04x04 - The Metamorphosis

All episode transcripts for the TV show "The O.C.". Aired August 2003 - April 2007.*
Watch/Buy Amazon

A troubled youth becomes embroiled in the lives of a close-knit group of people in the wealthy, upper-class neighborhood of Newport Beach, Orange County, California.

04x04 - The Metamorphosis

Post by bunniefuu »

Psy's office

Summer: Thanks for seeing me on such short notice.

Psy: I'm glad you came. What brings you in?

Summer: Well, I've changed a lot since I got to college. New friends, new interests, new clothes.

Psy: Well, that's perfectly normal.

Summer: I know. But... I think throwing myself into all these new things is just a way of avoiding dealing with what happened to my friend...who, um... who d*ed.

Psy: Well, grief often comes in five stages.

Summer: Yeah, but I haven't really been grieving. Why is this happening? Life is so unfair! I'd do anything to change things. Please, just name it, and I'll do it. Nothing matters anyway. But this is so not fair! I'm sorry, I have rage issues. I think she would want me to move on. So that's what I'm going to try to do.

Psy: I'm proud of you, Summer. You've made astounding progress, and all in one week.

Summer: It's kind of a relief in a way. Now I can go back to being me.

Psy: What do you mean by that?

Summer: Well, this whole save the planet thing, it was a crutch, right? And nothing against handicapped people, but crutches? Ew.

Psy: A lot of people do change when they go to college.

Summer: Well, not me. I love shopping, tanning and celebrity gossip, always have, always will. But I think I have to. If I ever want things to be good with my boyfriend again.

Psy: Summer, just promise you'll take it slow.

Summer: Totally.

At the airport

Ryan: Hey, man.

Seth: Hey, dude, I know, three hour time difference, but, Ryan, she's going to dump me.

Ryan: It's okay, I'm awake.

Seth: Oh, good. Ryan, she's going to dump me.

Ryan: No one believes that, all right? Summer loves you.

Seth: The old Summer loved me. But new Summer is upon us, and Providence is the place that spawned her.

Ryan: Summer is just dealing with what we're all dealing with, okay? She'll come around.

Seth: What if she doesn't? This is my last sh*t. Otherwise, the girl with the violent temper and good hygiene is nothing but a childhood memory.

Seth: Careful, lady, my girlfriend's going to be here any second.

Summer: Shut up, Cohen.

Seth: Hey, you just punched me. My baby's back.

Généric

At the beach

Sandy: You look good out there.

Ryan: Thanks.

Sandy: I got to get you on a surfboard.

Ryan: Not a chance.

Sandy: How about some breakfast? I could use some intel on Seth and Summer.

Ryan: You know what, I can't, but, uh, I think they're doing all right. You know? Doing the long distance thing.

Sandy: How about you? How are you doing?

Ryan: Good, good. Better, once I get my first day of work under my belt.

Sandy: Well, Pavo Guapo is lucky to have you working there.

Ryan: Me, too.

Sandy: Now I got an excuse to come by for your shrimp tacos.

Ryan: Yeah, Kirsten warned me about that. You're limited to two a week.

Sandy: Oh! I knew I should have divorced that dame.

Ryan: Well, it's not forever.

Sandy: You're still accepted to Berkeley for next year. I'm just glad you're getting back to your old self. You know? Back home again. New job.

Ryan: I'm just trying to stay busy and earn some extra money.

Sandy: And hook me up with some shrimp tacos.

Ryan: Yeah, right. I'll work on that. I'm going to walk back. I'm kind of sweaty.

Sandy: Yeah, I wasn't offering you a ride. Hey, Ryan? Hang in there.

Brown's college - Summer's bedroom

Seth: Wow, that was a lot better than what I was imagining on the plane.

Summer: You were imagining it on the plane?

Seth: Not like that. When you called me here, I was sure you were going to break up with me.

Summer: Well, I know I'm not the one that usually apologizes in this relationship, but I'm sorry about everything. I turned into a liberal zealot just to distract myself from my own grief. I'm not even into all this stuff.

