03x24 - The Man of the Year

All episode transcripts for the TV show "The O.C.". Aired August 2003 - April 2007.*
Watch/Buy Amazon

A troubled youth becomes embroiled in the lives of a close-knit group of people in the wealthy, upper-class neighborhood of Newport Beach, Orange County, California.

03x24 - The Man of the Year

Post by bunniefuu »

HOSPITAL

RYAN: Can we get some help over here?!

MALE NURSE: He get hit with a baseball bat or something?

RYAN: No, no.

MALE NURSE: How long's he been unconscious?

RYAN: I got him here as soon as I could.

MALE NURSE: Do you know them? The guys who did this, do you know who they are?

KEVIN: Got jumped. Didn't see them. Look, I'm okay.

MALE NURSE: Come on, buddy. Glad you're alive, but we still got to check you out. Police will have some questions for you, too.

RYAN: Yeah, okay.

KEVIN: Meet me at my place tomorrow. This ain't over.

MALE NURSE: Where's your friend?

KEVIN: He's not my friend.

GENERIC

MARISSA'S ROOM

MARISSA: Kait... Kaitlin?

KAITLIN: Hey, sis.

MARISSA: Hey. You just calling to say hi?

KAITLIN: Totally. So how's your life? How's Ryan? What'd you do last night? Give me all the deets.

MARISSA: Well, Ryan and I broke up and my prom date got with another girl.

KAITLIN: Ah, really? That's great. Listen, I'm actually calling you to ask you a favor.

MARISSA: What, your friend Megan needs another abortion?

KAITLIN: I wish. But, um, actually, my school sent Mom a letter and I kind of need you to get it for me.

MARISSA: And by "get," do you mean keep it from her?

KAITLIN: Look, I'm totally all over this situation. I just need a little bit more time.

MARISSA: Oh, Kaitlin...

KAITLIN: Look, Marissa, I'm begging you. If you have one sisterly bone in your body, you will do this for me. Please?

MARISSA: Fine, I'll see if it's there, but you have to promise to tell me why.

KAITLIN: Oh, thank you. I love you.

MARISSA: Okay, I love you... too.

POOLHOUSE

RYAN: Hi.

THERESA: Hi, what are you doing?

RYAN: Nothing much. How 'bout you?

THERESA: Just got off the phone with the guy.

RYAN: Oh. The, uh... work guy. How'd that go?

THERESA: Oh, not well. It's kind of hard for a 28-year-old to understand prom.

RYAN: I get that. You don't regret going, do you?

THERESA: No, not at all. I had fun. And after you left, things got pretty interesting in the limo with Taylor and the dates... and I don't know what the Korean word for "threesome" is, but I'm pretty sure it was used. Ryan?

RYAN: Yep.

THERESA: That thing that you had to take care of last night...

RYAN: It's taken care of.

THERESA: Okay. Do you want to hang out today?

RYAN: I have to do something this afternoon. I'm not sure how long it's gonna take.

THERESA: Well, how about later for dinner? I could bring over takeout.

RYAN: Yeah, that sounds good.

THERESA: Okay.

RYAN: Yeah, okay.

SETH: Hey, man. Today's a good day for me, Ryan. I finally came clean, told the truth about not getting into Brown and things are great. Life is so much better when you're honest. You just mean what you say, you say what you mean. I feel like you.

RYAN: Well, now that you're on a roll, you gonna tell Sandy and Kirsten about Brown, too?

SETH: Yeah, I don't think so. I'm going to wait a little bit on that one. I think it'll go down a bit easier with an acceptance letter to RISD in my hand.

RYAN: And what if they find out first?

SETH: They won't. Things are finally going good between Summer and I. Can't this family have one weekend without a major crisis?

SUMMER'S ROOM

MARISSA: Hey, Summ. How are you?

SUMMER: I wish I could pluck out my eyeballs with a fork and rinse them in a tall glass of ice water.

MARISSA: Yeah, that's a hangover. You were pretty wasted last night.

SUMMER: I was, wasn't I? I don't even remember getting home. I woke up this morning and my ears were ringing and I realized it was your phone.

MARISSA: Yeah, Kaitlin was calling 'cause there's this letter from her school that she wants me to grab.

