COHEN' HOUSE

RYAN: Hello?

ANNA: Hey.

RYAN: Hi. Anna. Seth said you were in town.

ANNA: Hey, how are you?

RYAN: I'm good, and you look much more grown up. Yeah, well, don't we all? You staying with your parents?

ANNA: My aunt and my uncle. Last year, my parents switched houses. We're a quirky family.

ANNA: Are you going to prom?

RYAN: Yeah, actually. I'm going with Theresa.

SETH: Hey, there she is. Look at a true friend, Ryan. 2,000 miles she flies.

ANNA: In a middle seat.

SETH: All to make sure Summer and I go to the prom together. Now, tell me, would you do so much? Let's not test it.

ANNA: Well, guilt could be a powerful motivator.

SETH: I'd tell you again that it's not your fault, except I want to hear this plan.

ANNA: In phase one...

SETH: Uh! Hear that, Ryan? Phase one. That suggests multiple phases.

ANNA: In phase one, I am going to go over to Summer's right now, and tell her that there is nothing going on between us.

SETH: Okay. Out of curiosity, what you got for phase two?

ANNA: In the off-chance that phase one fails, phase two-- you take me to prom. I brought a dress. Yeah, I better get going. I'll call you. See you later.

RYAN: Bye-bye.

SETH: Bye.

SUMMER'S ROOM

MARISSA: I don't know, I kind of like it.

SUMMER: I'm going to k*ll Taylor.

MARISSA: Why? Come on. He's cute.

SUMMER: How can you tell? He's in a space suit.

MARISSA: So do you think Kevin will like this?

SUMMER: Yeah, if it rips off easy. This was supposed to make Seth jealous.

MARISSA: What's that?

SUMMER: Just Seth's napkin confession, detailing all his lies and deceptions, including his pathetic two-week stoner phase. You know what? I think it is time for Sandy and Kirsten to know their son a little better.

MARISSA: What? Summer, you can't do that.

SUMMER: Oh, I can. We had a deal. He told me that if he screwed up, I could show this to his parents. Revenge.

MARISSA: Don't you think that maybe he's telling the truth about him and Anna? I mean, do you really think that they would do that to you?

ANNA: Hi. I hope I'm not interrupting anything.

SUMMER: Oh, my God.

MARISSA: No. Hi, Anna. It's good to see you again.

ANNA: You, too.

MARISSA: I'm going to go... try this on.

SUMMER: I need you. What are you doing here?

ANNA: Summer, I wanted to talk to you. You have to believe me. There is nothing going on between me and Seth. You are still my Blanche, you know?

SUMMER: Nice try. I saw you guys hugging at the airport.

ANNA: That was... not what you think it was. We were celebrating.

SUMMER: Celebrating what?

ANNA: The future.

SUMMER: If I flew 2,000 miles, I'd probably come up with a better story.

ANNA: No, it's the truth. Seth...

SUMMER: Look. My date's going to be here soon. He's kind of a rock star. You may have heard of him, Big Korea. Yeah. Well, not surprised. Thanks for coming by.

ANNA: Summer... Look, Summer, I'm sorry that you don't believe me, but if you're already going with someone, would you mind if I went with Seth?

SUMMER: Why would I mind?

ANNA: Okay, then. I'll see you there.

SUMMER: See ya.

POOLHOUSE

RYAN: So, uh, how exactly does this plan go again?

SETH: Summer sees me with Anna at the dance, and confronted with the reality of a world without Seth Cohen, she comes to her senses.

RYAN: Uh-huh, because a world without you...

SETH: Is a world without sun. Ryan, it's a world without warmth. I don't get it, either, but I think we should trust Anna on this one. She has more knowledge of the female psyche than either you or I could hope for.

RYAN: That's so true.

ANNA: Aren't you guys ready yet? People are going to be here. What is it? What's wrong?

SETH: No. You look... I'm getting ready still.

COHEN' HOUSE

SANDY: Hello, welcome.

TAYLOR'S DATE: These are my parents.

SANDY: How are you? Nice to see you. Come on in.

SUMMER: You look beautiful.

THERESA: You, too.

SETH: That's Summer's date. Looks like the guy in Full Metal Alchemist.

SANDY: Kirsten, here are the Yangs, Elena and Tom.

RYAN: Hey. How are you?

MARISSA: Hey.

THERESA: Hi.

MARISSA: Oh, my God, you look beautiful.

THERESA: You too. It's good to see you.

RYAN: Glad you could make it.

TAYLOR: Ryan. I'm so glad that you and Seth found dates.

RYAN: Thank you.

TAYLOR: So I'm going to need 50 bucks from each of you for the after-party.

SANDY: Oh, I'll take care of that. There you go.

TAYLOR: Thank you, very much Mr. Cohen.