Seth: So the old you is back?

Summer: In all of my artificially tanned glory.

Seth: Thank God 'Cause I was not sure that the new you and old me were really working.

Summer: Yeah, the new me kind of smelled weird. Well, what would you have done if I didn't go back to being me?

Seth: I had a plan to coax the old Summer out. The Valley, Season Three? Summer: Awesome!

At Cohen's

Kirsten: I checked on Ryan. Did he leave already?

Sandy: Yeah. He seemed to be doing okay. I was hoping to hang with him while Seth is away. Poker, maybe sh**t a little pool, but his new job is going to make that tough.

Kirsten: Well, I could rack a few balls with you.

Sandy: You are so smart and sexy and gorgeous. But sometimes a man just needs to hang with the guys.

Kirsten: Well, that I'm not.

Sandy: You know, Jimmy left, Caleb d*ed, then Jimmy left again. Even Neil's gone. Look, I wasn't a pennant winner, but at least I had a bullpen, you know?

Kirsten: It's baseball talk. I got it. Why don't you give Jason Spitz a call? You're always saying how funny he is. Why don't you ask him to do something?

Sandy: Yeah, yeah... I don't know. I mean, it's a little weird for a guy to ask another guy to do something right out of the blue like that.

Kirsten: Since when is Sandy Cohen afraid of acting weird?

Sandy: Well, Spitz is pretty funny. He's allegedly a scratch golfer. He likes the Dodgers. I could live with that.

Kirsten: It sounds perfect for you.

Sandy: Yeah, but what am I going to do? I'm going to give him a call or what? Ask him out?

Kirsten: Come on. Why don't you use some of that Sandy Cohen charm? I'm sure he won't be able to resist.

Sandy: It's been a long time since I been out there, honey. What if Spitzy doesn't like me?

Kirsten: Are you calling him Spitzy now?

Sandy: No, not yet. Do you think he'll go for it?

At Roberts'

Julie: Well, that's very generous of you. Thank you, Neil. Bye.

Kaitlin: So how's Seattle? Is that short, sassy lady still bossing Dr. Roberts around the hospital?

Julie: Neil is fine. He's going to let us stay in the house as long as we want.

Kaitlin: Well, nice work, Mom.

Julie: I wish I could take all the credit, but it was actually Neil's idea. He's really very sweet.

Kaitlin: Oh, you miss him. Well, don't worry. We'll find you another old dude to pay for all your stuff and cheat on you.

Julie: Is that what I'm teaching you?

Kaitlin: Mm, pretty much.

Julie: Well, no more. Now that we have our housing situation handled, I am officially giving up men. Good one.

Kaitlin: That'll last a week, max.

Julie: I'll take that wager, young lady. And I'll make one with you. I will not so much as bat an eyelash at a man, and you will stay out of trouble.

Kaitlin: You cannot live without a man. not even for a week.

Taylor: Morning, roomies Anyone want a protein scramble?

Julie: Nice to see you're making yourself at home, Taylor.

Taylor: Well, thanks for making me feel at home, Jules. Summer's room is just adorable. And I don't know how I ever lived without a home gym.

Kaitlin: Oh, this came for you today. Who's Henry Michael?

Taylor: Uh... Oh, Henri Michel? That's just, um, my French husband. I'm sure it's nothing. Excuse me.

Julie: You see? Man drama-- who needs it?

Kaitlin: Hey, Ernesto's looking pretty hot. Nice six-pack.

Julie: Where?

Kaitlin: Gotcha.

At Ryan's workplace

Ryan: Taylor, hey.

Taylor: Hi, Ryan. Are you working at El Pavo Guapo? You know, that means a handsome turkey?

Ryan: That's why I took the job.

Taylor: Hey, do you know when Seth's going to be back? I really need to talk to him.

Ryan: Sorry, gone for the weekend.

Taylor: You know, that shirt really brings out your eyes.

Ryan: It's black. What are you doing here, Taylor?

Taylor: Just in the mood for Mexican.