SUMMER: Oh, my God. Oh, my God, the letter.

MARISSA: What? How do you know what it is?

SUMMER: No, no, Cohen's confession. I left it in an envelope on Sandy's desk.

MARISSA: Oh, so call Seth. Tell him to grab it.

SUMMER: I can't. Things are finally normal again between us. Oh, my gosh, once he realizes what I did. I gotta go. Oh, my God, nausea tsunami.

COHEN HOUSE

SANDY: Well, it's a little unexpected. I mean, this hospital project has been, uh... it's been complicated. Oh, well... I'm glad to hear it. I look forward to tomorrow night. Thank you. You're not going to believe this. I am Riviera magazine's Man of the Year. Try not to faint.

KIRSTEN: I'm sorry, it's just given everything that's happened...

SANDY: They're calling the hospital phase one of Orange County's renaissance, thinking it could be a model for responsible development for the entire country.

KIRSTEN: Responsible development? Sandy, the only thing it's responsible for is a lot of sleepless nights and Matt Ramsey's black eye. You know my father was Man of the Year.

SANDY: The irony is not lost on me, believe me. But, hey, this could mean that maybe the dark days are over, that something good is coming from all this.

KIRSTEN: I'd like to think so. But I honestly doubt it.

SANDY: Well, I wasn't expecting your blessing. But until we have proof to the contrary, let's try to be optimistic.

RYAN: Hey.

KIRSTEN: Why don't you say good morning to Newport's Man of the Year?

SETH: I knew it was only a matter of time before this town recognized my contribution to the community.

RYAN: Have to be a man first. Congratulations, Sandy.

SANDY: Thank you. Big party tomorrow night. Everybody's got to dress up and represent.

KIRSTEN: And just think, I couldn't get you to wear a tie at cotillion.

SANDY: College letters, senior prom... this family's on a streak. Let's try to enjoy it.

RYAN: I gotta go.

SANDY: Me, too.

SETH: You excited?

KIRSTEN: It'll be good for your father's career.

_____

SUMMER: Oh, my God, Mr. C, you totally scared me.

SANDY: Sometimes I scare myself, Summer. Seth's in the kitchen.

SUMMER: I'll just go right in.

SANDY: All right.

SETH: What are you doing?

SUMMER: Nothing. Looking for stamps.

SETH: Are you mailing a letter?

SUMMER: Not without stamps. Let's go make out upstairs.

COFFEE SHOP

MARISSA: Hey, is everything okay? You sounded weird on the phone.

RYAN: You can give that to Taylor.

MARISSA: What, her after-party money?

RYAN: Yeah, it was stolen at the prom.

MARISSA: Kevin... I can't believe he stole that. I should go over there and kick his...

RYAN: No, no, no, no. We got the money, so forget it. Uh, just, uh, I don't really want to talk about it. But if you could just give that to Taylor, no questions ask, that'd be good.

MARISSA: Yeah. You can count on me. I need to focus on other stuff anyway. I was gonna take a road trip this weekend. So, maybe I should just go home and pack.

RYAN: Can I buy you breakfast?

MARISSA: Sure.

SETH'S ROOM

SUMMER: Where is your dad going this morning?

SETH: You thinking about my dad?

SUMMER: He had his briefcase with him. Does he usually keep important papers in there?

SETH: Whoa, you turned me on.

SUMMER: I'm sorry. Cohen, there's something I need to tell you.

SETH: You're using me to get to my father?

SUMMER: Serious.

SETH: So is this. We just got back together. The window for a makeup hookup is rapidly closing unless you want to break up again.

SUMMER: No, definitely not.

SETH: Okay, so what do you have to tell me?

SUMMER: I want to be on top this time.

SETH: You are always on top.

ROBERTS HOUSE

JULIE: Of course, we'll be there. Hey, it's something to celebrate. Okay, bye, Kiks. Huh.

NEIL: Hey, good news?

JULIE: Yes. Sandy Cohen has just been named Newport's Man of the Year. There's a party for him tomorrow night at the yacht club.

NEIL: Well, that ought to be interesting.

JULIE: What do you mean?

NEIL: Sandy's being investigated by the DA. They're filing charges against Henry Griffin. And Sandy's been working very closely with him.