SANDY: You're welcome. Attention, everybody: The limos are waiting, so, ladies, please put your purses and your wraps and things on the bar, so we can all go out to the pool and take pictures. All right?

KEVIN: Yeah, yeah. Where's the bathroom?

RYAN: Uh... down the hall.

_____

JULIE: Okay, you guys, we all need one with all of the kids. Get together.

MARISSA: Oh, hey. Has anyone seen Kevin? I think he's still in the bathroom.

RYAN: All right, I'll get him.

_____
RYAN: The, uh, the parents want to take a photo of everyone. We're waiting on you.

KEVIN: Fine.

RYAN: Look.

KEVIN: What now? You going to tell me I can't drink?

RYAN: No, actually I don't have a problem with your drinking, but if you screw this up for Marissa, I'm going to kick your ass.

KEVIN: Okay.

PROM

SETH: Oh, my God. You know what this is?

ANNA: What?

SETH: This is the pirates' cave from Goonies. I've d*ed and gone to heaven.

SUMMER: Taylor, this is amazing.

MARISSA: Yeah, this is way better than any dance I ever designed.

TAYLOR: Oh, my God, Marissa, that means so much to me. You know, I've been saying that, but no one listens.

ANNA: Wow, Seth, you and I at prom together, who would have thought.

SETH: I know. I guess sometimes things just work out.

SUMMER: Laughing boy. Hi. Where's that flask you're always whipping out?

KEVIN: Oh, you want to spike the punch?

SUMMER: Read my mind.

KEVIN: All right. Follow me.

MARISSA: That's so unlike you.

SUMMER: Big Korea. Hi. Hi. Come on, go.

TAYLOR: Why don't I go put my purse down and then we can hit the dance floor?

TAYLOR'S DATE: All right.

TAYLOR: Okay.

SETH: You sure about this?

ANNA: Yes, Seth, you're just going to have to trust me. Come on, let's go take a picture with Captain Hook.

SETH: All right.

ANNA: Come on.

TAYLOR: Oh, hi, Lisa.

LISA: Hi.

TAYLOR: I'm so glad you made it back for prom.

LISA: I wouldn't have missed it for anything. Or... I thought you did great on Idol.

TAYLOR: Oh, by the way, do you know where Simon gets those skintight V-necks? I totally want to get one for Sung Ho.

MARISSA: Have I thanked you yet for coming?

KEVIN: Mm, about 40 times.

MARISSA: Is something wrong?

KEVIN: Your little friend walked off with my flask.

MARISSA: Yeah, well, I'm sure she'll bring it back.

KEVIN: All right, well, I'm going to go smoke some kush. Want to come?

MARISSA: You know, I actually kind of want to enjoy prom, but come find me when you get back.

GIRL: Did I hear something about smoking certain substances? 'Cause I know someplace private.

KEVIN: Lead the way.

COHEN HOUSE

SANDY: Maybe I'm being sentimental, but watching the kids head off to the senior prom, I can't help but think, where did the time go.

NEIL: I remember the first day that Summer went off to kindergarten. She changed her outfit three times, and she came home from school crying because another girl was wearing the same top. The other girl was Marissa.

JULIE: Of course.

KIRSTEN: And wasn't it kindergarten that Seth would only answer to Boba Fett?

SANDY: Gosh, Boba Fett. That was fourth grade.

KIRSTEN: No, it was fifth grade.

JULIE: Gosh, you know, I just can't believe that I was only a year older than Marissa is now when I married Jimmy. It's amazing the surprises life brings you.

NEIL: Some good, I hope.

JULIE: Very good.

KIRSTEN: I'd like to propose a toast to the two of you. I'm sorry Sandy and I haven't thrown you an engagement party, but we couldn't be more pleased.

SANDY: Thank you.

KIRSTEN: Cheers.

JULIE: Cheers.

NEIL: Cheers. Wouldn't you know? I'm sorry. I have to take this; it's a colleague. I'll be right back.

JULIE: Such a busy man.

NEIL: Yes.

JULIE: Well, I just hope Neil and I are as happy as you and Sandy.

NEIL: No, actually, I'm having dinner at his home right now. What's up? Can I tell him? Right. Okay.

PROM

SETH: All right, I feel good about that.

ANNA: All right.

SETH: Why don't we go dance?

ANNA: Thank you. Like dancing...

SETH: I'm just going to go talk to her.

ANNA: No, Seth, you can't.

SETH: Well, look at her-- she looks miserable. Let alone... kind of plastered.

ANNA: Well, that's the point. At least the miserable part.

SETH: I don't think I can do this.

ANNA: Seth, the plan is working. I mean, it was easy for her to doubt you when you're all begging to get back together with her. But now that she might have really lost you, she's thinking, maybe I should have really believed him.