Ryan: Mm-hmm.

Taylor: Maybe the Macho Nacho Burrito wrap with extra guac. And... Oh, um, a favor.

Ryan: No, no, no, sorry.

Taylor: With Seth gone, you're the only one I can turn to.

Ryan: Well, I'm honored.

Taylor: Okay, so, I'm trying to get divorced, and I just found out that Henri Michel... Oh, that's my French husband. Um, he's coming to Newport and I know he's going to try and talk me out of it, and I could really use you there.

Ryan: No.

Taylor: I'm afraid to be alone with him. I'm afraid of his sensual powers. Ryan, the man is a sexual Jedi. Whatever he asks you to do, you just do it. It doesn't matter how depraved...

Ryan: Okay, some people are trying to eat here, including me someday, so...

Taylor: Ryan, please. If I go alone, I'll be back in France next week. You don't know how hard it was to leave. Seth and Summer are gone,my mom kicked me out, and... I have no one else. Look, just do me this one favor, and I'll leave you alone.

Ryan: Promise?

At Brown's college - Summer's bedroom

Che: Knock, knock. Hey, Summer, can you fact-check this flier on solar panels? It's for the rally tomorrow.

Summer: Che, I'd like to talk.

Che: Sure, man. What's up?

Summer: I haven't been completely honest with you about who I really am. This is my shoe collection. There's leather, suede, and the occasional calfskin boot.

Che: Whoa, my friend.

Summer: These are my magazines. I know which stars pump gas just like us, and who's on pump watch. And this is Marissa. She was my best friend, um, but she d*ed in a car accident on graduation night.

Che: Summer, I'm sorry. That's-That's really heavy.

Summer: Yeah, well, it's so heavy that I couldn't deal, so... I put all my energy towards being an activist, but that's not who I am. These shoes and these magazines-- that's me, but I hope we can still be friends.

Che: All I can do is be me, whoever that is. It's, uh... it's Dylan. The guy's a genius. Look, Summer, if you've found your place in this world, I am nothing but happy for you.

Seth: Hey. I put some cream in your coffee. I figured you'd be back on dairy.

Summer: Hey, uh, Che, this is my boyfriend, Seth. Seth, this is Che.

Che: Summer, you have a twin flame. I wish I knew you were coming into town. I would have made you a bracelet.

Seth: Oh, hey. Uh, where I come from, we just say hey.

Che: Well, to borrow your native tongue, hey. Listen, forget what I said about the rally. We got plenty of warriors for the fight. You two, just... be.

Summer: Thanks, Che.

Seth: What's that?

Summer: It's garbage.

At Sandy's office

Sandy: Hi, Jason. How you doing?

Jason: I just had a meeting with Kaminsky.

Sandy: Oh, the slowest talker in the world. It took forever. Forever.

Jason: Good to see you, man.

Sandy: Hey, uh... you got any plans this weekend?

Jason: Sandy, I've been working the past six Saturdays.

Sandy: No, no, I didn't mean that. I'm just saying that we could, you know, you and I, uh, we could do something.

Jason: Do something?

Sandy: Poker, pool, you know, a little small ball. If you're free. If not, no worries.

Jason: Can I get back to you on that?

Sandy: Oh, sure, yeah. Whatever.

Summer: God, this is so disgusting.

Seth: I don't know, I think you're being too hard on April. Derek's knee was... it was really messed up.

Summer: No, I just... I don't like this show anymore. All they do is create fake problems for fake people just to distract viewers from the real problems in the world.

Seth: Well, I don't think the network would go for a sexy teen soap set in the Damascus, but we can turn it off if you want. I just thought you liked it.

Summer: I'm just distracted. I haven't been keeping up on how much blow Lindsay Lohan's doing. And did you hear about JT and Cameron?

Seth: No, what?

Summer: I don't know. That is the point. I'm going to go get one of my magazines.

Seth: That sounds like the old Summer. I'm going to stay here and, uh, keep watching. You know, I have this thing where if I start something, I have to finish. Is that like a disease or a condition?