JULIE: Oh, wow. I mean, Sandy is obviously very involved with the hospital, but I can't imagine him doing anything unethical. He can be self-righteous, pompous and annoying, but... Sandy is very moral.

NEIL: Well, we'll find out. I'm sitting down with the district attorney tomorrow.

JULIE: So we have to warn Sandy.

NEIL: I already did.

JULIE: Then why doesn't Kirsten know?

KEVIN'S PLACE

RYAN: How you doing?

KEVIN: Seven stitches, couple of broken ribs... I'll live.

RYAN: I'm glad. I didn't mean to, uh... Well, not that bad anyway.

KEVIN: It's not like I didn't ask for it.

RYAN: So the money is returned, you got your stitches and... we're good, right?

KEVIN: Not quite. I need some help. I'm supposed to have picked something up from this guy.

RYAN: No, no, no, no...

KEVIN: Just be my lookout, drive and wait in the car.

RYAN: Whatever you're into, dr*gs, g*ns...

KEVIN: It's none of your business.

RYAN: I know, and I don't want it to be.

KEVIN: Right, 'cause you got the good life now. Graduation... college... You know all that change when you're charged with as*ault.

RYAN: You tell the cops about me, and I'll tell them about the money.

KEVIN: Money? What money ? I-I don't see any money.

RYAN: Nobody's gonna believe you?

KEVIN: I don't care if they do, 'cause I've got nothing to lose. And you've got everything. That's why you're a little bitch. And that's why you'll help me out tomorrow night.

RYAN: No, no, I can't tomorrow night. Sandy's Man of the Year's big party.

KEVIN: And I guess they'll be cuffing you in your suit.

KAITLIN'S MANSION

HADLEY: Daddy, you can't do this to yourself every time you get the ratings. It's my dad. You know The Valley? That's a show. What do you expect when you b*at the same love triangle to the ground for three years? Who are you?

MARISSA: Oh, uh... Marissa. Kaitlin's sister.

HADLEY: Hey, bitch, your sister is here. Nice to meet you. I'm Hadley. Dad, I thought I told you to stay off the message boards.

KAITLIN: Marissa, what are you doing here?

MARISSA: Waiting for you to explain this.

ROBERTS HOUSE

JULIE: Thanks for coming by, Kiks. I didn't want to talk to you about this on the phone.

KIRSTEN: No, of course, no problem. What's going on?

JULIE: Um, sit down. Uh, it's Sandy. He's being investigated by the DA.

KIRSTEN: Let me guess: the hospital.

JULIE: Yeah. Neil is meeting with the DA tomorrow. It seems serious. I'm so sorry, Kirsten. I just thought you should know.

KIRSTEN: No, of course. Especially with Sandy being Man of the Year. It'll be in all the papers.

JULIE: And speaking of someone who's had to manage more than her share of scandal, you need to contain this ASAP.

KIRSTEN: Julie, I appreciate the heads-up. Sandy's going to take this really hard.

JULIE: Sandy knows. Neil told him at dinner last night.

POOLHOUSE

RYAN: So your mom has the baby?

THERESA: Mm. The nanny. What, when we were growing up stealing all those empties to buy Sour Patch Kids, you didn't imagine me as the kind of girl hat would have a nanny?

RYAN: Uh, you've come a long way, is all.

THERESA: So have you. You're graduating on Monday and Berkeley in the fall. So last night after you left me with Taylor...

RYAN: Just don't, okay?

THERESA: Look, Ryan, there's only one thing that could have done that to your hand, and that's another guy's face. That kid stole the money, and you went to fight him. Go ahead. Answer it.

RYAN: Hi. No, no, no, I cannot right now, okay? Well, give me a couple of hours at least.

THERESA: You should have told them you'd be right there.

RYAN: Teresa, Teresa! Look, there's things that I... that I can't tell the Cohens or Seth because they wouldn't understand it, but you...

THERESA: My life has totally changed since we were kids.

RYAN: So has mine.

THERESA: No, Ryan, there are guys out there that don't get in fights, not ever, not any.

RYAN: Like the guy at work?

THERESA: Look, I have a child to think about now, okay? And I cannot be with someone like my brother or yours.

RYAN: Well, I'm not like him.