SETH: Really? 'Cause it looks to me like she's describing how she'd use my body for food then feed my bones to the sharks.

TAYLOR: Excuse me, can I have your attention, please? Hi. I would like to welcome you all to the Pirate's Ball. Thank you. Okay, now, uh, before I announce your pirate king and queen, I would just like to take this moment to... say that it's been an honor to be your social chair this year...

BOY: Just open the envelopes!

TAYLOR: Well, excuse me if I have slaved away all year just so you could have a good time.BOY: Boring.

TAYLOR: Fine. Oh, um, just so you know, I thought it was only fair to take myself out of the running so no calling for a recount. Okay, uh... Your 2006 queen is... Oh, my God, two years in a row, Summer Roberts.

SETH: Oh, my God.

MARISSA: Go, Summ!

SUMMER: Oh, my God. I don't think you're boring. I love you. Thank you so much. Thank you so much. I like you guys, thank you so much. You guys... What's going on? Oh, tiara. Oh, tiara. Okay, thanks. Um, yeah, so thank you so much because being your queen is just... Is it like a million degrees in here or what? Woo, it's hot.

TAYLOR: You know what? Perhaps we should find out who your king is.

SUMMER: Screw that. You know what? Actually, let me, um... introduce you to my date. Hold this. He's right here. This is my date. He is the number one pop star in Korea.

GIRLS: Bang bang.

SUMMER: Anyway, I promised him that if I won that I would give him a big fat kiss.

SETH: This is not part of the plan.

ANNA: She's just fighting it. This is good.

SUMMER: How do you like that, Cohen?

TAYLOR: Man overboard! Man overboard!

MARISSA: Oh, my God. Are you okay?

SUMMER: What idiot made that stage so short?

SETH: Summer, are you okay?

SUMMER: Back off.

MARISSA: Whoa, um.

SUMMER: Just, everyone leave me alone.

SETH: She probably just needs a moist washcloth or maybe like a towelette.

ANNA: Cohen.

SETH: What? What? Is there a "no towelette" clause in your plan? Because right now I'm thinking phase two kind of sucks. Does anyone have a towelette? Does anyone have a towelette? We must find a towelette!

RYAN: Is she all right?

MARISSA: Yeah, I think maybe it's time to go to the after-party, though.

RYAN: That's a good idea.

MARISSA: Hey, I couldn't find Kevin. He just disappeared.

RYAN: Okay, I'll find him.

MARISSA: Oh, right, I better go...

RYAN: Who is it?

THERESA: Um, this is the guy, I... I told him I was coming here tonight and I should probably take this.

RYAN: I'm sorry, I know, it's gotten a little crazy.

THERESA: Yeah. A little crazy.

RYAN: Little bit.

THERESA: But there's no place that I would rather be. And that's what I'm going to tell him. I'll see you in a minute.

MARISSA: Ryan?

RYAN: Hey, what are you doing?

MARISSA: So Sung Ho and his cousin got Summ in the limo, but have you found Kevin?

RYAN: No, no, let's look inside.

MARISSA: Oh, he might have come out here to smoke.

RYAN: No, he didn't, I checked.

MARISSA: You checked?

MARISSA: Why are you being weird? Are you sure he's not out here? Oh, my God.

KEVIN: Get out of here.

GIRL: What?

KEVIN: Get out of here.

GIRL: Jerk.

KEVIN: Is that it? Can I go now?

MARISSA: Why?

KEVIN: What did you expect, huh? Did you think you were just going to dress up your bad boy, take him to your little rich kid's party, so your friends can see how cool you are?

MARISSA: You know it's not like that.

KEVIN: Oh, please. You just wanted to turn me into little bitch boy like him.

MARISSA: You're nothing like him. Clearly, I was wrong about you.

KEVIN: Finally, you're learning.

COHEN HOUSE

JULIE: Honestly, Kirsten, I'm so glad you guys are doing better. You really scared me last week.

KIRSTEN: I even scared myself. Julie... last week at dinner, I had a drink.

JULIE: What?! Oh, my God.

KIRSTEN: Now, it was the first in 11 months, it was only one glass, I've been going to AA meetings every day, but it happened.

JULIE: Have you talked to Sandy about this?

KIRSTEN: No. I tried, even before when I could feel it coming, but...

JULIE: Kirsten, you have to tell him.

KIRSTEN: That the stress of our marriage has triggered my drinking?

JULIE: Yes, that's exactly what you say.

KIRSTEN: I am not gonna use my alcoholism as blackmail to save our marriage. If he can't value it for what it is, then what is the point?

JULIE: Well, what are you gonna do?

KIRSTEN: I don't know. The way things are between Sandy and I right now, I just feel like one push could send us over the edge.

BAITSHOP

TAYLOR: Hello? Trash cans exist for a reason. Oh... Excuse me. Hi. I have a security deposit on this place, and I'd like it back.