Summer: Don't really know, Cohen. I'm reading about who got lipo.

Yatch club

Ryan: You know, you might want to relax.

Taylor: Distract me. Tell me about this, um, cage fighting. It's something that I've been meaning to get into.

Ryan: Yeah? Yeah? Ask me another favor, I'll be happy to show you.

Taylor: Oh, Ryan Atwood with a side of sauce. I like it. You're going to have to do better, though, 'cause right now all I ca think of is him, my husband, and his arms, his smell... making love in the barn in Burgundy.

Ryan: Sounds like the perfect guy. Why would you want to divorce?

Taylor: Well, despite being agnostic in most things, I do believe in true love. And this was not it. Well, back to you and your life. What is your favorite fruit?

Ryan: Peaches.

Taylor: Oh, he used to say my breasts were like two, soft...

Ryan: Is that him?

Taylor: No, that's... his lawyer.

Lawyer: Madam.

Ryan: Is everything okay?

Taylor: No, not exactly.

Ryan: What did he say? What's wrong? What's going on?

Taylor: Oh, I just told him you were a soccer fan.

Ryan: Oh. Yeah, I like soccer.

At Brown's college - Summer's bedroom

Seth: Sorry today was such a bust.

Summer; What are you talking about? We totally cleaned out the mall.

Seth: Well, you threw your smoothie at a lady on the street.

Summer: Hey, that fur did not look faux.

Seth: Yeah, I just feel like your mind is someplace else.

Summer: My mind is on this adorable sweater right here. I'm going to try it on' with that bag we bought, because how cute would they look together? Now, if you don't mind, a little privacy.

Seth: Well, I enjoy watching you take off your clothes, I'm sure I'll enjoy watching you put them on.

Summer: Hey, this is a very intense process.

Seth: All right, actually this is perfect. I wanted to head over to Thayer Street and do a walking tour of ethnic foods. I can't be moving here if the shwarma is not up to par.

Summer: Well, bring me a kabob.

Che: Hey, Summer.

Summer: Che, hey, I wanted to know how the rally went.

Che: We marched, we chanted, and along the way, we may have even opened up a few eyes. We'll see.

Summer: Oh, that sounds great.

Che: Yeah, Summer, what are you doing?

Summer: Trying on a sweater. Hey, Seth and I are going to watch a movie here later if you want to come by.

Che: No, I can't. We're prepping for tomorrow night's debate.

Summer: Debate?

Che: They agreed to grant us an audience with the dean, present our proposal. Only thing not powered by the fuel of the sun is our passion.

Summer: Uh, well, tell everyone I said hi, and good luck.

Che: Yeah, thanks. So do you like it?

Summer: Huh? Like what?

Che: The new sweater.

Summer: No.

Yatch club

Kirsten: So you're really giving up on men?

Julie: Men are to me, what Chardonnay is to you. One sip and I'm upside down on a chandelier.

Kirsten: Not that you've ever done that. What's your point, Julie?

Julie: I'm just trying to set a good example for Kaitlin, develop my own interests, maybe my career, that is, if you'd still have me as a partner.

Kirsten: As I told you, New Matchis there for you whenever you want.

Julie: Thanks, Keeks. I was hoping you'd say that. Okay, so, I have so many new ideas about expanding. I went online. I checked out some office... Oh, there's Taryn.

Kirsten: Wow, she looks amazing. Did she have some work done?

Julie: She's had something.

Taryn: Kirsten, great to see you. Julie, I'm so sorry about Neil. I hope you plan to sue. You know, just because you aren't legal doesn't mean you're not entitled to some sort of...

Kirsten: Oh, it's Sandy. Excuse me. Hi, honey.

Sandy: Hey, guess what?

Kirsten: I'm not good at guessing.

Sandy: I'm going out.

Kirsten: I'm jealous, with who?

Sandy: Spitz! Spitzy to me.

Kirsten: He called?

Sandy: He called.

Kirsten: How about that? How about that?

Sandy: Maybe a little golf, maybe a drink after, watch the game.