THERESA: Maybe on your good days, you're not, but right now, my life isn't built for the bad ones. I will always love you, Ryan. Keep safe.

NEWPORT GROUP

KIRSTEN: You walked into the kitchen the morning and asked me to be optimistic.

SANDY: Well, they can't have much of a case, not against Griffin and certainly not against me. I'm hoping the whole thing will go away, and maybe the Man of the Year thing will help that.

KIRSTEN: Well, it's not. Neil Roberts is meeting with the district attorney tomorrow.

SAND: Well, I'll talk to Greg Otis; he'll tell me what's going on. Honey, I promise you I'll do everything in my power not to let this land on the family.

KIRSTEN: It already has.

KAITLIN'S MANSION

KAITLIN: His name is Trevor Knightly, and he's the captain of the lacrosse team.

HADLEY: Yeah, those girls are like his groupies. Lacrosse-stitutes.

KAITLIN: He's a total perv, and really into Adderall.

MARISSA: So what's he got against you? Or should I even ask?

KAITLIN: He gave me a personal invitation to a lipstick party, and I declined.

HADLEY: Obvie. Lipstick parties are for pervs and skanks. So heinous. Lipstick parties and Adderall.

MARISSA: I'm sensing a generation gap.

KAITLIN: So the next morning, he was all telling the headmistress that he saw me taking the crest above her office.

MARISSA: Well, it sounds like it's his word against yours.

HADLEY: Oh, obvie, but he totally hides his evilness. Straight A's, varsity athlete. And Kaitlin's, well...

KAITLIN: Not exactly the perfect student.

MARISSA: You don't say.

KAITLIN: Look, Marissa, this will be my third strike, and I really don't feel like getting kicked out. I mean, I know it may not be as bad as sh**ting somebody, but I'm pretty sure Mom would freak out. And by the way, I really don't feel like getting locked up during summer.

HADLEY: Obvie. I get so horny in the summertime.

KAITLIN: Oh, honey, you're always horny.

HADLEY: Shut up.

KAITLIN: You shut up.

MARISSA: Okay, both of you shut up. So what's the deal with this crest thing?

KAITLIN: I'm pretty sure it's in his room, but there's no way that he or any of his army of probably-gay and totally-in-love-with-him homeboys would let me in there.

MARISSA: Well, I'm not usually one to come up with a plan, but do you have one of those skirts?

KEVIN'S PLACE

RYAN: Hi.

KEVIN: Hey. Here's Ryan. He's helping me.

MAN: I'll leave the garage door unlocked when I finish work. It'll be inside.

KEVIN: Thank you.

MAN: Good luck, man.

KEVIN: All right, man. This is the address. You'll need it for the pickup.

RYAN: This is my neighborhood.

KEVIN: That's why you're driving.

COHEN HOUSE

SETH: Mom, I'm going to go get something to eat with Summer. Are you decent? If I come in, am I inviting years of therapy? Sorry. Mom?

SUMMER: There you are, you... Ooh. Sorry. Cohen, is your mom sick or something?

SETH: Yeah, she is. I'm going to have to stay and take care of her.

SUMMER: Okay, well, then why don't I just go pick us up food, and I'll bring it back. Do you think your mom needs anything?

SETH: Just peace and quiet. We're gonna have to rain-check dinner.

SUMMER: Cohen, you're acting really weird.

SETH: I feel weird, you know? Maybe whatever my mom has is contagious, and I'd hate for you to catch it and feel weird, too. You know?

SUMMER: Well, okay.

KAITLIN'S MANSION

MARISSA: Hi. Are you Trevor?

TREVOR: Yeah.

MARISSA: I'm Marissa, the new foreign exchange student. I just got here from London.

TREVOR: I love... London.

MARISSA: Well, I was hoping you could give me a tour. Starting with your dorm room?

TREVOR: Ooh, sounds good. But I did my junior year abroad at Oxford. I don't buy that phony English accent for a second.

MARISSA: Okay, fine, I'm a stripper. Your friends hired me for your birthday.

TREVOR: My birthday's not for six months.

MARISSA: Do you want to see me take my clothes off or not?
COHEN HOUSE

SETH: Hey. Can I talk to you for a second?