RYAN: Hey, so, the guy at the door is gonna let me know if Volchek tries to get in. How you doing?

MARISSA: I'm okay. You know, I think I'm just gonna go home, though.

THERESA: Marissa, this is your prom.

MARISSA: Yeah, it was prom before my boyfriend hooked up with another girl. Um... okay, I'm gonna go get a drink.

_____

SETH: Summer, it's us. How you feeling?

SUMMER: Go away, let me die alone.

ANNA: I think it's time for phase three.

SETH: There's a phase three? Why didn't you mention that before?

ANNA: Duh, there's always been a phase three. The other two were just to make you realize that you don't have a choice. You have to tell her the truth, about everything.

SUMMER: Who is she talking about? I bet you think it's really smart because she's the smart girl.

ANNA: I'm gonna go. I fly back tomorrow, but I'll see you both in Providence. Summer, feel better. And remember Seth loves you.

SETH: Anna, thank you.

ANNA: Bye.

SUMMER: You know what? I don't think she's that smart. I think that she's dumb. She's got a dumb name and dumb hair.

SETH: Listen, I don't expect you to respond or even remember this, but the truth is, I actually didn't get in to Brown.

SUMMER: What?! Too fast.

SETH: I knew you weren't gonna go if I didn't go, and I didn't want you to do that, and I didn't want you to miss the opportunity, so I broke up with you.

SUMMER: That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

SETH: Yeah, well, then I realized I couldn't be without you, so I flew there to try and talk my way in.

SUMMER: Okay, now that is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. But it's very romantic. Did it work?

SETH: No, it didn't. But Anna got me an interview at RISD, and they read my comic book, and they really liked it, so...

SUMMER: So that's why you were hugging her at the airport? Oh, my God.

SETH: Listen, I know I promised I'd never lie again when I gave you that letter.

SUMMER: Oh, my God, the letter.

SETH: What?

SUMMER: Cohen, I have a confession.

SETH: Oh, wow. Wow, that's impressive.

SUMMER: I love you.

SETH: I love you, too. We can kiss later. All right, want me to hold your crown?

SUMMER: No!

SETH: All right. Hey... rigatoni-- nice.

COHEN HOUSE

SANDY: What's going on?

NEIL: Listen, that call I got was a friend of mine on the hospital board, and, um, there are rumors floating around about certain improprieties concerning Griffin and you. Monday morning the board is gonna suspend Griffin, and they're gonna call for a criminal investigation into the both of you.

JULIE: Neil, it's getting late-- I think we should be going.

NEIL: Yeah, right. Kirsten, thanks for a lovely evening.

KIRSTEN: Oh, my pleasure.

JULIE: Well, we'll walk you out.

KIRSTEN: Is everything okay?

SANDY: Yeah.

BAITSHOP

RYAN: Well, she's not here-- she must've gone home.

THERESA: She'll be okay. You know, you probably don't see it, but she's changed. She's gotten stronger. So have you.

RYAN: Yeah? Think so?

THERESA: The Ryan I knew would've gotten in a fight with that guy back at the prom. I know part of you still wants to, but you didn't. And that's what matters.

RYAN: So, you like the new me.

THERESA: Well... he's still not much of a dancer, but...

RYAN: What?! You're right, I'm not.

THERESA: You know, nothing between us could ever be casual-- there's too much history.

RYAN: Yeah, I know. I just don't think that anything should happen tonight.

THERESA: Absolutely not. Absolutely...

RYAN: Okay, good.

TAYLOR: Oh, my God, oh, my God, oh, my God!

RYAN: Taylor, what happened?

TYLOR: Oh, my God. The money is gone! I had the money in my purse. I had $5,000 in my purse. It's gone. I brought it down at prom-- someone must've taken it.

RYAN: We should call the police. You know what, don't bother, don't bother. I know where it is.

TAYLOR: What do you mean, you know? I think I'm gonna hyperventilate.

THERESA: Is everything okay?

RYAN: Yeah, it will be.

KEVIN'S PLACE

KEVIN: What do you want?

RYAN: You decide how this is gonna go.

KEVIN: Prom, huh? Hell of a night. You probably think I'm an idiot, huh? Screw things up with Marissa, steal money when everyone's gonna know I took it.

RYAN: I don't think about you. But yes, you're an idiot.

KEVIN: Maybe it wasn't gonna work out with Marissa. And at least now...you and I can settle this.

RYAN: I'm not here to fight you.

KEVIN: Sure you are. Otherwise, you'd have called the police. Come on. You know you're dying to. Just give in.

RYAN: All right, all right, all right, I get it-- it's about the money.

KEVIN: But tell me this. A week from now, if I wanted to, I could have her on her back on that mattress. Now, how does that make you feel?