Kirsten: Golfing, game watching, suddenly not so jealous.

Taryn: Thanks, but I don't think I'll be needing a dating service anymore.

Julie: Really? I didn't know you were seeing anyone.

Taryn: Oh, not someone... someones. Young ones. Men our age are so complicated. Young guys just like to have fun. And they are so grateful for a woman who knows what she's doing.

Julie: Oh, so grateful, and limber.

Taryn: Hey, a group of us are going out tomorrow night. You should come.

Julie: Uh, I'm trying to be a role model.

Taryn: Oh, mm-hmm. I'll call you.

Kirsten: Did Taryn run off already? Mm-hmm. What's she doing?

Julie: Him.

Harbour

Brad: Hey, Kaitlin! We got a guy who can hook us up with fake I.D.'s. It's awesome.

Kaitlin: Yeah. I think I'll pass.

Brad: You've wanted a fake I.D. since you were six.

Eric: Yeah, come on.

Brad: Yeah, and the guy's leaving town next week.

Kaitlin: Well, where is he going?

Eric: He's going to prison.

Brad: Yeah, for fraud. Because he's awesome.

Kaitlin: Look, you guys, I made a bet with my mom that I'd stay out of trouble. And this definitely sounds like trouble.

Brad: Dude, not if we don't get caught.

Eric: Dude, seriously.

Brad: Yeah, dude, seriously.

Kaitlin: Well, with a foolproof plan like that, how can I say no?
At Ryan's workplace

Taylor: Garcon?

Ryan: Ah! Taylor ! It's been a few hours since your last Macho Nacho. You must be starving.

Taylor: I was thinking of the mol. And, um, one more tiny little favor.

Ryan: Does it involve me standing around while you speak French? 'Cause I've already done that.

Taylor: No, no, no. I actually just need your signature. You see, before I can get divorced, I have to have someone attest to my character.

Ryan: That's in French.

Taylor: It's just the usual boilerplate. You know, never been to prison- well, me, not you. Never been married before, no contact with livestock, blah, blah, blah. So I think I have a pen.

Ryan: Uh, you know, actually, can I sign that after work? Just leave it here.

Taylor: Sure. Yes, okay. Thank you very much. So you don't speak French at all?

Ryan: No, why?

Taylor: Well, it must have been really boring for you today. Sorry.

Brown's college

Che: Hey, Seth, man, what's up?

Seth: Hey, I got some extra baba ghanoush.

Che: Oh, baba ghanoush. No thanks, man.

Seth: I'm all right. Where's Summer? I gave her a little time-out. It's not easy having house guests.

Che: What?! I thought you guys were having this great day, purchasing luxury goods, and eating things with faces.

Seth: Honestly, it could have gone a little better. I mean, you know, I support her, whatever she's into, but I really need this to work 'cause...

Summer: The people have spoken! We are of one voice, one mind and one heart! Yeah! I will not sleep, I will not eat, I will not rest until this hypocrisy ends. Solar panels on all of our dormitories, or we revolt!

Student: Who's with Summer? Yeah!

All: Yeah! Yeah!

Poolhouse

Ryan: Hey, man, how's your French?

Seth: Old Summer's been replaced by the real Summer, and she looks suspiciously like the new Summer.

Ryan: So she's still in her "Go Green" phase?

Seth: I don't think it's a phase, man. I think this is her life now, and it's obvious I don't fit in it. Uh, sorry, gotta go.

Ryan! Hey, wait, I've got to talk to you about Taylor... what...?

Brown's college

Summer: Didn't mean to eavesdrop.

Seth: It's okay.

Summer: Well, I knew you were lying last night when you said nothing was wrong.

Seth: Nothing is wrong; you're doing what people do at college-- discovering who you really are.

Summer: Believe me, I am as surprised as you are. But I'm still going to shave my legs and wash my hair, and be the best girlfriend that I can.

Seth: Well, you know, who can ask for more than that?

Summer: Think of all the new subjects we'll have to talk about.

Seth: I did explain the concept of recycling to you in tenth grade.