KIRSTEN: Sure. Oh, you mean right now.

SETH: Yeah. Well, you know, just kinda...

KIRSTEN: Well, can it wait till after? Because I'm on my way to a meeting with my group.

SETH: Yeah, how is that going?

KIRSTEN: Well, you know what they say. One day at a time. That's why I have meetings.

RESTAURANT

SANDY: Greg Otis, my favorite DA. Now, this is a cozy spot. The lighting's a lot more flattering than an interrogation room.

GREG: No one's being interrogated. Dr. Roberts and I are just going to talk. It's good to see you.

SANDY: Good to see you.

GREG: The courtroom misses Sandy Cohen.

SANDY: Oh, not as much as he misses the courtroom, believe me. We've known each other a long time, Otis. What am I dealing with here?

GREG: The case against Griffin's not strong. Everyone's got stories, but there's not a lot of hard evidence.

SANDY: Well, where do I fit in the picture?

GREG: You're in bed with him on that hospital. Until I have proof otherwise, his improprieties are yours, too.

SANDY: Well, what if you had receipts, e-mails? An eyewitness?

GREG: That would help a lot.

SANDY: In exchange for my cooperation, could you let The Newport Group finish the hospital?

GREG: Griffin goes down, so does the hospital. No way around that.

SANDY: So I could keep my mouth shut and hope you lose.

GREG: Or you can help bury that crook, say good-bye to the hospital. Dr. Roberts.

SANDY: Thanks for your time, Otis. I'm gonna leave you two to your discussion. Good to see you, Neil.

NEIL: Sandy.

CAR

KEVIN: That's the house. Now I just gotta wait for him to leave.

RYAN: You said we were picking something up.

KEVIN: Yeah, well. He doesn't exactly know it.

WOMAN: Ryan, is that you?

RYAN: Hey.

WOMAN: Well, I was just coming back from my tennis lesson and I thought, isn't that the Cohens' car?

RYAN: It is.

WOMAN: Well, save me a dance at Sandy's party tonight.

RYAN: Will do.

WOMAN: And, uh... bring your friend. He's hot. A neighbor?

KEVIN: Ah, told you this was a good plan.

KAITLIN'S MANSION

TREVOR: This isn't my dorm room.

MARISSA: Yeah, well, you don't want people to walk in on us, do you? So, take off your pants.

TREVOR: I thought you were going to strip for me.

MARISSA: Haven't you ever been to Vegas? In your boxers, or I'll have to give those guys their money back.

TREVOR: That would be a waste. Do they do this in Vegas, too?

MARISSA: They do everything in Vegas. Okay. Now, I just have to go change.

TREVOR: But you're wearing a costume. Hey! Come back here!

KAITLIN: Did you get 'em?

MARISSA: Yeah.

KAITLIN: All right.

MARISSA: We gotta go.

COHEN HOUSE

SANDY: Hey.

SUMMER: Hi, Mr. Cohen. Is Seth around?

SANDY: No. I don't think so. Is it okay if I just, um, wait here for him?

SANDY: Sure. Make yourself at home.

SUMMER: Do you mind if I-I wait here with you?

SANDY: I'm... I'm working, but, uh... suit yourself.

SUMMER: So, uh, how's Mrs. Cohen? She feeling any better?

SANDY: I didn't know she was sick.

SUMMER: Huh. Must have been like a 24-hour thing.

SANDY: So what's this?

SUMMER: That is a card for Seth congratulating him on having a dad who was Man of the Year.

SANDY: Even though it's addressed to Kirsten and me?

SUMMER: Okay, that is actually like a really big mistake, and I would do anything to take it back.

SANDY: "The most recent and troubling lies include..." Oh, Summer.

SUMMER: Seth gave it to me on Valentine's Day when we got in a fight, and he said that if he ever screwed up again, that I should give it to you. Only he didn't screw up again. I did.

SANDY: This is serious.

SUMMER: I did it out of spite. He told me that he wasn't going to Brown and then I saw him there with Anna.

SANDY: He said he wasn't going to Brown?

SUMMER: Well, yeah, because he didn't get in but that was before RISD.

SANDY: What do you mean, he didn't get in?

SUMMER: I thought he only lied about that to me.

A.A.