Summer: See, there's lots of places where we could use your help, Cohen.

Brown's college - Che's bedroom

Che: Please come in. Enter.

Seth: Hey... Oh! You're really nude. Why don't I... let me come back.

Che: No! Wait right there. I have a gift for you. My song.

Seth: Wow. Wow. That's really, uh... Anyways, listen, I kind of need your help.

Che: Yeah, bro, one second. Uh, I'm actually really honored you would ask me.

Seth: Oh, hey, that's cool, we can shake. We can shake. We can shake. And we're touching.

Golf course

Sandy: Oh! Fore!

Jason: Yeah, hi. Sorry!

Sandy: Rob, what are you doing?

Jason: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Bye. I'm sorry about that. My, my kid's got a rash. I got to go to the pharmacy after this.

Sandy: Oh, sorry.

Jason: Take another one. It was my fault.

Sandy: No, no, no! You're up. I'll play it from the parking lot.

Jason: I think I hit your car. It'd be an improvement. Sandy.. uh...You know, my kid doesn't have a rash. My wife's just calling, making sure I'm having a good time, you know, because I don't have that many guy friends anymore.

Sandy: Who does? Who's got the time?

Jason: I know, it's work, family, then more work, you know? When did it get so hard?

Sandy: Well, when we were kids, all you had to do was ask, hey, want to play some ball? And we didn't have any cell phones.

Jason: I turned mine off. I'm really sorry about that.

Sandy: Oh! I'm so sorry, man! I'm so sorry. It's the office. I'm turning it off.

Jason: I think I hit your car anyway.

At Cohen's

Kirsten: I love this space and I love the windows.

Julie: Plus it's by the beach, so there'd be lots of foot traffic and eye candy, not that I'm looking.

Kirsten: So I'll make an appointment for us for Monday? Are you doing anything tonight?

Julie: No, Kaitlin's with the twins, working on a science project, so I have the night all to myself.

Kirsten: Well, Sandy's out with a friend. Do you want to do something? I don't know-- takeout and a movie?

Julie: Two women spending Saturday night at home together. I love it. How very Whatever Happened To Baby Jane.

Kirsten: Go ahead, you can take it.

Julie: No, that's okay. Just a sec. Hello?

Taryn: It's Taryn. You joining us tonight?

Julie: Uh, actually, I'm here with Kirsten and we were thinking about maybe...

Taryn: Order in and watch a movie? Oh, honey, even with the wonders of elective surgery, you will only be this hot for so long. Have fun while you can. Julie, you still there?

Julie: I'll call you back.

Kirsten: Oh, I was just going to get some takeout menus. Do you know what you'd like to eat?

Julie: Kirsten, I feel like I'm coming down with something. I'm not feeling so hot. Do you mind if I take a rain check on our girl's night in?

Kirsten: Julie, did you just put on lipstick?

Julie: What? No, uh... I'm just a little flushed. I'll call you.

Parking

Kaitlin: Okay, I think that's the guy.

Brad: Kaitlin, what if he's packing heat?

Kaitlin: Okay, you guys just stay here. Money. Got what we talked about?

Man: In here. Great, so it's covered in lice and grease. Put your money in the hat and try and be cool about it.

Kaitlin: You think it's my first buy? It's been a pleasure.

Man: I'm available, by the way.

Kaitlin: That's heinous.

Nightclub

Julie: I don't know about this, Taryn. It might be too soon.

Taryn: Julie, I know how you feel. But there's one man who can always get me out on the dance floor. His name is Jose. Jose Cuervo. Have you met my friend Julie Cooper-- urban cougar.

Ryan's workplace

Taylor: Ryan! There you are. You know, I think there might be something wrong with your phone. I called you three times today.

Ryan: Six, actually.

Taylor: Oh, well, um, did you get a chance to look at that silly little document?

Ryan: Yeah! I did. And I had a question for you. Um, what does that mean?

Taylor: Oh, that's just lawyer speak. You know, just party of the first part, party of the second part.

Ryan: So it doesn't say we had sex, like, 30 times? Took me like five hours to translate that.

Taylor: Sorry.

Ryan: Yeah.

Taylor: It's just that without the consent of my husband, the only way I can get a divorce is if one of us was unfaithful. I just didn't think you'd sign if you knew the truth.

Ryan: Yeah, well, I've got a lot of half-eaten enchiladas to clear.

Taylor: Ryan, I have to meet that lawyer at the yacht club tonight, and if I don't have this signed, I'm going to have no choice but to go with him to France and try to work it out with Henri Michel, face-to-face.

Ryan: Which means you won't be able to keep coming here, which is a real shame.

Taylor: Well, did you at least read this part where I said what a great lover you are?

Ryan: Look, Taylor... this job, this is about all I can handle right now. You know?

Taylor: I shouldn't have dragged you in to this.

Ryan: Yeah, that's what I've been trying to say.

Taylor: It's just that I...don't have anyone else. It's kind of why I married a Frenchman in the first place. I mean, my mom hates me. I don't really know my dad, and last year was the first year I ever had friends. All of a sudden, I'm by myself in a foreign country, and I meet this guy who says he loves me. He wants to take care of me and... and... One too many bottles of Chateau Margot and a view from the Eiffel Tower, and why not? That's how Tom wooed Katie. Why not me?

Ryan: Well, look, I'm sorry you're going through all this. I'm just not the guy to help. Sorry.

Brown's college

Summer: Here they come. There you are.

Che: Sorry we're late. Earlier today, a caterpillar entered my room. I'm happy to say a butterfly emged.

Seth: Did you know that the amount of solar energy that touches the Earth's surface in 40 minutes is greater than all the energy required by the entire human population in a year?

Summer: Yes, I did know that.

Che: It's a thing of beauty, isn't it? Come on, friends.

Man: Oh, the board only allows students in the town meeting. Do you go here?

Seth: Uh, no... But I made this.

Summer: Can you just make an exception? It's for the good of the Earth.

Man: No, I'm afraid not.

Seth: Well, it's cool, you go ahead.

Summer: But it's your last night here. You can't spend it alone.

Seth: Summer, everybody in there is counting on you, okay? I can amuse myself for a few hours.

Summer: You're the best boyfriend ever.

Seth: Go change the world.

Ryan's workplace

Sandy: Looks like you're going to get a chance to meet one of my kids. Hey, Ryan.

Ryan: Hey.

Sandy: I'd like you to meet Jason Spitz from work.

Ryan: What's up? How you doing?

Sandy: We're about to go in and watch the game, get a bite to eat. Can you join us?

Ryan: Uh, you know, actually, I'm kind of b*at. But you guys go ahead. Nice to meet you.

Jason: Good to meet you.

Sandy: I'll be inside. Yeah. Is everything okay? 'Cause I'm guessing not really.

Ryan: I didn't get fired, I didn't punch any of my drunken customers, I'd say I'm great.

Sandy: One day at a time, one foot in front of the other. Eventually, it'll get easier.

Ryan: Yeah, why, because I'll start to forget about her?

Sandy: No, no. You're never going to forget about her. But... life goes on.

Ryan: Not the same life.

Sandy: No. But you're going to have to make this life work.

Ryan: Yeah, but I do, you know? I got a job. I go there, I go home. I talk to as few people as possible.

Sandy: If it were only that easy. Unfortunately for you, getting mixed up in other people's lives, helping them out of jams, it seems to be what you do, like it or not. I'd hate to see you turn your back on that. It'd be like rning your back on yourself. Come on, join us, would you? Get a little food, watch the second half of the game.

Ryan: Actually, there's something I've got to do. Uh, you guys have fun.

Sandy: All right.

Ryan: All right.

Nightclub

Man: Cover's 20 bucks, just pay inside.

Kaitlin: Let me do the talking, okay?

Man: You got an I.D.? It's cool. Cover's 20 bucks, just pay inside.

Kaitlin: Cool.

Man: Sorry, boys, not tonight.