KIRSTEN: The only thing worse than relapsing... is that my husband doesn't know. He's involved in this business deal and... it's gotten very ugly and, uh... Well, he might even be arrested. And I'm not blaming anyone. I'm the only one with the power to drink or not drink. I just... really need the man I married right now.

COHEN HOUSE

SANDY: I want to talk to you.

SETH: Good, I want to talk to you.

SANDY: I love you... and I'm worried about you.

SETH: Right back at you.

SANDY: You smoked pot in our home.

SETH: Would you rather I do it somewhere else, like my college dorm?

SANDY: That would require you getting into college.

SETH: Well, do you think it's such a great idea, me going away to college when Mom's been drinking again?

SANDY: What are you talking about?

SETH: Maybe if you paid attention to anything other than that stupid hospital, you'd notice Mom's been passing out before dinner.

SANDY: Don't talk to your father like that.

SETH: That would require you to act like my father.

CAR

KEVIN: That's our guy.

RYAN: All right, go ahead. I'll be waiting.

KEVIN: Come on. You're my cover. Besides, I can't go with my face like this. What? You're just taking a little walk out in your neighborhood.

GARAGE

KEVIN: All right, I'll just be a minute. You just wait right there.

RYAN: All right, let's go. Where is it?

KEVIN: You're looking at it.

RYAN: The car? You got to be kidding me.

KEVIN: 120Gs is no joke.

RYAN: No. No way, man. I'm not doing this.

KEVIN: Too late.

RYAN: Let's go! Let's go! Let's go!

KEVIN: They're supposed to be next to the keys, but I can't find them!

RYAN: There's a patrol car up the street!

KEVIN: I got this!

RYAN: They're coming! Let's go! What are you doing?!

KEVIN: Shut up!

RYAN: Let's go! Come on!

KEVIN: Get in! Don't be a little bitch.

KAITLIN'S MANSION

MARISSA: You guys better get that back to the headmistress' office before someone sees it here.

KAITLIN: Oh, yeah. We will. And thanks again. That was pretty cool.

HADLEY: Yeah. I mean, when we came and talked about you, I thought you'd be totally wasted and have all these problems.

MARISSA: Right. Well, I'm glad you guys aren't going to get in trouble. I actually kind of had fun.

KAITLIN: Wow. I suspected as much, but it's actually kind of nice to hear you say it out loud. I think we're having a moment?

HADLEY: Oh, my God! My phone just totally stepped on your moment. Um... I'll just... I'll take it outside. Hey, bitch! You never call me back. What's up?

KAITLIN: Yeah, I liked hanging out, too. It sucks you're going to go to college next year.

MARISSA: Um... We'll see about that.

KAITLIN: Oh. Well, whatever you decide, I will miss you. And I mean it this time.

MARISSA: Oh, me, too.

COHEN HOUSE

KIRSTEN: I'm sorry I'm late. I'll... I'll hurry.

SANDY: Hey, have a seat. So... Have you been drinking again? No explanation, no... no judgment. I just want to know. Oh, I wish you'd talk to me.

KIRSTEN: I tried.

SANDY: That night you called? I wish I had known.

KIRSTEN: Then you would have come? Because the only thing that would actually get you to talk to me was the thr*at of a relapse?

SANDY: I hope you know that's not true.

KIRSTEN: I don't know that. Oh, Sandy, I'm sorry. For everything. Especially the relapse. And, more importantly, for keeping it a secret.

SANDY: I'm sorry, too.

SETH'S ROOM

KIRSTEN: I know you know about my drinking.

SETH: And I assume you know about Brown? Sorry to rat you out to Dad. It was kind of a heat-of-the-moment thing.

KIRSTEN: I'm glad you did. I know things have been difficult, but we're still a family.

SETH: Yeah. We're a great family: Mom's drinking. Dad's about to go to jail. Giving the Outfit a run for their money.

KIRSTEN: I haven't given up on us, and neither has your father.

SETH: My God! Apologize for that guy. I don't even want to be in the same room as him.

KIRSTEN: I'm asking you to.

SETH: I attend his Man of the Year party? Don't you think that's a hypocritical way to start the Cohen family clean slate?

KIRSTEN: Will you do it for me?