Brad: What? Why?

Kaitlin: I'm sorry, is there a problem with their I.D.'s? Because they're with me.

Man: There's a problem with them. See, I have the right to refuse entry to anybody. And tonight that includes dorks and virgins. So just b*at it, guys.

Brad: Fine.

Eric: Whatever, man.

Brad: That blows. Come on, Kaitlin, let's go.

Eric: Yeah, you can't go in there without us.

Brad: Who's going to protect you?

Kaitlin: See you guys later.

Man: Need you to move aside, guys.

Ryan's workplace

Sandy: This is great. Watching the game, having a beer. For five minutes, the sky isn't falling. A chance to be stupid again.

Jason: Here's to being stupid for five minutes.

Sandy: Hey, honey.

Kirsten: How's it going?

Sandy: Great. Spitz just told me a story about how his kid's walked in on him and his wife when they were playing Strip Scrabble.

Kirsten: Strip Scrabble? I'm glad things are going well.

Sandy: Yeah. So how are you doing? You having fun with Julie?

Kirsten: Well, Julie had a mysterious illness. So I'm home alone. I just finished watching a movie and I thought I'd check in. I love you.

Sandy: I love you. Bye.

Yatch club

Taylor: I don't love him. I never did. I was just scared.

Ryan: Sorry I'm late. You have that paper for me to sign?

Lawyer: It won't be necessary. I may be a lawyer, but I'm also a Frenchman. I know love when I see it. I will inform Henri Michel.

Taylor: Ryan, I...

Ryan: Don't worry about it.

Brown's college

Che: We stand before you, an organized student body. We have a question. Where does this burden fall?

Summer: Hey, sleepyhead.

Seth: Hey.

Summer: Hey.

Seth: Did we win?

Summer: Not yet, but Che suggested a filibuster, so it could go on all night. I think we got 'em.

Seth: That's great.

Summer: Yeah. When I showed them my cost benefit analysis chart, jaws actually dropped.

Seth: Of course they did. There's all these old people in there that are actually listening to me. Me! It felt better than when I got 70% off that Marc Jacobs dress with the broken zipper.

Seth: I wish I could have been there.

Summre: Instead you slept in the hallway on your last night in Providence.

Seth: I'm totally fine. Listen, go back in there and knock it out of the park.

Summer: Was that a sports reference?

Seth: Maybe. See, I know people can change.

Poolhouse

Ryan: Yeah?

Taylor: Oh, I'm sorry. Were you asleep?

Ryan: No.

Taylor: Oh, well, then my timing is impeccable, as always. So I wanted to thank you. So I made you peach torte. Yeah, after I got married, Henri Michel made me take a cooking class. Um, I failed everything except tortes. Tortes I rocked.

Ryan: Uh, well, that's great, but, um...

Taylor: You're not a dessert guy. Okay. Well, um, I could make you lunch, or... dinner. I have to pay you back somehow.

Ryan: I love dessert.

Taylor: Okay. Fork.

Ryan: Thanks.

Taylor: Yeah? All right. Wow. Who would have thought, six months ago, you and I, sitting here, sharing a torte.

Ryan: Not me.

Taylor: You know, at graduation, in my commencement address, I said there's no one older than a high school senior, no one younger than a college freshman. It was one of the few parts that wasn't in Latin. And uh, it's true. Because I feel like everything I thought I knew, everything that I expected, is just kind of gone out the window.

Ryan: Yeah, life is definitely unpredictable.

Taylor: Yeah. But I guess I'm realizing that that could be a good thing. You know? Because it's exciting not knowing what's going to happen.

Ryan: Taylor, this is a great torte. Really good.

At the airport

Seth: Can I have the next flight to John Wayne Airport, please?

Man: 8:00 a.m. tomorrow morning.

Seth: Come on.

Machine: Hey, Summer. I know flying home early is your move, but I stole it. I just wanted to give you room to keep doing what you're doing, because I think it's pretty amazing. So if you don't hear from me for a while, it's not because I don't love you, it's because I do.

End of the episode.