SETH: Fine. But I want my own table, and my applause for his speech will be so tepid.

KIRSTEN: Thank you. Will you stop by the Newport Group? There's a concept drawing for the hospital that your father needs for his presentation. I'd ask Ryan, but he said he'd be late. I believe your father is going to fix this.

SETH: That makes one of us.

CAR

MARISSA: Ryan.

RYAN: Hi. Hey, where are you right now?

MARISSA: I'm driving back from Montecito. Are you okay?

RYAN: Yeah. Can you, uh... Can you meet me at your place?

MARISSA: Yeah. Sure. There's a key under the mat by the pool. Just let yourself in, and wait in my room. I'll be there as soon as I can.

RYAN: Thanks.

MARISSA: Hey, Ryan...

RYAN: I... It's okay. It's okay. Um... Thanks.

ROBERTS HOUSE

JULIE: Neil, why aren't you ready for the party? We should be leaving.

NEIL: I'm not going, darling. Julie, I spent the entire afternoon with the DA. Griffin's about to be arrested, and Sandy's future is far from certain.

JULIE: All the more reason to be there for him and Kirsten.

NEIL: It feels like a conflict of interest. I might have to testify against the man. I'm sorry. But I'm sure they'll understand.

JULIE: Well, I don't. The Cohens are like family, Neil.

NEIL: Maybe they're about to become the black sheep.

JULIE: Hmm. Well, I don't know about you, but I support the people I care about. I don't judge them. I'll call a cab.

NEWPORT GROUP

SETH: Hello.

KIRSTEN: Hey. I was wondering if you have an ETA. Your father's about to take the stage.

SETH: I'll be right there.

KIRSTEN: Did you get the drawing? Okay. I'll see you soon.

RESTAURANT

SANDY: Well, you're very sweet to say that, thank you.

KIRSTEN: Excuse me. Can I borrow my husband for a moment?

SANDY: Excuse me.

KIRSTEN: Isn't that Greg Otis?

SANDY: Oh, maybe he's here to arrest me. Wouldn't be the first time somebody left a Newport party in handcuffs. I'm going to go practice my speech anyway.

MARISSA'S ROOM

MARISSA: Hey, what's going on?

RYAN: I was with you tonight. If anyone asks, can you say that?

MARISSA: Ryan...

RYAN: Just yes or no? Will you do it?

MARISSA: Yeah, of course.

RESTAURANT

JULIE: You changed your mind?

NEIL: No, you changed it. You're a very passionate woman. Surprisingly principled.

JULIE: I'd like to think so.

NEIL: If you feel so strongly about family, how could I not want to be part of yours?

SANDY: Good evening, everyone. And thank you so much for coming out tonight, and thanks to Riviera Magazine for bestowing upon me this... this wonderful honor that I... I cannot accept. I used to think I was better than this place. You know, I came from outside the bubble, so I thought I was fit to judge it. So when it came time for me to run the Newport Group, I wasn't worried at all about losing my way. But I learned that despite the wide streets and the sunny views, you take one wrong turn in this town, and you can end up totally lost. Oh, thank you, Seth. Thanks, Kirsten. This drawing is as close to fully realized as Newport Mercy will ever be, because in the next few months, I'm going to be cooperating with the District Attorney's investigation of Dr. Henry Griffin and the hospital he and I were going to build.

SUMMER: I'm so sorry, Cohen.

SETH: No, it's okay. I think it's for the best.

SANDY: I'm truly flattered to be held in such high esteem by this community, but I'm going to step aside, because I'm going to pursue an order that is closer to my heart: Father and Husband of the Year. Thank you.

GREG: That was quite a speech.

SANDY: And you... are going to have quite a case. I'll be in touch.

KIRSTEN: You were wonderful.

SANDY: Thanks.

SETH: I thought it was wordy in the middle, but I think the end was nice.

SANDY: Yeah?

SANDY: Maybe I'm too late.

CAR

RYAN: They're here for me.

MARISSA: Well, it's a good thing you were with me all night then, right?

RESTAURANT

SANDY: Do not ask him any questions unless I'm present.

COP: Who are you, his lawyer?

SANDY: I'm his father.

RYAN: What happened?

SANDY: There's been a fire at the Newport Group. They think Seth did it.